7.4

1. Mar 15, 2012
    Minecraft is an innovative game and a timesink of another world.
    It is what you make of it, and a great example of a game that keeps you interested through depth, instead of unlocks/achievements. - Especially multiplayer is very fun and interesting, as I can think of few games that'll build a feeling of community as this. Building entire worlds with other people is very satisfactory.
  2. Nov 18, 2011
    What a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of thingsWhat a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of things the developers could have included are /literally/ endless.

This is why Minecraft has a plugin system. It needs improvement, but its a very good start. Where can this game improve? It needs a main world for all minecrafters to explore, almost like World of Warcraft.

Reviewing this game will take ages, which is why I will put into a few main categories:
    -- Gameplay: 10
    -- Fun: 9.5
    -- Graphics: N/A
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft is a great game, no doubt about it. However, there are some key issues with it. There are many bugs, for starters. This was to be expected when the game was in beta, but now it's in a full release version I would have expected it to be working fully.

Also, even with the seemingly undemanding graphics, the game struggles to run on many low end PC's, even on the lowest graphics settings.

Overall, Minecraft is a great game with some minor, fixable setbacks.
  4. Nov 23, 2011
    amazing game, you should already know about it. not without its flaws, but probably the best building game i've played in YEARS. or maybe since legos.
  5. Nov 15, 2011
    Highly enjoyable, especially with modding capabilities, making it a go-to game if you're bored. Although, for a game with quite simple graphics, some computers might not handle the fun of this cube shaped piece of indie legend.
  6. Nov 15, 2011
    Simple, addicting and fun, this game is one of the best games that I currently have. The possibilities for creation are endless. The only things I hate about this game are endermen and hunger in survival mode. This is a great game!
  7. Dec 5, 2011
    Minecraft is a game that caters exclusively to the visionaries and creative audience of the PC gaming world. Of course many would say it is repetitive and otherwise boring, because they have very little vision on what they can do next. While I'm sad to see it suffer in that regard, I'm very glad that for every nay-sayer there are 5 people who could blow me away with their creations andMinecraft is a game that caters exclusively to the visionaries and creative audience of the PC gaming world. Of course many would say it is repetitive and otherwise boring, because they have very little vision on what they can do next. While I'm sad to see it suffer in that regard, I'm very glad that for every nay-sayer there are 5 people who could blow me away with their creations and excellent uses of the ultimate sandbox world. However, I think there is one big flaw in Minecraft, and that is the development team. I do realize it is an indie developer, and can only handle so many bug fixes and content addition, many of them (Notch especially) were planning and talking about moving on from Minecraft to new projects before the game was even released at Minecon. There was so much potential and momentum in this game that I thought was lost in the area of the staffing at Mojang. However, the silver lining is that much of that potential was regained within the excellent modding community. All that aside, Minecraft is a game one would enjoy in a predisposed "creative" mood. Typically I find those who don't enjoy it aren't visual thinkers, and enjoy tight corridor games with point and shoot mechanics. But at the end of the day, Minecraft is, by indie development standards, an excellent and solid game. Bugs are minor and exploitable, and otherwise go unnoticed at times. Content may be lacking in some respect, but it has come a long way from the alpha version. Expand
  8. Dec 6, 2011
    Minecraft is a genre in its own and manages to make tedious gameplay fun and exciting with a cool original look. Also its free if you download it, don't make an account, and play in offline mode :P
  9. Nov 23, 2011
    With the variety of play modes, Minecraft makes itself attractive to more than just one type of gamer. Not only can one choose between "Classic" or "Adventure mode, but when playing the latter, one can choose to focus on being either a miner, explorer or adventure seeker (or why not just a little of each).
    With the new update (leaving beta), a whole new world of possibilities has opened up letting the player even choose to completing the game by going after the end boss.
    The only thing I'd want to see in Minecraft is more use of experience and level points, and also a bigger variety to what one can craft. Like why can't I make pizza?! ;-) And i'm looking forward to more game modes like CTF or Adventure (where one doesn't build, but runs through a pre-made level).
  10. Nov 26, 2011
    Minecraft is amazing. Too many people are rating Minecraft Alpha version or Beta version. But Minecraft is now in 1.0.0. And now, it's even better. Do what you want. REALLY what you want. Not like other games.
  11. Nov 26, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing game, for all of you whining about how it barely has anything in it and has bad graphics, shut up and play something that has "good graphics", and for all of you saying how it barely has anything in the final release, it still has upcoming updates, this is just going out of the beta stage. I've been playing since alpha and have never lost interest do to graphics orMinecraft is an amazing game, for all of you whining about how it barely has anything in it and has bad graphics, shut up and play something that has "good graphics", and for all of you saying how it barely has anything in the final release, it still has upcoming updates, this is just going out of the beta stage. I've been playing since alpha and have never lost interest do to graphics or how it doesn't have any of the promised features yet, it takes time to code a game, and if you get bored of the vanilla game, the community has tons of modders and the forums have a mod section full of great mods. Get bored of singleplayer with mods? Try multiplayer, and if that doesn't interest you enough, TRY MULTIPLAYER WITH MODS! I hope this review gets through to all of you. Collapse
  12. Nov 27, 2011
    I love this game! Its a great block based game that allows the player to build up his world and survive. Or cheat you way threw it. Which is fun to!!!!
  13. Nov 28, 2011
    I really, really love this game. It is without any doubt the best game I ever played. It gives you so much freedom to do whatever you want to do. Do you want to blow up the world? Go ahead!
    Do you want to make a huge castle? No problemo.
    Do you want to fight monsters? Sure thing!
  14. Dec 1, 2011
    I love this game, on its own its not a 10/10 but when you add in the great community and user made content this is about the best game you can get for 30 bucks. My advice, buy it, unless your like 10 yearrs old 30 bucks wont be a huge dent in your wallet and you most likely won't regret it unless your creativity is a bit lacking.
  15. Dec 3, 2011
    Minecraft is a sandbox game. You're the creator of your own amusement. Entering a new world without ambitions will leave you bored in about 5 minutes. You decide what you want to do and you decide how long you want to do it.

This game is incredible in my opinion. But it would be nothing without the community. Some of the mods you can get for this game is absolutely incredible and with a combination of let's say 10 mods you can spend hundereds of hours in one world exploring, constructing, building, mining and developing. It's like being ten years again building your Lego. Without inspiration or imagination you won't get far.

There's still room for huge improvements such as easier installations of mods and genrally implementing alot of stuff from the mods themselves in the vanilla game.

I am giving this game a rating 10/10 because of it's value with modding. As I said without the mods this game is not half as interesting. So to all the mod developers out there, I aplaud you. And Notch, start buying peoples creations. In my opinion the most valuable mods so far is "Buildcraft" and "Industrial Craft".
  16. Dec 2, 2011
    Minecraft is the most diverse game I have ever played, it allows you to be creative! People who take Minecraft down are the people who saw the textures and said "no". Even in textures you are free to do anything. From pigs to the hideous creepers and ghasts. And from dirt to obsidian. Minecraft is a game that can not bore you; as soon as you get bored, you just add a new mod or two and youMinecraft is the most diverse game I have ever played, it allows you to be creative! People who take Minecraft down are the people who saw the textures and said "no". Even in textures you are free to do anything. From pigs to the hideous creepers and ghasts. And from dirt to obsidian. Minecraft is a game that can not bore you; as soon as you get bored, you just add a new mod or two and you will see an entirely new side of the game.

To make a long story short: of all great games out there, Minecraft has the best price-quality ratio. Buy it today!
  17. Dec 3, 2011
    2nd On My Top 3 List Awesome Always New Updates Hold Up I Need My Creeper Cap *Puts On Hat* Anyway This Is Such Worth The Money You Can Build Survive Craft Sprint Dragons Potions The End The Nether Creeper Notch Heorbrine And Much More Buy It Now
  18. Dec 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK!So we're here to talk that overrated game: MINE CRAFT...
    The game is not bad but its not good either, people call some MINE CRAFT sh*t "art".How is that possible?
    Jesus Christ if that's art Mona Lisa by Leonardo Da Vinci is what?God made?
    The game is not boring,the music is normal and HELL! For an online game the players aren't like call of duty players, yes the game has no 12, 13 year old morons calling you noob or other things (well there's got to be but its rare...)
    So yeah for now the game is a 5/10..What can save or kill this game for me?
    the game play saves it...Like I said earlier in the review the game is not boring because of its gameplay,but remember i don't like building many things, just destroying and going to dungeon server looking for this.
    So i'll give the game a 8/10.
  19. Dec 4, 2011
    Minecraft is not merely a game, it is a tool for which modern audiences can express their creativity with as little effort as possible. The creator of the game, Notch, has taken a huge idea and compressed it into the limits of Java. There are 2 general ways to play Minecraft; survival, and creative. Survival focuses on building a shelter, crafting tools, killing enemies and mostMinecraft is not merely a game, it is a tool for which modern audiences can express their creativity with as little effort as possible. The creator of the game, Notch, has taken a huge idea and compressed it into the limits of Java. There are 2 general ways to play Minecraft; survival, and creative. Survival focuses on building a shelter, crafting tools, killing enemies and most importantly staying alive. Creative focuses on building, whether it be making a huge castle or an 8 bit computer or giant pixel art, creative Minecraft lets your dreams become reality block by block. Possibilities are endless, I love this game! Expand
  20. Dec 4, 2011
    Throw out the clearly biased low scores who have some sort of hatred against the deveolpers (judging by reading the reviews), and the high ones. You get a score around 7. I say it is an 8. Is it worth the full price tag of around $28.00? Probably not. I bought it while indev, and I still think that was a bit steep for the game. But it's an oddly fascinating game. Created from independentThrow out the clearly biased low scores who have some sort of hatred against the deveolpers (judging by reading the reviews), and the high ones. You get a score around 7. I say it is an 8. Is it worth the full price tag of around $28.00? Probably not. I bought it while indev, and I still think that was a bit steep for the game. But it's an oddly fascinating game. Created from independent developers...complaining about the development time and graphics....well what do you expect? Mojang and Notch hit above their weight with this game. The purpose was for the community to create something out of it. That purpose has been fulfilled. Just look at the mods out there. Don't hate on the developers, they achived what they set out to do. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2011
    To everyhone who wants Minecraft, or hating on it:
    To everyhone who wants Minecraft, or hating on it:
    Firstly, to all of you reviewers giving Minecraft reds, you do not understand the game and the 'complete' side of things. I have played minecraft since the first release of alpha, and have loved it all the way. The graphics that some people call s*** make the spirit of the game, and actually make it better. Without these graphics, Minecraft would not have its charm and would not be Minecraft. The building side of MInecraft is amazing, being able to construct everything you dream of. Survival mode pits you against monsters that come out at night, and all in all is REALLY FUN.

The developers are not lazy, as many have said. They work there butts of every day to make new content and add what fans want, constantly making the game more fun and exciting. Multiplayer is extremely fun, espacially with bukkit and plugins adding factions, npcs, and other great things to MInecraft. The reason why this game is so popular is that you can do anything you want, as the Yogscast have shown us, even make a gigantic sprawling story with twists and turns!

Graphics - 10/10 (Without them Minecraft would not be Minecraft, and it would not be good)
    Gameplay - 10/10 (Very fun and keeps yoy coming back and thinking about it throughout your day)
    Story - 10/10 (You make your own story, and can do anything you want on your own or with friends)

Extra:
    Singleplayer - 9/10 (Very very good, but can get boring after 250 hours of play)
    Multiplayer 10+/10 (Best multiplayer experience I have ever player, and I have played A LOT!)
  22. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is perfect in every aspect. Awesome gameplay, Nice, clean 8-bit textures and lots of lolz and fun if you have friends to play with. I'm so addicted to Minecraft. It's the perfect game if you want to test your creativity. You can build anything you want in it, from the smallest house to the biggest epic fortress and if you are playing multiplayer, priceless fun.
  23. Dec 5, 2011
    Shut up about the grapics. this game is so good that it completely doesnt matter. its that fun. addicting, charming, exciting, AMAZING modders and so many add ons made by fans that there is are uncountable ways to play it. whether it be custom maps, adding new goals to the game, mods, adding awesome possibilities and heights to the fun, servers where you can survive with friends or live inShut up about the grapics. this game is so good that it completely doesnt matter. its that fun. addicting, charming, exciting, AMAZING modders and so many add ons made by fans that there is are uncountable ways to play it. whether it be custom maps, adding new goals to the game, mods, adding awesome possibilities and heights to the fun, servers where you can survive with friends or live in a minecraft multiplayer universe, or even texture packs changing the atmosphere of the game in a way you wouldnt expect. without the pixal like graphics, almost none of this could be seriously done. take skyrim mods for example. skyrim is awesome but mod for that compared to minecraft are very far behind. why? graphics and difficuly modability. and mojang has been working day and night to get you all the new updates for Gods sake. LOOK AT THE ENDER DRAGON! it looks awesome. the game is addicting and an awesome game, especially for an indie game. Expand
  24. Dec 5, 2011
    I probably enjoyed this game so much because I always liked making my own maps in other games, like Age of Empires. When I started hearing about a game where you could build anything, from a small cabin to a gigantic castle in hell, I immediately wanted it.You have to admit, Minecraft is not just a game any more; it is also a genre. Sandbox games have risen in popularity due to theirI probably enjoyed this game so much because I always liked making my own maps in other games, like Age of Empires. When I started hearing about a game where you could build anything, from a small cabin to a gigantic castle in hell, I immediately wanted it.You have to admit, Minecraft is not just a game any more; it is also a genre. Sandbox games have risen in popularity due to their open-ended nature. I have played at least 100 hours on Minecraft over 10 months. I love sandbox gameplay in general: build what you want, do what you want, it is your world to make. Minecraft revolutionized the genre and caused a host of games inspired by or copies of it due to its simple, yet addictive gameplay. I personally want to say I like building, but I always end up killing all enemies within 1000 blocks of my house. My only problem with Minecraft is that its combat system is too simple. While simplicity is one of the major positives of the game, I found combat lacking. Make a sword and that's it; easy enemies to fight. This is why I prefer Terraria, another great sandbox game people have mistaken;y called 2-d Minecraft. This one problem aside, Minecraft has to be one of my favorite games of all time, providing endless hours of gameplay (quite literally), nostalgic graphic style and the ability to craft your own world. Minecraft has taken the world by surprise, selling millions of copies with absolutely no real advertising. If you are on the fence on whether to buy this game, buy it. It is worth every penny. Expand
  25. Dec 6, 2011
    Minecraft is what you make of it. If you enjoy building, exploring and trying creative/interesting things out, then you will fully enjoy this game. Simplistic game play. But it's one of those easy to learn, difficult to master type of games.
  26. Feb 29, 2012
    Late December 2010 was the first time I played this odd-looking indie-game called Minecraft. I started with an outdated version and even that had me impressed and hooked. A couple of weeks later I got my hands on the beta and a whole new adventure started.

Minecraft delivers a nearly endless world for you to mess around in. It throws some hostile spiders, skeletons, zombies and some explosive creatures called creepers at you at the same time. You have to survive and keep yourself out of danger, but at the same time you can dig deeper into the world and discover rare minerals and dangerous dungeons, all can be used to upgrade your amor, or obtain some rare blocks for that epic wizard's tower you're building.

The gameplay is basic; You can walk, sneak, punch, run and jump. To be honest, you don't need much more. It gives you the opportunities you need, and that's what this game is all about.

I've seen quite an amount of people complain about its graphics. Now, I really do like these fancy, shiny Fps-graphics as much as anyone, but even though they may seem sloppy and effortless, it works well with the rest of the game. There's even an opportunity to change all of your textures, even though you shouldn't have to mod your game to enjoy it.

The multiplayer; the heart and core of Minecraft. Even if you only decide to play some basic survival with a mate, or join a hardcore pvp-server, the multiplayer will be what really blows you away. You have ENDLESS possibilities, and that is exactly what makes this game what it is. It's what you and your multiplayer friends make it; amazing.
  27. Feb 12, 2012
    *Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.*

*This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game.*

Dear young gamers.
    Game's isnt about Graphics, they are for FUN.
    And why do you hate simply game where you can create massive building or something cool just because (nearly)everything looks blocks?
    Well, i gotta say this game gets boring after playing about 20hours and save(s) suddenly vanishes.
    This happened me 3 times, but i'll never gonna give up building!
  28. Jan 12, 2012
    If you look past the marketing and retro graphics and play the game for what it is instead of being critical from every observation, I promise you will be amazed
  29. Feb 11, 2012
    Ok, are the people writing these reviews **** drunk. I have been playing since the first version of beta and can tell you that this is my favorite game of all time, it is the ultimate sandbox game. The idea of having a game where you can completely make whatever you want has been around for decades but was never properly achieved until Notches beautiful Minecraft. The random world makesOk, are the people writing these reviews **** drunk. I have been playing since the first version of beta and can tell you that this is my favorite game of all time, it is the ultimate sandbox game. The idea of having a game where you can completely make whatever you want has been around for decades but was never properly achieved until Notches beautiful Minecraft. The random world makes players amazed at what they can find, the creepers add suspense and insure that the player is never safe, the many materials used to build an ultimate palace, all of this adds up to create the ultimate gaming experience known to man kind. All of these **** giving it bad reviews have no idea what they are talking about. Buy the game and you won't be sorry. It offers hours of fun in return and rarely has any bugs, when it does they are patched in the next update. This game will always have you on your toes, you never know what to expect from the glorious Minecraft. Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2012
    I am addicted to this game. This is by far the greatest game ever created in my opinion. It has so much you can do: explore caves. Fight endless hordes of undead creatures, giant spiders, and strange fiends that spawned in the imaginations of the creators. Explore down to the very bedrock of the world. Mine essential coal, valuable iron, amazing redstone, majestic lapis lazuli, brilliantI am addicted to this game. This is by far the greatest game ever created in my opinion. It has so much you can do: explore caves. Fight endless hordes of undead creatures, giant spiders, and strange fiends that spawned in the imaginations of the creators. Explore down to the very bedrock of the world. Mine essential coal, valuable iron, amazing redstone, majestic lapis lazuli, brilliant gold, heavy-duty diamonds, and of course the second-hardest material in the game, obsidian. Create impenetrable fortresses on the highest mountain, underwater, in a cliff face, or underground. Build complicated traps, locks, doorbells, gates, and more with redstone. Brew potions that can change the tide of battle. Enchant weapons, tools, and armor to give it a shiny bling and extra abilities. All this, and even more in multiplayer. Make a shop, start a city, dominate your enemies, found an alliance, rise to become a moderator, or even an admin, and more. And to think that the game started off with just one person.
    And the full version isn't the end. They still update it. They continue to add new wonders and horrors to the game. New mob AI's, including zombie "super-soldiers". Jungles. Ocelots. Spawner eggs. All of these things have been added or will be added to the game in the future, as well as many other updates. This is truly an amazing game and is a world of never-ending fun.
  31. Feb 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupidFantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupid it was made by 1 person with very little money not Bethesda with 100's of millions of dollars Expand
  32. Feb 24, 2012
    Finally, Minecraft is an original game, with an interesting core gameplay. The player's imagination is the most important thing in the adventure.
    It's a little tiring after a while, but I always end up replaying it at one time or another!
    Minecraft is a good example to prove that game design and imagination is more important than graphics and VFX.
  33. Mar 19, 2012
    Minecraft is a game I love for its simplicity. There's a very loose story, but the world is entirely what you make of it. Considering it's constantly being updated, and the multi-player (though glitchy) is fun. It isn't without it's problems - there are some minor control issues, and the lighting tends to get a little wonked in the Multi. Combat is haphazard, at best - and as I said beforeMinecraft is a game I love for its simplicity. There's a very loose story, but the world is entirely what you make of it. Considering it's constantly being updated, and the multi-player (though glitchy) is fun. It isn't without it's problems - there are some minor control issues, and the lighting tends to get a little wonked in the Multi. Combat is haphazard, at best - and as I said before the story is very loose. The draw for this game is creativity. It will allow you to express yourself. No more, no less. Expand
  34. May 7, 2012
    The game is unfinished, however, I can't help but love this game. The simple yet fun premise, the large open area given to you, and the fact that there is almost no limit to the things you can create. And as much of a sheep as I may sound, I like a game that updates itself like this, it almost never gets old for me and there is always something new. I like this game, it's really fun, IThe game is unfinished, however, I can't help but love this game. The simple yet fun premise, the large open area given to you, and the fact that there is almost no limit to the things you can create. And as much of a sheep as I may sound, I like a game that updates itself like this, it almost never gets old for me and there is always something new. I like this game, it's really fun, I highly recommend it. Expand
  35. May 9, 2012
    Ok, I'll be perfectly honest, Minecraft is not perfect. It is a selective audience, Some people dislike minecraft for various reasons, i.e. They may of not have seen the full experience like multi-player (The best thing in minecraft also), different gamemodes, Or may of not of realized that this game was going to add better mod support or just don't like the gameplay.
    To me, it is an
    To me, it is an addictive game with survival elements, alongside creative and building elements. I'm sure alot of people would agree, but alot more wouldn't. Its a great game though, so give it a chance.
  36. Jun 21, 2012
    I liked this game, everything about your creativity. You can creat everything, and play custom maps which prepared from anyone. There are so many maps created by professionals and I really enjoy to see different things in game. This game is completely different. I'm playing this game since its beta release and I think I'm so lucky. Price is really good for an endless adventure.
  37. Jul 1, 2012
    Minecraft? I call it Minecrack. I started playing in Beta 1.3, and was somewhat deterred by the 8-bit graphics, but after a while of playing and exploring, Minecraft turned out to be the thrill-ride of all games! Do what you want, when you want, how you want. Want to conquer dungeons? No problem! Want to build a castle? Be my guest! Want to open Hell's Kitchen, literally? Have a greatMinecraft? I call it Minecrack. I started playing in Beta 1.3, and was somewhat deterred by the 8-bit graphics, but after a while of playing and exploring, Minecraft turned out to be the thrill-ride of all games! Do what you want, when you want, how you want. Want to conquer dungeons? No problem! Want to build a castle? Be my guest! Want to open Hell's Kitchen, literally? Have a great dinner! The possibilities are endless with Minecraft! What's that? The possibilities have ended, you say? NO PROBLEM! Minecraft has a huge modding community, so why not turn Minecraft into an RPG? What about multiplayer, you ask? With a host of custom server software and a (mostly) friendly community, the sky is the limit! Or you know, you could build over the sky...WELCOME TO MINECRAFT! Believe me, however, Minecraft does has its flaws, mostly around the areas of lag, but other than that, there's nothing else to say! And for $26.00, this is a steal! Buy it now! Expand
  38. Mar 14, 2013
    1. This game is awesome.
    2. Bad graphics? Use a texture pack.
    3. Repetitive gameplay? Get a mod.
    4. The great thing about Minecraft- it can be bended and warped to your will.
    5. This game is awesome.
  39. Jul 19, 2012
    There is not a easy way to describe this - which is much more than a game. Is a game build inside a community based on the internet and exchange of experiences about the game. It's truly approachable to the people who plays it, because it accounts their expectations. It's a sandbox, but is also a resources m anaging game,although it uses doesn't stop there. It's an indie game, and the factThere is not a easy way to describe this - which is much more than a game. Is a game build inside a community based on the internet and exchange of experiences about the game. It's truly approachable to the people who plays it, because it accounts their expectations. It's a sandbox, but is also a resources m anaging game,although it uses doesn't stop there. It's an indie game, and the fact that it doesn't have an tutorial - as some critic once pointed - make sense in a way that's all shared in the internet. It's a game to share with people the achievements, the way of play and, also, is a long experience if you dare to try get inside the multiplayer community and multiplayer servers on-line. With friends and anonymous minecrafters, there's always a new terrain to explore. Expand
  40. Jul 21, 2012
    this game is soooo good. it involves creativity and requires memory. the difficulty is changeable and has good ideas. the crafting table is awesome. defiantly worth your time. NOTE: THIS GAME IS EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE. 10 points XD
  41. Aug 3, 2012
    This game is amazing. I love how you just fall into an unknown world. And the best help is the surrounding community's help; It brings the community closer together. I love the feeling of creating your first house, the pride and feeling of accomplishment! The enemy AI is really cool, especially the creepers. Notch is a really cool guy, and the story of his time making this wonderful gameThis game is amazing. I love how you just fall into an unknown world. And the best help is the surrounding community's help; It brings the community closer together. I love the feeling of creating your first house, the pride and feeling of accomplishment! The enemy AI is really cool, especially the creepers. Notch is a really cool guy, and the story of his time making this wonderful game is truly amazing. The graphics are so simple yet so astounding! I love this game and I can never get sick of it! Although the bugs are pretty annoying, I cannot think of anything else that makes me doubt this game! It's amazing! Expand
  42. Aug 8, 2012
    Minecraft is the best game i´ve ever played i think it is one of the best RPG games that where ever invented once you have mastered the real game you can get mods Best game i´ve ever played
  43. Aug 9, 2012
    If you like creative gaming then you will love this game. Even if you don't there are still plenty of mods to play around with and things like hunger games servers if you don't want to build. This games is half the cost of a normal full retail game and it will last you forever, since its getting updates and an endless stream of mods, custom map, and texture packs. I've had it for 1.5If you like creative gaming then you will love this game. Even if you don't there are still plenty of mods to play around with and things like hunger games servers if you don't want to build. This games is half the cost of a normal full retail game and it will last you forever, since its getting updates and an endless stream of mods, custom map, and texture packs. I've had it for 1.5 years and still play it a lot and it hasn't gotten tiring yet, simply because the is litterally infinite possiblities for mods and over a trillion different worlds that you can spawn in. You can't go wrong with this game. The only bad thing is that it is buggy but these will be fixed. Another good thing is that almost any computer can run it. And if your computer runs it slowly then the optifine mod can make it run faster. This is a game that everyone should have. Expand
  44. Aug 17, 2012
    This is my favorite game of all time. If you ever enjoyed playing with legos, this game is the only one to adequately capture that feeling. Combine that with regular free updates and a huge modding community and there is absolutely no reason why anyone should rate this game poorly. The terrain generator alone can keep you busy exploring your unique world for hours. Multiplayer is evenThis is my favorite game of all time. If you ever enjoyed playing with legos, this game is the only one to adequately capture that feeling. Combine that with regular free updates and a huge modding community and there is absolutely no reason why anyone should rate this game poorly. The terrain generator alone can keep you busy exploring your unique world for hours. Multiplayer is even more fun, because you can build things cooperatively and show them off. As I read some of these negative reviews, I can't help but feel like these people are used to much more linear games and expect minecraft to demand their attention until a set end point like most games do. It does not. Minecraft is less of a "game" to beat and more of a toy, one that you'll keep coming back to again and again if you have any spark of creative spirit. Expand
  45. Aug 17, 2012
    Minecraft's unique idea, makes a wonderful gameplay. Exploration, mining and killing monsters It's fun, bt the creative idea for building is amazing. And the crafting is logically created. The infinite world of Minecraft, lets you explore the unknown. Not only that, but the great idea for mechanics makes you trap some monsters. But, unfortunately, Minecraft doesn't have a tutorial (theMinecraft's unique idea, makes a wonderful gameplay. Exploration, mining and killing monsters It's fun, bt the creative idea for building is amazing. And the crafting is logically created. The infinite world of Minecraft, lets you explore the unknown. Not only that, but the great idea for mechanics makes you trap some monsters. But, unfortunately, Minecraft doesn't have a tutorial (the game, for someone, is hard to learn). 89 out of 100 Expand
  46. Sep 30, 2012
    If I could award a score of 11 I would. Minecraft is in a league of its own and that's because its designer is in a league of his own. Its pure class, coming from a background of games development I can see this for what it truly is and its a masterpiece of fantastic design from start to finish. Its not finished. Perhaps it will never be finished. Try modding skyrim to emulateIf I could award a score of 11 I would. Minecraft is in a league of its own and that's because its designer is in a league of his own. Its pure class, coming from a background of games development I can see this for what it truly is and its a masterpiece of fantastic design from start to finish. Its not finished. Perhaps it will never be finished. Try modding skyrim to emulate minecraft, its not possible as from the beginning Notch had a vision that entailed a world that had depth but also included an amazingly random world. Its open and its above what every developer puts out today, buy it love it or your a slave to the corporations. SUPPORT FOR INDIE DEVS.! Expand
  47. Sep 7, 2012
    Minecraft deserves a 10 out of 10 because its essentially the first of its kind. No other game I have ever played is even remotely similar to Minecraft. The old style of graphics, huge worlds, infinite possibilities of creation, unique enemies that attack at night, farming, mining, swimming, exploring, setting up defenses, etc. This game is a big bundle of random fun. It's also anMinecraft deserves a 10 out of 10 because its essentially the first of its kind. No other game I have ever played is even remotely similar to Minecraft. The old style of graphics, huge worlds, infinite possibilities of creation, unique enemies that attack at night, farming, mining, swimming, exploring, setting up defenses, etc. This game is a big bundle of random fun. It's also an excellent babysitter. Seriously set a kid up in a Minecraft world they wont leave the computer. All jokes aside theres no other game that really intrudes on Minecraft's genre. If I were to define "Sandbox" I would say "Minecraft". On top of being fun in Vanilla this game is veryyyy easily modded. Technic pack is one of my favorites because I don't actually have to mess with Minecraft's files. It creates it's own directory. Although Technic does add a whole new meaning to the word "lost". Overall I've had a lot of fun with my blocky creations and because of an internet cap I can't play multiplayer. (I'm so jealous of unlimited internet... We can only get Verizon's 4g mifi where we live..) Anyways that's my review happy crafting :D! Expand
  48. Sep 28, 2012
    Minecraft is one of my favourite games, but recently it started getting old. If you get bored, play tekkit or if you have friends who play miecraft too, make a modded server. It´s much more fun with mods.
  49. Sep 29, 2012
    There is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing andThere is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing and colossal. If you stop playing Minecraft after this stage then your imagination has nothing to give to this massive world of blocks, filled with possibilities. (Plus there are mods to add to the experience). Expand
  50. Dec 8, 2012
    Minecraft is a great game and is a unique fun experience. for the price you get a massive amount of content (its basically endless) you have to try it out for yourself to really understand what the game is about. there are problems with the game for example, the ending is pretty bad, a game like Minecraft didn't need any type of ending and that one we got was bad. the boss fight was coolMinecraft is a great game and is a unique fun experience. for the price you get a massive amount of content (its basically endless) you have to try it out for yourself to really understand what the game is about. there are problems with the game for example, the ending is pretty bad, a game like Minecraft didn't need any type of ending and that one we got was bad. the boss fight was cool but you could only take on the ender dragon once, it would have been better if you could re fight the boss and maybe get some cool loot like new ender armour. The final problem with the game in my option is the multiplier, it is a pain in the arse to set up, Mojang should try to make the multiplier easy to set up and use. Expand
  51. Mar 26, 2013
    It's a wonderful sight to see another indie game shoot up to the top of the gaming industry, and Minecraft is no exception. This is a definite buy for any gamer, as it provides something unique to the open-world RPG/ adventure genre. The sky is the limit!

Off the mark, most people will know Minecraft for its unique graphical style. Blocks make up every object in this game, and the simple, yet brilliant art-style ties straight into the core gameplay. Running Minecraft is easy- the requirements are extremely low, and with a good gaming PC, I've run this game at well over two-hundred frames per second (that's fast). However: Minecraft is not brilliantly optimised due to its low budget, so expect some very major slowdown when you crank up the settings. 9/10

In the way of story- there is no definite experience. Your story will be personal to you alone, and nobody's adventures will be quite the same, although there isn't a way of tracking what you've done so far by means of recording gameplay, a feature which many people would enjoy. 9/10

The game has a very distinct sound design, which delivers around five or six memorable tracks that play at random intervals. An introduction of some new pieces would be nice to hear, though, as the repeating soundtrack can begin to go stale after a while. Sound effects are also good, but their repetitiveness sours the aural experience a fair amount. 7.5/10

But where Minecraft excels the most is in gameplay. When a player first starts their Survival Mode world, they'll have to chop down trees, craft a crafting table and quickly get to work crafting objects and tools to keep them alive, and safe from the evil enemy "mobs" such as exploding Creepers or bow-wielding Skeletons that attack at night. From here on in, the player is left to do basically anything they want, mining underground for better resources with crafted tools, farming plants and animals to eat and pet, and creating almost anything imaginable with blocks. Minecraft is a completely open world, there for players to explore and adore. 10/10

And if the stellar singleplayer wasn't enough, a multiplayer mode is also available too! This holds the most issues in the game, but will last you even more time. All the servers in Minecraft are private, meaning that you'll have to look up which games are free, type in the IP address of the server, and only then be able to play games. The process is frustrating, and so is making a server (which is free, but needs downloads and looking up to be able to make one), but it pays off when you finally get a game. There are varying player versus player and co-op gametypes that will keep you and your friends entertained together, and all can be found on the Internet. The addition of voice chat would be welcomed, and it isn't yet in the game as of the time this review was written, but a chat bar is sufficient enough. Overall, though, Minecraft is a stand-out multiplayer game. 8.5/10

Altogether, Minecraft is a brilliant must-buy for gamers of any age, and really brings something new to the table. Updates are common, and they give definite improvements every time, the art style is great, the gameplay is unique and the game can literally be played forever. Minecraft easily earns a 9/10.
  52. Jan 1, 2013
    This game is sure to be a standard in video game history. It has no limits, truly, to what you can accomplish. although down the road it does become monotonous and repetitive, the fact that this game is raw creation makes it a very powerful game and tool.
  53. Jan 10, 2013
    Minecraft is everything but vanilla. It's simple and it's a brilliant idea with brilliant gameplay. But vanilla Minecraft only gets boring fast and after you've lost your steam to play this game it's not coming back because it hasn't got anything more to offer. This is where the community comes in and honestly, the community made the game into what it is today. Suddenly it goes beyondMinecraft is everything but vanilla. It's simple and it's a brilliant idea with brilliant gameplay. But vanilla Minecraft only gets boring fast and after you've lost your steam to play this game it's not coming back because it hasn't got anything more to offer. This is where the community comes in and honestly, the community made the game into what it is today. Suddenly it goes beyond brilliant; it's endless now. The texture packs, mods and custom maps spice up the game so much. All those things saved the game for me. This new Minecraft by the community is addictive and the end is still far, far away. The developers of the game deserve respect but they also need to bow down to the people who turned their game into something so incredibly infinite and awesome while giving it the popularity it has today. Expand
  54. Feb 10, 2013
    I started playing Minecraft almost from the start. I enjoyed single-player a lot. After some months of playing, single-player aspect started to get boring. Then I got familiar with huge variety of Minecraft mods. They made the game interesting again. And that is one of the main keys why Minecraft can still be very entertaining for me.
    Of course, time goes by and even mods didn't made
    Of course, time goes by and even mods didn't made single-player interesting. Ithe end Multiplayer is still keeping me playing Minecraft. Multiplayer in Minecraft is really fun to play with others, way funnier than single-player. Bukkit is a good way making your server custom and even more fun.
    Minecraft's community is what makes this game entertaining. I really don't mind how rarely MC updates can sometimes come because I am relying into server plugins and mods.
    Minecraft's gameplay won't lack when you have good community or friends to play with. Even when you are full of resources or you have beaten the ender dragon. There is endless possibilites that you can do next!
    Minecraft is very entertaining game but need's more interesting features into single-player. Minecraft is becoming into just a multiplayer game for me but it's still the same game that I loved when I started to play Minecraft Alpha.
  55. Jun 22, 2013
    I must say this is a very good game, although I wish it would keep some of its features that it had before it realeased, like the terrain, this is a game where can do TONS of things, but when you play it a LOT it starts to get a bit boring
  56. Jan 3, 2014
    Ahhh, Minecraft... you know... all those gamemodes, all those epic constructions, the amazing comunity out there. All that stuff is really awesome. And you can just play with one or two friends on a server made by YOU. Minecraft is an amazing game for 10 years old guys or even for 30 years old men (and woman). It's obviously worth the 19,90$. The only reason I give 9 as score for this gameAhhh, Minecraft... you know... all those gamemodes, all those epic constructions, the amazing comunity out there. All that stuff is really awesome. And you can just play with one or two friends on a server made by YOU. Minecraft is an amazing game for 10 years old guys or even for 30 years old men (and woman). It's obviously worth the 19,90$. The only reason I give 9 as score for this game is because of the development. The game has lots of bugs that the developers know about (their all around minecraft forums). And they just update the game when the discovered bugs reach a critical state. Expand
  57. Jul 20, 2013
    The game was so fun and exciting due to it's endless adventure and creativity.

The Survival Mode-was one of the most players play in minecraft because of the goals to achieve and learn some survival skills. The Creative mode-you can build what ever you like and share your creativity to the rest of the world. The Adventure mode-typically the adventure you will need a map to start
    The game was so fun and exciting due to it's endless adventure and creativity.

The Adventure mode-typically the adventure you will need a map to start the adventure.

The developers provide texture packs so users can customize the texture of the land of minecraft .You can also play online in this game with your friends and the players around the world with the amazing servers.The servers have their own commands and codes for their mini games and other stuffs that you didn't seen on single player.The game also have wild enemies that spawned at night and kill you and destroy your house.The game is almost complete it's update.
  58. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is amazing, with new updates every few months, that get rid of some old bugs. People complain about graphics, but there's more to enjoy, because you can do almost, or a lot of things that you normally wouldn't be able to do in any game you'd find.
  59. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Minecraft is everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory. minecraft has 3 awesome versions: pocket edition,xbox edition and the best of all,minecraft pc. Expand
  60. Dec 5, 2013
    Pros:
    ● Infinite Worlds, wander endlessly, break or place anything, whenever you want, wherever you want.
    ● Always receiving updates, (new stuff being added), thus never becoming old. ● Great Graphics for its genre! ● Challenging in certain aspects. ● Suitable for any age. ● Easy to create a multi-player server and play with friends/ family. ● Plenty of building options ●
    Pros:
    ● Always receiving updates, (new stuff being added), thus never becoming old.
    ● Great Graphics for its genre!
    ● Challenging in certain aspects.
    ● Suitable for any age.
    ● Easy to create a multi-player server and play with friends/ family.
    ● Plenty of building options
    ● Unique from other games, has no story, you make your own story.
    ● Very easy to download and install.

Cons:
    ○ Consumes too much resources on your PC.
    ○ Render Distance is too short.
    ○ Redstone creates lag. (i7 Intel Processors are the best for handling Redstone)

Copy and paste the link in your web browser to download and play the demo:: https://minecraft.net/
  61. Dec 30, 2013
    Pros:
    -If you love a good sandbox game, this is one of the better one's I've played. Open-ended play with the option to change difficulty if you get bored or run into a tight spot with mobs (though I am to understand those players steeped in the world of little pixels find switching to "peaceful" mode an abomination )
    -It's great for kids and adults alike, offering endless gameplay and
    Pros:
    -It's great for kids and adults alike, offering endless gameplay and nearly endless adventure.
    -Updates are usually always improving the game, or fixing bugs and providing new tidbits or items to find
    -Controls are simple on the PC and once you learn it's pretty hard to forget it.
    -You can alter how the game looks, the rendering distance, and most of the usual basic controls of a game.
    -Lots of help can be found on the Minecraftwiki site, among other places, if you find yourself confused about how to craft something or what you should be aiming for next.
    -You can leave this game for a month or for a day, and when you start up again, it's right where you left off and you can usually pick up where you left off.

Cons:
    -There are so many things to do and see, people who are more action-oriented will be disappointed until you can get to the Nether, or face one of the two end bosses' that I'm aware of.
    -Diamond seems, at times, very very hard to find, as it should be; but players might get discouraged after days of spelunking only to come back with a chests' worth of cobblestone.
    -Unless you have a speedy computer, the game can get a little glitchy and slow. The good thing is that there are different rendering options.
    -This can be a time-sink, and at the end of a day's worth of play, you realize you have done nothing in the sometimes less interactive real world. Set a timer or a goal if you're a person who easily falls into hours of gameplay and you have other things to do!

Overall: I love this game, and games like this that are open world. That said, a couple more milestones or achievements to point lost players in the right direction might be helpful to some of the younger players who want to "beat" the game.
  62. Dec 30, 2013
    The game is very fun to play and can become additive spending hours and hours playing it and it never gets boring, get a friend and start building your own world of blocks
  63. Jan 3, 2014
    This is an entertaining, very casual game. There are few limits on what you can do with this game and an Internet connection. Even without the on-line parts of the game, the game can keep you occupied for a long time. The controls are easy to learn, and the game is easy to understand. You are only limited by your imagination.
  64. Mar 29, 2014
    Minecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hardMinecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hard tasks it can feel very rewarding. I also love creative mode because it's the opportunity to go around a create things that are huge and beautiful with almost no limitations; some things in creative do take a long time to make but when I am done they are very rewarding as well. I also love the music in this game and some of the atmospheres; however I will warn you that there are some really creepy things in this game. Overall, Minecraft is a masterpiece! I really wish people wouldn't bash this game just because they may call it too "mainstream" or something like that. The game is great, It also great to come back to this game after not playing it for a while. Trust me, I started playing this game back in 2012 and I am still playing it a lot today in 2014. Expand
  65. Apr 6, 2014
    The ones who say the graphics are bad, well, its your own fault for buying it. Always look at reviews and videos first. The game is meant to be full of pixels like that, its how Mojang intended it to be.
    Anways, this game is great, hours of play. You can say its a sandbox game, but it is not a sandbox, its a toybox! Lots of fun with it!
  66. Apr 29, 2014
    Had this game since Alpha, and it truly is a masterpiece. I've sunk many hours into this game, as each time you play it, it's a different experience. The amount of things you can create and explore are uncountable. A true work of art. Simple yet efficient.
  67. Nov 23, 2014
    This game is brilliant. There is something for everyone, from peaceful building servers to hardcore PvP, which makes your heart race. It's an amazing game.

If you ever get bored, you can add a mod to your game that changes everything.
  68. Nov 21, 2011
    I dont know whats up with the people that is scoring this game 0 because of the graphics. AS far as i know the "my score" slider is to rate the game NOT THE GRAPHICS. Now, people writting about repetitive gameplay... how a sandbox game can be repetitive? only will be repetitive if you want! Why dont you go fishing? hunting? farming? this game isnt about breaking and putting blocks! I likeI dont know whats up with the people that is scoring this game 0 because of the graphics. AS far as i know the "my score" slider is to rate the game NOT THE GRAPHICS. Now, people writting about repetitive gameplay... how a sandbox game can be repetitive? only will be repetitive if you want! Why dont you go fishing? hunting? farming? this game isnt about breaking and putting blocks! I like this game, i play alot and sure, has lots of bugs, but they're working on it. 10/10 hatters gonna hate. Expand
  69. Apr 21, 2011
    The difference between this game and other sandbox games is that you have to work hard to find what your looking for. Sure, you could coat yourself in golden armor and wield a sword of diamond, but you will need to turn an area of land the size of Hawaii to find it all. Which sets it apart from other similar games, with the fact that, while your free to set your own goals in this game,The difference between this game and other sandbox games is that you have to work hard to find what your looking for. Sure, you could coat yourself in golden armor and wield a sword of diamond, but you will need to turn an area of land the size of Hawaii to find it all. Which sets it apart from other similar games, with the fact that, while your free to set your own goals in this game, like in all sandbox games, it isn't all given to you. You feel a great sense of accomplishment when you finish one of the goals you set for yourself. The system of achievements giving you a general idea of what you can do in this game. Let your imagination roam free, just make sure it's back by dark, always be back home by nightfall in Minecraft.

The largest complaint I hear about this game is that the graphic are poor, I could not disagree more. Only the cobblestone texture is poor. Nonetheless, a remedy exists for all graphic centric people, this is called "installing a texture pack". Texture packs are commonly found on the popular Minecraft forums, and there is one for all sorts of tastes, though a nice one to find out what you think looks good in Minecraft is the Painterly Pack (http://painterlypack.net/). The website allows you to customize the various textures in Minecraft, there are at least for different texture options for any given block or item in the game.

I highly recommend you buy this game, though don't be surprised if you fall prey to the "Minecrack" and stay up until 1 A.M. on your search for diamonds.
  70. Apr 21, 2011
    If you need linear gameplay, avoid this game.

If you need pseudo-realistic graphics, avoid this. If you need a plot driven game, avoid this. If you hate being told what to do, this is the game to end all. Don't like the world? make a new, completely random one. Don't like the textures? change them. Bored with mining? take all those blocks and build a ten story tall castle shaped like
    If you need linear gameplay, avoid this game.

If you need pseudo-realistic graphics, avoid this.

If you need a plot driven game, avoid this.

If you hate being told what to do, this is the game to end all. Don't like the world? make a new, completely random one. Don't like the textures? change them. Bored with mining? take all those blocks and build a ten story tall castle shaped like longcat. Bored with the gameplay? install one of the -thousands- of user created mods and play an entirely new game.
  71. Nov 18, 2011
    I found this game a year ago and I'm still playing it. I have my own server with 900 registered players. Playing this game is like playing with LEGO as a child and it's still great game. I hate idiots, who will never play it because it has 8-bit graphics.... MINECRAFT IS BEST GAME EVER!
  72. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is just amazing. It has already been played for a long time and is still fresh due to updates and the limitless creativity it offers. It's something that creative people should not pass! The game also has a great and large community. And, really, it doesn't matter how many times a creeper killed me or ruined my structures. I keep addicted to it. If I had something like a top 100This game is just amazing. It has already been played for a long time and is still fresh due to updates and the limitless creativity it offers. It's something that creative people should not pass! The game also has a great and large community. And, really, it doesn't matter how many times a creeper killed me or ruined my structures. I keep addicted to it. If I had something like a top 100 of games, Minecraft would be surely in the top 5, maybe after the epic Nintendo titles like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Expand
  73. Nov 18, 2011
    Great game overall! Even though metacritic got the release date wrong(supposed to be dated to 11/18 for release date). But great game, with all the monster killing, building, sandbox design, can't wait for more updates to the game itself in the future!
  74. Nov 19, 2011
    One of the best games out there.You have a giant world in which you can do what ever you wish.You can either explore caves and strongholds,build giant sky scrapers,create big farms of sugar cane,or simply wander.
  75. Nov 20, 2011
    Minecraft is a very fun game if your bored or are playing with mates. Everything is repetitive thats why this game will only get an 8 from me. But on the other hand it does have many things to keep you going. In MC you can build and do anything you want which is the fun side, but then once you have built a house and dug a big mine you think to yourself why am I dont this? and then you shutMinecraft is a very fun game if your bored or are playing with mates. Everything is repetitive thats why this game will only get an 8 from me. But on the other hand it does have many things to keep you going. In MC you can build and do anything you want which is the fun side, but then once you have built a house and dug a big mine you think to yourself why am I dont this? and then you shut down your computer and go watch TV. Thats really what Minecraft is in a few hundred words. Minecraft is worth the money if your a sandbox gamer, but your like me and randomly saw yogscast one day and thought cool that look fun then dont buy it because theres two of them and one of you and at the end of the day your a very lonely person standing in a block house hiding from a green block monster at night. Expand
  76. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft is the most addicting game I've ever tried. I have been playing it since alpha, and i will continue to play for the next many years to come.
  77. Nov 19, 2011
    Fast fact: if you rate a game solely on its graphics, you're an idiot. I'm giving it an 8 because while I don't care about graphics in games, the gameplay is solid, sure, but it does get repetitive and boring at times. I played this game non-stop when it was in alpha 1.2.2, and it sure was a lot of fun back then, but when I play it now I just feel boredom. It's a great game to play for theFast fact: if you rate a game solely on its graphics, you're an idiot. I'm giving it an 8 because while I don't care about graphics in games, the gameplay is solid, sure, but it does get repetitive and boring at times. I played this game non-stop when it was in alpha 1.2.2, and it sure was a lot of fun back then, but when I play it now I just feel boredom. It's a great game to play for the first few weeks of owning it, and then you've pretty much done everything there is to do and it's not as enjoyable as it was before. It's fun at first but after a while it's pretty boring, but I'll give it an 8 because it WAS a lot of fun. Expand
  78. Nov 20, 2011
    Yes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the restYes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the rest of the Mojang team for this masterpiece! Expand
  79. Nov 20, 2011
    This game was practically a dream for me. As a kid I loved building with Legos, made towns and loved using my imagination to add in stories for things. This is precisely what Minecraft lets you do better than any Lego game out there right now. When you start it can be a little overwhelming, and can seem a bit complicated, but you learn, you master your environment, and you build. InThis game was practically a dream for me. As a kid I loved building with Legos, made towns and loved using my imagination to add in stories for things. This is precisely what Minecraft lets you do better than any Lego game out there right now. When you start it can be a little overwhelming, and can seem a bit complicated, but you learn, you master your environment, and you build. In single player it can get a bit lonesome, but if you find a great group of people to play with online there will always be new things to explore, and occasionally surprises (good and bad) left for you to find at your houses. The charming looks, rather amazing landscapes you can find, and the expandability provided by a supportive fan-base will keep you entertained for a while assuming you don't need to see blood and gore every few minutes to keep your attention.

I would like to address some of the ridiculous low scores some users gave the game. Reading through some there appear to be 2 major complaints, one being entirely illegitimate to me. Graphics. This really boils down to an argument the art community had some time ago, something that impressionism annihilated. In order to look good things do not need to strive for photo-realism. If you keep your aesthetic consistent which Minecraft does very well, things will look great even when full of blocks. It all just adds to the core mechanic of the game, you are in a world of building blocks, go build!
    There is also the trend of those siting graphics for not liking the game actually admit to not trying it purely because of the looks.

The second major complaint is that after a while it gets boring. This can be true but is this not true of all games? For me I keep coming back and making new worlds. I do believe you will get your money's worth of playtime out of the game before becoming bored.

All in all I will say this is a game for those with imagination, those who want to see themselves as the last knights of a kingdom long since overrun by undead and explosive creeper hoards, and gathering the last of their resolve strive to survive and rebuild the kingdom that was lost. Or may be you just wanna run a weird hotel in the middle of the ocean with pig riding out back, whatever floats your boat :-p
  80. Nov 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most addicting games EVER. I have not stopped playing this game since it came out in beta. with the new 1.0.0 update this game is better than ever with potion brewing and a new realm with a final dragon boss to fight. I have also bought this game for the Ipod, which works like creative mode. This game is one of the best I have ever played. 10/10 Expand
  81. Nov 21, 2011
    Amazing. Only word that can describe this game to its fullest. Do you want free world and do-what-you-want style of gameplay? Do you want endless fun? Do you want quality spent time? This game is just what you might be searching for! When I first played it, I was not very impressed in any part. But after youtube-ing some videos and playing it for few hours, I got mildly addicted. Now, 1Amazing. Only word that can describe this game to its fullest. Do you want free world and do-what-you-want style of gameplay? Do you want endless fun? Do you want quality spent time? This game is just what you might be searching for! When I first played it, I was not very impressed in any part. But after youtube-ing some videos and playing it for few hours, I got mildly addicted. Now, 1 year later, I have spent more than 750 hours playing the game, and hell, it was well worth it. Buy it. Only thing that really needs to be said. Magnificent! Expand
  82. Feb 20, 2011
    One of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vastOne of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vast landscape consisting of different 'blocks' of materials that you can cut and shape into tools and building supplies. The only other creatures you see on your horizon (the gameworld is reported to be about eight times the size of the earth) are assorted animals such as pigs and cows. In the first few minutes of gameplay, you start to notice the sun moving across the sky, and it occurs to you that it will soon be getting dark. And this is where Minecraft can turn from a simple looking Lego game with cute quacking ducks into something that is about to scare the hell out of you.

As darkness settles, you can see 'things' shuffle along the beach towards you, making growling noises. Arrows start flying at you from skeleton archers. It occurs to you that spending the afternoon and early evening exploring your world was possibly not the most productive use of your time. Building a shelter close to where you initially spawned is the first order of business. And this is where the 'mine' and 'craft' come in.

By chopping down a tree with your hands, you can get wood. With wood you can create a workbench to make tools such as an pick, axe or sword. Once you have a pickaxe, you can tackle harder materials like stone or iron by digging into the earth or chipping away at cavern walls. And with these better materials, you can use your workbench to make stronger tools, weapons and armor. By the time the moon comes up on your first night, you won't have time to make an impregnable castle fortress, but at least you should be able to put up four walls and make a door, windows and roof. In the morning, the monsters that kept you a prisoner in your home at night burn up from the morning's sun, making it safe once again to explore.

This when when you'll start to figure out that better materials are buried at deeper levels. And shortly after that, you'll realize that deep in your mine (or anywhere that lacks a light source) the monsters are waiting for you. There is genuine fear of being killed, because if you are it means you drop all of items you were holding, carrying or wearing at that spot, and you re-start at your initial spawn point that could be miles away, assuming you can even remember where that was.

Minecraft offers addictive gameplay mixed with creativity. Later, as you progress through the game (there aren't any 'levels', you just craft better weapons and items) you can aid your exploring by making boats, a compass that always points toy your spawn area, a watch (so you know if it's dark when you emerge from your mine), even to a minecart rail system! With a strong sword and good armor, you're now able to defend yourself from *most* monsters (called MOBS), allowing you to focus on building whatever you want. I recommend you check out a few Youtube videos of what people with time and imagination can come up with. For really large projects, such as a life-size USS Enterprise... this is where the multiplayer aspect of the game really shines.

Together, a group on a server can build entire cities. Players can download or create their own player skins to maintain a bit of style while swinging that diamond pick-axe to bore through tunnels that run under the ocean. Servers can chose to offer players any materials they need to aid in the construction. Again, check online to see just what is possible! Online games also allow you to build without fear of Mobs, which at that point really turns the game into a sim builder.

The game also features different climates, so you might spend one day on a sunny beach, and the next hiking across a mountain through the snow. You can explore (and create) lava pools, waterfalls, and occasionally you'll stumble across dungeons. These have chests with loot in them, and a spawn cage that creates the Mobs (there's seven different ones, but I've chosen not to mention one in particular that will eventually give you nightmares). Using torches that you create from wood sticks and coal (of course) keep you from being in the dark underground, and if you surround a Mob spawn cage with torchlight, it will remain safely dormant.

Expect to lose yourself in this game for many, many hours. Minecraft (still in beta) is currently about $15, so get in while it's still half price. Beta simply means it's still under development, so items are constantly being added. Great value indeed!
  83. Nov 20, 2011
    Minecraft has been an insanely popular first person sandbox ever since it gained mainstream popularity, during it's Alpha and Beta releases. Now with the final version out, a review can be done.
    The graphical style of Minecraft is pretty inspired by retro games, what with it's emphasis on blocks. It won't require the holiest of graphics cards, but that doesn't mean the game looks bad. In fact, the game can prove that good graphics aren't needed to make a beautiful looking game. You start off each world with three modes; Survival, Creative and Hardcore. Survival tasks you with surviving the world of Minecraft and progressing through a very light 'campaign'. It is more survival like than it's biggest rival Terraria, but don't expect to go all Bear Grylls. Hardcore Mode, however, tasks you with surviving even more than Survival; you get one life (meaning once you die, the world gets deleted, almost similar to Terraria) and you are stuck on the hardest difficulty.
    Creative is where Minecraft can show it's true colours. Creative Mode gives you all the items available in the game (with an infinite supply), unlimited health and the ability to fly and destroy blocks with one hit. Minecraft has shown that the possibilities of what you can do are almost endless. You can make anything from a 1:1 scale, fully functional space-ship, to pixel art of Rainbow Dash. There is also a very heavy modding scene in the game, with custom maps, texture packs and even mods that add more features to the game. However, the game isn't without it's faults. Unless you give yourself a goal, the game could turn out getting stale after a while. There's only so many times one can venture into a dungeon and have an epic battle with spiders. Also, the game still feels like a beta. A late beta, but a beta nonetheless. Multiplayer isn't polished yet and don't expect the single player experience to be flawless. Despite this, Minecraft is worth your time, if you have any. At almost £17, it can seem a bit steep for what you get initially, but this game can offer much more content than even a £40/£50 game.
  84. Nov 20, 2011
    Very Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, youVery Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, you dont end your journey! this game had me pre-occupied for hours upon hours This is truly and amazing adventure. BUT, it could be better. until it gets some sort of goal that needs achieving, such as a campaign, then that one point shall rest with me. I have faith, however, that soon enough there will a story line waiting for us. Expand
  85. Nov 24, 2011
    An amazing game and technical achievement that is sure to inspire the industry for years to come. There is an impressive amount of things you can do in Minecraft yet there are times where you can get bored of building something and have nothing else to do. I want to give it 10 but the lack of alternative challenges makes me quit the game all too often out of boredom.

It is really a game

It is really a game that get better the more people you are playing with as when team work and cooperation are involved it adds a lot to the gameplay.
  86. Nov 20, 2011
    Fun and original. I have spent many hours building and exploring these randomly generated worlds. And with the ongoing improvements, I keep coming back for more .
  87. Jan 7, 2011
    very addictive, very user friendly, no restrictions apart from the borders of the map and how much your mind can create... what more could you want???
  88. May 16, 2011
    Sandbox is a word that gets thrown around too much with games, however, Minecraft is truly a video game version of a sandbox. The limits to this game are only your imagination and time, as you can literally build anything and everything you can think of in this game. Now, I know that being in Beta, we are only touching the tip of the iceberg, but I would truly recommend this game toSandbox is a word that gets thrown around too much with games, however, Minecraft is truly a video game version of a sandbox. The limits to this game are only your imagination and time, as you can literally build anything and everything you can think of in this game. Now, I know that being in Beta, we are only touching the tip of the iceberg, but I would truly recommend this game to anyone with an imagination and a whole bunch of free time. Expand
  89. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a game that grabs you or revolts you. Of course, I can see how many people dislike how simple and dull the game may look. But too all of you who complain about the game's look, I say: Go back to playing Crysis. If you like hyper realistic but bland and repetitive games, fine. But don't dare to touch this gem of a game with your greasy, filthy hands, you spoiled, snotty kid!Minecraft is a game that grabs you or revolts you. Of course, I can see how many people dislike how simple and dull the game may look. But too all of you who complain about the game's look, I say: Go back to playing Crysis. If you like hyper realistic but bland and repetitive games, fine. But don't dare to touch this gem of a game with your greasy, filthy hands, you spoiled, snotty kid!
    Minecraft is simply the sandbox genre in it's purest form (yet). There is simply no limit to this game, literally and figuratively; the world you walk around in is endless, as is the creativity of both the player and the community (in the form of mods and custom maps).
    I have been playing this game endlessly, alone, with friends or on a big server with dozens of co-builders. There are no clans, no pvp maps, no strategic games... unless you want it to be.
    Whether you like to fight, build or socialize, it's all possible, because everything is possible in Minecraft.
  90. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft.I thought what the hell is this when i first heard that name.Minecraft is a game for people with an imagination,If you cant make fun out of it you cant really understand the game.Minecraft is an unlimited sandbox survival game with great controls, adequate content, And below Par graphics. First of all the controls are wonderful. The W A S D keys mouse and space bar work perfectMinecraft.I thought what the hell is this when i first heard that name.Minecraft is a game for people with an imagination,If you cant make fun out of it you cant really understand the game.Minecraft is an unlimited sandbox survival game with great controls, adequate content, And below Par graphics. First of all the controls are wonderful. The W A S D keys mouse and space bar work perfect for this kind of game. The content is unfinished, Even though the official release was passed the game is still in need of quite a few updates, Which Markus Persson (Founder) has said are coming. The graphics are great for this style of game BUT there are quite a few lightning glitches and invisible block glitches that come with the game. This is why i am giving the game an 8, Its still not done! and i do think the game can be improved a lot.But even though Minecraft is a great game, Any undecided gamer should definitely buy it. Expand
  91. Dec 23, 2010
    Even if the graphics aren't that good, this game will keep you on the computer for hours! The environment is very well done and the music very soothing and sometimes creepy. Minecraft might be a simple game, but it still can scare the living daylights out of you when you listen to the sounds emitted by the unfriendly monsters that roam the world when night comes.
  92. Jan 1, 2011
    An addictive, simple, yet beautiful game. If you are someone who judges a game by it's graphics, then you will probably dislike this game. However every gamer knows not to judge a game by it's graphics, as a game can be rewarding in different ways, and indeed Minecraft is. A tiny sized game, that has huge potential, and is going to take the world by storm.
  93. Mar 25, 2011
    A great game to build, get together, and survive.

It has two game types so far; Survival (with multiplayer) and Classic. Classic is a building game-mod and is free to play. Survival is not free but has way more options than classic.

You have limitless possibility's to what you want to build or do on minecraft.

I recommend this game to almost everyone.
  94. Apr 21, 2011
    Minecraft is the best game I have played in years! Having just taken out a 6 month sub playing Rift (which Iâ
  95. Nov 21, 2011
    Why does this game get 10 points from me? It's obviously neither graphically nor technologically advanced, nor even up to current standards. That said, it is one of very few recent games that were not a re-hash of something that was already popular, with slightly new story and slightly better visual effects. While most of the industry is stagnating and even top titles rarely bringWhy does this game get 10 points from me? It's obviously neither graphically nor technologically advanced, nor even up to current standards. That said, it is one of very few recent games that were not a re-hash of something that was already popular, with slightly new story and slightly better visual effects. While most of the industry is stagnating and even top titles rarely bring something new to the table, Minecraft is (reasonably - it's also not an entirely origianl idea) new experience at a much lower price tag than the industry standard re-hashes. Even in the same genre, where other survival games mostly focus on surviving against hordes of enemies, Minecraft's approach is refreshingly different. Where else can you build elaborate machinery to do the slaughtering for you and automated forts that offer safe harbor? Even if you only play it in the recently released creative mode, it's the digital box of legos that you always wanted but that, somehow, Lego themselves never really got around to making. Expand
  96. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing Sandbox-Game. You need to play it and get into it, in order to understand it. If you think this Game is silly, ugly, or old, you probably haven't tried it yet.
  97. Nov 23, 2011
    Addictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and hasAddictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and has limitless things to do, great value well worth the price. Expand
  98. Jan 22, 2011
    Enjoy it while you can. This game was and still is incredible, but I get the feeling that it's slipping. The creator, Notch, is a failure of a programmer who should win the prize for the most inefficient coding that has graced this Earth. The core of this game is poorly coded, but Notch chose to ignore it and continue coding to the point where it's too late to do anything about it.

Other

Other than that, it's an excellent game with a wonderful concept, but it's only set to get worse as far too many features will be added and will mar the initial charm of the game. (Dragons!? Wtf!? You trying to ruin this game!?) It's a shame the 'engine' for this game is far too poorly coded to be released with an SDK. It would have made this game incredible. My solution? Recode the whole damn thing now, before it get's any worse!
  99. Jun 30, 2011
    Minecraft is so interesting and original that it makes me piss blood. It is the definition of a game which is not overrated at all. I have aspersers and am a fat autistic neck beard.
    Luckily the game is filled with novelty. While most games these days have sickeningly horrid graphics filled with realism. I have NEVER loved a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just perfect. I mean for starters you can give this game a perfect score, it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year and thatâ
  100. Nov 23, 2011
    This game deserves a ten - not because it is perfect - but because it is perfectly addictive and the best example of substance over style when creating a fun and emnminently replayable game. I too have been playing since the alpha and have only scratched the surface of all that there is to do and that I want to do in the game! This game also is super friendly to modders who will continueThis game deserves a ten - not because it is perfect - but because it is perfectly addictive and the best example of substance over style when creating a fun and emnminently replayable game. I too have been playing since the alpha and have only scratched the surface of all that there is to do and that I want to do in the game! This game also is super friendly to modders who will continue to transform this game into new and amazing things long after Notch and his team has put his final touch on it. If I was not at work right now - I would not be writiing this review - I would be at home playing this game. Expand
  101. Nov 26, 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]