• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Jan 23, 2014
7.2

1. Jan 25, 2014
    I started playing this and could not stop. I only paused to write this review and then I'm getting right back into it again.

This game is retro done right - no weird art styles to make the game "look" retro, instead they took an old game system and rejuvenated it . The entire game is turn based - in dungeons and overworld. And every step has to be thought about. The fights are brutally
    hard, even on adventurer level. If you don't think about every choice, you're going to die.

The loot is interesting. The battles are fun. The enemies are varied. The overworld has a lot of interesting stuff - exploration pays off, that square of land a few steps away may contain some loose dirt that needs to be dug in, or a hidden shrine to some god tucked away on the side that will give you valuable benefits you may *need* to get past the next fight.

Fights are tough but fair. Magic is interesting. Character/racial choices have a huge effect on gameplay - for example some characters may only be able to get to "novice" on swordplay, whereas someone else may be able to become a grand master. (There are four levels: Novice, expert, master, grandmaster, for every skill.) If you particularly want a grandmaster healer, you better pick the right race AND occupation.

There are a few minor blemishes - movements keys are set up so that WASD, rather than being what most people are probably used to, is Forward/Left/Backward/Right. But as the keys are reconfigurable you can fix this in seconds. Also on the overworld map trees spin in place each time you take a step. Minor stuff indeed.

What you need to know is, this game is FUN. Not because it's retro, but because it's tough but fair and thought is rewarded. It's as if chess and D&D had a beautiful baby.

If you like RPG's or if you like strategy, TRY THIS GAME.

I can't wait to see what the devs do next. I congratulate them for a wonderful first outing and I'm really hoping they do an M&M XI.
  2. Aug 27, 2013
    Hi, I have played all of the Heroes games, the favorite one is 6, partially due to the fact that I had never really gotten into the old universe and its lore. It just looked bizarre to me, with its mix of sci-fi and fantasy and the overall feel. So, from the Might and Magic series I have only played 6, 8 and 9, with 9 being my favorite. I did lay some tile-based RPG such as Eye of Beholder, and others. So to me the main reason for buying this game was the Ashan universe, which I love, and the overall game experience that I thought would be similar to 9. Well, its not really. But that's the good thing. Because this game is awesome.

This game is very brave, I give you respect for trying out such a game in this period of mindless shooters. So thank you devs. At first, it was hard t o me to get into tile-based game like that, but the more I play the more I love it! It has its unique feel and charm to it, so please don't change it to a free roam in out of battle situations. However, I am all for more speedy movements out of battle when holding W for example.

The game is very vivid and colourful. Despite some washed out textures, I think the game looks extremely good. It is a thinking man game. So many possibilities! Skills stats, spells, hirelings. Love all these old-school mechanics. Teamwork Other players made a lot of suggestions lately, and I agree with most of them. But just some points I would like to make:

About reusing Heroes 6/DoC assets: at first, I thought it was a bad idea but in the game it looks really fitting and impressive. So don't worry about that, at least for me, even though I played a lot of heroes 6, it does not seem boring or repetitious.

Overall thank you for making this game, I wish you all the luck and success.

Solid 9.
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    If you liked oldschool M&M games youll like this, if you however expect it to be a complete copy and clone of those games you will be dissapointed as the game is "modernized" to a certain degree (graphics/simpler skill interface)

So far all the mainstream reviewers are critizising the game for "not revolutionizing or doing something new" i can only cringe and how idiotic "professional"
    reviewers can be when they review a game that is suppose to be a throw back to older grid based/turnbased RPGs and complain its not doing something vastly diffrent or copying Skyrim

Im addicted to this game and thinking about playing it everyday, i havent had one mainstream game do that for me yet, so for that i give it a 9
  4. Jan 23, 2014
    This is a fantastic return to form for the classic M&M franchise. This returns to the series roots of turn based, strategic, grid based gameplay. These classic elements enhance strategy over twitch reflexes and promote deep character promotion. Experimentation with party builds and a decent range of skills have been generally missing in the last decade of gaming and its great to see these come back. The fresh and cartoony graphics are rather enjoyable (given a reportedly limited budget) but really help throw the series into this decade. All in all a great game for people who love a serious RPG classic! Expand
  5. Jan 26, 2014
    Playing this for over 30 hours now. Just ender chapter 2.
    After reading some mediocre reviews, I was not expecting such a good game. I really LOVE turn-based, grid-based dungeoncrawler. And this one is no exeption. Could not stop playing this weekend...just small breaks for eating and sleeping. This did not happen to me since Dragon Age: Origins (PC) :)
  6. Jan 26, 2014
    The game is great. Don't listen to what others say that its not free roam but with grid. **** THEM. Hardcore back to the Roots. If you don't like it the game is not for you then but that doesn't means its not great. **** everyone who says otherwise. Oh and don't make a character focused in ranged only, it sucks.
  7. Jan 28, 2014
    MMX is a throwback to the World of Xeen days (Might and Magic 4 and 5) with better graphics. My nostalgic heart goes pitter pat when I play this game. For that alone, I'm giving it a high score. I'm also generally giggly about the old-school controls. For those who never played Might and Magic 7 or earlier probably won't like it quite as much. It's not very intuitive for gamers of today.

Be warned, though. MMX is not forgiving. Expect to die until you get a good sense of what works for the game. There isn't really a "brainlessly button mash" tutorial area.

This game is deliberately nostalgic and retro. Don't expect cutting edge graphics, but do expect a challenging, turn-based rpg experience. Use those potions!
  8. Jan 27, 2014
    I realy like might & magic series. So, for me is this game like a gold. Maybe the graphics and some issues are still there, but this game is realy for hardcore gamers. And I think there is still a good base of this kind of gamers. It's challenging and replayble. So I give 9/10. (10/10 when some official strategy guide will be available - I stil not understand, why this kind of games have not guide available on release, the main hardcore base of players realy need it) Expand
  9. Jan 27, 2014
    This is a great game which is admittedly pretty buggy and poorly optimized right now. If the first games that come to mind when you think of RPGs are Dragon Age and Skyrim, you probably won't enjoy this much. For the rest of us that remember and adore the classics, Might & Magic X is a solid modern take on the older games in the series. I can only hope it does well enough financially so that Ubisoft greenlights future Might & Magic RPGs. Expand
  10. Jan 24, 2014
    Might and Magic X Legacy is purely a game designed and made for fans of the earlier Might and Magic games (I - V), with strong nods to fans of VI - VIII. Even a slight influence from M&MXI can be seen. If "fan of Might and Magic 1-5" does not describe you, you are more than likely NOT the target audience for M&M X, and will likely not enjoy it as much as your usual entertainment. Legacy utilises mechanics and design concepts that are more and more in this day and age, seen by the mainstream as archaic, outdated and unnecessary, such as turn-based combat, grid-based movement, and relatively little wiggle room for difficulty on the harder setting. If any of this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, M&M X is not for you.

If you are a fan of previous Might and Magic titles, there is plenty of nostalgia for you to enjoy here. Despite a clearly limited budget and (probably) very little support from the publisher (though who can really blame them with such a niche title - let's be thankful they made it at all), there is plenty of love and care lavished on M&M X. The creative director is a huge fan of the series, and has made this game with painstaking reference to the previous titles, rather than trying to reboot the series with new graphics and mechanics.

Might and Magic X stays true to its legacy in basically all the important ways. The only things lacking here for a Might and Magic fan are that there are no non-combat skills (the game is completely combat focused - this is not really a negative, they had a fairly low budget, and the publisher was testing the waters), the game is set in the relatively bland fantasy world of Ashan (ala Heroes of Might and Magic V and VI), and it unfortunately requires Uplay to run.

Still, I'm not complaining. After a decade or so, I finally have my hands on some awesome new Might and Magic again. Hopefully sales are strong enough that Ubi is willing to continue the series. Props to you, Ubisoft, for getting this made. For the next installment, give the guys at Limbic a bigger budget and some more creative freedom, and see what they come up with.

TL;DR - If you like the (early) Might and Magic series, you'll like this. If you aren't turned off by low(ish) budget graphics or "archaic" turn-based combat, M&M X is probably worth a try. Would get a 10 if they brought back Alchemy, Enchanting, Shops and Homes with pre-rendered backgrounds, and mah Horseshoes.
  11. Jan 23, 2014
    The game doesn't really live up to it's predecessors, which were made ~10 years ago. Instead of taking the best from MM 1-5 (the grid games) and 6-8 (the 3d games), and obviously discounting 9... we got many of the worst aspects of those games. Normally I wouldn't compare games to others in a review, but the quality of this game really lies somewhere in between MM1 and 2. It's got potential to remake the series, but really does start back at the beginning.

The major problem is a common one these days. Too much focus on graphics, not enough on the game. It will never have the level of story or immersion that World of Xeen had (or the clever mixing of two titles) because of the work needed to add any resources to the game.

The UI also takes away from immersion into the game. Much of it is about as awkward as forcing a recent game to adhere to an old-school grid system (go figure). Small text, slow response on conversations, and many other issues make doing anything a bit of a hassle. It's better than beta, but still has some way to go to truly be an immersive game.

The game itself is fine, and a bit entertaining. I had a hard time deciding between a 6 or 7. But don't expect anything to really draw you in. It's a mish-mash of all old ideas that weren't even all the best ideas of the time.
  12. Jan 24, 2014
    Might and Magic X is a game that no one would have expected. Quite far from Grimrock in terms of gameplay, you'll here a tile based RPG, true to its great ancestors.

Apart from being a great game, Might and Magic X is also a nice tribute to the series, with huge amounts of easter eggs, hidden inside its flourishing world.

If you're nostalgic or in need of a real challenge, this is
    worth your money. Expand
  13. Jan 28, 2014
    What an awesome experience! Ubisoft seems to have listened the fans. The game is long, the gameplay is old-school and THIS IS A Might & Magic.
    We have been waiting for ages to see that, so let's enjoy the fact that they didn't destroy the franchise and took care of us :).
  14. Jan 26, 2014
    As much as I appreciate the effort put into resurrecting M&M franchise, I cannot say this game deserves better than "mediocre" notes. Simply too many corners were cut while developing this game. Fights almost totally lacks strategic planing - those difficult ones just rely on pure luck with block/miss/critical hits. Save/load the game 20 times and you will finally win the big boss fight. Also game is pretty unbalanced and the freedom of party creation is limited by lack of imagination on the developer side and their lackluster decisions - ie. try not to choose a freemage as a member of your party and you are pretty much screwed as she is the only character that can cast spells required to find hidden doors. Want to make some party with shields users - well you can but because of the linear structure of the game if you reach expert level by the end of the Lighthouse quest you cannot train it to the appropriate level because the trainer is in other town which you cannot reach at this stage of the game - so you are screwed with a party that cannot defeat the boss because you were putting your skill points into something you cannot train yet. Well unless you want to save/load it several dozens of times that is. The world is small, how to make it bigger - make the player run back and forth to town for supplies required to rest and to repair broken equipment. Those are just examples of how the game was poorly put together - it has a lot of parts but there was little tough into putting them into an enjoyable experience. Seems like the developers are fine with the game being just "playable". And when after 20 hours of playing you realize that you have to start over because the mechanic is broken and the party you assembled is unable to do something essential - the whole charm and nostalgia the game brought back is replaced with frustration. Expand
  15. Sep 8, 2013
    This game is still in Alpha. It won't be release till next year. I'm only writing this review to tell potential purchasers of this game (which will be released NEXT year) to ignore the reviews so far (especially the low scores).

Anybody who reviews an unreleased game, in Alpha stage yet, needs to be ignored like the plague. After the game comes out, then I'd listen to those reviews.
    Why Metacritic allows reviews long before a game is even released is beyond me. Expand
  16. Jan 23, 2014
    Many reviewers might be having the wrong expectations regarding this game. At US$25, you probably shouldn't be expecting anything particularly amazing in the graphics department.

Admittedly, the graphics are generally sub-par compared to even low-end contemporary games (textures and aspect ratios are a primary culprit), but if you buy this game, you should buy it knowing that it has a
    greater emphasis on gameplay than on graphics, and so far gameplay stays true to the classic MM formula (where "classic" is MM1-5). Step movement makes for a better turn-based experience and strategic planning during battles. It's may not be as "fun" as the later MMs in the series, but it has its own appeal.

Bottom line - get this game if you place more emphasis on careful planning and turn-based battles rather than graphics. It will definitely appeal more to MM fans, and is undoubtedly very buggy in its current state, but the devs are clearly moving in the right direction I think.
  17. Jan 27, 2014
    Might & Magic X is certainly not perfect but I can feel it has been developped by a passionated team, with willingness & respect for the franchise. It was also a good attempt to open the development to the players and the game released is really better than the early access one.
  18. Jan 27, 2014
    If you like challenging (warrior dificulty) old-school cRPG is exactly what you need. I was waiting for game like this few years. Maybe graphics and optymalization isn't great, but mechanics and gameplay is for me great. I highly recommend this M&M X to all rpg gamers.
  19. Jan 24, 2014
    The game is okay. Its as described: an old school RPG. My only real problem is the graphics which are extremely crude. Game looks like it was made in the mid 90's. The fact that it was released as completed with such abysmal graphics is disheartening. I'd hold off a couple of months and buy it during the next steam sale when it'll be about a third of the price.
  20. Dec 4, 2013
    Iam really dissapointed i was a big fan of mm6, mm7 and mm8, the free roaming a world that hasn't been top by any RPG i played since. Dispite of al the grapical steps technologie made. I never expected that the where going to make a other game ever again.So i was very excited about it. But its a grid walk based game that the used in the older versions of the game, so its a total los to me. why the grid walk? i dont get it, some people love there crazy people Expand
  21. Jan 31, 2014
    Finished it few days ago on the warrior difficulty. Great game indeed though i wasn't expecting too much and didn't participate in alpha testing. I was so afraid of being disappointed because of "betrayal" (c) of the earlier games. in the result, turns out, was wrong. Hard to explain why i do like M&M franchise so much (since parts 4 and 5 aka World of Xeen), they're just great and classy and have that nice atmosphere, likeable characters, interesting puzzles and big amount of oldschool exploration, so i'll make a list of the things, which, in my opinion, prevented it from getting a higher score.

Things i didn't like:
    - Restrictions, that make your experience more linear, especially at the first part of the game. Don't mean difficulty of the enemies, i only mean when game prevents you from moving anywhere else than next mainquest or sidequest dungeon, because of the "pirates on the sea", "brigands on the road" or "lack of God-dragon blessing". Don't remember having that amount of restrictions in earlier games

- Lack of content. World is big and well designed, game has like 60 hours of gameplay, but just higher variation of enemies, spells, weapons, conditions etc.would be really nice. I especially miss cursed weapons, traps on the chests, conditions like "petrified", "insane", "drunk" or "eradicated" and magical and regular aging (not telling about "Heartbroken" or "In love", its ok for me to not get my characters into these :) ). Not sure if reputation or alchemy from the later games are needed, didn't like them that much, but having a chance to donate in the temple would also add much to the atmosphere for me. More customisation at the making of the party (i mean character avatars and voices) would be nice. And of course more classes and races - all that good stuff that we did have in the earlier games. upd, I do not understand why Town portal was removed from the game eather. That spell didn't make the game easier (if you cant use it during the fight), just helps to save some time you usually spend on backtracking.

- I know its an ongoing problem, had it in the World of Xeen, but i didnt like ranged weapons in this game as i didnt like or didn't use them that much in m&m 4-5 too. So, it seems for me, that some classes are still more helpful than the others. Not sure about it, yet about to test the completion of the game with only characters like rangers and hunters in the future, but still. Ranged weapons need some buffs.

- Game has a great amount of dungeons and sidequests, but even on the warrior difficulty. if you ll spend enough time visiting them, you'll quickly find out that noone is able to stop your overpowered team anymore. I don't mean the mainquest, but i really was disappointed to not even have an option to visit a dungeon, where packs of dragons will explain me who I am by klling the whole team whith a single blow - so i'll need to expand my strategy, try to find a use for items that i've found earlier and didn't sale. Which brings me to the next point.

- It would be really nice to have a place to store your items (with an amount of properties that aren't useful now, but may help vs. certain enemies, for example by giving higher resists agains their weapons). My horse and backpack weren't enough at later stages. Maybe i'm just too foresighted and greedy, but still.

- I know they'll never come back but i still miss sci-fi elements. Not much of a concern, just design choice, i'm ok with the one they made.

- The most significant: bugs and lack of optimisation. I still hope my graphical adaptor didn't get burned or damaged whlie i was playing this. Loading times are just too long. At some places it starts to freeze or lag. Sometimes music don't seem to stop - sound design is great, but seems obviously bugged. Its just technical issues, but they do harm the overall experience.

But, aside from it, great game, love it so much, and was waiting for it for so long. A big thanks from me to the developers for deliviring that kind of experience. I've bought a deluxe edition and am looking for the next games in the franchise. And yes, i do hope, some of these concerns will be fixed by modes, patches or (*here i sigh*) dlc.
  22. Jan 23, 2014
    This is the story of a game that was supposed to be great but ended up an utter, pitiful mess.

I got MnM X several days after it was offered for Early Access, as I love oldschool first-
    person party RPGs and loved how Legend of Grimrock turned out. The game had many issues, both design-wise and tech-wise and up to a point I actively reported them on forums, etc. and for the most part
    it seemed like the developers listened.

Today the full product was released on Steam and I regret I ever spent my time and money on it. Starting from the top, here's what is very wrong with this game:

Game is completely crippled if you run it on a 32-bit Windows. The developers decided to put a
    cap on texture quality and the best you will get is MEDIUM textures that literally look like Quake 2.

Even with EVERYTHING ELSE maxed out - terrain details, terrain quality, view distance and object detail are set to ULTRA, the game still looks pitiable. The developers obviously lack the most basic knowledge of asset and RAM management and decided to make up for it by simply cutting ambient sounds and higher texture detail from the game when it's run on Win 32-bit.

This alone is absolutely ridiculous, especially as PC setups that can run Crysis 2 maxed out (mine included) will be greeted by this blurry mess just because they run 32-bit. Such programming sloppiness is, to me, simply inexcusable.

Further, the game lacks some very simple and fundamental features such as 16x10 resolution support. The official developer explanation for this is this: "Our team focused is efforts to offer the best game experience and we had to make some choices (converting 2D assets to 16:10 would have required lot more time). You still can play on 16:9."

This is like saying “Well, we know that you didn’t want a handheld vacuum cleaner, but look how comfy it is!” This is also not something that came up in the last minute. I wrote about the lack of 16x10 support back in August 2013 and got pretty much the same response, together with a vague promise that it MAY make it in the full game. Well, it didn’t, much like a Mac release that should have come together with the PC one.

The game is a fine example of technical incompetence on almost every level imaginable. There is horrendous object pop-in even with ‘view distance’ and object detail maxed out. Combine this with the state of textures on 32-bit Win that make Quake 2 look good and you get one of the worst launches by devs that simply lied that they will optimize their game back in September 2013 and obviously cut huge corners while pushing for release.

I wanted to like this game. I was hugely into it, I had such high hopes for it. Sadly, in the end it ended up this clumsy, ugly, broken, incompetent mess full of broken developer promises. I am deeply sorry but I cannot and will not stand for this.

In closing, I recommend that you save your money or simply give it to a developer who is not so incompetent.
  23. Jan 24, 2014
    It is true Might and Magic game we have been waiting for. New mechanics but still the same as old one. It's challenging yet well balanced. I don't really care of graphics, but it nice looking. I strongly recommend it to all MM series fans and those who liked Legend of Grimrock or other turn based RPGs
    Don't think that this game is kinda blockbuster. No, it is pure nostalgia and tactic
  24. Jan 23, 2014
    The grate pleasure of old school!!

This game is hard core old school back from the days of c64 and might and magic 2. Oh how i remember those good old games. This game is for old guys that got all confused and board with Skyrim, and dram of the old days when you did not need to be an experts in clinking and combos and have phd in skills.

So you have 4 heroes in a town and you after
    short walk in the city you are fighting spiders in cave and then you die. This game is ruthless you go and see Cyclops and your first time out in the open and you don't stand a change. In the good old days that happened, we did not do balance in those days.

Oh well back to my enjoyment over this game!!

ps remember to check that you are not using you're on board g card instead of you're dedicated g card
  25. Aug 25, 2013
    Im here to save you time and money... Don't bother with this game.
    Everything great about the previous games has been lost. The pacing is out of control bad, with day shifting happening in mere moments of walking around town. Resting has been destroyed the open world joy is gone because its all turn based grid movement all the time. Classic and iconic Might and magic is completely ruined.

If you have no life and don't like gameplay that is fast and measured by seconds this is the game for you. it will take hours to do the simplest and most boring tasks like walking across the world to get from one group to another.
  26. Jan 28, 2014
    Few words ; A classic old-school first person party based cRPG, with tile-based movement controls, turn based combats, a free-to-explore world area , a deep and rich char development and other elements of the past.

Older gamers that grew up with game series like Might and Magic and Wizardry will enjoy the new part of MnM fore sure! The game will not hold your hand (no quest markers
    etc.) , the exploration is deep and rich, the progress through the world is not linear at all (must visit older areas to clean harder monsters and dungeons yoy left) and has the feeling of "adventure" as you manage to overcome the difficulties (and they are many!) New gamers have a chance to play a really different style of cRPG, although they might need patience to understand the philosophy of this sub-genre.

The game though has its problems, like the terrible online-DRM Uplay, the "heavy" engine and minor details that could make the game a really masterpiece (f.e. the few choices at appearances and voices of your party members), but imo those flaws are not enough to prevent you enjoy a really good game, who like a visitor from the past bring us many gaming hours of a forgotten rpg-genre.
  27. Jan 27, 2014
    Excellent remake in the style of Might and Magic 1 through 5. If you weren't a fan of these early games, you might not enjoy the "grid movement" approach to travel. All in all the game manages to capture the feel of these early games very well, but with very much modern graphics. So far my only gripe is that they are going with the Ashan lore of Might and Magic Heroes 6, rather than the original Scifi/Fantasy mix that made the original games so intriguing. Expand
  28. Ogr
    Jan 23, 2014
    Well, this Videogame is only for people who like retro RPGs, it is very old fashioned und not too comfortable! Graphics are oldschool, but still hungry for hardware. Gameplay is very oldschool, you move and turn in 90° angles and you can't interact with most of the world. What shall I say? It's a classical Might & Magic and if you like games like this you should buy it, it's nice!

I
    would give 7.5, the combat system could be more tactical and complex, but the story is good and it makes fun to level up and loot items. Expand
  29. Jan 29, 2014
    I wrote a review before now I will write the final one. I really tried to like this game. I can not understand why some people are saying its easy. After you finish the lost city (ACT 2) Monster triple in power, while you still are trying to power up, I played on adventure mode (which is the easiest) and was constantly being steamed over by monsters. I even got to the point I cheated and gave my characters over 150 attribute points to spend. This did not help in the least I went to the cursed ruins and dies 5 times in 6 battles. This game is so unbalanced. I am so frustrated because the game had a lot of good qualities. The main problems lies after act 2 when monsters are just too much to handle. The fact that you get flanked in so many areas with no way of getting out makes even more frustrating. Before I ended up throwing my mouse across the room I just decided to uninstall the game. What a shame it had a lot of great possibilities. Maybe they will correct some of the problems in the future. But please before you judge my review play it till you finish the lost city and you will see what I am talking about. Expand
  30. Jan 30, 2014
    Most addicting game I played in a long time. The character development, secrets to find, places to explore, and challenging tactical battles make it fun. Keep in mind this game is based on the old Might and Magic Xeen games mixed with some good things from Might and Magic 7 like skills and trainers. There are a few bugs that still need to be patched, but I didn't come across many except the music getting stuck and a respawn bug with spirit beacon which I just reloaded an older save to fix. So far only happened once to me.

If you like old school Might and Magic this is probably for you. Kids who are looking for a MMORPG, or a Morrowind type game, look somewhere else.
  31. Jan 24, 2014
    Solid graphics and time-tested gameplay with a modern twist. Comparisons to contemporary games miss the point. The developers set out to design a fun game that hooks you with its intricate RPG systems and on that end they succeeded. Nods to the older games in the series are a fun touch, and the tactical variety of the enemies will keep you on your toes and your brain engaged.

Overall, this game satisfies a great sweet spot if you were reared on old-school RPGs - not every game needs to look/play like Witcher 3 to provide fun, entertaining gameplay. Think of this game in the same wheelhouse as the Grimrock series and you won't be disappointed.
  32. Nov 19, 2013
    Perfect old-school RPG gaming, hordes of monsters, nice loot, grid-walking like in classic World of Xeen game. Gonna like it a lot when it will be done.
    There are a few features which I would like to do in another way in interface, and the graphics should be done a bit better (although dungeons look amazing). Many bugs and glitches remain, but I hope they will be wiped out before final
    release.
    P.S.: can anybody explain why they had to destroy the old Enroth/Erathia world and start a new one Ashan? The old was nice, I felt myself there like at home, miss it pretty much.
  33. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is a breath of fresh air in a genre which was dumbed down to appease a wider audience for years.

While the story and certain elements (tile based in-town movement) are keeping this game from pure excellence, the return to its roots makes this game unique in current age and this is a wonderful experience.

Beware: the game is not holding your hand to do anything and tutorial
    is practically non-existent. If you cannot bother with thinking about proper group composition, careful progression and lack of in-game help, this will be a painful experience for you, even on the easy difficulty. Those who are more accustomed to modern "RPG" like Mass Effect or even Dragon Age are in for a bit of a shock.

Nevertheless, it's worth it. The game is rather difficult, but the time you overcome a particularly nasty boss because of proper utilisation of your party skills is a great experience. The game rewards you for spending time upgrading your skills, finding proper equipment, and while the challenge is not always fair, there is rarely an obstacle that you can't overcome with proper planning and execution.

M&M X has small problems with graphics and optimisation for certain rigs, but this shouldn't bother you, because this is absolutely the game to try. It is great that Ubisoft and Limbic took a chance on creating such a game, but it is a wonderful return of a beloved franchise.

Thank You, Ubisoft, and, please, give us more.
  34. Jan 31, 2014
    What initially looked like an low budget embarrassment for the series turned out to surpass all expectations. A great mix of an M&M and Wizardry, this game delivers on all fronts, except for the badly optimised engine and long loading times.

Probably the best "proper" RPG dungeon since the old days of yore.
  35. Aug 29, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Might & Magic series, discovered Legend of Grimrock lately. Must admit that Might & Magic X is a great mix between old school RPG and Heroic Fantasy game! Definitely a good choice for every old school RPG fan.

Definitely happy with the Early Access thing. I'm giving feedbacks to developers on the game, hope they'll take into account the tweaks I've been
    asking for. But if they do we'll have a true RPG. Expand
  36. Jan 30, 2014
    Since Might and Magic 6 I've been a suker for this francise. Although the gameplay is not identical to MM6, it still a masterpiece and still might and magic. Although the contols are stolen from Legend of Grimrock that is the only so far the similarity goes. And love that they brought back the old sound FX library older MM games.
  37. Jan 28, 2014
    Fantastic game. Good replayability, good number of classes, items, spells and attributes. For all fans of nethack, wizardry, mordor, old m&m series must have. Worth for others.
  38. Jan 30, 2014
    As a huge fan of Heroes games, I heard about Might & Magic classic game come back but to be sincere I wasn't really expevting this new instalment in the series as I never played a single episodes of this old-school RPG.
    I bought the game last week and have played to it for hours. This is difficult to explain the feeling and experience this game has provided to me, but it's really fresh
    and unique. This game manages perfectly to bring together exploration, RPG and tactical combats for a deep and challenging adventure you will never forget.
    Great job Ubisoft ; )
  39. Feb 1, 2014
    I have played them all, and I feel that this is the one with the most love from the dev team. There has really gone a lot of thought into this game.
    If this is the new baseline for M&M I am sure the next one is a 10 out of 10.
    They have kept a lot of the old mecanics but changede the way they are implemented so you will feel at home in the univeres even with the new 3D design.
    There are
    room for improvements, and I hope they will listen to the players and make some minor changes in the next release.

If you like D&D you can`t miss this one :)
  40. Feb 2, 2014
    Mediocre.
    The good news is that a lot of annoying tedium seen in the early access is gone - endless spawns, tons of mobs around lighthouse, endless equipment breakage. Now having played the release for a few hours, this game seems mediocre - there are no really good parts to keep me engaged.

Oh, and don't forget the voice acting: "They must've smelled us ... who forgot to take a bath?"
    Over an over and over, ad nauseum, any time the monster indicator turns yellow. After 30-40 times hearing that in different voices, I just turned all "character barks" off Expand
  41. Jan 24, 2014
    No 1980x1200 res or any 16:10 aspect ratio support. Game looks like crap. Unfinished product in alpha testing stage. And if u fan of previous M&M game, you very dissapointed, dont feel any old M&M here. Dont buy it.
  42. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its average game.Sometimes you feel - hey this moment its quite nice but then you see a damaged (with shalow watter) bridge whitch you cant cross cause you dont have right blessing (!?) - autors are here insulting inteligence of players heavily.Next big problem is whole world of ashan or what is called its collorfull boring and ugly - ordinary knights looks like kings or emperors and so on... Best parts of MM was 6 and 7 but this is far from it .. they came from heroes 3 and that was also great game but this comes from heroes 6 and thats also average or even below.. Skill system is weak combat feels too simple.Technically very weak game.Sounds are ok. Expand
  43. Jan 26, 2014
    This game is a HUGE step back from Might and magic 6 which was released 15 years ago.

Moving around is restricted, weapon and armor has no textures, spell books are very poor, you can fight at most 3-4 enemies at the same time, no movement during fighting. Total disappointment.

This is NOT a Might and magic X. This is Legend of Grimrock 2. Don't let the name fool you.
  44. Jan 30, 2014
    The Real Old school game make me feel playing Lands Of Lore !
    Really great old school feeling just the «you can't move when your at engaged at melee» is a bit hard to get used to, but it add some salt to the game challenge.

Issues: it come with way too many bugs :( as often in MM licence since Ubisoft is in charge …
    And even if it old school game it doesn't have to be that bad in
    technical and graphical part Expand
  45. Jan 30, 2014
    This "game" is a complete and utter embarrassment to the Might and Magic legacy. Ridiculous amounts of game breaking bugs, terrible framerate drops for no apparent reason on certain hardware, a paper thin storyline, the most drawn out, long winded, tedious, eye droopingly BORING introduction to any game I have EVER seen.. ever.

Nevermind that if you try to create an original party
    (something that was always oodles of fun in previous M&M games.. the game outright punishes you and can actively PREVENT you from proceeding in the game! Game routinely either outright limits the mobs w/ no respawn or even different areas to go to.

When it's NOT limiting (re-crippling) your options, it's outright slamming you. Turn a corner in an area? Suddenly get smashed by monsters WAY out of your league. Previous MM games? RUN AWAY.. this one? Nope. Screw you, die. You CANNOT disengage or run away from anything.. once you get into combat.. you either win or die. While this might sound amusing.. akin to Dark Souls, at least Dark Souls had SOME pacing to it.. this does not. In the Undercity, I literally discovered the hard way by simply taking the "wrong" tunnel in the SAME map as I was directed to go too... only to get my party 2 shotted by Ravenous Ghouls that were WAY above any level I could have possibly achieved at that point in the game.

Bottom line - This is a turd that will quickly (hopefully) be forgotten.
  46. Feb 2, 2014
    I fully expected to hate this game, but it was saved by some of the best tactical gameplay I've seen in the series, and you have a lot of flexibility to develop your characters in interesting ways. Combat is punishingly hard but not impossible: you really have to use everything at your disposal to get anywhere on the Warrior difficulty.

The bad: Low production values. Ubisoft didn't
    invest much in this game's development, and it shows in the voice acting and optimization. Expect framerate drops on any machine. Don't play it on a 32 bit OS. Story and writing suffer compared to past entries, as well. To me, this is all overshadowed by the meat and potatoes of the gameplay, which scratch an itch I didn't even know was there. Expand
  47. Feb 3, 2014
    The game is great. Game play is amazing. I was a little woried about grid movement but its ok and overall game play make up for that. I like turn based fights. I played once adventurer and once wariror dificulty and both was fine. Only downside is that game could be longer and world bigger I loved epxloring, quests, fights, puzzles, secrets etc, 60 hours is not bad but for a such good game could be doubled. There is no similiar game on market with such a depth and 4 charackters in one party. Grimrock is meh with real time and mouse clicking combat.

Dont look at bad pro reviews they didn't play game at all there are generic same screenshots in every bad review. MMX is true Might and magic succesor.

Just buy it and take week of vacation :)
  48. Jan 30, 2014
    The game is plain ruin. It starts as mediocre nostalgiachewer and then goes downhill. You are given no space to maneuver, to have fun. Most time you're either on the edge of bankruptcy, or, if you play the right way, you have no challenge at all. And I won't even start on what a poor setting Ashan is. I experienced ZERO momets of true interest in plot or environments. The game also looks like it came from around 2000-th but has system requirements like Crysis or something alike. Huge but predictable disappointment. Expand
  49. Apr 19, 2014
    Let me first say that it is good that MMX was developed. It is surely an improvement over the disaster that was MMIX, and it is an honest attempt of reviving the classic gameplay of the series.

My main issues with the game is that it is not properly balanced and that it is relatively short for a Might and Magic RPG. There are too many instances where you have to die again and again in
    order to discover what you need to do and that is a feature of classic games that we should definitely leave in the past. Some spells are completely useless in most occasions and absolutely critical in some point, like the trap-finding spell. There are hardly any traps anywhere and at one point in the game they are downright lethal. Another example is the Searing Rune spell. It is a very useful spell, but if you cast it while the enemy is too far or in melee range then you just end up frying yourself - and often with no way of escape. There is no way to choose where you set it, it just targets itself.

As far as combat is concerned, there is no way to tell how powerful an enemy is before engaging them and after doing so there is no way to escape. A striking example of this are Air Elementals. The Elite type are far more dangerous than any other elite elemental type, regardless of your elemental protection. In fact they are more dangerous to engage than the Air Elemental Lord, supposedly the most powerful Air Elemental around.

Therefore, you often find yourself in a position where you take a wrong step, you die. You open the wrong door, you die. You meet the wrong enemy, you die. This sort of thing can be avoided, without making a game wimpy (Legend of Grimrock is a perfect example of this). In fact, there are quite a few lessons that Limbic could have learned from LoG in order to elevate their game from a classic RPG fan service to a truly outstanding title in its own right.

When all is said and done I enjoyed the game, despite its faults, and look forward to the next installment. Classic RPGs with tactical gameplay can still be a lot of fun and we need more, better titles to make publishers understand that.
  50. Feb 8, 2014
    A surprisingly good sequel to a classic game series, quite unexpected from Ubisoft to be honest. Just don't expect a cutscene-heavy, "cinematic" RPG, MMX is pure gameplay with a very basic story, but a nice balance between open-world exploration and turn-based combat, tons of dungeons, creatures and powerful items to find.

This is one of those games that gets the character progression
    just right - you feel really helpless in the beginning, struggling to kill a bunch of wolves without someone dying, and the game stays difficult until the end (on warrior difficulty), but in the end, once your characters have earned their promotions and have got grandmaster ranks, they finally begin to feel powerful, annihilating hordes of monsters with a few spells, which feels really satisfying.

One thing that I didn't like about the combat mechanics is that once you enter melee range there is no way to move around, and no way whatsoever to escape from a bad encounter. Because there is a lot of exploration involved, and because even the starting area contains some creatures that are unbeatable until much later, this results in frequent save/load abuse. Scripted "trapped" chests or doors that cause enemies to spawn behind your back are also quite lame for the same reason, thankfully there are not too many of those.
  51. Jan 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played the last Might and Magic game about 10 years ago. I played parts from V to IX, and really played them, probably for months. Games then were not like they are now, you had to write little things down in order to remember them later, like "Where can I train master of Earth magic skill". I didn't have internet back then and games were much harder and more exciting just because you had to put some effort and didn't have this "instant knowledge" we all have access to now.
    My long and boring introduction is meant to say: I like this game. Reminds me of a better time for games. It is old school by all means, it has a grid-turn-based movement and combat system like some older parts in the series had. The production values are not up-to par with the current standards, but the game definitely has charm and I was eager to come from work to play it (30 years old now). Dungeons are a contrast to some of the outdoor scenery, it seems the authors put a lot more effort designing those. They are quite beautiful at times and their design and layout is different in almost every one, which I particularly liked (its not "you've seen one cave, you seen them all").
    Combat is a bit repetitive, but somehow, still engaging and satisfying. The atmosphere in some dungeons is quite spooky which really adds to the enjoyment. There is also all sorts of old school puzzles (pressure plates, switches...), secret walls, secret rooms and such. Also, this is the first game in a long time I was actually interested in reading quest notes, books I found, listened to lore from NPC's, so I can say the quests were quite interesting and most importantly, you have to do them without map markers and quest arrows.
    Finally, I would really recommend this game to anyone willing to play a solid, charming, quite old-school RPG. If you are very young, you will perhaps feel some of the magic of the old, and if you are an old school gamer... well, you will have a strong, pleasant nostalgia feeling all the way to the end game screen.
  52. Mar 7, 2014
    There is nothing I can say that would do this game justice. It is amazing in every respect - a true love letter to rpg veterans of days long past. It hearkens back to the glory days of western computer role-playing, and does so with a fresh coat of paint and much needed gameplay tweaks that make this the most accessible game in the series to date. If you are a fan of old-school computer role-playing that doesn't hold your hand, purchase this game now. It is worthy of the Might and Magic brand in every way. Expand
  53. Jan 30, 2014
    The release of M&M X was quite a surprise for me. I wasn't following any news about it even though I consider myself a big fan of the series (especially M&M 6). After getting some info about the game I got really excited about it. Moder remake of old-scool RPG - yes please!

The beginings weren't very impressive. Character creation system seemed unimaginative and available classes look
    very imbalanced when it comes to what each of them can offer.
    After creating my first group of adventurers I was ready for some action.

First things that struck me were graphics and movement. Graphics do feel oldschool but I'm not sure if that is a good thing. Movement is just so oldschool that it is a big step back compared to M&M 6 - released almost 16 years ago... There is absolutely zero freedom about moving around - we can only follow square tiles - yep, squares, not even hexagons! It makes even simplest chores as running around town frustrating experience and it takes at least a couple of hours to get used to it.

Difficulty is also worh mentioning. Playing on warrior - more difficult mode - the only challange is to create a good party of characters. Playing the game for ~15 hrs I can only tell that physical damage dealers are mostly wasted character slots and while my first group of mixed classes was having lots of trouble with some enemies, my second group - full of casters - was just destroying everyone. Hint: instead of heavy armored tank you might want to choose a mage with a set of defensive spells.

Combat is another step back from M&M6. Most of the time we fight less than 4 enemies at the time. Real time combat is gone. Whenever we get engaged i melee combat we can't move... The list goes on and on so the fact remains - seemingly simple combat that M&M series would offer us got simplified even further making it less enjoyable, more random and basically - worse.

Don't get me wrong - the game can be quite fun at times. But I couldn't stop the feeling that I would have much more fun playing M&M 6 one more time.

At this point I would rate the game around 6 or 7, simply because after some time you kinda get used to all those frustrating mechanics and you can focus on having fun BUT:

After about 15 hours played the game crashed. Ok, happened before, no big deal. After launching the game again I realised ALL of my saved games were gone. Boom! Game over, play again?

No, thanks.
  54. Jan 31, 2014
    Surprisingly good. Especially if you were a fan of the earlier versions. The grid system does make the game seem a little clunky in the beginning, but that's something you get used to. The game play is good and sometimes a little unforgiving. The many different races/classes also mean there are many ways to play the game (some easier than others). The only one 'bad' thing which I don't really like about the game mechanic is that your party cannot disengage (i.e. move away from an enemy) once they are in a grid next to you. Nonetheless, I would rate it pretty highly and good old school rpg fun. Expand
  55. Feb 9, 2014
    This game is controversial for many fans, but I really enjoyed it and certainly would recommend you to play it. Let me tell you why: Positives It is classical dungeon crawler There are many nice references to older games The story is interesting with nice ending Classical RPG style of skills Lot of lore, especially books Tactical combat Negatives: Uplay - unnecessary DRM
    un-optimized game engine (Unity)
    16:10 resolution are not supported
    as of 9.2.2014 there is many of un-repaired bugs
    there is still need for some balancing
    it is smaller game than previous titles
    only some dialogs are dubbed
    not all quests are accessible in single play-through
    smaller number of skills and spells than previous titles (MM6-8)
    game lacks in auto-gathering information - like teachers, or where key characters are.
    share inventory for all characters (very small)
    You can have only 2 NPCs accompanying your part (quest NPC counts into that limit)
    You can´t escape fight, you have to reload.
    You won´t get full manual with game
    To consider:
    Game is square movement type in style of dungeon master
    Game is set in Ashan world.
  56. Jan 31, 2014
    I was lulled in by the reviews... Namely one that said it was a rough start, but gets great. First dungeon, you get poisoned. This is awesome, because it is persistent and you cannot counter it yet, which you sort of figure out by resting multiple times and it not going away. Of course, this is not communicated, but a quick Google shows that you have to run back to the temple to heal... just like Diseases. So two labels for the same game mechanic; apparently we have learned nothing in 20+ years of game design. Now that you are poisoned, after defeating one spider, you run back to temple and pay to be cured. This repeats, because spiders are poisonous and you can do nothing about it. Finally, the first boss, which requires every potion you have, leaves all of your party poisoned. You try to make it back to temple, but then realize that you get limited rests. So you die. In the city. After the first dungeon. On normal. With the default party. Within one hour of gameplay. This is not nostalgic gaming; it is poor game design. They used something great as a template and did not innovate. So if immediate difficulty and lack of knowledge transfer is what you are interested in, spend the $25 and get ready for hours of what some might label frustration, but you apparently call 'fun.' Expand
  57. Feb 24, 2014
    This would be a masterfully created oldschool RPG that brings the old days of M&M series to it's full glory. Pure retro gaming with beautiful modern overlay. Nice visuals and hand-drawn pictures, catchy gameplay and storyline, engaging character development, challenging tactical combat, it's all there. You can clearly see this game has been created with love and respect for the original series and when it worked I had a great time that lasted for about 60 hours of gampeplay...

BUT... they rushed the release! Not sure if the devs or publisher is to blame, but this is unacceptable. Legacy is massively infested with game breaking bugs that it's almost unplayable in places. Graphic glitches, low-res or missing textures, stuttering, really badly optimized engine causing overheating of the GPU, audio problems, quest errors, missing crucial quest items, crashes to desktop, corrupt saves, completely missing quest tokens in journal, unfinished cinematics, missing voice-overs, even ending of the game resulted in a crash and the final boss didn't even bother to show up. This is the worst case of the buggy disaster I have ever played and it just saddens me that it must have happened with such a beautiful game in it's core. It almost feels like you're playing a beta and you're paying the full price for this game to be their beta tester.

This could have been easily 10/10 piece and I just love the heart of this game, the atmosphere and the experience when it works, I even love the nice deluxe packaging with cloth map and all the goodies, this could have been really something, but the overall experience has been so damaged by bugs, that I am being extremely generous by giving this 8. When they patch everything and fix all the bugs (and I hope they will eventually), this will be the full score. For now - 8/10
  58. Jan 27, 2014
    This game is a huge step back from the former glory of what Might and Magic once was. 3DO made a wonderful game, and Might & Magic 6 was perfect to me. I've played every Might & Magic from 1 to 9, and this game just ruined the entire thing. I can't say I'm surprised because it's Ubisoft, but wow, this was a step backwards. It really hurts to see what Ubisoft is going to do with this game, and ruin it just like they do with all their other franchises. Expand
  59. Feb 5, 2014
    This game at first seems weak, your party is weak, your pocket of gold is weak, your skills are weak. The voice overs are weak. The more I played the better the game became. The voice overs do not get better and the graphics are of a dated style. But it does recall might and magic world of xeen. The movement is grid-based and combat is turn-based. Many might be turned off by that but old-school gamers may find it refreshing and nostalgic. The full release of the game is much improved over the early release version. The combat in the game relies heavily on planning for the types of mobs you fight and even using the environment to lure enemies around corners. You can easily run into areas where the mobs are far stronger then your party and you will have to seek the right path to get stronger. The only complaints I have so far is that I do wish the story was stronger and the spell graphics where better. Add that voice overs could be more varied. Other then that so far I have truly enjoyed the game so far. I will agree with some of the negative comments that the game could be better optimized and there are some bugs that need work. As of the time of my review the developers have commented they are aware of them and are working on it. Despite its flaws, the price of the game plus what I have seen so far makes MM legacy a worthwhile game. I hope that Ubisoft will continue with the series and bring us more. Expand
  60. Feb 19, 2014
    When I finally decided to buy this game, I was a little bit wary having read a lot of mixed critics and user reviews. I believe Might & Magic X is a great game (considering also its low budget), and a worthy successor to the older ones of the series. The gameplay still remains very addictive, true to its roots and personally, I find the graphics pretty good considering that high - end visual results is not something you are looking for in a game like this. If you are a fan of the Might & Magic universe (or the good old turn-based RPGs) you really have to try this one. If not... this is your chance people! This game is really worth it! ;) Expand
  61. Feb 18, 2014
    Do not buy this game if you are expecting might and magic game. This grid based game has no movement during combat system and is trash. Legend of Grimrock at least lets you move during grid based combat where this game doesn't even have the ability to do that. This is a 2$ game at best. If you want to see how bad they trashed this beloved franchise, wait until its 2$ so your not as disappointed as the rest of us who were unfortunate enough to have purchased this game at full price.

The best part about this game is it came with might and magic 6 and I no longer had my copy of that awesome game so its not a 100% loss.
  62. Feb 23, 2014
    Really hooked to this game. Played M&M from IV to VI and then took a break until this one an I'm enjoying it a lot. 15 hours played and no bugs for now. If you're missing an old style RPG I bet you like it.
  63. Jan 29, 2014
    MMX is fun for sure, but it could be much better. I keep to hit points int he game where it feels like the developers just tought for themselves: "Welp, that's not good but it will do it."

Making the game just medicore overall.
  64. Feb 13, 2014
    Once I figured out how to crank up the graphics (there is currently a bug which forces you to do it from the title menu rather than in game), M&M X became quite a beautiful game. I grew up playing the early titles in the series, starting with the very first.

Make no mistake, this game is a throwback to those days and compares quite favorably to M&M VI (arguably the best in the series).
    I would like to see more enemy variety, but so far the developer has been churning out little blurbs of content on a pretty regular basis, so I am not too worried.

Even on the default setting, this game does not hold your hand and you can be prepared for some tough and interesting battles. Like the RPGs of yore, it is quite possible to wander into a group of foes you simply can't handle early on in the game.

This is worth a look if you are a fan of oldschool CRPGs or simply wish to try something "new".
  65. Feb 6, 2014
    Well this game is worse than MM 7 and 6, but way better than 9. What i don't understand is change of controls to oldest Might and Magics. This game is OK, but Legend of Grimrock was way better Dungeon Crawler. What pisses me off a bit is graphics. I know Might and Magic always had bad graphics, but why this could-not be different. This game looks worse than Dark messiah of Might and Magic (8 years old game from same company). The other problem is hard imbalanced classes and magic schools. But the game is really fun so i can ignore all these flaws, but this is not a game for everyone and even som Might and Magic fans will be disappointed. Expand
  66. Jan 25, 2014
    M&MX is the perfect game for people who are getting old and want to feel younger again. You know, those people in their 30/40s that **** about everything being better in the old days, mainly because they hate themselves for what they have become...

Personally, I'm on the fence about this one. I came into PC gaming with Might & Magic IV: The Mandate of Heaven, which was basically a new
    starting point for the Might & Magic series. It was a fantastic game, with a huge open world, tons of loot, and huge amounts of enemies. Eventually the series would crash hard with Might & Magic IX, which was basically a bug-infested travesty. A shame, and when the news came out that Might & Magic would return for a tenth instalment, I was very, VERY happy. I mean, with all the technical possibilities we have today, and the series it was based upon, it HAD to be a great game right?

Well...not really.

Sadly M&MX isn't based on the fantastic sixth/seventh/eight instalments of the series, but rather on the ancient first five. Great games in itself, but gaming has moved on, and not for nothing. Of course, it is "hip" to go "old school", yet now we have a game that only sad, stuck in their ways men (no woman will play this, EVER) will love. The rest might like it, but most will give it a pass.

My main beef with this game is that they went back to turn-based grit movement/combat. This makes the entire game feel very sluggish and slow, less open world, and, especially, very old. I used to love it when I could just run around a map full of enemies, pelting away arrows and spells at a huge group of enemies. It was one of the best parts of the newer older games (VI to IX). In M&M X, you have to move grit by grit and wait until the enemy is within range for some slow turn-based combat. Don't get me wrong, the combat works, but it's not much fun when you have to do it against every single enemy. But I guess it's one way to make a 20 hour game last over 50...

Graphics are a bit dodgy for 2014, but the M&M series was never a graphic marvel so it's easily overlooked. They work, let's just keep it at that.

Sound is solid, with some epic music that hits the spot.

Gameplay is OK, if you don't mind very slow turn-based fights. You need to use your smarts, especially in the beginning of the game, and that might put some people right off. The lack of "modern" implementations like fast travel or town portals is another thing that will make a lot of people leave this game alone. You have to walk, in turned based fashion no less, over the entire map to cities, if you need to buy a rations/potions/level skills. It's a chore, one that should have been lightened by including a town portal spell (even if it was on a CD).

Still, the game is fun in it's own way. You get a real feeling of accomplishment when your piss-poor party slowly turns into a lean mean slaughtering machine when you level them the right way and pimp them out with the right kind of equipment. There is loot is a-plenty, and even though it is never spectacular (even artifacts, sort of unique items, won't blow your mind) it is a joy to sell off big amounts of stuff you don't need to buy equipment you do, or to find stuff you can actually use (take that Diablo 3...). Also there is plenty to discover, in a big more or less open world. It's RPG heaven really.

This game would have gotten a solid 9 from me, if they wouldn't have walked the trendy "old school" line. It's aged and therefore bothersome gameplay (turn-based movement in a grit, no quick ways to travel), sadly takes a lot of fun out of the game. It might be great for old farts who like to complain on the internet about "how great games used to be", but for more modern or casual gamers, it can be off putting. And that's a shame. Oh well, better next time!

67. Feb 11, 2014
    A solid budget game that dips back into the well of nostalgia, Might and Magic X: Legacy is a worthwhile game for any fan of the M&M series, particularly the grid-based Xeen games. At launch, this is a full game for one price (no absurd DLC or micro-transactions) and the game seems mod-friendly, so there is potential for future growth. At a time when developers have abandoned the RPG community, Might and Magic X fills a void in desperate need of filling. Expand
  68. Feb 11, 2014
    The 10 that I am scoring this is in relation to what this game tries to to and I've avoided comparing it to other modern RPGs as it really is a different kind of game.

This game certainly isn't for everyone but it isn't just for old school rpg fans either. While the game will be a solid nostalgia rush for any fans of the early M&M and 90's Western RPGs, it still stands on its own feet
    well and doesn't need that nostalgia to be an enjoyable title.

If you haven't played a game like it before then the grid based movement and the first person turn based combat will be quite jarring but trust me, after a few hours of playing it'll become second nature and you'll be loving it. It's a title that does take a bit of getting into to, and it's pretty difficult [the first boss on the lower difficulty is quite likely to kill you and the game isn't forgiving about it] but if you're an rpg fan then I'd highly recommend this.

I'm also incredibly excited to see this type of game making a return in some form, so here's to hoping that M&M XI followins in the footsteps of M&M6-8!!
  69. Feb 9, 2014
    Great game. Downloaded it simultaneously with Dota 2 Chinese New Year event. Then M&M X pulled me in so much, i haven't played a single game of Dota ((((
  70. Jan 29, 2014
    Absolutely dreadful! Stay 100 yards away from this game. If this is the "Legacy", then it one that should silently die out. First the controls are abysmal. There is nothing intuitive about moving around in the game at all. The game play? I felt like I wasn't there. Like I think I'm moving, but? Horrible feedback. Horrible graphics. Forget the 90's it's more like the 80's graphics and even horrible for then.

And then they tell you a bunch of stuff is turned off unless you play under a 64bit OS?
    Where did all this 64bit'ness go? How can this game take so much memory to do what other games did 100x better with just 256mb or less??

Anyone that gives this a good review must be completely lost in delusional nostalgia and not in present time.
    There is 1000 old games I'd rather play again over this junk.
  71. Feb 10, 2014
    This title offers a great step back in time, and should delight all players of retro turn based rpgs like Ultimas 1-6 (and ofc MM3-5), and TB modes of Baldurs Gate, Disciples and even X-Com. The core of the game is tactical combat with many strategic options, and in fact it plays like a combination of the HoMM series with Ultima series.

Rather than major on the FPS, Action roleplays
    that saturate the market, here is an elegant updating of the oldschool turn-based interface.

The automapping is serene because you can turn and move either in-map, or in 3d. The options for combat are hotbarred, and very extensive.

The square grid allows you to retrace and check that all areas have been explored, and also keeps track of shops and trainers in a very economical way. Yes it might feel a bit clunky, but in the mind the action flows sequentially, if you can get over the turn based idiom.

There are some minor niggles as listed elsewhere - the potions resetting to the best and overwriting the lesser potions on the hotbar is currently annoying me, but this is really a wholesome retro experience, the likes of which have been absent for 5 years. Like buses they come in twos and Blackguards launched right over the top of it.

Do yourself a favour though - rather than debating which is slightly better or cheaper, get both, and play them for the next 5 years until they next revisit the old school.

Ignore the guys reviewing this as a modern fps action roleplay - do yourself a favour and get (back) into what retro rpgs were all about....
  72. Jul 20, 2014
    I finished it with about 60h in 10days . Do almost all quest. Its great game. i play all heroes games , and MM 6,7,8,9 few times each. Its best of Might Magic game. Many hard quest, many riddles, many good fights, nice story. Even graphic is beautiful and climatic. Many skills ( could be more though) many npc you can take with you. It was very stable for me ( 3 ctd during all that 60 h) . I recommended that game to all who like hard good RPG. Expand
  73. Aug 3, 2014
    one of the most buggy uninspired poorly balanced games I have ever played. If you like old school dungeon crawlers everyone is better off replay some of the classic instead of this save reload one shot madness that is unplayable with a lot of party configurations period
  74. Jul 6, 2014
    If you like turn-based old school RPG's, I recommend you to stop reading, buy and play it.
    Low price for lot of hours of hardcore dungeon sex, just go for it!
  75. Jan 28, 2014
    First of all: The square based movement is a complete pain in the a**. Something they should have let buried back in the 80's. When the free movement was introduced in Mandate of Heaven, it was absolutely stunning and the square movement became obsolete. OUTDATED. REDUNDANT. It stinks.

The graphics are pretty decent, nothing to complain here. BUT it brings my graphics card to new heat
    records. If it would be summer, i would probably die because of heat stroke. Or my graphics card before me. Now, it's just lowering my heating costs... but i dont think thats a plus for a game.
    Furthermore, i have RIDICULOUS slowdowns when moving from square to square in some areas of the game, and thats, although i thought it's hardly possible, making the square movement even worse.

The tile world map is confusing and i felt completely lost way too often. With no quest markers, you just explore the map, find enemies that are too hard, explore elsewhere, get raped with a one-hit-kill by even harder enemies, explore, cant walk over water, searching, searching, searching, oh whats is that *PEWPEWPEW* DEAD, ok now what... f*** this game!!!!!! click on the quit button and write an angry review.
  76. Sep 3, 2014
    Started of ok but after a while I simply reached a point where I couldn't progress any further because the enemies were either to difficult or there were to many of them. I got surrounded by mobs of dozen "elite" enemies or so. Some of them like the ghouls do so much damage they can barely be handled and they all have huge amounts of health.. The game has horrible balancing issues. In addition add that you can rest only limited amounts of times until you run out of supplies which you buy in taverns, there is very few health potions you can buy, equipment stores rarely have anything worth buying and the little good stuff they do have is ridiculously expensive you have to spend all your money. You have a locked quick-bar unlike other rpg's meaning you run out of space for placing spells, potions, etc. There is no fast travel making going back to towns for resupply a chore and huge time waster, enemies don't respawn so there is no point in walking back to town. Character creation is very disappointing as well. You have two portraits and two voice templates to choose from per gender and thats it. There aren't that many classes to choose from either, 3 for each of the 4 races, classes aren't that good either. I am quite disappointed by this game. Expand
  77. Feb 28, 2014
    Hadn't played a grid-movement-based game since M&M 5, so wasn't sure how hard it would be to get used to it again, or how annoying it would be. In fact it hasn't been annoying at all, and I think might actually be desirable in a game like this. Overall, it's the most addicting RPG I've played in years, I wish it was a longer game. Main downsides, I think, are the inability to move while in combat, and also some simplification of things compared to previous M&M titles (though I think in this case it was due to budget, not the intentional console-ization/dumbing-down that you see in most other games these ys). Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2014
    A fantastic and worthy sequel to the M&M franchise. A very addictive game; I couldn't stop playing it. I dislike some of its design decisions, like limiting some schools to certain races--which doesnt make sense and limits party building because other races/classes are then favored over another. But overall its a very solid game! Highly recommended.

Fights are brutal but very rewarding.
    Those new to the franchise or new to strategy games should spend time learning how to create a good party--otherwise you will be punished! Expand
  79. Aug 20, 2014
    It's not as good as Might and Magic VI at the time. The reason I say that is there is no substitute from being able to walk around anywhere in any direction at any time. Just like myst went from being a pain in the hind end to a great game with realMyst, Might and Magic went from sublime to just very very good by using the old MM1-5 style movement.

This game can be replayed repeatedly
    due to the huge number of interesting class combinations and class-specific promotion quests.

I highly recommend this game.

Who knows, maybe next time around, if it sells enough, we'll get a spiritual might and magic VI successor.
  80. Feb 17, 2014
    I don't understand the high reviews for this game - I don't think these people have actually played the game through.

This game is not good, its buggy, unbalanced, poorly designed, and just not fun anyway.

Im not sure there's really potential in a turn based game like this though. The combat strategy would have to continually evolve and change as the game progresses for it to be
    interesting for the whole game. What ends up happening is you figure out the basics on how to successfully battle enemies, and then the rest of the game is pretty tedious with very little change to those initial tactics you figure out. a new spell here and there or new equipment do not really change much about the combat other than a small boost here or there. so basically this game gets boring as hell in the last half of it. at least in MM6-8 you could blaze through stuff in the later stages of the game because no turn based combat.

a couple things i did like though:
    - the class system is well designed and *should* give it replayability - only certain classes can grandmaster in certain skills, so class makeup is going to be pretty unique to your playing experience. after beating the game, though, no way in hell i would play this again to try a different class makeup, just too boring.
    - some pretty good puzzles. the combat is really boring, so this is the only real interesting part of the game. there were a few that were roughly comparable with the legend of grimrock puzzles.

if all of the bugs were gone, and the game was more balanced and properly tweaked, better sound, fix load times etc... i'd still only give this game a 6 or so.
  81. Apr 5, 2014
    I´ve been playing this game for three days now, am on 23 hours of gameplay and absolutely love it. Please don´t judge the game by other bad reviews; they tend to compare Might & Magic to the general RPG´s that are being made today. Might & Magic IS a traditional RPG game, where you explore in order to reveal maps and locations, have to be wise about your character creations and where you put your points, since the game is everything else than a mindless hack´n´slash game (which can be fun as well, but are mostly too easy to beat).
    The paste in M&M is slow, the combat turnbased, the loot rare and the game very enjoyable. I spent a lot of time googling, looking for places and clues to riddles.
    It´s a great game, it really is and unfortunately they don´t make a lot of these anymore. It´s one of these games that you can play while enjoying a good bottle of redwine and dive in at your own speed.
  82. Jan 31, 2014
    Might & Magic X - Legacy Concept: A Dungeon crawling old school hack-and-slash RPG set in the Heroes of Might and Magic World. Graphics: ★★★☆☆ Not Skyrim, but for a 3D grid-base dungeon crawler it looks pleasing. Sound: ★★★☆☆ The music is reminiscent of some of the classic Might & Magic titles as well as the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Sound effects are simple and repetitive.

Playability: ★★★★☆
    Easy controls and interface like its predecessors.

Entertainment: ★★★☆☆
    If your familiar with games of the past like the Wizardry series or the Might & Magic games, you will love this title as it takes you down memory lane but for those who are new to these type of games may get bored as the gameplay may get repetitive.

Replay Value: ★★★★☆
    I feel the game has a High replay value especially since your party consists of 4 members and there are a total of 12 possible Classes to mix and match with the 4 races.

Overall Rating: ★★★½☆☆

MY PERSONAL REVIEW

The Game takes place a few years after the events of Might & Magic: Heroes VI. Might & Magic X - Legacy takes place on the Agyn Peninsula. It's a throwback to the hack-and-slash RPGs of old and no knowledge of the past series is required to play it. You can create a Four person party consisting of 4 Races and 12 Classes to select from. While the party size is locked at four, players can pick up additional hirelings to fill specialized needs that give certain buffs or the pack horse that adds a considerable amount of inventory space which I found a must. The classes offer lots of skills and spells to choose from. The individual skills can be ranked up starting at novice and going up to Grandmaster. Some of the spells you get at Grandmaster are devastating but the road to get there is a long one. If you liked the Diablo style loot drops than you’ll like this game as there is a ton of different types of loot. The game adds some puzzle and riddle solving to take away from the constant combat grind. Players can roam towns to find various power ups, coins, and quests that send them out into the wilderness. The game offers about 60+ Hours of play time if you explore every nook and cranny and take the time to read all the Lore it offers. This game is nothing like the Heroes of might & Magic series but if you liked games of the past like the Wizardry or Eye of the Beholder series or even the new Legend of Grimrock than this is the game for you.
  83. Feb 9, 2014
    Figured I'd give some perspective on where my opinion is coming from before I start ripping into this game. I've been playing PC videogames for nearly two decades now, starting off playing games in Dos. And have been playing games on PCs on a regular basis ever since. I can't remember which of the M&M games I've played in the series, I believe 4, 5, and 6, It's been a long time but I remember enjoying those games.

Ok so, I'll start off by pointing out some of the things I actually didn't mind about the game. The character creation and party system was well laid out. I enjoyed creating my team. It was well fleshed out, customization could be improved but I've never been huge on altering every little detail in a character model anyway so no loss there for me.

This game is heavily tile based, and not in a nice way. My main beef here is not that it's tile based, but how poorly done the tile based gameplay is. You can only face four directions, movement feels very mechanical, not natural at all. I just had this intense feeling of the layout being, well, lazy. Within ten minutes of playing it I saw at least a dozen simple fixes that should have been implemented, things that would make the experience more rich and detailed, but instead you're left with a clunky unnatural design and I just couldn't get into it. One of the things I enjoyed about the other M&M games was you really felt like you were part of the game, and with this game that feeling was completely gone.

I could only play it for another hour maybe, and I really tried to like it, but I couldn't. The storyline seemed poorly scripted, and all around I just had this feeling like they could have done a lot better with almost every aspect of the game. It felt rushed, and as I said earlier, just had a feeling of laziness about it. You couldn't even get much of a nostalgia factor out of it, as the graphics seemed like they might have been trying to compete with more recent games, but well, failed. They could have used other styles of graphics that didn't try to do the 3D model rendering, but they went that route instead, and everything is just chunky and unrealistic. I'm not playing a game like this for graphics, don't get me wrong, but ya...

All around I'm really disappointed with this game, and am kind of surprised how many positive reviews it's had.
  84. Apr 12, 2014
    Good game and it's been a while since we had a dungeon crawler might and magic i love the implemention of a hotkey bar, , but there's a lot of stuff in the game than makes it less enjoyable , like for example double DRM , frequent bugs , bad pc optimization , annoying sound effects in towns like high pitched woman giggle every 10seconds , or someone saying "im not on the mood to talk" , lots of people yawning too bad there's no option to just disable town sfx.
    This game is more linear than a dry noodle and the main map is by far the shortest might and magic world , wish they kept the "choose evil or good alignment allies" path from the older games like in mm7 and most of the side missions are uninspired , at one point near the end of the game there's a side mission you must complete in order to progress further into the story , so why not just put it as a main one?.
  85. Aug 7, 2014
    Am fan of M&M series therefore am disgusted what they do to it. If I would be new to it probably would be naive to like it. It is many proofs that part 9 was betrayal to series because it copy Wizardry 8 designs (superior RPG at this time) rather that continue own style. Exactly the same happen here, it looks like Grimrock 2 or something. Am feel like been lied by promise of modern version of World of Xeen. This product is very far from it, am completed WoX and enjoyed it, cant say the same about this thing from many reasons. Its just not M&M anymore, this is fake game as part 9 was.

Well beside fact that game is fake it is RPG which new player may enjoy for few hours, but this is like kiss traitor its disgusting, after realize what you actually playing you may get sick. I don't known what comparison create to illustrate this problem, Its like date with ugly man dressed like your previously girlfriend who pretend to be her in most ridiculous way LOL
  86. Feb 20, 2014
    For nerds only. Have been playing cRPGs for more than 20 years and this is one of the most annoying pieces of gaming software. The game is totally unbalanced and choosing some specific parties can make game totally unplayable. What I particularly lack is the sense of freedom which was present even in the crippled M&M IX. The fights can be really nasty and _too_ heavily depend on the party selection.

If you have plenty of free time it may be a challenge, but if you are gaming from time to time, for fun only, M & M X seems to be a waste of nerves and time.
  87. Feb 22, 2014
    Having played every single Might and Magic game including every one of the Heroes series, I feel pretty qualified to say that this one is UTTER BILGE! I have wasted my money on it but hope others do a bit of research before parting with theirs.
    Graphics are poor, although I can put up with that if gameplay is at least average, which this is NOT. Interface is below average. User
    friendliness, close to nonexistent. Yawn factor=10/10, at least I get to clean my house for once in my life as it's more interesting than playing this game. Expand
  88. Mar 31, 2014
    This game is amazing! It is like Legend of Grimrock but 100 times bigger and better. The combat is the best part, very deep, very tactical, gear, skills, spells, stats galore. It's for an audience who doesn't care about CryEngine but wants challenging and deep combat with lots of depth to the story, the world, the mechanics, etc. This game achieves all that while being accessible to newcomers and while looking and playing good enough (like LoG but better!) to not scare away everyone.

If you are an oldschool gamer who wants more oldschool M&M style goodness, here it is. If you are a modern gamer, get this if you want to try something different to the usual 1 character pew pew pew shooting fire out your hands thing.
  89. May 13, 2014
    To be honest I was totally shocked when I saw the character-making screen. It is not 3D portraits, it is not like the other M&M, it's just cartoons! And very very limited faces to choose from; not to mention, unlike the other M&M, Legacy's faces won't constantly animate, eyes won't roll, and you got will a confusion of shouts and yells with 'obituary photos' of characters.

Next, the
    fighting is now ONLY turn-base, I miss the time when I could run about to shoot and avoid arrows by monsters.

Then and again, I always hated the loots and items in M&M9, because I don't like tiny icons of items. And here we have, not only icons of items, but a 'table' for the baggage~

And if I am not wrong... even M&M6 has a much much open space to move and travel.

And Legacy is not going to have a sci-fiction ending, and worse...

...while I can see attempts on making a beautiful graphical game, I hate the idea of damages popping... and the highlighting of enemies... so childish! So unnatural! Is this 'Pokemon game' for kids?

I am giving a rating of 2 because of the enhance graphics... but the graphical expression is really ridiculous!

And yes... after M&M9, now we have not NPCs to visit but pictures of homes... ... and many many things in Legacy which I think... ain't right. And I miss the streets of M&M9 littered with NPCs~
  90. Jul 19, 2014
    Interesting RPG system. But who balanced hard mode?! "Your mage has 90 hp? Take and handle 204d mg from regular enemy!" Oneshot, with no chance to win.
  91. Sep 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For a veteran PC RPG gamer like myself, this is a refreshing throwback to the days of PC RPGs like the older Might & Magic games or the Eye of the Beholder series. Like those games of yesteryear, you end up playing a party of 4 adventurers who make their way through the world tile by tile and engage in combat turn by turn. The graphics are certainly nothing to write home about, but the addictive gameplay more than makes up for it.

Pros:
    - Challenging yet well balanced gameplay that keeps you on your toes tactically. You're encouraged to think carefully and plan ahead before engaging in combat, particularly with regard to boss fights.
    - The bestiary is a nice touch. This is basically a journal which your party keeps of each monster encountered that lists all its stats like attack bonuses and resistances to various types of magic. The entry on each monster does not have much info to begin with, but as you encounter that particular monster type more often, more stats are revealed. This helps you plan your combat strategy when next you happen to meet that monster type.

Cons:
    - My main gripe is that there seems to be no option to flee from combat. It is all too easy to venture into a dungeon, cave or castle off the beaten path and come face to face with an enemy that can obliterate your entire party in a couple of rounds. A good example of this is when I decided to check out what was described as a "dangerous cave" and found myself facing a huge Cyclops who was a square or two away from my party. I fired a couple of arrows at him and when I found out how much health he seemed to have, I decided to try and flee as the exit was literally right behind me. However the game would not let me exit the cave so I had to fight gamely on for a couple of rounds as he proceeded to beat my party to a pulp. My advice? Be cautious and stick to only entering buildings when you need to for specific quests, or else explore the nearby wilderness for monsters to take on. Steer clear of everything else unless you absolutely cannot. I would have rated the game an 8 had they catered for this.
    - Character customization is very limited. You only have a choice of 4 different races, with 3 different classes unique to each race that focus on combat, magic or a combination of the two. Each race and gender only has a total of two different voices to choose from, and two different character portraits. I really feel the developers could have made more of an effort to include more portraits and voices but I suppose the budget was fairly tight for this title, given that the last Might and Magic title came out years ago and was not a success back then.
  92. Sep 30, 2014
    While I certainly did enjoy this game it did feel flawed and did not quite deliver on the M&M nostalgic 'hit' I was hoping for.

What did I enjoy the most? Probably the character progression and loot, both of these elements were done nicely and I enjoyed experiencing how my character level-up choices and a new skill level or legendary piece of equipment directly improved my character's
    in game combat abilities.
    Things that were limited: the balance was off, i.e. combat became far too easy later on in the game, the grid based system really made the world and whole experience seem overly 'structured' and the quests and story were a bit lack-luster.

A fun game while it lasted but I am happy to have it finished to be able to move onto another game. In my opinion Legend of Grimrock did this grid based 'old-school' style of game much better.
  93. Oct 5, 2014
    While lots of games have claimed to be old-school RPG these days, this is the only old-school RPG that is true to "old-school".
    Really, old-school RPG meant straight-forward story, fun combat and lots of exploration.

While there are some balance issues - like totally overpowered dagger-dual-wielding blademaster and nigh useless archery, the turn-based combat is fun and strategic.

And the main story line is somewhat bland and ends abruptly, it works fine.
    I wish they would publish more of this franchise line. I really do.

7.5/10
  94. Feb 20, 2014

1. May 11, 2014
    Might and Magic X: Legacy is a shamelessly old-school RPG made for us raised on Might and Magic and Eye of Beholder. It's a fine romp even without the nostalgia. The generic setting lacks personality, like some of the quirky aspects of Jon van Caneghem's old Might and Magic games, but solid combat system with spot on difficulty curve makes up for it. Budget production values show on how much some of the assets are recycled throughout, and the fairly short adventure never reaches truly epic proportions, but despite that I'd adventure more in a world like this. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    It is not easy to sum up a game like Might & Magic X: Legacy. It is beyond reasonable doubt a game largely based on nostalgia, but at the same time is honest and well made.
    A perfect blend of the old and the new, which shows that archaic gameplay can still be lots of fun. [Issue #239]