8.6

1. BMF
    May 16, 2013
    This game is up there with Half Life 2, I don't really need to say more but I will. Metro Last Light is an extremely well realised world everything feels like a living breathing environment full of things to discover and people to meet. The graphics are top notch and killing both humans and creatures feels excellent and is very brutal. I recommend this game to anyone who fancies themselves gamers but even none gamers would be able to enjoy the great story and atmosphere. Expand
  2. May 28, 2013
    The game is incredible. I'm really not a huge fan of the FPS genre but this game makes me wonder why not. The story is amazing and complex, the graphics are detailed and flawless, and the atmosphere is simply unique. The only thing that is not extraordinary about the game is the game-play, which is good, but not sensational, like the other aspects of the game. I would give it a 9, because of the basic shooter game-play, however, I'll give it a 10 to balance it out a bit, for the people that gave it a 2 or 3 just to prove a point or something. Even if you don't like the game-play, you have to at least appreciate the story and/or graphics. Amazing. Expand
  3. May 19, 2013
    Please be advised--this game came to a near-shuddering halt from a frame rate perspective on my PC, which has been able to run any shooter to date without any problem. I've heard many other very tech-savvy reviewers comment on the "unforgiveable" specs this game requires for relatively dated graphics a dark corridor..??). I feel like this game is practically unplayable on any non-high end PC and my review reflects that fact. Expand
  4. May 24, 2013
    I haven't played such a good game in a LONG time.
    This is a kind of game that comes once in a couple of years, it's that good! I loved everything about it.
    Download newest patches to improve performance on PC.
  5. Dec 22, 2013
    Good game but all darkness and cinematics are boring.. lighter is useless.. darkness is too bad..i cannot find a way because of darkness..............
  6. Sep 26, 2013
    Just when the I thought the graphics of Metro: 2033 was insane; Metro: Last Light does one better. Don't be fooled by the people who complain they can't get 60+ FPS with max settings. The developers have really pushed the graphics to next generation and it shows. The AI is vastly improved (still room for improvement) and the compelling story of the game continues. This game is a must have.
  7. May 20, 2013
    The high user score average is a great tell tale sign that this is an awesome game. Loved it from start to finish. It's what gaming is all about aka immersion, action, emotion, fun, etc. I'm struggling to find a single thing I disliked about this game. It's one of those few that stand out amongst the rest. I wasn't a fan of Metro 2033 if I'm honest but A4 games upped the ante and produced a gaming legend. I read about the budget and the conditions the guys had to work in to make this game and that alone makes it a perfect 10. Kudos to A4. Expand
  8. Dec 8, 2013
    I was not sure how good Metro Last Light is gonna be but believe me I am not disappointed! This is great game, I would say class of Half Life but with better graphics. MLL is really dark and can be quite scary but not in that fake way like Dead Space series. This game will make you feel like being hunted enemies are strong, fast and love to jump on your back. If you are fan of post-apo and FPS games, this one is for you! Expand
  9. Jan 3, 2014
    Great atmosphere and awesome storyline. The shooting mechanics have improved greatly from 2033 although there are some parts where you'll find yourself completely out of ammo. You'll be forced to melee in stupid scenarios but that's the only issue I had with this game. Not worth removing a point because the overall game was outstanding.
  10. May 14, 2013
    As someone who played metro 2033, this game lives up to good expectations. The stealth system is definitely workable. As you sneak along you can unscrew light bulbs on the way. Makes for a fun, easier and very much playable game
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    This game is the greatest game I have played since Half Life 2. The story line really makes you feel for the main character, you'll find yourself sitting and listening to what people around you are saying, regardless if it's a cutscene or not. The cutscenes are all really informative and add to the story. Tons of depth, fantastic gameplay, and excellent combat. 10/10 and really wish I had bought this game sooner. To enhance the game's experience, play this at night and be sure to turn the brightness down in the game. Play the game on the hardest mode possible, even on regular difficulty the ammo is too abundant and you could easily play through the entire game guns blazing. Expand
  12. May 16, 2013
    The game has a good atmosphere, story, and setting, but I'm afraid the gameplay is pretty dull. The game is very linear, and combat is boring. You are told exactly what to do, and there are few things to be figured out by your own or discovered. Fighting humans requires some stealth, but fighting mutants is just spray and pray. However, even while fighting humans, the AI extremely stupid; they can't see you even if you are right in front of them, they don't know how to flank you in combat (in fact they barely even move at all in combat, once they spot you they more or less just keep firing until either one of you die). The game is pretty short and easy for a game that doesn't have the multiplayer and relies on its single player. I finished the game in around 7 hours, which is around the same amount of time as it takes to finish Call of Duty's single player. On normal difficulty you can run past most enemies, mutants and humans alike, and there is only the occasional boss you must fight (such as the mutant in the catacombs or the one in the swamp, both of which, by the way, are extremely boring to fight and basically bullet sponges). The morality system is also extremely flawed just like in the first game; there is no way to save your game so if by the middle of the game you realize you are not getting enough morality points you are going to have to restart the whole game just to get the good ending. It is also based too much on decisions you make during combat; for example, one of the biggest parts to getting the good ending is not killing anyone on several of the missions. Even if you spare some of the enemies, you will not get any morality bonus. Also, I see no reason why they would let you have the choice of knocking out enemies or killing them with the knife, because they basically have the same effect. The enemies you "knock out" are not going to wake up after a certain period of time. You can even take their gas mask filters away and leave them to die from suffocation after knocking them out and it will still count as sparing them.

The game is also extremely poorly optimized; it lags a lot just like the first game. Bear in mind that BF3 runs smoothly on Ultra settings on my computer, yet Metro lags like hell even on Normal.

Overall, fun but extremely flawed and not something I would play a second time despite it being extremely short (around 7 hours) in length.
  13. May 16, 2013
    Metro: Last Light's take on a post apocalyptic world strips away a lot of the tongue-and-cheek (Fallout/Rage) and Saturday morning cartoon (Borderlands/Bulletstorm) and instead creates a bleak yet beautiful world that wouldn't be at all fun to live in. It's darker and grittier setting straddles the line between horror, science fiction, and mms and does so very well.
    The story, much
    like Metro 2033's, is a linear narrative driven one, which you once again take up the role of Artyom, a skilled ranger who is more often than not used as a pawn. This story begins after the events of Metro 2033 and ties into the choices made in that games conclusion. What really sells this story is the masterfully crafted world in which it takes place. It draws you in and makes the experience very immersive.
    Pros Graphic Fidelity. World Design. Animations. Story. Sound. Gameplay.
    Cons: Average English Voice Acting. Average A.I.
  14. Jul 22, 2013
    With the world created by the original author its hard to lose, add the sort of detail and quality of graphics this game has and you get truly immersive. The devs not making a game for children and including a healthy dose of adult oriented gaming really adds to the feeling and atmosphere in Metro.

Nice to have a game that isnt corny and juvenile. At times it is very very creepy and
    the atmosphere and intensity is maintained.

There were 2 things I didnt like at all about this game. This is an amazing world and a great environment. I want to see more of it and while the tunnels are a limiting factor the amount of real estate in the game is very small indeed. Free roam Metro for Metro 3 should be on the requirements list in the same way several other major titles are doing the same thing.

The most important requirement for me though is the field of view. OMG, I hate this low field of view games. Makes me feel very nauseous very quickly. However, despite this I really enjoyed the story if the FOV didnt detract from how good the actual game is quite a lot. Felt a lot like an endurance test concerning the FOV but the detail, characters and story somehow manage to carry it. Was worth buying.

Open world metro with the same depth, darkness, creepiness and willingness to make a game for adults? Now that I would pay a great deal to see.
  15. Jul 18, 2013
    Did you like Metro 2033? If so, then you're going to like Last Light. Great storytelling, great graphics, great gameplay, and solid voice acting, all wrapped up in the familiar Metro we are all used too. Like so many others have said, lock yourself away, turn out the lights, and immerse yourself in this fantastic atmospheric sequel. The game, like it's predecessor, is a pure joy to play. The real world can wait while you save the Metro once again. Expand
  16. May 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not a fan of writing long paragraph reviews so here goes my list. Also SPOILERS!
    Pros:
    - The gameplay has vastly improved. When I first played Metro 2033 the controls felt fine. But after playing Last Light I went back to 2033 and it felt clunky. In Last Light everything feels more fluid and natural.
    - The Dark One child is awesome! Now this is what Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite should have been like. Elizabeth was basically a walking ammo/health dispenser and she served no real purpose story wise. But the Dark One child was written into the game well. At one point in the game the child accompanies you, and while he jumps around he talks to you, explaining back story and creating a character for himself. You actually start to get attached to him and his cute human clothes. He does find useful items on occasion, but it doesn't feel like he's a dispenser.
    - The levels are better. Unlike in 2033, there are a lot more levels with human enemies. This isn't for everyone, but the stealth missions are always my favorite so this is a pro for me.

Cons:
    - Linear! You go from A to B in each level and there's only one way to get there. Sure there are some extra buildings or corridors to explore but they only lead to a dead end and some loot.
    - The companions are annoying (except for the Dark One child)! There's always an NPC to guide you and harass you with what to do. Hearing "Artyom, climb the ladder!" a dozen times gets tiring when I'm trying to explore the extra rooms.

It's not a perfect game, but it's definitely an improvement over 2033. All the negative reviews I read are too nit-picky. Being linear and having on and off voice acting does not make this game bad, and does not credit a 0 score.
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    I did not like this game. This is a perfect example of why graphics aren't everything. CONTROLS: Overall, the responsiveness of the controls was great. ENVIRONMENT: I like the concept of the post apocalypse world. If you like open worlds avoid this game. I for one don't really care too much about the world being open but this world was so closed in that I felt like I was on a conveyor belt. VOICE ACTING: Absolutely atrocious. The voice acting in this game is so bad it literally ruined any little bit that I actually liked the game. Terrible, terrible, terrible. GRAPHICS: Great. OVERALL: Been there, done that. This game is nothing new and in fact is does a much worse job than most in a crowded genre. Expand
  18. May 17, 2013
    This game did a great job keeping the atmosphere that the previous game created. The story is great with no annoying plot-holes, unless you didn't play the first game. The pacing of this game was smooth and enjoyable. I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs but there are many complaints about them. I did, however, seen some blacks holes and some animations needing fixing. The accents in the game aren't as heavy compared to the first one. This bothered me and broke some immersion. The control scheme was changed a lot to make it easier for game-pad use. This is a linear corridor shooter not a open world game. The AI are a little dumber so stealth isn't harder to use. The thing is, the AI are a little too dumb. You can be two feet in front of a enemy, if in the shadows, and you won't be seen. I've stealth killed a enemy npc from a top of a train who fell down in front of some more enemy npc's. Not a single one of them looked to the position he fell from. There's no traps, hanging cans, or glass on the ground that can be accidentally triggered to give your position away. This was overall still a very nice game to play and own. Expand
  19. Jul 23, 2013
    It's a good game, rather short unfortunately. Fans of the books will enjoy it. The only downside is the consolization which results in a very hand-holding experience. Though stealth lovers will enjoy trudging along knocking everyone out, people who want to go in guns blazing will do the same. Some people will hate the liner layout of the game as well. But if you can get the game for a good deal, say under $30 it's worth it.

Sadly there are a few technical issues, especially for nvidia users. The current WHQL drivers(320.49) cause hardlocks of the game requiring a reboot, otherwise you're left with a looping driver crash/restart problem.
  20. Oct 1, 2013
    Just as a preface, how you could possibly give this game a "0" or a "10" is beyond me: it has both very good points and some (mostly minor) detractions. Limited minds see in black and white, I suppose. It neither merirts a horrible or perfect rating, but in my opinion, it does FAR more things right than wrong. It is one of the better single player first-person shooter experience I've had in a long time.

The graphics on a high-end machine are superb. The best FPS I've ever seen, even besting Crysis 3. Gameplay is really a lot of fun. Only bad point is the story is extremely disjointed an really hokey in some points. I don't know if there was something lost in translation, but some of the dialogue is really corny, and full of non-sequetors. Some of the technology and plot devices are pretty unbelievable, but this is post-apocolyptic video game, so I'm not going to quibble.
  21. May 23, 2013
    Best game i have ever seen! Thanks Dmitry Gluhovsky and Andrey Prohorov and all developers 4A Games! YOU are the best. Waiting new game from you Good Luck!
  22. Mar 17, 2014
    Metro: Last Light is a satisfying first person shooter; yet it is way too much on rails to be a stellar game. It sort of reminds me of Bioshock Infinite; a great story, so-so game play, and the cutscenes takes over too much in order to progress the story. Still, there is something satisfying in enter a room in the cover of darkness and dispatching the enemy off one by one; a la Batman. However, that is in the underground where it is safe to breath. The missions above ground forces you to scrounge for extra filters for your gas masks (or you'll die very quickly), and fending off several versions of mutated beasties that come at you continuously. This gameplay is more stressing than fun. Further, the amount of creatures that you deal with can be overwhelming. At one point, while waiting for a ferry, I set the difficulty level to easy because the horde of creatures coming at me had me dying about six times before I said enough was enough. A better menu system in switching your bombs and claymores would have been appreciated. The encounters with these creatures are less than satisfying than compared to the human enemies. Still, Metro gives a better number of different enemies to fight than Bioshock Infinite. Again, a good game that satisfy the shooter urge. Just expect a storyline on rails that takes over a bit too much. Expand
  23. May 17, 2013
    HL2 Potential Ego Shooter with incredible good Graphics and very deeb Atmosphere. Its linear most times, here and there a little extra to explore. The Locations are all very detailed and you can see and hear the love the Dev´s put into it. The Game is very polished, I didnt encounter any bugs or crashes.
    4A Games showed impressive how awesome a Shooter can be.
  24. Feb 21, 2014
    Beautiful, interesting game. If you`re wondering if the DLCs are worth of buying - just skip them. GRAPHICS This game has its moments, some even make you believe you`re watching the real thing. The best effects are smoke and lights, the actual textures aren`t that good, It might be the prettiest game I ever played I think. MUSIC and STORY Where Metro : Last Light shines is the story. The player comes close to his protagonist and stays with his adventures. It`s not the best there is, there are some copy and paste moments but that didn`t dissatisfy me. It`s very creepy underground aswell as in the city blocks. The monsters look great and give you goosebumps. All of it creates this dense atmosphere if danger and death everywhere. You are just a human crawling through tunnels, running from monsters, trying to survive. All of the maps are good and some of them, especially on the outside make up for some very powerful moments.
    Unfortunately the ending of the story is very weak and unsatisfying but I could live with relatively bad 30 minutes of what otherwise was a great believable world and story. I never was bored for a moment.

GAMEPLAY
    It has some rough edges here and there. I beat the game in the Ranger Mode, so I didn`t know how much ammo I had, the interface was just too coarse. Other times I died not because of lack of skill or concentration but because I was meant to. There are some moments for example where you have to lookout or you fall in the green water - it was really iritating. There are some scripts that I don`t like but nothing that would kill the gameplay. Overall it is nice, much better than in Metro 2033 but sometimes I felt that the game was too rough on me. Nonetheless the savegame checkpoints are well positioned so the troublesome moments went away fast so I could enjoy the story.
    I have to say that the stealth gameplay is too fantastic - the AI is just too stupid for that. You stand in a shadow and AI acts like nothing ever happened. Other times in shootouts it just stands or crouches in one spot and waits until you kill it. Not too bad but not great either.
    Because of the gameplay I couldn`t give the game anything more than 8/10.

It has to be said that my singleplayer campaign I went through in nearly 11 hours which is above average nowadays.

The DLCs are uninteresting and make no good additions to the core game which however is very good on its own.

So to sum it all up, I think it is a great game that falls short in some areas so it`s not a GOTY material. Maybe next Metro.
  25. May 15, 2013
    never beat 2033. while better, not needed to understand last light. i hate fps, and all i have to say about this game, is worthy of the score i am giving it. A complete blast, intense. there are no shallow moments, it has better stealth than spilnter cell ffs.

inceridble atmosphere, gunplay, difficulty, all well paced and very well acted. Optimization is not the best, but if you
    can run it, you are going to absolutely love it, guaranteed. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    Spectacular sequel to one of the best games I played in a while.
    Compelling story, amazing visuals never seen before, excellent soundtrack and gameplay
    If there is something I liked about Metro 2033, was the incredible atmosphere achieved. In this new release they have once again achieved and reached a new level of epicness that will make your jaw drop.
    Hopefully maybe have another
    sequel or a prequel.

Definitely another great candidate for GOTY 2013. The amount of love and dedication that the developers put in this game it's admirable.
    A god tier game right here
  27. May 21, 2013
    The option to have two endings was a bad idea it made both endings feel watered down and rushed. The final engagement was a bit boring, and the love interest felt a little shoehorned in. Some animations are stiff and jerky, and voice acting was very dodgy. It froze my computer three times.
    Apart from that, however, the game sucked me in like a black hole and I loved every last minute of
    it. A word of advice, however, if you want a good ending, do not kill any humans you don't have to, anywhere. Expand
  28. Oct 28, 2013
    Pretty sure the positive reviews are fakes. Or else I'm completely lost. Just ignore the +s review. Story is terrible. Characters are terrible. Gameplay is terrible. Environment atmosphere is decent.

Game-play shooting at blob-things until they fall over. Unbelievably bad boss fights. Unbelievably bad last fight. Best part about this game is the cover art.
  29. May 24, 2013
    This game is soooooo friggin' amazing. Great difficulty, I died 4 times while playing on easy! The atmosphere is the best atmosphere in any game to date. Your skin will crawl and the dread that will consume you is palpable. Great controls, graphics, but the sound is iffy in regards to one thing, the melee when stabbing something sounds like something you would hear from playstation 1. Besides that, I can not conjure up a lower score than 10. Metro: Last Light is (hold your breath for this) better than the amazing Bioshock Infinite. I didn't think it was possible, but Last Light's pacing and atmosphere is the best I've seen in any survival horror game. Expand
  30. May 23, 2013
    Game is awesome. I am nearly towards the end and have found it to be substantially better than the first game. Fight mechanics and game-play have been greatly improved. This is one of the most immersive games I've played since....well, since Metro 2033.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Metro Last Light improves on several of the originals shortcomings but also has a few of its own. Mainly the artificial intelligence needs lots of work otherwise Metro Last Light with its hybrid of quality action and engaging storytelling would maybe have been one of the best games of the year.
    I do not recommend this to arachnophobiacs and story-lovers. Nonetheless, the game's atmosphere is so thick you are going to be just blown away. Furthermore, the game has outstanding battles. [Issue#231]
  3. Jun 23, 2013