Might & Magic X: Legacy PC

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Jan 23, 2014
7.2

1. Jan 25, 2014
    I started playing this and could not stop. I only paused to write this review and then I'm getting right back into it again.

This game is retro done right - no weird art styles to make the game "look" retro, instead they took an old game system and rejuvenated it . The entire game is turn based - in dungeons and overworld. And every step has to be thought about. The fights are brutally hard, even on adventurer level. If you don't think about every choice, you're going to die.

The loot is interesting. The battles are fun. The enemies are varied. The overworld has a lot of interesting stuff - exploration pays off, that square of land a few steps away may contain some loose dirt that needs to be dug in, or a hidden shrine to some god tucked away on the side that will give you valuable benefits you may *need* to get past the next fight.

Fights are tough but fair. Magic is interesting. Character/racial choices have a huge effect on gameplay - for example some characters may only be able to get to "novice" on swordplay, whereas someone else may be able to become a grand master. (There are four levels: Novice, expert, master, grandmaster, for every skill.) If you particularly want a grandmaster healer, you better pick the right race AND occupation.

There are a few minor blemishes - movements keys are set up so that WASD, rather than being what most people are probably used to, is Forward/Left/Backward/Right. But as the keys are reconfigurable you can fix this in seconds. Also on the overworld map trees spin in place each time you take a step. Minor stuff indeed.

What you need to know is, this game is FUN. Not because it's retro, but because it's tough but fair and thought is rewarded. It's as if chess and D&D had a beautiful baby.

If you like RPG's or if you like strategy, TRY THIS GAME.

I can't wait to see what the devs do next. I congratulate them for a wonderful first outing and I'm really hoping they do an M&M XI.
  2. Jan 31, 2014
    Surprisingly good. Especially if you were a fan of the earlier versions. The grid system does make the game seem a little clunky in the beginning, but that's something you get used to. The game play is good and sometimes a little unforgiving. The many different races/classes also mean there are many ways to play the game (some easier than others). The only one 'bad' thing which I don'tSurprisingly good. Especially if you were a fan of the earlier versions. The grid system does make the game seem a little clunky in the beginning, but that's something you get used to. The game play is good and sometimes a little unforgiving. The many different races/classes also mean there are many ways to play the game (some easier than others). The only one 'bad' thing which I don't really like about the game mechanic is that your party cannot disengage (i.e. move away from an enemy) once they are in a grid next to you. Nonetheless, I would rate it pretty highly and good old school rpg fun. Expand
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    If you liked oldschool M&M games youll like this, if you however expect it to be a complete copy and clone of those games you will be dissapointed as the game is "modernized" to a certain degree (graphics/simpler skill interface)

So far all the mainstream reviewers are critizising the game for "not revolutionizing or doing something new" i can only cringe and how idiotic "professional" reviewers can be when they review a game that is suppose to be a throw back to older grid based/turnbased RPGs and complain its not doing something vastly diffrent or copying Skyrim

Im addicted to this game and thinking about playing it everyday, i havent had one mainstream game do that for me yet, so for that i give it a 9
  4. Jan 31, 2014
    Finished it few days ago on the warrior difficulty. Great game indeed though i wasn't expecting too much and didn't participate in alpha testing. I was so afraid of being disappointed because of "betrayal" (c) of the earlier games. in the result, turns out, was wrong. Hard to explain why i do like M&M franchise so much (since parts 4 and 5 aka World of Xeen), they're just great and classyFinished it few days ago on the warrior difficulty. Great game indeed though i wasn't expecting too much and didn't participate in alpha testing. I was so afraid of being disappointed because of "betrayal" (c) of the earlier games. in the result, turns out, was wrong. Hard to explain why i do like M&M franchise so much (since parts 4 and 5 aka World of Xeen), they're just great and classy and have that nice atmosphere, likeable characters, interesting puzzles and big amount of oldschool exploration, so i'll make a list of the things, which, in my opinion, prevented it from getting a higher score.

Things i didn't like:
    - Restrictions, that make your experience more linear, especially at the first part of the game. Don't mean difficulty of the enemies, i only mean when game prevents you from moving anywhere else than next mainquest or sidequest dungeon, because of the "pirates on the sea", "brigands on the road" or "lack of God-dragon blessing". Don't remember having that amount of restrictions in earlier games

- Lack of content. World is big and well designed, game has like 60 hours of gameplay, but just higher variation of enemies, spells, weapons, conditions etc.would be really nice. I especially miss cursed weapons, traps on the chests, conditions like "petrified", "insane", "drunk" or "eradicated" and magical and regular aging (not telling about "Heartbroken" or "In love", its ok for me to not get my characters into these :) ). Not sure if reputation or alchemy from the later games are needed, didn't like them that much, but having a chance to donate in the temple would also add much to the atmosphere for me. More customisation at the making of the party (i mean character avatars and voices) would be nice. And of course more classes and races - all that good stuff that we did have in the earlier games. upd, I do not understand why Town portal was removed from the game eather. That spell didn't make the game easier (if you cant use it during the fight), just helps to save some time you usually spend on backtracking.

- I know its an ongoing problem, had it in the World of Xeen, but i didnt like ranged weapons in this game as i didnt like or didn't use them that much in m&m 4-5 too. So, it seems for me, that some classes are still more helpful than the others. Not sure about it, yet about to test the completion of the game with only characters like rangers and hunters in the future, but still. Ranged weapons need some buffs.

- Game has a great amount of dungeons and sidequests, but even on the warrior difficulty. if you ll spend enough time visiting them, you'll quickly find out that noone is able to stop your overpowered team anymore. I don't mean the mainquest, but i really was disappointed to not even have an option to visit a dungeon, where packs of dragons will explain me who I am by klling the whole team whith a single blow - so i'll need to expand my strategy, try to find a use for items that i've found earlier and didn't sale. Which brings me to the next point.

- It would be really nice to have a place to store your items (with an amount of properties that aren't useful now, but may help vs. certain enemies, for example by giving higher resists agains their weapons). My horse and backpack weren't enough at later stages. Maybe i'm just too foresighted and greedy, but still.

- I know they'll never come back but i still miss sci-fi elements. Not much of a concern, just design choice, i'm ok with the one they made.

- The most significant: bugs and lack of optimisation. I still hope my graphical adaptor didn't get burned or damaged whlie i was playing this. Loading times are just too long. At some places it starts to freeze or lag. Sometimes music don't seem to stop - sound design is great, but seems obviously bugged. Its just technical issues, but they do harm the overall experience.

But, aside from it, great game, love it so much, and was waiting for it for so long. A big thanks from me to the developers for deliviring that kind of experience. I've bought a deluxe edition and am looking for the next games in the franchise. And yes, i do hope, some of these concerns will be fixed by modes, patches or (*here i sigh*) dlc.
  5. Jan 28, 2014
    MMX is a throwback to the World of Xeen days (Might and Magic 4 and 5) with better graphics. My nostalgic heart goes pitter pat when I play this game. For that alone, I'm giving it a high score. I'm also generally giggly about the old-school controls. For those who never played Might and Magic 7 or earlier probably won't like it quite as much. It's not very intuitive for gamers ofMMX is a throwback to the World of Xeen days (Might and Magic 4 and 5) with better graphics. My nostalgic heart goes pitter pat when I play this game. For that alone, I'm giving it a high score. I'm also generally giggly about the old-school controls. For those who never played Might and Magic 7 or earlier probably won't like it quite as much. It's not very intuitive for gamers of today.

Be warned, though. MMX is not forgiving. Expect to die until you get a good sense of what works for the game. There isn't really a "brainlessly button mash" tutorial area.

This game is deliberately nostalgic and retro. Don't expect cutting edge graphics, but do expect a challenging, turn-based rpg experience. Use those potions!
  6. Jan 27, 2014
    I realy like might & magic series. So, for me is this game like a gold. Maybe the graphics and some issues are still there, but this game is realy for hardcore gamers. And I think there is still a good base of this kind of gamers. It's challenging and replayble. So I give 9/10. (10/10 when some official strategy guide will be available - I stil not understand, why this kind of games haveI realy like might & magic series. So, for me is this game like a gold. Maybe the graphics and some issues are still there, but this game is realy for hardcore gamers. And I think there is still a good base of this kind of gamers. It's challenging and replayble. So I give 9/10. (10/10 when some official strategy guide will be available - I stil not understand, why this kind of games have not guide available on release, the main hardcore base of players realy need it) Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    This is a great game which is admittedly pretty buggy and poorly optimized right now. If the first games that come to mind when you think of RPGs are Dragon Age and Skyrim, you probably won't enjoy this much. For the rest of us that remember and adore the classics, Might & Magic X is a solid modern take on the older games in the series. I can only hope it does well enough financially soThis is a great game which is admittedly pretty buggy and poorly optimized right now. If the first games that come to mind when you think of RPGs are Dragon Age and Skyrim, you probably won't enjoy this much. For the rest of us that remember and adore the classics, Might & Magic X is a solid modern take on the older games in the series. I can only hope it does well enough financially so that Ubisoft greenlights future Might & Magic RPGs. Expand
  8. Jan 28, 2014
    What an awesome experience! Ubisoft seems to have listened the fans. The game is long, the gameplay is old-school and THIS IS A Might & Magic.
    We have been waiting for ages to see that, so let's enjoy the fact that they didn't destroy the franchise and took care of us :).
  9. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is a breath of fresh air in a genre which was dumbed down to appease a wider audience for years.

While the story and certain elements (tile based in-town movement) are keeping this game from pure excellence, the return to its roots makes this game unique in current age and this is a wonderful experience. Beware: the game is not holding your hand to do anything and tutorial

Beware: the game is not holding your hand to do anything and tutorial is practically non-existent. If you cannot bother with thinking about proper group composition, careful progression and lack of in-game help, this will be a painful experience for you, even on the easy difficulty. Those who are more accustomed to modern "RPG" like Mass Effect or even Dragon Age are in for a bit of a shock.

Nevertheless, it's worth it. The game is rather difficult, but the time you overcome a particularly nasty boss because of proper utilisation of your party skills is a great experience. The game rewards you for spending time upgrading your skills, finding proper equipment, and while the challenge is not always fair, there is rarely an obstacle that you can't overcome with proper planning and execution.

M&M X has small problems with graphics and optimisation for certain rigs, but this shouldn't bother you, because this is absolutely the game to try. It is great that Ubisoft and Limbic took a chance on creating such a game, but it is a wonderful return of a beloved franchise.

Thank You, Ubisoft, and, please, give us more.
  10. Jan 31, 2014
    What initially looked like an low budget embarrassment for the series turned out to surpass all expectations. A great mix of an M&M and Wizardry, this game delivers on all fronts, except for the badly optimised engine and long loading times.

Probably the best "proper" RPG dungeon since the old days of yore.
  11. Jan 30, 2014
    Since Might and Magic 6 I've been a suker for this francise. Although the gameplay is not identical to MM6, it still a masterpiece and still might and magic. Although the contols are stolen from Legend of Grimrock that is the only so far the similarity goes. And love that they brought back the old sound FX library older MM games.
  12. Feb 1, 2014
    I have played them all, and I feel that this is the one with the most love from the dev team. There has really gone a lot of thought into this game.
    If this is the new baseline for M&M I am sure the next one is a 10 out of 10.
    They have kept a lot of the old mecanics but changede the way they are implemented so you will feel at home in the univeres even with the new 3D design. There are
    If this is the new baseline for M&M I am sure the next one is a 10 out of 10.
    There are room for improvements, and I hope they will listen to the players and make some minor changes in the next release.

If you like D&D you can`t miss this one :)
  13. Jan 27, 2014
    If you like challenging (warrior dificulty) old-school cRPG is exactly what you need. I was waiting for game like this few years. Maybe graphics and optymalization isn't great, but mechanics and gameplay is for me great. I highly recommend this M&M X to all rpg gamers.
  14. Jan 26, 2014
    Playing this for over 30 hours now. Just ender chapter 2.
    After reading some mediocre reviews, I was not expecting such a good game. I really LOVE turn-based, grid-based dungeoncrawler. And this one is no exeption. Could not stop playing this weekend...just small breaks for eating and sleeping. This did not happen to me since Dragon Age: Origins (PC) :)
  15. Jan 30, 2014
    The Real Old school game make me feel playing Lands Of Lore !
    Really great old school feeling just the «you can't move when your at engaged at melee» is a bit hard to get used to, but it add some salt to the game challenge.
    Issues: it come with way too many bugs :( as often in MM licence since Ubisoft is in charge … And even if it old school game it doesn't have to be that bad in
    The Real Old school game make me feel playing Lands Of Lore !

And even if it old school game it doesn't have to be that bad in technical and graphical part
  16. Feb 2, 2014
    I fully expected to hate this game, but it was saved by some of the best tactical gameplay I've seen in the series, and you have a lot of flexibility to develop your characters in interesting ways. Combat is punishingly hard but not impossible: you really have to use everything at your disposal to get anywhere on the Warrior difficulty.

The bad: Low production values. Ubisoft didn't

The bad: Low production values. Ubisoft didn't invest much in this game's development, and it shows in the voice acting and optimization. Expect framerate drops on any machine. Don't play it on a 32 bit OS. Story and writing suffer compared to past entries, as well. To me, this is all overshadowed by the meat and potatoes of the gameplay, which scratch an itch I didn't even know was there.
  17. Jan 23, 2014
    This is a fantastic return to form for the classic M&M franchise. This returns to the series roots of turn based, strategic, grid based gameplay. These classic elements enhance strategy over twitch reflexes and promote deep character promotion. Experimentation with party builds and a decent range of skills have been generally missing in the last decade of gaming and its great to see theseThis is a fantastic return to form for the classic M&M franchise. This returns to the series roots of turn based, strategic, grid based gameplay. These classic elements enhance strategy over twitch reflexes and promote deep character promotion. Experimentation with party builds and a decent range of skills have been generally missing in the last decade of gaming and its great to see these come back. The fresh and cartoony graphics are rather enjoyable (given a reportedly limited budget) but really help throw the series into this decade. All in all a great game for people who love a serious RPG classic! Expand
  18. Jan 28, 2014
    Few words ; A classic old-school first person party based cRPG, with tile-based movement controls, turn based combats, a free-to-explore world area , a deep and rich char development and other elements of the past.

Older gamers that grew up with game series like Might and Magic and Wizardry will enjoy the new part of MnM fore sure! The game will not hold your hand (no quest markers etc.) , the exploration is deep and rich, the progress through the world is not linear at all (must visit older areas to clean harder monsters and dungeons yoy left) and has the feeling of "adventure" as you manage to overcome the difficulties (and they are many!) New gamers have a chance to play a really different style of cRPG, although they might need patience to understand the philosophy of this sub-genre.

The game though has its problems, like the terrible online-DRM Uplay, the "heavy" engine and minor details that could make the game a really masterpiece (f.e. the few choices at appearances and voices of your party members), but imo those flaws are not enough to prevent you enjoy a really good game, who like a visitor from the past bring us many gaming hours of a forgotten rpg-genre.
  19. Jan 27, 2014
    Excellent remake in the style of Might and Magic 1 through 5. If you weren't a fan of these early games, you might not enjoy the "grid movement" approach to travel. All in all the game manages to capture the feel of these early games very well, but with very much modern graphics. So far my only gripe is that they are going with the Ashan lore of Might and Magic Heroes 6, rather than theExcellent remake in the style of Might and Magic 1 through 5. If you weren't a fan of these early games, you might not enjoy the "grid movement" approach to travel. All in all the game manages to capture the feel of these early games very well, but with very much modern graphics. So far my only gripe is that they are going with the Ashan lore of Might and Magic Heroes 6, rather than the original Scifi/Fantasy mix that made the original games so intriguing. Expand
  20. Jan 30, 2014
    Most addicting game I played in a long time. The character development, secrets to find, places to explore, and challenging tactical battles make it fun. Keep in mind this game is based on the old Might and Magic Xeen games mixed with some good things from Might and Magic 7 like skills and trainers. There are a few bugs that still need to be patched, but I didn't come across many exceptMost addicting game I played in a long time. The character development, secrets to find, places to explore, and challenging tactical battles make it fun. Keep in mind this game is based on the old Might and Magic Xeen games mixed with some good things from Might and Magic 7 like skills and trainers. There are a few bugs that still need to be patched, but I didn't come across many except the music getting stuck and a respawn bug with spirit beacon which I just reloaded an older save to fix. So far only happened once to me.

If you like old school Might and Magic this is probably for you. Kids who are looking for a MMORPG, or a Morrowind type game, look somewhere else.
  21. Jan 23, 2014
    Many reviewers might be having the wrong expectations regarding this game. At US$25, you probably shouldn't be expecting anything particularly amazing in the graphics department.

Admittedly, the graphics are generally sub-par compared to even low-end contemporary games (textures and aspect ratios are a primary culprit), but if you buy this game, you should buy it knowing that it has a greater emphasis on gameplay than on graphics, and so far gameplay stays true to the classic MM formula (where "classic" is MM1-5). Step movement makes for a better turn-based experience and strategic planning during battles. It's may not be as "fun" as the later MMs in the series, but it has its own appeal.

Bottom line - get this game if you place more emphasis on careful planning and turn-based battles rather than graphics. It will definitely appeal more to MM fans, and is undoubtedly very buggy in its current state, but the devs are clearly moving in the right direction I think.
  22. Jan 27, 2014
    Might & Magic X is certainly not perfect but I can feel it has been developped by a passionated team, with willingness & respect for the franchise. It was also a good attempt to open the development to the players and the game released is really better than the early access one.
  23. Jan 24, 2014
    Might and Magic X Legacy is purely a game designed and made for fans of the earlier Might and Magic games (I - V), with strong nods to fans of VI - VIII. Even a slight influence from M&MXI can be seen. If "fan of Might and Magic 1-5" does not describe you, you are more than likely NOT the target audience for M&M X, and will likely not enjoy it as much as your usual entertainment. LegacyMight and Magic X Legacy is purely a game designed and made for fans of the earlier Might and Magic games (I - V), with strong nods to fans of VI - VIII. Even a slight influence from M&MXI can be seen. If "fan of Might and Magic 1-5" does not describe you, you are more than likely NOT the target audience for M&M X, and will likely not enjoy it as much as your usual entertainment. Legacy utilises mechanics and design concepts that are more and more in this day and age, seen by the mainstream as archaic, outdated and unnecessary, such as turn-based combat, grid-based movement, and relatively little wiggle room for difficulty on the harder setting. If any of this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, M&M X is not for you.

If you are a fan of previous Might and Magic titles, there is plenty of nostalgia for you to enjoy here. Despite a clearly limited budget and (probably) very little support from the publisher (though who can really blame them with such a niche title - let's be thankful they made it at all), there is plenty of love and care lavished on M&M X. The creative director is a huge fan of the series, and has made this game with painstaking reference to the previous titles, rather than trying to reboot the series with new graphics and mechanics.

Might and Magic X stays true to its legacy in basically all the important ways. The only things lacking here for a Might and Magic fan are that there are no non-combat skills (the game is completely combat focused - this is not really a negative, they had a fairly low budget, and the publisher was testing the waters), the game is set in the relatively bland fantasy world of Ashan (ala Heroes of Might and Magic V and VI), and it unfortunately requires Uplay to run.

Still, I'm not complaining. After a decade or so, I finally have my hands on some awesome new Might and Magic again. Hopefully sales are strong enough that Ubi is willing to continue the series. Props to you, Ubisoft, for getting this made. For the next installment, give the guys at Limbic a bigger budget and some more creative freedom, and see what they come up with.

TL;DR - If you like the (early) Might and Magic series, you'll like this. If you aren't turned off by low(ish) budget graphics or "archaic" turn-based combat, M&M X is probably worth a try. Would get a 10 if they brought back Alchemy, Enchanting, Shops and Homes with pre-rendered backgrounds, and mah Horseshoes.
  24. Jan 26, 2014
    The game is great. Don't listen to what others say that its not free roam but with grid. **** THEM. Hardcore back to the Roots. If you don't like it the game is not for you then but that doesn't means its not great. **** everyone who says otherwise. Oh and don't make a character focused in ranged only, it sucks.
  25. Jan 30, 2014
    As a huge fan of Heroes games, I heard about Might & Magic classic game come back but to be sincere I wasn't really expevting this new instalment in the series as I never played a single episodes of this old-school RPG.
    I bought the game last week and have played to it for hours. This is difficult to explain the feeling and experience this game has provided to me, but it's really fresh and unique. This game manages perfectly to bring together exploration, RPG and tactical combats for a deep and challenging adventure you will never forget.
    Great job Ubisoft ; )
  26. Feb 8, 2014
    A surprisingly good sequel to a classic game series, quite unexpected from Ubisoft to be honest. Just don't expect a cutscene-heavy, "cinematic" RPG, MMX is pure gameplay with a very basic story, but a nice balance between open-world exploration and turn-based combat, tons of dungeons, creatures and powerful items to find.

This is one of those games that gets the character progression

This is one of those games that gets the character progression just right - you feel really helpless in the beginning, struggling to kill a bunch of wolves without someone dying, and the game stays difficult until the end (on warrior difficulty), but in the end, once your characters have earned their promotions and have got grandmaster ranks, they finally begin to feel powerful, annihilating hordes of monsters with a few spells, which feels really satisfying.

One thing that I didn't like about the combat mechanics is that once you enter melee range there is no way to move around, and no way whatsoever to escape from a bad encounter. Because there is a lot of exploration involved, and because even the starting area contains some creatures that are unbeatable until much later, this results in frequent save/load abuse. Scripted "trapped" chests or doors that cause enemies to spawn behind your back are also quite lame for the same reason, thankfully there are not too many of those.
  27. Jan 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played the last Might and Magic game about 10 years ago. I played parts from V to IX, and really played them, probably for months. Games then were not like they are now, you had to write little things down in order to remember them later, like "Where can I train master of Earth magic skill". I didn't have internet back then and games were much harder and more exciting just because you had to put some effort and didn't have this "instant knowledge" we all have access to now.
    My long and boring introduction is meant to say: I like this game. Reminds me of a better time for games. It is old school by all means, it has a grid-turn-based movement and combat system like some older parts in the series had. The production values are not up-to par with the current standards, but the game definitely has charm and I was eager to come from work to play it (30 years old now). Dungeons are a contrast to some of the outdoor scenery, it seems the authors put a lot more effort designing those. They are quite beautiful at times and their design and layout is different in almost every one, which I particularly liked (its not "you've seen one cave, you seen them all").
    Combat is a bit repetitive, but somehow, still engaging and satisfying. The atmosphere in some dungeons is quite spooky which really adds to the enjoyment. There is also all sorts of old school puzzles (pressure plates, switches...), secret walls, secret rooms and such. Also, this is the first game in a long time I was actually interested in reading quest notes, books I found, listened to lore from NPC's, so I can say the quests were quite interesting and most importantly, you have to do them without map markers and quest arrows.
    Finally, I would really recommend this game to anyone willing to play a solid, charming, quite old-school RPG. If you are very young, you will perhaps feel some of the magic of the old, and if you are an old school gamer... well, you will have a strong, pleasant nostalgia feeling all the way to the end game screen.
  28. Mar 7, 2014
    There is nothing I can say that would do this game justice. It is amazing in every respect - a true love letter to rpg veterans of days long past. It hearkens back to the glory days of western computer role-playing, and does so with a fresh coat of paint and much needed gameplay tweaks that make this the most accessible game in the series to date. If you are a fan of old-school computerThere is nothing I can say that would do this game justice. It is amazing in every respect - a true love letter to rpg veterans of days long past. It hearkens back to the glory days of western computer role-playing, and does so with a fresh coat of paint and much needed gameplay tweaks that make this the most accessible game in the series to date. If you are a fan of old-school computer role-playing that doesn't hold your hand, purchase this game now. It is worthy of the Might and Magic brand in every way. Expand
  29. Feb 9, 2014
    This game is controversial for many fans, but I really enjoyed it and certainly would recommend you to play it. Let me tell you why:
    Positives
    It is classical dungeon crawler There are many nice references to older games The story is interesting with nice ending Classical RPG style of skills Lot of lore, especially books Tactical combat Negatives: Uplay - unnecessary DRM
    Positives
    It is classical dungeon crawler
    There are many nice references to older games
    The story is interesting with nice ending
    Classical RPG style of skills
    Lot of lore, especially books
    Tactical combat
    Negatives:
    Uplay - unnecessary DRM
    un-optimized game engine (Unity)
    16:10 resolution are not supported
    as of 9.2.2014 there is many of un-repaired bugs
    there is still need for some balancing
    it is smaller game than previous titles
    only some dialogs are dubbed
    not all quests are accessible in single play-through
    smaller number of skills and spells than previous titles (MM6-8)
    game lacks in auto-gathering information - like teachers, or where key characters are.
    share inventory for all characters (very small)
    You can have only 2 NPCs accompanying your part (quest NPC counts into that limit)
    You can´t escape fight, you have to reload.
    You won´t get full manual with game
    To consider:
    Game is square movement type in style of dungeon master
    Game is set in Ashan world.
  30. Feb 24, 2014
    This would be a masterfully created oldschool RPG that brings the old days of M&M series to it's full glory. Pure retro gaming with beautiful modern overlay. Nice visuals and hand-drawn pictures, catchy gameplay and storyline, engaging character development, challenging tactical combat, it's all there. You can clearly see this game has been created with love and respect for the originalThis would be a masterfully created oldschool RPG that brings the old days of M&M series to it's full glory. Pure retro gaming with beautiful modern overlay. Nice visuals and hand-drawn pictures, catchy gameplay and storyline, engaging character development, challenging tactical combat, it's all there. You can clearly see this game has been created with love and respect for the original series and when it worked I had a great time that lasted for about 60 hours of gampeplay...

BUT... they rushed the release! Not sure if the devs or publisher is to blame, but this is unacceptable. Legacy is massively infested with game breaking bugs that it's almost unplayable in places. Graphic glitches, low-res or missing textures, stuttering, really badly optimized engine causing overheating of the GPU, audio problems, quest errors, missing crucial quest items, crashes to desktop, corrupt saves, completely missing quest tokens in journal, unfinished cinematics, missing voice-overs, even ending of the game resulted in a crash and the final boss didn't even bother to show up. This is the worst case of the buggy disaster I have ever played and it just saddens me that it must have happened with such a beautiful game in it's core. It almost feels like you're playing a beta and you're paying the full price for this game to be their beta tester.

This could have been easily 10/10 piece and I just love the heart of this game, the atmosphere and the experience when it works, I even love the nice deluxe packaging with cloth map and all the goodies, this could have been really something, but the overall experience has been so damaged by bugs, that I am being extremely generous by giving this 8. When they patch everything and fix all the bugs (and I hope they will eventually), this will be the full score. For now - 8/10
  31. Feb 5, 2014
    This game at first seems weak, your party is weak, your pocket of gold is weak, your skills are weak. The voice overs are weak. The more I played the better the game became. The voice overs do not get better and the graphics are of a dated style. But it does recall might and magic world of xeen. The movement is grid-based and combat is turn-based. Many might be turned off by that butThis game at first seems weak, your party is weak, your pocket of gold is weak, your skills are weak. The voice overs are weak. The more I played the better the game became. The voice overs do not get better and the graphics are of a dated style. But it does recall might and magic world of xeen. The movement is grid-based and combat is turn-based. Many might be turned off by that but old-school gamers may find it refreshing and nostalgic. The full release of the game is much improved over the early release version. The combat in the game relies heavily on planning for the types of mobs you fight and even using the environment to lure enemies around corners. You can easily run into areas where the mobs are far stronger then your party and you will have to seek the right path to get stronger. The only complaints I have so far is that I do wish the story was stronger and the spell graphics where better. Add that voice overs could be more varied. Other then that so far I have truly enjoyed the game so far. I will agree with some of the negative comments that the game could be better optimized and there are some bugs that need work. As of the time of my review the developers have commented they are aware of them and are working on it. Despite its flaws, the price of the game plus what I have seen so far makes MM legacy a worthwhile game. I hope that Ubisoft will continue with the series and bring us more. Expand
  32. Feb 19, 2014
    When I finally decided to buy this game, I was a little bit wary having read a lot of mixed critics and user reviews. I believe Might & Magic X is a great game (considering also its low budget), and a worthy successor to the older ones of the series. The gameplay still remains very addictive, true to its roots and personally, I find the graphics pretty good considering that high - endWhen I finally decided to buy this game, I was a little bit wary having read a lot of mixed critics and user reviews. I believe Might & Magic X is a great game (considering also its low budget), and a worthy successor to the older ones of the series. The gameplay still remains very addictive, true to its roots and personally, I find the graphics pretty good considering that high - end visual results is not something you are looking for in a game like this. If you are a fan of the Might & Magic universe (or the good old turn-based RPGs) you really have to try this one. If not... this is your chance people! This game is really worth it! ;) Expand
  33. Ogr
    Jan 23, 2014
    Well, this Videogame is only for people who like retro RPGs, it is very old fashioned und not too comfortable! Graphics are oldschool, but still hungry for hardware. Gameplay is very oldschool, you move and turn in 90° angles and you can't interact with most of the world. What shall I say? It's a classical Might & Magic and if you like games like this you should buy it, it's nice!

I

I would give 7.5, the combat system could be more tactical and complex, but the story is good and it makes fun to level up and loot items.
  34. Jan 24, 2014
    Might and Magic X is a game that no one would have expected. Quite far from Grimrock in terms of gameplay, you'll here a tile based RPG, true to its great ancestors.

Apart from being a great game, Might and Magic X is also a nice tribute to the series, with huge amounts of easter eggs, hidden inside its flourishing world. If you're nostalgic or in need of a real challenge, this is

If you're nostalgic or in need of a real challenge, this is worth your money.
  35. Feb 3, 2014
    The game is great. Game play is amazing. I was a little woried about grid movement but its ok and overall game play make up for that. I like turn based fights. I played once adventurer and once wariror dificulty and both was fine. Only downside is that game could be longer and world bigger I loved epxloring, quests, fights, puzzles, secrets etc, 60 hours is not bad but for a such good gameThe game is great. Game play is amazing. I was a little woried about grid movement but its ok and overall game play make up for that. I like turn based fights. I played once adventurer and once wariror dificulty and both was fine. Only downside is that game could be longer and world bigger I loved epxloring, quests, fights, puzzles, secrets etc, 60 hours is not bad but for a such good game could be doubled. There is no similiar game on market with such a depth and 4 charackters in one party. Grimrock is meh with real time and mouse clicking combat.

Dont look at bad pro reviews they didn't play game at all there are generic same screenshots in every bad review. MMX is true Might and magic succesor.

Just buy it and take week of vacation :)
  36. Jan 28, 2014
    Fantastic game. Good replayability, good number of classes, items, spells and attributes. For all fans of nethack, wizardry, mordor, old m&m series must have. Worth for others.
  37. Jan 24, 2014
    It is true Might and Magic game we have been waiting for. New mechanics but still the same as old one. It's challenging yet well balanced. I don't really care of graphics, but it nice looking. I strongly recommend it to all MM series fans and those who liked Legend of Grimrock or other turn based RPGs
    Don't think that this game is kinda blockbuster. No, it is pure nostalgia and tactic
  38. Jan 24, 2014
    Solid graphics and time-tested gameplay with a modern twist. Comparisons to contemporary games miss the point. The developers set out to design a fun game that hooks you with its intricate RPG systems and on that end they succeeded. Nods to the older games in the series are a fun touch, and the tactical variety of the enemies will keep you on your toes and your brain engaged.Solid graphics and time-tested gameplay with a modern twist. Comparisons to contemporary games miss the point. The developers set out to design a fun game that hooks you with its intricate RPG systems and on that end they succeeded. Nods to the older games in the series are a fun touch, and the tactical variety of the enemies will keep you on your toes and your brain engaged.

Overall, this game satisfies a great sweet spot if you were reared on old-school RPGs - not every game needs to look/play like Witcher 3 to provide fun, entertaining gameplay. Think of this game in the same wheelhouse as the Grimrock series and you won't be disappointed.
  39. Aug 27, 2013
    Hi, I have played all of the Heroes games, the favorite one is 6, partially due to the fact that I had never really gotten into the old universe and its lore. It just looked bizarre to me, with its mix of sci-fi and fantasy and the overall feel. So, from the Might and Magic series I have only played 6, 8 and 9, with 9 being my favorite. I did lay some tile-based RPG such as Eye ofHi, I have played all of the Heroes games, the favorite one is 6, partially due to the fact that I had never really gotten into the old universe and its lore. It just looked bizarre to me, with its mix of sci-fi and fantasy and the overall feel. So, from the Might and Magic series I have only played 6, 8 and 9, with 9 being my favorite. I did lay some tile-based RPG such as Eye of Beholder, and others. So to me the main reason for buying this game was the Ashan universe, which I love, and the overall game experience that I thought would be similar to 9. Well, its not really. But that's the good thing. Because this game is awesome.

This game is very brave, I give you respect for trying out such a game in this period of mindless shooters. So thank you devs. At first, it was hard t o me to get into tile-based game like that, but the more I play the more I love it! It has its unique feel and charm to it, so please don't change it to a free roam in out of battle situations. However, I am all for more speedy movements out of battle when holding W for example.

The game is very vivid and colourful. Despite some washed out textures, I think the game looks extremely good. It is a thinking man game. So many possibilities! Skills stats, spells, hirelings. Love all these old-school mechanics. Teamwork Other players made a lot of suggestions lately, and I agree with most of them. But just some points I would like to make:

About reusing Heroes 6/DoC assets: at first, I thought it was a bad idea but in the game it looks really fitting and impressive. So don't worry about that, at least for me, even though I played a lot of heroes 6, it does not seem boring or repetitious.

Overall thank you for making this game, I wish you all the luck and success.

Solid 9.
  40. Feb 23, 2014
    Really hooked to this game. Played M&M from IV to VI and then took a break until this one an I'm enjoying it a lot. 15 hours played and no bugs for now. If you're missing an old style RPG I bet you like it.
  41. Feb 13, 2014
    Once I figured out how to crank up the graphics (there is currently a bug which forces you to do it from the title menu rather than in game), M&M X became quite a beautiful game. I grew up playing the early titles in the series, starting with the very first.

Make no mistake, this game is a throwback to those days and compares quite favorably to M&M VI (arguably the best in the series). I would like to see more enemy variety, but so far the developer has been churning out little blurbs of content on a pretty regular basis, so I am not too worried.

Even on the default setting, this game does not hold your hand and you can be prepared for some tough and interesting battles. Like the RPGs of yore, it is quite possible to wander into a group of foes you simply can't handle early on in the game.

This is worth a look if you are a fan of oldschool CRPGs or simply wish to try something "new".
  42. Feb 11, 2014
    A solid budget game that dips back into the well of nostalgia, Might and Magic X: Legacy is a worthwhile game for any fan of the M&M series, particularly the grid-based Xeen games. At launch, this is a full game for one price (no absurd DLC or micro-transactions) and the game seems mod-friendly, so there is potential for future growth. At a time when developers have abandoned the RPGA solid budget game that dips back into the well of nostalgia, Might and Magic X: Legacy is a worthwhile game for any fan of the M&M series, particularly the grid-based Xeen games. At launch, this is a full game for one price (no absurd DLC or micro-transactions) and the game seems mod-friendly, so there is potential for future growth. At a time when developers have abandoned the RPG community, Might and Magic X fills a void in desperate need of filling. Expand
  43. Feb 11, 2014
    The 10 that I am scoring this is in relation to what this game tries to to and I've avoided comparing it to other modern RPGs as it really is a different kind of game.

This game certainly isn't for everyone but it isn't just for old school rpg fans either. While the game will be a solid nostalgia rush for any fans of the early M&M and 90's Western RPGs, it still stands on its own feet well and doesn't need that nostalgia to be an enjoyable title.

If you haven't played a game like it before then the grid based movement and the first person turn based combat will be quite jarring but trust me, after a few hours of playing it'll become second nature and you'll be loving it. It's a title that does take a bit of getting into to, and it's pretty difficult [the first boss on the lower difficulty is quite likely to kill you and the game isn't forgiving about it] but if you're an rpg fan then I'd highly recommend this.

I'm also incredibly excited to see this type of game making a return in some form, so here's to hoping that M&M XI followins in the footsteps of M&M6-8!!
  44. Feb 9, 2014
    Great game. Downloaded it simultaneously with Dota 2 Chinese New Year event. Then M&M X pulled me in so much, i haven't played a single game of Dota ((((
  45. Feb 10, 2014
    This title offers a great step back in time, and should delight all players of retro turn based rpgs like Ultimas 1-6 (and ofc MM3-5), and TB modes of Baldurs Gate, Disciples and even X-Com. The core of the game is tactical combat with many strategic options, and in fact it plays like a combination of the HoMM series with Ultima series.

Rather than major on the FPS, Action roleplays

Rather than major on the FPS, Action roleplays that saturate the market, here is an elegant updating of the oldschool turn-based interface.

The automapping is serene because you can turn and move either in-map, or in 3d. The options for combat are hotbarred, and very extensive.

The square grid allows you to retrace and check that all areas have been explored, and also keeps track of shops and trainers in a very economical way. Yes it might feel a bit clunky, but in the mind the action flows sequentially, if you can get over the turn based idiom.

There are some minor niggles as listed elsewhere - the potions resetting to the best and overwriting the lesser potions on the hotbar is currently annoying me, but this is really a wholesome retro experience, the likes of which have been absent for 5 years. Like buses they come in twos and Blackguards launched right over the top of it.

Do yourself a favour though - rather than debating which is slightly better or cheaper, get both, and play them for the next 5 years until they next revisit the old school.

Ignore the guys reviewing this as a modern fps action roleplay - do yourself a favour and get (back) into what retro rpgs were all about....
  46. Apr 1, 2015
    I have played every one of the Might and Magic RPGs, so when I heard they were making this game, I was very excited. I loved that they allowed consumer interaction for the development, incorporating user contests to add certain features and locations. Being grid based was a real nostalgic throwback to the old days when I first got into computer RPG gaming.

In theory the game was

In theory the game was great. In practice it wasn't quite what I had hoped for. The graphics are good and it does indeed feel much like the classic games that I had missed, but the difficulties of the enemies seemed higher then it should be at parts. But that isn't because they were too hard, it is because the game gave you no direction.

It did very little in leading you to where you needed to be. I am all for open world games, but to be effective in an open world game you still have to have some kind of guidance to know where it is level appropriate to be or at least have the creatures in the world scale to your level. This game doesn't do that. If you aren't careful you will find yourself over-whelmed very quickly.

But if you are looking for a game to play to remind you of the "good old days" or if you are younger wanting to know what you old man's RPG games were like, then this is the game for you.
  47. Jan 23, 2014
    The grate pleasure of old school!!

This game is hard core old school back from the days of c64 and might and magic 2. Oh how i remember those good old games. This game is for old guys that got all confused and board with Skyrim, and dram of the old days when you did not need to be an experts in clinking and combos and have phd in skills. So you have 4 heroes in a town and you after
    The grate pleasure of old school!!

So you have 4 heroes in a town and you after short walk in the city you are fighting spiders in cave and then you die. This game is ruthless you go and see Cyclops and your first time out in the open and you don't stand a change. In the good old days that happened, we did not do balance in those days.

Oh well back to my enjoyment over this game!!

ps remember to check that you are not using you're on board g card instead of you're dedicated g card
  48. Aug 29, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of Heroes of Might & Magic series, discovered Legend of Grimrock lately. Must admit that Might & Magic X is a great mix between old school RPG and Heroic Fantasy game! Definitely a good choice for every old school RPG fan.

Definitely happy with the Early Access thing. I'm giving feedbacks to developers on the game, hope they'll take into account the tweaks I've been asking for. But if they do we'll have a true RPG.
  49. Nov 19, 2013
    Perfect old-school RPG gaming, hordes of monsters, nice loot, grid-walking like in classic World of Xeen game. Gonna like it a lot when it will be done.
    There are a few features which I would like to do in another way in interface, and the graphics should be done a bit better (although dungeons look amazing). Many bugs and glitches remain, but I hope they will be wiped out before final release.
    P.S.: can anybody explain why they had to destroy the old Enroth/Erathia world and start a new one Ashan? The old was nice, I felt myself there like at home, miss it pretty much.
  50. Feb 6, 2014
    Well this game is worse than MM 7 and 6, but way better than 9. What i don't understand is change of controls to oldest Might and Magics. This game is OK, but Legend of Grimrock was way better Dungeon Crawler. What pisses me off a bit is graphics. I know Might and Magic always had bad graphics, but why this could-not be different. This game looks worse than Dark messiah of Might and MagicWell this game is worse than MM 7 and 6, but way better than 9. What i don't understand is change of controls to oldest Might and Magics. This game is OK, but Legend of Grimrock was way better Dungeon Crawler. What pisses me off a bit is graphics. I know Might and Magic always had bad graphics, but why this could-not be different. This game looks worse than Dark messiah of Might and Magic (8 years old game from same company). The other problem is hard imbalanced classes and magic schools. But the game is really fun so i can ignore all these flaws, but this is not a game for everyone and even som Might and Magic fans will be disappointed. Expand
  51. Nov 14, 2015
    If you are also disappointed with the latest releases of AAA games and where the industry is going, this game is really recommendable. Completed the game and going to complete the game again with other classes. Stays true to the Might and Magic universe and plays more like MM4/5 (Xeen) than 6-9. I never liked 6-9 much due to their 'freedom of move' and loved Xeen cause of it movementIf you are also disappointed with the latest releases of AAA games and where the industry is going, this game is really recommendable. Completed the game and going to complete the game again with other classes. Stays true to the Might and Magic universe and plays more like MM4/5 (Xeen) than 6-9. I never liked 6-9 much due to their 'freedom of move' and loved Xeen cause of it movement system. This game has that dungeon crawling movement system back and it plays like a charm. Maybe not a true 10/10 but it's maybe the last decent game from Ubisoft ever and that deserves a good score. If you liked Xeen, don't doubt about picking this game up. Even my father has played this game (he also played Xeen back in the days) and mostly all he is doing is the Sims :) Expand
  52. Jul 20, 2014
    I finished it with about 60h in 10days . Do almost all quest. Its great game. i play all heroes games , and MM 6,7,8,9 few times each. Its best of Might Magic game. Many hard quest, many riddles, many good fights, nice story. Even graphic is beautiful and climatic. Many skills ( could be more though) many npc you can take with you. It was very stable for me ( 3 ctd during all that 60 h) .I finished it with about 60h in 10days . Do almost all quest. Its great game. i play all heroes games , and MM 6,7,8,9 few times each. Its best of Might Magic game. Many hard quest, many riddles, many good fights, nice story. Even graphic is beautiful and climatic. Many skills ( could be more though) many npc you can take with you. It was very stable for me ( 3 ctd during all that 60 h) . I recommended that game to all who like hard good RPG. Expand
  53. Jul 6, 2014
    If you like turn-based old school RPG's, I recommend you to stop reading, buy and play it.
    Low price for lot of hours of hardcore dungeon sex, just go for it!
  54. Feb 28, 2014
    Hadn't played a grid-movement-based game since M&M 5, so wasn't sure how hard it would be to get used to it again, or how annoying it would be. In fact it hasn't been annoying at all, and I think might actually be desirable in a game like this. Overall, it's the most addicting RPG I've played in years, I wish it was a longer game. Main downsides, I think, are the inability to move whileHadn't played a grid-movement-based game since M&M 5, so wasn't sure how hard it would be to get used to it again, or how annoying it would be. In fact it hasn't been annoying at all, and I think might actually be desirable in a game like this. Overall, it's the most addicting RPG I've played in years, I wish it was a longer game. Main downsides, I think, are the inability to move while in combat, and also some simplification of things compared to previous M&M titles (though I think in this case it was due to budget, not the intentional console-ization/dumbing-down that you see in most other games these ys). Expand
  55. Mar 9, 2014
    A fantastic and worthy sequel to the M&M franchise. A very addictive game; I couldn't stop playing it. I dislike some of its design decisions, like limiting some schools to certain races--which doesnt make sense and limits party building because other races/classes are then favored over another. But overall its a very solid game! Highly recommended.

Fights are brutal but very rewarding.

Fights are brutal but very rewarding. Those new to the franchise or new to strategy games should spend time learning how to create a good party--otherwise you will be punished!
  56. Aug 20, 2014
    It's not as good as Might and Magic VI at the time. The reason I say that is there is no substitute from being able to walk around anywhere in any direction at any time. Just like myst went from being a pain in the hind end to a great game with realMyst, Might and Magic went from sublime to just very very good by using the old MM1-5 style movement.

This game can be replayed repeatedly

This game can be replayed repeatedly due to the huge number of interesting class combinations and class-specific promotion quests.

I highly recommend this game.

Who knows, maybe next time around, if it sells enough, we'll get a spiritual might and magic VI successor.
  57. Apr 5, 2014
    I´ve been playing this game for three days now, am on 23 hours of gameplay and absolutely love it. Please don´t judge the game by other bad reviews; they tend to compare Might & Magic to the general RPG´s that are being made today. Might & Magic IS a traditional RPG game, where you explore in order to reveal maps and locations, have to be wise about your character creations and where youI´ve been playing this game for three days now, am on 23 hours of gameplay and absolutely love it. Please don´t judge the game by other bad reviews; they tend to compare Might & Magic to the general RPG´s that are being made today. Might & Magic IS a traditional RPG game, where you explore in order to reveal maps and locations, have to be wise about your character creations and where you put your points, since the game is everything else than a mindless hack´n´slash game (which can be fun as well, but are mostly too easy to beat).
    The paste in M&M is slow, the combat turnbased, the loot rare and the game very enjoyable. I spent a lot of time googling, looking for places and clues to riddles.
    It´s a great game, it really is and unfortunately they don´t make a lot of these anymore. It´s one of these games that you can play while enjoying a good bottle of redwine and dive in at your own speed.
  58. Mar 31, 2014
    This game is amazing! It is like Legend of Grimrock but 100 times bigger and better. The combat is the best part, very deep, very tactical, gear, skills, spells, stats galore. It's for an audience who doesn't care about CryEngine but wants challenging and deep combat with lots of depth to the story, the world, the mechanics, etc. This game achieves all that while being accessible toThis game is amazing! It is like Legend of Grimrock but 100 times bigger and better. The combat is the best part, very deep, very tactical, gear, skills, spells, stats galore. It's for an audience who doesn't care about CryEngine but wants challenging and deep combat with lots of depth to the story, the world, the mechanics, etc. This game achieves all that while being accessible to newcomers and while looking and playing good enough (like LoG but better!) to not scare away everyone.

If you are an oldschool gamer who wants more oldschool M&M style goodness, here it is. If you are a modern gamer, get this if you want to try something different to the usual 1 character pew pew pew shooting fire out your hands thing.
  59. Oct 5, 2014
    While lots of games have claimed to be old-school RPG these days, this is the only old-school RPG that is true to "old-school".
    Really, old-school RPG meant straight-forward story, fun combat and lots of exploration.
    While there are some balance issues - like totally overpowered dagger-dual-wielding blademaster and nigh useless archery, the turn-based combat is fun and strategic.

And the main story line is somewhat bland and ends abruptly, it works fine.
    I wish they would publish more of this franchise line. I really do.

7.5/10
  60. Feb 3, 2014

Just buy it and take week of vacation :)

1. Pelit (Finland)
    May 11, 2014
    Might and Magic X: Legacy is a shamelessly old-school RPG made for us raised on Might and Magic and Eye of Beholder. It's a fine romp even without the nostalgia. The generic setting lacks personality, like some of the quirky aspects of Jon van Caneghem's old Might and Magic games, but solid combat system with spot on difficulty curve makes up for it. Budget production values show on how much some of the assets are recycled throughout, and the fairly short adventure never reaches truly epic proportions, but despite that I'd adventure more in a world like this. [March 2014]
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    It is not easy to sum up a game like Might & Magic X: Legacy. It is beyond reasonable doubt a game largely based on nostalgia, but at the same time is honest and well made.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 7, 2014
    A perfect blend of the old and the new, which shows that archaic gameplay can still be lots of fun. [Issue #239]