8.6

1. May 15, 2013
    Talk about hand holding.... Artyom, pull the lever, Artyom shine your flash light, Artyom climb up the ladder, Arytom follow me. The game so "railroad track linear" anyway, you couldn't go anywhere else if you wanted to. Take notice of all the high user reviews. 90% of them have no review history. They just popped on the grid like Metro was the first game they ever played. Can someone say "suspicious"? The graphics feel like the first Metro. They were cool then, but when you take a close look at the detail, it's so dated. The hallways have that computer precision geometry. The sound needs so much work.
    The atmospheric plays in the background, but the rusty elevator I'm riding is completely silent. Details details. Is it a game changer? Maybe maybe not, but as the little things start to accumulate, you realize how much you appreciate a game that has polish. Like the voice acting. It is bad bad. It sounds like the actors are reading directly from the script into the microphone. It's almost painful to listen to. Like when the lower ranking officer gets his dialog cut off by the higher ranking officer. You know, like when you're cut off mid-sentence? Except the low ranking guy just reads his script to the cut off point and there's a pause BEFORE he get's cut off? Little things. I like an immersive experience and what caught my eye about this game was all the reviews that say what a great feel this game has. It might, but the devil is in the details, and this game misses in some very pronounced ways. At least do yourself the smallest favor. Don't spend that fifty bucks because you may feel like I do. Paying top dollar is for games that live up to the score, and the scores on this game have been dubiously amped. It's not quite a money grab, but it sure leans that way.
  2. May 19, 2013
    I'm not sure what I hated worse, the game or the phony positive reviews! Honestly, if you read the reviews that are poor, they say the same thing. Rail-shooter, bad acting, bad story. Like there's always another actor with you all the time talking and telling you what to do incessantly... And there's 29 of 30 people who disagree? You feel like Deep Silver hired a bunch of guys to skew the scores. Dirty business. Watch out on this one. If you still want to see for yourself, wait for the $20 sale. (It won't be long.) Expand
  3. May 15, 2013
    This is barely a game, more than anything it is an interactive movie and I feel sorry for anyone the pre-ordered it. On top of that your hand is held throughout most of the game and whatever npc that is guiding you around won't shut up. No open world elements so go into this knowing that it is a 100% linear shooter, you have one path to go down and that is it. Very disappointing
  4. Jun 6, 2013
    I find this game really linear, repetitive and borring. Story and climate its not enough to make it good and enjoyable experience. Its more like controlable movie with crap fighting interludes, than real fps game.
    STALKER series and Fallout series are far better than this.
  5. May 20, 2013
    Bugs bugs bugs. And I'm not talking spiders. I'm in the middle of the game and suddenly the enemy soldiers stop moving. I walk up, they say, "must have heard something," but they don't move. You can't kill them, they're just statues. I try to restart the from the last checkpoint. Nothing. Reload the game, no change.

So I start the whole game over. I'm in the middle of the game AGAIN and
    I can no longer change my gas mask filter. Another completely different and crippling defect. My guy puts his arms down and just chokes to death. I get soldiers half in the walls. And the problems aren't ones you can ignore. These things have to function. And these kind of defects obviously can't be blamed on the graphics card or my system. It's apparent the game is broken.

Not that I care. The game sucks anyway. The AI is so incredibly bad. The acting is literally amateur quality. The story? Not in the least bit interesting. Even if the game worked, it's more like a movie than a game. And just a rehashed makeover of Metro 2033 at that. It's as though the designers didn't make a single improvement from the first game. There's no exploration at all. You have the main course and at most a room off to the side. There's no depth. And it's thq quicksilver's second try! Why do they keep trying to sell the same failed formula?

What a bummer this game is.
  6. May 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So I just finished Metro: Last Light and I must say any game that ends with "And that is how your father saved the metro" needs some work. Was it a bad game? No. But it definitely wasn't the best sequel to the highly underrated and unknown Metro 2033. The writing was atrocious, a significant change from the original which had some very beautiful writing and story telling abilities. Yes Metro 2033 was lacking in some fields (graphics mostly) but it rose above that proving once again you don't need great graphics to make an immersive game. Metro: Last Light fails to do that, and it truly is the writing and voice acting that makes the game seem half hearted. Hardly do you feel you are part of the world and at some moments it is laughable how poor the dialect is between two NPC's especially when one of the voice actors can neither pull off a Russian accent nor does it seem like he wants too. And all of that plus the execrable writing makes for a experience you wish you didn't spend 50 dollars on. The story can be corny and not in the good way, and at some points confusing, infuriating and down right boring. Sure they upgraded the game play and graphics (not by much) but it didn't make up for the other problems it carried along with it. All together I would say Metro: Last Light is worth no more than $20. Writing 13/100, Story: 14/100, Game play: 60/100, Graphics: 53/100, Score (Music): 79/100. Seriously, $20 at the most, don't waste your time. Expand
  7. May 22, 2013
    14 lousy hours and virtually no replayability. I'm not sure if I played a game or watched a movie. It's like a Disneyland funpark ride where you sit in the car and watch the scenery go by. Which pretty much all this game has to offer. Scenery. There are just to many places where you're not even sure if you're involved.

I read this game was challenging. Not. I started on easy
    thinking I'd better get a feel for this thing, but before long I was wondering if I could even die. You can, but even when I switched to hardcore, I was wondering if anything got switched at all. My ammo supplies were nearly always maxed out, the traders carried nothing you couldn't pick up any and everywhere.

I couldn't even figure out what the metro encampment towns were even there for. They served no gameplay function at all. You walk through on virtually a single path and interact with things like a pop-out book, but for nothing.
  8. Jun 2, 2013
    I had such high hopes for this game. I had read so many stories about its development process... about how they had listened to the people who played the first Metro and fixed all the bad things. It was all a lie. This game is only different from the original in that they took all the bad things and made them worse. They build this beautiful world and then punish you for wanting to explore it. If you thought the first was strait-jacket linear, this one is murder. So many interesting places you simply can't go. So much wasted potential. This game is really small once you figure that out. it looks a lot bigger than it is. It is a rip-off. Expand
  9. May 19, 2013
    Please be advised--this game came to a near-shuddering halt from a frame rate perspective on my PC, which has been able to run any shooter to date without any problem. I've heard many other very tech-savvy reviewers comment on the "unforgiveable" specs this game requires for relatively dated graphics a dark corridor..??). I feel like this game is practically unplayable on any non-high end PC and my review reflects that fact. Expand
  10. May 22, 2013
    I was hoping this game would eventually get away from the linear feel, and that the hand holding was just part of the beginning of the game. Eventually you would be cut loose into a huge apocalyptic world that you could explore on your own. Level after level that sadly never happened. If you like to read your video games. If you love watching long cut scenes with bad acting. If your favorite amusement park ride is Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland.

If in real life, your definition of ‘adventure’, is following an M&M trail for hours, only to find out it leads nowhere.

Then this game is for you!
  11. May 19, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, this game is very fun when you can play it. Much more smooth than 2033, but that's exactly it. When you can play it. This game either crashes, the AI's go haywire (Follow-escorts stop moving) OR you get stuck in one spot and have to go back to a checkpoint to finish the chapter. This game is so buggy it's ridiculous. You get 4/10 by me until you can fix this.
  12. Jun 1, 2013
    I was trying to be generous going through this game and giving it the benefit of the doubt when things were not as smooth as I would have liked. The fact is: This game is garbage! There are no directional indicators for anything and no way of fighting off most of the creatures in the game. The controls are ok but movement is stiff and slow. The npc's are essentially worthless and the story is weak at best (did not read the book). The objectives seem pointless because you never seem to get anywhere and when you do it's another betrayal. You never seem to figure out who or what to kill, not to mention that there is no indication on what weapons are the best to kill what enemies/ damage ratios. I'm completely lost with no hope of redemption on this one. The graphics aren't bad but the dialogue is remedial and abstract, not put together well. I'm not sure why someone bothered to make this game except that someone wrote a book and a lot of people purchased it. Kind of like Harry Potter goes to bombed out Moscow; the only thing is there is no dark wizard and no real story here. Another "Apocolyptic Genecidal FPS" with no real point to make.
    If you like running around a wasteland with giant bugs and radioactive "werewolves" shooting everything in sight then you will probably like this game, for me I prefer a little bit of "mindfulness" to a game. Substance is more of what I crave than just blasting away at everything I see. No points for making a point, but then there's no point in that, either. Seriously, people! Dishonored was better than this by far and that game was a smashing disappointment. Can't somebody make a game that is actually good anymore?
  13. May 22, 2013
    Nothing more than a console port and a bad one at that.

I can't say much more about the game since it's DNF, but from the opening cutscene it's obvious that the game is utterly full of itself what with the hackneyed post-apocalyptic plot written by master author bladi bla who wrote some other vanity press trash.
  14. May 16, 2013
    The storyline of the game is very very dull. It's like pushing the w key with a and d once in awhile. Pure linear game play with no open environment other than a random dead guy to loot once in a while a few feet to the side. You are hand-held through the entire game. Hard and ranger mode do not add anything exciting to it other than a simple gun, which is one of the worst.

The voice
    acting is HORRIBLE. There is no emotional development between the characters. Their personalities are shallow and could have had a lot more basis and dimension if more time was spent on them.

The only reason I even bothered to give this game a 3 is due to the graphics which are fair for modern games, not the best, but fair assuming you can even get it to run if you have an ATI video card.

I would not recommend for anyone to buy this game. Total game time is less than nine hours on a single run and you'll be left wishing you had ordered it on a steam sale. I regret pre-ordering it.
  15. Jun 14, 2013
    There is definitely foul play going on with all these 10s. This game has the ambition of a CoD campaign, minus the multiplayer and one-game-a-year deadline. The story is very sub-par, the environments are okay, the gameplay is mind-blowingly horrible. If the left mouse button on your mouse works, you can click your way to the ending. It is clunky and on rails the entire time. This game makes Tombraider's somewhat linear setting seem like an MMO. Expand
  16. Jun 25, 2013
    apparent complete regression compared to the Metro 2033. Simplified game has become uninteresting, more like the trendy western game. The graphics are not changed, the lighting from battlefield 3, the machine regina from rage, the gameplay from COD. Bad optimized for my radeon 7770.
  17. Jun 25, 2013
    Very bad game((. Graphics, animations, sounds, story just awful. It should costs 12 dollars max. It's so boring Ukrainian rubbish. 20 33 was much better than this
  18. Feb 15, 2014
    Where to start with this game... Graphics is really badly obtimized. AI is dumb as hell. User Interface is screwd up, what game forces you to pause the game to be able to throw a granade?? The stealth system is **** up, just stay in a shadow and no one can see you, even if you stand right in front of them. EVERYTHING is coded to happen, you can stealth around, and when you reach a point, everyone suddenly reacts to you...
    Exploration is useless, there are no exploration. Everything is on tracs from A to Z. What you find in the different rooms is.... wait for it... Nothing. Maybe a few bullets, but you dont need them. You get enough from people you kill.
    The acting is just subpar, but I will accept it. The story is Ok.
    The shooting is subpar, bad feedback and uninteresting.

Only buy this game on sale. And even then, only forr the interested.
  19. Jun 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The storyline of this game is quite interesting. Especially at the beginning of the game, when you are crawling through some tunnels, the skulls of dead people are laying around, creepy stuff brings excitement. The idea of upgrading weapons and skills is also quite good. The speed of the game is high, so when you are playing the main story, you shouldn't get bored. Expand
  20. Aug 11, 2013
    Don't play it. It's a waste of time. It's more like an emulator, sandbox, an interactive movie or something like that. But definitively it's not a good game. Despite of the good story of the first one, Metro Last Light just plain sucks.
  21. Jun 12, 2013
    Not a *terrible* game per se but no where near to being worth $50, and I mean, this thing plays like any other $20 game, maaaaaybe $30, but even that is a bit far to hell with what it took to produce this thing, the game play is nothing, and I mean *nothing* we haven't already seen before, time and time again. I read the critics' reviews, a few of the users' reviews, bought and d/l'd the game, then played it. I must say that while it isn't the worst game I've ever played, it also isn't anything *close* to being great either. I read reviews that used such over-the-top adjectives, like "Astonishing!". Man... it's not astonishing. It's no where in the same league with astonishing. Have you never played a video game before? Jesus Christ. This game is just another linear hack-n-slash (or shoot) with merely a different coat of paint for scenery and backstory. It's the same old sh1t. This has been going on for nearly 2 decades now. It's not worth 50 bucks it's worth 20. We have better technology now, why is everyone doing the same thing and calling it great? Oh, because if you can convince people of that, just long enough for them to click the "buy" button, then you get 50 bucks times how ever many people you duped.

You have no freedom in this game. You can't run off and explore anything. There are locked doors that pop up with icons, that are never meant to be opened (it's not possible to open them). Why did they do that? If I see a sky scraper in the background and I mouse over it, I don't get a non functional travel icon popping up do I??? No I don't.

The "stealth" system is just laughable. Youtube the game and watch some of the walk-thru's. Enemy look right at you, like less that 10 feet away from you, and just keep walking and talking, basically ignoring you. L-A-M-E!

The very little you can explore in the game, you are usually under duress and pressed for time, so you really can't look around or take time to think. Like make strategies on how to fight or wonder about, really, anything. You can't enjoy the little bit that is meant to be enjoyed, in other words. And by duress I mean, you are either actively being hunted or are engaged in combat, or you have a gas mask on with just a few minutes per filter. Wow.. the more I think of it, the lamer I think this game is.

Wait for it to go on sale. Wait until it costs 20 bucks. I have no idea why people are giving it 10's. That's insane. It isn't a horrible game but it is nothing even close to great. I'd rate it a 3 because it costs $50 and is the same cookie cutter recipe of every other game (plus the devs placed the story in tunnels so it's linearity wouldn't be so noticeable but it is very noticeable.) But since I happen to be a so-so fan of post apocalyptic story lines, and this one has a decent coat of paint on it, I give it a 4.)

I have been gaming for over 20 years. This is not worth the high reviews it has been given. It is soulless, restrictive on several levels, and just has that mass-produced feel too it. That blockbuster, appease the masses, generic recipe, let's make a lot of money off these folks feel. It's nothing special. I want to be able to do several special things for $50. If I'm a stealth type, i want to be able to stalk my prey and develop complex methods for the price of $50. Shanty towns and NPC's shouldn't be so lackluster. What a hassle to explore towns. Knock on doors in towns only to be told to go away, or "Dave's not here". Why can't I bust in the door or sneak through a window?

Sheesh, I've rambled enough.
  22. Jan 7, 2014
    Standards for game criticism are very very low. When I see that this game has an 80/100, I can't believe it. But then I realize that gamers generally have bad taste, which is why they are gamers in the first place. If you work at an IT job in Minnesota, eat Taco Bell and drink Mountain Dew every free hour you have instead of make a life for yourself, I can guess that your powers of analysis are pretty poor. So it makes sense that you people pretty much disregard the terrible voice acting, which made anyone passing by my computer laugh. You seem to think that this game was any sort of challenge; the AI both human and mutant were idiotic as well as lacking diversity. Lack of diversity usually makes things tedious, if you didn't notice. Was no one paying attention to the story? Easy, because there wasn't much to pay attention to, not to mention such a rushed, lackluster ending. A lot of the important details are revealed through journals and not in the main dialogue. Did I mention that the dialogue is spoken in the most stereotypical accents imaginable. It is so poorly developed, and essentially any big reveals, twists and developments are inconsequential. And to call this game original is to completely forget a game that was far superior, Fallout.

I simply don't get it. With a game so tedious, uninspired, and lazily written, how could anyone find this entertaining. I finished it out of sheer duty and because I paid for it. I sincerely wish that gamers take their games more seriously and demand more out of their favorite past time, because if they don't, they'll continue to be spoon fed crap like this. Now, I can go back to hibernating until Half-Life 3 comes out.
  23. Mar 3, 2014
    I am 5 hours into the game and I am playing a Stealth playthrough. There isn't much challenge at all. The AI doesn't seem to notice me if I am 2 feet away from them and they are staring at me, it's only if I turn on my lighter that they can see me. I shoot out the lights in a room behind 2 guards while they are patrolling and they don't take notice of the noise of the light bulbs breaking, when they turn around when patrolling back and the lights are shot out they don't take notice.

It is way too easy to get a stealth kill. You just wait until there is no light shining directly on you and that is it, just press V while directly behind the soldier. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter how close you are to the soldier; no light shining right on you, you've got yourself a kill. You could be in a big room with 12 soldiers in it, all armed to the teeth. You go to the fusebox, which is easily accessible and turn it off; now most of the lights are gone. Stealth kills galore. All enemies dead without firing off a shot, your knife does the job.

I have passed 4 such rooms, where there are 10+ enemies, but I didn't find a challenge; period. After clearing the first room I restarted the game and selected Normal-Hardcore difficulty (from Normal-Normal) because I wanted a challenge, but I don't find the game more challenging. The only challenging parts are when you are above ground and you have fight to fight some of the dark ones (and other enemies). But these moments are rare.

I give the game 3 points for it's atmosphere, graphics and a good story from what i've seen of it. But I don't feel like completing the game because I have found no difficulty so far. I know I can choose to play guns blazing and then the game could be difficult, but I prefer a Stealth playthrough. That is why I want out of the game and so this is how I am reviewing the game.
  24. Jul 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Such wasted potential.

This game could have been all the things they claim, yet fall so short. Atmospheric? Only if you like tunnel after tunnel, or grey buildings and incredibly linear paths. Immersive? Most of the characters there are just to fill space, the dialog is dull and repetitive. Exploration? Only if seeing the city outside your invisibly walled-off area counts as exploration.

The tired old standbys are still here.
    - Two weapon limit, regardless of size or type.
    - No inventory so you can't even trade the guns you find in for cash.
    - A storyline where you will lose all your gear several times, so don't invest in any upgrades.
    - Stealth mechanics that don't work like stealth should.
    - Guards who have either superhuman senses or Mr. Magoo's perceptive skills.
    - Cutscenes that assume you're a civilian with a glass chin and the reaction time of a sloth.
    - A quest system that can only handle one task at a time (which is fine, because the game is so linear
    you only have one task to accomplish at a time) and never tells you if you've progressed in the quest.
    - The 'boss battles' with vulnerable points and specific locational weapons to be used.
    - A morality system forced on you without making any choices for yourself aside from 'kill or spare the
    murderous traitor' scenes.
    - Thousands of stereotypical Nazis (the most generic 'bad guy' faction ever) in post-apocalyptic
    Moscow? Are there really subway tunnels that run all that distance from Germany?
    - The worst and most forced sex scene ever digitally rendered.
    - Inclusion of 'player saves the world' consequences because that never gets old.

It's just such a by-the-book, paint by numbers shooter that all the pretty renderings of demolished buildings and subway tunnels get boring quick. Most of the massively positive reviews are people who were either paid to make such comments under sock puppet accounts, or rabid fanboys. Anyone who actually played this game out would have a much, much lower rating for it.
  25. Feb 9, 2014
    Just my Opinion: Graphics 5 from 10 (first time see so bad optimisation, many games with MUCH better graph needs less resources and run smoothly) Game play 7 form 10 (nothing special) Atmosphere 6 from 10 (it's more poor try of Doom...) Story 7 from 10 (nothing special) And again too way EASY... I don't know how this takes 8+, it gives nothing new, nothing special, not optimised at all, glitched graphics, heavy on resources, too way easy, standard story, standard game play, standard atmosphere (more copied from DS and Doom) atc... Shortly nothing special. 5-6 from 10 maximum for this.
    Bad it's impossible to refund this... (if it's possible to call it game at all)
    Maybe someone will like it, but I can't recommend it.
  26. Sep 22, 2013
    I really appreciate its commitment to atmosphere, and it looks beautiful, but really its generic and predictable. Way too linear and it has this repetitive pattern of fight the reds, then fight the mutants. Also, the mutants are pretty dumb and uninspired. I like the attempt at plot but it also strikes me as pretty formulaic, man struggles to find a justification for survival. I was gonna give a 6 but I'm giving a three to counteract the fake reviews (Seriously, knock it off). Expand
  27. Dec 22, 2013
    Good game but all darkness and cinematics are boring.. lighter is useless.. darkness is too bad..i cannot find a way because of darkness..............
  28. Oct 28, 2013
    Pretty sure the positive reviews are fakes. Or else I'm completely lost. Just ignore the +s review. Story is terrible. Characters are terrible. Gameplay is terrible. Environment atmosphere is decent.

Game-play shooting at blob-things until they fall over. Unbelievably bad boss fights. Unbelievably bad last fight. Best part about this game is the cover art.
  29. Jul 16, 2013
    I must say, this game would have easily been one of my favorites if it wasn't for the framerate drop bug.
    I've got a great system (Bioshock on Ultra? No problemo!) and many of the levels are simply splendid in this game. The game-play was great to. What rubs me wrong is that I dropped $50 on a game that has a graphical glitch that many other people experienced with Radeon cards. Some
    levels are just simply un-playable 2 frames per second or so. If they patch this issue, I'll re-do my review. Until then, I want my money back. Expand
  30. Aug 26, 2013
    This game is so boring, no fun at all, from the fist 10 minutes until 1 hour in it, has so much hand holding, everything is so generic, its super generic, everything is predictable, bad story, upgrades are less fun then 2033 in this game you will always fund better upgraded weapon then the one you made, just hold your money for ammunition and filters and still in the end I had too much money, 50+ minutes of filters come on and this was on highers difficulty, bad bad bad Expand

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Metro Last Light improves on several of the originals shortcomings but also has a few of its own. Mainly the artificial intelligence needs lots of work otherwise Metro Last Light with its hybrid of quality action and engaging storytelling would maybe have been one of the best games of the year.
    I do not recommend this to arachnophobiacs and story-lovers. Nonetheless, the game's atmosphere is so thick you are going to be just blown away. Furthermore, the game has outstanding battles. [Issue#231]
  3. Jun 23, 2013