• Publisher: Beamdog
  • Release Date: Oct 12, 2011
7.4

1. Jun 5, 2013
    I recalled greatly enjoying MDK2 on the Dreamcast, so I was absolutely delighted to hear that it received an HD rerelease on Steam. Naturally, I picked it up.
    My god, I have never seen controls this mangled. They are positively terrible, and are nearly impossible to change. Mouse control feels extremely restrictive to the point where it took me a few seconds to snipe an object less than ten feet in front of my face (after going into the scope by pressing space, for some reason).

Really, that is my only gripe with the port: The controls are so utterly disgusting, awful, and sluggish that I could barely play it. Every battle was a complete chore, as my mouse and keyboard fought against me the entire way. The buttons seem to be space entirely at random around the keyboard, and the devs seem to have no idea that using the ARROW KEYS to move in a shooter that requires the mouse is horrible and uncomfortable.

There is another control list, which is slightly better, moving everything to WASD, but jump is still right mouse (which I never found a way to manually change), scope is still space, and move through your inventory was still some strange combination of letter keys that I honestly couldn't memorize.

I can tell that the game is good under the surface, but unless you don't mind struggling with these disgusting controls, I honestly can't give this game a recommendation.

1. Nov 21, 2011
    After communicating with the development team, they seem very attentive and are actively patching the game. So maybe in the near future the above-mentioned problems won't be an issue. Until that time, I can't recommend picking this one up. If the news of the HD release has got you itching for MDK2 again, think about hunting down a copy of the original.
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    MDK2 HD is a prime example of how a game can be challenging and a lot of fun at the same time. This is still one of the weirdest (in a good way) titles that I've ever played in my life, but the experience is totally worth it.
  3. Oct 31, 2011
    More than ten years later, MDK2 still is a fun and compelling third person adventure-shooter. The porting is well done and the price, 15 euros, is high but justified by the offer overall.