5.3

1. Mar 9, 2012
    I really think the vast plethora of negative reviews of this game comes from some deep-seated bias, anger that Bioware did not topple WoW in the MMO dept., or maybe some dissatisfaction that the "finale" of this series didn't blow their minds to the unrealistic degree they expected. So here's a nice passionless review. This game is a clear upgrade to ME2, gameplay-wise, graphics-wise andI really think the vast plethora of negative reviews of this game comes from some deep-seated bias, anger that Bioware did not topple WoW in the MMO dept., or maybe some dissatisfaction that the "finale" of this series didn't blow their minds to the unrealistic degree they expected. So here's a nice passionless review. This game is a clear upgrade to ME2, gameplay-wise, graphics-wise and even immersion-wise. You'll notice that negative reviews don't have specific game design elements they have problems with (just sweeping grievances, like "Dev. time wasted on multiplayer"). This is because every game element that was added or removed was done so with painstaking care. Personally, I believe Bioware's core competency is their ability to immerse the player in a story/universe. This is done exceptionally well in this game-- emotions run high. I was genuinely distraught when the little boy is take out in the beginning which set me on a fiery revenge path on the reapers. That being said, Bioware works their butts off to make a fun single-player gameplay experience and it pays off. While I would never compare actual gameplay steez to a Developer like Blizzard, Valve and Stunlock Studios--companies of which gameplay is most important-- I have to say Bioware has created a uniquely engaging combat system. Of the "open-world" complaints, I do not quite understand. There are clearly more options at any given time in this game then in any of the previous Mass Effects. At any time there are approximately 4-6 planets (each with 1-3 missions) that I can go to; some of these are central to the story line and many are "side-line." Personally, I don't really care about this element of gameplay (I'm in the, GTA-->overrated boat--not that I haven't dumped days into each since GTA2), I plan on playing all of the content so being able to "choose" the order really doesn't seem important to me. Overall, this game is a 9.4 in my book. The long developed "KOTOR" style of RPG is my current favorite in the single-player category. A worthy distraction from real gaming (SC2 break!) for a few weeks :D. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    Seriously? The hate surprises if it's legitimate. Yes the choices weren't so rewarding as they should be, but the story was epic and the game play was quite awesome. By far the best in the series. My only major gripe was the companions weren't as colorful as previously, but I seriously enjoyed the big levels and more relentless game play. There is greater amount of action, more variety,Seriously? The hate surprises if it's legitimate. Yes the choices weren't so rewarding as they should be, but the story was epic and the game play was quite awesome. By far the best in the series. My only major gripe was the companions weren't as colorful as previously, but I seriously enjoyed the big levels and more relentless game play. There is greater amount of action, more variety, the narrative of the characters tied in nicely with huge story. Tons of guns. The negative feedback feels like a bandwagon jump and an exaggeration of the let down of the choices, but purely on a game point standpoint there was a great deal of dynamic content that I'm definitely looking forward to replaying. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a lot of hate blowing over on many forums and here about several aspects of ME3 and some of them are well founded but others are immature whining. Despite all of this I still give ME3 a 9/10 because the issues surrounding the game account for so little in comparison to the entire game and I have an objective and not emotional perspective.

Anyway now for my review. I will break it down by area.

Gameplay: 8
    The gameplay is pretty good. There are plenty of ammo resupply locations and even though a bit clunky the new movement system is pretty cool. It allows for a much more visceral combat style as enemies can use real tactics and maneuvers to out flank you or dodge attacks.

I thought that the AI was improved overall from both of the previous games, Regular was much harder then it's ME2 counter part, however I cannot make a full distinction on this till I play a new game + because you get access to higher level upgrades.

The level design is good and bad at times but it is awesome where it counts. In the special missions relating to significant story locations the mapping is top notch as always. In side missions though there are some places where the mapping could be better.

There are a crap ton, literally, of weapons, armor, and mods in ME3 and it really does evoke ME1's massive arsenal. All of the weapons from ME2, DLC as well, are present as well as many entirely new weapons. We have many more armor and color choices and suits from ME2 also make a come back as well. All of the ME2 stuff you have to buy through the citadel though, for at least 45k. Specter Gear makes it;s way back home as well and those are even more expensive.

The weapon weight thing is a non-issue toward the later end of the game because you can upgrade your weight, certain weapons have mods that make them weigh much less, and upgrades/team abilities can be used to counteract the increased cool down. I was able to carry one of each weapon with only a 125% cool down increase in the final mission when taking Garrus and Tali along.

Story: 7
    The reason this is rated as low as it is, is because of the endings. In each case the same thing happens in general while what happens specifically to Shepard changes. This is lazy story writing imo but that does not make the endings bad. I actually am glad there is no "happy" ending. No happy ending could possible come about in Shepard's Saga. Too much has had to be sacrificed, too many lives lost, and too much ius at stake to justify Shepard gettingout of this with only a scratch or two. In my opinion even letting him live was VERY generous of Bioware. Shepard is not a god, not a legend; he is just a man, another marine fighting to protect what's his.

However they did leave many things unexplained such as why the Normandy fled from the battle, how your end mission squad mates end up back on the Normandy, and where the Normandy is headed to. If they explained these things the endings would be less vitriolic, some people who wanted a fantasy ending would still be mad but the rest of us who rationalized why they had done this would not be left with these gaping plot holes.

Many things from both games carry over and much of the lore is introduced as well. For example if you let Balack live in Bringing Down the Sky he shows up on the citadel in ME3. In this dialog there is a mention of the Leviathan of Dis; the first Reaper to be discovered.

As far as I know the only playable characters are Javik, Garrus, Tali, Liara, James, EDI, and Ashley at this time. Almost every character from the previous two games makes an appearance, even the DLC squad mates from ME2.

Music: 10
    The score for Mass Effect 3 is the best part about the game. Listening to "Leaving Earth" will send chills up your spine because of how haunting and nuanced the song is. There are many throw backs to music from both games, for example the song on Mars is reminiscent of the one they used on Therum when you first go to find Liara. The ending credits song is also similar to the one used in ME1 although it has been remixed.

The score is amazing and out does ME2 by a long shot.

Graphics: 8
    This one is tricky because all of the issues graphically are likely from driver issues. Almost all new games require a patch to work correctly and there are many problems in this game that I see being stemmed from the lack of a patch at the moment. Shading is pretty bad, it is not very seamless and often there are some seriously problematic issues with the texture lighting. I will be updating my 4870X2's drivers later on today before I start my new game+ to see if anything gets fixed.

The textures you see in the demo are still present but they have been worked on and are much better quality then what was present in the demo. Most of the cloths for non-major characters are still texture based and even some of the clothes for main characters are texture based.
  4. Mar 9, 2012
    The game is a very good step up on the story telling from Mass Effect 2, there is just more to the telling this particularly go around, lots of dialogue. It's definitely better on story telling than the first, where you get snippits and bits constantly, instead of running up to characters only to have them drop an encyclopedia out of there mouth like what happened in the first one.

I'm

I'm also really liking that the whole encyclopedia effect has been relegated to being more optional, as it does sometimes pop up, but after the important conversation. So, you end up getting back story after actually meeting a character, and you don't feel some prescient need to roll through it all.

The way items works feels a great deal more in depth than ME2. There just seem to be more options, which is good. I still preferred the item system from the first, but ME3's items are superior to the seemingly non existent options of ME2.

The expanded romance options from the first two games are really nice. I always felt left out and somewhat prudish playing the first two with having so few options. And for all the people complaining about "gay romance" ruining the game, it's low key, fitted incredibly well to the game and story. Nothing feels out of place, it's just part of the world. I really liked randomly running into a few NPC's that would briefly touch on their own relationships as well. It makes the world feel more alive than the previous two titles.
  5. Sep 2, 2014
    Top notch graphics, sounds, music and story. Love the character development among the companions and the story that each brought to the mass effect universe. I love the writing and hope there is more DLC to come.
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    I've played ME3 for about two hours now, so far I'm absolutely loving it. I honestly don't know why some many players here are **** about the game; I only finished ME2 a few weeks ago (yes I was late to the party) and to me ME3 just seems like more of the same awesome that ME3 was. Gameplay is great, really enjoying the new tactics and challenging AI (flanking, grenades etc). Running thisI've played ME3 for about two hours now, so far I'm absolutely loving it. I honestly don't know why some many players here are **** about the game; I only finished ME2 a few weeks ago (yes I was late to the party) and to me ME3 just seems like more of the same awesome that ME3 was. Gameplay is great, really enjoying the new tactics and challenging AI (flanking, grenades etc). Running this on an HP ENVY 17 and it looks fantastic; everyone complaining about the "overdone shadows" is simply revealing their ignorance of the game, you have to turn on "dynamic shadows" and then it looks great, otherwise yes everything looks blacked out in pools of inky black shadow. If your rig can't handle this setting, upgrade, end of story.

In summary, very pleased so far and looking forward to getting deeper into this game, sad it's the last one in the series.
  7. Mar 10, 2012
    Look.. it's a fun game. Loved ME1, Loved ME2.. ME3 is pretty good. There is no doubt in my mind that I will replay the whole series over again, and I'm satisfied with what was offered for part 3.

The problem perhaps is people have spent the last 5 years expecting something "SO GREAT" that no matter what product was released, there is going to be some room for disappointment. In any case, you have a very solid, playable game - that improves on the shortcomings of the two previous games. Is it perfect? I played through the games, I read the books, and I even read some of the comics. In my opinion, this ties things up nicely.

Absolutely not. Find me a game that is.

Have I had a lot of fun playing it? Yes.

Was it worth my money? Yes.

Will I be purchasing DLC? Absolutely.
  8. Mar 10, 2012
    Honestly, I really don't understand the overwhelming amount of negative fan reviews for this game. I can understand some of the problems people have, such as the ending and such, but that really shouldn't determine the score of the entire game. For me, the game was amazing. The characters were still enjoyable and deep, the missions were epic, the environments were gorgeous, and theHonestly, I really don't understand the overwhelming amount of negative fan reviews for this game. I can understand some of the problems people have, such as the ending and such, but that really shouldn't determine the score of the entire game. For me, the game was amazing. The characters were still enjoyable and deep, the missions were epic, the environments were gorgeous, and the multiplayer is repetitive but addicting. The PC version also performs very well, even on my somewhat dated laptop. If you have any investment or interest in the Mass Effect universe, this game is an absolute must-have. Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2012
    A great sequel, with enhanced gameplay mechanics as well as bringing back aspects of the original that were missed, and a story that does not disappoint.
  10. Mar 11, 2012
    A fantastic production, a decent FPS, and a slim RPG. The story-telling and voiceover work is phenomenal, and it's just beautiful to look at. The gameplay is extremely easy, however, but that's true of the first two games as well. RPG and sci-fi fans will love the world-building and character exploration, even if there's a lack of depth in the mechanics. Forget all the whining about theA fantastic production, a decent FPS, and a slim RPG. The story-telling and voiceover work is phenomenal, and it's just beautiful to look at. The gameplay is extremely easy, however, but that's true of the first two games as well. RPG and sci-fi fans will love the world-building and character exploration, even if there's a lack of depth in the mechanics. Forget all the whining about the ending and romance choices (the amount of complaints on this is sad to see in 2012), it's a journey well worth taking. Play it as a trilogy; to get the most out of this, start with the first two. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2012
    The Game was awesome, never played something better or equal before ------ and then i come to the end, now i hate it .... WHY BIOWARE WHY!!!?!?! i dont have the heart do play this a 2nd time :(
  12. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished ME3. Overall I'd say ME3 is certainly one of The games in 2012. I imported my character from ME2 and I didn't experience anything ill / illogical (as have been claimed) as a result. Everything felt logical story'wise. When it comes to ME3 itself, there aren't much you can honestly critisize in the game; animation of the characters (especially lip movement / speech sync) isn't exactly great work, and the hunting for artifacts / war assets isn't that exciting (probably the most dull part of game). During the 30 hours I played the game, I didn't experience much any bigger bugs (and zero fatal crashes) - I experienced much more bugs in ME2. In ME3 the main story, missions, characters, dialogs, choices you can make, graphics in general, soundworks ... all in all it creates a truly impressive (and addictive) scifi world that takes you in. It feels like you'd be playing a blockbuster scifi movie. When it comes to the ending of the game, I can't understand all the negative feedback of it. Perhaps it annoys people that the main character "does not always live happily ever after", dunno, but I'll only recommend this game to anyone who likes hardcore scifi. The last time action game felt as much movie'like and entertaining in all aspects to me, was Half-Life 2 and its' episodes. Expand
  13. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is a great game. It has the expansiveness of the first one, the improvements on the combat system of ME2, and has the great story and character depth you would expect from a Mass Effect game. All the class powers have been tweaked enough to feel fresh and the new weight capacity dynamic gives you lots of flexibility. Want to focus on using powers? Fine, just take one weapon and boom, 200% bonus cooldown reduction. Want to use mainly weapons? Fine, pick one of everything if you want. The multiplayer adds a new bit of flexibility into the game as well, allowing you to skip some side missions if you want and still get a good war asset score. It's also pretty addicting if you actually try and play it, though it really IS totally optional. I will say that you will have to be pretty exhaustive with the side quests if you want to do only single player, and it might not be possible to get a high score without an imported Shepard. As far as the ending goes, I will admit to being pretty disappointed and would have given this game a 10 rating otherwise. Since the whole game is thrilling and a joy to play, I only took off 1 point, but if the conclusion is all you care about, don't get your hopes up too high. The Mass Effect Trilogy is definitely no fairy tale, but the ending scene doesn't seem to offer much closure as far as how your companions fared, let alone the rest of the galaxy or even Shepard himself. I think some people have definitely gone overboard with their outrage, but as a longtime fan of the series, I did feel let down by the too-short conclusion of a three-game trilogy. Expand
  14. Mar 11, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is a really good game, the story is written very well.
    the ending is a drawback though. the day one DLC is also a problem, because its should have in game.
    but all together mass effect 3 have a lot to offer including a multiplayer mod which is pretty good if I do say so myself - and I do.
  15. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, despite a few flaws. Compared to Mass Effect 2, ME3 seems less polished. Graphically, the game looks fantastic, particularly the character animations and faces. However, there are some of the slow-loading textures that plagued the the first game, though not as abundant or drastic looking. I have also sparsely encountered this weird "glitch" whereMass Effect 3 is a fantastic game, despite a few flaws. Compared to Mass Effect 2, ME3 seems less polished. Graphically, the game looks fantastic, particularly the character animations and faces. However, there are some of the slow-loading textures that plagued the the first game, though not as abundant or drastic looking. I have also sparsely encountered this weird "glitch" where characters heads turn back and forth sporadically during conversations; there have even been one or two incidents where a character is fully glitched out of whole cut-scenes. Overall, though, the presentation is very well done. The sound is superb, from the voice-acting to the orchestral background music, living up to the Mass Effect name. However, the music doesn't stick out to me as well as the music from the second game. In terms of gameplay, the game is the best in the series, with solid shooting, squad, and cover mechanics; my only qualm with it is that the space bar, used for cover, is also used to roll (double-click) and interact with the environment, and when trying to perform one of these actions one may perform one of the others. The menus are more streamlined, except for the journal. Perhaps my biggest issue with ME3 is the journal. In the second game, your journal was separated into two categories: main missions and secondary missions. If you clicked on one of the missions, an outline would appear and display what you should do next in a mission. This is gone in ME3 and all of the mission appear under one category, and are not very organized. The codex is strangely also located under the journal, but this for me is not an issue. There is also the matter of obtaining secondary missions. In the second game, one had to engage in conversation with characters in an area to start sidequests. In ME3, one simply overhears conversations in an area and most of the secondary missions are automatically started. This feels less interactive and, simply, less engaging. My last issue with ME3 is searching the galaxy. While some (or more likely many) did not like the planet scanning/mining feature of the second game, I enjoy it, making me feel that I had to explore the whole galaxy and read all of the lore. In the third game, there a new system that involves avoiding Reapers in the galaxy; if they catch you while you are exploring a system and scanning objects, it's game over. While this system is fun, it also feels limiting. These issues aside, Mass Effect 3 is overall a wonderful game. It is definitely the most emotionally engaging game of the trilogy, and does not skimp on any story-telling quality. It is amazing to see how one's actions in the first two games culminates in the third game. While I do wish that your squad was larger than six options (downloadable content aside), the squadmates in combat and in conversation are seemingly flawless (graphical hitches aside). I highly recommend Mass Effect 3, but I even more highly recommend you play the first two games before this one for a truly emotional, interactive, and exciting experience! Expand
  16. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 had me laughing, crying and truly entertained for 35 hours. It deserves recognition for pulling all those emotions out of a player, and to do it so consistently. The action and continuing romance of the series blew my mind. The developers listened to its fans when improving these two aspects of the game. My Love Interest (Liara) was so well written, and the time that herMass Effect 3 had me laughing, crying and truly entertained for 35 hours. It deserves recognition for pulling all those emotions out of a player, and to do it so consistently. The action and continuing romance of the series blew my mind. The developers listened to its fans when improving these two aspects of the game. My Love Interest (Liara) was so well written, and the time that her and Shepard did have together was meaningful. Playing this trilogy has been an honour and I hope Bioware continues creating titles that span numerous games like they did with Shep because after a span of 3 games, I felt like I really knew those NPCs and I was emotionally invested.

Bioware also has a special place in my heart for creating same-sex characters and they will always have my respect for making that happen with a high-quality story.

Day 1 DLC? I don't care. Bioware makes the kind of games that I want to play, and if they create more content, I will gladly pay for that content.
  17. Jun 27, 2012
    Bioware stepped up and made the changes that bring the game to what it should have been. The game is not complete. As such my rating is what I feel the product should be alloted based on its story, gameplay, and functionality.
  18. Mar 12, 2012
    It's fun to play, the game is beautiful and very addictive. Maybe the story is a bit too linear, but on the other hand I didn't expect this game to be similar to Skyrim. I don't understand s many negative opinions about this game - I have signed up for a metacritic account especially to provide my review as I have very positive feeling about this game - and I think the average user scoreIt's fun to play, the game is beautiful and very addictive. Maybe the story is a bit too linear, but on the other hand I didn't expect this game to be similar to Skyrim. I don't understand s many negative opinions about this game - I have signed up for a metacritic account especially to provide my review as I have very positive feeling about this game - and I think the average user score is way too low. Sorry but I must go -going back to the gameplay ;) Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2012
    I'll make this quick: This game is just as amazing as the previous two. BioWare made some excellent gameplay-wise decisions, the action is fast-paced and intense, the story is intense, too. The soundtrack is awesome, as well. It's the first game since...well, Mass Effect 2 that I actually enjoyed playing. I know that the ending upsets many people BUT rating the game with 3 points or lessI'll make this quick: This game is just as amazing as the previous two. BioWare made some excellent gameplay-wise decisions, the action is fast-paced and intense, the story is intense, too. The soundtrack is awesome, as well. It's the first game since...well, Mass Effect 2 that I actually enjoyed playing. I know that the ending upsets many people BUT rating the game with 3 points or less because you don't like 5% of the game is just childish and, frankly, total BS. I can understand that you don't like the ending, I don't like it too much, either. But that doesn't change the fact that the remaining 95% of the game are simply awesome. Get your sh...stuff together, kids. Expand
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    This is the first time I played the mass effect games. Got to say for a first time user I'm really satisfied with this game. Never being a fan at R P Gs I didn't know what to expect with this game. Being a fan of F P S I been use to the run on gun thing didn't know if this game would be for me. Mass effect has done a good job of giving me an adventure of a rpg wit sweet battles of aThis is the first time I played the mass effect games. Got to say for a first time user I'm really satisfied with this game. Never being a fan at R P Gs I didn't know what to expect with this game. Being a fan of F P S I been use to the run on gun thing didn't know if this game would be for me. Mass effect has done a good job of giving me an adventure of a rpg wit sweet battles of a fps . On top of the cool shoot outs the graphics are top notch for console. This game also has great voice overs . I'm my opinion it's one of the best games to make the characters seem human with all the interaction you get . This review is my personal thoughts on this game. But I will say if u tired of the same old same old games and u never played any of the mass effects give this one a chance u might discover something new and fun Expand
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    %99 masterpiece and 1% of an ending that leaves much to be desired. Don't listen to all the QQ's about this game it is absolutely amazing and a great ride through the end. All your choices matter in what forces you can recruit to save Earth. The combat is streamlined and there are plenty of weapons. Lots of emotions run rampant throughout the game and really dig deep, but in a good way. I%99 masterpiece and 1% of an ending that leaves much to be desired. Don't listen to all the QQ's about this game it is absolutely amazing and a great ride through the end. All your choices matter in what forces you can recruit to save Earth. The combat is streamlined and there are plenty of weapons. Lots of emotions run rampant throughout the game and really dig deep, but in a good way. I was a bit weary on the multiplayer aspect but it actually delivers as a fun " BLOPS zombie" type gaming experience. Fantastic game I would recommend to everyone that is a fan of RPG's. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    Another great story from the folks at bioware, tons of new things to do and places to explore. A couple weird looking animations that can be obnoxious but do not take away from game play or storyline. as for METACRITIC, the site has gone to the trolls that give every game they can a 0 and most likely don't even own the game.
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    I don't understand what people are talking about. Granted, it is a bit depressing but the best entry in the series. There is so much to it. And the ending isn't disappointing as people are pointing it out. In fact, it was a very suiting one! Don't listen to people, they are nuts!
  24. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd like to start by suggesting that people ignore all of the knee-jerk 0 or 1 score reviews given to this game, many of which are being written by people who admittedly haven't even played it. Mass Effect 3 is not a bad game, it's not even a mediocre game. It is a FANTASTIC game with an admittedly subpar and unsatisfying ending, and a large number of people are losing sight of the context because of their (understandable) attachment to the series as a whole.

To begin, let me state my biggest pros and cons from the previous two games:

Mass Effect 1:
    Pros: Fantastic, engaging, compelling story with interesting characters and a rich background.
    Cons: Clunky mechanics and gameplay

Mass Effect 2:
    Pros: Vastly improved gameplay mechanics, well-developed character-oriented stories
    Cons: Main storyline is underdeveloped in comparison to all the time you spend on the individual character stories, RPG customization elements severely dumbed down

Now let me say what Mass Effect 3 did about the problems in the previous games, first regarding the gameplay mechanics and the RPG customization elements:
    The gameplay in ME3 is the best in the series by far. While the cover controls are somewhat clunky at first, they aren't difficult to get used to. ME2 was absurdly easy even on the hardest difficulties, and there was very little variation in enemy tactics, while ME3 is far more challenging and presents much more differences between the tactics and abilities of different enemies.

The RPG elements of ME3 are far better than either of the previous two installations of the series. Instead of having an enormous, confusing pile of weapons and equipment with no easy way to sort(ME1), or having almost no choices to make whatsoever because each new item you get is a clear upgrade over the last(ME2), you get a system of interchangeable weapons with varying stats, each suiting different preferences, and each can be modified further to allow everyone to create a customized setup that suits their playstyle. Instead of having tons of skill points to split among tiny incremental updates to two dozen skills(ME1), or having a meager set of abilities with only four ranks and one minor specialization each(ME2), you now have a healthy mix of both active and passive abilities, with each giving three opportunities for further specialization, allowing two people playing the same character class to end up with drastically different abilities.

Now, to the most important part of Mass Effect, the story. I'll try to keep the spoilers as generic as possible. ME3 made two big improvements over ME2 in this regard. First, it made the story drive the game again like ME1, instead of the characters like ME2. Second, it managed to make everything feel connected to a larger purpose. Everything you do in ME3, even down to the most seemingly menial tasks, all has a feeling of being part of the greater aim of preparing the galaxy for war. I did every side mission I could find while I was playing ME3 and never once did I feel like I was doing something that felt out of place in my effort to prepare the galaxy to fight the Reapers. Within the main story missions, the writing is great, the characters are compelling, and there are far more choices that leave you stuck thinking about a morally gray outcome than many of the more black-and-white choices of the previous games. I know many people are upset at the fact that many ME2 characters get little more than a short token appearance, and some of them die in unavoidable fashion, but I think these people are missing the point that A) all of them could have died in ME2 so there's no way they could all be written into major roles, and B) part of the impact of ME3 is showing that death is an unavoidable consequence of war. On the whole I found the main storyline to be exciting, compelling, and well worth the price of admission.

My gripes with Mass Effect 3, like many others, regard the ending. First of all, I think the segment of the game on Earth is much too short. For the amount of time we spent building these assets I expected a bigger and more complex finale, which is one area where ME2 excelled by breaking up the final mission into the various segments with different goals. The finale on the citadel, while it does bring closure to the storyline, is unsatisfying mainly for its lack of connection to all the choices you made previously. The player is left to imagine the ramifications of Shepard's last choice and legacy of other decisions but doesn't get any of the exposition we were all hoping for. The war assets also have much too little an effect at the very end.

What it comes down to is that Bioware made an incredible game that loses its coherence in the final hours. I'd give the first 90% a 9.5/10 and the ending a 5/10, and I'm hoping that Bioware responds to the criticism and does right by their fans, because this game, and this series as a whole, deserve it.
  25. Mar 14, 2012
    The beautiful game, a milestone in the history of gaming. The only negative is that the videos and the cutscenes does not affect the passage of side quests and important decisions that you take in the game. 9.0
  26. Mar 14, 2012
    I really enjoyed Mass Effect. It's by far the best out of the series in my judgement. I'll start off with my problems with it because they are only few and minor. The biggest one being the space button for cover and running... It takes a bit of getting used to. My Shep died a few times because he took cover instead of running away from a blood thirsty husk. The second one is the subtitles,I really enjoyed Mass Effect. It's by far the best out of the series in my judgement. I'll start off with my problems with it because they are only few and minor. The biggest one being the space button for cover and running... It takes a bit of getting used to. My Shep died a few times because he took cover instead of running away from a blood thirsty husk. The second one is the subtitles, they are a bit small to read from a distance which is for people who don't have English as their first language. Lastly, the running animations. They look a bit ridiculous, but are okay once you get used to them. Mass effect was never about the game play for me anyway.

The face importing issue is a real let down, but don't worry too much about this, Bioware have promised to get a fix out ASAP. Make your first play through a new game instead of an import and by the time you're ready to do an import for your second game, the issue will likely be worked out. Now to what I liked. The plot and characters were both really good, and that includes the endings which a lot of people seem to hate. Without spoiling the game, Shepard's story ends, but there isn't complete closure. Some questions are left open to be answered in a future Mass Effect game. You're left to imagine what might happen and look forward to whatever Bioware comes up with next. The game is also much funnier and more emotional than the previous games. I almost got a bit teary in places. The writers did a really good job at making players invest emotions into the characters and races of the universe. To some up, please please, please ignore any rating which goes below 5 or 6. All these ones and zeroes are totally uncalled for and coming from people who either haven't played the game, or hate the developer. I can promise that you'll enjoy ME3 if you give it a try.
  27. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me begin by saying I LOVE the Mass Effect series. I have most of the comic books and the novels, (yes the ones with GAPING errors too) and I played the first two games in all the platforms. (though I only own a PC and a PS3 now) seeing as I could only get a complete experience in the PC version, this is the version I chose to play ME3 with. So here's my experience with it.

The gameplay is absolutely beautiful. nicely balanced, the weapons and powers are very responsive, the sound effects for the guns have DEFINITELY improved. And the upgrade mechanic? It addressed one of my biggest problems with ME2, which was the lack of choices and customization - along with not knowing what the hell the actual weapon stats were. The graphics and have definitely improved, the HUD still clean as ever, and animation.. well, I'll get into that in a bit.

But why do we even bother playing Bioware games in the beginning, what are they really known for. the story, oh the story. We fall in the world they create, immerse ourselves in the vast and endless universe, and live the life of a character we choose to create. we interact with characters that are deeper than some people we meet in the real world, and fall in love with a few of them. We take on missions upon missions that seems more ridiculous than the last and we come out of it with a stupid grin on our face knowing the next one's going to be even more ridiculous - and absolutely satisfying.
    So this was to be the finale to one of the biggest Sci-fi epic of our generation, and they did it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Mordin, but when he walked into that elevator, I let go of my mouse and keyboard, and sat back as I stared at my screen in utter sadness. When Thane jumped in to save me against Kai Leng at the Citadel, I cheered in excitement. I ended century long wars between species, saved and discovered new ones, and most importantly, united them all in a single force to be reckoned with. All of this for that final moment, when the battle that all 3 games have been leading up to was about to happen. And it all went to ****

I'll talk about my problems with the ending in a second, but first, the bugs. After I took out reaper's AA cannon, there's a short period where I have to hold the ground until transport comes and picks me up. during which both my teammates froze in place, and stood there as if nothing was happening as Cannibals tore them a new one. I don't know how many times I used the Unity skill, and how many times I died, but it sure was frustrating. Then when I went to go talk to TIM, my paragon choices were grayed out. I did a full paragon playthrough and my meter was full. I thought, "maybe I missed something." so i just went with, and did some research later. Turns out, I wasn't the only one. your final morality choice in the game has a bug? This is truly unacceptable.

So, the ending. There's a lot of talks about this being a "meta-game experience" and "it's just all a dream." And that bioware will sell extra ending as DLC. Now that's an interesting thought, "extra" endings for extra money. First of all, that makes it sound like there was an ending at all. Second of all, no. When I pay 60 dollars for a game (or 80 for CE) I expect a full game with a full ending. Not "ending coming soon via DLC" screen.
    And if it truly is the real ending? I think that's even worse. What happened to all the choices I made. All the people I saved and united? Regardless of the plot holes (please do look them up, some are quite critical) if a game is over, I want to see the result of my actions, especially in a game where player choice matters so much.

all in all. it's amazing: the story, the character, the gameplay, IF you leave out the ending. There had better be an explanation in the near future - NOT in a form of a paid DLC - otherwise I may never touch the series ever again.
  28. Vic
    Mar 14, 2012
    I give this game 9/10 Good: Awesome story, memorable characters, great ending (completes the story, no cliffhangers, !watch the credits there's a scene after it!), awesome soundtrack, one of the best combat systems, the game is very cinematic which is a strong side of it! Bad: Graphics (no any improvement since the last game low resolution textures just break the whole immersion, I guessI give this game 9/10 Good: Awesome story, memorable characters, great ending (completes the story, no cliffhangers, !watch the credits there's a scene after it!), awesome soundtrack, one of the best combat systems, the game is very cinematic which is a strong side of it! Bad: Graphics (no any improvement since the last game low resolution textures just break the whole immersion, I guess that's because when they try to please console gamers, whose pulling the whole industry down with their almost 10 years old machines), the story seems short if you ignore all that stupid Citadel side quests (not considering N7 missions which were pretty cool), day one DLC (what the f**k), the whole game lacks of innovations (nothing new in the gameplay just some minor tweaks, if it wasn't the last in the series I'd give it much lower score), some minor bugs.

PS: Overall it's a great compelling story that ends the great trilogy!
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    the beginning of of the game doesn't set the tone of the game as well as the other two however this changes very quickly after the episode of earth. it's a fantastic game and I think the end is actually really good to end the series. it kinda reminds me of the epic greek tragedies which has similar style and in my opinion the game goes out with this sense of greek tragedy (the genre lookthe beginning of of the game doesn't set the tone of the game as well as the other two however this changes very quickly after the episode of earth. it's a fantastic game and I think the end is actually really good to end the series. it kinda reminds me of the epic greek tragedies which has similar style and in my opinion the game goes out with this sense of greek tragedy (the genre look it up). the only bad thing I really have to say against the ending is that you never get any good explanation of what happens to the rest of the crew, however I think this is a minor annoyance in comparision to the whole game and I felt that the tird installment was more about shepard rescuing the galaxy than shepard rescuing the galaxy with h*s crew!

it's an epic game and few games has ever given such strong emotions of happines, sorrow and most of all longing as the whole mass effect series has done!
  30. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I raged against Bioware for ruining Dragon Age series with Dragon Age 2,and feared they might do the same with Mass Effect I was positively surprised with Mass Effect 3,while not perfect it is pretty good combining elements of Mass Effect 1 and 2 in one game,personally I dont mind the endings,though I would like more explanation and closure,something that they should fix with a DLC.I do understand that most players expected a fairy tale ending "and they all lived happily ever after" but I was positively surprised by the generally grim endings.Fairy tale endings are rather unrealistic,especially in consideration that galaxy is fighting against vastly superior enemy.Still the endings need more closure and explanations,current endings leave a lot of things open to interpretation though it is possible they wanted to make them like that.

Pros

-Smoother and more dynamic combat though I dont like the too fast power cooldown time (enables constant spamming of powers meaning that on lower difficulties you can win most battles relying on powers alone)
    -Decisions from Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a significant impact on the experience of Mass Effect 3
    -Lots of cutscenes that add to immersiveness and cinematic feeling
    -Feels more realistic and darker than 1 and 2
    -Interesting missions and twists (for example EDI becoming available as a squadmate)
    -Beautiful visuals and great performance
    -Haunting music

Cons

-Endings need more closure and explanation
    -EMS has little effect except for getting a third ending which is synthesis (they should make it similar to Mass Effect 2,low EMS means dead squadmates and other allies)
    -Not enough squadmates (Mass Effect 2 spoiled me with the number of squadmates)

Hopefully they will bring in some great DLCs that will fix loose ends,add more to the story and give closure to endings.Still it is pretty good game and I was positively surprised.Low scores on Mass Effect 3 present here reflect the hate for the endings,prior to endings I am sure most of the haters really liked the game.
  31. Mar 15, 2012
    First of all, this is a fantastic game, and is primarily being assaulted by the gaming community equivalent of indie hipsters. "I liked them before you knew about them" and "they're too mainstream" is basically all they are saying. What's more, not all ME fans feel that way - not by a long shot. I've been an obsessed ME fan since ME1 came out on PC. I've preordered both sequels and playedFirst of all, this is a fantastic game, and is primarily being assaulted by the gaming community equivalent of indie hipsters. "I liked them before you knew about them" and "they're too mainstream" is basically all they are saying. What's more, not all ME fans feel that way - not by a long shot. I've been an obsessed ME fan since ME1 came out on PC. I've preordered both sequels and played them non-stop the minute they were mine. I pore over each game. I love Mass Effect - all three games - more than any other franchise. ME3 isn't perfect, but anyone giving it anything less than a 5 or 6 is just being unreasonable.

If you rate ME3 a 1/10, what the hell do you rate "Barbie's Beach Adventure"? What score does "Deer Hunting Safari" get?

There are 10 numbers to choose from for a reason. Okay, you didn't like the story details. You didn't like the combat. How do they compare to Deer Hunting Safari though? How about the graphics? Do they look like Deer Hunter? Look at the environments. How about the music? The sound? The cutscenes? The replay value?

Even if I hated ME3 (and I love it), I could never justify anything below a 5. The game has too much content, too much polish, and attempts something never before done with a trilogy. I can't look at the cinematic flair of the environments and give that a 1. They're beautiful. I can't listen to the stunning soundtrack and give that a 1. It's breathtaking. Even if you hate the story, even if you hate the combat, there is content in this game that is not a 1. Therefore, giving it a 1 is impossible unless you are not actually reviewing the game.

If you are not capable of actual analytical reasoning - of looking objectively at the game's strengths and weaknesses, why you liked it and why you didn't like it - then you shouldn't be reviewing it. In MY opinion, the only real weakness the game suffers is that the parts where they chose DLC-character-style dialogue can at times make things awkward. Sidequest acquisition, for example, often occurs when I'm no longer any where near the person asking for help - all I did was run by on my way somewhere else - and now I have a quest I know nothing about. It's possible to miss conversations entirely this way. Overall, it's not a huge problem but it can be annoying every now and then.

I had some concerns coming into ME3, but really, none of them were realised. I was concerned about whether my past decisions would really play into the story - they do. Forget what you heard. Your choices make a difference. Not just in who is alive to be a part of ME3, but who survives ME3 as well. Another thing that your past choices influence a lot is CONTENT. People playing the game the first time through, who aren't familiar with Bioware's tradition of storytelling rich in details, might have no idea of how many moments, dialogues, and details they have missed either by having lost a party member somewhere or by having made a different choice long ago. In this day and age of YouTube, people are content to just watch every alternate possibility online - not taking the hours and hours to get it for themselves - and say that the game is too linear or that their choices didn't make a difference in the content of the story, not realising that one of the greatest strengths of Mass Effect is the multi-faceted nature of the story that provides a thousand versions of the same story with a thousand different scripts and content. I won't spoil the endings, but I really don't see the problem with them. I saw them coming. The overall theme of the game is sacrifice. The mission on Tuchanka gives a clear example (and I use very vague wording here to keep it spoilerless): there is a good sacrifice with a happy result, a sacrifice with additional death that could have been prevented, another TYPE of sacrifice that involves betrayal and an unforeseen cost, or a betrayal which costs nearly everything but manages to get the job done somehow.

ME3 is all about sacrifice and which sacrifices you are willing to make, and which sacrifices those choices will make necessary down the line. Even if you don't like that - even if you hated the way that worked - it took a lot more work, a lot more vision, and a lot more planning and execution than Deer Hunter. Giving it a low score even on those grounds alone is childish.

The game is a massive undertaking and is the farthest thing from simple, whether or not the people spoiled by YouTube videos and online walkthroughs can see that. Love it or hate it, it deserves a very high score. Professional reviewers can see that. If you can't, don't review the damn game. Learn to count instead.
  32. Mar 15, 2012
    ME3 is a fantastic game. It's true, the ending leaves something to be desired, but the journey throughout the rest of the game is just so amazing and emotionally gripping. Do yourself a favor and at least give it a shot to form your own opinion, don't just blindly adhere to the enraged horde's opinions.
  33. Mar 16, 2012
    This game is a great example of people expecting more than is possible. The game continues with the same story, same theme and same style as the previous ones. Expands on the character customization available in the previous two, makes "scanning" much less ridiculous and introduces a lot more choices which shift how you travel to the end.

The ending certainly was not the greatest, it

The ending certainly was not the greatest, it seems like it was a scene that should have been played over several hours rather than 10 minutes but that doesn't detract from the fact the rest of the game was well done. Many people are upset because they feel your choices don't matter, which I don't agree with, the way your journey progresses through the game as well as dialogue is heavily influenced by your previous choices. I think again people were expecting too much and that the ending would have a variation for every combination of choices out there ... which would be absurd.
  34. Mar 16, 2012
    Great game, The story is the main focus and it's amazing. The endings could have been a bit better but it's still really good. Amazing and enjoyable combat, Great 3rd person shooting, Awesome weapons, and well done cover system. The graphics look fantastic but it has some glitches. The sound effects and the voice actings are amazing. It's one of the main reasons that makes you care forGreat game, The story is the main focus and it's amazing. The endings could have been a bit better but it's still really good. Amazing and enjoyable combat, Great 3rd person shooting, Awesome weapons, and well done cover system. The graphics look fantastic but it has some glitches. The sound effects and the voice actings are amazing. It's one of the main reasons that makes you care for each character. Great game. Recommended for everyone. But it's better if you play the first 2 before this one. Expand
  35. Mar 17, 2012
    People, are you serious? You can't give a REALLY bad score just because endings are bad and textures are loading not so well. I agree, this game is a little letdown, and Mass Effect 2 is still the best Mass Effect game. However, I don't agree about endings. They're not bad. They're just not like any other ending from different games. And I like it a lot. Sure, endings are a bitPeople, are you serious? You can't give a REALLY bad score just because endings are bad and textures are loading not so well. I agree, this game is a little letdown, and Mass Effect 2 is still the best Mass Effect game. However, I don't agree about endings. They're not bad. They're just not like any other ending from different games. And I like it a lot. Sure, endings are a bit disappointing, but they are not bad. What about graphics... I don't care, actually. But everything else is great: story, gameplay, combat etc. That's why I give this game 9 out of 10. Expand
  36. Mar 19, 2012
    I wrote an earlier review giving the game a 7 because of the disappointing ending. I've decided to amend that score. The game itself is stellar, with a terrific story, environment, voice acting and musical score. Game play is damned fun and the game really draws you into the story. The ability to see your choices across all three of the games affect what alliances you are able to build inI wrote an earlier review giving the game a 7 because of the disappointing ending. I've decided to amend that score. The game itself is stellar, with a terrific story, environment, voice acting and musical score. Game play is damned fun and the game really draws you into the story. The ability to see your choices across all three of the games affect what alliances you are able to build in the final chapter is an accomplishment by Bioware and very satisfying to the player. Single player is a blast, and multiplayer is surprisingly quite fun and well implemented. Everything about the game is amazing, so I can't continue to knock it down just because the creative vision of the writers for the ending doesn't match my idea of a good ending. I'd still prefer a much better ending, but the game is terrific through 95% of it and deserves a good score for the 95% they did right. So I'm amending my score to a 9.5. Expand
  37. Mar 19, 2012
    This game wrapped up many of the plot lines from ME1 and ME2 very well. The only reason I'm not giving this game a 10 is because of the graphical bugs scattered throughout the game (none of them game-breaking). I'd like players to realize that the ending to the mass effect series is not the last 10 minutes of ME3, but instead the ENTIRETY of ME3. I would highly recommend this for true fansThis game wrapped up many of the plot lines from ME1 and ME2 very well. The only reason I'm not giving this game a 10 is because of the graphical bugs scattered throughout the game (none of them game-breaking). I'd like players to realize that the ending to the mass effect series is not the last 10 minutes of ME3, but instead the ENTIRETY of ME3. I would highly recommend this for true fans of the series. Expand
  38. Mar 19, 2012
    I'm a bit surprised by how many people seem to hate this game. In terms of gameplay, there are only minor differences between Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect 2. The characters are still interesting, the combat is fun, and the overall story is solid (despite several annoying plot holes). There were several moments during the game where I had to step back a bit, and just look around andI'm a bit surprised by how many people seem to hate this game. In terms of gameplay, there are only minor differences between Mass Effect 3 and Mass Effect 2. The characters are still interesting, the combat is fun, and the overall story is solid (despite several annoying plot holes). There were several moments during the game where I had to step back a bit, and just look around and absorb how awesome something was. Sure, there are a number of things that I found annoying. For example, I loathe the new James Vega character. The new multiplayer mode is very repetitive, and generally stupid. There is also the incredibly awful ending, and the annoying fact that one of the best squad members is only available through day one DLC. This checklist of negatives, however, does not make Mass Effect 3 a bad game. I still found it to be well worth playing, and a quality addition to the Mass Effect series. Expand
  39. Jun 29, 2012
    I am re-reviewing this game due to the Extended Cut release. I had originally given this a 4 due to the horrible ending with the Extended Cut I feel Bioware did well in trying to wrap up a difficult story. Bioware can't make everyone happy but I am satisfied with the Extended Cut and look forward to replaying this game over and over now.
  40. Mar 19, 2012
    There is no way my post here will contend with 1,454 negative reviews of the game ... but I thought this was a wonderful experience. I'm just giving my 9/10 to say that I disagree with the legions of whiners out there. Seriously, you're overreacting.
  41. Mar 20, 2012
    And finally came the continuation of one (and for me, best) role-playing game series. Well, I did not know what to expect, the final battle can transform the game from a rp to normal shooter which can upset fans. The game was not quite as easier and shows things as good as in the previous section to this was added to the enormity of interesting things and refreshed a few. But this is notAnd finally came the continuation of one (and for me, best) role-playing game series. Well, I did not know what to expect, the final battle can transform the game from a rp to normal shooter which can upset fans. The game was not quite as easier and shows things as good as in the previous section to this was added to the enormity of interesting things and refreshed a few. But this is not the same as the previous parts and does not include the quality of a shock or anything like that. My increased rating - 9/10 Expand
  42. Mar 20, 2012
    What a obvious part of trolls here. Bunch of greedy kids that are disappointed. This game is really good and I will explain about my personal opinion of how this game is with positives and negatives.

+ Nice graphic, including facial expressions and that sort of things. And nice design och the characters as well. + Very good voice actors, nice to have the old ones coming back from mass

+ Very good voice actors, nice to have the old ones coming back from mass effect 1 and 2.
    + Polished at some parts that definitely needed it from the older games (like mass effects combat system). + Fantastic sounds on the guns. Even the music is very good especially at the citadel.
    The Citadel is bigger and gives you a welcoming feeling every time you enter there.

- Sometimes I'm speechless, I don't have the ability to pick my own reaction, but that's not always though.
    - It didn't felt like it was so many touching side quests, It was like - alright another one, combat, combat...
    - And the worst **** ever is the map. Can't find for a **** and if you scan for objects It's like "You found oil" is that suppose to make me happy or what? No don't use that crap bores the hell out of me.

If you never played any Mass Effect game you should ABSOLUTELY not start with this one. You need the whole background, to build up this personal feeling. At least play trough Mass Effect 2.
    I would also like to point out that you don't need to worry about the ending, it was alright nothing special. I mean how would people it to end anyways?
  43. Mar 20, 2012
    I feel compelled to give Mass Effect 3 a quick review trying to avoid repeating what everyone else has already said. i felt I had to say something mainly to counteract the shameless review-bombing the game seems to be getting everywhere, which I feel is undeserved. First, let's consider the game.
    NOT the ending, but the game.
    It's technically sound, the graphics are nice, performance is
    NOT the ending, but the game.
    It's technically sound, the graphics are nice, performance is excellent on high settings, the cover-based shooting (while not as good as some pure 3rd person shooters) is better than it's ever been. The missions themselves are a lot of fun and dead interesting, the only exception being the missions on unexplored planets but these are short enough that they don't get annoying. I have to point out, that I have NO IDEA what people are on about with auto-dialogue, honestly not a clue, my conversation wheel was there in all it's 6-sided glory. I also liked how the game remembered all my little decisions dating back to the original ME, it was a really great touch that i would love to see more in games. In almost every way this game is a perfect 10.
    However, the ending. Yes, it was full of plot holes, but at the end of the day, it was their game, their ending. I learned my lesson from Knights of the Old Republic II: ending are never what you want. I hated the binary ending choices, but not so much that i'm not already replaying the series for another play-through. I didn't enjoy the lack of a proper epilogue, but I knew there would be no happy ending.
    but here's the funny thing. I didn't like the ending, but it didn't make me angry. I just felt sad. Sad that such an amazing series that I've loved for years was coming to an end. This really is a compelling, beautiful game that, if you've invested in the whole series, will blow you away. Don't listen to the trolls, I beg you, this is a certainty for at least half a dozen GotY awards, no question.

Also, one word on the game pegging DLC. THIS IS EA. what did you expect?
  44. Mar 21, 2012
    i will simply say that it is an awesome game,Bioware listend to the feedback from mass effect 2 and highly improved the general gameplay,and added many customisation options that was lacking in mass effect 2 there is just 1 negative thing i can say about mass effect 3 and that is the bad ending,other then that it was great,multiplayer great,series great, totally worth the money i put downi will simply say that it is an awesome game,Bioware listend to the feedback from mass effect 2 and highly improved the general gameplay,and added many customisation options that was lacking in mass effect 2 there is just 1 negative thing i can say about mass effect 3 and that is the bad ending,other then that it was great,multiplayer great,series great, totally worth the money i put down on the digital deluxe edition :) Expand
  45. Mar 21, 2012
    A great game with an amazing story. The feeling you get when you interact with these huge decisions is unlike anything I've experienced in a game. The reason this game isn't earning a 10 is the ending but that subject has been discussed by many other reviewers.
    The ending is just a dent in a sphere with a very solid core underneath.
  46. Mar 21, 2012
    It's embarrassing that so many people just looking for something to hate in a game this good are willing to go on websites and give 0 scores just because the games ending isn't the one they specifically would have wanted. The truth is, while the game is somewhat streamlined even when compared to the last one, the combat is just right, the graphics are actually quite jaw-dropping, the storyIt's embarrassing that so many people just looking for something to hate in a game this good are willing to go on websites and give 0 scores just because the games ending isn't the one they specifically would have wanted. The truth is, while the game is somewhat streamlined even when compared to the last one, the combat is just right, the graphics are actually quite jaw-dropping, the story throughout the entire game is thrilling, extremely emotional and more epic than ever before, the voice acting is as great as the previous games, the co-op is surprisingly good and ties in well with the story, the whole game itself is 30 hours long and very replayable and the ending, which is where most of the hate seems to be directed , in my opinion does a great job of closing this incredible sci-fi trilogy. Expand
  47. Mar 21, 2012
    I was seriously enjoying this game for 95% of the time I played it. In fact, if I could have, I would have given it an 11 out of 10. But then I reached the end. Don't worry, no spoilers, but let's just say the ending seriously leaves something to be desired. The gameplay aspect is just as good as that of Mass Effect 2, and the story itself (except the end) is nearly flawless. Mass Effect 2I was seriously enjoying this game for 95% of the time I played it. In fact, if I could have, I would have given it an 11 out of 10. But then I reached the end. Don't worry, no spoilers, but let's just say the ending seriously leaves something to be desired. The gameplay aspect is just as good as that of Mass Effect 2, and the story itself (except the end) is nearly flawless. Mass Effect 2 is absolutely my favorite game ever played, and Mass Effect 3 (Singleplayer) is a great game with a flawed ending. What bumps this game from the 8/10 I would have given it to the 9/10 I am giving it is the multiplayer. While it isn't the main focus of the game (not for me anyway), I foresee it entertaining me for a while while I rank up all the various classes. In summation, it would be a 10 from me, but the ending was flawed at best, so it's a 9. Expand
  48. Mar 22, 2012
    The beginning starts with that which you have been fighting to keep away from your world, the Reapers have come to Earth. Shepard has been grounded and stripped of his status because of what he did during the event of Arrival (ME2 DLC) The combat system has been improved slightly, making it easier to go from cover to cover, as well as easier running, unlike ME2, where running was nearThe beginning starts with that which you have been fighting to keep away from your world, the Reapers have come to Earth. Shepard has been grounded and stripped of his status because of what he did during the event of Arrival (ME2 DLC) The combat system has been improved slightly, making it easier to go from cover to cover, as well as easier running, unlike ME2, where running was near impossible if you're avoiding something or trying to run around corners. ME 3 allows faster, unlimited running, and you can run around corners easily, which helps if you're trying to run to much better cover. The weapons are customizable this time, as well as there being more weapons, not as many as ME1, but you receive plenty to choose from, especially if you're a PC user. The modifications are back as well, but these are limited compared to its ME1 predecessors. Story is just as good as it was before. There's certain points where, if you've played the games in succession, you will cry. On a bad note, there's some things that are not good. While throughout the game you gather Alliance strength for the final battle, it seems like gathering a lot doesn't matter. As you're fighting, you don't see the Rachni Queen's people on the ground (if you saved her). You don't see Turians, Asari, Batarians, Krogan(if you saved Wrex in the first game, and helped Wrex and the Turians become allies this game). Which is a huge let-down. I wanted to see everyone on the line with me. I wanted to go through the battles, and see these people, and creatures, fighting with me while we assaulted the ground units of the Reapers. Another bad thing is the day one DLC. Paying 10 dollars for the content locked on disc. It's a horrible business practice which companies need to STOP. The character is worth it, though, because unlike Kasumi and Zaeed, the DLC character has a story. He's interactive inside and outside the ship. You talk to him, you have choices. Your shipmates talk to him, NPCs on the Citadel talk to him at one point. If those two are worth 5 bucks, and you don't even interact with them aside from they spout something, without a conversation wheel popping up to interact with them. The DLC character for 3, has all that, and he's a great fighter. All in all, this game was great. It was almost perfect, however I do understand why people are giving this game a terrible rating. The ending(s) are why. However, almost every question is answered thanks to what is fan-researched: The Indoctrination Theory. When you finish this game, if you have questions still, go to YouTube, look up the 22 minute video Mass Effect 3 - Shepard's Indoctrination by ACAVYOS. This will explain SO MUCH. It ties into the endings easily, and it helps explain them as well. Again, this is a great game, and well worth every cent. Expand
  49. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While some elements of the game were less than great, I think the game as a whole was one of the best that I've played in a while. My biggest complaint is probably the changes to the dialogue system. There are almost no neutral options for conversations and each dialogue option you choose accounts for a longer part of the conversation, whereas it was usually only one or two lines in the previous two games. To compensate for it, they seem to have put in a lot more paragon and renegade interrupts, which are nice in that they give you a bit more control over what your Shepard says and does.

Another drawback, for me, was the system for gauging your military strength. Unlike in Mass Effect 2, where each loyalty or upgrade you got was used for a specific purpose, this game just gives you a gross total that doesn't factor in either the source or the type of the resource. You also don't really see how it affects the ending of the game, beyond you, as the player, knowing that you got a certain total which allowed you to have certain possibilities.

Without going into detail, I'll just say that the ending, to me, was pretty disappointing. As someone who's played both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 several times, I was unhappy with the way they chose to conclude the final chapter of the trilogy. That being said, I still think the positive elements of this game far outweigh the negative.

One of the first things I noticed about this game was the improved look. They took a lot of what was great about Mass Effect 2 (the vibrant scenery, the dynamic cut-scenes) and added more of the texture detail from the first game and a nice grittiness that seemed fitting for the tone of this game. While a few of the scenes (especially on the Normandy) were poorly lit, that was more the exception than the rule.

Probably the biggest improvement, in my mind, was the change to the weapons system. Much like in Mass Effect 2, there is no working inventory, so when you find a certain gun, it's then available for the whole squad. However, unlike Mass Effect 2, the different weapons aren't direct upgrades of each other. Instead, each one has a specific feel and is suited to a different style of play. Once you figure out which one will work best for you, you can upgrade and customize it to further fit your needs. Beyond that, the combat system is pretty similar to Mass Effect 2, with a few small improvements, so if you liked it in Mass Effect 2, you'll like it here. The multiplayer campaign is also a nice addition to the experience as a whole, even if it's more of a side dish than a meal on its own.

Also, I would probably consider this game the strongest of the series as far as use of time. Whereas the first game had a lot of random side quests to make the game longer and the second game sometimes lost the urgency of the main quest between all the loyalty and recruitment missions, Mass Effect 3 is much more clearly focused on gathering resources to use against the Reapers. While the game as a whole was at least a few hours shorter than the other two, a lot more of that time was spent on the main mission. Overall, while there were a few things that I was less than happy about, this game is still definitely worth playing.
  50. Mar 23, 2012
    I played all the previous Mass Effect games as well and enjoyed them all. True the ending is not great ( the more i think about it - it actually kind of sucks) But it is nevertheless one of the best games i´ve ever played. Such a great story, such great characters, such fun gameplay - awesome. **** the last 10 minutes, you´ll have easily 30h of high quality fun.
  51. Mar 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The time is 3:41 and I've just completed Mass Effect 3.

So. What do I think about the game?. Strange enough and with all the down talk and spoilers I've heard and the massive red negative score it has been given. I would say it deserve 9. It entertained me for 4 days (Without too many off quests) and the ending (I chose the good side) was.... well, sadden, but somehow I found both my choice and the way to end it to my liking. Even if the choice were quite hard.

Now down to the Positive and the negative

Positive Story: Acceptable. I would highly recommend playing both ME1 and ME 2 and use the same character all the way, it gives it a little more touch and characters just means a lot more to the way you want to end thing. Instead of just throwing the nearest character into the pit of fire while just raising your shoulders while saying â
  52. Mar 23, 2012
    Frankly, I don't see why everybody is giving this game 0 ratings because of the ending. Yes, I agree, it was odd, and I didn't really like it, but the ending shouldn't determine the game or the series. Every aspect of this game is remarkably well done - the characters are believable, the voice acting is good, the sound effects are good, the graphics are good, the combat flows very well.Frankly, I don't see why everybody is giving this game 0 ratings because of the ending. Yes, I agree, it was odd, and I didn't really like it, but the ending shouldn't determine the game or the series. Every aspect of this game is remarkably well done - the characters are believable, the voice acting is good, the sound effects are good, the graphics are good, the combat flows very well. The only downside with this game is the exploration. It was overdone in Mass Effect 1, but in Mass Effect 2, visiting three major cities made the game feel more expansive. While Mass Effect 3 is substantial, only being able to visit one major city made the non-combat aspect of the game feel somewhat small. This, of course, is only a personal preference. All in all, aside from the odd ending (which Bioware claims to be fixing), Mass Effect 3 is a very solid game. Expand
  53. Mar 24, 2012
    Despite the final ten to fifteen minutes being something of a mess, this is an excellent, engaging game that manages to live up to the high standards set by the previous two entries in the Mass Effect series. Steven Spielberg famously stated that he would consider games as art "when somebody confesses that they cried at Level 17," which is something that Mass Effect 3 certainly achieves. IDespite the final ten to fifteen minutes being something of a mess, this is an excellent, engaging game that manages to live up to the high standards set by the previous two entries in the Mass Effect series. Steven Spielberg famously stated that he would consider games as art "when somebody confesses that they cried at Level 17," which is something that Mass Effect 3 certainly achieves. I know that I cannot be the only player to shed a tear on Tuchanka, or at a particular scene in a Citadel hospital. For that matter, I cannot be the only one to have laughed like a madman during many of the private talks with squadmates on board the Normandy. The reason for such emotional engagement shows how this game lives up to its predecessors - the interesting and well-explored characters at Shepard's side have always been a strength in the Mass Effect series, and number 3 does not disappoint on that front. On top of that, the settings are pretty, gameplay is varied and interesting (who needs cover based shooting when you can rain down biotic destruction on your enemies' heads?) and many of the set pieces are nothing short of breathtaking.

In summary then, this game leads you on an adventure across the galaxy, gives you a range of interesting characters and really shows that your decisions matter in shaping the future of life, the universe and everything for 39 hours and 45 minutes, before going what is technically referred to as "balls-out crazy" in the final quarter of an hour. However, the good far outweighs the bad, and I would thoroughly recommend Mass Effect 3 to anyone.
  54. Mar 25, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 - great game, but not this brilliant, as Mass Effect 2. Gameplay great, hard battle and tactical with good level. But dialogue low and bad story, which doesn't line with Mass Effect 2 kill nice story. End Mass Effect 3 and first six hours me don't nice. Mass Effect 1-3 great series in our day, but 3 part kill this name "great series". I want new end, because I have epicMass Effect 3 - great game, but not this brilliant, as Mass Effect 2. Gameplay great, hard battle and tactical with good level. But dialogue low and bad story, which doesn't line with Mass Effect 2 kill nice story. End Mass Effect 3 and first six hours me don't nice. Mass Effect 1-3 great series in our day, but 3 part kill this name "great series". I want new end, because I have epic final of Mass Effect. If Bioware submit "DLC End" money, I don't love Bioware. Expand
  55. Mar 28, 2012
    Awesome game. Choices made in the previous games still have some impact later on. Even in some small conversation details. Though the ending should be better I still had a blast playing this game.
  56. Mar 28, 2012
    Enough already! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean you get to act like a child and call yourself valid. Ok, you don't like the ending - it wasn't what you expected or wanted. That's fine, and I can somewhat understand. But you know what that means? You played this somewhat lengthy adventure game to its completion, hell you probably completed the entire trilogy.Enough already! Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't mean you get to act like a child and call yourself valid. Ok, you don't like the ending - it wasn't what you expected or wanted. That's fine, and I can somewhat understand. But you know what that means? You played this somewhat lengthy adventure game to its completion, hell you probably completed the entire trilogy. SUCKY GAMES DON'T GET COMPLETED. You play them for ten minutes and then you're out. So I'm calling on you crybabies to man up and admit that the game is GREAT ENTERTAINMENT which is why you got to the ending. It's awesome in fact. So you can't turn around and give it a sucky score simply because you have a problem only with the creative decisions of its ending. What you're doing is literally like ordering a meal at a restaurant, finishing it through dessert, and then saying - "I wanted ice cream not cake, I'm not paying for any of this! This meal sucks!" Ridiculous! The journey was the value. And I loved it, and I know many that do. Don't be a whiney hater, admit that Mass Effect was awesome soup to nuts. MP alone is worth the price of admission. I for one thank Bioware and EA for it. One of the best gaming franchises ever. Expand
  57. Mar 29, 2012
    I have characters that I have imported from ME1 and 2 and have truly enjoyed ever minute of the game, having spent almost 50 hours so far in the single player mode alone. It's not perfect, it doesn't deserve a 10, no game ever does but to see emails and have things mentioned in the game that span back to the 1st and second games, even extremely minor things is fun to see, as is theI have characters that I have imported from ME1 and 2 and have truly enjoyed ever minute of the game, having spent almost 50 hours so far in the single player mode alone. It's not perfect, it doesn't deserve a 10, no game ever does but to see emails and have things mentioned in the game that span back to the 1st and second games, even extremely minor things is fun to see, as is the abundance of text background, found everywhere from the Journal to datapads during missions, to Broker and Spectre emails that flesh out the background. The game also references at least one of the Mass Effect books (Retribution) and introduces a character from it

How your character behaves towards others and during missions alters what you can eventually use against the Reapers is great, the fact that there is now no Mako or Mineral scanning is more of a plus really, it was only ever a time filler to make the game last longer anyway. There are brief planet scanning jobs to look for War Assets but these take little more than around 10 seconds to complete, work the same way that searching for an anomaly on a planet did in ME2, and are not compulsory

The graphics are as excellent as ever (although I've seen a few minor clipping issues and once Garrus "vanished" during a conversation, lol) as is the sound and voice acting

I was very skeptical about the Multi Player side of ME3, the previous 2 being completely Single Player, but have to admit I have enjoyed it greatly! Currently it's up to 4 player co-op against Cerberus, Geth or Reapers. Your characters level up, allowing you to put points into Biotic / Tech / etc skills, you earn in-game money which can be spent on Packs that provide everything from medi-gel and spare ammo to disposable missile launchers, new main weapons, attachments, etc

In a market where high street stores sting the developer by reselling their games at pure profit, I can't blame them for releasing DLC and having Online Passes. I always buy brand new copies anyway and don't mind paying for DLC so that doesn't affect the scoring at all to me

I don't place much faith in Metacritic User reviews, and the pure volume of release date scores of 0/10 speak volumes to me. If I spent 35+ hours on the game the first time round, then Day 1 reviewers have missed at least 65% of content, and that's without DLC
  58. Mar 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My only real beef with the ending is that it doesn't matter what you do, your crew still ends up on a planet and when it is all over you get back on the Normandy like nothing happened and the galaxy is full of Reapers again. Drives me up the wall, there were two very distinct sets of animations made detailing different consequences depending on the choice you made, but I don't think the choice was inherently bad. Look, you want to be the king you have to face those, NOT 'cake or death' choices. You know the ones where it sucks no matter what you do, and you knew it was coming, but you slug on because that's "who you are" type choices. Yeah, that;s what you have to make, and yeah I like that you die, I think it is good. What did you want it to go on forever. Oh and anyone who can seriously look at me with a straight face and say: "Well there was no way that we possibly could have forseen a super AI or ghost in the machine coming, I mean how could that have been an option even?" To you I say, "You sir are an idiot, if you didn't notice the whole sapient AI theme going on in Mass Effect" The combat system is ok. Could you do better? Probably not, I know I have been trying and it takes a lot of work so... probably not. Still, the whole alive after I died thing and no explanation, drives me nuts guys, just a little explanation and I would have suspended my disbelief entirely. "Hey I'm a Shepard Synthetic construct created by the Shepard controlling the machines!" "Hey a freakin' rift opened when the citadel was destroyed and I fell through on my but smack dab in the Normandy and here is an animation to prove it, I swear!" Anything, really, I would have been happy, So you are not getting full credit. But mostly full. Expand
  59. Mar 31, 2012
    ME3 is a SPECTACULAR GAME with a HORRIBLY AWFUL ENDING. Everything up to the end is superb. The ME trilogy is the best rpg experience I've ever had. However, I do understand the massive disappointment displayed here. It just goes to show just how deeply people care about this franchise, and especially the characters in the game. I can't bring myself to give it less than a 9. It would haveME3 is a SPECTACULAR GAME with a HORRIBLY AWFUL ENDING. Everything up to the end is superb. The ME trilogy is the best rpg experience I've ever had. However, I do understand the massive disappointment displayed here. It just goes to show just how deeply people care about this franchise, and especially the characters in the game. I can't bring myself to give it less than a 9. It would have been f**king 11 if the ending had rocked. Expand
  60. Apr 5, 2012
    The people writing about the horrible ending have a point, but it isn't as extreme as many people peg it to be. There are seven endings and the perfect ending requires a lot of work. Honestly, the ending wasn't all that bad (I've seen far worse) and it wasn't a plot breaker or an ending that made no sense. The developers created an ending that brought closure to the entire universe. InThe people writing about the horrible ending have a point, but it isn't as extreme as many people peg it to be. There are seven endings and the perfect ending requires a lot of work. Honestly, the ending wasn't all that bad (I've seen far worse) and it wasn't a plot breaker or an ending that made no sense. The developers created an ending that brought closure to the entire universe. In order to avoid the spoilers check, I won't go into what actually happened.

Still, in terms of an ending, it was very well done (It has a modular ending much like the Fallout series, where what you do affects the outcome). The plot was stellar and the character development (following the same style as Mass Effect and Mass Effect II had the Paragon/Renegade dichotomy) was incredible. The all inclusive relationship system between the people your character interacts with was very strong and the ability to cultivate a relationship with anybody of any gender of any race was a very interesting aspect.

The combat mechanics were solid. I found the third person shooting style very conducive to the game, and while I am a die hard FPS fan, it was necessary to allow you to control your team mate AI while being able to keep aware of your combat situational awareness. I found the battle mechanics addictive. I literally found myself skipping the intro scenes to less important missions just to get into the fight. Being able to try out all the different battle styles also made me play through the game multiple times.

I highly recommend this game for people who want a mix between good plot lines and good shooting mechanics. For those people who rate the game down because of the ending, you need to realize this game isn't YOUR story, it's the developers. That's how they chose to end the series, get over it. For the people who say your choices in the previous installments don't matter, have you played the game through without using your save data? Things happen VERY differently...including your ability to cultivate relationships with certain characters and your ability to influence the outcomes of intergalactic politics...
  61. Jun 27, 2012
    With the new Extended CUT DLC, while the endings could be better, it brings this game back up to its deserved 10/10 (it still gets 9 because... I had to wait 4 months to get this ending, but if it shipped like this, it would have been a 10). It provides closure, has some really touching scenes, and overall just allows the player to sit back think "my work here is finished". Before we knewWith the new Extended CUT DLC, while the endings could be better, it brings this game back up to its deserved 10/10 (it still gets 9 because... I had to wait 4 months to get this ending, but if it shipped like this, it would have been a 10). It provides closure, has some really touching scenes, and overall just allows the player to sit back think "my work here is finished". Before we knew nothing, and it felt like a slap in the face. All I have to say is Bioware, I knew you had it in you! Next time just do this from the get-go =( Expand
  62. Apr 9, 2012
    The game itself was quite amazing, your choices in the first 2 games did affect outcomes in the 3rd game. It did not affect the ending unfortunately. The ending outrage is overblown. Personally I did not like the ending but the game itself is amazing and the multiplayer is quite enjoyable. Giving it a 9 instead of a 10 just because of the ending
  63. Apr 9, 2012
    Though the ending may sour the taste of an otherwise amazing experience, BioWare must be applauded for creating a tale that has engrossed the minds of many through its compelling storytelling, varied gameplay, beautifully-realized universe, and incredible characters. Mass Effect 3 isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly not the terrible ending that so many people would makeThough the ending may sour the taste of an otherwise amazing experience, BioWare must be applauded for creating a tale that has engrossed the minds of many through its compelling storytelling, varied gameplay, beautifully-realized universe, and incredible characters. Mass Effect 3 isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly not the terrible ending that so many people would make it out to be. That said, BioWare, that last 15 minutes was pretty awful. Expand
  64. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly in this game, everything good they add they add something terrible to even it out. The biggest improvement, by far, is the gameplay. They added tons of new weapons, rolling in cover, and to make Trench-Warfare a bit easier, quick-killing(grabbing). The singleplayer isn't as monotonous, in Mass Effect 2 it was recruiting and helping squad mates with the occasional mission against the collectors. However, the squadmates are a let down. Javik and James are the only new ones that haven't been seen before(forgive me if I'm wrong). Garrus, Tali,Liara, and Javik are the only alien squad mates, and there's no Drell or Salarian squad mates, much to my dismay. The graphics and animations are pretty much the same, if not slightly better. You can still upload from Mass Effect 2, so you aren't starting from scratch. For the ending, I am quite furious about it. Anderson is a fixed death (alongside other Mass Effect 2 squadmates like Legion and Thane) and apparently the indestructible Reapers are led by a ghostly kid who is also the Catalyst, a componet for the Crucible that you spend a lot of time looking for. Also, 2 randomly chosen squadmates will appear with Joker on survival island at the ending, not saying a word. However that's something that they're changing, so I will not be giving this game the 6 it deserves with it. As I mentioned before, many former squad mates are fixed deaths and die no matter what you do. However, all of the deaths, even the optional ones, are fitting. Thane dies saving a life rather than removing it. Legion dies either in defense of his species or to save them from annihilation. Mordin CAN(but doesn't have to) die curing the genophage, his biggest mistake. Samara CAN die fulfilling the code. Of course they add a heap of stupid and soulless characters, including a lesbian and a gay person. They also added Kai Leng, which I have concluded is a female after watching Thane hit him in his nonexistent balls 10 times. At least you get to slay him when it's over, I didn't hesitate for a nanosecond about the renegade interrupt. Also, they added Co-op Multiplayer which is the biggest new thing out of all the epic updates. You can FINALLY play as Salarians, Turians, Quarians, Asari, Drell, Geth, Krogan, Batarian, and even as a Asari Justicar. It's hard to implement slow motion attacks like Biotic Charge and such when others don't want random slow-mo, but they executed it very well. And a very prevalent topic is the day 1 DLC. I hated it too, but it's not a good reason for plop a 0 down as your score. The new War Assets idea was brilliant. Now you can do side quests and scanning parties for something more important than research material(removed, sadly). Anomalies and random missions were pretty much worthless in mass effect 2, except being very fun. Now they are fun and benefit you by giving a War Asset. Depending on the final decision in Mass Effect 2(destroying the Collector Base or not) you need a certain amount to keep Shepard alive and to keep Earth from utter destruction. A HUGE problem for me was the enemies. Besides having fairly stupid 1-shot kills (unavoidable once it starts), there's only THREE FACTIONS. It would be fun to have a boss on wave 11 in multiplayer, like a Geth Colossus or a Gunship, but no. In fact, in single player, the final boss is the infamous Marauder Shields, in which you have no choice but to use the limitless ammo M-3 Predator(Which I never used after I found my first Weapons Bench). At least they added gun modifications like extended barrels, and upgrading the guns to I and V and X. All in all, this game is excellent but if you're a poor starving person on the streets, prepare for the attack of the DLC. Expand
  65. Apr 15, 2012
    Summary: A spectacular game. Well worth the money and time. The combat is unique to the RPG genre and the reason this is the only RGP series (to date) I can stand playing long enough to get into the story. The story is just incredible. The main plot is thrilling by itself, but add the "chose your own adventure book on steroids", aspect and you have a narrative that was so emotionallySummary: A spectacular game. Well worth the money and time. The combat is unique to the RPG genre and the reason this is the only RGP series (to date) I can stand playing long enough to get into the story. The story is just incredible. The main plot is thrilling by itself, but add the "chose your own adventure book on steroids", aspect and you have a narrative that was so emotionally gripping it had me on the verge of tears at times. On that note, play from ME 1, it's worth it.

Single player:

Play/Combat - Excellent: I understand many people do not like the trend of ME away from the traditional RPG standards, but I love it because I venomously HATE several of those standards. Inventories are a cumbersome nuisance that just punish me for not taking time to manage the annoying buggers, and in ME 3 they are happily gone! Learning the intricacies of every single enemy so I know which of my 20 different skills to use is just frustrating (If I want to painstakingly memorize information I'll read a scientific paper on something useful), in ME 3 they simplify this to a reasonable level. On harder difficulties you still have to chose your ammo and prioritize your targets, but you have only a few options to worry about. Granted that can make the game-play a little repetitive. I'm okay with that; part of the reason I enjoyed ME 3 is that it is a first-person shoots, my genre of choice, and any good FPS has to sacrifice a little repetitiveness for well ironed out mechanics and enemies. ME 3 is definitely well ironed out. Which bring us to..... Classes, here I think the 3rd instalment shines. In ME 3 where you put your skill points obviously changes what abilities you have access to and how powerful they are, but quite significantly it entirely changes how effective your play style is. For example I love being a stealthy SOAB, so I play the Infiltrator class. In the last two games, like many others as soon as I chose the class at the start of the game I was stuck as a long range killer with no ability to hold my own in close combat. As it would happen that's how I like to play and so I followed the same path in ME 3, but even as i was doing that I realized that by putting my skills into the other abilities I could make myself a close combat killing machine, appearing in the middle of the enemy, wrecking havoc and beating people to death, only to disappear again. The ability to customize your character to your play-style then is terrific.

Story -Out of this World: I can't describe it. play the game twice from ME 1 and you'll get two completely different experiences in ME 3, in almost every mission, every interaction I could sense subtle variations based on my previous actions, that level of impact on the narrative is what sets the ME series a head above the rest. I made decisions that made me proud as thanks to me everyone survived, I made decisions that made me cry as my actions caused my team-mates suicide; NO other game has ever made me feel like my choices have an impact on the story, ever. Which bring us to the one reason this review is not a 10. The last 15 mins. Oh YES I hate the ending, but only because the rest of the game was so incredible. After all that impact you had, you're given ending A, B, or C, and all of your previous decision mean squat to how any of them turn out.(On that note I hope the future DLC will fix the ending situation. After all the hard work the writers must have put into weaving the coherent web of different experiences you can get, I have to believe they would have up and quit Bioware if additions/changes to the ending were not planned from even before release. Here's hoping the "Indoctrination Theory" is right)

And finally

Multi-player -Good: I haven't played that much of this, but what I have I like. It's not as addictive as Halo, or Call of Duty, but its a solidly fun experience. Grab some friends and blow some enemies away, nothing wrong there. The maps are varied enough to add some diversity and the horde-mode style waves are supper fun to mow down in co-op.
  66. Apr 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've just finished Mass Effect 3 and I've decided I'll share my opinin with you guys. I expected Bioware to make ME3 even better than ME2 was, and IMO they did, cause this game is close to perfection. What I liked: 1. Combat experience: faster fights, increased mobility, very versitale enemies (mixed reasonably to increase their effectiveness), tactical elements (smoke, cloaks, towers, generators etc.), increased difficulty level, good multiplayer concepts.
    2. Story: written with taste and balance, it doesn't seem to be unreal in any part: help me and I'll return the favor, we'll help after curing the genophage, we'll help after we'll have a place to put our non-combatants in, and others like these seems logical, natural and they all bind together pretty well around the main topic under the title: â
  67. Apr 18, 2012
    Even though there are many negative reviews, and i didn't like the game as much as ME1 and ME2, it remains a good game, with an intriguing story, a charismatic character and an enjoyable gameplay
  68. Jul 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the brilliant conclusion to the popular series. Do not listen to these bad reviews, the game was brilliant. I found the endings really good, they fitted the 'Mass Effect' spirit and made a stunning conclusion. I think a lot of people wanted a 'Shepard defeats the reapers and lives happily ever after" kind of ending. But then they would force Bioware for a Mass Effect 4Mass Effect 3 is the brilliant conclusion to the popular series. Do not listen to these bad reviews, the game was brilliant. I found the endings really good, they fitted the 'Mass Effect' spirit and made a stunning conclusion. I think a lot of people wanted a 'Shepard defeats the reapers and lives happily ever after" kind of ending. But then they would force Bioware for a Mass Effect 4 (something Bioware didn't want to do)

Brilliant game, brilliant ending. 9/10
  69. Apr 26, 2012
    The game was very interesting, and had a lot of unique ideas. It was a bit dumped down in comparison with the first one but overall it was an epic experience. There is always a misunderstanding between streamlined and simplistic! Pro: Intergalactic science fiction rpg with worlds to explore, characters to meet, intrigue, sex and frantic action. Yeaaay ... Con: Rushed ending, DLC from dayThe game was very interesting, and had a lot of unique ideas. It was a bit dumped down in comparison with the first one but overall it was an epic experience. There is always a misunderstanding between streamlined and simplistic! Pro: Intergalactic science fiction rpg with worlds to explore, characters to meet, intrigue, sex and frantic action. Yeaaay ... Con: Rushed ending, DLC from day one, ripping off people ... The ending was rushed for the release and it left a bitter after taste. In a way you built suspense for 3 episodes to end up with a bit of undersigned ending. Unfortunately we have seen things like that before ... still the overall experience was really nice. Somehow I feel that people wanted more. To be honest Mass Effect, one of the best games ever ,is behind in terms of dialogue and plot from a good film or book. As games in general still are. Regarding changing the ending to suit the needs and ideas of the players I believe is completely unacceptable, the designers of Mass Effect decided on three endings ( unpolished endings) that were interesting but unfinished. I completely agree if they want to polish it but not to change it. Sometimes you like the ending sometimes you don't like them. But artistic democracy or design by committee, is usually dull and sterilized. If I like something is to go the other way around... to complete let them actually design the ending properly as they originally imagined ... let the accountants screaming about the target audience and demographic and do the right thing ! I have the impression that EA as usual is behind rushed endings and despicable DLC ... I give the game 8 instead of 10 because of the DLC and the rushed ending. By the way in the age of intergalactic travel I am quite sure guns will not need ammo. I know that legions of players play all those U.S army games and they troll around about the combat system but things don't always have to be the same with these boring shooters. Nevertheless after Dragon Age 2 I stopped pre-ordering EA games ... it is a gamble. Expand
  70. Apr 27, 2012
    This game was excellent. Amazing art work, fun game play, excellent save points. Good story for the most part, sometimes really excellent depending on choices. Yah the ending was a tad confusing at best, but it's no excuse to rate the game that poorly otherwise. I could have done with less exposition; sometimes I felt like I was watching TV at times rather than playing the game, butThis game was excellent. Amazing art work, fun game play, excellent save points. Good story for the most part, sometimes really excellent depending on choices. Yah the ending was a tad confusing at best, but it's no excuse to rate the game that poorly otherwise. I could have done with less exposition; sometimes I felt like I was watching TV at times rather than playing the game, but otherwise everything you could have wanted in a ME game. And the multiplayer gimmick was annoying but unnecessary - I achieved full War Assets even with only a 50% War Readiness rating. Overall, I would say ME2 was my favorite, but this was a worthy successor. Expand
  71. SaH
    Apr 30, 2012
    The Mass Effect 3 is the ending of the WHOLE saga, don't listen to other ppl and if You like ME1 and ME2 - then You should play ME3.
    Game is much like ME2, with better graphic, some more interesting quests and companions. I was very enjoying the game, with some minor bugs, but the general feeling very, very good.
  72. May 2, 2012
    So there are enough bad reviews of this game already which all (pretty much all of them) boil down to the ending.

What most reviews don't mention is that before the ending everything is so good, maybe even epic. Would you really want to miss 95% of a game because of an ending you might not like it? Giving it a score of 10 would be going overboard, but I actually missed ME3 after I

Giving it a score of 10 would be going overboard, but I actually missed ME3 after I finished playing it. And despite being on "quit" an old engine, the graphics look good, the animations look good and the characters (bar for textures) look good.
  73. May 2, 2012
    Everything in this game is excellent (even multiplayer). But the ending. Yes, the ending. No, I'm not angry about Bioware. Frankly the ending is just too sad for a story with a western cultural background and be more fitting to a chinese movie. It could be even possible, that they liked it there but certainly me not.
  74. May 3, 2012
    End of a great trilogy.
    Truly leaves a sad feeling when you know there is not going to be ME4.
    Just loved this game.
    Multiplayer is amazingly addicting!

Gave it 9 because the ending wasnt what i hoped for. If it would have been i think i would have been dissapointed anyway because i dont want this game to have ending at all.
  75. May 4, 2012
    Spectacularly good game, with many heart-wrenching and laugh-out-loud moments and solid action. Too bad the ending didn't hold up. You missed the 10 by a hairs breadth, ME3.
  76. May 16, 2012
    One of the most emotionally engaging games of all time especially if you've played the sequels, a ton of fun to be had and an amazing sci-fi setting. The end left my feelings all tied up though
  77. May 16, 2012
    When they looked at all the possible endings of ME2 they said something like "Too many variables! Too many variables!" so they created a points system to reduce the number of endings to ONLY ONE which is why user score is mostly red.
    BUT you will not realize you are being tricked until the last 3 minutes of the game so apart from these last moments the game is absolutely awesome.
  78. May 16, 2012
    Improved customization mechanics. Builds on choices from previous two games through (most of) the epic story. Great replay value and adds enjoyable multi-player.
    Vast tracts of great cutscenes and dialog (although not for many trivial side quests) make for a dramatic and touching conclusion to the ME series.
    Last couple of minutes (scheduled to to be expanded with DLC) and a retarded
    Last couple of minutes (scheduled to to be expanded with DLC) and a retarded quest log mar otherwise superb game.
  79. Nov 15, 2012
    Re-reviewing the game based on the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC. These two single player additions as well as a couple weapon packs and free multiplayer add-ons have really won me over. I was a skeptic at first, having gone through the game for a third time, I am reminded as to why I love the series so much. I cannot wait for the Omega DLC.

The multiplayer aspect is really well

The multiplayer aspect is really well done and extremely addicting, the new achievement system is fantastic.
  80. May 18, 2012
    This is the score the game actually deserves. Now before you down-vote me, you will find if you average around the fifty + critic scores the game received it would be around the 89-93 area. Take off the moronic user score feature metacritic, it is used as a tool by a bunch of forum trolls and butthurt fanboys who really have no clue how to review a game. Of course this review will beThis is the score the game actually deserves. Now before you down-vote me, you will find if you average around the fifty + critic scores the game received it would be around the 89-93 area. Take off the moronic user score feature metacritic, it is used as a tool by a bunch of forum trolls and butthurt fanboys who really have no clue how to review a game. Of course this review will be down-voted by them, and I'll probably be called a "suck up" to the gaming media, but let's look at the facts first. High expectations almost always lead to disappointment, and those who have insanely high expectations will always be disappointed. This is why when you look at a game objectively, or rather as it is, instead of what you wanted it to be, you would find that it truly is a good game. Whether you disagreed with the ending or had problems because you "Felt" that the choices you made in the previous installments weren't reflected enough, it really doesn't matter. It's no reason to give this game a score below 7, and the fact that this game is rated a 3.9 is really quite pathetic. To even think that this game is only worth a "3.9" you would have to be some grumpy old man living in some old folks home or some kid who stays in his room all day, has no friends and doesn't know how to enjoy quality entertainment. The decisions you made in the previous games do reflect in this one, and yes they matter. Characters that die in ME2 wont be around, characters you saved in ME1 do make an appearance and yes your choices DID have reflect in ME3. Name a game that carries the choices you made from game to game on the same level mass effect has? You cant, there is only stand alone games with choices like the witcher 2, but what game from sequel to sequel to sequel does what the ME series has?. The fact people cry because they feel that their choices never meant anything is LAUGHABLE seeing as how they have nothing to compare it to. Give mass effect some credit, it has done a pretty damned good job. The ending to the series is fine, and honestly it really doesn't matter what bioware did people would have cried and crapped their pants. Everybody has a different idea of how it should have "ended" Bioware cant possibly meet everybody's expectations. The gameplay was much improved from the previous two, they added in some more RPG elements, still not as robust as ME1 but pretty close with the talent choices, weapon mods and tons of armor and loot to find. Mass effect 3 is a good game that sold well and that the majority of people enjoyed playing, don't listen to the vocal minority of idiots on here who probably pirated the game or never even played it at all and are just jumping on the hate bandwagon to hate the game like it's some "fad" to do so or makes them "cool and different" Stfu, sit down and enjoy the game. End of story. and....advice to metacritic......implement a system where people need to enter the serial code of the game they bought in order to actually review it. See how many of these idiots are still around after that......you wont find many. Expand
  81. May 19, 2012
    -------STORY 9.0------- This is one of the few games in which talking about the quality of the game's story instead of the trilogy doesn't make sense. If anyone plays this game without having played the previous 2 games... they're doing it wrong! The story plot is amazingly well written and really makes you care for your followers, it has what most games don't: It sucks you into the world-------STORY 9.0------- This is one of the few games in which talking about the quality of the game's story instead of the trilogy doesn't make sense. If anyone plays this game without having played the previous 2 games... they're doing it wrong! The story plot is amazingly well written and really makes you care for your followers, it has what most games don't: It sucks you into the world of Mass Effect turning it into a Star Wars of the Gaming Industry. Definitely not a game for children, not that it has too much violence or strong language, but because it's really emotional, the difficult choices you made until this game will hunt you down and will be reflected on the game's direction. What made the fans so mad was the fact that these choices don't affect the end of the game. Being a renegade or a paragon player the ending is always the same, not that the game developers don't have the right to control the ending but at least the decisions should be reflect in a more intense way. Instead of being a whole, the plot of ME3 is divided in individual smaller plots that don't connect with each other, being the final one only related to Shepard and the fate of the universe. -------SOUND: 10.0------- More than in the previous games, the soundtrack binds you to the game in such a strong way that makes this game one of the best games I've ever played. With time I've come to notice the importance of music and sound effects in movies but even more in games. It's subtle, but it's the final and most important connection between the game and the gamer. The soundtrack doesn't need to be good while listening to it separately, it wasn't made with that intention, it was made to emphasize the emotions or even create them for a more realist and/or dramatic way. A true piece or art. -------GAMEPLAY: 8.0------- I wouldn't say it's just another shooter, cause it isn't, since you have that interaction with your teammates, special abilities (aka biotic powers), etc... it's just that it could be better, I really don't know what to write. The cover system is better but still with some problems, the existence of the heavy melee attack and over-the-cover melee gives a cool and rapid-pace feeling to the game as well as brutal, but it alone doesn't change much, I think the best new addition to the gameplay was the roll / evade move, that really lets you go all-out in a stylish way against your enemies. In non-combat situations the game gets too rpg for my taste, not that I don't mind making little errands but, specially in this game where the fate of earth is in your hands, chilling out in a bar may not be the best idea. In conclusion, you can play the game for fun as well as for interest in the story plot. -------GRAPHICS: 7.5------- Good, solid, could be better in humans, much better... It's OK for me but it's not what makes the game pop out. Don't get me wrong, though. I think it's a little better than in the previous games as it should be. -------ART-WORK: 9.5------- This is a special note that I don't think I'll be using in future reviews, but I bought the Art work book of ME3, and it is amazing. It really shows the readers the Universe and it's every detail, it shows what the players don't see while running through the lands of Tuchanka (for example...) it's really revealing. It's those things that make the game big. I really can't understand it fully but it's really impressive. Thanks for that Bioware. -------CONCLUSION------- For anyone who hasn't played it yet... please, for your own good... buy the Mass Effect games. It's a generation, it's a MUST-HAVE Expand
  82. May 19, 2012
    The game is awesome until the ending, where... you know. The ending **** sucks. I also didn't like the fact that I couldn't explore homeworlds. And side missions are initiated by eavesdropping. Yeah, that sucked.
  83. May 19, 2012
    I don't care about Day 1 DLC issues or how bad Origin is. The point is this game is fun. The multiplayer brings hours of replayability and the singleplayer finishes the awesome trilogy that is Mass Effect. I don't care about the ending controversy either. I have faith in BioWare fixing it with the Extended Cut update.
  84. X19
    May 22, 2012
    Who knew 15 minutes could turn a game worthy of a 9 drop down to a 4? It's ridiculous as this game deserves so much more. I have never felt so emotionally connected to a video game before this. I actually cared about the characters. I was on the brink of tears at one point and I'm not one who cries easily. Mass Effect 3 has always been about the characters for me. ME2 really brought thisWho knew 15 minutes could turn a game worthy of a 9 drop down to a 4? It's ridiculous as this game deserves so much more. I have never felt so emotionally connected to a video game before this. I actually cared about the characters. I was on the brink of tears at one point and I'm not one who cries easily. Mass Effect 3 has always been about the characters for me. ME2 really brought this into full scale. It's one thing to go up against a seemingly invincible force, but it's another to do it with people you feel you would care about and even die for. I won't spoil more, but if you want the best possible experience; I recommend going through the first two games before this one. Gameplay has always seemed an afterthought in Bioware games, but it's not disregarded here. You feel like a complete bad*** when you stride through the field of battle sliding over cover and occasionally rolling into cover when hurt, all the while shooting at menacing foes who do not fear death or pain. The way Shepard holds his pistol is pretty awkward looking, especially in the first part of the game, but that's it. Finally, the ending. What did I think? I thought it was terrible. It made no sense whatsoever. It defiled all logic and everything you fought for. It just seemed like a marketing stunt by EA for expansions and sequels. Did it ruin all those hours I put into ME1 and 2? Absolutely not. I didn't regret a single second of my time spent in this game or it's predecessors. Would I buy ME4? No, Bioware did screw up with the ending. Even if the indoctrination theory were true, the ending is total nonsense. Play the other games, buy this one, but stop at the point when Shepard levitates up into the ending. (You'll know it when you see it.) Quit game and draw your own conclusions. That's the best way to experience this game. Expand
  85. May 24, 2012
    I actually find it pretty absurd that ME3 gets as much hate as it does. It's different from the first two games, but in no way is it worse. There is less emphasis on inventory, less emphasis on fetch quests, and those are not bad things. I certainly don't miss hacking minigames, and I definitely don't miss mining. ME3 cuts out the stuff that was unnecessary, improves on the core elements,I actually find it pretty absurd that ME3 gets as much hate as it does. It's different from the first two games, but in no way is it worse. There is less emphasis on inventory, less emphasis on fetch quests, and those are not bad things. I certainly don't miss hacking minigames, and I definitely don't miss mining. ME3 cuts out the stuff that was unnecessary, improves on the core elements, and the result is a very good installment to a great series.

The story is focused but creative and you are moving towards the ultimate goal at all times. As with all ME games, the scale of the game is impressive. In ME3 there is much less emphasis on sidequests, which is good because I always got the feeling I was up against the clock and didn't need to be running around doing favors for people you barely know. You constantly feel like what you are doing is important, like it needs to be done and you're the only one who can do it. "Do this so my species' army will stand beside you" just makes a lot more sense than do this so you can have some credits/move one step closer to 100% completion. And the gameplay: it's awesome. Vast improvement over any other installment. It plays not just like a shooter, but like a very good shooter. It stands alone as one of the best FPS games I've ever played. Coupled with the elements that make ME great, like the character interactions and the story, and you have a near flawless game.

Of course, the ending is horrendous, but I played through the game in 25 hours and the last twenty minutes doesn't undo everything that came before it. This is a great, great game, and I find it sort of baffling that the general consensus is that it's not a great game. It deserves to be thought of in the same ways as the first two. The series evolved as it went along, but again, that's not a bad thing. As much as I enjoy being able to wander around aimlessly looking for things to do, sometimes a game benefits from cutting out the time wasters and sticking to the core story that it is trying to tell. That is exactly what ME3 did, and it did it well.
  86. May 30, 2012
    I haven't played the single player (though i did watch my roomate play it), but I have played the mulitplayer so much. I love the mulitplayer and it deserves at least an 8 for that. I watched the ending and I thought it wasn't that bad.
  87. Jun 1, 2012
    Tight controls, beautiful environments, and fluent combat all make ME3 what it is today, a success. The storyline too makes it a beautifully written book. The largest issue to the "mob" seems to be a lackluster ending, an increadibly small price to play considering the 30 hours i'v put into each game in the series (plus the 60 extra hours from playing two other characters on varyingTight controls, beautiful environments, and fluent combat all make ME3 what it is today, a success. The storyline too makes it a beautifully written book. The largest issue to the "mob" seems to be a lackluster ending, an increadibly small price to play considering the 30 hours i'v put into each game in the series (plus the 60 extra hours from playing two other characters on varying difficulties). Considering all the choices made throughout four games, what the hell did people expect? Turian Strippers and Quarian supremecy? For those of you not stuck up on the Single Player, the multiplayer too has lots of fun to be had. Like short war stories one holds the line and moves forward with valid team combat. The idea that Bioware didn't innovate or expand on the original two is amusing, If they had picked any ending beside the one in now, it would be flamed. If They had everyone wear special hats, it would be flamed. The biggest issue i have with the game is the lack of a Mako, it made the game a bit more interesting, stumbling around in the universe in your own casket-box and being quite suprised when you see your first Maw. Expand
  88. Jun 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Having played Mass Effect from the first game on, I had high expectations going into Mass Effect 3. Being the conclusion of a trilogy that can only be described as "epic", Mass Effect 3 needed to be a fantastic game to live up to the previous games. In my opinion, Bioware succeeded. There are very few games that keep my attention for long, especially games that are so single player oriented. Mass Effect 3 is one of those few. Probably the best thing about most Bioware games are the characters. The writers at Bioware are excellent at crafting characters that the player cares about, characters that you will not forget. Mass Effect 3 does not deviate from this trend. Even Shepard, the main character of the Mass Effect trilogy, seems to have finally picked up more of a personality. Probably the most defining part of Mass Effect 3 is the music, though. From scene to scene, the music drives the player's emotions, inciting the feeling of sadness or triumph whenever the tone would fit. As for the games newly introduced multiplayer, I admit I was not expecting much when the feature was first introduced. After playing for the first time, I was surprised to find a well crafted mode that requires teamwork in order to survive (especially while playing gold, the modes highest difficulty. Even after a couple of months, I am still very much enjoying the multiplayer. The addition to two free map packs has certainly helped as well. All in all, I have very much enjoyed the final chapter in the Mass Effect trilogy, and would very much recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a well developed sci fi universe with well developed characters and an outstanding story. Expand
  89. Jun 4, 2012
    The way people are talking about Mass effect 3 seems harsh. I believe the game was just as good as the second,while the first being more of a classic then it's sequals. The dialog was excellent and on the same level with the second game, I would say. The moral choices are also very appealing and varied, and it feels like the stakes are higher with each choice you make because,well, theThe way people are talking about Mass effect 3 seems harsh. I believe the game was just as good as the second,while the first being more of a classic then it's sequals. The dialog was excellent and on the same level with the second game, I would say. The moral choices are also very appealing and varied, and it feels like the stakes are higher with each choice you make because,well, the entire living galactic population is on the verge of annihilation. The gameplay elements are mostly identical to mass effect 2's which means the game plays very intense and spactacular. People might complain that the characters don't offer as much variety and quality in the dialoge but I dissagree. Most of these characters have already made their full appearance in the last games, so you can't really expand too much on more then established characters(like Garrus, for example). The plot is very cinematic and the game feels like a giant dramatic Sci-fi movie that always keeps you on your toes. The major problem people have with this game is the ending. At first I felt the same;I thought this ending is ridiculous, but as I looked in the internet, I saw a brilliant explenation to that odd and unfulfilling ending. I won't give out spoilers but I think the entire game seems a lot more clear when you see it in the right angle. This game is fantastic, it truly is. I can understand the angry fans who wanted a closure, but to me the game made sense and I hope it will for you as well. Expand
  90. Jun 4, 2012
    People really need to stop bashing this game. Though the ending is rather bad, the rest of the game is fantastic. The story telling, the gameplay, the writing, its all fantastic. My only complaint to the game, besides the ending, is the lack of content in the multiplayer. Otherwise, this game is a must buy.
  91. Jun 5, 2012
    Very dissapointing ending but.... This game is just pure awesomeness. Way better than me2, and as good as me1. Me3 would be perfect if not the ending...
  92. Jun 10, 2012
    I have not been a fan of Bioware since the Dragon Age 2 disaster or the ME series. Especially ME 2 with it's nerve wrecking harvesting, story unlikeliness and blank environments had me building up high levels of denial against it.

But i just had to see the ending in ME 3, and i'm glad i did. I regard ME 3 as the best part of the series, it's good enough to compensate for all the flaws and

But i just had to see the ending in ME 3, and i'm glad i did.
    I regard ME 3 as the best part of the series, it's good enough to compensate for all the flaws and drags in the previous 2 parts.
    Few Games today have such high quality and enjoable amount of content. To some minor extent i can even understand the weak last minute DLC ripping.

POSITIVE:
    Believable Story that makes you play along, interesting Dialogs, strong Atmosphere, Gameplay is fun (played as Vanguard), nice and smooth visuals. Good difficulty on normal (being careless get's you killed).

NEUTRAL:
    It does need a few tweaks to get it in shape, check the ME wiki on how to. 6x speed for scenes and walking really can make a difference.
    It's not an RPG and shouldn't be marketed as one.
    Weapons are interesting, but most of the them are pretty much alike. Personally i found myself always coming back to the particle rifle.
    Nothing overly new, just a perfect wrapping up of the universe they created. Some low textures now and then, but nothing really disturbing.

NEGATIVE:
    A few more customization options for armor would have been nice, currently I'd regard them as mainly cosmetic.
    Character relation's were a bit of focus this time.
    It had to end, and i would have preferred a stronger and more personal ending, but honestly i'm ok with it. Large scale problems do call for uncompromising solutions.
  93. Jun 12, 2012
    IT WASN'T THAT BAD. The majority of the game is excellent, with certain character deaths really adding to the overall experience of the series (two in particular). The combat is exciting and fluid, the dialogue well written and well voice acted, and some of the choices are deep, and philosophically challenging. Yes, the ending wasn't what we expected, and I'm as annoyed as everyone else,IT WASN'T THAT BAD. The majority of the game is excellent, with certain character deaths really adding to the overall experience of the series (two in particular). The combat is exciting and fluid, the dialogue well written and well voice acted, and some of the choices are deep, and philosophically challenging. Yes, the ending wasn't what we expected, and I'm as annoyed as everyone else, but we can't let 10 minutes ruin a trilogy which we have passed countless well-spent hours playing! Expand
  94. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant game.
    I honestly can't really see why people are complaining so much. I've managed to get 45 hours of play out of this game, and I've not even played the multiplayer yet.
    The story is fantastic, the decisions you make DO affect the game and story.
    But yes, the ending was a little lacking, but what did everyone expect? A 20 minute film? It's a game, people. You play games... for the game. Not the cinematics. If you wanted a cinematic, go to the cinema or play Final Fantasy. Oh wait. You slated that for being too cinematic. Make up your minds already.

Honestly, I didn't find these plot holes everyone's been banging on about. The biggest one they talk about is "how come the Normandy and crew got out of there alive!? D:" But it's kind of obvious. They did what they do on every mission in the entire game so far - escape just before everything goes kaboom.
    The crew's just seen Shepard blown to smithereens in a giant death ray. Personally, I'd be running the heck out of there too.
    And when a ginormous space station is about to blow up, Joker does exactly what Shepard told him to do - run the heck out of there instead of trying to go down with the ship.
    So plot hole? Not really. It's just people expecting to have everything spoon-fed to them.

Now on to the "multi-player affects single player" gripe. Personally, I think it's a good thing if multiplayer affects the ending. Otherwise you completely separate the game in multiplayer and single player.

Next, the "Deus Ex Machina" problem people mention, it's not there. Right from the first game they established that the Citadel summoned the Reapers. Which part of that don't people get?
    And then the "but if the justification is to stop the robots rising up... why're the Reapers robots!? D:" well... because they're machines without AI. Seeing as the Geth missions were all compulsory, and explained this plot point, and went through it several times over saying "but what if they rise up and destroy us!?" I'd've hoped people who played the game and didn't just read someone's ill-informed rant would have noticed that that's what the Citadel was trying to stop. And that the Reapers were 1. Organic / synthetics like Shepard, 2. Under the control of the Citadel, and 3. Didn't have an AI to rise up against the Citadel.
    People are also complaining about the day-one DLC that explains "major plot points". For the record - I've played it. Twice. And it doesn't. The character in it essentially says "I'm a soldier, not a scientist. What did you expect me to know? Moron." Everything else in it is already covered elsewhere in the game.

But anyhow. The game has a few problems in it. The mission tracker thing doesn't update which can be really annoying, and the pre-rendered cinematics are of low quality. On the other hand, there are hundreds of side-quests, each with their own micro-story. At the end it would have been nice to have a quick montage of how the final choice affected the galaxy, but otherwise - no need for all the negative reviews. Yes, it's disappointing that there are only really three ways the game can end, and none of them have distinct cinematics at the end, but I played this game for the story and the game play. Not the cinematics.
    The end's half-baked, but does that really warrant 2,000 negative reviews that say "I loved the game. Until the end. Have a 0 Bioware. The game was worse than any I've ever played".

Oh, and the graphics were great. I played ME2 and ME3 back-to-back. There was an improvement. If they weren't good enough for you, buy a proper graphics card and put it on full.
  95. Jun 21, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was the worst game in the series. While Multiplayer was a nice addition, i think that the singleplayer suffered a lot. Most time there are only two choices (the middle option is missing, except in some parts), the journal system got worse from me2 to 3 (how can that happen?), no vehicle exploration or little mini games and to much Auto-Dialog (Story- and RPG-Mode). Now letsMass Effect 3 was the worst game in the series. While Multiplayer was a nice addition, i think that the singleplayer suffered a lot. Most time there are only two choices (the middle option is missing, except in some parts), the journal system got worse from me2 to 3 (how can that happen?), no vehicle exploration or little mini games and to much Auto-Dialog (Story- and RPG-Mode). Now lets go to the multiplayer. The matchmaking is the worst I have ever seen and the anti-cheating system is overly sensitive (Everyone can report someone and he gets banned even he didnt do anything. Happend to me 2 times already. Had to report these mistakes and got to play multiplayer again). The good Aspects of the Game are that the dialog with your squadmates are unique and funny. You could have though BioWare looked directly into the souls of the fans. Some Missions were so unique and awesome (Tuchanka for example) that it could have redeemed BioWare for all those bad aspects. But the one thing that is the worst piece of yeah i think you know what i mean are these super intelligence-insulting endings. With that ending and the bad aspect of the game bioware not only ruined its reputation but lost a lot of (good) fans. I'd rate this game minus (over)9000 but because of some awesome moments i rate it with good will a 2 out of 10. BioWare please take these critism to heart and change while you still can! I still have faith in you. Expand
  96. Jun 22, 2012
    Mass effect as a trilogy is by far one of the better action RPGs out there. Mass effect 3 is an excellent addition to it, though its ending may leave you feeling unsatisfied. You play as Commander Shepard, on a quest to save the galaxy from the Reapers, who are these ancient synthetic aliens hell bent on wiping out all organic life. It's a shooter RPG, and while the gameplay is quite niceMass effect as a trilogy is by far one of the better action RPGs out there. Mass effect 3 is an excellent addition to it, though its ending may leave you feeling unsatisfied. You play as Commander Shepard, on a quest to save the galaxy from the Reapers, who are these ancient synthetic aliens hell bent on wiping out all organic life. It's a shooter RPG, and while the gameplay is quite nice especially compared to earlier mass effect editions, the heart and soul of this game is not in its gameplay but in its story and characterization. You'll care about your squad members in a way you wouldn't in other games. You'll actually want to know what happens to them. This is bioware's strength: creating games with characters you actually like and want to know more about. For most of the game and especially the Tuchanka mission, the game is an absolute blast. It is more challenging than Mass effect 1 and 2 in a good way, and they've removed the distracting mini games. There has been much written about Mass effect 3's ending and for good reason, if you are like the majority you will wonder what the hell happened. Its ending is not its strength, but don't let that dissuade you. It's mostly a really great game. To get the most out of it, I highly recommend playing mass effect 1 and 2 first, as your choices will carry over into 3 and make it that much more meaningful. Expand
  97. Jun 24, 2012
    This game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatestThis game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatest ending's of all time. The ending ranks high on my favorite endings, among Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc.

People who hate this ending are self-entitled brats giant expectations that are unrealistic. Each ending PERFECTLY reflected your decisions throughout the game. lol
  98. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished playing ME3 with all the available DLC's including the extended cut...so far I played through the "Refusing to choice", Synthesis" and "Destruction" options. The first two while bitter sweet, were rather good. Where as the destruction option, just left me feeling frustrated. Due to where it shows Shepard suddenly taking a breath as though having been out cold. But then the credits begin rolling.

It just made it seem like more of a teaser to see Shepard's suddenly breath in and then nothing else. I can understand Bioware wanting to leave it up to the gamers imagination...but that teaser, is like torture.

I just wanted to mention that. But again the other two ending options I played through, those were rather good and while I don't know what the original shorter endings were like, I did appreciate the extended cut version. I just would have liked to have more certainty of Shepard's fate after that breath.

Heck I really would have enjoyed seeing an option where Shepard rejoins his friends upon the Normandy. But what can be told, aside from just appreciating the fact that at least his friends survived and the she/he got to breath again.

At any rate, the game overall was amazing...and perhaps I feel that way because I waited until the extended cut DLC became available.
  99. Jul 8, 2012
    After looking at all the red scores this game has received I have been compelled to speak out. I don't think most users have given this game a fair go. It has received this negative criticism for many reasons. Some of the criticism is fair, but most of it is drivel written by petulant children that didn't get their cookie.

Firstly there had been unrealistic expectations placed upon

Firstly there had been unrealistic expectations placed upon it. It is the third of an epic trilogy. Not only did it have three times the attention that an original release would have done, but it also carried with it two games worth of changeable back-story that needed working into the plot. That is a serious amount of baggage for any development team to work with. Pleasing everyone was never going to happen if the game was ever going to be released. I am amazed however how smoothly the game plays out having played through it now with three different save game imports. Bioware have done a superlative job in simply getting a coherent story out of two games worth (70 hours worth) of loose threads, and should be commended for their efforts.

Secondly plot has developed in line with the popular hero trend. If you want your hero

1. Apr 11, 2012