Max Payne 3 PC

7.7

1. Oct 10, 2017
    Ditching any semblance of parody that was present in the last two games, Max Payne 3 tells a straight-faced and not-very-good-story in a setting completely unrelated to the first two games with a polar opposite look and style. "Crime" and "Brazil" go together pretty well, but bright sunny environments do not mesh well with Max Payne. This isn't a tongue-in-cheek, dark and rainy Neo-NoirDitching any semblance of parody that was present in the last two games, Max Payne 3 tells a straight-faced and not-very-good-story in a setting completely unrelated to the first two games with a polar opposite look and style. "Crime" and "Brazil" go together pretty well, but bright sunny environments do not mesh well with Max Payne. This isn't a tongue-in-cheek, dark and rainy Neo-Noir game, this is "Max Payne Takes a Vacation (and shoots people while monologuing)."

The iconic art style that helped to make Max Payne so unique is completely gone. Most notably, the graphic novel story segments have been replaced by long and sometimes tortuous cutscenes, with epilepsy-inducing, pointless flashy screen effects and words appearing on screen when characters say "important" things. They're unskippable for the most part, often telling you the level is still loading when you try to skip them even after several minutes, which is a dirty lie. The first time you load the game, it opens straight into a ridiculously long unskippable cutscene before you're even allowed to do so much as change the f*cking graphics options; which I can only assume is meant to prepare you for how long-winded and obnoxious this game can be.

Gameplay wise, it does a couple of interesting things with animations, but all at the expense of player freedom:

Q: Shall we let players carry as many weapons as they want, like in the first two games?
    A: Well that would be fun, but I have this idea of how we can create unique animations so that Max carries three weapons at once realistically. So let's do that instead. But no more than three! That's too arcadey.

Q: How can we make the cutscenes more dynamic?
    A: Well, let's make it so that Max always takes his sidearm out during a cutscene, whichever one is currently in the players inventory! For added realism, we should make sure it's always equipped when the cutscene finishes, even if the player was using their assault rifle before, and even if we throw them directly into a room full of enemies. So they need to spend a few seconds changing back to the weapon they actually wanted to use while they're busy getting shot at from all angles! Sometimes, if players insist on using Uzis instead of pistols, we'll remove those from their inventory and switch them with pistols, just for the cutscene, because f*ck 'em.

Q: Shall we make the player movement feel smooth and intuitive at the expense of realism?
    A: Hah, no! Let's make sure Max's animations are extremely realistic so that he can smack his head on walls when he dives around, fall over randomly, and won't respond immediately to the controls because our super realistic animations need to catch up first! We need to go for that "human tank" effect.

Q:......
    A: Oh yeah and lets not include any grenades or molotovs, no one liked those in the other games. By the way, whats your opinion on cover systems?

I feel that Rockstar, having taken the development reigns from Remedy, didn't understand what made Max Payne so good. So we're left with this... It's not terrible, it can be fun, and it's superficially Max Payne, but under the surface it's a fairly generic shooter. A shell of itself. This is a game that forgot its roots and started taking itself way too seriously.
  2. Oct 7, 2017
    The story is simply uninteresting. You won't care about anyone except for Passos. That is probably the only con about this game. The physics is very realistic, the environments are filled with every bit of detail, the presentation is amazing, it was like watching a film that should have happen instead of Max Payne (2008)..
  3. Oct 3, 2017
    Cutscene long and gameplay short many have said but bigggest problem is the game is completely borken... ON PROPUS!!!! You canot get headshots every shot I ever fired when I play was a headshot and only like half got the head. They do this on porpus so you feel okay with being max who is a gay DRINKER who wants to be bad because of his wife died.
  4. Aug 23, 2017
    This game is a masterpiece. The story it well-written, filled with a lot of meaningful quotes. Nice graphics and shooting in bullet time is satisfying and fun! A man who never plays Max Payne 3 is never a whole man. 9/10.
  5. Jul 11, 2017
    First of all, this is an awesome game with an even better story. But I'm just going to get the score out of the way by saying that this shouldn't have been a Max Payne game, it should have had a different name. The series should have stayed in NYC and add on to the story of the first two games. This puts him in a different environment and it just didn't feel too right.
    But, that aside,
    But, that aside, this has a great story, very well written, and Max has stayed the same. The graphics are obviously amazing, and more realistic mechanics are implemented (you can only have a couple of weapons). The comic cutscenes have received a downgrade, but with graphics like these, it's understandable to have actual movie-like cutscenes.
    Overall, it's a good game if you haven't played the first two, and a bit of a disappointment if you have.
  6. Jun 26, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frustrating and awful.

Does not hold up to the first 2 entries due to all the problems others have listed. #1 for me is the way many environments are stacked against you in terms of coverage- you end up being a bullet magnet and many times the unfair positioning is to the point of yelling obscenities. In many areas you'll find yourself randomly trying to find other cover (even though none presents itself) to break out of the constant pattern of being stuck behind the obvious cover, only to die over and over.

This is quite different than the first two games, and it means alot of dying and replaying until you get randomly lucky enough that when you're concentrating on one enemy the others don't mow you down.

Here's another annoying choice - as you're dying, the game goes into slow mo. So you have to wait 10 seconds before re-starting at a checkpoint.

I'm not a huge fan of "grinder" games and this falls into that category more often than not.

Helpless woman with no self-volition later in the game, no understanding of noir first person voice or the near camp version of that voice from the first two games. Voice acting is boring

I'm going to grab MP 2 after this- maybe I'm looking back with rose-colored glasses. But MP 3 feels like a pale shadow... don't bother paying for this game even on sale.
  7. Apr 20, 2017
    This sequel could not have been better. Its combains gameplay with cut scenes in a right way. Basically you will be able to play about 60% of the game and the rest is only cut scenes but they are worth it because they are too damn good.
    The shooting is lots of fun as always and the graphics are great. Even if you did not play Max Payne before you will understand and love this one.
  8. Mar 19, 2017
    İlk oyunun ardından büyük bir zaman beklediğim ve duyurulduğunda büyük beklentiler içerisine girdiğim, ilk oyun kadar bende etki yaratmayan, yine de yerin dibine sokulmayacak bir oyun olduğu kanaatindeyim.
  9. Mar 8, 2017
    If you liked this game, you are retarded, sorry.
    This is the worst game i ever played. Nice job stealing my money for a game that is more like a **** movie.
  10. Jan 27, 2017
    Max Payne 3 is currently the best action game that I've ever played and is commendable for staying true to the series' formula while improving its core mechanics. I can imagine Rockstar being tempted to modernize the game in order to broaden its appeal and attract new players but they kept the series' staple gameplay that's almost 15 years old - as of writing - and proved that if it ain'tMax Payne 3 is currently the best action game that I've ever played and is commendable for staying true to the series' formula while improving its core mechanics. I can imagine Rockstar being tempted to modernize the game in order to broaden its appeal and attract new players but they kept the series' staple gameplay that's almost 15 years old - as of writing - and proved that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As someone who had several playthroughs of the past two titles, I played Max Payne 3 without even feeling alienated and quickly became accustomed to how the game works; I was still running and gunning my way through waves of thugs as I did so before, feeling like a one-man killing machine out for justice. For those wondering if the difficulty has been toned down compared to the previous titles: it hasn't and you will die a lot in this game, even if you're a series veteran because the AI is programmed to be very aggressive and will always try to flank Max in every opportunity possible. Overall an excellent action game that will appeal to old fans and new players craving for a chaotic and hardcore experience.

I couldn't hold the same regard for the story though. Even with its high production values, Rockstar's attention to detail, and amazing performances from the cast, the story couldn't win me over and I can't sway the thought that this game shouldn't have been made in the first place. The previous game already established that Max finally achieves peace and accepts that his wife and daughter are dead forever; he realizes that no amount of revenge could ease the pain and he vows to live with that until he dies. Fast forward 9 years later and Max is shown with his life down on the rocks and has an addiction to alcohol and painkillers. He develops a negative attitude to everything surrounding him and he denounces the American dream which he once had. I seriously couldn't get why the new writers presented Max that way since 9 years is more than enough to change a person's life. I felt that Dan Houser and the other writers were going for the Max Payne 2 route, where the point of that game existing in the first place is to show that Max doesn't learn from his mistakes, but it doesn't work if you do it a second time after your main character already sworn that he already got his redemption. The writers tried to make connections with the past titles, putting small references here and there to appease the old fans but I think it would've been better if they went the reboot/remake route and showed us what vision of Max they had in their head because they're just feeding off the scraps that Remedy sold them.

The story's not bad, mind you. Sure, there are glaring plot holes and it doesn't really explain well why certain events happened the way they happened, but it's a passable story for the kind of ambitious game that they were making. It's just that for someone who replayed the Remedy-made games a lot of times, Max Payne 3 has been kind of a let down in the story department. It was a good attempt on Rockstar's part but old-timers may not have the same satisfying experience as they had in Noir York City.

"I had a dream of my wife.
    She was dead.
    But it was all right."

And there you have it.
  11. Dec 5, 2016
    I was so excited at first. Good dialogs, movie style story-telling. Longer I played, worse it got. Too many shootings, you can hardly call them realistic. It wouldn't be a problem if enemies didn't pop up from anywhere, often killing you by surprise. Frustrating to say the least. One could expect better graphics and after all the story didn't make much sense. 7/10 for original approach.
  12. Dec 4, 2016
    Im a fan of Max Payne since the first game. If you ask me top 10 games ever, will be Max Payne.

I played Max Payne 3 and giving it 8.5. The game is great overall.
    + Slick performance
    + No bugs
    + Voice acting
    + Graphic
    + Action packed

- Too many cinematics
    - Dont feel like old Max Payne games.

Also I liked those nice flashbacks. The NY setting is so much better than South America.
  13. Dec 2, 2016
    An amazingly, incredibly bad game. IT fails on every level. The voice acting is terrible, like somebody randomly reading a script with no context. Which, in fairness, it probably was. The gameplay is dire. The one element retained from the originals is the shootdodge, which has somehow been made far worse. Enjoy hovering in the air abruptly flying in a random direction if you happen toAn amazingly, incredibly bad game. IT fails on every level. The voice acting is terrible, like somebody randomly reading a script with no context. Which, in fairness, it probably was. The gameplay is dire. The one element retained from the originals is the shootdodge, which has somehow been made far worse. Enjoy hovering in the air abruptly flying in a random direction if you happen to brush something solid mid-flight. The AI is terrible, enemies just repeatedly duck and stand up again in exactly the same place. A ridiculous number of cut scenes, frequently ending abruptly while leaving you in a stupidly exposed location. Where you will probably die, because your currently selected weapon is randomly reset, and occasionally lost for no apparent reason. The game appears to have been directed by somebody who has never seen any visual medium other than last 90s music videos. I have never played an FPS where dying gives some small sense of relief, because I hate my character so much I really subconsciously want him to fail. Gameplay is completely linear. The plot is hackneyed and boring. There are hilarious sequences that make zero sense (my favourite being wandering through a favela interspersed with cut scenes where Max repeatedly begs locals for a phone for no reason, yet when he encounters an American who seems well established there, and would defnitely have one, he just has a brief chat and moves on). But that's just petty, there are far, far bigger issues with every aspect of the game on every level. By far the most disappointing game I have played in the last ten years. Expand
  14. Oct 31, 2016
    Max Payne 3 rocks ! Sucha well crafted action game that has hardly any faults. PC version is great, looks great and runs great, extremely well optimized for PC. Massive step up for R* after troubled GTA IV and LA Noire PC versions.

Gameplay requires skill and fast thinking. Even on lower difficulties it can be pretty punishing if youre playing it casualy. Its pretty much non stop action in this game. Guns feel awesome with sense of weight behind them, something rare for a TPS game, Bullet physics that R* bragged about work actually in a useful and satisfying manner.

Story was pretty good, executed like in a good action movie with cinematic feel. Some of the stuff it goes thru makes you think of the dark things that might be happening in real life in Brazil. Really maturely delivered storyline overall.

MP3 and R* carries on Remedy's legacy with pride. Excellent game.
  15. Oct 25, 2016
    The game is technically beautiful, but this game made me know I don't like games where all you do is shooting. I felt so bored after a while, I just finished it because I'm a bit completionist.
  16. Oct 15, 2016
    Absolutely atrocious as a videogame.

As a movie? 10/10. Well, 8/10 but you get the picture. This isn't a videogame. This is a movie with little minigames added in between. You get to play for maybe 20% of the game's length. The rest is just cutscene after cutscene after cutscene. The gameplay that is there is almost too little to be judged, but it comes down to clunky as all hell.
    Absolutely atrocious as a videogame.

As a movie? 10/10. Well, 8/10 but you get the picture.

The gameplay that is there is almost too little to be judged, but it comes down to clunky as all hell. Max will often not move in the directions you're pressing. The tiny areas you're in a laden with invisible walls. The cover system is counter-productive. Popping out of cover will get you killed, while simply standing behind cover and slowly walking out of it guns blazing will always work well. The bullet time is too short and your reticle blends in with the enviroment making it almost impossible to aim without bullet time. Cutscenes will often end abruptly, leaving you standing out in the open while enemies blow you to smithereens. The game NEVER conveys ANY information without cutscenes. Someone wants to talk to you? Cutscenes. Someone wants to take a dump? Cutscene. Someone wants to open a door to enter the fight? Cutscene. Cutscene. Cutscene. Cutscene. Cutscene. Cutscene. Cutscene, and yet more Cutscenes.

The visuals, notably the special "blurry" effects you get, are distracting and unnecessary, and often just disorienting.

Too bad games are so expensive. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I just bought a 15 dollar ticket to a movie.
  17. Oct 12, 2016
    This game starts off SO promisingly: Great production values, great soundtrack, great graphics and great setting. So far, so Rockstar. But once you're about a third into the game, the flaws start to really reveal themselves.

Despite the varied environments the game throws at you (nightclub, favela, dockyards) the basic gameplay just gets very repetitive very quickly. Cover, aim, shoot -- over and over again. Worse, even if you try and shake things up by shoot-dodging and running from cover to cover, the game will sometimes punish you with an instant death -- so you'll have no incentive to use the game's most interesting mechanics. Yes, there are some great occasional set-pieces (the office block siege!) but the levels are often dragged out way longer than necessary. The game's weird obsession with forcing you to use a pistol a lot of the time doesn't help.

None of this would matter if the story and script were top-notch but to be honest the plot is way too convoluted and the characters so unlikeable that you never feel much emotional connection with what's going on. It all feels like a character arc from GTA V -- minus the driving and sense of humor. Fun for a bit but no classic.
  18. Oct 11, 2016
    Great continuation to story of Max Payne. Great atmosphere, shooting, graphics, audio. Unfortunately gameplay is a little bit too repetitive and the place of action might be not everyone's taste (no more NY city noir type of thing) but still, proper max payne experience. Wish there be 4th part one day.
  19. Jul 30, 2016
    Not a very long game but definitely enjoyable. It does not offer the best of story lines, however in the scheme of things and the character "Max Payne" himself, it fits in well. Just too much of shooting people throughout and at times it gets a little tiring and the long cut scenes seem to be a respite. In any case, the end of the game is just awesome and makes the entire game worth playing!
  20. Jul 10, 2016
    Un juego muy divertido, con buena acción, espectacular, buena historia. Sus contras es que ya por la mitad del juego, no cambia la jugabilidad ni nada importante y se hace muy repetitivo, pero es un muy buen juego para comprar en ofertas. El final me pareció muy decepcionante.
  21. Jul 10, 2016
    In short : really disappointing compared to the first one. Short storyline, tons of unskippable cutscenes - during which Max will often switch your weapon to single handgun, sometimes even discardingyour 2-handed weapon. As another reviewer said, "Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene": there's basically aIn short : really disappointing compared to the first one. Short storyline, tons of unskippable cutscenes - during which Max will often switch your weapon to single handgun, sometimes even discardingyour 2-handed weapon. As another reviewer said, "Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene": there's basically a cutscene for every closed door. The worst thing with the unskippable: even when you replay a level, you still can't skip them!

The graphics are nice, the controls are okay, it's a decent third-person shooter. But it doesn't feel like a Max Payne game, it feels like a TPS with bullet time.
  22. Jun 22, 2016
    Max Payne 3 is a rare case of me expecting very specific things from a game and getting exactly those things out of it. While it bears a few of the trappings of modern shooters, these do not dare hold back the torrent of classic Max Payne action- unforgiving, pitched gun battles, metaphor-laden, hard-boiled detective monologuing, bullet time, diving dodges, and Max's continuing journeyMax Payne 3 is a rare case of me expecting very specific things from a game and getting exactly those things out of it. While it bears a few of the trappings of modern shooters, these do not dare hold back the torrent of classic Max Payne action- unforgiving, pitched gun battles, metaphor-laden, hard-boiled detective monologuing, bullet time, diving dodges, and Max's continuing journey into the depths of his own personal hell. This is one instance where Rockstar's flair for grim violence and depressing storytelling is wholly appropriate to the subject matter. The multiplayer however, is a horribly unbalanced, blink-and-your-dead **** much like a certain other more popular Rockstar title. Regardless, I didn't buy this game for another boring multiplayer grindfest. I bought it because it's Max ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ Payne, and that's why you should buy it too, so grab a fistful of painkillers and lay down the law. No Payne, no gain. Expand
  23. Jun 13, 2016
    This game has been reviewed a zillion times so I’ll try not to repeat too much what has already been said, but Max Payne 3 has some big issues and one deal breaker that keeps me from recommending it.

I’ll start with the good. Max Payne 3 looks great and has terrific physics and fight mechanics. The mission areas have a lot of variety and are extremely detailed, and there are some well-designed action sequences.

Now for the not so good. The setting for the game, as many have said, does not fit with detective noir theme of the first two games. Gone is the graphic novel presentation, and the mean streets of New York have been replaced with sunny San Paolo. Max has gone from a creature of the night to a tanned, sunglass-wearing alcoholic. The very personal story that drove him in the first two games, the quest for revenge and answers for the murder of his wife and daughter, has been replaced by a far less compelling one where he is simply an outsider involved in someone else’s troubles. The plot surrounding the rich and politically powerful Brazilian family that hires him for bodyguard duty reminds me of a bad episode of CSI:Miami. In fact, I remember an old episode of CSI:Miami where they go to Brazil in a story surrounding Brazilian mobsters. Swap in David Caruso for Max Payne, and this is an episode of CSI:Miami. The characters in Max Payne 3 are all clichés, the dialogue is often bad, and there is no femme fatal like Mona in the first two games to press Max’s buttons. So what we are left with is Max moaning about his sad sack life while entangling himself in the affairs of people we don’t really care about. This is emphasized even more when Max shaves his head to go undercover and spends the second half of the game looking like Walter White from Breaking Bad. The only time Max Payne 3 harkened back to the classic first two games was in the two flashback chapters where Max is back in New Jersey. If only this whole game had taken place in New Jersey. I also missed the humor from the first two games, like when a couple of cops are sitting on a couch at the precinct watching an episode of ‘Lords and Ladies’, and complaining when Max blocks their view. When Max flips on a tv in Max Payne 3, all you get are CNN-like reports. The spirit of the original games just seems to be missing altogether in this one.

One of the big complaints about Max Payne 3 is with the excessive cutscenes, and it’s a valid one. I enjoy watching a good cutscene, but Max Payne 3 goes overboard to where it’s more an interactive movie than a game at times. Cutscenes at the beginning and end of a mission are fine, but when they are spread all through the mission it becomes a distraction and ruins immersion. It is no exaggeration that every time you walk through a doorway the game goes to a cutscene. There was absolutely no need for this. There was one time early in the game where Max is hurt and staggering behind his companion. The game would alternate between you controlling Max and the game moving Max along for you. Again, immersion-breaking as you feel like you are fighting the game for control of the character you are playing.

With all that said, Max Payne 3 was disappointing to me but still a very good third person action shooter, and I really enjoyed a lot of the fight scenes. The problem I had with the action was that toward the end of the game they kept ramping things up to where it just became unbelievable. There are times when Max is single-handedly fighting what seems like a whole army. I’m not complaining from a difficulty standpoint, I obviously got through it. But the first two games did a good job of scaling the action to the story, so it kept things reasonably believable. Max Payne 3 goes so over-the-top in the late going that it again wrecks immersion by turning it into an insane action flick. The finale feels like something out of Just Cause.

The deal-breaker for me, though, is the game’s save system. Rockstar, in their infinite wisdom, allows a single auto save with no backup. The game doesn’t even sync up with Steam Cloud. So if that save becomes corrupted, you are just out of luck. I loaded where I left off at the beginning of chapter six one day and found myself in the helicopter scene early in chapter 3. And the chapters four and five that I had unlocked were now locked. I looked it up online and found that this problem has been pervasive since the game came out four years ago, and Rockstar never addressed it. So I considered myself lucky since some people had whole games wiped out when they were in chapter 10, replayed from where I was and continued on. But I started manually backing up my game profile every time I exited the game. That is something you should never have to do because you can’t trust a game’s save system. For all its other flaws, this one is unforgivable and the main reason I have to give Max Payne 3 a thumbs down.
  24. Apr 27, 2016
    [OVERVIEW = 7]
    A third-person shooter defined by time slowing and shootdodging, “adding” cover-based combat and only 2 weapon slots.
    [PRESENTATION = 8] (Visuals = 9) It looks like it’s running on the same (gorgeous) engine as GTA V, with garish flashes in the Tony Scott “Man on Fire” style that fits the South American setting. The levels have great variety while all looking realistic.
    [OVERVIEW = 7]

[PRESENTATION = 8]
    (Visuals = 9) It looks like it’s running on the same (gorgeous) engine as GTA V, with garish flashes in the Tony Scott “Man on Fire” style that fits the South American setting. The levels have great variety while all looking realistic. And it’s cool that Max holds the unused rifle in the other hand while firing his pistol…once…and hardly worth the 2 weapon limit.
    (Sound Effects = 6)
    (Voice Acting = 7)
    (Nvidia 3D Vision = 7) Looks good in 3D, a few shadows are slightly fuzzy.
    (Physics = 8) The Euphoria engine that procedurally mixes ragdolls and animations is beautiful, but while levels have more physics-reacting objects to shoot than most games, it doesn’t appear to have more such objects than Max Payne 2. Certainly there’s no true destruction a' la Stranglehold/BF:Bad Company/Red Faction.
    (Vibration = 4)
    (Plot = 7) This is Rockstar’s version of “Man on Fire,” and while it’s well above ordinary videogame fare, it’s never reaches the overdramatic ridiculousness of the first twos' takes on New York-noir, and I miss the graphic novel-style cutscenes. Cutscenes become skippable after the next bit finishes loading.

[CONTROLS/MECHANICS = 7]
    (100% Third-Person Shooter = 7) It’s a third-person shooter with the recharging abilities to slow time to aim better, or dive forward to invincibly pick off enemies at the risk of being extra vulnerable upon landing. Rockstar Games has hurt this winning formula by adding the cover system from GTA V, which works, but it makes the game less fun than the previous run-n-gun system; at least on “normal” you can ignore taking cover for the most part.
    Mouse controls work well, but the right analog stick for joystick control aiming doesn’t “scale” well: I SHOULD be able to fast-turn by pressing the stick all the way and aim carefully by barely moving the stick. You can adjust the sensitivity, but you either get a joystick speed that’s too fast for careful aiming or too slow for switching directions. A quickturn button (works in slow-mo) helps a bit.
    The other big change is the 2-weapon limit, which DOESN’T come from GTA V, it just comes out of nowhere and ensures that you have less fun than before and run out of ammo constantly. And bizarrely, you have to use a weapon wheel to switch between just three options (dual wield, single wield, rifle) where one “weapon switch” button would be the obvious way to go.
    There’s also no dedicated melee button, which forces you to waste some ammo at near-point blank range until you get closer. And the guns are unimpressive: pistol, shotgun, machine gun.
    There's also a "last stand" limited opportunity to shoot the enemy that killed you to come back to life, and I'm
    disappointed that this has been the ONLY beneficial new mechanic added to the Max Payne formula: There’s no Dead-to-Right-style disarms, or Stranglehold-style rolling trays or railings to ride, or Stranglehold-style physics objects to drop on enemies, no Crackdown-style special attacks or Bulletstorm-style kicking enemies into hazards; it’s just Max Payne 2 remade into the GTA V engine with a few mostly negative tweaks.
    (Camera = 8)
    (Physics = 8) I love the way dives get interrupted if you collide with walls or railings, which makes you assess when to use it, and I like the way the GTA V Euphoria ragdoll engine can have enemies go down without dying, so you have to pump a few extra rounds into enemies to be sure. You can also dive into enemies to knock them back.
    (Friendly AI = none) "Allied" movement appears to be entirely automated.
    (Enemy AI = 7)

[DESIGN = 4]
    [Technicals = 0] I bought the Steam version, but the first day it wouldn’t work because the Rockstar Social Club website that runs their anticonsumer DRM was offline, costing me an hour of my life trying to figure out if I forgot to install something. Steam really needs to put its foot down and refuse to sell games unless they eliminate their SECOND layer of DRM (i.e., GamesforWindowsLive/Uplay/etc.). From then on it ran fine, although loading times are an ass.
    (Menus = 7)
    (Level Design = 7) Levels are linear, and I like the mixing between run-and-gun, rail shooting, dodging a sniper, being a sniper, etc.
    (Difficulty Curve = 7)
    (Upgrade System = none)
    (Modes = Singleplayer campaign (10 hours, 5% padding), Challenge modes, Competitive Multiplayer)
    It’s a good campaign with only a few enforced-slow-walk sequences and collectibles you can ignore. The multiplayer works fine (it’s a normal shooter but any player can put his bonus time-slow into effect that affects everyone) but didn’t hold my attention, and these days online play is uninhabited by human players.

[OVERALL]
    Fun enough, but kind of a disappointment given that Max Payne was previously one of my favorite series. Stranglehold, a game 5 years older, took the mantle of being the better third-person shootdodge/diving game.
  25. Apr 6, 2016
    İyiydi güzeldi ama bi Max Payne değildi be. Oyunda Max Payne diyince aklımıza ne geliyorsa değiştirmişler. İlk 2 oyuna nazaran Hikayesi de Max'in yalnızlığı ve psikolojik sorunları değil de "Adamı vur sonra merdivenden çık bi adam daha var, onu da ibnelik olsun diye orada beklettik" tarzında Rockstar tarafından işlenmiş ve bir ayyaş güvenlik şefini kontrol ediyoruz, dikkat edin "Max Payne"İyiydi güzeldi ama bi Max Payne değildi be. Oyunda Max Payne diyince aklımıza ne geliyorsa değiştirmişler. İlk 2 oyuna nazaran Hikayesi de Max'in yalnızlığı ve psikolojik sorunları değil de "Adamı vur sonra merdivenden çık bi adam daha var, onu da ibnelik olsun diye orada beklettik" tarzında Rockstar tarafından işlenmiş ve bir ayyaş güvenlik şefini kontrol ediyoruz, dikkat edin "Max Payne" demedim. Zira diğer iki oyunu bundan ayırt eden olayı ise hikayede harita ile etkileşime geçip çeşitli bulmacaları tamamlayarak belirli bir amaç doğrultusunda hareket etmemiz,, bu oyunda ise "Adam vur -ara sahne- adam vur -ara sahne" tarzında ilerliyor, evet oynarken zevk alıyorsunuz ama onlar da eski oyunlarda da bulunan Bullet Time olayı sayesinde zira bu oyunun 10 saat uzunluğunda bir GTA görevinden farkı olmazdı. Oyun resmen sadece adam vurup merdiven çıkmamıza yönelik yapılmış. Eskilerdeki o kasvet ve yalnızlık olsa bile bu iş olmazdı. Expand
  26. Feb 25, 2016
    Best game out in the last six months of 2012. Amazing gameplay, nice graphics, unique optimization, not bad multiplayer. This game everyone should to try! Good job Rockstar.
  27. Jan 3, 2016
    Awesome story and world design. Amazing graphics with excellent combat. Interesting main character.

Graphics: 10
    Game play : 9
    Combat: 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 8
    Immersion: 10
    Story: 10
  28. Dec 27, 2015
    At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game,At first I was a little apprehensive in the knowledge that the series had now gone to Sao Paulo, but Rockstar's writing certainly assuaged my fears. They knew what they were doing when they took Max and sent him on an odyssey through a land where the fabulously rich live beside the crushingly poor. Gunplay is fantastic, and the animation keeps you in the action all the way. Play this game, it'll take you for one hell of a ride. Expand
  29. Dec 26, 2015
    Max Payne 3 is so on rails it's heading straight off a broken bridge at full speed. I haven't played a more quick-time event heavy shooter which feels the need to inconvenience the player at every possible situation. You're constantly stripped of your weapons and put in the worst cover areas imaginable before unskippable cutscenes.

The game quickly becomes incredibly frustrating and

The game quickly becomes incredibly frustrating and expects you to know where every single enemy will come from. It's not fun to shoot 50 bad guys at every single encounter, with ammunition and bullet-time being so scarce it becomes tiresome pretty quickly.

I have no idea what Rockstar was thinking turning Max Payne into some AAA cover shooter, the ending isn't gratifying either. The story elements are predictable forcing every depressing lame line of dialog out of the protagonist every 5 minutes. The game plays and paces like a typical bad Hollywood movie with plenty of explosions to keep the more simple minded players engaged.

I did not have fun and I don't believe many others will either, even fans of the cover shooter genre. I don't have much good to say other than the graphics and animations are excellent along with the voice acting. Max writing is pretty dry and relies on his persistent hard boiled nature too heavily; he just comes across as a depressing low life fool wishing to be killed at every opportunity. Great game 5/10.
  30. Dec 17, 2015
    Overall : 9
  31. Dec 16, 2015
    MP3 is disappointment.

MP3 is disappointment.

Story is boring and predictable. Max Payne character is not depressive ex-cop who has nothing to lose anymore, but stupid brute alcoholic. Everything yelling on him for whole game: "ITS A TRAP! ITS A BACK-STAB!" Still our "genius" has no clue about what's going on. "I must protect woman/i didn't save woman again" theme is really annoying too. Unnecessary flashbacks included.
    Also story took place in Brazil instead of gloomy New York streets, which means lack of atmosphere. We don't have noir/gangster movie feeling we had in first two games.
    Controls and camera can be awful from time to time. Sometimes you cant see target behind Max's head, sometimes headshots don't kill an enemy (without helmet), aiming is bad. Combat system is mix of "behind cover" action and "bullettime". Guess what? Way easier to stand behind cover manually and fire without using "bulettime". If you have painkiller and you have been shot, you need to kill a guy who killed you in slo-mo to revive yourself. It's broken. If you have been shot from behind or your gun isn't loaded you are dead anyway. Besides that, after successful "reviving" Max Payne lies on a ground like bag of trash which makes him a good target. Game uses cut-scene often to show us how Max Payne entering next room. It automatically switches your currently weapon to pistol or submachinegun even if its have no ammo. So you need to switch your weapon to rifle or shotgun again. After cut-scenes doors close behind you with no reason and Max Payne automatically chooses dumbest cover in a room with bunch of bad guys. How lame is that?
    Plus game have few chapter with AI partner which means a lot of unskippable cut-scenes and we forced to watch this hear stupid lines like "Take care!" or "Ok just keep it quiet!" or "We need to took him down!" repeatable. Boring.

Some levels are fun and killing are pretty satisfying though. Still this game is more like mediocre GTA spin-off than Max Payne game.
  32. Oct 27, 2015
    Unlike other games in the series, Max Payne 3 attempts to address social issues instead of the main character’s personal issues, such as police violence, the gap between the rich and the poor and drug trafficking in Brasil.

Here, the rich try to live the American life style, while the poor are slaughtered. Payne witnesses a favela raid and a prison riot, in scenes reminiscent of some Brazilian movies like City of God, Carandiru and Elite Squad.

Even after facing a satanic gang, Max Payne is still surprised by the violence of the Brazilian police. In this game, the police are the real enemy, not gangsters. The police are involved in the most heinous crimes, with the support of a corrupt politician. This becomes clear when the gang boss becomes the victim, and Max Payne allows him to kill the doctor who was involved in organ trafficking.

The game features a São Paulo dominated by organized and disorganized crime. A Brasil that worships football, where poor people are killed by the police, while the rich are vying with each other through drug watered parties. Is this so far from reality?

There are two interesting characters: the American ex-cop who does volunteer work in Brazil, and the sex tourist. Both sides of the relationship between Brazilians and Americans. But in the end, Payne is the one who breaks the leg of the corrupt politician. Not unlike any american action movie, after all.
  33. Oct 15, 2015
    The worst 3rd person shooter i have ever seen . No AI. bad graphics . meaningless faces. 1 man against 1000 kills atmosphere . Not a realistic game just a shooter for kid to have fun some time..
  34. Aug 1, 2015
    I'm enjoying the game. One of the best I played.
    Beautiful graphics. Great storyline. And the traditions of original Max Payne are kept.
    There was nothing i disliked about the game.
  35. Jul 15, 2015
    One would expect much more from this game. Max Payne 3 has hardly any assets its predecessors had. In few spots Rockstar`s charm shows but that is too few and far between. What we get is a mediocre shooter that might have been great if not for some costly mistakes.

GAMEPLAY Mindnumbing and unsatifsfactory. Very saddening for me since all the other adventures of Max were great action

GAMEPLAY
    Mindnumbing and unsatifsfactory. Very saddening for me since all the other adventures of Max were great action games with great controls and nice shootouts. None of that here so the whole game is ruined because of that. First of all the controls are sluggish and unresponsive. All the control sequences like flips or taking cover feel like separate figures. You hit the buttons but Max responds with big delay. For example the player cannot do a smooth transition from a flip to taking cover and receives needless hits. Also the bullet time dives are awkward as they rarely help in any way but to get Max out of cover into enemy fire.
    The levels are claustrophobic with only one way to go. The level setting through the whole game is this : you enter a level, you shoot swarms of enemies, cutscene, repeat. And even if the cutscenes are somewhat good, you can`t help but think that again all you will be doing in a moment is exactly the same.
    So as I said, there are swarms of enemies - all of them run around, take cover, shoot. Pretty standard. But for Max to kill them you need a headshot, eitherwise the goons are bullet sponges. So you get into an office room with a 45ammo Uzi and have to deal with 7-10 guys, every one of them take 1/3 of the clip to be killed. The other scripted scenes don`t surprise in any ways and are painfully predictable.
    So the player keeps mashing the mouse button in hope something interesting might happen but no, nothing like that comes into play.
    There`s hardly anything interactive in the levels so you feel like walking into a box. Everytime you walk into the next level, a trap door closes and you can`t go back. There is no freedom here, just stiff shooting in poorly made settings.

GRAPHICS
    Mediocre. Some textures are terrible, some are ok. Everything has been dated since the release of this game. The colors are purposefully washed out to improve the game mood. Both the levels and actor models look artificial. None of it makes a realistic impression.

STORY
    Well written. Some cliches are here ofcourse but that couldn`t be avoided imo. Max` story is a sad and painful one, exactly how it should be. The cutscenes where he drinks or wakes up after a drinking night are surprisingly amusing. This influences all the other scenes where he`s just a stupid gunman for hire, killing hundreds of different people. For this reason alone the story is engaging as the player want to stick with Payne to the end of game.

MUSIC/FX
    That is a second and last good part about Max Payne 3. All the sounds are very nice and immersive. The guns and explosions sound exactly like they should. The dynamic music does everything it can to empower story scenes and shootout scenes. Dialogues are worthy of listening to and some sequences like the Brazilian discoteque stand out among other similar games.

So suming it up it ain`t a bad game. Great at some points but mostly boring. I`d give it a 7 but the extensive DLCs and obligatory Social Club account (another worthless account) make it even worse and even good multiplayer in this game cannot make up the plethora of lost opportunities.
  36. Jun 2, 2015
    BOY, was this game fun!!!!
    This is nostalgic game, bringing back good old memories of MAX Payne 1 and 2.
    Beautifully executed, this game kept me hanging on till the end. Play on Hard right away, and you will have some real memorable challenge that could be remembered from first two games. Brilliantly engineered mechanics and good graphics are not even what make this game so epic. The
    BOY, was this game fun!!!!
    This is nostalgic game, bringing back good old memories of MAX Payne 1 and 2.
    The Story is indeed great, and ending is satisfying.
    I have very little time for Video Games, and i dont regret one bit spending those hours to be truly entertained.
    This is GOTY 2012 so far!!! Don't hesitate, to buy this amazing work. There is only one negative aspect: if you die, you cant scip long scenematics, but who cares?
  37. May 26, 2015
    My opinion!: My favorite game of all time, played it through 5-6 times and I just keep going back every 5-6 months. There's just some kind of satisfaction I get from this game, the 80's action movie style of this game just melts my brain. It's just too perfect for me. My favorite soundtrack too... Just so weird... Max Payne will you marry me?
  38. May 13, 2015
    7 rating
    nice graphics and nice character of max.
    Nice game!,Good cut scene,i like the way the max describes the situation.
    I played all of its series.thanks to rockstar for not using the formula of repeating the stage like in previous series's games.
  39. May 13, 2015
    I've read the negative reviews to find what people complain about the most. It was "lack of gameplay and unending cut-scenes." I love the Noir genre, and this game implements the narrative of the Noir fiction with extreme quality and depth of understanding. The story is so involving, i stayed up deep into the night, just to find out what the story kept from me, and what would happenI've read the negative reviews to find what people complain about the most. It was "lack of gameplay and unending cut-scenes." I love the Noir genre, and this game implements the narrative of the Noir fiction with extreme quality and depth of understanding. The story is so involving, i stayed up deep into the night, just to find out what the story kept from me, and what would happen next. The game balances action (player shooting) with the story-telling (cinematic interludes) and thus moves the whole plot with highly lubricated efficiency. I really-really enjoyed this game for this specific quality - ability to grab me, plunge into the story, which as a player i am part of to such an extent that i cannot stop playing. Amazing game. Expand
  40. Apr 25, 2015
    It's like uncharted in neo-noir sauce. If you want 10 hours of epic bullet shots and dark history with awesome monologues of protagonist, go to the shop.
  41. Mar 24, 2015
    Max Payne 3 is lifted up by its story telling and graphical presentation. It unfortunately falls due to wonky controls, poor optimization, and totally generic gameplay. The story starts off well and has you interested in what happens next but about half way through the game you'll have figured everything out and it just doesn't have the suspense it did at the beginning. On PC, the gameMax Payne 3 is lifted up by its story telling and graphical presentation. It unfortunately falls due to wonky controls, poor optimization, and totally generic gameplay. The story starts off well and has you interested in what happens next but about half way through the game you'll have figured everything out and it just doesn't have the suspense it did at the beginning. On PC, the game has a subpar control scheme and if you want to take advantage of all the mechanics in the game you'll have to do some serious rebinding. My biggest disappointment was the gameplay. I heard about bullet-time and how great it is but it just feels like a gimmick that doesn't make sense and really isn't any fun. The gunplay without the bullet-time is not particularly fun nor well done. My biggest disappointment however was how short the story was for what i expected to be a singleplayer oriented game. I finished the story on medium in around 8 hours. There's not much of a reason to want to replay the game since half of it is cutscenes which are unskippable because of how long the levels take to load. They added an unnecessary multiplayer mode because evidently every good singleplayer game needs to be ruined by the inclusion of such a mode. It's not good and nobody plays it either. Overall I'm highly disappointed in this purchase and recommend everyone staying away. Expand
  42. Mar 9, 2015
    "There it was, like a cheap bottle of bourbon at a discount liquor store, on sale and just begging for me to play it; I knew I was in for a long night." And indeed I was, because 'Max Payne 3' is one of the best stories that I've watched unfold in quite a while. Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking that this game has far too many cut-scenes for anyone to find the story even"There it was, like a cheap bottle of bourbon at a discount liquor store, on sale and just begging for me to play it; I knew I was in for a long night." And indeed I was, because 'Max Payne 3' is one of the best stories that I've watched unfold in quite a while. Now I know what you're thinking, you're thinking that this game has far too many cut-scenes for anyone to find the story even remotely engrossing, that nobody buys a game to watch it - they buy it to play it, and I probably would have agreed with you early on in the story. But after around the third act, I stopped caring that the cut-scenes were constantly interrupting the gameplay, and sat back and began treating 'Max Payne 3' as a fantastic interactive movie, eagerly awaiting the next scene to move the story along.

"All that is gold does not glitter, or at least that's what I was told before the world decided to stab me in the back and twist the knife." Another aspect that made this game extremely fun to watch is how pretty the graphics are, and how stylized the look feels while maintaining that gritty undertone that made the original 'Max Payne' so enjoyable. The action here is on par with what you would expect from a blockbuster movie, the writing is just as clever as the earlier 'Max Payne' games, and hearing Max speak that drunken philosophy of a man who has it all figured out but just doesn't care is great to hear again. The entire game just feels very reminiscent of the earlier releases, while managing to feel fresh and new at the same time.

"They say it's the small things that make life worth living, funny, I guess I never got that memo." I love how 'Max Payne' takes out some of the most annoying aspects of games these days. Like having to press a button to climb a ladder, or open a door, or interact with anything. Or how Max automatically reloads his gun or begins to walk just before a cut-scene. It's tiny details like this that made this game especially enjoyable for me to play through. Aside from that 'Max Payne 3' stays fairly true to the original, and I know some people really hated the addition of cover, but for me, it still feels like the 'Max Payne' that I grew up loving. If you were a fan of the Max Payne of old, you're sure to like the new and improved one as well. "It was over faster than it began, like an hour with a harlot, the time had come to finish."
  43. Feb 28, 2015
    I'm not sure why this game did not get the attention it deserves, maybe Rockstar saved money on the marketing of this game for GTA V. However, I personally feel this game is one of the best Rockstar titles. The shooting is fun and challenging. Some people were disappointed due to the unskippable cutscenes. I agree they should have made it possible to skip them but they really make the gameI'm not sure why this game did not get the attention it deserves, maybe Rockstar saved money on the marketing of this game for GTA V. However, I personally feel this game is one of the best Rockstar titles. The shooting is fun and challenging. Some people were disappointed due to the unskippable cutscenes. I agree they should have made it possible to skip them but they really make the game immersive and movie-like. First playthrough I did not skip anything because I was genuninely intrigued by the story and voice acting. When replaying missions though, they do get boring but it's not really a big issue for me though. I still found myself playing through all the levels over and over again, collecting the golden guns. The gameplay mechanics are very comfortable. The controls are well refined, which is a huge problem in many of the recent games. The animations are fluid and the gameplay is just really fast. The shooting is very satisfying especially when you see the bullets in slow motion decimating the goons. The game is challenging at times especially if you play on hard, but I was never stuck on any level for too long. This may be a small thing but the ambience and music is also very fitting and motivating. I absolutely love the soundtrack. To summarise, I think this game is absolutely brilliant and very entertaining. I had more fun playing this than GTA V honestly. If you are considering buying this game, I'd say just go for it. Expand
  44. Jan 27, 2015
    Locked on cutscenes forced to watch over and over for challenge modes defeats the point in challenge modes i was not going to sit there for 3000 years rewatching the damn cut scenes to do that.

Bugs map level bugs weapon bugs model bugs texture errors all on 2 copies of the game even on 360 the story was ok COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2 Missed the comic style missed the Film

the story was ok

COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2
    Missed the comic style missed the Film noir scenes like in MP and Mp2

THIS WAS A CASH GRAB ON A ESTABLISHED NAME it was totally different game

Don't make another max payne you ruined it enough.....................
  45. Jan 10, 2015
    Ok... Es un análisis muy muy largo, así que lo resumiré aquí: Galería de disparos, frustración, repetir, cinemática, galería de disparos, frustración, repetir, cinemática, galería de disparos, pasar, cinemática, galería de disparos, y se repite hasta que terminas el juego.

Max Payne 3 es uno de los juegos mas sobrevalorados que eh visto en mi vida. Tiene tantos problemas... Tiene tanto que deja deseando....

Yo jugué a los 2 primeros Max Payne, el primero estubo... Bien... No era de lo mejor, tenia sus problemas pero entretenia. Luego llego Max Payne 2 y fue la ostia. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia interesante, con sus momentos comicos y oscuros, la ambientación oscura junto con un buen catalogo de amras y una banda sonora increible. El theme de Max Payne es uno de mis favoritos. Y me pregunto que paso...? !!¿QUE PASO EN ESTA SECUELA?!!
    Voy a comparar este titulo con los anteriores, especialmente MP2, por lo que va a sufrir. Así que empecemos.

Hablemos de lo bueno del titulo para ver lo poco que tiene a su favor. Los gráficos y el detalle de interiores, son muy buenos. Eh visto a gente por todas partes aclamandolos, puedes destruir múltiples objetos, ves las heridas de bala en todos los personajes, los personajes están detallados, y tienen detalles de cosas pequeñas como libros, computadores, letreros, sillas, etc. Sin embargo, llega lo malo... No puedes apreciar los interiores por que este juego es una orgía de balas y muerte. Siempre ahí alguien disparando, explotando algo, o tu estas mirando las CINEMÁTICA ETERNAS. Las cinemática ocultan los tiempos de carga... Y este juego tiene mucho tiempo de carga. Hay veces en las que casi termina la cinemática y me deja saltarmela por que ya termino de cargar despues de que la cinemática casi terminara, aparte de que duran mucho, algunas son inútiles. Un ejemplo de cinemática inútil son cuando te tiran una granadas de humo, si, el juego tiene que parar para admirar como te tiran una pta granada de humo... Y ni hablar de los momentos prefabricados que abundan.

Y que tal si hablamos de la jugabilidad? Empecemos por la I.A. Es decente... Usara cobertura normalmente, pero aveces van corriendo hacía ti como suicidas. Y ni hablar de la dificultad, se pasan con ella. Jugué en modo normal y aun así la dificultad llega a ser ligeramente superior que en el modo de dificultad inicial de MP2. Y la jugabilidad no a mejorado en nada. Es mas bien una refinación moderna y nada mas. No ahí sigilo, a pesar que el juego tiene algunas zonas donde la historia dice que ahí que ser sigiloso... No tiene el inventario de MP2, donde antes podías llevar un arma de cada tipo aquí te limitas a 3, 2 si usas 2 pistolas a la ves, por que Max no tiene un imán en la espalda como Lara Croft. En lo que mas evoluciona este juego es en que ahora si saltas es por tiempo infinito hasta que caigas, antes solo era por un instante, ahora es cuando tocas tierra, y añade una forma para evitar la muerte, que si tienes un frasco de pastillas puedes usarlo si matas al ultimo tipo que te disparo, una forma de quitar algo de frustración. Sin embargo, también la cagn con eso, casi siempre tu mirada estará en un ángulo imposible de darle, por lo que no podrás dispararle por que todo te esta tapando la vista.

Y ni mencionar lo que quitan de entregas pasadas, como el inventario infinito, el modo bullet time rápido que te permitía recibir menos daño y recargar super rápido de MP2, y la posibilidad de usar granadas, NO PUEDES USAR GRANADAS pero los enemigos si pueden...

Hablemos de la historia... Como empieza? Pues empezamos sin contexto matando a un tipo en un aeropuerto, y de ahí vamos al pasado, vemos que Max ahora es guardaespaldas y empieza un tiroteo, de ahí vamos 2 niveles mas y pasamos al pasado. La historia no tiene un enfoque, nos mandan al futuro en el inicio, después al pasado cuando Max es guardaespaldas, de ahí vamos a America donde antes estaba Max, volvemos al futuro, nos narran todo como si fueramos idiotas y no pudiéramos seguir la historia, no tiene enfoque y mas parece una excusa para matar gente. No sientes que haces nada en la trama, eres el que mira a Max por horas en las cinemática y cuando ahí que matar tomas el control... En MP2 también matabas y ya, pero ahí las cinemática duraban a lo mucho 2 minutos, por lo que al menos no sentías que tu tenias que hace algo en la historia, en especial por que las cinemática eran comics y distinguías la acción de la historia, aquí duran de 2 a 14, sin mencionar que son constantes ya que si pasas una viene otra sin parar. Y ya no son comics, ahora son cinemática modernas con el motor del juego.

Hablemos un poco mas de lo bueno... Siempre estas fuera de numero, eres tu contra unos 100 por mision. Dirán que es malo por que es frustrante... Pues si, es de doble filo, pero si usas el bullet time y tienes un lugar amplio no esta tan duro... Los corredores son lo malo...

De echo este juego tiene todo lo malo que puede tener un juego... Tiene corredores lineales, cinemática sin parar, no tiene formas de hacer al jugador interactuar con el mundo, hordas frustrantes con una dificultad fuera de mundo, una historia que no es interesante ni tiene un final decente, sus mecánicas no innovan en nada ni al menos ser nuevas en la franquicia, momentos prefabricados sin parar, alejar a la franquicia de su carril original, personajes sin desarrollar que vienen y van...

NO ES UN MAL JUEGO. NO LO ES. Pero tiene tantos cambios para mal, que no innovan, que te hacen esperar como si esto fuera el cine... Este juego no es un digno sucesor de MP2 y creo que esta tan sobrevalorado por que es similar a CoD. No eh jugado a CoD en mucho tiempo, ni en PC. Pero CoD son explosiones, hordas de enemigos, muchas cinemática, historia poco interesante y frustración por el MP. Como la frustración de la campaña normal... Puede que me equivoque en la comparación de CoD con MP3, pero aun así no es un buen juego. Es uno promedio... No es ni malo ni bueno... Es muy mediocre... Divertido aveces... Y decepcionante... Yo quería un nuevo capitulo de la historia gris de Max Payne, aquí apenas tiene mejoras, han removido cosas... Este juego tiene MP, seguro que es bueno, pero no tiene servidores dedicados este juego. No tiene servidores dedicados... Este juego lo recomendaría por 3 dolares, no mas. De hecho, si tienes para elegir entre MP3 o MP2 elige el 2. Max Payne 2 es un juego mejor, no estara tan actualizado, pero al final es mejor. Este juego...

Rockstar lo podría haber hecho mucho mejor... Pero es lo que es... Le doy un 05/10, es dolorosamente promedio, si llegas a jugar MP seguro mejora y llega a un 06/10, pero sin servidores dedicados ni muchos amigos con este juego no lo puedo jugar ni contar. Si tienes 3 dolares vale la pena, pero no mas, ni en broma... Me encanto Max Payne 2 y me duele que el 3 sea tan... Es un corredor de disparos, es casi un shooter genérico...
  46. Dec 20, 2014
    FANTASTIC game. One of the best action games i have ever play. I found better from previous max payne games because may payne 3 has better gameplay, more locations , good story and is ROCKSTAR... A must buy. MAX PAYNE 3 deserve BETTER sales. I hope for similar max payne 4 from Rockstar
  47. Dec 15, 2014
    Max Payne 3 is the last game in the trilogy Max Payne, which is developed and published by Rockstar Games (R *). In Max Payne 3 continues the story of Detective Max Payne city New York City. Max begins a new life working private security and protection specifically for a family in the San Paulo, Brazil. When you put the target on the family clans, Max has no choice but to save their lives.Max Payne 3 is the last game in the trilogy Max Payne, which is developed and published by Rockstar Games (R *). In Max Payne 3 continues the story of Detective Max Payne city New York City. Max begins a new life working private security and protection specifically for a family in the San Paulo, Brazil. When you put the target on the family clans, Max has no choice but to save their lives. From what I know, the game stayed a lot of time in development, but, in my opinion, even a game came out so good that I take at least 10 hours related to PC. Animation and frameworks that have been used games give an air of film, which can sometimes feel like you're watching a movie.

Story 14/15
    Extra 4/5
    Replay Value 5/5

Last score: 96
  48. Dec 3, 2014
    Este juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el arco argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadas creoEste juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el arco argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadas creo que el cambio de narrativa refresco el juego el cual lo necesitaba y los escenarios estan MUY bien elaborados.

Mi calificacion 10/10
  49. Dec 3, 2014
    Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game,Too much cutscenes, boring playing and boring story. I literally haven't seen a game as overrated as this one. Waste of money. I am having hard time believing how people rate this game so high. It must be under 15 kids who never got the chance to play original 1 & 2. What a pitty. If you are a skilless kid who doesn't expect anything but shooting a gun and watching long videos from a game, buy it. Otherwise, stay away. Expand
  50. Dec 1, 2014
    I paid the game and the game got installed. It just didn't work on PC. Tons of people have issues with the Rockstar social club overlay.
    A few days after my purchase, I still can't play. The money I spent is not for entertainment. It was spent for doing quality assurance for Rockstar's social club.
  51. Nov 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Firstly, it makes no sense to see him so depressed about his family and Mona's death, if you finished the second one on the hardest difficulty she survived and came to terms with the loss of his family...
    Secondly, this games focus in on slomo gun-play, not narrative... and the comic book style of narrative delivery is replaced with long cut-scenes
    Thirdly, the focus Isn't on Max (and/or his relationship with Mona) it is on some rich snobs who employed him
    I could go on but, Its not a terrible game, assuming that you have NOT played the first two before otherwise itll be hard not to judge it harshly
  52. Nov 24, 2014
    I have tried out hundreds of games this year and finished none of them. But THIS was what I was waiting for! A truly magnificent game in every respect. Captivating story line, fantastic graphics and physics, and very enjoyable gameplay. I don't think I can fault this game. The detail in the little things gives this game great character. From the hilarious tv stations to Max playing hisI have tried out hundreds of games this year and finished none of them. But THIS was what I was waiting for! A truly magnificent game in every respect. Captivating story line, fantastic graphics and physics, and very enjoyable gameplay. I don't think I can fault this game. The detail in the little things gives this game great character. From the hilarious tv stations to Max playing his favorite tune on the piano before being thrown into yet another heroic gun battle. It not only kept all the charm of the previous series, but has managed to add so much more! Well done Rockstar for creating another piece of unforgettable video game history! Expand
  53. Oct 31, 2014
    It a very good game, but not the same fun as GTA series. I did not even finish it, it started to become boring. Maybe I just love to drive a car like in GTA :)
  54. Sep 27, 2014
    Awful.

Gameplay and interface are heavy consolized. You can't find here a rapid adrenaline action, like in previous games, just a hours of boring shooting from the covers. Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game,
    Awful.

Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game, because I started wanting to drop it after first hour - and the plot only making more blunt after it. Seriously, the one of the worst storyline in AAA-videogames ever, including Call of Duties.

Visual style and soundtrack scores solid 0/10
  55. Sep 21, 2014
    For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.For the second time, I played through several chapters and saved, shut the game down, and came back later only to find that much of my progress had been wiped out. Again: I didn't go back to a specific chapter and I allowed the game to save as you are supposed to. I don't "have read-only enabled" or any other stupid **** I just played the game as intended, and lost half my progress.

**** Rockstar for **** all over the PC versions of their games. This will be the last Rockstar title that I buy.
  56. Sep 9, 2014
    I love this game. Not only is Max the grizzliest, most metaphorical detective to grace the gaming world, but his third game is amazing. Gunplay - fantastic; the tightest third person shooter I've probably ever played. Plot - gripping; seamless transition from gameplay to cutscenes, and a well-thought out political drama which Rockstar pulled off in the weirdest setting - Sao Paulo, Brazil.I love this game. Not only is Max the grizzliest, most metaphorical detective to grace the gaming world, but his third game is amazing. Gunplay - fantastic; the tightest third person shooter I've probably ever played. Plot - gripping; seamless transition from gameplay to cutscenes, and a well-thought out political drama which Rockstar pulled off in the weirdest setting - Sao Paulo, Brazil.

You have to play this on PC to get the full experience - 60fps and max settings make this a gorgeous, slick, and smooth as **** ride to get through. Seriously, I didn't even care about the complete linearity of the game, because I wanted to stay on the beaten track so much.

James McCaffrey nails it once again as Max Payne. 9.4/10.
  57. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  58. Aug 13, 2014
    There is no Max Payne 3. It looks nice, it is out there along with all the other good looking games, it has all the whistles and bells for a good decent game, you know, the gangsta stuff R.star is good at. But this is not Max Payne 3. Play MP 1&2 and my affirmation will make sense.
  59. Aug 12, 2014
    Great graphics, story, and gameplay. I would normally give this game an 8 out of 10, but giving it a 10 to offset stupid reviews that give it a 0 just because it wasn't a game you assumed it was. A 0 should only be given to a game that is completely unplayable, aka it doesn't run at all and you couldn't play a single minute of the game.

Game has excellent action and storyline. Has a

Game has excellent action and storyline. Has a lot of cut scenes and a lot of action. Very enjoyable.
  60. Jul 23, 2014
    Sorry, this is just not a Max Payne game. It's some type of tech demo for a Rockstar engine. To be honest it took me more time to download than I have played it, so you can imagine how it made me feel. Graphically not that amusing, gameplay is boringly repetitive and the designers just don't know how to trigger events any other way than "five steps then five enemies". Highly disappointingSorry, this is just not a Max Payne game. It's some type of tech demo for a Rockstar engine. To be honest it took me more time to download than I have played it, so you can imagine how it made me feel. Graphically not that amusing, gameplay is boringly repetitive and the designers just don't know how to trigger events any other way than "five steps then five enemies". Highly disappointing and not happy with the critics. Expand
  61. Jul 1, 2014
    Got MP3 on Steam for about 9€ with all DLC included. I haven't played other max payne titles so I'm not particularly attached to franchise in any way, nor did I had great expectations.

For a 3rd preson shooter PC game, the gameplay and mechanics are well thought and the graphics are pretty good. Textures have reasonable. Physics and environment destructibility are also OK, but nothing to radical.

On the campaign and the story as a whole it's pretty meh...I mean it's not bad it's just nothing out of your ordinary action plot, and sometimes you might even predict certain outcomes. The story is also pretty linear. The quantity cutscenes in this game may not appeal to some, but I suppose it's part of the action driven movie formula kinda game...Overall it's a good a game for less than 10€.
  62. Jun 25, 2014
    Este juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el angulo argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadasEste juego demuestra que un Thirth Person Shotter puede tener una historia larga y profunda, jugablidad excelente, y lo que mas me gusta el angulo argumental tanto de los protagonistas como los P. Secundarios, teniendo en cuanta que llega ha haber una conexion con cada personaje, la narrativa de comic se reemplazaron por un estilo mas "moderno" de un orden colores y palabras resaltadas creo que el cambio de narrativa refresco el juego el cual lo necesitaba y los escenarios estan MUY bien elaborados.

Mi calificacion 10/10
  63. Jun 24, 2014
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter... You are forced to do Railroad like missions, you can't move like you want in missions (and you could move where ever you want in the good old max payne games, like in the hotel mission or the other crazy cool missions). Now you are
    not really like the original good Max Payne 1 and 2.
    I really tried to like it...but i couldn't!
    Max Payne 3 is like a Trippe A cutscene, railroadshooter...
    Now you are forced to walk in one direction and if you fail, reload at checkpoint and try again.
    There are also VERY ANNYOING Railroad missions, like you are sitting in a helicopter and you are forced to shoot enemys...if you fail, do it again WTF? I want move with Max payne and kill the enemys on my way!
    This is the worst thing they could do with the max payne series.
    I had not fun with the new max payne...the multiplayer was is okay, but the singleplayer isn't good...
    Like AVGN would say "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?"
    Please go back to roots!
  64. Jun 15, 2014
    I'm simply amazed by the effort that Rockstar put into the development of the PC version. I have heard that this one is not a port, but a game that was simultaneously developed along with its console counterparts. By seeing the way Rockstar optimized this game for PC, I can, without a doubt, say that GTA V on PC is going to be pretty awesome.
  65. Jun 11, 2014
    Its an OK game. The story line is OK, it works for a video game. The mechanics, fit for Max Payne. The graphics are pretty good.

Some things that really f'n bother me. W T F with the asinine cut scenes. I am not saying they sucked or that there were too many, but why in gods name do video games want to think for me. Two instances: The first one, when you are in the slums and there

Two instances:

The first one, when you are in the slums and there are three people being held in a room at gun point, you just fought an army to get here and instead of giving you the chance to AT LEAST SLOW TIME THROUGH THE DOOR and kill as many as you can, NO, you are going to be a dumb ass and walk in and try to talk it over. W T F.

Second instance, having the shootout with another army of bad guys at the graveyard, which is way over the top of realism, but works for a PC arcade game, there is a sniper in the tower, your mission is to flank him and take him out, but you must do it it parts as you have to run to cover. Every time you run to cover a bunch of bad guys come out of this building and you have to shoot them to move on, finally flanking the sniper and killing him. This is all fine and dandy, BUT THEN LIKE YOUR F'N BRAINS FELL OUT WHILE YOU WERE WALKING UP THE STAIRS TO THE BUILDING THAT ALL THE BAD GUYS WERE JUST POURING OUT OF, you casually walk inside looking to hide and BAMN! instantly surrounded by all of the bad guys that had yet to run out and get shot by you. W T F.

I understand that story writing is a disappearing art, but really, you cannot find better ways for the story to progress then to take a character that is supposed to be experienced and have them do all of these smart things, and then walk into situations like he just fell off the F'N turnip truck.

Please, STOP MAKING DECISIONS for gamers during game-play. It is bad enough when a game is so linear that I have to follow a line that any sensible person knows is going to end up badly, but this game takes those options off the table. Not only must you follow that line, but you will watch in a form of stupification on what you had to do, then watch a cut-scene where you infinitely facepalm yourself for realizing that even though you knew this was going to end badly, there is not anything you can do about it.

Graphics 7, audio 7, gameplay outside of pre-made decisions 6, story line 6, linear game 5, constantly kicking the player in the nuts after every fight or unchangeable decision 10, but this really is a negative aspect so 1.

The game is not state of the art, and the decisions the hero makes reverses any amount of coolness you may have just pulled off in bullet time. Over all the game gets a 5.

Rockstar, we all know you can do better. Please stop settling on this crap.If you need guidance, look at your other games like L.A. Noire and GTA V.
  66. Jun 6, 2014
    I really miss the old style 'noir' in previous games, but without affecting nostalgia, is a quite acceptable sequel and a very good shooter. (oh! and the music its just perfect)
  67. May 27, 2014
    Egyszerűen remek játék volt. Történet persze ismerős lehet de a játék dinamikája és a hangulata oda szegez a géphez és nem enged... A fő szereplőt a lehető legjobban találták el, azonosulni pedig 1-2 ember biztos fog (köztük én is) majd vele. A zenék pedig zseniálisak itt ott noir de ez miért lenne baj... Remélem lesz Max Payne 4 is...
  68. May 25, 2014
    One of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quitOne of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quit **** and go be a badass. Expand
  69. Vex
    May 13, 2014
    This game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th timeThis game is so monotonous, linear and boring, words can't even begin to express. There are only 3 mechanics in the game: shooting, examining trivia and pushing buttons/pulling levers. The game throws waves upon waves of enemies at you, which not only kills any semblance of realism, but also makes sure you get frustrated for having to replay the same section/hangar/floor for the n-th time after getting killed in the stupidest way possible. It is not possible to approach problems stealthily, use tactics or any kind of planning; instead the game will often do the stupidest thing - Max will open a big door to a room full of enemies (big surprise) and literally throw himself in the midst of them, trying to shoot them up using slo-mo instead of staying where he is and taking them out from there.

The only saving grace of this game is nice graphics and really good voice acting. It appears as though Rockstar wanted to make a movie instead of a game. It plays like a half-baked shooter from 1998.

What a waste of time. Avoid.
  70. May 11, 2014
    Nine years. That’s long it took for Max Payne to get his **** together and return to the stage. Our beloved action hero might have aged, grew some white hair and wrinkles but his moves remained sharp and polished. He is still the killing machine who once extinguished half New-York’s underworld for his loved ones.

MORE ON: http://proncons.22web.org This time around we find Max in the

MORE ON: http://proncons.22web.org

This time around we find Max in the sunny Brazil instead of the snowy streets of the Big Apple. It’s a nice, but sometimes strange change of scenery. He’s working for the Bronco family as their bodyguard, but as usually things turn upside down pretty quickly around him. The narrative is a masterpiece. We jump in time back and forth as the story unfolds, because hey, guess what even our hero doesn’t know everything. A dark plot is growing around him and he has to act on his instincts to keep himself and the others alive while he slowly findis out his part in the grand scheme. It’s a really well written story with major turns and very effective scenes and if there’s one thing that topples that it’s Max’s script. James McCaffrey brings the best to make us feel that we are playing an interactive story. His lines are funny, witty and sad in the same time, but we don’t have much time to stop and think about it because the next shootout will surely interrupt our thoughts.

Yes, the gunplay occupies the major part of the game. It’s very cinematic. The master of the bullet time returns and he has some new tricks up in his sleeves. It’s a superb mechanic that works very well in most cases. As for usual, our health doesn’t regenerate so we have to pop up some painkiller bottles every now and then to ease the pain. What is a minor letdown that – and in this matter the game still resonates with its predecessors – there is really only one way how to handle things. Kill them, shoot them, burn them, explode them. You can’t take any silent routes there as enemies will almost instantly see you if you get out of cover. As a matter of fact, the AI is so super aware that enemies will know where you are and how to flank you even if you switch cover and they weren’t looking at the time. This is what makes the game very frustrating sometimes. It’s simply too difficult even on normal settings and there’s really no room for error or you’re dead. Add that to the fact that it will take around 3-4 bullets to take you down and you’ve got a very tough game. The devs probably acknowledged this fact in the late stage of the production as it seems they tried to put some lifelines for the players. For starters there is a more than forgiving checkpoint system. After almost all of the rooms you’ve cleared you get a checkpoint. Also there is this lifeline when you fail a couple of times in the same place and the game gives you a pill, like saying “hey, we know it’s difficult, try with this!”

The game looks absolutely astonishing. Emphasis was put on every detail, every little object. Most of the characters look real-like mostly Max Payne. Every wrinkle on his face has a story behind it. Every cut scene is in-game which makes the story even more believable. To be honest you’ll see one in every five minutes or so. For some it could be too much, but it develops the story in a unique way.

Even tough the gameplay can get repetitive towards the end – after all what you only do in the 10-12 hours of the SP campaign is kill an army of enemies – this is one of the best third person shooters in recent years. Max moves and shoots like he did in his thirties and past events has only made him more badass. He’s became hands down one of the greatest action heroes without super powers in gaming from the last decade. Well, he might have a super power after all; I guess his luck really never runs out.

Time to beat: 12 hours
    Replay Value: 2/5
    In one word: Badass
    On P’n’C scale: Instant Favorite
    Must give points: 83

MORE ON: http://proncons.22web.org
  71. Apr 18, 2014
    Been a big fan of the first 2 Max Payne games so when this went out I was excited... until the mixed reviews came out and decided to wait for a Steam sale. It came and got this for for $5.

Holy **** It's far from the original and 'far' as downwards kind of 'far'. I don't know what Rockstar was thinking but Max has been turned into an gun-crazy GTA-style idiot. He always goes for the crazy idiot gunfight approach. The bad guy is in a police station? Charge into the police station with guns in open armpit holsters in broad daylight through the front **** door! Trying to hide from the bad police guys? Run to the bus station and shoot everyone that follows! Trying to find the gang leader? Charge into their town with guns hanging from your holsters and start shooting everyone! The bad guy is in the airport? Charge through the front door and shoot everyone! Why not just go for a sniper rifle and wait for the bad guy to be less protected? No because that is gay! It feels so Grand Theft Auto bombastic testosterone crazy! Always goes for the stupidest cover! Kick down the door into a room full of bad guys and he goes for what? The metal trash can? The corner wall? The ledge? No! He goes for the **** standing suitcase as cover! Always goes for the flimsiest cover all the time! He tries to sneak in cinematics but always gets the enemies to see him and start attacking! **** STUPID! Also no dark brooding environments! The only thing this game has that is impressive is the dialog Max Payne makes when talking to the himself! All the other characters are stupid and behave like morons! What a shameless game! If you like stupid shooters super devoid of common sense this is for you!
  72. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is pretty godamn good. The best thing is that it's like modern games but it stays true to the series. The shooting is solid and also the cover system. The Bullet Time is cooler than ever but the **** annoying video affects shouldn't be in the game even if they wanted to show that Max is in hangover. This game is very good and you should buy it.
  73. Mar 31, 2014
    Over the top blatantly stupid and hilarious. Pure fun.
    Now - to get this straight - this game isn't for anybody and especially the first hour is painful because there is pretty much nothing but cutscenes. And this pretty much sets the tone for the rest of the game.
    Where's the fun in it? The game is basically a satire of Man on Fire (plotwise) with an over the top **** up Max Payne
    Over the top blatantly stupid and hilarious. Pure fun.

Where's the fun in it?
    The game is basically a satire of Man on Fire (plotwise) with an over the top **** up Max Payne talking nothing but garbage and how miserable everything is. This all however in a voice that makes it seem like they were being serious.
    While the game's self-awareness might be subtle at first glance it becomes pretty clear the more you progress in the game constantly getting close ups of you being killed, enemies being killed and exponentially raising the body count.

This however is a lot different to the atmosphere of the first 2 installments of Max Payne - but those were different times and afaic it would have felt outdated if they sticked with it.
    Instead we get a satiric approach to the action game genre with the main focus on story telling.

Now to the bad parts:
    Last shot feature often **** up and you hang in there for 15 seconds waiting until you can finally hit continue
    Shooting from cover sometimes **** up
    Quite a few times you get thrown into enemies shooting at you literally half a second after the cutscene is finished and you not being in cover.

Personal Overall score: 93%
  74. Mar 31, 2014
    Fairly good as a game, greatly disappointing as Max Payne. Stripped out of comic story telling and chronology. Instead we have inhumanely long and boring cutscenes, achievements and collectibles.
    This leads to situations like this: the person you're protecting from tens of enemies says "Come on Max, they'll be more here in a minute!" and you're like "Ok ok, hang on a minute, there might be a gun part in between these flower pots".
    Immensely annoying swapping weapons to your hand gun after EVERY FREAKING cutscene.
    The story is of a different kind. It doesn't feel like you're playing Max Payne at all.
    The constant screen flickering, decomposing and jittering is unnecessary and sometimes irritating too.
    Took me 9 hours on 'casual' and I absolutely suck at shooters.
  75. Mar 30, 2014
    The best Third Person Shooter i've ever played. It was kinda hard to complete some parts of the game but thse story, graphics and controls are just awesome! I really recommend this game (Even if you haven't played other "Max Payne" games.
  76. Mar 22, 2014
    I bought this game on the strength of the last games, and I have to say i'm disappointed with the third.

Pros: Great Graphics : Sometimes the dialogue can be entertaining cons: Have you seen how many pros there are! : Story line was predictable and basic, it must have taken them 5min to write : mechanics were a joke! You think that when a big game company like Rock star makes

Pros: Great Graphics
    : Sometimes the dialogue can be entertaining

cons: Have you seen how many pros there are!
    : Story line was predictable and basic, it must have taken them 5min to write
    : mechanics were a joke!

You think that when a big game company like Rock star makes a game (which is basically on rails, i.e go to this room then this room then down this corridor) they would have put more effort in on the story, and the game-play, but they never.

One of the most irritating points in the game, was whenever it went to a cut-scene, (which in total must be the length of a feature length movie) it swapped my current weapon for the pistol, so while ive been collecting bullets for my assault rifle like a stupid idiot, Max decides to forget all that hard work and instead equip my basic pistol when faced with an army of bad guys! why!!!!

They also added some disorientation to nearly every frame of the game which just got annoying towards the end.

Only buy in a steam sale.
  77. Mar 19, 2014
    Very nice and moody graphics. But not the graphics is, what I'm rating. MP3 is a movie, but you have to press buttons and click your mouse to proceed. Looks like there's lot of work put in this product, but what's the most important, what made previous Max Paine great game is disappointing.
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game
    Yes, I regret spending 7€ on this piece of software.
    Go get some of previous versions of this game and have some fun.
  78. Mar 10, 2014
    Loved it, nice action, nice graphics, story is good, it's like a movie, forget about been super realistic, it's more like a novel, loved it. Also as a multilingual person, I loved how Portuguese sounded through the whole game, much like Elite Squad, Spanish was ok, but that gave the game an extra touch of immersion. Very nice game, totally recommending it.
  79. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was broken up a bit too much by cut scenes, but other than that, I thought this game was fun, had a great story, was immersive and had a lot of violence. I feel it should also be noted that this game, while not the most artistically impressive graphics, looks amazing thanks to a very very strong engine. Great physics, bullet wounds, gun mechanics makes this game look great andThis game was broken up a bit too much by cut scenes, but other than that, I thought this game was fun, had a great story, was immersive and had a lot of violence. I feel it should also be noted that this game, while not the most artistically impressive graphics, looks amazing thanks to a very very strong engine. Great physics, bullet wounds, gun mechanics makes this game look great and make you feel like a real badass, especially in slow motion. This game is also challenging, thanks to not having regenerating health. Expand
  80. Feb 20, 2014
    Max Payne is back and he is pissed. If you are looking for the good old Max Payne experience this is the game. Shoot your way through hundreds of enemies, while in bullet time! It is a cool game if you are looking for this kind of action. But don't expect it to bring fresh things into the genre.
  81. Feb 8, 2014
    This game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let theThis game is the definition of how stupid devs think players are. If you "die", you get a 98% autoaimed, 1 shot kill, superslowmotion, no more damaged, moment that the game makes shure that if you would miss the shot you would probably would have to get put in a mental hospital for how bad you aim. And if you have fought through a long area and have not much hp left and die? well let the game respawn you just a few meter behind your death with full hp, making painkillers much more usless. And this is all on hard. The difficulty of the max payne games drops as the year they're made in increases.
    And not to mention the devs seems like they felt unoriginal enough to hop on the "lets pretend we came up with these locations in some far country where terrorist operate" train. The game has lost its original dark feeling of max payne 1 and 2. You are just a soldier working for others. And terrorists feel like killing people.
  82. Feb 7, 2014
    i really enjoyed this game , the development of max payne's character along with the story is well done ,and the gameplay is fun as ever making the best use of bullet time , as we were used to in the previous games , and in my opinion this is the best max payne game for me
  83. Feb 4, 2014
    An ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. TheAn ok game that might have lived up to its predecessor if not for the overly long unskippable cutscenes, terrible checkpoint save system, and nauseatingly overdone 'TV interference' screen effects. Its not the worst console port, but its still a port. If you load an earlier level, your progress is not saved. The story is decent though, and the various locations looks authentic. The graphics are good (its a huge 31GB download). Some of the set pieces feel like any bland console shooting gallery (on-rails section complete with inaccurate overheating machine gun and unlimited ammo). Flaws aside, Rockstar has made a decent game that still has enough 'Max Payne' in it, but I cant help but think Remedy (who made the first Max Payne games, and the excellent Alan Wake) could have done better. Worth the steam sale price. Expand
  84. Feb 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An alternative name for this game would be "Linear Tales of a Frantic Headshooter". I've never played a more linear and stereotype game. Basically you only watch cutscenes and headshot enemies. Even the shooting and gameplay gets old quite fast. I was also extremely sick of the depressed over-emotional superhuman that Max Payne had become. No deep and meaningful thoughts or revenge to follow. Zero atmosphere, zero detective, zero immersion, only 24/7 whining over everything that happens in the game. Plus it's a brand new world, I was hoping that this game would bring up my memories from old Max Payne. Michelle, dark noir, flashbacks, the feels, the nightmares, the junkies, the story, snowing in the night. Nope, none of it. If you changed Max Payne object for some John Smith and changed 0.1% of the game, you would not even recognize it has to do something with Max Payne world.

Also, I don't think the creators have played this game. After every cutscene Max switches from his whatever currently equipped to a simple beretta. Every time. Whatever you are holding, even it was the HUMAN DESTROYER MACHINE GUN 9001. And it is not even easy to switch back to the gun you held, sometimes you accidentally drop it during the switching. Not to mention many, many, many details and imperfections and annoying mechanics in this game, seriously ffs.

I must say I wanted to recommend this game. For a long time I really wanted, I tried very hard. The only thing that wanted me to recommend were level design and music. Hell those things gave me genuine shivers. I got many "whoa omg wow much epic" moments because of it. It is the only reason why you should play it and trust me you will be stunned. However everything else perfectly balances out this epicness and I'm afraid in the end you are not going to be that pleased.
  85. Jan 11, 2014
    Its a great game, but it has its annoyances as mentioned by others: long, unskippable cutscenes, sometimes to the point that interferes with gameplay, by simply taking off a lot of desired freedom of the player to interact with the environment. Aside from that, the story is good and the actual gameplay is fun as well. I got it for about $5 and it was surely worth every penny. DisregardIts a great game, but it has its annoyances as mentioned by others: long, unskippable cutscenes, sometimes to the point that interferes with gameplay, by simply taking off a lot of desired freedom of the player to interact with the environment. Aside from that, the story is good and the actual gameplay is fun as well. I got it for about $5 and it was surely worth every penny. Disregard people giving this game a zero - this game has its annoyances but it surely has its highlights. I can understand people being upset because I also played MP 1 and 2. I guess I'd also be upset at some extent if I bought it for full retail price. Expand
  86. Jan 11, 2014
    Max Payne 3

One of the best TPS games i've ever played. His wife and daughter's gone and became a killer contracter in Brazil, San Paulo. He find himself trapped between the vast culture of American - Brazillian. Unable to understand their language and things turning bad on him. Pros: 1. Good story plot and twist. Intense action. 2. Controls that feels smooth. 3. Great
    Max Payne 3

One of the best TPS games i've ever played.

Pros:
    1. Good story plot and twist. Intense action.
    2. Controls that feels smooth.
    3. Great performance (on PC) and doesn't feel like a poor console port. Frame rate is generally better than other titles from the same game developer studio (e.g. GTA IV).

Cons:
    1. Playthrough is too short, 5 hours for me on medium difficulty.
    2. Sometimes, cover is too unlimited. Ubsurd spawn of enemies near staircase and areas with cover. Tests a lot on stealth and agility.
    3. Extremely huge file size for a single game, probably due to the large amount of cutscenes (Don't get me wrong, the cutscenes looks amazing).
  87. Jan 6, 2014
    Clearly a good follower of the series.
    Rockstar did a good job with this game.
    Max's voice is present, as well as interior monologue.
    Locations great, furious action, slow motion much better implemented. And last but not least, great optimization.
    Also there are several locations that will delight the nostalgic
  88. Jan 6, 2014
    I highly recommend this game The game has a very good storyline nice gameplay and authentic characters There is no reason why you shouldn't buy it This game is amazing
  89. Dec 27, 2013
    These jerks, you need to have a separate RockStart Account to play the game. I already have a steam account that's enough DRM don't you think? I want my money back.... How about a class action suit.... and new shoes
  90. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity.
  91. Dec 23, 2013
    In my opinion May Payne 3 was the best computer game in this genre. Because the graphics was very good (it was released in 01. Juni 2012) and the game play too. I liked the location in brazil a lot. Rock on!

9/ 10 because you can skip the cut szenes.
  92. Dec 15, 2013
    I didn't bother playing this game on any difficulty under "hard" and it seems like that's the way the game was meant to be played.

The gameplay is very fun. You keep a feeling of mortality the entire time and thus have to carefully plan out your moves or else be forced to replay the scene. Every room is well designed for an action-packed gunfight, even though it really leaves it entirely up to you how you will go about it.

As many people have said and been outraged with, the cutscenes can be long, and it takes a bit before you can skip them. I had no problem with this, however, as the story is very good. If you expect to replay the campaign several hundred times or suffer from untreated ADHD, this might bother you. Otherwise it only contributes to the masterpiece.

The graphics are absolutely stunning. Especially for the time of release, but even still. The environments are full of life in the immediate area, and the distant scenery immerses you in the setting. The environments are constantly changing, from a nightclub rooftop, to the Panama Canal, to the dark, snowy streets of Hoboken. The constant changes in scenery keep things very interesting whilst at the same time aiding the plot.

The violence is pretty extreme (a plus, in my opinion) and gives you a view of bullets entering the faces of your enemies as they wince in pain. You can usually tell when you've scored a kill, not only because the reticule changes color but also because of an awesome spurt of blood from the enemy's head/face.

The entire way through, Max also mutters hundreds of cynical and sometimes hilarious comments about whatever is happening. It's easy to become attached to the main characters with all of the depth and detail that Rockstar provided. With the added subtleties and implications in the story, I think this could easily make a great film

It's disappointing to see so many unsatisfied players and bad reviews. This game instantly made its way to my all-time favorites. I would recommend it to anyone.

... But make sure you play it on hard difficulty!
  93. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens. Many opponents are triggered. And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  94. Dec 8, 2013
    This is a great "game" if you like watching a ton of cut-scenes and then walking few meters while going for the next cut-scene. Literally at worst after one cut-scene you'll walk down a stairway just to watch another one. I'm really glad I bought this game for cheap from a Steam sale. Such a same though since I really liked the original Max Payne games made by Remedy.

Personally for me

Personally for me even the story isn't as interesting as in the previous games which makes the long cut-scenes even more tedious.

On a positive note the game works OK and game play wise (shooting etc.) it plays quite similarly to the old Max Payne games.
  95. Dec 7, 2013
    I found this game in between the lines of awful and fantastic. The main thing that killed part of my love of
    Max Payne 3's amazing game was that he, lost his good sense of humor and become a depressed person who wants to kill him self constantly The gameplay and graphics were brilliant I loved the co-op and muiltiplayer mode the bullet time ideas were fantastic and I would recommend.
  96. Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to a shooter-gallery that holds your hand and treats you like a drooling idiot!

I could mention and rage about the fact, that max payne took 100 steps away from his noir-feeling and awesome comic-strip-storytelling. I could rage about his MTV-like flickering tranistions in the unskippable chores of cutscenenes. I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing

I could hit my head against the monitor after the agonizing account-hell called "Rockstar Club".
    (after denying my fresh created account-data it gave me some random name and let me wait for another 15 minutes. Although my steam account should be enough!?)
    But I will start with the one (not even that) positive thing in this "Game":
    The Animations.
    Enemies move smoothly from cover to cover and dodge our bullets with well animated moves.
    But thats it. I can't think about one other nice thing the game contributed.

The Shootouts feel challenging but not right. Someone wrote that Max Paynes Cover IS the bullet-Time. And so it shouldn't feel so useless with forced in cover-mechanics and Insta-Deaths!
    The Gunfights are mostly a short coverbased casual-bore between the force-fed cutscenes.

The rest of the game seems to give a shat about he player and puts a fishinghook through our nose to drag us from one flickering cutscene to the next.
    Rockstar seems to think we are all brainless dumbsters. Too stupid to use a mouse and shoot at things.
    Best and most hilarious example is the first (short) "Tutorial" that makes us read how we move the mouse and press the left butten.
    Seriously!
    I couldn't believe how patronizing and blatant despising this looks.
    WTF?! You think I am too stupid to shoot at things in a shootergame?!

And why do you have to force me watching your flickering cutscenes for people with the attention-span of a hyperactive toad?! I can't even wrap my head around this anymore. This is just a proof of a failing gaming industry that chums up with the brainless crazies that swarm like zombies into a black friday shopping riot.

I really don't know if I have to feel sorry for you or feel angry. In either way I hope you get bankrupt after the cod-kiddies that consume everybit of your "interactive entertainment" are bored once more and need another stimulating kick in their burnt up synapses.

I regret even spending the little money on the autumn-sale on Steam for this abomination.

Max Payne 3. A maximum payne in the....
  97. Dec 2, 2013
    I don't understand why the reviews for this game are so high. We're talking a linear shooting gallery with lots of cut scenes. I enjoyed a few things, the story's dark noir feel which is in line with the previous game, and the bullet time effects are cool. Enemies respond realistically to being shot (most of the time) which I also enjoyed. It performs well on PC, and doesn't feel like aI don't understand why the reviews for this game are so high. We're talking a linear shooting gallery with lots of cut scenes. I enjoyed a few things, the story's dark noir feel which is in line with the previous game, and the bullet time effects are cool. Enemies respond realistically to being shot (most of the time) which I also enjoyed. It performs well on PC, and doesn't feel like a port. The shooting mechanics are pretty smooth, and the game is challenging. That's about it though, you have no freedom in this game whatsoever. Most of the time I was moving the game even forced me into one particular path. On that path is shooting galleries in which I barely moved. You will watch loads of cut scenes too. The length is awful, It took me thirteen hours to complete the campaign on normal (and I died many times), and at least two hours of that play time was spent watching cut scenes. There's just not enough content or game play to warrant to warrant such a high score. Expand
  98. Dec 1, 2013
    Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with a respectable story, with enjoyable characters, and well done cutscenes that meld into the gameplay (which are your loading screens as well). However the game is absurdly difficult due to fantastic ai and you having the same hp as them(until later levels where they get body armor making them stronger then you) and that you can get one shotted in the headMax Payne 3 is a great shooter with a respectable story, with enjoyable characters, and well done cutscenes that meld into the gameplay (which are your loading screens as well). However the game is absurdly difficult due to fantastic ai and you having the same hp as them(until later levels where they get body armor making them stronger then you) and that you can get one shotted in the head or by shotguns. You too frequently have to spam bullet time (which dries out too fast considering how reliant on it you are) and rely on quite a bit of luck to get through later levels. A lot of these probablems could be fixed if you were given grenades, friendly npcs, or better map layouts to aid you in fight but no, prepare to be bogged down by 5-8 guys who can one shot you in a heartbeat breaking up the awesome gunfights unfortunately. As for the multiplayer it shows massive potential but also is bogged down by horrendous balance issues and a lack of dedicated servers, the unbalance gameplay is has mostly to do with duel pistols which can outgun most weapons at most ranges and body armor does little negate dmg from them even though they slow you down. It's sad that Rockstar abandon what could've been a very addicting online teamfights. All in all a great game when you get a flow going, but can be frustrating at times but worth the buy for it's price when it drops on its frequent sales. Expand
  99. Nov 29, 2013
    This game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers thatThis game is awful and I suggest not paying for this. At first, the game was crashing due to some "Rockstar Social Club" validation errors. After a few days of complaining a patch was released to fix the issues. I was able to play the game for a few days before it started crashing again due to "Social Club" issues. Also the gameplay is terrible and I concur with the reviewers that mentioned the game plays more like a movie, than a game you're continously loosing control of your character. Expand
  100. Nov 24, 2013
    This is not Max Payne that we know from Remedy. This is GTA style Max Payne the brand name. Although glimmers of hope arise throughout playing the game one does not have the same level of aspiration for Max compared to 1 & 2. Gameplay was great, story line was OK and what they've made out of Max's character is the unacceptable bit for me. Max from 1 & 2 was someone to aspire to but in 3 heThis is not Max Payne that we know from Remedy. This is GTA style Max Payne the brand name. Although glimmers of hope arise throughout playing the game one does not have the same level of aspiration for Max compared to 1 & 2. Gameplay was great, story line was OK and what they've made out of Max's character is the unacceptable bit for me. Max from 1 & 2 was someone to aspire to but in 3 he is just a non appealing character. Just go and compare the almost poetic quotes of Max from 1 & 2 to the low grade humour he attempts in 3 and you will see what I am referring to. Expand
  101. Jul 21, 2012
    I am or was the biggest Max Payne fan, but after playing 3 I can't help but point out the flaws in this game since they stick out like a soar thumb! First, it's a port. The games core design was for console gamers and with this comes a whole load of issues. The biggest issue I find in this game is the mouse control. Even with the mouse acceleration turned off it still jerks aroundI am or was the biggest Max Payne fan, but after playing 3 I can't help but point out the flaws in this game since they stick out like a soar thumb! First, it's a port. The games core design was for console gamers and with this comes a whole load of issues. The biggest issue I find in this game is the mouse control. Even with the mouse acceleration turned off it still jerks around hindering my aim! Accuracy in MP3 is so bad that the sniper rifle and other precision weapons are useless. The only effective weapon is the shotgun, but even that is crap even at close range! Aiming is practically useless not only because of the lack of control, but because aiming doesn't zoom in enough or it does zoom in, but you can't move. Talking of moving, why can't Max run!? Running involves speed and yet R* can't get that right! Even the AI can run faster than Max can! I don't even know why R* put a cover system in this game. It's clunky and sticky! The cover system always restricts my movement which is the point of the game, being mobile and dodging bullets! Talking of bullets, where was all the fancy gun physics which R* showcased in their demos? Bullets don't drop at range in this game nor do they penetrate the target like they should. The amount of times I'm denied a head shot because the NPC puts his hand in the way was too frequent as was the amount of times buckshot from the hip completely misses it's target at mid to close ranges. High calibre rounds should penetrate through limbs, even body armor! The loading times are basically covered up by cut-scenes and boy there are a lot of those. If there is anything that does this game justice it would be that the graphics are really good and the slow motion effects are good as well, but that's basically it. Everything else is either a half-arsed or complete crap! Which has really destroyed my expectations from R* and GTAV! To sum this game up; if your a Max Payne fan and you really can't keep hands away from MP3, get the CONSOLE version. The PC one is duff! The overall gameplay is restrictive. Much like what Capcom does with their games, R* had gone for an Arcade style shooter rather than the Bullet Simulator that was promised. MP3 is an all right game, but it's no where nearly as good as MP2 or even Max Payne for that matter. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]