7.4

1. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game overMinecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  2. Dec 8, 2011
    A game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire whoA game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire who passive-aggressively abuses people on twitter, takes more vacations then he actually works and abandons the game upon release. Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Minecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft isMinecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft is vastly unfinished upon release. Promises made by Notch, for example, included various game modes like capture the flag, and a fully-functioning NPC village, among others I won't even bother listing. Yes, I play this game. I do like it to some degree, which is why I'm giving it a 4 out of 10. But the reality is that, when you compare it to everything on the market, nay, just compare it to other indie games, and you realize just how hard Notch dropped the ball on this one. The graphics are atrocious, and the term "retro graphics" don't justify it. Chrono Trigger is "retro" and still a beautiful game, so calling something retro to justify it being plain and ugly is awful. The music is serene, but nice. The combat is unvaried and unfortunately dull when it comes to the majority of the game, but the brewing/potion system and enchanting added a little to the game. Shame your only two real weapons are swords and bows.

The strength in Minecraft's programming comes from Jeb and, guess what, people other than Team Mojang. It's the mods and add-ons that aren't from Team Mojang that make this game actually fun and entertaining, and people tend to forget that. If you mod the heck out of it, great, fantastic, good game. But stand-alone it's an incredibly monotonous, uninspired simulator.
  4. Dec 23, 2011
    Game seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with givingGame seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with giving meaningful updates and listening to the community. It takes me 15 minutes to log into MY OWN server due to Minecrafts central server having issues with validation. Anyone else trying to log in has the same problems. The game gets very boring to play by yourself (but once again, good luck getting other players on your server). The end dimension is very pointless and you can tell that there wasn't much effort put into coming up with it, as with most of their other updates...just read the update history and you'll see: Mooshroom cows for example.

Don't buy this and get Terraria instead. You can usually get it for under $3 on Steam (it goes on sale all the time) and it's a much better made (and less buggy) game.
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  6. Nov 24, 2011
    Not delivering seems to be mantra of Mojang, as Minecraft, now in final release, delivers nothing from the better priced (and less expensive) beta-release but at a higher price.

The game, if you can call it that, relies on the user to make their own fun that, while interesting for the first few hours, will quickly become boring and tedious. This can be sometimes overcome with new content supplied by it's large user-base and their custom mods (many of which were designed to fix problems within the game or with it's lack of actual content).

However, if you don't feel like taking your time and finding new mods to try and extend the game's playtime, many of these mods will find their way into actual Mojang official updates.

This product, for better or worse, is more of a "LEGOS on computers" than a sandbox-style RPG but you might have more fun with the limitations of the LEGOS than then the "here is the world, you figure out what to do" style of Minecraft.
  7. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  8. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  9. Nov 25, 2011
    At it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experiencedAt it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experienced enough dev to either refine / fix this game by himself or create another fun one. Expand
  10. Nov 24, 2011
    We are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, theWe are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, the "game" is the problem and such high metascore for a map editor... Well it's a joke. Expand
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is absolute rubbish. The combat is mindlessly simple spamming of mouse 1 and the enemies pathing and AI is a joke. The building and mining is incredibly boring. The "exploration" is an absolute waste of time. The entire game is the same thing with slightly different textures. What a waste of money.
  12. Nov 25, 2011
    Terrible, unfinished game. Not even old school games look this bad and the lack of an actual AI past, "I KILL U" and "I NO KILL U" is inexcusable.
  13. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health.Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2011
    Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else.Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else. There are far better actually complete games (that have only been around for as long as the Beta's) you can spend your money on. Look at games around or under the £17 mark, check it's metacritic score is more then 50 and buy it. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a far better *game* then this. Expand
  15. Nov 21, 2011
    While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The onlyWhile this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The only great thing about this game is the community, they have MADE the game with all the mods and support. The developer has simply profited off everyone else's hard work. Expand
  16. Nov 19, 2011
    - Full of bugs
    - Performs terribly
    - Bad graphics - Repetitve gameplay - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space - Half-assed RPG elements. - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming - Multiplayer often doesn't work - Poor developer support - Despite simple aesthetic, requires immensely powerful hardware to run at acceptable settings. +
    - Full of bugs
    - Performs terribly
    - Bad graphics
    - Repetitve gameplay
    - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space
    - Half-assed RPG elements.
    - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming
    - Multiplayer often doesn't work
    - Poor developer support
    + Cheaper than most other games
    + Good replay value
    + Large modding community

This system won't let me go into the negatives so a zero was the best I could give this. This game is an excellent example of wasted potential. It became popular as a building/Lego game with small combat elements to keep you on your toes. Now it's a game about swinging pixelated swords at things until they fall over. The world is so cluttered with 'dungeons' now that it's impossible to dig for five minutes without breaking into another spider pit. The height limit hasn't been raised since pre-alpha, so you won't be building anything taller than the London Tower or digging anything deeper than your swimming pool. The multiplayer is buggy, incomplete, and lacks the tools for proper moderation. This game is so incomplete that there is literally no one that plays this game vanilla.
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  18. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  19. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  20. Sep 17, 2011
    This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game
  21. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is notI really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is not much fun in a world where you are the only one to appreciate it. Combat is another big weakness. There are essentially only two ways to attack enemies: melee attacks and bows. All weapons in the game have the same "attacks" so combat is the same formula throughout the game, you just don't have many options. This all might have been tolerable if the game had a pleasant atmosphere, but with graphics that I personally don't think look good, and a lack of good music, the game is not fun to spend time in. If it had better physics, more combat options (like magic), and more "progression" the game would be fun for single player, but as it is now it's really just a sandbox building game with some survival, exploration, and combat elements tacked on. Expand
  23. Apr 4, 2014
    My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play.My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play. Survival games. "PVP." The only two activities they enjoy on this game. Most people only like Minecraft because it's the only game they have. I got my friend Garry's Mod, AND HE NEVER PLAYS IT! WHEN HE DOES, HE DOES FOR FIVE MINUTES, THEN GOES AND PLAYS "SURVIVAL GAMES"! I could rant and rave all day about this game, but I'm tired and going insane from my Minecraft player friend. Expand
  24. Sep 24, 2014
    Fun at first, fun for youtubers, overrated as hell, eventually only mods and plugins will make it fun. Servers if you're lucky. But guess who DOESN'T get paid? Mod, plugin and server devs. Actual game devs are lazy idiots who ride off of the success of the community and sell it to microsoft, before walking out claiming they can't handle it.
  25. Dec 16, 2014
    Overrated game, I actually don't get why those "critics" have acclaimed this game, it's monotonous, boring as hell, graphics suck, time consuming, not rewarding as you get little input after lots of effort and time for building something, it has no gameplay whatsoever and you're just there in the middle of nowhere and have to waste time building something that will look terrible anyway.Overrated game, I actually don't get why those "critics" have acclaimed this game, it's monotonous, boring as hell, graphics suck, time consuming, not rewarding as you get little input after lots of effort and time for building something, it has no gameplay whatsoever and you're just there in the middle of nowhere and have to waste time building something that will look terrible anyway. The graphics are so horrible that give me headache, I'd rather play the originals Doom or Hexen instead of this sh*t with crappy design. Overrated at all. Expand
  26. Mar 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The most overrated game EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  27. Jun 22, 2013
    Boring game without any interesting updates. We have a promise from Mojang about new Mod API, new animals, adventure mode etc but we didn't get any new features apart from useless horses. It was revolution before, but now Mojang broken their nice game to something which is rubbish and boring.
  28. Aug 29, 2013
    Ugh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft communityUgh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft community consists of under aged immature kids. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2014
    Not worth the purchase at all! The game is full of bugs and glitches! It wouldn't download on my PC either. The controls were easy. I don't recommend Minecraft to anybody!
  30. May 1, 2015
    game **** and so for those stupid kids who want to be youtubers so to this crap worst game so stupid and dumb planet for child not recommend anyone playing this game that should not even existed
  31. Feb 23, 2015
    ****
    no storyline
    **** like graphics
    servers full of morons
    have no good sides
    realism is ****
    only good side is creative
    worthless piece crap
    game boring out a hell
  32. TSW
    Oct 27, 2014
    I've finally fond a website where my school friends won't kill me because this game is the worst me I've ever played! Horrible game design with the lack of any tutorial, no graphics worth a damn and no character what so ever! I feel robbed of the £15 I spent on this turd!
  33. Jan 21, 2012
    Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience?Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience? First off, there's no tutorial or whatsoever. You'll have no idea what to do on your first playthrough - luckily there's a fan made wiki which will supply you with detailed information about every aspect of the game - but WHY do we have to rely on these kind of sources? Why is there no official tutorial or instructions? I understand that some people enjoyed the aspect of exploring and finding things on their own - but goddamn there aren't even crafting instructions.
    The game itself plays off rather nicely at the start; you randomly break blocks, suddenly it's noon. You build a shelter and start collecting resources... Then what? Nothing. The game becomes bland. There's no objective or win-stage. If you're creative you might still have fun, designing small contraptions and stuff. Maybe after some time playing you'll have an objective set for yourself - which is just collecting resources. But there is only a handful of resources in the game, and it doesn't take long until you get them all. There are some other things that you can do, like build a portal to the nether, or travel to the end... but how are you supposed to know these things exist, without, once again, checking the wiki or getting help?? Everything is simply scattered around the game and the devs expect the player to find these elements on his own while in reality it's an impossible task without some sort of guide or help.
    Then there's multiplayer - a fresh aspect for the game. After you've finished toying around with single player you'll probably want to try out multiplayer. But, guess what? There's no server list (only favorites), you have to type an IP of a server yourself - and where in the hell are you supposed to even get one? In addition to that there are no official game servers or a real way of obtaining a server IP other that asking a friend for a one or searching for a good one on the internet for countless hours. Once again, everything is simply scattered and feels unfinished. I've been playing for a while, so I know how to play the game and what to do. But I almost never find myself just randomly playing. The game gets BORING and the oblivious devs completely didn't take that into account while making this. Let's leave the gameplay-wise section. The game itself, has poor graphics compared to other games todays. Notch's reason for using pixellated graphics is to maintain a "retro" feel. And I can accept that - but WHY does the game take up so many system resources!? I can run Skyrim, Crysis, L.A Noire and other games in the highest settings but this game just slows down after a while and slows down my entire computer. I have occasional lag spikes and even crashes from time to time. This proves Notch didn't care for performance and wanted to release his game asap just to get it out there and earn more money from critic reviews. The game is also COMPLETELY overpriced - I've enjoyed The Binding of Isaac which is only 5$ MUCH more than I've enjoyed this game - And I bought it when it was just 10 euros. It should've stayed with that price, but it didn't. The game is also overpraised just because of what it's been through. All of the critics giving insanely high and undeserving scores have obviously played the game in the beta stage and were eagerly waiting for the game to come out so that they can review it. If the game DIDN'T have an alpha-beta stage and would just come out as it is today without no one knowing about it previously it would've gotten VERY low scores. It's a bad game. It would've been BUTCHERED by critics. Heck, if I could show Notch what his game would become he would've completely changed his plans. But instead he's money hungry. He has made so many promises that he didn't keep, like different gameplay modes or official mod support. I didn't even write about the other crummy features of the game in my review - like the so-called "end" - which is just a boring, artificially difficult boss fight, or the level up system which actually relies on the simple click-to-spam combat. There are even non-responsive NPCs in the game which Notch promised a long time ago but didn't have the patience/time/power to finish them. The game feels unfinished for an old player like me or confusing and bland for new player. It's shameful how it's getting these amazing scores from critics - it simply shouldn't. I'm giving it a 4 because I did spend a lot of time playing it with friends, and made a few creations which felt mostly rewarding and even fun. Thanks for the read.
  34. Jan 22, 2014
    How this crap is getting such scores. It doesn't have plot, graphics are **** (I mean really ****), don't know about soundtrack (if there is any), but **** me, there is only gameplay. I am giving 0/10 just to bring the balance, it should have 60/100 score.
  35. Feb 23, 2014
    Useless. Just one word to describe it. Is a game that can entertain you for 3/4 hours before that you realize that your life can go on without build cubic virtual houses in mud and crap.
  36. Mar 29, 2014
    Wow, this game really restricts your creativity. I mean, all you can make are giant penises. I haven't jerked off in about two years because I'm so sick of seeing penises. I'm even afraid of my own penis now. I haven't changed pants in about ten years. Well, I guess I'm gonna go play some DickCraft. See ya big boy.
  37. Apr 27, 2014
    It's EXTREMELY OVERRATED. It's REALLY freaking boring. The only time I have ever played is online and it gets boring after a couple of hours. It's really a crappy game.
  38. Mar 20, 2015
    Minecraft is the dumbest game in the universe and is full of angry kids too. The price is expensive. 30 dollars for a stupid game. Mojang is trying to make money by selling a stupid game. Terraria is way better.
  39. Mar 7, 2012
    Please, if you are writing a review after playing after only one day, please don't. I would give this game a 10/10 after the first day, but after a couple of days you WILL get bored, unless you're autistic. After building a couple of houses, a couple of underwater houses, a few castles, and other complex structures (not the houses, those aren't complex) you run out of things to do. Sure,Please, if you are writing a review after playing after only one day, please don't. I would give this game a 10/10 after the first day, but after a couple of days you WILL get bored, unless you're autistic. After building a couple of houses, a couple of underwater houses, a few castles, and other complex structures (not the houses, those aren't complex) you run out of things to do. Sure, you can go to the end, but the end is actually not everything it was supposed to be. It is a four at best, and I'm being generous. Expand
  40. Feb 14, 2013
    minecraft is a fun game to dip into a few times but it lacks the depth of other games for example after 30 minutes of exploring you realise that there is not much to it and i guess after that it just becomes boring
  41. Apr 10, 2013
    Horrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers areHorrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers are terrible at optimizing the game. The AI in general is terrible and you can hardly consider it AI at all. Zombies run at you and attack you with no pattern. Skeletons shoot you and do nothing else. They have no death animations. You can hardly interact with villagers. Infact, villagers were pointless from the beginning, as when they were added they just came with some randomly spawned village that you couldn't do anything to but destroy or modify. They don't talk. All they do is move around a little and stare at you. The fact that this game got a rating almost as good as Bioshock Infinite makes me sad. The fact that this game got more than a mixed rating makes me sad. Expand
  42. Jul 31, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it.When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it. I installed many mods because the alpha was just too boring with lack of content. Because of all the updates Minecraft got, I just didn't saw much improvement and most of the popular mods didn't got updated anymore. Also installing them became harder. I gave up on Minecraft, just because it's lack of weapons and armor, unoriginal enemys besides the creeper... It's boring. If Mojang just could add many things from the popular mods, it would be so much better. Expand
  43. Jul 31, 2013
    I hate how biased critics are now. They give everything a good review. And this is one circumstance where it deserves nothing. This is probably the most overrated game of all time. It's boring and every person who thinks it's good has either no taste or is under the age of 13. I don't care if the graphics are bad, that's a dumb thing to care about in a game, but Minecraft is so boring andI hate how biased critics are now. They give everything a good review. And this is one circumstance where it deserves nothing. This is probably the most overrated game of all time. It's boring and every person who thinks it's good has either no taste or is under the age of 13. I don't care if the graphics are bad, that's a dumb thing to care about in a game, but Minecraft is so boring and repetitive, I can't even play it for more than 10 minutes without being bored. There really is no point to playing the game. It's weird. A game without a purpose for playing. Notch got lucky with this game. If he put it out 10 years ago it would have gone nowhere. It's overrated and not worth anyone's money. Expand
  44. Aug 27, 2013
    The game is HIGHLY overrated. The gameplay is repetitive and not very exciting. The concept of endless building is great, but you can also have the same amount of fun by playing with Legos. Minecraft is loosing respect fast by older fans, and the developers should do something to win them back.
  45. Nov 1, 2013
    This is the most overrated game I have ever played. It quickly got boring after a while. I swear, this is not where creation games should go. And the fanbase of this game is worse than the fanbase of CoD hating on every person who gives even the smallest disliking to this game. And worst of all, the terrible YouTube channels like SkyDoesMinecraft make this game worse.
  46. Nov 22, 2014
    If you happen to have a time machine handy, go back to 2010. Minecraft was at its best then. Now, in 2014, the game is flooded with content. So much so, that it's as thinly spread out as a jar of peanut butter over the Atlantic Ocean. It has too much going for it, which kills the game as a whole. It only stands up for the complete stupidity of the "vanilla" or original mode with itsIf you happen to have a time machine handy, go back to 2010. Minecraft was at its best then. Now, in 2014, the game is flooded with content. So much so, that it's as thinly spread out as a jar of peanut butter over the Atlantic Ocean. It has too much going for it, which kills the game as a whole. It only stands up for the complete stupidity of the "vanilla" or original mode with its absolutely MASSIVE modding community. But, if your game relies on mods to attract a crowd, you might as well head on over and sign up for Roblox, you illiterate ****
    TL;DR: A depressingly **** game that killed itself over time by saturating its content to the point of complete boredom. I can't go longer than 10 minutes playing this before I realize just how interesting my ceiling looks, a sign of true boredom. Consider this a platform to hold up mods, rather than a game and you can give it a solid 6/10. But, since this is a game, 2/10, you **** RIP Minecraft, an excellent game killed by oversaturation of content and a community that somehow beats out Call of Duty in the category of ****ty **** for ****s.
    Good if you need your spoiled ****face 10 year olds to shut up, otherwise, don't recommend. Want a real sandbox? Go play DayZ or something.
  47. Jul 31, 2014
    This game's only achievement is that it attempts to unite gaming with videogame making. You actually build something of your own game without having to cope with the actual making of the game. Gamers join its evolution process and this is the reason so many mods exist. It is an interesting approach, but it cannot be regarded as a game itself. Besides that, "Minecraft" is distinctive forThis game's only achievement is that it attempts to unite gaming with videogame making. You actually build something of your own game without having to cope with the actual making of the game. Gamers join its evolution process and this is the reason so many mods exist. It is an interesting approach, but it cannot be regarded as a game itself. Besides that, "Minecraft" is distinctive for its terrible graphics and boring gameplay. A lot of critics and gamers seem biased and do not even think that we are in 2014 and not at the beginning of the videogame industry. This overrated "innovation" is so repulsive that I'd rather install some software and make a game of my own. And they didn't even attempt a serious improvement since 2009!

For me it's up to your taste, your aesthetics and what you actually seek to get from it.
  48. Aug 2, 2014
    Нудная, неинтересная игра которая по непонятным мне причинам очень популярная среди школоты и (что очень странно) среди казалось бы адекватных взрослых людей.
  49. Apr 26, 2015
    Most of people likes the game, and its ok, but the game is not very good in my opinion, WHY??

THE COMMUNITY: A lot of bad players and people that wants an original account of the game (they play it pirate) to play in servers "premium" and play with their "GODS" (more sarcasm, but in some chases true) GRAPHICS: graphics of 1993!! CONCLUTION: I PLAYED THIS GAME SINCE 2012, BUT THE

GRAPHICS: graphics of 1993!!

CONCLUTION: I PLAYED THIS GAME SINCE 2012, BUT THE GAME LOSED CUALITY AND ITS NOT THE SAME, SINGLEPLAYER IS VERY GOOD!!
  50. Aug 17, 2013
    Now my old review for Minecraft I gave the game a 5/10 now it get's a flipping 0/10 for being one of my most hated games. First of all what makes Minecraft suck are the developers. Notch the original creator of Minecraft made many promises about things he was going to add to Minecraft. He fulfilled 1/100 of those promises and than gave it to Jeb so he didn't have to take the blame for it.Now my old review for Minecraft I gave the game a 5/10 now it get's a flipping 0/10 for being one of my most hated games. First of all what makes Minecraft suck are the developers. Notch the original creator of Minecraft made many promises about things he was going to add to Minecraft. He fulfilled 1/100 of those promises and than gave it to Jeb so he didn't have to take the blame for it. Than we have the new owner of Minecraft Jeb. Jeb completely ruined the game by adding all this new stuff that made the game look and feel worse. Everything went downhill from 1.8 and Jeb has only made it fall at a rapid rate. The game was not complete when released. It had little content and looked horrid compared to what it use to look like. Now we get rare updates that add more adventure qualities to a CREATIVE game! Look at the new update for example it added horses and that's about it and how long did it take them like an entire 2 months. This game is a sorry excuse for a game and I wish to see it burn! Minecraft is now a PvP game with terrible combat! 0/10 Expand
  51. Dec 6, 2011
    First I'd like to respond to people claiming I haven't played the game. I have (and continue) to spend 4+ hours a day in this game, and I've hosted a semi-popular for nearly 8 months now.

Now, minecraft is a revolutionary and fun game, and you will be amazed at how long you can keep on playing something as simple as this. If you get bored, you find a server with a different set of rules and plugins, and you get a completely new game in doing so. Minecraft has such great potential in so many ways, it's possible to make MMORPG-like servers, competetitive pvp servers, and everything in between.

The problem is, that mojang has decided to spend most of their time on other projects, and adding new features to minecraft. Why is this bad? Because they've released a non-working incredibly glitchy game, and yet they've decided to spend time on either making completely unrelated games, or making it more glitchy by adding more features.

Anybody who wants mojang to add more features is downright stupid, mojang will never be able to satisfy every persons need, it's an impossible task. The fact that so many kids want them to take on the task (and more incredibly that they have taken on the task) is just unbelievable considering the owner is supposedly a member of mensa.

Mojang have supplied us with the base, let the modders take over from here. The only feature they need to add now is some sort of clientside mod API, like spoutcraft but without the need for each player to install it. After this, fix bugs, make the game run as smooth as possible, but do not add anymore features.

FIXING BUGS > ADDING USELESS FEATURES
  52. Mar 10, 2012
    This game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might takeThis game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might take you a fair while. As far as building stuff goes a lack of intelligent opposition and the general low difficulty level makes it pointless while building for its own sake is boring due to the simple nature of the game's engine.

A novelty that became a short lived cultural phenomenon. Avoid.
  53. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a nice gimmicky game that will provide you something to do for a few hours. Any more is questionable. The main idea is building anything you want out of the blocks that create the massive random generated world you are on. The biggest flaw of this concept is building anything you want is limited by just how creative you are. A natural artist could spend months buildingMinecraft is a nice gimmicky game that will provide you something to do for a few hours. Any more is questionable. The main idea is building anything you want out of the blocks that create the massive random generated world you are on. The biggest flaw of this concept is building anything you want is limited by just how creative you are. A natural artist could spend months building complicated designs, but for most people, they will only build simple things. The problem is the eventual lack of direction for most people. Survival mode starts the player in the middle of nowhere, having to rush building a shelter for the night before zombies come and eat you. It sound exciting and it is exciting on the first night, but once you figure out how to build a proper shelter, enemies become irrelevant. The player then may decide to dig to as far down as they go, and find the rare diamond. Yet again this is exciting the first time you do it, but becomes completely boring any other time. Exploring also may be fun at first, but becomes pointless shortly after. Currently minecraft is $26.95, which is an absurd price for the game. Most people will struggle to finding things to do after 5 to 10 hours of gameplay. Even if you are the creative type that spends countless hours painting or just building, that hefty of a price tag is not worth it. Unless the game price is lowered or on sale to something more reasonable like $10 would I buy this game. Don't waste your time otherwise. Expand
  54. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and hasThe brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  55. May 16, 2012
    Ok, actually this game is bad. I starts funny, ok. But then.... later on it's just very, very boring. Ok, it's cheap. But this is the only good point at that game. Don't buy.
  56. May 2, 2012
    Minecraft, when in BETA, was an incredible fun start to bringing old graphics back into the world. It was actually fairly stable too. But now since it's become more popular, Java has turned bad on it and now all the modifications and the community have ruined how it works. It's just not Minecraft anymore. Sorry guys.
  57. May 15, 2012
    A mediocre sandbox game with alot of potential that it never tried to live up to.
    The game lacks content instead giving you a bland sandbox to play in with nothing to do in the long term except play with lego blocks and find diamond.
  58. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of aMinecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  59. Dec 30, 2011
    MineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of peopleMineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of people have said, setting up a multiplayer server is terrible. Mojang, the creators of the game, throw the server software at you with little to no instructions. Sure they maybe some tutorials on YouTube and it may be very helpful but sometimes it just confuses you to the point of frustration. In summary, fun game for quite sometime but eventually will get boring and multiplayer is very weirdly setup. The game, all in all, didn't feel worth the 20 bucks I paid. Expand
  60. Jun 26, 2012
    Minecraft was a really cool idea when it first came around. The whole concept had literally endless potential. At the $10 price for the alpha it was great and even at $20 I think is fair enough despite it's shortcomings. It is now $30 which is too much for an incomplete product. I stopped paying it during the Beta and went back for 1.2.5 only to find that almost nothing changed. The gameMinecraft was a really cool idea when it first came around. The whole concept had literally endless potential. At the $10 price for the alpha it was great and even at $20 I think is fair enough despite it's shortcomings. It is now $30 which is too much for an incomplete product. I stopped paying it during the Beta and went back for 1.2.5 only to find that almost nothing changed. The game still had the same inherent limits and problems due to poor core coding on Notches part. The game still lacked proper modding support (which was promised), lacked optimized graphics for low end systems. Still ran poorly on Java (Java is fine but you have to optimize). The part that blows me away is that Mojang made so much money from this small game that you would think they could hire 1 guy to add content and even create proper DLC. The survival mode is still stale and only fun for a several hours until you realize that there is nothing to do once you built your home, mineshaft, and farm. What amazes me is the amount of nothing coming out of Mojang, several modders take time out of their day to provide all the basics that the game is missing via mods and what does Mojang do? Release a patch to break over half of them. The funniest part is how long it takes them to put something out after Notch says he "likes the idea". I remember reading a tweet about the fence doors which took months to get released meanwhile a modder had already made one in about an hour. I don't blame the whole company for dropping the ball on Minecraft, I think what it is is the code they worked with was so bad (Notch) that it was extremely difficult, time consuming, and probably had to be hacked in anyway to get anything added. Notch probably decided to spend more time/money on a new project (Scrolls, which will flop) instead of spending 10x the time to implement something in Minecraft for free. Overall, fun game that had a lot of potential but fell in the lap of someone who lacks creativity and vision. Sure he made a lot of money but if he was more careful and invested a little bit more into Minecraft it would have been a timeless platform for selling DLC packs and official "Mods" for years - think space, crazy dimensions, Heaven, etc). Expand
  61. Apr 26, 2012
    This game is creative and fun, but it's in Java and it's very poorly optimized. And I don't really think this game is worth 27$, that's really expensive for a game made in JAVA imo. Terraria is just most fun, have no performance issues, it's 10$ full price and it's on Steam.
  62. Nov 26, 2011
    notch is a complete hack. He gets way too much esteem for his "accomplishments." First off, Minecraft is almost an exact copy of Infiniminer, a game created by Zach Barth. Do a search on Google if you are not familiar with that game. So he is no genius game designer. Secondly, Minecraft runs like crap. Given the way the game looks, it should easily run at 60fps in a browser.notch is a complete hack. He gets way too much esteem for his "accomplishments." First off, Minecraft is almost an exact copy of Infiniminer, a game created by Zach Barth. Do a search on Google if you are not familiar with that game. So he is no genius game designer. Secondly, Minecraft runs like crap. Given the way the game looks, it should easily run at 60fps in a browser. Instead, even on high performance machines, it still does not run smoothly as a standalone application. So he is no genius programmer.

Lastly, he's hired a crew of programmers and started a "game company", yet take a look Minecraft today versus 2 years ago. It's virtually the same game, with a few new crafting items thrown in.

I still don't understand why people regard this game so highly. It feels like a classic "the emperor has no clothes."
  63. Nov 27, 2011
    In no way the finished game. How can this be out of beta? The graphics are horrendous, the combat is boring, with enemies that have no attack animation whatsoever, making blocking their attacks extremely hard or impossible.
  64. Apr 16, 2012
    It started good. The alpha was great. Everyone's arch enemy was a creeper. Notch was awesome. But then... BAM! When the Full Version came out there was more bugs than the alpha and beta COMBINED. Notch got really famous and rich that he just left us behind. And when the Adventure update came, I thought it was pretty good. That was, until I found out the NPC to nothing at all but let youIt started good. The alpha was great. Everyone's arch enemy was a creeper. Notch was awesome. But then... BAM! When the Full Version came out there was more bugs than the alpha and beta COMBINED. Notch got really famous and rich that he just left us behind. And when the Adventure update came, I thought it was pretty good. That was, until I found out the NPC to nothing at all but let you trade with them. Then : Minecraft 1.0... WHAT THE **** This is nothing like minecraft! Hardcore? **** that! If you die by even FALLING off a cliff you have to start over THE WHOLE ****ING WAY.... I don't reccomend this game. Expand
  65. Apr 30, 2012
    I'll admit, Minecraft is a great game, but it has many flaws. I remember when it was in 1.7.3, it was one of the largest updates to happen to the game, and it was great. That was when I got the game. I was addicted and really enjoyed playing it, but then it just lost it's appeal. Then came other weird and annoying gameplay things, such as hunger, or experience. It's frustrating to loseI'll admit, Minecraft is a great game, but it has many flaws. I remember when it was in 1.7.3, it was one of the largest updates to happen to the game, and it was great. That was when I got the game. I was addicted and really enjoyed playing it, but then it just lost it's appeal. Then came other weird and annoying gameplay things, such as hunger, or experience. It's frustrating to lose many levels from being killed, and the hunger meter depletes too fast, and always seems to go empty when I have no food on me. Another thing, when they said Minecraft was going to be finished in 1.0.0, I was SO excited. No more updates! No more waiting for mods that could barely keep up! I could get all the mods I wanted, and not have to worry about updates! Of course, that wasn't true, was it Notch? He began updating again. What the ****. He just couldn't stop updating the game! And these came faster and faster, 1 every week or two! It was insane! Most modders didn't even bother to try and update their mods, because the new updates were pouring out so fast. Not only that, but it started out extremely cheap, then got to about $14 to $15 by beta 1.7.3, and now, after the "finished game" was released, it's around $20+ dollars! I like the game every once in a while, but after playing for a while, it's really boring and it seems to be the same process every world you make. Expand
  66. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  67. Jan 14, 2012
    Minecraft is the most overrated game ever. The idea deserves 10, indeed, but the execution is... a tragedy.

The game has been developed for THREE YEARS and it is FAR FROM BEING FINISHED, even though it has the 'Full Release' title. Notch did a horrible job with the game. He wasted the enormous potential. Slow lazy greedy Swede who ruined the game. Rushed half-features for which nobody has asked. If there weren't any mods, Minecraft would become boring after 5 hours of playing.

Don't buy it. Don't waste your money. Many clones of Minecraft are being created. Who knows, one may beat this extremely overrated title.
  68. Jan 15, 2012
    Minecraft is game for those, who don't have good PC to play games that have nice graphics, interesting gameplay. What can you say me about Minecraft?
    Gameplay?
    That stupid cubes are interesting for first 2-3 hours, next time they are annoying, craft recipes isn't interesting too, world is always same, same mobs, same dungeons, only location changes. I think, if this game would be developed
    Gameplay?
    I think, if this game would be developed in 2000 year it would be a super game for all people, but for today it doesn't work.
    So, if you don't have powerful PC or you like indie games, Minecraft is game for you.
  69. Apr 18, 2012
    Was EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they addedWas EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they added cats, which really pissed me off, not because I was mad about them adding cats, but because instead of fixing many of the GAME BREAKING BUGS (I'm serious, the game lags more than Skyrim) they added CATS. Also the golems, they also do nothing, there aren't any zombie attacks or anything to defend against. The game WAS great, best game I ever played, but that was before the useless updates and laziness of staff.

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.
  70. May 16, 2012
    Over-hyped trash with no point. A big lego sandbox with horrible AI, poor controls and a clear lack of vision.

Terraria is about 9 times the game Minecraft is. Minecraft is a good idea, poorly implemented.
  71. Nov 25, 2011
    Minecraft. I voxel based block building game that shot to popularity thanks to many gaming sites. When I first found it, it was still in alpha and very few people were playing it. I had fun building it an I eventually bought it for the singleplayer. When I first bought it I became very addicted to the singleplayer but after I week, I had a huge mine, tons of supplies...and for what? I wasMinecraft. I voxel based block building game that shot to popularity thanks to many gaming sites. When I first found it, it was still in alpha and very few people were playing it. I had fun building it an I eventually bought it for the singleplayer. When I first bought it I became very addicted to the singleplayer but after I week, I had a huge mine, tons of supplies...and for what? I was the only person I this land with some monsters that attack you every so often. After this I just stopped playing SP because I grew so tired of just building without a purpose. Then Minecrafts popularity shot up. All my friends bought it and I created a multiplayer server. After about two weeks of building a huge town with my friends I grew bored once again. By this time Minecraft was huge, Notch was rich, and everyone was playing this game. Notch created his own company and started hiring people. This is where it goes downhill. Mojang became very lazy and started releasing updates every blue moon. These updates generally did not add that much, and most of the major content they released through updates were already stuff done a lot better by modders. They rarely fixed major bugs that have been in the game for a while and every update added more bugs. They fixed some but still some major bugs have not been addressed. Still Minecraft has gained massive amounts of popularity through all this. So Mojang is sitting around raking the money in, and people are still playing. This doesn't mean Minecraft is a bad game, it is just that there is hardly enough content to make it a real game. It has potential to be very fun. If it had better MP, where AI was actually difficult, combat was actually fun, and building bases was mean't for survival I would still be playing this game. But Mojang is just selling us a simple block builder game, and I don't see them adding any major content that will make the game fun for me for a while. One day it may be there, but for now it is just a dull block building game. And the people who whine about the graphics are idiots. Games are about gameplay not graphics...and Minecraft lacks gameplay. Expand
  72. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is severely overrated. The creator now hardly updates it at all, and there isn't really that much to do. People say that you need to explore or build if you don't have anything to do but that's boring... I don't want to spend 3 hours building some stupid castle that won't be worth anything when I could enjoy that 3 hours on another game
  73. Feb 12, 2012
    I have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but itI have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but it doesn't have to be in 3-D to be good like most people think. Terraria is so good because of the limitless amount of content in the game. There are so many things to do I can't even list them all. Countless enemies, so many upgrades to tools and armor, several bosses, everything. If Minecraft were anything like Terraria, the game would be the most sold game in the universe. Expand
  74. May 14, 2012
    I gaveMinecraft a zero not a ten :). So what I said before but this is actually what I scored it zero so hopefully I get a correct gamescore this time.
  75. Jul 3, 2012
    this game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a muchthis game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a much better game. The only thing this game is good at is it's replay ability witch rates very high for me. You will spend thousands of hours messing around with the crafting table and the various items you can create. Graphics: 4
    Sound: 5
    Game mechanics: 6
    Replay ability: 9
    Intelligence: 2 Bugs: 5
  76. Jun 10, 2012
    When I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will getWhen I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will get exploded. I cant belive that this game cost money i mean if you watch gameplay you would think that its free from its ****ty graphics but no they want you to pay 10 bucks for it. If your going to buy this game just save the 10 bucks for a real game or buy Terria or however you spell it. Expand
  77. Jan 3, 2012
    Me-Buys 2000$ computer that can run Crysis and Skyrim Maxed out with full anti-aliasing
    MInecraft- Java
    Me- Cant run 256x256 texture packs without lag
    Java, I'm done here
  78. Jun 22, 2012
    Way too overpriced. Simply put. The interface is boring, and the players are simply way too biased. Rate it for what it is. Not for what you think it is.
  79. Jan 4, 2014
    Minecraft gets really boring after a few hours. Without any objective given, you quickly lose interest in playing. The developers don't even care about the game and the community has to make mods in order to give it some variety. Also, the combat is horrible, you can't talk to NPC's, enemy AI is garbage and building structures becomes tedious after a while.

Minecraft is terribly

Minecraft is terribly overrated and Youtube is polluted with videos of little kids making Let's Plays of this game in hope to earn a quick buck from subscriptions. A shameless ripoff of Infiniminer and doesn't do anything original or interesting to be considered worth playing.
  80. Jun 11, 2014
    Ehh i have to say this game was PERFECT until 1.8 patch. The added all RPG and **** stuff wich completly destroyed the feeling of minecraft. It was a great, simple and FUN game. Now? It's stupid, boring and completly not fun game..
  81. Dec 26, 2014
    This game is so much better than terraria lol lol lol it copied them and notch is god and so is shrek and I think that every game with blocks is a copy of minecraft. LOLOLOLOLOL now don't disagree with me or I will hack you.

From:Every minecraft fan ever (Not me)
  82. Jan 24, 2012
    I must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, theI must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, the game itself is 4 hour, mediocre, half broken game, not worth your money. With mods, it would be a 75, but without, it's a 2. Mojang and Notch need to wake the **** up. The game is apparently released, yet it still is, in all honesty, a beta, if not an alpha version. Expand
  83. Jan 2, 2012
    30 for this? Seriously?

30 for this? Seriously?

This game still reeks of "beta," not a finished product. There simply is nothing to do. The gameplay has no point and gets old after five minutes. Performance is terrible, even on decently-powerful computers--it simply isn't optimized. So then I decided to try some mods, but even the mods themselves are fragmented. Single-player mods don't necessarily function in multiplayer (even though core Minecraft gameplay is unchanged between single and multi), and heaven forbid you want to mod a dedicated server--that has a whole separate set of dependencies and issues to contend with. And even when they do work, they're nothing different from questing and crafting in games that you've already heard about.

Maybe it's one of those games that takes time to grow on you, so I'll give it another week. I just fear that there may not be a week's worth of stuff to actually do. Other than mine, build, and kill stuff. Which I did on day one.
  84. Feb 4, 2012
    When I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its lowWhen I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its low point was the complete lack of updates. From alpha to full release, only two hostile monsters were added (Enderman and Enderdragon). Notch killed the entire reputation of Minecraft by moving onto Scrolls with so many unfulfilled promises he made. The one that sticks out the most is the AI in NPCs; there is no dialogue whatsoever, no shops that you trade at, no quests, and they don't react to anything that's done to them at all. There are so many illogical things in the game to; if you eat zombie flesh, poisoning is supposed to cause harm to you, yet if you eat enough to bring your hunger bar to max, you'll be healed. The overall thing though is that the game doesn't last very long and new things such as mobs are very sparse. Expand
  85. Mar 25, 2012
    This game showed tremendous promise, at least in the early stages. However, I feel as if the developers added unnecessary things and were very slow to fix bugs. The novelties begin to fade, and the game becomes boring. The game is also overpriced for the experience it delivers. If Notch made the game around $10, it would be a better deal. The difference between the full release and theThis game showed tremendous promise, at least in the early stages. However, I feel as if the developers added unnecessary things and were very slow to fix bugs. The novelties begin to fade, and the game becomes boring. The game is also overpriced for the experience it delivers. If Notch made the game around $10, it would be a better deal. The difference between the full release and the Beta is nonexistent. The only real fun you can have is when you create a server to play with friends. But that requires too much work, and the game, at least right now, is NOT worth it. Expand
  86. Aug 29, 2012
    I honestly think this game is grossly overrated. It's just an aimless Sandbox, and unless you look up a guide or have friends helping you, you've got no way of knowing what to do. And it's pretty costly, at around $30, you can get Terraria, basically a 2D version of this game on Steam for about 10 dollars.
  87. Oct 18, 2012
    Who the heck releases a game in it's unfinished state which such hype behind it. I'm not talking about the alpha and beta releases(all of which i played), i'm talking about the 1.0 version of the game.
  88. Jan 20, 2013
    Over hyped and designed carelessly, Minecraft may be an icon to the indie gaming industry, but it is not gaming perfection by any means.

Part sandbox game. Part strategy. Part... clicking over and over until your mouse button is worn and your finger hurts. As more Minecraft clones appear, to bank in on the game's success, we see copy-cat developers actually better certain aspects of the game in their own redesigns. Even now, the developers behind Minecraft seem to be blindly throwing in new ideas hoping to improve the game by adding to the pile of so-so concepts.

Minecraft certainly wasn't the first block-building indie game, and still not the best. But its combination of monsters, mining, and crafting seems to have hooked a hit with the gaming crowd, in a burst of luck and overexposure through social media. Minecraft has its moments of fun, but is a complete bore without multiplayer interaction. The construction system is reasonably lack-luster and the mining system very much feels like a mind-rotting chore than a fun gaming experience. The crafting system redeems the game, barely holding game play together.

The visuals, though cute, also feel too basic. Is the pixel style an intentional design, or just a half-baked cover up for cheap 3D graphics?

Its too expensive for what it is, and as a sandbox game is reasonably lackluster. Exploration and crafting seem to be the best aspects of Minecraft. Everything in between is a fragile experience.
  89. Aug 7, 2014
    Personally I tend to the negative side of the game. Not because of the game itself, the gameplay is fine, but the childish community of the game can be very annoying. Since the game is made by straight out java (as I know), it does not allow advanced managing method of the game though Minecraft allows some simple mods. Players can destroy other's creations easily and thus you can see howPersonally I tend to the negative side of the game. Not because of the game itself, the gameplay is fine, but the childish community of the game can be very annoying. Since the game is made by straight out java (as I know), it does not allow advanced managing method of the game though Minecraft allows some simple mods. Players can destroy other's creations easily and thus you can see how grieving is so common in this game. I understand that freedom is the main aspect of sandbox games but I think the situation may become a bit too far for multiplayer in Minecraft. Expand
  90. Feb 6, 2015
    this game is SO REPETITIVE IS KILLS MY BRAIN. you start a survival game get wood build a house, get stone, get iron and get diamonds. then it just gets really boring. also its for 9 year olds
  91. Apr 26, 2012
    Ok, I admit, I am a little bit bias against this game. Simply put, the plot failed to engage me. I felt very little relation to the characters, as the development of the story was very poor. The only thing this game has going for it is its ultimate realism. The graphics are ultra real, but this is another downside to the game, It requires a ridiculous system to run it at full settings.
  92. Nov 26, 2011
    A lot of unfulfilled promises, and an underwhelming final version. Useless NPC villages, abysmal AI and a stupid tacked on ending. A huge amount of issues that I'm not going to list here. Giving it a 3 because I had a lot of fun with friends on a multiplayer server, even though it was heavily modded
  93. Dec 21, 2011
    Can the people who JUST bought this game please stop making reviews for it.
    You give it a 10 and in a week or less you're gonna find you'reself playing a better game like starcraft 2 or skyrim. It's not bad, but its not worth paying for at all, you're paying for mods and lego.
    Dwarf fortess.....
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    Having played this game from early beta I can safely say I got my money's worth. This is only true due to the modding community which the developer has refused to support by releasing a mod API( which would allow modding without editing core game files). The unmodded game is very bland. While it contains enemies and NPCs the AI of both are extremely lacking( with NPCs being completelyHaving played this game from early beta I can safely say I got my money's worth. This is only true due to the modding community which the developer has refused to support by releasing a mod API( which would allow modding without editing core game files). The unmodded game is very bland. While it contains enemies and NPCs the AI of both are extremely lacking( with NPCs being completely uninteractible, even ignoring the player as they are being beaten to death and enemies moving in a straight line towards the player, being trapped by any pillar too high to jump over due to no pathfinding). The 'release' version of the game carries over many bugs that have existed throughout beta as well as bugs that accumulated near the end of beta when certain user-made mods were implemented into the core game(with less functionality).
    Overall it is an unfinished game by any standard. Anyone giving this game a green score is either doing it to spite others or are considering the work of the modding community in their score.
    to anyone who thinks it is correct to give this game a higher rating because of all the fun you had with the Yogbox mods, ect. remember that this is a review of the actual game, that actually has no support for any mods despite promises from the developer
  95. Nov 29, 2011
    When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game,When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game, with animals. Booring. Bad gameplay, bad graphics, bad... game i guess. And bad game reviewers giving this mostly positive reviews. I'm talking to you pros at GAMESPOT, IGN and etc: You are supposed to be professionals and you aren't acting like it. Giving this "game" a passing score is **** Grab your **** ponytail and pull your head out of your ass, I don't read game reviews to get my **** hard, i read them to know if a **** game is good or **** bad. Stop being misleading you dickheads.

And to the many fans of the game, enjoy it if you want, I don't give a **** I buy EVERY Harvest Moon game and play them constantly. I know most of them are **** I don't care, it's a matter of preference. So enjoy your game but don't tell me its a **** 10/10 perfect game, have some **** pride and self worth and say "its a 4/10 but I love it". I knocked 3 points off my score to compensate for the dick sucking around here.
  96. Nov 25, 2011
    If you like sandbox games with no plot, storyline, or point, you will love Minecraft.

If you want any of the above, skip Minecraft entirely. I played the game every night for a month or two, but eventually realized that I found it utterly pointless. Sure, I could built a giant block castle, but why? Sure, I could stockpile tons of wheat or iron or diamonds, but again, why? Once you've

If you want any of the above, skip Minecraft entirely.

Once you've built a bed and shelter from the monsters at night, nothing you do has any lasting importance or urgency. Sure, you need to farm or hunt for food, but any half-decent farm will develop enough food in a week or so of ingame play to last months. Sure, you can build elaborate traps for the monsters, but there is no need, as all you have to do is sleep and they become irrelevant.

Minecraft is a fancy lego set. If lego turns your crank, have at it. If it doesn't, pass this by.
  97. Nov 25, 2011
    **** graphics
    i honestly do not get the point of this game
    you run around and create a world but honestly who is willing to waste their precious time trying to create a fake virtual world only good thing is you can go online and show off but even still who is that bored and lonely that they have to make a world of their own and cannot live in the real world. there are also too many
    **** graphics
    i honestly do not get the point of this game
    there are also too many creepers at night time.
  98. Jan 3, 2014
    This is a game the same way lego is a game- meaning, it isn't. This is a building simulation which is ultimately the most overrated game of the decade. Graphics, controls, and UI are all absolutely horrid- but it's an indie sandbox, so naturally that's enough for those who hate anything made by a big company to love it. If this game was made by EA, every person praising it would instead beThis is a game the same way lego is a game- meaning, it isn't. This is a building simulation which is ultimately the most overrated game of the decade. Graphics, controls, and UI are all absolutely horrid- but it's an indie sandbox, so naturally that's enough for those who hate anything made by a big company to love it. If this game was made by EA, every person praising it would instead be talking about how horrible it is. Too bad this era's of gamers are more interested in gaming politics than they are in actual games.

And queue the flood of terrible but cheap or free indie games.
  99. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a very bad game, I have never played a game as bad as this one in my whole entire life, in addition this game looks like it was made in a day by a 2 year old. DON'T BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL REGRET IT !!!
  100. Jul 28, 2012
    its is very boring and uninterseting. I like the idea of being able to do whatever you want and it is a very original idea that strays away from traditional ideas for what a game can be.
  101. Nov 27, 2011
    Maybe you're looking for a game and you've heard of minecraft. You might be thinking right now, "oh yeah, I heard it's alot of fun, a 95 on metacritic, AND all my friends have it!" The reality is, it's just not a fun game. I mean, yes, it is fun for the first time where you're wondering around trying to survive on what resources you can get - but after a couple hours you will stop andMaybe you're looking for a game and you've heard of minecraft. You might be thinking right now, "oh yeah, I heard it's alot of fun, a 95 on metacritic, AND all my friends have it!" The reality is, it's just not a fun game. I mean, yes, it is fun for the first time where you're wondering around trying to survive on what resources you can get - but after a couple hours you will stop and thinking to yourself, "WHY am I DOING this?" there is no purpose but to run around and dig all day. watch out, though, for there are npc's that will attack you! No worries though, for the combat is flawed and not fun, and you can easily get away by digging a hole in the ground. There are no tutorials - so you'll be spending your time watching YT videos of how other people do it - which is okay, no big deal, but that will spoil the fun for you and it will ruin the critical moment of the game. "What about the multiplayer? The mods?", you might be saying. While the mods might be fun and add SOME re playability, there isn't much too it, that goes for the multiplayer, also, because really what else could you do with the multiplayer? Oh - that's right, dig & survive. This game is fun for a couple hours but it is not worth $20 - or however much it is worth now. You will be severely disappointed. Collapse

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]