Metro 2033 PC

8.1

1. May 19, 2013
    metro 2033 is just epic!!! this is a super amazing game. the game has a lot of problems, and because of that it doesnt get a 9 or a 10. ill start with the good parts. the strongest aspect of metro 2033 is the atmosphere. 4a games just nailed this. this is one of the best atmospheres i have ever seen, and it stands with the best, like bioshock. listening to peoples conversations is justmetro 2033 is just epic!!! this is a super amazing game. the game has a lot of problems, and because of that it doesnt get a 9 or a 10. ill start with the good parts. the strongest aspect of metro 2033 is the atmosphere. 4a games just nailed this. this is one of the best atmospheres i have ever seen, and it stands with the best, like bioshock. listening to peoples conversations is just great and touching. the people talk about the future, and what was before the war. the NPCs disscussions are just amazing!!!! this really gives the game a big part of its atmosphere. the voice acting is also great. some of them arent so good but for the most part its great. the game is really sad and grim. this saddness is really present in the game, and you can really feel it. lighting effects are really spectacular. the graphics in general are great but the lighting is just amazing and really helps the atmosphere and gameplay! the game draws you in really really good. if you didnt understand this until now, the atmosphere and the feel of the game is super awesome. if your looking for awesome atmosphere and story this is the game. this is one of the best in this department!!!! the game is really immersive, because it does little things to take you in. for instance when your out of the metro stations and tunnels you need to put a gasmask and change filters every few minutes. this makes the game really imerssive. another example is that you need to charge your flashlight by hand. all this little things make metro so appealing. the story is amazing as well!!! the story talks about survival and about how humans never stop fighting. overall the story is really great. the locations are also really varied as well. though a lot of the game is undergroung, the locations are much more varied than other games. in the game you also stop in metro stations that are like villages. they are done fantastically. again, THE ATMOSPHERE IS JUST AMAZING AND THE GAME IS SUPER IMMERSIVE!!!!!!!!!!! though the atmosphere is great, the game has a lot of mistakes that take it down. first of all, the human AI is crap. the AI is really bad and stupid. it will run near you, not understanding what to do. the mutants AI is ok though. another big issue is that HUMANS HAVE WAY TO MUCH LIFE until they die. i understand giving the animals a lot of life but human take way too much bullets!!! another big thing is that the game has way too much glitches. there are a lot of them. one of them is enemys falling through walls after they die. there are more glitches besides this, and while its not gamebreaking, its still pritty bad. the stealth system is crappy as well. throwing a silent knife and missing can alert everyone exactly where you are. the gunplay isnt particularly bad, but its a bit old. the biggest problem with the gunplay is scopes. aiming down sights with scoped is annoying and doesnt work well. the problems of crappy stealth and mediocore gunplay make some fights a bit annoying. some levels feel like you should be stealthy, but its impossible to do it. if your caught you use the gunplay, and the humans take so much bullets that it can get a bit annoying. this moments occur in my last complaint, which is difficulty jumps. i dont mind a game being hard, but in metro 2033, there were weird and annoying difficulty jumps. there werent too much of them, but some of them were really annoying.

with all its flaws, metro 2033 is super awesome!!!! if you think about buying this then you should buy it if you want atmosphere. the gameplay here can be better so you shouldnt buy it for the gameplay only.
    THIS GAME IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Oct 18, 2011
    Now don't we all think that the Resident Evil theme is a little worn out? As much as the Call of Duty series too? The graphics are great, the gameplay is good too. I'm just one that is so tired and worn out with the game themes that are played on too, too, much. And this is exactly what this game represents. I believe that "Life" itself is scary enough, to have a game try and scare me.Now don't we all think that the Resident Evil theme is a little worn out? As much as the Call of Duty series too? The graphics are great, the gameplay is good too. I'm just one that is so tired and worn out with the game themes that are played on too, too, much. And this is exactly what this game represents. I believe that "Life" itself is scary enough, to have a game try and scare me. Maybe after living half a century, and playing video games for nearly 35 years, I've experienced quite a bit in life. I enjoy seeing "fresh" titles, and this obviously isn't one of them. Kill, kill, and kill some more...wow.... Expand
  3. Nov 8, 2014
    Now i could make a long review on how great or poor this game is, however in order to do that the game has to work.
    However this game does not work so the score of 0 should fit this awful product.

Now i will end this review, since i have already spend more time on this review then these eastern european lessers on testing this product.
  4. Nov 14, 2011
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The atmosphere is incredible. The narration is great. Good graphics. Not the scariest game I've ever played, but still pretty creepy. The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very annoying. The gunplay could be better. The character movement seems stilted.
  5. Jan 14, 2013
    The atmosphere of the game is amazing! Graphics aside from the faces are great! Story is good as well. The game is very likable. But.... There are serious issues with the game. on "normal" setting the enemies are unrealisticly tough, One shotgun shoot to the face will kill your enemy up close. Yet it takes 3!!
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Which is kind of bad, becasue it takes away from the experience. Overall, I wanted to give to game a higher score.. but the shooter part, which the game is. Isnt up to standards.
  6. Dec 5, 2012
    Can't buy filters at Polis and they throw me directly to the surface to die. -2 for not thinking about such an obvious storyline bug. Also -2 for needing a supercomputer to play it at the lowest setting. A grenade explosion gets me from 50-70fps to 15fps. WTF?
  7. Nov 9, 2011
    My score is based on the fact that this is an Indie game. A really great Indie game. The story follows a book, which I haven't read because it's not translated in English, and is actually a very interesting story. Different twists throughout the game kept me guessing as to what might happen next. The shooting works really well and there is a keen attention to detail in the game that someMy score is based on the fact that this is an Indie game. A really great Indie game. The story follows a book, which I haven't read because it's not translated in English, and is actually a very interesting story. Different twists throughout the game kept me guessing as to what might happen next. The shooting works really well and there is a keen attention to detail in the game that some will appreciate and others will find annoying. The game is very immersive and draws you in exactly like a good book would do. Like others have said the enemy A.I. is half stupid at best and full stupid at worst. Play it on a harder difficulty because anything else is too easy. Payed $5 USD for the game and it was fun for a week or so. In my mind that is a good purchase. Graphics are top notch if your computer can handle them. All except for some of the hair models. Yes I said hair. The character models literally look like they have plastic hair that is glued on sometimes. Can't wait for Metro: Last Light to come out next year. I will definetely be buying it on day 1. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2011
    first off the grafxs with dx11 cranked all the way up wow (until you go out side) the lvls are cramped but its called metro so what do you think its going to be like . I found the game quite hard but do able .. it is a very intense ride with some creepy bits , its dark down there monsters want to kill you people want to kill you.. performance for how good it looks its not bad for me ifirst off the grafxs with dx11 cranked all the way up wow (until you go out side) the lvls are cramped but its called metro so what do you think its going to be like . I found the game quite hard but do able .. it is a very intense ride with some creepy bits , its dark down there monsters want to kill you people want to kill you.. performance for how good it looks its not bad for me i keep msaa off and dof it will run and look real nice
    i would score it higher but the small lvls and liner gameplay get to me
  9. Nov 29, 2011
    Enjoyable game with a good atmosphere and great graphics, but there are a few issues that I do not care for. First, the game engine seems to make the player jerky. In other words, the movement is not very smooth. Some of the section of the game seem a little more difficult as they should be, such as running out of ammo at critical times. If you catch Metro 2033 on sale, I think itsEnjoyable game with a good atmosphere and great graphics, but there are a few issues that I do not care for. First, the game engine seems to make the player jerky. In other words, the movement is not very smooth. Some of the section of the game seem a little more difficult as they should be, such as running out of ammo at critical times. If you catch Metro 2033 on sale, I think its worth the money. Expand
  10. Apr 4, 2012
    Very good shooter. This game is based on a book, and it's story quality shows. Good graphics and sound, very well achieved Ambient.
    Highly recommend it.
  11. Nov 4, 2013
    Very nice game, not an RPG or even an FPS for that matter since you can sneak past most of the enemies, its a story telling game were you get to be in the shoes of Artyum, a man forced to face hell to save hes people, I'm not going to say more but i highly recommend.
  12. Aug 6, 2012
    An entertaining linear, FPS, story-driven game for a price around $15 USD. Entertaining story. Entertaining gameplay: expansive and creative difficulty options, rewarding stealth gameplay, variety; some gameplay issues (ex. gas masks seem to run out too quick). A well done linear FPS, overall. Seemingly poor programming/not an optimized game -- seemingly low frames per second even for highAn entertaining linear, FPS, story-driven game for a price around $15 USD. Entertaining story. Entertaining gameplay: expansive and creative difficulty options, rewarding stealth gameplay, variety; some gameplay issues (ex. gas masks seem to run out too quick). A well done linear FPS, overall. Seemingly poor programming/not an optimized game -- seemingly low frames per second even for high end machines, but still playable. Pretty environments. Not exceptional AI, but its good enough. Game doesn't really feel finished. Expand
  13. Dec 13, 2012
    STALKER ripoff with a stronger plot but very linear. It has some memorable moments but the endings are awful and unrewarding. Definitely worth checking out for the strong atmosphere and unique (albeit occasionally ridiculous) storyline but only worth one playthrough.
  14. Dec 28, 2013
    An underrated gem if I've ever saw one.
    This game is dripping with atmosphere like an overweight bus driver drips with sweat in the middle of summer. It's pouring with it.
    Your journey through Metro tunnels and brief ventures across the surface are some of the tensest, most unnerving moments is gaming I've ever come across. Now, this is not a horror game but the atmosphere and amazing
    An underrated gem if I've ever saw one.
    Now, this is not a horror game but the atmosphere and amazing sound engineering will keep you sweating and on your toes. There are no "booga-booga!" moments but you'll holding your breath as a huge horde of mutants are chasing you down a tunnel while your flashlight battery is dying and your gas mask filter is running out. Metro 2033 is very good at toying with your 'fight-or-fly' response. In this game, you forget what you know about gaming and start relying on your instincts. Very immersive.

There are a few flaws with the game though. Weapons feel under-powered and lack of feedback on whether you actually hit your target takes the satisfaction of gunning down enemies. Stealth is plain broken. You'll have a heck of time trying to sneak around. The English voice acting is also bit weak, but really, play it with Russian voices and English subtitles. The Russian Voice acting is way, way better.

All this is forgiven when you see what the game does right, like pacing of the story (which is very good), the mechanics of your actual equipment like cranking a dynamo to keep your flashlight battery charged and the mysterious, hidden karma system.

This game is not for everyone. Some people will be confused by a game where Russians are shown as humans, with all their flaws and virtues, instead of mindless cannon fodder.
    Sure, it is no for everyone, but it's almost like a Tarkovsky film, dense and filled with obscure meaning, but once you open yourself to it, you will find a rich, unique experience which is seldom found in gaming.
  15. Dec 19, 2012
    Great FPS game with interesting world and story and amazing atmosphere. However, there's couple of flaws: stealth mechanics are bit clumsy and seem superimposed, and while the game is very beautiful, the engine still feels rather badly optimized.
  16. Jan 4, 2013
    bought this game 75%off otherwise could have been a waste of money , first the good.. storyline mainly a stole from enemy at the gates movie brought from 1942 to 2033 is ok, graphics are exellent , the bad , your pc fan will overload to cool down the cpu and videocard, gameplay revolves around finding bullets whic are extremely rare u have to strip every corpse you encounter to find 3bought this game 75%off otherwise could have been a waste of money , first the good.. storyline mainly a stole from enemy at the gates movie brought from 1942 to 2033 is ok, graphics are exellent , the bad , your pc fan will overload to cool down the cpu and videocard, gameplay revolves around finding bullets whic are extremely rare u have to strip every corpse you encounter to find 3 bullets in one. the ugly realism stops when you shoot your enemy you precious bullets only work half the time the other half you seem to be shooting blanks sometime you can empty your inventory shooting at an enemy point blank with not a scrach , while it takes him only 1 or 2 shots in normal difficulty to make reload the game. final thoughts great graphics running on a poor unexiting engine that makes you give up the game quickly. Expand
  17. Mar 8, 2013
    First-person shooter in post-nuclear subway. The setting and graphics are great, presenting desperate men surviving in a mutant-filled underground quite vividly. Action/shooter part is nothing special, except maybe for one or two unusual weapons. You may think sneaking will be important tactics in given conditions, but it isn't. You can sneak through one or two scenes, but mostly you areFirst-person shooter in post-nuclear subway. The setting and graphics are great, presenting desperate men surviving in a mutant-filled underground quite vividly. Action/shooter part is nothing special, except maybe for one or two unusual weapons. You may think sneaking will be important tactics in given conditions, but it isn't. You can sneak through one or two scenes, but mostly you are discovered very quickly and then enemies are looking for you indefinitely. The game is very story-driven and linear. I "kind of" like the story and read the original book, but some parts of it are just ridiculous. Like for example starving men role-playing WWII with each other, while being surrounded by hostile mutants. As for hardware problems mentioned in other reviews, my PC is maybe 3 years old but not specifically gaming-oriented, and it runs the game just fine. Overall, I recommend to try this game if you are a fan of post-apocalypse, but I do not recommend it as just a regular shooter game. Expand
  18. Sep 8, 2013
    The game in which the atmosphere is not lost until the ending, and there are not a lot of definitely 10/10 of course this unforgettable atmosphere and a desire to continue to play in this world a detailed science covers the bad voice acting, and the stone faces the only thing that spoils the feeling of this beautiful world!
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    One of the better fps games i've played in a while. Great story, creepy monsters. If you're in the mood for a story driven fps game, pick this one up.

The graphics chew up your PC though, so be aware of the requirements for it.
  20. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 10
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  21. Jan 17, 2016
    One of the best FPS I've ever played, which have been a lot.

Good story, good gunplay, and nice graphics (quite good for a 5 years old game).

Amazing from the beginning til the end.
  22. Jan 26, 2016
    The game has potentials, but Metro 2033 also has tons of technical issues, sometimes with the addition of broken gameplay mechanics, but you cannot deny that you had fun playing it.
  23. Sep 4, 2014
    Beautiful and detailed game and whatsoever, though Im glad I've got this for free with my GPU, because the stupid AI, short gameplay and very easy hard mode wasn't worth my admission.
  24. Nov 20, 2015
    Ok, I'm not a fan of shooters, but...

+ damn good story, that doesn't tell you "shoot those dark guys, they bad", really hits the right nerves + the overwhelming realism (your backpack is really heavy, you need to check your filter level yourself, there's no HUD for that) + somewhat lore-cohesive (awesome book) + weapon design (inspirations from WWII submachine guns) + you don't
    Ok, I'm not a fan of shooters, but...

+ somewhat lore-cohesive (awesome book)
    + weapon design (inspirations from WWII submachine guns)
    + you don't feel like a scavenger because of the setting, you really do scrape for ammo
    + higher difficulty mode doesn't bloat HP, it means you can kill things with one bullet, but things may kill you with one bullet as well. on lower difficulties, you need to put more lead into your target (goes both ways)
    + graphics
    + ambient dialogues, atmosphere - never expected so much detail from FPS

- weird stealth mechanics and AI, if enemy spots you, everyone instantly knows where you are, you cannot hide and use this alert as a distraction.

I don't like killing things and prefer RPGs, it may skew my opinion a bit. For now I'm stuck on 5th or 6th mission with no kills, playing ranger hardcore mode. Game is amazing, but wonky stealth mechanics/AI makes me want to uninstall it
  25. Jul 30, 2016
    Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva. Recensione temporanea da sostituire non appena disponibile quella definitiva.
  26. Sep 1, 2013
    A ok game, definitely not mediocre, but i had the sense that it was rehashing some scenes from Half-life 1 and 2 (and some episodes), in a very "meh" way.
    The graphics settings though are horrible, no way of customising them and the game is not optimised.
    The gameplay is very linear, and doesn't even try to hide it. More like train ride. If you are into this sort of thing, you'll enjoy
    If you are into this sort of thing, you'll enjoy it.
    As for the so called "beauty" of it, yeah it has some nice directX effects, but it is like looking at frozen garbage bin all the way (with some rare exceptions).
    Storywise it was quite promising, but they didn't bother to flesh it out.
    It ends up having all those story elements just to fill the empty space between shootings.
  27. Dec 4, 2011
    I would give this game a 7.5, but it is impossible. So, the game looks awesome, it has an awesome atmosphere, the story is good, and it feels a bit like Half-Life 2 only darker. The bad thing is - AI is not very good, voice acting is not the best. It's a linear game, but that's not a bad thing. It is also interesting and fun, and when you are tired of Call of Duty, then you should try this one.
  28. Mar 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't think anyone is against the fact that this game is beautiful, it looks gorgeous and is very atmospheric, especially visually. I also, storywise got to understand Artyom, and like him, better and better, I think he is introduced very well, and I like the small voice overs inbetween the tubes and stations and such that you visit. Horror wise, I think the first time you get to see those nosalus or W/E they call them, they can look like something out of a horror movie, but in the end they look like overgrown pigs with more humanoid form. Not the most scary I would say. At the point that I am at, have to find some explosives in one tube and bomb another tube so the monsters cannot get through then do something else in a different tube (its a while since I loaded up the game) I haven't really found the shadow people to be all that scary, I'm hoping that comes later, but atm it's not scary at all.
    I like the story of the game and how it is presented, I also like the gas mask mechanic, but I do feel that bullets aren't really all that scarce, if you loot every corpse for bullets you will soon have more than enough.
    I dislike the stealth mechanics, I was supposed to stealth through some station and save bourbon, in the end I decided that a frontal attack was probably more fun and rewarding for me... It was, however the story didn't like that choice, and even though I had cleared out the station of people intent on harming me, the story still decided to say that someone else helped me and that more people were following right behind wanting to gut me... That, I guess, is the only misstep so far for me, otherwise this is definitely a great game that I enjoy, its beautiful, atmospheric (I can almost smell the steam, the damp tunnels and the fear when walking in a tunnel like that only with a flashlight), the gunplay I like but the sounds could be better imo. All in all, and especially with the pricing these days, it should be in any gamers collection.
    Yes it is linear... You are walking around in TUNNELS for the most part of the game, it is difficult to expand a tunnel to encompass flanking when your fighting in a tunnel only wide enough for a train to pass through. Granted even in the city of Moscow there are a few invisible walls, I didn't find it to be burdensome at all, sometimes limitations are key to giving a great experience. I will give it an 8/10, since it DOES have it's faults, but it is a good enough game to warrant buying and especially these days when you can get it for less than 20â
  29. May 23, 2017
    Years ago I played Metro 2033, and in earnest I never finished it. It is now 2017, so i guess I've run out of excuses to not finish it. All in all, I still might not finish it at the end of the day, which is ironic considering I played through Last Light and moderately enjoyed it. Their is something missing from these games that's difficult to point out, almost as though their is aYears ago I played Metro 2033, and in earnest I never finished it. It is now 2017, so i guess I've run out of excuses to not finish it. All in all, I still might not finish it at the end of the day, which is ironic considering I played through Last Light and moderately enjoyed it. Their is something missing from these games that's difficult to point out, almost as though their is a combination of elements that should work in conjunction with each other, but mostly don't. First off is the actual visuals, which are no doubt still very good looking to this day, even when compared to the Redux's redone graphical fidelity, I would say the original has a certain style to it that the Redux lacks. Sound is up next and wouldn't you know it? The game sounds pretty great, lots of underground echoes and odd noises, the sounds of monsters roaring or growling all around you, its all really well done. I did run into some glitches from time to time, but I think that varies from setup to setup. I found it used sound very well, but what was understated was the music. Often times I couldn't even tell if their was music playing and it didn't always fit the scene or the mood or the tone. Kind of turned out sounding generic as far as music goes. Last Light I'm aware has more of an action music tone, which is fine, but I couldn't pick out anything memorable from either game music-wise. Now the game play can be split between stealth, and full on firefights. Most players on normal difficulty can actually get through most firefights with a bit of good aim and just getting the jump on the unfortunately non-challenging artificial intelligence most enemies have. Which isn't really a surprise, in most situations they just overwhelm you with firepower or numbers, not actual tactics. They don't use tactics to fight you, not even the monsters use much in the way of strategy to kill you. The humans fights are probably the best fights in the game because you know at least they will drop ammo for your guns and are terribly stupid. The monsters on the other hand, do stupid amounts of damage to the player to make up for how poor their AI is. This presents an issue when playing with any kind of "stealth." Sure its totally feasible to get through some sections using throwing knives, but its incredibly boring and I'm not sure where the incentive is to do so. Some areas are even designed for a stealth sorta "route," but it just doesn't work when the AI acts like a hive-mind should they hear you, instantly knowing where you are and where to start shooting. I'm not even sure if the monster fights are worth skipping since you'll find the level design in most areas somewhat perplexing and frustrating to navigate. Its almost as though they knew how linear the game was when they were developing it and decided to throw in a lot of confusing segments to create more of a challenge. In all honesty, this makes navigating more stressful than necessary, especially when you're getting caught on scenery during a tense fight with a couple of mutated beasts. Take for instance an early segment that was very confusing to get through for a first time player, the bridge covered with neo-Nazi's. This level alone is incredibly frustrating due to the fact that if one of the enemies across the bridge sights you, then you'll end up fighting all of them from one side. Of course the main issue I had was the fact that it was incredibly confusing as to where to go. You come up the tunnel, pass the bridge, go down the stairs, go to other side of another bridge, go through a door, go down the stairs, find another passage and then from memory I believe that's the end of that level. So how long did it take to get through this very linear area? A whole hour. A whole hour of attempting stealth kills, sneaking past enemies, and in the end it was easier to just plow through and kill every enemy in the area. Metro 2033 is very good at artificially wasting your time, some levels are very short, but they place certain enemies, or make paths difficult to get through on purpose it would seem, to elongate game play time. I can't really comment on the story since videogames are not books and vice versa. I'm sure the plot is fine, but I wasn't drawn in by anything in particular. I never really cared about coming the stories conclusion, I didn't really care about the plight of your station, nor did I have much concern for characters I didn't know dying here or there throughout. Metro 2033 remains a poor mans first person shooter, with lovely visuals, excellent atmosphere, sound and some creepy monster designs, but those elements aside, its presentation is weak, and it comes of as a bit of an amateur effort. Metro 2033 is solid, but struggles to set itself apart from more memorable games like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series which though flawed are much better games. Expand
  30. May 4, 2013
    A very atmospheric and immersive FPS, but it's not without issues. Graphics are top-notch, but the engine is unoptimized. I got some slowdown even on my monster of a PC. It's unacceptable when I can run more graphically advanced games at smooth framerates but experience slowdown with this one. The aesthetic is very bleak. The game basically consists of 3 colors... grey, black, andA very atmospheric and immersive FPS, but it's not without issues. Graphics are top-notch, but the engine is unoptimized. I got some slowdown even on my monster of a PC. It's unacceptable when I can run more graphically advanced games at smooth framerates but experience slowdown with this one. The aesthetic is very bleak. The game basically consists of 3 colors... grey, black, and radioactive green. This isn't a bad thing. It sets the mood very well. Music and sound is also great. Gameplay is fairly standard FPS with some stealth elements. I wasn't a big fan of the stealth sections to be honest, primarily because the enemy AI seemed a little random as far as detection is concerned. Levels are very linear. I can't say I'm a fan of the "3 gun types" inventory system, but I've seen worse. Here's to hoping that they fix the issues in Last Light! Expand
  31. Mar 7, 2012
    Good fun on first playthrough but not much to offer past that. Levels are linear and you find yourself being pulled along by the game when what you want to do is stop, take a breath and look around. That said, the visual and sound design are very good and has some fantastic (quicktime) sequences, the atmosphere is excellent, though I wish the player was awarded more freedom.
  32. Feb 28, 2015
    Excellent English voice acting. Excellent detailed scenes. Very good storyline. So what's not to like? Well, I'm a casual gamer and even on the easiest level the game is difficult. After a while I lost interest in continually going through trial and error (die and retry) until I can get through a level. I don't like trying cheat codes but on this game I tried a few but they didn't seem toExcellent English voice acting. Excellent detailed scenes. Very good storyline. So what's not to like? Well, I'm a casual gamer and even on the easiest level the game is difficult. After a while I lost interest in continually going through trial and error (die and retry) until I can get through a level. I don't like trying cheat codes but on this game I tried a few but they didn't seem to work as expected. So, bottom line, I stopped playing the game and really don't have a desire to see it through till the end. I'll be satisfied reading a few spoilers. I suppose the developers realized how short the game was so they just made it harder so the player would thing the game was longer.

A very annoying element to the game is the overly loud wheezing and breathing with the mask on. I had to eventually turn down the sound and switch to subtitles to get a little relief. Even though the graphics was excellent, the developers went out of their way to try to visually degrade that quality when the player is wearing a mask. It didn't really add anything to the game by degrading the quality that much. It was jut another annoyance. Why do game developers like flashlights that last only a few minutes. Why not bring back kerosene miner's helmets? Get a load of the size of the charging unit!
  33. JnD
    Oct 6, 2012
    I wanted to give this game a 10 because of it's visuals and atmosphere. They were able to pull off sort of a Half-Life / F.E.A.R. mix, with a unique spin on things. Where the game started to fall apart was in the A.I. department, and the mechanics on how combat worked. To compare, Crysis Warhead offered very smooth game play, where this was a little stiff. The closest games I can think ofI wanted to give this game a 10 because of it's visuals and atmosphere. They were able to pull off sort of a Half-Life / F.E.A.R. mix, with a unique spin on things. Where the game started to fall apart was in the A.I. department, and the mechanics on how combat worked. To compare, Crysis Warhead offered very smooth game play, where this was a little stiff. The closest games I can think of as far as how movement feels would be Oblivion or Skyrim. Nothing against those games, but for a base FPS; moving, shooting, and aiming are critical. Having said all that, it's nowhere near bad enough to ruin the game as many seem to suggest. Where Metro shines as bright as the Sun is in the stunning visuals you see throughout the game. The models, textures, post process effects, lighting and atmosphere are outstanding. If you have a machine that can handle DX11, I can't think of a better game that fully uses that technology. If you can look past some rough edges when it comes to the A.I. and combat, this game is well worth buying, and playing through more than once. Expand
  34. Sep 10, 2012
    I'll give this game an eight, because I personally value story above gameplay. Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic FPS with survival horror elements. First off, the attention-to-detail is astounding: the amount of work that went into every tiny detail of the environment really helps draw you into the world even if it makes the linear levels somewhat confusing to navigate. The story is quiteI'll give this game an eight, because I personally value story above gameplay. Metro 2033 is a post-apocalyptic FPS with survival horror elements. First off, the attention-to-detail is astounding: the amount of work that went into every tiny detail of the environment really helps draw you into the world even if it makes the linear levels somewhat confusing to navigate. The story is quite well-done, although the inconsistency of the almost-silent protagonist can be jarring; the main character, Artyom, briefs each mission beforehand in the form of a diary but goes completely silent once gameplay resumes. The game also has the makings of quite a good atmosphere but never really takes full advantage of it, being quite creepy at best but never very scary. The gameplay is Metro's weakest point: I'm sure I don't need to go over the AI problem and gunplay, just scroll down to one of the hum drum 0's down there. So quick summary; good story, interesting atmosphere, average gameplay, linear levels and great attention-to-detail. Expand
  35. Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, game is linear.
    Yes, game does not offer characters to really have a relationship with.
    Yes, the main character (you) cannot talk during the game, only talks in cut scenes. Yes, the game has not weapon customization, but a few weapons to choose from. Althought above 'missing features' the game is: still very enjoying to play even if you know some enemies will pop-up after 3rd
    Yes, game is linear.
    Yes, game does not offer characters to really have a relationship with.
    Yes, the game has not weapon customization, but a few weapons to choose from.

Althought above 'missing features' the game is:

still very enjoying to play even if you know some enemies will pop-up after 3rd time play.
    still has a story that could depict the future earth if we are truly so stupid to think war solves problems.
    still.... only the small world that is heavily scripted, creates the immersion if I compare this with
    games like Skyrim, I rather have Metro 2033. The reason is simple: the action moments are very compact, good scriptted action after good scripted action. In skyrim, you have to wait and see what happens. Usually skyrim gives another boring fight. THAT's why so many people like me like Metro 2033.

I am not giving a 10 because it can still be improved.
  36. Dec 28, 2013
    My favorite FPS shooter right below BioShock. Metro is incredibly unique and has one of the most polished feels I've ever experienced. You know an FPS is good when you literally have enjoyment from just shooting the gun itself, even if it's not at a target. This game is just so interestingly fascinating and has it's own entire style. The game length is perfect as well, just the right timeMy favorite FPS shooter right below BioShock. Metro is incredibly unique and has one of the most polished feels I've ever experienced. You know an FPS is good when you literally have enjoyment from just shooting the gun itself, even if it's not at a target. This game is just so interestingly fascinating and has it's own entire style. The game length is perfect as well, just the right time for the story it tells, which is very cool to follow as well. Has some great humor in some parts and a very fair learning curve. Great balancing as well, it really makes you feel like you're surviving off the bare minimum. Despite people's complaining about graphic issues, this game is almost flawless. I've come across a couple bugs, and as long as you have a good computer, you'll have no problem running this game, which is absolutely beautiful by the way! If you're sick of half-assed FPS's that just want money (CoD comes to mind), get this game, it will give you hope for the FPS genre yet. Expand
  37. Sep 21, 2013
    I enjoyed the story and I wish there was more of the supernatural events that occur near the beginning throughout the game, after the first 1/4 I bought Last Light, but as the game went on I hope I don't regret the purchase, 2033 had some very drawn out parts, particularly the combat, which features retarded AI that takes away any fun; I found myself playing through parts to view the cutI enjoyed the story and I wish there was more of the supernatural events that occur near the beginning throughout the game, after the first 1/4 I bought Last Light, but as the game went on I hope I don't regret the purchase, 2033 had some very drawn out parts, particularly the combat, which features retarded AI that takes away any fun; I found myself playing through parts to view the cut scenes and get to the atmospheric areas, ie. the safe areas, they are beautiful, I found myself just standing to listen to the music at some points.
    YES IT IS LINEAR. Get over it. BOOKS are rather linear too; you don't read a book that tells you a story from page 1 to 300 and get upset you can't flip around as you choose. I think one needs to realize that, it's not open world; and it does a good job at telling that story and utilizing elements that could not be found in multiplayer.
    Cons: AI is retarded, sometimes they just walk around in circles or get stuck in a path. A little drawn out, 10hrs to play, but only 6hrs had me "hooked", most of the combat I did not enjoy due to the AI. No save feature, sometimes the auto save would save when my mask got cracked, so I'd have to restart the whole level, huge piss off. There will be scenes where you will have to look on youtube to figure out what to do, judging by the comments on the videos, I am far from being alone here. Even though it's linear, there are 3-4 places where you will ask yourself "wtf does the game want me to do?!!?"
    Pros: Features not found in other games, like the gas mask and creative use of cutscenes. The ending is quite interesting, abstract and dream like. I questioned my "choices", I wondered what some of the cut scenes were all along. (I wish the game had MORE of those and less combat).
    5/10 Rainy day game, 10hrs to beat. Will not play again. Get it on sale. I'm hoping Last Light solves all these issues, I look forward to the atmospheres I will find there.
  38. May 5, 2013
    This has to be one of the best games I've ever played! The atmosphere is the best I've ever seen in a game and the story is so...good. There are a few bugs here and there but it's nothing that will keep you from playing the game. The game is not very long but the first time you play it it will take 7- 10 hours would be my guess, but you could probably complete it in 5 hours in you rushThis has to be one of the best games I've ever played! The atmosphere is the best I've ever seen in a game and the story is so...good. There are a few bugs here and there but it's nothing that will keep you from playing the game. The game is not very long but the first time you play it it will take 7- 10 hours would be my guess, but you could probably complete it in 5 hours in you rush like hell. If you haven't played Metro 2033 then go play it!!! Can't wait for Metro: last light!! Expand
  39. Jan 18, 2012
    OK I just finished this game and it was pretty good. Like most people have said the ending left a bit to be desired. But it was scary enough and enough action to make it a good game. Other than the ending the only complaints I have were the walking and running were a bit odd in how they were designed and when an human enemy died....well...let's just say you aren't that vocal when youOK I just finished this game and it was pretty good. Like most people have said the ending left a bit to be desired. But it was scary enough and enough action to make it a good game. Other than the ending the only complaints I have were the walking and running were a bit odd in how they were designed and when an human enemy died....well...let's just say you aren't that vocal when you die lol. Also, there were a times when it took too many shots to kill someone or something. All in all though for $5.43 (total off of steam) and playing for about 27 hours ($.20/hr) it was a great bargain and worth the time to play it. Expand
  40. May 17, 2013
    For the reason at the bottom of this review I'll go post this on the x360 page too.

Among the best atmosphere in a game so far, it's somehow linear but in way that makes you feel more free than how you actually are, in this game you actually cares about your weapons and stuff, you can feel every bullet you or your enemies fires, you have to fight against various kinds of threats, enemies, time and fears in an environment that really sucks you in, it's a mature and tense experience able to drag a bit of the scary kid out of everyone no matters age or experience, kids you are warned.
    Complaints about a narrow FOV are just nonsense from beginners, this game is supposed to give a good amount of claustrophobic feeling and is pretty damn good at it, complaints about weapons "feeling" lets clearly understand who played it with a controller and who didn't, usually mouse and keyboard doesn't have a rumble pack inside, actually a controller is the best way to play many games and many PC gamers have to realize that mouse and keyboard weren't planned to play games while a controller, yes. The sounds are creepy and relaxing at a right pace, the graphics looks really good but are heavy at higher settings on non high-spec or old machines, the AI is balanced and challenging, if you walk on glass or alarms, no wonder they will hear you and suspect something is going on, in a reality in which everything can kill you the fact they set up traps an get immediately alerted is quite reasonable, it's not about "you" but everyone and "everything" could be there.
    Many of the few complaints I've seen here among the negative reviews seems to come from beginners or people scared by this game that are actually searching for other reasons to mask their feelings and to "punish" the game...childish, there are people simply giving a 0 to this game due to the fact they haven't understood this game or they've thought it were something else, NO, it's not Call of Duty, it's a damn immersive experience and it NEEDS a more narrow field of view than other shooters for kids, it's an engaging, immersive and amusingly punitive hard-core experience for mature "minds" regardless of physical age.
    Few "here and there" and the fact that on PC it has heavily requirements to be pushed to the limit would require a little lowering of my rating that would approximate more a high 9 than a 10 but the fact that there are people giving out 0-4 not being able to roam the configuration menus or not reading all the hints the game gives out lead me to round this up to 10 just to balance this unfairness, a good game getting bad rating from bad players is something that drives me mad, when I realize that a game is not my kind and or I don't have enough skill to play it, simply I don't drop crap on it giving a bad rating and blaming as a fault of the game itself.

The short version is: I've played it on the 360 a first time and decided to replay it on PC to enjoy better graphics and sound lately while waiting for Last Light, by my point of view it's a masterpiece and never gets old, every serious gamer should not miss this experience.
  41. Nov 25, 2012
    A game that oozes atmosphere with it's immersive setting, complemented with high quality graphics and sound effects. Metro puts in place a solid story that works but the gameplay is where Metro 2033 falls short. Getting the gameplay right is essential which is why I'm giving this only a 6 despite all the other niceties. The stealth aspect is completely broken and the gunplay isn't exactlyA game that oozes atmosphere with it's immersive setting, complemented with high quality graphics and sound effects. Metro puts in place a solid story that works but the gameplay is where Metro 2033 falls short. Getting the gameplay right is essential which is why I'm giving this only a 6 despite all the other niceties. The stealth aspect is completely broken and the gunplay isn't exactly stellar. A lot of the time, I found levels to be dull and tedious. There are a few innovative ideas here and there that I like, but it doesn't cover up the mediocre firefights and stealthy bits. Expand
  42. Mar 14, 2012
    If there was better optimalization of the game i would give higher. Captivating story told through the game. Certainly one of the best single player FPS i have played recently. You can choose to play stealth style in some places and it was entertaining to find a way around. Characters fit the story and fulfill their roles there was nothing much breaking there. All in all well deserved 8.
  43. Sep 18, 2013
    After 3 years of almost ignoring this game, Steam had a sale and got it. FLIPPING AMAZING.

Is easily the best FPS story shooter since Bishock 1 and is WAY better then Bio Infinite. (also better then its successor Last Light)
  44. Jul 27, 2014
    I liked this game for all the reasons I hated DOOM. Unlike most horror games where they rely on cheap thrills there was more development here placing the player into the game-world. I rarely felt like the thrills and chills were cliche, there was typically a reason for enemies to be where they were or for the player. The game was linear and short but this is forgivable because the qualityI liked this game for all the reasons I hated DOOM. Unlike most horror games where they rely on cheap thrills there was more development here placing the player into the game-world. I rarely felt like the thrills and chills were cliche, there was typically a reason for enemies to be where they were or for the player. The game was linear and short but this is forgivable because the quality was good and they did hint at the book they were promoting throughout the game. This didn't bother me so much because it was just something present in the background throughout the game but not pushed on the player so much. There were many times where I felt I was on a theme park ride being projected from one sequence to the next as the linear progression developed from one chapter to the next and I often felt like I was rushing through to keep the story going. I had a similar experience with their sequel Metro: Last Light. This game is definitely worth playing, I'd suggest playing normal mode and or hardest, then going back and playing it on the easiest setting just to go trigger-happy. Unfortunately there are no dev kits for this game series--which would be really cool to further support the developers by recycling assets for more playing time. Like a movie you can only play through the game so many times before it gets old... the assets in this series would be excellent for some zombie survival genre or horror knockoffs by fans. Expand
  45. Apr 17, 2013
    This is a fantastic game that requires stealth and knowing when to fire. I found that when I was running into trouble I was shooting when it was far better to hold my fire and conserve ammo. The story is VERY well written, the voice acting is remarkably good and the immersion is unprecedented. This is NOT an easy game even on normal. I can only imagine how rough it is using Ranger mode.This is a fantastic game that requires stealth and knowing when to fire. I found that when I was running into trouble I was shooting when it was far better to hold my fire and conserve ammo. The story is VERY well written, the voice acting is remarkably good and the immersion is unprecedented. This is NOT an easy game even on normal. I can only imagine how rough it is using Ranger mode. I am very impressed and enjoyed it so much I pre-ordered Last Light which I NEVER do.

I am convinced that those who gave it negative reviews simply dislike that they had to THINK rather than just run and gun like COD, Battlefield and a whole host of other marginal FPS games.
  46. Jun 1, 2013
    WHY THE HELL DID I MISS THIS ON RELEASE!? What a totally awesome experience! Those guys at 4A did one hell of a job! Others have already said the good bits so my advice, if you love gripping and immersive horror shooters, GET THIS GAME NOW!
  47. Oct 7, 2012
    Very good game, and also, very frightening. It does take a bit of skill to get through, even on difficulty 'normal'. The design is very nice, and if you are out after a scary game, this is the one you're looking for ;). The thing keeping this down a bit is - I think this was mentioned in another review - the lack of exploration. There isn't much space to run around wherever you want. ButVery good game, and also, very frightening. It does take a bit of skill to get through, even on difficulty 'normal'. The design is very nice, and if you are out after a scary game, this is the one you're looking for ;). The thing keeping this down a bit is - I think this was mentioned in another review - the lack of exploration. There isn't much space to run around wherever you want. But to counter that -- You don't want to run around and explore in this game! You want to finish the task you've been given, and complete the quest. So for anyone looking for a scary game, this is the one. Expand
  48. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is extremely good regarding graphic and atmosphere: you really feel like a survivor in a after-bomb world, trying to survive against mutants, communists and nazis.
    You can count on several weapons, upgradable with silencers, scopes, ecc. The story itself is enjoyable, and longevity is good (about 20 hours on Hard).
    The bad? You can't quicksave, human enemies are extremely
    The bad? You can't quicksave, human enemies are extremely deadly even from afar, mutants aren't as scary as they try to be. Also, you'll die much, very much, from human fire: keep it in mind.
    If you can stand a game which wants you to work hard for every inch of progress, paying you off with beautiful scenery and atmosphere, then get Metro 2033.
  49. Jun 23, 2013
    Linear, linear, linear. I thought we were past this by now? Yes, tunnels can be linear but why can't I barge through a wooden barricade or cut a wire fence to find an alternative route? And when I'm in the open, why the hell can't I climb up a wall or pass through some trees to avoid a boss fight?

Some aspects of the game are quite good but, for me, it was overshadowed by the distinct lack of choices and the limited size of the maps.

On a positive side it looks pretty good. But there were plenty of areas that looked like they were low resolution textures, which I found quite disappointing when I spotted them. It's not as bad as Rage though nothing could be THAT bad.

So, the game ok. But for mew it was a disappointment and certainly not worth $60.
  50. May 19, 2013
    Metro 2033 is set in a dark and bleak world. Where humanity is at it's last and in hope of surviving from the mutant hordes and other people. This game delivers a good setting where no other video game took, underground in the Moscow Metro. After the war, which has not much been told of. The surface of Moscow and the rest of the world has become irradiated with toxic air, requiring you toMetro 2033 is set in a dark and bleak world. Where humanity is at it's last and in hope of surviving from the mutant hordes and other people. This game delivers a good setting where no other video game took, underground in the Moscow Metro. After the war, which has not much been told of. The surface of Moscow and the rest of the world has become irradiated with toxic air, requiring you to wear your gas mask at all times. You will need to look around for filters, to continue breathing and living. But at the same time you have to be aware of mutants that roam the surface. It's story is well told in it's well done setting and atmosphere. Graphically it looks good but not good at the same time. It's combat is not that well caught up to now but it's fine. Though stealth is a huge problem and broken, don't try to go on that approach. You will indeed have to scavenge for ammo at all times, even in the surface. But in the metro, the air is not toxic in most areas. Those are the only spots which you may breathe without a gas mask. The game also delivers a well told story starring a man named Artyom, who survived the great war and retreated into the Moscow Metro with the others. Metro 2033 almost has it's own mystery behind it, that makes you wonder what all the fuzz is about. But it feels as if only half of the mystery is only answered, leaving it at the center of satisfaction. Overall, this game may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a fresh atmosphere, cool setting, and a well told story. This game may surprise you. It may be worth it. Expand
  51. Feb 5, 2014
    A great game very different from what someone would expect from a first-person-shooter. The atmosphere is original and top notch, the graphics hold up pretty well and the firefights are exhillerating. Something from the atmosphere of the first Gears of War, FEAR and a lot of darkness.

The drawbacks are that it has a steep learning curve and the AI is problematic. Also the game could use some puzzles or smthing like puzzles because of its nature. The story and universe are incredible, though I expected a bit more info up till the end.

Overall, the authenticity is there and except from a few problems, I can't wait till I get my hands on Last Light. The PC version is far superior to the console version.
  52. Jan 8, 2013
    Really good gameplay, a great atmosphere, it just feels a bit rushed and strange to play is all. Also, this thing will eat your graphics card alive, be sure to ask your local supercomputer company if they have rentals.
  53. Jun 10, 2014
    This game's extremely short, but my mere 8 hours of experience was awesome.

Very, very atmospheric and beautiful.

The only "con" I can find with this game is its seemingly awkward combat mechanics (against the mutants).
  54. Apr 3, 2013
    Metro 2033 is a great shooter. The story is captivating because it’s believable. It’s not outrageous like Bioshock or run-of-the-mill like every other blockbuster FPS. It’s sad, yet hopeful. There is the incredible urgency of trying to save a world that was lost long ago. Living on a planet scarred by nuclear war would not be easy, and the developers did an outstanding job conveying the hMetro 2033 is a great shooter. The story is captivating because it’s believable. It’s not outrageous like Bioshock or run-of-the-mill like every other blockbuster FPS. It’s sad, yet hopeful. There is the incredible urgency of trying to save a world that was lost long ago. Living on a planet scarred by nuclear war would not be easy, and the developers did an outstanding job conveying the h the hardships of post-apocalyptic life. Metro is definitely not for novices. Even on medium difficulty, enemies are brutal and take massive amounts of damage before dying (which I enjoyed). The difficulty is heightened since supplies are scarce, so players must conserve ammo and do fair amounts of exploring to gather hidden goodies. There are a few shops, but goods are expensive. Some players will simply run and gun only to realize too late that they have exhausted their supplies and ammo. Overall, the game design achieves the desperation of living underground. Graphically, Metro really shines. The environments are truly amazing, and the attention to detail is impeccable. The contrast between the dark, oppressive tunnels and the bright, bleak surface is exceptional and worthy of the praise this game has received. The missing HUD display is a welcome novelty allowing players to enjoy the sights unobstructed. Unfortunately, NPC’s aren’t so lucky. Character animations are a bit clunky and reminiscent of the original Witcher. Even worse, the same character models (especially for children and women) are recycled over and over again. They will always say the same things when passing by. This breaks the immersion to an otherwise believable world. The biggest flaw with Metro’s game engine is the sluggish frame rates. Even on a beast machine, the game will slow to a crawl at times, such as after throwing grenades and close quarters combat. Screen tearing is a problem as well. There is no menu option to enable vertical syncing. Forcing v-sync manually thru my graphics card settings helped a little, but tearing crept up throughout the game, even during cinematics. Combat is a decent overall. The reviewers complaining that combat are taking the wrong approach. I used a control pad and had no issues blasting away at enemies or executing a flawless knife kill. Each gun has a unique feel, and everyone should experiment to find the ideal loadout. On the downside, the stealth mechanics are lacking. Sniping does not get the same results when placing the exact same shots. The character might fall silently, or he might scream and flail around as he falls alerting everyone. If players are really unlucky, the target will spin around and blast them. The unpredictability might be built into the game to up the challenge, but a shot thru the neck should be deadly. If detected, all enemies will immediately know your location even if you’re hiding in the darkest corner of the level. The AI is not particularly smart, but baddies compensate with insane accuracy. When detected, run like hell and find cover. After reloading certain levels, I noticed detection is also a gamble. Sometimes I could use throwing knives and complete a section, but other times I would be detected as soon as the second enemy dropped. Even crawling had mixed results. The lack of silent takedowns contributes to the frustration. Stealth missions are a large part of the experience, so I’m really disappointed at the lack of polish. Since stealth is lackluster, I recommend players use a combination of stealth and run-and-gun. Blasting away at baddies is more fun, and using controlled, well-placed shots will conserve ammo. If limited ammo is an issue, spam grenades. They’re everywhere. Enemies tend to group, so cooked grenades will net multiple kills. Although stealth mechanics are a missed opportunity in Metro, the lack of interaction with NPC’s is an even bigger one. Stations are brimming with inhabitants, yet players can only talk to a few. Exploration is also limited, and one station players visit cannot be explored at all. Although these limitations are more than likely intentional to keep the story moving, it makes them no less disappointing. The developers offer a beautiful world and then dictate a linear path for us to follow. There are moments when tension in the game builds, but it fails to scare us. It’s ironic that a game noted for its haunting environments lets the tension fizzle out when players should be jumping from their seats. Nonetheless, this is a game worth owning. It has a lot to offer even if it falls short in some areas. The game would be worthy of a higher score, but the developers should’ve ironed out the graphical hiccups, allowed more exploration, and fine-tuned the enemy AI before release. Expand
  55. Jul 7, 2015
    i'm not an expert on fps games and can't talk about how well are the weapons and their feelings in the game. i, however, can say that the atmosphere, the mood, the story and the uniqueness of this game is very good.
  56. Sep 8, 2014
    The game is pretty good although it runs very poorly and it is very limited from a technical point of view. The general atmosphere of the game makes up for it though. 8/10 . They could've done more with the Redux version.
  57. Apr 17, 2013
    Absolutely marvelous. Only thing that could have been better, yet not enough to turn down, is the lack of melee. It's quite a challenge to dodge enemies while swapping weapons and when you're out of ammo and have a dinky knife to slash with. But that's it, manage over that and you'll really enjoy this game
  58. Apr 20, 2013
    Good: Atmosphere, Controls, Graphics, Story, Levels, Stealth and Action, Enemies, Disversified, Gunplay, Difficulties, Horror,...

Bad: Lack of an FOV option, but can be fixed through .cfg, face animations and people animations are poor, but they don´t interrupt or disturb the atmosphere in the game. A.I. sometimes. It´s linear. This game is fantastic! It plays smooth, you have an

This game is fantastic! It plays smooth, you have an incredible atmosphere and some really spooky horror scenarios. The story is well spoken and there´s an morality system where you can gather points for the alternate ending. Stealth is hard but works and action is very satisfying. The only problems this game has is the bad A.I. which behaves sometimes like it would have an wallhack. Also the movement and face animations of the NPC´s are bad. But that´s no problem at all. It doesn´t disturb you from anything, because you will like the characters and their stories. Stealth is working only with the Stealth suit you buy at the Communist Station before the frontline mission. There´s a Armored one too but with him you can´t sneak properly. The biggest problem is that it´s very linear. If you only like Open World games then you shouldnt buy this game, but if you have no problem with that, then buy the game now and Pre Order Metro Last Light too, because this game is a experience you shouldn´t miss!
  59. Apr 3, 2013
    I loved this game. That being said, their are some considerable flaws. The foremost of which is probably the difficulty curve. Anyone who's played it will remember that the library level was sheer hell to get through. Despite this, I had a lot of fun, and Metro 2033 brings a lot of things to the table that I'd like to see in other games. They way armor is handled (at least on enemies) isI loved this game. That being said, their are some considerable flaws. The foremost of which is probably the difficulty curve. Anyone who's played it will remember that the library level was sheer hell to get through. Despite this, I had a lot of fun, and Metro 2033 brings a lot of things to the table that I'd like to see in other games. They way armor is handled (at least on enemies) is so obvious, but I almost never seen it implemented anywhere else.
    Did I forget to mention the atmosphere? The atmosphere is great. Also, the post apocalyptic Russian setting is incredibly cool.
    The game also has a way of making you feel connected to the characters you encounter, especially your first companion. Little, in-game cut-scenes give you the distinct impression that the two of you rely on one another, and I liked seeing that.
    The ending of the game makes you feel like which I don't blame it for. It's good when a game can get an emotional reaction out of you. The part that ruined it for me is that you can avert the "bad" ending by fulfilling a multitude of various and arbitrary conditions throughout the game.
  60. Aug 7, 2013
    This is game fantastic if you enjoy fighting mutants from a post apocalyptic Russia where you are forced to live in underground metro stations. I enjoyed every single moment when playing through the game, although I found that pc port is pretty bad. I find myself constantly getting motion sickness playing at a fov of 45. Although you can alter this in the user.cfg file it does make theThis is game fantastic if you enjoy fighting mutants from a post apocalyptic Russia where you are forced to live in underground metro stations. I enjoyed every single moment when playing through the game, although I found that pc port is pretty bad. I find myself constantly getting motion sickness playing at a fov of 45. Although you can alter this in the user.cfg file it does make the game unappealing to look at as you get massive amounts of fish eye. Expand
  61. May 4, 2013
    Great story, amazing atmosphere, characters range from "great" to "can I shoot him?", shootin' is ok, AI is mediocre, stealth can be pretty bad, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the maps that you could sneak through without killing anyone, graphics are ok (I don't really follow frame rates so if there is no discernible lag I am happy). Some levels and ideas are effin amazing and some areGreat story, amazing atmosphere, characters range from "great" to "can I shoot him?", shootin' is ok, AI is mediocre, stealth can be pretty bad, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the maps that you could sneak through without killing anyone, graphics are ok (I don't really follow frame rates so if there is no discernible lag I am happy). Some levels and ideas are effin amazing and some are utter garbage... So, overall, the game is ok, but why do I score it as a 9? because I love post-apocalyptic stories and this was a great one! also 2.50 on steam sale!!! Expand
  62. Jun 20, 2013
    Mediocre Story Great Atmosphere Bad Combat/Hit Detection KICKASS Graphics Bad character development. Genuinely overrated as well as Metro:Last Light. If goes on sale pick up.
  63. May 6, 2013
    Metro is one of those few games that can be played again and again; although, not necessarily with a wildly different outcome or anything deep like that. It’s a very linear and in many ways a very average first person shooter, but it is in the details and a number of unique inserts that make this game oh so great.
    Now I have a problem with making good introductions for most games, but
    Now I have a problem with making good introductions for most games, but don’t let this intro deter you from owning this fantastic game. It draws you in and speaks to you. It beckons you to play it on harder and harder levels until you find yourself on the streets of Moscow on ranger hardcore mode as you’re down to your last air filter and only eight rounds left in your magazine as a horde of monsters come storming your position and you think back to when you were at that last station and you could have spent those last few military grade rounds on those needed supplies, but you didn’t. Then you die. That is what Metro 2033 is.
    The game is well made in many different ways to complement the areas that fall short. The gunplay, for example; it makes up the vast majority of the game, so it better be something. Thankfully it is, and not just the shooting. The guns are all pretty unique, aside from the AK47 and the P90 but even those are pretty fun since they are so rare. Also there are the shotguns which are just so creative and cool, and thankfully the guns give a realistic kick and sound effect. Honestly, that really is where it counts. I can’t even remember all the game that I’ve played where the guns sound like toys and are dead shots every time.
    Adding to the immersion of the weapons there is also the vulnerability of the enemies and the difficulty of the difficulty levels. I can’t stand it when the only time you get a realistic play-through is when you play on super-ultra-mega easy mode, and then it’s so easy that you never die. In this game the enemies have the same vulnerability in every difficulty level, and damaging them depends on where you hit them. I could never stand it when I’m playing on hardcore mode in some other game and I find myself unloading an entire magazine of high powered ammo from a sniper rifle right into the head of an enemy at point blank range and then they kill me anyway. What is that crap?
    In Metro 2033, when you up the difficulty it does more than just set the enemy on god mode and send you on your way. In this game you lose the things that you would normally take for granted. The AI gets smarter, you lose your HUD, your targeting reticle, things get more expensive, you need to drop what weighs you down and stock up on gas mask filters. The game actually gets harder and not just the enemies, but they do get harder too. There is a pack mentality with the enemies as they strike at you in a vicious and stealthy fashion, or they’ll ambush you by plowing through a wall and throwing you out a window. They don’t get god mode, they get smart. The AI in this game is something to awe at.
    But continuing on with the emersion of the game with the extreme amount of detail that was placed into the surroundings, and due to its linear nature the game the team was able to add even more detail than if it were a free-roaming RPG. The tunnels are dank and dark and often give you the feeling that you are being watched at all times. Most companies would squander the gifts of a linear shooter and just do the bare minimum in order to make the bottom line bigger, but not with this one. The tunnels give a true post-apocalyptic view of the world as nothing seems to live outside of the few, tightly packed towns scattered about the metro systems. These towns are often packed with people and action and all kinds of noise, but not just stalk noise, you can walk up to any two people and hear the conversation going on between the two or hear customers haggling with shop keepers, or even get in some local lore as solders and STALKERS discus what going on in the outside world. Needless to say the enviroments are true to life.
    But of course there’s more to the game than the looks and the gunplay, the story is pretty good as well, even if it is a little generic by today’s standards. You play as Artyom, a slightly reluctant hero whom idolizes the Rangers, a group of elite waste walkers that brave the wastelands above to get old world supplies and tech back to the people in the metro. He finds himself thrust into a dire scenario that will shape the future of humanity as he fights through hordes of mutated creatures to defeat the unseen Homo-Novus and save his people. If this game weren’t based off of a best-selling book I would say that story was made with a game storyline mad-libs book, but it’s all of the wonderful little redeeming qualities of the actual gameplay that make up for the story’s shortcomings.
    This one gets an 8. It is an Excellent game and a great addition to the FPS family.
  64. May 6, 2013
    This game (DESPITE what many say about it) is an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC game. True, there are problems with it (hopefully Metro: Last Light addresses these) but almost nothing that detracts from the overall experience. First of all, this game was meant to be enjoyed and experienced, and should be treated as such, and I think alot of the complaints of this game are because its not beingThis game (DESPITE what many say about it) is an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC game. True, there are problems with it (hopefully Metro: Last Light addresses these) but almost nothing that detracts from the overall experience. First of all, this game was meant to be enjoyed and experienced, and should be treated as such, and I think alot of the complaints of this game are because its not being played the way the developers meant. If you are just running and gunning your way through, or just skipping through all the cut-scenes and playing as fast as you can, then your doing it wrong, and this isnt the game for you.

The graphics are GORGEOUS and should be enjoyed. Take some time and look at the details of the environments and the people/monsters around you. Light dimly reflects off of rusty metal surfaces, shadows flicker all around you, smoke and fog drift up from the tracks, your breath fogs up your gas mask, the heat from your rifles barrel distorts your vision, every effect beautifully done and perfectly placed.

The sound is incredible, drips of water splash in the background, wails of ghosts echo in the pipes, heavy breathing of unseen monsters haunts you, your footsteps crunch over broken glass alerting nearby bandits of your presence. Every sound is masterfully done and clues you in to unseen dangers if you pay attention to them.

The gameplay is epically terrifying and fits the mood perfectly. Every decision has consequences and you must ration supplies and salvage everything you can to survive. As your flashlight dims, you weigh the consequences of pulling out your charger and taking the time to charge it, making it brighter. A group of monsters bears down at you, can you survive them with the metro-made "dirty" ammo? Or do you switch to your precious pre-apocalypse military rounds that doubles as currency? Your gas-mask starts to fog up and your breathing gets more and more labored, do you take time to switch out your filter cartridge? Or do you wait and hope it lasts until your safely away?

All the gear is perfectly suited to the atmosphere and the period. Everything from the home-made weapons (like the inaccurate, overheating "bastard" gun, the 6-shot revolver style shotgun, or the hand-pump silent pneumatic pellet/spear guns), to treasured pre-war supplies and everything it takes to keep it all going is well thought out and works just like post-apocalypse solutions should.

The level design may be quite linear (although there are MANY little side areas to explore for extra gear and supplies) but it suits the game well, like a dark twisting metro tunnel. Some may also not like the checkpoint style auto-save, but again, it suits the game well, as they are perfectly spaced (the saves always come at a proper time in little gaps in the action) and having manual saves would make the game far too easy, as none of the decisions you make would have any consequences.

All in all, this game is an incredibly immersive and thoroughly terrifying survival experience in a post-apocalyptic metro system. Its few minor shortcomings are FAR outweighed by the overall experience and many of them were conscious decisions that better suit the game than alternatives. If your having trouble enjoying or getting into this game, then start over, dive in and let yourself be drawn into the game, instead of simply trying to beat it.
  65. May 16, 2013
    Where do I start, this game just simply sucks you into its gameplay with the fun combat system and extremely scary narrative. This game is best played when you're alone in the dark with headphones on. I normally don't review games especially this high of rating. this game is extremely underrated and deserves a lot more credit than most of the critics have given it. If you like F.E.A.R orWhere do I start, this game just simply sucks you into its gameplay with the fun combat system and extremely scary narrative. This game is best played when you're alone in the dark with headphones on. I normally don't review games especially this high of rating. this game is extremely underrated and deserves a lot more credit than most of the critics have given it. If you like F.E.A.R or Amnesia at all then you must get this game. Expand
  66. May 18, 2013
    This is the Best FPS in the world, in story,protagonist,voice acting,music is fit for the game,atmosphere is unique.not like last light in my opinion that is a failure.
  67. May 26, 2013
    It was a great enjoyable game with a nice story, but the game was unstable for certain graphic cards.
    The weapons are nice and the graphics delivers a good scary atmosphere.
  68. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Hard going underground

Hard going underground

METRO 2033 is a flawed and glitchy game that is wholly redeemed by it’s great atmosphere. As a fan of survival horror I was hoping for something truly creepy, like the old Silent Hill games used to be, and it pretty much delivered on that front. Post-apocalyptic Moscow and its subway system are populated by some pretty nasty creatures (as well as groups of Nazi soldiers, which is perhaps a little incongruous) and I was properly startled on several occasions when these critters jumped out of nowhere. The game looks pretty good, if not outstanding, and the gameplay itself it pretty straightforward FPS fare. There are quite a few glitches though, such as lag when gun swapping, sticking points where there’s nothing to get stuck on, and enemies that behave oddly and seem to have ESP. These glitches can make the game frustrating at times. It’s also a pretty tough game, but that’s not a criticism. If you like survival horror, and can put up with the frustrations, this game is definitely worth a play through.
  69. May 23, 2013
    Metro 2033 is quite an interesting interpretation of the fantastic book. It certainly was a "pen test" and in the future will be much better. Former STALKER developers have pleased another good, quality, well thought-out game.
  70. Sep 8, 2014
    It's an interesting angle that it's East European, and not Americanised, which makes a change. Stunning graphics in places, and they say it requires a powerful graphics card. I'd say any mid-ranged and modern card would make a good go of it.

The atmosphere that everyone talks about yes that is there and it's fab. I like the stuff like wood-burning fires powering trolleys on metro lines. It draws the player into the despair and savagery of the post-apocalyptic scenario. Buildings are smashed, people live underground, and they are hunted by men and beasts.

I have played it six times now and will buy the Redux version when it is on sale again. It's that good to me, and I have seen others say the same in Steam forums. If you buy Metro 2033 in a Steam sale you have little to complain about. You will get your money value easy.

I had problems with the game though on my first playing:
    There are five difficulty levels. I chose the middle one as I always do. I did not realise I had chosen the tough setting, because I didn't understand what the ranger modes were. The result was I found it blisteringly difficult.

The game cutscenes when you reach a certain point. Infuriatingly you may not have explored the whole area you were in. You may have a choice of two ways to go to explore. You go one way bam cutscene. You may have left good weapons behind, or ammo.
  71. Jun 1, 2013
    I finished Metro 2033 in just over 10 hours, I decided I would play it before I play last light (Which I yet to play). Metro 2033 succeeds in it's atmosphere. Visually the game is beautiful. There is no argument. Whilst encountering a couple of bad drops in FPS (Chapter 6) I still found myself in awe in more than one occasion, from looking out into the shattered Moscow skyline, to hearingI finished Metro 2033 in just over 10 hours, I decided I would play it before I play last light (Which I yet to play). Metro 2033 succeeds in it's atmosphere. Visually the game is beautiful. There is no argument. Whilst encountering a couple of bad drops in FPS (Chapter 6) I still found myself in awe in more than one occasion, from looking out into the shattered Moscow skyline, to hearing the echoes of the men trying to kill me from a dark dusty tunnel. The monsters feel real, dangerous and most importantly, terrifying (Chapter 5).

The game itself, for the play factor, is a linear shooter. Don't expect to go running round the Post-Apocalyptic Moscow to your hearts desire. You will have one place to go, and you play through the journey there. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed playing through Artyoms (Who you play) story, but I found myself aching to roam off into the network of tunnels and make my own story, to discover what else this world can hold. I found myself asking more questions, than I was getting answered. What's down there? How did this happen? Whats in that tunnel? Whats that in the distance? Etc, etc. However embrace what you get, and you find yourself sometimes forgetting the path is already made.

Take your time. That is the best advice I have, the game is relatively short, make sure you get engaged with whats happening. Not just in terms of the World you're in. But also the dangers and problems you will encounter. To name such a few, Ammo. Take every last bullet you can find. Because you may not find anymore for a long time. The monsters. They hit hard, they hit fast, and they don't die easily (unlike you) This game can be very unforgiving and you may sometimes find yourself in a seemingly impossible situation, requiring you to restart the level because your checkpoint is at a spot of hopeless peril.

TL;DR:
    All in all, if you're deciding whether to buy this, for the price it's at now? Yes. You get an incredible snippet story from Artyoms life. A world that can completely take you out of your room, and into the nuclear wasteland of Moscow. Short, and in terms of game play, simple, but a powerful engaging story of a world that you won't forget. An open world Metro would be a dream, but this won't ruin your experience. They did a great job making sure the player will keep playing (If you have ammo ofcourse), And you will most likely enjoy the story you get given. I would rate this 7.5 if I could.

PROS: CONS:
    Atmosphere A very linear story
    Detail Difficulty (I'm good enough at games to know this one was tough!)
    Story FPS drops
  72. Nov 1, 2013
    The team behind Metro 2033, Ukraine studio 4A Games formed by ex GSC Game World programmers who had previously worked on S.T.A.L.K.E.R before leaving in 2004 to pursue the project in question.

In terms of Metro's literary effort, the writers did a fairly admirable job. The story core concept loosely adapted from the novel of the same name is definitely intriguing and interesting nuclear war decimates the world, strange mutants emerged in the aftermath, in Moscow surviving human inhabitants forced to the underground tunnels due to the radioactive conditions above.

The story exposition segments in Metro 2033 are done during the loading screens, where Artyom (the protagonist) tells of events unfolding, and his feelings thereof but also he meets key characters along the way where more is revealed through in-game conversations. Yeah, the voice acting is good it was wise to use actual Russian speakers rather than some Bollywood bozos it really goes a long way with keeping you tuned in to the highly distinctive and unique atmosphere. That last word of the previous sentence is probably Metro's primary strength the foreboding tunnels, dark, mysterious you're not quite sure what lurks around the next corner.

The meat action presented in Metro 2033 is undeniably fun, and in ways retroactively akin to Stalker as you are pitted against familiar foes in mutants and bandits. The AI scripts are quite honest, when facing the human opponents it is darn near as exhilarating as Monolith's horror opus F.E.A.R. The enemies show some similar belief of life preservation as you, by means of hanging back in the shadows, often shooting from cover, forcing you into making the first move. Again, much like the Stalker games the bandits taunt you with comical 'colourful' phrases, but amicably it does get a little repetitive over time. As for the mutants, they weren't as cunning as I was expecting. Much like Dead Space they suddenly (yet sneakily) emerge from all over the shop, but unlike the kind of calculated deliberation of offensive attacks needed to survive in the aforesaid game, in Metro 2033 the only genuine prerequisite to success is not to stand still. I guess some minor gripes concerning the AI scripts are the enemies awareness of your presence can be noticeably questionable at times. The mutants killer instincts here seemed to have needed to be tightened up.

The weapons you get to play around with are a bit on the orthodox side. We have a few pistols, machine guns, shotguns (Cool Bayonet!) And sticks of dynamite. Oh, I almost forgot, there is a pneumatic gun you have to pump for increased damage & accuracy Very Cool! Metro 2033 eludes a little to stealth, here with silencers, throwing knives, night-vision goggles etc. but honestly, by & large this is a served-straight- up shooter.

In terms of some game mechanics, It is interesting to note for all you 'old timers' the game-play inspiration roots conceivably go all the way back to the original Doom if you think about it Remember the radioactive pools which demanded the use of radiation protection suits that would only hold out for a limited time before the mad dash to find the next one? Same deal in Metro. But instead here you collect Gas masks and oxygen filters from dead people in order to safely negotiate such toxic zones. One cool touch in particular is your Gas mask can get cracked open by mutant claws for instance, necessitating the need to seek out a new one. Admittedly, the frantic scurry to find oxygen filters in the wild frozen landscape topside provide some of the most exciting and memorable parts of the whole game.

I really enjoyed the strong focus on exploration in Metro seeking out the illustrious shiny golden military-grade bullets gives you something else to think about while gazing about the tunnels by the illuminating hue of your torch light. Keeping your weapons stocked isn't too much of a daunting task you can spend a great deal of time meticulously looting all the corpses dotted around, whereby you take ammo and equipment directly off the unfortunate fellow's person this kind of realistic detail is welcome.

From a visual standpoint, Metro is impressive. The perpetual dark tunnel's shows off the great light sourcing effects complete with sparkling dust drifting through the air, and you will see many a headlamp swaying aglow in the dark. The character models look quite similar to the ones in Stalker not surprisingly, sporting the traditional heavy Specnaz armour and helmets sometimes it is hard to believe there aren't some legacy materials at work from the old Stalker betas though. The mutants themselves look suitably creepy, gnarled and interesting. All in all the game engine technology pulls everything off quite admirably, even if your rig isn't at the bleeding edge of tech. The optimization was definitely better than I was expecting.

In sum, Metro 2033 is a very accomplished and atmospheric story-driven shooter.
  73. Jun 29, 2013
    Metro 2033 is based inside the metro-tunnels of Moscow, in a post-apocalyptic world. Mankind falls from the top of the food-chain and has to struggle to survive. Mutants roam in the tunnels and flying demons hunt on the poisoned skies above. And mankind has turned against each other, fighting over resources that are left. And the new "Homo Novus", a new phase of evolution, seeks to replaceMetro 2033 is based inside the metro-tunnels of Moscow, in a post-apocalyptic world. Mankind falls from the top of the food-chain and has to struggle to survive. Mutants roam in the tunnels and flying demons hunt on the poisoned skies above. And mankind has turned against each other, fighting over resources that are left. And the new "Homo Novus", a new phase of evolution, seeks to replace mankind. This game has more or less typical story and atmosphere, but the best part is the claustrophobic combat inside the tunnels, your weapons are homemade and the only "weapon of the old world" is the classic AK-47. The currency of the metro is military-grade bullets, which are effective in combat or can be used to buy weapons, ammunition and supplies. The story and it's result is formed by the way play. So being stealthy and acting unselfish to the other NPCs has it's own benefits. Even though you have a knife and some throwing knives, the stealth is still pretty hard, almost impossible, because you have to be in an exact spot to kill an enemy silently and with only one stab. So the stealth in this game is quite kinky and the story isn't a wow-factor, so this game is only fun, when blasting enemies with full power, using your entire arsenal. Expand
  74. Jun 26, 2013
    Pros
    Atmosphere
    Story
    Difficulty

Cons
    Bugs in stealth & combat
    Short
    Never really explains morality system and alternate endings

Metro 2033 understands atmosphere like no other and can lead to moments of genuine panic (staring at librarian's) that few other games can emulate what let's it down is its length and the bugs still present years later
  75. Jul 16, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I was pretty excited about it. The graphics are amazing, the environment is superb, and the story grabbed my attention well enough. After awhile though the awe of the graphics and environment wear off and what you have is a game that is nowhere near deserving the score of 81 it has on this site.

The AI is just terrible, one moment they will be

The AI is just terrible, one moment they will be picking you off across the map in the dark and another moment they'll be hiding behind cover with their backs to you. At one time one was shooting a turret at me even when I got well past it's swivel range, I stood there beside him while he unloaded his turret as close as it could get to me. The sneaking levels are horrendous. The first time I encountered a level where the game obviously wanted me to sneak around and take people out I made the mistake of thinking I could kill quietly from behind with a knife in my hand, boy was I wrong! Instead of sneaking up on a patrol and holding my hand over his mouth and sliding my knife over his jugular, my guy proceeds to slash the knife across his back which is a noise everyone in the entire room recognizes and pinpoints immediately and on top of that the knife doesn't kill him. The throwing knives, which I had one of, seem to work for the most part in killing silently but if that enemy happens to fall on the throwing knife you're not getting it back. I played this game awhile fully expecting it to get better, (it got an 8.2 from users which is the score I listen to over the critics, it's got to get better!) unfortunately it never did. The game was becoming a chore but I paid good money for this game so I kept at it until I came upon the dreaded amoeba stage. This stage is just terrible, if you're one of those people that becomes frustrated when a game starts you over for your AI partner dying then avoid this game! It's not even that the AI dies over and over it's that he doesn't even try to live! He walks full on into these exploding balls of goo, my god man! Do something! Run! Shoot! Stop walking into them and dying! If the AI and stealth levels were anywhere close to decent then this game would be deserving of the 8.2 but it's an unpolished mess and deserves a 6 at the most.
  76. Jul 26, 2013
    The first successful shooter, made in the former Soviet Union. The first thing to give is to first read the book. You will have no problem understanding the story, the universe, and many others.
    Game atmospheric, very interesting and linear (that's good).
    Developers from 4A Games convincingly proved their world-class professionalism.
    Please check and recharge the weapon go to the Circle line
  77. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Overview:
    Metro 2033 was a unique gaming experience. As far as Post-Apocalyptic settings go, the immersion level of this game exceeds that of any game I have played prior. Characters are unique, and interesting, and the environment truly makes you feel as though any moment could be your last.

Gameplay:
    Metro 2033 has all the standards for FPS RPG, and has an even amount of positives to negatives. On the positive side, the gameplay is fluid, and what breaks you do endure between chapter sections offer narrative to make the wait less annoying. The narrative also helps keep the storyline together, as well as give you a perspective into your character’s thoughts and feelings. On the negative side, your character has no dialogue beyond this narrative, and you have no conversational choices beyond a scarce few ready-checks (two exceptions to that come to mind, but are minor in detail). This negative, however, is altogether unimportant considering the bigger picture that your character is in a post-apocalyptic world and giving them options to be perky or silly would diminish the atmosphere. Besides, that’s Ulman’s job.

On the plus side, you have a variety of weapons from which to choose. Your sturdy tactical knife is your savior if you run out of ammo or explosives. Throwing knives, while limited in the quantity you can carry, are extremely effective and silent; key for stealthing through levels. Revolvers come with a number of different attachment options, but the grand-daddy of them all has a scope, silencer, extended barrel, stock and laser pointer. The downside is, it’s still just a six-shooter, so there’s frequent reloading. Primary and secondary weapons vary in power, magazine size, and it’s up to the user’s preference for what they’d prefer. Just take note that some weapons require pumping or charging, and even if they have a full clip, they will not fire without pressure/charge. Bombs sum up your arsenal, and they come in two types: traditional and sticky. These, like the throwing knives, are capped at 5 for your inventory.

A downside to the weapons is that you may not know exactly what it is you’re carrying. If you have a lousy memory (like yours truly), then you are out of luck for the Weaponsmith achievement, which requires getting a kill with each weapon in the game. The only time you see a weapon’s name in-game is when at a vendor. The same goes for the ammo your weapon uses. You will need to memorize which weapon shoots what kind of ammo, so you will know what to buy from a vendor later as not all guns fire the same size ammunition.

Another challenge in the game is that certain areas require a gas mask, and you guessed it, your air is limited by the number of filters you have. Your mask also takes damage, so watch how many times you take a hit, you could find yourself enemy-free but suffocating while scrambling to find a discarded replacement on the wasteland surface. There are night-vision goggles available for sale as part of the stealth armor bundle from the vendors in-game, and in a few select places in the Metro itself. These are great for those who prefer to sneak their way around enemies, or those looking to get the achievements for no-kills on specific levels.

Story:
    The story is well rounded, and it is easy to lose yourself in the world of the Metro. Your character’s home station is in danger, and you feel compelled to go out into what’s left of the world in a desperate attempt to save it. This leads you from station to station beneath the surface, fighting your way through enemies both human and non. You meet many people along the way who help you, but the world is a lethal and unforgiving place. By the end, you will have lost more than you have gained, in the way of allies, but it’s not for me to say who makes it and who doesn’t. While roaming the Metro, just remember that no one is safe.

The story has two endings, however only one of them is considered canon as it is the one upon which the premise of the sequel, Metro Last Light, is based. In order to be able to choose between the two endings, you’re required to obtain a certain number of moral points. These are not explained in-game, though several guides online can walk you through how to get as many as possible to net yourself the choice. Some cannot be obtained if you choose another route (for example, one moral point might be awarded for going through a level without killing anyone, but another might be added for accessing something in-game that you cannot possibly access without getting the attention of enemies and needing to fight your way out).

Summary:
    To wrap it up, Metro 2033 is a great buy. The few downsides aren’t enough to phase you from playing at least twice through, happily. The characters are memorable, the dialogue is realistic, and the environment is so frighteningly possible, you’ll be taking a deep breath or two just to remind yourself you’re above ground and don’t need a mask.
  78. Jul 27, 2013
    It's a really good game, definitely one of my top 10. The gameplay is slow and deliberative (assuming you don't play on the easiest settings), all about ammo and med-kit conservation, being aware of your surroundings, and avoiding encounters. Though you don't like stealth you should still have enough resources to Rambo you're way through situations. Good graphics, good story, decentIt's a really good game, definitely one of my top 10. The gameplay is slow and deliberative (assuming you don't play on the easiest settings), all about ammo and med-kit conservation, being aware of your surroundings, and avoiding encounters. Though you don't like stealth you should still have enough resources to Rambo you're way through situations. Good graphics, good story, decent dialogue, amazing atmosphere. It's like S.A.L.K.E.R Half Life I guess. Pretty good though. I'm looking forward to playing it again on a higher difficulty. Expand
  79. Sep 1, 2014
    the good:
    + beautiful game, good sound and wonderful atmosphere.
    (going through abandoned tunnels have never been soo scary) the bad: - terrible/unrealistic AI (AI has 100% accuracy in a dark room from a mile away, they also get alerted to your presence very easily) - bad game mechanics: (stealth is encouraged, but no stealth kills unless u throw a knife (silenced guns and
    the good:
    + beautiful game, good sound and wonderful atmosphere.
    (going through abandoned tunnels have never been soo scary)

the bad:
    - terrible/unrealistic AI

- bad game mechanics:
    (stealth is encouraged, but no stealth kills unless u throw a knife (silenced guns and melee dont work)

- bad save game system:
    (saves when you are being shot at, which results to an endless loop of deaths)

-bad writing
    (characters appear out of nowhere with no reason at all, unrealistic story ie: sneaking through a base undetected only for the enemy to know exactly which door you going to use to capture you in a cutscene)
  80. Sep 9, 2013
    This game was a ton of fun to play. The story was excellent and the mechanics were great. My only problem is that there are just about two or three character face models and most of the time I had no idea who I was talking to or their importance because they looked the same as the last five people I talked to.
  81. Dec 20, 2013
    There is something about this game, the setting, the story, the gameplay, it just really found a niche in me. I thoroughly enjoy being able to use a working stealth mechanic in a FPS when I decide to use it and not having it force me to take a certain route. There was not a single moment in the game where I wasn't enjoying it.
  82. Mar 2, 2014
    One of the best shooter games I have ever played. Although there are some frustrating sections(I play on Ranger difficulty), I can't stop myself from coming back to it again and again until I beat the game. I don't have a good graphics card so I have to run it on low settings but It still looks very impressive and often jaw dropping. Even with my settings I get fully immersed because ofOne of the best shooter games I have ever played. Although there are some frustrating sections(I play on Ranger difficulty), I can't stop myself from coming back to it again and again until I beat the game. I don't have a good graphics card so I have to run it on low settings but It still looks very impressive and often jaw dropping. Even with my settings I get fully immersed because of the superb audio throughout the game. The weapons, the gadgets, the gas mask, the monsters, everything about this game is believable because it has a base in reality. Overall the experience this game will give you is worth much more than even the price of the initial release. Expand
  83. Oct 10, 2013
    I would Say The Game is good and bad at the same time cause the atmosphere of the game was good, the story and the AMAZING graphics! But the bad things about it was the characters and enemies.
    First i'll go with the enemies then the characters.
    First i'll go with the enemies then the characters.
    The enemies are pretty much too smart and they are so hard to hit even with like one of the most powerful gun in the game but they won't die! Like the monsters i shot most of my precious Military Grade Ammo and i just killed like 2 or 3 Monsters...

Now on too the characters The characters have good back story they're good and all BUT they are just TOUR GUIDES they just kill all the enemies for you and soak up the potential of the game... I hope you think this is a honest review
  84. Nov 25, 2013
    Great game with an incredible atmosphere. Between the terrifying monsters, or those moments when your flashlight suddenly goes out, the game is a well paced, solidly constructed experience. Levels are based around metro stations and the tunnels that connect them and the many sights you see make for an unforgettable journey. The post-apocalyptic lifestyle of the denizens of the metro isGreat game with an incredible atmosphere. Between the terrifying monsters, or those moments when your flashlight suddenly goes out, the game is a well paced, solidly constructed experience. Levels are based around metro stations and the tunnels that connect them and the many sights you see make for an unforgettable journey. The post-apocalyptic lifestyle of the denizens of the metro is brilliantly realised, making for an incredibly moody game. Expand
  85. Feb 12, 2014
    Lots of killing, good voice acting, graphics are good. The steam version of the game has a bug that makes it crash at Chapter 4 The Depot. Tried the "fix": stand up, face backwards, lowest resolution, mask and lights off, click heels together three times. Can't pass the glitch. Still waiting for this 'interesting story' to appear in Chapter 4 of 7: won't hold my breath. Wasn't enjoying itLots of killing, good voice acting, graphics are good. The steam version of the game has a bug that makes it crash at Chapter 4 The Depot. Tried the "fix": stand up, face backwards, lowest resolution, mask and lights off, click heels together three times. Can't pass the glitch. Still waiting for this 'interesting story' to appear in Chapter 4 of 7: won't hold my breath. Wasn't enjoying it much anyway. Expand
  86. Nov 24, 2013
    The story line of this game is not what got me playing. Beautiful graphics with a very well put together atmosphere is what kept me going though. Artyom is well narrated and the player can relate to his character and what he's going through quite quickly. It's one of those games you'll want to replay when you get that brand new speedy graphics card as this game is still a benchmark forThe story line of this game is not what got me playing. Beautiful graphics with a very well put together atmosphere is what kept me going though. Artyom is well narrated and the player can relate to his character and what he's going through quite quickly. It's one of those games you'll want to replay when you get that brand new speedy graphics card as this game is still a benchmark for many new generation video cards. Expand
  87. Jan 27, 2014
    Well... I've just installed ( after waiting five hours !!! ) it on steam and only played like 10 minutes of it, and i Think its amazing so far. I mean damn.
  88. Jul 18, 2014
    I played this game some years after its release so lot of technical issues reported soon after launch were solved. Never had any problems. The game is cool, has a good story and really builds up an unique atmosphere. It mantains tension up! Shooter aspects of the game are not so developed so the experience will not be as smooth as other FPS. The campain ended to soon, i would have likedI played this game some years after its release so lot of technical issues reported soon after launch were solved. Never had any problems. The game is cool, has a good story and really builds up an unique atmosphere. It mantains tension up! Shooter aspects of the game are not so developed so the experience will not be as smooth as other FPS. The campain ended to soon, i would have liked the experience to go on a little longer. Expand
  89. Nov 13, 2016
    Really liked playing Metro 2033 a lot. One of the most atmospheric shooters I have ever played. You easily get involved with the story and the game play gives you plenty moments of tension and amazement. Great stuff!
  90. Mar 29, 2017
    I've played the REDUX version and I was very impressed by the aritistic work put into this game. Animations and voice acting are superb.

As a story driven game, it has a very interesting gameplay. The story is revealed through the actions, the dialoges and the notes that you find on your way. It's easy to loose your life in the game, as a result of wrong assumptions you make. You are

It's easy to loose your life in the game, as a result of wrong assumptions you make. You are the hero but assuming this role at all times leads to certain death. Sometimes you just have to run away or through the danger zone, other times you need to hide and stay safe while your support team clears the way. You often find yourself exploring an area, to find your way through. Other times you need to carefully follow the instructions provided and save your ammo or oxygen, to live long enough.

If you enjoy story driven first person shooter games, this game is definitely worth your time. It will get you excited, it will scare you to death, it will make you feel lucky to be stay alive!
  91. Apr 2, 2014
    Metro 2033 is still one of my favourite Games of all time! I really like the Story and all the Characters in the Game! The atmosphere is always excellent and scary! The story will take all over the Moscow Metro! The ending i pretty awesome and i fully recommend the Game!

10 out of 10!
  92. Jun 1, 2014
    I really dig this game. It's dark creepy undertone is enough to make you hesitate when turning corners and the odd hallucinations and supernatural happenings keep you on the edge of your seat. My only complaint is that the stealth mechanics need a lot of work. Some of the stealth levels are borderline frustrating to complete. However, this is only a problem in a couple places and it was anI really dig this game. It's dark creepy undertone is enough to make you hesitate when turning corners and the odd hallucinations and supernatural happenings keep you on the edge of your seat. My only complaint is that the stealth mechanics need a lot of work. Some of the stealth levels are borderline frustrating to complete. However, this is only a problem in a couple places and it was an overall decent game to play. Expand
  93. Jun 16, 2014
    Московский Метрополитен. Сам я в столице нашей родины еще не был, а так, заочно, игра позволяет там побывать.
    Как уже следует из названия, почти всю игру мы будем бегать по различным туннелям метро, изредка попадая на поверхность. Да оно и понятно, наверху вода радиоактивна, а воздух содержит какие-то тяжелые примеси, смертельные для человека.
    Сама игра очень атмосферна, разнообразна на
    Сама игра очень атмосферна, разнообразна на геймплей, динамичные стычки с бандитами на станциях сменяются темными "запутанными" туннелями, попутно знакомимся с далеко не сладкой жизнью людей в пост-апокалиптическом мире.
    Я сейчас, даже не о постоянных атаках мутировавших монстров на человеческие поселения, а о простой бытовой жизни, в которой люди живут в комнате состоящей из одной кровати и только, а дети играют всяким мусором или молотками (в игре встретите).
    У каждого персонажа на станции своя история за душой, свои мысли.

Геймплей:

Понравилось отношение разработчиков к деталям. Очень чуствуется как они делали упор на реализм.
    Оружие интересное и оригинальное, не очень много, а с собой носить можно только 3 единицы стрелкового и 2 единицы метательного, плюс нож-кастет. Нет автоматической перезарадки, если последний патрон в обойме ушел в ствол, жди осечку. Патронов всегда мало. Еще интересный момент, пороховой дым от выстрела застилает обзор, что мешает сделать последующий выстрел, и это прикольно. Все враги ходят в шлемах, а больше половины еще и в противогазах. Поэтому убить таких с одного выстрела можно попав точно в шею, с боку или сзади. Ну или сбив предварительно этот шлем. Но тогда враги подниают тревогу. Иногда вам дадут пострелять со станкового пулемета и огнемета, но это мелочи.

По состоянию на 2014 год, хочется отметить такие плюсы игры:

+Стори Лайн. Отличная, динамичная, в меру загадочная, сюжетная линия, от лица человека который всю жизнь прожил под землей в метро. Спойлерить не буду.
    +Атмосфера. Метро и темнота. Апокалипсис и безнадежность. Разруха и выживаемость.
    +Геймплей. Перестрелки с врагами-людьми интересны. Так же возможно проходить уровни по стелсу.
    Враги особым разнообразием не блещут, люди, мутанты. Есть некое разнообразие в способах убийства противников.Очень понравилось использование патронов в качестве валюты. Наличие ограниченного времени действия противогаза.Пороховой дым от выстрела застилает обзор. Динамо-машинка для зарядки фонарика и прибора ночного видения.
    +Искусственный интеллект. Враги точны, используют укрытия, и закидывают Артема гранатами.
    +Картинка. Фотографичные, высококачественные текстуры радуют глаз.
    +Физика. Предметы в игре ведут себя как в жизни. По большей части. И общую картинку не портят.
    +Оптимизация хорошая. Игра не вылетает. Но крайне жрет ресурсы, и на "квалити" проседает. На ноуте, только на "нормал" настройках хороший фпс выдает.

Из минусов присутствуют:

-Игра слишком короткая.
    -Линейна. Никакой свободы действия и побочных заданий.
    -Дурацкая система сохранений на основе отдельных сейв-поинтов.

В итоге мы получаем приятную, проработанную стрелялку от первого лица, c возможностью повторного прохождения, для получения альтернативной концовки и лучшего усвоения сюжета . Игра с отличной атмосферой и интересным сюжетом.
  94. May 27, 2014
    Still one of the best games ever, even when its year 2014. Amazing graphics, damn good story, interesting system of inventory. Check your bullets every ten steps if you dont want to be dead. And gas mask too ;) .Full of action, monsters and amazing places you will discover. One of the best games definitely.
  95. Dec 3, 2014
    Metro 2033 es un titulo en el cual te debes meter, es sobre inmersión, de meterte en el mundo destruido con sus habitantes al borde de la locura....

El juego es un shooter en primera persona, en si el gameplay es muy simple. Se basa en disparar y ocultarte. Los disparos son como todo shooter, el prota puede disparar con la puntería de una militar a pesar de nunca haber usado un arma, pero el sigilo y la falta de munición rompen lo aburrido que puede ser como en CoD. Como este mundo esta en ruinas tienes que asegurarte de buscar por todas partes municiones y saber disparar, créeme, si vas como idiota disparando la munición no te durara, por lo que el sigilo es clave si estas en dificultades altas. El sigilo es muy simple, a veces injusto, pero sirve y si sabes como moverte es divertido. La única forma de matar sigilosamente son con cuchillos arrojadizos, y valla que son el arma mas poderosa de todo el juego. Si tienes 5 cuchillos arrojadizos puedes acabar hasta con el mutante mas poderosa del juego. Pero la dificultad al inicio esta bien, será desafiante por el miedo que puede generar ver que horribles y poderosas creaturas han salido de este mundo. La historia te envuelve ya que esta muy bien presentada y desarrollada, con sus personajes, sus lugares calidos, amigables y los peligrosos y aterradores. Este juego esta para disfrutar la historia, y después puedes rejugarlo para ver el final alternativo, conseguir logros o simplemente ver detalles que al principio perdiste. Sin embargo, a pesar de su simple pero divertido sistema de shooter y sigilo tiene sus problemas. Este juego de verdad necesitaba mejores momentos pre-fabricados, o quick time event, las secuencias que lo tienen o podrían pasar como escenas de CGI. Lo único que tienes que hacer cuando hay que presionar botones es presionar rápidamente E y listo. No pares de presionar E, eso es todo. Es aburrido y a veces te hace pensar por que no fue una escena o porque no le pusieron un poco mas de empeño. Otra cosa es que la dificultad sale algo herida, una ves que sabes apuntar, disparar en **** cortas y ser sigiloso, lo cual no es muy difícil de aprender, se vuelve fácil. Por eso sufre la re-jugabilidad, no será un reto la siguiente ves. También la I.A. no es muy buena, a veces te verán aunque estés oculto muy bien y otras veces podrás correr a su lado y dirán: que fue eso? Probablemente una rata o un espíritu, seguro eso eh oído. Otra cosa es que no hay jefes ni subjefes. En un mundo con MUTANTES necesitas JEFES, aun que sea simples para romper un poco el gameplay divertido eso si, pero algo repetitivo después de un rato. Sin embargo estos problemas no afectan al final de la experiencia, es un gran juego no hay duda. Puede que si haz jugado Last Light no te guste por que no esta tan afilado como su secuela, pero yo te recomiendo empezar por aquí. Pero no esta en steam, ahora solo se puede jugar el Redux que aun no eh conseguido, pero si el Redux mejoro lo que ya había aquí no puedo esperar por probarlo. Le doy un 08/10 es un muy buen juego que no será una obra maestra pero si tiene grandes momentos y una gran forma de meterte en su mundo, espero que la serie no haya terminado con el Last Light porque de verdad quiero volver muchas mas veces a este mundo.
  96. Jun 24, 2015
    I love the Metro series, from this game Metro 2033, to its sister sequel Metro Last Light from 4A Games, focuses on the horror above the Metro and Artyom. The game was good, but was a little put off when the people with you always do the stuff for you and you just watch. Also the enemy AI was a bit dumb and too clever in the Stealth sections, when you hit off a light and it makes a noise,I love the Metro series, from this game Metro 2033, to its sister sequel Metro Last Light from 4A Games, focuses on the horror above the Metro and Artyom. The game was good, but was a little put off when the people with you always do the stuff for you and you just watch. Also the enemy AI was a bit dumb and too clever in the Stealth sections, when you hit off a light and it makes a noise, the enemy AI will know exactly where you are hiding which kinda put me off. And the Ranger Mode, is a true survival game, with no HUD, limited ammo and many more features taken away from you, it is truly a game worth getting! Expand
  97. Jun 23, 2014
    One of the first Single player games I found super enjoyable, the "upkeep" sort of mechanics were not too obtrusive and created an edge of urgency. This compounded with the lack of ammunition really made this game standout to me. Sad to say the new one just did not feel the same.
  98. Aug 21, 2014
    Never has the post-apocalyptic world looked so beautiful.

Metro 2033 is a superb post-apocalyptic shooter, simply put. The world of the Moscow Metro subway lines gives a feeling of familiarity and foreboding at the same time. Especially since some of the lines and stations are abandoned and overrun by the horrors of the dark. While the game is linear, the atmosphere makes it so it's
    Never has the post-apocalyptic world looked so beautiful.

While the game is linear, the atmosphere makes it so it's still a fresh experience after each mission.

The graphics are, even in 2014's standards, absolutely breathtaking. And even today, this game makes your PC work HARD to run it at a good framerate with all the eye candy turned on. My gaming laptop is capable of running it on maximum, but I have to compromise on the advanced depth of field and AA to prevent it from running extremely hot.

In short, if you plan on getting this game and you have a computer that's not up to par, you may not have a very good experience, unless you play the game on low settings. But even then, on low settings, the game looks better than many of today's titles.

if you're afraid that this will just be a "techdemo" shooter, rest assured in the fact that the game delivers a very satisfying challenge even in the normal difficulty setting. It's quite brutal on the "Ranger" settings as well, as every enemy presents a true obstacle to your progress, and ammo is VERY scarce.

I love post-apocalyptic fiction, which might explain why this review may seem a *little* biased.

In general though, this is a superb game that's well worth experiencing for yourself. Just make sure you have a good computer :)
  99. Aug 29, 2014
    EXCELLENT! It is more innovations so that the world needs. 're Already tired of the games based on Call of Duty, Counter-Strike, and the rest of the FPS games like these. (Brazil)
  100. Sep 10, 2015
    Easily one of the best games of the year. HORRIBLY under-rated! A 58 from 1UP? Because of some minor issues..... This game is the most atmospheric and immersive shooter I have ever played. Maybe the most atmospheric game, period. This is like another Bioshock or actually more like Half-Life 2 to me, I could see myself playing through this game multiple times.

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
    Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.