Mass Effect 3 PC

5.5

1. ryn
    May 15, 2012
    There are many areas where ME3 has improved upon it's predecessors. Unfortunately, the price for all of these improvements was too high. Let me start by saying that the ME universe has never felt so small. The Citadel is the only hub "world"Â
  2. Mar 11, 2012
    Bastards - taking content out of the game to sell it on Day 1 for even more money? If you don't respect your customers, customers won't respect you. FU!
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    Bioware continues to dumb down their games.
    This game is everything but an RPG. In order to make the game appealing for everybody they stripped everything from it, everything, creating a hollow shell of the first game (a Reaper Husk) I played it through only because of the story.
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    Thank God.. this is why i use Meta for everything... no BS no paid off journalism just the freakin truth. We have been getting screwed this whole year .. Bethesda kicked my teeth in with Rag(e) and B(usted)rink and now EA screws the biggest pooch of all.. way to F go you money hungry half azzed dumb sh*ts. greed has taken over the entire damn industry without Indie games i almostThank God.. this is why i use Meta for everything... no BS no paid off journalism just the freakin truth. We have been getting screwed this whole year .. Bethesda kicked my teeth in with Rag(e) and B(usted)rink and now EA screws the biggest pooch of all.. way to F go you money hungry half azzed dumb sh*ts. greed has taken over the entire damn industry without Indie games i almost didnt have a gaming year.. EA you suck.. if Diablo 3 is screwed up ( nothing to do with EA) Im giving up. Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2012
    Possibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons andPossibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons and commendation packs they throw at me, the game is dead to me. I paid for it and have no interest in ever going back. And all those "critics" who gave the game a 10/10...I doubt I'll be trusting your opinions from here on out. Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    10 for all of the game up until the ending. 1 for the ending. Bioware managed to destroy 100+ hours of great gameplay across all 3 parts of the trilogy with last 10 minutes of the game. Impressive achievement, but I don't like it.

The game is awesome in every aspect up until the very end. Don't know why Bioware did this but they did. They killed DA franchise with DA2 and now this.

They killed DA franchise with DA2 and now this. Not pre-ordering any Bioware game. Will wait until reviews come in.
  7. Mar 9, 2012
    Too little ammo, global cooldown on all abilities defeating use of them in place of fireaarms. Removal of barrier and biotics only having thier full effect on weak enemies.

The ending didn't tie in with the rest of the game at all.

Frankly I advise everyone to play Mass Effect 1 and then write their own ending. The spin off on the story that began in Mass Effect 2 isn't worthy of it.
  8. oso
    Mar 8, 2012
    Right now iam not able to play the game because it keeps telling me i had somehow entered a wrong cerebrus code... i have no idea what that is supposed to mean but as long as im not allowed to play this **** legitimate buyed copy of ME3 it is a ZERO POINTS for me.
  9. Mar 7, 2012
    The game is very disappointing. They removed the planet and resources exploration, almost no dynamic dialogs (most of the game if cut scene dialogue), removed completely the RPG from the game..
    A bad way to end a trilogy. Mass Effect 2 was the best in the series because it mixed RPG and action TPS but now with Mass Effect 3, it remains only Action TPS and that's sucks!!
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    This is atrocity. 1. DLC 'From ashes' already on the disc of collector's edition at least.
    2. Problems with new facial system. I bought 2 collector's editions of Mass Effect 1 and 2. I lived with my character for 4 years already. And now what? I just have to wait for BioWare doing their job correctly? 2 years of development and this is how you treat paying customers?

Thank you Electronic Arts for making the BioWare company it is today. Great games, great crappy performance, great greed.

Lights out.
  11. Mar 7, 2012
    The failures from Bioware just keep stacking up after they got bought by EA. First Dragon Age 2, then Swtor and now Mass Effect 3. Big shame for what used to be such a great developer.
  12. Mar 7, 2012
    Hey Eric Kain, believe it or not, my negative review has nothing to do with any gay or lesbian choices. It has to do with the terrible endings that absolutely negate any choices I made in the previous two games. hours getting those exactly the way I wanted. You know why? Because I cared about the characters and the results of my characters decisions. The ending choices are a non-choice. IHey Eric Kain, believe it or not, my negative review has nothing to do with any gay or lesbian choices. It has to do with the terrible endings that absolutely negate any choices I made in the previous two games. hours getting those exactly the way I wanted. You know why? Because I cared about the characters and the results of my characters decisions. The ending choices are a non-choice. I will never support Bioware or the freaking retard Helper that wrote this abominations with my money again. To everyone saying "Oh, they're just mad at the gay sex": Grow up. This has nothign to do with you wanting to be a victim, it has everything to do with poor writing, crappy endings and the disloyalty Bioware has shown ME fans. Expand
  13. Mar 7, 2012
    this is very disappointing lack of variety of combat elements. just shoot and run shoot and run and thats it binding every action into one key responsible for run,pick, cover, heal is absolutely retarded this will get you killed very often when you try to run but it ducks into some ridiculous cover rpg elements are ridiculously insufficient. poor graphics on pc lack quality anti aliasing ,this is very disappointing lack of variety of combat elements. just shoot and run shoot and run and thats it binding every action into one key responsible for run,pick, cover, heal is absolutely retarded this will get you killed very often when you try to run but it ducks into some ridiculous cover rpg elements are ridiculously insufficient. poor graphics on pc lack quality anti aliasing , just some ridiculously blurry silly fxaa instead of msaa and high texture also lacking no match for skyrim and previous mass effect titles what a shame bioware such a huge let down Expand
  14. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioware has now proven that they are entirely incapable of delivering sequels nowadays. After the catastrophe that was DA2, which left me with a great feeling of dissapointment, I was vary, but since I thought the ME series had other developers than DA2, I still thought I didn't need to worry. But it seems everyone at Bioware has read the same game developer book, "How to ruin promising IPs". I truly loved DA:O and ME1, I liked ME2 although I was worried of the direction. But this game and DA2 is pure crap.

Worst of all is Biowares inability to deliver satisfying endings although that is far from all there is. I thought DA2's ending was the worst, but ME3's "Different Colors" endings are a slap in the face of ALL humanity. Take those two games and add in SW:TOR and you can see how badly Bioware manages these days, and the only reason they are still succesfull is because of past glories. To Bioware: Anyone can see that you don't want anything to do with the RPG community anymore so stop trying, leave RPG out of your game making PR and just go make braindead shooters and try to compete with MW and BF series.
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    Not just a terrible way to end the franchise, peoples choices seem to actively be shamed or spit on. Certain LI's are barely in the game and you are pidgeon-holed into how the game will end. The beginning was amazing, especially as a hardcore ME1 & ME2 fan but at the end of the game you end up with a sour taste in your mouth as if you've been sucker punched in the face and made to thinkNot just a terrible way to end the franchise, peoples choices seem to actively be shamed or spit on. Certain LI's are barely in the game and you are pidgeon-holed into how the game will end. The beginning was amazing, especially as a hardcore ME1 & ME2 fan but at the end of the game you end up with a sour taste in your mouth as if you've been sucker punched in the face and made to think you wasted your time. Expand
  16. Mar 16, 2012
    You know that time in ME1 when you had to choose whether or not to kill the Rachni? I sat there for a few minutes weighing the options. Remember when you had to decide whether or not to kill the council? Or when you had to decide to kill the heretic geth? Or whether or not to save the collector base, saving or killing the quarians and geth again, curing the genophage, Samara orYou know that time in ME1 when you had to choose whether or not to kill the Rachni? I sat there for a few minutes weighing the options. Remember when you had to decide whether or not to kill the council? Or when you had to decide to kill the heretic geth? Or whether or not to save the collector base, saving or killing the quarians and geth again, curing the genophage, Samara or Morinth??? Yeah none of that mattered at all. Hope you didn't actually get emotionally invested in any of those choices like I did or you might just break the disc after the impossibly poorly put together ending. I will never play ME1, 2, or 3 again because I know the ending boils down to red, blue, or green so all the decisions you made are pointles... Oh yeah and hope you didn't like any of your romances as they really really don't matter. Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first two games. And this game certainly delivered, just the way I had hoped â Expand
  18. Apr 9, 2012
    After Dragon Age 2 you thought EA would stop.. but no!! they did it again!! let's be honest the game is a let down compared to ME2 and the fact that the reviewing sites acclaim this with a 10/10 or a 9/10, it's just ridicolous. the game is fine until you discover that your decisions, the allies you find along the way and the difficulties you overcome during the game have no weight in theAfter Dragon Age 2 you thought EA would stop.. but no!! they did it again!! let's be honest the game is a let down compared to ME2 and the fact that the reviewing sites acclaim this with a 10/10 or a 9/10, it's just ridicolous. the game is fine until you discover that your decisions, the allies you find along the way and the difficulties you overcome during the game have no weight in the final battle. if you expect something similar to the suicide mission in ME2 where your choice mattered you'll be very disappointed! Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2012
    I signed up at metacritic just to write this review. It's awful that metacritic gives this game a 93 rating on some top screens, based on the reviews of 13 "critics." The spread here between a 9.3 critic score and a 3.6 user score is the largest I've ever seen. This game is the most annoying game I've ever seen.

I'm going to this trouble because I absolutely loved Mass Effect 1 and 2,

I'm going to this trouble because I absolutely loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, and I was really pumped for 3. But 3 is a DISASTER!

1. Paid $50 for store version plus $25 for game guide. I can't return it because I wrote my Origin password on the insert with the validation code. The game guide got a cracked spine the first time I opened it! Low quality all the way.

2. I'm a sophisticated computer game player and computer programmer, with more than 25 years of experience. This darned game took me 2.5 hours to install! All kinds of problems.

3. I was so beat down after that, I punted after about 15 minutes. I just didn't like the feel of the initial sequence.

4. The game expects you to buy DLC content concerning a critical element of the game (the precursor aliens) right off the bat! The DLC was promoted the day the game was released! That is incredibly greedy and stupid. I never buy DLC unless I really like a game AND have finished what I bought at high price.

5. The Origin intermediary program is insane! Having selected an option at some point during the install to have this automatically start when I reboot my computer, there is no way to turn it off.

6. The game is almost impossible to run. After getting a successful install, off the $50 of DVDs I purchased, it takes 15 minutes or more to start the game! You can't just play the game you bought. You have to have Origin running (Electronic Arts's version of Steam) and it takes forever for it to log on and validate your password. Then, after the game loads, it doesn't start until it logs onto separate Electronic Arts servers. That can take more than 30 minutes!!!!! In my case this morning, it took about 8 minutes, but I've seen people complaining that at high-volume periods like Saturday night it can take more than 30 minutes. What in the heck is up with that??? Why do I need to be logged onto EA at all to play the game I just bought!!!???

7. After a full install, it is impossible to run the game offline. Most civilized systems permit this. For example, I bought Skyrim in November and was able to run it for four months offline of Steam, after getting the initial patch. Origin is a very stupid program.

8. I'm on a crappy satellite Internet location in a rural location, and the Internet connection goes down rather regularly during rough weather. But I can't play Mass Effect 3 during bad weather. That sucks. I paid $75 to buy the game and the game guide. I should be able to play it offline! (And I should be able to play it on a laptop during travel, etc.)

9. When I tried to start the game this morning, Origin insisted I had to install a 16 GB update!!! WTF? I just bought the game with physical DVDs a few days ago. No way is such a patch required. The stupid Origin program obviously thinks I need to download the entire darned game, even though I've already got it installed! By the by, on my Hughes satellite Internet connection, if I did a download like that, it would knock me off the Internet for a couple of days.

10. Finally, in the ever-growing list of fantastic aggravations, I learn from the manual and the initial game screens that I start out with all of my "war assets" in the "galactic war" set at 50%. That means ALL of the essential allies I am gathered are gimped to one-half. The ONLY ways that can be upgraded is to start with an end-game save from Mass Effect 2, or to play many, many hours of mulitiplayer combats.

Well, I can't import a Mass Effect 2 save, because the computer I was using for that was destroyed by a particularly virulent virus. And I don't want to play multiplayer combat exercises, and I couldn't do it even if I wanted to, due to my current crappy and laggy satellite Internet connection.

So, in other words, this crappy game, after collecting so much money, forces me to have such inferior troops that it may be impossible to win the game.

************* I'm VERY sore about this! I feel VERY ripped off and abused by a greedy and stupid company.
  20. Mar 8, 2012
    This game was great, interesting, brilliant, before...This is MOST STUPID end ever!!!1 I cant believe this **** is end Mass Effect 3. Hate ME series now.
  21. Mar 7, 2012
    I haven't played the game, [nahhh, dont stop reading, go on:...] and probably wont.[just a bit more...] Having read what other fans of the series ME1+2 have had to say I will keep my money in my pocket and just comment on this: Why is it that game review magazines seem to have completely gone 'corporate'? Look at the difference between the review and the gamers perspective:I haven't played the game, [nahhh, dont stop reading, go on:...] and probably wont.[just a bit more...] Having read what other fans of the series ME1+2 have had to say I will keep my money in my pocket and just comment on this: Why is it that game review magazines seem to have completely gone 'corporate'? Look at the difference between the review and the gamers perspective: "http://www.gamespot.com/mass-effect-3/reviews/mass-effect-3-review-6363906/" Gamespot, which I has always been my guiding star has of late begun completely not focusing on the essentials: Will the gamers actually like what they see? Battlefield 3 was so riddle with bugs it was unplayable. ME3 is so riddled with messy dialogue and bad story line that it seems a travesty to try it out, especially with this DLC being thrown in your face early on. A game is not only good if it has great graphics, sound track and is playable without a patch on day 3. Time to try some Indie games perhaps?

My point is this: If we can't trust the game reviews we read, then we cant trust MetaCritic's scoring either. Thus, MetaCritic needs to exercise some journalistic control on these review sites.
  22. Mar 27, 2012
    I feel like the biggest problem with this game was the blatant disregard for the consumer when they put together the story for this final piece. While I didn't think it was the worst ending to a Sci-Fi trilogy (Hello Matrix), I do think there were a few things that they could have done differently. The biggest problems I had with this game though were alot of the things they missed. TheI feel like the biggest problem with this game was the blatant disregard for the consumer when they put together the story for this final piece. While I didn't think it was the worst ending to a Sci-Fi trilogy (Hello Matrix), I do think there were a few things that they could have done differently. The biggest problems I had with this game though were alot of the things they missed. The lack of side missions, the lack of places to explore, and the fact that Bioware thinks we are all idiots with the issue with the DLC really puts a stain on this otherwise great gaming trilogy. I am glad that they are going back to address the issue of the ending but, with everything else that accompanied this game, the series really took a step back from ME 2, which I still think is one of the best sequels of all time. Bioware really lost touch with their consumers with this game and I do believe that is the EA influence doing the devil's work. The issue with the DLC will forever taint this game, no matter what they do with the ending. Still the ending of this series can be salvaged and the fans can be appeased somewhat with an ending they might like. However, in it's current form and even if the ending somehow changes everyone's mind about this game, this is still the worst game in the Mass Effect series and it's truly disappointing for me to write that. The utter disrespect shown to us players by Bioware with the DLC is the worst thing about this game and that will never go away no matter what they do with the ending. Still, if you've gone this far with the series, I would advise you to give it a chance just to see what you think. Just know that this definitely doesn't live up to the first two games in the slightest. Expand
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware you have truely sunk low.

Day 1 DLC
    Auto dialogs.
    Import bugs
    TERRIBLE ENDINGS and Writing.

All in all I hope this game flops worse than DA2.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    I regret pre-ordering this title. I only played Mass Effect 2 before and i thought this will be the same game but with different story (and maybe better graphics). It's not. It's horrible. The little things i loved in mass effect has been removed like for example mini-games! I ask - whyyyyy? Who ask you to remove it? Not me. I don't know what else could i write hear... Just read otherI regret pre-ordering this title. I only played Mass Effect 2 before and i thought this will be the same game but with different story (and maybe better graphics). It's not. It's horrible. The little things i loved in mass effect has been removed like for example mini-games! I ask - whyyyyy? Who ask you to remove it? Not me. I don't know what else could i write hear... Just read other reviews and you will get the idea. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    The first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them evenThe first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them even attempted to pick this (obviose) problem up.â Expand
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    Instead of an amazing finale to one of the best franchises in last 10 years, all we get is one big grim disappointment. Either way, endings can be described as "Life sucks then you die". Can't say this is what I was expecting. Ironically, it turned out to be that what Bioware was to Mass Effect is what Reapers were to the galaxy in game.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    I hated to see so many negative reviews, but now that im about 10 hours in I just cringe on the fact that i must support these low scores. This game has lost its way. ME 1 and 2 were In depth. ME3 is boring, characters are dull and dialogue is horrible. options of choosing what you say is only 2 choices. either paragon or renegade. nothing in between. there is no feeling of getting to knowI hated to see so many negative reviews, but now that im about 10 hours in I just cringe on the fact that i must support these low scores. This game has lost its way. ME 1 and 2 were In depth. ME3 is boring, characters are dull and dialogue is horrible. options of choosing what you say is only 2 choices. either paragon or renegade. nothing in between. there is no feeling of getting to know other characters or feeling a connection with absolutely anything. might as well play gears of war! The Genre RPG should be RIpped out of ME3. Bioware! You disappointed me this round! Expand
  28. Mar 7, 2012
    Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience'Day 1 DLC aside, this game was quite possibly the biggest disappointment so far. The story and especially its end was an incredible let-down, driven by boring, static dialogue. All of the 'new' characters lack depth and character or end up being completely irritating due to bad writing. Gameplay is lacking, RPG elements almost completely removed and the oh so praised 'Cinematic Experience' destroyed by awkward animations.

Try again without EA, Bioware.
  29. Mar 7, 2012
    If this was a new IP this game would be fine, but it is not a worthy successor to ME1/2. The game makes it very clear that you are playing Bioware's Shepard not your own. Whereas previous games allowed you to choose almost everything Shepard said, here you are railroaded with autodialog and few conversations options through the entire game. The dialogue itself is much worse than previousIf this was a new IP this game would be fine, but it is not a worthy successor to ME1/2. The game makes it very clear that you are playing Bioware's Shepard not your own. Whereas previous games allowed you to choose almost everything Shepard said, here you are railroaded with autodialog and few conversations options through the entire game. The dialogue itself is much worse than previous games as well.
    he game assumes you have read the novels and makes them canon for your Shepard, there is not even a expository line about Anderson stepping down. If you havent played arrival you are similarly left without adequate explanation for the events leading up to ME3. As well, the game is buggy as hell. Expect random freezing/crashes at some missions, missions that wont update, and numerous graphical bugs. You cant even import your ME1 face, I cannot even understand how they thought it was ok to release the game without fixing that one.
    While ME's story has always had a lot of problems with logic and plot holes, the ending to ME3 goes off the deep end. I have no problems with a grim ending, if it is done well, but the ending here, the ending to your Shepard's story now and forever is illogical as hell and poorly written. Nothing you have done throughout the entire series makes a difference in the end, you will be forced into one of three stupid choices, none of which make a damn bit of sense.
  30. Mar 7, 2012
    as someone who enjoyed 1 2 this is a disgrace to the franchise what a terrible way to end it the graphics where awful the game play was so dumbed down it felt like gears of war and the lack of almost everything RPG related was unacceptable.
  31. Mar 7, 2012
    Then ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that weThen ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that we got a clone of WoW in space (KoTOR) that is failure 2. And now ME3â Expand
  32. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The overall game was good up until the ending. Each of the ending, Shepard dies and the Mass Effect relays are destroyed. What really ruined it was half-way through the game on the Citadel someone asked that if the Mass Effect relays were destroyed if it would stop the Reaper attacks.

The ending was not original by any means. Your good ending is GREEN, the Reapers leave (but are not destroyed) because they had a change of heart. The bad ending is RED and literally, synthetic life is destroyed (Reapers, Geth, EDI, etc). The neutral/Illusive Man ending is BLUE and Shepard becomes the God of the Reapers, humans becoming the dominant race in the galaxy. I have decided at this point that I will never by another Bioware game. SWTOR was a letdown, so I unsubbed. Mass Effect 3 was watered down and unoriginal, so I am disappointed. Dragon Age 2 was disgusting and watered down, which disappointed me. Bioware went from telling amazing stories to just another EA company banking on a collective interest. Also, the Day 1 DLC was *essential* to the story and without it you're missing a huge chunk of information. $10 for content that should have been included with the game.

Bioware, this has already been done by the Deus Ex franchise. This is not original and I was very very disappointed.
  33. Mar 7, 2012
    Let's divide this in 2 categories Gameplay and Story

Let's divide this in 2 categories Gameplay and Story

Gameplay: I find myself in an amazingly dumbed down game. Mass Effect 1 was a great piece of Action Role Playing game, developing your own Sheppard was basicly the purpose of the game and your decitions would mean everything at any point of the game... ME2 ... dumbed things down but we still retained that feeling of control over the situations... ME3 simply disposed of this. Absurdly limited options at all times, guided responses and quite a lacking 'Action' feeling with dificult to track camera angles and constant shaking (that tries to emulate some sort of movie but instead just blocks your actions) tend to present themselves as a turnoff. The game is not Graphically impressive as it has shown, expressions are lacking and the overall presentation seems that relies too heavy on some sort of grain filter that bothers the eye.

the multiplayer is clunky and proof that trying to convert your Action RPG into a TPS RPG is not a good idea.

Story: After all this is an RPG, but let's leave aside that mostof your options don't matter, if the story is good one can forgive that... but we meet a pale shadow of what Sheppard was, that barelly keeps track of his recent disgraces only to form an alliance that may go nowhere (and that at the end serves little purpose) the crew of the Normandy presents itself as a cardboard version of their ME1 and 2 selves and the new characters are equally plain. I decided to see how the multiple companion options were but when I noticed that most of the effects meant "Sheppard gets laid, forgets the issue and then continues his quest" with no repercutions whatsoever simply... well, it shows how "important" relationships are in this game...

The endings are dissapointing and likelly copied from other sources, predictable options that serve no other pupose than forcing the player to play a few more times a few scenes... A Mediocre ending for a series that started greatly as a way to show hard science fiction... dumbed down into a mediocre soap opera about a crew that wishes to get laid during an open war.
  34. Mar 8, 2012
    I read all the negative user reviews and thought "meh, troll campaign". Having now bought ME3 I can tell you how wrong I was.

I started play and was greeted with a full-on 5 minute IG cutscene which told me nothing of what had happened since ME2, built no atmosphere and could have been better acted out by brewer's yeast. This would have been OK had there been something pretty to look at, however by the end of this protracted, dry-wretch-inducing fable I was still waiting for the textures to pop in. They never did; and neither did the skybox (which looks like a late 90s perlin noise experiment), text renderings (HO5M4H0V - oops, I mean NORMANDY - I'm looking at you), bullet graphical effects or any other advancement in graphics technology since the early 00's.

I have read complaints about the animations and I tend to agree with them, however I did derive some entertainment from this aspect of the game by finding a battle zone, blasting the Benny Hill theme from my stereo and then dashing around it, avoiding cover wherever possible. Due to the new "playability and experience-centric" combat system I actually found it quite difficult to die while doing this.

Sadly, the story-line and telling is the biggest casualty here. I don't usually complain about story-lines per se because usually this borders on personal preference - who gets mad at a book because things don't end the way they want them to? - but in this instance I feel I have to; the story line simply ignores anything that happened in any other ME game and the setting as a whole. Imagine if a scene in LOTR: The Return of the King had seen Sauron march up to Aragorn, flip on his ghetto blaster and serve him legal notice to get down and funky for hobbiton. Could be a great scene; shouldn't be in a LOTR movie - right? The writers of ME3 would disagree with you.

The voice acting is wooden and poorly synced with facial animations, just as the lines are tired, cliched and poorly synced with your dialogue "choices". I don't use those inverted commas lightly; the dialogue choices are akin picking one of two bottles labelled "coke" and "pepsi", one filled with water from the fountain of youth and the other with aqua regia. It's hard to take a game seriously when almost every dialogue choice plays like the grail scene from Indiana Jones and yet does nothing to advance the plot.

There's more - the controls, the "RPG" system, the AI and the return of the mini games (now transformed into button-press-cutscenes) - but, in all honesty and not being a terribly fussy gamer, I could have honestly enjoyed this game if it had got any one of the major parts above right. It didn't and hence I didn't. I sincerely hope that you have found this review persuasive (If you haven't bought it yet) or condoling (If you have).
  35. Mar 9, 2012
    Really disappointed in this game, played both ME1 and ME2...they were great. But this one is just bad, day 1 dlc really badly wrote ending
    overall emptyness of the game..just feels hollow... choices u made previous game make hardly any visible impact in this game. They had good series going on, feels like they just wanted to finish it fast and move to other projects.
  36. Mar 8, 2012
    The other reviews all giving this P.O.S. negative reviews all cover the points pretty well so i dont feel the need to make a long diatribe asto why this game eats crap. The fact that the paid reviewers rate it so high makes me want to vomit. Aside from the whole gay thing (and being gay is pretty common these days.. if you own an apple product you ARE gay and probably in denial) the gameThe other reviews all giving this P.O.S. negative reviews all cover the points pretty well so i dont feel the need to make a long diatribe asto why this game eats crap. The fact that the paid reviewers rate it so high makes me want to vomit. Aside from the whole gay thing (and being gay is pretty common these days.. if you own an apple product you ARE gay and probably in denial) the game is short as **** but what do you expect when they make a 1/2 assed single player game and a 1/2 assed multiplayer game. Mind you i never liked the first mass effect and HATED the fact that they took the 1 enjoyable thing (the mako) out of the second game. When will the idiot masses learn that bioware doesnt exist anymore, they are EA and as such they release more DLC than they do game. PLEASE for the love of god do not buy this game and if you already did DO NOT buy any DLC, if you do you are essentially saying " i am all for paying too much for ****ty games and than paying even more for content that should have been in the game to begin with.", which makes you an idiot. I wouldnt mind releasing a game and then an expansion like in the old days, but **** no frills gaming. Expand
  37. Mar 8, 2012
    I keep messing up my score so let's try again. I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I thought this final episode in the Mass Effect franchise was a colossal betrayal. I have spent a considerable amount of time and money procuring and experiencing every bit of available content for both prior episodes. I have spent countless hours meticulously refining my Shep and his backstoryI keep messing up my score so let's try again. I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I thought this final episode in the Mass Effect franchise was a colossal betrayal. I have spent a considerable amount of time and money procuring and experiencing every bit of available content for both prior episodes. I have spent countless hours meticulously refining my Shep and his backstory only to see my efforts frittered away by a unscrupulous EA board and their erstwhile stooges in BW, both of which are now beyond redemption in my eyes. I was savvy enough to avoid the travesty that is SW:TOR but I surrendered my judgement went I decided to give BW the benefit of the doubt this time round - more fool me. Oh and why are all the the fanbois attacking other posters? It's not their place judge others' critiques. Expand
  38. Mar 11, 2012
    Not surprised that EA and Bioware made a crappy ending. It looks like in recent years its their ''style'' to slap customers in the face.
  39. Mar 7, 2012
    Total disappointment. Mass Effect 3 universe is dead. I spent more time in ME/ME2 reading the Codex and discovering the well-built sci-fi world. But here... This is some sort of B-rated movie, CoD from BW
  40. Mar 7, 2012
    EA and their Origin service have raped the good name of Bioware. Not only they pumping money with their **** websites, their customer service suck. With their so-called piracy protections, normal customers have problems playing the game they used money on. Prepare to pay up and get nothing in return when you're dealing with these guys.
  41. Mar 13, 2012
    Literally goes from a 10/10 to a 3/10 in the last 10 minutes of the game. What color would you like to destroy the universe with? I literally wasted hundreds of hours wasted on this trilogy.
  42. Mar 10, 2012
    I can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... the game is rather bad. Or rather, the endings (all of them) spoil the entire game and story experience. After ME 2 (which I rather liked) I did not expect an increase in RPG elements, nor the return of a proper inventory system. I was prepared for more of ME 2 play style and in that regard the game delivered what it promised. The storyI can't believe I'm actually going to say this but... the game is rather bad. Or rather, the endings (all of them) spoil the entire game and story experience. After ME 2 (which I rather liked) I did not expect an increase in RPG elements, nor the return of a proper inventory system. I was prepared for more of ME 2 play style and in that regard the game delivered what it promised. The story is decent (as far as I'm concerned) and the side quests make more sense than in ME 1, but the ending... OH MY GOD!! I am a grown man, I realize that this is just a game but still, the disappointment is really very very high. Totally uninspired, plot holes all over the place plus the whole Catalyst idea pulled right out of someones a*ss! Unbelievable, and totally unacceptable. Shame on you! Expand
  43. Mar 13, 2012
    False advertising, lies and an ending that ruined the entire franchise. Nice work! I only gave it a 1 as the game up to the ending was fun - for a 3rd person shooter. If I had never played ME before and chose "action" mode over RPG and did not give care about the characters, I would have scored it an 8+ but as it stands, it's a travesty and a slap in the face.
  44. Mar 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I had to wait a few hours after finishing the game before writing a review because I wanted to take some time to look back on ME1/ME2 and be as fair and objective as possible when collecting my thoughts on ME3. This game is amazing in several ways: (1) dialogue between familiar (and to some extent unfamiliar) characters feels more real and natural, (2) combat is a lot more interesting and, in some scenes, more challenging than both ME1 and ME2, (3) the cinematic scenes depicting various key events in the story are visually engaging and easy to connect with emotionally, (4) the romance interactions between Shepard and his/her LI is a vast improvement from both ME1 and ME2, and (5) the overall visual element of the game (the Citadel, the new worlds that you visit--Rannoch and Thessia for example, and the characters themselves) made it really easy to immerse yourself in the game. Having been a huge fan of ME1 and ME2, I was happy to see that Bioware came through in these areas. I had moments where I laughed, moments where I felt giddy, and plenty of moments where I cried (e.g., Thane's death). That being said, I was incredibly surprised at how much the ending affected me. Up until the very last moments in the game (I would say up until the part where the destroyer reaper vaporizes people around you while you painfully drag yourself toward the beam), I would have given the game a 10/10 hands down. I would have bowed down to Bioware for telling the greatest story ever told. And then there was the ending: (1) The number of plot holes left is an insult to the bajillion hours that I invested in the first two games, (2) the Deus Ex-style ending completely chaffed my soul, and (3) I received next to NO closure on all of the relationships that I've been building up until the point. What happened to the people on the citadel (e.g., Bailey, the council, etc.) What happens to my team? What happens to the two squadmates that I took with me in the final battle scene? What happens to the races that I just spent hours trying to unite in hopes of a more relevant and fitting ending? I loved the Deus Ex ending in Deus Ex because it fit with what the story was about up until the end; Mass Effect was more than just a morally ambiguous thought exercise on organic vs. synthetic existence--it's SO much more than that--so why condense it all to that? I don't need Shepard to live in the end (and I certainly don't need a happily-ever-after ending where nobody dies and everyone is all smiles at the end of the reaper invasion), but I sure as hell was under the impression that I'd have the choice. I put so much thought into paragon vs. renegade, which is arguably the main driving force in the plot up until the very last scene, and it seems like no matter what you do you are boxed into an ending that's uncomfortable, unclear, and unnervingly disappointing. I was amazed at how emotionally connected I felt to the Mass Effect series, and spent what felt like an eternity looking forward to the final part of the trilogy. In terms of ME3, I felt completely satisfied with the exception of the ending, which seemed totally out of place and unnecessarily broke my enthusiasm and passion for the game. Do I hate the entire series now because of the way it ends? No. Will I deny that all 3 games are amazing in multiple ways and have allowed me to be a part of an epic story? No. Can I jump on the 10/10 bandwagon for ME3? Absolutely not, because the ending of such a huge story is critical, and in my opinion it was an epic fail in this game. If I could go back in time, I would probably have not played the game past Shepard's last speech to his/her team--at least at that point you were excited/terrified/scared, but you also had the hope that other characters instilled in you, and the hope that you spent so much time instilling into other characters. So in the end, I can't give this game a positive review, although it kills me to know that it would have been such an easy thing to do if the ending had (a) more variation and more of an actual decision-making component to it (such that all endings aren't essentially the same--I know there is room for argument here, but I maintain that it can all boil down the same basic ending), (b) incorporated more of the choices that you have been making for the past three games, (c) more relevance to the personal side of Shepard (e.g., how Shepard has evolved over time and who Shepard has become), and (d) more closure on all of the characters, relationships, and decisions that you just spent three games experiencing. You almost did it, Bioware. So close and yet so far. Expand
  45. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was great. I started out smiling, excited to get back into the universe of Mass Effect and the armored shoes of Commander Shepard. I continued smiling and grinning the whole game, everything was well written and made more or less sense, sure there were some McGuffins in the writing, but whatever, it's hard to write everything perfectly . Then the ending rolled around, we get a some sort of Deus Ex Machina, Shepard looses all of his character. The worst is that none of your choices matter, doesn't matter whether you went full-on renegade or paragon, whether you made sure every side quest was complete, whether you did everything right or everything wrong throughout the rest of the game and the other games, you get the same option of three endings that everyone else got. Congrats Bioware, you used to be my favorite game developer (You've held that spot since VALVe fell from grace). Guess I'll look for shelter in the arms of Bethesda now. Expand
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    Registered to write this review and rate, but will continue with more titles eventually, so dont remove this, ffs.

i did not like this at all, too hyped, origin was forced upon me (yes i knew this already but still it has to be mentioned how horrible it is, i hate ea) also tons of dlc and preorder bonuses that should all have been included in the base game for everyone, not to mention all the day 1 dlc. Horrible is all i can say.

oh and yeah, the gay thing. Really? Disgusting.
  47. Mar 9, 2012
    I admit to being a bioware fanboy for darn ever......until now. I was willing to over look plot holes and other issues as every game has them. But to be railroaded into the worst end of a video game I have ever heard of....inexcusable!!! This whole series has been about rallying the galaxy to fight the reapers. It has been about choices. Then at the end...none of it matters. ChooseI admit to being a bioware fanboy for darn ever......until now. I was willing to over look plot holes and other issues as every game has them. But to be railroaded into the worst end of a video game I have ever heard of....inexcusable!!! This whole series has been about rallying the galaxy to fight the reapers. It has been about choices. Then at the end...none of it matters. Choose your color of pretty lights red, blue or green and by the way...everything is destroyed. Where is the button to press to kill the reapers without killing the Geth, EDI and yourself? Hell, the whole thing has space magic happening all over the place so why don't we have this option too? Why can't I have my CAKE!!!! :)

The only way we who have already spent our money have to vent is by down rating this game. Besides, with the endings that are currently in place no impartial reviewer would rate this game any higher than an 80. I would gladly rate this game a 10/10 if the endings didn't suck so hard. I have lost count of how many times I have played ME1 and ME2. With the ending of ME3 I can't work up the desire to make another play through. I don't even want to play the first 2 games as I know that it is just a waste of time in the end.

Bioware...fix this train wreck! I beg you, fix it now or say goodbye to many future customers.
  48. Mar 9, 2012
    The ending. Oh god. THE ENDING.

Why Bioware, WHY!?!?

I loved this game, seeing all my old comrades, everything leading up to the deciding moment where I'd save Earth and ultimately the galaxy. Then Bioware took a dump on my monitor.
  49. Mar 9, 2012
    While some improvments have been made in the area of customisation everything else is a massive let down. From the dumbed down content, to the horrific writing to the ending that is an obvious ploy to sell players a new ending as DLC. Bioware is dead. All that remains the corpse being violated by EA's corporate phallus.
  50. Mar 10, 2012
    Do you want to play one of the most engaging stories of this era? Do you want to become emotionally invested in your characters?

Do you want that all to amount to a Dixie cup filled with cold diarrhea because of the final 10 minutes of the series? Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in

Mass Effect 3, and by extension Mass Effect 1 and 2, are some of the most engaging pieces of fiction I've ever had the absolute joy in partaking in. However the final ending, and I say it singular because essentially there is only one, is so bitterly disgusting and so insulting that it has ruined this player's experience entirely. Any subsequent play throughs will be halted before the final 10 minutes take place. It really is that insulting.
  51. Mar 15, 2012
    The train-wreck of an ending combined with the single-player storyline results depending (somewhat) on multiplayer participation make this - easily imo - the worst BioWare game I have ever played. I've been playing BioWare games on my PC for nearly 15 years, and have never been so disappointed. Combined with the Day One $10 DLC and the company's accompanying lies, I'll be thinking hardThe train-wreck of an ending combined with the single-player storyline results depending (somewhat) on multiplayer participation make this - easily imo - the worst BioWare game I have ever played. I've been playing BioWare games on my PC for nearly 15 years, and have never been so disappointed. Combined with the Day One $10 DLC and the company's accompanying lies, I'll be thinking hard before ever buying another one of their games. (For those not aware, BioWare stated that the "From Ashes" DLC was developed after the game was finished and in QA. Players poking around in the data files on the game disks have since found a bunch of the DLC-related models and voice-overs.)

Edit:
    With all the speculation regarding the endings pretty much done due to BioWare's recent statements, I'm revising my review downward. This is the ending the company wanted, and this is the ending we need to accept. So ME3 now gets a 1/10 from me. If they do something about it at some point, I may revisit the score. But as of now, I'll never be buying another EA title again.
  52. Apr 26, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an average game.

Is it fun, yeah, in the same way that most other games where the story doesn't matter is fun. That is where ME3 fails. The story. Guess what every choice you made in mass effect #1 #2 and #3 don't matter. You get the same ending as everyone else. With no closure. Let it be perfectly clear, your choices mean absolutely nothing. If someone died in a
    Mass Effect 3 is an average game.

Let it be perfectly clear, your choices mean absolutely nothing. If someone died in a previous game, someone who is basically that person only a stunt double shows up and says basically the same thing and does the same thing.

Does having geth as allies matter over krogen? No it doesnt. You dont ever fight beside your allies, the they only show up in a single cutscene. How many endings are there? Just 1 regardless of what people tell you, all 3 endings are 99% the same, as regardless of the choices you make, the exact same things happen. The game plays just like all other bioware games, where they are a series of short stories tied to a larger story, but the short stories have no effect on any other the other stories in the book, or the larger story of the book.

Do i recommend the game. For a budget purchase, yeah, you will get some fun out of it. If you can put aside the weak story and terrible ending. The game lacks that something that shows up when a developer really cares about their product. Take the witcher 2 for example. The witcher 2 is a better game in every area when compared to ME3. Bioware should be ashamed, their game comes off soulless when compared to TW2.
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    Disappointing, derivative and convoluted. BioWare tries to make things deep and emotional but with their Bayesque approach to storytelling it just ends up utterly pretentious. You'd expect better from the supposed masters of interactive storytelling. Speaking of interacting there is barely room for it in Mass Effect 3's dialogue system. With the cinematic presentation taken too far youDisappointing, derivative and convoluted. BioWare tries to make things deep and emotional but with their Bayesque approach to storytelling it just ends up utterly pretentious. You'd expect better from the supposed masters of interactive storytelling. Speaking of interacting there is barely room for it in Mass Effect 3's dialogue system. With the cinematic presentation taken too far you will be watching Shepard go on and on without any form of player input almost as if you were really at the cinema. While the generic shoot and stop gameplay isn't necessarily bad it doesn't begin to make up for the rancid conclusion of this maudlin space opera.

Do yourself a favor and play Deus Ex instead.
  54. Mar 7, 2012
    EA treats players like retards, while they are the biggest one, and should be taken care of. They may be thinking that they are in such comfortable and stable position that no matter what they say wont have any effect on whatever they do. Wrong! Players remember and don't forget.
  55. Mar 10, 2012
    Honestly it's a fantastic game til the final 20 mins. The ending of this trilogy doesn't end with Shephard's combat or wit, but with a long cutscene that renders all previous decisions you made in the trilogy moot. The End is what bothers most of the gamers. It's out of character for Shephard, is confusing and is always "bad" regardless of how well you play the game. Basically skipHonestly it's a fantastic game til the final 20 mins. The ending of this trilogy doesn't end with Shephard's combat or wit, but with a long cutscene that renders all previous decisions you made in the trilogy moot. The End is what bothers most of the gamers. It's out of character for Shephard, is confusing and is always "bad" regardless of how well you play the game. Basically skip side quests and such you get the Worst Ending, do the most you get a Bad Ending.

Gameplay wise it plays similar to ME2. Combat is essentially the same, with the addition of slightly better melee capabilities. They aren't really that good even if you spec for doing melee, simply too many enemies are far to dangerous to get close to. In addition, muliplayer, despite Bioware's assurances, is REQUIRED to improve your ability to get a Not-As-Bad Ending. This may put off some who will feel that a single player rpg shouldn't be reliant on multiplayer. This time around there are no character driven side quests unfortunately. In ME2 the point was to gain loyalty, yet here there could have been SOME reason to help someone do something. Overall, the game feels rushed and is a very unsatisfying end to what was otherwise an outstanding trilogy. 5/10
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    Well. Mass effect started great. We all know how good the first mass effect was and how much fun we all had playing it. Mass effect 2 went down hill big time but it was still playable, still fun. Not nearly as good as the first game but we let it go since we were just happy to have a sequel of the game we love. Mass effect 3. Well. I'm not sure what to say about this game. How? how couldWell. Mass effect started great. We all know how good the first mass effect was and how much fun we all had playing it. Mass effect 2 went down hill big time but it was still playable, still fun. Not nearly as good as the first game but we let it go since we were just happy to have a sequel of the game we love. Mass effect 3. Well. I'm not sure what to say about this game. How? how could they mess this series up this much? Where did they go wrong and why? I could list the reasons but I won't since I only have 5000 characters to write this review. So I will make it short and sweet. Bioware stopped loving their games. That's all. They have become less interested in making games that are actually good and more interested in selling games to the mindless masses so that they can make more money. Simple really. Look at their latest games and tell me i'm wrong. Expand
  57. Mar 6, 2012
    I registered just to warn people away from this game.

I registered just to warn people away from this game.

The dialogue is on auto-pilot, the new characters are terrible, and your old decisions don't matter. There are plot holes so huge in places it feels like Bioware never PLAYED the first two games. It's painfully obvious that the development time spent on a (terrible) multi-player mode that no one wanted, in addition to the story/action mode options, really hurt the game in other areas.

ME 1&2 did something really, really well. ME3 tried to do that and like six other things, and given another few years might have been able to. As it stands, though, it failed at all of them.
  58. Mar 7, 2012
    I registered to metacritic just to rate this piece of trash. Bioware is officially dead and buried to me and I am not buying anything from that company ever again. Signs of Bioware going down the drain were there but I refused to believe it, wanted to give them a chance after massive failure that was DA2. People can't even inform themselves about the game, is it any good or what becauseI registered to metacritic just to rate this piece of trash. Bioware is officially dead and buried to me and I am not buying anything from that company ever again. Signs of Bioware going down the drain were there but I refused to believe it, wanted to give them a chance after massive failure that was DA2. People can't even inform themselves about the game, is it any good or what because the internet is full of paid off reviews. In short, the game story is terrible and full of holes. Animations are ridiculous and dialogues are dumber than in DA2, complete travesty compared to ME1. Expand
  59. Mar 9, 2012
    I've register there to say: I'm finished ME1 and 2 several times and I still a big fan of them but this game is really sucks. Ending messed up everything. I just finished a game and I'm in shock... For me - this game equals to Dragon Age 2. both of them - **** Bioware, what's happening to you!?
  60. Mar 14, 2012
    Origin, content removed to make gamers pay even more from the game, multiplayer that affects your single player ending, absolutely **** ending. This game is the poster boy of how EA has sunk the mighty Bioware.

Wait until you get a 90% discount if you want to finish the trilogy. Avoid like the plague otherwise.
  61. Mar 8, 2012
    A shining example of what a terrible job Bioware does when porting console games to PC. Space bar is used to do four functions, the fov is terrible making it hard to explore the game environment and the textures are a lower quality than the ones in Mass Effect 2.
  62. Mar 16, 2012
    I was expecting a game superior to Mass Effect 2. I really liked how doing the loyalty missions and side-quests impacted the final showdown. The ending unfortunately looked like it suffered from the developer running out of time/money/ideas. I'm noticing that every time you add a gimmick (aka multiplayer), you have to sacrifice something.
  63. Mar 14, 2012
    i would give it a 9 but after experiencing the last 2 hours of the game, this game is just big dissapointment, the ending just ver bad, worse than skyrim, and war asset dont do anything except the ending, not even affect the final battle just ending, very bad bioware very bad
  64. Mar 7, 2012
    Strike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leakedStrike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leaked script and videos. "Yo dawg we made synthetics to kill organics, so organics wouldn't create synthetics to kill organics!" It's painfully obvious that the writing talent that made the first game so compelling is no longer involved. Maybe Bioware should think about hiring writers who, ya know, actually enjoy playing the games too. EA/Bioware, you have broken my heart for the last time. Multiplayer and Day 1 DLC I could *just* about have lived with, but the lack of choices carried over, and the contrived, lazy endings are a step too far. I will not be giving my hard earned money to you ever again. Fortunately I played a friend's copy of ME3 and can get my online version refunded (thanks Origin 14 day return policy!). Oh yeah, don't even bother pirating. Expand
  65. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 0, zero, cero, nada. It's an utter failure of a game and a disgrace for the franchise that had already went down with the second game.

That's what this game deserves. Why? Because it's a scam provided by EA and Bioware, they promised something, closure, an ending that would wrap up everything and they delivered nothing. This is simply put another Dragon Age 2 scam. Do not waste your money in this piece of crap, save it for companies that actually deliver what they promise and that have good policies towards their customers.

The animations are exceptionally terrible. The story is obviously developed by a game company, which is why it's so very badly written. They repeated the same mistake from Dragon age 2, they firmly believe that killing important characters creates a good story, which is what awful writers do in a pathetic attempt to cause an emotion. What they won't understand is that the emotion is negative and people don't pay money to feel bad.

The endings discourages the player from even finishing the game, they're so bad and makes so little sense that my friends simply stopped playing the game.

Two critical issues on their writing and design is that they seem to think that Godmodding and metagaming are valid tools for crafting a story, just like the huge amount of clichés that are present.

They also blatantly copied the ending from Deus ex, itâ
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    this game is bad there is not good thing?? ok maybe there is no wait there not lol ok wait....nope i cant do it maybe you can??? it has guns...ok.... uhm you shoot aliens wtf?? this isnt reelstic at all...cod is better...
  67. Mar 7, 2012
    Jesus, this game is such a total letdown. Glad me and my friends bought only one copy to try it out. The graphics is dated and badly made. Low res textures. Bad animations. Music - I guess it depends on your style, but for me it was below average. The gameplay was retarded at best. Press space to do this, press space to do that. God I have more then one button on my keyboard for christsJesus, this game is such a total letdown. Glad me and my friends bought only one copy to try it out. The graphics is dated and badly made. Low res textures. Bad animations. Music - I guess it depends on your style, but for me it was below average. The gameplay was retarded at best. Press space to do this, press space to do that. God I have more then one button on my keyboard for christs sake. You can only do things in specific moments and then you have to press space, so no reason to press space otherwise. It is more of an interactive movie then a game. Story - Jeebez how retarded incapable and completely fantasy-retarded do you have to be to write this drivel. Every self respecting author would jump off the bridge before he would write something like this. Generally, the only thing you see is that if you pay the official reviewers, they will give you a high score. That is it. I am so so extremely sorry this game I awaited with such high expectations underperformed in every possible way. Please save yourselves the trouble and do not buy it. There are better games, Deus Ex for one or even the previous MEs. Expand
  68. Mar 7, 2012
    I'am a big fan of Mass Effect and my femshep specifically. But... I HATE THIS GAME. Femshep can not die! Can not! I love her. Femshep is meaning of my life. Bioware kills her... Time to die. Goodbye everyone. I always hate my life and love femshep. Please remember that.
  69. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Being a huge Mass Effect fan, I can safely say I am disappointed at the "final" of the trilogy. The first game was practically a new genre, a new step in video games that gave a sense of awe, the second game followed this and near matched the sense of awe and continued the genre breaking gameplay but the third game almost takes a step back from the action-roleplay and becomes more 'Gears of War' by focusing on combat, with pretty much all new mechanics revolving around improving the combat system. A step backwards with an action-roleplaying game, the previous games were fantastic and this game broke the trend. The awe inspiring is still here in this game however, when the Victory fleet flew through the mass relay and the final space battle began I was in awe there is no doubt about it, when I talk to all the characters I have bonded with over the previous games, it brought tears to my eyes, it was almost poetic but then my emotions turn to confusion and anger at the finally of the game. We were promised vastly different endings, there would be no A, B, C options and that your choices mattered but in the end, you get 3 options to end the game with no matter of the choices you have made in the previous games, no matter how high your War Assets were (which was a silly mechanic). It really comes down to what is your favourite colour? Blue, Green or Red which is what the 3 endings are, the same ending in different colours, so in reality there is only 1 ending that has filters put over it and tweaked. Even at the end of this sillyness, there is no closure to all those relationships you have developed, you never know if Garrus retired some place tropical or if Tali built her house on Rannoch or if Liara had little blue children. I don't mind Shepard dying, a bittersweet ending can be good if executed properly, this was not executed properly and it fails for it. As we had learned before, the destruction of a mass relay causes a supernova like explosion and destroys a whole system so you have just destroyed practically all life in the galaxy which is worse than the reapers. Even putting that aside, the destruction of the mass relays means everyone is stranded where they where, including the Victory fleet which will now starve to death. Joker fleeing the battle for no reason, it just doesn't make sense.

Now apart from the endings, there is a lot of other discouraging things to be mentioned. A day 1 DLC that "was developed by a different team after the main game was finished" yet if you change 1 line of code on the game files, you can get the Prothean on your game without the DLC. A DLC that costs $10.00 for the most interesting character and one of the best guns in the game. The reveal of Tali's face, being a slightly edited stockphoto from google images. Reputation having no physical effect on the game apart from the terminator look, going so far of having to do renegade actions to save your own life? Wat. Even if Bioware was to release a new DLC for a different ending which I highly doubt, why do they need to release a new ending, it should have been on the disk, it should not have sucked so badly that it has distressed the whole of the mass effect community and destroyed the metacritic score for it. I'll be even more amazed if they make you pay for it. I however don't see why people are complaining there is multiplayer, it is a great thing to play with your friends every now and then and it adds more value to your money however integrating multiplayer into singleplayer and forcing you to play it so you can get the 'best' ending in the singleplayer is just pathetic and whoever organized that should lose their job.

So yeah, the journey was still interesting and thrilling at times but the destination and cheap cashing in's just ruined everything that we had been working up to.
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    How such unoriginality and blatant cliches and overused plot devices, including the incredibly anti-climatic ending is somehow praised by critics as the "epitome of storytelling" is beyond me. Mass Effect 3 is the last, dying breath of a once great developer, who seem much too keen on sealing their own fate.
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    A horrible disappointment, using every trick in the book to steal money from its consumers, forcing them to buy tie-ins and dlc if they want a complete experience.
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    Exact same garbage as it's always been; nothing's changed. A perfect example of what's terrible about video games over the last few years, it's nothing more than a medium for terrible companies like EA and BioWare to extort stupid people by releasing the exact same piece of trash every once in a while with none of the improvements suggested by their fans. Crap graphics, crap animation,Exact same garbage as it's always been; nothing's changed. A perfect example of what's terrible about video games over the last few years, it's nothing more than a medium for terrible companies like EA and BioWare to extort stupid people by releasing the exact same piece of trash every once in a while with none of the improvements suggested by their fans. Crap graphics, crap animation, awful storytelling and characters, and don't even get me started on Origin. That **** should be illegal. Expand
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Do not buy this game. It is an unfinished product - this much is clear from the substandard animations and hackneyed plotlines. Poor writing, offensive stereotypes about gay and lesbian romance, a dumbed-down, intentionally obfuscated interface - you could write a brief novel on the things that have gone terribly wrong. And it's a shame, because Mass Effect is such a great IP. If you wantDo not buy this game. It is an unfinished product - this much is clear from the substandard animations and hackneyed plotlines. Poor writing, offensive stereotypes about gay and lesbian romance, a dumbed-down, intentionally obfuscated interface - you could write a brief novel on the things that have gone terribly wrong. And it's a shame, because Mass Effect is such a great IP. If you want to get the story, I recommend watching a good Let's Play - because Bioware clearly doesn't deserve US$80 for this deeply broken, incomplete game. Expand
  74. Mar 6, 2012
    Compared to the previous title which I considered to be a great game, the quality control for Mass Effect 3 is just disgusting, theres evidence already abound of using stock photos for major plot handles, pre-release DLC, decisions made in previous games making no impact, unable to import characters from previous games, a drop in animation quality aswell and visuals and general storyCompared to the previous title which I considered to be a great game, the quality control for Mass Effect 3 is just disgusting, theres evidence already abound of using stock photos for major plot handles, pre-release DLC, decisions made in previous games making no impact, unable to import characters from previous games, a drop in animation quality aswell and visuals and general story telling. There is nothing improved in this game and a giant disappointment for the conclusion of what was a great series.

Even if you look passed the mountain of flaws, it's not even fun in terms of gameplay, you have one button that performs all actions which is incredibly frustrating in the middle of gun-fights, reloading has almost been removed entirely and has been dumbed down to using cover and little more. You can defeat most areas in the game by using nothing but left mouse, moving only to advance and nothing more.

This shouldn't be acceptable as a completed and retailed game.
  75. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 does not live up to the hype, at all. First of all, almost no graphics options. I mean what the hell? Just porting from console is so frigging lazy it makes me sick. Look at Remedy, they did it right with Alan Wake. The textures on some stuff in this game is absolutely hideous. The animations are bad (males walk really weird in this game ++). Some of the explosions and gunMass Effect 3 does not live up to the hype, at all. First of all, almost no graphics options. I mean what the hell? Just porting from console is so frigging lazy it makes me sick. Look at Remedy, they did it right with Alan Wake. The textures on some stuff in this game is absolutely hideous. The animations are bad (males walk really weird in this game ++). Some of the explosions and gun effects are really low quality. Then there is the FOV in this game, it reminds me of Resident Evil 5. Why can't you adjust ANYTHING in this game? Oh yeah, I forgot... it's a really bad console port. Also you have to use the space bar for absolutely EVERYTHING. On the plus side it has some great voice acting, interesting characters and locations. Not enough to make it worth my money though. Sadly. The last Bioware game I bought was Dragon Age 2, and yeah, I was very disappointed then as well. I hoped they would redeem themselves with this game, but I was unfortunately wrong. This is the last game I will buy from Bioware, and I can't recommend buying this game to others. If you want to play it, rent it, or buy it used on console. Expand
  76. Mar 8, 2012
    I played the first 2 games and was told that the ending would be really bad so not to have high expectations going in. I lowered my expectations to the floor and really enjoyed the gameplay. Then, at the end I totally regretted ever playing this series. The ending is by far the worst ever and then on top of that, the post credit cut scene is an even bigger slap in the face. Never againI played the first 2 games and was told that the ending would be really bad so not to have high expectations going in. I lowered my expectations to the floor and really enjoyed the gameplay. Then, at the end I totally regretted ever playing this series. The ending is by far the worst ever and then on top of that, the post credit cut scene is an even bigger slap in the face. Never again Bioware. Never again. Expand
  77. Mar 18, 2012
    The game is technically and script/story wise incomplete. Many plot holes, inconsistencies with prequels, odd side missions and even "anime" style character. Playthrough comparing to prequels is different and boring. Day 1 DLC of very important character considering prequels and lore, otherwise not present in the game but found by players on disk and activated by them without any downloadThe game is technically and script/story wise incomplete. Many plot holes, inconsistencies with prequels, odd side missions and even "anime" style character. Playthrough comparing to prequels is different and boring. Day 1 DLC of very important character considering prequels and lore, otherwise not present in the game but found by players on disk and activated by them without any download so what kind of DLC is that good question. Graphics are medium, Mass Effect 2 has better graphics, porting from consoles almost 1 to 1 without use of PC technical superiority, not even keyboard. A lot of things binding to "space" and you cant change it. Controls taken away from player in terms of less movement/view possibilities such as holstering for example. Much less dialogue choices but much more cutscenes without any choices. Bug of importing characters from prequels and even if imported not look same, only remotely similar. Game have good combat mechanics and very good sound/voices. Positioned as RPG/Action in advertisement. Third person Shooter with few RPG style dialogues and a lot of cutscenes in reality. Replay value hangs on very low to none. Expand
  78. Mar 12, 2012
    This game completely destroys the franchise and trust in Bioware with the ending. They took the lazy way out and had an ending with no closure and with none of your previous decisions from the last 5 years and 3 games having any influence at all. The last few minutes of the game make me feel like I wasted my time and energy playing these games.
  79. Mar 16, 2012
    Breaks cannon, massive plot holes, incomplete game. While this is the final chapter in one of my most cherished series, there is very little that remains after a botched ending that can be considered good.
  80. Mar 17, 2012
    Every iteration of Mass Effect BIoware seem to actively looking to "simplfy gameplay". From the herady heights of Baldurs Gate 14 years ago - to this generic simpletons game "Gears of War Lite". In another 20 years Bioware will be releasing a stunning graphical representation of Pong - and still having the nerve to call it an RPG. There is so little to Mass Effect 3 - gameplay wise I wouldEvery iteration of Mass Effect BIoware seem to actively looking to "simplfy gameplay". From the herady heights of Baldurs Gate 14 years ago - to this generic simpletons game "Gears of War Lite". In another 20 years Bioware will be releasing a stunning graphical representation of Pong - and still having the nerve to call it an RPG. There is so little to Mass Effect 3 - gameplay wise I would rather spend my time on one of those free Java game sites. Rubbish - and made all the worse by the fact it bears the name of the once mighty Bioware - Along with the generic and shallow "Star Wars t OR" this game goes straight to the back of my games cupboard, to be tossed out when the day comes that I don't wince at the waste of £35 Expand
  81. Mar 7, 2012
    Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring,Loved Mass Effect 1 and 2, this is a linear piece of **** I find myself watching TV in the background simply to keep myself somewhat entertained. Characters lack emotion, and don't have the same feeling in the previous games. Bioware pretends that the criticism is purely hate, when by looking at the negative reviews, this is clearly not true. Dialogue options are simplified and boring, combat is about the same, hardly any improvements, and explore-able environments have completely disappeared. This game is a giant joke. Personally, I'm pretending that Mass Effect 1 and 2 are true to the series, and 3 never happened. This is what the Crystal Skull movie did to the Indiana Jones series, it raped it. Expand
  82. Mar 7, 2012
    This is a terrible letdown. One of the greatest dissapointments in my history with video games. Gameplay is solid, but for ruining the game with plot holes and idiotic ending, I give it a zero. Not to mention the Day 1 DLC. This is the last thing I bought coming from Bioware.
  83. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With stunning cinematic displays, horribly dumbed down gameplay and the ability for gay luvinz, you might think this title a shoe in for GotY. Unfortunately the story feels like your on rails with only 1 or 2 side missions popping up between main story plot points. If your bringing in a past love interest from ME1 or 2 I hope it's Kaiden, Ashley or Liara, Tali'Zora STAYS masked for all intents and purposes (search it and you'll find the photo is a stock model pic w/ lines drawn on it), Miranda's is ok, the rest are basically in there for bioware to say we did it without putting thought there. Most all of this I could forgive IF they had put ANY thought behind the ending. Controls are pretty smooth but due to almost every action being mapped to the spacebar you will find yourself rolling and taking cover alot instead of picking up that gun mod or looking at a datapad. they completely removed all minigames replacing it with cover your squad mate mechanics.

Voice acting is still good with few exceptions (femshep is the better actor again) Character models have changed for some, and not for others. Ashley looks like Miranda, Jacob got 10 yrs younger, Zaeed got a personal trainer and a ton of ink, and then there are 2 new people from the Jersey Shore aboard your ship, Tali also looks like Miranda in the picture she gives you.

Story premise was good until Shep crawled away from Anderson, when that happens turn off the game and just use your imagination to end it how you like. OR So you got the whole universe to work together, collected all the resources, followed paragon/renegade choices like a religion? you can look forward to the Exact same story ending as someone who rushed through the story and got squat (1 ending with 3 color differences) BTW Shep dies and your crew is stranded on a tropic island.

Character development - I shouldn't have to even go here due to the other games were building the characters we know and love, but alas they screwed this up too in ways I won't get into. in short Bioware and EA rushed this didn't get a full game out (Day 1 Paid DLC) made an action game that a 4 yo can play and a rpg story that makes no sense with an ending sure to piss off anyone who plays it.
  84. Mar 18, 2012
    Worst ending in the videogame history for the best trilogy in the videogame history. The last 10 minutes of Mass Effect 3 ruins the whole trilogy. I don't even want to play with ME1 or ME2 because of the ending of ME3, this is why I give a 0/10. Without the ending the game would be 10/10 for me.
  85. Mar 13, 2012
    One of the worst endings I've ever seen. To think that a masterpiece like the first Mass Effect has become this pile of excrement, it's heartbreaking.
  86. Mar 9, 2012
    Awful. EA makes me feel like a criminal. Origin is a PoS. DLC is an obnoxious cash grab. Immersion is ruined by broken game mechanics.

Looking forward to the remake/redux in 15-20 years.
  87. Mar 12, 2012
    There are so many things wrong with this game let me summarize them in a neat little list:

1. The ending, despite assurances from bioware that "It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C." that is exactly what the ending is, pick A, B, or C and in all three endings you destroy all the mass relays, everybody dies, and nothing you do has mattered. Source: http://www.oxm.co.uk/37677/mass-effect-3-citadel-is-bigger-than-ever-endings-will-be-more-sophisticated/

2. Nothing you did in the past two games matters. If you picked Anderson to be Councillor it doesn't matter they changed it, if you killed the Rachni queen it doesn't matter there's another one just for the hell of it, if you helped Cerberus at the end of Mass Effect 2 it doesn't matter you still have to fight them. Nothing you have done matters more than a few lines to admit that they know you wanted things to be different and they couldn't care less because this is their story not yours.

3. The gameplay is nothing special. Point your gun at people and shoot then take cover while your health comes back. This has been done before and better. The role playing aspect of the game is laughably simple. There is no merging of the story and the gameplay. The story is told in cutscenes where you can choose what shepard says but as I said before it seems no matter what you say the same things are going to happen.

4. Day one on disc DLC. They changed a single line of code to lock out paying customers from the prothean companion which was meant to be included in the game. There is no excuse for this blatantly greedy money grab that insults all of their fans.

5. Multiplayer effects singleplayer. Games today all want to tack on some multiplayer component in order to boost sales or something stupid like that. But the multiplayer effects how well your forces do in the end and if you want the 'best' end which is still the same ending with a different color laser beam you have to play the multiplayer which has huge amounts of DLC if you want to win. Oh and if you join the wrong server you'll get banned from both multiplayer and single player though no fault of your own.

Aside from the story, gameplay, animation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDpQn5EOre8, bioware and EA have responded to fan criticism with nothing but snide remarks and apathy banning anybody who insults their precious masterpiece. This company thinks they're above their fans. Do not buy Mass Effect 3, do not get Origin, this is the final nail in the coffin of Bioware.
  88. Mar 19, 2012
    Gave it 0 not just because the ending dismantles the whole third part of the franchise, but effectively renders vain and misguided the previous 2 installments. None of the choices matter, none of the endings are accurate and follow the established lore and rules of the game universe.
  89. i59
    Mar 6, 2012
    Along with most other EA franchises, Mass Effect has been utterly raped by idiotic decisions i.e. having to pay to get better endings, not being on Steam etc.
  90. Apr 15, 2012
    Annoying. Bought this off the back of a lot of favourable reviews. Are there any actual reviewers who arent in bed with ea ? The graphics are fine but the writing and some of the gameplay are truly awful. Worst game in the series but on the upside i learned something
  91. Mar 27, 2012
    A series with great potential ruined by a terrible ending that makes you wonder how was it approved to be in a game. It truly baffles me why the writers gave us this ending which is full of plot holes and has no closure whatsoever. It also offers no choice other than choosing the colour of the big explosion in the end, even though the developers promised before the game's release that theA series with great potential ruined by a terrible ending that makes you wonder how was it approved to be in a game. It truly baffles me why the writers gave us this ending which is full of plot holes and has no closure whatsoever. It also offers no choice other than choosing the colour of the big explosion in the end, even though the developers promised before the game's release that the game would offer many different and distinct endings. It's truly a shame to see a great company like bioware become nothing but liars and incompetent of creating a decent video game in years. Dragon Age 2, Star Wars The Old Republic and now Mass Effect 3. It's sad to say but the old good bioware is dead, gone forever. Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    Its no secret this game failed expectations for all fans, sadly this is that terrible excuse of a writer
    who wrote M.I.T.H. (wont say her name or nickname to keep band-wagoners off) terrible terrible writing
    as a business owner id fire this employee immediately i want to be successful and dropping a load to make a load of cash is necessary to me, the fact this writer wants to represent homosexual is beyond me
    nobody has asked for this, thinking they need any representation in video games is completely asinine and immature, but apart from that making DLC which is very important to the lore and day one which means if you want to know something that should be included in the game already you got to fork over money to see it, think if a movie at the theaters made you pay another ticket just to see deleted scenes and another ending would be outraging this how we feel, bioware drop the poor writers its for your own good i know good writing i frequent 9gag daily. in my opinion remake ME3 and make it good
  93. Mar 6, 2012
    to me the graphics its not that good when i look to naughty dog masterpiece uncharted3 mass effect looks very bad!!! i hate the story its very predictable ..its very disappointed..i preordered it a year ago i thought it gonna be like mass effect 2 but its not..bioware can do better..i think mass effect is the worst of the series. thank you bioware for ruined it lets hope we hear abotto me the graphics its not that good when i look to naughty dog masterpiece uncharted3 mass effect looks very bad!!! i hate the story its very predictable ..its very disappointed..i preordered it a year ago i thought it gonna be like mass effect 2 but its not..bioware can do better..i think mass effect is the worst of the series. thank you bioware for ruined it lets hope we hear abot dragon age 4 soon . Expand
  94. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You can see two sides to this game. First, its a sequel to the Mass effect series, in witch if youre a fan played Mass effect 1 and 2. The second, that this game is trying to be marketed to a wider player market. while that is not the main concern here, it did lead to some design views,
    There is a lot of things to say about this game, some are good, most are bad. Fistly the thing that will put off fans of the series is the side quest structure, its seems that most of them you get from lisening to conversations, with no animated conversations scenes with the player. This makes the side quest just a fetch chores, without giving any emotional meaning to the player. Then theres the "support" task, witch is basicly suport one of the two views of the arguing characters. This is again done without a scene with coversation, you just come over, press space and then give a one liner, witch covinces them. It is impersonal, it doenst give any emotional tension or even feeling like a real choise. What I liked is the reapearance of the older side quest characters of the series. While they feel a bit overused. Almost in every side quest dialogue sene you can meet them, sometimes it works, sometimes its more like: oh its me, you helped me with that thing remember?. This is sometimes more like an anoyance, and i woudnt have mind if there where other new characters.
    The more well crafted characters are worth the time. Some again strike a more personal note, others are just there, and you dont much care for them. A little thing that bugged me was the dialogues of the main characters and squad mates, theyre timing seemed to be off. I really cant explained it but it felt like the actors wherent the with one another or didint get the sense of the scene or the suspence wich woud have created emotional, scared, angry reactions. The pauses between dialoged semed to long, as if it wanted to give dramatic tension, but only felt like the voiceover actors forgot the line. The fell of the citadel and the spaceship (Noramdy) are off. I did like the progresion of Citadel spaces. as the war progresed, they got damaged and more full of refuges and so on. The think that felt off is the design of the areas. They are quite small, combine that with the broken sidequest and you have an area that you go not to explore or get the feel of the game world, but get it get out, nothing more there. The Normandy itself was made in a line of checks. Finish a mission, get a dialogue witch a holovid character, leave to teh war room, go true a conference table witch was used only once, get true a chech of security withc was pointles, and let the personal assisance tell there more mesages. I this you feel boxed in as if these things had to be done that the player woudn miss anything (the expliration hating player forced walk ? ). While the ship is stocked with a new crew theres nothing much to do with these generic npcs. The dialogue isnt rememberable and i didnt care much for them, they are just there. Combat: the shooting mechanics are similar to the Mass effect 2 game. While in the last game the combat was overal a pleasant experience, here we have a cover porblem, enemys feeling very generic after a while, no heavy weapons. The fought enemies also left much to be desired, we get cerberus units (heavys, engineers, a few snipers, ninjas with swords) , and reaper indoctrinated species (human-melee, turian- ranged, canibal-heavy? then assary biotic power user and another heavy charger). We do get to fight some geth in the quarian missions. The main storyline: Mixed feelings about it too. the sotryline seems a lot more linear. You cant really choose what to do first. You go to mars, the turians, then the krogans. This felt a break from the past game freedom experiences, witch to me meant a lot. Parts of it was great, the quarian missions, getting the artifact from the assari home world. Coincidently these too missions are put on the table at the same time, and you coud choose witch to do first witch was a nice free feel to the exploration and getting support. So mostly youll spend youre time helping races, for theyre support in the war and this works for the story. It all goes to hell in the ending. It woud take a seperate article if we where to discus whats wrong with it. A few quick points: The plan doesnt make sense, you dont get any feeling that youre in a larger battle, the radio conversations that the other units have are emotionless, doenst contribute at all. the whole battle culmination is you with 2 other squad memebers just surviving an atack then launching misisles, after that a desperate run to the citadel by the tranportation beam (dont ask). the whole last part is emty of any feeling or emotion, and the bets parts are shown in cinamit moevies, witch you dont feel a part off. Characters ending. Last question: is it worth youre money? 50 euros? NO. You will play it if youre a fan, but it is not worth it...
  95. Mar 7, 2012
    Why the hell in gamespot showing only critics review first ? and don't show score by gamers? because waiting when all buy EA **** game and then show real score by gamers, don't be fooled by this trick, because its easy to buy critics, with money you can buy almost everything and you think you can't buy some nerd who write review ? the only true score you wil see from Gamers we know if youWhy the hell in gamespot showing only critics review first ? and don't show score by gamers? because waiting when all buy EA **** game and then show real score by gamers, don't be fooled by this trick, because its easy to buy critics, with money you can buy almost everything and you think you can't buy some nerd who write review ? the only true score you wil see from Gamers we know if you want good game need to have good reviews these days, the only company who respect now is Valve, i think all DLC for free and free best their games, amazing games like Portal 2 for half normal EA Prices, and THIS ? 60$ for unfinished game ? EA just want your money they don't give a **** about good games and fans, look at the Sims 3 eating money from kids, release half game for 50$ and eating money from rest half game in DLCS who worth 500$ **** **** Expand
  96. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Contains spoilers. Don't open if you want to buy the game. I'm sorry, but I'll be adding to really bad score part of players. To start, I have to say that I'm a 22 year old man and played ME 1,2 and 3 with Female Shepard. This review is written after 5 hours of gametime. Even when the demo was released, I looked at it and said, hey, this is just way too easy. Another thing that pissed me off was when even though I was playing as an infiltrator, I didn't get my sniper rifle!! Why?! It's demoverzion! Yesterday, after I finished ME2 after 14 straight hours of playing - for the knitpickers, the game was nearly over, I was just finishing side missions, the first thing that pissed me off was that ME3 couldn't import my beautiful FemShep face! That was just the beginning. Why, why in the seven hells is she whining about Kaidan? Yep, I dated him in ME1, but than I spent 2 years dead, he behaved like an idiot and the character shouldn't give a damn about him. But no, even though I romanced Garrus - hell yeah, I', the pioneer of the interracial sex - he doesn't give a flying **** that he sees me. And this only goes on an on. They took a lot of time to finish this game, and indeed, they screwed the game and the players both kingly and thoroughly. The Mass effect trilogy for me is ME 1+DLC/ ME2/ME2 DLC. Then Shepard with her crew went to the Reaper' part of the universe and kicked the **** out of Reapers. Too bad than someone didn't do a decent game about it - It would have been amazing. Expand
  97. Mar 7, 2012
    Can you say paid reviews? This game is a massive disappointment. I won't even get started on the ridiculous day-one DLC, but let me say that that alone is a reason to not support this company. When it comes to the actual game though, there is nothing new with this game. The game is dumbed down along the likes of Dragon Age 2, and I can't say that there are any redeeming qualities aboutCan you say paid reviews? This game is a massive disappointment. I won't even get started on the ridiculous day-one DLC, but let me say that that alone is a reason to not support this company. When it comes to the actual game though, there is nothing new with this game. The game is dumbed down along the likes of Dragon Age 2, and I can't say that there are any redeeming qualities about it. The dialogue and story is sub par. What happened to the customization that was available in the first Mass Effect? Because I sure don't see it here. It's obvious that they didn't put any effort into any part of this game. They only wanted to milk their cash cow even more. Not worth the buy. Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    1 - Orgin is ....
    2 - The end ... what ?

Seriously Bioware. You had no other idea ? The development of SWTOR monopolize all your dev teams ? Very good SF series with bad ending.
  99. Mar 9, 2012
    I had to sign up just to review this game. This was such a huge disappointment. I love Mass Effect and have put countless hours into the first 2 games and I was so excited for Mass Effect 3. I had multiple Shepards ready to go but after the terrible ending I doubt I'll be importing them. I don't even want to replay the first two games anymore. The game was wonderful right up till the end,I had to sign up just to review this game. This was such a huge disappointment. I love Mass Effect and have put countless hours into the first 2 games and I was so excited for Mass Effect 3. I had multiple Shepards ready to go but after the terrible ending I doubt I'll be importing them. I don't even want to replay the first two games anymore. The game was wonderful right up till the end, if it hadn't been for those horrible endings I would have given this game a much higher score. The combat was great, the story up till then was great, the relationship between Shepard and squadmates was great, it was a terrific game. Then the endings ruined it and made you feel like all the choices you made really didn't matter after all. They were bleak and depressing, didn't really even make sense, and left many more questions than answers. And everyone gets to choose from the same three terrible endings no matter what choices you made throughout the three games. It was just depressing. Shepards story deserved a much better ending than this. Expand
  100. Mar 10, 2012
    Finished the single player campaign last night and also played the multi-player for several hours.

Problems I had with the game: The time skip is confusing, even to people who played ME1 & 2. Seems like a lot of plot development off-screen that is never explained, like why does everyone hate Shepard at the beginning of the game? Has no real impact in the ME3 story arc but alienates and

Problems I had with the game:
    The time skip is confusing, even to people who played ME1 & 2. Seems like a lot of plot development off-screen that is never explained, like why does everyone hate Shepard at the beginning of the game? Has no real impact in the ME3 story arc but alienates and confuses players who, like me, played ME1 and 2, or just picked up ME3 to start with. For example, I wasn't aware there *was* a time skip until I was told by a character and that Shepard had "done stuff" to warrant his status on Earth at the beginning of the game. Even when you are told that its been 3 years you're like, "Okay...3 years from what?" I basically had to do research to even know that this was a time skip and not something entirely different. When your audience has to do external research to understand a major plot point, its a problem.

Some of the decisions you make in the game have real consequences, such as letting a villain go or deciding to donate resources. One kind of these decisions are actions in conversations which are indicated by mouse clicks. This adds depth to the interactive story, but some of the choices are poorly worded, such as being nice to a specific character or a stern tone to another, and suddenly your character enters a romantic relationship... Or you just killed a side character and the verbal clue was a vague and minor disagreement... Other times these decisions require split second reactions. This is fine, but since the last time you made a decision without deciphering its intent for 5 minutes killed a person, these "gut reactions" actually take away from the story more often than not. Basically you're afraid to react quickly because of consequences in other conversations and can't use the system as intended. However I place blame on vague writing and lack of context for your character's decisions.

The combat is decent, it has enough depth to satisfy most people and allows for wacky builds like a "powers only" character. Multi-player is okay but the only available mode is co-op survival, I was surprised that player versus player modes don't exist considering that the Gears of War franchise has shown 3rd person shooters can do so successfully for years. A little disappointing.

Most of the talk has been about the endings for the game. I tend to agree with what appears to be the consensus that the endings are disappointing and frustrating. Considering that an RPG, even an action RPG, is defined by its story, Mass Effect 3's ending does not deliver.

The game boils down to three main endings and two extra endings. The extra endings are one where everyone loses and one where Shepard chose to kill the Reapers but possibly survived. The main endings are one where Shepard kills the Reapers and dies, one where Shepard controls the Reapers but dies, and one where Shepard sacrifices himself to make everybody half-organic half-machine.

He is told these choices by a hologram, who, very poorly, explains why the Reapers have been committing genocides. In fact, the hologram seems ignorant of multiple events WITHIN THE GAME that contradict his logic and states assertions on the future without any justification. The worst part is that Shepard ACCEPTS THIS. In a game about INTERACTING with the story and causing MEANINGFUL changes to the plot because of it, the player cannot argue with the childish logic spouting from the hologram and has to make one of the holograms choices. All of the choices are deus ex machina, not to mention the plot hook itself to begin with, and the fact that the hologram is the Reaper's God... The ending almost appears to be the same quality as most fan-fiction, unintelligible, self-serving, and amateurish at best. I find it hard to believe that the same studio that released Planescape: Torment or the Baldur's Gate series could fudge an ending so badly, but then again I have heard unflattering remarks about the Dragon Age sequel from last year.

Conclusion: If you enjoy third person shooters with rpg elements but no story, its great. Otherwise, Mass Effect 3 suffers from a story that is an insult to intellectual thought. The main offenders are the plot holes, vague choices, caricatured personalities, and the awful ending.

In any other genre I would still rate this a 6/10, but since storytelling and character development is what defines every role playing game, then I cannot give that score. Since the gameplay deserves a score of 6 and the story deserves a 0, Mass Effect 3 earns a dismal 3/10.
  101. Mar 6, 2012
    I don't even know how to start this. Remember how they kept hyping the game from its story elements, the decision making replayability and how it'd influence the game? HAH. Your decisions barely change the way the game goes, especially towards the endings. Endings which are completely ripped off the original Deus Ex, too, and make no sense whatsoever in the game. I won't spoil you becauseI don't even know how to start this. Remember how they kept hyping the game from its story elements, the decision making replayability and how it'd influence the game? HAH. Your decisions barely change the way the game goes, especially towards the endings. Endings which are completely ripped off the original Deus Ex, too, and make no sense whatsoever in the game. I won't spoil you because I don't want to take the fun (see: disappointment) out of the game for you, if you haven't finished it yet, but let's just say that Commander Shepard is more of a character by itself now, instead of what it should be and was in the other games - You control him, he reflects what you think/do in the game, not play as him only and act like you're nothing but a spectator. And the amount of feelings the game tries to force on you will make you cringe rather than actually getting sad. All the drama it tries to get down your throat (most notably around the kid who appears in the first part of the game), the "decisions" you have to take which usually mean something gets saved while the other gets destroyed - that makes me go "oh no I have to choose what to save i cri evertim ;_;". It'd work if they wouldn't have done it so many times. The amount of plot holes in here make me want to scream "NURSE!" because of how big and many they are, and how many questions they let unanswered. And let me guess, fans will say "it's so you can come up with your own responses to it" - well, I wish I could've come up with different endings then, and it still proves that Bioware was lazy on the matter. They give you the illusion of free choice in the not as many interactions you take in dialogue, but it all ends up in the same. And in these fewer times you can choose what to say, there isn't much other than Paragon or Renegade. No neutral response? Why would you remove that? Now, don't get me wrong. The gameplay and graphics aren't bad. They're just ME2ish, bringing almost nothing new, but it's still enjoyable enough. Facial animations are subpar, and the characters have almost no emotional response to what happens (which contrasts with what the game is trying to do). Also, explosions everywhere. It's like we're back... in... MW3. Good lord how easy it is to compare ME2 and ME3 with MW2 and MW3 (because if you think about it, both MW3 and ME3 were made with their focus more on multiplayer, they have the same graphics, same gameplay as their previous games, and are cashins more than a proper game). Anyway, animations... Well, they aren't horrible (except the Anderson running animation on the first mission, holy hell it makes me laugh from how bad it is, and the Femshep running animation) but you could've expected better, even from Bioware. What irks me is that the most important parts of the game, the biggest selling points, its plot and how what you do influences the whole game (and series), are just... ruined. I can't think of a better word, and I wish I wouldn't find myself saying this, but I never had big expectations for this game and it still managed to break them, on the bad way. I'd say more, but I'd be spoiling the story to prove my points. 1/10 because it's not a HORRIBLE game... But it's close. Just my opinion. Collapse

1. Apr 11, 2012