7.9

1. Jan 9, 2014
    This game was awesome especially for the price. I wont go too far into it but i really enjoyed it. Fun game play, great graphics, and something different than all the other games I've been playing lately. 23 bucks for this gem? I'm all over it.
  2. Jan 11, 2014
    Camera automatically steers away from the enemies to show you low-res textures on the wall (even when I manually control camera with my mouse, it still screws me over because returning the camera back onto the enemy takes time in which enemy delivers the blow). Camera has negative acceleration for no reason whatsoever.
    Parrying mechanic completely counter-intuitive. It requires conscious
    Parrying mechanic completely counter-intuitive. It requires conscious effort to wait for attack and then release direction keys, press them again and press attack button to parry, which can't be performed by reflexes and breaks the flow of the game.
    What made me drop this game is difficulty spike at blade wolf and complete lack of checkpoints in that fight on top of that.
    Then, blade mode. Why do I have to use WASD to aim? Well, because with gamepads you can't use right stick and attack at the same time. BUT I'M PLAYING ON PC WITH A KEYBOARD AND MOUSE.
    This game screws over so many important details that it negates anything good that there is about it.
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    Got this game during the sales and it was very cheap. It is good that Kojima and Platinum realized that the PC still is an IMPORTANT and great platform. If they keep up this positive thinking I will buy Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain for PC as well once they release MGS:V for PC. Don't forget that gaming started on Amiga, C64, ZX Spectrum which are all PCs.
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    The graphics is lame, the physics is even lamer. The battle here is not about combos, it's about clicking right and left button a zillion times. So it's lame too. And even movement here is lame, thanks to the automatic obstacle overcoming system. So basically all the gameplay in this game ends up in pressing WSAD and 2 mouse buttons. And the character does everything for you. What's theThe graphics is lame, the physics is even lamer. The battle here is not about combos, it's about clicking right and left button a zillion times. So it's lame too. And even movement here is lame, thanks to the automatic obstacle overcoming system. So basically all the gameplay in this game ends up in pressing WSAD and 2 mouse buttons. And the character does everything for you. What's the point? Where's the gameplay?
    But even that was not the worst part for me. What made me quit this game is that I had to kite mad kicking cow-robots in the very beginning of the first chapter, 5 minutes each. Is it a fighting or what? I always thought that fightings are about doing combos and dodging enemy attacks, not running around enemies and hitting them from time to time for hours. This is not interesting at all!
    The only good thing about this game are cutscenes. They are really cool. But this is a game, not a movie. So IMHO it's not worth wasting time and money.
  5. Jan 15, 2014
    Some of the worst controls I have ever used. Camera is all over the place. Overall Physics suck. Feels like it was made by high school students knowledge. Waste of my money.
  6. Jan 10, 2014
    One of the best games relased in years. You need to play this or you have failed in life, the graphics are fantastic, the gameplay is soooooo very good This is the best spectacle fighter ever relased **** all over stuff like DMC and Darksiders.
  7. Jan 13, 2014
    [UPDATE]
    The always online issue that some people were complaining about has been patched. As for the 24hz issues, I had the same issue but lowering the resolution to the previous 16:9 shouldn't degrade too much of the experience since the game doesn't have much focus on graphics. I'm playing the game on my TV with 1366x768, it's actually not too bad (better than 720p).
    Gameplay: 9

Gameplay: 9
    What can I say... I'm a fan of hack 'n' slash type games. It's more fun than DmC in terms of boss battles and would be similar to God of War. The gameplay is quite fast paced and refreshing for a slasher, a mix of Devil May Cry and God of War, like Castlevania:LoS. I do not recommend playing any hack 'n' slash games with keyboard and mouse. Negative reviewers regarding bad controls shouldn't be playing hack'n'slash games. For some people using the gamepad and still find issues, the right analog stick is used by pushing and pulling in the directions you want the blade to strike. E.G. you want to raise your blade and strike downwards, push the right stick up then let go or bring back down and ready the upper slash position. Using the right stick allows you to slice at more accurate angles and greater speed depending on your thumbs' ability to move.

Story: 6
    It doesn't seem too interesting but the fun in the game lies more in the combat. If you're a fan of hack'n slash type games, then an 'ok' story shouldn't bother you. I haven't finished the game yet and will come back to re-rate the story when I'm done but where I'm at, it doesn't seem that great.
    [UPDATE]
    I've finished it today and I'm sticking to my main point. The story is not so great and the voice acting gets really cheesy the longer you play it and have more conversations with the crew. Albeit, some topics are quite funny like the classic MGS games.

Graphics: 6
    I expect better than this especially when the game was a 23GB download on steam. The only positives I would give this game is the art because I am a nerd in robotics. If robotics or art design doesn't trigger your interests, then it would be a 3-4/10 because the textures look low res and character models aren't detailed. The physics is pretty cool in my opinion; you can run up to most objects and chop them up to pieces with quite high precision (e.g. the giant, fat tree in the first level could be cut up even though it looked like it couldn't). For graphics, I'd blame the xbox 360 constraints during development because if this had been a PS3 focused title, the character models and textures would be many times better as can be seen in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. The addition of particles is a fairly nice addition to the game. I've an Nvidia card so I don't know if the particle effects are tied to physx or not.

I'm currently using a PS3 controller using Motionjoy drivers combo with Better DS3 with the xbox profile setting (google for them if you have a ps3 controller or intend to get one since they are cheap now that PS4 is out). The bluetooth adapter I'm using to play wireless PS3 controller is a generic one that was recommended by other Motionjoy users and devs ($10 including shipping overseas). If you have an xbox360 controller, then it should be easier from what I've heard. Other than those technicalities, God of War III gameplay remains king for me but this game isn't too far off.
  8. Jan 13, 2014
    terrible writing, boring plot, bad characters, all twitch combat no strategy. The graphics are pretty but this is probably one of the worst games I've played recently.
  9. Jan 10, 2014
    This game has poor gameplay and graphics to today's standards, your 12-year-old son might enjoy it though.

The game has 60 FPS limit and maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 as well.
  10. Jan 14, 2014
    I've checked every single software quirk that might be rendering my perfectly working mouse unusable in the game, but no. Camera flies in random directions and even on maximum sensitivity, it barely registers the mouse and choppily turns the camera, with random deceleration and is downright unusable. They port a game to PC, they pretend it works with PC controls, but it doesn't. And if youI've checked every single software quirk that might be rendering my perfectly working mouse unusable in the game, but no. Camera flies in random directions and even on maximum sensitivity, it barely registers the mouse and choppily turns the camera, with random deceleration and is downright unusable. They port a game to PC, they pretend it works with PC controls, but it doesn't. And if you can't even play a game, there is no need to talk about anything else and it gets a 0. I don't plan to wait around until they decide to throw in a patch for something as basic as this, it's pure insolence Expand
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    Oh and just a thing, for all you people complaining about the robodog difficulty spike, YOU SUCK LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE GAME FOR **** SAKE. Please excuse that, but don't give it a 0 because you are so horribly bad that you can't even beat an easy boss on easy.
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    THIS SUCKS ON SO MANY LEVELS IT HURTS MY FEELINGS[

Forget Metal Gear. I started this game with an open mind, knowing it wasn't the tactical game other MGs are, but I immediately felt a disturbance in the force. Let's begin... PC PORT When the game opened, a window greeted me. "Oh, it must be 1999," I thought, "maybe I opened my SNES emulator!". Then I realized it was my latest
    THIS SUCKS ON SO MANY LEVELS IT HURTS MY FEELINGS[

PC PORT
    Then I realized it was my latest purchase, and I hurried to the customize menu.
    That's when things began to go wrong.
    It doesn't feature the resolution I play with, which is 1920x1200, so I had to play a 1920x1080 windowed. There are indie games that are more flexible than this one.
    In pain and hurt by this, I start the game.

FIRST BLOOD
    After a slow tutorial you learn the game has basically two buttons you must smash to go ahead, plus an "activate for effortless movements" button where you don't have to do **** to go over obstacles and a "stop time and cut sh*t" button that lets you sushi up your enemies.
    I was thinking "This game f-ing plays itself". But I didn't know it got worse.

I started a mission and - behold! - smashing buttons on my controller got the job done.
    I tried to parry, but it was the same key as the hit button. I have a xBox controller: I have 10 keys I can press and you force me to use the same button for hitting and parrying. Nice job! I don't feel like an idiot at all, having to use just a couple of buttons to play the game.

THE F- YOU CAMERA
    The camera earned its own section. You can rotate it BUT IT ALSO FOLLOWS YOU.
    That means that if you are trying to fight, let's say, a boss that moves fast, you may center the camera on him while you dodge his attacks just to see it move away, pointing to you.
    It doesn't care if you need to know where your deadly enemy is, why would you?

Dark Souls has been out for so much time one would hope people learned how to do a decent third person action game.

LEVEL DESIGN
    The level design is plain. Just plain. Follow the road, don't explore too much (or we will put an invisible wall, just to remind 2014 is here but nothing changed, mofo), just go straight ahead.
    Really nothing to say here.

CUTSCENES
    When you realize how many cutscenes there are just in the first hour of game you'll this game plays itself.
    That's the pattern: go ahead, kill a couple of minions, now kill a bigger one, CUTSCENE, walk 20 meters, CUTSCENE, ninjarun 40 meters, hit a guy, CUTSCENE.
    It's worse than the other Metal Gear games. Kojima, write a movie already!

THIS GAME PLAYS ITSELF
    Under 3 combat buttons - check!
    "Press me to do everything while chasing enemies" button - check!
    Refill life when killing even stupid minion - check!

And just when you think it can't get worse, someone over your codec goes "Yo Raiden, did you know you can SCAN THE AREA AND KNOW WHERE ENEMIES ARE, EVEN BEHIND WALLS? AND DID YOU KNOW THAT SCAN REVEALS WHAT YOU CAN CUT?" and just surprises you. The game just stopped being a game and started being a... don't know. I don't really know.

IS THERE ANYTHING GOOD?
    The graphics are great, sounds are great as well.

CONCLUSION
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I bought it because I wanted to let Kojima & Co. know there is a market for pc games, and because I'm a Metal Gear **** But if I could travel back in time, instead of killing Hitler or warn my young self about that motorbike accident that would shatter my arm I would slap myself every time I was thinking about buying it.

Seriously guys, go do drugs instead, it's a more intelligent choice.
  13. Jan 16, 2014
    People complaining about this severing ties with the MGS serious don't understand that this was the point of the game entirely. This is giving a new character a new world to play in and it is not a bad thing. It has some of the best hack and slash gameplay I have seen to date. It feels so amazing to unleash a devastating combo on your enemy and then slow down time to slice them into tinyPeople complaining about this severing ties with the MGS serious don't understand that this was the point of the game entirely. This is giving a new character a new world to play in and it is not a bad thing. It has some of the best hack and slash gameplay I have seen to date. It feels so amazing to unleash a devastating combo on your enemy and then slow down time to slice them into tiny little pieces. I am not joking here, you can cut them up into hundreds of pieces, it is amazing.

The writing is a little cheesy, and there is some sketchy voice acting, but overall this was an AMAZING game. The PC version also has 2 short DLC stories, one where you get to actually play as one of the boss characters. Seeing how they eventually came into play and ended up being on the wrong side. The game is amazing.
  14. Jan 10, 2014
    This is a good pc port. But first, I have to complaint about the **** System Requirement of this game. It is well optimized, and you just need a PC with half of that System Requirement to run this game even on max. Second, the cutscenes are those annoying video clips again, low pixel, colors look like 16bit, I wish they could done this better (Like Resident 5, DMC or Tomb Raider), usingThis is a good pc port. But first, I have to complaint about the **** System Requirement of this game. It is well optimized, and you just need a PC with half of that System Requirement to run this game even on max. Second, the cutscenes are those annoying video clips again, low pixel, colors look like 16bit, I wish they could done this better (Like Resident 5, DMC or Tomb Raider), using the engine graphic cutscene. Third, the Low Res Texture really bug me, worse than the console (hope it will have a HD texture patch). And that is all i can complaint about this port. Now for the good. As I said it's well optimized with fully supported Mouse and Keyboard, hell yeah! The story is good, the cutscenes are very interesting, the gameplay is Amazing and the soundtrack is fantastic. Overall a good port, worth buying. P/s: Your PC will not find any action game like this for many more years. Expand
  15. Jan 12, 2014
    This game has nothing to do with previous "Metal Gear Solid" series, okay? It's "Metal Gear Rising". If you want something different, just stop whining and play something different, don't be a jerk. It's hack and slash ("DmC" like) type of the game. Period.

At first I must say that the port is more than great, it's polished to the very end and it's a real pleasure. Game graphics are more then enough for today standards and looks really fantastic to me (tons of particles and some really cool flashes and etc. effects). Gameplay is mostly fast and accurate, where you can cut things just like in "Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers" game and the whole game based on these cuts, which says about great game design for itself. It also has really great, natural animations as well (motion capture ftw). The story looks pretty simple (super hero saves the world from bad guys), but it also has its moments, like: really-really great unique characters, philosophy things, different mood and some really nice little jokes from time to time. Controls are okay as well, but if you're going to argue because of using keyboard and mouse, you're an idiot. Games like these should be played using gamepads only, where keyboard and mouse just some poor alternative for people who don't own any controllers. Enemies are different, but some of them really overpowered, so it makes hard to defeat them even on "Easy" difficulty (which also has auto-parry system, btw, which is great for people who use keyboard and mouse to play this game). I beat the game on "Hard", including bonus missions and I must say it was more then fair enough. The game also has "Devil May Cry" like score system, where the highest you get is "S" score (at least I couldn't get higher than that). Tons of bonuses awaits you (also some fun eastereggs from developers, I also found some really cool hidden secret places in game where additional enemies awaits you) if you're a that type of player, who digs through all the game to achieve everything, completely. Fighting is simple and pure fun, there's some space for really amazing combos. To players who say there's no any, check "Help" option in game, also buy all upgrades and then try "Mortal Kombat" like moves (back, forward, button; clockwise, button; etc), check firstly, then say ****

Online security system was a bad move, but you must understand that's not the fault of game developers or publishers, it's a fault of hackers and pirates, so stop whining, it has nothing to do with the game itself, kids.

The game is made with a soul and definitely a work of some real professionals. I beat the game on a single breath and now I'm doing that again and probably going to ride it one more time after that, that's how awesome it is. Music is just freaking amazing and fits the game really nice (thank God I bought some really expensive headphones a while ago and can hear it all exactly as it should be heard).

Also I can't believe that this game is so freaking cheap. I think it's a steal.

Played on maxed out settings using:
    LG 27" (60Hz)
    1920x1080
    NVIDIA GTX 660
    Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)

Not a single lag, bug or anything, such a smooth riding here. ("DmC" like) game. Period.
    I think I'm done with my opinion here.

Goodluck, Reapers!

P.S. English language isn't my native.
  16. Jan 10, 2014
    This game is kickass just as it was on the xbox 360, The graphics have there chance to shine on PC hardware finally and it is absolutely amazing, pretty much nothing has changed between this version and the console version except it has a huge graphics boost and 60fps, but my only complaint is that you always have to be online to play it, but that was solved by going to good ol piratebayThis game is kickass just as it was on the xbox 360, The graphics have there chance to shine on PC hardware finally and it is absolutely amazing, pretty much nothing has changed between this version and the console version except it has a huge graphics boost and 60fps, but my only complaint is that you always have to be online to play it, but that was solved by going to good ol piratebay and downloading a crack and viola no internet connection needed.. Konami better not go the way that EA has or i might never buy another game from them if this is the trend they think will solve internet piracy. overall its a great game and i love the metal gear series Expand
  17. Jan 9, 2014
    No fullscreen 1080p support on my Bravia TV... I get a black screen. On my monitor I get picture, but it's got thick black borders around the whole screen. Is this why pre-orders were cheaper? Beta discount?
  18. Jan 12, 2014
    I will give the game a 2 because the graphics are very good, as far as having anything to do with metal gear as I recall it , it surely doesnt. This game is nothing more than devil may cry right down to the backstreet boy looking character with cyborgs instead of demons, just another linear run through hack and slash pos, at least DMC had way cooler upgrades and skills. There is no stealthI will give the game a 2 because the graphics are very good, as far as having anything to do with metal gear as I recall it , it surely doesnt. This game is nothing more than devil may cry right down to the backstreet boy looking character with cyborgs instead of demons, just another linear run through hack and slash pos, at least DMC had way cooler upgrades and skills. There is no stealth play at all, you are in approx 2025 ad running about with a sword hack and slashing cyborgs, lol downright pathetic and a slap in the face to the name metal gear, in short if you like games like devil may cry (not that it was a bad game itself) you may like this game, if you are a fan of the metal gear series and the stealth killing, planning, and having to think to play a game, look elsewhere this is not that game anymore, dumbed down to the core. Expand
  19. Jan 14, 2014
    Great game but a bit short and way better from the newest Devil May Cry which was a big disappointment. i liked the big boss fights and some characters were interesting also the music in the game is great. I hope more Metal Gear games come to PC
  20. Jan 14, 2014
    About the gameplay, the game is unsurprisingly worse than Platinum game's Bayonetta, but it's still one of the best action games of this generation. A bit short (~7 hours), and there's not a lot of room for character personalization. Raiden only has two weapons with full sets of combos, and another two that only have a couple of 1-hit attacks that are not particularly useful. The camera isAbout the gameplay, the game is unsurprisingly worse than Platinum game's Bayonetta, but it's still one of the best action games of this generation. A bit short (~7 hours), and there's not a lot of room for character personalization. Raiden only has two weapons with full sets of combos, and another two that only have a couple of 1-hit attacks that are not particularly useful. The camera is also a bit annoying and difficult to control, which is desperate in an action game, and the "katana mode" is impossible to perform with a keyboard and a mouse. The "normal" difficulty level is ridiculously easy, with the "hard" level being a bit more of a challenge. The "very hard" mode unlocked when finishing the first playtrough, is the one I really enjoyed. Still with all those errors, the sense of playing like a samurai is very well captured.

About the graphics and music, I only have to say that they aren't particularly bright. The story is OK, and the ending does not disappoint, but Raiden is not very well written, and you will find him going from being too superficial, to pedantically deep and very overacted. Other characters of the story, like Sam Rodrigues, are much better handled.

This is a good buy if it is at a reduced price.
  21. Jan 14, 2014
    Excelent GAme!!!Excelent GAme!!!
    Excelent GAme!!!
    Excelent GAme!!!Excelent GAme!!!Excelent GAme!!!
  22. Feb 1, 2014
    Have you ever wanted to chop up a giant robot with your sword?

Well, that will have to wait until you've taken its health down to a preset amount. After that you can deliver two or three cuts and the affected body part is destroyed for good. Every other cut after that is more or less for your own sadistic enjoyment. Revengeance is all about wanting to do something outrageous and
    Have you ever wanted to chop up a giant robot with your sword?

Revengeance is all about wanting to do something outrageous and being consistently slapped on the wrist. You can't do great damage until you have blocked, dodged and jumped your way through a preset sequence of attacks from the enemy that will severely hurt you unless you block/dodge/jump. And if you've been a good dog you'll be allowed to engage in the iconic Blade Mode™. For a few seconds.

Of course, that only applies to bosses. Slicing through the lesser enemies is quite easy. Slicing a VIP in two before you have the chance to cut off the Oh So Important Left Hand™ is quite easy too. Can't cut that hand off a corpse, obviously.

Quite an enjoyable grindfest that keeps reminding you that you are merely a cyborg, not an Enemy Cyborg™
  23. Jan 11, 2014
    $30 for a game that was released as a PS3 AAA title? Gimme!
    Yes, finally a Metal Gear title makes it to PC again.
    Okay, so the game reeks of console port, from the rather ugly textures to the simplified level design, but what you're really paying for is the combat. Fun! The plot is pretty immature and the voice acting is not the best, but there is something so charming about these
    $30 for a game that was released as a PS3 AAA title? Gimme!
    Yes, finally a Metal Gear title makes it to PC again.

The plot is pretty immature and the voice acting is not the best, but there is something so charming about these type of Japanese games that they can get away with it.
    Oh, and unlike other games, when you hack and slash, this game really means it! You literally cut your enemies to pieces! In fact, is an integral part of combat. A novel and entertaining game mechanic.

If this game was $60-$70, I would have scored this a 7 or 8, as it is at $30, it is an absolute bargain!
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    A slow paced gameplay for a Beat-Them-All, not a buy.

A slow paced gameplay for a Beat-Them-All, not a buy.

I felt while playing that the developper were unhappy to kill MGS style, and where going to give player what they actually enjoy in a game that is not what they were use to. I played on Pc with an Xbox controller, and had actually issue with it right at the start, This game has been port but not intended to feel like a beat them all to met.

Fighting has actually been the first issue, you are not playing an agile character, so you need to be sure of what you intend to do in any situation because there's not much movement option you can use to move your ass out of a bad situation.

Camera has been the second one, the camera is actually too close of your character which will make you loose him in close space and make you unable to look around you when you switch to blade mode. Obligation for you to use target mode to set this to a better level.

To complete, this game has some nice feature and some great idea had been re-use from MGS but the gameplay really put this game way down in my list of favorite beat-them-all, Even if the game is affordable, really feel like a bad one.... Can't exit while on Title Screen... Really !?
  25. Jan 20, 2014
    the MGR series is one of my favorites and this one just puts it at #1. always taking a unique angle on the morality of war and asking us to check ourselves on that front in real life. gameplay and combat is unbelievable, as are the graphics. great game.
  26. Jan 14, 2014
    This game is over the top and amazing. Plot centers on the morality of war, which is in line with the other games in the Metal Gear series, but it is almost pure action throughout, like most of Platinum's games. The DRM issue was a day one bug that has since been fixed, so ignore the crybabies. This game is great at any price, but sub $30 is just too good to pass up.
  27. Jan 21, 2014
    So the game deviates from the MGS gameplay style that we know and love, that said, it's one of the best hack & slash games i've ever played, Raiden is now an exoskeleton ninja that could pick up and fling metal gears around, so does he really need to sneak around? besides the game's been out on consoles for a while, i'm sure all of you had some idea of what the game was before you investedSo the game deviates from the MGS gameplay style that we know and love, that said, it's one of the best hack & slash games i've ever played, Raiden is now an exoskeleton ninja that could pick up and fling metal gears around, so does he really need to sneak around? besides the game's been out on consoles for a while, i'm sure all of you had some idea of what the game was before you invested in to it

They've given us PC players a good well optimised port, we don't get many games like this, so quit complaining and enjoy the game, or would you rather not have it released at all?
  28. Jan 17, 2014
    An over-the-top hack and slash game that makes a name for itself in the ever loving Metal Gear franchise. What Metal Gear Rising does is simple, "clean" fun. The combat never gets dull and there are notable challenges in the game. Outside of the campaign, the various difficulty modes, and the VR missions, I wish there was a bit more.

As far as a PC port goes, especially for an action

As far as a PC port goes, especially for an action game PC port, MGR is really well-made. Visuals are good, it's smooth, the controls are slick, and doesn't demand much of anything. I recommend this game for anyone who wants to start off in the hack n' slash, beat 'em up, action genre. But if you want to get into the Metal Gear series, I recommend starting off with the original Metal Gear Solid series.
  29. Jan 14, 2014
    wow this game is amazing..the best hack n slash game of 2014 till now...super fast pace action,amazing boss fights and our fav raiden..i never hoped that platinum games can churn out such a good pc port of this game..it runs smooth on my pc keeping everything on ultra..great job PG
  30. Jan 15, 2014
    Anyone who likes fast paced over the top action shouldn't miss out on this game.
    Gameplay: really smooth and lot of fun, 10/10
    Graphics: MGR is a really pretty game, 9/10
    Sound: the music is fantastic and makes the fights about 300% more awesome, 10/10
    Plot: I haven't finished the game yet, but so far it's not that bad

1. May 11, 2014
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is great looking, great playing action explosion, and the PC version is the best version. [Feb 2014]
    Raiden reaps what the action filled gameplay sows and if it wasn't for the clunky camera and lackluster plot, there would be nothing to complain about. [Issue #239]
  3. Mar 5, 2014
    It might be unpolished, but it still is a gem among slashers, especially on a platform that lacks this kind of game. [03/2014, p.72]