Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance PC

6.7

1. StefanP.
    Sep 25, 2003
    I just finished it 10 minutes ago . And I'm still shaked by the experience ! Extremely deep and strong story . And it leaves you with something to think of . Greate existential ideas to put in a new modern way of thinking. The story is close to Deus Ex . The controls however were a little bit tricky but once you rearrange them to your taste everything is OK !
  2. Justhadtorate
    Jul 27, 2003
    The game is great!! :) But since u almowst hav to hav a gamepad thats 100% like the PS2 gamepad its kinduva cheap. :'( i am bying a new one coz of that, the one i have now dosent have all the knobs and lacks the r2 l2 buttons thats almowst a must!!! and u cant change the gamepad controls either and thats one more reason i need a new gamepad!!! i had some problems with the sound first The game is great!! :) But since u almowst hav to hav a gamepad thats 100% like the PS2 gamepad its kinduva cheap. :'( i am bying a new one coz of that, the one i have now dosent have all the knobs and lacks the r2 l2 buttons thats almowst a must!!! and u cant change the gamepad controls either and thats one more reason i need a new gamepad!!! i had some problems with the sound first time i completed the game, but i know how to fix it now so the game works just great :)))) I love it!! the graphics and the story is great!!! i am gona buy *Metal gear:solid* for PC to :D just gotta have it!!! its a great game but it is a slappy port afterall :'( BTW soon i have the new gameapd :D cant wait!! Expand
  3. ErnieC.
    Apr 1, 2003
    This game is great.
  4. SzakalS.
    Apr 20, 2003
    To jest najlepsza gra w jak¹ gra³em. Jest najlepsza nie tylko pod wzglêdem grafiki i szegó³ów, ale tak¿e trzymajacej do samego koñca fabu³y. :)))
  5. FulvioC.
    May 9, 2003
    I first started playing the Metal Gear series back when Metal Gear Solid came out for the PSX. I fell in love with the game straight away, just because it felt as if I was watching and playing a movie at the same time. The cinematics, music and sound is absolutely breathtaking, not to mention the flawless techniques you can use to infiltrate enemy fire and the ammount of awesome weapons I first started playing the Metal Gear series back when Metal Gear Solid came out for the PSX. I fell in love with the game straight away, just because it felt as if I was watching and playing a movie at the same time. The cinematics, music and sound is absolutely breathtaking, not to mention the flawless techniques you can use to infiltrate enemy fire and the ammount of awesome weapons you can use! I have an AMD Athlon XP 2400 (2.4Ghz) with 512mb RAM and a GeForce 4 MX440 (64mb RAM) and it works fine! I don't why so many of you guys are having problems. I haven't found any bugs yet, and I won't lie but the port could've been done a whole lot better. I mean afterall there is an option to turn Vibration ON or OFF (hehe). Anyway, overall the game is one of the best games i've ever played in my life. Once I start playing Splinter Cell i'll compare it, but until then. I love the Metal Gear series and Hideo Kojima rules! Also, did you guys know that Harry Gregson-Williams did the music for the game? If you don't know who Harry Gregson-Williams is.. well.. he's the musician who did the music for movies like Spy Game with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt and Armageddon with Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck. Anyway guys! cya! Expand
  6. IriquoisP.
    Mar 8, 2003
    Definitely looking forward to it.
  7. Mr.Zed
    Apr 14, 2003
    This game is wonderful. I play it all my free time. But i don't like factor part it's another part of game i like Solid Snake. Raiden is too good but Snake is Snake and got it Famous STORY. It's Ever played game on the world and the BEST but DOOM III and QUAKE 4. Wel we can be wonder but Metal Gear is best played game of the Year 2003.
  8. MatthewM.
    Apr 20, 2003
    I bought this for the PC, and it works very well. However they've screwed up on a few cinematics. I cant do the Plant Episode because of it, it freezes in a codec sequence (Also crashed in 2 other cutscenes). Dunno if it happens to everyone, but it happens to me. Other than that its a very good game with plenty of VR missions and specials to keep you amused.
  9. Kabuto
    Apr 26, 2003
    Nice game...with nice story the graphics is good, well not good enough as splinter cell though. I run the game with amd 1700+, ram 256+128, win xp. geforce 4mx, well i think there's no problem. Well for the owner of radeon, you should update driver, radeon still have problem with these stupid driver. I think they make driver with pure assembly(whew... how long the source code could Nice game...with nice story the graphics is good, well not good enough as splinter cell though. I run the game with amd 1700+, ram 256+128, win xp. geforce 4mx, well i think there's no problem. Well for the owner of radeon, you should update driver, radeon still have problem with these stupid driver. I think they make driver with pure assembly(whew... how long the source code could be??) so still many bugs and problems. Or you can make your own driver, can't you?? ;(. well, anyway this game is great. But it takes so many spaces 7.7GB!!! Expand
  10. Rich//o-o\\
    Jun 20, 2003
    It Kicks Ass!!!!!!!!
  11. BradleyE.
    Jun 7, 2003
    This game has been the best game i have ever played because it is action packed and full with adventures.
  12. Sherman
    Jul 7, 2003
    This game is super :) i have ati radeon 9700 and new drivers and all is ok. Only films sometimes slowing hmm...
  13. TravisD.
    Aug 8, 2003
    A great game, there needs to be a movie.
  14. ORZAS!!!ONE
    Mar 22, 2003
    THIS IS A BEST GAME EVER THAT I HAVE PLAY IF SOMVONE GETSS IT TEL ME TO ME @MAIL I BECK JOU THEN I THIL GIWE JOU ALL EDVISE JU NID RITE NOW I AM IN LITHUANIA SO PLIS SEND ME AN @ PLEAZ !!!!!!!!!
  15. IzZo
    Mar 23, 2003
    Man, Played da 1st part, Game story is kool, only game i can play a 1000 times and not get bored! when is it coming to PC?! it says 18 march but i have'nt heard squat about it!(Had to give it a 10 even tho i didnt play it! shows u how good this game is) :)
  16. The
    May 10, 2003
    This game would be perfect if it were actually optimized for PC. You'll have to deal with frame rate and control problems, but everything else is superb.
  17. DavidH.
    Apr 14, 2003
    I could only play MGS2 in my friends house, as I do not have a PS2. But now at last I can play it on my PC. I cant wait to get it : ).
  18. LAWHOCK
    Apr 18, 2003
    GOOD !!!
  19. ScottM.
    Apr 23, 2003
    On the PS2, this was an amazing game, with a very touching story line and excellent graphics. However, today, the game does look a tad dated (in comparison to UT2003 or DOOM III), but holds its own against the slightly dodgy Splinter Cell. I think that if you have a PC with 1.3 GHZ onwards, and a Geforce 4 Ti card (4200 onwards) then you sould never really have a problem. Defrag your On the PS2, this was an amazing game, with a very touching story line and excellent graphics. However, today, the game does look a tad dated (in comparison to UT2003 or DOOM III), but holds its own against the slightly dodgy Splinter Cell. I think that if you have a PC with 1.3 GHZ onwards, and a Geforce 4 Ti card (4200 onwards) then you sould never really have a problem. Defrag your harddrive as well, and nothing should go wrong. The poor porting isn't really the problem , its just thew fact that they did make it especially for NVidia Cards! (Also, make sure you processor is either an AMD Athlon XP or a Pentium 4, otherwise the graphics could easily suffer no matter what graphics card you have) Expand
  20. Agent45SamFisherHussein
    Apr 23, 2003
    i have a geforce2 gts/pro Leadtek Vcard a 1.9Ghz and A nice MotherBoard w/ 384 DDr2100 Memory... what should i upgrade to play this game? should i bouight a New VCARD? my MGS2 is kind a jerky... what should i replace in my Computer hardware to run this Great GAme?! please e-mail me at mark_ace10@yahoo.com or mark@acewebsite.zzn.com thanks!
  21. ChrisJ.
    May 24, 2003
    The VR Missions are just outstanding and the Snake Tales rule!
  22. Brown
    Jun 24, 2003
    It is good.
  23. FacuL.
    Aug 23, 2003
    This game rocks.. Its my favourite game, the best game ever!!
  24. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Carries over all of the mechanics of the previous installment and uses them in well
    + Expands on the narrative in surprising but engaging ways + Plays off of the tropes of the previous game from top to bottom in compelling ways + An epic ending with some intellectual weight and aesthetic commentary ? Many fans dislike the new protagonist, but it seems the game doesn't really
    Tier 2
    + Expands on the narrative in surprising but engaging ways
    + An epic ending with some intellectual weight and aesthetic commentary
    ? Many fans dislike the new protagonist, but it seems the game doesn't really want the player to like him anyways
    - Again, features some questionable design, with particular problems arising in the first-person shooting system
    - Ridiculously frustrating final boss battles

1. Could have been ported over a lot more gracefully. Yet this is such an unusual, intriguing, and shocking game that despite the rough translation, it still makes for a one-of-a-kind experience on the PC.
  2. A great "console" game, but I'm not convinced the PC is the proper system to be playing it on.
    For console owners, it's simply not worth the bucks to upgrade your PC to play this game -- Enjoy it on your console. On the other hand, if you've got the hardware for it (including a gamepad) and don't own a console, I'd recommend getting your hands on this game in an instant.