8.1

1. Dec 20, 2011
    Awesome ambiance/atmosphere (which is the reason you should buy this game) then, decent story, so-so gunfights, lovely monsters.
    Arthom (the main character) is one you will not forget soon, even if he is not that charismatic, the game is and that renders the hero charismatic too. kinda.
    The lifetime is poor (you can finish the game in 5hours, maybe even less if you rush), but the game is
    really intense and you can find it at a really low price now on, its really worth your money. Expand
  2. Aug 28, 2010
    Beautiful game. Although it is very short and linear. But that's not always a bad thing and it's especially not a bad thing in Metro 2033. It has an amazing story, fun gameplay, and cool weapons. However i still want the DLC for PC. It's been a few weeks and still nothing.
  3. Oct 16, 2010
    This is a perfect game. When I saw the game on the internet I thought that it was a cheap ripoff of STALKER, but I was wrong... Terribly wrong. I played Metro 2033 demo and I didn't think that a game could be so good. The first few hours are the most fun but the last two chapters are rather boring. Metro does have a few drawbacks. These are: time needed to complete the game (too short), a few extra weapons wouldn't hurt (not enough weapons) and last and most important - IT DOESN'T HAVE A MP. Everything else is just perfect. The Ranger pack is exciting especially the HARDCORE mode. I wish I never bought the game because it almost turned me into an addict, and it didn't had a multiplayer mode. I wish they made a expansion (nothing to do with the BOOK Metro 2033) and put a Multiplayer there. To sum up this is a great game so if you are want to buy this game but.... BUY IT!! Expand
  4. Oct 27, 2010
    excellent graphics engine, immersive story, albeit pretty linear. ChrisP needs to stop crying so much, this is a good game, and I'm not "industry" or a fanboy. Just a PC gamer with a high end computer and an appreciation for new games with good or better execution. Metro 2033, wins.
  5. Oct 16, 2011
    I enjoyed it a lot and it is was a great steal for $5. It is not overloaded with RPG elements, but has just enough to add to the realism of the game. The atmosphere and storyline keep you interested and the monsters are incredible since they never feel familiar. They always keep you on your toes and can scare the crap out of you. I think the biggest problem is just getting into it in the first place. The perspective is a weird first person that takes some time to get used to; very hard to describe. Also if you have DX11 enabled make sure to turn off DOF for significant performance improvement.

It is well worth trying at least.
  6. Dec 26, 2010
    Every FPS fan should pick up this game. The attention to detail reminds me of when I first played Half-Life 2 and went...holy effing crap...I was a little upset to hear that a reviewer from X-Play claimed Fallout 3 has more depth than this game. I found Fallout 3 to be extremely repetitive and unbalanced, and boring with a crummy story. This game has none of those short commings, and the length is well balanced too. This is game is really polished and deserves your attention and your $ Expand
  7. Dec 9, 2010
    A very interesting story & a hauntingly beautiful game. The first thing that will strike you about Metro 2033 is that the incredibly well crafted game world is beautiful but yet quite somber as you would expect it to be in a post apocalyptic world. Some of the most beautiful things in the game are also some of the most deadly such as environmental hazards. I really enjoyed the story which pulled me in like a good book and had me wanting to find out more about what was going on when the game would only really hand out tidbits now & then.

The gun play in the game is thoroughly enjoyable although I think some of the AI could have used a bit of work as AI soldiers occasionally make odd decisions. I did find that it was nice to have the choice between using stealth in some areas or just going in guns blazing (the later was often the more difficult option). I see most of the low review scores are from people with performance complaints, so people should keep in mind this is a Direct X 11 game and is meant for Next Gen hardware so a 2+ year old computer is going to struggle especially if you have a lower end CPU.

If you have a mid to high end computer and are after a good Single player FPS with a fantastic story and beautiful engine then this is the game for you.
  8. Jul 2, 2011
    This is the most atmospheric game I've ever played. Every single room, character, and environment is amazingly detailed. This highly under-appreciated game deserves your full attention. While the masses enjoy their superficial BioShock's the truly enlightened will adore Metro 2033's artistic and technical brilliance. Some games are meant to be played and tossed aside, but Metro 2033 is meant to go deep into your soul and evolve you into the next level of gamer. So yeah, I liked it. Expand
  9. Jan 28, 2011
    Eines der besten Spiele die ich je gespielt habe...Sehr spannend und super Atmosphäre.
    Nachdem ich das Spiel gespielt habe möchte ich auch unbedingt die Bücher lesen( und das als Lesemuffel)
    Wenn ihr auf düstere Ego-Shooter steht holt es euch
  10. Jul 20, 2011
    When i first got the game I took note of how it was based off of a novel, after this, since im obsessed with games that have amazing stories, had to buy metro. After I had gotten to play it for a bit i noted how great the atmosphere was. It gave you a realistic feel of life in the metro. The gameplay had it's ups and its downs but for the most part it was quite enjoyable and challenging. I spent around 19 hours on the game. The visuals were just beautiful as well. Now for the bad part...As often complained about the AI is amazingly...How to put this, Retarded. Sometimes it will give you a good laugh though. You will see an enemy instantly take cover and be watchful and protective, only problem is the take cover at the wall your facing, not even in cover from you, like, kind of...right in front of you. Also don't go to it expecting the amazing story the book had, its way off. Some characters aren't included, some fates are changed....Common stuff like that. Another great thing i forgot to mention is the voice acting, its amazing.Great game to check out and it's only 20 bucks on steam. Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2010
    Should have been game of the year in many ways, this game is pretty great, a must have for any serious gamer who appreciates solid single player and immersive story.
  12. Jan 2, 2011
    O jogo é realmente muito bom! Os gráficos, a história e o combate são excelentes.
    Este é um jogo que difere da maioria dos FPS atuais:A Munição é limitada, logo você tem que ser muito preciso quando for atirar. Além disso, o nível de dificuldade
    é altíssimo, os inimigos não erram um tiro (sem falar dos monstros que aparecem toda hora!!!). Há muito tempo que eu não jogava um jogo desse nível(o último foi o HL2). A tensão é constante, os sustos também. Recomendo este jogo para quem está na busca por um FPS desafiante, com excelentes gráficos, enredo e história! Expand
  13. Oct 11, 2011
    You guys must have terrible graphics cards or you bought the wrong game because this game has top of the line graphics and the story is pretty neat. It isn't really a game designed for the console and the levels are pretty challenging. It scares me sometimes.
  14. Feb 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One hell of a game , i played this game 6x ,third time was the best , and played on ranger hardcore , if you want the choice at the end of this game ,play the good guy, its really amazing to play two endings, the auto shotgun is a beast , and the volt gun, buy lots of ammo , to do this sell the first volt gun , sold both volt guns , keep the third volt gun or auto shotgun,its up to you, never had so much fun playing this game, the scenes are amazing ,story is great , best game i ever played , never has one game cover all the bases , there is a price for this game , robust system , 8GB of ram ,GTX 470 SLI, if you want to see the eye candy in METRO 2033, and played it in all its glory , 34 fps at max settings , this is the price , any thing less is not acceptable . Expand
  15. Mar 14, 2011
    Best looking game currently available, period. If you have an Nvidia card (and let's be honest that's what you SHOULD have if you take graphics & gaming seriously) then you HAVE to experience this gem and all it's PHYSX glory.
    ATI **** can deal with it.

This was my favorite game of the past 2 years, cannot wait for the sequel. Go buy it now.
  16. May 15, 2011
    Game is beautiful. Graphics is near perfection. Plot is short and simple but interesting. Weapons are exactly, what they should be ( there are no fabs, so you won't get your new polished H&K Assault Rifle straight in action ). Everything else is on its place as well. Level design is dark and tight, because unused tunnels are mostly dark and tight. With good piece of hardware this game is pure pleasure to play. Expand
  17. Jul 16, 2012
    Other than being a tad to the short side, Metro 2033 is a very fun game. It's a lot like the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but has a better feel to the controls, and gameplay is a lot more solid. The graphics (depending on your configuration) can range from average current graphics to beautiful Crysis-like graphics. I got this on sale from Steam for $5, but it's easily worth $20.
  18. Apr 22, 2011
    When I picked up Metro 2033 I wasn't expecting anything extraordinary, just something to kill the time.. Boy was I wrong.

Metro 2033 ended up being one of the greatest video game experiences I have ever had, the atmosphere is by far the most immersive and interesting in any video game made to date, the game play and shooting elements are superb, most notably the stealth aspect of the game
    which is just amazing, the enemies act just how you think they would in real life situations, if you fire a shot in the darkness and hit somebody their friends will turn around and fire at the same spot in the darkness you fired from and not instantly knowing where you are even if you move or hide behind cover, which many stealth games seem to suffer from.

The only disappointment from Metro 2033 is the fact it isn't longer - not that it's short - I just didn't want it to ever end.
  19. Nov 20, 2011
    This is the best storyline-driven game i have ever played. it just draws you in with the incredible atmosphere, and extremely creepy and depressing setting.
    I understand what people are saying about this game not being polished enough, however. There are very fixable issues with it that just infuriate me as a gamer - such as many items (specifically air filters) not being pickup-able.
    This should have been caught in testing, and is pretty annoying. Other things like when the kid is on your back in "child" seem like bugs, but are not - even so the input lag on "child" is beyond annoying. Should have been left out.
    If you can get past the obvious faults, this is truly one of the best first person shooters ever. It is not supposed to be call of duty - and if that is what you are looking for then look elsewhere. It is a deep plotline thriller, which tries to really get to the heart of what it would be like after a nuclear apocalypse. I have never played a game with more deeply moved and disturbed me at the same time.
    Give this game a shot!
    As a sidenote - you absolutely need a cutting edge system to play this game, and if you do it will reward you. The DX11 textures are totally amazing - even on low settings. However, to play this game on high settings you basically need 2 graphics cards, or 1 $500 graphics card. Not the designers fault, but the price of entry is pretty high.
    Loved this game, i can't wait for the sequel!!!
  20. Apr 25, 2011
    I think this is one of the best FPS games I`ve EVER played... The atmosphere created involves you in a way that you forget all the world around you... I think the history is quite intrigating (including the fact that there is an alternative ending based on your final actions) despite being very original. The graphics are STUPENDOUS, I just can`t play it on the highest video options even with an I7 820QM, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM and 1Gb DDR5 Video Card... It`s just amazing and the price is quite fair. Congrats!!!!! Expand
  21. May 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one the best games of all time, the world is gritty and real feeling, this apocalyptic Russia will draw you in and seize you until you finish the game multiple times. The gameplay is realistic and you actually feel like your trying to survive, you will usually run out of ammo in weapons, and if your complete ammo stocks run out then we can say your screwed with your knife. This game actually kind of reminds me of Bioshock without splicers and plasmids. The mutants are primal and aggressive, and they will make you shoot like crazy. The human enemies will send you running to cover and watching your back, and the Dark Ones will send chills up your spine. 4A games outdid themselves. Expand
  22. Sep 4, 2011
    IMHO the best singleplayer FPS ever created (my first FPS was W3D :D ). Fantastic atmosphere , story ,gameplay, everything ... and i don't know what is more beautiful , graphics or music...
  23. Jun 1, 2011
    An absolute masterpiece of a game. The single most immersive game I have ever played; the graphics are absolutely beautiful, the characters are memorable, the gameplay is a breath of fresh air into the now long suffocating FPS genre (a la: Call of Duty, Halo, etc). The only thing to ward anyone off of this game would be its somewhat unrelenting difficulty at times, or specifically, one part; an escort type mission (If you've played it youll know what Im talking about).
    That single part of the game is the only negative thing I can think of about this game. The shooting mechanics are great, the stealth mechanics, while maybe not at the level of Splinter Cell, are reasonably good for a game not entirely bent around stealth.
    I love the use of military grade bullets as not only currency, but also as useable ammunition for your weapons, on one hand you can kill 20 enemies with just one magazine, on the other, you might not be able to buy as many new weapons, med packs, or suits the next chance you get.

I hear alot of complaints about the A.I. I personally never found the A.I. to be particularly smart or dumb, they were just your standard industry A.I. which suffered from all the industry standard issues; intelligence is no easy thing to program, and it shows; not just in Metro, but any game you will play, probably for the next 20 years or so.

As far as the guns themselves, the lower quality 'Metro made' weapons all look exactly that; thrown together with whatever spare scraps of metal are lying around, and pack an accompanying less than satisfactory punch, and even somehow manage to sound as cheap as they look. While the guns you will obtain later on are increasingly powerful and both look, and sound it. I specifically love some of the more creative home-brew guns found later on, the pneumatic rifles and such.

The story progresses at a perfect pace, allowing both the story and gameplay to unfold simultaneously and without interrupting each other. It keeps you interested, and you feel like there is a reason behind every action you must take, and are given choices throughout the game on which actions to take.

The graphics are absolutely stunning, given that you're playing it on PC, and you have a PC capable of running it at its max settings. 4A did a great job of either building the game for PC and porting it to consoles, or porting it from consoles for the PC, as it plays excellent on PC. The world is incredibly atmospheric, both in the Metro and in the destroyed wasteland that lies above.

Is this game for everyone? No. Absolutely not. People used to more run and gun games like Call of Duty (since 4 at least), Halo, Medal of Honor, etc, will likely not enjoy this type of game, though if played on the lowest difficulty, it could be played similarly. Likewise, people who play ARMAII and Operation Flashpoint type games, will likely consider the game to still be too frantic.
  24. Sep 1, 2011
    I paid for this game only 2,50 euro on steam sale.... really! Best 2,50 i have ever spent in my life. I would pay the full price for it, its worth it. The only cons are lack of multiplayer and not so great AI, everything else was done flawless.
  25. Dec 4, 2011
    QUite a masterpiece. although i could never understand as to why the demand for graphics is very high, because the game definitely doesnt look better than games with similar graphics requirements like Crysis or Witcher 2.
    the story line is excellent.
    Makes me very happy that i speak Russian, it is so much better in russian.
    it is similar game as STALKER series, athough the storyline is
    much better in terms of organization and completion and it is not an open world Expand
  26. Vio
    Nov 20, 2011
    Metro 2033 is the FPS with the best atmosphere and the best AI I have yet played. The graphics themselves are music to my high end PCs ears. The sound is amazing adding to feelings of claustrophobia and possibility of attack from any direction. The only thing that annoyed me was the difficulty in getting enough ammunition. Did I like it? OH YEA!
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is one of the masterpieces in game industry: very interesting alternative story, that has lots of common with book of the same name, but also has its own vision on events depicted in book; interesting gameplay with drops of stealth and other interesting elements; ost - marvelous.
    I really love the game and will buy sequel with no hesitation.
  28. Dec 7, 2011
    This is really awesome game with perfect ambience and story. However, the game is very short, but after beating the game you have a feeling that after reading a good book. Thanks to developers for that game. I hope the Metro Last Night will be much better !
  29. Dec 27, 2011
    This game was fantastic. The atmosphere, the stealth, the immersion and the combat were all amazing. I don't have many words to describe how satisfying the ending was. What has been annoying me here is far too many people complaining about how the game was "too hard" I played this thing on Ranger Hardcore on my first run through. No Hud , No hp bar, no real inventory, you get nothing and you die in 1-2 bullets, All you have to do is plan your attacks and realize you don't always have to fight. No single person can take 4-6 guys all with guns on their own. Seriously if this game is too hard for you go back to playing COD on your Xbox. Expand
  30. May 28, 2012
    Whoever doesn't rate this game a 10 out of 10 is insane. This is a masterpiece. The only considerable flaw is that on easy to hard modes it is too hard to kill enemies and to be killed. Unrealistic, basically. BUT, with the addiction of the ranger difficulties, this problem goes away completely. It's an entire new game in ranger hardcore. This is one of the best games ever.
  31. Jan 21, 2012
    I LOVED THIS GAME! The story, setting, environment, etc. are all amazing! I cannot stress how amazing I found the game. I loved it so much I recommended it and even bought it and sent it as a gift to some of my friends. They all said the same thing, that they loved it. I really wish that they had made it into more of a sandbox, but it's still awesome as it is. I also liked the realism and how they used military grade ammo as currency, so you had to choose between a gun with good ammo or to spend it on gear and have crappy ammo. I also loved how above ground that you had to wear a gas mask and had to use filters that slowly ran out, and that it's not like some games where your gear deteriorates, but instead when you get shot, it slowly cracks and your filters aren't as effective. The only thing I did not like about it was that when I was above ground, I was low on filters and my game auto-saved just a few seconds before I died, but eventually I got out of my problem by using a few tricks so I didn't have to go back like an hour or so to when my last save was. I also thought that it should have a multiplayer. But other than that, it was awesome! I even bought the books and preordered Last Light because it was amazing. So if you want a new and exciting experience, buy it! Expand
  32. May 17, 2013
    For the reason at the bottom of this review I'll go post this on the x360 page too.

Among the best atmosphere in a game so far, it's somehow linear but in way that makes you feel more free than how you actually are, in this game you actually cares about your weapons and stuff, you can feel every bullet you or your enemies fires, you have to fight against various kinds of threats,
    enemies, time and fears in an environment that really sucks you in, it's a mature and tense experience able to drag a bit of the scary kid out of everyone no matters age or experience, kids you are warned.
    Complaints about a narrow FOV are just nonsense from beginners, this game is supposed to give a good amount of claustrophobic feeling and is pretty damn good at it, complaints about weapons "feeling" lets clearly understand who played it with a controller and who didn't, usually mouse and keyboard doesn't have a rumble pack inside, actually a controller is the best way to play many games and many PC gamers have to realize that mouse and keyboard weren't planned to play games while a controller, yes. The sounds are creepy and relaxing at a right pace, the graphics looks really good but are heavy at higher settings on non high-spec or old machines, the AI is balanced and challenging, if you walk on glass or alarms, no wonder they will hear you and suspect something is going on, in a reality in which everything can kill you the fact they set up traps an get immediately alerted is quite reasonable, it's not about "you" but everyone and "everything" could be there.
    Many of the few complaints I've seen here among the negative reviews seems to come from beginners or people scared by this game that are actually searching for other reasons to mask their feelings and to "punish" the game...childish, there are people simply giving a 0 to this game due to the fact they haven't understood this game or they've thought it were something else, NO, it's not Call of Duty, it's a damn immersive experience and it NEEDS a more narrow field of view than other shooters for kids, it's an engaging, immersive and amusingly punitive hard-core experience for mature "minds" regardless of physical age.
    Few "here and there" and the fact that on PC it has heavily requirements to be pushed to the limit would require a little lowering of my rating that would approximate more a high 9 than a 10 but the fact that there are people giving out 0-4 not being able to roam the configuration menus or not reading all the hints the game gives out lead me to round this up to 10 just to balance this unfairness, a good game getting bad rating from bad players is something that drives me mad, when I realize that a game is not my kind and or I don't have enough skill to play it, simply I don't drop crap on it giving a bad rating and blaming as a fault of the game itself.

The short version is: I've played it on the 360 a first time and decided to replay it on PC to enjoy better graphics and sound lately while waiting for Last Light, by my point of view it's a masterpiece and never gets old, every serious gamer should not miss this experience.
  33. Feb 9, 2012
    I think this is one of the best story lines that I've ever played. At first the graphics seemed to be really rough on my video card. The game just doesn't run smooth on my video card on some cut scenes. However, i cannot take away the fact that the graphics are just astonishing. There is so much detail in every mission, not to mention the character detail is outstanding. Now it is time to explain the bad parts of the game. First of all, the AI is incredibly difficult on any difficulty higher than "normal". I played on "Ranger Easy" the first few chapters. I found it very dissapointing the AI could fire 3 rounds into my cover and once i killed them, they only had 1-5 bullets. I later switched to easy because of the difficulties of completing one of the missions and found the game to still be a bit challenging, but easy enough to entertain me. I did not like the fact that the AI on harder difficulties could fire "Through my cover". I also found it amusing that i could empty a mag point blank into a bot and them get right back up and hit me with a few bullets to end my mission. That problem could be changed by lowering the difficulty though. The one thing that made me really upset to see is the ending to such a great story line go up in flames. This had to have been the worst ending a game could have. I cannot ruin it for people without the game, but it is rather disappointing. I'll also add that the levels are completely linear. Now, this is not a big issue because the game still sucked you right in. I hardly even noticed. I wish they could have added many more rooms/lockers that you could check for collectibles and pick-ups for. This is me critiquing, so it is a rather harsh review. To sum this game up, it is one of the best games I've ever played. I got it for $4.99 on Steam Sale. It is $19.99 on Steam currently. I think it is definitely worth $19.99. If i might also add: To the people who gave it 1/10 for a rating, most of your explanations are utterly stupid and there should be no reason you are allowed to bring the score of this game down. I found the one that said "I paid $5 for this game and after 5 minutes i wanted my money back" very entertaining. Any gamer knows you cannot judge a game in the first 5 minutes, especially this one since it builds up rather slow. The one that mentioned that this game was obviously made for consoles and gave it one star. I agree, they did make it a console game, but they did a fantastic job turning it into a PC game. Expand
  34. Mar 19, 2012
    This is single player First Person Shooter game. It is set in a post apocalypse Russia. This is not a typical game for its genre, but is one who give some importance to realistic situations, like gas masks filters and low quality ammo. The game also focus in almost all its content on stealth gameplay when possible. You are fighting against some kind of demons or monsters, and you have to make your way from one point to another by the subterranean metro system of destroyed Russia. Aiming is a little bit difficult in this game, but it is compensated by the beautiful graphics it have. Artistically speaking, this is a dark game, you are constantly moving in the dark in the post apocalyptic bloody metro tunnels, which are full of surprises, creatures and supernatural mysteries. Even on easy this game can be difficult, and you will occasionally get mad by some glitches, like the inability to find filters for your gas mask. You will fight with assault rifles, shotguns and pistols and several original pressure pumped weapons. You have a flashlight.....wish you will have to manually charge their batteries at least once every few minutes, so try to keep it charge, you don't want to be in those tunnels with a discharge flashlight battery. Expand
  35. May 3, 2012
    Eines der Atmosphärischsten Spiele-Welten die selten zuvor mit so viel Liebe zum Detail eingefangen wurde ! Die Welt ziht einen Förmlich in die super erzählte Geschichte hinein, und man wird sehr stimmig bei der Sache gehalten . Man erlebt Artjom sehr hautnah und authentisch . Es macht einfach ''spaÃ
  36. Sep 18, 2013
    After 3 years of almost ignoring this game, Steam had a sale and got it. FLIPPING AMAZING.

Is easily the best FPS story shooter since Bishock 1 and is WAY better then Bio Infinite. (also better then its successor Last Light)
  37. Apr 17, 2013
    This is a fantastic game that requires stealth and knowing when to fire. I found that when I was running into trouble I was shooting when it was far better to hold my fire and conserve ammo. The story is VERY well written, the voice acting is remarkably good and the immersion is unprecedented. This is NOT an easy game even on normal. I can only imagine how rough it is using Ranger mode. I am very impressed and enjoyed it so much I pre-ordered Last Light which I NEVER do.

I am convinced that those who gave it negative reviews simply dislike that they had to THINK rather than just run and gun like COD, Battlefield and a whole host of other marginal FPS games.
  38. Mar 25, 2013
    This is a awesome game, and best of all, you can choice if the peoples will talk russia or english. And that makes it more realistic. It's a fun game, you never get bored of it. It's really well done. The weapons are little like in the Fallout games. If you buy it, you won't regret it. Game on and kill those radiation monsters.
  39. Apr 6, 2013
    This is one of the best game I have ever played. The last time I said this is when I finished Half-Life2, but even HL2 didn't manged to get a 10 out of me, in many respect, I believe Metro2033 even exceed HL2's accomplishments.

Metro has some of the best graphic engine I've seen in years, IMO even Cryengine couldn't compete with the 4A engine which Metro 2033 uses. The lighting and
    texture are extremely well done, volumtric lighting and fog effect are also very good, it makes the whole world looks extremely convincing. The sub-surface scattering effect on character's skin makes people looks much more believable, unlike in some other games people tend to looks like plastic dolls.

The story is also it's strong point, since it's adapted from a sci-fi novel, but it has a little twist of it's own while still retains the feel of the novel. I bought the novel after finishing the game, it' will definetly gives you a new perspective on the story.

Combat and AI seems a bit strange and unresponsive at first glance but after I know more about the game, I understand the clumsiness I feel during combat is also part of a story setting. You are not a superhero, you are a survivor in a post apocalyptic world, trying to fighting off monsters and fellow humans while carrying a sort of equipment and ammo, of course you don't move and shoot like a Call of Duty character.

In conclusion, all I can saying is Buy this game, play it, if you learn to appreciate it, this will be one of the most immersive gaming experience you will ever have.
  40. Oct 7, 2012
    Exelent !!! Ce jeu est tout simplement magnifique, l'histoire est tres bien agencée, le jeu est bon dans tout l'ensemble, ambiance effet de lumiere, creature, personnage, animation, doublage etc !
  41. Nov 27, 2012
    This game is a fantastic narrative fps. Is it perfect? No. But I rated it 10/10 because it does what games should do, provide an incredibly fun gaming experience that sucks you in and makes you lose track of time. Some reviewers (*cough* ign *cough*) cited the unforgiving stealth sections as a negative. I found this to be extremely fun and rewarding. Yes- one mistake and the guards are all alerted, there is no "Oh it must have been a rat/the wind/my imagination" system. Which I found great. It made everything much more tense. In short, if you don't have this game, pick it up. Expand
  42. Jan 14, 2013
    A true masterpiece, I have a powerful PC, running the game on high settings smoothly, It's beautiful, immerse, and most of all realistic. This game has the best stealth combat I've seen in a game since MGS, when sneaking around hostile humanoids, you're usually forced to avoid trip wires, traps, and noise making, the game always forces you to mind your surroundings. Anyone expecting a call of duty shooter will be disappointed, most guns are inaccurate, ammo is scarce, and you die very quickly. For those reasons you must try to avoid enemies, or sneak up on them and dispatch of them unaware. But the combat is never unfair, if you get gunned down by a pair of enemies, its your own fault.

The best part about the game is probably the constant spooky atmosphere. Just looking around several times I was wowed by how well the tunnel systems are lit and laid out. Encounters with ghosts were probably the best parts.
  43. May 18, 2013
    This is the Best FPS in the world, in story,protagonist,voice acting,music is fit for the game,atmosphere is unique.not like last light in my opinion that is a failure.
  44. May 23, 2013
    Metro 2033 is quite an interesting interpretation of the fantastic book. It certainly was a "pen test" and in the future will be much better. Former STALKER developers have pleased another good, quality, well thought-out game.
  45. Jul 26, 2013
    The first successful shooter, made in the former Soviet Union. The first thing to give is to first read the book. You will have no problem understanding the story, the universe, and many others.
    Game atmospheric, very interesting and linear (that's good).
    Developers from 4A Games convincingly proved their world-class professionalism.
    Please check and recharge the weapon go to the Circle line
  46. Sep 8, 2013
    The game in which the atmosphere is not lost until the ending, and there are not a lot of definitely 10/10 of course this unforgettable atmosphere and a desire to continue to play in this world a detailed science covers the bad voice acting, and the stone faces the only thing that spoils the feeling of this beautiful world!
  47. Dec 20, 2013
    There is something about this game, the setting, the story, the gameplay, it just really found a niche in me. I thoroughly enjoy being able to use a working stealth mechanic in a FPS when I decide to use it and not having it force me to take a certain route. There was not a single moment in the game where I wasn't enjoying it.
  48. Mar 2, 2014
    One of the best shooter games I have ever played. Although there are some frustrating sections(I play on Ranger difficulty), I can't stop myself from coming back to it again and again until I beat the game. I don't have a good graphics card so I have to run it on low settings but It still looks very impressive and often jaw dropping. Even with my settings I get fully immersed because of the superb audio throughout the game. The weapons, the gadgets, the gas mask, the monsters, everything about this game is believable because it has a base in reality. Overall the experience this game will give you is worth much more than even the price of the initial release. Expand
  49. Jan 27, 2014
    Well... I've just installed ( after waiting five hours !!! ) it on steam and only played like 10 minutes of it, and i Think its amazing so far. I mean damn.
  50. Apr 2, 2014
    Metro 2033 is still one of my favourite Games of all time! I really like the Story and all the Characters in the Game! The atmosphere is always excellent and scary! The story will take all over the Moscow Metro! The ending i pretty awesome and i fully recommend the Game!

10 out of 10!
  51. Sep 12, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't under stand why people say bad tings about this game Metro 2033 is he best game i have played in my life and i have been playing games sins i was 8. it have a great story and game play but the story cud had been longer thats why i give it 9 So if you like first person shooter and like some scary story metro 2033 is something for you!! Expand
  52. mpr
    Jun 2, 2011
    Astounding! The game is short and linear, but the immersion is incredible and it's totally addictive: after a few minutes I couldn't stop and just had to play the game till the end: 12 hours straight of pure awe and excitement.
  53. Jan 4, 2011
    I'm afraid that this is one of the many great games that just happen to be misunderstood. Be it due to the close-mindedness of the reviewers, of the public, it hurts this great game. Alas, all these "western" (I don't mean western as in wild west, but as in western hemisphere) shooters have given a lot of people a "template" of what a shooter should be, and they are disappointed when they see some game trying to break the various taboos. It surprises me that a brainless and common shooter that is Modern Warfare 2 could ever have a score close to Metro 2033, a unique and truly original game. What many people don't realise is that in these "eastern" shooters (STALKER and Metro 2033 being the most important representatives of this group), you are not a killing-machine, these games strive for realism. And realism means shooting a person wearing heavy armor with a shotgun having no effect ("real" shotguns are *very* weak against armor, let alone makeshift ones). Realism means that enemies don't just "forget" you're there if they don't find you in a certain period of time after they have seen you. In real life, if you screw up in stealth, there's no going back.

And all the original features this game adds to the world of mainstream gaming - the gas masks, the pneumatic weapons, the use of ammunition as a currency, a morality system based on pretty much all of your actions, all combined with a truly fantastic engine with graphics that impresses you even if you're unable to play on anything but "low". To do all this deserves praise.

Now, to address some of the negative critiques this game has been getting:

1. The only way to go about things is run'n'gun, and since that's very hard you'll die a lot - Completely and utterly false. This game is meant for a tactical approach, not running and gunning. 2. All the weapons are underpowered - Not true. These are makeshift weapons we're talking about, and even if you get a pre-apocalyptic weapon, the ammo you use is still makeshift (except if you go for military grade which is also used as currency). If you use an AK47 with military grade rounds, trust me, it won't be underpowered.

3. The levels are very linear - this one is partially correct. But for a story-based game, that's not a big issue. And not all the levels are linear, but you often won't have the will to go and risk getting killed for the sake of exploration. Why do so many people complain about linearity here, and nobody complains about it in games like Call of Duty.

Since I'm tired of writing, I'll just finish with this. Metro 2033 is a pioneer of a new sort of games, just like STALKER is. And while it will be somewhat underrated now, I believe that people will eventually realise it's true potential.
  54. Oct 16, 2011
    Understand that this game has flaws. Bad AI, outdated feeling controls, various glitches and bugs. They are flaws that only float on the surface of an amazing experience. The mission that the game developers set out the accomplish by creating their game is fully realized. The world is built with painstaking detail to environmental and what most call "atmosphere." What I mean about atmosphere is that when I played this game I felt immersed in the world and situations. Like in a book, in retrospect, I forget that I wasn't really there and the experience was being feed through a computer screen. Deep stuff, right? but really this game will mess with your head with its amazing immersion, awesome art style and graphical power and tense situations. You can really tell that the creators put a lot of love into their project. For instance, I was amazed when I beat the game that the credits were less than a minute long. These guys worked hard and it shows. Play it Expand
  55. Nov 28, 2010
    I think that metro 2033 is impressive game I have ever had from 2001-2010, has a amazing story, but unacceptable controls (for new comers). And horror feelings.....for the first time which was good. I think its a bit short, but for the maker.....long. the best thing was its fun to play, and its quite too easy by the way, the weapons are sooo cool. If there is an other DLC, I would totally buy it..... overall this game is quite amazing for me. The bad things that I have seen in this game is the Karma, I think most of the people will not understand whats going on for the shining if they are new to Metro 2033... and it too hard to know whats going on, for me, when I saw the first shining, I'm confusing rather i lost life or what. By the way.... there is no reasons for these karmas to bring you to the good ending. Its my feeling so don't complain.... Expand
  56. Nov 30, 2010
    Blown away, I had heard so many mixed things about this game from magazines and pod casts I was a little apprehensive about purchasing it, how ever. not only have I been pleasantly surprised by It has far surpassed my expectations.

The game looks incredible and the world feels claustrophobic and alive; yes it is mainly scripted actions but some of the set pieces are up there with HL2
    and COD:MW.

A must for anyone with a love of shooting out light bulbs too. not since the original splinter cell have i enjoyed creeping through the darkness so much. Everything I wanted Stalker to be and more.
  57. Jan 20, 2011
    I have to say the game is definitely astonishing because of its atmosphere, story and game play. I have finished the game on hardest difficulty and the game was challenging and fun. I am on my 2nd run on Ranger Hardcore and I think I will read the books! The only down point would be the stealth mechanism.

To be honest, I believe the game is underscored by the reviews. I think It deserves
    at least a 85. But I should say that my comment is based on recent play. Maybe there were a lot of fixes with the patches. Expand
  58. Nov 5, 2011
    A must buy!

Can't understand ppl who is not into this game, if they like RPG and singleplayer. It has a decent story line. It has AWESOME graphics, even with low settings. It has good alternative enemies, and weapons. Cant wait for LAst light to come out.
  59. Jan 20, 2011
    Metro 2033 is a linear, story-driven shooter that incorporates elements of survival and stealth. Ammunition and gas mask filters are in short supply which leads to a lot of tense moments as you struggle to complete a level having expended all supplies. Scavenging supplies from corpses and caches is essentially for survival. The gas mask is a bit of a gimmick but it does make for a sense of urgency in the above-ground levels as you struggle to find spare filters whilst choking and nearly blinded by your fogged-up mask. The "ranger" difficulty levels eliminate the HUD so that you have to stop and bring up your inventory screen to check how much ammunition and supplies you have left. This adds to the challenge and immersion.

The stealth-oriented levels see you infiltrate hostile bases alone. You can choose to avoid detection by taking out enemies with silent weapons and carefully turning off / shooting out every source of light and using night vision goggles to find your way around. You can also choose to mount a frontal assault but this technique often leads to failure as you are quickly swamped by waves of enemies. The stealthy weapons include throwing knives, silenced guns and hand-pumped pneumatic weapons.

There are just a few gripes I have with this game. Firstly, there are issues of weapon balancing. The availability of a silenced scoped assault rifle early in the game renders the other stealth weapons relatively useless. Also, there is a particularly powerful type of enemy in one of the later levels which barely flinches after twenty shotgun blasts at close range but will drop dead from a couple of arrows fired from one of the pneumatic weapons!

There are also issues of availability of supplies. Gas mask filters may only be purchased at the first marketplace one comes across in the game. One might reasonably expect that they can replenish their short supply of filters at any of the other markets throughout the game but this is not the case. Another odd thing I noticed is that it is possible to open a supply chest and pick up six magazines to yield only three rounds of ammo. Apparently those who made these stashes only remembered to load half of the magazines they left there - and those that they did remember to load only had a single round in them!

The lack of a multiplayer mode is a shame. The game would have benefited greatly from a co-op mode similar to Left 4 Dead. Hopefully this will be incorporated into the sequel.

It pushes the envelope as far as graphics are concerned but I have to say that reports of the game being highly demanding are greatly exaggerrated. By tinkering with the settings the game ought to be playable on any computer less than about three or four years old.

Overall, the game provides a very rewarding experience for any fan of linear shooters. It also provides many novel gameplay elements to maintain the interest of those who might otherwise be bored by such linearity. I have already put well over thirty hours into this game and I'm not tired of it yet. Given that the game has been on almost perpetual discount since release I'd say it provides excellent value for money compared to most titles out there.
  60. Feb 5, 2011
    I played this game with everything maxed out except anti-aliasing on a HD6970.. and wow... the graphics were breath-taking!!!! ... The storyline, voice acting and immersion were incredible... and at times I really felt like I was playing the character as intended.... some parts were scary... some parts would have me fight for my life, at times I felt remorse or fear for allies and enemies... and it really painted a realistic picture of a possible future....

In all that said there were also draw backs to the game as always...
    easy mode was actually quite hard... I wouldn't play it on anything higher unless you've gone through the game at least once... ammo could sometimes be hard to find.. and gassmasks running out of air was annoying... though besides the dlema it also added a more realistic feel to the game... it wasn't like a standard FPS where everything was laid out for you on a silver platter...... also I wouldnt even recommend playing this game on xbox or playstation......

My final thoughts... for $29.99 this game is worth every cent for an immersion and experience you will not forget easily... the biggest draw back to the game is that you really NEED a decent PC to run it in all it's glory.. and not alot of people can do that.. but if you can max it out your in for one hell of a ride!
  61. Feb 14, 2011
    When first starting Metro 2033 I was anticipating a dumbed down, crummy port from Xbox 360, to be honest I have never been a fan of console ports; It usually means the controls are useless for PC.
    However I have been pleasantly surprised by Metro the controls felt perfectly fine and even though I am not really an FPS player I was able to kill something quite easy.

My main reason for
    buying Metro 2033 however was the story and it's a good one. If we would ever look at a post apocalyptic Moscow it would look like this. The story however is a little too short but the many ways of playing certain levels still calls for a replay once or twice.

The weapons are responding exactly like you'd expect from a piece of crap constructed with materials lying around (bonus points for that). (un)fortunately the AI is so stupid that it's still quite easy to wipe a whole army of enemy soldiers with just your AK-47 type weapon.

Overall I'd say this game was worth my time and money for the great atmosphere it had and the great attention to detail both in the weapons and the usage of flashlights/night-vision.

Bad points were the AI and the short story, but if the developer learns from it's mistakes in this one, the next may be a brilliant game.
  62. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is absolutely stunning in almost anyway. The graphics are beautiful, the levels are intriguing and absorbing, the monsters look creepy and sound great, and the sound all around is just awesome. The only troubles I have found with this game is how long it takes to kill enemies and how annoying it is to find an adequate amount of munition. Doing my Normal difficulty setting play through it would take 10-20 rounds from on weapon to kill an enemy. Maybe I just suck but I think that's quite ridiculous when it's only on Normal and there's more than difficulty settings. Other than that, this is a solid 9/10 Expand
  63. Mar 8, 2011
    This is one of those games that you will either be blown away by all of the attention to detail and atmosphere, or hate because of some minor flaws and unforgiving game play. It's a fine example of a story based game done good. While the story moves you along a general direction, there's plenty of room for doing it your way with the weapon choices and tactics. The game requires an extreme efficiency with your items on the hardest difficulty which I love. The only cons I can think of are: it is quite a resource hog, and I had an issue with my filters disappearing if I would use the load from checkpoint option sometimes, that was frustrating. Overall I really enjoy the setting and game play for Metro 2033 I wish there were more creative and unique titles like this out there. Expand
  64. Sep 3, 2011
    I loved this game! Graphics are great, story is good. You are actually involved in the "cut scenes" which keeps you in the game mentally. My only 2 complaints are:

1. It's way TOO SHORT!!! I beat it in 18 hours. I only paid $5 bucks for it, so I can't complain, but had I paid full price I would be really upset it's such a short game. Of course, that was playing on Normal mode. 2. No
    multiplayer or replay value. I gave this game an 8 and knocked off 2 points for my complaints above. Graphics are AWESOME with Direct X 11 on my GTX560. Expand
  65. Jun 23, 2011
    One of the better games i've played. VERY innovative and different from any other FPS i have played. The graphics are intense, the story is immersive, the action is brutal. All in all a great game. This survival horror game stands alone on its own. I liked it so much I played in through 8 times and beat all difficulties and got almost all steam achievements. Sadly what lets this game down is the play time is fairly short which is disheartening and it lacks a Multiplayer. I would easily loved to see a Nazi vs Communist multiplayer. Also the human enemy AI is a bit unintelligent at easier difficulties. Metro 2033 definitely deserves and second look and once you play it, you will yearn for more. Expand
  66. Mar 20, 2012
    Blown. My. Mind!!

Dark Tone, a great story tighter than a chestnut corset, deep immersion, crushing loneliness - a beautiful story and campaign crafted wonderfully and excecuted expertly. Having said that, one must always control their **** shooting libido when you play such a good game. For instance if you intend to get this game for PC (which I whole-heartedly recommend): get a powerful
    PC - this game maxed out will eat your GPU for breakfast. I have a powerful gaming laptop built by the proud albeit sloppy hands of the caring folk of PCSpecialists, sporting a gtx580m and I've had to put on a significant over-clock to get this game to run properly. Also stealth is pretty buggy as well, along with a lot of elements in the game. But hey these are easy to overlook with an otherwise functional game which does such a great job of pulling you into its story and atmosphere. Congrats to you, 4A!! Expand
  67. Aug 11, 2011
    Pros: Nice Story, nice setting, beautiful environments, especially those underground with poisonous gas or something popping out and also the outsides, pretty good mutant enemies and human enemies, decent assortment of weapons and weapon mods .

Cons: Heavy on any System, Rats the size of a small car, flying rats the size of a small car. Buggy AI sometimes, lack of interaction with
    majority of NPCs Other Comments: this game is one of those games that does not require multiplayer to sell, in fact I think having multiplayer would ruin this franchise, would have wanted more places to explore. Expand
  68. Aug 22, 2011
    Excellent single player shooter. Mesmerizing graphics and story telling. Difficulty is pure exellence and there's a variety of options available. The only thing that keeps this game from a solid 10 is the fact that it's so linear. Buy this game, you won't regret it, the immersion is unbelievable!
  69. Jan 27, 2013
    If you are at all a fan of games like Half Life 2 or Bioshock, I need you to stop what you are doing, go to the nearest Wal-Mart, sift through the Bargain bin, and find this Dirt-Cheap.

You will not regret it.
  70. Sep 19, 2011
    Pure masterpiece. Once again Russian developers are showed their skills in creating games. I like story, I like graphics and most of it I like atmosphere of post-apocalyptic Russian metro. The only little bad thing is AI but it's not so terrible.
  71. Sep 17, 2011
    Really enjoyed this one. Got from Steam for $5. Well worth it. Would pay $30. Excellent graphics and great game-play made this short experience truly memorable. Its has a limited re-playability but that can be said for most FPS games. The attention to detail, the mood and overall atmosphere are top notch. Played straight through with not one single crash or noticeable bug (quite rare these days). In many ways it's more superior than the S.t.a.l.k.e.r series, due to its visuals and slightly varied game-play. A fun game! Expand
  72. Oct 15, 2011
    Great action game! There are few options to play some levels - "Rambo", stealth, hidden and mercy. Good rush I got on "expert". English voices are terrible indeed - so I assume the horror rank of game is pointed exactly to it.
  73. Nov 6, 2012
    For once a first-shooter game with challenges even on normal. and the Ranger Hardcore makes it almost realistic. Great game with beautiful graphic and a great story-line.

I want to read the book it's based on just from playing this game.
  74. Apr 2, 2012
    Great story, awesome atmosphere and good depth. A variety of weapons are offered as well as multiple endings to the game. The levels are linear (and so what?) and still fun to play. Just because a game has linear levels doesn't make it bad. I had a huge blast playing this game and becoming immersed in it. The stealth portions and sound were a little annoying and the framerate chugs at times but is still worth the pickup. Expand
  75. Mar 18, 2012
    A friend of mine told me to get this game when it was on sale for for 5 dollars. Looking back I would have paid 60 bucks for it. I've played through the game about 10 times now it's a great game to play it's fun and the story is good. the people that a complaining about normal obviously don't use there ammo or health cause I had easily had full health and tons of ammo by the end of the game. Even on ranger hard difficulty I found myself having more then enough ammo and health to get the job done. The story is not in your face and in doesn't force you through cut-scenes. However you still feel like your in "the story" and have a purpose. This is a great game I just hope the sequel is just a good. Expand
  76. Nov 29, 2011
    Yes, the game is pretty and extremely pretty at that. The game however wants the player to go and explore and find ammunition or weapons to help the player on their journey. Metro 2033's level design is opposite of open, its as linear as Call of Duty, making finding ammo and weapons as easy as following you're A.I. companion. The games atmosphere and story are very good, It's is very easy to get sucked in to the experience. Expand
  77. Apr 24, 2013
    Yes, game is linear. Yes, game does not offer characters to really have a relationship with. Yes, the main character (you) cannot talk during the game, only talks in cut scenes. Yes, the game has not weapon customization, but a few weapons to choose from. Althought above 'missing features' the game is: still very enjoying to play even if you know some enemies will pop-up after 3rd time play.
    still has a story that could depict the future earth if we are truly so stupid to think war solves problems.
    still.... only the small world that is heavily scripted, creates the immersion if I compare this with
    games like Skyrim, I rather have Metro 2033. The reason is simple: the action moments are very compact, good scriptted action after good scripted action. In skyrim, you have to wait and see what happens. Usually skyrim gives another boring fight. THAT's why so many people like me like Metro 2033.

I am not giving a 10 because it can still be improved.
  78. Dec 28, 2013
    My favorite FPS shooter right below BioShock. Metro is incredibly unique and has one of the most polished feels I've ever experienced. You know an FPS is good when you literally have enjoyment from just shooting the gun itself, even if it's not at a target. This game is just so interestingly fascinating and has it's own entire style. The game length is perfect as well, just the right time for the story it tells, which is very cool to follow as well. Has some great humor in some parts and a very fair learning curve. Great balancing as well, it really makes you feel like you're surviving off the bare minimum. Despite people's complaining about graphic issues, this game is almost flawless. I've come across a couple bugs, and as long as you have a good computer, you'll have no problem running this game, which is absolutely beautiful by the way! If you're sick of half-assed FPS's that just want money (CoD comes to mind), get this game, it will give you hope for the FPS genre yet. Expand
  79. Jan 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, let's start:

The good: amazing graphics, great atmosphere, great voice acting, great story, innovative gameplay
    The bad: ridiculously hard, stiff controls

Let me explain: the game have awesome graphics, it's very dark, indeed, but it's also very beautiful. What do I mean with "great atmosphere"? While playing, there was ocasions that I felt bad for the people on the metro, it's a game, but you can see that they suffered a lot, sometimes you see wounded people, blood on the walls, dead bodies, blood pools on the ground, anyway, sometimes you really feel that you are part of the story. And why "innovative gameplay"? Simple, your money on the game is your ammo, so, you can't shoot everything that moves, even with an AK-47, you have to aim a lot before you shoot, expecially when you have 20 bullets on the magazine and no bullets left to reload. Sometimes you find people that sell bullets, so you can exchange the ammo that you don't need to get more ammo for your favorite gun, and I think that this is great, each time you shoot, you loose money, so you must think before you act.

Now the bad:

The game is hard, like, REALLY hard, if you play on the Ranger difficulty, you die with 2 shots, it's hard to find ammo, and even harder to find Healthy Kits. Sometimes you go to the surface, and you need Filters, that is also hard to find, so, if you don't read about the game on the internet, you may find yourself trapped on the surface, with a gun without ammo, and 3 mins. to find the exit.
    The controls could be better, I don't know how to explain, but they are a little stiffy, you press a button and your character move suddenly, but after sometime playing you get used to it

The game have 2 different gameplay styles:
    - Sometimes you play inside the metro, so it's very dark, and other times you go to the surface, it's very bright, but you have to run because you die if you don't find new Filters for your Gas Mask.
    - Sometimes you face humans, and the gameplay is focused on stealth, hide on the shadow etc. And other times you face the mutants, and the gameplay focus on survival, you have to kill them before they catch you.

That's what I have to say about the game, even with the difficulty and the controls, the game is awesome. If you don't mind dying countless times, and running to find more air or bullets, you should try this game
  80. May 5, 2013
    This has to be one of the best games I've ever played! The atmosphere is the best I've ever seen in a game and the story is so...good. There are a few bugs here and there but it's nothing that will keep you from playing the game. The game is not very long but the first time you play it it will take 7- 10 hours would be my guess, but you could probably complete it in 5 hours in you rush like hell. If you haven't played Metro 2033 then go play it!!! Can't wait for Metro: last light!! Expand
  81. Oct 22, 2012
    this game WoW the graphics are outstanding, but who cares ( i do by the way ) anyway the game is difficult i barely beat it on normal ok it is hard the gameplay is good some times its weird ( kid level ) there are 2 endings the good and bad ending i think the bad one is also good but ok voice acting is triple A the main problem is the ai is dumb and the guns feel weird i would recommend this to anyone except the people who play cod for a living Expand
  82. Mar 9, 2012
    I played the game before reading the novel, found a lot of access, but does not affect the quality of the game, the scene of the game is very commendable, and a detailed picture of the lives of the people of metro
  83. Mar 29, 2012
    Metro 2033 is truly a masterpiece in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. They are so good that I dare to say those are almost an art form. Also, without spoiling anything I must say details in Metro 2033 are adorable. As soon as you start to play game you can feel Metro 2033 is from a different culture which I think we should consider ourselves lucky as gamers. We should do this cause Games like Metro 2033 give us a very good opportunity to experience creativity and uniqueness instead of stereotype games. Beside itty bitty gameplay difficulties, Metro 2033 is flawless. Like I said earlier I' haven't seen and enjoyed such atmosphere for a long time. Metro 2033 was huge relief for my hunger. Congrats to 4A Games. Expand
  84. Jul 17, 2012
    Super game. How did this go under my radar for so long. Have signed up to Metacritic just to write a review. I'm not normally a fan of linear games but Metro (two hours in) Is a beautiful and immersing game to the point that I already feel engrossed in Artyom's tale and the hopeless, brutal & merciless world of post apocalyptic Russia. I love Stalker and Fallout but this game, immersion and story telling wise, beats them hands down. I am already looking forward to the sequel and I've not yet even finished the game. If only it were an RPG and I could enjoy this for countless hours more... Expand
  85. Dec 19, 2012
    Game is wonderful, can get really scary at times, make you curse at the top of your lungs as well. Game can be quite a challenge at times, and has some brain teasers in it which is always good. Granted at times the game does have massive fps drops even on my fairly solid rig, but the game is still loads of fun. Best part of the game is that it makes you question your morality and question justification for prejudice. Solid game, 9/10. Go buy it on Steam, CAN'T WAIT FOR LAST LIGHT! Expand
  86. Jun 1, 2013
    WHY THE HELL DID I MISS THIS ON RELEASE!? What a totally awesome experience! Those guys at 4A did one hell of a job! Others have already said the good bits so my advice, if you love gripping and immersive horror shooters, GET THIS GAME NOW!
  87. Aug 26, 2012
    If I could choose an exact score for this game, it would be an 8.6, but hey I rounded up... I thought the game deserved it. :) I'm going to keep this short and to the point. Metro 2033 isn't quite like anything I've ever played, this game stands out on it's own, but for some reason it's hard to say exactly why. It does an great job at making you feel like part of this gritty underground in a world that's gone to hell and the settings you find yourself in are absolutely gorgeously detailed. The one thing everyone will agree on, Metro 2033 has very impressive graphics.

The pacing of this game is really well done and there are definitely some scary moments that sent shivers down my spine. Missions on the surface (above the metro stations) feel dangerous and have a sense of urgency, mainly because of your limited air supply.

The sneak element of this game is great as well; you can blow out candles and lamps, use silencers to take out enemies so you don't alert other nearby patrols, or go in guns blazing. The latter is probably a bad choice as the enemies can be difficult and well fortified. You have a device on your watch that will show you how well hidden you are, simple enough... but effective and fun for those that do like to sneak.

At the time of writing this, the game is on Steam for 20 bones. I can safely suggest this game to any FPS fan that loves a good post apocalyptic shooter with a survival horror element mixed in. It's done well, and I think this is a highly underrated PC game.

Some people may criticize this game as being too linear, but I'm okay with a game that pushes me along in one direction, as long as it does so with a little style and grace... and I feel Metro 2033 does just that.
  88. Dec 28, 2013
    An underrated gem if I've ever saw one.
    This game is dripping with atmosphere like an overweight bus driver drips with sweat in the middle of summer. It's pouring with it.
    Your journey through Metro tunnels and brief ventures across the surface are some of the tensest, most unnerving moments is gaming I've ever come across.
    Now, this is not a horror game but the atmosphere and amazing
    sound engineering will keep you sweating and on your toes. There are no "booga-booga!" moments but you'll holding your breath as a huge horde of mutants are chasing you down a tunnel while your flashlight battery is dying and your gas mask filter is running out. Metro 2033 is very good at toying with your 'fight-or-fly' response. In this game, you forget what you know about gaming and start relying on your instincts. Very immersive.

There are a few flaws with the game though. Weapons feel under-powered and lack of feedback on whether you actually hit your target takes the satisfaction of gunning down enemies. Stealth is plain broken. You'll have a heck of time trying to sneak around. The English voice acting is also bit weak, but really, play it with Russian voices and English subtitles. The Russian Voice acting is way, way better.

All this is forgiven when you see what the game does right, like pacing of the story (which is very good), the mechanics of your actual equipment like cranking a dynamo to keep your flashlight battery charged and the mysterious, hidden karma system.

This game is not for everyone. Some people will be confused by a game where Russians are shown as humans, with all their flaws and virtues, instead of mindless cannon fodder.
    Sure, it is no for everyone, but it's almost like a Tarkovsky film, dense and filled with obscure meaning, but once you open yourself to it, you will find a rich, unique experience which is seldom found in gaming.
  89. Dec 4, 2012
    I admire the gloomy atmosphere of the game. The world of the game combines the relationship with our world and something absolutely alien. It shows how our world could be look alien. The game is just beautiful and art work is great. My score is 9 because I received "PhysX error" at first start of the game, and I had to reinstall PhysX myself.
  90. Dec 6, 2012
    I'd actually give this game a 9.5. It has a few flaws that have been pointed out plenty... And despite said flaws its one of the most engrossing, immersive games I've ever played. On ranger mode, I feel as though I'm down in the Metro myself. The graphics are fairly decent as well and the story is an incredible journey even if the ending and overall goal are somewhat disapointing. Buy this game, its well worth the bargain deals you'll find it in and is much better than the vast majority of **** on the market now. Expand
  91. Jan 12, 2013
    Great game, cool graphics, great story since it is based on one of the best apocalyptic novels, great stealth mechanics. The only bad part is shooting people (Not monsters) feels like shooting a wall.
  92. Feb 7, 2013
    Fantastic post apocolyptic experiance with horror and stealth aspects plunging you deep into a underground world with homely warmth and a above ground world that hates you
  93. Mar 31, 2013
    I got this game for free from the THQ facebook page, so the logical reaction was "eh it might be good for a small bit of laughs" wow was I in for a surprise. The next 2 days were jam packed of this game, from my view point of a harder difficulty level (I played on the second hardest I believe) It was very challenging. I actually felt like it was a post apocalyptic world! Low ammunition, limited gas mask canisters, harder to find money. I actually found myself keeping ammo and trying to conserve it so I would be ready for whatever was around the next corner,I even jumped a good bunch of times from scary ass that was all over the place, if I had one tip to give to you, it would be to play this game with good quality headphones, the sounds were amazing, immersive and enjoyable. And then there's the story, oh man the story is amazing with multiple endings that even today's games don't have, I think it had 3 or 4 different endings depending on your play style and difficult moral decisions made in the heat of critical and pivotal points in the story.Overall an amazing game, I could run it on my laptop, it didn't cost me a dime, and it was an unparalleled experience in a game for me, the story stuck in my head for days after thinking about how people see things, and wondering what those other endings were. I HAD to play this game again too! Wait what? A free, single player game that has a ton of re playability?! Yes. You know what I'm done telling you why this game kicks so much ass, go get it! it's worth every cent, if any, and it offers so much. Top 10 material my friends. Expand
  94. Apr 17, 2013
    Absolutely marvelous. Only thing that could have been better, yet not enough to turn down, is the lack of melee. It's quite a challenge to dodge enemies while swapping weapons and when you're out of ammo and have a dinky knife to slash with. But that's it, manage over that and you'll really enjoy this game
  95. Apr 5, 2013
    I was on my guard before playing this... the developers were giving it free if you liked on facebook their page... I saw good reviews and decided to try it out even if resume shortly, was a free facebook game lol.

How good can be a game sold 50$ and now free for a short period of time...
    They say time are hard, many company close doors, which THQ, was part of.
    Don't fool yourself,
    this game may be 5$ on steam right now, but it worth the 60$ if you like this linear storywise kind of game. It brings you to another world, which is terribly horrible in this one...Having to live in sewers, never seen the sun, nor breath fresh air. Having to defend tunnels daily by some dark creatures. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting are such incredible, you'll live this game. Expand
  96. Apr 20, 2013
    Good: Atmosphere, Controls, Graphics, Story, Levels, Stealth and Action, Enemies, Disversified, Gunplay, Difficulties, Horror,...

Bad: Lack of an FOV option, but can be fixed through .cfg, face animations and people animations are poor, but they don´t interrupt or disturb the atmosphere in the game. A.I. sometimes. It´s linear.

This game is fantastic! It plays smooth, you have an
    incredible atmosphere and some really spooky horror scenarios. The story is well spoken and there´s an morality system where you can gather points for the alternate ending. Stealth is hard but works and action is very satisfying. The only problems this game has is the bad A.I. which behaves sometimes like it would have an wallhack. Also the movement and face animations of the NPC´s are bad. But that´s no problem at all. It doesn´t disturb you from anything, because you will like the characters and their stories. Stealth is working only with the Stealth suit you buy at the Communist Station before the frontline mission. There´s a Armored one too but with him you can´t sneak properly. The biggest problem is that it´s very linear. If you only like Open World games then you shouldnt buy this game, but if you have no problem with that, then buy the game now and Pre Order Metro Last Light too, because this game is a experience you shouldn´t miss! Expand
  97. Aug 7, 2013
    This is game fantastic if you enjoy fighting mutants from a post apocalyptic Russia where you are forced to live in underground metro stations. I enjoyed every single moment when playing through the game, although I found that pc port is pretty bad. I find myself constantly getting motion sickness playing at a fov of 45. Although you can alter this in the user.cfg file it does make the game unappealing to look at as you get massive amounts of fish eye. Expand
  98. May 4, 2013
    Great story, amazing atmosphere, characters range from "great" to "can I shoot him?", shootin' is ok, AI is mediocre, stealth can be pretty bad, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the maps that you could sneak through without killing anyone, graphics are ok (I don't really follow frame rates so if there is no discernible lag I am happy). Some levels and ideas are effin amazing and some are utter garbage... So, overall, the game is ok, but why do I score it as a 9? because I love post-apocalyptic stories and this was a great one! also 2.50 on steam sale!!! Expand
  99. Aug 20, 2013
    Metro 2033 has great graphics and detailed environments, the world is believable and maybe the best since Bioshock 1.
    The storyline is interesting and creates much atmosphere.
    The combat feels unique and includes aspects of survival horror.
    On higher difficulties (Ranger Mode) this game is the ultimate challenge for the player.
    Almost no other game I have played was such a great
    experience, but be warned Metro 2033 is not a game for everyone. If you have been playing Call of Duty all day, this will feel strange Expand

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
  3. Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.