• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.8

1. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is pretty and mysterious, and I like that. But the recommended hardware on Steam needs to be reevaluated, my computer is a lot better than what they listed but I still got a kinda choppy fps. It's not a huge deal though. The main reason I give it a 7 is that the game is incredibly slow and easily becomes boring. Other than that, it's fun to look at and explore around the island.
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing,To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing, collect plants. As another person said, it IS literary a bush walking simulator. However it does have it's shining points. I applaud the graphics for two people and design. A lot of the scenery is beautiful and it does get you thinking about the islands previous inhabitants. If you do not mind the snail like pace progression and the repetitiveness of it and know that all you really do is just walk and walk and walk through an island, then you should pick it up. A major downfall is the price and the system requirements. Expand
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    I turned the graphics down and such, so that's all fine. But my only problem is that the camera is constantly slowly moving to the left. I don't know why it's doing that, and even if I unplug my mouse, it continues to move left.
  4. Gua
    Apr 6, 2014
    It's not perfect and pretty hardcore. But I love graphics in it. I love open world exploration and atmoshere in it. In Miasmata I really feel that I'm in woods. Probably someday I will finish it once more.
  5. Dec 1, 2012
    Let's see, where to start. Well, first off I have no idea why some people say this is a very good looking game. The textures are awful, below even todays poor standards. The animations in general are poorly done, less than some mods. Items appear from thin air a few meters in front of you, as do textures. The FOV seems really narrow, and is uncomfy to move around with.
    Now, I'm not one of
    Now, I'm not one of these people who thinks that graphics make a game, but I do think bad graphics can damage a game, especially when it seems to be something people are saying is one of the high points of your game.
    But, graphics aside, how does the game actually play. Well poorly I'm afraid to say. The concept is very good, similar to the old " Robinson's Requiem". It's like a survival exploration game, with your vulnerable character trapped on a deserted island, looking for a cure to his illness whilst being hunted by a large predator. That sounds excellent, but the execution is poor. Movement seems very clunky and unreal, I think in part to the Fov. Your character stumbles when climbing steep hills, balances on sudden hight changes and actually has momentum when he moves. This should be good, but it just feels so clunky, with you character shuffling along and makes going even short distances an annoying task. You have to find a cure for your illness by combing the island for plants, then research their properties and then using them to make cures and other such items. Again, this sounds good but it is poorly executed.You walk round, see a bright plant and try to get into the right position to "use" it, then you trek back to a research station, where it's just a case of clicking use another few times. What should be an excellent survival aspect ends up feeling like a boring fetch quest repeated ad nauseum.
    The sound is so generic I can't really be bothered to talk much about it. The only thing there is to say is that the music is mostly non existent, and you will grow tired of footsteps and heavy breathing very quickly.
    You may have noticed I've not named the character you play as, but that's not because he isn't named, it's that the story and setup is so bland I instantly forgot.. You are just a generic set of puppet arms wandering around a poorly textured island reading tutorials scientists left for you. I have no real feeling for anything either way. I don't feel a need to explore or discover anything about the island, I'm just sent off to get plants because I have the plague, apparently.

In the end, we have a game with a very interesting, if not original, concept for an adventure game, but it is so poorly done that I really can't recommend it to anyone. I wish i could say it will get better, but if this is a state they decide to release it in I don't think there is much hope for it in the future.

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.