7.6

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1929 Ratings

1. Jun 15, 2012
    Hello everyone, I passed the whole game, and my expectations were met, it is a masterpiece, and more such games from Rockstar"Come in the ass those who do not like this game
  2. Jun 18, 2012
    Excellent game.Good graphics,great gameplay,one of the best action games of 2012.The bullet-time and shootdodge are perfectly representated by Rockstar!But when you knew GTA IV and Read Dead Redemption were great games,you knew this Max Payne 3 was gonna be an Ass-kicker!
  3. Jan 9, 2013
    Best game of 2012 for me, the pc ports really rocks: dx11 support, really smooth even on my old machine and full support also for 3dvision, great job Rockstar, more of this!!
    The game contains a lot of cut scenes very well done and much better than most of the movies i've seen recently, the action is frenetic and it can be also very tough on hard difficulty setting.
    Multiplayer also is
    Multiplayer also is very good, i'm playing with some friends and having a lot of fun, there are levels to advance like most of the recent fps shooters.
  4. Mar 23, 2013
    This is quite simply one of the slickest, smoothest and most satisfying games I have ever played. It looks incredible and the artwork theme is incredible, giving the game such a unique feel. The cutscenes and menus are slick and the game moves flowingly throughout. It's lack of bugs and glitches only add to it's seamless atmosphere. The in-game mechanics are well-balanced giving theThis is quite simply one of the slickest, smoothest and most satisfying games I have ever played. It looks incredible and the artwork theme is incredible, giving the game such a unique feel. The cutscenes and menus are slick and the game moves flowingly throughout. It's lack of bugs and glitches only add to it's seamless atmosphere. The in-game mechanics are well-balanced giving the bullet-time and movement a satisfying substance whilst remaining tasteful. The story is deep and immersive, Max Payne's character is rich and goes against the grain of Hollywood's heroes. It's so rare to have a game that feels and plays like a well-made film but this is the perfect way to describe Max Payne 3. Playing this game is like watching Pulp Fiction for the first time, you simply won't forget it and you'll want to watch it again. Max Payne 3 gives what every gamer lusts for, an actual experience built on detail, story and fantastic gameplay. Buy the out of it. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    "A masterpiece of underworld carnality, depravity and violence."-The Guardian.
    â
  6. Jun 3, 2012
    Very impressive. A few graphical hiccups - but a wholesome, thrilling and paced game. Haven't played the previous Max Payne games, and this has been an excellent game nonetheless, and has in fact bolstered by knowledge of the overall trilogy?
  7. Jun 3, 2012
    MY VIEW FOR THOSE WHO ARE TIRED OF ANGER AND SPAMMING POSTS AND USELESS GAME REVIEW SITES.

Yes, I'm one of the many (mainly Steam purchasers it seems) who have had trouble launching the game. But I'm not going to waste time slagging Steam/Rockstar off for this problem, even though it wasted much of my time sorting out. I'm currently playing Max Payne 3 with a modified .exe, but hey, I'm playing Max Payne 3!

Firstly, as is usually the first request of any PC gaming enthusiast, what are the graphics like? Well, put simply, they are consistently outstanding. I'm fortunate enough to be playing the game @ 2560x1440 with maxed out settings and it runs buttery smooth. Rockstar has finally done itself proud by giving us, the PC gamer, a extremely well optimised game. If you have the hardware then you're in for a treat, Max Payne 3 may not grab the number one spot for outright visual splendour (although it is worthy of nomination) but it does win an award that almost every game - even PC exclusive titles - can't get close to; it contains a high level of texture work that PC gamers expect. Crysis may still be deemed as great looking but many of it's textures are awful up close, the same can best said for many of the so-called visual PC behemoths. Max Payne 3 manages to look excellent not just most of the time, but all of the time. Coming from Rockstar, who are renowned for detail rather than cutting edge graphics, this is an amazing achievement. Whether the PC version was built from the ground up; shares parts with the console versions; or is largely a port, doesn't matter. Apart from one thing (which I'll comment on in a minute) Max Payne 3 for the PC looks like a bona fide PC game, through and through. Rockstar may not have included the myriad graphics settings that dazzle most in Serious Same BFE, but the choice of DX9-DX11 settings allow for good scaling. At it's highest settings Max Payne 3 looks to switch on every cutting edge feature, placing the PC version leagues ahead of the console offering. Again, credit to Rockstar for this hugely evident visual increase. I played both Max Payne and Max Payne 2 and enjoyed them immensely using the faithful mouse and keyboard controls. But honestly, Max Payne 3 plays better on a gamepad. With a XBox 360 controller the game is simply better. I'm a veteran gamer, the M&K is what I consider myself a master of, but this game doesn't seem to work well with it. As soon as I plugged my gamepad in, it all came together, and the one thing that may stand out as a console trespasser to most is actually welcomed by me. The weapon select dial that sends hordes of PC gamers into a frenzied mutiny is perfect for the job in Max Payne 3. Seriously, if you feel yourself playing this game and all the while something is niggling away inside your head, get a gamepad and plug it in. The Marmite love and hate relationship with the cut scenes is understandable. Initially I wasn't too keen on the , what seemed to be, intrusion of Rockstar's story book, but after a while they started to fit the game well. For those that are still complaining that Rockstar haven't replicated the previous games should take a chill pill and enjoy what it has created. In true Rockstar fashion what we have here is a story well told, a story that you want to continue, one that makes it hard for you to hit the quit button. Yes it's ridiculous, yes it's brash, but it's something that many games have lost over recent times. IT'S FUN! Running through baddies whilst picking them them off is amazing fun. Rockstar have somehow managed to make the real time gunfights as fun, if not more so, than any bullet time event. The action is powerful, brutal and bloody, you'll often feel so invigorated after even a short exchange of bullets that you'll watch yet another cut scene with bated breath, the story driving you toward the next exciting instalment. The audio is very nice. Rockstar has a great eye for detail (just look at the amount of detail in GTAIV) and it knows how to do sound, too. Everything just works, it fits. The music, the effects, the voice work, all of it is superb. The accompanying tunes are so good you don't even notice them. That may sound odd, but it's very important that any in-game music does not become centre stage. Be part of a game, help towards making the experience epic, but don't overdo it. Rockstar has done well here. Unfortunately, as with it's previous titles, Rockstar have gone slightly overkill with the language. Yes, I understand this kind of thing in the real world would involve lots of unsavoury characters who have a plethora of naughty words in their vocabulary, but is there a real need for the large amount of bad language that Rockstar put in it's games? I'm not so sure.

So, is Max Payne 3 any good? Yep. Worth the full price? Yep. Multi-player any good? Probably definitely, don't know, haven't tried it yet. Just get it, it's Max!
  8. Jun 27, 2012
    exellent game with great story and it s one of the difficult games in this generation. great ia and very nice graphics
  9. Jun 3, 2012
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game great story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous.
    Bravo Rockstar.
  10. Jul 4, 2012
    A Great game with good optimization, the story and the mechanics are excellent and cinematic are brillant make you feel the pain and the emotions of Max Payne 3 feel like Max Payne and its Max Payne 3, Rockstar Games Make a great job with this game and some bugs or consolers reviews can change this, The PC version is better
  11. Jun 4, 2012
    Superb game! Very close to a movie masterpiece. Awesome gameplay, dialogs, story and graphics. Of course some may find that there are too many cutscene, but u can always jump them. One of the best game of the last years. The pc version i trieed is very good, only 2 crashes in a lot of our of gameplay. Very, very good Rockstar!
  12. Jun 3, 2012
    A+ Single Player (ofcourse free aim)
    with an A grade Multi-Player (free aim as well)

Gorgeous graphically, engaging story and gameplay, wonderful mechanics; and most of all- Does Max Payne franchise JUSTICE and perhaps past nostalgia is the greatest of the series. Must buy. GOTY candidate!
  13. BMF
    Jun 4, 2012
    I have been waiting for Max Payne 3 for a long time and it didnt disapoint. The story is excellent the graphics and sound are both PC quality and the combat plays out with some of the best ragdoll physics and blood effects I have ever seen. The game can get brutaly hard at some points but I never wanted to give up and im still craving more after beating the storyline.
  14. Jun 4, 2012
    I was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. TheI was greatly surprised by my play through of Max Payne 3. All the elements that made the older games great were still present. It was a great example as to why games do not need sandboxes in order to be great. The old fashion scripted game play worked magnificently in the gritty story that is Max Payne 3. From the moment you pick up the action it's a heated ride from start to finish. The story transitions tie each scene together nicely, with zero loading screens I might add. The overall graphics do look amazing but I've grown to expect that with games made by large studios like Rock Star these days. The game play mechanics that make Max Payne stand out worked very well. The bullet time was easy to use as well as the cover and the environmental objects you can use to turn the tide of battle. I've heard complaint of not being able to play through story again because of heavy scripting but I just haven't seen that in my second play through. The enemies appear to react to what is going on around them and have made playing through a second time just as rewarding an experience.

Truthfully this is a solid game on it's own. I have yet to try out the multiplayer yet, but as it stands on single player, I would recommend this game to any action hero fan.
  15. Jun 21, 2012
    Rockstar Games continue the amazing franchise with their awesome game making skills, and they made this game almost perfect, and it fits right in the series.
    The thing I liked the most about this game was that they didn't **** up even one thing, it still feels like a Max Payne game, it's a third person shooter, bullet time is there, the game is as ground breaking as all the games for their time, storyline is great, Max Payne's voice actor is still doing his awesome job, ****ing Captain Baseball Bat Boy is in the game, the game is very fun and best of all; it's challenging.
    The graphics, animation and sound quality is probably the best I've seen so far and everything works just flawless.
    If you are a Max Payne fan, WHAT THE **** ARE YOU WAITING FOR?! Get this game!
  16. Jun 18, 2012
    This is the best thing ever, I simply cannot fathom the level of amazingness within this entire thing; it's simply orgasmic in all aspects (well maybe no smell, but it's pretty damn close.)
  17. Jun 10, 2012
    This is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I justThis is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I just hate it when game play is stale with unbreakable cover - and if you use bullet time with it can equate to some amazing moves and matrix style action (Max should be renamed to Neo imo :P). I have played the other 2 Max Paynes so to see the flash backs and the cut scenes associated with them was really nice, you really have to play the other games to understand his Noir and history and a lot of the dialogue (such as the Mona references). On a modern beefed up PC like mine it plays so smoothly on super high gfx and the effects the game has are unbelievable, the scenes look just as stunning as well, almost life like at times (much better than BF3 or whatever). The loading time for my game....well I get none so I can't really talk about that. Cut scenes could be skippable but tbh I play on a difficulty that matches my skill so I have no problems there and neither will you if you do the same. If you MOVE around you will find the game is quite good at utilising cover while making it challenging to make sure your enemies don't flank you (office areas are an example in this game). Coming back to the effects it really shines on those little things like picking up a gun while running, it's these little effects that really bring the fighting to life and makes you feel a part of it all. For me the gaming isn't too scripted, not any more than previous Max Paynes (yes this is Max Payne 3 not some other first-of-the-series game...) and honestly, I like the scripted action, it adds to the fact that Max's life always seemed to read from a horror movie script. I like how the game also sometimes forces you into situations your sane enough to not get into but Max isn't; remember Max is a guy on the edge so jumping into the center of some bad guys isn't unlike him and I like how the game throws you in and expects you in a moments notice be able to fight like a bad ass instead of a camper. I also like the unpredictability of some fights, like you think Max is gonna neatly cover behind some canisters but they fall over, suddenly your moving on a crane up having to shoot all the bad guys as you do. All this and more makes Max Payne 3 an awesome game in my view and a deserving sequel. Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2012
    BOY, was this game fun!!!!
    This is nostalgic game, bringing back good old memories of MAX Payne 1 and 2.
    Beautifully executed, this game kept me hanging on till the end. Play on Hard right away, and you will have some real memorable challenge that could be remembered from first two games. Brilliantly engineered mechanics and good graphics are not even what make this game so epic. The Story
    BOY, was this game fun!!!!
    This is nostalgic game, bringing back good old memories of MAX Payne 1 and 2.
    The Story is indeed great, and ending is satisfying.
    I have very little time for Video Games, and i dont regret one bit spending those hours to be truly entertained.
    This is GOTY 2012 so far!!! Don't hesitate, to buy this amazing work. There is only one negative aspect: if you die, you cant scip long scenematics, but who cares?
  19. Jul 17, 2012
    I really think it's interesting that people complain about loading time, difficulty, and the inability to skip cutscenes.

It's a big game people, the graphics need to be loaded. It's 30 gigabytes because of the amount of graphics. If you think this game is hard, then you need help, try playing the first two games, those were hard. The fact that it's not an open world shooter is part of the Max Payne gameplay, it's not GTA, it's a story driven shoot-everything-that-moves bullet fest. Sure there is cover, but there's not recharging health which occupies so many games today. The graphics are very impressive and the gameplay is solid. Rockstar did a good job with the controls seeing as I never had to touch the options section.

The reason there are long cutscenes is because the game is loading behind them, I for one prefer something to look at while the game is loading rather than a little bar or spinning circle.

Based on what people are saying, they need to go play the first games before writing another review.

Graphics 10/10
    Gameplay 10/10
    Story 10/10
    Replayability 10/10

Overall one of the best games I've played this year.
  20. Jun 25, 2012
    This has to be one of the best games i have ever played. I feel vomit crawling up the back of my throat when i see people complaining about cutscenes for the reason that its a story based shooting game and besides, the cutscenes were gorgeous with a twisted story that i found spectacular. Although it was clearly meant for consoles, the pc version ran smooth as a babys buttcheeks bar a fewThis has to be one of the best games i have ever played. I feel vomit crawling up the back of my throat when i see people complaining about cutscenes for the reason that its a story based shooting game and besides, the cutscenes were gorgeous with a twisted story that i found spectacular. Although it was clearly meant for consoles, the pc version ran smooth as a babys buttcheeks bar a few flickering issues.
    On a more negative point i found the character design a bit sloppy in regards that the only real max feeling came from the voice acting. Personally i think going bald was a big nono for max.
    Other than that, the mind blowing engine that physicly models each bullet, the weapon detail, the destruction, the graphics, the multiplayer and of course bullet time are all executed perfectly by rockstar. I couldnt rate this game higher. Not feeling completely like a max payne game wasnt an issue for me because what it became was something far superior.
  21. Jun 9, 2012
    I'm on my third play through.. The first time was a bit of a chore.. the second time, it started growing on me.. the third time, I started pulling off insane manuvers.. clearing room fulls of goons in a single strategic bullet time dive..

Its a deceptively simple gameplay mechanic.. Easy to get into, tough to master, consistently brilliant. Game of the year.
  22. Jun 11, 2012
    Great game, better than modern,amazing gameplay,nice graphics,unique optimization,The game run fine in dx11,this game everyone should to try! Good job Rockstar,buy this game now!
  23. Jun 20, 2012
    New game from Rockstar become a new word in genre third-person shooter. New developers added many new elements of gameplay, make excellent graphics and animation. And many many different details. Max Payne... He is really come back.
  24. Jun 22, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have been a fan since the start and I was pleasantly thrilled at the outcome. Solid gameplay and I love the new setting. Adds some spice to the game while keeping to its low down roots. The Mulitplayer is great majority of the times, but there have been server issues with disconnections and resets. Only downfall I have seen for such an outstanding game.
  25. Jun 16, 2012
    I don't know how many hours I've put into this game so far (a lot). This game blows my mind so hard in so many ways that I'll just start listing random awesome features. Visuals are STUNNING and the game runs like butter. The acting taken together with the cutscene animations of the characters make the dialogue so natural that you watch cutscenes slack-jawed. And, even as a Max PayneI don't know how many hours I've put into this game so far (a lot). This game blows my mind so hard in so many ways that I'll just start listing random awesome features. Visuals are STUNNING and the game runs like butter. The acting taken together with the cutscene animations of the characters make the dialogue so natural that you watch cutscenes slack-jawed. And, even as a Max Payne veteran (bought Max Payne 1 for $50 on Xbox 1) I will tell you that Rockstar innovated Bullet-time to be the most fascinating thing I've ever seen in a game. It never. Ever. Gets old. I don't think killing enemies in a video game will ever feel this satisfying, except in Max Payne 4. Rockstar implemented some awesome system where bullets blast these disgusting entry and exit wounds into people's heads, and wounds anywhere on the body spurt blood. And this is the single most replayable game I've ever played. The only things I would change are allowing players to hit a button to skip cutscenes to make replays of levels less annoying (but you definitely wanna see every cutscene the first time through). And in multiplayer they really need to remove the enemy nametags over people's heads, because I'm always shooting at nametags clear across the map and getting kills, and I know people are doing the same to me. Enjoy. Expand
  26. Feb 17, 2013
    Best of 2012! A work of art. Exquisite!
    Nothing to complain. They did everything right!
    Excellent visuals, outstanding playability, luxury atmosphere, compelling story.
    The work and dedication have its fruit and is called: Max Payne 3
    Thanks "Rockstar" by this superlative game!
  27. Jun 14, 2012
    Different?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for aDifferent?? Yes. But did Rockstar keep to the roots of Max?? YES! Does this game deserve a "0" rating?? NO not at all! '0" to me means NOTHING at all is good and that is certainly not the case with this addition to the Max series. Been in computing since the 70's and have a little idea of the internal makings of a game...Rockstar did their homework AND is following up as well to make for a great gaming experience. Don't like the cutscenes? I suppose we all loved the graphic panels in 1 & 2, because in my mind they are one and the same. Not going into particulars as the play-ability of the game speaks for itself. No 10 cause that means all perfect, but a strong 9 and the urge for all pc gamers to check this baby out!! Nice Rockstar...and Remedy agrees!! Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2012
    What can I say aside from rockstar created a master piece.. The cut scenes are awesome, story is kind of cool but I don't exactly like how max (the main character) goes out and continues to drink nearly every night but I guess its for the fun.. Well rockstar, you created a great game, i believe it was worth my $60 thank you
  29. Jan 20, 2013
    There is only two words I can use to describe this game are "masterpiece" and "epic". You're literally playing a movie with a great story. The mechanics are easy, approachable, and fluid. Was ported very well also.
  30. Jan 26, 2013
    I love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underratedI love this game. Although the gameplay is a some what repetitive, the story is amazing and the graphics beautiful. Bullet Time is better than ever and you will need it to stay alive, because this game is hard. The only thing that's wrong about the story is that almost everyone dies, but the rest of the story is perfect. I also think that this game has one of the most underrated multiplayer modes of all time, it's extremely deep and fun. Too bad almost no one plays it. If you like crime movies, good stories, slow motion and just a well made game, pick this one up. Expand
  31. Mar 5, 2013
    Fantastic, My favorite video game ever, great graphics and visual effects, a game-play that doesn't get boring or less amusing even after multiple game plays, and Max is the deepest, most depressing, most-living video game character I've ever played with.
  32. Jan 25, 2013
    After I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infrontAfter I played both prequels, I was worried they could have changed the meaning of payne like others did because the understanding of video games changed in the past few years. But, after all, I am very excited about what was produced by Rockstar and how they could connect the game to its prequels. The athmosphere is awesome. Seldom felt like being that in a game instead of sitting infront of a monitor and just playing. Music fits great to the surrounding and the story is one of that good old scool action hero movie style tales. I guess all most negative comments are written from guys who played the payne to relaxe or next to 2 or 3 other games. To get the best out of that game you have to treat it like a good book. Just enjoy it once in a while in the afternoon and play it chapter for chapter. Great stuff! Expand
  33. Feb 28, 2013
    It's a awesome Singleplayer experience. The Multiplayer is almost unplayable, because many server problems and a lot of settings, including the firewall.
  34. Feb 11, 2013
    The gameplay is good, but the camera confuses you sometime. The best part of the game is the story. The narrative in the game does not let the story vague. The voice of the Max demonstrates his loneliness.
  35. Mar 7, 2013
    I liked every single aspect of the game except the cover system....it is very lame...u h to be very precise bfor coming out or sum1 wil shoot u... the gameplay is totally awesome bt the cover system is the only reason i hv given it a 9...
  36. Sep 18, 2013
    Beats out all the other previous Max Paynes. The games great for the PC. Its beautifully optimised. Graphics are very detail and great. The gameplay is superb.
  37. Jun 15, 2014
    I'm simply amazed by the effort that Rockstar put into the development of the PC version. I have heard that this one is not a port, but a game that was simultaneously developed along with its console counterparts. By seeing the way Rockstar optimized this game for PC, I can, without a doubt, say that GTA V on PC is going to be pretty awesome.
  38. Jun 5, 2012
    Absolutely superb game. beautifully optimised for PC with loads of lovely DX11 goodness added. Wonderful looking game and every bit the Max Payne I wanted it to be. If you liked the first two you must get this. Good to plaY!@!!
  39. Jun 8, 2012
    luls i have to respond to that first of all look at the requirements for the game rocco lol second your running a mac your mac was outdated the day you bought it and a 512mb hd 6750 what is that a joke 1gb is the standard and that 6750 prolly only has 128-bit of gddr5 prolly why you having problems there bud gg man gg get it on console or sumthing stop trying to game with a proprietaryluls i have to respond to that first of all look at the requirements for the game rocco lol second your running a mac your mac was outdated the day you bought it and a 512mb hd 6750 what is that a joke 1gb is the standard and that 6750 prolly only has 128-bit of gddr5 prolly why you having problems there bud gg man gg get it on console or sumthing stop trying to game with a proprietary device.. games are just gonna keep getting better dude so of course its gonna make you buy a newer hardware why you think consoles get outta date so fast i would tell you to buy a newer gpu but seeing as its an apple device imma go with gl hf... and fyi my nintendo gamecube could run diablo 3 on high lol everything can its just not a graphical game Expand
  40. Jun 6, 2012
    This is a great example of how videogames are made in 2012. This game has everything - superb action, great story, fascinating cutscenes, which make the game more like a movie than a game, perfect graphics and optimization, memorable soundtrack... This is the kind of game that can truly be regarded to as ART. The best 12 hours I've spent on a game in a long time.
    Multiplayer is also very
    Multiplayer is also very good and interesting, the idea of slowing down the time during an online play is brilliant. Looking at Alan Wake, I think if Remedy had the chance to make Max Payne 3 on their own, it would be almost the same game.
    And for those of you who didn't like the game because "it's not good old Max" - well, it shouldn't be good old Max, it's been almost 10 years, so if you don't like it - do better, Rockstar doesn't owe you anything. THIS is how you make games in 2012, baby! Well done, Rockstar!
  41. Jun 5, 2012
    After having played the first 5 chapters in the last 100 minutes, all I can say is that this game might just be eligible to win the best 3rd person shooter of all time.. It may not have the noir-type story-line that the 1st installment had, but it makes up for it with brilliant gameplay, graphics, physics and pace..

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise

The cutscenes which have been criticized by many, are actually a wise installment as they draw you away from the bloodshed for a while..

The girls in this game are HOT..!! Whatever one may say, this game is truly amazing.. The last 10 years seem so far away now.. Definitely the best game I have ever played, probably even better than Gears of War and Max Payne 1
  42. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon further playing I have come to realise this game is actually fantastic. Think about it Max was done in New Jersey and this was portrayed brilliantly in the flashback section of the game. All the nods to the previous games are a nice touch especially the piano playing. It leaves a few important things unanswered but it is somehow ok. Expand
  43. Jul 2, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. I can go into detail about all the graphics, gameplay mechanics, story and so on, but all I will do is URGE you to go and buy this game immediately if you haven't already. Breathtaking, amazing, hypnotic, mesmerizing, indulging - I just love it, and I'm definitely going to play through it again!
  44. Jul 10, 2012
    I have been playing Max Payne from the beginning. This game is Aewsome! I don't want it to end. Ignore the haters.. just buy it. It is like you are in your own movie and performing. My Hat is off to rockstar on this one. Thanks guys!
  45. Jun 9, 2012
    With Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seemWith Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seem to find putting bullets in people more fun here than most other games. There is just a charm to MP3 that I can't shake. A magnificent offspring of Rockstar, and it makes me have great expectations from them (especially in the form of PC ports) in the future. Expand
  46. Jul 4, 2012
    Best game of 2012 thus far. Incredible story, solid gameplay and amazing art direction. R* may not have made Max Payne 3 dark and 'noir' enough for a lot of people; regardless, this is an extremely well crafted game in all aspects. Highly recommended.
  47. Jun 8, 2012
    Max Payne 3 flows seamlessly between gameplay and cut-scenes, now whilst the cut-scenes are rather arduous, the graphics are narrative are good enough to make it a worthwhile experience. Gameplay mechanics are fun and enjoying, with a side order of a varied arsenal of weapons that compliments the main meal beautifully. Multiplayer is reminiscent of GTA4's multiplayer but with a Max PayneMax Payne 3 flows seamlessly between gameplay and cut-scenes, now whilst the cut-scenes are rather arduous, the graphics are narrative are good enough to make it a worthwhile experience. Gameplay mechanics are fun and enjoying, with a side order of a varied arsenal of weapons that compliments the main meal beautifully. Multiplayer is reminiscent of GTA4's multiplayer but with a Max Payne style to it with enjoyable movements, bullet time and action.

Pros
    Fun gameplay
    Excellent textures and sounds
    Flows seamlessly
    Good story and narrative

Cons
    Cut-scenes can't be skipped
    Annoying when you die and you go back to 10 minutes ago, so you have to go through the same thing repeatedly.
  48. Jun 9, 2012
    Much was said about third installment of famous Max Payne. Here goes my point of view. Story, as much as its predictable or naive, has balls, and its truly mature. But story isnt the only things taht keeps you with your mouth open. Technically, the game is awesome ( i dont count some minor bugs), graphics together with physics make this game really 18+. We can divide sound into two parts :Much was said about third installment of famous Max Payne. Here goes my point of view. Story, as much as its predictable or naive, has balls, and its truly mature. But story isnt the only things taht keeps you with your mouth open. Technically, the game is awesome ( i dont count some minor bugs), graphics together with physics make this game really 18+. We can divide sound into two parts : Soundtrack and Voicecast -- both awesome. Together with story we get a multiplayer and arcade mode. Multiplayer, although it has soem bugs taht needs to be fixed is maybe even better than main storyline. Load of mods and a lot customizable characters/loadouts make it even more fun. All in all this game is great, and definietly worth the price ( bought for 49,99euro on steam - but i got copy of L.A.Noire for free) :) Expand
  49. Jul 1, 2012
    Absolutely incredible. This is the new generation. On my high end PC, connected to my big ass LCD, running maxxed out this game is the culmination of my whole life in video gaming. It is everything I've always imagined a game would one day be. Finally, the graphics are so over the edge that you can forget it is all computer generated. I heard it was based on the Rage engine, which ifAbsolutely incredible. This is the new generation. On my high end PC, connected to my big ass LCD, running maxxed out this game is the culmination of my whole life in video gaming. It is everything I've always imagined a game would one day be. Finally, the graphics are so over the edge that you can forget it is all computer generated. I heard it was based on the Rage engine, which if true is a completely positive thing for id software. The game runs silky smooth through boat races, quiet cut scenes and intense gun battles. I'll be replaying this one. Expand
  50. Jun 8, 2012
    Max Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying throughMax Payne is no longer the noir-esque, comic book driven character he was in the first two games. In Max Payne 3, he is a balding, addicted mess and it really shows through his conversations and the numerous cutscenes strewn throughout the game. While some may find these scenes overbearing, I believe that it is a worthy investment to grow closer to the character you are journeying through the game with, and ends up being a satisfying pay off. The setting of Sao Paulo is an interesting choice. Rockstar took a gamble with leaving the streets of New York and I truly believe that it paid off. Brazil is widely recognized for being riddled with violence, much as New York has been famous for in the past. The difference is, New York has been done time and time again by game, film studios and other media. The favellas of Brazil provide a refreshing change and are shown as a perfect proving ground for Max in his journey to self realization and catharsis. In the lowest point of the city, Max must find himself and see if he can release his accumulated baggage, and move forward to save countless people from the evils of the rich families. Max Payne 3 is a stellar game. With excellent actors, who communicate through voice and visuals a story of pain and suffering of one of the most interesting characters I have ever witnessed in my gaming history. You will want to travelwith Max on his journey of hardships, fully knowing the consequences of your actions. His moral dilemmas will become yours, and you will help him carry his burden, and suffer others deceit, through this fantastic title. Max Payne does something that most games dare not do, it thrusts you into a world that is **** and forces you to work with it, and never lets up. This is a game that should not be missed by any mature video game fan, and is a must buy in my opinion. Max Payne gets an A

youtube/blazingreview (My review has absolutely been gutted by MetaCritic and a much longer video review is coming up soon on my channel)
  51. Jun 9, 2012
    I am not familiar with previous editions of the game. But, on its own account, it surely deserves more than an 8.0 just for the excellent job that was done in terms of playability, graphics, and sound.
    This is no cheap port from console to PC. The game surely exploits the PC Hardware and delivers, finally, some playable tesselation. In fact, it offers about 3 different levels of tesselation. I was able to run the game all most on all the top specs without trouble ( intel 2600K plus 2 gtx 570).
    The story may not be up to some people's taste, but there is certainly a plot, consistent till the end. In addition, the game offers options for gamepad users, such as a "soft lock" feature that makes it easier to aim.
    Overall, the game is well diversified with different (very well represented) locations, an ok story, and good action. The studio didn't take lot's of risks, but that works both ways: they made sure that the final product was good right from the initial release. It offers something between modern warfare and batman (surely more like the former).
  52. Jun 21, 2012
    rockstar games.we all loved the beloved GTA4.Rockstar games is back again with a masterpiece in my book.the story line is deep and u can feel the characters come to life.it made me play for 7 hours straight.this is a game worth getting
  53. Jul 1, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its notMax Payne 3 is a great game. Not many games have a compelling story anymore and max payne delivers one from start to finish. This is what games used to be like back in the day before multiplayer. A long campaign that covered every detail. Dont listen to the bad reviews on here, the people who complained about all the cut scenes obviously have never played a max payne game before. Its not about the action its about the story. I will admit rockstar screwed up in the advertisements and tried to make it out like it was a "non-stop action game" which is why i think alot of people went out and bought it. But anyone who has played the first 2 know theres a deep story involved. How else are they going to give you all the details of max paynes whole story with out cut scenes? To me they dont take away from the experience they add to suspense and the real emotions of the main character. If you want a deep emotional adult orientated story Max Payne 3 is it, if you want a nonstop shooter that has no story or cut scenes at all...thats why they release a COD every year. Expand
  54. Jun 5, 2012
    Very fun shooting mechanics with many options, and superbly executed story. Very good graphics for PC with support for DX9, 10, and 11 as well. Very story- and character-driven, just like the first two games. Captures their spirit well, plus it has the Rockstar touch. If MP3 is any indication of what's to come in GTA V, then GTA V will be incredible. A little on the short side, but theVery fun shooting mechanics with many options, and superbly executed story. Very good graphics for PC with support for DX9, 10, and 11 as well. Very story- and character-driven, just like the first two games. Captures their spirit well, plus it has the Rockstar touch. If MP3 is any indication of what's to come in GTA V, then GTA V will be incredible. A little on the short side, but the writing and characters are brilliantly done, and it does have replay value. Better than Diablo 3? Probably not. But still one of the better games on PC so far this year. Expand
  55. Jun 5, 2012
    If you liked the previous games of Max Payne, you should get this one too. One of the best games this year so far. Its almost perfect in my opinion, but 30gb on hdd needed? Damn, that's too much for a tps. Anyway, this game is great and im giving just 9 because of the bugs and hdd requirements.
  56. zyx
    Jun 8, 2012
    This Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all timeThis Game is really epic. Other reviewers dont like the story mode, but for me thats perfect. I like movie driven cut scenes and in fact, you need them. You shoot your way through an unbelievable amount of enemies, so you are happy when you get a break for breathing. The cut Scenes are well placed, as everything in that game. Its perfect balanced and scripted. One of my personal all time favs. Rockstar merged GTA and LA Noir to a perfect game engine topped with a really thrilling story. Thank you RS for a perfect game experience.. A milestone in game development ! Expand
  57. Jan 18, 2013
    Man, I really can't believe some people are rating this game low because you can't skip cutscenes, wow. Max Payne 3 is one of, if not THE best third person shooter of all time (single-player), if you disgaree you're not a gamer, that is a fact.
  58. Mar 16, 2013
    Great game.compelling story and smooth control.A fan of the series.second only to the first.This is ranked one of the best shooters.As the story gets deeper it brings you in part by part doing a good job in staying fresh and not being repetitive
  59. JEK
    Mar 18, 2013
    I can see there are lots of negative comments. Are you kidding me? Some commented that they don't like the name of football team, the game is serious. Lol. This is a great game. The story is awesome. Pyscho- Thriller action packed game. What more can you ask for. Nice Job Rockstar!
  60. Jan 5, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a game featuring natural and entertaining shooting mechanics, however this is not where the game shines its brightest. It contains some of the best writing I have seen in a video game. It immerses you in a story with a memorable setting and with deep and complex themes that will keep you thinking. The game plays out in a book form, with Max Payne narrating. This is somethingMax Payne 3 is a game featuring natural and entertaining shooting mechanics, however this is not where the game shines its brightest. It contains some of the best writing I have seen in a video game. It immerses you in a story with a memorable setting and with deep and complex themes that will keep you thinking. The game plays out in a book form, with Max Payne narrating. This is something that must be understood before someone plays the game. If they expect a typical game with constant action, they will be bored quickly. There are a lot of cut scenes. To many this is an issue, but I felt the cut scenes played an important part in making the game a story-like experience. Apart from the writing, technically this game is a masterpiece. The animations for the characters make the shooting satisfying and add to the immersion of the game. If you are prepared for a very linear but perfectly crafted experience, than May Payne is perfect for you. Expand
  61. Mar 13, 2013
    This is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on allThis is the first game, that I have ever given a 10 out of 10. For this genre, it's the absolute best you could get. It's a masterpiece! The story is great, you feel like you really know Max Payne as a person and can feel how depressed he is, he isn't just a stupid lifeless video game character. The game play is even better than the previous two, as it capitalized and expanded on all of the features introduced in the original games. You really can't ask for any more in this genre. Now I don't have a single problem with the game, however I do have a problem with many reviews on this site, discouraging people from buying the game, as it almost did for me. For example, on steam forums, multiple posts have said something like this "Was psyched about buying the game until I saw the reviews". As there were probably many more that didn't post on the forums. I think that Metacritic should really think about taking some of those bullsh*t forums off that are affecting the rating, and discouraging customers from buying. Secondly, the most common "fault" in this game (according to the negative reviews on this site) mainly consist jibber-jabber about the length and inability to skip cut scenes. Now I don't know if you guys just are posting bullsh*t reviews for fun, or if there actually was an update recently, because I swear, that in the bottom right side of the screen during every cut scene there is a button saying "press enter to skip". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That's almost 200 reviews of 0's and 1's that are dragging this truly incredible game's user score down to a 7.4/10. It really is an exaggeration when someone says "shoot, cut scene, shoot." I mean, people MUST be just posting stupid reviews for fun. Furthermore on the cut scenes, the cut scenes are what separate this game from the average third person shooter, IT GIVES IT A STORY, I mean it's not like they are boring, well unless your not a fan of the action movie genre. So seriously, skip them if you want, the rest of us will watch and enjoy, and if you REALLY HATE games with a story, then please, do us a favor, and go back to call of duty, or one of those other midless shooters. Overall, the reviewers of this game really need to cut the crap, and open their eyes to the button in the corner of the screen that allows you to skip cut scenes. Keep it up, Rockstar, you continue to make games that impress, and wow the action game genre of video game players. Expand
  62. Jun 9, 2012
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10 Story- 9 Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and
    Graphics- 10
    Gameplay- 8
    Soundtrack- 10
    Story- 9

Absolutely incredible game! As a fan of MP1 & 2 i can attest that the "max Payne" feel is still there, even halfway across the world. You dont have to be a fan of the series to enjoy this game though. The graphics are amazing hands down. I'm looking to purchase the soundtrack cause it's that awesome. The game play is fun, engaging and challenging with various options such as tactical maneuvers, using cover, crouch and prone while still having a 360 degree firing arc. The story and cut-scenes was also engaging making it difficult to decide that you've played for too long in one sitting. Feels like your playing a 10 million dollar budget Hollywood movie. Only annoyances i really found was the switching of weapons when coming out of a cut scene. takes too long to switch to, drop and pickup a rifle. Also for those looking for the collectible second time around the cut-scenes are a bit long to wait through. Other than that, it's a superb title and a must for anyone into smart FPS'.
  63. Jun 7, 2012
    I have a tendency to go into gun-ho marathons of epic game playing and usually let myself go wild like a kid on Christmas morning, but MP3 makes me want to hold back solely out of not wanting the game to end. Fantastic graphics coupled with a gripping story and great gameplay makes this game a definite contender for GOTY. It is comforting to see a developer not make a game for people whoI have a tendency to go into gun-ho marathons of epic game playing and usually let myself go wild like a kid on Christmas morning, but MP3 makes me want to hold back solely out of not wanting the game to end. Fantastic graphics coupled with a gripping story and great gameplay makes this game a definite contender for GOTY. It is comforting to see a developer not make a game for people who need to have their hands held for the entire experience, not to mention adult themes. Well done Rockstar. Expand
  64. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm gladMax payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  65. Aug 16, 2013
    The game was great. I really enjoyed the atmosphere at (gasp) the cut-scenes. I will say I wan't pleased I couldn't skip the first one, since I wanted to setup my graphics settings. But all the rest are skippable by pressing A.

The cover is not supposed to be a core part of the game, you should be using bullet-time as that is the core mechanic of the Max Payne series. The story is

The story is good, very "Die Hard' and the action is quick and responsive. I did play with a controller so I cannot vet the PC controls but really they were always designed to use a gamepad anyway.

Overall its a very fun ride and I enjoyed being in the Max Payne universe again.
  66. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot yourGreat game with a good plot and fun action. You get to play an "a far bald American hero" with a drinking addiction who is capable of taking out an entire army single-handed. Of course the game is not realistic but it's really-really fun to play. Note that they added some interesting mechanics: when you are about to die, if you have a spare "pain killer" you get an attempt to shoot your killer in bullet time. If you do, you get waste the pain killer for "another life" and continue fighting.

Oh, and it has optimized DX11 graphics, althought my GPU did overheat at first (solved by using MSI afterburner to set fans on max and reducing GPU core frequency, but thats my GPU's problem). Got the game on steam, beat the game on hard in 3-4 days, had a very good time, I recommend you do the same.

I've read some negative reviews, i would like to respond to a few of them.

- Long loading times?
    + Buy a new pc and throw your wooden garbage out. I have a core i7 2600k with a single sata HDD and GTX 570 gpu. This is clearly not a new or high-end computer. Load times take no more than 5 seconds.

- Cut-scenes can't be skipped?
    +Yes they can. There is an indicator telling you which button to press. But the cutscenes are good and an integral part of the game, so why skip them in the first place?

- Bullet time makes the game too easy?
    + Play it on hard or don't use bullet time.

- Nearly impossible to aim.
    + Actually too easy. Except when you are using laser sight (for some reason be it bug or feature it gives you extra recoil). Try playing counter-strike.
  67. Apr 26, 2013
    10/10 best game I've ever played --cutscenes are worth watching, gameplay is consistently impressive and the graphics are near perfect for a game which runs at high frame rates with low processing requirements.
  68. Apr 17, 2013
    great game!! i'm italian and when the enemies speak portoguese, me and max seem the same man!! thanks Rockstar!!
    After i finished this game, my next destination is Brasil!
  69. May 2, 2013
    With its mature story and intense shooting, Max Payne makes for one of the best single player experiences from this generation, with up to 10 hours of visual entertainment, accompanied by clever storytelling and one of the best voice acting in gaming history. The multiplayer is also one of Rockstar's finest, offering a nice array of customizable options with pretty standard gamemodes, butWith its mature story and intense shooting, Max Payne makes for one of the best single player experiences from this generation, with up to 10 hours of visual entertainment, accompanied by clever storytelling and one of the best voice acting in gaming history. The multiplayer is also one of Rockstar's finest, offering a nice array of customizable options with pretty standard gamemodes, but the bursts and bullettime work so well that, after a few matches of getting used to, you will enjoy every stylish and simply awesome kill you'll pull off online. Expand
  70. Apr 16, 2013
    Beautiful story, great shooting mechanics, amazing visuals, good soundtrack, on the other hand cover mechanics could be simplified, could introduce some vehicles... All in all, the single player is equally as awesome as multiplayer, really excited to see the crews transiting into GTA V and other titles. Perfect shooter.
  71. Apr 29, 2013
    Not sure where all the bad reviews come from, maybe people expected something different. The plot is decent the mechanics are good, body physics is great. I bought it due to 3d vision support and it was great experience, really enjoyed the 'shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene". there is absolutely nothing wrong with it for me, although I'm not oging to replay it forNot sure where all the bad reviews come from, maybe people expected something different. The plot is decent the mechanics are good, body physics is great. I bought it due to 3d vision support and it was great experience, really enjoyed the 'shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene". there is absolutely nothing wrong with it for me, although I'm not oging to replay it for every achievement possible. Expand
  72. May 21, 2013
    one of the best games ive played. took a while getting used to but once i did i couldn't stop. love max payne the character, intense missions, great storyline
  73. Jun 21, 2013
    This Max Payne series is one of the best series and this Game is only epic.
    This has very good Graphics, awesome Gameplay and one of the best stories ever.
    The brazilian settings are perfect.
    But the Multiplayer has much hackers and this is sh*t.
    But the Arcade Mode is a good idea and good implemented.
  74. Sep 1, 2013
    Before I played it I was a bit worried since it isn't made by Remedy, but having played it I'm not disappointed. It's even more like the previous ones than I had hoped. The story is just as dark. I can't think of a major negative thing about it. Sure there are some small ones like the loading that sometimes can't be skipped and some part being unnecessary hard, but all in all it's a masterpiece.
  75. AWG
    Jun 4, 2013
    The last chapter of one of the most epic trilogies in the entire history of videogames and a huge comeback. I have nothing more to say but a huge THANK YOU to Rockstar Games for this game, a truly perfect ending for the Max Payne story arc.
    Also, intriguing scenarios and beards.
  76. Jul 21, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in a while. The narrative is one of the best in any game I've played and I understand that for the younger audience, a public that will always be desperately pressing some button to cut the cutscenes every time they begin, the game will be very frustrating indeed. The game does it's loading times during some of the unskippable cutscenes, that according toOne of the best games I've played in a while. The narrative is one of the best in any game I've played and I understand that for the younger audience, a public that will always be desperately pressing some button to cut the cutscenes every time they begin, the game will be very frustrating indeed. The game does it's loading times during some of the unskippable cutscenes, that according to some, constitute the majority of game time, which isn't true, but anyway, next time Rockstar will have learned it's better to leave a black loading screen instead.
    But if you are not a part of that group of people them I highly recommend this game. The game's a very, very challenging shooter, that requires you to really be accurate in your decisions and with your aiming. You can't rush in, you got to use cover very well and the "bullet time" needs to be wisely utilized. The game has a nice story with some interesting characters and although the gameplay in itself is repetitive, the situations Max Payne has to go through always present a new challenge. He has to face snipers, has to deal with new, has to deal with some armored thugs that seem to be invulnerable and keep getting hit with seemingly no effect, there are parts where Max will be inside a boat or inside a helicopter and will have to be deadly accurate to shoot missiles and granades being thrown at his vehicle.
    There is a really large variety of settings where the game takes place. There is a nightclub, an airport, inside a favela which is an amazing part of the game to me, rich in detail and very accurate to the real thing although always a bit secluded, there are no true open areas. Rockstar really did something different from it's usual here, but the previous Max Payne games were also like that, it's not a game where you'll explore the scenery, it's a straight-forward shooter.
    The voice acting for Max Payne is as great as ever, but I'd say this time it's even better. Max Payne has many, many memorable quotes. The games soundtrack is a great one as well, there are some songs that will stick to your mind, besides the theme song ever present in the Max Payne franchise.
    I really like mature-themed games and games with a realistic presentation, although Max Payne is far from being realistic, it's main character and story is believable, if you care to include the amount of foes a single man can kill by himself as only a gameplay tool to make it a game and not a movie with a few shooting scenes.
    The fact that the game of The Walking Dead got such a great approval from the public and the way some of the recent games like Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3 have been produced, as far as voice acting, story, theme and challenge, I'm very optimistic about the video games actually maturing, going away from the strictly nerdy audience and become recognized as a type of entertainment as respected as movies are, that they aren't something that only people with no life do, showing some qualities that will be recognized and appealing to a lot of people, of all ages.
  77. Jul 26, 2013
    Good game, Great story true to the heritage. I enjoyed playing it, the shooting was classic, graphics great, story very interesting glimpse into the social strata of brazil and its criminal underbelly. It uses what made the original great and adds a depth to the character that shakes off the bad comic book feel of the first 2.
  78. Aug 21, 2013
    This is one of the 25 best games I've ever played. The best action I've ever seen in a third person shooter. The story is great, Max Payne is probably the best video game character ever. The score makes everything more badass and epic. And the multiplayer gets you take part of some gang action.
    If you liked the other Max Payne games, or any other Rockstar game, you'll love this!!
  79. Sep 11, 2013
    Best TPS ever. Best optimised for PC ever. Very great multiplayer. Excellent graphics. And the best continuation of Max Payne as much as possible. Well done Rockstar!
  80. Oct 27, 2013
    I don't really know why people are hating on this game, it's way better then let's say COD which sucks donkeys, the gameplay is fun and very nice, the graphics are just beautiful (Maxed out settings), the story is exciting, bullet time is just epic, the only thing i don't like about this game is terribly long unstoppable cut scenes. I actually never played Max Payne before, and i'm veryI don't really know why people are hating on this game, it's way better then let's say COD which sucks donkeys, the gameplay is fun and very nice, the graphics are just beautiful (Maxed out settings), the story is exciting, bullet time is just epic, the only thing i don't like about this game is terribly long unstoppable cut scenes. I actually never played Max Payne before, and i'm very excited for the next game. Expand
  81. Nov 8, 2013
    Rockstar really did his job with this...the game is just like the precedent titles I mean awesome...An wonderful gameplay and story.The graphics are cool and the title comes with a lot of new stuff and improvements and with the first max payne multiplayer.
  82. Nov 10, 2013
    Why do they say: "it's not Max Payne", "it's not the game but the movie", "it's boring"? Just why?
    It IS Max Payne like the previous parts, we have an angry gringo dealing with the whole army of enemies and not dying after infinite shots on him. We have our favourite PayneKillers, our Favourite Bullet Time, our favourite dismal hero who likes to comment his every step. And it is great, don't you think?
    Yes, it IS like a movie. And what about two previous parts? Especially MP2 was similar to a good film every time I played it. So now instead graphic novels we have cinematographic cut scenes which make all the game being like a movie and this movie is much more interesting than plenty of real movies. And it is interactive. It is just an evolution of previous parts, and it is well done. What's wrong with it? If you want just to shoot, go play Counter-Strike. Besides, I can play and replay MP and MP2 without any attention to the story: I can just skip novels and go on killing bastards. Here I at least know what was all this about.
    And now, if we're speaking about the story... Is it really boring? Or maybe previous plots were so amazing that if they are made as books their author will definitely win the Nobel Prize for them? No. If you think MP3 has the dull scenario just give up your grumbling and make a descent one.
    Oh, the gameplay, of course. Don't you think it is greatly improved? We have much more realistic weapons (and more of them, at last). An interesting and useful "last chance" mode. Max even started to use covers (awesome improvement) and enemies even have slim rudiments of AI. Add here a well done multi-player with many game types. Is it really so bad as you speak about it?..
  83. Sep 9, 2014
    I love this game. Not only is Max the grizzliest, most metaphorical detective to grace the gaming world, but his third game is amazing. Gunplay - fantastic; the tightest third person shooter I've probably ever played. Plot - gripping; seamless transition from gameplay to cutscenes, and a well-thought out political drama which Rockstar pulled off in the weirdest setting - Sao Paulo, Brazil.I love this game. Not only is Max the grizzliest, most metaphorical detective to grace the gaming world, but his third game is amazing. Gunplay - fantastic; the tightest third person shooter I've probably ever played. Plot - gripping; seamless transition from gameplay to cutscenes, and a well-thought out political drama which Rockstar pulled off in the weirdest setting - Sao Paulo, Brazil.

You have to play this on PC to get the full experience - 60fps and max settings make this a gorgeous, slick, and smooth as **** ride to get through. Seriously, I didn't even care about the complete linearity of the game, because I wanted to stay on the beaten track so much.

James McCaffrey nails it once again as Max Payne. 9.4/10.
  84. Dec 23, 2013
    In my opinion May Payne 3 was the best computer game in this genre. Because the graphics was very good (it was released in 01. Juni 2012) and the game play too. I liked the location in brazil a lot. Rock on!

9/ 10 because you can skip the cut szenes.
  85. Aug 12, 2014
    Great graphics, story, and gameplay. I would normally give this game an 8 out of 10, but giving it a 10 to offset stupid reviews that give it a 0 just because it wasn't a game you assumed it was. A 0 should only be given to a game that is completely unplayable, aka it doesn't run at all and you couldn't play a single minute of the game.

Game has excellent action and storyline. Has a

Game has excellent action and storyline. Has a lot of cut scenes and a lot of action. Very enjoyable.
  86. May 13, 2015
    I've read the negative reviews to find what people complain about the most. It was "lack of gameplay and unending cut-scenes." I love the Noir genre, and this game implements the narrative of the Noir fiction with extreme quality and depth of understanding. The story is so involving, i stayed up deep into the night, just to find out what the story kept from me, and what would happenI've read the negative reviews to find what people complain about the most. It was "lack of gameplay and unending cut-scenes." I love the Noir genre, and this game implements the narrative of the Noir fiction with extreme quality and depth of understanding. The story is so involving, i stayed up deep into the night, just to find out what the story kept from me, and what would happen next. The game balances action (player shooting) with the story-telling (cinematic interludes) and thus moves the whole plot with highly lubricated efficiency. I really-really enjoyed this game for this specific quality - ability to grab me, plunge into the story, which as a player i am part of to such an extent that i cannot stop playing. Amazing game. Expand
  87. Jan 11, 2014
    Max Payne 3

One of the best TPS games i've ever played. His wife and daughter's gone and became a killer contracter in Brazil, San Paulo. He find himself trapped between the vast culture of American - Brazillian. Unable to understand their language and things turning bad on him. Pros: 1. Good story plot and twist. Intense action. 2. Controls that feels smooth. 3. Great
    Max Payne 3

One of the best TPS games i've ever played.

Pros:
    1. Good story plot and twist. Intense action.
    2. Controls that feels smooth.
    3. Great performance (on PC) and doesn't feel like a poor console port. Frame rate is generally better than other titles from the same game developer studio (e.g. GTA IV).

Cons:
    1. Playthrough is too short, 5 hours for me on medium difficulty.
    2. Sometimes, cover is too unlimited. Ubsurd spawn of enemies near staircase and areas with cover. Tests a lot on stealth and agility.
    3. Extremely huge file size for a single game, probably due to the large amount of cutscenes (Don't get me wrong, the cutscenes looks amazing).
  88. Mar 31, 2014
    Over the top blatantly stupid and hilarious. Pure fun.
    Now - to get this straight - this game isn't for anybody and especially the first hour is painful because there is pretty much nothing but cutscenes. And this pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the game.
    Where's the fun in it? The game is basically a satire of Man on Fire (plotwise) with an over the top **** up Max Payne
    Over the top blatantly stupid and hilarious. Pure fun.

Where's the fun in it?
    The game is basically a satire of Man on Fire (plotwise) with an over the top **** up Max Payne talking nothing but garbage and how miserable everything is. This all however in a voice that makes it seem like they were being serious.
    While the game's self-awareness might be subtle at first glance it becomes pretty clear the more you progress in the game constantly getting close ups of you being killed, enemies being killed and exponentially raising the body count.

This however is a lot different to the atmosphere of the first 2 installments of Max Payne - but those were different times and afaic it would have felt outdated if they sticked with it.
    Instead we get a satiric approach to the action game genre with the main focus on story telling.

Now to the bad parts:
    Last shot feature often **** up and you hang in there for 15 seconds waiting until you can finally hit continue
    Shooting from cover sometimes **** up
    Quite a few times you get thrown into enemies shooting at you literally half a second after the cutscene is finished and you not being in cover.

Personal Overall score: 93%
  89. Jan 6, 2014
    Clearly a good follower of the series.
    Rockstar did a good job with this game.
    Max's voice is present, as well as interior monologue.
    Locations great, furious action, slow motion much better implemented. And last but not least, great optimization.
    Also there are several locations that will delight the nostalgic
  90. Dec 3, 2014
    Este juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el arco argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadas creoEste juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el arco argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadas creo que el cambio de narrativa refresco el juego el cual lo necesitaba y los escenarios estan MUY bien elaborados.

Mi calificacion 10/10
  91. Mar 30, 2014
    The best Third Person Shooter i've ever played. It was kinda hard to complete some parts of the game but thse story, graphics and controls are just awesome! I really recommend this game (Even if you haven't played other "Max Payne" games.
  92. Mar 10, 2014
    Loved it, nice action, nice graphics, story is good, it's like a movie, forget about been super realistic, it's more like a novel, loved it. Also as a multilingual person, I loved how Portuguese sounded through the whole game, much like Elite Squad, Spanish was ok, but that gave the game an extra touch of immersion. Very nice game, totally recommending it.
  93. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is pretty godamn good. The best thing is that it's like modern games but it stays true to the series. The shooting is solid and also the cover system. The Bullet Time is cooler than ever but the **** annoying video affects shouldn't be in the game even if they wanted to show that Max is in hangover. This game is very good and you should buy it.
  94. May 27, 2014
    Egyszerűen remek játék volt. Történet persze ismerős lehet de a játék dinamikája és a hangulata oda szegez a géphez és nem enged... A fő szereplőt a lehető legjobban találták el, azonosulni pedig 1-2 ember biztos fog (köztük én is) majd vele. A zenék pedig zseniálisak itt ott noir de ez miért lenne baj... Remélem lesz Max Payne 4 is...
  95. Dec 15, 2014
    Max Payne 3 is the last game in the trilogy Max Payne, which is developed and published by Rockstar Games (R *). In Max Payne 3 continues the story of Detective Max Payne city New York City. Max begins a new life working private security and protection specifically for a family in the San Paulo, Brazil. When you put the target on the family clans, Max has no choice but to save their lives.Max Payne 3 is the last game in the trilogy Max Payne, which is developed and published by Rockstar Games (R *). In Max Payne 3 continues the story of Detective Max Payne city New York City. Max begins a new life working private security and protection specifically for a family in the San Paulo, Brazil. When you put the target on the family clans, Max has no choice but to save their lives. From what I know, the game stayed a lot of time in development, but, in my opinion, even a game came out so good that I take at least 10 hours related to PC. Animation and frameworks that have been used games give an air of film, which can sometimes feel like you're watching a movie.

Story 14/15
    Extra 4/5
    Replay Value 5/5

Last score: 96
  96. Nov 24, 2014
    I have tried out hundreds of games this year and finished none of them. But THIS was what I was waiting for! A truly magnificent game in every respect. Captivating story line, fantastic graphics and physics, and very enjoyable gameplay. I don't think I can fault this game. The detail in the little things gives this game great character. From the hilarious tv stations to Max playing hisI have tried out hundreds of games this year and finished none of them. But THIS was what I was waiting for! A truly magnificent game in every respect. Captivating story line, fantastic graphics and physics, and very enjoyable gameplay. I don't think I can fault this game. The detail in the little things gives this game great character. From the hilarious tv stations to Max playing his favorite tune on the piano before being thrown into yet another heroic gun battle. It not only kept all the charm of the previous series, but has managed to add so much more! Well done Rockstar for creating another piece of unforgettable video game history! Expand
  97. Dec 20, 2014
    FANTASTIC game. One of the best action games i have ever play. I found better from previous max payne games because may payne 3 has better gameplay, more locations , good story and is ROCKSTAR... A must buy. MAX PAYNE 3 deserve BETTER sales. I hope for similar max payne 4 from Rockstar
  98. Mar 9, 2015
    "There it was, like a cheap bottle of bourbon at a discount liquor store, on sale and just begging for me to play it; I knew I was in for a long night." And indeed I was, because 'Max Payne 3' is one of the best stories that I've watched unfold in quite a while. Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking that this game has far too many cut-scenes for anyone to find the story even"There it was, like a cheap bottle of bourbon at a discount liquor store, on sale and just begging for me to play it; I knew I was in for a long night." And indeed I was, because 'Max Payne 3' is one of the best stories that I've watched unfold in quite a while. Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking that this game has far too many cut-scenes for anyone to find the story even remotely engrossing, that nobody buys a game to watch it - they buy it to play it, and I probably would have agreed with you early on in the story. But after around the third act, I stopped caring that the cut-scenes were constantly interrupting the gameplay, and sat back and began treating 'Max Payne 3' as a fantastic interactive movie, eagerly awaiting the next scene to move the story along.

"All that is gold does not glitter, or at least that's what I was told before the world decided to stab me in the back and twist the knife." Another aspect that made this game extremely fun to watch is how pretty the graphics are, and how stylized the look feels while maintaining that gritty undertone that made the original 'Max Payne' so enjoyable. The action here is on par with what you would expect from a blockbuster movie, the writing is just as clever as the earlier 'Max Payne' games, and hearing Max speak that drunken philosophy of a man who has it all figured out but just doesn't care is great to hear again. The entire game just feels very reminiscent of the earlier releases, while managing to feel fresh and new at the same time.

"They say it's the small things that make life worth living, funny, I guess I never got that memo." I love how 'Max Payne' takes out some of the most annoying aspects of games these days. Like having to press a button to climb a ladder, or open a door, or interact with anything. Or how Max automatically reloads his gun or begins to walk just before a cut-scene. It's tiny details like this that made this game especially enjoyable for me to play through. Aside from that 'Max Payne 3' stays fairly true to the original, and I know some people really hated the addition of cover, but for me, it still feels like the 'Max Payne' that I grew up loving. If you were a fan of the Max Payne of old, you're sure to like the new and improved one as well. "It was over faster than it began, like an hour with a harlot, the time had come to finish."
  99. Feb 28, 2015
    I'm not sure why this game did not get the attention it deserves, maybe Rockstar saved money on the marketing of this game for GTA V. However, I personally feel this game is one of the best Rockstar titles. The shooting is fun and challenging. Some people were disappointed due to the unskippable cutscenes. I agree they should have made it possible to skip them but they really make the gameI'm not sure why this game did not get the attention it deserves, maybe Rockstar saved money on the marketing of this game for GTA V. However, I personally feel this game is one of the best Rockstar titles. The shooting is fun and challenging. Some people were disappointed due to the unskippable cutscenes. I agree they should have made it possible to skip them but they really make the game immersive and movie-like. First playthrough I did not skip anything because I was genuninely intrigued by the story and voice acting. When replaying missions though, they do get boring but it's not really a big issue for me though. I still found myself playing through all the levels over and over again, collecting the golden guns. The gameplay mechanics are very comfortable. The controls are well refined, which is a huge problem in many of the recent games. The animations are fluid and the gameplay is just really fast. The shooting is very satisfying especially when you see the bullets in slow motion decimating the goons. The game is challenging at times especially if you play on hard, but I was never stuck on any level for too long. This may be a small thing but the ambience and music is also very fitting and motivating. I absolutely love the soundtrack. To summarise, I think this game is absolutely brilliant and very entertaining. I had more fun playing this than GTA V honestly. If you are considering buying this game, I'd say just go for it. Expand
  100. May 26, 2015
    My opinion!: My favorite game of all time, played it through 5-6 times and I just keep going back every 5-6 months. There's just some kind of satisfaction I get from this game, the 80's action movie style of this game just melts my brain. It's just too perfect for me. My favorite soundtrack too... Just so weird... Max Payne will you marry me?
  101. Jul 29, 2012
    The gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room onThe gameplay is old fashioned arcade style, and therefore often starts a level from cutscene of you literally running into the fight guns blazing. This doesn't allow for the same old strategies most fps gamers have accustomed to, and therefore has caused a great deal of butthurt amongst youngsters who feel they should be allowed to pick what weapon he has out and get to enter the room on their own accord.
    The whole novelty of this game is that some of the game plays style actually predates the first Max Payne game, while using truly up to date graphics and a remarkably cutting edge game engine.Plus some modern touches like the cover system.
    There isn't much re-play value and the multi-player system is rather weak, but if you have the Hardware to play this at it's full graphical glory then I highly recommend it. Also there are some audio issues if you try to use spdif to dts surround I believe due to dx9 audio. So if your computer is integrated into your home stereo system that way, then set it for stereo instead of surround or use headphones (it sounded great through my akg701s). Be sure to check graphic card compatibility and such before you buy the game and to download the latest drivers, because I've read some reviews where people with the wrong hardware where having hissy fits. For example a mac user duel booting into windows... that review was hilarious

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]