Max Payne 3 PC

7.7

1. Jun 15, 2012
    Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens?Shooting gallery, cutscene, shooting gallery, cutscene, nothing, cutscene, shooting gallery, painfully long cutscene. Max, may i open that door? No, cutscene will do. Max, may i enter the room and shoot the bastards? No, cutscene will enter and choose the most stupid cover for you, and you will do the shooting. Max, may i look around through the sniper rifle scope while nothing happens? No, cutscene will look around for you. Expand
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    It's hard to spoil that kind of game - the recipe is simple and all one needs to do for a successful sequel is to follow it to the letter - but Rockstar managed to screw it up just fine. Boring story, boring gameplay, boring dialogue, and no graphic novels. Oh, and shaky camera. How novel! Yawn.

The first thing that comes out it you is a lengthy cinematic. It keeps going, and going, and going... eh? yes, still going. No, you can't skip it. For extra fun, you can't even quit the damn game while it's playing, either - the only button you have is to pause it (thanks for that! no, seriously, after the first 2 minutes of that intro I went and made some tea so I could have something to do while watching the rest of it).

While we're at it, the camera just drives me nuts. I understand that all the shaking and the occasional visual glitch effect is intended to convey the perma-drunken state of the player character, but WTF? I GOT IT ALREADY, NOW STOP IT, MY HEAD HURTS!

Dialogue... they tried real hard to copy the gritty wittiness of the original Max Payne, and failed just as hard. Max goes for irony in every second line he speaks, but it's all pretty stale and shallow, and gets boring very quick. The rest of his talk is mostly bitter complaining about how bad things are and how much worse they're going to be. Again, very repetitive, pointless and annoying. Practically no real essence in those lines, overall.

Whew, now that the cinematic is over, I can haz some slo-mo pistol headshots and stuff? Yup... for about one minute. Then it's another two-minute unskippable cinematic. Then another minute of action... and so it goes. What's worse yet, the whole purpose of those periods of no control seems to place Max in precisely the point where he (you!) will have the hardest time dealing with oncoming waves of enemies. Like, say, kicking the door into the room chock full of bad guys, and running to the most wimpy piece of furniture that can still be used for cover - standing in precisely such a location that enemies running in through any door will get a convenient shot should Max peek out. For extra fun, regardless of which gun you were using when the cinematic started, by the end of it Max will always be holding the pistol, even if it ends with a bunch of guns with shotguns barging into the room right ahead of him. Have fun practicing those pistol headshots, you'll have about a second before they unload...

As a result, unlike the original game, where judicious use of bullet time and careful approaches made it possible to progress through the game without being hurt at all, here you're guaranteed to soak damage - it's impossible to avoid being shot when you're stuck in "cover" where all you can do is peek out left or right, and there are five guys with submachine guns and shotguns all shooting at you when you do that. Hope you can get to the next batch of painkillers fast enough. Oh, but not to worry - when you reload from checkpoint, your damage is conveniently reset to zero (on "average" difficulty, at least). So in practice the sole purpose of painkillers is to get you from checkpoint to checkpoint - except that you don't know where the checkpoints are, since there's no indication that you're at one (though any cinematic is guaranteed to have one at the end).

Overall, given that most of the charm of the original game was in the well-executed noir graphic novel style, which seems to be mostly abandoned here (and the remaining elements, poorly done), I don't see much point - the gameplay alone is certainly not enticing.
  3. Jun 3, 2012
    I wanted a new chapter in the Max Payne story, but all I got is a generic grade B TPS. The Good: As everyone agrees, the graphics, physics and whateverics are great. And that's about it. The Bad: Triggers! Triggers everywhere!!! You open that door - three guys SPAWN behind you. Blam, reload. You kill that last guy - congratulations! Cutscene! Reinforcements arrive, take your women, razeI wanted a new chapter in the Max Payne story, but all I got is a generic grade B TPS. The Good: As everyone agrees, the graphics, physics and whateverics are great. And that's about it. The Bad: Triggers! Triggers everywhere!!! You open that door - three guys SPAWN behind you. Blam, reload. You kill that last guy - congratulations! Cutscene! Reinforcements arrive, take your women, raze your village and fart in your general direction. Ok, cutscene is over - you're in the middle of the room, hidden behind the flimsiest object around. Oh, and you're holding a pistol. Enjoy the epic gunfight. Speaking of cutscenes - there's more than enough of them (unskippable, to boot) to confuse you for the entire game. "Why am I doing that?!", "Errr, shouldn't I be shooting him instead of staring?", "Why am I not moving? Oh, cutscene over, right. Better press something.", "Goodness gracious! Why did I just lock the door behind myself right after I wandered outside in plain view of six mooks?". And if you're still willing to endure all that for the sake of good plot and characters - you don't get either. The plot is largely non-existent and amounts to "Where shall I kill today? Ah, right - in ". The characters around you give you no reason to care about them, they are there just to give you a reason for killing more brazilians. And there's one important aesop - it's ok to heavily drink on the job. No one seems to care, least of all Max himself. You drank two bottles of whiskey? No problem, your aim is steady as always.
    Maybe I'm too hard on the game. But it would've looked SO MUCH BETTER under the name "GTA: Sao Paulo" or, for lack of carjacking, "Brazilian Shooter 3D".
  4. Jun 4, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game, especially after paying $60 for it on Steam. The inability to skip the cut scenes pretty much kills any likelihood of ever replaying any of the campaign. As someone else pointed out, you can't even exit the game while a cut scene is going (which is the majority of your gameplay time). The environments are tiny and the action is highly scripted. Don'tI really wanted to like this game, especially after paying $60 for it on Steam. The inability to skip the cut scenes pretty much kills any likelihood of ever replaying any of the campaign. As someone else pointed out, you can't even exit the game while a cut scene is going (which is the majority of your gameplay time). The environments are tiny and the action is highly scripted. Don't expect to be able to get creative with your tactics here - everything has to go according to script or you'll be doing it over.

The voice acting is fine, but the dialog is campy and never really sells the whole "noir" thing it's going for. I thought the investment they made in getting the character to consistently aim in the specified direction regardless of his position/movement doesn't really pay off. It just makes him seem a bit ridiculous as he contorts himself to keep his weapon pointed where you're aiming even though you're not firing. I hadn't played the previous Max Payne games, so I was intrigued by the bullet time concept. It works OK, but there are too many cases where you have to use it. The cover system doesn't work very well because there's no good way to move from cover to cover. The environments aren't big enough to flank your enemies anyway. The whole "jump dodge" thing looked cool in the previews, but seems a bit ridiculous in actual gameplay since you inevitably end up rolling around on the ground to shoot at the remaining bad guys.

Overall, I regret spending $60 on this game. Since you can really only play through it once, It might be worth $20 if you wait for it to get discounted. Personally, I'll be steering clear of the Max Payne series. I'm much more interested in gameplay mechanics than in storyline. Hopefully Hit Man Absolution will be more compelling in that regard.
  5. Jun 6, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is essentially Duck Hunt 2012 with swearing and long cut scenes. A good-looking, well-optimized game that follows this basic formula: cut scene, pop-up shooting gallery, cut-scene, follow arrows to pop-up shooting gallery, LOOOOONG cut scene, long shooting gallery, cut scene, end chapter, looooong cut scene of Max drinking and puking. Due to the save point system, for the longMax Payne 3 is essentially Duck Hunt 2012 with swearing and long cut scenes. A good-looking, well-optimized game that follows this basic formula: cut scene, pop-up shooting gallery, cut-scene, follow arrows to pop-up shooting gallery, LOOOOONG cut scene, long shooting gallery, cut scene, end chapter, looooong cut scene of Max drinking and puking. Due to the save point system, for the long shooting galleries you will have to start from square one if you die. And if you are playing on hard, you will die a lot. Still, the game is not really challenging, just frustrating and one-dimensional. I would give it a 6/10, but the game refused to load until an hour later of searching and trying methods from forums I fixed the problem. The exact same thing happened to me with LA Noire as well. Rockstar needs to beta-test their PC games more thoroughly and I need to stop buying new release PC Rockstar games. I would buy this on sale for $20 as a fun, quick way to spend a few hours before you get bored, but at $60 it is a shiny ripoff. Expand
  6. Jun 16, 2012
    Very disappointing game play. Too many movies. Overall much worse game than previous MP1,2. Game just isnt fun to play. Not worth the money. Very sory for missed chance.
  7. Jun 1, 2012
    The problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially inThe problem with Max Payne 3 is, that it is not Max Payne. Cover: Max Payne doesn't need cover. The bullet time IS his cover. Taking cover is also way more effective than bullet time due to the narrow environments. Effects: the Kane & Lynch aesthetic is terribly distracting. Controls: clunky and unresponsive. Graphics: ok, but nothing special, the animations are awful especially in multiplayer. The 16 player matches are a clusterf* because of bad player spawn placement. Expand
  8. Jun 4, 2012
    Is the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max PayneIs the shooting fun? Yes. Are the graphics nice? Yes! Do I wish I could play for more than 30 seconds without being interrupted by cutscenes? YES! When I am playing, it is enjoyable, I think, but the action comes in such short bursts between cutscenes I can't get involved in the game. It's a perpetual game of "just the tip," never letting me go too long on my own. The first two Max Payne games perfectly melded gameplay and storytelling, whereas this does so incredibly clunkily. I am taken totally out of the game, and can't enjoy what I think is actually pretty good gameplay. Not to mention the visual "style" of the cutscenes is so blatantly trying to be "cool" it makes me literally nauseous. The saving grace is that the multiplayer is quite robust and enjoyable (and not interrupted by cutscenes!), so I think that's where I'll be spending my $60 worth of time. Expand
  9. Jun 2, 2012
    I'll preface this review by saying I only care for single player gaming, so I've not tried the multiplayer and I don't care if that is supposed to be a game's redeeming feature. I'm all about the single player experience.

And on that score, I'm disappointed by Max Payne 3. As a product, it's bloated (4 DVDs? Really?), wrapped up in far too much DRM and requirements to jump through hoops -

And on that score, I'm disappointed by Max Payne 3.
    As a product, it's bloated (4 DVDs? Really?), wrapped up in far too much DRM and requirements to jump through hoops - why do I have to click through page after page of EULA? Why do I have to sign up to idiotic ideas like the "social club" when all I'm interested in is the single player game? As for game play - Why is it so full of bugs? funny freezes/pauses, poor controls, un-skippable and over-acted cut-scenes that appear all too often and are concealing really really appalling load times do not a pleasant gaming experience make, Rockstar.

Once you look past that, you will get to experience an average shooter, that's quite nice looking and a bit too much tied to rails for my liking. There are some nice touches, like the player only being able to carry a few guns and having to drop some if you want to do things like dual-wield guns - this is both handled nicely and realistically and brings a touch of thought to how you play the game.

But... I'm not sure it's actually a Max Payne game. Sure, someone's stuck the name "Max Payne" onto the player's character, and its clearly the Max Payne character's voice in the cut scenes, but the actual game doesn't *feel* like Max Payne to me.

I loved the first two Max Payne games so I really wanted to love this too, but I can't. If it was presented as a first person shooter in its own right instead of claiming the Max Payne heritage and getting it wrong then I might be happier to accept the game on its own terms - and for all the faults there is an average FPS with good graphics here.
  10. Jun 6, 2012
    Things I've forgot to mention - a lot of times you will be placed in the middle of firefight behind the cover which only protect you from enemies in front of you, while other enemies will come at you from everywhere.
    Also, that stupid "kill the guy who shot you" camera is useless most of the times - the enemy is behind the cover or you out of ammo. Whats even worse - you can't load from the last checkpoint during this moments. So you have to sit through all of this, then get the chance to load the game.
    The game has no straight rhythm - you will be constantly slowed down by unskippable cutscene. Sometimes you're in the berserk mode after good action, you killed all the enemies and want to kill more, you rush into another room and... cutscene. What the hell?!
    Oh, and that stupid video effects! All this shaky camera, light flashes, double vision, words coming out on the screen - it may be appropriate in the beginning of the game, but NOT all the time! Also, I don't remember getting hit this much, or having to restart the checkpoint in original Max Payne.
    One more thing - no grenades! Enemies has them, but you don't. And I don't see any excuse for this. Why, Rockstar, why?
    Two years of disappointment - first Duke Nukem, and now this. I wonder how Hitman will turn out? But I'm almost convinced now that it's going to be bad. It's a trend.
  11. Jun 8, 2012
    As a fan of the series I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beast, but I was soon frustrated by a couple of things: The limited control over the main character and unskippable cutscenes for example take away a lot of freedom from the player. The only way to exit a cutscene is to ALT+F4 out of it, because you can only pause and continue. Whilst the gameplay itself didn't lose charm theAs a fan of the series I couldn't wait to get my hands on this beast, but I was soon frustrated by a couple of things: The limited control over the main character and unskippable cutscenes for example take away a lot of freedom from the player. The only way to exit a cutscene is to ALT+F4 out of it, because you can only pause and continue. Whilst the gameplay itself didn't lose charm the levels are small and the fights are heavily scripted. The cover system causes problems because it doesn't always work. If you don't mind a heavy consolized game and like playing with controllers instead of keyboards you might want to get it for PC, else wait for a Steam deal. Expand
  12. Jun 2, 2012
    First of i have to say I have not tried the multi-player, I'm a single player kind of person, and in that I found the game play massively annoying, yes the game looks good, yes the environments are well done, yes the animations are brilliant and the story is deep, although the "I feel sorry for myself" drunk routine gets tedious. And I can even forgive the obvious console port issues. ButFirst of i have to say I have not tried the multi-player, I'm a single player kind of person, and in that I found the game play massively annoying, yes the game looks good, yes the environments are well done, yes the animations are brilliant and the story is deep, although the "I feel sorry for myself" drunk routine gets tedious. And I can even forgive the obvious console port issues. But the constant cut scenes totaly mess up the game play. The game constantly takes control away from you and forces you into a situation you would not normally jump into. For example, up ahead is a room full of guys trying to kill you, as you approach, the game goes to a cut scene, pushes you into the center of the room, and then "over to you", lucky on 3 screens you notice the transition back to you, otherwise your dead before you know it and you "oh was i back in control again". But seriously how many gamers run into the center of a room, and wait for people to start shooting before they start shooting back. And for good measure after every cut scene Max's weapon always goes back to the handgun, never mind if it actually has ammo or in most cases not, or if you already holding an epic auto shotgun. Once or twice I could forgive where it helps the story along, but literally every 10 to 15 minutes, bang cut scene, your not in control anymore. I so wanted to finish the game and explore the story. But I play games to enjoy them, not to feel irritated and frustrated by them. Expand
  13. Jun 6, 2012
    There are so many cutscenes that the game feels more like a movie. The game takes control away from you throughout the entire game. You get about 3 minutes of playtime and then another cutscene. In addition, the plot is terrible. Its another "damsel in distress" but you dont care about the people you are trying to save at all. In fact, they seem to do their best to make you NOT like theseThere are so many cutscenes that the game feels more like a movie. The game takes control away from you throughout the entire game. You get about 3 minutes of playtime and then another cutscene. In addition, the plot is terrible. Its another "damsel in distress" but you dont care about the people you are trying to save at all. In fact, they seem to do their best to make you NOT like these people. The cheesy camera effects were really annoying and the combat system is clunky and doesnt feel right. The cover system is pretty bad - it feels a lot like the shooting from L.A Noire. Basically, theres not much variance in the gameplay AT ALL. All there is to do is shoot guys the same exact way except in a different setting with tons of cutscenes in between. There just isnt ever anything different. Its insane how many cutscenes there are. Expand
  14. Jun 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very big, im guessing they thought that would make up for how awful it is, but all it does is make it boring all the way through.... I have 200+ steam games and many other big name games. There are only a select few I dont beat, those titles are ussually indie games, but max payne is among them. Max Payne 3 has Horrible characters, bad ideas, generic weapons, numerous eye flashing rave party cutscenes and a giant language barrier. Stop flashing unimportant words all throughtout cutscenes I get it he said "I'll have a drink" I dont need it shooting thru the scene. This just screams bad designers filling space for their crappy little cutscene effect. You'd think this game was made for spain or mexico, you won't enjoy a second of it if you dont speak spanish. Even multiplayer ranks are all in spanish... this is cool why? sorry but I dont understand a $%*ing word and therfore have 0 interest in multiplayer now. can't wait to rank up so I can google what my next rank will be. Max payne kills THOUSANDS of innocent people and doesnt even figure out who hes killing? He walks away from 50 gun fights killing fully body armored guys and everyone treats him like **** in the scene? This game feels like duke nukem, overhyped, linear, limited weapons, semi destructable objects and a D bag main character who says random quirky 1 liners over and over. This is a console port, the gun select is AWFUL. good luck pulling out that gun you just grabbed in less than 5 seconds, heres a hint you wont be able to. Max payne the D bag who kills everyone for fun WOO! I was drunk I didn't know what was going on so I killed everyone.... huh? Yea I won't be letting you finish your story Max, You giant cry baby, I mix painkillers and alcohol, I destroy my liver!! But my trusty sidekick says "You can always get a new one" like its not a big deal. Trust me, it is a big deal. If he really drank and took that many painkillers he would be dead by now. You don't get a new liver if you drink, they take you off the donor list. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2012
    Really Rockstar? Let's cut through the chase. Why are video game sales down so much? This game is a shining example of the problems with the video game industry in every way. (1) LONG LOADING TIMES. Who wants to sit through endless dialogs which are predictable and campy at best (ok, some of the campiness is expected, after all, it's Max Payne) ... When first starting the game you mightReally Rockstar? Let's cut through the chase. Why are video game sales down so much? This game is a shining example of the problems with the video game industry in every way. (1) LONG LOADING TIMES. Who wants to sit through endless dialogs which are predictable and campy at best (ok, some of the campiness is expected, after all, it's Max Payne) ... When first starting the game you might be lucky to actually start playing the da** game a half hour later, I kid you not! There is no way to skip the cut-scenes! Unacceptable in every way.

(2) FORCING USERS TO CREATE AN ONLINE ACCOUNT. This fact alone has done me in, I'm sick and tired of every game publisher deciding (mostly through greed) to force purchasers of a game to create an online account. Are you kidding me? Twitter integration, and randomly forcing that down our throats at start up too? Has the game industry gone completely insane? Do you really think a game player wants all of this bs? Most people who want to play a game do it for relaxation and FUN. Hello, MCFly are you listening? Why do you think the casual game market is crushing large productions? Who the he** wants to wads through screen after screen of pure bs before even being able to play? When I want to play a game, I'd like to be able to start playing it before the sun has to come back up again! (3) Doesn't support a modern computer. I have a pro mac 17" top-of-line laster year laptop running bootcamp. I can play diabolo 3, Skyrim and everything else JUST FINE. This da** game, does not run in anything other than 1024x768, and then it doesn't even work. The graphics card I have is a 512meg Radeon HD 6750M I believe. All I have to say to Rock Star is ... I can't type what I want to! Ridiculous is an understatement. I'm done with the pinball joke of the heavy-weight productions titles of the video game industry. Really, goodbye Rockstar, EA and you other jokes of a company who worry more about keeping yourself employed and making a profit instead of thinking about THE USER EXPERIENCE.

off to all of them!
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    Listen Closely, (actually read carefully).

IF Anyone, gives a game a 10 this is suspect, add to this the PC gameplay was pulled off Youtube Prior to launch. The game (single player is do able in a single sitting). Unless you love multiplayer, there appears to be little replayability. I recommend letting them fix some of the PC centric issues prior to you $59.00 US, plus 25$
    Listen Closely, (actually read carefully).

I recommend letting them fix some of the PC centric issues prior to you $59.00 US, plus 25$ something for a DISCOUNT on the upcoming DLC..

buyer be aware.
  17. Jun 3, 2012
    You cannot skip cut scenes. I started on the hardest available setting and died almost instantly. I went to restart and I had to watch the whole thing again. Every 5 minutes you get a new cutscene. It is not a game, its a film. The trouble is, if I wanted a film, id buy a film. This is not a game, therefor it cannot be reviewed as one.
  18. Jun 7, 2012
    A big expensive movie with sometimes a couple of fights.
    Impossible to save your progression as wished or as needed, it's btw a console game.
    Max dies every 30 seconds, nearly impossible to accurately aim, even with laser help.
    This game is exhausting and upset me. When you just start to feal immersed, a cut scene ruins the experience.
    50 â
  19. Jun 1, 2012
    I've played about 5 hours worth at this point, and here's my initial impression:

PROS: Visually, it's a very pretty game. The physics are good, the killcams are sweet, and the graphics are amazing. That's it. CONS: I'd just like to start by saying that I'm a HUGE fan of the Max Payne series. It might actually be my favorite. So, I REALLY had my hopes up for this one. Maybe this is a

PROS:

That's it.

CONS:

Maybe this is a personal problem on my end, but I was under the impression that I bought a GAME, not a damned MOVIE. Having a cut scene after every minor firefight isn't fun, it just slows down the pace of the game. Making most of them un-skippable is just torture. This is made even worse by the fact that every out-of-game cut scene is rendered at lower quality than the game itself.

On that note, my initial impressions that I made 2 years ago when I saw the first screenshots were correct: This is not Max Payne. This is **** Man on Fire. Which would be fine, a Man on Fire game sounds fun. Except this game is not called Man on Fire. It's **** Max Payne 3. Having every cut scene look like a segment from a Tony Scott film is NOT **** noir. Also, I'm not deaf, I don't need random subtitles flying at me every 10 seconds for two words of unimportant dialogue.

The controls on PC are a horrible mess, because this is an obvious console port. A **** flywheel for weapon selection? Are you serious? A flywheel that doesn't even WORK half the time? Max also changes the camera position randomly, bullet-dives into random objects far too often, goes prone for no damned reason when I press crouch... ugh. Add mouse accel into the mix, and it's just God damned unplayable.

I'm taking a break and coming at it again tomorrow. I'm only up the the part where Rockstar decided they wanted to try and make a Splinter Cell game, so maybe it's just that the beginning isn't that good. But my hopes have been thoroughly crushed.

Remedy, I miss you. Come back, please.
  20. Oct 15, 2015
    The worst 3rd person shooter i have ever seen . No AI. bad graphics . meaningless faces. 1 man against 1000 kills atmosphere . Not a realistic game just a shooter for kid to have fun some time..
  21. Sep 27, 2014
    Awful.

Gameplay and interface are heavy consolized. You can't find here a rapid adrenaline action, like in previous games, just a hours of boring shooting from the covers. Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game,
    Awful.

Plot is the worst part, even if not considering it as a part of Max Payne's story. Hollow, dumb and unmotivated narrative with bleak characters - they **** up even with Max. I pulled myself to end this game, because I started wanting to drop it after first hour - and the plot only making more blunt after it. Seriously, the one of the worst storyline in AAA-videogames ever, including Call of Duties.

Visual style and soundtrack scores solid 0/10
  22. Aug 31, 2014
    Just hating on this game for annoying DRM practices.

Can't even start games up these without having to sign in to some **** platform, I already have steam, is that not good enough?

Also **** Ubisoft's Uplay aswell.
  23. Dec 11, 2013
    I do not like these cutscenes. With all this psycho filter You can skip some Cutscenes, others not.
    It is a complete waste of time.The gameplay is also horrible. The AI has a response time which is abnormally high.
    One could say the AI is good, no they bad. enemy running around like frightened chickens. Many opponents are triggered. And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you
    Many opponents are triggered.
    And many gameplay elements are simply bad. If you are flying against an obstacle with Shootdodge it breaks off.
    Last Stand...if you have no ammo you can not use it. If you do not see your target, you can not use it.
    The bullets do not come out of the gun the game pretends it only .
    You can hit enemys when your weapon is stuck in a wall if your aiming dot points to them. But you can not hit an opponent when the weapon is stuck in a opponent, when the Crosshair does not point to him.
    The annoying weapon switching after every cutscene and you in the whole i can say that the gameplay is totally up .

Many battles after you start a cutscene. You can find yourself in the worst possible position behind a cover. Because Max is entered other rooms only in cutscenes. There is no opportunity for the player to play for an advantage.

The level design is really good very detailed. But for a third person shoot dodge game the maps are too small, they just do not fit the gameplay.

The game requires fast reactions and movements. But Max reacts like an old fat ass.

Not to mention the story compared to the other parts of Max Payne are just horrible.

Next time Rockstar, more Game and less Entertainment.
  24. Dec 25, 2013
    I've bought this game on Steam for €4.,95 and I enjoyed MP I II. This game really sucks. Time spend on this game will be either watching cut scenes or watching your self die. U die all the time so you just don't care about what happens next u'll die anyway for sure and spend 30+ tries to survive one encounter.
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but
    High quality production in regards to story, graphics, voice acting etc. but the game still sucks. Like a Hollywood block buster where everything is repetitive and you just know what's gonna happen. Too much money and to little actual gaming. What a wasted opportunity.
  25. Jan 10, 2015
    Ok... Es un análisis muy muy largo, así que lo resumiré aquí: Galería de disparos, frustración, repetir, cinemática, galería de disparos, frustración, repetir, cinemática, galería de disparos, pasar, cinemática, galería de disparos, y se repite hasta que terminas el juego.

Max Payne 3 es uno de los juegos mas sobrevalorados que eh visto en mi vida. Tiene tantos problemas... Tiene tanto que deja deseando....

Yo jugué a los 2 primeros Max Payne, el primero estubo... Bien... No era de lo mejor, tenia sus problemas pero entretenia. Luego llego Max Payne 2 y fue la ostia. Es un gran juego, tiene una historia interesante, con sus momentos comicos y oscuros, la ambientación oscura junto con un buen catalogo de amras y una banda sonora increible. El theme de Max Payne es uno de mis favoritos. Y me pregunto que paso...? !!¿QUE PASO EN ESTA SECUELA?!!
    Voy a comparar este titulo con los anteriores, especialmente MP2, por lo que va a sufrir. Así que empecemos.

Hablemos de lo bueno del titulo para ver lo poco que tiene a su favor. Los gráficos y el detalle de interiores, son muy buenos. Eh visto a gente por todas partes aclamandolos, puedes destruir múltiples objetos, ves las heridas de bala en todos los personajes, los personajes están detallados, y tienen detalles de cosas pequeñas como libros, computadores, letreros, sillas, etc. Sin embargo, llega lo malo... No puedes apreciar los interiores por que este juego es una orgía de balas y muerte. Siempre ahí alguien disparando, explotando algo, o tu estas mirando las CINEMÁTICA ETERNAS. Las cinemática ocultan los tiempos de carga... Y este juego tiene mucho tiempo de carga. Hay veces en las que casi termina la cinemática y me deja saltarmela por que ya termino de cargar despues de que la cinemática casi terminara, aparte de que duran mucho, algunas son inútiles. Un ejemplo de cinemática inútil son cuando te tiran una granadas de humo, si, el juego tiene que parar para admirar como te tiran una pta granada de humo... Y ni hablar de los momentos prefabricados que abundan.

Y que tal si hablamos de la jugabilidad? Empecemos por la I.A. Es decente... Usara cobertura normalmente, pero aveces van corriendo hacía ti como suicidas. Y ni hablar de la dificultad, se pasan con ella. Jugué en modo normal y aun así la dificultad llega a ser ligeramente superior que en el modo de dificultad inicial de MP2. Y la jugabilidad no a mejorado en nada. Es mas bien una refinación moderna y nada mas. No ahí sigilo, a pesar que el juego tiene algunas zonas donde la historia dice que ahí que ser sigiloso... No tiene el inventario de MP2, donde antes podías llevar un arma de cada tipo aquí te limitas a 3, 2 si usas 2 pistolas a la ves, por que Max no tiene un imán en la espalda como Lara Croft. En lo que mas evoluciona este juego es en que ahora si saltas es por tiempo infinito hasta que caigas, antes solo era por un instante, ahora es cuando tocas tierra, y añade una forma para evitar la muerte, que si tienes un frasco de pastillas puedes usarlo si matas al ultimo tipo que te disparo, una forma de quitar algo de frustración. Sin embargo, también la cagn con eso, casi siempre tu mirada estará en un ángulo imposible de darle, por lo que no podrás dispararle por que todo te esta tapando la vista.

Y ni mencionar lo que quitan de entregas pasadas, como el inventario infinito, el modo bullet time rápido que te permitía recibir menos daño y recargar super rápido de MP2, y la posibilidad de usar granadas, NO PUEDES USAR GRANADAS pero los enemigos si pueden...

Hablemos de la historia... Como empieza? Pues empezamos sin contexto matando a un tipo en un aeropuerto, y de ahí vamos al pasado, vemos que Max ahora es guardaespaldas y empieza un tiroteo, de ahí vamos 2 niveles mas y pasamos al pasado. La historia no tiene un enfoque, nos mandan al futuro en el inicio, después al pasado cuando Max es guardaespaldas, de ahí vamos a America donde antes estaba Max, volvemos al futuro, nos narran todo como si fueramos idiotas y no pudiéramos seguir la historia, no tiene enfoque y mas parece una excusa para matar gente. No sientes que haces nada en la trama, eres el que mira a Max por horas en las cinemática y cuando ahí que matar tomas el control... En MP2 también matabas y ya, pero ahí las cinemática duraban a lo mucho 2 minutos, por lo que al menos no sentías que tu tenias que hace algo en la historia, en especial por que las cinemática eran comics y distinguías la acción de la historia, aquí duran de 2 a 14, sin mencionar que son constantes ya que si pasas una viene otra sin parar. Y ya no son comics, ahora son cinemática modernas con el motor del juego.

Hablemos un poco mas de lo bueno... Siempre estas fuera de numero, eres tu contra unos 100 por mision. Dirán que es malo por que es frustrante... Pues si, es de doble filo, pero si usas el bullet time y tienes un lugar amplio no esta tan duro... Los corredores son lo malo...

De echo este juego tiene todo lo malo que puede tener un juego... Tiene corredores lineales, cinemática sin parar, no tiene formas de hacer al jugador interactuar con el mundo, hordas frustrantes con una dificultad fuera de mundo, una historia que no es interesante ni tiene un final decente, sus mecánicas no innovan en nada ni al menos ser nuevas en la franquicia, momentos prefabricados sin parar, alejar a la franquicia de su carril original, personajes sin desarrollar que vienen y van...

NO ES UN MAL JUEGO. NO LO ES. Pero tiene tantos cambios para mal, que no innovan, que te hacen esperar como si esto fuera el cine... Este juego no es un digno sucesor de MP2 y creo que esta tan sobrevalorado por que es similar a CoD. No eh jugado a CoD en mucho tiempo, ni en PC. Pero CoD son explosiones, hordas de enemigos, muchas cinemática, historia poco interesante y frustración por el MP. Como la frustración de la campaña normal... Puede que me equivoque en la comparación de CoD con MP3, pero aun así no es un buen juego. Es uno promedio... No es ni malo ni bueno... Es muy mediocre... Divertido aveces... Y decepcionante... Yo quería un nuevo capitulo de la historia gris de Max Payne, aquí apenas tiene mejoras, han removido cosas... Este juego tiene MP, seguro que es bueno, pero no tiene servidores dedicados este juego. No tiene servidores dedicados... Este juego lo recomendaría por 3 dolares, no mas. De hecho, si tienes para elegir entre MP3 o MP2 elige el 2. Max Payne 2 es un juego mejor, no estara tan actualizado, pero al final es mejor. Este juego...

Rockstar lo podría haber hecho mucho mejor... Pero es lo que es... Le doy un 05/10, es dolorosamente promedio, si llegas a jugar MP seguro mejora y llega a un 06/10, pero sin servidores dedicados ni muchos amigos con este juego no lo puedo jugar ni contar. Si tienes 3 dolares vale la pena, pero no mas, ni en broma... Me encanto Max Payne 2 y me duele que el 3 sea tan... Es un corredor de disparos, es casi un shooter genérico...
  26. Jan 27, 2015
    Locked on cutscenes forced to watch over and over for challenge modes defeats the point in challenge modes i was not going to sit there for 3000 years rewatching the damn cut scenes to do that.

Bugs map level bugs weapon bugs model bugs texture errors all on 2 copies of the game even on 360 the story was ok COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2 Missed the comic style missed the Film

the story was ok

COMBAT SUCKED compared to MP and MP2
    Missed the comic style missed the Film noir scenes like in MP and Mp2

THIS WAS A CASH GRAB ON A ESTABLISHED NAME it was totally different game

Don't make another max payne you ruined it enough.....................
  27. Dec 2, 2016
    An amazingly, incredibly bad game. IT fails on every level. The voice acting is terrible, like somebody randomly reading a script with no context. Which, in fairness, it probably was. The gameplay is dire. The one element retained from the originals is the shootdodge, which has somehow been made far worse. Enjoy hovering in the air abruptly flying in a random direction if you happen toAn amazingly, incredibly bad game. IT fails on every level. The voice acting is terrible, like somebody randomly reading a script with no context. Which, in fairness, it probably was. The gameplay is dire. The one element retained from the originals is the shootdodge, which has somehow been made far worse. Enjoy hovering in the air abruptly flying in a random direction if you happen to brush something solid mid-flight. The AI is terrible, enemies just repeatedly duck and stand up again in exactly the same place. A ridiculous number of cut scenes, frequently ending abruptly while leaving you in a stupidly exposed location. Where you will probably die, because your currently selected weapon is randomly reset, and occasionally lost for no apparent reason. The game appears to have been directed by somebody who has never seen any visual medium other than last 90s music videos. I have never played an FPS where dying gives some small sense of relief, because I hate my character so much I really subconsciously want him to fail. Gameplay is completely linear. The plot is hackneyed and boring. There are hilarious sequences that make zero sense (my favourite being wandering through a favela interspersed with cut scenes where Max repeatedly begs locals for a phone for no reason, yet when he encounters an American who seems well established there, and would defnitely have one, he just has a brief chat and moves on). But that's just petty, there are far, far bigger issues with every aspect of the game on every level. By far the most disappointing game I have played in the last ten years. Expand
  28. Mar 28, 2013
    Absolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the gameAbsolutely horrible. If I didn't have a digital version I'd set the box on fire. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a Max Payne game because it says Max Payne in the title that is a lie. Instead of dancing around bullets doing cool shoot-dodge moves and slow motion fun this is instead yet another Generic Third Person Cover Shooter. Should you dare to exit cover and play the game like MAX PAYNE you will be shot full of holes in an instant. Instead, the slow motion is there so you can hide in cover, activate slow motion, get an easy headshot, and repeat over and over for the entire game. You are forced to play the game in the most boring way possible to succeed, as the fun arcade action of the originals is completely gone. Expand
  29. Sep 18, 2013
    Literally the worst max payne ever... the history is normal ,but the Game is a big bunch of Lags issues .BUT THE WORST Thing in Max payne 3 is the multiplayer... For god's sake who's done that... Who decideded to that the guy who will be shot in a hand will be killed?! AND SOCIAL CLUB.. It's a bit complicated and boring
  30. May 17, 2013
    I own all 3 max payne and I absolutely loved the first two games. I've went through both of them many times. The action was awesome and the shooting was very satisfying, combined to a nice story and cool ambiance, I had a blast playing them. It is very different for max payne 3 as the list of irritating stuff stacks sky high.

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time...

A major annoyance is that you get cutscenes all the time... and by all the time I mean ALL THE TIME. It totally destroys immersion and annihilates all chances for the game to build any pace at all. Most of the cutscenes could be removed out of the game and it wouldn't change the story at all (especially since like 50% of the cutscenes are max drinking and falling asleep. Yeah ok, we get it...)

Speaking of redundant cutscenes, max payne was quite the bad ass in other games and you could sympathize with him but when they make you run around the world to save tasteless characters (the dumb blonde and all the brazilian family), you understand that it's to make up for his past but at some point you start wondering why he even gives a damn anymore...

Something that started pissing me off early in game too is the fact that every time you run out of health, the game slows down so you can get a "saving shot" off. At first it's a cool feature but it gets annoying ultra fast as the levels get more crowded: later on, most of the time you can't even get that shot off because there is something in the way or you just can't aim at the target at all. Forget it if you're using a grenade launcher, the grenades are so slow they can't even detonate in time, making the GL way too risky to even use. Oh and what makes this even more of a pain in the ass is that when you're in slow mode and you know you're doomed, the "restart at last checkpoint" option in the menu is unaccessible, so you have to suffer through the entire thing before you can do anything.

Another thing that ruined it for me is that it seems the AI has way too good aiming sometimes. They don't even know you're there and the next nanosecond you get headshot. I don't know how many times this happened. Not only that but it seems like when you use the UZZIs in automatic mode, you shoot all over the place but the AI seems to be able to snipe a fly a thousand yards away with them. Now the cover system is pretty good but it's often entirely negated due to the "encounter" pattern that is always the same: you ALWAYS end up in a big open area, a wave of baddies spawn and then you're pinned down by like 10 dudes. Not only it's about impossible to avoid getting hit a few times but the second you think "yay I'm safe, let's leave cover to get ammo and painkillers" WRONG! As soon as you get far away enough from cover, a second wave spawns in your face. Also, sometimes you try to get cover without the cover system (by cutting angles with most enemies so you can get them into view one by one) but max payne's aiming angle is so awkward that often you get shot by targets you can't even see. Most firefights are so frustrating that it takes the fun out of shooting stuff up... That's saying a lot.

Another few minor annoyances that sounded the alarm the very first seconds I opened the game for the first time: when you get in the game it says press enter to continue at the bottom of the screen... but when you press enter, it does nothing. You have to click the text... Speaking of which, have the people doing the port played a computer game in the last 10 year? Seriously, who uses enter anymore to navigate menus? Well for max payne 3 they decided to do it all the time. Also, for some reason, the mouse is ultra slow in the menus (menus only) for a reason I ignore. Minor stuff you'll tell me... Of course, but it just adds frustration on top of all the other issues.

Add very bland stages with very little variation to that and a bunch of glitches all over the place (from bugged cutscenes that you can't skip so you have to ALT+F4 out to weird convulsing ragdolls) you have a game that has disaster written all over it. I pretty much always finish the games I buy even if I find them tedious but I uninstalled this one about 75% through. I only paid 10$ for it during a steam sale and I still feel ripped off.
  31. gas
    Jul 16, 2012
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    This is pretty much an interactive movie, you see 1 min of movie, then you got a 1 min shooting stage, if you pass it you go to the next movie and so on.
    If you die and need to redo a stage you will have to see again and again a short intro movie, and you cant skip it. Also, if you have to redo a session, the game
    This game is pure garbage. Tbh thats all, but i try to explain something.
    Also, if you have to redo a session, the game will switch the weapon you are using with the standard pistol every time.
    Game is all on rails, you have zero freedom, its all heavily scripted, so there is absolutley no replayability, also the game is scripted in a manner that wanna be hollywood movie, so you must play rambo always, you cant choose to sneak or do something different.
    The game is a console port, as usual for Rockstar , not so bad as they did with gta IV, but still its not a good job, beside the graphic which imo is not so important, the problem is about mouse movement, which is for some reason clunky, it feels glued to the screen sometimes, very fast in game, very slow in the menus and super slow in bullet time... its quite bad and even tryin to change settings there is a bad feeling about it, any pc fps is 1000 times better.
    I can add also that the cover system plus the bullet time system adds a layer of gameplay wich is not really needed imo, and its not developed so good, max cant cover in many situations due to irregular surfaces, and / or cant detach so easily from some others.
    At the end i really hope that developers will return to develop games where GAMEPLAY is the core, not those kind of hollywood wannabe interactive movies.
    I give it a score of 2 cause the voice acting, the movie direction and photography are good, but as this is a game, i want a game not a movie.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]