• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 13, 2006
8.9

1. May 5, 2011
    Truly excellent game, the graphics are stunning, the sound is well put-together and, despite the huge amount of content rammed into the strategy game in Rome, Medieval 2 has done a very good job of giving players far more options and freedom, allowing for almost total sandbox gameplay, which is what makes it so replayable. The vast variety of what players can do makes this game almost second to none in its genre.
    The only thing I would take a mark off this for is that siege battles are often a complete nightmare, with regiments often disobeying orders or, even more irritating, half a regiment remaining on one side of a wall while the other stays on top, refusing to do anything while you furiously try and redirect it. This really frustrated me, but apart from that, the campaign is an excellent experience and the in-battle gameplay is astounding. Based on this, It well deserves a 9/10
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    A game that will make you feel like conquering the world. Out of all the total war games this is a personal favorite. Updated graphics bring units to life on the battlefield. Finally the player is able to recruit new units and buildings without a general present in the settlement. Ai is amazing for the most part on the battlefield however total war games have allways had issues with the Diplomacy option. This game is no different. You may get rejected for no conceivable reason when trying to be diplomatic toward another nation. This is one of my small gripes and nothing really serious is wrong with the game. Expand
  3. Apr 20, 2012
    I find this game to be the most frustrating game I've played in my entire life. Why? Among others, there's the fact that:
    1. Units tend to disobey your orders ALL THE TIME when in battle
    2. economy totally sucks in this game. it's vague, unpredictable and just plain irritating
    3. unit damage doesn't make any sense. it's impossible to tell if your archers are doing any damage in battle, or
    that your cavalry is actually DOING SOMETHING. there is no such thing as a total HP meter to see if you are actually winning or not. too annoying!!!
    4. the AI in campaign maps tend to attack you for no freaking reason at all. last time i played, suddenly the Roman Empire just decided to attack me for no reason, along with the Danes and the French. their behavior is beyond idiotic
    5. you will be excommunicated for the most simple things. too frustrating
    6. conquering lands takes FOREVER. it's too much of a struggle to just take a single freaking city
    7. the overal battle system is complete crap. automatically resolving battles is NEVER in your favor
    8. you cannot choose every faction by default. this game wants you to complete the 50 hour campaign of 5 factions before you can play as the race you want. why not just make every faction playable by default??
    9. building stuff is lineair and does not have any depth. you build a tannery to get leather armor. you build a fletchery to get archers. you build a stable to get cavalry. this DOESNT feel like i'm building a city at all. it's lame
    10. the overall repetitive gameplay. conquering other factions requires you to do the same things 50 times over and over again
    i can go on like this for a very long time. please, don't buy this game. it's really bad
  4. Nov 2, 2011
    Definately has to be one of the best strategy games I have ever played. Now I know what you're probably thinking; "why an eight then?". First of all, the gameplay offers a massive choice of nations and units each with their own traits, but accessing all of these factions can be a slog at times. The mix of battles, diplomacy, family traits and strategy AI create a truly realistic and immersive game that offers an infinate number of choices to your next move. However, sometimes the game can become a bit taxing to less motivated players (not that I'm complaining) and the AI during battles can often glitch. Whilst these glitches are mostly minor, they nevertheless break your immerson in the game and can be quite annoying when your soldiers glitch about instead of doing as they're told. Nevertheless, despite all its weaknesses, Med 2 is still a briliantly crafted game, its strategy mixed in with impressive graphics and cinematic music will keep you wound up in the Medieval age for hours. Expand
  5. Jun 20, 2011
    Fantastic game, limitless playability and excellent graphics among the best rts games I have ever played.
    A good all round winner, the bugs don't cause me many issues if you keep your eye on what your units are doing.
  6. Feb 9, 2013
    Great game, best in the TW series in my opinion. Takes the awesome Rome: TW and improves it. Individual soldiers in each units are also really diverse.
  7. Mar 7, 2012
    A good mix of turn-based and real-time strategy, although the turn-based elements often feel oversimplified. It does have a solid real time combat foundation, but the AI is either really good or really bad depending on the difficulty setting--there is no middle ground. If you are new to real time strategy games, this one has a pretty steep learning curve. Even seasoned players may feel overwhelmed. 17 different factions on top of long and short campaigns give a lot of room for different story paths and immense replayability. One campaign can take days, even months of play time. Expand
  8. Sep 9, 2011
    This is one of CA's best (with Rome Total War) games, it beats Empire, it beats Napoleon (which was rather a pile of garbage so that wasn't hard) and it beats Shogun2. It's from CAs good days, when there were modders and not every unit had to be sold as a dlc and it has a high replay value. I still like Medieval 2 better than anything that came after it.
  9. Nov 6, 2011
    An almost perfect game. A superb blend of RTS and Turn based strategy. Medieval 2 has stolen more gaming hours from me than any other title. Ever. Period. Coupled with the amazing addons from the community it surpasses (in terms of playability and longevity) any other game in my collection - and I have a big collection of games. The AI can be buggy at times, but this can be forgiven by the pure enjoyment of a huge siege or battle. However, the turn based part of the game is no slouch and is a deep and rewarding experience. If I was told I could only play one game from now until eternity it would be, without shadow of a doubt - Medieval 2. A Modern masterpiece. Expand
  10. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is great.Greater than most games, decent game-play, but not as much mods as Rome:total war.
    I like playing as the English because I am English!
  11. Sep 3, 2012
    Pretty good, but full of bugs. The gameplay is just as good as Rome, sieges are even better in my opinion. I absolutely hate the Mongols and Timurids though, they have massive armies that are almost guaranteed to not be destroyed unless you are able to mass thousands of troops to meet them right when they spawn on the campaign map. That, with the combination of many bugs/glitches, makes this short of being a great game. Expand
  12. Mar 9, 2012
    Great game but doesnt compares to Rome Total War, in some aspects it improved but in others it downgraded from the prequel, it has great mods such as Stainless Steel and Broke Crescent, and also the long awaited sequel to Europa Barbarorum (Rome total war mod), Europa Barbarorum 2!
  13. Mar 22, 2012
    Havent played shogun 2 or pre rome games. But this is the best in the series, far better game then rome, and a generally awesome game. AI is not great, but its entirely playable. The people saying you cant charge with cav are stuipid, double click and u charge, how could u not understand this, its in every single game and medieval 2 is no exception. Sieges are great, although u can hold off huge forces with just 5 peasent archers if the enemy doesent have siege weapons like catapolts and cannons. And even then any phalanix form able units can stop any breach with 2 units, but that is still pretty realistic, since generals from the time even said u need like 5 times the invading force if u want to capture a well defended castle, and 2x if u have the element of surprise.

Pope can be annoying however, and i am sad you cant turn off the pope, as he will often threaten with excommunication when u invade a christian city after they attack you, even if u have higher rank with the pope. Also if u break a ceasefire or alliance in under like 10 turns of making it u cant get any nation ever to ceasefire without spending like 50000 and a major city.

The pope often requests impossable things, eg in french campaign, his first mission was get england to give caen, a major castle that is englands greatest strategic area at the start of the game.
    He will also slightly down rank you if u dont join the crusades, which often are on the opposite side of the map (im in england and he requested crusades take juesalisim.

But aside form those few flaws, im loving this game much more then rome and definatly the later games empire and napoleon.
  14. May 22, 2012
    This is one of my favorite 4x strategy games off all time. I find myself constantly going back to this title. The weight of the religious influence seems accurate for the era and makes for a delightfully corrupting good time. Want a free pass to do whatever you please to Christendom? Well thatâ
  15. Jul 11, 2012
    Six years later and this game is still the best Medieval strategy/simulation game ever made. Until they decide to make Medieval III, this is the game to own!
  16. Jul 26, 2013
    The game is excellent. I like it much more than Empire: Total war and a bit more than Rome Total War. Giving it 9 stars and not 10 because of some pathfinding bugs which make fighting in closed space (like when attacking a city) annoying. There are other bugs as well.
    Still, a great game. Waiting for RomeTW 2
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    Medieval was not my first contact with the Total War series. Before that I was in Rome: Total War, and therefore many mechanisms was not foreign to me. That's right - I had the impression that I play the same thing, only that transferred to the Middle Ages. You can not deny the charm and expand the game, it certainly needed in strategy games. Fortunately, that Rome was a good game. Medieval Thanks is also very good, but not perfect. My score was 8, I think fair. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2013
    One of the best games ever made, bar none. Sorry if I come across as a fanboy, but it'd be easier to list the features which aren't perfect! Those being; the AI is pretty shoddy, it's quite historically inaccurate, even for a Total War game, and there was a very limited number of factions, though thankfully that was remedied by the Kingdoms expansion.
  19. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    Great game. Has a few faults but they are minor ones. I prefer the strategic aspect of the game, its combat can be tedious and the controls aren't perfect. But there is nothing better out there after so many years.
  20. Jun 5, 2013
    Because of the unique mod-ability of this game, it's still in 2013 one of the very best computer games of all time and the best of the total war series.

The Third-Area mod makes for the best Lord of the Rings game ever made!

The Call of Warhammer mod makes for the best Warhammer game ever made!
  21. Sep 8, 2013
    I am always surprised people prefer Rome Total War to this game. It has everything Rome had and more, so how can it be worse? It is really a very similar game but just in a different era and has a better campaign mode for sure, as well as some fantastic expansion packs and and larger campaign map. It was and still is my favourite ever total war game.
  22. Jan 4, 2014
    This is an incredibly fun and high-detailed game that is sure to keep the attention of many! Set in the medieval times (around the founding of the americas), this game is pretty accurate on its history. This game is truly no less that Miraculously fun.
  23. Apr 9, 2014
    This game is boss. It is the ultimate strategy game for PC(my opinion). It has amazing battles and the graphics are really good. The historical battles are real-life battles that can teach things about history. The campaign is realistic and it's really fun. This is an amazing game.
  24. Jul 31, 2014
    Medieval 2 Total War. Sure, doesn't sound as interesting as a game like, for example, Final Fantasy or Battlefield 4, but don't let the name be the game. In truth, Medieval 2 Total War will probably be one of the best military strategy games you have ever played. What is it? Medieval 2 Total War is a game where you get to build a mighty kingdom, through economy, diplomacy (if necessary), and - wait for it - ... brute force. This isn't like Clash of Clans, Good Game Empire or Game of War: Fire age, I'm talking about legitimate conquest: capturing cities, castles, and spreading your empire across Medieval Europe. Some categories that determined the score were:

Graphics - I have a not-so-great computer, I'll admit. So I was surprised when I saw that Medieval 2's graphics were almost as vivid and real as they would have looked like in real life. No joke. They're that good on a medium-low level computer.

Battles - I would have given it more had it not been for the max of 10 points. Here's how battles work: When you engage an enemy army or attack an enemy castle or town, you go into battle mode. This is where you engage the enemy army and try to kill them all, but here's the catch: YOU get to command your own army, instead of throwing armies out there and not get to see them fight, or get to see them fight but not have control over them, like in Clash of Clans. And once you get the hang of the simple controls, it'll make you feel like a true general. But wait, there's more! When you attack a castle, you get to fight the enemy army - in a castle!

If you love strategy games but find them dull or lifeless, and want more in your games, I strongly recommend that you try out Medieval 2: Total War. It is truly a masterpiece.

Creative Assembly, great job!
  25. Nov 29, 2011
    Although M2TW was released 5 years ago, it's still an incredible game. Want to conquer all of Europe, North Africa and part of the middle east? Maybe even the New World? All of that is possible. And, let's not forget the epic battles with a large variety of troops.
    Plus, there are also great mods for the game that'll take it to the ultimate step. It's a must buy for every strategy game fan.
  26. Jul 10, 2012
    Medieval II: Total War after 6 years is still a decent 4x strategy game, single player campaign is nice, has a great custom battle mode (which is better than TW-Empire's) & the Gold Edition (Medieval II: Total War + Kingdoms Expansion Pack) can be picked up on amazon/play.com for less than seven pound whats not to like.
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    Awesome game, my favorite of the total war series by far. I cannot wait to see what they do with the next version. Only thing to improve really is the Americas part. 'Nuff said.
  28. Jul 5, 2014
    My friend brought this game over and I was pleasantly surprised (I prefer more hardcore games like Victoria). So I got the Gold edition from the bargain bin. The hotseat multiplayer mode is great fun if you have some friends and a lot of time to kill. This is a good game but not a great game because: it is still too arcade, the highest difficulty level is still way too easy, the AI is quite bad, the battle autoresolve is very unbalanced and the controls can be temperamental. Good mods like Stainless Steel 6.4+ address some of the flaws. 5/10 for base game, 7or8 out of 10 for Stainless Steel mod. Expand
  29. Aug 13, 2012
    This was the second Total War game I played, the first being Rome, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved this game even more. Many improvements were made for this game, such as militia units, fortresses, larger unit queues, and more advanced diplomacy. Like any game, this one has its faults (e.g. bugs, bad AI), but overall it was a very fun game to play. I very much enjoyed the addition of castles and upgradable turrets, which offered a much more secure defense for contested areas, as well as the introduction of traders, which can be very useful for developing strong economies. I'd definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes strategy games, especially fans of the Total War franchise. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2012
    Could have been much better. The AI is broken in too many ways to put in words, and there are problems with units not following orders. There are a crap load of mods though. Nothing like Rome or Shogun 2.
  31. Dec 30, 2012
    A bland and repetitive game where CA offers the same engine, the same mechanics of map painting of Rome Total war with graphics that would be considered inadequate 10 years from the release.
    Is so hard to invest in the artistic department? I felt shame for the developers when I saw the outdated menus, the poorly created icons and protraits, and the freatureless fortresses that were
    supposed to represent my settlements.
    If previous titles offered a smooth battle, in Medieval 2 the units are unresponsive and buggy. The AI is totally absent, they are as incapable of capitalizing on chances as they are of accepting your peace offers when they have only one city left and you are besieging it with a doomstak, like any sane human player would do. The factions are empty, you'll grow tired of spamming always the same units, the mechanics are disfunctional with broken economy, broken upgrade trees, broken unrewarding units and broken religion. There is no geopolitics whatsoever, religion spread and priest production is unrealistic, assassination/sabotage is unrealistic, the game is ahistorical... After some time playing, supposing you have eaten other factions, you'll get bored very easily. Sieging is so damn broken I can't even understand the logic behind upgrading your wall levels.
    The music is great, really, all the rest is crap.
    Paradox is a company able to portray geopolitics in their maps, CA not.
  32. Sep 8, 2013
    Getting slightly out of date now but still a fantastic game. The graphics for its time were groundbreaking and the scope of the game is huge but best of all manageable and keeps you involved. The real time battles are breathtaking and challenging but allow you to develop your skills as the campaigns unfold. Still one of my favourite Total War games and a great look at this fascinating period of history. A benchmark even today in the strategy game genre. Expand
  33. Feb 16, 2013
    My first Total War game. This game is pretty good it actually gives you a feeling that you're actually controlling and keeping peace in your faction and in your settlements. The game's graphics is good and combat is nice but sometimes your units won't listen which is really annoying sometimes. Mods help make the game better and add some extras like better combat and some historic events so that's not a bad thing. Expand
  34. Oct 5, 2013
    I've owned the gold edition of the game for about five years and in the means of medieval warfare, this is by far the best on the market. The entire Total War series is great but this one holds a special place for me. The graphics are superb, the combo of RTS and TBS makes this a real gem. The real time battles along with night/day/weather effects depending on the season is just incredible. My favorite faction is England. I usually knock out Scotland early on and take over the entire British Isles for myself. It's the perfect strategic stronghold.

Each faction has historical units which is a complete blast. The English Longbow and Knights of England are devastating in battle, as so are the French Crossbow and Calvary. You may even get lucky and be asked to allow the Knights Templar to build a facility within one of your towns. These guys are like a tornado on the open battlefield, and they look cool.

Furthermore, you can build up each city, Town or Castle, assassinate people, battle heretics with your priests, marry off your daughters or use them as diplomats, sabotage buildings, and much much more. The game is so in-depth, it's crazy. Even your leaders can take on unique traits; anywhere from being a saint to a drunken lout. For better or worse, this will effect the town(s) which your general governs. At times, you may even discover a cheating wife or husband, or get accused or heresy. There are even historical events which happen over the course of the game which adds even more flavor to the game. Mongol/Timurid invasion, crusades to the Holy Land, exploration to the Americas, and even the Black Death. Some events are down right cruel, such as a general being murdered or killed in a freak storm at sea, but this just adds even more icing on the cake.

I truly don't understand the negative reviews, for there is nothing wrong with the game. I guess you either like it or not. I for one, love it and have nothing negative to say about it. It's a classic masterpiece. Great job Sega! 10/10
  35. Apr 25, 2013
    Simillar to Rome, but prettier, better, bigger and faster with last thing maybe being the most important. Medeval gave players more freedom and more strategic options, also in much greater scale and less slow army building (no 20 turn waiting to gather an elite army if you have infrastructure). Like in Rome, you get pretty various and interesting factions, that force to to choose different strategies and policies of building your empire.

The pope, crusades/jihad and mongol invasions give the game a nice strategic twist, creating some really though choices and problems for player to manage (for example, obvious advantages of capturing Jerusalem are reduced by facing a nearly unstoppable Mongol hordes in that region soon after). It all combines in a really enjoyable experience, even today worth trying if you never played this title before.
  36. Sep 14, 2013
    Easily one of my favourite games ever. I have more than +2000 hours of gameplay since it came out. The AI isn't perfect, but there are plenty of mods for all tastes. Altough it is quite old already, I still play it nowadays, and have great fun, and this game is way better than Empire. Unmodded 7/10, modded 8/10.
  37. Sep 28, 2013
    I gave it a 9 because you can not choose your heir and the cavalry can not destroy the fleeing enemy, it just run along them. other wise it will be a 10
  38. Oct 30, 2013
    this total war game is the one of the best total war games there are aj have all of them medieval 2 total war 2 have jeg playing 350 hours rome 2 is also a good game buy ittttt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 total war ps im am from denmark hehe
  39. Nov 10, 2013
    This is a great game! Compared to Rome: Total War, I'd rate this an 8 or 9, but I'll rate it a 10 to make up for some people rating it a 0. It's obviously not a 0 people, don't rate it that harshly. The only game with a 0 is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Everything else gets at least a 5.
  40. Jan 1, 2014
    The next stage in European history: Middle Ages. Brilliantly dark and bloody, combined with obviously stunning graphic improvements, Medieval II: Total War is an outstanding strategy game that great fans of Activision's Total War don't want to miss at all.
  41. Dec 28, 2013
    This may be the last Total War game I ever play for a serious amount of time, the new ones just don't do it for me, and everything after this one has simply put..... flat out sucked! They removed many of the best features of Total War games like the retraining of units, family tree, the depth and amount of faction specific units. At this point I don't even want to see these guys make a M3TW, because they will just mess it up and probably in the process ruin M2 for me. Expand
  42. Jan 27, 2014
    great game lots of fun to play. I hope they make a Medieval 3 Total War and they don't muck it up like they did with Total War Rome 2 or Empire Total War. I hope that Sega is know done with putting Betas out on steam for at full price like Total War Rome 2 or Battlefield 4
  43. Sep 3, 2014
    I play tons and tons of games many of them great and many of them awful. But this is still one of the best games ever made in the last 10 years.

I wish they would just remaster it. It's the best bang for your money; as long as you don't mind looking at graphics that are nearly a decade old.
  44. Aug 2, 2014
    In case you ask, I believe that the "Total War" games are everything that a strategy game has to be to be considered perfect. Its graphics seem a bit outdated 8 years later, but back then were outstanding. The turn-based campaign is gripping, you are free to follow your strategies to conquer others, by war or diplomacy, and react to some world events. The whole thing with the Papal States and the Crusades or Jihads is very challenging, as are Black Death, Mongols, Timurids and America. There are many features that you 'll certainly enjoy. And, of course, the battles are exceptionally designed. You are free to use your own tactics exploiting strategic points and resources. If you are a fan of strategy games, try it! Expand
  45. Sep 12, 2014
    This is probably one of the strategy games that I enjoyed most.

The game is amazing in all aspects. There is variety of units, it's relatively accurate in historical topics, the campaign map is big and you can play with lots of factions that make the game replayable thousands of times. It's true that sometimes your units disobey in the battlefield, there are some bugs and the diplomacy
    occasionally seems totally random, but this is with Rome the best TW game without doubts. And the experience gains much using the fantastic mods that exist for this game. I hope that CA will allow to do mods like the ones of this game for other TW in the future. Expand

1. A bigger, prettier, and more addictive game that leaves even the series' most recent efforts in the dust...If you think "Rome: Total War's" battles looked good, especially for the number of units on-screen at once (i.e., thousands), Medieval II will blow you away. [Dec 2006, p.28]
  2. Mesmerisingly challenging... If there's another wargame that blends geopolitics with tactics this brilliantly, or portrays war so memorably, then I'm unaware of it... The new king of wargames. [Dec 2006, p.56]
  3. Take the contents and theme from Medieval. Mix them with eye candy from "Rome," add some spice and you have a winner on your hands. [Dec 2006, p.82]