8.1

1. Sep 3, 2011
    I loved this game! Graphics are great, story is good. You are actually involved in the "cut scenes" which keeps you in the game mentally. My only 2 complaints are:

1. It's way TOO SHORT!!! I beat it in 18 hours. I only paid $5 bucks for it, so I can't complain, but had I paid full price I would be really upset it's such a short game. Of course, that was playing on Normal mode. 2. No multiplayer or replay value. I gave this game an 8 and knocked off 2 points for my complaints above. Graphics are AWESOME with Direct X 11 on my GTX560.
  2. May 18, 2011
    Great game. Excellent story and well acted. Some of the cut scenes were a little on the lengthy side, but they are bearable. Must have first person shooter.
  3. Jul 6, 2011
    Good game, worth the money. It is short and linear but on the other hand the graphics and story are great and suck you right in. My only complaint is the mouse movement, its feels real cheap and doesn't flow like a FPS should.
  4. May 15, 2011
    Game is beautiful. Graphics is near perfection. Plot is short and simple but interesting. Weapons are exactly, what they should be ( there are no fabs, so you won't get your new polished H&K Assault Rifle straight in action ). Everything else is on its place as well. Level design is dark and tight, because unused tunnels are mostly dark and tight. With good piece of hardware this game isGame is beautiful. Graphics is near perfection. Plot is short and simple but interesting. Weapons are exactly, what they should be ( there are no fabs, so you won't get your new polished H&K Assault Rifle straight in action ). Everything else is on its place as well. Level design is dark and tight, because unused tunnels are mostly dark and tight. With good piece of hardware this game is pure pleasure to play. Expand
  5. Jan 5, 2011
    Excellent graphics, but otherwise a completely linear game with confusing and poorly designed game mechanics. The difficulty curve is like the EKG meter of someone being revived with a defibrillator. Mostly easy with a few hard spots and one incredibly frustrating escort mission. There's a stealth element that in some areas simply does not apply where you can be perfectly hidden in shadowsExcellent graphics, but otherwise a completely linear game with confusing and poorly designed game mechanics. The difficulty curve is like the EKG meter of someone being revived with a defibrillator. Mostly easy with a few hard spots and one incredibly frustrating escort mission. There's a stealth element that in some areas simply does not apply where you can be perfectly hidden in shadows and monsters just leap around the corner already attacking you. Managing weapons and ammo is rather awkward and takes a while to get used to because of their hybrid old school-new school weapons system where you can collect and trade weapons like STALKER, but have no inventory. Instead you have dedicated slots that can only hold certain types of weapons kind of like Half-life. The damage balance is completely out of whack. The first weapon you get is a revolver, and it can do more damage at any range than a shotgun can do point blank, as well as reload faster. Also, while you can sneak right up behind someone, you can't simply take them out with a backstab. You'll swipe at them with your knife and have to hit them like 4 or 5 more times. However, if someone is shooting at you from 30 feet away, you can chuck a throwing knife at their torso and kill them instantly.

There's really not much room for exploring. There's 2 or 3 sections where you can do a bit of exploring, mostly to find supplies, but the rest of the game is pretty much straight linear. For about 1/3 of the game you're being towed along by NPCs. And they like to introduce and explain interesting aspects of the game universe that are then chucked into the trash. Like they'll have a mission where you have to deal with a weird anomaly, or navigate through a room full of ghosts, but you'll have a guy explaining what's going on and what to do. You think it's a tutorial for something later, but the stuff never happens again. The stealth element of the game is nearly as bad as there's probably only 3 or 4 parts where stealth even helps.

Finally, there's no saving other than the autosave. This means that if you start a mission and find that you didn't bring the proper equipment or enough ammo, you're pretty much stuck. As mentioned, this is a linear game, and once you load another section you can never go back to where you came from. And because of the awkward weapons management, at some point you might drop your favorite gun when it runs out of ammo in favor of one you have ammo for with the intention of picking it back up, only to walk through an open door and have the screen fade to black and start the next mission, losing that gun forever.

In conclusion, this game has a lot of problems and limitations for someone spoiled on quality shooters like Fallout, STALKER, Call of Duty, Half-Life, etc... however it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on my computer. If that's enough to hold your interest, and if you have a system that can play it at high quality it might be worth picking up if you find it cheap. I just wouldn't count on ever playing it again.
  6. Dec 22, 2011
    This game has a nice detailed enviornment, good voice acting and a nice story. The only thing I don't like is how they made the shooting. On most shooting games, I have no trouble aiming and shooting. But something about the way this game is set up makes it difficult to shoot. This is probably better on console, but everything else is good about this game. 6 out of 10 is what I think thisThis game has a nice detailed enviornment, good voice acting and a nice story. The only thing I don't like is how they made the shooting. On most shooting games, I have no trouble aiming and shooting. But something about the way this game is set up makes it difficult to shoot. This is probably better on console, but everything else is good about this game. 6 out of 10 is what I think this game deserves. Expand
  7. Dec 26, 2010
    Every FPS fan should pick up this game. The attention to detail reminds me of when I first played Half-Life 2 and went...holy effing crap...I was a little upset to hear that a reviewer from X-Play claimed Fallout 3 has more depth than this game. I found Fallout 3 to be extremely repetitive and unbalanced, and boring with a crummy story. This game has none of those short commings, and theEvery FPS fan should pick up this game. The attention to detail reminds me of when I first played Half-Life 2 and went...holy effing crap...I was a little upset to hear that a reviewer from X-Play claimed Fallout 3 has more depth than this game. I found Fallout 3 to be extremely repetitive and unbalanced, and boring with a crummy story. This game has none of those short commings, and the length is well balanced too. This is game is really polished and deserves your attention and your $ Expand
  8. May 21, 2011
    I was initially put off by the system requirements, having to downgrade detail to "medium" struck my pride of having a brand new system and all. Started on it up again recently, realized that the graphics was pretty neat even on medium, and that it ran fluid, with huge fps fluctuation though, but still good.

What I initially saw as a clumsy plain fps, soon become a rich intense

What I initially saw as a clumsy plain fps, soon become a rich intense post-apocalyptic world experience with different gamestyles and solid gameplay. One of the best FPS experiences I've had since Halflife era.
  9. mpr
    Jun 2, 2011
    Astounding! The game is short and linear, but the immersion is incredible and it's totally addictive: after a few minutes I couldn't stop and just had to play the game till the end: 12 hours straight of pure awe and excitement.
  10. Jan 20, 2011
    I have to say the game is definitely astonishing because of its atmosphere, story and game play. I have finished the game on hardest difficulty and the game was challenging and fun. I am on my 2nd run on Ranger Hardcore and I think I will read the books! The only down point would be the stealth mechanism.

To be honest, I believe the game is underscored by the reviews. I think It deserves at least a 85. But I should say that my comment is based on recent play. Maybe there were a lot of fixes with the patches.
  11. Jan 20, 2011
    Metro 2033 is a linear, story-driven shooter that incorporates elements of survival and stealth. Ammunition and gas mask filters are in short supply which leads to a lot of tense moments as you struggle to complete a level having expended all supplies. Scavenging supplies from corpses and caches is essentially for survival. The gas mask is a bit of a gimmick but it does make for a sense ofMetro 2033 is a linear, story-driven shooter that incorporates elements of survival and stealth. Ammunition and gas mask filters are in short supply which leads to a lot of tense moments as you struggle to complete a level having expended all supplies. Scavenging supplies from corpses and caches is essentially for survival. The gas mask is a bit of a gimmick but it does make for a sense of urgency in the above-ground levels as you struggle to find spare filters whilst choking and nearly blinded by your fogged-up mask. The "ranger" difficulty levels eliminate the HUD so that you have to stop and bring up your inventory screen to check how much ammunition and supplies you have left. This adds to the challenge and immersion.

The stealth-oriented levels see you infiltrate hostile bases alone. You can choose to avoid detection by taking out enemies with silent weapons and carefully turning off / shooting out every source of light and using night vision goggles to find your way around. You can also choose to mount a frontal assault but this technique often leads to failure as you are quickly swamped by waves of enemies. The stealthy weapons include throwing knives, silenced guns and hand-pumped pneumatic weapons.

There are just a few gripes I have with this game. Firstly, there are issues of weapon balancing. The availability of a silenced scoped assault rifle early in the game renders the other stealth weapons relatively useless. Also, there is a particularly powerful type of enemy in one of the later levels which barely flinches after twenty shotgun blasts at close range but will drop dead from a couple of arrows fired from one of the pneumatic weapons!

There are also issues of availability of supplies. Gas mask filters may only be purchased at the first marketplace one comes across in the game. One might reasonably expect that they can replenish their short supply of filters at any of the other markets throughout the game but this is not the case. Another odd thing I noticed is that it is possible to open a supply chest and pick up six magazines to yield only three rounds of ammo. Apparently those who made these stashes only remembered to load half of the magazines they left there - and those that they did remember to load only had a single round in them!

The lack of a multiplayer mode is a shame. The game would have benefited greatly from a co-op mode similar to Left 4 Dead. Hopefully this will be incorporated into the sequel.

It pushes the envelope as far as graphics are concerned but I have to say that reports of the game being highly demanding are greatly exaggerrated. By tinkering with the settings the game ought to be playable on any computer less than about three or four years old.

Overall, the game provides a very rewarding experience for any fan of linear shooters. It also provides many novel gameplay elements to maintain the interest of those who might otherwise be bored by such linearity. I have already put well over thirty hours into this game and I'm not tired of it yet. Given that the game has been on almost perpetual discount since release I'd say it provides excellent value for money compared to most titles out there.
  12. Feb 5, 2011
    I played this game with everything maxed out except anti-aliasing on a HD6970.. and wow... the graphics were breath-taking!!!! ... The storyline, voice acting and immersion were incredible... and at times I really felt like I was playing the character as intended.... some parts were scary... some parts would have me fight for my life, at times I felt remorse or fear for allies andI played this game with everything maxed out except anti-aliasing on a HD6970.. and wow... the graphics were breath-taking!!!! ... The storyline, voice acting and immersion were incredible... and at times I really felt like I was playing the character as intended.... some parts were scary... some parts would have me fight for my life, at times I felt remorse or fear for allies and enemies... and it really painted a realistic picture of a possible future....

In all that said there were also draw backs to the game as always...
    easy mode was actually quite hard... I wouldn't play it on anything higher unless you've gone through the game at least once... ammo could sometimes be hard to find.. and gassmasks running out of air was annoying... though besides the dlema it also added a more realistic feel to the game... it wasn't like a standard FPS where everything was laid out for you on a silver platter...... also I wouldnt even recommend playing this game on xbox or playstation......

My final thoughts... for $29.99 this game is worth every cent for an immersion and experience you will not forget easily... the biggest draw back to the game is that you really NEED a decent PC to run it in all it's glory.. and not alot of people can do that.. but if you can max it out your in for one hell of a ride!
  13. Feb 14, 2011
    When first starting Metro 2033 I was anticipating a dumbed down, crummy port from Xbox 360, to be honest I have never been a fan of console ports; It usually means the controls are useless for PC.
    However I have been pleasantly surprised by Metro the controls felt perfectly fine and even though I am not really an FPS player I was able to kill something quite easy.
    My main reason for

My main reason for buying Metro 2033 however was the story and it's a good one. If we would ever look at a post apocalyptic Moscow it would look like this. The story however is a little too short but the many ways of playing certain levels still calls for a replay once or twice.

The weapons are responding exactly like you'd expect from a piece of crap constructed with materials lying around (bonus points for that). (un)fortunately the AI is so stupid that it's still quite easy to wipe a whole army of enemy soldiers with just your AK-47 type weapon.

Overall I'd say this game was worth my time and money for the great atmosphere it had and the great attention to detail both in the weapons and the usage of flashlights/night-vision.

Bad points were the AI and the short story, but if the developer learns from it's mistakes in this one, the next may be a brilliant game.
  14. Feb 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One hell of a game , i played this game 6x ,third time was the best , and played on ranger hardcore , if you want the choice at the end of this game ,play the good guy, its really amazing to play two endings, the auto shotgun is a beast , and the volt gun, buy lots of ammo , to do this sell the first volt gun , sold both volt guns , keep the third volt gun or auto shotgun,its up to you, never had so much fun playing this game, the scenes are amazing ,story is great , best game i ever played , never has one game cover all the bases , there is a price for this game , robust system , 8GB of ram ,GTX 470 SLI, if you want to see the eye candy in METRO 2033, and played it in all its glory , 34 fps at max settings , this is the price , any thing less is not acceptable . Expand
  15. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is absolutely stunning in almost anyway. The graphics are beautiful, the levels are intriguing and absorbing, the monsters look creepy and sound great, and the sound all around is just awesome. The only troubles I have found with this game is how long it takes to kill enemies and how annoying it is to find an adequate amount of munition. Doing my Normal difficulty setting playThis game is absolutely stunning in almost anyway. The graphics are beautiful, the levels are intriguing and absorbing, the monsters look creepy and sound great, and the sound all around is just awesome. The only troubles I have found with this game is how long it takes to kill enemies and how annoying it is to find an adequate amount of munition. Doing my Normal difficulty setting play through it would take 10-20 rounds from on weapon to kill an enemy. Maybe I just suck but I think that's quite ridiculous when it's only on Normal and there's more than difficulty settings. Other than that, this is a solid 9/10 Expand
  16. Mar 14, 2011
    Best looking game currently available, period. If you have an Nvidia card (and let's be honest that's what you SHOULD have if you take graphics & gaming seriously) then you HAVE to experience this gem and all it's PHYSX glory.
    ATI **** can deal with it.

This was my favorite game of the past 2 years, cannot wait for the sequel. Go buy it now.
  17. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is sadly underrated and didn't have that great of exposure, if you like SOLID single player experiences then this game is for you. Metro2033 has a interesting take on apocalypse of humanity, and it all takes place in Russia's underground railways in 2033, where everyone lives deep underground, the surface is poison and former "humans" roam the surface as grotesque mutants... TheThis game is sadly underrated and didn't have that great of exposure, if you like SOLID single player experiences then this game is for you. Metro2033 has a interesting take on apocalypse of humanity, and it all takes place in Russia's underground railways in 2033, where everyone lives deep underground, the surface is poison and former "humans" roam the surface as grotesque mutants... The take on how weapons and items work in a game is simply unique, such as a Pneumatic Rifle in which you have to pump a handle manually every 5-6 shots otherwise its like shooting paintballs at enemies. Or a flashlight you have to handcrank for more power, simply essential to be on top of your game, otherwise you find yourself fighting mutants in the dark because your flashlight ran out of juice.. constant maintenance of your weapons and items could turn a player away, thats only if you're a baby when it comes to little "quips" that people complain about...people complain way too much that a game is linear, HELL What game isn't linear and allows 100% exploration???? WHAT GAMES HAVE YOU PLAYED THAT HAD FULLY EXPLORABLE AREA IN which you could do whatever you wanted and change the pace of the game?????? UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING GTA or MAFIA II, there hasn't been a fully sandboxed FPS game in a longtime, unless you count Garrys mod but there is no story, just sandbox. The game mechanics has fails in the form of small glitches, faulty AI detection, hiding in shadows is almost useless...also invisible walls, varied bullet penetration in objects, or none whatsoever, like shooting through wood is like shooting kevlar... and hit detection on "human" AI gets annoying unless you have high grade ammo...bullets are almost like rubber when shooting their heads...besides that, Metro2033 is a very unique and engaging single player FPS with a decent story, albeit a short one, but definitely worth playing...I give it an 8 due to some poor game mechanics. Expand
  18. May 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one the best games of all time, the world is gritty and real feeling, this apocalyptic Russia will draw you in and seize you until you finish the game multiple times. The gameplay is realistic and you actually feel like your trying to survive, you will usually run out of ammo in weapons, and if your complete ammo stocks run out then we can say your screwed with your knife. This game actually kind of reminds me of Bioshock without splicers and plasmids. The mutants are primal and aggressive, and they will make you shoot like crazy. The human enemies will send you running to cover and watching your back, and the Dark Ones will send chills up your spine. 4A games outdid themselves. Expand
  19. Jun 1, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece of a game. The single most immersive game I have ever played; the graphics are absolutely beautiful, the characters are memorable, the gameplay is a breath of fresh air into the now long suffocating FPS genre (a la: Call of Duty, Halo, etc). The only thing to ward anyone off of this game would be its somewhat unrelenting difficulty at times, or specifically, oneAn absolute masterpiece of a game. The single most immersive game I have ever played; the graphics are absolutely beautiful, the characters are memorable, the gameplay is a breath of fresh air into the now long suffocating FPS genre (a la: Call of Duty, Halo, etc). The only thing to ward anyone off of this game would be its somewhat unrelenting difficulty at times, or specifically, one part; an escort type mission (If you've played it youll know what Im talking about).
    That single part of the game is the only negative thing I can think of about this game. The shooting mechanics are great, the stealth mechanics, while maybe not at the level of Splinter Cell, are reasonably good for a game not entirely bent around stealth.
    I love the use of military grade bullets as not only currency, but also as useable ammunition for your weapons, on one hand you can kill 20 enemies with just one magazine, on the other, you might not be able to buy as many new weapons, med packs, or suits the next chance you get.

I hear alot of complaints about the A.I. I personally never found the A.I. to be particularly smart or dumb, they were just your standard industry A.I. which suffered from all the industry standard issues; intelligence is no easy thing to program, and it shows; not just in Metro, but any game you will play, probably for the next 20 years or so.

As far as the guns themselves, the lower quality 'Metro made' weapons all look exactly that; thrown together with whatever spare scraps of metal are lying around, and pack an accompanying less than satisfactory punch, and even somehow manage to sound as cheap as they look. While the guns you will obtain later on are increasingly powerful and both look, and sound it. I specifically love some of the more creative home-brew guns found later on, the pneumatic rifles and such.

The story progresses at a perfect pace, allowing both the story and gameplay to unfold simultaneously and without interrupting each other. It keeps you interested, and you feel like there is a reason behind every action you must take, and are given choices throughout the game on which actions to take.

The graphics are absolutely stunning, given that you're playing it on PC, and you have a PC capable of running it at its max settings. 4A did a great job of either building the game for PC and porting it to consoles, or porting it from consoles for the PC, as it plays excellent on PC. The world is incredibly atmospheric, both in the Metro and in the destroyed wasteland that lies above.

Is this game for everyone? No. Absolutely not. People used to more run and gun games like Call of Duty (since 4 at least), Halo, Medal of Honor, etc, will likely not enjoy this type of game, though if played on the lowest difficulty, it could be played similarly. Likewise, people who play ARMAII and Operation Flashpoint type games, will likely consider the game to still be too frantic.
  20. Jun 10, 2011
    The power of that game is its color and beauty. Weak side of that game is much more complex. At first - a game concept, which delivers a bunch of different mini-games followed one after another thanks to a poor idea behind the game. Second thing is absolutely brainless monsters although most of them are pretty tough. Third one - you can not explore anything - even the biggest locations,The power of that game is its color and beauty. Weak side of that game is much more complex. At first - a game concept, which delivers a bunch of different mini-games followed one after another thanks to a poor idea behind the game. Second thing is absolutely brainless monsters although most of them are pretty tough. Third one - you can not explore anything - even the biggest locations, they'd been built there like a decoration stuff (even people). Overall game is good, it's interesting and has a lot of fun-scary moments. Worth to buy (i'm looking at the steam price now - June 2011) but not expect that Metro 2033 is a kind of a masterpiece. 7 of 10 Expand
  21. Aug 11, 2011
    Pros: Nice Story, nice setting, beautiful environments, especially those underground with poisonous gas or something popping out and also the outsides, pretty good mutant enemies and human enemies, decent assortment of weapons and weapon mods .

Cons: Heavy on any System, Rats the size of a small car, flying rats the size of a small car. Buggy AI sometimes, lack of interaction with majority of NPCs Other Comments: this game is one of those games that does not require multiplayer to sell, in fact I think having multiplayer would ruin this franchise, would have wanted more places to explore.
  22. Aug 22, 2011
    Excellent single player shooter. Mesmerizing graphics and story telling. Difficulty is pure exellence and there's a variety of options available. The only thing that keeps this game from a solid 10 is the fact that it's so linear. Buy this game, you won't regret it, the immersion is unbelievable!
  23. Sep 19, 2011
    Pure masterpiece. Once again Russian developers are showed their skills in creating games. I like story, I like graphics and most of it I like atmosphere of post-apocalyptic Russian metro. The only little bad thing is AI but it's not so terrible.
  24. Sep 17, 2011
    Really enjoyed this one. Got from Steam for $5. Well worth it. Would pay $30. Excellent graphics and great game-play made this short experience truly memorable. Its has a limited re-playability but that can be said for most FPS games. The attention to detail, the mood and overall atmosphere are top notch. Played straight through with not one single crash or noticeable bug (quite rareReally enjoyed this one. Got from Steam for $5. Well worth it. Would pay $30. Excellent graphics and great game-play made this short experience truly memorable. Its has a limited re-playability but that can be said for most FPS games. The attention to detail, the mood and overall atmosphere are top notch. Played straight through with not one single crash or noticeable bug (quite rare these days). In many ways it's more superior than the S.t.a.l.k.e.r series, due to its visuals and slightly varied game-play. A fun game! Expand
  25. May 27, 2012
    It's ok. It's a pretty well done game as far as graphics go looks good. The game is so linear though it's almost a rails-shooter. The game was optimized for consoles, PC game after (common with nearly all modern games). To make the game play better you have to go into Appdata/loca/ directory and edit the user.cfg file and turn on Vsync, POV etc. One thing that's frustrating is the AIIt's ok. It's a pretty well done game as far as graphics go looks good. The game is so linear though it's almost a rails-shooter. The game was optimized for consoles, PC game after (common with nearly all modern games). To make the game play better you have to go into Appdata/loca/ directory and edit the user.cfg file and turn on Vsync, POV etc. One thing that's frustrating is the AI and shooting. The enemy AI is pretty bad, humans are frustrating to fight because they're pretty dumb so to compensate their accuracy is set to 90% and they wallhack lol (well I guess all bots do). Fighting humans can be quite frustrating at times, and there's too much of it IMO. The monsters are well animated though, I just wish there were a bigger variety of monsters.

I do like the environment, the story is decent. All-in-all it's an ok game, I wouldn't spend more than $20 on it though.
  26. Apr 18, 2012
    A great adventure, nearly as good as HalfLife2 and very atmospheric. Great graphics and sound. Only a few small things (like empty gas filters on high difficulty and too low FieldOfView) stop it from being truly great. ~20 hours of gameplay. If you liked Half Life 2 or STALKER, You will probably like this game too.

Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 3/5, Story/Setting: 5/5, Graphics:

Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 3/5, Story/Setting: 5/5, Graphics: 5/5, Sound: 5/5, Balance/Refinement: 2/5, Controls/Interface: 2/5

WARNING: Even if you buy this as a DVD, you WILL BE FORCED TO USE "STEAM" TO PLAY. Also, if a friend happens to have just used his account on your computer, the game will link to that account when installing without warning you!
  27. AlexV
    Mar 30, 2010
    It's good and has an great setting but was very linear. You only get to explore a few stations, and I would really liked to have seen more of the other stations. Also had a slight problem with nearly all shops not selling filters and hence being perennially short having neglected to but enough at the beginning. Stealth bits were insanely difficult as others have mentioned. I would It's good and has an great setting but was very linear. You only get to explore a few stations, and I would really liked to have seen more of the other stations. Also had a slight problem with nearly all shops not selling filters and hence being perennially short having neglected to but enough at the beginning. Stealth bits were insanely difficult as others have mentioned. I would love a sequel with less linearity but that's only my preference. Expand
  28. ChristopherB
    Mar 20, 2010
    This game is fun to play and it has some good horror moments that just pops out off the darkness wich will make you jump from times to times. But theres some things in this game that give it a big turnoff wich is the really long loading time. Everytime you enter a new chapter it loads alot, even during the gameplay wich may couse you to die from some kind off lag. The game is fun and This game is fun to play and it has some good horror moments that just pops out off the darkness wich will make you jump from times to times. But theres some things in this game that give it a big turnoff wich is the really long loading time. Everytime you enter a new chapter it loads alot, even during the gameplay wich may couse you to die from some kind off lag. The game is fun and worth buying but I whould rather wait for some price drop. Christopher B Expand
  29. AymenH
    Mar 30, 2010
    A nasty demand on your computer since Supreme Commander, an eerie atmosphere broken by the grenade you just tossed into the woodwork, a nice take on stealth and Russian vodka throws this game off my pirate list and onto my FREAKIN' BUY list. Shame on myself and those who pirate this great game. A something to improve this game would be a multiplayer freeroam DLC.
  30. DanielA
    Mar 17, 2010
    The game seems to suffer from a few minor glitches that makes fighting enemies more challenging and slight animation problems, but despite that this may be one of the best single player fps to come out in a long time. A tight script and ever interesting challenges make the game always intriguing and always gives something new for you to do, and more than that something new for you to want The game seems to suffer from a few minor glitches that makes fighting enemies more challenging and slight animation problems, but despite that this may be one of the best single player fps to come out in a long time. A tight script and ever interesting challenges make the game always intriguing and always gives something new for you to do, and more than that something new for you to want to do. With beautiful locations and a great atmosphere, I highly suggest this game to anyone whose computer is able to handle it. It's a resource hog however even on the lowest settings this game still looks amazing, and plays that way too. This game is easily an 8.5 out of 10 and a small patch away from a 9 at least. Expand
  31. Nabycco
    Mar 21, 2010
    The story-plot, graphic details and believable environment make this game great worthwhile your time. It does put fear into the player in parts. However, I was a little disappointed by the short length. Features such as trading, item discovery, what you would expect and want from such a game are unfortunately non existent. The stations (e.g. Polis) are beautifully build, yet you have no The story-plot, graphic details and believable environment make this game great worthwhile your time. It does put fear into the player in parts. However, I was a little disappointed by the short length. Features such as trading, item discovery, what you would expect and want from such a game are unfortunately non existent. The stations (e.g. Polis) are beautifully build, yet you have no chance to explore them. It would be nice to see some side-quests, despite it being a linear ego shooter. For that, mutents are part of the story, but it would have been a better if they were a little easier to get rid off. Having to fight a swarm of easy to kill mutants rather than one who the player has to shoot 20 times before he falls would add more thrill and taken the annoyance. A stronger AI and and giving ammunition a little more strength would create great firefights, adding to the game. Additionally, yet again we are back to the Far Cry mistake of checkpoint savings... this is not fun, but really annoying... Especially in the D6 complex... Overall, It is a fun and story driven game that has its flaws. I am happy I played it, but doubt that I will replay it in the near future as it is missing that little bit of variation. Expand
  32. Dec 20, 2011
    Awesome ambiance/atmosphere (which is the reason you should buy this game) then, decent story, so-so gunfights, lovely monsters.
    Arthom (the main character) is one you will not forget soon, even if he is not that charismatic, the game is and that renders the hero charismatic too. kinda.
    The lifetime is poor (you can finish the game in 5hours, maybe even less if you rush), but the game is really intense and you can find it at a really low price now on, its really worth your money.
  33. Sep 9, 2010
    I started this game with not so much expectation, but i was surprised on how great of a game this is! It holds a great atmosphere and manages to give a real feeling you are in a nuclear holocaust Russia, when played on the highest graphic settings the game shows some great eye candy, only the human faces look sterile and dead in their eyes... I enjoyed the overall length of the game, notI started this game with not so much expectation, but i was surprised on how great of a game this is! It holds a great atmosphere and manages to give a real feeling you are in a nuclear holocaust Russia, when played on the highest graphic settings the game shows some great eye candy, only the human faces look sterile and dead in their eyes... I enjoyed the overall length of the game, not too short, not too long...

The game does hold some flaws, the enemy A.I can be considered idiotic, from enemies who will take cover next to your ally or take cover just in front of you... The amount of weapons found in the game are meager and nothing to write to home about. The strongest rifles can be bought at stations but since this is a nuclear world and money does no longer exists, bullets have become currency, but you need every bullet you can find to survive so getting that nifty sniper rifle is not happening any time soon. The creatures also seem to have a strange way of attacking you, they charge and than seem to go straight through you, making you go nuts on where the heck they are! A disappointment for this game is there is no multiplayer component at all! This could have given the game a allot longer lifespan...

But overall its a great game to enjoy if you have some money to spare, and looking how the game ends, expect some DLC or a part two in the future...
  34. Oct 31, 2010
    Great game! I like the gloomy atmosphere and the totality of how they perform on the story. Through many small clip several times and stories during loading. But get 8 points instead of 10 because of stupid AI and few weapons.
  35. Dec 23, 2010
    With Metro 2033, forget about FPS/RPG mix, or sandbox and tricky puzzle, here we are talking simple horror survival FPS, with some good/bad alignment for alternative ending and stealth/shotgun choice to make at some point. We are also talking about a nice story (despite the fact I do not like the normal ending), with interesting characters and a very immersive environment, where the lifeWith Metro 2033, forget about FPS/RPG mix, or sandbox and tricky puzzle, here we are talking simple horror survival FPS, with some good/bad alignment for alternative ending and stealth/shotgun choice to make at some point. We are also talking about a nice story (despite the fact I do not like the normal ending), with interesting characters and a very immersive environment, where the life of those people is rendered in tiny details. The graphics? Top notch of course, but you need a good gear to get it. Still, while the underground is pure awesomeness, I found the exterior graphics just so-so, fallout 3 like, forget about S.T.A.L.K.E.R and the sequel. Hopefully you don t go up often, as the main character say himself, underground is your real home and it is not safe at all up thereâ Expand
  36. Nov 15, 2010
    Very good game. No glitches, lagg or anything. The guy who said that it's too hard and gave it a 6 should quit gaming. I finished the game in 8 hours and found it difficult but far from impossible or too hard. I agree that A.I isn't the best because you can easily "fool" them. It only takes common sense to manage well your ammo. Great experience, one of the best single players in a long time.
  37. Nov 5, 2011
    A must buy!

Can't understand ppl who is not into this game, if they like RPG and singleplayer. It has a decent story line. It has AWESOME graphics, even with low settings. It has good alternative enemies, and weapons. Cant wait for LAst light to come out.
  38. Jul 13, 2012
    Metro 2033 is a very atmospheric first person shooter/action game but unfortunately this game is hugely hampered by bad presentation. The visual effects of this game is quite impressive especially the lighting which really created a very realistic dark underground environment. The texture and character models are also great as well. The animations are also very well done and feel veryMetro 2033 is a very atmospheric first person shooter/action game but unfortunately this game is hugely hampered by bad presentation. The visual effects of this game is quite impressive especially the lighting which really created a very realistic dark underground environment. The texture and character models are also great as well. The animations are also very well done and feel very smooth. The story is decent enough but the problem with the presentation is the most levels you run through just feel like fillers rather than any actual meaning. And most characters are so generic and pointless most time. you feel like they are there just to progress the story. The pacing of this game is also a little off most time since it just feels so full of pointless fillers. Gameplay wise, the difficulty of this game gets very inconsistent. The stealth mechanics is so broken that you will found some levels brutally hard. I personally just do not enjoy this game that much. if you are looking for a thriller FPS experience I would recommend Bioshock 1 and 2 instead. Expand
  39. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best storyline-driven game i have ever played. it just draws you in with the incredible atmosphere, and extremely creepy and depressing setting.
    I understand what people are saying about this game not being polished enough, however. There are very fixable issues with it that just infuriate me as a gamer - such as many items (specifically air filters) not being pickup-able. This should have been caught in testing, and is pretty annoying. Other things like when the kid is on your back in "child" seem like bugs, but are not - even so the input lag on "child" is beyond annoying. Should have been left out.
    If you can get past the obvious faults, this is truly one of the best first person shooters ever. It is not supposed to be call of duty - and if that is what you are looking for then look elsewhere. It is a deep plotline thriller, which tries to really get to the heart of what it would be like after a nuclear apocalypse. I have never played a game with more deeply moved and disturbed me at the same time.
    Give this game a shot!
    As a sidenote - you absolutely need a cutting edge system to play this game, and if you do it will reward you. The DX11 textures are totally amazing - even on low settings. However, to play this game on high settings you basically need 2 graphics cards, or 1 $500 graphics card. Not the designers fault, but the price of entry is pretty high.
    Loved this game, i can't wait for the sequel!!!
  40. Jan 15, 2012
    Metro 2033 is the most unoptimized, sluggish game I've ever played in terms of graphical fidelity. Crysis runs better than this, and I have a pretty good rig. It's a fun game, but boy does it eviscerate GPUs.
  41. Nov 8, 2011
    The thing I liked most about this game was the environments. The atmosphere, lighting, and level designs came together for an immersive experience. Having said that, the rest of the game is very mediocre. The plot, game mechanics, and UI all work, but none are very interesting nor do they seem fresh. Overall, not much stands out, it is neither terrible nor great, just mediocre. I got it onThe thing I liked most about this game was the environments. The atmosphere, lighting, and level designs came together for an immersive experience. Having said that, the rest of the game is very mediocre. The plot, game mechanics, and UI all work, but none are very interesting nor do they seem fresh. Overall, not much stands out, it is neither terrible nor great, just mediocre. I got it on sale for about $20 and I think I got my money's worth. Expand
  42. Sep 21, 2013
    Overall a pretty good story-based shooter. It's a very well unified game. Game play is blended with environment almost seamlessly. Attention to detail and attempts at realism are relatively impressive and a compliment to the player's intelligence. The game feels a bit like an art house movie, though with considerable input from the player.

Although I've played the game through only

Although I've played the game through only once, I doubt that the replay value is very high. The game is very linear, and although there is exploration you end up doing the same thing each time. The game has some rpg elements, and it's too bad it didn't have more. It would have made sense to add dialog options for example. The animations could also use some work, especially for some of the enemies. When they come at you the frame rate tends to drop too much.

Still, I recommend this one, and I'm definitely getting the sequel.
  43. Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a fan of RPG games and shooters. Metro wants to be a mixture but the RPG part really is sad. Ok, you really feel knoiw what you are supposed to feel: lonelyless, fear of the dark, etc. but the atmo is really not thaaat good. it's a fair middle class shooter and if you loved stalker you probably gonna like his game. i hated stalker, mostly because of controls and because you didn'ntI'm a fan of RPG games and shooters. Metro wants to be a mixture but the RPG part really is sad. Ok, you really feel knoiw what you are supposed to feel: lonelyless, fear of the dark, etc. but the atmo is really not thaaat good. it's a fair middle class shooter and if you loved stalker you probably gonna like his game. i hated stalker, mostly because of controls and because you didn'nt feel to belong into the storyline. it's not really "bugs" that make stalker and metro a "middle class" game, it's more that sometimes you don't know where to go because the game didn't tell you properly or you reach a station (shelter/base) and you leave after 2 minutes because the story continues not caring of what you wanna do. after all i don't really regret buying it, but if you payed more then 10 bugs you got screwed, since the game surely has the capability of beeing a cool shooter but does not take its chances. Expand
  44. Nov 4, 2011
    Great game, but save system kills exploration, and exploration is key to getting "money". I would also love to try different approaches to the maps, as you can sometimes get through them several different ways, but having to replay the last 10 min kills that idea too....
  45. Jun 2, 2012
    I'm not sure if my review is biased because I love the book (which I read first) but I definitely found this game a wonderful experience, and after the first playthough I replayed it with Russian voiceovers, which definitely added to the atmosphere of the game.
    The immersion was really strong and the game was able to scare me a lot during the gameplay, also the graphics are very nice and do the job of creating a melancholic and fearful apocalyptic world very well. I just wish they where better optimized to play better in a mid range system like mine.

I could give it a 10 but I wanted a bit more freedom, I was imagining to be able to explore abandoned stations and other places I read in the book and not to be that story restricted to where I can go or not. I also expected it to be bigger since there are a lot of events from the book that I wanted to experience in game as well.
    Also the sound system failed completely with dialogs in my setup of 5.1 speakers and I had to configure the system in stereo to be able to hear the dialogs, as I found out it was a common problem with that setup and I just don't understand why they never released a patch to fix that.
  46. Nov 29, 2011
    Yes, the game is pretty and extremely pretty at that. The game however wants the player to go and explore and find ammunition or weapons to help the player on their journey. Metro 2033's level design is opposite of open, its as linear as Call of Duty, making finding ammo and weapons as easy as following you're A.I. companion. The games atmosphere and story are very good, It's is very easyYes, the game is pretty and extremely pretty at that. The game however wants the player to go and explore and find ammunition or weapons to help the player on their journey. Metro 2033's level design is opposite of open, its as linear as Call of Duty, making finding ammo and weapons as easy as following you're A.I. companion. The games atmosphere and story are very good, It's is very easy to get sucked in to the experience. Expand
  47. Dec 22, 2011
    The environment/atmosphere is outstanding. It is detailed, realistic,supernatural, scary and sucks you into the story that accompanies it. The human characters and the 'mutants' are well modelled however the one thing I was expecting but didn't come across is the presence of zombies. I would imagine if there are mutated animals (ie: monsters) there will also be mutated or 'infected' humansThe environment/atmosphere is outstanding. It is detailed, realistic,supernatural, scary and sucks you into the story that accompanies it. The human characters and the 'mutants' are well modelled however the one thing I was expecting but didn't come across is the presence of zombies. I would imagine if there are mutated animals (ie: monsters) there will also be mutated or 'infected' humans too (ie:zombies), but zombies are missing from this game . What a shame :/ The AI characters that help you to progress with the story can act really dumb sometimes. For example, in one of the missions ('Lost Tunnel') your AI buddy Bourbon tells you to waste the guards in the next room while he hides and waits behind some crates (hmm.. rhyme). To take down the guards you can either use stealth (by throwing knives) or go 'lock and load' and fill them with lead (although you are strongly advised to NOT waste your ammo). After successfully achieving the objective, nothing happened. I walked back to where Bourbon went to hide and he was still there, with no intention to continue with the story/mission. Have I done something wrong? After a few minutes of me running around and trying to find more ammo among the guards' dead bodies, Bourbon realised that the area is clear and it is safe to move out. Also, this game doesn't use the kind of AI that follows you around. It's the opposite. If you stray off to some other tunnel to find some ammo or another gas mask, you may have a difficulty locating your AI buddy. However, there is always the objective notepad which you can have a look at in case you are lost. It has a compass that points you in the right direction. But what am I doing, this is supposed to be a mini-review , not a guide... I just read few reviews on here (MetaCritics, literally, just now) and some people say it's not very realistic and that the gun physics suck and things like that. Well, all throughout the game you are reminded how precious the ammunition is (it serves as money too). That implies you are better off using knives (against human enemies anyway). Of course there are situations in which you can only use firearms but even in those cases you should always use single shots to incapacitate the enemy. Note that it usually take 3-6 bullets to kill an enemy, depending on the type of ammo you are using. The point I am making is that the game encourages the player to use stealth to accomplish tasks, therefore guns weren't given much attention to by the developers. Some people have to understand and appreciate what this game is about. It's about survival. Not, wasting resources (i.e.: ammo). (We do that enough in the present. Maybe that's one of the moral points the game is making. How humanity kept wasting resources until it wasted itself.) I played 9 hours straight and still haven't completed it so I can say I got my money's worth (bought it for à Collapse
  48. Aug 20, 2012
    A very underrated shooter, this apocalyptic FPS focuses more on story and environment than just running and gunning found in other games like CoD. Admittedly, this game is very linear and the voice actors' Russian accents are laughably bad in pretty much all cases. However, the story is very engrossing, even with the terrible voice actors. The weapons are kinda tricky in the fact thatA very underrated shooter, this apocalyptic FPS focuses more on story and environment than just running and gunning found in other games like CoD. Admittedly, this game is very linear and the voice actors' Russian accents are laughably bad in pretty much all cases. However, the story is very engrossing, even with the terrible voice actors. The weapons are kinda tricky in the fact that there are tons of random upgrades you can get for a particular weapon at any point. However you can find the best guns in stores across the cities you come too. I think the main thing with this game is the fact that it's fairly slow. Your not given much more than a quest to leave your home and family by a total stranger to start your journey and it takes a bit to ramp up. Furthermore, this game got zero publicity, making it a relative unknown on the FPS market. I bought this game for 5 bucks on Steam and I would have easily paid 20-30 dollars knowing what I know now. And with the sequel coming out later this year, it gives FPS games a different feel from all your CoD and Battlefield games. This is a thinking person's FPS game and I really enjoyed it in the end. If you let the game engross you in it's story and atmosphere, you won't regret a second of playing it and you'll easily want more from this series. While it's not perfect, there are very few FPS games out there like this and, for the tons of sales this games has on the various sites like Amazon and on Steam, it should be a no-brainer for anyone who likes FPS games but aren't into the guns-a-blazing style that most FPS games turn into. Expand
  49. Dec 27, 2011
    This game was fantastic. The atmosphere, the stealth, the immersion and the combat were all amazing. I don't have many words to describe how satisfying the ending was. What has been annoying me here is far too many people complaining about how the game was "too hard" I played this thing on Ranger Hardcore on my first run through. No Hud , No hp bar, no real inventory, you get nothing andThis game was fantastic. The atmosphere, the stealth, the immersion and the combat were all amazing. I don't have many words to describe how satisfying the ending was. What has been annoying me here is far too many people complaining about how the game was "too hard" I played this thing on Ranger Hardcore on my first run through. No Hud , No hp bar, no real inventory, you get nothing and you die in 1-2 bullets, All you have to do is plan your attacks and realize you don't always have to fight. No single person can take 4-6 guys all with guns on their own. Seriously if this game is too hard for you go back to playing COD on your Xbox. Expand
  50. Jan 21, 2012
    I LOVED THIS GAME! The story, setting, environment, etc. are all amazing! I cannot stress how amazing I found the game. I loved it so much I recommended it and even bought it and sent it as a gift to some of my friends. They all said the same thing, that they loved it. I really wish that they had made it into more of a sandbox, but it's still awesome as it is. I also liked the realism andI LOVED THIS GAME! The story, setting, environment, etc. are all amazing! I cannot stress how amazing I found the game. I loved it so much I recommended it and even bought it and sent it as a gift to some of my friends. They all said the same thing, that they loved it. I really wish that they had made it into more of a sandbox, but it's still awesome as it is. I also liked the realism and how they used military grade ammo as currency, so you had to choose between a gun with good ammo or to spend it on gear and have crappy ammo. I also loved how above ground that you had to wear a gas mask and had to use filters that slowly ran out, and that it's not like some games where your gear deteriorates, but instead when you get shot, it slowly cracks and your filters aren't as effective. The only thing I did not like about it was that when I was above ground, I was low on filters and my game auto-saved just a few seconds before I died, but eventually I got out of my problem by using a few tricks so I didn't have to go back like an hour or so to when my last save was. I also thought that it should have a multiplayer. But other than that, it was awesome! I even bought the books and preordered Last Light because it was amazing. So if you want a new and exciting experience, buy it! Expand
  51. Feb 9, 2012
    I think this is one of the best story lines that I've ever played. At first the graphics seemed to be really rough on my video card. The game just doesn't run smooth on my video card on some cut scenes. However, i cannot take away the fact that the graphics are just astonishing. There is so much detail in every mission, not to mention the character detail is outstanding. Now it is time toI think this is one of the best story lines that I've ever played. At first the graphics seemed to be really rough on my video card. The game just doesn't run smooth on my video card on some cut scenes. However, i cannot take away the fact that the graphics are just astonishing. There is so much detail in every mission, not to mention the character detail is outstanding. Now it is time to explain the bad parts of the game. First of all, the AI is incredibly difficult on any difficulty higher than "normal". I played on "Ranger Easy" the first few chapters. I found it very dissapointing the AI could fire 3 rounds into my cover and once i killed them, they only had 1-5 bullets. I later switched to easy because of the difficulties of completing one of the missions and found the game to still be a bit challenging, but easy enough to entertain me. I did not like the fact that the AI on harder difficulties could fire "Through my cover". I also found it amusing that i could empty a mag point blank into a bot and them get right back up and hit me with a few bullets to end my mission. That problem could be changed by lowering the difficulty though. The one thing that made me really upset to see is the ending to such a great story line go up in flames. This had to have been the worst ending a game could have. I cannot ruin it for people without the game, but it is rather disappointing. I'll also add that the levels are completely linear. Now, this is not a big issue because the game still sucked you right in. I hardly even noticed. I wish they could have added many more rooms/lockers that you could check for collectibles and pick-ups for. This is me critiquing, so it is a rather harsh review. To sum this game up, it is one of the best games I've ever played. I got it for $4.99 on Steam Sale. It is $19.99 on Steam currently. I think it is definitely worth $19.99. If i might also add: To the people who gave it 1/10 for a rating, most of your explanations are utterly stupid and there should be no reason you are allowed to bring the score of this game down. I found the one that said "I paid $5 for this game and after 5 minutes i wanted my money back" very entertaining. Any gamer knows you cannot judge a game in the first 5 minutes, especially this one since it builds up rather slow. The one that mentioned that this game was obviously made for consoles and gave it one star. I agree, they did make it a console game, but they did a fantastic job turning it into a PC game. Expand
  52. Mar 19, 2012
    This is single player First Person Shooter game. It is set in a post apocalypse Russia. This is not a typical game for its genre, but is one who give some importance to realistic situations, like gas masks filters and low quality ammo. The game also focus in almost all its content on stealth gameplay when possible. You are fighting against some kind of demons or monsters, and you haveThis is single player First Person Shooter game. It is set in a post apocalypse Russia. This is not a typical game for its genre, but is one who give some importance to realistic situations, like gas masks filters and low quality ammo. The game also focus in almost all its content on stealth gameplay when possible. You are fighting against some kind of demons or monsters, and you have to make your way from one point to another by the subterranean metro system of destroyed Russia. Aiming is a little bit difficult in this game, but it is compensated by the beautiful graphics it have. Artistically speaking, this is a dark game, you are constantly moving in the dark in the post apocalyptic bloody metro tunnels, which are full of surprises, creatures and supernatural mysteries. Even on easy this game can be difficult, and you will occasionally get mad by some glitches, like the inability to find filters for your gas mask. You will fight with assault rifles, shotguns and pistols and several original pressure pumped weapons. You have a flashlight.....wish you will have to manually charge their batteries at least once every few minutes, so try to keep it charge, you don't want to be in those tunnels with a discharge flashlight battery. Expand
  53. May 3, 2012
    Eines der Atmosphärischsten Spiele-Welten die selten zuvor mit so viel Liebe zum Detail eingefangen wurde ! Die Welt ziht einen Förmlich in die super erzählte Geschichte hinein, und man wird sehr stimmig bei der Sache gehalten . Man erlebt Artjom sehr hautnah und authentisch . Es macht einfach ''spaÃ
  54. Jul 20, 2012
    Don't listen to the low reviews. This game is one of the best shooters I own and I love playing it. It runs beautifully on any system (I first played it on a laptop with integrated graphics and it ran at or above 30 fps on low definition which still looked good). The enemy AI is a little dumbed down but that doesn't take away from the fun. As to the AI always knowing where you are, in someDon't listen to the low reviews. This game is one of the best shooters I own and I love playing it. It runs beautifully on any system (I first played it on a laptop with integrated graphics and it ran at or above 30 fps on low definition which still looked good). The enemy AI is a little dumbed down but that doesn't take away from the fun. As to the AI always knowing where you are, in some situations you have to use stealth. You have to watch where you walk, step on broken glass and they hear you. Shoot out the lights and they won't see you unless they have a flashlight or night vision. Yeah it's linear but that's what the FPS genre is. 95% of FPS games are linear. I don't see why people have a problem with this, who cares if you're going in one direction? The controls work very well even if it's a console port. All these people complaining that it's a console port need to get over it and realize that it's still a fantastic game. This game was well worth the $5 I paid during a Steam sale and honestly I think it's well worth the $20 price tag. 8/10 because there isn't much replay value due to a lack of multiplayer. Definitely not a disappointment though. It may not be a blockbuster title like Call of Duty or Halo, but it is still a great shooter that shouldn't be overlooked. Expand
  55. Apr 6, 2013
    This is one of the best game I have ever played. The last time I said this is when I finished Half-Life2, but even HL2 didn't manged to get a 10 out of me, in many respect, I believe Metro2033 even exceed HL2's accomplishments.

Metro has some of the best graphic engine I've seen in years, IMO even Cryengine couldn't compete with the 4A engine which Metro 2033 uses. The lighting and texture are extremely well done, volumtric lighting and fog effect are also very good, it makes the whole world looks extremely convincing. The sub-surface scattering effect on character's skin makes people looks much more believable, unlike in some other games people tend to looks like plastic dolls.

The story is also it's strong point, since it's adapted from a sci-fi novel, but it has a little twist of it's own while still retains the feel of the novel. I bought the novel after finishing the game, it' will definetly gives you a new perspective on the story.

Combat and AI seems a bit strange and unresponsive at first glance but after I know more about the game, I understand the clumsiness I feel during combat is also part of a story setting. You are not a superhero, you are a survivor in a post apocalyptic world, trying to fighting off monsters and fellow humans while carrying a sort of equipment and ammo, of course you don't move and shoot like a Call of Duty character.

In conclusion, all I can saying is Buy this game, play it, if you learn to appreciate it, this will be one of the most immersive gaming experience you will ever have.
  56. Aug 24, 2010
    A perfectly good game ruined by one of the worst AI's I've seen in a major release in 10 years. Yes the system requirements are steep, but it is pretty. I don't know any games with interiors this good. I was sort of shocked how far down I had to turn settings for it to run acceptably on a 460 GTS. I also had horrible sound issues. I can't complain about the price since I got it fromA perfectly good game ruined by one of the worst AI's I've seen in a major release in 10 years. Yes the system requirements are steep, but it is pretty. I don't know any games with interiors this good. I was sort of shocked how far down I had to turn settings for it to run acceptably on a 460 GTS. I also had horrible sound issues. I can't complain about the price since I got it from the THQ pack on Steam. Almost no replay values past the two endings. More of a horror show than a horror game. Although it does have more in common with Stalker the movie than the Stalker game does. Expand
  57. Sep 3, 2011
    Nothing more than an average quality fps. Not much of a story, just save your home station, thats it. You can't interact with much just the odd door and a couple of ammo crates, people and monsters just walk straight through you. Graphics are quite underwhelming, the people look quite good but the environment is daubed in poor low res textures (don't be fooled into thinking because aNothing more than an average quality fps. Not much of a story, just save your home station, thats it. You can't interact with much just the odd door and a couple of ammo crates, people and monsters just walk straight through you. Graphics are quite underwhelming, the people look quite good but the environment is daubed in poor low res textures (don't be fooled into thinking because a game uses dx11 it should automatically look good). I was expecting the game to be scary but it just wasn't i'm not sure why, just wasn't. Perhaps because the enemy isn't very tough or difficult to defeat. I won't knock the game like others have for being linear because it's set mainly in the Moscow Metro system so is hardly going to free roaming. Expand
  58. Nov 11, 2010
    Well, this game had great potential! The storyline is interesting, the graphics are amazing and the A.I. SUCKS!!!!!!!!! While there are certainly other things that could have been improved, the game would have been much better had you been able to survive the firefights. Probably I just suck, but the fact that I had it on Easy and STILL could not get away from the bots is a bit ridiculous.Well, this game had great potential! The storyline is interesting, the graphics are amazing and the A.I. SUCKS!!!!!!!!! While there are certainly other things that could have been improved, the game would have been much better had you been able to survive the firefights. Probably I just suck, but the fact that I had it on Easy and STILL could not get away from the bots is a bit ridiculous. On easy, it would still take over a clip to kill a monster (for those who have played, the biomass spawners were the worst...), and the scarcity of ammo, unless you found every little stash, was quite annoying. Now I wouldn't complain about these things if I didn't have the setting on EASY, but when there are 6 difficulty levels, the bottom one should be a piece of cake. Besides that, the AI use ESP, or something! I will use an example that occurred when I was sneaking across the front lines into enemy territory. A car comes down the tunnel, and you must hide in the shadows as it passes. When it reaches the end of the tunnel, it sees a bunch of dead bodies from a previous battle (you have a choice of fighting or sneaking in this level, I ended up fighting). Instantly, the car reverses up the track, somehow knowing I am hiding in the shadows, and starts firing from a machine gun turret, even though THERE IS NO WAY THEY SHOULD KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I AM!!! Issues like this happened again and again, and it really got annoying, to the point where I almost didn't finish the game. It was a challenge just to kill someone silently, because, EVEN ON EASY, one shot head shots were near impossible. If it took two, the whole base instantly knew you were there and exactly where. In addition, the auto save screwed me over more than once when, while trying to run away from the crazy smart AI, I tripped an auto save, and thus every time I reloaded, I was in the middle of a firefight. The only solution was to restart the map. So, if you can handle the graphics, this game is a beautiful game, and quite interesting to explore (what little of it you can). However, if you are looking for a good shooter where you can feel like you're playing with normal humans and creatures, not mensa candidates, don't waste your time. It has little replay value, not a great number of weapons, and is more annoying than fun. You litterally watch more cut scenes than play. Expand
  59. Dec 19, 2010
    I enjoyed some aspects of the game. The story was intriguing and the gameplay was decent, but I found myself frustrated time and time again. I found that they barely give you enough to get by, but sometimes you have to look for it... The auto-save is a terrible feature that has put me in a number of bad situations. All too often I found myself in what felt like a no-chance scenario andI enjoyed some aspects of the game. The story was intriguing and the gameplay was decent, but I found myself frustrated time and time again. I found that they barely give you enough to get by, but sometimes you have to look for it... The auto-save is a terrible feature that has put me in a number of bad situations. All too often I found myself in what felt like a no-chance scenario and after many, many, deaths I found my way out of the situation. I was surprised to find that it ran so well on my outdated system. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2011
    This game runs really poorly, and the gameplay ishonestly the worst part of the game, however the environment and story are really well done, however if you want a post apocolyptic nuclear wateland game, go Fallout.
  61. Jan 2, 2011
    O jogo é realmente muito bom! Os gráficos, a história e o combate são excelentes.
    Este é um jogo que difere da maioria dos FPS atuais:A Munição é limitada, logo você tem que ser muito preciso quando for atirar. Além disso, o nível de dificuldade é altíssimo, os inimigos não erram um tiro (sem falar dos monstros que aparecem toda hora!!!). Há muito tempo que eu não jogava um jogo desse nível(o último foi o HL2). A tensão é constante, os sustos também. Recomendo este jogo para quem está na busca por um FPS desafiante, com excelentes gráficos, enredo e história!
  62. Mar 14, 2011
    The main focus of this game seems to be atmosphere so if you play games for this reason set the difficult to easy, smoke a bowl and enjoy. If you want great enemy AI, balance rpg elements, and well paced gameplay then this is really not the game for you. I wanted to love Metro because I loved the first STALKER but this game tries to be too many things. I only enjoyed a third of this game.The main focus of this game seems to be atmosphere so if you play games for this reason set the difficult to easy, smoke a bowl and enjoy. If you want great enemy AI, balance rpg elements, and well paced gameplay then this is really not the game for you. I wanted to love Metro because I loved the first STALKER but this game tries to be too many things. I only enjoyed a third of this game. If you buy this game expecting a hardcore gaming experience you will be disappointed. Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Such potential, but this game was obviously incomplete...
    Pros:
    -Amaxing DX11 rendered backgrounds and scenes. -High quality sounds (except voices)
    -Innovative usage of equipment
    -Decently designed missions
    -Nice story
    -Some moments that can actually scare you! Havent been this immersed in an environment since doom 3.
    -Realistic reloading. I like that it takes some time to reload your guns. Not all people are bill drill experts.
    Cons:
    -Character models suck...I mean the people look really bad compared to other modern games
    -Enemies lack enough movement animations. The only mob they spent a lot of time on you only interact with a couple of times (gargoyle like demon).
    -Very linear game, I knew I wasnt buying Fallout, but I got Contra.
    -Too many slow points mixed with a few overwhelming combat scenes. Should have been more smaller encounters.
    -Never fight a mixture of enemies, they are all the same within a given area (except 1 case).
    -Really bad AI. Stealth modes are so black and white, you either are stealthed or EVERY enemy knows where you are. Allies are idiots, the only good help you will get is in the defense of one station.
    -Voice acting is meh...but the voice audio is so much worse. You cannot hear the NPCs without cranking the volume. -Can only interact with certain NPCs
    -Some items can only be picked up under certain circumstances (filters, masks)
    -Holding keys for commands? We have keyboards, there needs to be much more options for button mapping. Game was clearly designed for consoles.
    -SPOILER: Story of 'dark ones' felt useless...was too vague throughout the game yet came to a head in the last 10 minutes of the game. Kinda like when a publisher has to cram it all in to the end of a book (coincidence?) Game could have totally done without them.

In short, dont give in to the hype; the graphics are amazing if you can run them, but this game was simply not ready to be released. If you can get it for half price, grab it, because it cerrtainly has some amazing redeeming qualities that make it a must play...just dont go around telling everyone it is worth every penny.
  64. Apr 27, 2011
    I caught this on steam for 10 bucks. It's not worth 20. The gameplay is very bland, an FPS with a tiny upgrade economy thrown in. The complaints about AI are valid. Shadow cover and silencers are in the game, but it's all blown as soon as you kill the first enemy in the area.
    It does have pretty good art and graphics. The monsters are very ugly and even a little scary. The use of suspense isn't overdone like an annoying horror movie, though. The storyline is interesting but the ending is kinda meh. The amount of content is about right for the price. Buy it on sale, beat it over a weekend and move on.
  65. Oct 25, 2010
    OK first let me say it is a very rich subject matter with a wide range of detailed play. The down side is its glitched to the point you want to shot yourself in the head. It seems to never move in any direction the limited story line and falls short of top performers but I still liked it and would play again sometime. I wish I could give it more but its just not there
  66. Dec 26, 2012
    I got this game as a free facebook promotion. But free does not a good game make. It's a last gen 1st person shooter with a terrible premise and filled with terrible generic Russian accents. It's based on a post apocalyptic world that values only ammo. For some reason there are "higher quality" rounds that are not used for ammo but used for currency. This is an interesting idea, but theI got this game as a free facebook promotion. But free does not a good game make. It's a last gen 1st person shooter with a terrible premise and filled with terrible generic Russian accents. It's based on a post apocalyptic world that values only ammo. For some reason there are "higher quality" rounds that are not used for ammo but used for currency. This is an interesting idea, but the very idea that there are rounds of ammo that are being conserved for monetary use is ridiculous. Ammo is ammo. And the very idea that so is good that it's not actually used is absurd. Further, gameplay is bulky and uninspired. The stealth gameplay is boring and clunky. Options are limited as far as combat. Plus the arsenal just isn't useful. It's a terrible game, even if it is free. Expand
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm another one of those mercenary types that picked this up for $5 on Steam - what I should have done is spent the money on a box of nails, and hammered them into my feet _because that would be more enjoyable than this game_. Let me explain myself - I only ever play games in the hardest possible difficulty, in this case, Hardcore mode. There are a number of glitches & game mechanic inconsistancies that render the game unfair in some cases. I don't mind linear gameplay ("on rails" indeed), I don't mind a small weapon set, I don't mind ammo being in short supply, I'm even willing to overlook the cardboard cutout NPCs in the game. The atmosphere of the game makes for a strong enough story & the locations are generally pretty interesting. Tip: play the game in Russian, with subtitles. Much better than the accented english. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways: 1) Get the HELL offa my lawn! (aka out of my bounding box). When the game is full of creatures that only have melee attacks, it is utter rubbish that they are able to occupy the same physical space as you while attacking you. I've got my back up against a wall, but due to the limited peripheral vision of the gas mask or NVG, I can't see the little turd standing where my feet should be unless I look straight down. 2) Stealth? This has been mentioned a lot - the enemy soldiers are either total idiots, who fail to hear a nearby body hit the floor, or have some sort of radar, detecting you in the dark or at distances where _you_ can barely see them. It's particularly galling when you have worked to extinguish every light source, and are crouched behind cover in near total darkness, and some idiot with a rusty POS assault rifle nails you. For a game which touts stealth as an option, it needs to be much tighter than this. 3) Inconsistant application of environmental effects - one stands out in particular, when encountering a Fascist patrol in the street in the middle of a major wind storm. The constant buffeting of the wind throws off your aim only slightly less than that idiot kid on your back a few levels previous. Despite being crouched down behind a burnt-out car, the Fascists were easily able to drop me in two or three rounds. Funny how many headshots they get when that's all that is exposed. 4a) Pop-up cover effects - the number of times I moved into an item of cover, be it sandbags or a burnt-out car, only to magically pop-up into the line of fire, was astounding. Seriously, if it's something to hide behind, make sure it's not readily climbable. 4b) Terrain hangups. It's 2011, we really shouldn't be seeing games where we get stuck on terrain like we were playing Doom. 5) Ludicrously low amounts of ammo - I KNOW this is supposed to be a feature of the game, but am I really to believe that every enemy is down to his last 1 or 2 rounds of ammunition? How about the off-duty guard I just popped with a silenced headshot? What was he going to do when the enemy attacked, use harsh language?! This is simply unbelievable, especially when combined with how much ammo the NPCs are able to throw at you (or at the mutants in the case of friendly NPCs). 6) Pathetic melee weapons. You know, if I'd had a hatchet, machete, sharpened entrenching tool etc that did just enough damage to give the demons a moment of pause, I wouldn't have worried so much about running out of ammo. It would have been great to have the pistol dual wielded with a close quarters weapon - whack the beastie when it gets too close, then have a half second to take an aimed shot. That's a weapon rig that has worked fantastically from Napoleonic times all the way up to the Vietnam police action. Tunnel rats, anybody? As it is, the knife is pointless and the bayonet barely better. It does knock back a mutant for a second, if you can time the attack well enough. 7) Librarians. Why establish a ruleset for non-aggressive contact, only to break it on a seemingly arbitrary basis in Hardcore mode? 8) NPC movement. Pay close attention every time one of your companions turns a corner when walking. Awkward, isn't it. Look, I think I've gone on enough here. I'd love to see the correlation between user score & difficulty settings - if I'd gone through on a lower difficulty level, then the numerous glitches would have been less fatal. As it is, for me this has been one of the most unenjoyable gaming experiences of the last decade, worse even than Far Cry 2. FC2 was just irritating with it's continual respawns, but Metro 2033's glitches & unfairness constantly reminds me that I'm playing a game. That ruins the atmosphere even more than the toxins in the world upstairs. Expand
  68. May 28, 2012
    Whoever doesn't rate this game a 10 out of 10 is insane. This is a masterpiece. The only considerable flaw is that on easy to hard modes it is too hard to kill enemies and to be killed. Unrealistic, basically. BUT, with the addiction of the ranger difficulties, this problem goes away completely. It's an entire new game in ranger hardcore. This is one of the best games ever.
  69. daveR
    Mar 23, 2010
    The graphics are very nice, but require a top-of-the-line card to run smoothly at the highest image settings (HD 5870/50 or GTX 480/70). The gameplay is good, but too scripted for my taste. I prefer more of a free-form roaming environment and discovery, as opposed to a predermined path through every chapter. Enemy AI is great and sometimes very tough, and the scarcity of ammo adds to the The graphics are very nice, but require a top-of-the-line card to run smoothly at the highest image settings (HD 5870/50 or GTX 480/70). The gameplay is good, but too scripted for my taste. I prefer more of a free-form roaming environment and discovery, as opposed to a predermined path through every chapter. Enemy AI is great and sometimes very tough, and the scarcity of ammo adds to the need to make every shot count when facing off. Some content is scary, and the overall mood reminds me of Cryostasis and Stalker. I would say I reccommend this game to anyone who likes dark, eerie gameplay, with lots of mutant creatures thrown into the mix. Expand
  70. Vet
    Apr 12, 2010
    Metro 2033 could have been a decent game, but it's preposterous toll on your PC and rage-inducing random difficulty spikes body slam it down into the realm of the irredeemable. I'd like to say it's a shame and that it could have been something truly unique, but the atmosphere and setting the game tries so hard to achieve already came in the form of the STALKER games (the Metro 2033 could have been a decent game, but it's preposterous toll on your PC and rage-inducing random difficulty spikes body slam it down into the realm of the irredeemable. I'd like to say it's a shame and that it could have been something truly unique, but the atmosphere and setting the game tries so hard to achieve already came in the form of the STALKER games (the latest of which, Call of Pripyat, arrived a month before Metro, and at half the price on Steam). Unless you just bought a pair of ATI 5970's or GTX 480's and are dying to see a game in DirectX11, don't spend your money on Metro until it hits the bargain bin. Expand
  71. Jun 8, 2011
    A great story, beautiful graphics and interesting characters make this game worth getting. Unfortunately, the bad gameplay mechanics bring it down -2 points.
  72. Apr 11, 2011
    This is a great game, but has the fact that you need a super computer to run, besides that the campaign is great and is also very interesting, Its not won of those games that you will replay over and over again because it is a very long game and has a lot to it. So if you have a super computer I would definitely recommend this game
  73. Aug 30, 2011
    This game is worth playing simply for the astonishing world created, and the incredible atmosphere. Any fans of post-apocalyptic games such as Fallout have to play this. it is not beyond criticism however. It is a FPS, plain and simple. Arguably more could be got from this if it was an rpg and allowed more exploration of the world, as it is rather restricting of what you can do and whereThis game is worth playing simply for the astonishing world created, and the incredible atmosphere. Any fans of post-apocalyptic games such as Fallout have to play this. it is not beyond criticism however. It is a FPS, plain and simple. Arguably more could be got from this if it was an rpg and allowed more exploration of the world, as it is rather restricting of what you can do and where you can go, but such is the nature of many fps's. A criticism I would raise is that the incredible atmosphere created early on is not capitalized on, since you spend lots of your time shooting hordes of other men. Another criticism would be that it is too short, far too short, especially as it is linear and the actual playing sections are fairly short. Still, I am really looking forward to seeing where the sequel takes this idea next. Expand
  74. Aug 15, 2011
    This is a pretty good game, I can't remember whether this game has any background music, but I haven't encountered any annoying music, so if it does have background music then it's likely good enough to feel natural. Graphics are great as long as your system is powerful enough to support it. True most of the environment are ugly destroyed areas, but that's where the story is set. In theThis is a pretty good game, I can't remember whether this game has any background music, but I haven't encountered any annoying music, so if it does have background music then it's likely good enough to feel natural. Graphics are great as long as your system is powerful enough to support it. True most of the environment are ugly destroyed areas, but that's where the story is set. In the busier areas, random NPCs have weird and sometimes funny conversations in the background which adds to the atmosphere. Sometimes it makes it hard to focus on the one voice you care about, but for me it actually makes it feel more real. I've heard people complain about the lack of ammo and basic enemies not dying from a full clip of ammo, but that's a huge exaggeration. The lack of ammo is part of the setting and on normal difficulty at least, basic enemies die with 3-4 shots as long as you actually hit them in the right places (some will die with just 1 shot), spray and pray will not work on most enemies which I think is a great thing. I've also heard people complain that alerting one enemy alerts all others in the same area, which is a stupid complaint. When one enemy is alerted they tend to start shooting or shouting for help which will obviously alert the others who are within hearing range, if the enemy triggers an alarm, they may alert others who are even further away. I know from personal experience that if the enemies are separated far enough and are not within hearing/alarm range of each other, alerting one group will not alert the other group. I've also heard people complain that most people won't speak to you, which I actually prefer to the situation where everybody will speak to you. It makes more sense to me that if you go up to a perfect stranger and start talking to them they're not gonna talk back because they don't even know you.

The story and areas are mostly linear (some areas have multiple paths), which is not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't finished the game yet, but so far I feel like the overall story is decent. It does have some executions problems like random people who helps you out with only a little explanation as to why (no I did not skip any cut-scenes). It also has some bugs like enemies running through support columns to pounce at you. And in a few cases enemies pouncing through me and then attacking me from behind when I've put my back towards the wall specifically so I don't get attacked from behind. I'm also a bit divided about picking up weapons dropped by enemies. It doesn't really tell you what the dropped weapon can do, so for the most part you have to rely on sight to guess whether or not it's better than your current weapon. In some cases it's a weapon you've never seen before which makes it even harder. I'm divided because on the one hand it's annoying to have to rely on sight, but it also adds to the realism because if you find something on the ground it's not likely to come with a manual explaining what it does. I'm also a bit divided about the fact that you can't seem to save manually and have to rely on autosaves. It makes for annoying situations like when you're trying to go stealth and have mostly succeeded but then make a mistake towards the end. But it also makes me a lot more careful about what I do and makes me think about the big picture more. In other games where there is a quick save, if I come across a situation where I need to make a really difficult shot, I can just quick save and reload as often as needed until I make that perfect shot. In this game, you generally can't do that because between that really difficult shot and the autosave there's probably 10 somewhat difficult shots that you need to redo. It makes you a lot more careful and it does frustrate me at times but the feeling you get when you finally get it right is really satisfying.

Overall I'd say that so far the game is worth the $30 I paid for it on steam.
  75. May 10, 2011
    The game promises a story driven post apocalyptic FPS experience and this is also what it delivers. It looks good, has a thick atmosphere, especially in the Stations filled with men women and children trying to sort their lives as good as possible. Dirt, hope, doubt, despair and death are present at any moment. You can choose which weapons you want to play with and in a lot of levels ifThe game promises a story driven post apocalyptic FPS experience and this is also what it delivers. It looks good, has a thick atmosphere, especially in the Stations filled with men women and children trying to sort their lives as good as possible. Dirt, hope, doubt, despair and death are present at any moment. You can choose which weapons you want to play with and in a lot of levels if you want to go all John Rambo or more Sam Fisher. Granted the checkpoint auto save system has its obvious downsides. Repeating big parts of a level again because an enemy spotted you without obvious reason can get frustrating and running out of filters for your gas mask in the middle of the level without the chance to refill them sometimes makes you end up loading the whole level again, but who can see post those downsides can have a fun and intense experience.

If you are searching a good fps, enjoy linear levels which still often offer some kind of choice how to handle them and do not get too fast frustrated by the checkpoint system Metro 2033 is a solid and fun game for you. 8/10.
  76. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    Metro 2033 is the FPS with the best atmosphere and the best AI I have yet played. The graphics themselves are music to my high end PCs ears. The sound is amazing adding to feelings of claustrophobia and possibility of attack from any direction. The only thing that annoyed me was the difficulty in getting enough ammunition. Did I like it? OH YEA!
  77. Dec 22, 2011
    Fantastic graphically and sound wise. It really pulls you into the world. However it is quite short and has no re playability incentive apart from achievements. It is also Steam activated DRM so you can't sell it. Don't think I will be playing again so only buy if you can get it dirt cheap.
  78. Dec 26, 2012
    Are you confused as to what to make of the reviews? Metro 2033 is very cheap, and for that alone you're probably better off buying it. This is an incredibly linear FPS experience - you will rarely be able to make decisions, very little interaction is allowed between the environment and the player, and perhaps most frustrating are the weapons and resources. There's a lack of them. If, likeAre you confused as to what to make of the reviews? Metro 2033 is very cheap, and for that alone you're probably better off buying it. This is an incredibly linear FPS experience - you will rarely be able to make decisions, very little interaction is allowed between the environment and the player, and perhaps most frustrating are the weapons and resources. There's a lack of them. If, like me, you play on the highest difficulty, you'll find yourself scarce with ammunition, and seldom able to buy anything in the stores. AIs in this game are frustrating, with stealth very difficult to utilize. The game passes far too quickly, and the plot becomes predictable. I may be a little pedantic, but if you're sick of the typical post-apocalyptic linear, "you're the special one", kind of FPS, then you won't have made much of a mistake walking past this game. There were some enjoyable moments, but they were drowned by very long scenes and gruesome AIs. Expand
  79. Oct 11, 2011
    COME ON! I just payed $5.00 for this game and I got ripped off! This game has got to be a sad joke. As others have said, the AI is bad... But I think it's just way worse than just that. The gun play is just retarded! Gunplay is really the only reason to play an non-RPG FPS, especially a zombie FPS. There is no reaction to bullets by zombies or whatever the poor CGI f*** they are. The gunCOME ON! I just payed $5.00 for this game and I got ripped off! This game has got to be a sad joke. As others have said, the AI is bad... But I think it's just way worse than just that. The gun play is just retarded! Gunplay is really the only reason to play an non-RPG FPS, especially a zombie FPS. There is no reaction to bullets by zombies or whatever the poor CGI f*** they are. The gun sound effects are straight ghetto. The gun graphics are weak, guns shoot with no reaction, no pop, no zing, no fun whatsoever. When you hit the creatures, poor CGI, zombies, they just fall vertically and land vertically with no attempt whatsoever to conform to their environment. Holy sh**, the developers of Zelda on Super Nintendo had more respect. It took me 5 minutes to want my $5.00 back. This game is just awful. The mouse scrolls horizontally too fast and vertically too slow with no adjustability. The graphics are mediocre to ok, but the game play mechanics and limited point of view are just abysmal. This is a brain-dead experience designed for brain-dead people. Please save your $5.00. I would play Doom 1 right now for WAAY longer, before becoming hopelessly bored out of my skull. That's sad. That's really really sad. PC Gamer usually has more tact than to rate a game like this 77%, never go below the 80% rating from PC Gamer. This game is an unholy bloody outrage. When I am motivated to write a review, a game is either A: a total travesty against humanity or B: a great game that deserves acclaim. This game is the former, 100%. If you listened I just saved you $5.00. Expand
  80. BenE
    Mar 17, 2010
    This game is extremely linear and yet at times you still find yourself lost and wondering what you are expected to go next due to poor level design. There are some really bad game design choices like mapping the ammo change function to the reload key - in the heat of battle as you frantically try to reload, you find yourself changing ammo type by accident. All those crowds in the This game is extremely linear and yet at times you still find yourself lost and wondering what you are expected to go next due to poor level design. There are some really bad game design choices like mapping the ammo change function to the reload key - in the heat of battle as you frantically try to reload, you find yourself changing ammo type by accident. All those crowds in the screenshots we've seen? You cannot interact with them - they're nothing more than 'cardboard cutouts'. This game has some fancy graphics and thats all. Expand
  81. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a perfect game. When I saw the game on the internet I thought that it was a cheap ripoff of STALKER, but I was wrong... Terribly wrong. I played Metro 2033 demo and I didn't think that a game could be so good. The first few hours are the most fun but the last two chapters are rather boring. Metro does have a few drawbacks. These are: time needed to complete the game (too short), aThis is a perfect game. When I saw the game on the internet I thought that it was a cheap ripoff of STALKER, but I was wrong... Terribly wrong. I played Metro 2033 demo and I didn't think that a game could be so good. The first few hours are the most fun but the last two chapters are rather boring. Metro does have a few drawbacks. These are: time needed to complete the game (too short), a few extra weapons wouldn't hurt (not enough weapons) and last and most important - IT DOESN'T HAVE A MP. Everything else is just perfect. The Ranger pack is exciting especially the HARDCORE mode. I wish I never bought the game because it almost turned me into an addict, and it didn't had a multiplayer mode. I wish they made a expansion (nothing to do with the BOOK Metro 2033) and put a Multiplayer there. To sum up this is a great game so if you are want to buy this game but.... BUY IT!! Expand
  82. Jul 25, 2012
    This was a frustrating game for me. No way to save the game means you have to redo entire stretches of the level since the last checkpoint until you reach the next checkpoint, then it auto saves. I am reasonably good at FPS games, but I was dying a lot in this game! The game gets really dark, at one point I had to see a shimmer of a silhouette move to identify where the hell the enemy was.This was a frustrating game for me. No way to save the game means you have to redo entire stretches of the level since the last checkpoint until you reach the next checkpoint, then it auto saves. I am reasonably good at FPS games, but I was dying a lot in this game! The game gets really dark, at one point I had to see a shimmer of a silhouette move to identify where the hell the enemy was. Also, sometimes you will be wondering where the hell the enemy is shooting at you from! The night vision goggles don't help much in some circumstances, and your vision goes to hell and back if you use it when scoping in to shoot someone in the dark.

The story is interesting though. BTW, I was stuck in one level, took hours to progress and *puff* crash! Latest save game lost! I have to redo the whole level again which I will not do. Perhaps in the future, I will lower the difficulty to easy just to see the storyline through as it was getting interesting.

It got so frustrating, only the storyline was dragging me through! Game play is linear, but I didn't mind as the story was good.

The game had potential but make it a little "accessible"! Its the new buzz word nowadays!
  83. JohnD
    Apr 13, 2010
    ??? What an appallingly overrated load of garbage!! I read the good reviews... I hired it out (along with MW2, which I have played a thousand times).for SEVEN days... and played it twice for maybe three hours all up... It was skin-crawlingly lame and I just returned to the far-superior MW2.... BC2 has muddy, crappy, 720p-max graphics; chaotic, pointless gameplay... which only a retarded ??? What an appallingly overrated load of garbage!! I read the good reviews... I hired it out (along with MW2, which I have played a thousand times).for SEVEN days... and played it twice for maybe three hours all up... It was skin-crawlingly lame and I just returned to the far-superior MW2.... BC2 has muddy, crappy, 720p-max graphics; chaotic, pointless gameplay... which only a retarded run n gun scum could possibly like.... the maps are unfollowable.... the vehicles uncontrollable and, it would seem, indestructible to you but not if you get in it - yay!!..... the controls stupid in any and all variation(s) it makes from MW2 - seemingly only b/c MW2 has used them IN EVERY CASE (melee, crouch etc).... you know why MW2 used their configurations DICE? Cos they are better. Sound seems dead and empty... like a permanent frag has gone off.... Weapons lame... how the upgrades work is not remotely followable so there is no sense of working towards anything like MW2's perks and unlocks and so forth... Quite how anyone could give this craptatsic game a review score above four out of ten is totally beyond me. Overrated, boring, frustrating and ugly. Finding the enemy is always a complete fluke, if can find them at all and I rarely saw the person who killed me... just a stupid game. MW2 craps all over it. Trust me. Expand
  84. Jan 8, 2013
    The game right off the bat seemed amazing, I very much enjoyed the story, voice acting and the graphics, however.... the biggest part of the game is completely broken, Combat. Unfortunately playing this game on easy is like playing most games on hard, the human enemies know where you are at all times and will even shoot you within 1 second of you trying to poke your head around the corner,The game right off the bat seemed amazing, I very much enjoyed the story, voice acting and the graphics, however.... the biggest part of the game is completely broken, Combat. Unfortunately playing this game on easy is like playing most games on hard, the human enemies know where you are at all times and will even shoot you within 1 second of you trying to poke your head around the corner, and while you take massive damage from their attacks you feel like they take maybe 1/3rd of your damage.
    The combat seems to be somewhat designed for stealth only when it comes to fighting humans, I say this because if you kill someone with a gun the entire map will immediately be zoned in on you and shooting you, the only way to stop them is to kill every last one of them, rush to the end, or die.
    The problem is, even if you play stealthy you are still punished in combat, if an enemy finds a dead body (which you can't move) then every enemy on the map is alerted and ready to kill you, even if you are hiding in a pitch black area on the map they will see you.
    If you play like an assassin in the dark there is immediately a few things you will also notice, the first is the lack of checkpoints, you will find yourself making one small mistake after the other and lose all progress and have to restart, the second is that silent weapons can be very unpredictable sometimes they kill in 1 hit sometimes they don't and sometimes in the case of the throwing knife they will just bounce off the enemy, at which point you must restart the mission or kill every last enemy for the next 25 minutes.

This game could have been so much more then it is, if only the combat wasn't so terrible.
  85. Dec 16, 2010
    The AI is awful. They always know where you are and there are literally 12 at one time. The game says at one point "meet behind the hotel" and you turn around and see the same grey-scale post-apocalyptic ugly buildings every where. And because of the plentiful enemies and the lack of supplies, the auto-save nearly ruined the game. Also the characters faces were awful looking. None of themThe AI is awful. They always know where you are and there are literally 12 at one time. The game says at one point "meet behind the hotel" and you turn around and see the same grey-scale post-apocalyptic ugly buildings every where. And because of the plentiful enemies and the lack of supplies, the auto-save nearly ruined the game. Also the characters faces were awful looking. None of them moved at all. This game fits every rehashed boring post apocalyptic motif. The plot is uninteresting and not nearly as original as everyone raves about. It isn't worth more than the 7 dollars I paid on Steam. Expand
  86. ChrisP
    Apr 6, 2010
    I hate that some publishers insist on creating games that are first for consoles and 2nd for PCs... Steam shows the metascore as 87 but it's actually 81... I'm so suspicious of the whole industry now... going console for the buck instead of designing better games (for PCs) that allow for scalability instead. It's apparently easier to create a dumbed-down version than it is I hate that some publishers insist on creating games that are first for consoles and 2nd for PCs... Steam shows the metascore as 87 but it's actually 81... I'm so suspicious of the whole industry now... going console for the buck instead of designing better games (for PCs) that allow for scalability instead. It's apparently easier to create a dumbed-down version than it is to create for graphics scalability to adapt to a wider range of User's PC rigs. The AI in this sucks. The environment is linear. The POV is narrow. Suck suck suck... all nuances of Console gaming. The only reason someone gives this a better than 70 something rating is because they're either in the industry and in someone else's pocket that has decided consoles are where the money is since the children are more apt to spend less on their system but be able to spend smaller chunks of money on the games OR they're console fanboy's themselves that can't afford any semblance of a decent PC rig and shouldn't be spending money on games anyway if that's the case. Seriously. Expand
  87. Apr 1, 2013
    Ive tried a couple of times to play metro and the shockingly poor combat keeps stopping me, the way the AI knows where you are and can hit perfectly from like 100-200 metres away yet you struggle to hit someone 10 metres away is soo annoying. there is no stealth.... you creep up and put a silenced gun to the back of a enemy's head and fire.... The guy lives and turns around and shoots youIve tried a couple of times to play metro and the shockingly poor combat keeps stopping me, the way the AI knows where you are and can hit perfectly from like 100-200 metres away yet you struggle to hit someone 10 metres away is soo annoying. there is no stealth.... you creep up and put a silenced gun to the back of a enemy's head and fire.... The guy lives and turns around and shoots you dead in 1 -2 shots and if you live the super soldiers all know where you are and your dead again.

The sound is good, i liked the breathing effect when you have the mask on although the cheesy Russian accents are bad.
    The graphics are pretty good, but hard to believe i get a better FPS on the new tomb raider on max settings than on this
    The story seemed ok, i was interested but the combat has ruined this for me... i may try again but at this moment i feel its a waste of my time
  88. Sep 27, 2012
    I expected a different game, unfortunately, is a game too linear with default steps, very detailed graphics but heavy even for recent vga, un-installed after two hours.
  89. Dec 13, 2012
    (Negative)
    Over all the combat is quite bad..
    For me it was always a struggle to find out how bad the AI was made, i could for example not stealth very effective because the guards would have night vision, and flash light on at the same time so you would not know. I could climb around on a roof and shine 3 guards in the face with my charged up flashlight with out them getting alert to
    (Negative)
    Over all the combat is quite bad..
    I could climb around on a roof and shine 3 guards in the face with my charged up flashlight with out them getting alert to anything.
    From hard and up in difficulty is very very dificult. It should be one shot one kill if you aim right, because that would be realistic right? .. no no.. 3 shotgun blasts in the face, guard still stands. Kills you with 1-2 shots as soon as he turns.

I also wanted the full experience so if its all going on in russia it should be in russian in my opinion. But you will miss alot of the "none important" people are saying in bars, weapon dealers, stations. Because its not subtitles which upset me quite a bit. It seems like a game that was slapped together in 2 months time, they even spared expenses on the sounds and used sounds from CS. ALOT

(Positive)
    The only good things i have to say is the landscape was well made and the atmosphere is really taking you in (you will know what i mean when you step out of the metro first time)

I dont see how the hell, many of the top critics is praising it so much, i guess more was spend on greasing hands than on the actual game. It seems like it.
  90. Oct 18, 2011
    Now don't we all think that the Resident Evil theme is a little worn out? As much as the Call of Duty series too? The graphics are great, the gameplay is good too. I'm just one that is so tired and worn out with the game themes that are played on too, too, much. And this is exactly what this game represents. I believe that "Life" itself is scary enough, to have a game try and scare me.Now don't we all think that the Resident Evil theme is a little worn out? As much as the Call of Duty series too? The graphics are great, the gameplay is good too. I'm just one that is so tired and worn out with the game themes that are played on too, too, much. And this is exactly what this game represents. I believe that "Life" itself is scary enough, to have a game try and scare me. Maybe after living half a century, and playing video games for nearly 35 years, I've experienced quite a bit in life. I enjoy seeing "fresh" titles, and this obviously isn't one of them. Kill, kill, and kill some more...wow.... Expand
  91. Jan 22, 2013
    I really don't understand the positive reviews. I really REALLY wanted to like my game, but I keep forcing myself to come back and play it, and just can't seem to finish it, because it's SO bad. The game relies on stealth, but there IS no stealth - as soon as you kill anyone (even with a silent pistol, even if they were alone) or are seen by anyone, EVERY enemy immediately knows where youI really don't understand the positive reviews. I really REALLY wanted to like my game, but I keep forcing myself to come back and play it, and just can't seem to finish it, because it's SO bad. The game relies on stealth, but there IS no stealth - as soon as you kill anyone (even with a silent pistol, even if they were alone) or are seen by anyone, EVERY enemy immediately knows where you are and begins shooting at you with their god-like accuracy. Even if you sneak away, they all always know where you are. Even worse is the writing - the individual characters' writing are fine, but every situation in the game feels COMPLETELY forced and makes NO sense whatsoever. "You've never left the station, but now I'm going to give you a gun and you're going to go on a quest." Why? "Alright, let's split up; you go straight through the building full of vicious mutant dog things that want to kill you, and I'll take the safe route going around the building" Why!? "We've never met you and have no qualms with you, but if we see you we'll shoot you on sight." WHY!?!? The overall plot seems cool (something to do with psychic mutants), and I want to know what happens, but all of the plot in GETTING there makes NO sense whatsoever! [UPDATE] Well, I encountered a bug that made it so I couldn't jump or uncrouch, even after reloading (yes I tried both crouch and crouch-toggle buttons). Then the game saved right as there were a bunch of bullets flying at my head, so when I reload I die instantly. At this point I gave up on this terrible, terrible game, and just watched the ending on YouTube. I'm glad I did, because it looks like I didn't miss much. Expand
  92. Jan 25, 2013
    A pretty good story spoiled by some very poor mechanics, with hind sight I wish I had not thrown away good money on this and just got the book instead.
  93. Nov 14, 2011
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The atmosphere is incredible. The narration is great. Good graphics. Not the scariest game I've ever played, but still pretty creepy. The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very annoying. The gunplay could be better. The character movement seems stilted.
  94. Sep 26, 2013
    Ironically, not even close to as sprawling and open world as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Too slow paced to be a Call Of Duty game, and simply too boring to bother sitting through. Metro 2033 has its share of problems that compound as the game goes on, it suffers from a very slow intro-sequence that merely suggests you later come back to that exact same point in time. Though the mutatedIronically, not even close to as sprawling and open world as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Too slow paced to be a Call Of Duty game, and simply too boring to bother sitting through. Metro 2033 has its share of problems that compound as the game goes on, it suffers from a very slow intro-sequence that merely suggests you later come back to that exact same point in time. Though the mutated creatures are interesting, they don't vary much in appearance in one area, so you often spend time in the tunnels fighting bat-things, up top fighting rat things, or later fighting tall weird things. I could never understand how they made such a combat oriented game, play like a poor man's scripted first person shooter. The guns are clunky, the aiming is slow, the gas mask obscures your view for no good reason and isn't interesting from a realistic perspective. The visuals may be gorgeous, but they don't help the fact that this game is all over the place, its narrative is poor, its far too scripted to be entertaining, monster fights are over before too long, half the setup in some areas of the game devolve into shooting other humans, stealth sections were poorly done, and I didn't care for the ammo/ money system. It was far too easy to re-install S.T.A.L.K.E.R. over this game. I didn't care for the atmosphere, it felt like it was borrowing just a bit too much from some other game I've previously mentioned. It never hit mainstream appeal, so thank goodness for that. At least I realized that a beastly computer alongside some fantastic graphics aren't all that make up this game. I consider Metro 2033 more of a tech demo than an actual game, much like Crysis. Expand
  95. Jan 14, 2013
    The atmosphere of the game is amazing! Graphics aside from the faces are great! Story is good as well. The game is very likable. But.... There are serious issues with the game. on "normal" setting the enemies are unrealisticly tough, One shotgun shoot to the face will kill your enemy up close. Yet it takes 3!!
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Which is kind of bad, becasue it takes away from the experience. Overall, I wanted to give to game a higher score.. but the shooter part, which the game is. Isnt up to standards.
  96. Nov 8, 2014
    Now i could make a long review on how great or poor this game is, however in order to do that the game has to work.
    However this game does not work so the score of 0 should fit this awful product.

Now i will end this review, since i have already spend more time on this review then these eastern european lessers on testing this product.
  97. Dec 5, 2012
    Can't buy filters at Polis and they throw me directly to the surface to die. -2 for not thinking about such an obvious storyline bug. Also -2 for needing a supercomputer to play it at the lowest setting. A grenade explosion gets me from 50-70fps to 15fps. WTF?
  98. Nov 9, 2011
    My score is based on the fact that this is an Indie game. A really great Indie game. The story follows a book, which I haven't read because it's not translated in English, and is actually a very interesting story. Different twists throughout the game kept me guessing as to what might happen next. The shooting works really well and there is a keen attention to detail in the game that someMy score is based on the fact that this is an Indie game. A really great Indie game. The story follows a book, which I haven't read because it's not translated in English, and is actually a very interesting story. Different twists throughout the game kept me guessing as to what might happen next. The shooting works really well and there is a keen attention to detail in the game that some will appreciate and others will find annoying. The game is very immersive and draws you in exactly like a good book would do. Like others have said the enemy A.I. is half stupid at best and full stupid at worst. Play it on a harder difficulty because anything else is too easy. Payed $5 USD for the game and it was fun for a week or so. In my mind that is a good purchase. Graphics are top notch if your computer can handle them. All except for some of the hair models. Yes I said hair. The character models literally look like they have plastic hair that is glued on sometimes. Can't wait for Metro: Last Light to come out next year. I will definetely be buying it on day 1. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2013
    Whats there to say about a game I barley can play, The story was interesting, the atmosphere was cool but ive seen it done before, game startles you at moments, but the pc version is a mess. The game crashes, theres bugs hear and there, and theres no fix at all. Im not buying metro last light because of this.
  100. Dec 22, 2011

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
  3. Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.