5.2

1. Nov 20, 2014
    This game has been in "beta" for much longer than needed. They promised a lot of content over two years ago but have since largely failed to deliver much of the deeper aspects of the Battletech/MechWarrior Universe. Instead its been two years of constant release of fluff content at high prices. This game is also one of those false "F2P" models because they've setup a crushing in-game economy in which you need a premium to cover your expenses and even make money to get where you want to go.

This game IS pretty and has some of the spirit of the genre that has spanned over 25 years of writing and game development, but its very shallow. There is no in-game voice chat support or command structure keys so you're left to play single player death match and type unless you use a third party chat. The developers constantly suck in new players and wave the bait of new content coming but then release a re-skin every once and while to keep the old and new fans hooked on spending more money. This game is quite buggy for being over two to three years out of Beta and officially "released". Expect an outlay of $20-$80.00 just to get new mechs that will eventually be released later anyhow.

As a fan of the genre I'll admit I'm burnt out at this games lack of progress and used car salesman approach to offering products. I come back now and then and find that nothing has changed since I first joined up with this game over TWO years ago. One or two new maps, new skins, a few new mechs, no promised deeper content, depth or immersion. Just grinding on the same few maps.
  2. Nov 16, 2014
    A lot has changed in past few months. Right now, I'd say the game is what it should've been a year ago.

The good:
    + The game is not paytowin anymore. They've released "premium" stuff to be available for everyone. Recently "quirks" have been updated to bring Clan and IS mechs closer for the sake of game balance.
    + There are new module types and a new map or two. There are also
    challenges (mostly on weekends) that give you some stuff you usually have to pay for.
    +The game is starting (slowly) to connect with lore. If Community Warfare proves to be a success, the game will deserve 10/10.

The bad:
    - You might want to skip it if you want some storyline or glitter. Glitter costs $$$!
    - If you want to keep trying out new mechs, you'll either have to invest a lot of time or a lot of money. But there's not much to try! And that's a good thing. All the IS equipment fits all IS mechs. Try Stalkers, Locusts and maybe Jagermechs. By the time you master these, you'll have plenty of in-game hours. Sell the ones you won't play with. Garage slots are a semi-frequent challenge reward now so you shouldn't have any problems with that.
    - There's STILL no radio for music or chatter in your cockpit. Although having your own fixes that :D
    - Lack of tutorial. You have "Testing Grounds" - choose which map you want to test your mech on before going PvP with it. Check the controls and see what each button does. That's it. Not very beginner-friendly.
  3. Nov 15, 2014
    Sigh, its sad, it truly is. I wanted to enjoy this game (i still do) but i just cant. there are so many angering things in this game, so many cheap cash grabs, and just too much restriction on the user. I remember 2-3ish years ago, i was so hyped for this (id been a follower of the mechwarrior series since before i was in school) so little 15 year old me bought the $60 "founders" package, which offered early access, a little in game currency, and a "special mech". so Eventually the founders got in, and played the game, times were good... for like half a month, then they just kept changing things, your payoff went down, your in-game currency became less valuable, things got more expensive, etc. etc. but this trend just kept going and going. now (2ish years later) the game has become nothing but a cash-grab.

Prices of everything in the game skyrocketed, to the point which in order to get something good, you would need to win almost 150 matches to get the money needed, while in one of the "trial mechs" (mech's which cant be edited, and change on a monthly basis) OR, you could click the shiny "Buy MC" (mech-credits) button, which uses real world money instead of in game currency to unlock more in-game content. a standard concept in modern gaming (unfortunately) but this game takes it to new levels of stupidity, to the point which some of the good mech's can cost upward of $40 paint-job? another $10s, little item in the cockpit? $10s more, $60. I would have to pay as much as i payed to get the game, for a stupid mech! not to mention the "bundles"of mech's which can be as expensive as $500!,More expensive than every other mechwarrior game combined, and people still buy them... and going the free-to-play path doesn't work, like i mentioned earlier, a victory values around 80,000-100,000 c-bills (the games money) while most mech's vary from 6,000,00 to 17,000,000 c-bills, so you would be spending dozens of hours grinding for the needed money, so regardless of which path you take, your screwed.

And then there is the community, its a very angry place. i cant say ive gone a day without seeing at least one "your wasting my time", or "my teams full of idiots" or many other hateful terms which have no real reason outside of "i died and im angry about it" perhaps this is just what gaming is, but its annoying. then there are the loyalists to the game. the people who say its ok theyre charging us hundreds of dollars for a good set up, because they "deserve it" maybe they deserved the money i payed to get in, but they dont deserve much more than that. in order to obtain all the games content, it would be in the thousands of dollars, but according to some of the community, thats ok by them because they "deserve it"

So to summarize my opinions, this isnt a game, this is a system to take your money and use the game as a distraction. Stupidly high costs, angry and overly loyal community, and developers who seem to completely ignore anything negative people say. they arent doing it for the community, they're doing it for they're wallets
  4. Nov 12, 2014
    This game is not a worthy successor to anything. The game play is worse than Mechwarrior 3 & 4 plus the mech lab is degrees of magnitude worse than they had. The price for the game is $100s or 1000s of hours your choice, but both bad choices for a poor game.
  5. Oct 28, 2014
    I have been playing the game since closed beta and all through its ups and downs. I can say at this point they are making real progress and with the launch of CW this winter could have a real winner on their hands very soon. If you have any interest in Mechwarrior or slow tactical mech combat give it a shot or keep an eye on this one. It's been a somewhat painful birth but I have enjoyed every moment I was actually playing. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2014
    The development of this game ended somewhere in closed beta. Hence as expected it's a completely broken mess, including the utter lack of optimisation causing stutters, crashes to desktop and nauseating gfx effects, design decisions alienating BOTH the mainstream user, who never heard of the mechwarrior franchise and treats this as a different type of World of Tanks game, and the die hard fan.

I could leave it at that, but...the blatant scam taking place since the so cold launch up until now deserves some additional comments.

The only development taking place post launch is the tweaking of stats, churning out expensive pay to play mech variants at jaw-droppingly steep prices and the rearranging of forums with the obvious aim of hiding any criticism. There are no regional servers, meaning playing from anywhere outside of the US is an exercise in "Guess where the mech will be in 10 seconds!".

IGP and Piranha Games are at this time trying to milk as much as possible from a complete TURD and blatantly so.

Don't fall for this, I treat my founder's account as money spent to remember not to buy things blindly and on impulse. You Dear Reader can just download it and try for free, It will be a waste of Your valuable time however.

I'm still quite sad having spent cash and am of the opinion that people still running this should be flogged.
  7. Sep 25, 2014
    Prior to beginning of august I would have said PGI was f**ked. Though since August of 2014 they have been amazing and MWO has grown a bit better for it.
  8. Sep 21, 2014
    The game is decent, for a non-lane based MOBA. Unfortunately, this is not what the producers of the game were pitching at the onset. This game is rife with problems and is a testament as to how not to treat your customers. The way the game cycles is that most of the mechs can be purchased without spending any real money. However, when powerful mechs are introduced, they are first sold for real money and then for in-game currency several weeks later. The problem with this is, once these mechs are sold for in-game currency, the developers do a major balance pass which makes them almost non-competitive.

The most powerful mechs in the game, which are all named "hero" mechs, are only for sale for real money. Several gameplay mechanics have been introduced which the developers promised the original supporters of the game that they would never include.

This game would have been decent, if not for the missteps of the developer and their inability to keep the promises made to those who helped fund their game.
  9. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is well crafted. The models look beautiful. The weapons beautiful. combat system feels like every mech warrior game i have played except for mech warrior 4. The horrible downside is this game is pay to win. For all your mech warrior fans out there willing to spend easily 500+ dollars to get the mechs and weapons you desire this is the game for you. sadly i do love this game but I despise all pay to win aspects any game incorporates. aside from the fact they want to hook you up to an iv and suck the life force from you to get a good foot hold into the game. I do like almost everything else about the game. I have a few complaints about the time it takes to earn things. Even with premium time i have already dropped roughly 60$ in to this game and still have close to nothing. while i am fighting people with clan weaponry( that is pay for with real cash) i only have basic weaponry and i am being destroyed this game is slowly losing my interest because i don't have 1000 dollars to drop into a game just to be remotely competitive. This game feels like sad attempt just to make money instead of bringing mech warrior the way it should to the consumer. sad very sad but true. Expand
  10. Sep 10, 2014
    The game itself is buggy sometimes warping and it desyncs alot. The ping-lag doesn't help. don't bother with this game it's unplayable. it's way expensive too i see some people up to their necks in pay mechs posting good reviews to protect their baby's You only have to read everywhere else to find out about the companies bad practices and I can't blame the critics I've experienced the troubles myself with such bad balancing of weapons and bandaid after bandaid fixes it went from poor to outright ludicrous. 2 year they've been at this!? it's like a buggy demo, an arena with thing in the menu that always a WIP. oh and that menu UI thingy is a horrid clickfest.

worse still is the pricing you'll be paying full retail price games for the least amount of content and by virtue of the games multiple perk additions to your character you have to buy stuff to upgrade or you'll be using trials for so long and sand in your face for so long you'll hate the game. there's little tutorials to some controls but tactics, swim with the sharks and pay 2 winners in mechs vastly superior to what you can have for the first 50 matches. not a good F2P system at all.

overall it's really bad experience i'm going back to MW4 much more sorted out game with more lore in it to!
  11. Sep 9, 2014
    A truly unique first person shooter, that unfortunately producers promised more than they delivered, but that shouldn't take away from what the game is. Unlike many FPS's there are no respawns, making you think be for you just run into battle, or else you are going to just be spectating. This is further reinforced as the Mech you entered into the match with is locked until the match finishes. I also enjoy that location based damage is very important to pay attention to. You can kill a Mech pretty easily if you take out the right part, but a good pilot can mitigate this. Also proper use of your team is essential, something too many other games fail to do. You can do very well as a single player, but you can only carry your team so far. I have never seen one mech win a match all by themselves, sure they may have done 1000 damage and got most of the kills, but without the team working with them, they would have never had the chance to do it.

For a F2P game I would say it has a pretty good model. There are a few mechs that you have to spend real money to get, but for the most part they are just different not better, so you don't feel its pay to win. One exception to this is they roll the new Mechs out as first purchasable with real money then after a certain amount of time they become purchasable with in game currency. Some people will say it is grindy but the only thing you do to get money in game is play the game, no minigames or other gibberish so I can't really call it a grind. However, even though this is a skill based game, there are upgrades to your mech you have to earn through play, aside from the loadouts like weapons and engines. Getting your initial Mech setup can be a bit of a drag.

Some negatives would be the lack of game modes (though they are adding more in the near future) The map selection is pretty weak, they often over correct while trying to balance aspects of the game, matchmaking is still a work in progress, and my biggest gripe is the lack of built in voice chat (again something they say they are working on)

Overall if you like Mechs and FPS's you should check this out. Starting isn't easy, but work with your team and ask questions. Most people are very friendly, and happy to help you out. Finding a mech that works for you is important, as just getting the biggest Mech isn't going to guarantee you success (in fact I find the Assaults are much more difficult to pilot starting out)
  12. Sep 9, 2014
    Started playing this about 9 months ago and have had a really good time playing it and meeting the community. I started playing just before the Ui revamp and there has been consistent content and improvements in twice monthly patches ever since.

There is a fair amount to it and a learning curve and the weapons systems and battle style are really punishing if you do not play for your
    team.

The Positive:-
    Looks fairly good.
    Feels like stomping around in a heavy machine. The separate Torso/ legs control mechanism (like a tank) is a little complicated and takes a while to get used to but adds a lot when you get the hang of it.
    Armoured tactics work, focused fire, reverse slopes, co-ordinating spotting and 'artillery' etc.
    A good team based tactical game
    Essentially free to play (but you do need to spend a little money to get more mechbays in all probability if you intend to play it for any time).
    Good customisation mini-game, you can customise the mechs almost infinitely.

20 years or so of back story going back to the FASA battletech tabletop game.

Dedicated and fairly fanatical community.

PGI the developer have been fairly good at communicating their intentions since January (but I understand this has not always been the case...)

The Negative:-
    Can be a little unstable at times. (although this has got better since I have been playing it with many fix's..still a nasty ongoing desynch issue though that some suffer that needs to be be resolved.)

Limited servers, all in Canada are not ideal for those with high pings to Canada.

The strategic element has taken a very long time to arrive (called Community Warfare and its due as top priority by the end of this year.) and without it gameplay is pretty limited to 3 derivatives of 12 vs12 team death match's and collecting mechs. Its a 'grind'.

Maps are pretty good but they are quite limited in number at this time.

Beginners tutorials are extremely limited and you have to search around quite a bit to get beyond being more than a target.

20 years or so of back story going back to the FASA tabletop game....appears to sometimes hamstring the developer.

Constant sales and new mechs for money can be intrusive and some of the mechs are EXTREMELY expensive, you do not have to buy them of course, but its there..(this is a negative with all free 2 play games though and not one specific to MWO, f2p games unfortunately have to fund themselves in some way, they are businesses. )

All in all a good and fun experience so far, am looking forward to the future of this game because it has a lot of scope and will hopefully continue to get better and better.
  13. Sep 6, 2014
    This game was slow to get started. I have been playing it since closed beta and while it has always been fun, it didn't seem to really move anywhere outside of a few new maps and mechs. The big change started to happen with the release of the Clan Mech's in June 2014. Since then the content has been rolling off the shelves at PGI. Just two patches ago we got the 1st phase of the long awaited Community Warfare. Phase 2 is expected to drop on us in October 2014 if not sooner. The Clan nerf patch that helped to even out the game just came to us on Friday Sept 5th and it made a huge difference in making game play more balanced.

Yes it was slow to get moving, and seemed to drag on for the first couple years, but now it is really picking up. I am very happy I stuck with it.
  14. Sep 4, 2014
    Summary: Play the game for free. Don't expect anything from the developer, and do not give them one dime. If you like the mechwarrior universe bump the game score up to a 5, because you ain't getting any attention from anyone else anytime soon.

Mechwarrior Online is a example of how to milk a cow desperate for attention until the udders have completely run dry. Once the cow is dry, the
    developer goes looking for another cow with promises of attention at a high cost. The problem is that after doing this over and over again the rest of the cows get the hint. And this is coming from a fan of Battletech/Mechwarrior series and someone that enjoys the core of the game.

In this horrid metaphor sums up the history of this game. The cows of course being the fans of Battletech desperate for a modern take on Mechwarrior. When I say desperate, I mean desperate. After releasing the founders packs ($120/60/30), the phoenix packs ($80/60/40/20), and the clan packs ($240/$210/$180/$150/$120/$90/$60/$30) it is possible for a desperate cow to have dropped ~ $440 dollars just on these, without purchasing any of the monthly mech releases/other stuff. Meanwhile what have the developers given the players in the form of content since release:

2 maps

I do not consider new mechs/skins/etc. to be content. This does nothing to change the core of the game, nor do they do anything but give you new skins/builds/flavor of the month mechs to play.

The clan packs were released in May 2014. Since then there have been a few dominant mechs at the top of the "meta", and they are all clan. This has made a pay to win situation that will not be relieved until the mechs are released to the general public for cbills. If you do not believe me, look at how cERLL's were nerfed at the same time that clan lights/mediums were released for cbills. They will do the same thing to the Heavies/Assaults when they are released.

The core gameplay is pretty good. The 12v12 format is working, albeit I was a bigger fan of the 8v8. The mechs handle well, and aiming is easy for any FPS player. Tactics play a role in the game, and a good pilot usually does well. The matchmaker is horrible however, as it tries to make a "Winner" and a Loser" team for every match. They methods that it uses to accomplish this can be harsh, and will result in a random deathmatch generated for the players where you do not know if you are teamed with ringers or dead weight.

The real test for the developer will be in the next few months, as the developers have been making content promises without proposing any new mech pack cash grabs. If they can deliver on new content, make it successful, and not rely on another quick fix cash injection during the next year the gameplay may improve and the game may have a future. Unfortunately this is like betting on an addict giving up his junk, as I believe the publisher and developer have become so dependent on the packs that they will not be able to help themselves to announce another one by January 2015.

Pro: Good core gameplay to build off of. Tactical gameplay and customization of mechs.
    Con: Developer/Publisher releases very little content, mech balance is always out of whack, a lot of money for basically "My little mech" online.
  15. Aug 25, 2014
    Mechwarrior Online is not fun.

Mechwarrior Online is plagued with bugs and broken features that have persisted since open beta back in 2012, the gameplay is grossly unbalanced and favors very few weapons and playstyles, and to top it all off, this terrible experience won't run at a solid 60fps on a good, up-to-date $1200 gaming rig.

MWO is a pathetic joke.
  16. Aug 18, 2014
    PGI is a horrible developer; one of the worst I've seen. They go back on every promise. They miss every deadline. They make fake pipedream promises that'll never come. They censor or ignore their own community. They totally wreck things that were already working fine beforehand. They put in garbage no one wanted like ECM, ghost heat, 3PV, and UI 2.0. These things only hurt the game, not help. But any attempt to tell them this is met with a ban hammer, assuming you get read at all. MechWarrior Online as a whole has only gotten worse since closed beta, not better. Despite being a huge fan of the MechWarrior franchise and old games, I'm not one of the many fanboys that are going to stick up for this crap of a game or developer.

The most pathetic part of this game is the money grubbing. This isn't just incompetence of "not" knowing how to do... well... anything properly, it's shameless greed. Originally promised with no hero mechs/variants, no consumables, they did exactly that as soon as Founders refund period ended, basically saying "shove it" to everyone that supported them. They then made the cash shop their # 1 priority, filling it out every month with stuff to sell while features the game actually needs continue to go long over due. The stuff they did waste their time on was stuff no one wanted, like 3PV. They'd waste half a year of Dev time for 3PV. Ya, thanks, that worthless feature that shouldn't be in the game that no one wanted nor supported at any point. You wasted all that time just to shove it down everyone's throat. They didn't even deliver it with the option to queue without it as promised. They went back on a big promise by putting in something they originally promised they'd NEVER do, made a new one to do it a certain way, then didn't even bother to deliver on that one either. It also took them well over a YEAR just to put in a no-base TDM. That should have been a day 1 release mode. All that time just to copy/paste a previous mode and take the bases out. That's the level of talent we're talking about here.

"Community Warfare" is slowly becoming just an obvious pipedream. It's like being on a ship and the captain promises you that he knows where he's going and will soon hit land. Surprise, there's no land coming. It's just an inevitable sinking ship. Instead of deliver on promised features, they just make more Mech packages to milk this dying cow for all its worth before it sinks. They now offer 500$ Mech skins. Not even League of Legends did this when they made that ridiculous Ezreal skin. Blizzard doesn't even charge this much for mounts or pets. How much is the newest Blizzard title with all DLCs/optional paid content? Not 500$. You could build a gaming computer with that. The only "Community Warfare" for this game was on the forums, where everyone voiced their complaints to the betrayals, but was met only with deaf ears or ban hammers. During the Founder period, PGI pretended to give a crap about its community and its feedback, but as soon as the refund period ended, they stopped acting, and very obviously so. Well, unfortunately for them, they can't censor Metacritic.

Please do not support this game. I'm honestly asking you because I'm a true MechWarrior fan, and this game is just one big slap in the face to us. It's an insult and abuse of the license. Worse yet is that for as long as it remains active; the longer we'll have to wait to get a true MechWarrior game again. If you support this game, you're hurting the franchise and every real fan of the series. Please let the game go bust, the sooner the better, so that the long wait for the next MechWarrior game won't be as long. PGI is a terrible company that I can only hope gets shutdown as they deserve. They belong at a Mcdonalds flipping burgers, not trying to make video games. They flat out scammed everyone and continue to try to leech as much as they can from this license's rotting corpse. This was not the revival anyone was hoping for, not even close. The license was better off in retirement. I'd rather it remain dormant and continue waiting for the next game than have a parasite dig it up just to feed on it like a vulture while ripping everyone off in the progress.

I leave you with these articles if you want more evidence as to just why you shouldn't even consider giving these shameless people money. While I can't directly link, a single copy/paste into Google will find them.
    "What Happened to Mechwarrior Online?"
    "Underwhelming ‘MechWarrior Online’ Launch Falls Short of Expectations"
    "A Cautionary Tale: The Rage of the Mechwarrior Online Community"
    "Free-to-Play MechWarrior Online Offends Players With $500 Golden Mechs"
    "Shutdown imminent: MechWarrior Online is beyond salvaging"
    -Drain (Steam)
  17. Aug 3, 2014
    this game is just garbage, laggy, glitchy, 3 modes of deathmatch, pay 2 win model waste of time. Go back and play MW4 you'll thank me later. I've played since closed beta and this game just gets worse and worse...
  18. Jul 30, 2014
    I originally gave this game a 5, but seeing as I have just been banned from their facebook page by this odorous company for speaking my mind about recent changes to the game - I needed to re-write the review.

This is a game that while fun at it's core is horribly lacking in features and depth, and delivered virtually non of its promises to founders, and is incredibly overpriced - it
    only gets away with it because of fairly well done combat, and a loving and dedicated fanbase.

I, despite these things was having great fun with the game until the recent 'dlc' addition of some clan mechs, which, as they cannot be purchased with in-game curreny are pay-to-win. This has created a true rift in the game, which has been backed up by numerous reports - and even an undocumented test by PGI, where matches were organised into clan versus inner sphere games - the result? Almost complete domination by the clan mechs, this is indisputable.

The Timber Wolf in particular is a horribly overpowered mech that is only available with real money - pay 2 wins leads to vicious and toxic communities and nothing more, and the games queue times have increased, leading me to believe that I'm not alone in leaving the game because of this.

The company and elite playerbase continue to deny the facts, streaming on twitch in 24 hour stompfests which are terribly boring to watch, along with the PGI employees - stroking eachothers e-peen 205/1 kill/death ratios and win/loss ratios, all the while constantly insulting the 'pugs' and 'terribads', who happen to be the people that are watching them and also the people that they are constantly obliterating.

Overall: Fun core gameplay, minus the pay to win features made by a terrible, odorous, money-grabbing company - backed by an insular and miniscule 'elite' playerbase that spends 1000's of dollars on the game, and are seemingly deluding themselves to the truth of it.
  19. Jul 23, 2014
    This is a game i have mixed feelings about. On one side i like it, on the other side i hate it. Explanation below. Things i like: - Strategic gameplay: The actual battles require a higher amount of tactics than most others games in this genre. - Mech costumization: There is a lot of it available. - Numbers of mechs: There are a lot of mechs to choose from. There is something for everyone.

Things i don't like:
    - The F2P label shouldn't be on this game: I am the kind of guy that, in this kind of games likes to play different mechs. And here is my problem. You start with 4 mechbays. Once you have 4 mechs in those bays and have grinded enough in game currency to buy a 5th you also have to spend a bit of real money to buy a new mech bay to house this new mech. For me this means this is a payed game masquerading as a F2P game.
    - Gameplay is not fast: This is a bit personal but i like a slightly faster paced game than this. This is by all means not a fast game. Sometimes it takes minutes to take down a single enemy. I prefer fast excillerating duels wich rely on adrenalin fueled reflexes, i don't get that in this game.
  20. Jul 22, 2014
    Mechwarrior has so much potential, and the old games were great. This game is more into making alot of money (the prices are a complete joke), than in delivering good content.

It seems like they are trying to get as much dollars out of the game, instead of making it great.
  21. Jul 14, 2014
    Allow me to preface this by saying that I adore the Mechwarrior/Battletech series, besides the very first two Need For Speeds, Mechwarrior was the very first game I ever played, and I have loved every other installment in the series, even the flawed MechAssaults. This though... this makes me want to cry. The core mechanics are perfectly serviceable. The mechs move and feel appropriately clunky and tough, though I do think some of the light mechs should jiggle around more. The jump jets feel about right. The heat management is exactly what should be expected and works perfectly. The autocannons are different from the styles of the old games but in my opinion feel much more appropriate to the type of combat that Mechwarrior is based on. The lasers are weird but not unreasonable, much like Mechwarrior 3's variants actually. The missiles are exactly what they needed to be. The PPC's (the big dogs of the laser family, for those not in the know) need a little more punch for the amount of heat they cause, in fact you never see them used for the most part, but they're not bad feeling, just need balancing. The gauss rifles are awkward to use, but rewarding. I think there's only two or three mechs in the entire garage that I would call useless, most of them have some sort of place for certain playstyles. Heck, this game made light mechs actually usable finally! That NEEDS to be worth some kind of medal. The damage system is nice and accurate, the hud is pretty decent though I think that some of the indicators need tweaks. The hangar hud is a bit clunky and crowded, but not unusable, a bit like how some websites need to lay off the side bars. The radar system is great and is pretty much World of Tanks' system without the invisible-tank nonsense. And to top it all off, even the customization system is very much something that translated straight from the old Battletech games, and in a good way.

So why is the score so low?

Well, while the mechanics are fine, they've been slapped onto a multiplayer system that is ten kinds of awful. First, the maps. The maps are downright dreadful. Most of them are urban maps, and to be very blunt, mechs aren't great for urban fighting, they specialize in mountains and small facilities--hell one of the best maps is one with high temperatures which make your mech overheat easier... and that's something that I should be raging about. And most of the non-urban maps have mountains too steep to climb, another big no-no for the mech series; you should have a few unscale-able mountains, but most should be just steep enough to be dangerously slow to assault mechs, but perfectly usable for scouts. Actually, a lot of the maps are kind of small to begin with, especially the already claustrophobic urban maps. On top of that, in the old games you were able to change your load-out depending on the map. Why? Because if it's cold or snowing you can go crazy with whatever you feel like, but if you're in deserts you should drop the heat-happy lasers and maybe even put heavier reactive armor on to repulse more common bullets. But here? Nnnooope. You're stuck with what you've got... which may be part of the reason for the heat-happy PPC's not being used now that I think about it.

The monetizing is aggressively tight-fisted, worse than World of Tanks in a lot of ways actually. I don't mind monetizing custom gear or quick ways to get mechs, but make it so that in-game credits are actually viable, not something where you need to fight a hundred battles in one of the stock rentals just to get a scout mech. Actually, the 'rental' mech idea is pretty neat as a concept, but with the credits being so useless, it becomes taunting.

And then there's the matchmaking. Sweet Jesus. In World of Tanks, the idea is that usually there's about the same number of tanks from certain tiers, or it's supposed to be balanced. Doesn't work, but whatever. Well not MWO. Here it's possible to have nothing but assault and heavy mechs on one side, and maybe two assault mechs and a support Catapult with a swarm of mediums and scouts on the other. It makes the game almost unplayably unfair.

Also, why in Heaven's name can't I set my weapon groups in the hangar? It's annoying to be stuck with a new or modified mech at the beginning of a match and just sitting there regrouping everything.

Beyond that, the graphics are CryEngine standard: good but hard on the computer. The animations are great, especially the start-up stuff. And there's some nice visual modifications to be had if you want to shell the money out.

There is a wonderful mech game somewhere in here just begging to get out, but somehow it got buried under tedium, money grabbing, and horrid maps. Someone save Mechwarrior! Because these guys sure won't from the looks of things.
  22. Jul 8, 2014
    At its core, MWO provides some extremely fun mech on mech action. Be prepared for a steep learning curve, but the game looks slick and plays well. That said, there are some clunky in-game "balancing" quirks that no one fully understands (e.g. ghost heat).

Unfortunately, that's as far as the game goes. The developers originally proposed a roadmap offering a wider meta-game, with mechs
    battling it out for control of territory in a persistent universe. Many other features have seemingly fallen by the wayside as well. Currently, you can expect no in-game VoIP, no lobbies, no training, and no community warfare. It's just drop, shoot, rinse and repeat on a woefully small collection of maps. And it gets old fast.

The game is F2P. However, if you do choose to spend, BEWARE. The game is ferociously overpriced for what it delivers if you buy into the packages. The latest Clan packs cost up to $500, or $55 for a single mech of your choosing. That's the price of a new AAA title for ONE mech, which you can only use in the same limited game and does little to change the core experience. Many fans have also been alienated by the fact that the developers have repeatedly failed to deliver on previous design promises and deadlines.

Compared to today's in store retail titles, this entire game could never sell for more than £15 ($25). Unfortunately, the developers have clearly made the decision to focus on new "sellable" content, rather than content that would add to the overall game. Spending £15 on some new camo, or a couple of the unique "hero" mechs, is justifiable - but on no account spend more; there is simply no deeper game here to warrant it.

The core of MWO is good fun, and it's sad that the developers have not built on this solid foundation to produce the compelling Mechwarrior game fans have been hoping for since Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries hit the shelves. A focus on making money, rather than a love of the franchise, seems to be at the crux of this. MWO pulls off the remarkable feat of being both completely free to play and horrendously overpriced at the same time.

Bottom line: A fun mech shooter that's worth your time, but not your money.
  23. Jun 30, 2014
    Greetings!

If you're reading this then you must be wondering what type of game this is. To be honest, this game is amazing. For the first 2 weeks I utterly enjoyed every moment. The reason I scored this game at a 0, however, is because server-side lag/connectivity issues have made the game totally unplayable. To make things worse Mechwarrior Online has the absolute WORST technical
    support team I have ever encountered in my entire 23 year history of online gaming. A support ticket submitted nearly a week ago has gone completely unanswered, as well as posts regarding the exact same issues that date back as far as december of 2012.

The game itself is a money-sink that requires players to purchase P2W mechs that offer unfair advantages to anyone willing to pay for them, and furthermore those that dont are left as little more than target practice unless you are able to gang up on the extremely overpowered purchasable "Clan" mechs.

With all due respect to a series that has been dear to my heart since a very young age Im ashamed to say that this should be skipped by anyone with a heartbeat and an IQ above their shoe size because it works for maybe a week, and then the connection issues start, thus making any purchases a total waste of money given that the game itself cant even be played unless you enjoy the following:

I will join a game and enter the lobby, but I am stuck looking at the roster while (in some cases) my mech boots up, or sometimes there are pauses and then the cockpit loads in the background all while the roster stays in view. I can hear fragments of sounds and my allies seem to teleport along their path instead of walking, and sometimes they do nothing but walk in place. In these instances I either cannot move at all, or I rubberband all over the place feebly attempting to steer my mech to a safe location in hopes that it clears up, or (in the case of place-walking allies) Im free to move and shoot, but all other players in game place-walk.

Something strange about this brand of lag is that it seems to stop for 3-5 seconds every time I alt-tab, but it almost immediately returns after tabbing back.

Ive checked MSE/Window's Firewall, and no settings have been altered whatsoever so I am at a loss to explain why I am all of a sudden having this problem after never having a single issues with my connection with ANY other game I play.

In short:

Dont waste your time downloading this game, and if you do download it, then you should definitely reconsider ANY AND ALL purchases as most decent mechs can cost you 60$ a piece in some cases.

A computer graphic Ill never see, or a new game.... Hrm.....
  24. Jun 18, 2014
    This game is the ripoff of the decade in gaming industry. Pay to play early beta access just release the game in beta condition with no value add content at all. Just more milking content to sucker people into paying large sums of money.
    Please try it out yourself but resist the sheep inside you for couple of days and maybe you will realize why this game is so bad.
    If you swear for apple
    products then by all means this game is meant for you to enjoy spending money on and I highly recommend the limited time offer of clan gold mechs for measly 500$USD. Expand
  25. Jun 4, 2014
    I bought in on the beta, getting caught up in the hype spun from an original Battletech creator leading the charge. I was hoping for a great game with rich game play, community warfare, campaigns, in-game voice chat... well, that was the summer of 2012, and so far, none of those facets have shown up. What we have been given is your typical 12v12 fps with robots instead of tanks. There is no Teamwork possible, unless you type really fast, or download a 3rd party program that does not integrate with the game. There are no campaigns. There is no community warfare. In fact, I can't think of one redeeming quality of the game at this point. The developers are stuck on small, non-essential tweaks to unimportant parts of the game. And making money by hawking hellishly expensive game packs of "gold mechs" and such. Don't get me wrong, now. I still play relatively often. The game play, such as it is, is OK. It's comparable to Tanks, or Planes, or one of the other "F2P" games out there. It has nothing to recommend it over the others, though. "Very Disappointing" would probably describe it best. Expand
  26. May 21, 2014
    This thing hasn't delivered at all. A bug example is community warfare, we might get that by 2015 MAYBE. Most of the core game elements are okay. The QA team is either non existent or lacking. They push out these patches and basically let the community test it for them. If you can stomach everything outside of the core game (walking around in a mech), you'll be fine. However God forbid there be a bug in the core game play you won't see a fix for a month or two. Russ needs to get his head out of his arse and treat the player base as people and not a stream of revenue. Look at how many hero mechs we have. PGI may not be able to code anything worth a damn but they can really make mechs.... Expand
  27. May 21, 2014
    What could have been an amazing game was reduced to a money-grabbing scheme which the developers have sent into ruin slowly but steadily.

1st off, I sunk many hours into this game, from closed Beta to open Beta. I got pretty darn good using a Jenner, and topped 1st place a few times which felt awesome. However, that was relatively short lived. After playing the same few maps a hundred
    times, the gameplay got fairly stale, not to mention a whole two game modes, neither of which made any logical sense to what should be somewhat simulative of actual 'Mech combat. I earned my way into developing the light 'Mechs I had, and focused my time creating a fun mini-brawler and min-maxing my own designs (I take after my Dad in that aspect [he played all the way back to the original sims maaaany years ago]).

Now, those few months were extremely fun. But the primary wall came after PGI asked for money for so called "gold" 'Mechs and the clan series. Hundreds of dollars, and for what? A major reward of (pardon me) a big-ass target in flipping gold plate. This was after many failed promises and redactments and forum post removals to cover their asses.

To top it off, the most heavily released content were things you had to pay real money for. Not maps, not equipment, not bug fixes, not patches, not playable content: either aesthetics or pay-to-win 'Mechs.

So here's my actual breakdown.

Graphics: 8/10
    Not sure about other lows scores here, but I was happy with what I played with. Never been one to nitpick on graphics but even so, I was satisfied.

Gameplay: 5/10
    Fun for the first hundred matches, but after that, it's redundant. There's not even decent randomization of, say, drop points. You start in the exact same place over and over and over again, never having to adapt to any surprises since it's all the same every time every map. Players are the only unknown variable, and the only reason the gameplay is a 5 as it is.

Sound: 8/10
    Nothing wrong here.

GUI: 8/10
    There *are* no major issues with it. I had no trouble adapting to it and it's fairly straightforward.

Everything else: 2/10
    I have been extremely dissatisfied with the developers. They have done little to warrant the consistent cash-grabs and make me actually want to help their development. They continuously fall through on promises and bend towards creating the game accessible, and not good.

Overall: 4/10
    The initial gameplay is pleasing, but when you realize that you cannot get anywhere without spending money, and that that money will be primarily placed towards creating more paid-only content, it quickly becomes repetitive and uninteresting.
  28. May 20, 2014
    Coming from someone who spent more than $200 on MWO over the past two years - do not make the mistake I did. Do not invest one penny into this game. Play it entirely for free if you'd like, I encourage that, but do not invest yourself in this game. I have been playing since closed beta and while the game itself can be fun and engaging in short spurts, it has little staying power. Worse, the game has been declining heavily for the past year. As time has gone by, the devs have shown themselves to be far more dedicated to pushing new items for the cash grab than to developing actual content. Features that were promised to be implemented more than a year ago have yet to be implemented or if they have been, are often partially if not entirely locked behind a pay wall, features that come standard in almost every other F2P shooter.

Here is a specific example of the types of shady actions PGI is prone to. Some time ago (end of last summer, perhaps) they decreased the rate at which you earn the in game currency (C-Bills) to the point that it takes a solid week of grinding matches several hours a night to afford one new mech, and another few days on top to customize it. Not only this, but to master a pilot tree for the mech (which is a crucial edge in game, providing huge benefits), you must own and play with at least three variants. This means it takes a good month of grinding to unlock ONE chassis so you can be on par with those who have been playing for longer. Add on to this that there is little to no training so I have routinely seen new players get absolutely stomped by veterans, making it that much more miserable to slog through. But wait! There IS hope! You can just pay them lots of money and unlock it now! The above is a great example or why it really seems to me that the current model is to frustrate new players into spending money before they realize that the game simply isn't worth it.

I joined a Clan and became part of an active community centered on MWO last May. Since then, I have seen the player base steadily decline as PGI constantly pushes more items for purchase while doing very little to improve the state of the game. In addition, they are absolutely horrible at listening to player feedback - they are the absolute worst for censoring or flat out deleting posts that openly criticize aspects of the game on the official forums. There are some communities hanging on and you will find players who scoff at the discontent, but frequently, they aren't the ones who paid hundreds in to this game to watch it flop.

Long story short, I paid more than $200 into this game, supporting it over the past two years and for my time and money, I have a bushel full of broken promises and gameplay that becomes more infuriating with every new patch, as the devs seemingly mess with things at random, flat out deny existing problems, pay wall basic features, or heaven only knows what. I gave up trying to see their reasoning several months ago. If you're still really wanting to play, do your research first, please. Look up the other gripes (and oh are there many) and go in with your eyes open.
  29. May 6, 2014
    The graphics of the game are beautifully rendered and the feeling of being inside the cockpit definitely is reminiscent of the older MechWarrior games. However, that is the extent of where this game can be praised.

The user interface is absolutely terrible and doing anything; from comparing two different pieces of equipment to refitting your mech or even playing with friends is
    cumbersome. Doing anything becomes tedious, difficult and annoying quickly. They need some user experience on this product!

The game suffers from frequent crashing (on many different platforms) and the inability to rejoin a match after disconnecting or crashing is incredibly frustrating.

The pay model is outrageous and the grind to do anything is equally outrageous. Initially, you will unlock large amounts of in game cash (C-Bills) via Achievements, which gives a false sense of what your income looks like and new players frequently purchase a new Mech thinking their income will be steady.

There are only two game modes, deathmatch and deathmatch. The other game mode, where you capture points, almost never comes into play until late game. Deathmatches frequently end with light Mechs hidding and waiting the timer out.

Lastly, there is no real sense of progress other than grinding through all the various Mechs and variants.

Definitely a pay to win game, with purchased "hero" mechs being far superior than their free brethren. Overall, a game or two brings a half hour of fun but any more than that is just a grind. If the game had more depth, I would consider purchasing mechs, equipment and accessories but I see no point with the game's current state.

Final conclusion, the game never made it out of beta.
  30. May 3, 2014
    i backed this project from the first hour.in the end i deinstalled it after some months of hoping and praying.
    its unbelieveable how boring this game is.if youre interested in doing the same 2 modes again and again go with MWO. if you have a minimum of aspiration in a pc game, save yourself the traffic of several GB for that game.
  31. Apr 16, 2014
    Great artwork, reasonable graphics. Developer failing on pretty much every other level. Terrible treatment of customers, 0 appreciation for people that give them tons of time and effort for free, and most of all they are a truly money grubbing little outfit that will stop at nothing to turn a buck. Do not give this game your money, you will likely regret it. PGI has lied on the delivery of communtiy warfare, core features of ui 2.0, and failed to meet deadlines in such a horrible manner it's incredible this company is still in business quite frankly. Expand
  32. Apr 7, 2014
    This was one of the worst games I have played in a long time. I have played almost every Mech Warrior coming into this beta. With full potential, I started plaything MWO at beta, then slowly went to open beta. Just when you would start to get used to the game play, the DEV's would do some adjustment to heat detection, hit detection, and/or strength of the weapons. Upon every change was a new version but worse with more bugs. Slowly there would be fixes to the bugs and slowly they would add more features. As the game became more robust and started gaining followers, the old mech warrior fans started to die off seeing that shimmer at the end of the tunnel diminish. The game play got worse becoming over burden with rules and strange mathematical equations to find the best way to blow someone up. Unfortunately, every time you got settled in and started winning they would throw another wrench in the game. Now if you have an extremely highly performance graphics card you will enjoy playing this game with some of the highest frame rates known to the gaming industry. As a professional programmer, I can tell you that this game is not optimally programmed and they obviously have no clue how to interact with the game engine. I think you can find better displays of physics on Mario for Nintendo and better hit detection from mortal combat on Sega Genesis. Thank you for making an awesome game a complete pile of garbage. Expand
  33. Mar 31, 2014
    Been playing this quarter-baked title since SEP12, and it's been a ride. However, it has been a good ride for the most part. It's been broken and fixed, and broken, and it's currently broken. The staff has taken an approach that many saw coming.

Gameplay is good, even with borked balance it's still fun to play. It's just not as fun as other titles. The thing that keeps me is the
    radically unique experience you get while playing. It's very simulator-like while still being fast-paced enough to be entertaining.

What keeps the game from getting a good rating is their approach. Which speaks more of the developer PGI than the title itself. The staff is quite amateur with balance changes swinging wildly from one spectrum to the other instead of incremental changes. The SEVERE lack of content such as maps, community warfare, private matches, lobbies, persistence, and such are still lacking with the ubiquitous "Coming Soon" that we've had for over 2 years now.

Instead the developer is more concerned with pumping our "booster packs" of terrible mechs to avoid the "P2W" tag, and making a patch overpower a certain weapon then put a hero mech on that abuses the broken weapon so people will buy up only to nerf it into the ground in the next patch.

The lead for this game has crutched it with cheap gimmicks and lawyering. If this unique game had a true competitor we'd see more true content. But until then, Russ Bullock and crew will make this another title to add to his long list of "minimally viable" games.
  34. Mar 21, 2014
    I don't understand all the hate around this game but this is one of those very very few games that I am still playing a year after downloading it! First off, this is an excellent time filler game which allows you to jump into a skirmish and finish a around within something like 10 mins. This is awesome for those few mins breaks which you simply need to let off some steam. In this aspect, not having a strong storyline or some kind of meta campaign works in its advantage... just jump into your favorite mech and then shoot away. Next is of course, almost all of your fav mechs are in there! If you are a mechwarrior or battletech fan, there's just no reason to pass this up. On top of that, I have played every single mechwarrior PC game since I was young 20 years ago and I must say this one is the most realistic of all... extremely heavy feel, nice real cockpit and immersion along with weapons that really feel heavy and impactful. All in all, this is one game that I will continue to pay real money for my fav mechs for years to come. Expand
  35. Aym
    Mar 16, 2014
    This is an 8/10 for a Free to Play shooter that hasn't delivered on all of it's promises yet. However, it is still a very fun Mech-sim-shooter and although the new player experience is woefully inadequate, once you get into the game it is a LOT of fun.
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    Before I move into the review, I must state that these results are skewed when you take into consideration the following: This game was brought up without the use of advertising or significant marketing techniques, meaning its fan base is primarily hardcore Mechwarrior fans. Second, this game is entirely free and relies on donations, optional premium memberships and optional in game purchases, so the funding for the development team is likely pretty low. Third, this game was designed using a game engine that does not play towards the strengths of Mechwarrior (I'm currently using Cryengine 3 in my current dev teams work, so I do understand some of the strengths it plays towards). Now on to my review.

Graphics: 8/10
    If there is one thing that Cryengine does well, its graphics. While not entirely optimized for mid to lower level PC's, this game plays with a decent framerate. The maps are definitely designed to look the part, and from afar this game looks pretty good. The animations for the mechs and the mech models themselves actually look really good and grabbed my attention. All in all, the game LOOKS good.

Sounds:
    I'm not going to give a rating for sounds and music mostly because there is not too much to go off of. What music does play, especially at the beginning of a round, really gets you pumped, but primarily sound is not really utilized in this game (unlike the single-player predecessors).

Gameplay: 6/10
    The scheme of gameplay has a HUGE amount of great concepts. The weapons systems are done well and for the most part follow that of its predecessor. Weapon grouping is heavily utilized and done well (groups can even be changed in game on the fly) and does not detract from gameplay at all. Heating is done well, as was mech cooling, shutdown and system overrides. Aiming, firing, and basic weapons usage are where the game detracts a bit from its good concepts. This game caters towards the SKILLED PLAYER, or at least attempts to make you into one. For most players, these fire systems will be difficult to use as you must utilize an independently moving torso AS WELL AS independent arms (if you disable the lock in the menu). The current scheme is difficult to use with mouse and keyboard, and it can frustrate a large number of players because of the difficulty of using weapons. Mouse acceleration (at least in my experience) cannot be disabled in-game and has detracted somewhat from my gameplay. It is hard to describe entirely what makes this fire scheme so frustrating at times, but, for lack of any better descriptions, I would best describe it as "clunky" and "unpolished"

Game Modes: 6/10
    Honestly, the game modes are done well, but there is not a lot making them different from other games. Quite average to say the least. One thing that threw a lot of players away from this game was the lack of a single player campaign, which, while certainly understandable, is what made a lot of Mechwarrior games shine. As for the multiplayer, they do a FANTASTIC job at forcing the players to work together. Lone wolves do not last long in this game, but the system is still unpolished. They enable VOIP, but the multiplayer system feels like it could be expanded upon. While it would be understandably difficult to do, I feel that the devs could learn a thing or two from Planetside 2 and how they forced cooperation. Unfortunately, they are designed with totally different game schemes, but nonetheless there are some aspects that could be learned.

Miscellaneous (UI, Server reliability, etc): 5/10
    The first UI was crap. No other way of describing it. The second UI improved on the first, but also lost some of its better features (crap 2.0). While it is progress, it is still severely unpolished. You had no idea what the reliability of a server was going into it, and the game does not seem to entice players to continue working together after a single game. The number of purchases required to avoid grinding is annoying at times, but understandable. It would have been better for a cheaper premium (i.e. $5 monthly), but even better for a one time purchase up front. The premiums have an ENORMOUS advantage over the average players, and even more so if they are skilled, but that does not mean the average player isn't catered to. For both premium and normal players, the Mech lab is done incredibly well and realistically; it really makes the game feel like a Mechwarrior game. So yes, it has its ups and downs, but I feel that if this game were designed and tested in an alternate or more traditional fashion, that it probably would've done well.

Overall: 6/10
    This is not a bad game. It just wasn't paid enough attention, both by the market and the devs. It could have been something good, but it still feels too much like a fan-made ripoff. I would still recommend taking a look. I think something good can be taken from this game.
  37. Feb 8, 2014
    This is by far the worst game development I have ever witnessed. UI 2.0 is yet another example of the PGI development strategy of ignore your users, release unfinished poorly thought out content. Looking at it I have to wonder just "what" or whom they were designing it for. The promised CW has seen more development in the heated exchanges on the now 2 Reddit communities then we will ever likely see in game. This is a product I would avoid as I do not see it lasting another year unless some serious editing is done to the staff at PGI. Expand
  38. Feb 3, 2014
    This game was very fun for a long time, but the developers seem to have lost their focus. Development moves at a glacial pace and game balance seesaws between marked improvements and complete de-evolution from patch to patch. The game is at least 10 months behind schedule, with features that were originally due in May/June 2013 now on the calendar for the next couple of months, in the meantime the devs are denying any delays in their schedule and are adamant it is all going according to plan. The community is also a troubling point, with most of the players you meet ingame being perfectly polite, and yet the forums tend to be full of poisonously hostile threads.

Once the game finally delivers on its promises, it might not be so bad. As it stands, it is competent and playable, but not a great choice in comparison to other free to play games out right now. At least it IS free to play.
  39. Jan 31, 2014
    I was playing MWO from CBT up to release in September, then I have taken a pause and came back in January. What I can say: level of progress is poor, devs still unable to solve problems with hit detection ( especially when ping difference is higher then 100), still only ONE server, and same **** as always: realising new skins and mechs and selling future mech packs: "last chance to buy clan pack or etc." - help us to improve game and someday, maybe, in "grim, dark future" you will get excellent mechwarrior game. If you wish, you can spend your money now, but I suggest you not to do it, at least till they will implement faction warfare and fix all bugs.Rated 1. Expand
  40. Jan 26, 2014
    Revising my score from a 3 to a 1 after the huge misstep that was the clan mech cash grab. This was further compounded by the "state of the inner sphere" post where the devs reveal that they've essentially been treading water, and lying to us, about feature development while they worked on getting the Mechwarrior license extended by Microsoft. CW, a feature that should have been present at launch, is now estimated as coming in Oct 2014. Who wants to spend another year mindlessly grinding cbills? Not this guy. PGI is an amateur outfit and they aren't capable of executing this game properly.

Don't get your hopes up or waste your money. This game will never be anything more than mindless grind. So much wasted opportunity.
  41. Jan 13, 2014
    As a Mechwarrior title, I expected this to be that game we have been waiting for. That game that would put the latest AAA titles to shame. As a free to play game, I didn't expect much. The sad truth is that I had gotten what I expected. Not much.

The game is unique as its own. For a free to play title as well, it stands out among many other titles. It's refreshing to the genre, in
    which I am very glad to see. The downside is how the game itself is executed. It's a basic Mechwarrior game. You have Mechs (that are based on the Battletech universe) kill each other in a mindless game mode, get money, the end. Fin. That's how the core game is. There are 3 games modes as of now, there were only 2 at launch. The launch was quite a shame to be. The 3 game modes are Assault, Conquest, and Skirmish. In assault, you kill the enemy team or capture their base, in Conquest, you kill the enemy team, or get 750 resources (in reality, there are just more bases), in skirmish, there are no bases; and that is all. The game modes aren't unique at all, and they can become very boring and repetitive at times.

The gameplay is quite good, as said before, it's refreshing to the free to play category. Mech customization is nice but sometimes feels too restrictive. It's semi-tactical, not as I expected it to be (I wanted it to be as tactical and strategic as the Arma series but got a basic game instead). You have 4 different classes: Light, Medium, Heavy, and Assault. They have their different roles, but it almost feels like the current game always encourages one type of style. High Alpha, pin-point damage, LRMs or something else. A lot of the times you will find the same type of builds in almost every single match. No one has the creativity or skill to come up with their own unique and effective build. It seems as if there is only one build that works. Another gripe are modules. These act as perks and killstreak rewards from the modern Call of Duty franchise. You push a button to call in airstrike, you have your passive ability that scans for things. The game would feel much more balanced if these were removed so no one can have a benefit.

The graphics are really nice, as they run off the Cryengine 3, however. The game has pretty bad performance issues. White Knights cannot run to their only reason for it being "beta" anymore. The only aspect that actually made the game "Beta" was the beta logo. That was literally the only thing making it beta. There are a lot of missing content from the game. Such as Community Warfare, which was planned long ago and was said that it was being developed when it actually wasn't. That is the biggest complaint of mine about the current game. The massive lack of any features.

Matchmaking seems to be almost ruined. I am a PUG, yes a PUG which is for some reason ridiculed on the forums and is a reason why I don't want to talk to most people on them. As for the matches, most of them now feel like steam rolls. By steam rolls I mean, your team either wins fast and the enemy gets 4 kills or less; or you lose and your team gets 4 kills or less. They are never fun, they weren't like this before, I'm not sure how matches suddenly got like this.

What bothers me the absolute most is that there is no progression system. The game can feel like a huge grind at times since your only real incentive is money (C-Bills). Apparently C-Bills were inflated before as PGI has actually decreased the income of everyone drastically. *A Warning For New Players* be careful not to spend any money for a while. The game does not encourage experimentation, it actually punishes you, so keep that in mind and spend your C-Bills wisely. Other than money, there are mech skills, which are more of a grind since they require a large amount of C-Bills to use on mechs. It feels like you're getting no where. You can have 100 Billion C-bills, and if you try to explore a variety of options, you will end up broke. It ends up becoming a huge turn off for new players who can be potential customers.

There are a lack of basic features that make any game all the better such as in game voice chat, a real clan system, and a nice variety of maps and game modes. When basic features are added, I wish that PGI would consider community work for the game, it's always a good thing. The game is also very expensive, as they have $500, golden mechs that are somehow limited in quantity even though they are digital. I understand that it's free to play and that you don't have to buy anything. If they would lower the prices, they would sell more and make more money, a win win for everyone. As a F2P game, anyone can play, no one is obligated to pay, it was the devs choice for making the title F2P.

It's definitely not the Mechwarrior game we have all been waiting for but it is a good free to play title worth checking out, just not good as a Mechwarrior title itself. Still worth checking out though.
  42. Jan 9, 2014
    Well, since Metacritic decided to redact my 5000 word review of the game, let me put it real simple: turd reheated in a microwave.

Do not buy this game. It is like someone beating a puppy to death in front of you.
  43. Jan 5, 2014
    ok coming from a hardcore 15 year mechwarrior vet and haveing played mechwarrior2 31th GBL merc, mechwarrior 3 & pirates moon, mechwarrior 4 mw4 blackknight & MW4 merc and just too let you know i waz even first round closed beta

now too start this off even in close beta and gameplay my expectations waz very high for this game the game play at the most part seemed in my mind at the time
    good and well balanced but the cataphract wasn't out so you didn't see any jump sniping yet and ppc still didnt work so the reason i probably love this game back then waz it waz all brawling back then i love brawling in mechwarrior

now iv played all mechwarrior's and this one felt good but the sniping dominates the out of this game now

too top that PGI is now full of themselves and disrespects the true fans of the mechwarrior game and name too make it one big farce too end all farces.

they have slaped me a core mechwarrior fan and founders supporter in the face too the point i wont give them anymore money.

they have a huge grind for you too get over and if you want too buy any MC (mechwarrior credits) you will find your paying out of your ass for such a mind numbing game.

this game mocks and destorys the name MECHWARRIOR and makes me want too cry my self too sleep for how bad they this game up and if they didnt do everything wrong like every outher mechwarrior witch they said they try too never do like 3PV and flush OMG that 1st post for flush module almost made me punch my screen like ****?!>!>!?

PGI can suck my dick Chris roberts deserves my money so far 600us dollars of it XD
  44. Jan 4, 2014
    I put lots of money into this game and leveled up almost all the Mechs. I asked if I could sell my account on the forums and they banned me permanently. But it is their loss and my gain, I had already put hundreds of dollars into this game, and I was considering spending more on the Clan Mechs. The fact is there is no real content or purpose of this game, you just grind out skill on mechs. They promise things like community warfare then sell you $500 mechs. Being banned will save me possibly a thousand dollars in the long run! Expand
  45. Jan 1, 2014
    While the core gameplay is solid, everything else about this title is bad. The developers have again and again failed to deliver on their promises and seems completely at a loss as to how to take the project further than a 'mom's-basement-operation'. Still, for longtime fans there might be some fun to be had getting acquainted with Inner Sphere mechs they might not have used in earlier titles (as they are typically rendered obsolete as soon as clan-tech is available). Expand
  46. Dec 19, 2013
    MechWarrior Online was pitched as being a thinking man's shooter with depth and complexity, an overarching 'Community Warfare' territory control meta game with specialization options depending on the mech you pilot (called role warfare).
    The current state of the game is as follows:
    -Hit detection is buggy, and not just for high ping players. You will see a gauss slug hit the chest of a
    stationary assault mech but sometimes no damage registers.
    -Alternately hits will sometimes slam into invisible terrain hit boxes that extend beyond the visible edge of terrain, making shooting over anything a guessing game.
    -There are only two game modes assault (capture the 1 base) and conquest (capture the 5 bases)
    -Role warfare does not exist. There are no scouting or fire support skill trees. Every single mech from a 25 ton commando to a 100 ton atlas gets *exactly the same skill unlocks*
    -Community warfare was supposed to be in January 2013. It is now 11 months later and the centrepiece feature/the overarching metagame does not exist yet.
    -They took money from founders (I paid 120 dollars) after advertising the game as first person view only, then they put in a 3pv camera against the will of the core players that is only good for peeking over terrain. I stopped playing as soon as this was implemented and will not play again.
  47. Dec 18, 2013
    This games rapes your childhood memories of battletech and mechwarrior. It blatantly ignores canon in the battletech universe and have completely ignored the worst issues in the previous multiplayer mechwarrior games. Its a never ending round of 'balancing' changes that prove the devs are brain dead incompetent and ignore their fan base.
  48. Dec 17, 2013
    It's a shame a such beautiful and important franchise like Mechwarrior has been devastated by PGI.
    They are currently sacking the users and it looks they'll do it again and again.
    Almost nothing has been done in the last year and some stuff it's just pretty ridiculous (like the low res where you should put the embarrassing stuff they sell for real money).
    Most of the BT stuff has been
    just raped and slaughtered, time is frozen and so and so on.
    I hope they we'll get the license revoked as soon as possible.
  49. Dec 16, 2013
    Beloved 80s IP being actively destroyed by a cash hungry, incompetent developer... What's sad is spending thousands of dollars on this title nets you far less content than what was available in MW4...

The game, as with most other industry destroying "Free to play" titles is nothing more than a gimmick designed to suck loot from the pockets of dedicated MW fans... This game could have
    been something great... But as like most other things... When money is the primary motivating factor, quality takes a total ****

Don't support IGP or PGI if you are or ever were a true fan of the Battletech IP. The sooner this sorry excuse for a company sells the IP, the sooner a "chance" of a good developer picking up the IP.
  50. Dec 15, 2013
    Whole game development process and especial last Clan grab deal can be described like this :

A drowning PGI will clutch at a straw. PGI and MWO are sinking, it's only time before they say that game development has stopped and servers will be closed in 1 month, probably soon after clans release (if they manage to stay afloat that long).

People responsible for development of this game
    would fail at designing Minesweeper clone. Expand
  51. Dec 9, 2013
    I've been playing MWO for probably 3 months now, and overall I'm perfectly satisfied with it. Yeah, it has glitches. And maybe it's not all it was cracked up to be (I wouldn't know, I wasn't around during Beta). What I DO know is that I find it thoroughly enjoyable to drop in with a bunch of random people, make an impromptu battle plan, and blow some stuff up. I didn't find the learning curve especially steep. Success depends more on learning combat techniques than understanding the upgrades, and that only comes from time and experience. That does indeed require a bit more commitment than one may expect, but it adds an interesting mechanic that prevents a noob from stomping all over everyone with the swipe of a credit card. There are a few weapons that could really use some tweaking (flamers and NARCs mostly, IMO), but by-and-large you'll see a wide array of combos on the field, so apparently it's not so ill-balanced as many claim or we'd all be driving the same setup. Heat is incredibly annoying, but equipment limitations make it more realistic and less an arcade shooter. Mostly, I see a lot of people complaining about a game that DOESN'T COST A DIME if you don't want it to. Not very realistic expectations, if you ask me. You wanna play free, you grind. PGI isn't a charity. Hero Mechs ARE a bit pricey, but I consider that a fair trade for no subscriptions and the in-game cash bonuses the Heroes award. If you're willing to pony up for the extras, you do so knowing full well the current limitations of the game, so again, why all the whining? For a casual gamer such as myself that loves giant mecha, MWO does a fine job covering the bases. Expand
  52. Dec 5, 2013
    At its core MechWarrior Online (MWO) is a MMO-FPS and -TPS (you can change perspective at every moment of the match) with very big tactical and strategical component. This means, that high shooting-skills like reactions and awareness will pay off for sure, but also a deep understanding of reasonable mech loadouts (strategy) or right choice of useful combat zones (tactics) gives great benefits. That point makes the biggest difference to its brother in mind: World of Tanks (WoT). MWO shares with this very popular game the FreeToPlay and Anti-PayToWin architecture.
    You can get into MWO with instant PvP combat on a trial mech together with 23 other players. The matchmaker tries to balance such a so called 12v12 PuG (randomly merged teams) for a close finish. You can also jump in a battle with a group of 4 (lance) or 12 (company) mates. In that case you will meet similar team structures on the other side. At the moment two game modes are provided: conquest (get resource points out of capturing bases) and assault (kill all opponents or get their base). Further modes are promised since months. But unfulfilled promises by the developer PGI would be another story...
    The first look and feel of MWO with a good performance PC is fancy, grounded on CryEnginge3. After some hours the lifeless and indestructible environment, multiple texture errors, not optimized effects or some breakdowns are a pain in your neck.
    The unique experience you can get in MWO is the high AND long learning curve, besides the official BattleTech IP. No matter where you veteran come from (WoT, BF, CoD, TF, etc.), there is a long way to go to become a good MechWarrior and this can be addictive. The complexity and interdependency of different weapon mechanics, mech classes, maps, teamwork opportunities, match-up situations and so on need hours of gaming and a high resistance against frustration. Even more because there are no introductions, tutorials or PvE-missions. As a reward for invested time you get a big stock of (necessary) equipment or access to special modules. They provide for example better sensors, visuals or movement and can not be bought with real money right at the start. You have to learn it the hard style, but spectator mode and the grown-up and international community helps significantly.

MWO is a recommendation, if you played the previous games of the series with fun. Same for other Robo-Mechas-Tank-sims or -shooters as Heavy Gear, Steel Battalion, Front Mission Evolved, World of Tanks, Hawken and so on. Supporters of BattleTech in general, its table top game or other spin offs can take a look on it, but will have a rough start. At least it is the right choice for (semi-)competitive-PvP-gamers, which dislike the idea of respawn and appreciate substantial outcome from the needed combination of different skills and team play.
    Thus its hard difficulty MWO is NOT the right choice for newbies. Even more as the high priced, so called Hero-Mechs will not deliver any high value in challenge. They are just "bling-bling" chassis. So keep your money and save it for mech-bays or premium time, to minimize the grind.

Summing all this up: 6 points out of 10 for me. And that means PGI sadly did not add strength or popularity to BattleTech or MechWarrior as a concept of SciFi yet. There are still some additions promised by PGI, but I would not bet on something substantial in the next months...
  53. Nov 23, 2013
    Shameful display.. A game that makes me look back at MW4 and Microsoft running the franchise back then, with keener eye.
    MWO tries to go back to MW3 with it's more oldschool control system, which actually works quite well. It is smooth and natural, gives you the feel of a powerful warmachine that weights tons. This small dose of MW3 nostalgia though is completely ruined by staggering
    everlasting work in progress status of the game that doesn't seem to change since CLOSED BETA! You got to keep an eye on momentum of your 100 ton machine to steer it effectively? Well, a pity, because there is still no collision detection, although the engine is fully capable of it. Running though trees and shoulder rubbing buildings 100 mph, circrling around heavies with lighter mechs, bouncing off walls imposes no penalties, no damage... and they can't fix it for almost a year now! Horrible lag problems and abysmal optimization. The game works awfully on decent duo-cores. Even though you may be way above minimal requirements, got stuff from recommended shelf, but unfortunately your CPU is not a quad, you may experience graphic and system lag on lowest settings and ridiculous resolution! Devs promised to address this issue as soon as possible... for almost a year! again! Each month, each patch a loyal fanbase is promised a fix for their issues, but instead we get another premium mech. Map choice is rather pathetic, maps being tiny enough not to get lost but unfortunately offering very little but few same old paths, forcing use of same tactics.
    It's almost like Piranha Games is not interested in fixing issues their customers are expecting on purpose, waiting till they upgrade their rigs or just leave the game instead of making the game playable for quite large userbase, which they sadly loose.

Another awful thing is the economy system copy-pasted from World of Tanks, which honestly is the worst choice possible... but copying cheep ideas seems be the theme around PG, so, that's not entirely unexpected. In the end we are left with system that rewards for group victory over personal contribution. Meaning, even though you did a lot to help your team, you killed majority of the enemy forces, but still your team lost, you are awarded less then you'd earn in a game you did little-to-nothing but with your team actually winning the match in the end. This is a big turn down to any player that values what little time they can spare and would rather be rewarded accordingly to their skill and input rather than "randomity" of matchfinder. Like in world of Tanks when you loose your mech you are locked for the rest of the match, allowing you only to spectate, what leads to situations where most games and matches are won after couple minutes. If you loose three mechs on the very start, either due to bad luck or whatever the factor, your team can pretty much quit or sit and get killed. Of course that is a broad generalization, but i'm writing it in regard to new ideas presented in Warthunder game, where you can take couple of machines you got in your garage. You loose one, you can take 3 more, but of different class and role. This is not present in MWO, meaning, if you lost a scout, you lost your eyes and ecm protection for good. Lose of Long range support may mean the same thing. Long story short it's easy for team tactics to crumble and no way to reward players contribution accordingly.
    MWO also features one of worst experience and pilot development system. In order to improve some sills of your pilot on a specific mech, you need to grind xp, obviously, but in order to progress to higher tier feats, you need to grind skills and feats on 3 other variants of same mech model! Meaning if you got your cataphract and you got it geared and ready for combat, you will literarly need to buy 3 other variants, grind them, sell them so you can progress in the one original you have! And that is no cheep deal, believe me! Buying those useless mechs is a wallet smashing deed, and Piranha Games couldn't be more obvious with "you MUST give us money" attitude than that, also pushing out new premium mechs every month instead of FIXING THEIR DAMN GAME, is just a sign of an awful dev. It is a shame that there are games out there, vehicle based MMO battlesims, that are aware of how to treat their clients.
  54. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (1/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (2/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (1/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (-1)

55. Nov 18, 2013
    The title has a lot of potential but the developer fail and continue to fail to keep to their promises.. you just cant wait forever. this game has taken too long to develop and continue to cash grab
  56. Nov 13, 2013
    Game registry is purposely nerfed if you have a high elo.
    Moderators delete any talk on the forum about anything faulting the developers.
    Matchmaker is broken.
    Maps and mech selection are boring and repetitive due to design flaws.
    Game itself is repetitive.

I was so excited for this... but now it's just
  57. Nov 11, 2013
    This game can be explained easily WOT with mech warrior skin. Except with terrible collisions. You will find yourself getting stuck and unable to move near small objects and many objects you can walk inside of and shoot through.... This game feels like its barely reached alpha. They cranked out Pay 2 Play pilot skills only available for real cash and no way F2P people can get them or anything like them. Its not small things too one gives a radar that shows all enemies in a huge radius so people that an pay money will never be surprised attacked again. Seriously nothing new and is worst than WOT Expand
  58. Nov 10, 2013
    A mediocre installment in the Mechwarrior franchise the game has a somewhat solid mechanical base but is plague by a parade of technical and balancing issues that have lead to a largely divided and caustic player base. Failed promises, truly ponderous update progress and poor developer communication has only driven a larger wedge between the already bitter community and the developers. The new player experience is incredibly unforgiving with little in the way of game play explanations and hidden unexplained mechanics like ghost heat cripple new players without telling them why. The combat at it's core is interesting and the customization creates a lot of interesting options, but the weapon balance and hit registration problems force a small variety of cookie cutter builds on the player base in order to remain effective. Try the game if you're a die hard mech fan but don't bother sinking any money into it since you're only going to regret it once the realization of the state of the game and community sink in. Expand
  59. Nov 9, 2013
    This game does not deliver on its promise. High points are good graphics and great sound engineering. The rest is decidedly underwhelming.

The game modes are boring and uninspired. The BattleTech rules are badly represented; typical problems that have plagued MechWarrior games in the past and which the developers swore to avoid have reappeared: weapon boating, power creep, heavier is
    better.

Technical issues keep throwing things back. Standard features such as lag compensation (in a real-time multiplayer shooter, of all things) took months to even appear on the roadmap. In fact, it was once an official position that lag compensation in particular was not strictly neccessary for a game of this type.

Generally, the developers do not seem to know what they are doing.
  60. Nov 6, 2013
    Best battletech game ever. Yes, there are still somethings to do but it is free to play, easy to learn, and just a lot fun. Try it and u will love it.
  61. Nov 6, 2013
    One of the things I look into before getting into an mmo is not only how good the game looks, but also how it plays as well as how the community is. I got to say after scrutinizing the forums and learning the history of the game, which strongly reminds me of my days back in SWG, I decided to put this game down, if it is of any indication, there isnt much future left in it. Gameplay wise, it extremely generic with certain options completely dominating the game, the 3rd person view feels akward and completly ruins whatever immersion there is to be had when facing an enemy team of exactly the same suits. Definetly not newbie friendly. If there was any potential to this tittle, its been completly thorn from it. Expand
  62. Nov 4, 2013
    Where to start with the biggest letdown in my gaming career? It's hard to describe succinctly how far this game missed the mark, but I'll attempt to tell the story of MWO's development as honestly as I can.

During the early summer last year, the developers of MWO (Piranha Games PGI) offered a Founder's Program to help fund the game and bring in tons of fans to test and provide feedback
    on the game. There was a grand vision of where the game was going, it was all documented in the dev blogs, and this is the vision that was used to market the game at this stage.

In closed beta at this time (I bought in to the beta through the founder's program) the game was essentially a giant trainwreck. The UI was completely awful, and often crashed your game. Actually, nearly everything crashed your game at this point. The netcode was awful, the game only had one mode, and there was a very thin selection of mechs and maps. However, this was the point where the game most closely resembled a proper mechwarrior game, and it's only gone downhill from this point.

I should also point out, that at this point there were many strong positives about the game. It was gorgeous, for starters, and the combat pacing was excellent. It was still early in development, so the massive problems could be overlooked, as there was a shining gem underneath all of that.

Over the nearly year and a half since I joined the beta, I've watched poor decision after poor decision completely erode that shining gem underneath into a dull, bland, rock. All the while repeatedly missing development milestones, and completely forgetting about or willfully ignoring the original vision that the game was sold on.

A small list of features this game was supposed have had months ago:
    -DX11
    -New game modes (dropship mode, and asymmetrical assault)
    -UI 2.0
    -Lobbies (yes, an online game that doesn't have lobbies of any kind)
    -In-game VOIP (yes, an online game that doesn't have in-game voice of any kind)
    -Community Warfare (the large overarching meta-game system)
    -Mech tonnage limits
    -Functional bases with turrets and capture mechanics
    -Clan mechs
    -Role Warfare (systems and skills that made each mech class and role unique and useful this in particular has completely failed and this doesn't exist in the game at all. You either go fast and cap bases, or carry lots of guns)

And now, here we are at launch day. The game has seen exactly 0 of the promised features actually make it into the game. Instead, PGI utterly ignored its community and wasted immense amounts of time developing features that no one wanted, like P2W consumables and third-person view.

So, in closing MWO is an incomplete mess of a game that has changed very very little from its closed beta state.

Graphics: 5/10 This was a 8/10 before, but continued 'optimizations' have steadily ruined this department. Mech scaling to the environment has always felt completely off as well.
    Sound: 9/10 Quite good, actually... a highlight.
    Music: 0/10 Lol, they forgot this feature.
    Presentation: 2/10 The UI is extremely bad, dense, and non-intuitive
    Gameplay: 1/10 Perpetually bad decision making has taken what was once an extremely fun stompy robot game and made it a bland twitch shooter. There are only two game modes, which are both extremely simple and essentially 'stand in square or kill everyone.' The game is horribly imbalanced, and is extremely unfriendly to newbies. You can expect to have your face used as a bullet sponge when you first attempt to play, as the matchmaker will happily drop you against grizzled veterans that have mechs far far more powerful than what you start with.

This game gets a 3/10 overall for nostalgia reasons only, I had tons of fun playing this once upon a time. The current game is a shallow grindfest, and looks like that is going to continue for a very long time. I can't say don't try it, as it is free, but do not be tempted to spend money, you will later regret it.

PS I will likely be banned from the game for this review. Yes... PGI actually are complete dicks like that.

Update: I've been banned (and received zero notification of it). Thanks for proving my point!
  63. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is heaps of fun if you've played the previous Mechwarrior games and are a long-time fan of the Battletech stuff, like I am. But I'll start with the bad. Promised development and improvements are slow in coming. They introduced 3rd person. Some of the chat from other players is atrocious, and there will always be a few idiots that think friendly fire is somehow fun. The ELO system is not based on individual skill.
    But here's what's really special about it:
    1. It's not pay-to-win! Plenty of other games out there are, but I do much better in the mechs I got without spending any money on than I do with the special ones that cost me $.
    2. There's no respawning. It matters to you and your team if you get destroyed in the match. Most games respawn, so it doesn't matter like it would in real life. Immersion is king!
    3. Deeeeep customisation.
    4. There is some form of teamwork, albeit it handicapped by PUGs and voice-chat options that aren't particularly user-friendly.
    5. There's nothing random in the gameplay, winning or losing is entirely based on skill and teamwork.

All that together makes it a very engaging, complex and awesomely fun shooter.

But if you're not a fan of the whole battletech thing and aren't used to the previous Mechwarrior games (which came out over a decade ago) you can expect a tough time in your early days. Stick at it though, it's fun already and will get better.
  64. Oct 27, 2013
    This game showed to so much promise, however between the complete lack of any real progress, and the producers repeatedly going back on their word (after cashing in on the investment players made in the game based off false promises) it is drifting farther and farther way from mechwarrior, not to mention good game design and balance. Do Not Recommend.
  65. Oct 25, 2013
    If they hadn't promised people that kickstarted their project one thing and did the other, this would just be a half developed game by a C grade game dev. But as it stands, this is a dishonest arrogant and inept developer. Every month the cash shop has new items and expands consistently. And the game, after a year and a half, pretty much stays the same. I could elaborate, but the various review sites and player blogs have documented this game devs failings well, no need to repeat. Famous IP, made into a turkey, go Star citizen folks! Expand
  66. Oct 24, 2013
    It's fun. Sit around the computer at get drunk fun. But before that is a lot of time wasted and plenty of frustration to accommodate the experience to an average level at best.
  67. Oct 24, 2013
    I was very excited to try the game out, waited a night for it to download, and was sorely disappointed after playing a few matches. The game kept tossing me up against grizzled veterans, and squaddies who hated anybody who wasn't very good. I have to say, the community for this game is horrible when it comes to new players. I'm not saying it's a bad game, if you had friends or knew what you were doing it'd probably be fun, the sounds are nice, the graphics are okay, but really none of that makes a difference when you're being murdered horribly. Expand
  68. Oct 23, 2013
    For players who are not familiar with battletech don't have any idea about what's going on here. No content, I mean no story or campaign. So why can you chose a faction?! Whats this faction for?! No background info about this game, no missions only multiplayer.
  69. Oct 20, 2013
    First it's free! Second, it's giant stompy mechs! Solid game play and mech customizations make this a fun online game to play with a good selection of maps. Many fans have been involved during its Beta release and some of that drama has bled into the toxic reviews. Seriously, rating one or even zero for a free working game that they admittedly say was fun is not helpful. Again, you don't need money to play the game, but it helps to raise experience and money for gear if you had a premium account. Also, it does help if you game with others in the MechWarrior Online community. I admit it's much more fun to Shoot, Move and Communicate with friends. I believe that's the core of the game, having fun with friends in an online gaming community. Expand
  70. Oct 18, 2013
    While a promising category and basis for a game (giant robots!) the game continues to struggle through buggy, repetitive and frustrating gameplay. Although excelling graphically and allowing for a wide range of customizations for your "mech," the failure of the developing company to properly balance the game and resolve recurring bugs has turned its fanbase rabid.

Throughout its beta
    phase, the game was plagued with horrible weapon balancing, frequent disconnects, and other issues. Many of these problems remain in current gameplay, even after a year of "beta" testing and feedback. Moreover, and much more painful, is the game's team balancing system. This system, which is ineffective if not totally absent, pits new players against highly experienced players, places light mechs against assault and heavy mechs, and allows teams using outside communications to play against groups comprised of individuals without coordination. The results are predictable... a game which is either repetitive and unskilled, or incredibly frustrating.

At this point, the developers are almost solely focused on the release of new mech variants, as this is where the game generates its pay-2-win revenue. It is becoming more apparent that the soul of the game has departed the developers, and the game is devolving into a shameless cash-grab.

Unless you truly intend to play it for free, avoid the game. While the game is promising, it cannot currently deliver. Until these issues are fixed, it is likely your money is best spent elsewhere.
  71. Oct 18, 2013
    Came into this game excited to play a Mechwarrior title without an ending. It's a lot of things to take in as a new player. The learning curve is steep, but rewarding once you get the hang of it. There's a training mode to test out how your mech moves. Other then that your throw into wolves as it were. Every match your thrown into has multiple people usually groups of four or more who are using outside game voice chat programs. As a new player you will die often, pretty much all the time as your team gets rolled by people using voice chat. There is no separate queues for solo playing. And they have no plan to add an in-game voice chat. So if your new, and want to play the game solo queuing for these matches you will grow frustrated and quit. Expand
  72. Oct 14, 2013
    I have really enjoyed watching this game develop. In fact, just about the only thing that bugs me about it is the players who are never satisfied with anything the devs do.

As of this posting, the weapons are balanced fairly well, Elo matchmaking is in, they are about to release (tomorrow, actually) a wave of new mechs, the game is stable, and I really enjoy the time I spend playing
    it.

While I would have preferred a standard boxed game for my Mechwarrior experience, I understand that F2P is the reality for the industry now whether or not I like it, and I do approve of how the devs have decided to monetize the game. It is not in any way pay2win, it is pay2avoidsomegrind. While that bothers some people, I feel like there really isn't much grind because I enjoy the gameplay. If you want to collect mechs like you would collect pokemon, then yes, you're going to be frustrated unless you lay out some cash. However, if you don't have to have everything immediately and enjoy a tactic shooter, you really owe it to yourself to try this game.

And for the love of Pete, read the FAQs and newbie section of the forums for play tips first. I will say that they need better tutorials for those who have not played previous Mechwarrior games before and who don't look at the key mapping.
  73. Oct 14, 2013
    Mechwarrior online is great game with few unfinished features what have got part of playerbase upsed but core gameplay is awesome. Many balance problems are fixed and game is nowadays much fun. Game has steep learning curve but time spent wont be wasted. Hope that more players would get interesred this mechmayhem. See you on battlefield.
  74. Oct 12, 2013
    This game is not fun. It's bad. The graphics are bad. The sound is bad. The netcode is terrible. The developers are terrible. The community is terrible. Try it at your own risk.

At this point the game exists as nothing more than a way to take advantage of fanboys and white knights who will spend money on anything with Battletech or Mechwarrior on it.
  75. Oct 11, 2013
    This is a very fun free to play game about huge battlemechs, the F2P business-model is fair and the game runs smoothly. There's certainly enough maps and they are adding more, only 2 gamemodes though. the game has good in-depth mech customization as well.
  76. Oct 10, 2013
    I am a Legendary Founder and have played since closed beta. I was sold on the ideas of a great MechWarrior action game (which this game isn't) with planetary battles/factions via Community Warfare (which they've hardly even started work on even though the game is released).

The truth of things is that PGI got screwed over by their publisher IGP. A massive amount of cash was raised by
    Founders to fund this game, but sadly a lot of it was funnelled away from MechWarrior Online and into other IGP projects. This left PGI in hopelessly over their heads having made promises they couldn't keep.

The result is a game that has a mediocre online mech gift shop and no gameplay depth whatsoever. It takes mindless grinds to a whole new level. There are so many missing features; there's not even a basic lobby to organise and socialise.

I have to say in closing that the way the players have been treated has been a demonstration in how not to run a community.
  77. Oct 10, 2013
    I was putting together a review that would best describe my opinion for this game, when i ran across an article on GameFront. The article is called, "A Cautionary Tale: The Rage of the Mechwarrior Online Community." It's written very intelligently. I would recommend that everyone read it so they can understand why there are so many negative opinions of this game as a whole. I won't include a link since that's not kosher here.. but u can plug the quoted phrase into any search engine and find it.

People may gripe that it deserves a better review. They'll say, "People are complaining about the publisher. The game is good." Now, think about this. This game was crowd funded. Normally, whoever makes a game to sell pays for it up front. They try to craft something that will sell the most games. WIth crowd funding, they take your money first. They get it because they promise you a game that you will want and tell you everything that you want to hear. Shouldn't they feel obligated to deliver on those promises?

Now, if you wanted your house painted blue, paid someone to paint it blue, and came home to a red house, wouldn't you be the least bit angry? Wouldn't you at least question why and expect a straight answer? Of course they offer to repaint it. The next day, however, your house is green. They convince you that you wanted it green. Green is better then blue. They promised you blue, but after taking your money, you end up with green. Would you be happy? Something to think about.

update 10/10
    I didn't think it could get any worse, but sadly I can't drop the score any lower. I have been encountering swarms of bugs and game freezes since my review posted that have been present since early game. I had believed these to be fixed, but they seem to re-emerge with each new patch. I will be putting together a review soon of the "new player experience." in it, you'll see exactly how much time and effort are required to get to a playable state (ie "not" overheating constantly and dying early). it will include detailed stats at each milestone, unlike pgi.. that just makes up numbers based on "theoretical averages" to blow smoke up your butt. yes, real numbers.
  78. Oct 10, 2013
    dev's disrespect community. features promised not delivered. F2P but P2W. gameplay is so buggy youll miss 90% of your shots. match-making encourages steamrolling or spamming 1 weapon type. litterly 2 or 3 maps that i remember. 2 game modes only 1 mode makes it so that light mecs are KIND OF useful only their mostly garbage. despite looking like complete ass and using directx9 it still has the audacity to drop below 60 FPS.

steer clear. this game is F2P and P2W rolled into one.
  79. Oct 5, 2013
    This game has its good points and bad points but it's also still under continuing development. It might be a while before we start seeing things such as the strategic element but they do have a roadmap and have given it much thought.
    I'd say this game is alright and has potential. Certainly worth checking in to see how it progresses but not something I would hold my breath over since the
    progress is a touch on the slow side. Still, I enjoy it from time to time. Expand
  80. Oct 4, 2013
    A fun and nostalgic game, but PGI made a huge mistake by bringing the game out of beta in the state that it's in. If they had waited until the release of UI 2.0, more game modes, and more polish, I believe the game would have been better at the official release, and subsequently, the reviews would have been better. The game needs a good bit of work to be great.
  81. Oct 1, 2013
    Boring.

Where some games like Arma aren't action packed ADD experiences, they're still enjoyable. Mechwarrior is painfully uninspired and the customization system is too all over the place.
  82. Sep 30, 2013
    Thank you PGI for lying to all the old fans and making this horribly unbalanced game. Thank you PGI for making this game look worse than a game that came out in 2006 Thank you PGI for making a game so bad it dooms the possibility of more mechwarrior games. Thank you PGI for making MWO 11/10 "SRS" 5 stars "JIDF" it's a hit. "IGN" inb4 I get banned from MWO when the devs read these reviews. Expand
  83. Sep 29, 2013
    An adequate mech shooter marred by a polarised and toxic community, indifferent developers and what appears to be a main screen/menu that's comprised of 80% ads for overpriced in-game items.

It is recommended that prospective players first approach the forums for information regarding C-Bill spending, as earnings after the initial cadet bonus are abruptly castrated not constructing the
    first owned mech properly can make or break a new user's experience.

If you're here purely for stompy-shooty, then this is your game. If you seek depth and the big vision of interplanetary mech warfare initially foisted on the wary long-time players by the dubious developers, look elsewhere.

Teamspeak is a must.
  84. Sep 29, 2013
    Extremely disappointed. This company trashed the IP with it's shoddy incomplete product and premiupricing. Steer clear of this one if you are a MW fan, it's a hollow world of tanks ripoff more than a true MW game.
  85. Sep 28, 2013
    This game lacks any kind of repeatability after about the first week of playing. There are limited maps, even less game modes and the match making has to be one of the worst around. There are many times you will have 10 game losing streaks as your grouped against pre made groups. The game feels more like it should be in closed beta than an official release.
  86. Sep 28, 2013
    i had expected a lot more from it. Or maybe i had false expectations to begin with. Mechwarrior or rather BattleTech for me is a mixture between RP or character development and tactical mech combat. But what i get here is instanced arenas where players incidentally fight in mechs.

And the worst part is i do not even recognize most mechs. They are so far from the pen & paper sourcebook
    material that some of them are unrecognizable.

I also found that they do not have sufficient individual characteristics and that the combat was much MUCH more twitch based than having the feeling of piloting some dozens of tons of steel. To me it felt more like one of those "mecha" games where you are in powerarmor and not like you are in a huge robot.

on the technical side well, i guess it is the engine decision. this engine does not run well on my system, which is entirely my problem though and i do not blame the game for it but for such a small-scale game it does not even look very good.
    the sounds are OK but lack a lot of "punch", the effects are only standard.

but all that would be irrelevant if the game did not feel like some generic 1st person shooter.

When it comes to multiplayer i came to the conclusion that the MTX mechwarrior 4 mercs title, which is a free download, is more fun even if by todays standards it looks hideous.

conclusion: when you regret the download on a "free to play title", something is wrong, or it simply was not "your type of game".
    i like battletech but i wish we d rather get a real mechwarrior 5 than a free to play arena shooter.
  87. Sep 28, 2013
    The best thing I can say about MWO is it didn't cause my computer to catch fire, so that is something.

Mechs are woefully unbalances as are teams and entire matches. The overwhelming majority of matches I have played in end in a one sided slaughter. The learning curve is brutal as is the grind to obtain anything worth stomping around in.
    Only two modes, well one really, since
    "conquest" just ends up being a slaughter fest most of the time anyway.
    The number of boards is pathetic.
    River City. River City Night.
    Frozen City. Frozen City Night.
    Come one, changing the lighting or adding snow is your idea of a new map?

The last, best hope is for this to die quickly and the IP picked up by someone competent.
  88. Sep 28, 2013
    Want a no BS review without the flowers and rainbows being shot out of someones butt at you? Here you go:

The game isn't done, not by a long range missile shot. It has bugs, and not just a few, many. Worse, quite a few have been in the game for half a YEAR and have not been fixed. MORE worse, they haven't even been acknowledged and aren't even given an ETA on being fixed. Much MORE
    worse, they've outright lied to the players and the people who invested REAL eash to fund the game. They made FIVE MILLION DOLLARS since July of last year, but did they hire some serious programers or coders? Nope, kept it all in-house and just kept riding the "Battletech" fame that OTHER developers, writers and games have built over the last 30 years.
    You want lots of promises with no serious game play, sign up, but bring your own lube because they don't use any when they stick it to you.
  89. Sep 28, 2013
    As a Battletech fan, I've played almost all and every game around the franchise, and this iteration brought up a lot of hype back in the day. It was 10 years after the last known official mechwarrior game, and the community was hungry,

Unfortunately, the game developed by Piranha games is, at launch day, nothing more than a beta. The progress over the last year has been minimum to none,
    and, while it's got a huge potential, more and more features are either delayed or treated the opposite way Piranha sold me a year and a half ago.

I think I'll wait for the next iteration.
  90. Sep 28, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Mechwarrior and Battletech franchises. I've played them since the original tabletop game came out. It is a universe filled with rich heritage, intricate balance, and unique customization.

When MW:O was announced I bought the biggest Founder's package they offered, to wholeheartedly offer my support. They promised a continuation of the series that I'd come to
    know and love, offering giant stompy mech goodness.

The promise was one of more faction-driven combat on a galactic scale, with highly customizable battlemechs in unprecedented detail.

We started with a game that started with a strong foundation and very tried-and-true mechanics, easily tweaked to fit the engine that PGI selected to support it.

As testing progressed, the game has gotten less glitchy, which is a testament to their work, but the balance has been continuously destroyed. Without any real effect of tonnage in-game, and with broken weapon stats, a 35 ton Spider can easily expect to not only destroy hundred-ton assault mechs like the Atlas, but in fact, to deal far more damage.

The developer ignores constructive feedback and suggestion, while using draconian measures to hide any hint of dissatisfaction or negativity in the forums.

When I emailed the developers a few weeks ago, I mentioned that a lot of the game's Founders were very upset with the fact that the game was such a departure from other Mechwarrior games. I specifically asked why so many seemingly random changes were being implemented, and why more of the old Battletech rules were not being utilized. I also asked about aspects of the game that are absent, and unlikely to be added even if Community Warfare is ever implemented.

Here is a part of the reply I got, unedited, and in context.

"I feed on the hostility myself as a long time gamer I've come to realize that there will ALWAYS be some who are unhappy for whatever reason. I'm personally enjoying this game quite a bit, although I think it helps that while I played the old MechWarrior games, I wouldn't call myself a huge fan I don't feel like I need to relive my childhood, etc. still that's just my own thoughts."

Why are people that don't even care for the old MechWarrior games in charge of producing this one?

As it stands, the game is now just a mindless grind, with total disregard for any reason to be fighting. Twelve mechs at a time batter themselves to bits ineffectually, while their pilots spend more money on a doomed and badly done version of this once-amazing franchise.

I still love MechWarrior, but MWO isn't it. I've hung up my cooling vest until further notice, folks. Maybe the next generation of this game will be better.
  91. Sep 27, 2013
    I am seeing wide variation in ratings here on Metacritic for Mechwarrior Online. I think I might know why.
    TWO different games are bing rated at the same time, causing lots of confusion:
    1. There is a First Person Shooter using Mechs that is being rated. It is basically the Beta of MWO,
    which has been somewhat dumbed-down for less knowledgeable players.
    2. There is the PROMISED MMO
    with new UI 2.0, Community Warfare, longterm objectives, AI
    opponents, etc which has been delayed again and again.

The original Founders paid big money into this game for the development of a rich, in depth BattleTech
    Experience. Instead, apparently most of the money they paid was used to develop another game! The
    title of which has Mechwarrior in it, but it is "tactics".
    So basically, I believe the developers have discovered that diehard BattleTech Fans will pay for a mere
    ghost of the game they were promised, and can be milked for more and more money with more and more
    Empty promises. After a year in open beta, this game has not progressed, it has gone backwards! Many
    supporters have walked away in anger, having figured out they were suckered by an immoral game company. But that is OK! The developers changed this FPS so that with 3rd person view, even the simplest gamer can play it, or so they hope. Then they can milk a new crowd of BattleTech fans for more
    Money before the game DIES.......

So you will continue to see 10 and 9 ratings, which are actually for the simple Deathmatch game with Mechs. And you will continue to see Zeroes and ones and twos from the people who are angry it is not what was promised and what they PAID for!

Maybe the developers should change the name of the game to Mechwarrior Deathmatch Online, and be honest for a change? And let another company develop a real BattleTech Game?
  92. Sep 27, 2013
    The game is tolerable for short periods, recurring video problems as well as crashing issues make the game a iffy proposition if you're going to play with friends.

The dev's are a huge weak point for this product and as of launch the games design pillars are almost all missing. The devs take months to do simple things for instance it generally takes a full month to review a weapon
    tweak, sometimes it's more than that leaving the flavor of the month to last entire seasons, the summer of the sniper meta for instance. Map bugs are also long lasting, and map design is weak in general.

These same devs are reprtedly are working hard on the key design pillars but after almost a year in open beta they’re still missing and given their shady history of lying about what will and won’t be in the game you have to wonder if any of the stated design pillars will ever make it into the product.

In the end I’d say to go to other products which have a more constant history of telling the truth, as well as more stable products and more professional developers.

TL;DR
    Just don't do it man, you'd be better off with any of the other possible F2P games
  93. Sep 26, 2013
    While it would be white-washing to say that the game is without issues (as all new games are), it is clear from reading many of the reviews that a lot of the people who are slagging the game are disenfranchised individuals who take their dislike of a certain design feature or the unavailability of a feature at launch to mean that they can (and should) call the game garbage. This is, unfortunately, very characteristic of the entitled attitude that many gamers have.

Shortly before launch, two things happened; a feature that the developers had stated quite some time ago would not be used was in fact put in game (and as of writing this is no longer in any meaningful matches), and Community Warfare (the 'meat and bones') was post-poned. Both were disappointing issues, but understandable on both counts; regarding the first issue of the suddenly-implanted feature, design paradigms change for any product, and it was still Beta; at actual launch, the feature was relegated to 'casual only' games, not true competition. Regarding post-poning Community Warfare, it's only to be expected that a F2P title with a limited budget may have to push a feature back awhile.

Neither occurrence should be reason to slag the game in horrible ways, but the spite of internet warriors is indeed legendary. I would urge anyone who comes here for advice on what to play to take a good, hard look at what one is reading, and if it looks hyper-negative, to disregard it.

Fundamentally, MW:O is a Free-to-Play title. Free. As in it does not cost most players a single penny. If this game had been released and/or published by a company like Blizzard-Activision, Microsoft, or even Electronic Arts, I would say that a number of criticisms were fair. As it is, it is a free-to-play title from a minor studio who built a functional and stable game in only two years on a very small budget. Their entire development team wouldn't even fill a single section at any major developer. Perspective goes a long, long way towards affecting how one should see things, and I think that some people simple forget to put this company and this title in said perspective.

Game Play: Superb. The game has been stable for most players for quite a long time. There are terrain bugs at times, and as with any PvP game, weapons and equipment balance is always in flux; if there are complaints about PvP in games like World of Warcraft, with a decade of development under its belt and billions of dollars to command, it should surprise nobody that MW:O has its own issues. For the most part, though, the game plays well; it feels like you are in command of a giant machine, not like you are some faceless solider in a Call of Duty clone.

Graphics: Rendered on the Cry Engine, the game looks as one would expect very, very good. DX11 is in the pipe for testing and should only increase the magnitude of what we already see, which is fluid movement, gorgeous lighting, beautifully rendered 'mechs, and a very 'to scale' impression of combat.

Sound: The effects are brilliant, and especially with headphones or with a good surround-sound system, one feels very much like one is in the of a machine. The only failing is the lack of music. Trailers for the game and trailers for special 'money only' BattleMechs have featured some fantastic music, all original compositions, but none is in the game... yet.

Overall: If you're a BattleTech or MechWarrior fan, this is worth it. If you're a Call of Duty-style gamer, this is not your kind of game. If you want to play something that requires team-work, something that is far (FAR) more complex and challenging that your standard FPS game, and something that has a bright future in the form of dynamic and meaningful results from battles, MW:O is a great title to get onboard with. It's not all here yet, but it's getting there.
  94. Sep 26, 2013
    I used to be involved in the competitive scene in this game. I played in RHOD and watched the metagame stall and finally lost total interest after a competitive scene dominated by one type of mech was allowed to exist for 6+ months. PGI has continuously failed to deliver and created overwrought and expensive ideas where simple number balancing would have worked. I also participated in the first and only ever community involvement event, the Design a Trial Heavy contest. I chose literally the worst chassis of the worst mech and fit it out with a configuration I had never driven before and won.

This game is garbage and most of the development and publishing companies are blind to the issues with the game. Rust in Pieces 'Mechwarrior Online.

SQUAWK!
  95. Sep 26, 2013
    Contrary to what some of the haters have been about the Devs not paying any attention to what the players want, this is one of the few games around where the Devs take time to read the forums and actually answer there and act on what is being said. That said you cannot please every one, but for the haters who think that the devs are deaf, try World of Tanks where the player base is ignored totally by the Dev Team and where the players will die of a heart attack if there ever is a reply from one of the Devs. Expand
  96. Sep 26, 2013
    Mechwarrior Online is a decent game. The concept is solid and has potential, but at the moment there is not much content (and a lot of grinding to make up for it) and there is an inexcusable technical problem which makes small fast mechs unreasonably difficult to hit. Aside from this, the matches are fun. In organized groups, there is considerable depth to the gameplay as well.
  97. Sep 26, 2013
    Been playing since very early on and its been nothing but one crushing disappointment after another, and from that early on its been clear the only objective here is to milk money as fast as possible and to hell with what people are actually interested in playing
  98. Sep 26, 2013
    Replayability 9
    Progressing 7
    Chat 2
    ----------------
    6.7 from me. The core core is there they just need to add more game modes and a better UI which should be in soon
    Result 7
  99. Sep 26, 2013
    After a 10 year Hiatus Mechwarrior explodes once again on to the PC and this time its a F2P title. At its heart MWO captures perfectly mech combat and customisation that are the hallmarks of this franchise. It has excellent graphics and sound, and battles are tense affairs where you try to eek out the best from your build and stomp to glory. In this respect MWO delivers and as a F2P title you would be mad to pass it up. That said the game is not flawless. The new player experience can be somewhat unforgiving, especially for those new to piloting mechs. PGI the games developers have recently added a movement tutorial and plan to follow this up with further instruction. However the match maker can often pitch green players against veterans and this may cause frustration. At its heart though MWO is a team based game and provided that new players stick with their team there should be no reason they wont achieve victory.

MWO also seems a rather fair F2P title without any P2W components. The free starter mechs are outclassed by player custom jobs, but all the content (with exception to Hero Mechs which offer an earnings bonus and different weapon configs) is accessible without spending a penny. Currently the meta game consists of earning C-Bills (money) and XP (Experience Points) in order to upgrade your mechs and expand your pilot skills. The mech customisation is excellent and features most of the options found in the board game. The pilot skills are generic for each type of mech chassis and whilst offering good bonuses could do with some more variation and specialisation.

In fact this cycle of battles and customisation and unlocks is incredibly addictive helped in no small way by the multilayered combat. This truely is a "Thinking Mans Shooter" and whist it can seem overwhelming to the new player the level of depth here provides for a rich and deep combat experiance that transends any other shooter this reviewer has played.

And whist that is MWO's strongest assest it is also its biggest shortcomming. Eventually you realise that the endless cycles of battles are all there is to the game. Whilst you may be having a literal blast playing them, MWO really does need other layers to round it out. Thankfully PGI are aware of this and from the get go have been promising players a much vaunted "Community Warfare" mode. In short this allows players to join factions from the game universe and engage in a ongoing campaign for the known galaxy. Unfortuantley despite the best laid plans of the devs CW isnt yet in the game. Which is a shame because with it MWO could easily rank up there as one of the best PC games of all time, let alone the best F2P title. The devs have stated that it is comming soon and infact plan to make a detailed announcement providing further details at their launch party. CW will also be preceeded my a much needed upgrade to the UI, which, whilst doing its job certainly could do with more polish.

So that said should you bother with MWO and will you be playing it in 2 months time? The answer is a unreserved YES! At its core as a action shooter it is fantastic. It requires the player to make a choice as to their prefered playstlye and then challenges them to create a mech which can undertake that role most effectively. Provided the player does some research outside the game (such as the MWO forums) the sheer range of options can be breathaking. This in itself is reason enough to get this on your hardrive. However when CW arrives it has the potential to boost this title into the stratosphere. However without that feature and given the current poor UI and unforgiving new player experiance I have to award MWO 8/10. Once CW and UI2 drop though....get ready for something special.
  100. Sep 25, 2013
    A game of great potential, but persistently hampered by increasingly slow development times. There is a strong admitance that the game is not complete, but as it has been in beta for over two years, nobody should be holding their breath for the features that initially suckered us in to the game 2 years ago. I can certainly say that if Mechwarrior Online can sustain itself long enough to truly full-fill its original design document, then it will be a great game to play, one worthy of proper competitive gaming. But I anticipate that this time is going to be at least another year or two, and it might not have hat long left to live. Expand
  101. Sep 17, 2013
    While surprisingly competent when working at the technical aspects of the game, the Developers have shown a consistent and blatant disregard for any sort of community feedback or input in the game's development and balancing process.

Further exasperating things are the regular cash grabs, broken design pillars/promises, and endless delays on key features such as Community Warfare and an
    improved out-of-match user interface. Collapse

1. Sep 14, 2014
    Nice gameplay and deep strategy for the latest incarnation of Mechwarrior. Too bad it lacks any kind of Single Player content.
  2. Nov 4, 2013
    Slightly overpriced, but a more than worthy successor to one of PC gaming’s greatest franchises that nails the important part: combat.
  3. Oct 22, 2013
    MechWarrior Online does a pretty good job in balancing out the gameplay and gives you lots of BattleMechs, weapons and items to buy, but it's got only two game modes and it's definitely not that fun.