7.4

1. Jun 27, 2014
    I have very mixed opinons about this game. when I first got it, I got sucked into server play. then I tried the singleplayer and I got thru 1 hour before falling asleep. this game has amazing multiplayer because of servers and stuff but I never play splayer. and I got bored of the game . after a few months. now I only play it because of mods but that doesn't count as the real game. if you don't have minecraft then I'm fine with that and I only recommend it for the mods and the multiplayer servers. also if you want a fresh take on a mining game (that is not nearly a rip-off of minecraft) you should try terraria if you can enjoy a 2D game. oh yeah, also minecraft only has 2 bosses which gets really old quick. mojang please add more to this game to make it be worth 28$. or just lower the price. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2014
    Ehh i have to say this game was PERFECT until 1.8 patch. The added all RPG and **** stuff wich completly destroyed the feeling of minecraft. It was a great, simple and FUN game. Now? It's stupid, boring and completly not fun game..
  3. Jun 6, 2014
    They are wasting my time, as a server owner, trying to get all my plugins ready for the UUID change, they have been planning this for over 2 years now, and it takes 2-3 months, and there is no update still, the community is also falling in the gutter.
  4. May 27, 2014
    Possibly the most overrated game of all time, it has nothing new ever, it has boring gameplay, stupid AI (even for a game that kids can play) and the same thing that is the opposite of fun Mining and Creating, it is the same all the time, if you want to draw create or whatever just draw with pencil and paper instead of £17 of boredom, also GMod is way better than this, if you think this has lots to do, it hasn't compared to GMod (Garry's Mod) Expand
  5. May 12, 2014
    The 1.8 "adventure" update was this games downfall, they took a sandbox game, and attempted to turn it into a rollplay game. The only thing it achieved was making me quit Minecraft, sad to see such a great game get buried under the dirt.
    Edit: Apparently they made it so you can revert to the old, better versions of Minecraft. So that's a plus! Upped my rating from a 1 to a 2.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    My computer hyperventilates more often playing Minecraft than it does Mirror's Edge. My brain can't stand to have the same activity repeated every time I start up the game. I can't stand the community,"YOLO SWAG! YOU HACKER! STOP HACKING! STRAFING IS A GREAT STRATEGY! I HAVE NO LIFE! BUTTER IS GOLD! I'M SUICIDAL!" Worst of all, my friends ONLY have Mindcrap, so they beg me to play. Survival games. "PVP." The only two activities they enjoy on this game. Most people only like Minecraft because it's the only game they have. I got my friend Garry's Mod, AND HE NEVER PLAYS IT! WHEN HE DOES, HE DOES FOR FIVE MINUTES, THEN GOES AND PLAYS "SURVIVAL GAMES"! I could rant and rave all day about this game, but I'm tired and going insane from my Minecraft player friend. Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2014
    Wow, this game really restricts your creativity. I mean, all you can make are giant penises. I haven't jerked off in about two years because I'm so sick of seeing penises. I'm even afraid of my own penis now. I haven't changed pants in about ten years. Well, I guess I'm gonna go play some DickCraft. See ya big boy.
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    Useless. Just one word to describe it. Is a game that can entertain you for 3/4 hours before that you realize that your life can go on without build cubic virtual houses in mud and crap.
  9. Feb 22, 2014
    Ah, good old Minecraft... I honestly don't know where to start with this one. Discussing Minecraft in a negative manner is extremely dangerous thanks to the amount of drooling drones that will defend this game to their last breath. Hmm... Well, let's break this review up into multiple categories.

1. Graphics
    This is a very subjective and sensitive topic to elaborate on. It all comes
    down to your personal opinion. Some people like Minecraft's 'retro' graphical style, and some people say it's disgusting. But games aren't all about the graphics, right? Well, maybe for some people... Don't worry though, the vast modding community surrounding the game has come up with many fantastic texture mods to suit your needs. Hell, you can even make a texture mod yourself if you wanted to. Personally, I think the original textures look bland and boring, but I digress...

2. Sound
    The sound design for Minecraft is nothing short of a masterpiece. Whether smashing a block, or listening to the game's soundtrack, you'll instantly be satisfied. I haven't found one person that doesn't like Minecraft's vast soundtrack. It has a calm and soothing tone to it. Sometimes you'll hear creepy cave wind sounds when mining, or hear running water when near a stream. It's definitely one of the better things about Minecraft. There are many different sounds modifications as well.

3. Gameplay
    Minecraft's simplistic nature is what makes it so easy to pick up and play. Well, when you learn the different crafting recipes of course. But this fact is also it's greatest downfall... After you've conquered every dungeon and cave, found every mineral and treasure, and built your own little town, there's not much left to do. The game has no plot or purpose, it's just kind of there for you to paint your own world on the canvas of your own choosing. I'm simply saying after doing this same process over and over, it starts to grow on you. It becomes less and less exciting for every diamond or rare goodie you find. Don't worry though, there's tons of mods to keep you interested, right? Eh, most of the mods are focused on making the game even easier than it already is so... it's a mixed bag. It all comes back to your own opinion.

4. Community
    This goes without saying... Minecraft's community is horrible. Lemme give you some insight on what kinds of 'people' I've come across.

A. Extremely immature children that think they know everything and anything about the world.
    B. Teenagers that have no life outside of coming home from school and sitting on their computer.
    C. Adults in their 30s and 40s that haven't quite grown up yet.
    D.(EXTREMELY RARE) All around good people that respect fellow players and the game itself.

So yeah, another mixed bag... Eh, this topic is pretty pointless. It'll only serve to get more mindless drones to thumb down this review because they can't accept the truth.

Conclusion...
    All in all, this game is not horrendously bad... It has it's flaws, but let's be honest... The only thing that has kept this game afloat in recent years is the vast modding community that adds new content regularly. The original developers, Mojang, have become greedy and lazy, and are just letting the community do their work for them. The only thing they seem to add to the game are more bugs and glitches. I am appalled at the childish behavior by the main developers on social media sites... But the matter of the fact is, money changes people. It makes them evil. That's a fact we can all agree on...

Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate you taking time out of your day for my review. To all the mindless drones, go ahead and thumb this down into oblivion. I really don't care.

-Starkiller94
  10. Feb 16, 2014
    A once fantastic game, Minecraft over the time has hit a sudden decline every since certain things were added, removed, and changed. Some for the better, and for the worst. Some like it, others do not but I'm in the middle, a decline from when I first played it---which was a 9.
  11. Jan 26, 2014
    The game started out fine, don't get me wrong. But as it updated more and more and more, it became clear that this game is just a cash cow. There is nearly no actual new content in these updates and it's pretty horrible, really. The only good thing about this game is the building aspect. To say that Terraria is a shameless Minecraft ripoff is an insult to humanity.

This is without a
    doubt the most overrated game of all time and if you want an actually, you know, FUN game, check out Terraria. It's cheaper and still better in pretty much every aspect, except that it's 2D except of 3D but that isn't necessarily bad. Expand
  12. Jan 25, 2014
    I loved Minecraft 2009-2011, but then the community peed on me. On me and a lot of other players. It got demolished by these "youtube stars". Stars, but about to go supernova. Please, stop, its disgusting. About the game, it was fine until you play a lot of it, not its so horrible. Best was around 1.8, then it was ****
  13. Jan 22, 2014
    How this crap is getting such scores. It doesn't have plot, graphics are **** (I mean really ****), don't know about soundtrack (if there is any), but **** me, there is only gameplay. I am giving 0/10 just to bring the balance, it should have 60/100 score.
  14. Jan 19, 2014
    GAME ON Paracha ZAHUYACHENA JAVA SCRIPT **** DEVELOPERS HUESOSY the game is played only schoolchildren and pirates!! READ BIBORAN SHAME! **** game! shame!**** game! shame!**** game! shame!**** game! shame!
  15. Jan 5, 2014
    Minecraft is an unoriginal game that made millions. I mean, what game have you NOT seen that evolves placing blocks? The combat is broken, with you having no hands, no polished feel to it (all you do is spam the left click button), and the AI for enemy's is retarded. All they do is walk up to you and do damage with no animation, and if you place a block in front of them, they just stay there stuck. Another thing bad about Minecraft is that if you want to host a server, YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD A SEPARATE PROGRAM. You have to download the java server file, and drag and drop and make folders... IT'S SO HARD TO MAKE A SERVER! Why didn't Notch the fat man just put the server maker in the game? Also, with the Minecraft multiplayer, ALL Triple A servers BEG YOU to pay VIP which can cost to about $20-$50.
    With VIP, you gain an overpowered advantage to player who play free, by getting overpowered weapons, overpowared armor, that stuff. BUT. If you are VIP, you are allowed to KICK somebody OFF the server so you can join! Fat pigs.
  16. Jan 4, 2014
    Minecraft gets really boring after a few hours. Without any objective given, you quickly lose interest in playing. The developers don't even care about the game and the community has to make mods in order to give it some variety. Also, the combat is horrible, you can't talk to NPC's, enemy AI is garbage and building structures becomes tedious after a while.

Minecraft is terribly
    overrated and Youtube is polluted with videos of little kids making Let's Plays of this game in hope to earn a quick buck from subscriptions. A shameless ripoff of Infiniminer and doesn't do anything original or interesting to be considered worth playing. Expand
  17. Jan 3, 2014
    This is a game the same way lego is a game- meaning, it isn't. This is a building simulation which is ultimately the most overrated game of the decade. Graphics, controls, and UI are all absolutely horrid- but it's an indie sandbox, so naturally that's enough for those who hate anything made by a big company to love it. If this game was made by EA, every person praising it would instead be talking about how horrible it is. Too bad this era's of gamers are more interested in gaming politics than they are in actual games.

And queue the flood of terrible but cheap or free indie games.
  18. Nov 3, 2013
    (Caution everyone who dislikes this is a 4-10 year old)

Now, where can even start? First of all Graphics are horrible. Second of all gameplay: NONE. 3rd of all the community is 4-10 year olds. SERIOUSLY, OVER 7 MILLION KIDS PLAY MINECRAFT. I could say over a billion bad things about this game. This game deserves a worse score than roblox.
  19. Nov 1, 2013
    This is the most overrated game I have ever played. It quickly got boring after a while. I swear, this is not where creation games should go. And the fanbase of this game is worse than the fanbase of CoD hating on every person who gives even the smallest disliking to this game. And worst of all, the terrible YouTube channels like SkyDoesMinecraft make this game worse.
  20. Oct 27, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is not much fun in a world where you are the only one to appreciate it. Combat is another big weakness. There are essentially only two ways to attack enemies: melee attacks and bows. All weapons in the game have the same "attacks" so combat is the same formula throughout the game, you just don't have many options. This all might have been tolerable if the game had a pleasant atmosphere, but with graphics that I personally don't think look good, and a lack of good music, the game is not fun to spend time in. If it had better physics, more combat options (like magic), and more "progression" the game would be fun for single player, but as it is now it's really just a sandbox building game with some survival, exploration, and combat elements tacked on. Expand
  21. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is horrible, let me first start by saying the graphics are just HORRIBLE, and the game is way too overpriced. The only thing you can do in this game is place stupid blocks. Combat is also boring, there are no animatons and the sound effects are horrible. 0 out of 10
  22. Aug 29, 2013
    Ugh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft community consists of under aged immature kids. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    The game is HIGHLY overrated. The gameplay is repetitive and not very exciting. The concept of endless building is great, but you can also have the same amount of fun by playing with Legos. Minecraft is loosing respect fast by older fans, and the developers should do something to win them back.
  24. Aug 17, 2013
    Now my old review for Minecraft I gave the game a 5/10 now it get's a flipping 0/10 for being one of my most hated games. First of all what makes Minecraft suck are the developers. Notch the original creator of Minecraft made many promises about things he was going to add to Minecraft. He fulfilled 1/100 of those promises and than gave it to Jeb so he didn't have to take the blame for it. Than we have the new owner of Minecraft Jeb. Jeb completely ruined the game by adding all this new stuff that made the game look and feel worse. Everything went downhill from 1.8 and Jeb has only made it fall at a rapid rate. The game was not complete when released. It had little content and looked horrid compared to what it use to look like. Now we get rare updates that add more adventure qualities to a CREATIVE game! Look at the new update for example it added horses and that's about it and how long did it take them like an entire 2 months. This game is a sorry excuse for a game and I wish to see it burn! Minecraft is now a PvP game with terrible combat! 0/10 Expand
  25. Jul 31, 2013
    I hate how biased critics are now. They give everything a good review. And this is one circumstance where it deserves nothing. This is probably the most overrated game of all time. It's boring and every person who thinks it's good has either no taste or is under the age of 13. I don't care if the graphics are bad, that's a dumb thing to care about in a game, but Minecraft is so boring and repetitive, I can't even play it for more than 10 minutes without being bored. There really is no point to playing the game. It's weird. A game without a purpose for playing. Notch got lucky with this game. If he put it out 10 years ago it would have gone nowhere. It's overrated and not worth anyone's money. Expand
  26. Jul 31, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it. I installed many mods because the alpha was just too boring with lack of content. Because of all the updates Minecraft got, I just didn't saw much improvement and most of the popular mods didn't got updated anymore. Also installing them became harder. I gave up on Minecraft, just because it's lack of weapons and armor, unoriginal enemys besides the creeper... It's boring. If Mojang just could add many things from the popular mods, it would be so much better. Expand
  27. Jul 26, 2013
    After all the hype I finally decided to try out the demo, and.. it's crap. My first impression is that it's a super low-budget, pointless and unplayable game. Ugly cubical graphics. Lack of instructions whatsoever. Clumsy controls. The only things i understood were that you can create some items from other items after you press E. And that you can hit mobs by left clicking.
    The game lags
    on my laptop where I could run World of Warcraft at high graphics settings this is totally inexcusable given it's absurdly low budget graphics.
    No matter what you heard about Minecraft, try the demo before buying! And since you won't like the demo, don't buy it.
    And instead of saying that I am an ignorant newbie who doesn't want to understand some depths of this game, please introduce proper instructions tutorial to just let the player know about the depth, if there is any..
  28. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Boring game without any interesting updates. We have a promise from Mojang about new Mod API, new animals, adventure mode etc but we didn't get any new features apart from useless horses. It was revolution before, but now Mojang broken their nice game to something which is rubbish and boring.
  30. Apr 29, 2013
    The worst game ever created. The graphics: must I explain? They are lazy and terrible beyond the appropriate words I am going to use in this review. The combat sucks. The building is decent at best. The enemy AI is horrible. The friendly AI is horrible. The developers spend more time using their ocean of money and playing April fools jokes than updating the game. What does this god forsaken game have? The answer is simple: Nothing. Play a much better copy, or better sandbox games like ROBLOX and Terraria. This hellhole mess should be destroyed on sight. Expand
  31. Apr 10, 2013
    Horrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers are terrible at optimizing the game. The AI in general is terrible and you can hardly consider it AI at all. Zombies run at you and attack you with no pattern. Skeletons shoot you and do nothing else. They have no death animations. You can hardly interact with villagers. Infact, villagers were pointless from the beginning, as when they were added they just came with some randomly spawned village that you couldn't do anything to but destroy or modify. They don't talk. All they do is move around a little and stare at you. The fact that this game got a rating almost as good as Bioshock Infinite makes me sad. The fact that this game got more than a mixed rating makes me sad. Expand
  32. Mar 29, 2013
    i have played the game, OH YEA i have played this game. it was fun. FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES. i liked modding and the game overall was pretty decent. till now. almost nothing useful has been added, only some serious useless no body's interested of. and this is an overrated piece of garbage anyway, so i say you mojang and your STUPID, OVER RATED trash. period!
  33. Feb 14, 2013
    minecraft is a fun game to dip into a few times but it lacks the depth of other games for example after 30 minutes of exploring you realise that there is not much to it and i guess after that it just becomes boring
  34. Feb 1, 2013
    I was always hearing my friends say "oh minecraft is so awesome i love it" so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad if everyone said that BOY was I wrong, I started out trying survival mode I got bored of that in 5 minutes and the crafting system was so different that i had to look up how to craft things because there was no tutorial or anything to tell you ANYTHING about the game.then i decided i would try creative mode and make some stuff and it is not a bad game if you want to do that but i went back to terraria in 40 min because that actually has good combat also i couldn't play with my friend because it was so hard to figure out his REAL IP address and join it all in all i wish i could get my 20$ back Expand
  35. Jan 20, 2013
    Over hyped and designed carelessly, Minecraft may be an icon to the indie gaming industry, but it is not gaming perfection by any means.

Part sandbox game. Part strategy. Part... clicking over and over until your mouse button is worn and your finger hurts. As more Minecraft clones appear, to bank in on the game's success, we see copy-cat developers actually better certain aspects of the
    game in their own redesigns. Even now, the developers behind Minecraft seem to be blindly throwing in new ideas hoping to improve the game by adding to the pile of so-so concepts.

Minecraft certainly wasn't the first block-building indie game, and still not the best. But its combination of monsters, mining, and crafting seems to have hooked a hit with the gaming crowd, in a burst of luck and overexposure through social media. Minecraft has its moments of fun, but is a complete bore without multiplayer interaction. The construction system is reasonably lack-luster and the mining system very much feels like a mind-rotting chore than a fun gaming experience. The crafting system redeems the game, barely holding game play together.

The visuals, though cute, also feel too basic. Is the pixel style an intentional design, or just a half-baked cover up for cheap 3D graphics?

Its too expensive for what it is, and as a sandbox game is reasonably lackluster. Exploration and crafting seem to be the best aspects of Minecraft. Everything in between is a fragile experience.
  36. Jan 14, 2013
    5sec played, and deleted! BAD game with bad graphic! Also Bad AI( "While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam" good word bro! Good idea...but... bad(
  37. Dec 30, 2012
    I baught this game about 2 years ago. I loved every secound of it, i could never wait to get out of scool just to play it! i wanted to do everything, collect every block, kill every zombie, sheep, spider, craft everything, build a cool house and i did! but there was something that allways made me stop playing. something that made me loose intrest. I ussaly started a new game every time i played but i never knew why... now i know. this game is pointless. there is no point in anything you do. you can kill all the zombies collect all the blocks build as many houses as you want but it will now feel rewarding in any way. it seems that most people look at the ultamate goal of this game to collect damounds. and what do you do with them? MAKE A FREAKING DIAMOUND PIC? and what do you do after that? look for more diamounds. that's all there was to this game just collect stuff. there was little no notheng you could do with all the most rare things like gold, iron and diamounds besides buiding more tools to get more diamounds. but they've updated the game a lot but it fells like every update has made the game easier! the hunger gave you regenerating hp the sprinting made it possible to run from spiders the armor update made the armor last at least 10X more and the list goes on. even with all these updates there is still notheng to do in this game. all you do is collect rare items. it's sad rly that this game is so popular. i'm gona talk about some of the updates: the enchantment table interduced an rpg element to the game where by you kill enemys and anamals and get ep to gain levels. you use the levels to upgrade you weapons and armor but this is so pointless it's sad. the only way to level up is to grind zombie after zombie, skellaton after skellaton ec. and what do you get fro this grind? better gear. what's the point? you are able to defend your self just fine without enchantments and there is not rly any monster you need to fight. keep in mind it's hard to explain why this game is so bad and i'm trying to explain it as best i can. there is also multyplayer but that's just as pointless. in multyplayer you are just doing the same pointless thinks with a friend. you can build a house and collect diamounds but that's pointless. it feels like minecraft doesn't know what kind of game it is. is it a survival game? is it a fighting game? is it an rpg? is it a building game? it is all and none of those things. it does not know what it is suposed to be and these "updates" are making the game worse if anything. i think that the thing i tought the most when playing the game is "what should i do now?" i never knew what to do because there is no goal! the game is pointless! there are bad games out there many worse than this one but they all have a point where you start, something you have to do, and a point where you end the game and win. i know there are mods for the game and i've moded the crap out of minecraft many times but even with them the game still feels emty. you can get a mod that adds more monsters to fight but there is no reward for fighting. you can get a mod that lets you create a mineing mechene but there is no point in mineing you can get a mod to give you airplanes to fly around and explore the worl. but there is no point in exploring! THIS GAME HAS NOOOO POINT! NO REWARD FOR DOING ANYTHING! they would have to do a lot to make this game fun for me witch i dubt they will do, now they're trying to relese this pointless game on more platforms to get more money. what do they do with it??? they have so much money! how can they not make this game better when they have soooo much money?!!? one last thing, there is also potion making but that only involves grinding the nether for some crap for hours only to get some potion witch you have no use for since the monsters are rly not that hard to kill. this game is pointless if you don't agree with me feel free to tell me why, i want to hear what you have to say. sorry for the typos. Expand
  38. Nov 13, 2012
    This is just a lego game simulator, this "game" is really boring even on multiplayer, and costs 20$, I know that the pixel graphics are "normal" but they are incredibly bad.
  39. Oct 18, 2012
    Who the heck releases a game in it's unfinished state which such hype behind it. I'm not talking about the alpha and beta releases(all of which i played), i'm talking about the 1.0 version of the game.
  40. Aug 29, 2012
    I honestly think this game is grossly overrated. It's just an aimless Sandbox, and unless you look up a guide or have friends helping you, you've got no way of knowing what to do. And it's pretty costly, at around $30, you can get Terraria, basically a 2D version of this game on Steam for about 10 dollars.
  41. Aug 20, 2012
    The developers sat around a table one day and made a bet.
    One guy said to another «Hey! I'll bet you $100 that I can come up with a really STUPID IDEA, CHEAP RETRO GRAPHICS, REPETITIVE GAME-PLAY, LACK OF CONTENT, LIMITED ACTION video game title that will entice millions of idiots to play it as if it were the next best thing to sex with 4 women at a time! I bet you that people who
    can't tell the difference between a good RPG and a dog turd will LOVE my game and hype it up to no limits, getting other weak-minded individuals to play it endlessly! I bet we could overprice it, under-develop it, sub-maintain it and no one would give a crap! I bet you that the graphics could be SO BAD that it will make ASCII based games on the TRS-80 in 1981 seem like next-generation DirectX 11 games! I'm willing to bet you that NO ONE will figure out that we're basically laughing our asses off at them to liking it! I bet you we'd be able to MINE their pockets and CRAFT a real piece of dung title!» Expand
  42. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terribly boring game. It's like playing legos online. Not with the 20 bucks. The swede who made this piece of **** racked in at least 20 million dollars off of this terrible block game. Expand
  43. Aug 14, 2012
    this game is near the top of my most hated games uv all time! its so stupid and its graphics suck so bad that my eyes threw up. its horrendous and it has terrible gameplay, and its stealing my favorite PC game's thunder, Spore! Spore FTW
  44. Jul 28, 2012
    its is very boring and uninterseting. I like the idea of being able to do whatever you want and it is a very original idea that strays away from traditional ideas for what a game can be.
  45. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm not enjoying this game. It's nothing against the plot of it (Mining/building) It's just that I don't like the graphics. Large pixels and 3D games aren't my thing. I also don't like the lag that the game gives me. I lag, and I've got a really nice computer.

I don't like it, personally, but I can really see how it appeals to a lot of people! If you are a fan of 3D games, get this!
  46. Jul 3, 2012
    this game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a much better game. The only thing this game is good at is it's replay ability witch rates very high for me. You will spend thousands of hours messing around with the crafting table and the various items you can create. Graphics: 4
    Sound: 5
    Game mechanics: 6
    Replay ability: 9
    Intelligence: 2 Bugs: 5
  47. Jul 1, 2012
    Well, this is one of the best games i have ever played! Its nothing like other games where you have to pay for membership every month just to play... No this game is a 1 time payment, and you are free to do whatever you want to the game. You can modify it and get cool NEW things that the game didn't have originally. You can change the textures of the items in the game! Its very open source. Unlike other games where you cant do anything but play it *cough SONY cough*. Its an endless sandbox in which you have 2 modes. Creative, and survival. Creative, allows you to build anything you could imagine! You can make things from houses to castles, computers to gadgets, (yes you can make computers). Survival, is a mode in which you start out with nothing, and have to collect resources to survive. It can be a little scary so beware of that, but you can set your difficulty on 4 different modes, peaceful is one that doesn't have monsters or scary music, and you die from less explicit things like hunger, and falling. There is no blood in this game either, and you don't necessarily have to kill EVERYTHING you see... They add new things to the game all the time too! Which i think is really cool.
    There is one, bad thing about this game though. It is extremely addictive. I can hardly ever stay away from this game. Thats how fun it is! But its bad that i spend a lot of my time on it.
  48. Jun 26, 2012
    Minecraft was a really cool idea when it first came around. The whole concept had literally endless potential. At the $10 price for the alpha it was great and even at $20 I think is fair enough despite it's shortcomings. It is now $30 which is too much for an incomplete product. I stopped paying it during the Beta and went back for 1.2.5 only to find that almost nothing changed. The game still had the same inherent limits and problems due to poor core coding on Notches part. The game still lacked proper modding support (which was promised), lacked optimized graphics for low end systems. Still ran poorly on Java (Java is fine but you have to optimize). The part that blows me away is that Mojang made so much money from this small game that you would think they could hire 1 guy to add content and even create proper DLC. The survival mode is still stale and only fun for a several hours until you realize that there is nothing to do once you built your home, mineshaft, and farm. What amazes me is the amount of nothing coming out of Mojang, several modders take time out of their day to provide all the basics that the game is missing via mods and what does Mojang do? Release a patch to break over half of them. The funniest part is how long it takes them to put something out after Notch says he "likes the idea". I remember reading a tweet about the fence doors which took months to get released meanwhile a modder had already made one in about an hour. I don't blame the whole company for dropping the ball on Minecraft, I think what it is is the code they worked with was so bad (Notch) that it was extremely difficult, time consuming, and probably had to be hacked in anyway to get anything added. Notch probably decided to spend more time/money on a new project (Scrolls, which will flop) instead of spending 10x the time to implement something in Minecraft for free. Overall, fun game that had a lot of potential but fell in the lap of someone who lacks creativity and vision. Sure he made a lot of money but if he was more careful and invested a little bit more into Minecraft it would have been a timeless platform for selling DLC packs and official "Mods" for years - think space, crazy dimensions, Heaven, etc). Expand
  49. Jun 22, 2012
    Way too overpriced. Simply put. The interface is boring, and the players are simply way too biased. Rate it for what it is. Not for what you think it is.
  50. Jun 15, 2012
    A lot of the reviewers here are complaining about the flaws of Minecraft. We should all know that Minecraft will never really be finished. It is constantly being updated; whether Mojang is revamping the mob AI or adding a new block, they're doing something that can potentially change the game each update. A lot of the updates created last year are so irrelevant, considering it is a lot different than what it was then. You can now change texture packs with ease, for those who have too much swagger for the default. You can try a survival mode and get the blocks yourself, or try a creative world and have them from the start. It is too repetitive for some people, but many of them lack the creative spark it takes to enjoy it. Many architects and non-gamers play this religiously, because it gives them the chance to express their creativity in a way no other game really could. The singeplayer mode by itself does get boring after a while for most players, which is why the multiplayer mode brings some players back. You can play on a server with your friends, and play from the beginning with your friends. You could spawn 1000 mooshrooms in a hole and blow them up, or race to the top of a ladder by killing everyone else on it (invented by the Mindcrack dudes). The possibilities are endless, and will be as each update comes. Your opinion may have changed since alpha. It has for a lot of people. Many different mods allow you to play it the old way, or some which make it even harder. Instead of complaining that it's overrated, you can play an unknown indie game to make yourself feel better. Minecraft will hopefully have updated several times before you come back. Expand
  51. Jun 10, 2012
    When I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will get exploded. I cant belive that this game cost money i mean if you watch gameplay you would think that its free from its ****ty graphics but no they want you to pay 10 bucks for it. If your going to buy this game just save the 10 bucks for a real game or buy Terria or however you spell it. Expand
  52. May 16, 2012
    Over-hyped trash with no point. A big lego sandbox with horrible AI, poor controls and a clear lack of vision.

Terraria is about 9 times the game Minecraft is. Minecraft is a good idea, poorly implemented.
  53. May 16, 2012
    Ok, actually this game is bad. I starts funny, ok. But then.... later on it's just very, very boring. Ok, it's cheap. But this is the only good point at that game. Don't buy.
  54. May 15, 2012
    Minecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft is vastly unfinished upon release. Promises made by Notch, for example, included various game modes like capture the flag, and a fully-functioning NPC village, among others I won't even bother listing. Yes, I play this game. I do like it to some degree, which is why I'm giving it a 4 out of 10. But the reality is that, when you compare it to everything on the market, nay, just compare it to other indie games, and you realize just how hard Notch dropped the ball on this one. The graphics are atrocious, and the term "retro graphics" don't justify it. Chrono Trigger is "retro" and still a beautiful game, so calling something retro to justify it being plain and ugly is awful. The music is serene, but nice. The combat is unvaried and unfortunately dull when it comes to the majority of the game, but the brewing/potion system and enchanting added a little to the game. Shame your only two real weapons are swords and bows.

The strength in Minecraft's programming comes from Jeb and, guess what, people other than Team Mojang. It's the mods and add-ons that aren't from Team Mojang that make this game actually fun and entertaining, and people tend to forget that. If you mod the heck out of it, great, fantastic, good game. But stand-alone it's an incredibly monotonous, uninspired simulator.
  55. May 15, 2012
    A mediocre sandbox game with alot of potential that it never tried to live up to.
    The game lacks content instead giving you a bland sandbox to play in with nothing to do in the long term except play with lego blocks and find diamond.
  56. May 14, 2012
    I gaveMinecraft a zero not a ten :). So what I said before but this is actually what I scored it zero so hopefully I get a correct gamescore this time.
  57. May 2, 2012
    Minecraft, when in BETA, was an incredible fun start to bringing old graphics back into the world. It was actually fairly stable too. But now since it's become more popular, Java has turned bad on it and now all the modifications and the community have ruined how it works. It's just not Minecraft anymore. Sorry guys.
  58. Apr 30, 2012
    I'll admit, Minecraft is a great game, but it has many flaws. I remember when it was in 1.7.3, it was one of the largest updates to happen to the game, and it was great. That was when I got the game. I was addicted and really enjoyed playing it, but then it just lost it's appeal. Then came other weird and annoying gameplay things, such as hunger, or experience. It's frustrating to lose many levels from being killed, and the hunger meter depletes too fast, and always seems to go empty when I have no food on me. Another thing, when they said Minecraft was going to be finished in 1.0.0, I was SO excited. No more updates! No more waiting for mods that could barely keep up! I could get all the mods I wanted, and not have to worry about updates! Of course, that wasn't true, was it Notch? He began updating again. What the ****. He just couldn't stop updating the game! And these came faster and faster, 1 every week or two! It was insane! Most modders didn't even bother to try and update their mods, because the new updates were pouring out so fast. Not only that, but it started out extremely cheap, then got to about $14 to $15 by beta 1.7.3, and now, after the "finished game" was released, it's around $20+ dollars! I like the game every once in a while, but after playing for a while, it's really boring and it seems to be the same process every world you make. Expand
  59. Apr 26, 2012
    This game is creative and fun, but it's in Java and it's very poorly optimized. And I don't really think this game is worth 27$, that's really expensive for a game made in JAVA imo. Terraria is just most fun, have no performance issues, it's 10$ full price and it's on Steam.
  60. Apr 26, 2012
    Ok, I admit, I am a little bit bias against this game. Simply put, the plot failed to engage me. I felt very little relation to the characters, as the development of the story was very poor. The only thing this game has going for it is its ultimate realism. The graphics are ultra real, but this is another downside to the game, It requires a ridiculous system to run it at full settings.
  61. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  62. Apr 18, 2012
    Was EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they added cats, which really pissed me off, not because I was mad about them adding cats, but because instead of fixing many of the GAME BREAKING BUGS (I'm serious, the game lags more than Skyrim) they added CATS. Also the golems, they also do nothing, there aren't any zombie attacks or anything to defend against. The game WAS great, best game I ever played, but that was before the useless updates and laziness of staff.

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.
  63. Apr 16, 2012
    It started good. The alpha was great. Everyone's arch enemy was a creeper. Notch was awesome. But then... BAM! When the Full Version came out there was more bugs than the alpha and beta COMBINED. Notch got really famous and rich that he just left us behind. And when the Adventure update came, I thought it was pretty good. That was, until I found out the NPC to nothing at all but let you trade with them. Then : Minecraft 1.0... WHAT THE **** This is nothing like minecraft! Hardcore? **** that! If you die by even FALLING off a cliff you have to start over THE WHOLE ****ING WAY.... I don't reccomend this game. Expand
  64. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  65. Apr 2, 2012
    93 metascore?Seriously93?This does deserve 50-60.No,i don;t care about the graphics,they are supposed to be bad anyway.I care about the gameplay,which is bad.REALLY bad.It gets boring very easily,after 2-3 hours it just becomes generic.Why play this when i have Skyrim to play with?
  66. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is hugely overrated, grows boring after a quick play, and I know the graphics are intended to look bad, but its just ugly to play. The mechanics are boring and overly repetitive, and is not worth the 20 dollars it costs. Do not buy this game, go with Terraria or Garry's Mod, which are both excellent sandbox games. Minecraft however, isn't, so don't buy it!
  67. Mar 25, 2012
    This game showed tremendous promise, at least in the early stages. However, I feel as if the developers added unnecessary things and were very slow to fix bugs. The novelties begin to fade, and the game becomes boring. The game is also overpriced for the experience it delivers. If Notch made the game around $10, it would be a better deal. The difference between the full release and the Beta is nonexistent. The only real fun you can have is when you create a server to play with friends. But that requires too much work, and the game, at least right now, is NOT worth it. Expand
  68. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a very bad game, I have never played a game as bad as this one in my whole entire life, in addition this game looks like it was made in a day by a 2 year old. DON'T BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL REGRET IT !!!
  69. Mar 23, 2012
    Not even a real game... Buy a real MMO or RPG! It has the worst graphics ever seen, hell, Jet Set Willy & Monty Mole put this to shame! The fact that so many foolish people hype it up is in itself scary, if you like Lego and are about 7yo you'll probably love it!
  70. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a game that puzzles me. It is built in java, which fans seem to praise, but in actuality is either very lazy, very stupid, or both. Java is not supposed to operate a game of this magnitude,and the only reason I can see for it is that Notch didn't want to step out of the comfort zone of his high school language of choice. It's the reason the code is so buggy, and the game freezes and lags on the best machines around. But on to the game. I understand the graphics were supposed to be stylistic and retro, and it works to a degree, so I won't complain too much there. It's gameplay that the game lacks. You start with nothing, and have to build a universe, which is cool, except that you have to actually build it. Instead of a shop or something where you bring wood, stone, string, or whatever, your 3x3 grid becomes your personal hell. Arrange the right things with one object a space off, and the crafting doesn't work. sometimes the supplies don't make sense at all, and you end up asking a friend how to make something. The game forces you to use the wiki eventually. It's impossible not to, because of objects being reliant on pinpoint accuracy. Who would guess that a box of stone with the center piece missing is a forge? You better, or the game won't work, because you need a forge to get metals. Good luck without them. Quickly, you stop exploring the world and figuring things out, and begin minimizing the game and checking the wiki every 10 minutes. After that, the game is only fun for a few days. So to recap: Java isn't for games like this, even a $1000 computer still freezes occasionally, and the game requires knowledge that you cannot gain inside the game. Expand
  71. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is the most boring piece of **** ever it gets boring after 10 or5 minutes all you do is build **** the graphics are to retro enemies randomly spawn this game is utter **** its just a fail and a abortion of a game
  72. Mar 17, 2012
    It's been so long and so little has been accomplished, I still have a Sneak key that doesn't sneak. If my dog is sitting and a close the game it is forever stuck sitting. I have a room that is about 5 x 5 with 10 torches in it and zombies still attack me when i goto sleep in the bed, If you want a game that absolutely nothing can go right, this is it. (it's only rated a 1 cause I can still classify it as a game.) Expand
  73. Mar 13, 2012
    This game is very bad! There is no gameplay! No plot! No graphic! This is not a game!
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    This game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might take you a fair while. As far as building stuff goes a lack of intelligent opposition and the general low difficulty level makes it pointless while building for its own sake is boring due to the simple nature of the game's engine.

A novelty that became a short lived cultural phenomenon. Avoid.
  75. Mar 7, 2012
    Please, if you are writing a review after playing after only one day, please don't. I would give this game a 10/10 after the first day, but after a couple of days you WILL get bored, unless you're autistic. After building a couple of houses, a couple of underwater houses, a few castles, and other complex structures (not the houses, those aren't complex) you run out of things to do. Sure, you can go to the end, but the end is actually not everything it was supposed to be. It is a four at best, and I'm being generous. Expand
  76. Feb 25, 2012
    SHUT UP ABOUT GRAPHICS. the game is supposed to be that way. my problem is that game is great untill u build a house so now what? the game needs objectives, something to do. it was well thought out at first but quickly fell. i find the game fun when you play others and then skype them but thats just me.
  77. Feb 19, 2012
    this game SUCKS! I think that when you play it for 10 minutes, you run out of "fun" stuff to do. This game stinks. the dude who created it should have rethought this. Maybe add some other stuff to the game . ten it might be a little better. I do think that the pixilation effects are beast. Thus game it OK.
  78. Feb 12, 2012
    I have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but it doesn't have to be in 3-D to be good like most people think. Terraria is so good because of the limitless amount of content in the game. There are so many things to do I can't even list them all. Countless enemies, so many upgrades to tools and armor, several bosses, everything. If Minecraft were anything like Terraria, the game would be the most sold game in the universe. Expand
  79. Feb 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft was really fun at first and it wasnt fun at all you know minecraft sucks so badly i dont know why ok you suck at minecraft i suck at it MINECRAFT IS A VERY BAD GAME **** MOJANG Expand
  80. Feb 10, 2012
    This game starts you off in a fun mood, but as it goes on, you get more bored with nothing to do. The idea of getting blocks and placing them on top of each other is not so appealing, and when you have built what you want, you go through so many bugs and disappointments - there's nothing more to do. What's more is that the pixel full game takes you back into olden days, and though it may be like that for the convenience of the game, it certainly puts a bad impression on the player. Expand
  81. Feb 8, 2012
    The reason that this game is so popular is because it seems incredibly fun in the first few hours, first few days, weeks, etc., but the fun doesn't last. You run out of things to do almost immediately, as there is hardly any content besides playing with blocks. A novelty idea, but not a good game.
  82. Feb 7, 2012
    Everyone keeps saying this game is good because you can do whatever you want! Let me clarify that for you. Suppose you like reading and someone said that they have a incredible book for you to read. So you buy it and it turns out to be a sheet of paper. You say wtf you ripped me off, and they say no it's a great book you can write whatever you want on that paper! Well that's exactly what this game is. Nothing! Notch has ripped of so many people it's not even funny. lmao, you can do what ever you want....please there is absolutely nothing at all to do! Worst game in the history of gaming! Expand
  83. Feb 4, 2012
    When I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its low point was the complete lack of updates. From alpha to full release, only two hostile monsters were added (Enderman and Enderdragon). Notch killed the entire reputation of Minecraft by moving onto Scrolls with so many unfulfilled promises he made. The one that sticks out the most is the AI in NPCs; there is no dialogue whatsoever, no shops that you trade at, no quests, and they don't react to anything that's done to them at all. There are so many illogical things in the game to; if you eat zombie flesh, poisoning is supposed to cause harm to you, yet if you eat enough to bring your hunger bar to max, you'll be healed. The overall thing though is that the game doesn't last very long and new things such as mobs are very sparse. Expand
  84. Jan 27, 2012
    Un jeu que j'aime particulièrement. Grâce a un amis je l'ai découvert et je me demanderait que ferai je sans ce jeu. Il mérite plus qu'un 10/10 au moins 15/10... =D
  85. Jan 24, 2012
    I must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, the game itself is 4 hour, mediocre, half broken game, not worth your money. With mods, it would be a 75, but without, it's a 2. Mojang and Notch need to wake the **** up. The game is apparently released, yet it still is, in all honesty, a beta, if not an alpha version. Expand
  86. Jan 21, 2012
    Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience? First off, there's no tutorial or whatsoever. You'll have no idea what to do on your first playthrough - luckily there's a fan made wiki which will supply you with detailed information about every aspect of the game - but WHY do we have to rely on these kind of sources? Why is there no official tutorial or instructions? I understand that some people enjoyed the aspect of exploring and finding things on their own - but goddamn there aren't even crafting instructions.
    The game itself plays off rather nicely at the start; you randomly break blocks, suddenly it's noon. You build a shelter and start collecting resources... Then what? Nothing. The game becomes bland. There's no objective or win-stage. If you're creative you might still have fun, designing small contraptions and stuff. Maybe after some time playing you'll have an objective set for yourself - which is just collecting resources. But there is only a handful of resources in the game, and it doesn't take long until you get them all. There are some other things that you can do, like build a portal to the nether, or travel to the end... but how are you supposed to know these things exist, without, once again, checking the wiki or getting help?? Everything is simply scattered around the game and the devs expect the player to find these elements on his own while in reality it's an impossible task without some sort of guide or help.
    Then there's multiplayer - a fresh aspect for the game. After you've finished toying around with single player you'll probably want to try out multiplayer. But, guess what? There's no server list (only favorites), you have to type an IP of a server yourself - and where in the hell are you supposed to even get one? In addition to that there are no official game servers or a real way of obtaining a server IP other that asking a friend for a one or searching for a good one on the internet for countless hours. Once again, everything is simply scattered and feels unfinished. I've been playing for a while, so I know how to play the game and what to do. But I almost never find myself just randomly playing. The game gets BORING and the oblivious devs completely didn't take that into account while making this. Let's leave the gameplay-wise section. The game itself, has poor graphics compared to other games todays. Notch's reason for using pixellated graphics is to maintain a "retro" feel. And I can accept that - but WHY does the game take up so many system resources!? I can run Skyrim, Crysis, L.A Noire and other games in the highest settings but this game just slows down after a while and slows down my entire computer. I have occasional lag spikes and even crashes from time to time. This proves Notch didn't care for performance and wanted to release his game asap just to get it out there and earn more money from critic reviews. The game is also COMPLETELY overpriced - I've enjoyed The Binding of Isaac which is only 5$ MUCH more than I've enjoyed this game - And I bought it when it was just 10 euros. It should've stayed with that price, but it didn't. The game is also overpraised just because of what it's been through. All of the critics giving insanely high and undeserving scores have obviously played the game in the beta stage and were eagerly waiting for the game to come out so that they can review it. If the game DIDN'T have an alpha-beta stage and would just come out as it is today without no one knowing about it previously it would've gotten VERY low scores. It's a bad game. It would've been BUTCHERED by critics. Heck, if I could show Notch what his game would become he would've completely changed his plans. But instead he's money hungry. He has made so many promises that he didn't keep, like different gameplay modes or official mod support. I didn't even write about the other crummy features of the game in my review - like the so-called "end" - which is just a boring, artificially difficult boss fight, or the level up system which actually relies on the simple click-to-spam combat. There are even non-responsive NPCs in the game which Notch promised a long time ago but didn't have the patience/time/power to finish them. The game feels unfinished for an old player like me or confusing and bland for new player. It's shameful how it's getting these amazing scores from critics - it simply shouldn't. I'm giving it a 4 because I did spend a lot of time playing it with friends, and made a few creations which felt mostly rewarding and even fun. Thanks for the read.
  87. Jan 15, 2012
    Minecraft is game for those, who don't have good PC to play games that have nice graphics, interesting gameplay. What can you say me about Minecraft?
    Gameplay?
    That stupid cubes are interesting for first 2-3 hours, next time they are annoying, craft recipes isn't interesting too, world is always same, same mobs, same dungeons, only location changes.
    I think, if this game would be developed
    in 2000 year it would be a super game for all people, but for today it doesn't work.
    So, if you don't have powerful PC or you like indie games, Minecraft is game for you.
  88. Jan 14, 2012
    Minecraft is the most overrated game ever. The idea deserves 10, indeed, but the execution is... a tragedy.

The game has been developed for THREE YEARS and it is FAR FROM BEING FINISHED, even though it has the 'Full Release' title. Notch did a horrible job with the game. He wasted the enormous potential. Slow lazy greedy Swede who ruined the game. Rushed half-features for which nobody has
    asked. If there weren't any mods, Minecraft would become boring after 5 hours of playing.

Don't buy it. Don't waste your money. Many clones of Minecraft are being created. Who knows, one may beat this extremely overrated title.
  89. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is severely overrated. The creator now hardly updates it at all, and there isn't really that much to do. People say that you need to explore or build if you don't have anything to do but that's boring... I don't want to spend 3 hours building some stupid castle that won't be worth anything when I could enjoy that 3 hours on another game
  90. Jan 4, 2012
    minecraft is a little bit fun but the graphics are terrible, its just blocks and bits of rubbish , cheap and not good also very unrealistic because i could just put a random block in the middle of the sky
  91. Jan 3, 2012
    Me-Buys 2000$ computer that can run Crysis and Skyrim Maxed out with full anti-aliasing
    MInecraft- Java
    Me- Cant run 256x256 texture packs without lag
    Java, I'm done here
  92. Jan 2, 2012
    30 for this? Seriously?

This game still reeks of "beta," not a finished product. There simply is nothing to do. The gameplay has no point and gets old after five minutes. Performance is terrible, even on decently-powerful computers--it simply isn't optimized. So then I decided to try some mods, but even the mods themselves are fragmented. Single-player mods don't necessarily function in
    multiplayer (even though core Minecraft gameplay is unchanged between single and multi), and heaven forbid you want to mod a dedicated server--that has a whole separate set of dependencies and issues to contend with. And even when they do work, they're nothing different from questing and crafting in games that you've already heard about.

Maybe it's one of those games that takes time to grow on you, so I'll give it another week. I just fear that there may not be a week's worth of stuff to actually do. Other than mine, build, and kill stuff. Which I did on day one.
  93. Jan 2, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the media attention and hype surrounding Minecraft : It is an incomplete mess of a product - I'm not even calling it a game, it's only intention from day one was to line Notch's grubby pockets with more gold. The game is supposed to have a "retro" feel to it, it was meant to be a "fresh" new indie game which "innovated" the genre. Pay little attention to any review which uses any of these buzzwords. For anyone that played any games which could be defined as retro, you would understand that these games made best use of the graphics they had available to them at the time. Some of them could even be described as visual masterpieces. Minecraft feels like somebody who has never played a retro game in their life before and with little knowledge of the genre has rushed together an abortion of a better game. Every single video game is supposed to have a point, a purpose or a goal for the character or players to achieve. It could be as simple as "deactivating a bomb" or far more complex like the complete storylines found in many modern RPGs. What is the point of Minecraft? What is the player striving to achieve? Nothing. There is no point to anything in this game. Why are villages randomly spawned in the deserts? Can you even interact with the NPCs you find? You can't. There is no purpose to them whatsoever - If you attack them.. they do nothing... you cannot trade with them, they own no items and wander around aimlessly. If this game was still in a beta stage I could appreciate that this is work in progress. But it isn't... This is what the game developers actually want you to play.. this is the display of their talents for the world to see. The only pro of this game is the music, which although it is only a single track it is very soothing to dig away to in the middle of the night. Playing this game online with friends was supposed to be the clincher, but that really gets boring after a while, especially once you realise how poorly made the combat system is for this game. Even if every other aspect of this game was the same, if the developers had even bothered to introduce a decent combat system then I could appreciate this game for what it is, and even give it a better score. However the fact that the developers had left such a poor combat system - which was supposed to be one of the primary features of this game - seems to round this game off as a rushed product with no real intention of being decent. I recall retro games from the 1990s with hundreds of different combat features that wound the audience into the web of the games story. But minecraft only has ONE single click attack... that is it. You must beat your opponents to death with an array of different weapons (4 or 5 different coloured swords) and that really is it. Once you have a full set of Diamond armour pretty much any attacks made by NPCs against your character is made redundant and that makes the game far too easy - where is the replay value in that? Diamond armour can also be made only an hour or two into a game so there isn't even a challenging aspect for combat in this game. Expand
  94. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  95. Dec 30, 2011
    MineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of people have said, setting up a multiplayer server is terrible. Mojang, the creators of the game, throw the server software at you with little to no instructions. Sure they maybe some tutorials on YouTube and it may be very helpful but sometimes it just confuses you to the point of frustration. In summary, fun game for quite sometime but eventually will get boring and multiplayer is very weirdly setup. The game, all in all, didn't feel worth the 20 bucks I paid. Expand
  96. Dec 28, 2011
    Besides the game looking 20 years old, it is merely Lego on your computer screen. Only 6 year olds should be playing it as everyone else should have grown out of the need to put block on other blocks to make a castle or boat which does nothing, but alas, many have not.
  97. Dec 26, 2011
    What is this graphics in 2011? This is awful! I thought this game is very good. This was a big disappoint. This is a BAD game. Don't pay for it! This game has lots of bugs. BAD GAME
  98. Dec 25, 2011
    This game started off like other indies. Cheap Price, Cheap Game. High ratings go to people not realizing their ridiculous waist of money, almost 30$ for this bug ridden game. It's using popularity to their advantage and overcharging. Its not a bad game, but bugs, awful AI, awful graphics ruin it. Singleplayer is boring out of words, multiplayer is virtually impossible to create a server, and when you join one you're restricted to areas or have to sign up at some stupid forum. Mods are the only cure to this game. One mod alone, in my opinion, doubles the fun of the game. The modders put more effort into this game than Mojang. And with their massive profits they haven't even fixed very old bugs. Expand
  99. Dec 23, 2011
    Poorly implemented ideas, stale gameplay, it gives you no idea of what you are supposed to do and it is full of bugs. Plus now it is marketed to autistic 8 year olds, not the fans who made it popular in the first place. I cannot believe how much greed governs it now. Finish your games before releasing them.
  100. Dec 23, 2011
    Game seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with giving meaningful updates and listening to the community. It takes me 15 minutes to log into MY OWN server due to Minecrafts central server having issues with validation. Anyone else trying to log in has the same problems. The game gets very boring to play by yourself (but once again, good luck getting other players on your server). The end dimension is very pointless and you can tell that there wasn't much effort put into coming up with it, as with most of their other updates...just read the update history and you'll see: Mooshroom cows for example.

Don't buy this and get Terraria instead. You can usually get it for under $3 on Steam (it goes on sale all the time) and it's a much better made (and less buggy) game.
  101. Apr 18, 2012

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]