7.4

1. Jul 26, 2012
    A game for Yankees only. A game with a "little" anti-Japanese propaganda. Anyway, the graphics are good, but the scripting is not always. The story is not bad, maybe a little boring. The AI is mediocre. What else can I say about this game? It's not a good one, but also it's not a bad one.
  2. Nov 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is set in the rather unworn Pacific Theater. Unfortunatley that is - along with some other minor things - the probably only Pro I was able to set against a lot of Cons.

Other things I liked: The medics are a welcomingly different approach to actually have yourself starting to manage the pleas for help and/or decrease the number of suicidal charges during a level. Usually I put on a certain number of those with the reassuring fact in the back of my head that there will be a med pack somewhere after. In MoHPA it either won't or will be very seldom.
    The tense atmosphere in the last campaign, the taking of Tarawa.

The longer list of things I hated:
    The Graphics are outdated even for a 2004 release. I know there's a huge debate going on between players of Call of Duty and MoH about which franchise is better. In terms of graphics I would like to take side for CoD. Even the first 2003 release of CoD looks more decent than MoH. On a plus side CoD will support custom screen resolution and ratio settings (though through horrible textfile support), while MoHPA can be played 1600x1200, 4:3 max which looks you are fighting the Imperial Army of Curiously Short and Fat Japanese Men. There are some 16:9 resolutions supported but these being way below 1600x1200 resolution leaves you - using a big 16:10 display - fighting the Imperial Army of Japan (8bit Divisions). The choice which atrocity bothers you less is at least yours.

The team AI is horrible. I simply gave up at a certain point trying to make them do something helpful and started to take care of every single thing by myself. Though I am aware that this is what I'm supposed to do as a player, I've had other shooters where my team mates would follow scripts that would at least be helpful to some extend. Let me give two examples of why fighting with the badass marines of MoHPA and being out on a bicycle ride with a bunch of retarded chimpanzees is not of noticable difference: If an attacking Hiroshi Japanimoto takes cover behind a tree or a crate, he is henceforth regarded as 'dug in'. This will be heralded every 10 seconds, leaving you to decide which of the 'fortified' infantry positions really need attention and which can be resolved by let's say throwing a coconut, toothbrush, some cotton pads or stepping one pace left and then shoot.
    Another heavily utilized tactic is to avoid attacking enemies by turning one's back, standing still and taking one for the team/country/the little green man in the head with the bare back. I saw this dumbassery on at least two different situations and then I had to stop because my tears of anger were putting out my second keyboard. This not only binds useful medic resources, it also puts Uncle Sam in a very bad light for telling a bunch of looneys to be a well-trained special task force. From this point on I spent the rest of the game not only securing all 12 hour positions of our platoon, taking one pace at a time but saving the game after every damn taken coconut tree for whatever stupidity one of the guys might come up with next (Note: I did not see one of them juggling birthday cakes on a unicycle but was expecting that every minute)

The person who designed the flying levels needs to be put in a special place if he ever comes to game designer's hell. To be frank: I am not a huge fan of those vehicle levels regardless what shooter I am playing but if I have to do it, please let me do it in a way that does not leave me loosing all hopes of humanity and with an urge to stomp a kitten to death. First of all: The Mouse controls the plane instead of the obvious and well-functioning WASDs, which are set to control the rudders. Something you don't need to use in the entire level. The mouse controls are inverted (pulling the mouse back, lets the plane dive while pushing it forward will make it climb) and the plane itself behaves like a flying a box of oranges that where shot out of an diarrheic elephant's behind. Only worse. Also I encountered this nice glitch at the end of the mission when I was supposed to fly back to base and did not immediately joined my two (did I mention useless?) wing men but flying one more yaw roll, only to find myself being automatically drowned to death after some erratic radio messages, asking what the heck I was doing there. I was not expecting to be able to radio that I follow moron squad to the next waypoint but am for reasons of questionable game mechanics suddenly some 40 miles behind them, but I was also not expecting to be forced to play this motherlode from the last save point again. Fortunately (see above) I was already saving every flight mile at that point, but others should be warned.

The last level itself suffers from the same illness a lot of last levels do: They are too short and way too easy. I don't wanna spoil too much on it, but basically letting a battleship do all the work does not justify the build up all other Tarawa Missions do beforehand.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    Nunca habia tenido una sensacion de peligro y agobio en el campo de batalla como en este juego. La tensión que genera avanzar a cubierto entre la maleza sabiendo que a escasos metros puede esconderse un japo preparado para hundirte la bayoneta; caer herido y arrastraste tras una roca llamando desesperadamente al medico mientras escuchas a los japos cada vez mas cerca; saber que ya no le quedan mas botiquines al doctor y avanzar como si tu propia vida fuera la que estuviera en juego; estas son las sensaciones con las que te encontraras si juegas a este juegazo que a mi me marco hace ya bastante tiempo y que no he conseguido olvidar. Sensaciones, es un juego de sensaciones no de frios datos como horas de juego, numero de personajes en pantalla o cantidad de armas. Es cierto que tiene sus puntos oscuros: dificultad desmedida al final del juego, misiones menos acertadas (¿realmente era necesario pilotar el avion o abrirse paso por el barco en Pearl Harbor?) pero la sensacion de amenaza continua es incomparable con cualquier otro juego de guerra tipo arcade. Un clasico
    GRAFICOS:9 SONIDO:8 JUGABILIDAD:9 DURACION:8
  4. Aug 4, 2013
    Zanimljive lokacije, puno zeleniša i zasjeda,
    ali grafika je užasna....................................................................................

If there had been more variation on mission type, enemy AI hadn't cheated, and the feel of the weapons had been more solid, the gameplay could have lived up the awesome presentation value that the rest of the package promised.
  2. It's got frenzied action, a thoughtful storyline, and gameplay that will swallow you whole.
  3. Perhaps it's because after countless other games, particularly Call of Duty, those once magnificent scenes of senseless destruction no longer have the impact they once did. Scripted sequences have perhaps gone as far as they can go with these games.