5.3

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Extremely casualized and loaded with DLC that should have been released with the game. Gameplay is copy paste from the second game. Story is dull and cliche and seems to have more emphasis on romances than anything actually meaningful. As it was with Dragon Age, Bioware ruined another franchise that was off to an amazing start.
  2. Mar 7, 2012
    Wau, I see EA was finally successful at destroying Bioware. This game lacked so much, I dont even understand, it was so hollow and empty. What was done to characters is quite similar to dragon age 2. And again, ending just like in dragon age 2 is practically unchangeable. If ill be rating any other game from bioware in the future it wil be rated a lot better by me for reason that i wont beWau, I see EA was finally successful at destroying Bioware. This game lacked so much, I dont even understand, it was so hollow and empty. What was done to characters is quite similar to dragon age 2. And again, ending just like in dragon age 2 is practically unchangeable. If ill be rating any other game from bioware in the future it wil be rated a lot better by me for reason that i wont be using bioware quality standard because it isnt there anymore. Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    Got to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helpedGot to say i am very disappointed with this game, i dont know if its just me but the graphics have got worse the game mechanics are still clunky and unwieldy (despite that i still love ME2) the character writing has gotten extremely chicle... What the hell happened to Kotor/Jade empire bio ware that's what i want to know. Also this game being clearly developed for consoles has not helped it in the slightest Expand
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    Worst Ending Ever!

No Gamepad support!

Minimal RPG elements!

Low quality rendered cutscenes! Where are those photo-realistic CGIs???

EA Origin!

Enough said.

Terribly disappointed.
  5. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a bitter disappointment. I will do my best to briefly explain its flaws without spoiling anything.

1. Very little care was paid to the story. There are many nagging plot holes that will distract you throughout the game. Glaring logical flaws that have existed since Mass Effect 2 and even Mass Effect 1. More importantly, characters behave very erratically in this game, seldom true to their original characterization in the previous games. BioWare took the easy way out in most cases, killing off characters at obvious moment. The plot is predictable (I found myself calling out what would happen hours before it did) and the characters and concepts new to Mass Effect 3 are either ridiculous (Kai Leng, the future space ninja) to just shallow (James Vega, token mexican-american space marine). The endings, suffice to say, will leave you in shock with how lazy they were crafted.

BioWare did impress me with how it handled some of its lesser side characters though, I did not expect so many of them to return as cameos and not simply emails saying, "Hi, remember me?"

2. None of your choices impact much in ME3. If you played the previous games, you'll find ME3 a little easier to play with some difficult decisions removed (such as choosing one character or another to live), but overall very little changes depending upon your choices in the previous two games. Almost nothing changes based on your choices in ME3, which is a bit surprising. Not even your paragon/renegade status really seems to influence anything.

This is really wrenching. Major decisions like letting the Rachni living in the first game or not, have no bearing on the game's events in any meaningful manner. But also, deciding who you ally or help or not in ME3 really has no effect on the game's ending... or really much of anything.

3. This game is ugly. BioWare really outsourced its artwork this time. Facial animations and modeling are inferior to ME2. Many big game reveals (a picture of Tali's face) are stock photo touchups (and by that, I mean literally importing a stock photo into photoshop and putting a lens flare over it). Level design is not as creative as in the original ME. There are occasionally some good in-game environments (such as a certain vegetated piece of Tuchanka) but they are few and far between. In order save memory consumption, BW even had to remove the ability to holster your weapon in combat areas. This broke immersion for me, with my character always hunched over looking down the barrel of their gun.

Whoever designed Diana Allers' "dress" should be shot.

4. The voice acting in this game is tolerable, though there are some spotty moments (Wrex stands out at times).

5. The dialogue wheel is horribly dumbed down in this game - I was shocked. Immensely. There is always a "top" or "bottom" choice to pick (two choices) and every once in a while you'll get an 'investigate' option with 3-5 choices there, but less than 10% of the time do you ever get a "middle" option to pursue in dialogue. You're either paragon or renegade in this game, you can't walk the line through any situation. You're either on their side, or you're not.

6. The gunplay is a little improved. Some of the new abilities are interesting. However, level design has not been improved from ME2/Me1, I'd say it's gotten worse actually. A lot of corridors, people constantly shouting at you to keep moving -- you can't even stop to look around and enjoy the scenery you like, or even plan an approach to your enemy. Corridors and guns are pretty much all you can expect in this game.

I did enjoy the aspect of building up an army to fight the reapers though, and for a moment (towards the beginning of the game), I felt a little desperate as to whether I would be able to reach maximum army strength. I thought that the more time I dawdled on side missions, the less chance I would have at beating the game. But I shouldn't have been so silly - of course not. Why challenge the player?

7. The multiplayer is trashy and I don't understand why they wasted development time on it -- besides marketing purposes anyway.

8. The different difficulty selections are nice, but narrative is immersion breaking and insanity is pretty much 'dumb' in some instances of the game, where enemies zerg you.

9. The AI is atrocious. Many encounters in the game are made easy when enemies funnel in through drop points or doorways - you can't just stun them all with a Biotic spell. AI tend to just get behind something and shoot from it.

10. Not a single boss fight was designed well. They feel really tacked on and lame.
  6. Mar 17, 2012
    I Can't believe it.... i... i just can't.... I have stood for this game, through the hole launch periode, claiming that the ending would'nt matter to me if the game itself was great... But... but... The ending was seriously bad.. So bad that, It has destroyed the whole franchise for me.

But the game itself isn't bad, is just the ending..... IT'S HORRIBLE! There isnt really anything i can

But the game itself isn't bad, is just the ending..... IT'S HORRIBLE!

There isnt really anything i can say, that everybody allready has put out. I can only say that im a terribly sad Mass Effect fan and it will take time before i get over that piece of sh** ending(s). So 6 score points from me. It would have been 9 or even 10, but yeah.... wtf were you thinking Bioware ;.(
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    This really saddens me. I enjoyed the first Mass Effect greatly, it was one of the top games and one my personal GOTYs. But this is a travesty, it is nothing short of a joke, the punchline written by Hepler. SPOILER : The ending reveals it was all just a grandpa telling his grandson a story. How lazy do you have to be that you have to end a story with "It was all just a story."? I don'tThis really saddens me. I enjoyed the first Mass Effect greatly, it was one of the top games and one my personal GOTYs. But this is a travesty, it is nothing short of a joke, the punchline written by Hepler. SPOILER : The ending reveals it was all just a grandpa telling his grandson a story. How lazy do you have to be that you have to end a story with "It was all just a story."? I don't even understand how being hired through nepotism has helped Hepler maintain her position as a writer for bioware, this is the third game in a row that they have released with just horrid writing. You can disagree all you want, but why don't you go back and play Baldur's Gate and compare the writing of then to now. Admittely most of the reviews are probably trolls, the positive ones at least. Fans in denial that their perfect company could ever have a flaw, who likely haven't even played the game. The plot makes no sense, they go out of there way to make sure every past action of the player doesn't matter whatsoever, they sexualize characters for no reason and the ones they have no way of sexualizing they completely ignore.
    Picking a heterosexual option is a renegade choice, how? Overall I'm not disappointed, I was disappointed when they ruined Dragon Age. Now I'm just waiting for them to release their ultimate garbage ball which will either kill the company and put it out of it's mercy or get them to reconsider their writing staff a little more carefully.
  8. Mar 6, 2012
    I wanted an epic conclusion to the previous two games that brought the full weight of my choices to bear in a glorious ending involving the previously lampshaded themes of entropy. The ending I got instead simply didn't fit, it was a hybrid of the endings from Deus Ex and Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann, and somehow still failed to be compelling.

The only "positive" aspect of the game that

The only "positive" aspect of the game that they could think of to market being gay romance. As a heterosexual, I don't care about gay romance, and as a gamer I care very little about romance as a sub-plot in the first place.

Additionally, the visuals and gameplay are both substantially worsened from the previous two games.
  9. Mar 6, 2012
    Worst game in Mass Effect 1-3. Why I need to play multiplayer to successfully complete main single-player campaign? Why some characters and pieces of plot are cut from the game that I bought and are selling with additional price? How much we need to pay to get complete game, not piece-by-piece by additional money? Mass Effect is killed by greed.
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    I feel cheated. The game reeks of being rushed and incomplete. From the small, tightly bound maps to the unpolished haphazardly placed objects, it seems all the care and attention to detail that made the second game play like a movie (and some would say at the cost of playing like an RPG) have been thrown aside. There's no emotion or connection with the cast and every promise made byI feel cheated. The game reeks of being rushed and incomplete. From the small, tightly bound maps to the unpolished haphazardly placed objects, it seems all the care and attention to detail that made the second game play like a movie (and some would say at the cost of playing like an RPG) have been thrown aside. There's no emotion or connection with the cast and every promise made by bioware over the years of having your decisions *matter* has just been a complete and utter lie as the plot rides roughshod over your own shepard's story to force itself onto you with plotholes the size of the citadel.
    I cannot play another bioware game.
  11. Mar 6, 2012
    EA, those blasted slavedrivers, have successfully raped a once creative and forward-looking studio, and are hoping for people to feast on their miscarried offspring. What's not to hate? And holy flying **** did they buy out ALL the critics?
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    At time of writing a major feature of this game(the ability to carry over your character from a previous game) does not function. The vast majority will play this game to continue the story with THEIR character making it arguably the most important feature in the game. How this made it through QA or was never tested is beyond rational thought. This is tantamount to selling something youAt time of writing a major feature of this game(the ability to carry over your character from a previous game) does not function. The vast majority will play this game to continue the story with THEIR character making it arguably the most important feature in the game. How this made it through QA or was never tested is beyond rational thought. This is tantamount to selling something you cannot deliver. Expand
  13. Mar 6, 2012
    Requires Origin to play, has day one DLC, and has the putrid stench of Bioware's writing on it. Avoid it at all costs. Don't support this defunct company, and don't support EA.
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    This is coming from someone who liked the first Mass Effect and thougth that the second one was pretty good too: Dont buy this game. It's dumbed down piece of over marketed trash.
    It's painfully obvious that most of the money spent on this game went for marketing and buying good reviews. That does not make this a good game, not by a long shot.
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the dialog itself is horrible.
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    Finally a site that lets the people who didn't run Mass Effect ads for three months state their opinion.

The game is **** storywise. Oldest twists in the book. Hurr they were good all along. Hurr the little kid is super powerful.
  16. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is terrible and the story is Twilight fanfiction posing as space opera. Don't buy this game. This is not the same Bioware who made games like Baldur's Gate. This is an abomination
  17. Mar 6, 2012
    Played for a a few hours, and simply couldn't get into it like I did with Mass Effect 1 or 2.
    1 had pretty fantastic writing, 2 was sub-par yet playable, but 3 just seemed to drag my nose down a linear pathway with an obvious, stupid storyline that could only appeal to slow people.
  18. Mar 7, 2012
    Well... I buy this game today.. ME2 was better... Give me my money back! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad! It's bad!!!!!!!!!
  19. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part ofI really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part of the game, or the DLC is released weeks after. Expand
  20. Mar 6, 2012
    Day one DLC, forced romances, boring gameplay, terrible graphics, pants on head retarded story, uninteresting characters and the list goes on.

So much did EA/Bioware pay the reviewers?
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought this game thinking it was going to be Pokemon White. However when I opened this game it was in fact Mass Effect 3.

DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE, THEY ARE SCAMMERS.
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible practices against the customers and incredilby reduced quality from the second iteration that I felt was one of the best RPGs I've played.
    It's sad to see this happen to a previously so excellent series of video games.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    Lots of issues come to mind when playing through this. All your previous choices in games don't have the great effect they were hyped up to in previous installments, and boil down to a mere email or extra line of dialogue. The game-play continues to be a dumbed down action shooter experience, with mediocre mechanics at that, a mech and turret section simply do not belong in what was onceLots of issues come to mind when playing through this. All your previous choices in games don't have the great effect they were hyped up to in previous installments, and boil down to a mere email or extra line of dialogue. The game-play continues to be a dumbed down action shooter experience, with mediocre mechanics at that, a mech and turret section simply do not belong in what was once a great rpg with shooting elements. The customization still pales in comparison to ME1, and features continued to be removed. The textures fall flat on models, while some of the backdrops do make for good eye candy, the god awful animations will distract you too much from them.
    As for the story, which was supposed to be the great draw of mass effect, it is a poor excuse of a conclusion, with numerous retcons and plot holes, and endings ripped straight out of other series and the book of cliches. But hey, they might offer a better ending, if you're willing to pay another 15$ for dlc!
    Even more on the dlc practice is this day 1 dlc and other consumer milking practices. While minor cosmetic and item additions aren't that terrible, the having a prothean squadmate for a dlc pack on day 1 is inexcusable. It was content cut specifically to be sold as DLC, while ea/bioware may say it was created after the main game was completed, that is a flat out marketing lie, as the lines for this character and other assets was seen in many of the previous leaks while still in development.

All in all is shows the continue decline of bioware as they continue to destroy their own franchises.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    personally I have no problem with gays, my problem with this game mainly is writing, its a bad story, with bad dialogue, and overall bad gameplay and graphics
  25. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in thisMass Effect is the dying spasm of Bioware. A company once known for greatness, now more known for fascination with Twilight, reducing choices for gamers and creating games that look more like clones of Call of Duty and dating sims than RPG's we used to love. Make no mistake. Mass Effect 1 and DAO were great games. But the loss of authors and imagination is painfully evident in this production. We have a deus ex machina plot, shallow characters, terrible ignorance of universe lore established in previous production. In exchange we have dialogues like from some cheap remake of Jersey Shore(Vega I am looking at you), hallow romances that make normal cringe at the dialogue and nothing resembling the mystery atmosphere of cold but fascinating cosmos we knew from previous games....
    Don't buy it. Huge disappointment.
  26. Mar 9, 2012
    I was disappointed with the treatment this once great game received. First of all, I'm not a homophob but including gay relationships in a game is unnecessary. Stop trying to appeal to everyone, this is not COD this is not WOW, but I guess now it's becoming just like them. Corporate greed is the main force that ruins great titles today, it can literally turn a creative idea into completeI was disappointed with the treatment this once great game received. First of all, I'm not a homophob but including gay relationships in a game is unnecessary. Stop trying to appeal to everyone, this is not COD this is not WOW, but I guess now it's becoming just like them. Corporate greed is the main force that ruins great titles today, it can literally turn a creative idea into complete watered down mass appeal piece of **** Plus making your customers get out of their way to use Origin just to "prevent piracy" is just a fatal mistake. This excuse for a game is not even worth pirating. Every great business model is based on great customer service and customer satisfaction, which EA completely lacks. Maybe you should look at the way Valve does their business and then figure out why they are becoming more loved by the fans every coming year. Expand
  27. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm speechless. Why ? I did something stupid, played the first game imported my character in to the second game,imported to ME3.
    Why the rant? When did the gaming industry decided that a person able to enjoy a adult movie is unable to comprehend Schindler's List?
    It didn't start well , the intro mission is railroaded, Shepard is a lost minion , irritating for every player that shaped his character thru countless hours of the two previous games, pondering the outcomes of hers/his decisions. I seriously have no idea why I did what I did in the previous games.
    It's a clone of so many movie/game decisions where the Hero does the ultimate spoiler thing, and everyone is aware that the morally grey , isn't really grey it's just trying to create the illusion by pressing on the tear duct by removing the few things a RPG player cares about-the characters and interactions with them , one by one .

The game has one of the worst endings in history, all of them and the idea that the player is not worthy to get some closure is strange, feel's like subconsciousness marketing for DLC.
    The characters from the previous game suffer at times cringe worthy writing , and lack of screen time.
    Simply there isn't enough time for anything, and the dialogues took a major hit, feels completely rushed. New players probably will not care, the game doesn't even introduce them in a proper manner, they can run and gun without consequences and even enjoy the game.
    MP is very well done,interesting and addictive , so nothing to criticize except the Origin client.
    Rated DA2 with a 1 rating this game with a 6 to reflect the technical superiority, but only the technical , the disappointment is identical like DAO vs DA2 despite never seeing the ME games as RPG's , and wondering why the "Jack of all trades, master of none" figure somehow became the most defining aspect of Bioware's recent titles.
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    Play the demo if you don't believe my rating. And then laugh in amazement at the $70 price tag and say WTF Bioware.

This game is garbage, and bioware is continuing the trend of bad PC games.
  29. Mar 6, 2012
    DLC,DlC,DLC, what a complete failure, Bioware, I was incredibly dissapointed of this game, and dissapointed of you, what a tragedy, I hope everyone over there is ashamed of themselves, making us pay on the first day... What a load of bull, I hate everyone over there, Sincerely, Vee Bass
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    This game does not live up to the story of the first, or even the second game. Game play was bland and tasteless after the third time huddling on a corner protecting someone as they something "important" in the quest. Animation is sub-par and DLC from the old saves don't count for squat. The romancing in this game is even worse with such writing leading the charge into "ACCEPTING GROUPSThis game does not live up to the story of the first, or even the second game. Game play was bland and tasteless after the third time huddling on a corner protecting someone as they something "important" in the quest. Animation is sub-par and DLC from the old saves don't count for squat. The romancing in this game is even worse with such writing leading the charge into "ACCEPTING GROUPS DIFFERENT THAN THE NORM." The RPG aspect of previous games changed into an action and stats became useless once you found upgrades for your guns. Day 1 DLC which changed the ending. Expand
  31. Mar 9, 2012
    Great, amazing game until the last 5 minutes. People are not exaggerating this one bit. Those last 5 minutes not only hurt the replay value of this particular game, but also the two installments that came before it. Without some serious reparation DLC I cannot recommend this game to a serious Mass Effect fan that has spent time perfecting "their Shepard." Not in its current state.

On the

On the hand, if Mass Effect is something you've only had a passing interest in over the years but never really dove into it then the endings won't effect you so adversely. In that regard I can't recommend it enough.
  32. Mar 6, 2012
    I was there the day of the Mass Effect 1 release. I've since played it all the way through 7 times, 3 of them on the hardest difficulty. I love Mass Effect. Not because of the gameplay, because the world they created was believable and sucked you in. It made you care about the characters and their problems. Mass Effect 2 was a huge step backwards, but the story was still fairly solid, theI was there the day of the Mass Effect 1 release. I've since played it all the way through 7 times, 3 of them on the hardest difficulty. I love Mass Effect. Not because of the gameplay, because the world they created was believable and sucked you in. It made you care about the characters and their problems. Mass Effect 2 was a huge step backwards, but the story was still fairly solid, the characters were still excellent, and the world was still believable. Mass Effect 3 is a travesty. First off, I can't import my character's face, or recreate it because it's impossible with the new face generator. I spent 3 hours trying. So I have to play the final chapter as if my character had her face rearranged surgically after being disfigured, because she still has exactly the same voice. It's unpleasant to see someone else speaking in the voice of my beloved Alexey Shepherd and now I have to put up with it for the entire game. Second, the story in ME3 is a total joke. It's simply not believable. It's utterly full of every bad movie cliche in the book, and it repeats them constantly. You cannot play for even 5 minutes without wincing at the terrible dialog and plot developments. The characters that return from the previous games do not act like themselves at all, and in a few cases (Ashley, UGH) don't even LOOK like themselves. Ashley looked perfectly fine before, why motion cap some ugly reject of American Idol and put her in a video game? Oh, and the biggest middle finger from Bioware is making the only surviving member of the Prothean race, a race that is central to the plot and core story of all 3 games in the series AND is referenced in nearly every single mission in every single game, a paid launch DLC just says, "ohi, we're Bioware and we hate our fans. Give us your money and get lost." I hate Bioware for creating the unique IP that is Mass Effect and then systematically destroying it. I hate EA for helping. And I hate how gaming has gone from a labor a love, with gamers creating games they know other gamers will want to play, to executives and boards designing products by committee with a sole focus on how much money they can get from their potential customers. Bioware, EA, you've lost this customer for life. Expand
  33. Mar 14, 2012
    A decent game let down by one of the worst game endings I've ever seen. The ending is incoherent, inconsistent, and incomprehensible nonsense that really wrecks any sense of accomplishment.

Other than that the game is okay, but my least favorite of the three. Plus there's the issue of the cheeky paid for Day One DLC.
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    Worst letdown ever. Obviously ruined by clever production managers. However, consequences will only follow for the Studio. This is how you Britney Spears a Nina Simone.
  35. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 ... I'm left with the same feeling as I was with DA2. How could they take such an excellent franchise and butcher it so. Disfigured and lolling in any sensory depth of story telling. Bioware have really sold out to they're paymasters on this one for what seems nothing more than a quick cash in on what would of wrapped all those hours ... no days; of choices, heart acheMass Effect 3 ... I'm left with the same feeling as I was with DA2. How could they take such an excellent franchise and butcher it so. Disfigured and lolling in any sensory depth of story telling. Bioware have really sold out to they're paymasters on this one for what seems nothing more than a quick cash in on what would of wrapped all those hours ... no days; of choices, heart ache on Tali or Liara, keeping Wrex in check all to culminate into .. this ... "This" ... monstrosity, Thank you Bioware, for the years of great games, characters and story telling, You are sorely missed;. Expand
  36. Mar 6, 2012
    I don't even know how to start this. Remember how they kept hyping the game from its story elements, the decision making replayability and how it'd influence the game? HAH. Your decisions barely change the way the game goes, especially towards the endings. Endings which are completely ripped off the original Deus Ex, too, and make no sense whatsoever in the game. I won't spoil you becauseI don't even know how to start this. Remember how they kept hyping the game from its story elements, the decision making replayability and how it'd influence the game? HAH. Your decisions barely change the way the game goes, especially towards the endings. Endings which are completely ripped off the original Deus Ex, too, and make no sense whatsoever in the game. I won't spoil you because I don't want to take the fun (see: disappointment) out of the game for you, if you haven't finished it yet, but let's just say that Commander Shepard is more of a character by itself now, instead of what it should be and was in the other games - You control him, he reflects what you think/do in the game, not play as him only and act like you're nothing but a spectator. And the amount of feelings the game tries to force on you will make you cringe rather than actually getting sad. All the drama it tries to get down your throat (most notably around the kid who appears in the first part of the game), the "decisions" you have to take which usually mean something gets saved while the other gets destroyed - that makes me go "oh no I have to choose what to save i cri evertim ;_;". It'd work if they wouldn't have done it so many times. The amount of plot holes in here make me want to scream "NURSE!" because of how big and many they are, and how many questions they let unanswered. And let me guess, fans will say "it's so you can come up with your own responses to it" - well, I wish I could've come up with different endings then, and it still proves that Bioware was lazy on the matter. They give you the illusion of free choice in the not as many interactions you take in dialogue, but it all ends up in the same. And in these fewer times you can choose what to say, there isn't much other than Paragon or Renegade. No neutral response? Why would you remove that? Now, don't get me wrong. The gameplay and graphics aren't bad. They're just ME2ish, bringing almost nothing new, but it's still enjoyable enough. Facial animations are subpar, and the characters have almost no emotional response to what happens (which contrasts with what the game is trying to do). Also, explosions everywhere. It's like we're back... in... MW3. Good lord how easy it is to compare ME2 and ME3 with MW2 and MW3 (because if you think about it, both MW3 and ME3 were made with their focus more on multiplayer, they have the same graphics, same gameplay as their previous games, and are cashins more than a proper game). Anyway, animations... Well, they aren't horrible (except the Anderson running animation on the first mission, holy hell it makes me laugh from how bad it is, and the Femshep running animation) but you could've expected better, even from Bioware. What irks me is that the most important parts of the game, the biggest selling points, its plot and how what you do influences the whole game (and series), are just... ruined. I can't think of a better word, and I wish I wouldn't find myself saying this, but I never had big expectations for this game and it still managed to break them, on the bad way. I'd say more, but I'd be spoiling the story to prove my points. 1/10 because it's not a HORRIBLE game... But it's close. Just my opinion. Expand
  37. Mar 6, 2012
    Why did I waste my time on this piece of crap? I could have watched The Room about 15 times instead. It's about as bad as Dragon Age 2, and that's saying a lot.
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    Really bland game. An almost 1:1 360 port. No gamepad support on PC either yet Bioware can tell us they had to make day 1 DLC for 3 months but not enough time to support the 360 gamepad this UI is designed around!! You be the judge of how credible that statement is!

Bland UT3 gfx & even worse average story which is little different to 1+2 just more of the same & confusing as well. ME1 got away with it 5 years ago now its just whatever......

If you like bland sub-std sci-fi with dated gfx & almost no PC enhancements then please buy as many copies as you can to let Bioware know they can get away with this & the approx â
  39. Mar 6, 2012
    This game is terrible. I loved Mass Effect one, I'd probably give that one like a 9/10. the second one came up and **** it up. It turned into a COVERBASED SHOOTER BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL. and now this third one just destroyed everything. Ammo? Really Bioware? You added AMMO when the first and second one DIRECTLY said that ammo doesn't exist. full retard bioware. $10 prothean squadmate DLC?This game is terrible. I loved Mass Effect one, I'd probably give that one like a 9/10. the second one came up and **** it up. It turned into a COVERBASED SHOOTER BLOODY SCREEN SO REAL. and now this third one just destroyed everything. Ammo? Really Bioware? You added AMMO when the first and second one DIRECTLY said that ammo doesn't exist. full retard bioware. $10 prothean squadmate DLC? Why would you remove something so important like a prothean and sell it for $10? It's pretty obvious that you didn't make him "after" the game was put on the disc and everything, because many groups have already created a ME3 dlc UNLOCKER that UNLOCKS the dlc ON THE DISC. That's right, the DLC is right there on the disc, but you have to pay 10 dollars to unlock it. there's no way to get out of that one. Other than the terrible running animations, black and white choices, CHEST HIGH WALLS SO REAL ACTION PICK UP THIS AMMO, and payed reviews, this game sucks. About those reviews, let's take a look at destructiod for a second here. They claim that people are "trolling" the metacritic reviews, by putting useless reviews and 0's. Really destructoid? Are you really that paranoid? "holy **** this person hates a game that I like! they must be trolls!" That's a very childish thing to say, and for you to look over all of the legitimate complaints and call them "potentially legitimate" is also childish. It's great that you get paid by bioware and they let you have their games early and stuff, but sometimes you just need to stop being retards for a second, and think about what you're encouraging. Furthermo-
    You must pay $10 to unlock the "Review Ending" DLC package.
  40. Mar 6, 2012
    I created this account just to be able to express my disappointment with the route Bioware has chosen. It's becoming depressingly common that RPG game creators, after carving out a loyal fanbase and establishing their name, suddenly get an aversion from everything that constitutes an RPG and try to craft their games in order to cater to the lowest common denominator (see for instance:I created this account just to be able to express my disappointment with the route Bioware has chosen. It's becoming depressingly common that RPG game creators, after carving out a loyal fanbase and establishing their name, suddenly get an aversion from everything that constitutes an RPG and try to craft their games in order to cater to the lowest common denominator (see for instance: Fallout, Deus Ex, etc. - although the latest games in these series have gone back somewhat to being actual RPGs, somewhat). It's curious how game developers still seem to assume that the average gamer is a 14-year old console player with no taste or opinion. Did they really think that no-one would 'notice' Mass Effect has turned into a Gears of War clone? Of course they do. Also, why in the world would they even want to emulate Gears of War? Isn't Mass Effect at least as big as Gears of War is? It really puzzles me.

I had the same feelings when I played Dragon Age II, but I hoped that was just a fluke. After Mass Effect 3, it has become obvious that this is really a new strategy. I wish them well, but in me they have now lost a customer. I own every RPG they ever made - except that MMORPG - but I will be buying no more Bioware games, until I feel confident they've improved on their current trend of mediocre gameplay and (especially) terrible writing. It's never a good idea to alienate the most loyal and (because of age) most financially capable of your fanbase, in a stupid attempt to gain 'new fans'.
  41. Mar 6, 2012
    The real question when reviewing this game is where to possibly start when describing everything that went wrong. The most controversial of these was the DLC. Bioware has adopted a business model where profits are generated by withholding content and then selling it later for more money, claiming it was created at a later date. You can blame EA for this only to a certain extent. In the endThe real question when reviewing this game is where to possibly start when describing everything that went wrong. The most controversial of these was the DLC. Bioware has adopted a business model where profits are generated by withholding content and then selling it later for more money, claiming it was created at a later date. You can blame EA for this only to a certain extent. In the end it was Bioware's choice to accept the contract several years ago and pursue this practice. Their behavior towards criticism has not done their image any favors either. Attempts by their fans to describe flaws in their games often result in bans and accusations of trolling. However, as for Mass Effect 3 itself, the problems with this game extend far beyond a greedy DLC-based approach to content. The writing is atrocious, riddled with cliches and plot holes that raise about 10 more questions for every 1 that is answered. The endings are awful not just for their inability to deliver satisfying conclusions to plot threads, but in their blatant similarity to other science fiction games like Deus Ex. The difference here is that it's not handled nearly as well and in many cases insults previously established lore in Mass Effect 1. Example, Sovereign says "My kind transcends your very understanding(...)You cannot even grasp the nature of our existence." Without spoiling too much, it turns out the "nature of our existence" means a reason that makes absolutely no sense and defies all logic and reason. Instead of creating an origin that felt truly "alien" Bioware instead went with the most predictable and disappointing explanation. The gameplay in Mass Effect 3 feels like every last line of code was checked to see if a "modern audience" will find it appealing. Originality was no factor at all in the way this combat was designed. Shooting mechanics are insultingly simple, and levels play out like corridor shooters. It's a far-cry from the vast open landscapes that were in Mass Effect 1 where the mako could be used to scale mountaintops. The RPG elements are improved just enough from Mass Effect 2 to attempt to reclaim the bare-minimum amount of fans who felt disappointed with their absence the second time around. Animations are so bad they're actually funny to witness. Shepard runs like he/she is wearing a used adult diaper. There are only a small amount of weapons, and any beyond 2 or 3 per type will cost extra money as DLC. It's disgusting. Bioware is dead. If Dragon Age 2 didn't at least raise suspicions that the company had moved towards a "Marketing first, Creativity second" approach to their products, then Mass Effect 3 will cement that. Such potential on a truly enjoyable first installment is completely squandered on appealing to the lowest-common denominator. If you buy this game, or support this company, than you have nobody to blame but yourself. Expand
  42. Mar 6, 2012
    Is this truly the state of the video game industry at present? It used to be consumer desire that shaped what was released, now we have day 1 DLC and companies like Bioware that go to great extremes to censor anything that even closely resembles criticism. Are you going to bend over and let this happen?
  43. Mar 6, 2012
    Abysmal. It's like a relapse of Dragon Age 2. Bioware simply can't make a successful sequel. An vast budget and the majority of it was spent on marketing rather than attempting to make a quality game. It's sad how EA and Bioware have compromised quality for the sake of profit.
  44. Mar 6, 2012
    It really didn't live up to my expectations, taking the previous 2 games into account. Where as I could enjoy Mass Effect 2, despite it being a step down on the RPG-scale, I still liked it for what it was. Mass Effect 3 is a prime example of having focused more on the elements of a dating sim space, rather than the much more important story and gameplay.
  45. Mar 6, 2012
    What utter trash this game ended up being. Bioware you have lost a loyal fan, as this game does live up to the standards of current RPG games. It seems that this game was made with the sole intention of making as much money as possible, with content as an after thought.
  46. Mar 7, 2012
    Bioware dropped the ball on this one. The execution of the story is pretty terrible. I stood by them when they strip down the gameplay from ME1 to ME2 but now they've stripped down even the story and dialogue that it's actually quite disappointing.
  47. Mar 6, 2012
    Absolute degenerative garbage. The first Mass Effect was mediocre at best, and the series has gone from bad to worse. Terrible writing, broken combat and misandrious slander.
  48. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My previews review after 30 minutes I gave it a 4, now I am revising it to give it a 3.

All the holes in the plot just gets bigger and bigger. They sacrifice character consistency for cheap cinematic moments that felt as empty as it is cliche.

Sad moment where refugee gets wiped out by the Invaders? Would be sad if you don't realize that the main character is standing there dumbfounded on top of a WAR SHIP with GUNS that can easily take out the enemy or at the very lease get the transports time to get away.

A moment of polarization that set you against Cerebus? Would be motivational if you realize that Shepard (which mine did) had Singularity (or that Liara could do the same). The whole thing with Ashley being disabled is a dumb founding moment as Shepard is once again, yep, stand there mouth gaping dumbfounded, as the opponent RADIOS IN and WAITS for conformation from Elusive Man.

This pattern repeats through out the whole movie and VASTLY distracts from the plausibility of the story, and is expanded upon things like

The World is being destroyed, and what does your companions say in the Lift while Alliance Personnel are being slaughtered... "Well.. Shepard... I am not sure I can trust you.... can you comfort me and make me feel better?" all this is within the first 30-60 minute of the game.

The dialogue is so horrendous, the plot so forced, it is a WORSE attempt at Action RPG than the Dragon Age 2 fiasco. At least Dragon Age 2 isn't a patch work of one liners that can be used on advertising posters.

Going to struggle through to the end like I did with Dragon Age 2, but so far it does not bode well.
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    Second time that a sequel to Bioware ruins the game! Dragon Age 2 ended up with everything I would expect from a sequel to Origins and Mass Effect 3 now takes all the epic trilogy in a way ridiculous in every way (graphics, story and game play). Bioware from today I'll never buy anything produced by you!
  50. Mar 7, 2012
    Did you like mass effect 1 with its far reaching decisions or building the ultimate team of badasses in mass effect 2? I did, and was led to believe that my decisions in mass effect 1 and 2 would have implications in mass effect 3. Guess what? They dont. Have you ever wondered what would happen if an excellent cover shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War had been developed by a bunch ofDid you like mass effect 1 with its far reaching decisions or building the ultimate team of badasses in mass effect 2? I did, and was led to believe that my decisions in mass effect 1 and 2 would have implications in mass effect 3. Guess what? They dont. Have you ever wondered what would happen if an excellent cover shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War had been developed by a bunch of retards? If so, this is the game for you. The gameplay is absolutely effing atrocious. For all the money that went into this game, it feels like it was programmed by Andre the Giant slamming his spastic head on the keyboard. One button serves about 18 different purposes meaning you will die a lot. The hardest difficulty setting is too easy. The gameplay also applies to the multiplayer. Bioware decided that you can only get the best ending if you sink A LOT of hours into the multiplayer. This is them really taking the piss because the cover shooting (gone is the RPG elements, meaningful conversations and minigames from the first two games) is crap. The graphics... Everything has been purposefully darkened to hide the fuzzy details on a visual engine that is now aging very badly. The graphics will not blow you away but neither will they disgust you. They are very average. Nothing special. Remember how you could be a paragon or a renegade? That was good, wasnt it? Bioware got rid of them both now to the point where they are utterly indivisible from each other. This game is disgusting. I am very glad I rented it. Make sure you buy it used. Notice how all the professional reviewers are giving it 10/10? Also note that EA and Bioware are advertising heavily on their front pages. These reviewers are all bought and paid for. The one thing in this game I thought might be cool was that Jessica Chobot was in it. I was hoping I would be able to gun her down like the **** mutt she is but you cant even do that either. I hope Jessica Chobot gets eye cancer, aids or both. She is a talentless hack with a push up bra. Her being in this is a gimmick and that sums up this game. A bunch of failed gimmicks. Because this game has no redeeming features whatsoever, I am voting it a zero. Expand
  51. Mar 7, 2012
    This game is not a surprise at all. The second installment was a real disappointment, but the direction for the third game was clear. Dialog is limited to 2 answers, one is nice, the other is more of the harsh kind. You have to play the boring MP to actually increase your odds collecting fleetstrength, a lot of the dialog is uninspired and boring, the animations are clumsy, the combat isThis game is not a surprise at all. The second installment was a real disappointment, but the direction for the third game was clear. Dialog is limited to 2 answers, one is nice, the other is more of the harsh kind. You have to play the boring MP to actually increase your odds collecting fleetstrength, a lot of the dialog is uninspired and boring, the animations are clumsy, the combat is repetetiv and forgettable, and the rest is just an interactive movie with game elements. Its not a good game and not a good sf-movie. It is something in between unable to satisfy even the lowest expectations. To be blunt: ME3 is a weak last installment. The shooter part is not up to par compared to a full fledged shooter, while the the weak rpg-elements are hardly worth mentioning. It's a dumbed down interactive movie with very little gameplay and an unsatisfactory story which ends with a huge letdown. Expand
  52. Mar 6, 2012
    Unfortunately this game just does not stand out in any way shape or form and it seems to just be a recycled game design. Multiplayer is fun for an hour or two as well then just kind of gets boring as well.
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    Hardly any actual gameplay, just cutscene after cutscene after cutscene. For **** sake.
    The cutscenes would have been bearable if they actually were worth the storytelling. But it was just plain awful and cringeworthy to have to sit through. I felt ill irl.
  54. Mar 6, 2012
    Honestly Bioware? after setting up so many good characters you give us the **** ones for our squad and completely hack apart the interior of the normandy.
    not to mention the fact that 90% of your choices from the previous games do absolutely nothing.
    dissapointed bioware so dissapointed
  55. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware should stop making "games" since they obviously can't be bothered anymore and just stick to their true calling, romance visual novels. Dumbed down gameplay concepts, day one DLC and a plot that's complete garbage, which consists of zero meaningful choice options and a general direction that's put to shame by 10 year old fan-fiction writers. Not to mention the animation is terrible,Bioware should stop making "games" since they obviously can't be bothered anymore and just stick to their true calling, romance visual novels. Dumbed down gameplay concepts, day one DLC and a plot that's complete garbage, which consists of zero meaningful choice options and a general direction that's put to shame by 10 year old fan-fiction writers. Not to mention the animation is terrible, the music instantly forgettable and voice acting fairly lackluster. Given the choice, it wouldn't surprise me if people didn't even bother pirating this game, it's that bad. Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    BioWare, honestly, what happened? You used to take so much care with your RPG's; so much detail over every little thing. You've made classics such as KOTOR, but somewhere along the line you evolved into this money-eating, DLC-spewing menace to WRPG's. And Christ, where do I even begin with ME3? The story was half-assed and it felt more like a "Babby's first vidya" than a serious RPG. ForBioWare, honestly, what happened? You used to take so much care with your RPG's; so much detail over every little thing. You've made classics such as KOTOR, but somewhere along the line you evolved into this money-eating, DLC-spewing menace to WRPG's. And Christ, where do I even begin with ME3? The story was half-assed and it felt more like a "Babby's first vidya" than a serious RPG. For shame, BioWare, for shame. Expand
  57. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10 reasons why Mass Effect 3 doesn't even deserve a serious review: 1. Bioware kills Emily Wong over Twitter 2. 7 variations of the same basic ending (90% of all endings involve Shepard's death) 3. The entire trilogy was a story told by a grandpa to his grandson at some point in the distant future 4. Shepard somehow gets PTSD over that one random kid that dies at the start of the game. Final Reaper also decides to take the form of the dead kid for some reason 5. Reapers decide to kill everyone that can make AI because AI MAY decide to kill everyone (The hell BioWare?) 6. Prothean crewmember is DLC (Disc Locked Content), also Jamaican for some reason. 7. All decisions from the previous games are turned into power bar, some are even totally retconned 8. The Citadel is used as religious symbolism, it's actually called Crucible and Shepard must sacrifice himself 9. Tali is a space elf 10. BIG McLARGEHUGE There's many more but I think I got the point across. Still can't believe there's so many people already giving perfect 10/10 reviews. And yet reviews like mine will get deleted. DINGU DONGU BANNU END OF RINE Be excretion to each other.

Oh by the way: http://imgur.com/Nz54M
  58. Mar 6, 2012
    Absolutely awful and a disgrace to the Mass Effect series. BioWare has really sold out worse than I could have foreseen. The dialogue, story, and characters are not what they used too, and this feels like a game made for that annoying 12-year old that I play Halo 3 online with. I don't want to be that kid, BioWare.
  59. Mar 6, 2012
    Another piece of trash spewed out from the depths of the money hungry company we know as Bioware. I honestly can never trust Bioware games ever again, I thought after the abomination of Dragon Age 2 I could give them one more chance, but they have gone too far now. This game is completely brainless, and worst of all the day one DLC.
  60. Mar 6, 2012
    They intentionally cut STORY-HEAVY content from the game in order to sell it on the side as DLC. Inexcusable business practices. I cannot give this game more than (1) for that reason. Abusing and manipulating your trusting fanbase for extra money is NOT acceptable.
  61. Mar 10, 2012
  62. Mar 6, 2012
    Sadly, for a game with so much promise, Mass Effect 3 fumbles the ball in the end zone. The game suffers ridiculous bugs, and a clearly rushed ending. I hate to say it but as I play through, I almost wonder if at some point EA came in and said 'You've got three days to finish' about three months early. I'm givng this one a zero, for much the same reasons I gave Dragon Age 2 a low score:Sadly, for a game with so much promise, Mass Effect 3 fumbles the ball in the end zone. The game suffers ridiculous bugs, and a clearly rushed ending. I hate to say it but as I play through, I almost wonder if at some point EA came in and said 'You've got three days to finish' about three months early. I'm givng this one a zero, for much the same reasons I gave Dragon Age 2 a low score: It does not live up to the hype. It's buggy, rushed, and when it does have good ideas, they're badly damaged by the bugs. The story is forced, there is auto dialogue where you do not decide what Sheppard says, and no matter what you do, you get the same crap endings. Expand
  63. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the latest installment of Bioware
  64. Mar 6, 2012
    I can't believe this.
    I've played ME1, it was a great FPS/RPG hybrid with its flaws, but the story and the art direction pushed it foward, I've enjoyed every single moment of that pearl.
    I can't believe this.
    Then I've played ME2, and I was disappointed, it wasn't BAD but it was suffering from being the middle title, so no real plot progression, most of the game was going around being the fetch boy for the local quest givers, but I actually liked how they evolved the gameplay into being more dinamic even though I was worried about it going closer to a over the shoulder FPS and the mediocre quality of the wriiting.
    Now here we are at Mass Effect 3... what is this Bioware ? Did you mistreat your employers and they've decided to release a bad product out of spite ?
    The bad writing got even worse, you have destroyed all of the characters, the reapers have been downgreaded to a generic space conqueror when they were well fledged space death bringers in the first two games. "LET'S FIGHT BACK !" ? Are you joking me ? Should I be scared of a villain who dances between being an unbeatable abomination and Team Roket ?
    The gameplay is Gear Of Wars, plain and simple, you've thrown away the original gameplay and gave the middle finger to the people who made ME famous in the first place, but I should've seen it coming on ME2.
    The graphics are dated, UE3 is good if used right but if you put low resolution blurry textures and badly designed blocky levels with the same level of phantasy as TRON, the game looks bad even if the tech behind it is great.
    The Soundtrack is good at least, doesn't get boring and does its job into helping you immersing in the game.
    There is one thing that really hit me though, none of my choices matter. none. Everything just turns out the same in a different flavour, with some dialogues changing. That is NOT shaping the world on my choices, that is playing Deus Ex on your story and making sure things go the way you want regardless of what we think.
    And I can accept that, but at least don't LIE to us, tell us sincerely that you got over your head, wrote yourself into a corner and were forced to retcon stuff to make the game better, it's understandable and way better than giving yet another middlefinger to your customers.
    Finally, I don't know if Bioware's success got to its head, but they have forgotten their roots, they think they are god and whoever disagree is either a troll or WRONG by divine right, they won't accept critics and improve upon them, which can only lead them into making even worse games.
    I hope EA will do something about the few bad member of your otherwise great dev team.
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is what I imagine would happen if Mass Effect 1 got made into a badly done Hollywood Movie and that movie had a badly done game based upon it. Oh and the movie was directed by Michael Bay and the game was done by THQ.
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    This game clearly ended the trilogy in the most special way possible.
    If any game could claim it ended this trilogy in the most special way it would be this.
    I give this a 10/10 because this game ended the trilogy in the most special way possible.
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    This game runs like a fan fiction of a fan fiction. Our only hope is that BioWare releases a DLC to fix our brains after the damage this unfortunate pile of crap did.
  68. Mar 6, 2012
    Save your hard earned money, I am a die hard ME fan and this game was unbelievably disappointing. Just know one thing, You Have No Choices in the end. None.
  69. Mar 6, 2012
    I don't want to spoil the ending, but this game was really, really bad. I don't have a problem with the gay scene, but the gameplay here fell extremely short and the ending left much more to be desired.
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    very poor. a real disappointment. mass effect 1 was a great game. bioware have ruined the franchise with this game. a significant portion of the "game" was cut scenes, it was more of an interactive film.
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Absolutely terrible. I used to love the Mass Effect series. They were some of my favorite games. But playing this now, it's like nothing I've done in the previous games mattered. The story makes no sense and disregards anything that happened in the previous games.

Mass Effect is dead, and ME3 is the shovel they used to bury it.
  72. Mar 8, 2012
    Got a refund for the game, here is why:
    1. EA - day1 DLC
    2. EA - Multiplayer/internet access - fighting piracy on my expanse.
    3. BW - Poor story writing.

Going to play friends copy. EA will not get my money.
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Why, Bioware, why would you ruin the franchise with this awful gameplay and storytelling??? WHYYYY????? It used to be deep and choice-oriented, what the **** is THIS?
  74. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible game, day 1 DLC, awful story and voice acting. Instantly got a refund after being exciting for it for over 4 years. No big surprise seeing how TORtanic went down, Bioware isn't what they used to be.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    Everything that was right in Mass Effect 1 has vanished in Mass Effect 3. This series is no longer an RPG with Third-person shooter elements. This game is a really ban gears of war clone with horrible animations, terrible textures and cringeworthy dialogue.

Also, Day 1 DLC should be frowned upon by everyone. It is absolutly unacceptable in this day and age.
  76. Mar 6, 2012
    Gameplay feels worse than before and they pretty much just ignored the previous lore. How they could mess it up so bad is anybody's guess. This game was made by EA for the sole purpose of making money off the Mass Effect name.
  77. Mar 7, 2012
    Now we all have good reason to buy Used Games again. I'll wait until the price drops to compensate for the DLC. I mean really....A Prothean Member which for some of us long time players is almost a must have and slap in the face at the same time, and Eden Prime return for 10$?!?!? Really!?!?! Really?!?!
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    Seriously Bioware? The game by itself doesn't present anything new, innovative or overall - worth your while. It's been made merely for milking down todays completely uncritical masses. If you're dumb - you'll love it and spend cash on it. If you're someone that actually is capable of using your brain - you'll avoid it at all costs for your own good.
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    I am writing this review in protest of Mass Effect 3's day one DLC. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were some of the most memorable games I've ever played, and I very much looked forward to playing Mass Effect 3. After hearing about the day one DLC I rescinded my pre-order. I believe EA Games/Bioware are fleecing their customers with this type of business practice. I believe this is an attempt toI am writing this review in protest of Mass Effect 3's day one DLC. Mass Effect 1 and 2 were some of the most memorable games I've ever played, and I very much looked forward to playing Mass Effect 3. After hearing about the day one DLC I rescinded my pre-order. I believe EA Games/Bioware are fleecing their customers with this type of business practice. I believe this is an attempt to capitalize on a series that has loyal followers who will not be able to resist the [spoiler censor] teammate. I consider 60 dollars a hefty price to pay for a PC game, and trying to squeeze another 10 dollars out out the fan base on day one is just atrocious business. I was actually planning on replaying the first two games, buying the well-regarded mass effect 2 DLC, and then playing through the third on day one. It seems like EA/Bioware is trying to whittle down our tolerance for this kind of tomfoolery, DA/ME2 had free content with new purchases, this time around it's story-significant day-one content for extra money, what next? I am drawing this line in the sand for myself, and I hope others join me in earnest. Expand
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    Greedy people demanding 10 bucks for dayone dlc. That is not acceptable. For all paying customers is should have been free. Just like in ME2. Also, the RPG elements are very much cut down, making this game more COD-alike. PC version has worse graphics. Outrageous!
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We synthetics are killing organics so organics don't use synthetics to kill organics. This game is half retarded. I'd like to give it points for looking nice but this is just a generic action movie padded with a ludicrous amount of dry romance novels. Expand
  82. Mar 6, 2012
    The series has fallen downhill since the first. Everything has been continuously simplified, and the writing has fallen out of the realm of anything that could be considered acceptable. It's lazy, and one a person who has someone managed to enjoy the same game that Bioware has been recycling for the better part of the last decade will be able to enjoy this.
  83. Mar 6, 2012
    The first Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite games, with really enjoyable gameplay and immersing story, I rate Mass Effect 2 as good but not as good as the first one, the story just didn't progress enough. Sadly Mass Effect 3 is the weakest in the series in my opinion. While the gameplay is about on par with the previous games, which is good, the story was really lacking. LargeThe first Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite games, with really enjoyable gameplay and immersing story, I rate Mass Effect 2 as good but not as good as the first one, the story just didn't progress enough. Sadly Mass Effect 3 is the weakest in the series in my opinion. While the gameplay is about on par with the previous games, which is good, the story was really lacking. Large plotholes made the game unenjoyable for me and the ending was real letdown. I'm quite sad this trilogy ended on such a mediocre tone. Expand
  84. Mar 6, 2012
    I have played Mass Effect 1 and 2 but 3 is a complete disappointment. First of all, they haven't put any effort on the PC version. The settings are anemic, the lack of official mod support, day one DLC, the game is only played with your mouse and the space bar, and you need to have origin. Those are big enough reasons to not buy the game, but that's not all. The game has also been madeI have played Mass Effect 1 and 2 but 3 is a complete disappointment. First of all, they haven't put any effort on the PC version. The settings are anemic, the lack of official mod support, day one DLC, the game is only played with your mouse and the space bar, and you need to have origin. Those are big enough reasons to not buy the game, but that's not all. The game has also been made accessible by the brainless. I think they made a mode specifically for them, thus taking away development time from important things like the inventory system we loved from Mass Effect 1. Maybe I should from now on write to review for the brainless. Ok, so ur like dis space cowboy girl and u go around da citadel whacking folks who talk bhind ur back, k? And tehn tehres liek tehse aleins who u must kill. Is liek gow but u have sheild so u dont haf to liek stand in covers. U can nao also skips teh blah blah if u wanna kill the stuffs. Expand
  85. Mar 6, 2012
    Everything about this game is terrible, just like Dragon Age II, it messes up the few elements Bioware had gotten right in their dumbed down franchises.

You are presented with less "illusion of choice" than in ME1 and ME2 when it came to dialogues, and a lot less stuff to probe from the NPCs. The "neutral" sounding choice has been completely cut from the game. The whole atmosphere emitted by the game is creepy and takes itself way too seriously, cue the sad sounding piano tune that's played in many of the worst scenes written by bioware, beating Dragon Age II in the derp department. The whole story does not make sense at all and spends a lot of time basically retconning the stuff we took for granted in the first two installments of the trilogy. For each of the episodes, Bioware changed the writing team and it shows. ME3 is an unplanned abortion and not something that was carefully crafted from material built since Mass Effect 1. The textures are disgusting, the animation laughable (you can find better animations in Skyrim which says a lot in itself since Bethesda's games are not known for that kind of virtue..), everything about this gays says "quick and dirty development" to cash in on the name of the franchise as fast as they could without regards for the quality of the work, just like Dragon Age 2, which took a lot less time to make than Dragon Age Origins and had terrible texture, terrible models, backgrounds, copy pasted dungeons in the side quests and basically being nothing more than a shell devoid of actual content.
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    Another "rpg" from the glorious west, except this time with enough plotholes to sink the Titanic. If Bioware fans keep on supporting this stuff, I fear for future games where this kind of game is considered "good" by any standard. The WRPG died a decade ago. Do you like watching terrible sci-fi space operas? Do you enjoy mindless third person shooting? Do you enjoy "moral choices" thatAnother "rpg" from the glorious west, except this time with enough plotholes to sink the Titanic. If Bioware fans keep on supporting this stuff, I fear for future games where this kind of game is considered "good" by any standard. The WRPG died a decade ago. Do you like watching terrible sci-fi space operas? Do you enjoy mindless third person shooting? Do you enjoy "moral choices" that really amount to nothing? Then please buy this game and all its DLC. Expand
  87. Mar 6, 2012
    Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like.

Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end up on Earth and is being trailed by the Alliance for the **** you've done". That's nice, guess he stopped working with Cerberus and the Council's spectre status meant nothing.

Anyway, auto-dialogue sets in with little to no player input for minutes on end, probably one of their new innovations when impatient people found dialogue boring and then explosions occur and the Reapers are there. The entire galaxy acts shocked.

Now, maybe I expected too much from the writers but the pacing is horrible. This isn't just for the intro--though the intro does a wonderful job of showing it--with the entire game having Shepard talking without the player's input and the game hoping to imagine you know **** when you don't before explosions happen everywhere.

It almost seems like they were trying to build a blockbuster movie rather than write the end of the trilogy, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson being supervised by Michael Bay who's constantly yelling "MORE EXPLOSIONS" throughout the entire creation process.

In addition to this, importing serves little to no purpose. Killed a character before? It's somehow back alive! Spare a character? Well, they died off-screen! The consequences which were advertised for years now, since the very inception of the series, becoming meaningless and serving nothing but wasting a writer's five seconds to create a new line for the sake of importing.

I feel like I've been robbed, not simply because of my purchase of ME3 being a complete waste but the entire trilogy built up absolutely nothing. Unable to play ME1 or ME2 anymore, ME3 spoils the entire experience. If I wanted automatic dialogue, crappy plots and one-liners I would find myself playing Gears of War, least they have a slightly rewarding ending (Yes, ME3 ends on a downer note that tries to be optimistic and leaves you with hundreds of questions, none which they try to answer).

Bioware has fallen hard as of yet, I don't trust they'll be able to stand anymore.

Useless information:
    Gameplay is choppy on PC, one button covering a thousand functions reeks of bad porting.

Graphics are worse on PC, shadows everywhere try to obscure poor textures. High Res Patch may be coming but it won't matter since everything is hidden under layers of shadow.

Multiplayer gets tiresome quickly, essentially being singleplayer without the dialogue (oh wait, that is the singleplayer. lol.) which you fight waves of enemies with Hackett telling you to do things here or there. Level up system is poorly thought out, certain characters have huge imbalances and you need to sacrifice your MP character to get assets for the Single Player (REPLAY VALUE!!111 *cough* not).

Multiplayer is also necessary to get the better endings, which is absolutely **** absurd.

Day 1 DLC up the ass costing upwards to 900$ for everything.

Mass Effect 3 is absolute garbage, as much as I hate to say it.
  88. Mar 7, 2012
    Lots of bugs in conversation - graphical in nature. Peoples poses instead of seamless transiton into another would just pop into new poses occasionally. The voices a lot of the time didnt match the lip syncs whatsoever so peoples faces sometimes would look like ventriloquists. I even found and experienced a few bugs along the way. My main problem is the games ending. It just failed toLots of bugs in conversation - graphical in nature. Peoples poses instead of seamless transiton into another would just pop into new poses occasionally. The voices a lot of the time didnt match the lip syncs whatsoever so peoples faces sometimes would look like ventriloquists. I even found and experienced a few bugs along the way. My main problem is the games ending. It just failed to deliver on every level. It left me angry and confused. This game had so much promise and it was squandered. I do not recommend this game be purchased at this time. Wait for the price to come down. Expand
  89. Mar 6, 2012
    Play this videogame then you will understand why it is so bad.

Play this videogame then you will understand why it is so bad.

ent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has donnt RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've wit
  90. Mar 6, 2012
    I feel awfully betrayed that the series went from and expansive sci-fi space opera with consequential choices; to a fairly streamlined action adventure with RPG elements. Its attempts at emotional manipulation are slightly hamfisted, not ineffective but very clumsily implemented and unrelated to my character's background - which I imagine Bioware has forgotten about at this point. TheI feel awfully betrayed that the series went from and expansive sci-fi space opera with consequential choices; to a fairly streamlined action adventure with RPG elements. Its attempts at emotional manipulation are slightly hamfisted, not ineffective but very clumsily implemented and unrelated to my character's background - which I imagine Bioware has forgotten about at this point. The writing and designs for some characters also seems out of place, Vega is expected to be a bulky man but not to the extent that he's a jersey Shore cast member, the addition of Jessica Chobot and redesign for Ashley also complement this lovely little tan-orange motif. My largest qualm is with the Day 1 DLC - which I strongly oppose - by all means create new characters that are not plot-integral. But when you create a squad member who is heaily tied to the universe's lore and mystique and then aim to charge an extra $10 for it on top of the game's already hefty pricetag you know you fit a stereotype.The romance system is fine, although I'd like to be able to talk to my companions without the intention of making out with them. I wonà Expand
  91. Mar 6, 2012
    It does not add any RPG elements, it continues to make it more call of duty to mass market it, it makes it more "hip and cool" to mass market it, it makes day 1 DLC to rip money as much as possible from mass appealing it to max, and beneath now is soulless, uninspired story that just feels bad how badly it is constructed. I have played better third person shooters. You should not supportIt does not add any RPG elements, it continues to make it more call of duty to mass market it, it makes it more "hip and cool" to mass market it, it makes day 1 DLC to rip money as much as possible from mass appealing it to max, and beneath now is soulless, uninspired story that just feels bad how badly it is constructed. I have played better third person shooters. You should not support company for making a RPG to boring third person shooter and says CONVERSATIONS are a RPG element - it's not.

Goodbye bioware, stuff you do to your own franchises that start out OK, is just sad.
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    As I opened the box I was immediately hit by swarm of flies that nested on this piece of **** game.
    Bioware with DA2, ToRtanic and even ME2 has gone to deepest depths of hell, became one of worst developers and money hungry whores. You can pirate this but it is certainly not worth the money because by playing it you allow to be raped by Bioware and their sugar daddy EA and they' gotta make their 300mil tortanic money somehow so enjoy 800$ dlc.

P.S. That running animation, forced homosexual romances, bad textures and animations, taking away all RPG elements and making this a corridor shooter doesn't help either.
  93. Mar 6, 2012
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. If you're one of the following, or a combination of all three: a newcomer to the series; someone who doesn't like roleplaying games; someone who prefers shooters like Gears of War or CoD; Go give this game a 9.5/10, it was made specifically for you. If you're someone who was a fan of the ME1 franchise since the first one, enjoyed the fantastic and wittyOh how the mighty have fallen. If you're one of the following, or a combination of all three: a newcomer to the series; someone who doesn't like roleplaying games; someone who prefers shooters like Gears of War or CoD; Go give this game a 9.5/10, it was made specifically for you. If you're someone who was a fan of the ME1 franchise since the first one, enjoyed the fantastic and witty writing, the dialogue choices and essentially what was a perfect hybrid of shooter and RPG mechanics, rate this game somewhere in the 1-3/10 region. There is also a huge lack of polish, animations are absolutely terrible and glitchy. voice acting is unbelievably bad, the lead writer, Mac Walters, is f*cking crap at his job and should be sacked. Graphics are very low quality. Skyboxes are a joke to look at, just a muddy pixelated mess Iooks more at home in the original Half-Life1, low res textures are buried under excessive amounts of shadow and poor contrast settings that can't be changed, space bar does EVERYTHING. Choices in the past game mean almost nothing, which is contrary to what was advertised. And now, the autodialog. Shepard just talks for ages on end, with absolutely no input from the player. This isn't YOUR Shep you play, it is something else. Shep often says dickish things I didn't want him to, so and there's only 2 choices of dialog now, not 3-4 from the previous games. One good and one bad. It's like we're being treated as retards, it's insulting. I give it a 2/10, and that's generous. Expand
  94. Mar 6, 2012
    I must say I looked forward to this game before. Now that I've played it I realize it's **** The plot is bad and so is the graphics. The controls are the worst I've played with aswell you can feel it's a bad console port through everything this game.

Don't buy this...
  95. Mar 6, 2012
    The Field of View makes the game unplayable. We need a simple FoV setting in the options somewhere. It would take less than an hour for one programmer to implement.
  96. Mar 6, 2012
    by the way, the critic scores are a joke. dont be fooled people, they get paid for saying that crap. i see it time and time again, if it wasnt for crooked critics that are only out for a quick buck then we wouldnt have to deal with so many bad games. its just like the paid movie critics. our paid entertainment is just like ordering food at crapdonalds, have you ever ordered anything andby the way, the critic scores are a joke. dont be fooled people, they get paid for saying that crap. i see it time and time again, if it wasnt for crooked critics that are only out for a quick buck then we wouldnt have to deal with so many bad games. its just like the paid movie critics. our paid entertainment is just like ordering food at crapdonalds, have you ever ordered anything and have it look anywhere near what the picture looks like. these marketing firms that the companies hired should be taken out back and put down, every last one of them! Expand
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    Horrible writing, dumbed down gameplay, homosexual romances forced down our throats, horrible writing, awful animations, **** day one DLC and finally horrible writing.

This game is an insult to fans of the series and to gamers in general. The "professional" reviewers must have been payed off. Do not buy this heap of crap.
  98. Mar 7, 2012
    The horrendous graphics with 2d sprites everywhere, the unfinished product where a crucial thing to be able to connect to your imported character is not working (importing ME2 faces) . The story is written in such a budget-cut way it leaves very little room for replay as I myself have retstarted every mission where one had to make a (what one thought was a game-breakingThe horrendous graphics with 2d sprites everywhere, the unfinished product where a crucial thing to be able to connect to your imported character is not working (importing ME2 faces) . The story is written in such a budget-cut way it leaves very little room for replay as I myself have retstarted every mission where one had to make a (what one thought was a game-breaking answer/stance/change) just to replay said mission, take a different choice AND everytime see how the choices I made really didnt matter (these are no spoilers: Hi mordin, Hi Salarian embassy council) . I am extremely, extremely dissappointed with this unfinished product. And my wife being a devout christian the gay relenships and statements in the game are extremely disturbing. I´m taking it back to amazon and demand a refund, Ill push it as far as I can because Im furious over this unifinished crap"game" made in a 14 year old graphics-engine (unreal) which with its 2d-sprites still crasher in important locations so one has to try go another way.... I cancelled my sons SWTOR account and stated the same reasons so you get the message, Im through with you as a developer (still on my 4th playthrough on skyrim with 80% sidequests), never get tired but this crap Ive stopped playing as off this moment. Expand
  99. Mar 6, 2012
    It is easy to say that Mass Effect 3 represents everything that is going wrong about the path that modern videogames are taking. From the tacked on multiplayer to pre-release DLC to disregarding and retconing past titles mercilessly Bioware is sending a clear message: They are prepared to do anything to squeeze as many dollars out of their customers as they can.

The worst part is that

The worst part is that this cash milking machine is going to sell millions, with people spending $60 + $40 on average on the game itself and on the DLC. With this you are also sending a clear message to companies like EA and Activision: We customers like to be treated like **** and we like to buy our games multiple times in the form of overpriced DLC.
  100. Mar 6, 2012
    Do not listen to the people giving this game a 10 they are lying or bioware ea employers or just plain stupid this game is horrible its the worst in the series bye far their are no RPG elements left in the game at all even when you pick to play the game as an RPG they don't are about the pc you an not use your mouse wheel to scroll you ant access the journal with the j button on yourDo not listen to the people giving this game a 10 they are lying or bioware ea employers or just plain stupid this game is horrible its the worst in the series bye far their are no RPG elements left in the game at all even when you pick to play the game as an RPG they don't are about the pc you an not use your mouse wheel to scroll you ant access the journal with the j button on your keyboard you cant crouch any more like you could in the first game witch i liked the graphics and textures are appalling if you have any sense you will not bye this game if you do wait for it to be on sale or rents it other wise you are wasting your money honestly. Expand
  101. Mar 7, 2012
    To me, the Mass Effect franchise was something that symbolised and epitomised what a sci-fi video game could be. The only other francise to have captured my mind in the Science Fiction videogame genre like this was Homeworld. I have fond memories of the original Mass Effect; ones that I'll likely never forget, like meeting Vigil on Ilos the first time and hearing the fate of theTo me, the Mass Effect franchise was something that symbolised and epitomised what a sci-fi video game could be. The only other francise to have captured my mind in the Science Fiction videogame genre like this was Homeworld. I have fond memories of the original Mass Effect; ones that I'll likely never forget, like meeting Vigil on Ilos the first time and hearing the fate of the Protheans.

...and now we have a Prothean as a squad member. Drew Karpyshyn must be able to taste the bile in the back of his throat.

Where to begin with Mass Effect 3? Origin? Sexualisation of characters that don't need sexualisation? The Jersey Shore effect? Day 1 story integral paid DLC? Dumbing down of gameplay mechanics? Two choice conversations? Your decisions mean nothing? When in doubt, retcon earlier games? Cerberus? Mac Walters? Forced emotional engagement? Shepard having post traumatic stress disorder about things that should be water of a ducks back? The list goes on, and on, and on.

There is a lot wrong with Mass Effect 3. A lot. It's the whore direction the francise has taken. Bioware, I am disappoint. I'm giving ME3 a 1/10. It's the best I can do.

1. Apr 11, 2012