Metro 2033 PC

8.1

1. PabloN
    Mar 24, 2010
    Easily one of the best games of the year. HORRIBLY under-rated! A 58 from 1UP? Because of some minor issues..... This game is the most atmospheric and immersive shooter I have ever played. Maybe the most atmospheric game, period. This is like another Bioshock or actually more like Half-Life 2 to me, I could see myself playing through this game multiple times. It is a masterpiece really, Easily one of the best games of the year. HORRIBLY under-rated! A 58 from 1UP? Because of some minor issues..... This game is the most atmospheric and immersive shooter I have ever played. Maybe the most atmospheric game, period. This is like another Bioshock or actually more like Half-Life 2 to me, I could see myself playing through this game multiple times. It is a masterpiece really, it is a game about atmosphere and story and I personally found no issues with the ballistics. Shooting was fun, the game is challenging, and has a very, very good story (based of the book of the same name.) Best graphics of any game released. Yes, better than Crysis, in it's full glory with DX11 it looks spectacular. The game just has this authentic, realistic feeling and the graphics just add a whole nother layer onto the game. I REALLY felt like I was there in this world, extremely compelling. Must play! 10/10 Will be a cult-hit, possible the most under-rated game of the year. Expand
  2. MattT
    Mar 17, 2010
    I am REALLY enjoying this game. I preordered it on Steam because I ran into an extra $50 and figured why the hell not...Eastern European developers are really coming into their own, should be good. I was right. A lot of people are probably going to complain about it's lack of multiplayer or the length of its campaign. I have no idea how long the campaign is yet, so I can't I am REALLY enjoying this game. I preordered it on Steam because I ran into an extra $50 and figured why the hell not...Eastern European developers are really coming into their own, should be good. I was right. A lot of people are probably going to complain about it's lack of multiplayer or the length of its campaign. I have no idea how long the campaign is yet, so I can't comment on that. Personally, I think people are way too obsessed with the idea that every game must have multiplayer and it must have a 50-hour campaign. Well, no, they don't. If a developer is going to take a reasonable amount of time to make a game, they only have so much time and energy to put into all the various aspects of the game. In this case, it may be that 4A has forgone multiplayer and an epic story length to really zero in on the immersion factor. The grapnics in this game are breath-taking. Any fans of Shadow of Chernobyl will no doubt notice similarities, especially when it comes to the really atmospheric indoor/underground parts of the game. The lighting is dramatic, the character modeling, animation and voice acting so far seems superb. You will want to continue playing this game not because you want to unlock multiplayer items or get stupid achievements (though it does have them), but because you'll find yourself wanting to know what happens next! What a strange idea, huh? Expand
  3. AnthonyE.
    Apr 1, 2010
    I really can't understand all these positive reviews. Yes, Metro 2033 looks beautiful, but go beyond that and you find a decidedly poor first-person shooter. The levels are laughably linear, with almost zero chance for exploration; the enemy AI is utterly braindead; the weapons are rubbish; and all the voices sound the same. On top of that, the level of interactivity is terrible: I really can't understand all these positive reviews. Yes, Metro 2033 looks beautiful, but go beyond that and you find a decidedly poor first-person shooter. The levels are laughably linear, with almost zero chance for exploration; the enemy AI is utterly braindead; the weapons are rubbish; and all the voices sound the same. On top of that, the level of interactivity is terrible: very few things can be opened or searched, and the majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Probably the worst thing about Metro 2033, though, is that it's not in the slightest bit optimised. Even at lowest settings, on a decent computer, certain parts of the game are jerky to the point of distraction. As for its atmosphere and narrative, the story is boring and the only thing that makes it feel tense is the heavy breathing sound you hear when you put on your gas mask. That's pretty much all you're paying for, then - a sound effect. Expand
  4. Nov 13, 2011
    The Good: The game is beautiful, the environments are detailed and realistic, the storyline is interesting, and the voice actors sell it well. The game does a great job of immersing you in the world and making you feel like a part of it. That is, until you get to the combat.

The Bad: The game chews up GPUs on the higher settings, and has some graphical tearing on mid-level systems. The game is very hard, even on normal difficulty. This wouldn't normally be a complaint, as most modern FPS games are not very challenging. I actually like seeing a game that presents a challenge. The problem here is that it is too hard due to a lack of realism. First, your enemies can take a lot of punishment. Too much in fact. I shot a guy in the head point-blank with the shotgun three times, and then he turned around and killed me. I get that the developers wanted you to shoot somewhere else, because they put a helmet on him. But helmet or no helmet, if you take a 12-guage to the face you're not going to shrug it off like someone spit on you. Second, all of the enemies you fight are like navy seals on crack. They have extremely good accuracy at range, and can even hit you with the shotgun from 40 yards off (if you try to shoot someone with the shotgun from more than 2 feet away they won't take any damage). They also have a nasty habit of being able to shoot you through boxes and cover, while your guns cannot pierce cover. Third, they always know where you are, and they will surround you and wait for you to come out. If one see's you, they all have a homing beacon for where you are until you die. There are several situations in the game where you have no opportunity to flank your enemies, and the only way through is straight ahead. You better hope you have grenades if you find yourself in this situation, otherwise you're probably dead, because the navy seals don't miss. Another huge flaw unrelated to combat, is that the game chooses questionable times to save checkpoints for you. At one point I had to restart a level, when the game chose to save a checkpoint for me when I was at no health and bullets were heading toward me. Load, die instantly, repeat. The game is very appealing for many reasons. I tried really hard to like it. However, the aforementioned flaws make it unplayable. 4/10 for good graphics, good story, good acting, and poor gameplay.
  5. May 26, 2013
    Metro 2033 more than makes up for its linear gameplay by making the world extremely rich and detailed. The sounds and sights of the tunnels and the post apocalyptic surface world are amazingly interesting and beautiful. Stepping out of the metro and into the open world for the first time is stunning. Also, the survival horror feeling is strong, light mechanics and the gas mask fogging upMetro 2033 more than makes up for its linear gameplay by making the world extremely rich and detailed. The sounds and sights of the tunnels and the post apocalyptic surface world are amazingly interesting and beautiful. Stepping out of the metro and into the open world for the first time is stunning. Also, the survival horror feeling is strong, light mechanics and the gas mask fogging up on you adds a very realistic edge.
    Despite its excellent delivery, I had a few minor issues with the game. The greatest one being mouse issues. When I make a perfect circle on my mousepad with my mouse, my aim in game is more of a very wide oval. This irritated me very badly, and I was forced to change settings in my Razer software to compensate. Second, the combat was rather simplistic, especially against the human AI. Could have been better is all.
    Overall, game loses 2 points from a perfect score for irritating mouse issues I could not change in game, and a combat system that could have been spiced up.
  6. Jul 16, 2012
    Other than being a tad to the short side, Metro 2033 is a very fun game. It's a lot like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but has a better feel to the controls, and gameplay is a lot more solid. The graphics (depending on your configuration) can range from average current graphics to beautiful Crysis-like graphics. I got this on sale from Steam for $5, but it's easily worth $20.
  7. Jan 27, 2013
    If you are at all a fan of games like Half Life 2 or Bioshock, I need you to stop what you are doing, go to the nearest Wal-Mart, sift through the Bargain bin, and find this Dirt-Cheap.

You will not regret it.
  8. Feb 7, 2013
    Fantastic post apocolyptic experiance with horror and stealth aspects plunging you deep into a underground world with homely warmth and a above ground world that hates you
  9. Mar 20, 2012
    Blown. My. Mind!!

Blown. My. Mind!!

Dark Tone, a great story tighter than a chestnut corset, deep immersion, crushing loneliness - a beautiful story and campaign crafted wonderfully and excecuted expertly. Having said that, one must always control their **** shooting libido when you play such a good game. For instance if you intend to get this game for PC (which I whole-heartedly recommend): get a powerful PC - this game maxed out will eat your GPU for breakfast. I have a powerful gaming laptop built by the proud albeit sloppy hands of the caring folk of PCSpecialists, sporting a gtx580m and I've had to put on a significant over-clock to get this game to run properly. Also stealth is pretty buggy as well, along with a lot of elements in the game. But hey these are easy to overlook with an otherwise functional game which does such a great job of pulling you into its story and atmosphere. Congrats to you, 4A!!
  10. Apr 21, 2012
    Do you love scary games ? Then this is a damn good one, this game is what i call a jewel of the games, it has excellent graphics and animations, it even have the NVDIA PhysX, also all the location will have a great atmosphere which will make you feel like being there yourself, sounds is very good, i just got in mind the part of the city, with the winds and rest of effect, let's hope theDo you love scary games ? Then this is a damn good one, this game is what i call a jewel of the games, it has excellent graphics and animations, it even have the NVDIA PhysX, also all the location will have a great atmosphere which will make you feel like being there yourself, sounds is very good, i just got in mind the part of the city, with the winds and rest of effect, let's hope the sequel of this game will be as great as this, or even more, if it will ever come out. Expand
  11. Apr 30, 2012
    A fantastic effort by this studio to deliver something a little different. Graphically stunning 2 years after release. Very linear but that's not a bad thing. It tells a story and your along for the ride. Weapons have poor mechanics in what seems a deliberate effort to add realism, as parts have been scavenged after a hard life underground. The voice acting is fine and the atmosphere isA fantastic effort by this studio to deliver something a little different. Graphically stunning 2 years after release. Very linear but that's not a bad thing. It tells a story and your along for the ride. Weapons have poor mechanics in what seems a deliberate effort to add realism, as parts have been scavenged after a hard life underground. The voice acting is fine and the atmosphere is terrific. Definitely worthwhile at current pricing Expand
  12. Jul 17, 2012
    Super game. How did this go under my radar for so long. Have signed up to Metacritic just to write a review. I'm not normally a fan of linear games but Metro (two hours in) Is a beautiful and immersing game to the point that I already feel engrossed in Artyom's tale and the hopeless, brutal & merciless world of post apocalyptic Russia. I love Stalker and Fallout but this game, immersionSuper game. How did this go under my radar for so long. Have signed up to Metacritic just to write a review. I'm not normally a fan of linear games but Metro (two hours in) Is a beautiful and immersing game to the point that I already feel engrossed in Artyom's tale and the hopeless, brutal & merciless world of post apocalyptic Russia. I love Stalker and Fallout but this game, immersion and story telling wise, beats them hands down. I am already looking forward to the sequel and I've not yet even finished the game. If only it were an RPG and I could enjoy this for countless hours more... Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    Game is wonderful, can get really scary at times, make you curse at the top of your lungs as well. Game can be quite a challenge at times, and has some brain teasers in it which is always good. Granted at times the game does have massive fps drops even on my fairly solid rig, but the game is still loads of fun. Best part of the game is that it makes you question your morality and questionGame is wonderful, can get really scary at times, make you curse at the top of your lungs as well. Game can be quite a challenge at times, and has some brain teasers in it which is always good. Granted at times the game does have massive fps drops even on my fairly solid rig, but the game is still loads of fun. Best part of the game is that it makes you question your morality and question justification for prejudice. Solid game, 9/10. Go buy it on Steam, CAN'T WAIT FOR LAST LIGHT! Expand
  14. Aug 26, 2012
    If I could choose an exact score for this game, it would be an 8.6, but hey I rounded up... I thought the game deserved it. :) I'm going to keep this short and to the point. Metro 2033 isn't quite like anything I've ever played, this game stands out on it's own, but for some reason it's hard to say exactly why. It does an great job at making you feel like part of this gritty undergroundIf I could choose an exact score for this game, it would be an 8.6, but hey I rounded up... I thought the game deserved it. :) I'm going to keep this short and to the point. Metro 2033 isn't quite like anything I've ever played, this game stands out on it's own, but for some reason it's hard to say exactly why. It does an great job at making you feel like part of this gritty underground in a world that's gone to hell and the settings you find yourself in are absolutely gorgeously detailed. The one thing everyone will agree on, Metro 2033 has very impressive graphics.

The pacing of this game is really well done and there are definitely some scary moments that sent shivers down my spine. Missions on the surface (above the metro stations) feel dangerous and have a sense of urgency, mainly because of your limited air supply.

The sneak element of this game is great as well; you can blow out candles and lamps, use silencers to take out enemies so you don't alert other nearby patrols, or go in guns blazing. The latter is probably a bad choice as the enemies can be difficult and well fortified. You have a device on your watch that will show you how well hidden you are, simple enough... but effective and fun for those that do like to sneak.

At the time of writing this, the game is on Steam for 20 bones. I can safely suggest this game to any FPS fan that loves a good post apocalyptic shooter with a survival horror element mixed in. It's done well, and I think this is a highly underrated PC game.

Some people may criticize this game as being too linear, but I'm okay with a game that pushes me along in one direction, as long as it does so with a little style and grace... and I feel Metro 2033 does just that.
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    I admire the gloomy atmosphere of the game. The world of the game combines the relationship with our world and something absolutely alien. It shows how our world could be look alien. The game is just beautiful and art work is great. My score is 9 because I received "PhysX error" at first start of the game, and I had to reinstall PhysX myself.
  16. Jan 29, 2014
    I'm glad I got this game mostly free with Humble Bundle. I CANNOT stand Checkpoint saves. Stupid console clone. If it had been made from the ground up on the PC, it would have had a much better interface and the ability to save at will.
  17. Jan 18, 2013
    I played this game in the original Russian language, while reading the first (in the series) book "Metro 2033: No Escape" by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I must say, what i really liked about the game is its mood and atmosphere; what i didn't like was its shortness: why not make it longer, deeper, more involving? There are quite a few parallels with Stalker games (and the book by StrugatskiI played this game in the original Russian language, while reading the first (in the series) book "Metro 2033: No Escape" by Dmitry Glukhovsky. I must say, what i really liked about the game is its mood and atmosphere; what i didn't like was its shortness: why not make it longer, deeper, more involving? There are quite a few parallels with Stalker games (and the book by Strugatski brothers "Picnick on the Side of the Road" of course) which are mentioned briefly but never explored. Why? So much chance to deepen the game is just brushed away! So much of the Moscow Metro area is left unexplored (you cover about 5% of the metro stations in game). Why?
    So, while the game is well-paced, and yes - linear, it leaves many aspects of two good novels untouched, unexplored. I finished the game in 10 hours on normal dif. What else can i say?
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    This is a game I debated on getting for a long while before a purchase. I ended up buying it on sale from Steam. Overall I really have liked this game. The developers have created a great atmosphere with the ambiant noise, textures, and suspense. The fact that you are constantly low on ammo is a challenge that more games should adopt. I find the games today are just too easy...This is a game I debated on getting for a long while before a purchase. I ended up buying it on sale from Steam. Overall I really have liked this game. The developers have created a great atmosphere with the ambiant noise, textures, and suspense. The fact that you are constantly low on ammo is a challenge that more games should adopt. I find the games today are just too easy... sometimes even on the hardest setting. This game is different in that it is just challenging enough to keep you interested without throwing you into a rage. The biggest downside to this game is that it is not optimized. I find my GPU runs hot even when it shouldn't, my FPS does drop from time to time, and I have had a few soft crashes. These issues are not enough for me to stop playing but are annoying. With these issues fixed I would rate this a solid 8 or 9. I'm really looking forward to the sequel in 2013 because now that they have more financial backing the game will definitely be better. Expand
  19. Nov 6, 2012
    For once a first-shooter game with challenges even on normal. and the Ranger Hardcore makes it almost realistic. Great game with beautiful graphic and a great story-line.

I want to read the book it's based on just from playing this game.
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, let's start:

The good: amazing graphics, great atmosphere, great voice acting, great story, innovative gameplay
    The bad: ridiculously hard, stiff controls

Let me explain: the game have awesome graphics, it's very dark, indeed, but it's also very beautiful. What do I mean with "great atmosphere"? While playing, there was ocasions that I felt bad for the people on the metro, it's a game, but you can see that they suffered a lot, sometimes you see wounded people, blood on the walls, dead bodies, blood pools on the ground, anyway, sometimes you really feel that you are part of the story. And why "innovative gameplay"? Simple, your money on the game is your ammo, so, you can't shoot everything that moves, even with an AK-47, you have to aim a lot before you shoot, expecially when you have 20 bullets on the magazine and no bullets left to reload. Sometimes you find people that sell bullets, so you can exchange the ammo that you don't need to get more ammo for your favorite gun, and I think that this is great, each time you shoot, you loose money, so you must think before you act.

Now the bad:

The game is hard, like, REALLY hard, if you play on the Ranger difficulty, you die with 2 shots, it's hard to find ammo, and even harder to find Healthy Kits. Sometimes you go to the surface, and you need Filters, that is also hard to find, so, if you don't read about the game on the internet, you may find yourself trapped on the surface, with a gun without ammo, and 3 mins. to find the exit.
    The controls could be better, I don't know how to explain, but they are a little stiffy, you press a button and your character move suddenly, but after sometime playing you get used to it

The game have 2 different gameplay styles:
    - Sometimes you play inside the metro, so it's very dark, and other times you go to the surface, it's very bright, but you have to run because you die if you don't find new Filters for your Gas Mask.
    - Sometimes you face humans, and the gameplay is focused on stealth, hide on the shadow etc. And other times you face the mutants, and the gameplay focus on survival, you have to kill them before they catch you.

That's what I have to say about the game, even with the difficulty and the controls, the game is awesome. If you don't mind dying countless times, and running to find more air or bullets, you should try this game
  21. Oct 22, 2012
    this game WoW the graphics are outstanding, but who cares ( i do by the way ) anyway the game is difficult i barely beat it on normal ok it is hard the gameplay is good some times its weird ( kid level ) there are 2 endings the good and bad ending i think the bad one is also good but ok voice acting is triple A the main problem is the ai is dumb and the guns feel weird i wouldthis game WoW the graphics are outstanding, but who cares ( i do by the way ) anyway the game is difficult i barely beat it on normal ok it is hard the gameplay is good some times its weird ( kid level ) there are 2 endings the good and bad ending i think the bad one is also good but ok voice acting is triple A the main problem is the ai is dumb and the guns feel weird i would recommend this to anyone except the people who play cod for a living Expand
  22. Mar 9, 2012
    I played the game before reading the novel, found a lot of access, but does not affect the quality of the game, the scene of the game is very commendable, and a detailed picture of the lives of the people of metro
  23. Mar 29, 2012
    Metro 2033 is truly a masterpiece in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. They are so good that I dare to say those are almost an art form. Also, without spoiling anything I must say details in Metro 2033 are adorable. As soon as you start to play game you can feel Metro 2033 is from a different culture which I think we should consider ourselves lucky as gamers. We should do thisMetro 2033 is truly a masterpiece in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. They are so good that I dare to say those are almost an art form. Also, without spoiling anything I must say details in Metro 2033 are adorable. As soon as you start to play game you can feel Metro 2033 is from a different culture which I think we should consider ourselves lucky as gamers. We should do this cause Games like Metro 2033 give us a very good opportunity to experience creativity and uniqueness instead of stereotype games. Beside itty bitty gameplay difficulties, Metro 2033 is flawless. Like I said earlier I' haven't seen and enjoyed such atmosphere for a long time. Metro 2033 was huge relief for my hunger. Congrats to 4A Games. Expand
  24. Aug 26, 2013
    Only problem with this game is that its short it could be longer, gameplay is really nice, upgrading your weapons is rewarding and fun, exploration is fun, combat is fun, graphics are amazing, awesome story, really great game/
  25. Mar 25, 2013
    This is a awesome game, and best of all, you can choice if the peoples will talk russia or english. And that makes it more realistic. It's a fun game, you never get bored of it. It's really well done. The weapons are little like in the Fallout games. If you buy it, you won't regret it. Game on and kill those radiation monsters.
  26. Oct 7, 2012
    Exelent !!! Ce jeu est tout simplement magnifique, l'histoire est tres bien agencée, le jeu est bon dans tout l'ensemble, ambiance effet de lumiere, creature, personnage, animation, doublage etc !
  27. Dec 6, 2012
    I'd actually give this game a 9.5. It has a few flaws that have been pointed out plenty... And despite said flaws its one of the most engrossing, immersive games I've ever played. On ranger mode, I feel as though I'm down in the Metro myself. The graphics are fairly decent as well and the story is an incredible journey even if the ending and overall goal are somewhat disapointing. Buy thisI'd actually give this game a 9.5. It has a few flaws that have been pointed out plenty... And despite said flaws its one of the most engrossing, immersive games I've ever played. On ranger mode, I feel as though I'm down in the Metro myself. The graphics are fairly decent as well and the story is an incredible journey even if the ending and overall goal are somewhat disapointing. Buy this game, its well worth the bargain deals you'll find it in and is much better than the vast majority of **** on the market now. Expand
  28. Jan 12, 2013
    Great game, cool graphics, great story since it is based on one of the best apocalyptic novels, great stealth mechanics. The only bad part is shooting people (Not monsters) feels like shooting a wall.
  29. Mar 31, 2013
    I got this game for free from the THQ facebook page, so the logical reaction was "eh it might be good for a small bit of laughs" wow was I in for a surprise. The next 2 days were jam packed of this game, from my view point of a harder difficulty level (I played on the second hardest I believe) It was very challenging. I actually felt like it was a post apocalyptic world! Low ammunition,I got this game for free from the THQ facebook page, so the logical reaction was "eh it might be good for a small bit of laughs" wow was I in for a surprise. The next 2 days were jam packed of this game, from my view point of a harder difficulty level (I played on the second hardest I believe) It was very challenging. I actually felt like it was a post apocalyptic world! Low ammunition, limited gas mask canisters, harder to find money. I actually found myself keeping ammo and trying to conserve it so I would be ready for whatever was around the next corner,I even jumped a good bunch of times from scary ass that was all over the place, if I had one tip to give to you, it would be to play this game with good quality headphones, the sounds were amazing, immersive and enjoyable. And then there's the story, oh man the story is amazing with multiple endings that even today's games don't have, I think it had 3 or 4 different endings depending on your play style and difficult moral decisions made in the heat of critical and pivotal points in the story.Overall an amazing game, I could run it on my laptop, it didn't cost me a dime, and it was an unparalleled experience in a game for me, the story stuck in my head for days after thinking about how people see things, and wondering what those other endings were. I HAD to play this game again too! Wait what? A free, single player game that has a ton of re playability?! Yes. You know what I'm done telling you why this game kicks so much ass, go get it! it's worth every cent, if any, and it offers so much. Top 10 material my friends. Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2013
    I was on my guard before playing this... the developers were giving it free if you liked on facebook their page... I saw good reviews and decided to try it out even if resume shortly, was a free facebook game lol.

How good can be a game sold 50$ and now free for a short period of time... They say time are hard, many company close doors, which THQ, was part of. Don't fool yourself,

How good can be a game sold 50$ and now free for a short period of time...
    They say time are hard, many company close doors, which THQ, was part of.
    Don't fool yourself, this game may be 5$ on steam right now, but it worth the 60$ if you like this linear storywise kind of game. It brings you to another world, which is terribly horrible in this one...Having to live in sewers, never seen the sun, nor breath fresh air. Having to defend tunnels daily by some dark creatures. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting are such incredible, you'll live this game.
  31. Aug 20, 2013
    Metro 2033 has great graphics and detailed environments, the world is believable and maybe the best since Bioshock 1.
    The storyline is interesting and creates much atmosphere.
    The combat feels unique and includes aspects of survival horror. On higher difficulties (Ranger Mode) this game is the ultimate challenge for the player. Almost no other game I have played was such a great
    The storyline is interesting and creates much atmosphere.
    The combat feels unique and includes aspects of survival horror.
    Almost no other game I have played was such a great experience, but be warned Metro 2033 is not a game for everyone. If you have been playing Call of Duty all day, this will feel strange
  32. Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent graphics, enjoyable gameplay. Poor animation. Now after the last light, we can say The first part of that was interesting and high quality. Stels was hardcore, but it gave the game a reality and of interest
  33. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is like a good movie with a great atmosphere. A movie, that took me 15 hours to play for just 3.5€ (Steam summer offer). For this price (and even somewhat higher) I can fully recommend this game.
  34. Jul 7, 2013
    Story The story is based on the russian best-seller Metro 2033 (you might see that book in the game's decors), and from what i read of resumes, it's a kinda good adaptation of it.

Also, the story is not like some stories where it's "we killed the monsters, they were 150 and we 5 but it's ok, nobody died", already at the start there are guys who die as example when Artyom starts his travel, they're 4 in the trolley, only 3 will reach the destination. And we see many characters and each of them having a certain personnality, something you don't always see in games.

Gameplay You play the game as another FPS, with guns, knive, etc... But that's not all, you also have some interactive moments where you need to press fast a key to do some actions for example, mostly saving yourself. Said like this, it looks a bit like the other FPS, but it's not. It's not always easy to survive in the future You always need Gas Masks on you if you go to the surface or in radioactive areas, munitions are something you'll lack (especially in Ranger difficulties) if you don't aim for heads, you hesitate between using normal bullets or military ones, more efficace but used as money in the metro, you should always look for munitions or mask filters on corpses or secret caches. But thanksfully, you're not often alone, there are characters that helps you and fight with you in battle. Also, it's not only killing others, as there are different ways to finish some missions, such as remaining in shadows. For the Difficulty, it's not too easy but not that hard (except in Ranger Hardcore ^^") and the two ranger difficulties Ranger Easy and Ranger Hardcore offer a new way to play the game Forget your green weapon's viewfinder in the middle of the screen and ATH, forget the abundant munitions and gas filters, and good luck with what remains ;)
    But there's a little problem about the Gameplay, when you have finished the game, except trying again in Ranger difficulties, you don't have anything to do, as there's no multiplayer or cooperative mode, what could have been really nice, surviving with one or more friends against the mutants and bad guys.

Graphics The graphics are really impressive. No problem with that imo. With those graphics, it's kinda like if you were in the game, especially when you play with a 1920*1080 screen and graphics options to the maximum (and that you overload your computer power like this).
    Just, be sure that your PC is decent before playing it or reduce a bit the graphics options.

Conclusion :

A cheap game with really nice graphics with a nice story and a good difficulty. Also, it includes a good way to play the game differently and that's really nice (even if it's hard).
    The only problem is the lack of a Cooperation/Multiplayer mode.
    So, a good game that i recommend you to buy.

Rating 4/5
  35. Oct 20, 2013
    Graphic & Sound: Nice detailed graphics and good sound which helps to build up tension.

Story: The story tries to be serious and epic but fails. Every guy talks like he's tough but you don't buy it. Voices and monologues are repetitive. It seams like a bad patchwork of ideas. AI: The human AI is incredible accurate at spotting and blind at the same time. They can pinpoint me in pitch

AI: The human AI is incredible accurate at spotting and blind at the same time. They can pinpoint me in pitch dark corners but don't realize if i kill a buddy in front of them. If one enemy gets alerted, everyone is and knows exactly where I am. This is one reason I stopped playing the game after 5 hours.

In some games auto save helps the story but not in this. It was just annoying!

I can't recommend the game
  36. Mar 17, 2014
    Metro 2033 has an interesting story, nice music and stunning visuals and can be very immersive at times. Unfortunately, the game also has many problems.

Technical problems: There are bugs with the default configuration that you have to bypass before you can properly play the game. Enabling Vsync strangely improves the performance quite a bit and the default field of view is way too narrow and has to be changed in two config files. Aim sensivity is also messed up: It's too high for scoped weapons and too low for iron sights. It can be adjusted, but there's no way to make it good for both.

Save games: The save locations are bad and there's no way to quick save or anything. Auto saving at fixed locations makes the saves a lot smaller, but the spots should be chosen carefully. I had to reload a chapter at least twice, because the game saved in situations that made it impossible to continue.

The AI is pathetic: When one enemy notices you, every opponent in the map is locked on to you like an aimbot. This makes stealth play almost impossible. The enemies are even trying to shoot you through walls from points where they absolutely can't see or hear you, that's how hard they cheat. They also have unlimited ammo, naturally, and wearing a helmet means they can take several shots to the face.

Game mechanics are poor and not properly explained: Pressing reload too long will load your military grade ammo (which serve as the game's currency) into your weapon and literally makes you shoot money at your opponents.

Many of these problems (bad config, save system, dumbed down game mechanics) are typical console problems, so we once again have a very poorly adjusted port.

I initially stopped playing as the first few levels are very poor and frustrating, because of the terrible save points, as mentioned before, and the AI of the human enemies is super bad. I eventually continued and finished the game and I'm glad I did. I don't want to spoil anything, but the game really gets a lot better in the second half.

After all, Metro 2033 could have been great, but it's just good, because of the many bugs and oversights.
  37. Mar 13, 2014
    This game has a fantastic immersing and well designed environment, very detailed and creepy. The storyline it's good, but nothing astonishing. I like the fact that we are in a post-apocalyptic Moscow where every bullet, air filter and med-pack are essential to survive, so we have to be very careful with our limited resources. Except for the voices, the sound is pretty good. All theThis game has a fantastic immersing and well designed environment, very detailed and creepy. The storyline it's good, but nothing astonishing. I like the fact that we are in a post-apocalyptic Moscow where every bullet, air filter and med-pack are essential to survive, so we have to be very careful with our limited resources. Except for the voices, the sound is pretty good. All the environment sounds and the beasts roars are scary as hell. The main problem of this game it's it poor and bad designed combat. The enemies and beasts knows exactly where you are, even if they haven't seen you and takes a huge amount of ammo to kill them in all difficulties. Also, they have a excellent precision at long distances with any weapon, which is very unrealistic. Apart from that, the game is very lineal, you can't explore anything, which is a pity due to the excellent environment design. To end this, I want to mention two details: Artyom is very boring, you can't see his face and doesn't talk and the graphic system is really bad optimized, so, if you don't have a very good computer, you will be suffering lag everytime.

To sum up:

The best: extremely innmersive and terrifyng post-apocalyptic Moscow.

The worst: the poor and bad designed shooting combat.
  38. Sep 30, 2014
    Believe me, I really wanted to rate this game higher because I was so intrigued by the gritty atmosphere and setting, so much so that I read the novel just to delve into Artyom's psyche and backstory a little bit more. The story, characters and setting were all solid, and the game had so much potential, but it's unfortunate that the game has more than a few significant issues that reallyBelieve me, I really wanted to rate this game higher because I was so intrigued by the gritty atmosphere and setting, so much so that I read the novel just to delve into Artyom's psyche and backstory a little bit more. The story, characters and setting were all solid, and the game had so much potential, but it's unfortunate that the game has more than a few significant issues that really hamper the experience. The game is poorly optimised, the AI is lacking, stealth is kinda broken, mouse controls feel clunky and slow. As a result of all this, I can only see Metro 2033 as nothing more than a somewhat decent game, a flawed masterpiece.

Overall rating - 7.3/10
  39. Feb 2, 2012
    Very linear gameplay which was totally unexpected but nethertheless the game is very easy to play and I happily churned my way through it and all the experiences it has to offer. The graphics are obviously amazing, in particular the lighting. I have some gripes with the decisions you make in the game and that they are very slapdash and not particular obvious , given that you have to meetVery linear gameplay which was totally unexpected but nethertheless the game is very easy to play and I happily churned my way through it and all the experiences it has to offer. The graphics are obviously amazing, in particular the lighting. I have some gripes with the decisions you make in the game and that they are very slapdash and not particular obvious , given that you have to meet so many subtle goals to achieve a good ending I felt a little bit cheated. The weapon physics are great but the enemies are rediculously powerful and great use of a little kid in a game!
    All in all a great experience well worth playing and enjoying , just dont expect anything revolutionary.
  40. CeeD
    Mar 19, 2010
    Metro 2033 does every thing right. The only fault here is the lack of including a multiplayer experience, but the single player is amongst the best I have ever played in my life. The graphics are top notch. This is as good as it gets, and won't likely be surpassed until Crysis 2 comes out. Even on DX9 this is the prettiest game to date. Sound is amongst the best in a video game ever. Metro 2033 does every thing right. The only fault here is the lack of including a multiplayer experience, but the single player is amongst the best I have ever played in my life. The graphics are top notch. This is as good as it gets, and won't likely be surpassed until Crysis 2 comes out. Even on DX9 this is the prettiest game to date. Sound is amongst the best in a video game ever. Once again top notch. The music is amazingly creepy and depressing which sets the tone great. The voice acting is superb. Gun sounds and bullet deflections are great here as well. I dont want to continue writing things that have already been said so I say buy this game immediately. It is by far the best experience I've had in a long time. I'm on my second play through and its just as great as the first. Cant wait for a sequel. It's like a movie, think Heavy Rain but ten times better. Expand
  41. IveyT.
    Apr 10, 2010
    If you are person going through depression or anxiety maybe stir clear of this one. The environments and lighting effects are so real that you really do feel like your stuck under a Moscow in a deteriorating, decrepit confined world. Some of the best environmental graphics I've seen. The game is not perfect but Im giving it a 9 for the amount of immersion its capable of.
  42. MartinS
    Apr 14, 2010
    While the game was fun, it had the potential to be even greater. What I expected was a game similar to the STALKER series: open ended, huge, and a sandbox. The first time i played it, i was sorely disappointed, and ended up shelving the game almost immediately. Upon later revision, I replayed it and found the experience far more enjoyable. Cant wait for any DLC; hopefully there will be While the game was fun, it had the potential to be even greater. What I expected was a game similar to the STALKER series: open ended, huge, and a sandbox. The first time i played it, i was sorely disappointed, and ended up shelving the game almost immediately. Upon later revision, I replayed it and found the experience far more enjoyable. Cant wait for any DLC; hopefully there will be some free roam added (hint hint). Expand
  43. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is a fantastic narrative fps. Is it perfect? No. But I rated it 10/10 because it does what games should do, provide an incredibly fun gaming experience that sucks you in and makes you lose track of time. Some reviewers (*cough* ign *cough*) cited the unforgiving stealth sections as a negative. I found this to be extremely fun and rewarding. Yes- one mistake and the guards areThis game is a fantastic narrative fps. Is it perfect? No. But I rated it 10/10 because it does what games should do, provide an incredibly fun gaming experience that sucks you in and makes you lose track of time. Some reviewers (*cough* ign *cough*) cited the unforgiving stealth sections as a negative. I found this to be extremely fun and rewarding. Yes- one mistake and the guards are all alerted, there is no "Oh it must have been a rat/the wind/my imagination" system. Which I found great. It made everything much more tense. In short, if you don't have this game, pick it up. Expand
  44. AndrewF.
    Mar 31, 2010
    You will hear people go on and on about how it is really atmospheric, and unfortunately I will be no different. This is the games main selling point; it relentlessly drags you into the game and makes you believe that you are actually trapped underground in the metro locked in a struggle to free your people from the monster known only as the dark ones. Pre-release people where comparing it You will hear people go on and on about how it is really atmospheric, and unfortunately I will be no different. This is the games main selling point; it relentlessly drags you into the game and makes you believe that you are actually trapped underground in the metro locked in a struggle to free your people from the monster known only as the dark ones. Pre-release people where comparing it to the likes of Stalker and Fallout, but a more apt comparison would be to the likes of Half Life and FEAR as it takes place in small liner environments. 4A (the developers) may very well want to hang me for saying that, though, as they have obviously spent a lot of time making alternant routs for you to take to suit different game play styles. If you want to be sneaky and creep past enemy undetected, then you can do so; if, however, you want to charge in guns-a-blazing then there is an option for that as well. It is not perfect, as like any game it has its flaws. Some points I was able to climb up nearly shear walls, I got myself stuck in the scenery a few times, and the AI could do with some advancement, but none of this is enough to spoil your enjoyment of the game. Some say that the graphics look outdated, and I can see where they are coming from, but I don Expand
  45. stefanD
    Apr 5, 2010
    A very solid, fast pacing, dark game, all of you who cant work with a weapon thats got smears on its scope, dont play, all of you who love to work with what you are given in a world in ashes, go buy this. On the same level as S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for me.
  46. Dec 9, 2010
    A very interesting story & a hauntingly beautiful game. The first thing that will strike you about Metro 2033 is that the incredibly well crafted game world is beautiful but yet quite somber as you would expect it to be in a post apocalyptic world. Some of the most beautiful things in the game are also some of the most deadly such as environmental hazards. I really enjoyed the story whichA very interesting story & a hauntingly beautiful game. The first thing that will strike you about Metro 2033 is that the incredibly well crafted game world is beautiful but yet quite somber as you would expect it to be in a post apocalyptic world. Some of the most beautiful things in the game are also some of the most deadly such as environmental hazards. I really enjoyed the story which pulled me in like a good book and had me wanting to find out more about what was going on when the game would only really hand out tidbits now & then.

The gun play in the game is thoroughly enjoyable although I think some of the AI could have used a bit of work as AI soldiers occasionally make odd decisions. I did find that it was nice to have the choice between using stealth in some areas or just going in guns blazing (the later was often the more difficult option). I see most of the low review scores are from people with performance complaints, so people should keep in mind this is a Direct X 11 game and is meant for Next Gen hardware so a 2+ year old computer is going to struggle especially if you have a lower end CPU.

If you have a mid to high end computer and are after a good Single player FPS with a fantastic story and beautiful engine then this is the game for you.
  47. Nov 14, 2011
    well i bought this game on sale dirt cheap, at that price i found it very enjoyable, i like its idea and style, also the stealth system people complian about does work it is just extremely difficult and will have you loading your save up time after time, but remember this game is not produced by a massive studio, and it is really meant to be a old school fps where you have to think yourwell i bought this game on sale dirt cheap, at that price i found it very enjoyable, i like its idea and style, also the stealth system people complian about does work it is just extremely difficult and will have you loading your save up time after time, but remember this game is not produced by a massive studio, and it is really meant to be a old school fps where you have to think your own way past situations, for £3.50 i cant complian but for the full 15.99 price it probably wouldnt be worth it which is why im giving 7 becasue its replay value is pretty much nill becasue you can do it again but it doesnt have that same creepy whats next feel Expand
  48. Nov 30, 2010
    Blown away, I had heard so many mixed things about this game from magazines and pod casts I was a little apprehensive about purchasing it, how ever. not only have I been pleasantly surprised by It has far surpassed my expectations.

The game looks incredible and the world feels claustrophobic and alive; yes it is mainly scripted actions but some of the set pieces are up there with HL2 and COD:MW.

A must for anyone with a love of shooting out light bulbs too. not since the original splinter cell have i enjoyed creeping through the darkness so much. Everything I wanted Stalker to be and more.
  49. Apr 10, 2012
    Metro 2033 is a great game that comes with some unfortunate baggage for the PC version. It's poorly optimized, chugging on even good systems when the action gets intense, and the FOV and mouse options never feel quite right. That being said, the rest of the game is pretty damn good. The atmosphere is spot on, you really feel like you're part of an underground society sheltering not justMetro 2033 is a great game that comes with some unfortunate baggage for the PC version. It's poorly optimized, chugging on even good systems when the action gets intense, and the FOV and mouse options never feel quite right. That being said, the rest of the game is pretty damn good. The atmosphere is spot on, you really feel like you're part of an underground society sheltering not just from mutants, but a lethal, poisonous world as well. The weapons and gadgets fit the theme as well, particularly the gas mask sections which add a sense of urgency to your time topside. You'll probably like this game if you enjoy STALKER or other post-apocalyptic games, though this is more linear and story driven than most. I struggled on scoring this because I really enjoyed Metro 2033, but the technical issues are pretty bad. Expand
  50. Mar 18, 2012
    A friend of mine told me to get this game when it was on sale for for 5 dollars. Looking back I would have paid 60 bucks for it. I've played through the game about 10 times now it's a great game to play it's fun and the story is good. the people that a complaining about normal obviously don't use there ammo or health cause I had easily had full health and tons of ammo by the end of theA friend of mine told me to get this game when it was on sale for for 5 dollars. Looking back I would have paid 60 bucks for it. I've played through the game about 10 times now it's a great game to play it's fun and the story is good. the people that a complaining about normal obviously don't use there ammo or health cause I had easily had full health and tons of ammo by the end of the game. Even on ranger hard difficulty I found myself having more then enough ammo and health to get the job done. The story is not in your face and in doesn't force you through cut-scenes. However you still feel like your in "the story" and have a purpose. This is a great game I just hope the sequel is just a good. Expand
  51. Aug 28, 2010
    Beautiful game. Although it is very short and linear. But that's not always a bad thing and it's especially not a bad thing in Metro 2033. It has an amazing story, fun gameplay, and cool weapons. However i still want the DLC for PC. It's been a few weeks and still nothing.
  52. poseidonM
    Mar 23, 2010
    Great game! 4A Games just continue. I sick from review`s like IGM or UP1 give for this game. Game is not perfect but is very good. I played two times to the end. Is not boring game. Have good story. Have good graphic. But not have 'name' like Bioshock or Call of Duty... If u have name u have min score min. 9 on IGN, UP1, Gamespy, GameSpot.
  53. coltk
    Mar 26, 2010
    Pros: captivating story line will keep you immersed for a good 9 hour play through, and probably for a second play through with the multiple ending. Cons: replayability after that is little, the game is very linear and should really have coop or lan. price: for games these days people are used to stringing years of entertainment out of a video game, to get a week seems like a rip... Pros: captivating story line will keep you immersed for a good 9 hour play through, and probably for a second play through with the multiple ending. Cons: replayability after that is little, the game is very linear and should really have coop or lan. price: for games these days people are used to stringing years of entertainment out of a video game, to get a week seems like a rip... Warning: this isnt for your aging computer, i got fine FPS on a custom built Q6600, 4gig, 4870x2 2gig compy. Expand
  54. gk
    Mar 17, 2010
    One of the best singleplayer shooters I've played in recent years. The gunplay is great, the story is well presented, the pacing is great, and it's actually fairly challenging. Also, the game presents its 'universe' exceptionally well. The atmosphere in the stations/'cities' is especially strong; you get the impression you're in a place where people One of the best singleplayer shooters I've played in recent years. The gunplay is great, the story is well presented, the pacing is great, and it's actually fairly challenging. Also, the game presents its 'universe' exceptionally well. The atmosphere in the stations/'cities' is especially strong; you get the impression you're in a place where people actually live, although your ability to interact with the world itself is fairly limited. Although the STALKER comparisons are pretty much inevitable, Metro really isn't particularly similar to stalker outside of the post-apocalyptic setting and similar visual style. The game is a highly scripted on-rails(pun not intended) affair similar to CoD, or HL2, with some very limited RPG elements similar to Bioshock. That said, the closed world and limited player freedom makes for better pacing, and the scripted sequences are for the most part very compelling and well executed. The game is good, but if you go in expecting a free-roaming sandbox/rpg game you're going to be dissapointed. The game isn't perfect though. It's fairly short and not especially replayable (I finished in just over 6 hours). Also, the voice acting is at times slightly questionable, although it's never especially bad, and besides it's pretty hard to pull off a believable world full of heavily accented english-speaking Russians. Expand
  55. AndrewS
    Mar 19, 2010
    Why many game sites continue to review and score based on the 360 versions is beyond my comprehension. This is a game that has been built basically from the ground up for the PC. And in spite of that, sites like Gametrailers (an obvious important leader of opinion) review the 360 version, complete with it's considerably reduced graphics and physix issues. Likewise, the AI works fine Why many game sites continue to review and score based on the 360 versions is beyond my comprehension. This is a game that has been built basically from the ground up for the PC. And in spite of that, sites like Gametrailers (an obvious important leader of opinion) review the 360 version, complete with it's considerably reduced graphics and physix issues. Likewise, the AI works fine on the PC from what I can see (I'm about two thirds in). The only good argumentet critique I've heard so far about this game is the one related to the actual hight of the attacking mutant enemies, that causes them to get out of your field of view in frantic scenes. Expand
  56. RoryC
    Mar 20, 2010
    Having just recieved this game today I can say, it's one of the best games I have ever played. Mixing the strange stylish first person cutscene action from Bioshock, with the creepy post-apocalyptic atmosphere of stalker, this is simply a must buy for anyone into Bioshock, S.T.A.L.K.E.R or Fallout 3. It won't win any game of year awards, but it's a damn good game.
  57. MariuszK
    Mar 27, 2010
    Great atmosphere. Play with Russian voices and English subtitles for the best authentic feel. Pros and cons pretty much as the others have said, though for me a 8-10 hr single player experience beats on the head the 4 hr long throwaway campaigns of COD or Bad Company 2. Don't care for multi and still for me it was a great value purchase. Would love for this developer to make a REAL Great atmosphere. Play with Russian voices and English subtitles for the best authentic feel. Pros and cons pretty much as the others have said, though for me a 8-10 hr single player experience beats on the head the 4 hr long throwaway campaigns of COD or Bad Company 2. Don't care for multi and still for me it was a great value purchase. Would love for this developer to make a REAL Fallout style RPG, as the believability of the dank, squalid metro station existance is far better than the ridiculous world created by Bethesda. Oh and don't believe the people that say you need a supercomputer to run this. It still looks great with everything on high at a resolution of 1280x1024 on my almost 4 year old Core2 2.13 ghz, 2gb RAM and budget ATI 4770. Obviously on a better rig it will look even better, but even with the compromise I've made it looks fantastic, particularly the interiors. Outside, the textures don't seem as good, so that's why I feel that Crysis still has a graphic edge. Expand
  58. AdenC
    Apr 11, 2010
    I thought this game deserved a 9/10 but because of all the bad reviews I gave it an extra point. Metro 2033 has a great atmosphere alongside a unique and thrilling style of game play. The graphics were amazing and amongst the best I've seen from any game, I was expecting low production values after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. There may be a couple of I thought this game deserved a 9/10 but because of all the bad reviews I gave it an extra point. Metro 2033 has a great atmosphere alongside a unique and thrilling style of game play. The graphics were amazing and amongst the best I've seen from any game, I was expecting low production values after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. There may be a couple of bugs but in the patched version I played I could count them throughout the whole game from start to finish on one hand, that Expand
  59. TristanH
    Apr 26, 2010
    I really enjoyed the combination of the STALKER-like post-apocalyptic atmosphere combined with the Half-Life 2 tradition of good pacing, fun set pieces and relatively linear yet still enjoyable level design. Admittedly I'm not a fan of multi-player shooters and this is one of the best single player FPS experiences to come out lately. For what it's worth the game played and I really enjoyed the combination of the STALKER-like post-apocalyptic atmosphere combined with the Half-Life 2 tradition of good pacing, fun set pieces and relatively linear yet still enjoyable level design. Admittedly I'm not a fan of multi-player shooters and this is one of the best single player FPS experiences to come out lately. For what it's worth the game played and looked fine fine at 720p resolution on my dusty old Radeon Athlon X2 5000+ / 3870 combo. Expand
  60. PerusA.
    Apr 4, 2010
    After 25 years of gaming this has to be one of 5 top FPS's I have ever played.Those complaining about the AI probably need to stick with Multiplayer.I found all areas of the game facinating.Especially if you play all the stealth scenarios as combat.Turn it on harcore and try that for a while with no silenced weapons or knives.Love the graphics,since I play everything at 1024by 768 I After 25 years of gaming this has to be one of 5 top FPS's I have ever played.Those complaining about the AI probably need to stick with Multiplayer.I found all areas of the game facinating.Especially if you play all the stealth scenarios as combat.Turn it on harcore and try that for a while with no silenced weapons or knives.Love the graphics,since I play everything at 1024by 768 I couldn't care less about how smooth the water looks.Love the story and the tight spaces,makes the game really creepy at times.I would compare this one to the original F.E.A.R. in ambience.Had a blast and going to play through a few more times to experiment with weapon sets.Kudo to the dev's. Expand
  61. PeterH.
    Apr 5, 2010
    Equal parts Half-Life 2, STALKER and FEAR. Praise doesn't get much higher than that. Beautiful, immersive and gripping. Multiplayer freeroam DLC would be absolutely awesome if 4A decide to make it.
  62. ???e?
    May 18, 2010
    I don't give 10's in metacritic, as a matter of real fact I cannot remember the last time I gave a 10. This is by far, the best single player experience I've had in many years, if not the best ever. The environment, the graphics, the characters and the voice-acting.... oh man. Would you believe it that I replayed the game not for the alternate ending, but to go back and I don't give 10's in metacritic, as a matter of real fact I cannot remember the last time I gave a 10. This is by far, the best single player experience I've had in many years, if not the best ever. The environment, the graphics, the characters and the voice-acting.... oh man. Would you believe it that I replayed the game not for the alternate ending, but to go back and revisit the characters again? Fuck, the immersion in this is a work of art. For you who are reading this and considering downloading it on bittorrent, don't. Just go BUY a copy from the store. There are almost close to no developers dedicated to making exclusive-quality content for the PC anymore. TO THE PEOPLE AT A4 FROM UKRAINE, I will get Metro 2034 when you develop it and I hope you do, but please don't use proprietary technology like PhysX, it hurts the experience for non-nvidia users. Thank you for this game! Expand
  63. Dec 17, 2010
    Should have been game of the year in many ways, this game is pretty great, a must have for any serious gamer who appreciates solid single player and immersive story.
  64. Oct 13, 2011
    I was going to say originally that I thought this was an 8. Now after another hour into it I cannot say that's accurate. The auto save system sucks so bad. Example: game autsaves before a big battle(there is no quicksave or even regular save option, it does aut saves and that's all). Before you start to fight though u might want to charge your weapon, your light and take your gas maskI was going to say originally that I thought this was an 8. Now after another hour into it I cannot say that's accurate. The auto save system sucks so bad. Example: game autsaves before a big battle(there is no quicksave or even regular save option, it does aut saves and that's all). Before you start to fight though u might want to charge your weapon, your light and take your gas mask off. You go into the fight and get killed. Every time you die and start the area over you must repeat all the prep work you want before you enter it. After a number of times doing this(im playing on 2nd to hardest first run thru) it just sucks. Monster animations while attacking can be bizzare, they can walk right thru you? Game is choppy even with medium settings on a good computer, there's no excuse for this crap. Expand
  65. Brumbek
    Apr 28, 2010
    This to me is the perfect game. Why? Because every aspect of it is top-notch, is presented with perfect pacing, and leaves you with nothing but very strong positive memories. It draws you in and doesn
  66. Jun 23, 2011
    One of the better games i've played. VERY innovative and different from any other FPS i have played. The graphics are intense, the story is immersive, the action is brutal. All in all a great game. This survival horror game stands alone on its own. I liked it so much I played in through 8 times and beat all difficulties and got almost all steam achievements. Sadly what lets this game downOne of the better games i've played. VERY innovative and different from any other FPS i have played. The graphics are intense, the story is immersive, the action is brutal. All in all a great game. This survival horror game stands alone on its own. I liked it so much I played in through 8 times and beat all difficulties and got almost all steam achievements. Sadly what lets this game down is the play time is fairly short which is disheartening and it lacks a Multiplayer. I would easily loved to see a Nazi vs Communist multiplayer. Also the human enemy AI is a bit unintelligent at easier difficulties. Metro 2033 definitely deserves and second look and once you play it, you will yearn for more. Expand
  67. Apr 2, 2012
    Great story, awesome atmosphere and good depth. A variety of weapons are offered as well as multiple endings to the game. The levels are linear (and so what?) and still fun to play. Just because a game has linear levels doesn't make it bad. I had a huge blast playing this game and becoming immersed in it. The stealth portions and sound were a little annoying and the framerate chugs atGreat story, awesome atmosphere and good depth. A variety of weapons are offered as well as multiple endings to the game. The levels are linear (and so what?) and still fun to play. Just because a game has linear levels doesn't make it bad. I had a huge blast playing this game and becoming immersed in it. The stealth portions and sound were a little annoying and the framerate chugs at times but is still worth the pickup. Expand
  68. Oct 27, 2010
    excellent graphics engine, immersive story, albeit pretty linear. ChrisP needs to stop crying so much, this is a good game, and I'm not "industry" or a fanboy. Just a PC gamer with a high end computer and an appreciation for new games with good or better execution. Metro 2033, wins.
  69. Jul 2, 2011
    This is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Every single room, character, and environment is amazingly detailed. This highly under-appreciated game deserves your full attention. While the masses enjoy their superficial BioShock's the truly enlightened will adore Metro 2033's artistic and technical brilliance. Some games are meant to be played and tossed aside, but Metro 2033 isThis is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Every single room, character, and environment is amazingly detailed. This highly under-appreciated game deserves your full attention. While the masses enjoy their superficial BioShock's the truly enlightened will adore Metro 2033's artistic and technical brilliance. Some games are meant to be played and tossed aside, but Metro 2033 is meant to go deep into your soul and evolve you into the next level of gamer. So yeah, I liked it. Expand
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    When I picked up Metro 2033 I wasn't expecting anything extraordinary, just something to kill the time.. Boy was I wrong.

Metro 2033 ended up being one of the greatest video game experiences I have ever had, the atmosphere is by far the most immersive and interesting in any video game made to date, the game play and shooting elements are superb, most notably the stealth aspect of the game which is just amazing, the enemies act just how you think they would in real life situations, if you fire a shot in the darkness and hit somebody their friends will turn around and fire at the same spot in the darkness you fired from and not instantly knowing where you are even if you move or hide behind cover, which many stealth games seem to suffer from.

The only disappointment from Metro 2033 is the fact it isn't longer - not that it's short - I just didn't want it to ever end.
  71. Jan 28, 2011
    Eines der besten Spiele die ich je gespielt habe...Sehr spannend und super Atmosphäre.
    Nachdem ich das Spiel gespielt habe möchte ich auch unbedingt die Bücher lesen( und das als Lesemuffel)
    Wenn ihr auf düstere Ego-Shooter steht holt es euch
  72. Oct 11, 2011
    You guys must have terrible graphics cards or you bought the wrong game because this game has top of the line graphics and the story is pretty neat. It isn't really a game designed for the console and the levels are pretty challenging. It scares me sometimes.
  73. DanijelL
    Mar 19, 2010
    Besides not that the best AI and slightly high system requirements this game gives almost everything you would want from a video game. Superb atmosphere, great graphic, very immersive gameplay and great story. When playing you really feel like part of that world, and when you are in combat, you really feel the horror, or when bullet hits you its like you feel the pain. 9/10 Almost perfect Besides not that the best AI and slightly high system requirements this game gives almost everything you would want from a video game. Superb atmosphere, great graphic, very immersive gameplay and great story. When playing you really feel like part of that world, and when you are in combat, you really feel the horror, or when bullet hits you its like you feel the pain. 9/10 Almost perfect game IMO, only human AI is not that great. Support this game by buying it if you want sequel. Expand
  74. MikeH
    Mar 21, 2010
    Aside from a few obvious glitches, the game seems to be a solid first person shooter, it doesn't really bring too many new things to the table, but it is graphically beautiful, it has different styles for those who like to be sneaky or run and shoot, it's very interactive, and it has an alternate ending for the evil/good paths you can take. The game is somewhat short, but has Aside from a few obvious glitches, the game seems to be a solid first person shooter, it doesn't really bring too many new things to the table, but it is graphically beautiful, it has different styles for those who like to be sneaky or run and shoot, it's very interactive, and it has an alternate ending for the evil/good paths you can take. The game is somewhat short, but has great potential and is very open for downloadable content. Expand
  75. LeeW
    Mar 21, 2010
    Expertly combines story and gameplay with all scripted events having reason instead of things exploding, something I haven't seen in a long time. The gameplay is comprised of tense firefights with stellar combat and stealth AI, exploration that is always rewarded, resource management, vehicle combat (fortunately you don't have to control railcars), and frantic monster survival. Expertly combines story and gameplay with all scripted events having reason instead of things exploding, something I haven't seen in a long time. The gameplay is comprised of tense firefights with stellar combat and stealth AI, exploration that is always rewarded, resource management, vehicle combat (fortunately you don't have to control railcars), and frantic monster survival. When not in the full gameplay experience, characters are realistic and entertaining, complete with dialogue that isn't always the boring exposition you get in brainless first person shooters, atmosphere so thick you can cut it with a bayonet, and stuff that's REALLY pretty. A bonus is that you can also use the original Russian dialog for more immersion, and it's also acted better than what you find in English. Expand
  76. CraigS
    Mar 22, 2010
    The game's atmosphere was a key part in securing its place as one of the best games I have played. The graphics, on a powerful computer, are stunning. The shooting-mechanics were somewhat monotonous, not as smooth, but the variety of weapons balanced out that issue. The story itself, was extremely well put together. Based on a best-selling Russian novel. It worked wonderfully. All in The game's atmosphere was a key part in securing its place as one of the best games I have played. The graphics, on a powerful computer, are stunning. The shooting-mechanics were somewhat monotonous, not as smooth, but the variety of weapons balanced out that issue. The story itself, was extremely well put together. Based on a best-selling Russian novel. It worked wonderfully. All in all, Metro 2033 is a great game and should be enjoyed by everyone. Expand
  77. ScottH
    Mar 22, 2010
    Almost a great FPS but the puzzles are not as well thought out as those in "Half-Life". Game has a tendency to shutter and become unresponsive when restarting from a saved game. After you die however it runs fine. I am fortunate that I was able to bulid a high end machine w 2x GTX 295's. The graphics are "sick" and without the quad GPU's it would be hard to run the graphics much Almost a great FPS but the puzzles are not as well thought out as those in "Half-Life". Game has a tendency to shutter and become unresponsive when restarting from a saved game. After you die however it runs fine. I am fortunate that I was able to bulid a high end machine w 2x GTX 295's. The graphics are "sick" and without the quad GPU's it would be hard to run the graphics much above MED. I only hope that a sequel is coming and that they take there time and not rush it to market half broke like BFBC2 and MW2 to name a few. THQ keep pumping out good FPS like this and you will beast the compitetion. Expand
  78. NordomW
    Mar 22, 2010
    Amazing story, decent to great gameplay, and leaves you wanting for more, which is one of my few complaints - simply too short! Has a few glitches, but nothing ever game breaking, and the graphics are simply amazing, (if somewhat hard on my computer). Only real negatives I can think of, as I said, are a few glitches, and stupid A.I. Throwing a knife into a wall by someone's head, for Amazing story, decent to great gameplay, and leaves you wanting for more, which is one of my few complaints - simply too short! Has a few glitches, but nothing ever game breaking, and the graphics are simply amazing, (if somewhat hard on my computer). Only real negatives I can think of, as I said, are a few glitches, and stupid A.I. Throwing a knife into a wall by someone's head, for example, won't alert them, which is quite ridiculous. I think, however, 4A Games was stressing on non-omniscient A.I., unlike a certain other post-nuclear disaster game, so it's somewhat forgivable. Being linear and short was kind of disappointing, too, but better finishing wanting for more than never ending because you got sick of it, eh? Expand
  79. BobH.
    Mar 31, 2010
    Metro 2033 is a great game overall the story hooks you in and you want to keep playing to learn more.The combat is not too bad although the AI humans can be pretty dumb at times.The games atmosphere is very well done as well.Overall Metro is a great casual game.I you like Metro and are looking for something much more in depth Id would suggest the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series.
  80. franks.
    Apr 12, 2010
    game is something you havent seen. not many games will do what this game has done. most guns are made up by them and not taken from wars. the gamplay is incredibly short for a game without a MP. while in loading screens ull see the whole metro and the spots u already visited and a majority of the metro is unvisited at the end. in the game its u fighting other humans or fighting mutuants game is something you havent seen. not many games will do what this game has done. most guns are made up by them and not taken from wars. the gamplay is incredibly short for a game without a MP. while in loading screens ull see the whole metro and the spots u already visited and a majority of the metro is unvisited at the end. in the game its u fighting other humans or fighting mutuants never mixed. even though i rather fight other humans than the mutants because they are fast and glitch through you and attack from behind. AI squad mates are sometimes incredibly stupid and dont attack sometimes. overall this game keeps u guessing and u need to use the tools the game has given you. final thing there is no exploration and once u leave a station u never go back no matter what. PS: ending didnt make much sense. Expand
  81. RobM
    Apr 19, 2010
    After fixing some technical issues (such as a bugged laser sight) and sitting down to seriously play Metro 2033, all I can say was that I was utterly blown away. If you can get past some serious bugs (that are easy to fix mind) I'm confident Metro will impress. This is what FPS games should be -a totally unique brilliantly paced (I never found a section or gimmick over stayed its After fixing some technical issues (such as a bugged laser sight) and sitting down to seriously play Metro 2033, all I can say was that I was utterly blown away. If you can get past some serious bugs (that are easy to fix mind) I'm confident Metro will impress. This is what FPS games should be -a totally unique brilliantly paced (I never found a section or gimmick over stayed its welcome) FPS With plenty of diversity in action and locales combined with solid, well crafted FPS action. Metro has been made in the tradition of classics like STALKER, Half Life and System Shock - metro is definately a must for any fan of atmospheric, absorbing shooters. Expand
  82. Sep 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't under stand why people say bad tings about this game Metro 2033 is he best game i have played in my life and i have been playing games sins i was 8. it have a great story and game play but the story cud had been longer thats why i give it 9 So if you like first person shooter and like some scary story metro 2033 is something for you!! Expand
  83. Oct 16, 2011
    I enjoyed it a lot and it is was a great steal for $5. It is not overloaded with RPG elements, but has just enough to add to the realism of the game. The atmosphere and storyline keep you interested and the monsters are incredible since they never feel familiar. They always keep you on your toes and can scare the crap out of you. I think the biggest problem is just getting into it in theI enjoyed it a lot and it is was a great steal for $5. It is not overloaded with RPG elements, but has just enough to add to the realism of the game. The atmosphere and storyline keep you interested and the monsters are incredible since they never feel familiar. They always keep you on your toes and can scare the crap out of you. I think the biggest problem is just getting into it in the first place. The perspective is a weird first person that takes some time to get used to; very hard to describe. Also if you have DX11 enabled make sure to turn off DOF for significant performance improvement.

It is well worth trying at least.
  84. Oct 16, 2011
    Understand that this game has flaws. Bad AI, outdated feeling controls, various glitches and bugs. They are flaws that only float on the surface of an amazing experience. The mission that the game developers set out the accomplish by creating their game is fully realized. The world is built with painstaking detail to environmental and what most call "atmosphere." What I mean aboutUnderstand that this game has flaws. Bad AI, outdated feeling controls, various glitches and bugs. They are flaws that only float on the surface of an amazing experience. The mission that the game developers set out the accomplish by creating their game is fully realized. The world is built with painstaking detail to environmental and what most call "atmosphere." What I mean about atmosphere is that when I played this game I felt immersed in the world and situations. Like in a book, in retrospect, I forget that I wasn't really there and the experience was being feed through a computer screen. Deep stuff, right? but really this game will mess with your head with its amazing immersion, awesome art style and graphical power and tense situations. You can really tell that the creators put a lot of love into their project. For instance, I was amazed when I beat the game that the credits were less than a minute long. These guys worked hard and it shows. Play it Expand
  85. Nov 28, 2010
    I think that metro 2033 is impressive game I have ever had from 2001-2010, has a amazing story, but unacceptable controls (for new comers). And horror feelings.....for the first time which was good. I think its a bit short, but for the maker.....long. the best thing was its fun to play, and its quite too easy by the way, the weapons are sooo cool. If there is an other DLC, I would totallyI think that metro 2033 is impressive game I have ever had from 2001-2010, has a amazing story, but unacceptable controls (for new comers). And horror feelings.....for the first time which was good. I think its a bit short, but for the maker.....long. the best thing was its fun to play, and its quite too easy by the way, the weapons are sooo cool. If there is an other DLC, I would totally buy it..... overall this game is quite amazing for me. The bad things that I have seen in this game is the Karma, I think most of the people will not understand whats going on for the shining if they are new to Metro 2033... and it too hard to know whats going on, for me, when I saw the first shining, I'm confusing rather i lost life or what. By the way.... there is no reasons for these karmas to bring you to the good ending. Its my feeling so don't complain.... Expand
  86. Sep 6, 2012
    [Metro2033 / Steam PC / Score 8] This is a very solid FPS. Play as Artyom - living in the Metro below Moscow in a post-nuclear world - destroyed and contaminated. Go on missions from one city to the next and shoot mutant creatures along the way. [You must play this if you are an FPS dog] Released 2010.03 and played 2.5 years later. [DRM] Steam only. Thank goodness there is no[Metro2033 / Steam PC / Score 8] This is a very solid FPS. Play as Artyom - living in the Metro below Moscow in a post-nuclear world - destroyed and contaminated. Go on missions from one city to the next and shoot mutant creatures along the way. [You must play this if you are an FPS dog] Released 2010.03 and played 2.5 years later. [DRM] Steam only. Thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

[Challenges and Mechanics]
    This is an FPS and the opponents are tough - so stick to basics. If you enjoy reloading the game then just run out into the open - the AI has got a good head shot. There is a tiny RPG element which allows for commerce to upgrade weapons and purchase ammo in the cities. However all upgraded weapons can be found eventually and soon after having sufficient purchasing power - Kind of Pointeless ! Ammo is plentiful but limited - just don
  87. Oct 12, 2011
    This is such a wierd game its actually quite hard to rate it. Pros:

Great PC technology demo. Nice story behind it Atmospheric at times Negatives A very linear tunnel based shooter where you almost feel the game would be happier as a movie, very little freedom of choice whatsoever. I could tell the story behind this was probably very good but the game crippled it. Had to work on feeling
    This is such a wierd game its actually quite hard to rate it. Pros:

Great PC technology demo. Nice story behind it
    Atmospheric at times

Negatives
    Had to work on feeling any immersion because it was just so linear.
  88. Mar 8, 2011
    This is one of those games that you will either be blown away by all of the attention to detail and atmosphere, or hate because of some minor flaws and unforgiving game play. It's a fine example of a story based game done good. While the story moves you along a general direction, there's plenty of room for doing it your way with the weapon choices and tactics. The game requires an extremeThis is one of those games that you will either be blown away by all of the attention to detail and atmosphere, or hate because of some minor flaws and unforgiving game play. It's a fine example of a story based game done good. While the story moves you along a general direction, there's plenty of room for doing it your way with the weapon choices and tactics. The game requires an extreme efficiency with your items on the hardest difficulty which I love. The only cons I can think of are: it is quite a resource hog, and I had an issue with my filters disappearing if I would use the load from checkpoint option sometimes, that was frustrating. Overall I really enjoy the setting and game play for Metro 2033 I wish there were more creative and unique titles like this out there. Expand
  89. Sep 4, 2011
    IMHO the best singleplayer FPS ever created (my first FPS was W3D :D ). Fantastic atmosphere , story ,gameplay, everything ... and i don't know what is more beautiful , graphics or music...
  90. Oct 15, 2011
    Great action game! There are few options to play some levels - "Rambo", stealth, hidden and mercy. Good rush I got on "expert". English voices are terrible indeed - so I assume the horror rank of game is pointed exactly to it.
  91. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is one of the masterpieces in game industry: very interesting alternative story, that has lots of common with book of the same name, but also has its own vision on events depicted in book; interesting gameplay with drops of stealth and other interesting elements; ost - marvelous.
    I really love the game and will buy sequel with no hesitation.
  92. Dec 7, 2011
    This is really awesome game with perfect ambience and story. However, the game is very short, but after beating the game you have a feeling that after reading a good book. Thanks to developers for that game. I hope the Metro Last Night will be much better !
  93. May 24, 2012
    PROS: Beautiful graphics. Amazing atmosphere. Balanced difficulty. CONS: Short length. Terrible A.I. Laughable voice-acting. Poor characterization. Linear level design. OVERALL: A creepy game with gorgeous graphics but some of the worst artificial intelligence in years. Although the journey is interesting, it doesn't last long and the voice acting and characters are as forgettable asPROS: Beautiful graphics. Amazing atmosphere. Balanced difficulty. CONS: Short length. Terrible A.I. Laughable voice-acting. Poor characterization. Linear level design. OVERALL: A creepy game with gorgeous graphics but some of the worst artificial intelligence in years. Although the journey is interesting, it doesn't last long and the voice acting and characters are as forgettable as they come. Play Metro 2033 for the atmosphere and visuals. It has little else to offer. Expand
  94. Oct 8, 2012
    the graphics are amazing for the year, and the back round? cant be better, the gameplay is indeed not the very good, its hard to save ammo and money, not many weapons avilable, and the whore at riga station stole all my money before i learned how to save and load. but... the voice acting was wonderful, the story is amazing and the graphics combined with all those things make you feel likethe graphics are amazing for the year, and the back round? cant be better, the gameplay is indeed not the very good, its hard to save ammo and money, not many weapons avilable, and the whore at riga station stole all my money before i learned how to save and load. but... the voice acting was wonderful, the story is amazing and the graphics combined with all those things make you feel like a part of the story and of the post apocaliptic world of the underground metro of moscow, even the minor details like basic talk between NPC'S and even the way the enemy soldiers talk to one another. it feels so real i played the game from start to finish without stopping , it felt like a couple of hours but i've played it for 18 hours without stop. i just cant wait for the next game, just cant! Expand
  95. Jan 5, 2013
    I bought this game for the graphics and the atmosphere, which I got. The gameplay simply isn't up to standard though, shooting enemies feels like shooting at a brick wall with a cap gun. Strange A.I and awkward difficulty changes don't help its situation either. The game does mange to raise its score because of some nice realism features and its great atmosphere.
  96. Jan 14, 2013
    A true masterpiece, I have a powerful PC, running the game on high settings smoothly, It's beautiful, immerse, and most of all realistic. This game has the best stealth combat I've seen in a game since MGS, when sneaking around hostile humanoids, you're usually forced to avoid trip wires, traps, and noise making, the game always forces you to mind your surroundings. Anyone expecting a callA true masterpiece, I have a powerful PC, running the game on high settings smoothly, It's beautiful, immerse, and most of all realistic. This game has the best stealth combat I've seen in a game since MGS, when sneaking around hostile humanoids, you're usually forced to avoid trip wires, traps, and noise making, the game always forces you to mind your surroundings. Anyone expecting a call of duty shooter will be disappointed, most guns are inaccurate, ammo is scarce, and you die very quickly. For those reasons you must try to avoid enemies, or sneak up on them and dispatch of them unaware. But the combat is never unfair, if you get gunned down by a pair of enemies, its your own fault.

The best part about the game is probably the constant spooky atmosphere. Just looking around several times I was wowed by how well the tunnel systems are lit and laid out. Encounters with ghosts were probably the best parts.
  97. Apr 25, 2011
    I think this is one of the best FPS games I`ve EVER played... The atmosphere created involves you in a way that you forget all the world around you... I think the history is quite intrigating (including the fact that there is an alternative ending based on your final actions) despite being very original. The graphics are STUPENDOUS, I just can`t play it on the highest video options evenI think this is one of the best FPS games I`ve EVER played... The atmosphere created involves you in a way that you forget all the world around you... I think the history is quite intrigating (including the fact that there is an alternative ending based on your final actions) despite being very original. The graphics are STUPENDOUS, I just can`t play it on the highest video options even with an I7 820QM, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM and 1Gb DDR5 Video Card... It`s just amazing and the price is quite fair. Congrats!!!!! Expand
  98. Jul 20, 2011
    When i first got the game I took note of how it was based off of a novel, after this, since im obsessed with games that have amazing stories, had to buy metro. After I had gotten to play it for a bit i noted how great the atmosphere was. It gave you a realistic feel of life in the metro. The gameplay had it's ups and its downs but for the most part it was quite enjoyable and challenging.When i first got the game I took note of how it was based off of a novel, after this, since im obsessed with games that have amazing stories, had to buy metro. After I had gotten to play it for a bit i noted how great the atmosphere was. It gave you a realistic feel of life in the metro. The gameplay had it's ups and its downs but for the most part it was quite enjoyable and challenging. I spent around 19 hours on the game. The visuals were just beautiful as well. Now for the bad part...As often complained about the AI is amazingly...How to put this, Retarded. Sometimes it will give you a good laugh though. You will see an enemy instantly take cover and be watchful and protective, only problem is the take cover at the wall your facing, not even in cover from you, like, kind of...right in front of you. Also don't go to it expecting the amazing story the book had, its way off. Some characters aren't included, some fates are changed....Common stuff like that. Another great thing i forgot to mention is the voice acting, its amazing.Great game to check out and it's only 20 bucks on steam. Expand
  99. Jan 4, 2011
    I'm afraid that this is one of the many great games that just happen to be misunderstood. Be it due to the close-mindedness of the reviewers, of the public, it hurts this great game. Alas, all these "western" (I don't mean western as in wild west, but as in western hemisphere) shooters have given a lot of people a "template" of what a shooter should be, and they are disappointed when theyI'm afraid that this is one of the many great games that just happen to be misunderstood. Be it due to the close-mindedness of the reviewers, of the public, it hurts this great game. Alas, all these "western" (I don't mean western as in wild west, but as in western hemisphere) shooters have given a lot of people a "template" of what a shooter should be, and they are disappointed when they see some game trying to break the various taboos. It surprises me that a brainless and common shooter that is Modern Warfare 2 could ever have a score close to Metro 2033, a unique and truly original game. What many people don't realise is that in these "eastern" shooters (STALKER and Metro 2033 being the most important representatives of this group), you are not a killing-machine, these games strive for realism. And realism means shooting a person wearing heavy armor with a shotgun having no effect ("real" shotguns are *very* weak against armor, let alone makeshift ones). Realism means that enemies don't just "forget" you're there if they don't find you in a certain period of time after they have seen you. In real life, if you screw up in stealth, there's no going back.

And all the original features this game adds to the world of mainstream gaming - the gas masks, the pneumatic weapons, the use of ammunition as a currency, a morality system based on pretty much all of your actions, all combined with a truly fantastic engine with graphics that impresses you even if you're unable to play on anything but "low". To do all this deserves praise.

Now, to address some of the negative critiques this game has been getting:

1. The only way to go about things is run'n'gun, and since that's very hard you'll die a lot - Completely and utterly false. This game is meant for a tactical approach, not running and gunning. 2. All the weapons are underpowered - Not true. These are makeshift weapons we're talking about, and even if you get a pre-apocalyptic weapon, the ammo you use is still makeshift (except if you go for military grade which is also used as currency). If you use an AK47 with military grade rounds, trust me, it won't be underpowered.

3. The levels are very linear - this one is partially correct. But for a story-based game, that's not a big issue. And not all the levels are linear, but you often won't have the will to go and risk getting killed for the sake of exploration. Why do so many people complain about linearity here, and nobody complains about it in games like Call of Duty.

Since I'm tired of writing, I'll just finish with this. Metro 2033 is a pioneer of a new sort of games, just like STALKER is. And while it will be somewhat underrated now, I believe that people will eventually realise it's true potential.

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
  3. Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.