• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.9

1. Nov 29, 2012
    I am enjoying it so far. The game is very attractive with the one exception of the water pouring out of glass. Full mobility across the environment. I was very interested by the prospect of an exploration game and I was not let down. The environment is interesting and well varied. It is also quite big, I haven't managed to make it all the way around the island yet.
  2. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredibly good survival game. Beautiful scenery but enough action (or worry) to keep you on your feet. Have played for multiple hours.

My only real disappointment was there there presently is no hunger factor, however this is something the designers are apparently working on.
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is very different then other games I have played. Normally I stay away from indie games due to the poor quality of most. Miasmata was a game that I bought because of Steam Greenlight. I was not disappointed. The game looks very good for being an indie game (puts some AAA titles to shame). The game-play is very interesting. The world is open and fun to explore. As light487 said,This game is very different then other games I have played. Normally I stay away from indie games due to the poor quality of most. Miasmata was a game that I bought because of Steam Greenlight. I was not disappointed. The game looks very good for being an indie game (puts some AAA titles to shame). The game-play is very interesting. The world is open and fun to explore. As light487 said, it is a bit low on the frame per second area, but I was able to fix this by lowering a few things, and many of the issues will be fixed via a patch most likely. I recommend this game to anyone looking for something different. PROS: Good graphics, large open-world, interesting map system. CONS: Some Frame per second issues, but those can be fixed if you lower a few settings (Sky quality and water)

OVERALL: For 15 dollars, this is a great game that shows a lot of promise. To anyone thinking of buying the game, just do it. You won't be disappointed. I know I was not! 9/10!
  4. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wanderingThis game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wandering around, lost in the woods with nothing but a map and a compass. The player character has a real weight to him that's hard to describe, but it makes you really feel like you're controlling a human body, and that creates a lot of immersion. For instance, your character has momentum, and if you get going too fast down a steep hill you'll tumble and possibly injure yourself. You have to approach your exploring in a realistic manner. It makes you think things like, "if I climb to the top of that hill, how am I going to get down safely". Another thing I love is the mapping system. Simply put, it's brilliant, and I can't believe nobody's tried it before. Here's how it works--you get a map and a compass and then use cartography to triangulate your position and reveal where you are on the map. Once you've done that you can put other landmarks you see on your map which will help you navigate. It's incredibly easy to get lost in the dense forests and the only way to reorient yourself is to look at landmarks and your map. What's great about this is that when you actually manage to map your way to a far off objective you really feel like you accomplished something. When you finally see that campsite you've been searching the last half-hour for it's a great moment.

There's also a great research aspect where by collecting plants and researching them you can create medicines and tonics. This ties into the main goal of the game which is to find a cure for the plague the player has, but you can also make other things, like a potion that will allow you to constantly see where you are on the map. The only way to find the recipes for these is through experimentation. This gives the research that you're doing to find the cure an added bit of fun.

I don't want to say too much, but there's a tantalizing plot that you slowly piece together through journals and other things that makes you start to realize things aren't exactly the way they seemed at first. I have yet to finish the game, but I have a have a hunch the ending is going to be very interesting. That's all I can say except that from what I've seen so far I'm very excited to find out how this all shakes out.

This is one the most unique titles I've seen in years. It reminds me of the old days when fresh ideas weren't such a rare commodity in the gaming world like they are today. It's probably not for everyone, but that's good. If you watch some let's plays on youtube you'll know whether or not this is your type of game. For me, it's a real gem, and if it looks interesting to you in the slightest bit, I implore you to give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  5. Dec 6, 2012
    The more I play this game, the more I want to play. If you enjoy exploring wilderness (in real life) then Miasmata will definitely pique your interest - it is literally a bush walking simulator (with a few surprises). The developers are still working on ironing out a few issues (such as FOV) but I believe Miasmata will define a new genre in gaming. It's all about atmosphere. It willThe more I play this game, the more I want to play. If you enjoy exploring wilderness (in real life) then Miasmata will definitely pique your interest - it is literally a bush walking simulator (with a few surprises). The developers are still working on ironing out a few issues (such as FOV) but I believe Miasmata will define a new genre in gaming. It's all about atmosphere. It will not appeal to everyone - if you need constant action, then you will probably not enjoy this game. I want to give it a 10, but taking 1 off as it still needs some polish. Expand
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    Miasmata is an original, hardcore, and ambitious adventure game. It's island environment is bursting with realism and atmosphere, although I've had a couple performance hiccups on my 570. The chunk I've played has me wondering who the island's previous inhabitants are and what they were doing, not to mention why there is a creature lurking around every corner. The cartography system isMiasmata is an original, hardcore, and ambitious adventure game. It's island environment is bursting with realism and atmosphere, although I've had a couple performance hiccups on my 570. The chunk I've played has me wondering who the island's previous inhabitants are and what they were doing, not to mention why there is a creature lurking around every corner. The cartography system is ingenious, and has me going insane (in a positive way) when I'm lost. Exploration can be your best friend or worst enemy. Expand
  7. Dec 1, 2012
    I have played this game for 6 hours. It's very unusual game. I was very surprised that after playing the first 10 minutes in the game, I found myself totally lost deep in the forest at night, and have to start new game. (And I'm hardcore gamer)
    The game-play is pretty simple, and doesn't include lot's of possibilities but never the less, the game is interesting to play. I liked atmosphere of the game: weather changes, sounds of terrain under you feet, day / night cycle, how you character slice from slopes - all this helps you immerse into game world.
  8. Dec 2, 2012
    Graphics:
    To start with, you should always keep in mind, that miasmata is an indie game, which was developed by only two (!) guys. And for an indie game it really looks awesome. Of course, many textures are not too detailed, and the animations are long not perfect, but it looks far better than other Indie games like minecraft or slender for example. Story:
    You are the scientist Robert
    Graphics:
    You are the scientist Robert Hughes and are infected with a deadly plague, which will soon kill you. You are stranded on an island called Eden and you are searching for a cure to safe your life. But unfortunately your colleagues, which were living on the island, searching for a cure, have disappeared. Now you have to survive and look for the cure yourself. But you are not alone on the island. Theres a creature out there chasing you and you don't know how to fight it...
    All in all the story is not too good, but for an indie game it is ok. And if you explore enough, you can find notes about your colleagues and their backstory, which gives the game an interesting touch. Of course the whole story is not stage-managed in any way and I missed scripted events or cutszenes. But that is just a minor issue.
    Gameplay:
    Miasmata has an excellent and very innovative gameplay. It features very new and fresh elements like cartographing or researching plants. In addition, the character has some kind of momentum. That means, if you run down a hill, you start to struggle and fall down, which gives you a nice panic feeling, if you are chased by the beast. And this momentum works perfectly. I did not have any bugs or illogically moments yet. Miasmata also features an interesting beast AI and many strategies to survive a meeting with the beast, but it would ruin the game if I would tell you about them. It makes a lot of fun to try different strategies against the beast and you get a great rewarding feeling if you are successful.So to come to an end: Miasmata features a new and interesting gameplay focused on exploring and trying out things

Conclusion:
    In my opinion, Miasmata is a must-buy for every survival action fan. It has great graphics, superb gameplay and a not too bad story. But I heard, that many people had proplems running the game properly. I did not have any problems running the game, so I did not include them in my review. And as far as I know, the developers are working hard on a solution for these problems.
  9. Dec 4, 2012
    In short, the game is very unique, does many things well, but has some minor issues. Normally I'd say the game is a 8 but because I love games who dare to do new things I'll give it a 9.

Since most people will wonder about the gameplay: The main gameplay consists of traveling the island, avoiding the creature, picking up and examining plants, and add to your map. Especially the mapping system is interesting, since you have to build parts of the map yourself by triangulating your position as well as other positions to reveal new parts. You also only know your own position by triangulation or if you are near a known spot. This way, it adds much to the survival aspect of the game.
  10. Dec 4, 2012
    I am really enjoying this game so far. The varied environment looks and feels amazing, and there's a lot of explorations and secrets waiting to be revealed. This game is very different to other games that i played. If you are a type, who likes action/adventure indie-games, this is perfect for you!
  11. Dec 14, 2012
    There aren't too many games in the world which drop you into its immersive world and lets you figure things out on your own, where you can choose to go about things your way or take simple tutorials to get you set on the right track. Miasmata is a exceptionally original game about survival and a mystery on an uncharted island in a race against time and a terrifying invulnerable beast. I'veThere aren't too many games in the world which drop you into its immersive world and lets you figure things out on your own, where you can choose to go about things your way or take simple tutorials to get you set on the right track. Miasmata is a exceptionally original game about survival and a mystery on an uncharted island in a race against time and a terrifying invulnerable beast. I've spent about 14 hours of this game and I have to say, this is really how a game is made. Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2012
    Miasmata's a game about survival and exploration. Having been built fresh it's a different play feel than most, if not all other games. Movement is more realistic, in that you lose traction on slopes, pick up speed going down hill, and can't turn too quickly if you're running fast. It takes a while to get used to it, but it's a great add.

The graphics are on the upper scale of games,

The graphics are on the upper scale of games, which is an impressive feat considering where it came from.

As for the game itself, if you enjoy exploration, discovery, and (extremely) dangerous adventure, this is a must-buy. An absolutely open world coupled with the ever-present fear of the Creature makes this one of the best games I've played all year.

It's not a short game, either. I've played 10 hours and still not finished. I've probably got another 5 hours to go, so Miasmata is easily worth the $15.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    This game stands out in three aspects: freedom, difficulty and originality. Precisely the aspects that have lost 90 % of current games. Sufficient reason to buy it.
  14. Feb 4, 2013
    I loved the experience of exploring this landscape! They really captured the feeling of running down a hill, on the edge of control, and that's what makes exploring this world, especially when running, so fun. What keeps it fun is the scale of the environment: the ecology of the island is quite varied, depending on where you are. You're really rewarded for striking out in your ownI loved the experience of exploring this landscape! They really captured the feeling of running down a hill, on the edge of control, and that's what makes exploring this world, especially when running, so fun. What keeps it fun is the scale of the environment: the ecology of the island is quite varied, depending on where you are. You're really rewarded for striking out in your own direction and exploring, and the fact that you have to manually fill in your map adds to this, making you feel like you really know the land. And getting to know the land is, of course, really helpful when you're trying to get about, especially at speed. This game may not be for the impatient, or those who need their hand held and told where to go and what to do all the time, or who like to feel in control over everything, but if it was, it wouldn't be so rewarding for the rest of us. Expand
  15. Dec 29, 2012
    For a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants andFor a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants and grass almost everywhere for example, something that you almost never see in realistic amounts in games. The game play itself is the main feature of the game. Those that say it's a bush walking simulator are missing the entire point of the game. You play the role of a man called Richard, a scientist who was researching the cure for a plague. Richard catches said plague and comes to the game's island where a lot of researchers were working on curing it. He arrives to find the scientists missing or dead. And there's a lot of references to some creature stalking everyone. Your role in the game is to find the cure which involves exploring the island and gathering ingredients, all while evading the mysterious creature. Exploring the island by itself is a challenging hazard. With the way the mapping system works (which is easily my favorite part of the game) it's incredibly easy to get lost if you're not paying attention. In addition to that, in your weakened state it's easy to stumble and fall (which can result in you taking damage and sliding down hillsides) and you can't swim very far because you wear out quickly (which can be somewhat helped later on in the game). Then there's the creature. It has a random chance of appearing in most places plus there's certain times it's guaranteed to appear. You're too weak to harm it and it's faster than you. It has really well written intelligent AI that dynamically reacts to the player's actions (although there's an occasional bug where the creature can get stuck running around in circles although that's not too terribly common and is a bug the developers are addressing), trying to cut off escape. Evading and escaping it is somewhat challenging (very challenging until you learn how to deal with it) and extremely exciting.

Graphically, the real impressive parts are the lighting system (which is extremely impressive and realistic) which can stand on even footing with most professionally done development engines and the careful attention to details such as having grass and plants everywhere. For having only two people making the entire game, it's an incredible accomplishment. It's more impressive than many games developed by dozens of people.

The game isn't for everyone, just like as any other game. But for those who enjoy exploring beautiful landscapes, solving mysteries, and trying to survive a challenge, this game is one of the best you'll find. Even with the occasional bug and performance issue.
  16. Mar 23, 2013
    A fascinating survival/exploration game made by only 2 ppl. Very beautiful graphics with a lot of love put into it.
    You are playing a scientist (first person view) who suffers from the plague and is looking for a cure on an empty island. Well empty except of some sort of beast that hunts you.
    Most of the time you are exploring the island, search for the right formula for your medicine, collect flowers and do some research on the,
    Every now and then you will encounter the beast, you can't fight it you can only run or hide which makes a great atmosphere. A bit similar to Amnesia but not that stressful
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    While this is not the perfect survival game I expected at first, this is a beautiful adventure that reminds me on a couple of older games like myst and even morrowind. The engine is not very efficient, but I can play it on my older budget machine on a lower resolution. I give this game 10 points for being innovative and courageous in what it does. In a time where I got bored by the 1000stWhile this is not the perfect survival game I expected at first, this is a beautiful adventure that reminds me on a couple of older games like myst and even morrowind. The engine is not very efficient, but I can play it on my older budget machine on a lower resolution. I give this game 10 points for being innovative and courageous in what it does. In a time where I got bored by the 1000st boring CoD / MoH like shooter (which happen to still ride on the 12 year old Counter Strike Wave) I can't tell you how enormously pleased I'm by the release of titles like miasmata. Expand
  18. Mar 31, 2013
    Just finished Miasmata. It's a brilliant game, totally immersive, with beautiful scenery/artwork and an intriguing (if short) plot.

The downside is, you need a REALLY good machine in order to play it. Otherwise I have heard a number of people say that it is 'choppy and buggy'-although I must admit I had no such problems). Also PLEASE make sure to read the instruction manual before you start playing-I didn't and I had several frustrating hours trying to figure out why I couldn't save or how the hell the controls worked (this was very frustrating but worked itself out once I had customised them).

On the plus side though, the atmosphere is fantastic and I found my heart thumping to the point of almost jumping our of my seat a number of times. The story unfolds slowly which keeps you captivated and focused. The mapping/navigation/triangulation system is a bit of a nightmare at first but I found it quite fun once I figured it out.

Overall I would highly recommend Miasmata. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would play all over again!
  19. Apr 4, 2013
    It is truly a wonderful game, it has given me the best and most satisfying gaming experience in recent months.

The pace is slow (although it can change in a heartbeat), the graphics are average, the setting is beautiful. Sounds are good, the scarce music is amazing. What carries this game on its shoulder is the truly unique atmosphere. This one is about survival and exploration. You

This one is about survival and exploration. You have to explore the wilderness in order to find what you need to progress (herbs to make medicine of), yet as you wander further and further from your sanctuary, you are getting uneasy as the idyll can turn into a wild chase in a second.

What I particularly liked about the game is that it rewards you if you play it as it was meant to be. I mean, if you explore the island with care, think ahead, manage your time and pick the best approach the most important herbs tend to be in the open where you are at a disadvantage with a pre-planned escape route, the game is quite easy. It gets easier as you accommodate yourself to the unique orientation-navigation scheme, which is very rewarding, because you seem to get better through your own progress, rather than power-ups or weapons showered at you.

There are a few negatives separating this from perfection. The latest patch brought dramatic improvement to frame-rate, so technical issues mentioned by others were not one of them for me. The dynamics of the Creature can sometimes be predicted and exploited, sometimes its randomness defeats the purpose. Many choices seem arbitrary in the game (2 pills per outing?) and there are many ways it could be improved (eating, more enemies).

Overall, I really recommend this game. It is fresh, original, well-made and, above all, gripping.
  20. May 31, 2013
    It's an indie game so if you are looking for just shine and polish then this is not for you. If you are looking for atmosphere, genuine open world game-play, exploration where it is possible to get lost, more realistic movement where you should be wary of steep slopes, and moments that will make your heart pound then this is it.

The UI is excellent with little clutter on the screen and

The UI is excellent with little clutter on the screen and if you want to look at your map or take a compass bearing you have to stop and look down. You see what is in your inventory by looking at what is in your hand for the most part. There is a journal to record your discoveries so you can reference what you found. And you must draw the map yourself by triangulating key markers on the landscape rather than have it auto-fill as you move around.

The best game of 2012 for me.
  21. Dec 31, 2012
    The game itself is easy to describe in a way. There is an island and you are on it. You have a disease from which you will die if you do not cure it. To cure it you must explore the island, collect various plants, research them, and combine them to create the antidote. You will be helped along you way by scraps of maps and research notes left behind by the team of, now mysteriouslyThe game itself is easy to describe in a way. There is an island and you are on it. You have a disease from which you will die if you do not cure it. To cure it you must explore the island, collect various plants, research them, and combine them to create the antidote. You will be helped along you way by scraps of maps and research notes left behind by the team of, now mysteriously disappeared, scientists who went before you, and you will be hindered by your overall lack of health, physical stamina, and the creature hunting you. It's open world. Do you want to follow the barely discernible path? Or do you want to turn around and just wander into the woods and hope for the best? Should you do it during the day? During the night? Your choice.

However, the experience is so unique it is hard to describe. One reviewer called it a cross between Far Cry 3, without guns, and Dear Esther, without the locked-into-story-mode. I suppose that may be accurate. Perhaps because the experience is so unique this game cannot be recommended to everyone, but for it's price I think that anyone who has any desire to play games beyond adrenaline pumping shooters (not that I don't like those games too) should at least try this game. Outside of being a niche market, the other minuses are fairly obvious - there are a host of minor technical glitches - and a few major ones if you don't have a high end PC and graphics card. Outside of technical glitches there are some odd graphical glitches which others have noted (pop in items, distant textures look tile like, and up close many the detail is not that great. This is the only reason I did not give this game a ten. However, when you keep in mind that this was a game, and a graphics engine, made from scratch by two people - it is an amazing feat and didn't detract from the overall game. And the game is still generally pretty. Not always, but has a whole this is one of the prettiest games I've played in recent years. Game play itself will likely be different from what you're used to. Having completed it and watched a few playthrough videos I can say with confidence that if you play this game like you play a normal FPS (or any game remotely similar to one) you will likely have a negative experience. The game rewards slow and patient progress. Because there is no HUD or way of pinpointing yourself on the map getting lost in a very large island is guaranteed. Navigation requires taking the time to continually orient yourself, use the in game compass and mapping process, and in generally remember you're not Rambo. But all that is actually what makes the game completely unique and memorable. To sum it up - this is a game you should try because if you're like me (and many others) you may find in it one of the most interesting and unique games of the year and finish wanting more.
  22. Dec 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For three days I wandered alone in this land pondering its mysteries and beauty. Dissecting plants and exploration had become almost rote by now. By day I honed my navigation skills, fighting the terrain and sickness. I mostly slept at night because the darkness was immersive and dizzying making course plotting near invisible. This cursed fever trailed me like a shadow gaining the upper hand whenever I became slack in my preparation. The scout in me had been dormant for far too long to be relied on so heavily now. It was on that third night that bravery, or perhaps hubris, forced me into a corner of my mind rarely visited. Thus far the squirrels, rabbits, and birds had been but cute decorations between falling while running downhill and categorizing the island flora. I synthesized some basic and xtra strength fever meds, filled my canteen, and set off into that bottomless darkness armed with only a handful of flaming twigs and the feeling there was more than I had seen thus far. I had wandered no more than a few hundred yards when my heart began beating loudly. I quickly searched the journal to see if I was in poor health but I was fine. Still the heart and the beating as if Edgar Allen Poe himself had cursed my ears. The a large snap from the east rang out over my heart, now thundering like sasquatch feet. "Damn that squirrel is loud" echoed in my head as fear gripped my spine and pulled me to the west at full speed. Bushes then darkness then trees, more bushes, and falling for what seems to be an eternity. When I regain my footing I hear some thing growling in my ear and again leap to my feet sprinting towards a bridge, clearly losing against my predator. At last I clear the door and cowered in this flimsy until the daylight cleansed my paranoia.

Many days have passed since then but that was when I learned to respect this land and my fragile place in it.

That said this game is easily the most original and innovative title I have seen in 20+ years of full-time gaming, the fact it is also survival horror makes it even better imo. The devs are rather interactive and responsive. Performance is decent and the visuals stunning. This game is such that it will push some of your real life skills to new heights, such as wilderness navigation. Minor frustrations with interface regarding falling. Even then I love that sprinting downhill ends poorly for the runner.
  23. Jan 31, 2013
    Miasmata achieves a peculiar kind of in-game immersion which I could only compare to Amnesia: the dark descent. You are alone, completely vulnerable (sick, thirsty) in a hostile yet truly beautiful environment and there is an omnipresent threat you can only hide from. This makes the perfect sauce for paranoia; you keep your ears open for any uncommon sound, your eyes scrutinizing everyMiasmata achieves a peculiar kind of in-game immersion which I could only compare to Amnesia: the dark descent. You are alone, completely vulnerable (sick, thirsty) in a hostile yet truly beautiful environment and there is an omnipresent threat you can only hide from. This makes the perfect sauce for paranoia; you keep your ears open for any uncommon sound, your eyes scrutinizing every leaf in the jungle and the immersion begins. The premise of the game is quite simple: you are seeking the cure from a plague you'll soon die from on an island where few scientists might have discovered a remedy. You'll have to explore the island to discover what is that cure and how to fabricate it. What really adds to the immersion, aside from your ever constant vulnerability, is the realistic perspective of this game. Your character is sick and dying so you must keep him properly hydrated otherwise he'll become increasingly weak, his vision blurs, etc.; he has a body and hence inertia so you must take care of every movements so that he won't trip on a rock and split his head down a cliff; the environment is huge and getting lost is a true and fearsome possibility - especially if the sun is coming down and you have no light source to guide your steps (chances are you'll split your head on something or worse). I can't say it enough: all those details concur to provide a deeply engaging experience once you let the game get to you.

Technically, the graphics are astonishing and even more so if you consider that this is an indie production. At places, there are some texture and tiling problems but it is easily forgiven by overall beauty of the landscapes (I have played it at max settings though). The following video should give you a good idea of how good the game can look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbdpCWyLFw The sound effects and music are decent but far from being as refined or detailed as what you get with Amnesia. As for the controls, a lot of people, complained of character's tendency to slip on ridiculously small slopes so that overall, the movement is unbearable but in my sense, this is simply an exaggeration. Most of the slopes a normal human being would handle are very well handled by your character and the better he physically gets, the less he is likely to slip; to the contrary, I found that this challenge really added to the experience.

In all, I really recommend to give it a try. Especially if you are fond of games such as Amnesia, Myst or Skyrim (for the exploring part that is).
  24. May 25, 2014
    Bob Johnson and Joe Johnson have done a real incredible job with this game. Just about everything in this game is fantastic, the storyline, graphics, gameplay, you name it! This game is definitely worth paying for at whatever the cost!
  25. Nov 29, 2012

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.