7.8

1. Sep 26, 2011
    I really enjoyed Clash of Heroes for several reasons. First one is that it doesn't pressure your mind, and doesn't make any attempts to seem too serious. I like games where I can simply have fun and enjoy the game world. The graphics is great, nothing too complicated, very stylish and pleasant for the eye. Gameplay is easy to get a hold of, it may not offer you the deepest strategy of yourI really enjoyed Clash of Heroes for several reasons. First one is that it doesn't pressure your mind, and doesn't make any attempts to seem too serious. I like games where I can simply have fun and enjoy the game world. The graphics is great, nothing too complicated, very stylish and pleasant for the eye. Gameplay is easy to get a hold of, it may not offer you the deepest strategy of your life, but there were battles and puzzles that I could pass only from the second-third time. All in all, it's an awesome game, and a 15$ price tag is a fair price for it. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2012
    This game was fun (other than a few annoyingly arbitrary mission success requirements), UNTIL Aidan's campaign. As a little hint, DO NOT SKIP THE DEMON BATTLE THAT COMES UP IN THE BEGINNING OF HIS CAMPAIGN. I repeat, do NOT (NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT) skip it, or you will flat out not be able to advance any further. There are no random battles, no puzzles, no side missions, NOTHING. Just aThis game was fun (other than a few annoyingly arbitrary mission success requirements), UNTIL Aidan's campaign. As a little hint, DO NOT SKIP THE DEMON BATTLE THAT COMES UP IN THE BEGINNING OF HIS CAMPAIGN. I repeat, do NOT (NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT) skip it, or you will flat out not be able to advance any further. There are no random battles, no puzzles, no side missions, NOTHING. Just a story battle with a character who you will absolutely not be able to beat. I tried literally 20 times, and the best I can say is that I held my own for a few rounds. Her champion units are WAY too powerful to be left undefended (they can kill a wall, a unit, and you in one attack), and using your champion units (of which you can only afford 2) will either see them killed, or will reduce them to such low attack that they don't do any damage either. If this is the game developer's idea of a fun challenge (retrying and retrying and retrying and retrying until you can charge 2 champion units with the 2 moves of your first turn), then they need to lose their jobs so that someone in touch with reality can have a job. If I wanted to rely on nothing but dumb luck to have fun, I'd go for the world record in coin flipping. Expand
  3. Apr 14, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. It reminded me of puzzle quest in that it's adding RPG elements to a puzzle game, but this game makes a much more interesting fusion of the two concepts. The combat/puzzle system is quite unique and you have a lot of neat choices to make in terms of your unit compositions and such. During the campaign, right when you start to get bored of one type or army, youI really enjoyed this game. It reminded me of puzzle quest in that it's adding RPG elements to a puzzle game, but this game makes a much more interesting fusion of the two concepts. The combat/puzzle system is quite unique and you have a lot of neat choices to make in terms of your unit compositions and such. During the campaign, right when you start to get bored of one type or army, you get to try something new, so that's fun and they have a few interesting puzzles outside of standard combat, too.

The story is pretty standard fare but the art style is nice and there's some nice humor. All in all, a pretty good value. I dunno that I'd pay $15 for it but it was on sale on steam for $7.50 and that's a great price.
  4. Olf
    Jan 1, 2012
    LOL take a lesson from "BIOWARE" Merrill4life? You mean "EA_ware?" If you liked dragon age 2 and thought that was tactical at all its obvious that your opinion is skewed from the rest of most gamers. Go back to neverwinter nights or baldars gate or the real dragon age DAO if you wish to play a game that took any thought at all.. Their is little to zero in regards to tactics in DA2. ThisLOL take a lesson from "BIOWARE" Merrill4life? You mean "EA_ware?" If you liked dragon age 2 and thought that was tactical at all its obvious that your opinion is skewed from the rest of most gamers. Go back to neverwinter nights or baldars gate or the real dragon age DAO if you wish to play a game that took any thought at all.. Their is little to zero in regards to tactics in DA2. This game however M&MCOH does not take itself too seriously and is a fun little game with does not have the smell of untreated sewage that DA2 did. Its a good time sink for a few minutes at a time where you never really feel like you have to get to that next step. Just stay where you are enjoy it and come back another day. Expand
  5. Oct 9, 2011
    A masterpiece. Enough said. What a great twist to the might and magic saga. Absolutely fun as hell and addictive. I got hooked on the first 10 minutes. The art style is great, the story, while nothing groundbreaking, still interesting. The combat is great, easy at first, gets challenging later on. The mp is great too. 1v1 or 2v2. It has its share of bugs, but nothing gameA masterpiece. Enough said. What a great twist to the might and magic saga. Absolutely fun as hell and addictive. I got hooked on the first 10 minutes. The art style is great, the story, while nothing groundbreaking, still interesting. The combat is great, easy at first, gets challenging later on. The mp is great too. 1v1 or 2v2. It has its share of bugs, but nothing game breaking at all. A masterpiece that will be underrated and passed on because gamers these days prefer the crap of COD and BF3, instead of fun stuff like this. Collapse
  6. Sep 22, 2011
    A laughable attempt at tactics based gameplay; unlike Dragon Age II where you fought like a Spartan and thought like a General, the only thing you will be thinking when playing Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is "Why?" The best thing about this entry is the anime style cut scenes but that hardly justifies paying for what is tantamount to a glorified commercial to create buzz for theirA laughable attempt at tactics based gameplay; unlike Dragon Age II where you fought like a Spartan and thought like a General, the only thing you will be thinking when playing Might & Magic Clash of Heroes is "Why?" The best thing about this entry is the anime style cut scenes but that hardly justifies paying for what is tantamount to a glorified commercial to create buzz for their upcoming Heroes VI. Shame on you Ubisoft, you should take a page out Bioware's book and release quality content like Dragon Age II: Legacy and the soon to be released Dragon Age II: Mark of the Assassin featuring the lovely Felicia Day. Expand
  7. Apr 30, 2013
    Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a match-three game with turn-based combat game-mechanics set in a fantasy universe where the player controls one of five young heroes who each try to get back on their feet after events depicted in the very first mission. Each hero has a different type of army and can not be played unless the former hero has finished his chapter. (However, side-missionsMight & Magic: Clash of Heroes is a match-three game with turn-based combat game-mechanics set in a fantasy universe where the player controls one of five young heroes who each try to get back on their feet after events depicted in the very first mission. Each hero has a different type of army and can not be played unless the former hero has finished his chapter. (However, side-missions are optional and you can return to finish these even if you have finished a chapter)

The graphics are drawn in a sort of European manga-style and tend to look somewhat childish. The game isn't particularly good looking but it does look professional. Many events are told through the use of cut-scenes. As far as I recall there is no adult material being spoken about apart from death so the game is quite suitable for younger players as well.

The fights are won by matching units of the same colour which then become "charged". Once they are charged, they gain more health every turn and eventually unleash an attack against the opponent. The opponent can do the same and charges can be negated by having them clash with a stronger charge or other obstacles. However, if a charge manages to break through entirely one of the two combatants will lose health. When all the health is gone, the fight ends. If the player loses, he is allowed to reload to before the fight and try again or walk away until he is stronger.

There are special kinds of fights where the objective is not to drain the enemy's HP and you can customize your army by choosing the types of fighters you will be using, leveling them and picking an item that suits your style-of-play. You can also find and recruit champions that have special powers but take longer to charge up than regular units. They die if they're killed by an attacking charge, unlike regular units.

However, I found the game to be particularly difficult early on and become a cake-walk when my armies were sufficiently leveled up and I had found all the champions. Being able to level your armies (and having to fight higher level armies) often means the side with the lowest level creatures will be obliterated.

The player moves the protagonist around with the mouse, clicking on treasure chests for resources that allow the recruiting of champions and clicking on balloons above characters to unlock side-quests or advance the story.

I found the story to be somewhat childish but amusing. I never finished the game because the end-boss is too strong and doesn't really let you puzzle your way through the fight, it wipes you out if your strategy isn't up-to-par with what the developers had in mind. However, most fights bar a few were quite amusing and the game quite addictive.

I have not played multiplayer but the game features 2 humans versus 2 humans team deathmatch from what I've read.

Recommended to fans of Puzzle Quest and the likes.

This game does NOT auto-save the way you'd think it would! Always save your game before exiting!
  8. Sep 23, 2011
    Catchy and simple gameplay, nice story and graphics. Good combat system with elements of tactics and puzzles. All-round good game. Nothing exceptional and nothing awful.
  9. Dec 13, 2012
    Do you like puzzle games? Turn-based strategy games? RPGs? Cash-ins on old series'? Then this is the game for you! Barely has anything to do with M&M and would've been a solid game on it's own. It's pretty much Bejeweled with wizards.
  10. Jan 27, 2012
    5% Strategy, 95% Luck. Terrible. I don't need 150 characters to say this game is a piece of crap. It's really, really, really, really, really awful.
  11. Oct 2, 2011
    Clash of Heroes is a game similar to Puzzle kingdoms or Puzzle Quest II. It's nothing too fancy but it does work. It's for casual gamers and deviate from the standard Might & Magic game. It's not a great game, but you'll throw a few hours at it,
  12. Jan 3, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game. It' not a regular rpg; it's a strategy/rpg hybrid like King's Bounty or Puzzle Quest. If you like those two games you will probably like this. The story is cute and cliche, but really just a reason for the cool strategy game. It also runs nicely (and looks beautiful) on my netbook (Atom 1.6ghz & Nvidia Ion), though I'd try the demo first on any laptop chipset.I really enjoyed this game. It' not a regular rpg; it's a strategy/rpg hybrid like King's Bounty or Puzzle Quest. If you like those two games you will probably like this. The story is cute and cliche, but really just a reason for the cool strategy game. It also runs nicely (and looks beautiful) on my netbook (Atom 1.6ghz & Nvidia Ion), though I'd try the demo first on any laptop chipset. The graphics are simple but good, kind of like an HD anime version of what old top-down SNES RPGs looked like. You can play kb/mouse or with a 360 controller; both work equally well, and you can switch on the fly. I got about 40 hours out of it single-player, and it has online multiplayer and hotseat local multiplayer. Well worth the $15. Expand
  13. May 6, 2012
    Clash of Heroes is a puzzle RPG, where you attack by matching units vertically and defend by matching horizontally. Other things like artifacts and hero-specific spells make the battles more interesting. The puzzle combat is a lot of fun, and the RPG elements add quite a bit to it.

The story wasn't bad... much better than what I expected a puzzle RPG to have. The graphics are colorful, distinct, and done well. The sound was pleasant, though not memorable.

The only real problem I have with it is that a lot of units have unique abilities, and it never tells you what abilities your opponents are using until you get them for yourself. It really sucks when you die because you didn't realize that all Nightmares fire at the same time.

Puzzle game fans should absolutely get Clash of Heroes. It's definitely worth it, even at full price.
  14. Sep 4, 2012
    Clash of Heroes is a fun, addicting puzzle RPG similar to titles like Puzzle Quest. The combat is easy to learn but difficult to master. The story is rather basic and predictable but the gameplay is so fun that it really doesn't matter. After the main story (which is going to take 20-30 hours) there's still multiplayer, which adds an extra layer of challenge to strategies.
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    This puzzle game is great- while you may think that you're winning just because you're killing lots of units, you realize you actually need to be effective and creative in poking holes in your opponents' defenses. You can win this game through sheer attrition, but if you take the time to think through the puzzles, you'll be rewarded with an army that will ROFL-stomp anyone in their path.This puzzle game is great- while you may think that you're winning just because you're killing lots of units, you realize you actually need to be effective and creative in poking holes in your opponents' defenses. You can win this game through sheer attrition, but if you take the time to think through the puzzles, you'll be rewarded with an army that will ROFL-stomp anyone in their path. The downside is that the RPG aspect of this game is fairly weak- leveling up your monsters sounds great, but it's not implemented well. Other than that, the innovative gameplay makes for a fun time. Expand
  16. Mar 17, 2014
    Doesn't really deserve a 10 but a 9.5, but 10 will do because this game gave me too much fun to not give it the best note.

Clash of Heroes is a puzzle game whose complexity and strategy potential is just immense. 5 races, 8 units in each race, each unit with their own charge time, strength, defense, type of attack, type of defense, special effect such as poison, stealing mana,

5 races, 8 units in each race, each unit with their own charge time, strength, defense, type of attack, type of defense, special effect such as poison, stealing mana, stealing health, one-hit-killing the foe, stealing enemy's charge, destroying walls, attacking stronger depending on your hero's mana, jumping over walls, creating defensive magical walls, strengthening your Charge power(which is attack power) by eating idle enemies, having +50% defense, healing your hero while it charges, being +100% stronger when you attack your last enemy, etc etc: this game's diversity is nothing short of awesome.

The incredibly numerous and varied strategies you can create with basic units(3 per race), Hero Units(2 or 3 per race) and Champion units(2 or 3 per race) is just amazing.

Add to that that the game has an incredible amount of Hero powers such as using your walls as massive fireball attacks, throwing extra strong arrows to the enemy, launching random lightning strikes, strengthening your attack, your defense, your charge time, getting your units to their last charging turn...

Add to THAT the numerous artifacts and options they give such as an extra move per turn, added offensive for weakened HP, faster attacks, more HP, more strength or defense or base charge...

The potential for strategy and tactics in this game is truly, truly awesome. As games go this is the most playable game I've played in years. It looks simple but reveals an immense complexity that never stops being fun.

I could say even more good things about the incredibly good gameplay but I have to leave some room for the bad things.

First off unlike some, I like the anime art style in this. It doesn't dissapoint for most Good characters and units. When it comes to Evil ones though, it's pretty disastrous. Undead look like plushies and Demons look like they were drawn by a 5 year old. Nothing ugly about them, but that's the issue: they should be ugly. And they're not even a little bit. I guess that is a target market to make this game for young kids, but I wonder how many young kids will enjoy a puzzle game like this.
    No big issues with the art style apart from the villains and evil creatures.

Music-wise, there's just one thing to say, this is absolute cr*p. There are 3 songs out of the entire game I can bear after finishing the game once, that's one of the eight battle themes, the final boss theme and the victory theme(which lasts like 10 seconds). The rest is very poor ambients, no music of any kind, the forests of Irollan don't sound very different to the fires of Sheogh, no place has any musical identity, seven out of eight battle themes are ripped off from the M&M franchise and have nothing good about them. It's clearly the worst part of the game.

The story is pretty lame too, though. Nothing inherently wrong with its writing but nothing good either. I didn't care about any of the characters and the ending didn't make me change my mind. It's a story you read once to know the whys and hows, and then never care again. There is one line I like out of all the game, it's the demon that gets killed during Mt Neberzyias' eruption. The rest is just there so that the game has a story.

Admitedly, I used to speedrun this game, and the fact that the story's worth is near null has been a great argument to play this while skipping the story.

Lastly, the game plays with a seemingly basic method of stacking units of the same colour: stack 3 units vertically to make an attack, 3 horizontally to make a wall layer. To charge up a Hero unit(2 tiles) or Champion(4 tiles), you add base units of their colour behind them, 2 for Heroes and 4 for Champions.
    This seemingly simplistic system reveals its incredible efficiency when you add links and fusions. The battlefield is 6x8 tiles, with 6 vertical. To fuse two groups or hero/champion units, you need to take exactly 6 vertical tiles. Which means that you can only fuse if you have no defenses. These kind of "minor" details show how well-thought this game is. Your immense potential for destructive power depends almost entirely on your choices for attack, defense, setting walls, destroying the right units to create attacks or walls at the right moment, preparing and launching attacks simultaneously to create links that add attack power to all units in the link(see a Pit Fiend go from 110 attack alone to 170 thanks to being in a link of 4 simultaneous attacks!), fusing, using your Hero's power at the right time...

This masterpiece's strategic/puzzle value is tremendous. So it's a 10, despite its numerous flaws. I noticed a lot of people complained about the luck factor, but trust me: the more you play, the more it becomes tactical, as luck slowly loses its grip on you when you truly master the game.
  17. Aug 29, 2014
    ok this is game is fun if u want to spend some time but that is as much you will get it seems more like i phone or ios port game cause it s boringg at some point no customisation combat is 95% luck and minnimum strategy going on mission and side mission is frustrating cause there is no fast way only walking back and forth all the time overall is a mediocre game
  18. Oct 9, 2011

1. Dec 1, 2011
    In the end, Clash of Heroes spends too much time trying to distract you from the one thing that makes it brilliant. [Jan 2012, p.80]
    Catchy and enjoyable handheld conversion of popular Might & Magic series brings a smart combat system with lots of units and perfect multiplayer. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 7, 2011
    Capybara Games have created a fighting system that delivers decent amounts of fun. Defeating numbers of enemies and solving some battle puzzles is extremely satisfying and all of that is magnified by beautiful, hand-drawn graphics.