Might & Magic X: Legacy PC

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Jan 23, 2014
7.2

1. Apr 19, 2014
    Let me first say that it is good that MMX was developed. It is surely an improvement over the disaster that was MMIX, and it is an honest attempt of reviving the classic gameplay of the series.

My main issues with the game is that it is not properly balanced and that it is relatively short for a Might and Magic RPG. There are too many instances where you have to die again and again in order to discover what you need to do and that is a feature of classic games that we should definitely leave in the past. Some spells are completely useless in most occasions and absolutely critical in some point, like the trap-finding spell. There are hardly any traps anywhere and at one point in the game they are downright lethal. Another example is the Searing Rune spell. It is a very useful spell, but if you cast it while the enemy is too far or in melee range then you just end up frying yourself - and often with no way of escape. There is no way to choose where you set it, it just targets itself.

As far as combat is concerned, there is no way to tell how powerful an enemy is before engaging them and after doing so there is no way to escape. A striking example of this are Air Elementals. The Elite type are far more dangerous than any other elite elemental type, regardless of your elemental protection. In fact they are more dangerous to engage than the Air Elemental Lord, supposedly the most powerful Air Elemental around.

Therefore, you often find yourself in a position where you take a wrong step, you die. You open the wrong door, you die. You meet the wrong enemy, you die. This sort of thing can be avoided, without making a game wimpy (Legend of Grimrock is a perfect example of this). In fact, there are quite a few lessons that Limbic could have learned from LoG in order to elevate their game from a classic RPG fan service to a truly outstanding title in its own right.

When all is said and done I enjoyed the game, despite its faults, and look forward to the next installment. Classic RPGs with tactical gameplay can still be a lot of fun and we need more, better titles to make publishers understand that.
  2. Apr 29, 2015
    I expected God knows what, having in memories a monumental M&M6, and loving Wizardry 8. Yeah, both series are quite different, but still are pretty similiar if it comes to the feeling them.

After few hours I see that M&M X is bafflingly simple, both to mechanics and difficulty. Or the lack of them both. I know I will finish it eventually, it's not a dreadfully bad game, but it feels almost like a minigame that got turned into a full release in the middle of a development.

There's almost a game breaking issue for me, though. The game has insanely bad optimalization and overheats THE **** OUT of by GPU, where not a single other game does that. Shadows on/off, vsync on/off, doesn't matter. It will quickly hit 90C< after few minutes (like 10 or 20 minutes).

If you're looking for a dungeon crawler, almost any other choice is better. Comparing it even to M&M9 is a joke.
  3. Dec 1, 2014
    Very disappointing. Most dialogue is not voice-acted, battles aren't very tactical and there are a couple of joy killers in the user interface (no "end turn" button or hotkey, no tactical retreat). Whatever you do, don't pay full retail. If you wait for it to go on special, and you're a fan of the series, you probably won't hate it.
  4. Dec 24, 2015
    It is good for some nostalgia feelings but otherwise this game is not very interesting, I didn't manage to find time to finish it, however while I played it for several hours I liked what I saw. Didn't get much excited, but liked it anyway. That's your regular 7 out of 10, average game.
  5. Oct 23, 2014
    For a veteran PC RPG gamer like myself, this is a refreshing throwback to the days of PC RPGs like the older Might & Magic games or the Eye of the Beholder series. Like those games of yesteryear, you end up playing a party of 4 adventurers who make their way through the world tile by tile and engage in combat turn by turn.

Pros: - Challenging yet well balanced gameplay that keeps you

Pros:
    - Challenging yet well balanced gameplay that keeps you on your toes tactically. You're encouraged to think carefully and plan ahead before engaging in combat, particularly with regard to boss fights.

- The bestiary is a nice touch. This is basically a journal which your party keeps of each monster encountered that lists all its stats like attack bonuses and resistances to various types of magic. The entry on each monster does not have much info to begin with, but as you encounter that particular monster type more often, more stats are revealed. This helps you plan your combat strategy when next you happen to meet that monster type.

Cons:
    - Poor performance. Despite the game not being particular graphics-intensive, it occasionally lags while you are travelling through the countryside, and entering any dungeon or city involves a loading screen (with the same picture every time) which takes ages to go away. Crashes occasionally occurred after I had been playing the game for a few hours at a time and was waiting for a loading screen.

- Dull storyline and somewhat lifeless, generic fantasy world which you feel very little connection to.

- Character customization is very limited. You only have a choice of 4 different races, with 3 different classes unique to each race that focus on combat, magic or a combination of the two. Each race and gender only has a total of two different voices to choose from, and two different character portraits. I really feel the developers could have made more of an effort to include more portraits and voices but I suppose the budget was fairly tight for this title, given that the last Might and Magic title came out years ago and was not a success back then.

- All characters have a fixed portrait on their inventory screen, unlike the proper paper dolls used in some previous M&M games that reflect the actual gear the character has equipped. It ruins immersion somewhat when your mercenary is toting a greatsword, chainmail and a nifty horned helmet, yet you're stuck with a default portrait that shows him/her in plate armour with a shield and no helmet.

- My main gripe is that there seems to be no option to flee from combat. It is all too easy to venture into a dungeon, cave or castle off the beaten path and come face to face with an enemy that can obliterate your entire party in a couple of rounds. A good example of this is when I decided to check out what was described as a "dangerous cave" and found myself facing a huge Cyclops who was a square or two away from my party. I fired a couple of arrows at him and when I found out how much health he seemed to have, I decided to try and flee as the exit was literally right behind me. However the game would not let me exit the cave so I had to fight gamely on for a couple of rounds as he proceeded to beat my party to a pulp. My advice? Be cautious and stick to only entering buildings when you need to for specific quests, or else explore the nearby wilderness for monsters to take on. Steer clear of everything else unless you absolutely cannot.

- Combat does get a bit repetitive after a while. There are two spells you will inevitably find yourself using until your eyes bleed (yes, I'm talking about you, Celestial Armour and Regenerate) and health and mana tend to deplete very rapidly, leading to tedious levels of potion guzzling almost every round.

- The hotbar on the screen for the currently selected character only contains 10 slots. This is ridiculously meagre as you will typically use 3 of these slots for the attack, defend and missile actions, leaving you with only 7 to map spells, special abilities or potions to. Inevitably you will not have enough space for everything and you'll have to keep opening your spell book repeatedly during combat to access other spells or abilities, making combat even more tedious.

- Poorly staged encounters. Monsters will often spawn out of nowhere in response to specific events, such as the party finding a certain item in a dungeon. Typically they will be right next to the party which means there are limited opportunities to use missile weapons as these only do 50% of normal damage against opponents adjacent to the party. This seriously devalues any of the classes that specialize in missile weapons.

Conclusion:
    Not a bad game, and a refreshing old school turn-based alternative to PC RPG gamers seeking a more tactical experience who are tired of the realtime RPG action games that the market seems to be flooded with nowadays. Sadly the game has something of a rushed feel though.
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    As much as I appreciate the effort put into resurrecting M&M franchise, I cannot say this game deserves better than "mediocre" notes. Simply too many corners were cut while developing this game. Fights almost totally lacks strategic planing - those difficult ones just rely on pure luck with block/miss/critical hits. Save/load the game 20 times and you will finally win the big boss fight.As much as I appreciate the effort put into resurrecting M&M franchise, I cannot say this game deserves better than "mediocre" notes. Simply too many corners were cut while developing this game. Fights almost totally lacks strategic planing - those difficult ones just rely on pure luck with block/miss/critical hits. Save/load the game 20 times and you will finally win the big boss fight. Also game is pretty unbalanced and the freedom of party creation is limited by lack of imagination on the developer side and their lackluster decisions - ie. try not to choose a freemage as a member of your party and you are pretty much screwed as she is the only character that can cast spells required to find hidden doors. Want to make some party with shields users - well you can but because of the linear structure of the game if you reach expert level by the end of the Lighthouse quest you cannot train it to the appropriate level because the trainer is in other town which you cannot reach at this stage of the game - so you are screwed with a party that cannot defeat the boss because you were putting your skill points into something you cannot train yet. Well unless you want to save/load it several dozens of times that is. The world is small, how to make it bigger - make the player run back and forth to town for supplies required to rest and to repair broken equipment. Those are just examples of how the game was poorly put together - it has a lot of parts but there was little tough into putting them into an enjoyable experience. Seems like the developers are fine with the game being just "playable". And when after 20 hours of playing you realize that you have to start over because the mechanic is broken and the party you assembled is unable to do something essential - the whole charm and nostalgia the game brought back is replaced with frustration. Expand
  7. Jul 19, 2014
    Interesting RPG system. But who balanced hard mode?! "Your mage has 90 hp? Take and handle 204d mg from regular enemy!" Oneshot, with no chance to win.
  8. Jan 23, 2014
    The game doesn't really live up to it's predecessors, which were made ~10 years ago. Instead of taking the best from MM 1-5 (the grid games) and 6-8 (the 3d games), and obviously discounting 9... we got many of the worst aspects of those games. Normally I wouldn't compare games to others in a review, but the quality of this game really lies somewhere in between MM1 and 2. It's gotThe game doesn't really live up to it's predecessors, which were made ~10 years ago. Instead of taking the best from MM 1-5 (the grid games) and 6-8 (the 3d games), and obviously discounting 9... we got many of the worst aspects of those games. Normally I wouldn't compare games to others in a review, but the quality of this game really lies somewhere in between MM1 and 2. It's got potential to remake the series, but really does start back at the beginning.

The major problem is a common one these days. Too much focus on graphics, not enough on the game. It will never have the level of story or immersion that World of Xeen had (or the clever mixing of two titles) because of the work needed to add any resources to the game.

The UI also takes away from immersion into the game. Much of it is about as awkward as forcing a recent game to adhere to an old-school grid system (go figure). Small text, slow response on conversations, and many other issues make doing anything a bit of a hassle. It's better than beta, but still has some way to go to truly be an immersive game.

The game itself is fine, and a bit entertaining. I had a hard time deciding between a 6 or 7. But don't expect anything to really draw you in. It's a mish-mash of all old ideas that weren't even all the best ideas of the time.
  9. Feb 2, 2014
    Mediocre.
    The good news is that a lot of annoying tedium seen in the early access is gone - endless spawns, tons of mobs around lighthouse, endless equipment breakage. Now having played the release for a few hours, this game seems mediocre - there are no really good parts to keep me engaged.
    Mediocre.

Oh, and don't forget the voice acting: "They must've smelled us ... who forgot to take a bath?" Over an over and over, ad nauseum, any time the monster indicator turns yellow. After 30-40 times hearing that in different voices, I just turned all "character barks" off
  10. Jan 29, 2014
    MMX is fun for sure, but it could be much better. I keep to hit points int he game where it feels like the developers just tought for themselves: "Welp, that's not good but it will do it."

Making the game just medicore overall.
  11. Jan 31, 2014
    Might & Magic X - Legacy

Concept: A Dungeon crawling old school hack-and-slash RPG set in the Heroes of Might and Magic World. Graphics: ★★★☆☆ Not Skyrim, but for a 3D grid-base dungeon crawler it looks pleasing. Sound: ★★★☆☆ The music is reminiscent of some of the classic Might & Magic titles as well as the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Sound effects are simple and
    Might & Magic X - Legacy

Concept:

Graphics: ★★★☆☆
    Not Skyrim, but for a 3D grid-base dungeon crawler it looks pleasing.

Sound: ★★★☆☆
    The music is reminiscent of some of the classic Might & Magic titles as well as the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Sound effects are simple and repetitive.

Playability: ★★★★☆
    Easy controls and interface like its predecessors.

Entertainment: ★★★☆☆
    If your familiar with games of the past like the Wizardry series or the Might & Magic games, you will love this title as it takes you down memory lane but for those who are new to these type of games may get bored as the gameplay may get repetitive.

Replay Value: ★★★★☆
    I feel the game has a High replay value especially since your party consists of 4 members and there are a total of 12 possible Classes to mix and match with the 4 races.

Overall Rating: ★★★½☆☆

MY PERSONAL REVIEW

The Game takes place a few years after the events of Might & Magic: Heroes VI. Might & Magic X - Legacy takes place on the Agyn Peninsula. It's a throwback to the hack-and-slash RPGs of old and no knowledge of the past series is required to play it. You can create a Four person party consisting of 4 Races and 12 Classes to select from. While the party size is locked at four, players can pick up additional hirelings to fill specialized needs that give certain buffs or the pack horse that adds a considerable amount of inventory space which I found a must. The classes offer lots of skills and spells to choose from. The individual skills can be ranked up starting at novice and going up to Grandmaster. Some of the spells you get at Grandmaster are devastating but the road to get there is a long one. If you liked the Diablo style loot drops than you’ll like this game as there is a ton of different types of loot. The game adds some puzzle and riddle solving to take away from the constant combat grind. Players can roam towns to find various power ups, coins, and quests that send them out into the wilderness. The game offers about 60+ Hours of play time if you explore every nook and cranny and take the time to read all the Lore it offers. This game is nothing like the Heroes of might & Magic series but if you liked games of the past like the Wizardry or Eye of the Beholder series or even the new Legend of Grimrock than this is the game for you.
  12. Sep 30, 2014
    While I certainly did enjoy this game it did feel flawed and did not quite deliver on the M&M nostalgic 'hit' I was hoping for.

What did I enjoy the most? Probably the character progression and loot, both of these elements were done nicely and I enjoyed experiencing how my character level-up choices and a new skill level or legendary piece of equipment directly improved my character's in game combat abilities.
    Things that were limited: the balance was off, i.e. combat became far too easy later on in the game, the grid based system really made the world and whole experience seem overly 'structured' and the quests and story were a bit lack-luster.

A fun game while it lasted but I am happy to have it finished to be able to move onto another game. In my opinion Legend of Grimrock did this grid based 'old-school' style of game much better.
  13. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is still in Alpha. It won't be release till next year. I'm only writing this review to tell potential purchasers of this game (which will be released NEXT year) to ignore the reviews so far (especially the low scores).

Anybody who reviews an unreleased game, in Alpha stage yet, needs to be ignored like the plague. After the game comes out, then I'd listen to those reviews. Why Metacritic allows reviews long before a game is even released is beyond me.
  14. Jan 24, 2014
    The game is okay. Its as described: an old school RPG. My only real problem is the graphics which are extremely crude. Game looks like it was made in the mid 90's. The fact that it was released as completed with such abysmal graphics is disheartening. I'd hold off a couple of months and buy it during the next steam sale when it'll be about a third of the price.
  15. Jan 25, 2014
    M&MX is the perfect game for people who are getting old and want to feel younger again. You know, those people in their 30/40s that **** about everything being better in the old days, mainly because they hate themselves for what they have become...

Personally, I'm on the fence about this one. I came into PC gaming with Might & Magic IV: The Mandate of Heaven, which was basically a new starting point for the Might & Magic series. It was a fantastic game, with a huge open world, tons of loot, and huge amounts of enemies. Eventually the series would crash hard with Might & Magic IX, which was basically a bug-infested travesty. A shame, and when the news came out that Might & Magic would return for a tenth instalment, I was very, VERY happy. I mean, with all the technical possibilities we have today, and the series it was based upon, it HAD to be a great game right?

Well...not really.

Sadly M&MX isn't based on the fantastic sixth/seventh/eight instalments of the series, but rather on the ancient first five. Great games in itself, but gaming has moved on, and not for nothing. Of course, it is "hip" to go "old school", yet now we have a game that only sad, stuck in their ways men (no woman will play this, EVER) will love. The rest might like it, but most will give it a pass.

My main beef with this game is that they went back to turn-based grit movement/combat. This makes the entire game feel very sluggish and slow, less open world, and, especially, very old. I used to love it when I could just run around a map full of enemies, pelting away arrows and spells at a huge group of enemies. It was one of the best parts of the newer older games (VI to IX). In M&M X, you have to move grit by grit and wait until the enemy is within range for some slow turn-based combat. Don't get me wrong, the combat works, but it's not much fun when you have to do it against every single enemy. But I guess it's one way to make a 20 hour game last over 50...

Graphics are a bit dodgy for 2014, but the M&M series was never a graphic marvel so it's easily overlooked. They work, let's just keep it at that.

Sound is solid, with some epic music that hits the spot.

Gameplay is OK, if you don't mind very slow turn-based fights. You need to use your smarts, especially in the beginning of the game, and that might put some people right off. The lack of "modern" implementations like fast travel or town portals is another thing that will make a lot of people leave this game alone. You have to walk, in turned based fashion no less, over the entire map to cities, if you need to buy a rations/potions/level skills. It's a chore, one that should have been lightened by including a town portal spell (even if it was on a CD).

Still, the game is fun in it's own way. You get a real feeling of accomplishment when your piss-poor party slowly turns into a lean mean slaughtering machine when you level them the right way and pimp them out with the right kind of equipment. There is loot is a-plenty, and even though it is never spectacular (even artifacts, sort of unique items, won't blow your mind) it is a joy to sell off big amounts of stuff you don't need to buy equipment you do, or to find stuff you can actually use (take that Diablo 3...). Also there is plenty to discover, in a big more or less open world. It's RPG heaven really.

This game would have gotten a solid 9 from me, if they wouldn't have walked the trendy "old school" line. It's aged and therefore bothersome gameplay (turn-based movement in a grit, no quick ways to travel), sadly takes a lot of fun out of the game. It might be great for old farts who like to complain on the internet about "how great games used to be", but for more modern or casual gamers, it can be off putting. And that's a shame. Oh well, better next time!

16. Jan 31, 2014
    Surprisingly good. Especially if you were a fan of the earlier versions. The grid system does make the game seem a little clunky in the beginning, but that's something you get used to. The game play is good and sometimes a little unforgiving. The many different races/classes also mean there are many ways to play the game (some easier than others). The only one 'bad' thing which I don'tSurprisingly good. Especially if you were a fan of the earlier versions. The grid system does make the game seem a little clunky in the beginning, but that's something you get used to. The game play is good and sometimes a little unforgiving. The many different races/classes also mean there are many ways to play the game (some easier than others). The only one 'bad' thing which I don't really like about the game mechanic is that your party cannot disengage (i.e. move away from an enemy) once they are in a grid next to you. Nonetheless, I would rate it pretty highly and good old school rpg fun. Collapse

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Might and Magic X: Legacy is a shamelessly old-school RPG made for us raised on Might and Magic and Eye of Beholder. It's a fine romp even without the nostalgia. The generic setting lacks personality, like some of the quirky aspects of Jon van Caneghem's old Might and Magic games, but solid combat system with spot on difficulty curve makes up for it. Budget production values show on how much some of the assets are recycled throughout, and the fairly short adventure never reaches truly epic proportions, but despite that I'd adventure more in a world like this. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    It is not easy to sum up a game like Might & Magic X: Legacy. It is beyond reasonable doubt a game largely based on nostalgia, but at the same time is honest and well made.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 7, 2014
    A perfect blend of the old and the new, which shows that archaic gameplay can still be lots of fun. [Issue #239]