Miasmata PC

• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.7

1. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is pretty and mysterious, and I like that. But the recommended hardware on Steam needs to be reevaluated, my computer is a lot better than what they listed but I still got a kinda choppy fps. It's not a huge deal though. The main reason I give it a 7 is that the game is incredibly slow and easily becomes boring. Other than that, it's fun to look at and explore around the island.
  2. Gua
    Apr 6, 2014
    It's not perfect and pretty hardcore. But I love graphics in it. I love open world exploration and atmoshere in it. In Miasmata I really feel that I'm in woods. Probably someday I will finish it once more.
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    I turned the graphics down and such, so that's all fine. But my only problem is that the camera is constantly slowly moving to the left. I don't know why it's doing that, and even if I unplug my mouse, it continues to move left.
  4. Dec 10, 2012
    To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing,To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing, collect plants. As another person said, it IS literary a bush walking simulator. However it does have it's shining points. I applaud the graphics for two people and design. A lot of the scenery is beautiful and it does get you thinking about the islands previous inhabitants. If you do not mind the snail like pace progression and the repetitiveness of it and know that all you really do is just walk and walk and walk through an island, then you should pick it up. A major downfall is the price and the system requirements. Expand
  5. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wanderingThis game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wandering around, lost in the woods with nothing but a map and a compass. The player character has a real weight to him that's hard to describe, but it makes you really feel like you're controlling a human body, and that creates a lot of immersion. For instance, your character has momentum, and if you get going too fast down a steep hill you'll tumble and possibly injure yourself. You have to approach your exploring in a realistic manner. It makes you think things like, "if I climb to the top of that hill, how am I going to get down safely". Another thing I love is the mapping system. Simply put, it's brilliant, and I can't believe nobody's tried it before. Here's how it works--you get a map and a compass and then use cartography to triangulate your position and reveal where you are on the map. Once you've done that you can put other landmarks you see on your map which will help you navigate. It's incredibly easy to get lost in the dense forests and the only way to reorient yourself is to look at landmarks and your map. What's great about this is that when you actually manage to map your way to a far off objective you really feel like you accomplished something. When you finally see that campsite you've been searching the last half-hour for it's a great moment.

There's also a great research aspect where by collecting plants and researching them you can create medicines and tonics. This ties into the main goal of the game which is to find a cure for the plague the player has, but you can also make other things, like a potion that will allow you to constantly see where you are on the map. The only way to find the recipes for these is through experimentation. This gives the research that you're doing to find the cure an added bit of fun.

I don't want to say too much, but there's a tantalizing plot that you slowly piece together through journals and other things that makes you start to realize things aren't exactly the way they seemed at first. I have yet to finish the game, but I have a have a hunch the ending is going to be very interesting. That's all I can say except that from what I've seen so far I'm very excited to find out how this all shakes out.

This is one the most unique titles I've seen in years. It reminds me of the old days when fresh ideas weren't such a rare commodity in the gaming world like they are today. It's probably not for everyone, but that's good. If you watch some let's plays on youtube you'll know whether or not this is your type of game. For me, it's a real gem, and if it looks interesting to you in the slightest bit, I implore you to give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.