• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Nov 13, 2006
8.9

1. Apr 20, 2012
    I find this game to be the most frustrating game I've played in my entire life. Why? Among others, there's the fact that:
    1. Units tend to disobey your orders ALL THE TIME when in battle
    2. economy totally sucks in this game. it's vague, unpredictable and just plain irritating 3. unit damage doesn't make any sense. it's impossible to tell if your archers are doing any damage in battle, or
    1. Units tend to disobey your orders ALL THE TIME when in battle
    3. unit damage doesn't make any sense. it's impossible to tell if your archers are doing any damage in battle, or that your cavalry is actually DOING SOMETHING. there is no such thing as a total HP meter to see if you are actually winning or not. too annoying!!!
    4. the AI in campaign maps tend to attack you for no freaking reason at all. last time i played, suddenly the Roman Empire just decided to attack me for no reason, along with the Danes and the French. their behavior is beyond idiotic
    5. you will be excommunicated for the most simple things. too frustrating
    6. conquering lands takes FOREVER. it's too much of a struggle to just take a single freaking city
    7. the overal battle system is complete crap. automatically resolving battles is NEVER in your favor
    8. you cannot choose every faction by default. this game wants you to complete the 50 hour campaign of 5 factions before you can play as the race you want. why not just make every faction playable by default??
    9. building stuff is lineair and does not have any depth. you build a tannery to get leather armor. you build a fletchery to get archers. you build a stable to get cavalry. this DOESNT feel like i'm building a city at all. it's lame
    10. the overall repetitive gameplay. conquering other factions requires you to do the same things 50 times over and over again
    i can go on like this for a very long time. please, don't buy this game. it's really bad

1. A bigger, prettier, and more addictive game that leaves even the series' most recent efforts in the dust...If you think "Rome: Total War's" battles looked good, especially for the number of units on-screen at once (i.e., thousands), Medieval II will blow you away. [Dec 2006, p.28]
  2. Mesmerisingly challenging... If there's another wargame that blends geopolitics with tactics this brilliantly, or portrays war so memorably, then I'm unaware of it... The new king of wargames. [Dec 2006, p.56]
  3. Take the contents and theme from Medieval. Mix them with eye candy from "Rome," add some spice and you have a winner on your hands. [Dec 2006, p.82]