Miasmata PC

• Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.7

1. Gua
    Apr 6, 2014
    It's not perfect and pretty hardcore. But I love graphics in it. I love open world exploration and atmoshere in it. In Miasmata I really feel that I'm in woods. Probably someday I will finish it once more.
  2. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is pretty and mysterious, and I like that. But the recommended hardware on Steam needs to be reevaluated, my computer is a lot better than what they listed but I still got a kinda choppy fps. It's not a huge deal though. The main reason I give it a 7 is that the game is incredibly slow and easily becomes boring. Other than that, it's fun to look at and explore around the island.
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    I turned the graphics down and such, so that's all fine. But my only problem is that the camera is constantly slowly moving to the left. I don't know why it's doing that, and even if I unplug my mouse, it continues to move left.
  4. Dec 10, 2012
    To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing,To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing, collect plants. As another person said, it IS literary a bush walking simulator. However it does have it's shining points. I applaud the graphics for two people and design. A lot of the scenery is beautiful and it does get you thinking about the islands previous inhabitants. If you do not mind the snail like pace progression and the repetitiveness of it and know that all you really do is just walk and walk and walk through an island, then you should pick it up. A major downfall is the price and the system requirements. Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    For a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants andFor a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants and grass almost everywhere for example, something that you almost never see in realistic amounts in games. The game play itself is the main feature of the game. Those that say it's a bush walking simulator are missing the entire point of the game. You play the role of a man called Richard, a scientist who was researching the cure for a plague. Richard catches said plague and comes to the game's island where a lot of researchers were working on curing it. He arrives to find the scientists missing or dead. And there's a lot of references to some creature stalking everyone. Your role in the game is to find the cure which involves exploring the island and gathering ingredients, all while evading the mysterious creature. Exploring the island by itself is a challenging hazard. With the way the mapping system works (which is easily my favorite part of the game) it's incredibly easy to get lost if you're not paying attention. In addition to that, in your weakened state it's easy to stumble and fall (which can result in you taking damage and sliding down hillsides) and you can't swim very far because you wear out quickly (which can be somewhat helped later on in the game). Then there's the creature. It has a random chance of appearing in most places plus there's certain times it's guaranteed to appear. You're too weak to harm it and it's faster than you. It has really well written intelligent AI that dynamically reacts to the player's actions (although there's an occasional bug where the creature can get stuck running around in circles although that's not too terribly common and is a bug the developers are addressing), trying to cut off escape. Evading and escaping it is somewhat challenging (very challenging until you learn how to deal with it) and extremely exciting.

Graphically, the real impressive parts are the lighting system (which is extremely impressive and realistic) which can stand on even footing with most professionally done development engines and the careful attention to details such as having grass and plants everywhere. For having only two people making the entire game, it's an incredible accomplishment. It's more impressive than many games developed by dozens of people.

The game isn't for everyone, just like as any other game. But for those who enjoy exploring beautiful landscapes, solving mysteries, and trying to survive a challenge, this game is one of the best you'll find. Even with the occasional bug and performance issue.

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.