7.5

1. Dec 3, 2014
    Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game,Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game, buy it. Otherwise, stay away. Expand
  2. Dec 1, 2014
    I paid the game and the game got installed. It just didn't work on PC. Tons of people have issues with the Rockstar social club overlay.
    A few days after my purchase, I still can't play. The money I spent is not for entertainment. It was spent for doing quality assurance for Rockstar's social club.
  3. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, it makes no sense to see him so depressed about his family and Mona's death, if you finished the second one on the hardest difficulty she survived and came to terms with the loss of his family...
    Secondly, this games focus in on slomo gun-play, not narrative... and the comic book style of narrative delivery is replaced with long cut-scenes
    Thirdly, the focus Isn't on Max (and/or his relationship with Mona) it is on some rich snobs who employed him
    I could go on but, Its not a terrible game, assuming that you have NOT played the first two before otherwise itll be hard not to judge it harshly
  4. Sep 27, 2014
    Awful.

Gameplay and interface are heavy consolized. You can't find here a rapid adrenaline action, like in previous games, just a hours of boring shooting from the covers. Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game,
    Awful.

Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game, because I started wanting to drop it after first hour - and the plot only making more blunt after it. Seriously, the one of the worst storyline in AAA-videogames ever, including Call of Duties.

Visual style and soundtrack scores solid 0/10
  5. Sep 21, 2014
    For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.

**** Rockstar for **** all over the PC versions of their games. This will be the last Rockstar title that I buy.
  6. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  7. Aug 13, 2014
    There is no Max Payne 3. It looks nice, it is out there along with all the other good looking games, it has all the whistles and bells for a good decent game, you know, the gangsta stuff R.star is good at. But this is not Max Payne 3. Play MP 1&2 and my affirmation will make sense.
  8. Jun 24, 2014
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter... You are forced to do Railroad like missions, you can't move like you want in missions (and you could move where ever you want in the good old max payne games, like in the hotel mission or the other crazy cool missions). Now you are
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter...
    Now you are forced to walk in one direction and if you fail, reload at checkpoint and try again.
    There are also VERY ANNYOING Railroad missions, like you are sitting in a helicopter and you are forced to shoot enemys...if you fail, do it again WTF? I want move with Max payne and kill the enemys on my way!
    This is the worst thing they could do with the max payne series.
    I had not fun with the new max payne...the multiplayer was is okay, but the singleplayer isn't good...
    Like AVGN would say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"
    Please go back to roots!
  9. Vex
    May 13, 2014
    This game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th timeThis game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th time after getting killed in the stupidest way possible. It is not possible to approach problems stealthily, use tactics or any kind of planning; instead the game will often do the stupidest thing - Max will open a big door to a room full of enemies (big surprise) and literally throw himself in the midst of them, trying to shoot them up using slo-mo instead of staying where he is and taking them out from there.

The only saving grace of this game is nice graphics and really good voice acting. It appears as though Rockstar wanted to make a movie instead of a game. It plays like a half-baked shooter from 1998.

What a waste of time. Avoid.
  10. Mar 19, 2014
    Very nice and moody graphics. But not the graphics is, what I'm rating. MP3 is a movie, but you have to press buttons and click your mouse to proceed. Looks like there's lot of work put in this product, but what's the most important, what made previous Max Paine great game is disappointing.
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game and have some fun.
  11. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let theThis game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let the game respawn you just a few meter behind your death with full hp, making painkillers much more usless. And this is all on hard. The difficulty of the max payne games drops as the year they're made in increases.
    And not to mention the devs seems like they felt unoriginal enough to hop on the "lets pretend we came up with these locations in some far country where terrorist operate" train. The game has lost its original dark feeling of max payne 1 and 2. You are just a soldier working for others. And terrorists feel like killing people.
  12. Feb 4, 2014
    An ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. TheAn ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. The graphics are good (its a huge 31GB download). Some of the set pieces feel like any bland console shooting gallery (on-rails section complete with inaccurate overheating machine gun and unlimited ammo). Flaws aside, Rockstar has made a decent game that still has enough 'Max Payne' in it, but I cant help but think Remedy (who made the first Max Payne games, and the excellent Alan Wake) could have done better. Worth the steam sale price. Expand
  13. Dec 29, 2013
    REQUIRES: Rockstar Social Club.
    REQUIRES: Rockstar Social Club.
    Any game that requires a Gamer to register on an online account is a major FAIL to me, especially if i don't intend to play on-line. Why do Companies want Gamers to register before letting them play? Oh, no there is nothing dubious there, nothing suspicious! No, no! Spam? Advertisement?! Nooooo! Come on! Profile tracking, location, spying?! No no no! Absolutely nothing of that sort!
    So, why do you make us register, pray tell...
    I am pretty tired of "Social Club's", "xBox Live's" and so on; and if i wanted to get into registering my profile (on different sites for different games), i would get a console. But i have a PC.
    On another yet happier nope bought the game on Steam, and it does not start, giving a "Steam Error Failed to Contact Key Server". Read through the Forum before you buy the game; however, i would not recommend something that DOES NOT WORK and REQUIRES YOU TO REGISTER ON-LINE to play even a single player (also, read the requirements on the box/Steam).
    MAJOR FAIL.
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity.
  15. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens. Many opponents are triggered. And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  16. Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to a shooter-gallery that holds your hand and treats you like a drooling idiot!

I could mention and rage about the fact, that max payne took 100 steps away from his noir-feeling and awesome comic-strip-storytelling. I could rage about his MTV-like flickering tranistions in the unskippable chores of cutscenenes. I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing

I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing account-hell called "Rockstar Club".
    (after denying my fresh created account-data it gave me some random name and let me wait for another 15 minutes. Although my steam account should be enough!?)
    But I will start with the one (not even that) positive thing in this "Game":
    The Animations.
    Enemies move smoothly from cover to cover and dodge our bullets with well animated moves.
    But thats it. I can't think about one other nice thing the game contributed.

The Shootouts feel challenging but not right. Someone wrote that Max Paynes Cover IS the bullet-Time. And so it shouldn't feel so useless with forced in cover-mechanics and Insta-Deaths!
    The Gunfights are mostly a short coverbased casual-bore between the force-fed cutscenes.

The rest of the game seems to give a shat about he player and puts a fishinghook through our nose to drag us from one flickering cutscene to the next.
    Rockstar seems to think we are all brainless dumbsters. Too stupid to use a mouse and shoot at things.
    Best and most hilarious example is the first (short) "Tutorial" that makes us read how we move the mouse and press the left butten.
    Seriously!
    I couldn't believe how patronizing and blatant despising this looks.
    WTF?! You think I am too stupid to shoot at things in a shootergame?!

And why do you have to force me watching your flickering cutscenes for people with the attention-span of a hyperactive toad?! I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. This is just a proof of a failing gaming industry that chums up with the brainless crazies that swarm like zombies into a black friday shopping riot.

I really don't know if I have to feel sorry for you or feel angry. In either way I hope you get bankrupt after the cod-kiddies that consume everybit of your "interactive entertainment" are bored once more and need another stimulating kick in their burnt up synapses.

I regret even spending the little money on the autumn-sale on Steam for this abomination.

Max Payne 3. A maximum payne in the....
  17. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers thatThis game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers that mentioned the game plays more like a movie, than a game you're continously loosing control of your character. Expand
  18. Nov 7, 2013
    The makers of this game must have paid the critics to get such a high score. This game is absolutely atrocious. There isn't a single aspect of this game that is fun, aside from the bullet time action. But even that get's old, when that is all you're doing.

The game's camera and visual effects get old after 10 min of play..and they get downright distracting and painful to look at the longer you play the game. And I use the term "play" very loosely here, because you mostly spend looking at crappy shaky camera cut scenes. with a bit of running around and then just shooting enemies over...and over again. This game has not redeeming qualities, because even the bullet time action gets old because you have to use it CONSTANTLY, because the cover system sucks, and there is no strategy involved at all.

I would give this game a 0, but I'll give it a 2 because bullet time is fun for about 5 min, and there is one water level that's a bit fun. Otherwise, don't bother playing this game, and for the love of god DON'T BUY IT! Spend your money on something you'll actually get to play and won't give you seizures.
  19. Oct 25, 2013
    How can people praise this game? It's mostly cutscene after cutscene, your lucky if you get to walk down an alley before going to another cutscene. I don't recommend this game at all, the little actual game play is nothing great and it's more of an animated movie.
  20. Oct 19, 2013
    A bunch of shooting galleries inter-spaced with long cut scenes. Despite the decent graphics this game is simply not that entertaining. The fact that I had to sign up for a special account to play the game didn't help my opinion of the game.
  21. Oct 3, 2013
    Unfortunately as much as I tried liking this game, it is a complete fail on several crucial levels.

PROs: 1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after

PROs:
    1) Euphoria. Though it isn't as awesome or revolutionary as some of the people online make it sound. As it stands now, Euphoria barely changes anything in the shooter genre and hardly ever looks any different to regular ragdoll physics. Besides, the novelty effects wears out after 3-4 levels. It simply isn't that special. The amount of time spent improving the tech since the 2008 GTA IV release doesn't show.

2) Some of the levels have that special touch that makes them a genuine pleasure to navigate and explore, on the other hand, there is plenty of derivatively dull map design as well (perhaps, it makes the majority of this game).

CONs:
    1) Cutscenes. Constant cutscenes, to the extent of wanting to exit the game. I am at a loss as to what they were trying to achieve with a few hours of engine-rendered storytelling. Games are about doing, controlling your character. If I want passive storytelling, I'll watch a movie, engine-rendered cinematics (mo-capped or not) are no match for live action photography. Crappy shaky camera effects, interlaced wording flashing on screen (supposedly to emphasize the dire emotions communicated thus). Why undermine the medium? That was plain silly. They poured time and resources on destroying what the original Max Payne had been executing flawlessly with some drawn static comic book loading screens.

2) Writing. The cutscene annoyance's been amplified by the witless, moronic writing. I find it hard to put it into words, but it's simply bad and keeps repeating itself like hell: booze, remorse, need to push forward, "I am probably a fool for doing this, but hell..." Do they keep some emotional idiots at rockstar just for such scripts? Not to mention it sports a thousand film clichés and blatantly rips off some of them (as well as ripping off some games).

3) Clunky controls. Poorly implemented cover system, that is plain unwieldy to use, not to mention you get shot 9 out of 10 times when using it. The floating camera mechanics is badly done too, you get shot when turning corners and take massive damage without even having the slightest chance of evaluating the situation. This leads to you having to replay those sections of the game, which hampers the sense of story flow and messes with your game progress (kinda like cheating, knowing that there is a dude behind the corner, so you jump out slo-mo).

The graphics is really nothing special either. Overall this game makes a silly impression. Sorry for all the artistic that went in to it (meaning the man-hours spent modeling and animating this turkey).
  22. Oct 1, 2013
    Here is summary of this "exciting" game. Cutscene (unskippable) playing time will be MUCH LONGER than your game play time. Cutscene, press mouse, cutscene showing the result of your shoot, move, cutscene, shoot, cutscene, player positioned in a dangerous position, shoot, custscene........... cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, cutscene, game ends.

Thank you for watching a boring film introduced by R*.
  23. Sep 18, 2013
    Literally the worst max payne ever... the history is normal ,but the Game is a big bunch of Lags issues .BUT THE WORST Thing in Max payne 3 is the multiplayer... For god's sake who's done that... Who decideded to that the guy who will be shot in a hand will be killed?! AND SOCIAL CLUB.. It's a bit complicated and boring
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    average cover based shooter. completely agree with wilddeer's review below. save me writing one

25. Aug 22, 2013
    The best part of the game is it's graphics. Graphics however do not make a game. The story is forced and unoriginal being ripped from a subpar movie. Max payne deserves a better story than a sub par movie plot.
  26. Aug 19, 2013
    A frustrating and maddening game primarily because of the way it was implemented.

Cutscenes and slow-mo cams killed this game. You spend about 3 minutes shooting people and once you just about got into the groove, a cut scene ensues and it breaks the pacing. Another silly thing implemented was that you would automatically slow down when going past an object relevant to the game. Case in point: At some point you will be fighting in a building and you are meant to attach some objects to the pillars. You can be running around and all of a sudden, you just slow to a crawl simply because you are going past a pillar.

Slow-mo cams. The annoying part of the game is when you are just about to die, the game goes into some slow-mo mode that the devs must have thought cool, but it isn't. What's irritating about it is that you automatically do a flying lunge (often on your back) and the game slows down taking on some saturated look and you're left desperately hunting for the cross hair (which has changed position, often way off the mark because the view has switched to some awful position that often is behind a wall or such that you appear to be viewing things out of your arse) to kill the person who was causing you so much damage. Once that's accomplished, you end up remaining on the floor and in a dilemma because if you stand, you get hit and there's no option to reliably get back into cover or crouch automatically.

Next, scripted actions. When you enter any room or reload, you automatically end up with a pistol. No matter if you are carrying the baddest assed gun in the game, you end up with the pistol. This is fine for the early bits, but when you are faced with enemies wearing body armour and carrying assault rifles and outnumbering you 7:1, you don't want a puny pistol that has only 8 rounds in the mag. What's worse is that the time it takes to change means that the enemies are often right on top of you because that's the way the game was scripted.

Also, there's a strange bug that causes you to lose control of the keyboard and you end up defaulting into the aimed mode but you can fire or jump or anything except walk at a slow pace. This happens even in the midst of a firefight and has caused several reloads. Silly video effects like wavy cams, blue-red distortions and other necessary effects destroy all that's left of this once fun franchise (see Max Payne and Max Payne 2).

In conclusion, stay away from this and other Rockstar North games until they sort their sh it out. Better yet, wait for it to come down even lower in a couple more years when it's in the bargain bin or on some sale. Rockstar needs to be taught a lesson via their income statement to stop developing half-assed movies that masquerade as a game. If I wanted a movie, I'd pay for it (cheaper) and sit with my spouse in either the comfort of my home or in a theatre and eat chips and drink sodas and not frustrate myself with this movie-on-rails. That's right, you could hardly qualify this as a shooter even.
  27. Aug 7, 2013
    There is potentially a great game here, marred by excessive use of cut-scene's, many of which seem completely unnecessary and interrupt otherwise great action scenes.

The downtime in a game should be for exploration and recuperating but this game allows for little to none of that. While i understand that pacing is important, I found that the frequency with which control was taken from me served only to frustrate me.

Then, to further my frustration, the game decides that every time you enter a cut-scene you must switch to your pistol or smg to take out the baddies regardless of whether or not you are holding a rifle or not. then it would throw a tonne of baddies at you and laugh as you fumble around trying to get that rifle out again.

Just so many things done so wrong and it's a shame because the story and characters are so well done.

Avoid, it's not worth the Payne...
  28. Aug 2, 2013
    Bought during summer sales, one of the rare games that i find its a chore to play. many reviewers mentioned that the game has too many cut scenes and i share this argument. the game mechanics is also flawed, often a cut scene will leave you wide open to various assaults, which results to instant death on higher difficulties.

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be

the games controlls are also bad, while mouse can be calibrated to your needs the crosshair moves depending on where you are at cover. this leads to more frustrating moments where you pop up to take a shot only to realise that the crosshair is somewhere else

bullet time is also not used often cause its rather pointless, the cramped and dense surroundings would mean that majority of the time you will hit something and lay vulnerable to gunfire

dont buy unless dirt cheap, like steam sales
  29. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talkingI'm a long time fan of the Max Payne games. Max Payne 1 blew my mind, Max Payne 2 was an awesome sequel, but Max Payne 3 is something completely different in a bad way. When I played Max Payne 3 the first thing that disappointing me was the lack of gritty atmosphere. I was hoping for something like in the previous Max Payne games, some sad, depressing music with depressed Max Payne talking every now and then. Next the story, simply putting it, it was cheesy as hell. Then the gameplay, why did they have to make it as a checkpoint game. The usual ''save whenever you want'' way is much better and less frustrating. The only good thing that I can say is about the graphics, they are pretty good, but that's it. A huge disappointment for me as a Max Payne fan. Expand
  30. Jul 12, 2013
    A few months ago i went to play max payne 1 and 2 since i looked for good classic games that i've missed.
    I played max payne 1 and i've beat it and i LOVED it. i loved the weapon collecting I remember so well from classic action games like half life and C&C renegade, i loved the story and the good set of characters, i loved the non-rechargeble health and i've liked the film noire cartoon style cutscenes.
    I went then to play the sequel- Max Payne 2, and i really loved it. i liked the return of good characters from max payne 1 and i liked the special abilities and the new physics engine.
    Then I went to play Max Payne 3, and I was DISSAPOINTED!!! 2 weapons limit, ruined bullet time, bad PC port, all of this I could forgive, but the things that made me hate this game and quit playing it forever are that there are NO returning characters, NO good plot that connects in NO way to the plot of the original remedy titles, and NO film noire and NO cartoon style cutscenes!
    now, if you didn't play the original 2 games you might like this game, but who am I kidding, go buy those games they're 5 dollars each on steam, and they worth way more than that. and if you did play the original max payne and max payne 2, you'll probably wouldn't like this game.
  31. Jul 9, 2013
    Between crashes I played this game. It should be called Crash Payne 3. And crashes aren't the half of it: scenery often doesn't load, in some cases it's so bad you can fall through it! And no, check the date of this review, this isn't what I experienced on or near its launch date. This is a full year after release and it's still broken to hell.

Action is clunky and repetitive, with

Action is clunky and repetitive, with bullet time frequently interrupted when so much as Max' little toe clips the edge of the over-crowded scenery. It doesn't feel like a gun-kata ballet of death. It feels like white guys dancing at a wedding to gangsta rap.

South America as the location was a mistake. In MP1 and 2, the city was a character in the story. In MP3, we don't care about the setting or who Max is trying to protect (a bunch of rich people yay!). We don't even care much about Max. In MP1 and 2 it was about his wife and his life. In MP3 he's just a loser. What little redemption is managed comes way too late for anyone to care.

To obfuscate the weak setting and plot, the game jumps all the hell over, with flashbacks to NYC, some boat, and other places so thinly realized I can't really remember them.
  32. Jun 8, 2013
    It's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. TheIt's gunfest, body count nonsense from Rockstar, who persist with the stupity of their lounge and ruin a good story with inept, unsubtle game design, excessive cutscenes and game play that even on easy (yes I am rubbish, but I should still be able to enjoy a game without having to retry staged fight scenes 10 times before I luck in and complete them) can be difficult and irritating. The default reticle, a small whit dot, is notable by it's invisibilty and seems to be in the wrong place compared to Max and his guns which makes aiming very difficult.

All in all a very disappointing experience compared to the first two games.
  33. Jun 7, 2013
    I have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few ofI have yet to get any Rockstar game to run. I don't have any problem with other games, just Rockstar. First I spend hours to overcome the "Corrupt License" error and then I'm completely stumped with the "cannot contact activation server, try again later" error. I threw $30 down the drain, but worse is the time I wasted trying to recover it. I see many other users complaining and few of them get resolution. I will never buy another Rockstar game. Ever. Expand
  34. May 20, 2013
    This is NOT Max Payne, this is John McClain in Die Hard The Interactive Movie. Plagiarism.
    Max Payne used to be a fast paced shooter with lots of enemies. In Max Payne 3 you always sit behind cover. Makes bullet time kind of useless,max payne? Bullet Time??? Bullet Time also used to be different. With different, i mean better, and more fluent. So gameplaywise this game sucks.
    Storywise
    Storywise this games is also Give Max Payne back to Remedy, Prickstar f...ups, k thank you.
  35. May 18, 2013
    Fell asleep after playing two hours. Shoot cut scene, shoot cut scene nothing else. Avoid this game if you have no insomnia. Can't believe how this game get a 8+ score.
  36. May 17, 2013
    I own all 3 max payne and I absolutely loved the first two games. I've went through both of them many times. The action was awesome and the shooting was very satisfying, combined to a nice story and cool ambiance, I had a blast playing them. It is very different for max payne 3 as the list of irritating stuff stacks sky high.

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time...

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time... and by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME. It totally destroys immersion and annihilates all chances for the game to build any pace at all. Most of the cutscenes could be removed out of the game and it wouldn't change the story at all (especially since like 50% of the cutscenes are max drinking and falling asleep. Yeah ok, we get it...)

Speaking of redundant cutscenes, max payne was quite the bad ass in other games and you could sympathize with him but when they make you run around the world to save tasteless characters (the dumb blonde and all the brazilian family), you understand that it's to make up for his past but at some point you start wondering why he even gives a damn anymore...

Something that started pissing me off early in game too is the fact that every time you run out of health, the game slows down so you can get a "saving shot" off. At first it's a cool feature but it gets annoying ultra fast as the levels get more crowded: later on, most of the time you can't even get that shot off because there is something in the way or you just can't aim at the target at all. Forget it if you're using a grenade launcher, the grenades are so slow they can't even detonate in time, making the GL way too risky to even use. Oh and what makes this even more of a pain in the ass is that when you're in slow mode and you know you're doomed, the "restart at last checkpoint" option in the menu is unaccessible, so you have to suffer through the entire thing before you can do anything.

Another thing that ruined it for me is that it seems the AI has way too good aiming sometimes. They don't even know you're there and the next nanosecond you get headshot. I don't know how many times this happened. Not only that but it seems like when you use the UZZIs in automatic mode, you shoot all over the place but the AI seems to be able to snipe a fly a thousand yards away with them. Now the cover system is pretty good but it's often entirely negated due to the "encounter" pattern that is always the same: you ALWAYS end up in a big open area, a wave of baddies spawn and then you're pinned down by like 10 dudes. Not only it's about impossible to avoid getting hit a few times but the second you think "yay I'm safe, let's leave cover to get ammo and painkillers" WRONG! As soon as you get far away enough from cover, a second wave spawns in your face. Also, sometimes you try to get cover without the cover system (by cutting angles with most enemies so you can get them into view one by one) but max payne's aiming angle is so awkward that often you get shot by targets you can't even see. Most firefights are so frustrating that it takes the fun out of shooting stuff up... That's saying a lot.

Another few minor annoyances that sounded the alarm the very first seconds I opened the game for the first time: when you get in the game it says press enter to continue at the bottom of the screen... but when you press enter, it does nothing. You have to click the text... Speaking of which, have the people doing the port played a computer game in the last 10 year? Seriously, who uses enter anymore to navigate menus? Well for max payne 3 they decided to do it all the time. Also, for some reason, the mouse is ultra slow in the menus (menus only) for a reason I ignore. Minor stuff you'll tell me... Of course, but it just adds frustration on top of all the other issues.

Add very bland stages with very little variation to that and a bunch of glitches all over the place (from bugged cutscenes that you can't skip so you have to ALT+F4 out to weird convulsing ragdolls) you have a game that has disaster written all over it. I pretty much always finish the games I buy even if I find them tedious but I uninstalled this one about 75% through. I only paid 10$ for it during a steam sale and I still feel ripped off.
  37. May 11, 2013
    I give it a big goose egg (0). I shouldn't have to go into all my modem settings just to get the game that I bought to work.
    I have no other problems with online games unless I try to activate this game on "Rockstar Social".
    It's absolutely ludicrous. I've observed other people with this problem as well. Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this
    It's absolutely ludicrous.
    I've observed other people with this problem as well.
    Rockstar can kiss my ass because I will not buy another game from them with this horrible service.
  38. Apr 15, 2013
    Shoot all the baddies, cut-scene. Wash, rinse, repeat. Over and over and over again. And don't you dare hang around any longer than necessary, you'll get a rhetorical remark every 30 seconds to remind you that you have to press this button, walk through that door. No, you're not allowed to think for a second. Just shoot the baddies and follow the linear story.

Good: + Graphics + Max

Good:
    + Graphics
    + Max is back
    + Painkillers

Bad:
    - Game-play
    - Overdone and overused blurry effect
    - No puzzles
    - Never let's you think
    - Linear
    - Okay-ish story

Ugly:
    :( Max always pops out his handgun after a cut-scene, even when you had a rifle
    :( Camera is sometimes very bad, which makes you unable to kill a baddie sometimes
    :( Very bad AI
  39. Mar 28, 2013
    Absolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the gameAbsolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the game like MAX PAYNE you will be shot full of holes in an instant. Instead, the slow motion is there so you can hide in cover, activate slow motion, get an easy headshot, and repeat over and over for the entire game. You are forced to play the game in the most boring way possible to succeed, as the fun arcade action of the originals is completely gone. Expand
  40. Mar 20, 2013
    this has nothing to do with the original Max Payne 1 and 2. it's basically a bundle of cutscenes with occasional shooting. it's really embarrassing to call this thing a game. a game is something i would like to play, not to watch.
  41. Mar 19, 2013
    I'm not only complaining because this Max Payne doesn't feel any similar to the previous games that made him famous and appreciated. I'm complaining because behind a weak and predictable storyline, it doesn't let you enjoy the game with continuous cut-scenes and automated movements. It feels like Time Crysis!! Aim, shoot, change position. Aim, shoot, change position. VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!
  42. Mar 15, 2013
    Hahaha notice that all the reviews which give this game a 10 are posted 1-4th of June 2012, just when the game was released. I guess rockstar (wisely) didn't trust real gamers to write positive reviews.

Since the reviews wont tell you what you get with this game, I will: it's a bad console port. One can't change the controls, it is 100% corridor shooter, gameplay is run & gun for two minutes followed by a long cutscene, rinse and repeat.
    Graphics are fairly poor, gameplay is worse the handholding is so heavy and the cutscenes so frequent it's effectively a slightly interactive movie. Oh yeah, and it REQUIRES that you register online for a "social" account before you can play.

Possibly the most disappointing game I've played in two years. Really sad to see how far the Max Payne franchise has fallen.
  43. Mar 8, 2013
    I just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to yourI just hope anyone from Rockstar Games is reading this: it's about your GTA engine. DO NOT EVER attempt to make a game where a protagonist has to shoot ridiculous heaploads of enemies and where the plot kind of depends on that process. Your engine really kills the narrative. It just plain sucks for games like that. It is just not suited for games with a decent story at all. Stick to your GTA stuff (it is really good). THANKS A BUNCH! Expand
  44. Mar 7, 2013
    In a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself tooIn a word: disappointed. I’m a massive fan of the first two games and still play through them every now and them, but I have no intension of replaying Max’s latest adventure. Graphically the game is very good, but completely devoid of the noir that made the previous games so atmospheric. And where is the humour and the constant movie and TV references? It’s like it takes itself too seriously in a vain attempt to come across as “gritty”. The graphic novels have been replaced by lengthy and unskippable animated cutscenes that quickly become tiresome. And the story is dull and instantly forgettable. I managed to complete the game in two afternoons (for which I paid £30, so not good value for money). The action seems to have evolved into something more resembling COD and they have implemented a cover system that is crucial to survival. You spend most of the game crouched behind walls, popping out every now and then to take headshots. Bullet time is no longer centre stage gone are the dynamic and insanely fun fire fights of the previous games. The multiplayer is nothing special. It’s basically a 3rd person COD, with similar gamemodes, and a similar experience and perks system. The bullet time function is clumsy and doesn’t really work as all players in line of sight enter the mode with you when activated. In fact the multiplayer is already pretty much dead. After the dullness and dumbed-down experience of LA Noire and the mediocrity that was GTA IV, I strongly suspect that Rockstar has lost their way. It’s like they’ve forgotten what used to make their games so good. Expand
  45. Feb 22, 2013
    Cutscene, shooting gallery, bulletime. Rinse and repeat. The story was average, and so was the game play, and the fact that if you couldn't get past one point you could just restart it with full health and a couple extra painkillers really bugged the hell out of me, it took away the challenge.
    The one redeeming feature is that it's not a terrible PC port.
  46. Feb 14, 2013
    So disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance toSo disappointed. The biggest problems are technical, it's pretty much a craps shoot as to whether you will get it to run (Didn't run properly on my gamer PC, did run on gamer laptop at much reduced settings). So if you get over the technical, what do you get in the game? Cut scenes that make the Metal Gear Solid series look brief and uninspiring game play when you do get the chance to interact. nil points. Expand
  47. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only toI'm so happy I got this on the steam sale. Max Payne 3 is one of those games that make you clear one area, and after this you move on to the next. If you get killed, you have to start over again. Sometimes the 'areas' turn out to be much larger than one would have thought and after completing a challenging part of a level, you move on, looking around (more about this in a second) only to get shot and restart something that you already did. I know there are people that like this kind of thing: if that's you, you might like the game. But that's not the only shortcoming of the game.

I normally love games with a good story. Max Payne attempted to be cinematic, but it failed miserably. The way they created his character is just cheesy. You've got an ex-cop, who's a pill-popping alcoholic, who takes a bottle of pain killers and chases them down with a bottle of vodka or whiskey or whatever is his poison. All that Max does is complain about being a failure, monotonously. His wise-cracks are just like he is as a character: miserable and predictable. And, always banging on the same drum, ultimately boring. I know that sometimes protagonists of video games are supposed to be stereotypical, but its hard to find something less enthralling than a whining alcoholic. Other characters aren't much better. There also is a small technical plot hole. If you're bent on finding somebody, and time is of the essence, the game should encourage you to charge, or at least try to get to your goal ASAP. But it doesn't. Oh no. It does everything to discourage you, it even award you for not doing so. You have to find clues and parts of golden weapons as bonus objectives (remember when bonus objectives were a real part of games that made you do a level 5 or 6 times to get everything right?) Here its just the opposite. You have to canvas entire areas looking for something that might be a clue, or a weapon part. Which can be ludicrously hidden at times. Again, this isn't something new, and games such as Black had this.

The game also has too much cliches. You have the favellas bit (Fear 3, Modern Warfare 2), escaping a burning building (EVERYTHING last year)... What it lacks is innovation. And being fun.
  48. Jan 13, 2013
    I'm giving this game a zero because there are so many frustrating things about the playing experience that make me not want to play. I almost clicked uninstall just now but I'm going to wait and give it one more chance. My hopes are not high.

The story is really pretty decent and intriguing; I'd say the only thing that's kept me in the game this far. The actual game play and mechanics are abysmal and the game is wrought with bugs. I've had the same essential PC hardware for over 2 years (video card and processor, etc) and this is the first game that has ever caused a blue screen/crash. Approximately one out of every 5 times I take cover I get stuck in cover, cannot move, cannot peak out, aim or shoot and I have to wait until they shoot me to near death for it to animate me out or just restart the check point. It's bad enough that I mostly have to avoid the cover system.

Moving is awkward, clunky and slow. Mouse control/sensitivity is out of control. Luckily I have a mouse with a hardware button to adjust the DPI or I would not have been able to play this game at all. Aiming is still very clunky and predicting where your aim will go when leaving cover is nearly impossible.

There is an art style applied to the MANY cut scenes that you will want to hit someone for after the first 5 minutes. It looks like a VHF channel with signal problems on an old CRT television and they do it CONSTANTLY. Also the game will pull you out of actual game play into unskippable cut scenes without warning simply for stepping somewhere on the map. This often means you cannot go back to where you were before the cut scene which also means you can't collect items such as guns or ammo from enemies you just killed. Also fantastic is that your weapon selection is constantly changed FOR you during cut scenes and otherwise. Had dual pistols equipped? Maybe an assault rifle? Not anymore, now you just have one lousy pistol equipped and they've dumped you into a fire fight with a dozen bad guys. Enjoy that weapon switching too because it takes so long that you'll most likely get shot up while waiting for it or maybe even die. Overall there is a very low attention to detail in this game. Inconsistencies between scenes and cut scenes (can't keep track of what gun you're carrying). Very little player control and when you are in control it's just not very fun. What happens when you're in cover and you get shot close to death? You go into slow mo mode with a chance to kill the bad guy who shot you. This means you lose bullet time and you do an in place sideways dive of sorts so that you end up out of cover lying on your side. So even if you're able to win that little battle Max is so slow to get back up you'll probably just die again before you can get back to cover.

I REALLY can't believe that anyone play tested this and said "Yes, this is a fun game to play". It's a really embarrassingly bad game mechanically which ruins a pretty decent story experience.

P.S. Don't think that your game play actions have any actual effect on the outcome of events. The story and events are set in stone so you can fight your ass off for an hour and kill dozens or hundreds of bad guys only to have the entire purpose of your fighting undone in a 90 second cut-scene where suddenly you're powerless. Yay 1990's gaming!
  49. Jan 4, 2013
    I have been playing shooters on pc since Doom and Wolfenstine 3D and I must say the mouse aiming is just plain retarded. It just feels wrong like when you move it jumps 10 pixels at a time. Absolutely disappointed with rockstar on this one. I am so glad I only paid $14 with steam sale! I was a huge fan of MP 1 & 2. In multiplayer on any pc shooter "soft aim lock" should not even be anI have been playing shooters on pc since Doom and Wolfenstine 3D and I must say the mouse aiming is just plain retarded. It just feels wrong like when you move it jumps 10 pixels at a time. Absolutely disappointed with rockstar on this one. I am so glad I only paid $14 with steam sale! I was a huge fan of MP 1 & 2. In multiplayer on any pc shooter "soft aim lock" should not even be an option this is not xbox360 us pc gamers do not need any type of auto-aim, then again with the retarded mouse movement maybe we do on this one..... Expand
  50. Dec 30, 2012
    I gave it a 4/10 because I kept getting stuck in cover, so it was unplayable. I couldn't get further than the football stadium. Also, the normal level is quite difficult, you die all the time, then all those cut scenes are annoying. I did want to like it though.
  51. Dec 22, 2012
    Juego de pasillos donde los enemigos van saliendo por oleadas, no te da nada más, ni puedes hacer nada más, imposible salirte del guión establecido, todo marcado con checkpoints, muero, reinicio, muero, reinicio, avanzo 10 metros, otra oleada, historia clásica.
  52. Dec 16, 2012
    This is one of those games which could be pure awesomeness but developer obviously tried too hard and - FAILED. Graphics is good. Even gameplay is good. But... There are animated sequences all over the game. You can hardly play for 1-2 minutes without be interupted with animated sequence. Game is soo linear that even moving from 1 room to another is animated sequence. AI is terrible. ANDThis is one of those games which could be pure awesomeness but developer obviously tried too hard and - FAILED. Graphics is good. Even gameplay is good. But... There are animated sequences all over the game. You can hardly play for 1-2 minutes without be interupted with animated sequence. Game is soo linear that even moving from 1 room to another is animated sequence. AI is terrible. AND WORSE and most annoying thing is that when you die you are always returned on checkpoint BEFORE animated sequence which usually cannot be skipped. So each time you die you are forced to watch same sequence again. Without this things which make this game unplayable game would probably be 9 or 10! Expand
  53. Dec 14, 2012
    What drivel! It is everything I should have expected from a shooter made by Rockstar. The cut scenes are EVERYWHERE, interrupting the game play every few seconds so there is no flow to the game. I have never had problems with epilepsy but these cut scenes make me want to vomit, with all the "artsy" blurring and fading in and out. I understand that the protagonist is in a perpetual state ofWhat drivel! It is everything I should have expected from a shooter made by Rockstar. The cut scenes are EVERYWHERE, interrupting the game play every few seconds so there is no flow to the game. I have never had problems with epilepsy but these cut scenes make me want to vomit, with all the "artsy" blurring and fading in and out. I understand that the protagonist is in a perpetual state of intoxication, but you don't need to make me vomit as well. The weapon selection is pure crap and is obviously a port from the console version. I will have my 2 handed weapon selected when, yes, another cut scene interrupts. I am now released back into the action with my pistol selected instead of my more powerful primary and if I roll my mouse wheel the wrong direction, I drop my 2 handed weapon all together leaving me exposed in a firefight without my main weapon. Of course the painkillers are your friend, you WILL take a lot of damage, but they are scarce and not readily available. The controls are awful and clunky. The aiming recital disappears when not in use so when you enter a firefight you will need to fire off around before you can even attempt to aim. I don't like Rockstar to begin with, but after destroying one of my favorite classic games, I downright hate them. Save your money for a worthwhile game, this one is awful. Expand
  54. Dec 7, 2012
    This game is once again a proof that you cannot rely on critic reviews to buy games.
    This game is apart from a brilliant graphics extremely bad.
    This game is apart from a brilliant graphics extremely bad.
    This was my first Max Payne game so I cannot compare to the previous versions but the story line is bad, the narration is bad, the game evolution is bad, the game features are bad, the aiming is bad, the enemies suck, there is no challenge even in the hardest available level.
    In a couple of words, I didn't like this game, it was boring and 12 hours long (for 60
  55. Nov 28, 2012
    I have to agree with wilddeer. I've played the first two Max Paynes and all I can say is this is nothing like the first two max paynes. The game starts with a 10 minute movie and then after shooting at people for about 5 minutes I get another 10 minute cut-seen. Which wouldn't be bad except after the cut-seen max always finds the dumbest place to stop and hide behind. Can't hind behindI have to agree with wilddeer. I've played the first two Max Paynes and all I can say is this is nothing like the first two max paynes. The game starts with a 10 minute movie and then after shooting at people for about 5 minutes I get another 10 minute cut-seen. Which wouldn't be bad except after the cut-seen max always finds the dumbest place to stop and hide behind. Can't hind behind the steel counter, lets hide behind the 3 pieces of luggage in the middle of the airport. The other part I like about the game is the horrible computer A.I. it's always aiming at you (even through walls) and always knows where your at. I really love when after you kill the first wave and the 2nd wave magically appears and you have people shooting you in the back and since your health gets shot off so quickly since the computer always hits you and always hits you in the face. So here is the basic rundown of the game. First, 10 minute cut-seen, max then hides behind the dumbest object he can find and the shooting begins. You can either a) wait until your slow-mo bar fills up so you can actually kill somebody or b) try shoot at one of the 5-6 guys shooting at you at the same time at which point you get shot in the face. After the fight max always has some silly comment, which after hearing about him drinking or being screwed over for the umpteenth time you get to a point where you don't care. So in a nutshell, cut-seen, shootout, max **** cut-seen, shootout, max **** Fun...... Expand
  56. Nov 25, 2012
    My review is based on the PC version, NOT any console version!
    As a long time fan of the Max Payne series I have to say how disapointed I am by this drivel rockstar have seen fit to release. Lazy console port would sum this game up in short, but it would be unfair to label it thus without explaining why.
    My review is based on the PC version, NOT any console version!
    Visuals first: Well, not too bad, But for a PC game I expect far more. I would have liked more graphical options. I would have liked to see some emotion in the faces of the characters, they all look so wooden. Everywhere you go or look just seems a little too empty. This is supposed to be a gritty dark game but it reminds me of the latest Duke Nukem in the way it looks.
    Storyline/acting: Not too bad as a story, sort of, but the acting is awful. Not hammy awful, just really crap awful. Even worse than Mark Wahlberg was in the film...If that is at all possible!
    Gameplay: Poor really. Too many interrupting cut-scenes. The cover system causes more problems and makes you just as vulnerable as standing out in the open waving a big "shoot me" flag. Many times I have been killed because an enemy flanked me while I was in cover and as I have turned to try and shoot them the camera has flipped around and I have ended up facing completely the wrong way. The camera need to see through pillars and walls when you are in cover and you turn, not whizz round disorientating you like it does now.
    There seems to be lots of weapons in this game, the only problem I have with the weaponry is that the targeting reticule is tiny and it can be hard to figure out where you are aiming in the heat of battle. I would have liked the option to have a cross-hair or larger, more visible aiming point. (unless there is one in the options menu somewhere that I have overlooked)? Controls: It feels like moving through quicksand sometimes. Camera placing issues aside, it feels hard to accurately target your enemies. The movement of your character seems sluggish and there also seems to be some form of inertia when you try and stop behind pillars or wall ends. I found myself overshooting and then over compensating on many occasions, not good when under heavy fire.
    Reliability: I'm not sure which Max Payne 3 some people are playing, but I have had many problems running this game. Several crashes. Screen lockups, jittering and stuttering. Running slow and then skipping to my death scene for no apparent reason (and yes all drivers are up to date, it's the game not my computer).
    Overall: If you can get this game cheap (I paid £8 for it) then it is worth all of the 4 points I have given it, and It might be worth persevering with. As for full price? I wouldn't waste your money...Unless some seriously good patches come out to correct the shonky camera, control, crash and bug issues.
  57. Nov 23, 2012
    got this in a sale and it won't link with my steam account so because of the DRM I can't play it so I have no choice but to rate this game a zero but I am willing to change my review if the problem is fixed
  58. Nov 12, 2012
    Probably the worst game released in the last 5 years. It's like they decided to take a dump on the previous titles and make some quick cash. Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for putting out this crap.
  59. Nov 6, 2012
    It's a decent Tps but the problem is it's meant to be played with 360 and ps3 controllers. This means MP3 will feature a cover system to give you time aiming from behind your cover, OP moves like the shootdodge, Overshoulderview from gears of war to mess with your spatial awarness, zooming and slowing down to get 100% accuracy with whatever weapon like in cod, free camera for goons whoIt's a decent Tps but the problem is it's meant to be played with 360 and ps3 controllers. This means MP3 will feature a cover system to give you time aiming from behind your cover, OP moves like the shootdodge, Overshoulderview from gears of war to mess with your spatial awarness, zooming and slowing down to get 100% accuracy with whatever weapon like in cod, free camera for goons who can't turn the camera fast enough to aim. It's all stuff that doesn't belong to max payne games. I played it merely because there's no good tps exclusive on pc other than old games like Legions Overdrive, some mods, Gunz and the first Max Payne games. You can go on and play it but i think i'll go back playing the kung fu mod. Expand
  60. Oct 31, 2012
    Max Payne 3 can't decide whether it's a game or movie. It does both elements exceptionally well, but switches between them every 10 to 30 seconds. The first hour is pretty fun, but after that you'll come to loathe every unskippable cutscene or bulletcam sequence.

You will have to constantly battle the game for control. Half the time you can't tell whether you're in control or in a cutscene, because running, jumping and bullet time get disabled for no apparent reason, Max walks along a set path regardless of the direction you're looking, or the camera forces you to look at something.

To make matters worse, despite the constant theme of urgency, every level contains collectable pieces of "Golden Guns" that you have to explore every corner to find. As accidentally triggered cutscenes have a habit of blocking off visited locations, this quickly becomes tedious.

In short, this game is exceedingly frustrating. If Rockstar released a DLC that removed all the cutscenes, I'd buy it in a heartbeat; but until then, I regret paying money for this junk.
  61. Sep 29, 2012
    If you want to play GTA4 without cars and without open world - Max Payne 3 is for you. If you want good old Max Payne - don't bother. This is another game. Almost nothing in common. It is something like Kain & Linch, but shorter and with looooonger loadings/cutscenes.
    I can't say it's bad. It's almost OK. It is interesting that the main character is old drunk, and at least a first half of story is pretty solid average action movie scenario (don't know about other half). But you'll get something about 1 hour of real gameplay for a singleplayer, I think. And game mechanic is total crap for PC version.
  62. Sep 28, 2012
    The first playthrough was epic - fantastic gameplay and engaging story. However, subsequent playthroughs were frustrating due to the extremely long cutscenes. Multiplayer is mediocre. This game could be worth it if it were under $15.
  63. Sep 26, 2012
    It's a beautiful interactive movie. But when I want to play a game, I want to actually PLAY the game -- not watch it. A great game for the "I don't want to think for myself" generation.
  64. Sep 22, 2012
    Frustrating, annoying and disappointing. Only giving three points because of great graphics and atmosphere. Other than that this game is an absolute rubbish. Such a great potential this game had was wasted by making it into some unplayable movie. Not only that, everything was heavily scripted, there were unrealistic hordes of enemies coming from everywhere, many action scenes wereFrustrating, annoying and disappointing. Only giving three points because of great graphics and atmosphere. Other than that this game is an absolute rubbish. Such a great potential this game had was wasted by making it into some unplayable movie. Not only that, everything was heavily scripted, there were unrealistic hordes of enemies coming from everywhere, many action scenes were ridiculous and could be compared to some B-class video movies of 80's etc. Couldn't wait to finish playing and uninstalling it. What happened to the gaming industry and who are they making these games for? Don't buy, it's a waste of money and time. Expand
  65. Sep 18, 2012
    The story is great. So are the graphics. But unfortunately the gameplay isn't. I can't tell you in words, how f** frustrating it is to restart the game from a checkpoint that is set at the beginning at the level. The other bad thing is that you can't skip most of the cutscenes.
    And why do people and even professional magazines tend to rate a game by the quality of a conversion. When I play a PC game it's either good or bad and not well converted or bad converted. This one just is not as perfect as tests say. Sorry.
  66. Sep 17, 2012
    i installed the game and right after the next start i couldnt log in anymore with the credentials i have just created and that work online on the website. no reaction from support even after 2 days. this is just no fun at all. one pays high dollar for a single player game and gets: nothing at all.
  67. Aug 19, 2012
    I've played 1 and 2, and both were fun, challenging and had a good story to them. This, is basically a movie and that can be great, but it is so one-sided shoot-em up that it is a bore. Once you've shot your first 1500 bodies, the grind begins to set in.

What happened to the surprising and challenging puzzles? There is ONE thing in this game and that is shooting, all others have been removed. The story is so-so, but passable, but really the challenge is gone. Point, click, push left-mouse button, at times, you use space for picking them off easy. Boring.
  68. Aug 17, 2012
    Looks good, but the controls are dreadful (way too often you try and change to the rifle and end up throwing it away and pulling out a second pistol instead) and the checkpoint system is infuriating. A really promising game, let down by being an appalling and very sloppy console port. With decent controls and a quicksave feature, it could have been brilliant. But it isn't.
  69. Aug 15, 2012
    Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine,Look at all the fake reviews giving 10. Tells you all you need to know. This Is Rubbish. Ancient GTA3 engine used to create one long cutscene. You're barely involved in playing this game, you just click through. They've dumped the atmosphere of previous games in the series totally. Rockstar even managed to botch the bullet time and dodging. As with all previous games based on this engine, the graphics are glitchy and choppy and the physics are buggy as hell. Also you need to sign up to their useless drm system and be connected all the time to play. Rockstar and Ubisoft love this crap. This is a poor console port that should be avoided. Expand
  70. Aug 12, 2012
    I spend half an hour on registering to this Rocstar Game Club only to find out our beloved dark, noir, gritty Max Payne is now bright, happy, brazilian partyman with a love for uncotrollable screen effects that burned my retinas.
  71. Jul 31, 2012
    Thank god, I bought it from Steam summer sale. I've always been a fan of Rockstar. I fell bad for writing this but I am really disappointed. I finished MassEffect3 Ext.Cut recently. Then, started to play Max Payne 3. First of all, I liked the cutscenes in the begining chapters. Later, it is getting annoying because at every door, max looks behind the door and says something meaningless andThank god, I bought it from Steam summer sale. I've always been a fan of Rockstar. I fell bad for writing this but I am really disappointed. I finished MassEffect3 Ext.Cut recently. Then, started to play Max Payne 3. First of all, I liked the cutscenes in the begining chapters. Later, it is getting annoying because at every door, max looks behind the door and says something meaningless and stars to shoot everyone. The story is really cheap and easily predictable. The game itself is, "I'm sure my time is running out" let shoot more bad guys, "I feel my luck is running out", lets shoot more bad guys especially, in the daylight at sao paulo. Why max has to be shooting bad guys in the daylight most of the time?. The final chapters are a little bit darker, I enjoyed a little. Multiplayer is an effort but after I finished campaign, I was too bored to play multilplayer that much. I liked the animations but it has some flaws. Sensitivity is too low even in highest setting. The game could be better. I think, Rockstar is too focused on GTA V. Conclusion, I am still looking forward to GTAV. Please do not give us cheap games while you are developing bigger games and using the Max Payne title to sell it. Expand
  72. Jul 28, 2012
    Too many unskippable cut scenes break any sort of rhythm the game might otherwise have achieved. You'll rarely have more than one or two fight sequences between cinematics, so you start about a third of the battles in a stupid position with the wrong weapon equipped wondering if you've got control yet.

I gave up after a few hours. Maybe there are things in the later parts of the story or the multilayer that redeem it, but I quit when i was forced to do the second sniper mini-game only half way through chapter 3. I loved the first game and would replay sections over and over so i could get the perfect head shot or diving uzi spray. But i can't face this. Yes it looks lovely and it certainly has a plot, but this game has more in common with Resident Evil 5 or Time Crisis than the original Max Payne and as a gamer that likes to get really immersed in a game, playing this felt like I was at my mates house taking it in turns to play one life each on Call of Duty. I think it could be modded into something playable, but Rockstar have put so much emphasis on polish and style that i've uninstalled it until someone independent makes a patch.
  73. Jul 23, 2012
    A game that tries to be a movie accompanied with console-port performance and controls while forcing us character story down our throats with a plunger. Nothing more to be said about this one than STAY AWAY. Watch walkthroughs if you want to know how everything plays out as an old fan instead of flushing your money down the sink.
  74. Jul 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Max Payne 3 is the best Rockstar game I have seen released, so far. I finished the game in 12hours with 7 Golden Weapons Achieved! 9/10 Graphics! 9/10 Story! 9/10 Game play! Never seen A Loading screen. Expand
  75. Jul 19, 2012
    Ok, now I would like to know, why this game called "Max Payne 3"? Rockstar Games got a fantastic chance to create a superb action game... and a great responsibility not to fail Max Payne IP. Maybe (just maybe - Max is too slow and clunky) they made a good action game, but miserably failed MP series. Plain and boring storyline, irritating weapon system, useless and undeveloped cover system.Ok, now I would like to know, why this game called "Max Payne 3"? Rockstar Games got a fantastic chance to create a superb action game... and a great responsibility not to fail Max Payne IP. Maybe (just maybe - Max is too slow and clunky) they made a good action game, but miserably failed MP series. Plain and boring storyline, irritating weapon system, useless and undeveloped cover system. Where is original Max Payne gone? I miss it.
    Burn in hell, Rockstar Games, really.
  76. gas
    Jul 16, 2012
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    This is pretty much an interactive movie, you see 1 min of movie, then you got a 1 min shooting stage, if you pass it you go to the next movie and so on.
    If you die and need to redo a stage you will have to see again and again a short intro movie, and you cant skip it. Also, if you have to redo a session, the game
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    Also, if you have to redo a session, the game will switch the weapon you are using with the standard pistol every time.
    Game is all on rails, you have zero freedom, its all heavily scripted, so there is absolutley no replayability, also the game is scripted in a manner that wanna be hollywood movie, so you must play rambo always, you cant choose to sneak or do something different.
    The game is a console port, as usual for Rockstar , not so bad as they did with gta IV, but still its not a good job, beside the graphic which imo is not so important, the problem is about mouse movement, which is for some reason clunky, it feels glued to the screen sometimes, very fast in game, very slow in the menus and super slow in bullet time... its quite bad and even tryin to change settings there is a bad feeling about it, any pc fps is 1000 times better.
    I can add also that the cover system plus the bullet time system adds a layer of gameplay wich is not really needed imo, and its not developed so good, max cant cover in many situations due to irregular surfaces, and / or cant detach so easily from some others.
    At the end i really hope that developers will return to develop games where GAMEPLAY is the core, not those kind of hollywood wannabe interactive movies.
    I give it a score of 2 cause the voice acting, the movie direction and photography are good, but as this is a game, i want a game not a movie.
  77. Jul 15, 2012
    The story is good, but there are WAY TOO MANY CUTSCENES. The cutscenes start right in the middle of a gunfight. They are annoying. What's worse is there are cutescenes where you are forced to control Max. I dont play these games to control someone who's forced to crawl on the ground, slow as hell.
  78. Jul 14, 2012
    The good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effectThe good things about this game is the bullet time and the voice acting in the single player campaign. The rest is downhill from there. Mostly though there are a lot of little annoying things that destroys the gameplay. For me the most negative of them all is the constant screen distortions going on. This may be a intended part of the artistic side of the game, and it is a great effect when Max gets shot or is drunk. But when it is constant even when Max is just fine, it only annoys. Also this screen flickering takes a toll on your eyes if you are playing more than a hour. Other little things that mess up the game is the cover system, which is really dull and stupid. There is no cover to cover mechanism, the is no sprint that works and its easier to get shot when you pop out from cover than when you are not using it at all (i.e. just use bullet time instead). The guns are another annoyance. there is almost no difference between the guns when it comes to distance and damage. It is just as easy/hard to get a one bullet headshot kill on vast distances whether you use a pistol or a rifle. Also there are no access to explosive secondaries like grenades, Molotov **** etc. in the single player. The story is fine, but the constant narrative about how Max is just a drunk old fart about to die, gets old pretty fast, and does not harmonize with what is actually going on in the game. Which is Max behaving like a bad ass commando mowing down hordes of gangsters. This constant negative focus removes the sense of any character progress for Max. Quite unlike the previous Max games when you started in the gutter and fought your way to the penthouse of a corporate skyscraper. Expand
  79. Jul 13, 2012
    35 gigs of harddrive space required. That's all that needs to be said. Purchased through Steam and downloaded on a 25mbps connection took 3 full days to install, because Steam's download service is so slow (I wasn't even using my bandwidth for anything else). For 35 gigs of space this should have been the best game ever - it wasn't.
  80. Jul 12, 2012
    Cutscene loading time was annoying. Story was stupid and dull. All depth has been removed from Max as a character. The final kill is awful little kid **** (at least you can turn it off by playing the game on its hardest setting). Most of the gameplay, however, is **** perfected. Best 3rd person shooter in existence(only for the raw shooting experience). If you dont agree youre probably aCutscene loading time was annoying. Story was stupid and dull. All depth has been removed from Max as a character. The final kill is awful little kid **** (at least you can turn it off by playing the game on its hardest setting). Most of the gameplay, however, is **** perfected. Best 3rd person shooter in existence(only for the raw shooting experience). If you dont agree youre probably a noob. Youre probably like a woman driver. Something just didnt click. If any of the above drawbacks stopped you from repeatedly enjoying this game time and time again, you just suck. Expand
  81. Jul 12, 2012
    Pretty and polished, but extremely frustrating. The devs seem to think "challenge" and "frustrate" are synonymous. They are not. Other reviews have already talked about the constant cutscenes, switching to pistol, shooting in the back etc, so I'll leave that and say THIS GAME IS A RAIL SHOOTER. There is absolutely no freedom - even in the manner you clear the waves of attackers -Pretty and polished, but extremely frustrating. The devs seem to think "challenge" and "frustrate" are synonymous. They are not. Other reviews have already talked about the constant cutscenes, switching to pistol, shooting in the back etc, so I'll leave that and say THIS GAME IS A RAIL SHOOTER. There is absolutely no freedom - even in the manner you clear the waves of attackers - everything is scripted and you must respond as required or die and try again. This is Dragon's Lair with a gun. Expand
  82. Jul 8, 2012
    I played the PC version of this game. The graphics are very good for the PC version, but the game is very tedious and boring. The dialog is boring (a group of guys with fake accents), the story is boring (dude meets spoiled rich girl, dude tries to save spoiled rich girl), the shooting mechanics are boring (all weapons sound almost the same and handle the same). Apparently it isI played the PC version of this game. The graphics are very good for the PC version, but the game is very tedious and boring. The dialog is boring (a group of guys with fake accents), the story is boring (dude meets spoiled rich girl, dude tries to save spoiled rich girl), the shooting mechanics are boring (all weapons sound almost the same and handle the same). Apparently it is possible to kill guys at long range with 1 shotgun blast :(. I first tried medium difficulty and then I lowered the difficulty to easy, muted the volume so I could finish it and toss it in the trash can. I tried single player and multi-player. Both are extremely boring. The fact that cut-scenes cannot be skipped is a joke. They are the most boring part of the game. The game would be more interesting without them. This game is not worth $60, and also not worth $30. There is a good chance that this game will be in the bargain bin in 6 months for $20 with no multi-player community to speak of.

I seems that Rockstar tried to emulate call of duty in 3rd person. I can honestly say that this game gets my vote for the most disappointing game of 2012 so far. I am giving the game a 4 out of 10 simply because of the graphics. The game has nothing else going for it.
  83. Jul 8, 2012
    This could be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 score, but I decided to make it a 2, since my gameplay experience (with the latest NVIDIA drivers and the first patch installed) was pretty much like this: bug, bug, bug, crash, freeze, freeze, bug, crash, crash, freeze, bug. Judging by the infrequent and inefficient patching it seems that the developers dropped the testing stage completely when theyThis could be a 9/10 or even a 10/10 score, but I decided to make it a 2, since my gameplay experience (with the latest NVIDIA drivers and the first patch installed) was pretty much like this: bug, bug, bug, crash, freeze, freeze, bug, crash, crash, freeze, bug. Judging by the infrequent and inefficient patching it seems that the developers dropped the testing stage completely when they rushed to release the game on time. ROCKSTAR QUALITY/STABILITY/TESTING/BUGTRACKING GUYS SHOULD CONSIDER PERFORMING SEPUKKU! Expand
  84. Jun 27, 2012
    Giving a score this low to max payne was incredibly hard for me and really depressing. There are just too many problems: the combat controls are terrible (most likely due to it being a **** console port), the shoot dodge system ends up causing more deaths than it saves due to the absurdly long time it takes to get up again, the cover system has the standard sticky-glue type thing where youGiving a score this low to max payne was incredibly hard for me and really depressing. There are just too many problems: the combat controls are terrible (most likely due to it being a **** console port), the shoot dodge system ends up causing more deaths than it saves due to the absurdly long time it takes to get up again, the cover system has the standard sticky-glue type thing where you attach yourself to cover, except that a lot of the cover is destructible so you just end up turning into an immobile target, the game is basically a movie with small linear corridors and billions of quick time events, bullet time runs out so fast its barely enough to get a couple shots off, and I could go on and on and on about the mechanics, but whats really important, as max payne fans know, is the story. The game has always been a semi-interactive story in which the player acts out the fatalistic actions of a man who knows hes going to die. The first game was so over the top that it was memorable. Rockstar tried to capture that spirit, but just ended up with a bland story with a main character who to me just came across as an arse. If the story was good, I could of forgiven everything else, but since the story is horrificly bad, it is hardly worth playing. Expand
  85. Jun 27, 2012
    Not a Max Payne sequel, and barely even a game. Just know that going in, and wait for a major price drop, and you might not feel cheated. It's a good action movie broken up by some very short, bland and clunky gameplay sequences. The movie itself, while cliched, is actually pretty good. The gameplay, though, just barely amounts to just another cover shooter.
  86. Jun 26, 2012
    The graphics are amazing! Unfortunately, the game itself is a huge disappointment. The first Max Payne was great, and the second was amazing. I've gone back and played them both again and again, but since I finally finished this one, I doubt I'll ever touch it again.

My biggest complaint is that you can no longer save your game. You have to get to a "checkpoint." Having to repeat the same parts countless times gets frustrating pretty quickly, and takes all the fun out of it. Apparently these software companies think that gamers everywhere are saying, "You know what I really hate? Being able to save my game whenever I want to!" Granted, it's not nearly as bad as Far Cry, where I was stuck at the same checkpoint for two weeks, but it's quite frustrating. The controls are a royal pain. I got used to them after awhile, but that doesn't mean I liked it, especially not being able to jump. And for some reason, Max can only carry a couple guns at a time now.

I loved the cutscenes in Max Payne 1 & 2, and thought there should have been more of them. But this one has way too many. And it's not always obvious when the cutscene ends and you're back in the action. I got killed this way quite a few times. And as several other people mention, after some cutscenes, it insists on switching you to that stupid pistol, regardless of which weapon you were using before the cutscene.

Before you can even play a single player game, you have to sign up for an online account. You read that right. An online account. For a single player game. What is the point of this?

There is a particularly annoying bug in this game, where sometimes it will pause itself for no reason. Last I heard, the company had no plans to fix this, because they "can't recreate the problem." The storylines in the first two games were interesting, full of plot twists, and memorable characters. I kept playing because I couldn't wait to see what happened next. This one, it got to the point where the only reason I kept playing was to be done with it. The characters are so uninteresting that I kept forgetting who was who as the story progressed. I even lost interest in the story itself after awhile. Max being in South America just seems wrong. The flashback scenes from before he left the USA were a little better, but it still wasn't the same. And it never really explained how Max got to where he "wasn't a cop anymore." At the beginning of the second game, it went into a decent amount of detail about the events the happened between the first and second game, but there was none of that in this one. None of the characters from the first two games were in this one, other than a couple of passing references. I know, most of the characters had been killed off, but there were a few that survived, and a few that sounded like they may have survived.

After the second game, I was hoping for a third one. Sadly, it turned out to be a huge disappointment, and I'm sorry I wasted $60 on it.
  87. Jun 25, 2012
    Firstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for MaxFirstly to the haters.If anyone of you havent experienced or played max payne game before then to be literal YOU WONT LIKE THIS A BIT because max payne games have always been linear and in service of narrative cinematics while retaining dark atmosphere.I have been playing max payne since its original release 2001 and still do with lots of awesome mods created by fans specially for Max Payne 2.Max Payne 3 didnt feel like a max payne game at all to be honest and die hard fans might agree with that.ITS JUST A LINEAR AND OVERSCRIPTED GTA IV TO BE SPECIFIC.NOIR STYLE,DREAM SEQUENCES,DARK ATMOSPHERE,FEELING OFMAX PAYNE CHARACTER ALL ARE GONE.in the first two games we actually felt the resonance of the tensed situations and feel of a max as a character.To be specific Max Payne 3 is a sheer disappointment.Remedy will regret the loss of such iconic character by rockstar and its GTA fanbase.PROS:Terrific voice acting and level design,,great shoot outs CONS:Not in any way feels like a max payne game.even the story is cliched with predictable outcome,no dream sequences,no character feeling,Mona Sax is completely forgotten in the latest installment.Overall IF I WERE NEW TO MP SERIES THEN I WOULD HAVE RATED IT 9 BUT AS A DIE HARD FAN OF THE SERIES FOR A DECADE I AM DISAPPOINTED.SAME THING HAPPENED TO SPLINTER CELL SERIES WHEN CONVICTION WAS RELEASED AND NOW MAX PAYNE.START WORRYING ABOUT 47 Expand
  88. Jun 24, 2012
    The worst game i have ever played..... I am a huge fan of Max Payne but with this one it is **** now. Thanks Rockstar..... I did buy the first Max Payne for my tablet 100 times better than this garbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  89. Jun 23, 2012
    There is no option for FOV. There is no option to turn off acceleration. It looks to me like the game is just another port. I dont like covering system. Environment is too small for bullettime. Story is not that good. Cutscenes are pain in the butt.
  90. Jun 23, 2012
    Ultimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately itUltimately enjoyable, no doubt. Had it been named "Run down bodyguard on a rampage" or "Man On Fire" then I couldn't fault it more than the horrendous decision to not be able to skip cutscenes, and the troublesome bulletime dodging. But this is a Max Payne game. Kudos for getting the right voice actor, kudos for trying to bring back the Noir. Trying is just not enough, when ultimately it fails to deliver the most important aspect of the Max Payne story experience. There are a few cases where the old Max pops up and I truly feel for him, but overall Max is reduced to a reluctant killer. Max was never reluctant to dish out righteous justice. Heck he even killed his only good friend in the name of justice.
    So ultimately, if you want to cash in on the brand name, you have to deliver on that name. And to me Rockstar certainly didn't.
  91. Jun 23, 2012
    TOO MUCH CUT SCENE, but the few places were there is game play it is good, you feel his age, and it is not helping him. Biggest complain is the cut scene thing.
  92. Jun 22, 2012
    too manyy cutscenes spoil the fps
    bullettime is interesting addition, however:
    "max is too old" is the excuse for you not being as awesome as before, so diving bullettime isn't really that useful here :(
    lazy effort rockstar, lazy effort.
  93. Jun 19, 2012
    Every 5 minutes you get a new cut scene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one. Boring story, boring game play, boring dialogue, Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn
  94. Jun 16, 2012
    Very disappointing game play. Too many movies. Overall much worse game than previous MP1,2. Game just isnt fun to play. Not worth the money. Very sory for missed chance.
  95. Jun 15, 2012
    Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens?Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you. Expand
  96. Jun 14, 2012
    After trying to play the Multiplayer for like 3 hours, I got about 10 minutes of actual playing out of this. I get kicked out midgame, I get kicked out right when it is loading, or I spent like 15 minutes in the **** loading screen before the game tells me that the host apparently could not be found. Multiplayer is just unbearable for me at this stage and the campaign is long beaten. 3After trying to play the Multiplayer for like 3 hours, I got about 10 minutes of actual playing out of this. I get kicked out midgame, I get kicked out right when it is loading, or I spent like 15 minutes in the **** loading screen before the game tells me that the host apparently could not be found. Multiplayer is just unbearable for me at this stage and the campaign is long beaten. 3 points for a meh campaign (short and repeatitive but nice story), 0 points for the god awful multplayer. Expand
  97. Jun 14, 2012
    While the game stays somewhat true to the original Max Payne play style, RockStar
  98. Jun 14, 2012
    Really dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be pannedReally dated gameplay that would be no more than a minigame mechanic in a modern GTA. Obviously Rockstar were staying true to the original and its sequel, but the endless cutscenes, frustrating controls, repetitive gameplay and stupid storyline left me regretting buying this. Critics must be getting some great swag from of Rockstar, because if anyone else published this, it would be panned as out-of-it's-time. Expand
  99. Jun 13, 2012
    Summary: Rockstar, in its latest breathless desperate attempt to come across as a trendy auteur filmmaker, has once again completely spoiled what could have been a pretty good game.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Pros: Refreshing protagonist, fun gunfights, colorful level design.
    Cons: Abysmal save system, overlong unskippable cutscenes (the 'you can't skip them because you're loading' cop-out is false, since the levels will load in seconds when you start from a checkpoint), unremittingly linear progression that means any clue or collectible missed past a checkpoint requires sitting through another long unskippable cutscene you've already seen once or twice before (you will want to beat your head against a desk at this), pretentious and overdone 'film effect' interjections seemingly trying harder to emulate 'b-movie made for cable cop action movie' than film noir, *constant* interjection of headache-inducing RGB-split video effect, plainly stupid text overlays of bad dialog meant to add impact but really only getting in the way.

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]