6.4

1. Nov 28, 2012
    McPixel is like raw high fructose corn syrup for your brain. Some people will enjoy the sugar rush, but most people will be overpowered and nauseated by it. Levels in this game are 20 seconds long and completed by exhaustive point-and-click search.
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    After playing through the story mode, I still don't quite understand what I just experienced. Nothing makes sense, and nothing is funny. In fact, there is no fun to be had at all while playing this game. It feels like something that was meant only for a very specific group.
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    un juego flash sin sentido ni realmente especial en el que hay que pagar , hay miles de juegos mejores en cualquier sitio realmente no merece la pena
  4. May 28, 2013
    I, being weird, would normally enjoy a random and funny game like this. But McPixel goes too far, to the point where it's just stupid. Most of the levels don't require you to think, but more so require you to click randomly.
  5. Jul 13, 2013
    In McPixel you play a guy in a red shirt who has to disarm a bomb within 20 seconds. Each level is a small scene with a few items to click on, you have to find the right item or combination of items to make sure the bomb doesn't explode. At first I thought this may be fun, but unfortunately it is not. Due to the horrible 'retro' graphics (aka graphics made by a lazy dev who lacks the skill to create good looking graphics and now pretends it is some kind of 'art') that would have been considered bad even on a C64 often you can't even see what exactly it is you click on. And even if you do, it doesn't matter. Because the levels are totally random and in almost all cases it's simply trial and error. You click on a trash can and a small goblin appears with a bomb on his head...*bam*, try again. Yeah...right. There is of course some humor in the game because of this silly randomness, but it's always the same idiocy and gets boring quick. Would have been ok for a quick laugh if it was a free Internet flash game, but I can't imagine how anyone would want to spend money for this, no matter how cheap the game is. Expand
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    Phitt's review on 13/07/2013 makes a lot of good points. I had no idea what I was doing in the game, as there are no real instructions or any guidance as to what your character's purpose is bar 'save the day'. For the first three levels or so, I didn't even know it was about a bomb disposal expert.

I've never been one to judge a game by its graphics: to me, they are there to convey the
    game-play the developers wanted to express. However, when the graphics are so poor and chunky that you cannot tell a hypodermic needle from a Concorde plane, something is wrong. It could possible be due to the fact that C64 graphics look terrible on new monitors? Whatever the reason, there is no excuse for it.

There is little logic to the puzzles, and you are forced to cycle through each group of six 'scenarios' or levels in order. So if you think you have one solution, you could wait up to five turns to try again. Personally I found this very irritating.

Controls are okay, bar the escape button not working to bring up an exit menu. Six presses eventually got it working, but the menu quickly disappeared again. I had to end the game in Task Manager.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but this game made my eyes hurt just looking at it. I've never had that with a game bar one where the POV needed tweaking in the console.

If you feel inclined to try this game, pick it up at 85% off or look for it on great disciun. My perception of this game is that, although it boasts 100 levels, it isn't worth the eye-strain to explore them all. It's possible, that the game could be better on the Big Screen setting Steam offers, and played on a television from a great distance. My setup is a regular PC.

I've given a mark of 3/10 because a hundred levels takes dedication. I really wish I could have given more, and hope I can raise this mark when it sorts out the issues it currently has.
  7. Oct 23, 2013
    Quite simply the worst 'game' I have ever played. Your time will be spent doing these three things in order of frequency (most often to least): 1) Looking at McPixel logos between "levels" 2) Randomly touching things on the screen for a few seconds 3) wondering where the last 10 seconds of your life went and waaay behind in last place, you'll spend a precisely equal amount of time doing each of these:

4) having fun

4) laughing

4) feeling remote any sense of accomplishment

4) being Batman (in real life)

4) releasing a miracle cure for cancer (in real life)

The developer of this game is the kind of person who makes be believe in bringing back the death penalty.
  8. Oct 6, 2013
    This game is horrible. A 30 second long soundtrack that would not be out of place in hell repeats over and over as you play (click on stuff). Please don't take my word for it, though: I'm biased by my sense of hearing. Also, for some reason it is designed to be hard to exit. To summarize: foothold trap for your ears. Vaguely funny sometimes, always tedious.
  9. Nov 20, 2013
    I thought this was going to be quirky and fun, but it was just absurd... I can't really recommend this title with regards to gameplay, perhaps if there was more logic behind the choices you make rather than just having to randomly click on something to see what obscure or downright bizarre events are going to take place… For me that's the biggest problem with it... So when you have completed the 4 stages in around 2 hours there will be no return visits to play this game… If you want a weird and illogical game which is basically a bizarre timed adventure game with puzzle light elements then perhaps this is for you... However, it’s still not a very good game! Expand
  10. Oct 26, 2013
    I'm sorry, but this is not a game. This is an abomination and an ear assault, with horrendous music and a non existent gameplay. It is pointless and stupid point and click hoping you get it right. Avoid like the plague.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
  12. Jan 6, 2014
    Mcpixel seems fun and silly at first but after the first few levels the game becomes repetitive and boring. The once cool 8 bit music starts killing brain cells in a massacre of common sense and reason. You soon find yourself mindlessly clicking each individual pixel hoping one of them is right to get past the level. The only thing that will keep you sane is the onslaught of references and jokes.

Only buy this if it's in a sale or if you have a brain and want to try this yourself to conclude your own opinion, I'm just some idiot on the internet.

1. Feb 6, 2013
    It forces you to switch off the cause and effect mode in your brain and try most insane solutions. Fun! [CD-Action 02/2013, p.65]
  2. Nov 26, 2012
    It's not a big or clever game, but there's value in the small and stupid too, and there's something truly wonderful about it being Steam Greenlight's first release. [Jan 2013, p.69]
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    Dumb idea combined with retro outfitting is sure to meet it's goal. McPixel is a weird cross-over of WarioWare and point'n'click adventure. The game is so bizarre that you are bound to have some laughs. [Aug 2012]