6.7

1. Apr 3, 2014
    Clearly pixel retro style nostalgia or denial that they wasted their money kickstarting this game is causing most of the 'professional' game critics to significantly over rate this game. I do not have a hatred for Indie games, I love lots of them but this one is not it.... its graphics quickly become boring and the controls just feel terrible and frustrating. Some of the gameplay of whatClearly pixel retro style nostalgia or denial that they wasted their money kickstarting this game is causing most of the 'professional' game critics to significantly over rate this game. I do not have a hatred for Indie games, I love lots of them but this one is not it.... its graphics quickly become boring and the controls just feel terrible and frustrating. Some of the gameplay of what exactly you're supposed to be doing seemed to be lost on me too.... maybe I got fed up and clicked through some important tip in the barrage of text bubbles? It is free on the PS Plus service at the moment so I cannot really complain but it certainly isn't a 9 out of 10 as some reviewers are trying to suggest. Far from it! Expand
  2. Fuz
    Jul 23, 2014
    Yet another game designed for consoles and gamepad users only.
    Yet another game designed for consoles and gamepad users only.
    Plays terrible on a keyboard because of way too many useless keys required, most of them caused by terrible design. One example... I have to press a key for talking, then have to use enter to move the dialogue forward? Two different keys just for talking? It also get even worse in some menus, basically I need to press X to talk to the character, select the menu item with enter, then press Q for confirmation. What the hell devs?
    Also, the reload mechanic is annoying (guess what? Another totally different key for reloading, used just for that), the combat is underwhelming, farming the same level over and over for materials is boring and customization is kinda pointless.
    Shame, the idea behind it is cool and the art style is pretty good
  3. Apr 3, 2014
    I tried this game after seeing it compared to Metal Slug and expecting good coop fun. It's not. Enemy movements are bad (they just patrols area, not spawn by thousand as you progress like Metal Slug), controls are not responsive and the overall gameplay is just too slow. When you die you have to restart the whole missions and enemies respawned.
  4. Apr 6, 2014
    This should have been put in the early 90's where it belongs. Slow, repetitive and too hard. Lack of clarity as to what exactly you're supposed to be doing most of the time, repetitive enemies you've just killed keep re-appearing while you wander round lost.
  5. Jul 7, 2014
    So yeah this game is hard... There is game where it is hard and fun but this game just feel punishing, really punishing. The customization looked fun but when you get around you discover that it lack depth.
  6. Nov 9, 2014
    Nothing particularly wrong with the game. it is just boring. Going of the same maps over and over again doing MMO style quests to get more powerful weapon bits that don't actually add any real variation to the game. It just feels like a chore rather than fun.

1. Jul 23, 2014
    All the old school charm goes to hell because of the repetitiveness. [06/2014, p.69]
  2. May 2, 2014
    When a game's content goes hand in hand with its form, it's always a pleasure. Moreover, when the old times meet the modern-day, and it works great somehow, we may call it a miracle. Such is Mercenary Kings a shooter.
  3. Apr 25, 2014
    Its high level of difficulty, catchy tunes, and pixelated graphics meld nicely with its emphasis on loot, customization, and online play.