• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Feb 25, 2003
4.2

1. Jan 6, 2012
    The most abysmal game I have ever had the misfortune of playing. Worst game of the decade. It is almost as if it had been deliberately designed to be confusing, frustrating, and bland. Trust me: Don't even play it if it's released for free.
  2. Jul 5, 2011
    The most disappointing game ever. MOO and MOOII were amazing (best strategy games ever!) but this thing was just... annoying. It's overly complicated, full of bugs and just NOT FUN.
  3. Feb 28, 2013
    This game was complete crap. The colony control was waaaaay too much work to make the game fun, the combat was crappy, and the planet invasion engine was boring as hell. The few times I played through this, I eventually let the game run the actual colonies because there was just too much crap to do with each one. Seriously, do I need to pick the type of shoes those colonists are wearing? Bring back the MOO 2 design, and build off that! Expand
  4. May 22, 2013
    Its almost like the developer said, "Master of Orion 2 was a really sweet game! Maybe we should take out everything that made it fun and see if anyone notices." We noticed... this is a poop game.
  5. Jun 21, 2012
    I'd give the game a 7, not as good as MOO2. As soon as my video card got a new driver 2 months after buying it I could no longer play it. "Direct X Surface Unavailable." So this review gets a 1 for not being supported and updated less than 3 months after purchase.
  6. Apr 19, 2013
    Considering how good Master of Orion 2 was, I was giddy when I heard about this game. Then I got it. W! T! F! is this? It took the micro management aspect from MOO2, and pretty much made that the core mechanic. This game feels more like a job than a game. I half expected to get a pay check for playing this. But, frustration aside, some of the visuals are decent and I do get what they were trying to do with this game. Problem is, what they were trying to do is not fun. I would imagine the only people who liked this are mindless workaholics that love needlessly complicated work systems.

Overall:
    Not only was this game a massive disappointment to me, but I also found no way to enjoy it at all. Even looking at it on its own, this game is basically "Intergalactic paperwork The Video Game!"
  7. Sep 16, 2013
    Horrible. Probably due to the fact that trying to make a sequel of THE BEST 4X space game ever (Master of Orion 2 ofc) is not something easy, but they totally missed it. Everything (and I mean everything) in this 3rd installement is worse than the previous one: interface, ship building, gameplay, diplomacy... If you're looking for a recent MOO2 clone, get StarDrive, it is much better than this crap. Expand

MOO3 collapses under the weight of its own ambitious design. We doubt this can be fixed in a patch. Gamers need not apply. Masochists, you're on your own.
  2. Sure, the gameplay is incredibly deep, but I wanted more emphasis on the military aspects of the game. [Apr 2003, p.95]
  3. If only your enemies displayed the same kind of intelligence, the game might be a lot more interesting - but in fact, the enemy AI in MOO3 is terrible, far worse than in the previous game in the series.