7.4

1. Feb 26, 2012
    The game that basically has redefined the sandbox genre. You can almost do anything you want. I could rant and rave on what is good, but my favorable score show show that. I'm going to write the short-comings because people need to understand what they are gonna either miss or want.

Firstly, when you get in the game, you can do whatever you want, but that is a downside. For the not very creative people (like me), it is hard to keep playing the game when I don't have an end-goal to achieve. You can explore FOREVER and will get lost and if you die and are lost? Say good bye to whatever you were carrying.

Secondly, from the beta days to now the weekly snapshots, it has gone from a creative little world to an adventure mode that has again no goal. You can explore and find a village, but it doesn't necessarily help you. You can enchant weapons/items to help you, but it isn't necessary. It gives you freedom to do what you want, but with no guidance, what's the point?

Thirdly, Mods and add-ons. The game does a great job with allowing the player to do what they want, but it gets outrageous. They allow people to add their own texture packs, but not the mods to allow users to accomplish their personal goals quicker. For example, what if I am building a tower? I need a "flying" mod so I don't need to worry about falling and dying. Every update/release you would have to re-install the mods. I know Mojang does not specifically support the mods system, but since EVERYONE is using them, why not just add that in?

The multiplayer in the game is great, and can be amazing when you have a server filled with people who help each other, but you always get griefers who want to watch the world burn.
  2. Feb 25, 2012
    SHUT UP ABOUT GRAPHICS. the game is supposed to be that way. my problem is that game is great untill u build a house so now what? the game needs objectives, something to do. it was well thought out at first but quickly fell. i find the game fun when you play others and then skype them but thats just me.
  3. Feb 24, 2012
    Minecraft is certainly a special game but leaves a lot to be desired with all of the false blogs about upcoming features. While it is still lacking, however, the constant updates are nice and I do believe that there is a LOT more to come. *Note that this is my first review so pardon if I'm doing something wrong*

The bad: With a lack of a tutorial or even an in-game book that records what

The bad:
    With a lack of a tutorial or even an in-game book that records what you have crafted for later use, the game drops the player flat on his face and then forces you to learn how to actually use the game using online wikis and things of the sort. I've been hiding behind the fact that Minecraft was in beta and that everything will be polished out in the full release... WRONG. The game has a lot of nice aspects but fails to deliver things that would incorporate casual players into the mix. The game is severly lacking in the multiplayer section and uses a clunky server-ip system that I would have thought would be nicely fleshed out. Setting up a server for you and your friends is all-too much of a hassle to be considered a "good" experience. The only boss in the game is an "ender-dragon" which features more or less redundant A.I. The only thing that really tells you that it's a boss is it's absurdly high amount of health that's constantly regenerating due to these "towers." The boss isn't so much fun as it is just plain annoying. After I wasted that 15 minutes of my life, all I had to show for it was a boring screen of just text. I DID get a ****-load of experience, but what does that do IF THE BOSS IS ALREADY DEAD?

The good:
    The game aims to be an interactive sandbox and does a very good job of doing so. Players are put into an infinite, randomly-generated/ing world in survival mode and are forced to gather materials in order to survive. At night, or in any dark area, monsters appear. The player must build up defenses as he mines materials. These materials can be put together to create more elaborate items, or "crafted" items: hence the name "Mine"-"Craft". The game even features a basic form of circuitry called redstone that the player can manipulate with pistons and buttons to create the grandest of button-operated doors, monster traps, or whatever your heart desires. The idea of a monster being able to creep up on you at any given moment and scare you ****-less just adds to the suspense. The best thing about Minecraft, however, is that the experience is yours; you build what YOU want to build. The idea of spending time doing something that has an awesome outcome just invokes this sense of accomplishment in the player. The things that you build are constantly evolving in trivial little bursts at a time into something amazing that YOU built. Bottom line:
    While the game DOES have a lot of gameplay, the Mojang team is spending too much time expanding on content when the game SHOULD be working on the features it promised so long ago. The game still doesn't feel finished, but that's not to draw away from what is, in the end, an amazing experience.
  4. Feb 24, 2012
    If you have many idea's and if you are creative, this game is a good game for you^^
    I think, the multiplayer is better than the singleplayer. It's funny to build big things with your friends.
    But there is one thing i hate: Java!
    The FPS are jumping between 30 and 500. Graphics are very bad in the year 2011/2012. But if you install a Texture Pack and Shaders, it doesn't look so bad.
  5. Feb 24, 2012
    Finally, Minecraft is an original game, with an interesting core gameplay. The player's imagination is the most important thing in the adventure.
    It's a little tiring after a while, but I always end up replaying it at one time or another!
    Minecraft is a good example to prove that game design and imagination is more important than graphics and VFX.
  6. Feb 21, 2012
    I give the untouched plain minecraft a 6, enjoyable, but not amazing. However, the ammount of cusumizabilty due to all the mods makes it a certain 10. You can shape the game into what ever you want.
  7. Feb 19, 2012
    this game SUCKS! I think that when you play it for 10 minutes, you run out of "fun" stuff to do. This game stinks. the dude who created it should have rethought this. Maybe add some other stuff to the game . ten it might be a little better. I do think that the pixilation effects are beast. Thus game it OK.
  8. Feb 18, 2012
    Fantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupidFantastic game. I have spent easily over 100 hours making huge castles and citys. In this game your only limited by your imagination! The mod support is fantastic you can get some of the coolest mods in any game. Only bad things is lately there hasn't been many new features, mods should be easier to install and turn on and off. Everyone giving this game 0 because of the graphics are stupid it was made by 1 person with very little money not Bethesda with 100's of millions of dollars Expand
  9. Feb 16, 2012
    This game is vastly entertaining with nearly endless possible activities and modding ability. Setting up a modded server with friends will no doubt be endlessly fun if you make full use of the mods. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for games. To hell with graphics, give me content!
  10. Feb 13, 2012
    I was hearing alot about this game being so much fun...bought it and was disappointed. The concept was cool but it got very repetitive and with repetition comes boredom.
  11. Feb 13, 2012
    I am addicted to this game. This is by far the greatest game ever created in my opinion. It has so much you can do: explore caves. Fight endless hordes of undead creatures, giant spiders, and strange fiends that spawned in the imaginations of the creators. Explore down to the very bedrock of the world. Mine essential coal, valuable iron, amazing redstone, majestic lapis lazuli, brilliantI am addicted to this game. This is by far the greatest game ever created in my opinion. It has so much you can do: explore caves. Fight endless hordes of undead creatures, giant spiders, and strange fiends that spawned in the imaginations of the creators. Explore down to the very bedrock of the world. Mine essential coal, valuable iron, amazing redstone, majestic lapis lazuli, brilliant gold, heavy-duty diamonds, and of course the second-hardest material in the game, obsidian. Create impenetrable fortresses on the highest mountain, underwater, in a cliff face, or underground. Build complicated traps, locks, doorbells, gates, and more with redstone. Brew potions that can change the tide of battle. Enchant weapons, tools, and armor to give it a shiny bling and extra abilities. All this, and even more in multiplayer. Make a shop, start a city, dominate your enemies, found an alliance, rise to become a moderator, or even an admin, and more. And to think that the game started off with just one person.
    And the full version isn't the end. They still update it. They continue to add new wonders and horrors to the game. New mob AI's, including zombie "super-soldiers". Jungles. Ocelots. Spawner eggs. All of these things have been added or will be added to the game in the future, as well as many other updates. This is truly an amazing game and is a world of never-ending fun.
  12. Feb 13, 2012
    The game concept itself is very good. but if you have finished the game once. It won't be many fun anymore. At least if your playing without mods. If you use mods it can be a very fun game. Multiplayer is much fun. You can play with friends on multiplayer. So I would only recommend it to people that know how to install mods, and play multiplayer else it isn't a very good game for you
  13. Feb 13, 2012
    One of those games that is good, but for largely intangible reasons. In truth, most of what minecraft promises to be is not lived up to, but the awesome sense of freedom and knowing that the world is randomly generated; that no one, not even the game's creator has seen the exact world that you're in before is a very appealing feeling. The ability to craft, create and build is theOne of those games that is good, but for largely intangible reasons. In truth, most of what minecraft promises to be is not lived up to, but the awesome sense of freedom and knowing that the world is randomly generated; that no one, not even the game's creator has seen the exact world that you're in before is a very appealing feeling. The ability to craft, create and build is the hallmark of the game, but there are still too many frustrations in the final build for me to recommend the game without some reservations. Definitely worth a look, just don't expect too much. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2012
    I was born a hugely creative person. I focus on artwork, screenplays, and am trying to make headway in the film world. As either a screenwriter or possibly director. I am also a gamer, and have been seeking out creative games. I loved the old rpg maker, little big planet. Any opportunity I get to create something I take it. This game had a fantastic initial impression, It was far betterI was born a hugely creative person. I focus on artwork, screenplays, and am trying to make headway in the film world. As either a screenwriter or possibly director. I am also a gamer, and have been seeking out creative games. I loved the old rpg maker, little big planet. Any opportunity I get to create something I take it. This game had a fantastic initial impression, It was far better than I was expecting. I purchased it when it was in early alpha. And while it's a good game - it's not the game I want it to be. While it's very fun going onto peoples servers and looking at what insane rpg-like creations they have made - and it's even more fun creating underground worlds. In every way that I want this game to be more, it dead ends. It's great for spending a lot of time in, but like most mmo games. It leaves you hollow. In this case it's more noble than a mmo's purposeful time consuming-for-money content. It's simply the lack of evolution. To sum it up. This game is brilliant. It's just not as brilliant as it has the potential to be. And as a result I see nothing but limitations. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2012
    I have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but itI have to be honest here. I loved Minecraft. Emphasis on the past tense there. Minecraft has a great concept and all, and I spent hours and hours of my time playing it. But the game just gets so boring after a while... I found myself running out of things to do quickly. Maybe if there was more content in the game, like in Terraria. Now, Terraria is a GREAT game. It may be in 2-D, but it doesn't have to be in 3-D to be good like most people think. Terraria is so good because of the limitless amount of content in the game. There are so many things to do I can't even list them all. Countless enemies, so many upgrades to tools and armor, several bosses, everything. If Minecraft were anything like Terraria, the game would be the most sold game in the universe. Expand
  16. Feb 12, 2012
    *Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.*

*This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game.*

Dear young gamers.
    Game's isnt about Graphics, they are for FUN.
    And why do you hate simply game where you can create massive building or something cool just because (nearly)everything looks blocks?
    Well, i gotta say this game gets boring after playing about 20hours and save(s) suddenly vanishes.
    This happened me 3 times, but i'll never gonna give up building!
  17. Feb 12, 2012
    Create your own world in this simple and fun game. Although its clearly lacking in the graphics department, which is not of concern, this game lets you expand on any creativity you have to let you build your own world. I've wasted hours exploring, making houses, and surviving. You would be crazy not to buy this game.
  18. Feb 11, 2012
    Ok, are the people writing these reviews **** drunk. I have been playing since the first version of beta and can tell you that this is my favorite game of all time, it is the ultimate sandbox game. The idea of having a game where you can completely make whatever you want has been around for decades but was never properly achieved until Notches beautiful Minecraft. The random world makesOk, are the people writing these reviews **** drunk. I have been playing since the first version of beta and can tell you that this is my favorite game of all time, it is the ultimate sandbox game. The idea of having a game where you can completely make whatever you want has been around for decades but was never properly achieved until Notches beautiful Minecraft. The random world makes players amazed at what they can find, the creepers add suspense and insure that the player is never safe, the many materials used to build an ultimate palace, all of this adds up to create the ultimate gaming experience known to man kind. All of these **** giving it bad reviews have no idea what they are talking about. Buy the game and you won't be sorry. It offers hours of fun in return and rarely has any bugs, when it does they are patched in the next update. This game will always have you on your toes, you never know what to expect from the glorious Minecraft. Expand
  19. Feb 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft was really fun at first and it wasnt fun at all you know minecraft sucks so badly i dont know why ok you suck at minecraft i suck at it MINECRAFT IS A VERY BAD GAME **** MOJANG Expand
  20. Feb 11, 2012
    A fun adventure/build/survival game. I played since fairly early Alpha stages before the game even had health, and on until mid beta stages. The openness - the level of customization in your creations only limited by the square shape of the game's blocks gives you an intriguing way to approach a landscape you can completely remove and mold to your liking. Want to build a town? Turn theA fun adventure/build/survival game. I played since fairly early Alpha stages before the game even had health, and on until mid beta stages. The openness - the level of customization in your creations only limited by the square shape of the game's blocks gives you an intriguing way to approach a landscape you can completely remove and mold to your liking. Want to build a town? Turn the world into a crater? A gauntlet of monsters? Farm chickens? Explore caves? All open options. I dumped many hours into this game. The only thing that keeps me from playing it now is the lack of stability in terms of servers being wiped, or updates requiring server wipes, corruption, etc. I wish I could still have all of my original creations and to have just continued to build on top of them. It's really disheartening losing out on old creations, but playing on the same server without ever needing a wipe/rebuild, the server going defunct because the person no longer wants to host it, massive game changes making it a near requirement to restart your server to be able to take advantage of the new content, and not being griefed in some capacity is pretty unlikely. It's a fun game, regardless. I just can't find myself playing it any more because I need 2 things - the ability to play with friends, and the ability to not have my creations thrown to the wind. But it seems you have to pick one or the other. If Notch can find a solution to this, I'll stick around. Perhaps a powerful map cut-and-paste type utility for you to transfer things from one server to another? A small file that can simply be opened and loaded into another server's map file, for example. That would be wonderful. Expand
  21. Feb 10, 2012
    This game starts you off in a fun mood, but as it goes on, you get more bored with nothing to do. The idea of getting blocks and placing them on top of each other is not so appealing, and when you have built what you want, you go through so many bugs and disappointments - there's nothing more to do. What's more is that the pixel full game takes you back into olden days, and though it mayThis game starts you off in a fun mood, but as it goes on, you get more bored with nothing to do. The idea of getting blocks and placing them on top of each other is not so appealing, and when you have built what you want, you go through so many bugs and disappointments - there's nothing more to do. What's more is that the pixel full game takes you back into olden days, and though it may be like that for the convenience of the game, it certainly puts a bad impression on the player. Expand
  22. Feb 10, 2012
    For creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth theFor creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth the purchase price (I also can't understand why there is so much user hate...the game is half the price of the usual crap that's sold today) Expand
  23. Feb 10, 2012
    MINECRAFT (V.1.0 REVIEWED): An indie game that you guys have been waited for. After playing the BETA version, I can't wait for the complete version to be released. Unfortunately there's a little disappointment here. Is it just me or the Minecraft is getting more RPG-ish? I mean what's with all these potions and boss battles? I just want a simple game that allows me to mine stuff and makeMINECRAFT (V.1.0 REVIEWED): An indie game that you guys have been waited for. After playing the BETA version, I can't wait for the complete version to be released. Unfortunately there's a little disappointment here. Is it just me or the Minecraft is getting more RPG-ish? I mean what's with all these potions and boss battles? I just want a simple game that allows me to mine stuff and make my own mining company. I liked that kind of game, especially when it's in the First Person Perspective. Oh yes, there's the BuildCraft mod. I want that mod to be the whole game! I just want miners and assistant for me just to.. You know, mine stuff? I liked the idea of dungeons and abadoned structures inside the world, but the game just can't focus on the mining aspects, but instead it's focusing on Dungeon Crawling RPGs. I think that's what the game was supposed to be, but I want more mining options in the later version. That's my main problem in the game. But so far, it's an Okay game. I can't rate it higher because this simple game can't run in a simple netbook. So one suggestions to Mojang, can you guys built-in the Optifine mod inside the game? There are tons of mods that can fix the game and tweak the game too, but the Vanilla isn't a recommendation for you guys. It's addicting, but disappointing too. I'm sorry guys, I love you Notch, I love you Minecraft, but I'm expecting more than just a Dungeon Crawling Adventure. I want you guys to focus on Mining. That's all. [6/10] "Okay" Expand
  24. Feb 10, 2012
    Yeah it has some good stuff in it but after a few hours you feel like you want something .... lets say more!
  25. Feb 9, 2012
    loved it, although it does become boring after a while you can keep things fresh with mods and texture packs. the game can have maps that no one could ever fully explore and the sheer amount of things you can find and make makes this game one of my favorites.
  26. Feb 8, 2012
    I must write this review to remind all of you of one fact that was brought up in the famous review by BestGamersOfUSA.....the game was not completed on release. It is a fine game as itself, definitely fun with friends, but there were many features promised that were not delivered (NPCs actually doing something, leveling system finished and actually doing something, etc). The main point ofI must write this review to remind all of you of one fact that was brought up in the famous review by BestGamersOfUSA.....the game was not completed on release. It is a fine game as itself, definitely fun with friends, but there were many features promised that were not delivered (NPCs actually doing something, leveling system finished and actually doing something, etc). The main point of this game is to build stuff (being anything honestly), which is fine as itself, but there is a survival aspect that we cannot forget. As much as I would love to just keep writing on and on about the actual flaws, I just implore you guys to watch the review I was talking about earlier, it brings up every point I was going to bring up anyways. It's fun enough, but I'm being nice considering that if this game was not in beta the whole time and was released with no one having any idea what to expect, they would have found a really **** game. The long beta and popularity base saved this game, not the game itself. And even then, the beta didn't help fix that it was an incomplete game that was released anyways. Expand
  27. Feb 8, 2012
    The reason that this game is so popular is because it seems incredibly fun in the first few hours, first few days, weeks, etc., but the fun doesn't last. You run out of things to do almost immediately, as there is hardly any content besides playing with blocks. A novelty idea, but not a good game.
  28. Feb 7, 2012
    Everyone keeps saying this game is good because you can do whatever you want! Let me clarify that for you. Suppose you like reading and someone said that they have a incredible book for you to read. So you buy it and it turns out to be a sheet of paper. You say wtf you ripped me off, and they say no it's a great book you can write whatever you want on that paper! Well that's exactly whatEveryone keeps saying this game is good because you can do whatever you want! Let me clarify that for you. Suppose you like reading and someone said that they have a incredible book for you to read. So you buy it and it turns out to be a sheet of paper. You say wtf you ripped me off, and they say no it's a great book you can write whatever you want on that paper! Well that's exactly what this game is. Nothing! Notch has ripped of so many people it's not even funny. lmao, you can do what ever you want....please there is absolutely nothing at all to do! Worst game in the history of gaming! Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2012
    I think I know why Minecraft is getting so many negative ratings. A large portion of these people are Hardcore FPSers. Playing MW3, and such. I feel sorry for them. They have completly missed the great thing that Minecraft is built around. Minecraft has no goals for a reason. It has no "Go to the checkpoint.", "Kill X ememies.", or "Press the button.".

*It Does Not Tell You To Do

*It Does Not Tell You To Do Anything! The Only Goals Are Those You Create!*

This is the secret to why people love Minecraft. There is nothing you have to do, you can do whatever you want.
  30. Feb 6, 2012
    Minecraft is a very special game in more than one way, this simple yet creative game can steal hours of your life without you even noticing simply due to the face that Minecraft is so variable, meaning that you can play exactly as you want. In Minecrafts case, graphics do not mean a thing, in fact that is what makes it such a clever game by proving that an 8bit graphics game can be as goodMinecraft is a very special game in more than one way, this simple yet creative game can steal hours of your life without you even noticing simply due to the face that Minecraft is so variable, meaning that you can play exactly as you want. In Minecrafts case, graphics do not mean a thing, in fact that is what makes it such a clever game by proving that an 8bit graphics game can be as good as any other. Expand
  31. Feb 6, 2012
    I've been playing this a long time (over a year) through the beta and by the time it was finally released I think I ran out of interest. There is a lot you can do, but the Multiplayer server tools need a LOT of work. Lots of mods and things can be added, but there are no official tools for any of this so it's pretty difficult to get things done right.

It's a fantastic game and there's

It's a fantastic game and there's tons to do, but be careful not to get bored.
  32. Feb 5, 2012
    This game is amazing, Its just so strange that about 1 out of 3 people say the game is rubbish and boring. But beg to differ, Its in a genre of its own. This genre is what I call building-sandbox. It is the only game that actually saved creativity in gaming. Many of my friends say there is nothing special about the game, It aways annoys me, It is one of the most editable games in history.This game is amazing, Its just so strange that about 1 out of 3 people say the game is rubbish and boring. But beg to differ, Its in a genre of its own. This genre is what I call building-sandbox. It is the only game that actually saved creativity in gaming. Many of my friends say there is nothing special about the game, It aways annoys me, It is one of the most editable games in history. Plus, along with the amazing amount of content that games like COD and BF3 lack, Theres a whole nice community supporting it. It has a HUGE selection of Mods to choose from, Even a computer mod!!!! If you dont like the "rubbish and dull" Graphics that the game possesses, You can choose from a variety of texture packs! Even make your own! That is the one thing most reviews are missing When my friends say "ohh theres a New minecraft like game that has zombies in it!!!" all I say is "theres a modification for that!" Im surprized that they just ignore me.They also said, "theres a new game thats way better than minecraft that takes place on the moon!" Again they never knew this but heres one thing again, "theres a mod for that!" Yup, The mod community is basically endless, You can even Play adventure maps on it! No more need To buy New map packs that cost nearly as much as Minecraft itself,So minecraft is a money saver,However, every game has its flaws, just like every human has their flaws. The two bad things about the game is The game needs a STRONG computer,To run like the big games like COD and BF3. another flaw is the many bugs the game has, the good thing is, if you are a good JAVA programmer, You prob can fix the bug yourself! But many people that are reading this are not good programmers. A Unique Thing about the game is that some of the previous bugs had a personality Like the score bug where when Instead of showing a number, It showed a score of &e0 which I just ignored at first but Now I noticed that was a unique bug that was not nessisary to fix, That was a thing I am dissapointed about with minecraft, So overall, The game rates a 9 out of 10 But I want to soo badly Rate a 10. Expand
  33. Feb 4, 2012
    When I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its lowWhen I first played Minecraft, it was one of the best experiences I had in my life. But as the months dragged on, I found myself doing the same thing over and over again. People always say that the real fun is on multiplayer servers, yet the only thing I see are people running around in full diamond killing others as they spawn. Another thing that definitely brought the game to its low point was the complete lack of updates. From alpha to full release, only two hostile monsters were added (Enderman and Enderdragon). Notch killed the entire reputation of Minecraft by moving onto Scrolls with so many unfulfilled promises he made. The one that sticks out the most is the AI in NPCs; there is no dialogue whatsoever, no shops that you trade at, no quests, and they don't react to anything that's done to them at all. There are so many illogical things in the game to; if you eat zombie flesh, poisoning is supposed to cause harm to you, yet if you eat enough to bring your hunger bar to max, you'll be healed. The overall thing though is that the game doesn't last very long and new things such as mobs are very sparse. Expand
  34. Feb 2, 2012
    The game isn't horrible, but for 30 dollars this isn't worth it for the average person. Survival becomes incredibly boring once you're done making your house with all your friends(this game is horrible unless you play it with friends). Unless you can sit for hours and build crazy things with your friends, this is a no go. Setting up your own server isn't hard, but the lack of a serverThe game isn't horrible, but for 30 dollars this isn't worth it for the average person. Survival becomes incredibly boring once you're done making your house with all your friends(this game is horrible unless you play it with friends). Unless you can sit for hours and build crazy things with your friends, this is a no go. Setting up your own server isn't hard, but the lack of a server browser is a major detriment to the game, the multiplayer is the only good aspect, me and my friend bought the game when it was $15 and have played it a lot, but it has a sizable amount of problems as everyone else has explained. The game is good if you and your buds can sit around building crazy stuff, but don't expect a 10/10 amazing experience that critics promise. Expand
  35. Feb 1, 2012
    In my opinion, Minecraft was fun and Notch was being a cool guy and listening to his fans and adding stuff on their opinions, however the fun stopped when the full game was released. The full game didn't have much news things then anticipated, just beta but with like 10 new things. Minecraft had its time in the sun at around beta when all was well and everything was fun however the "FullIn my opinion, Minecraft was fun and Notch was being a cool guy and listening to his fans and adding stuff on their opinions, however the fun stopped when the full game was released. The full game didn't have much news things then anticipated, just beta but with like 10 new things. Minecraft had its time in the sun at around beta when all was well and everything was fun however the "Full Game" was quite disappointing and that just made me think that it wasn't worth playing. I liked it for like 2 weeks but that's it; the game is still crawling with bugs and the promising "Full Version" was a complete let down. Expand
  36. Feb 1, 2012
    Minecraft is a creative and fun game. Unlimited world space. and you can build whatever you want in this game. Ive spend over 100 hours playing this game. Great job Notch!
  37. Jan 31, 2012
    A great example to use in the "Graphics don't make a game good" argument with its unhealthily addictive gameplay. Single player will last only as long as your imagination will let you and multiplayer is fantastic. A lot of multiplayer servers have their own little community that are friendly enough to welcome you in and help build if you don't have your own friends to play with and feelA great example to use in the "Graphics don't make a game good" argument with its unhealthily addictive gameplay. Single player will last only as long as your imagination will let you and multiplayer is fantastic. A lot of multiplayer servers have their own little community that are friendly enough to welcome you in and help build if you don't have your own friends to play with and feel that way inclined. To counter the low scores given by people, I'd have to say "Did you get your moneys worth?". Sure there is no multiplayer server browser (You need to use Google to find servers), the achievements are tacked on, the NPC A.I is barely there and Notch may have promised more than he delivered but £12 for what can easily turn into 50+ or even 100+ hours of truly enjoyable and fun gameplay makes it unimportant to me.

Did I get my moneys worth? Definitely.
  38. Jan 27, 2012
    All you do in MineCraft is smack everything with whatever's in your hand.I'll only respect that retro gamers will like this game, but not much else...
  39. Jan 27, 2012
    Un jeu que j'aime particulièrement. Grâce a un amis je l'ai découvert et je me demanderait que ferai je sans ce jeu. Il mérite plus qu'un 10/10 au moins 15/10... =D
  40. Jan 27, 2012
    First off, if you think this game sucks, you are one of the MOST stupidest people on the face of the Earth. I mean, there is nothing bad about Minecraft. When you first play the game, you generate a open world with trees, grass, sand, water, etc. Once you get some wood, that's when the REALLY starts to to get exiting. You build your own house, fight some monsters to get some resources andFirst off, if you think this game sucks, you are one of the MOST stupidest people on the face of the Earth. I mean, there is nothing bad about Minecraft. When you first play the game, you generate a open world with trees, grass, sand, water, etc. Once you get some wood, that's when the REALLY starts to to get exiting. You build your own house, fight some monsters to get some resources and many more. My only complaint about this game is the ending. The ending is just a 10 minute long story of text then its the credits. So I think that can be improved. Plus, the game updates every so often so you will never get bored. Definitely worth your both your time and money. Expand
  41. Jan 26, 2012
    When I read the negative reviews, I mostly see people complaining about how much fun the game was a year or 2 ago. They say it is boring and doesn't get updated anymore. BAH! I challenge these people to name 1 game they played for multiple years that wasn't a time sink, soul devouring MMO that they didn't get bored with after playing the heck out of it. I can't, they can't, you can't.When I read the negative reviews, I mostly see people complaining about how much fun the game was a year or 2 ago. They say it is boring and doesn't get updated anymore. BAH! I challenge these people to name 1 game they played for multiple years that wasn't a time sink, soul devouring MMO that they didn't get bored with after playing the heck out of it. I can't, they can't, you can't. The fact is, this game is fun. It takes you back to the days when creativity and imagination were enough to keep you entertained. So many of these kids nowadays are so cracked out on Mountain Dew and Call of Duty, that they forgot what using their own creativity feels like.

Minecraft is a game that you will buy and enjoy. A LOT. The world is your oyster in Minecraft. Want to build something magnificent? CHECK. Want to explore a new, random world every time you load? CHECK. Want to create weapons, machines, farm, raise livestock, fish, build your own world? CHECK. Want to explore caverns, search for rare gems/rocks, fight zombies & skeletons? CHECK. The point is, there is a lot to do, a lot to keep you entertained and it is worth every penny you will spend. What more do you want in a game? Truly, the only potential turnoff is the graphics. Some people will hate having a PC with a GTX 580 and playing a game that looks so archaic. I challenge those people to go DL a texture pack or just give it a shot. If you have any shred of imagination you will like this game.
  42. Jan 25, 2012
    Minecraft is fun when your first get it, it gives you an amazing feeling of solitude (before caveman squidwards were implemented) and then your entertained as you discover recipies and find your first diamond.

However if your like me, who likes goals in games, once you have everything what is there to do? Also not to mention there is a massive bug list for the game which have yet to be fixed. The players are the people that make minecraft fun by creating custom maps/skins and mods. It also seems notch is milking the cow a bit too much i mean look. minecraft lego? If they introduce DLC that'l prove my theory.

To the point - good game for a little while, but for the price you can get more entertaining games with less bugs and more fulfilled dev promises.
  43. Jan 24, 2012
    I must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, theI must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, the game itself is 4 hour, mediocre, half broken game, not worth your money. With mods, it would be a 75, but without, it's a 2. Mojang and Notch need to wake the **** up. The game is apparently released, yet it still is, in all honesty, a beta, if not an alpha version. Expand
  44. Jan 21, 2012
    Pros:
    -Most fun you can have online with your friends
    -Innovative gameplay -Redstone circuit stuffs -Building gives you a sense of accomplishment because u had to find the materials -Mods if you want to (lots of em) -Texture packs galore -Systems and things (mob systems, etc. are fun to build) -Quirks (weird bugs that make certain devices possible, adds complexity) -Good Graphics (they
    Pros:
    -Most fun you can have online with your friends
    -Innovative gameplay
    -Redstone circuit stuffs
    -Mods if you want to (lots of em)
    -Texture packs galore
    -Systems and things (mob systems, etc. are fun to build)
    -Quirks (weird bugs that make certain devices possible, adds complexity)
    -Good Graphics (they chose a style and did it well)
    -No tutorial (tutorials piss me off)

Cons:
    -Glitchy (also a pro, see above)
    -Laggy
    -No tutorial (for me this wasn't a problem, minecraftwiki.net is an excellent resource)
    -Final Release is rushed (give them a break guys, people begged them to release the full game, and so they set up MineCon and then rushed to complete the game on time - since when does a game developer ever release a game on time????)
    -Unfinished features (this will be fixed though eventually)
    -Weak AI (this is not that bad, the AI actually allows you to do certain things like mob system, but new AI is coming soon and would be appreciated)
  45. Jan 21, 2012
    This game isn't perfect, but it's very fun. While Minecraft's main goal (defeat the Enderdragon) won't take that much time to complete, it's not necessarily the goal to focus on. The best part, I think, is the sandbox element. Take blocks that represent iron, water, sand, snow, etc. and make whatever you want. There are many devices to help you build just about anything imaginable. AThis game isn't perfect, but it's very fun. While Minecraft's main goal (defeat the Enderdragon) won't take that much time to complete, it's not necessarily the goal to focus on. The best part, I think, is the sandbox element. Take blocks that represent iron, water, sand, snow, etc. and make whatever you want. There are many devices to help you build just about anything imaginable. A great game for people who like to build things. Expand
  46. Jan 21, 2012
    This review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull butThis review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull but idc atleast it isnt trolling 0/10 Expand
  47. Jan 21, 2012
    The singleplayer is quite fun for awhile as long as you have imagination, but once you show off all your things to your friends, it starts to become boring as you no longer have a purpose of making things. The multiplayer would be awesome, but it just has too many trolls and griefers to show off your creations to the whole world because one you leave, and the next morning you get up andThe singleplayer is quite fun for awhile as long as you have imagination, but once you show off all your things to your friends, it starts to become boring as you no longer have a purpose of making things. The multiplayer would be awesome, but it just has too many trolls and griefers to show off your creations to the whole world because one you leave, and the next morning you get up and get on, your awesome creation would probably be destroyed and replaced with some crappy wood house. The graphics are bad, but its okay to live with, but in all, I don't think the game is worth $27, I bought GMOD for $10 and its basically a builder game too but with better graphics. Overall, an overpriced game that gets boring after awhile. Expand
  48. Jan 21, 2012
    Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience?Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience? First off, there's no tutorial or whatsoever. You'll have no idea what to do on your first playthrough - luckily there's a fan made wiki which will supply you with detailed information about every aspect of the game - but WHY do we have to rely on these kind of sources? Why is there no official tutorial or instructions? I understand that some people enjoyed the aspect of exploring and finding things on their own - but goddamn there aren't even crafting instructions.
    The game itself plays off rather nicely at the start; you randomly break blocks, suddenly it's noon. You build a shelter and start collecting resources... Then what? Nothing. The game becomes bland. There's no objective or win-stage. If you're creative you might still have fun, designing small contraptions and stuff. Maybe after some time playing you'll have an objective set for yourself - which is just collecting resources. But there is only a handful of resources in the game, and it doesn't take long until you get them all. There are some other things that you can do, like build a portal to the nether, or travel to the end... but how are you supposed to know these things exist, without, once again, checking the wiki or getting help?? Everything is simply scattered around the game and the devs expect the player to find these elements on his own while in reality it's an impossible task without some sort of guide or help.
    Then there's multiplayer - a fresh aspect for the game. After you've finished toying around with single player you'll probably want to try out multiplayer. But, guess what? There's no server list (only favorites), you have to type an IP of a server yourself - and where in the hell are you supposed to even get one? In addition to that there are no official game servers or a real way of obtaining a server IP other that asking a friend for a one or searching for a good one on the internet for countless hours. Once again, everything is simply scattered and feels unfinished. I've been playing for a while, so I know how to play the game and what to do. But I almost never find myself just randomly playing. The game gets BORING and the oblivious devs completely didn't take that into account while making this. Let's leave the gameplay-wise section. The game itself, has poor graphics compared to other games todays. Notch's reason for using pixellated graphics is to maintain a "retro" feel. And I can accept that - but WHY does the game take up so many system resources!? I can run Skyrim, Crysis, L.A Noire and other games in the highest settings but this game just slows down after a while and slows down my entire computer. I have occasional lag spikes and even crashes from time to time. This proves Notch didn't care for performance and wanted to release his game asap just to get it out there and earn more money from critic reviews. The game is also COMPLETELY overpriced - I've enjoyed The Binding of Isaac which is only 5$ MUCH more than I've enjoyed this game - And I bought it when it was just 10 euros. It should've stayed with that price, but it didn't. The game is also overpraised just because of what it's been through. All of the critics giving insanely high and undeserving scores have obviously played the game in the beta stage and were eagerly waiting for the game to come out so that they can review it. If the game DIDN'T have an alpha-beta stage and would just come out as it is today without no one knowing about it previously it would've gotten VERY low scores. It's a bad game. It would've been BUTCHERED by critics. Heck, if I could show Notch what his game would become he would've completely changed his plans. But instead he's money hungry. He has made so many promises that he didn't keep, like different gameplay modes or official mod support. I didn't even write about the other crummy features of the game in my review - like the so-called "end" - which is just a boring, artificially difficult boss fight, or the level up system which actually relies on the simple click-to-spam combat. There are even non-responsive NPCs in the game which Notch promised a long time ago but didn't have the patience/time/power to finish them. The game feels unfinished for an old player like me or confusing and bland for new player. It's shameful how it's getting these amazing scores from critics - it simply shouldn't. I'm giving it a 4 because I did spend a lot of time playing it with friends, and made a few creations which felt mostly rewarding and even fun. Thanks for the read.
  49. Jan 20, 2012
    Minecraft is... well interesting. While at first glance, graphics seem poor and gameplay stagnant, they say you are only limited by your imagination. While not entirely true, it does accomplish many things that may make it seem that way. First, the world is infinitely large for the most part and is "randomly" generated based on the seed for the world. This may very well the best thingMinecraft is... well interesting. While at first glance, graphics seem poor and gameplay stagnant, they say you are only limited by your imagination. While not entirely true, it does accomplish many things that may make it seem that way. First, the world is infinitely large for the most part and is "randomly" generated based on the seed for the world. This may very well the best thing about the game. The lack of boundaries and varied terrain give it a feel no other game has. Next, it has random caves, the nether, the end, the enderdragon, creatures (both good and evil), npc villages, a wire system, crafting, enchanting, etc. Many of these things serve their own purpose, but a few are noticeably a WIP, which I can NOT respect in a game that has been "released". Call me old fashioned, but I like games to be COMPLETED on release as it should be the final product. The first major drawback to me are the villagers. These human-like npcs are unresponsive and simply walk around, even if attacked. They serve NO purpose other than decoration for the villages. Next, the Nether is basically worthless. Go once and hope to find once of those premade dungeons to get the items you need. Leave and hope you never have to go back to that bland atmosphere. Finally, I really began to dislike the newest additions such as the Enderdragon, Enchanting, Villages, Strongholds, Ruins, Mineshafts, or basically anything premade in the world generator. It doesn't feel like the original Minecraft and they all lack any personality. While these drawbacks may seem severe, I find that the gameplay is excellent in most cases provided you learn how to use the wire system and are patient. My final downside for the game is actually related to its price. $28 USD for this is RIDICULOUS. I'm glad I bought it in beta during the wedding sale ($22 for 2 copies). The game isn't worth over $15. If it wasn't so highly priced, I would have given it a 9, but it isn't worth the cost. Expand
  50. Jan 19, 2012
    A great creative game that I spent a lot of hours on, the fact that you can almost do anything is the thing that usually sucks me in, plus, the graphics although not super good, are great at making the feel of minecraft.
  51. Jan 18, 2012
    I've played a lot of different types of games, but in the end, Minecraft probably brings home the best game award. It's incredibly fun and addicting, and it's got the whole sandbox idea down. I can agree with people that it can get boring after awhile, but that's where the forums come in. The amazing community provides thousands of different mods and adventure maps to play with whenI've played a lot of different types of games, but in the end, Minecraft probably brings home the best game award. It's incredibly fun and addicting, and it's got the whole sandbox idea down. I can agree with people that it can get boring after awhile, but that's where the forums come in. The amazing community provides thousands of different mods and adventure maps to play with when vanilla survival just isn't enough. I've played Minecraft for about 1-2 years now, but I'm still as in love with it as I was when I started playing it. There's been a few times where I've gotten completely bored with it, but then I just wait about a month and I'm hooked again. The replay value is amazing, the lack of story line is excused because of the style of the game and surprisingly enough, the graphics are amazing. Before you jump to conclusions, I do realize that the graphics are all "blocky and square". But that's what makes it so amazing, it recreates the pixel feeling from old video games, looks great, and accept it or not, it's a big part of the game it self. It wouldn't really be Minecraft without the "blockness", would it? Expand
  52. Jan 17, 2012
    This game is incredibly fantastic. It's a game of creation and imagination. You can build anything you want, so long as you have the resources for it. That true to life scale of the arc de triumphe feels much more amazing, knowing you carved out every block for the resources, and built it yourself. Although, if you're shy of the work, there is a creative mode; like a much more fun andThis game is incredibly fantastic. It's a game of creation and imagination. You can build anything you want, so long as you have the resources for it. That true to life scale of the arc de triumphe feels much more amazing, knowing you carved out every block for the resources, and built it yourself. Although, if you're shy of the work, there is a creative mode; like a much more fun and interesting game of virtual legos. All in all, this game is as awesome as you are. It gives you the tools, and removes the barrier to entry to create whatever is in your imagination. I love this game. And the replay value is limitless. Expand
  53. Jan 16, 2012
    This can be one of the best games you ever play. It has very simple gameplay that can become addicting quickly. Sadly, it has no introduction and no tutorial. So new players can enter the game and have no idea what to do. I recommend that you use YouTube and watch the first few episodes of a "Let's Play Minecraft", this should give you a general idea if you want the game and will teach youThis can be one of the best games you ever play. It has very simple gameplay that can become addicting quickly. Sadly, it has no introduction and no tutorial. So new players can enter the game and have no idea what to do. I recommend that you use YouTube and watch the first few episodes of a "Let's Play Minecraft", this should give you a general idea if you want the game and will teach you the basics of it. Expand
  54. Jan 15, 2012
    Minecraft is game for those, who don't have good PC to play games that have nice graphics, interesting gameplay. What can you say me about Minecraft?
    Gameplay?
    That stupid cubes are interesting for first 2-3 hours, next time they are annoying, craft recipes isn't interesting too, world is always same, same mobs, same dungeons, only location changes. I think, if this game would be developed
    Gameplay?
    I think, if this game would be developed in 2000 year it would be a super game for all people, but for today it doesn't work.
    So, if you don't have powerful PC or you like indie games, Minecraft is game for you.
  55. Jan 14, 2012
    The game 'Minecraft' is one of those few games where it all depends on 1 thing: Your imagination. Now, before we get into that, let's start at the basics of the game: There are no goals, no rules, no limits, and no confinement of room. So, what will you do? You could create a mine-shaft, build a house, plant trees, and much more. But the underlined question that defines whether or notThe game 'Minecraft' is one of those few games where it all depends on 1 thing: Your imagination. Now, before we get into that, let's start at the basics of the game: There are no goals, no rules, no limits, and no confinement of room. So, what will you do? You could create a mine-shaft, build a house, plant trees, and much more. But the underlined question that defines whether or not you'll like Minecraft is: 'How far can you stretch your imagination?' If you aren't imaginative, the game can get quite bland very quickly. Whether it be because of the lack of a system of goals or no real 'ending' (Now there is as of Minecraft 1.0), the player's luster and determination to do things goes down pretty quickly. If you are imaginative and constantly think of things you could do, then you will LOVE this game. The possibilities are quite literally, endless. Multiplayer with friends is also a joy to behold! You can fight monsters in groups, set up a village, or do whatever you want! Minecraft is an all-around great game, as long as you have the imagination to cope with it. Expand
  56. Jan 14, 2012
    Minecraft is the most overrated game ever. The idea deserves 10, indeed, but the execution is... a tragedy.

The game has been developed for THREE YEARS and it is FAR FROM BEING FINISHED, even though it has the 'Full Release' title. Notch did a horrible job with the game. He wasted the enormous potential. Slow lazy greedy Swede who ruined the game. Rushed half-features for which nobody has asked. If there weren't any mods, Minecraft would become boring after 5 hours of playing.

Don't buy it. Don't waste your money. Many clones of Minecraft are being created. Who knows, one may beat this extremely overrated title.
  57. Jan 13, 2012
    why the hell is everyone complaining?whoever paid for it is still receiving updates all the time,i love the game,and everytime an update comes out i go try it,to me?a solid 10,an excellent idea growing each day more and more,wait for the final version,most games you buy,you end them in 8 hours and they fall into oblivion because there is no new content on them and the ones which have newwhy the hell is everyone complaining?whoever paid for it is still receiving updates all the time,i love the game,and everytime an update comes out i go try it,to me?a solid 10,an excellent idea growing each day more and more,wait for the final version,most games you buy,you end them in 8 hours and they fall into oblivion because there is no new content on them and the ones which have new content are PAYED after you already BOUGHT the freakin game. this one?payed for it and still looks like a new one Expand
  58. Jan 13, 2012
    Great game at making a soapbox type world builder. Needs more things to do other than just mining and building. Something for a more challenge to do alongside the building.
  59. Jan 12, 2012
    If you look past the marketing and retro graphics and play the game for what it is instead of being critical from every observation, I promise you will be amazed
  60. Jan 9, 2012
    I have played Minecraft since close to the end of Alpha, In the time between there and now it has changed quite a lot. For the good or for the worse is completely for you to decide. I'm fine with the way it wen't, From a building game of awesome to adding adventure elements to spice the game up it. A great Developer team who chat with the community all the time to some of the greatestI have played Minecraft since close to the end of Alpha, In the time between there and now it has changed quite a lot. For the good or for the worse is completely for you to decide. I'm fine with the way it wen't, From a building game of awesome to adding adventure elements to spice the game up it. A great Developer team who chat with the community all the time to some of the greatest support from the gaming community in a long time. I suggest that instead of reading these reviews you go over to YouTube and see what this game has to offer. As for myself, I will be playing Minecraft for a long, long time after this. Expand
  61. Jan 9, 2012
    Good for spendind a short time playing a video game when you're out of options. Not that fun to play the whole day during months like other games, but it is enjoyable. Playing alone is bad, but in a multiplayer server with the friend it's nice.
  62. Jan 9, 2012
    now if you haven't bought minecraft already you need to NOW...but to those that have bought minecraft and not installed any mods, can't you help but feel like this game after a while gets tiring? the vanilla game after not to long gets tedious and the search for diamonds seems too elongated to have a glorified success after the first 1-2 times but with mods installed this game is a 10 butnow if you haven't bought minecraft already you need to NOW...but to those that have bought minecraft and not installed any mods, can't you help but feel like this game after a while gets tiring? the vanilla game after not to long gets tedious and the search for diamonds seems too elongated to have a glorified success after the first 1-2 times but with mods installed this game is a 10 but i cant give the vanilla game as much its just too plain. Expand
  63. Jan 8, 2012
    Awesome game, it don't matters the graphics because that's the idea. A game which has no limits except your imagination. This awesome game deserves an awesome score. 10/10
  64. Jan 8, 2012
    Minecraft is a very good game where you can do a lot of things just with block... You can have a lot of fun... Notch is a pretty cool guy the game is really awesome.......................
  65. Jan 7, 2012
    A wonderfully balanced game. With all of the different mods and texture packs, you can never get bored. Multiplayer is awesome and I've sunk hundreds of hours. Definitely a 10.
  66. Jan 6, 2012
    The survival mode is fun the first night, when you have literally nothing but your bare hands and a small hole in the ground you dug up to hide. After that, its downhill. The game never gets harder and the enemies never get smarter. Your complex set of booby traps, amazing rail system to your escape bunker, and stores of supplies you've gathered to "weather the storm" are overkill. That'sThe survival mode is fun the first night, when you have literally nothing but your bare hands and a small hole in the ground you dug up to hide. After that, its downhill. The game never gets harder and the enemies never get smarter. Your complex set of booby traps, amazing rail system to your escape bunker, and stores of supplies you've gathered to "weather the storm" are overkill. That's when you realized you are tired of playing this game. That's when you realize you wasted quite a bit of money. Here's hoping that a future update will improve the survival mode! Oh wait, Notch says his "lawyers" say he can't guarantee our purchase covers future content. Good game... Expand
  67. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is severely overrated. The creator now hardly updates it at all, and there isn't really that much to do. People say that you need to explore or build if you don't have anything to do but that's boring... I don't want to spend 3 hours building some stupid castle that won't be worth anything when I could enjoy that 3 hours on another game
  68. Jan 4, 2012
    Minecraft is game witch is some what hard to try to compare to any other and that is one of its greatest strong points. There have been games in the past that were some what based around the idea that Minecraft is built on, but where they failed Minecraft has managed to do it brilliantly. The massive and open world is a blank canvas for the gamer to build or destroy what ever they feel.Minecraft is game witch is some what hard to try to compare to any other and that is one of its greatest strong points. There have been games in the past that were some what based around the idea that Minecraft is built on, but where they failed Minecraft has managed to do it brilliantly. The massive and open world is a blank canvas for the gamer to build or destroy what ever they feel. Which give a feeling of great feedback towards the player. And has a re-playability way beyond anything that has been released to this date. It is a gaming landmark and an eye opener for other gaming developers around the world. Expand
  69. Jan 4, 2012
    minecraft is a little bit fun but the graphics are terrible, its just blocks and bits of rubbish , cheap and not good also very unrealistic because i could just put a random block in the middle of the sky
  70. Jan 3, 2012
    I was going to give this game a 10 but the block for 10 got blown up by a Creeper so it'll have to do with a 9+ A very fun game that is great for relaxing and planning vs the frantic intensity of an FPS or hack and slash of a dungeon crawl in Skyrim. This game is great for relaxing, and building something cool but also with the planning so your creation doesn't get destroyed. MinecraftI was going to give this game a 10 but the block for 10 got blown up by a Creeper so it'll have to do with a 9+ A very fun game that is great for relaxing and planning vs the frantic intensity of an FPS or hack and slash of a dungeon crawl in Skyrim. This game is great for relaxing, and building something cool but also with the planning so your creation doesn't get destroyed. Minecraft appeals to both the old school gamer and the new gamer, it's more of a thinking person's game but is also friendly to the casual gamer if you don't want to risk having your creations destroyed. All in all a fun and enjoyable game to play. Expand
  71. Jan 3, 2012
    I cannot stop playing this game it is so much fun. The possibilities are endless, you can do and build whatever you can think of. I agree the graphics are not the best, but Notch has even said he supports texture packs. Notch has said he's not an artist. Me and my kids play it all the time. What other game can you make your own adventures up? Build whatever you want? I don't think theirI cannot stop playing this game it is so much fun. The possibilities are endless, you can do and build whatever you can think of. I agree the graphics are not the best, but Notch has even said he supports texture packs. Notch has said he's not an artist. Me and my kids play it all the time. What other game can you make your own adventures up? Build whatever you want? I don't think their are that many other games. When I first saw this game, I thought it was the worst game ever because of the graphics. Then i played 20 minutes of it and didn't want to stop it was so much fun. It is worth the $20. I can't see any reason to not like this game. Listen to the critics and play the game longer than 5 minutes so you can see how good the game actually is. Expand
  72. Jan 3, 2012
    the game is very fun until you slave away to make a huge structure and you are rewarded with nothing and its isnt very compatable with many systems as java makes it very laggy but the game is ok
  73. Jan 3, 2012
    Me-Buys 2000$ computer that can run Crysis and Skyrim Maxed out with full anti-aliasing
    MInecraft- Java
    Me- Cant run 256x256 texture packs without lag
    Java, I'm done here
  74. Jan 2, 2012
    30 for this? Seriously?

30 for this? Seriously?

This game still reeks of "beta," not a finished product. There simply is nothing to do. The gameplay has no point and gets old after five minutes. Performance is terrible, even on decently-powerful computers--it simply isn't optimized. So then I decided to try some mods, but even the mods themselves are fragmented. Single-player mods don't necessarily function in multiplayer (even though core Minecraft gameplay is unchanged between single and multi), and heaven forbid you want to mod a dedicated server--that has a whole separate set of dependencies and issues to contend with. And even when they do work, they're nothing different from questing and crafting in games that you've already heard about.

Maybe it's one of those games that takes time to grow on you, so I'll give it another week. I just fear that there may not be a week's worth of stuff to actually do. Other than mine, build, and kill stuff. Which I did on day one.
  75. Jan 2, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the media attention and hype surrounding Minecraft : It is an incomplete mess of a product - I'm not even calling it a game, it's only intention from day one was to line Notch's grubby pockets with more gold. The game is supposed to have a "retro" feel to it, it was meant to be a "fresh" new indie game which "innovated" the genre. Pay little attention to any reviewDon't be fooled by the media attention and hype surrounding Minecraft : It is an incomplete mess of a product - I'm not even calling it a game, it's only intention from day one was to line Notch's grubby pockets with more gold. The game is supposed to have a "retro" feel to it, it was meant to be a "fresh" new indie game which "innovated" the genre. Pay little attention to any review which uses any of these buzzwords. For anyone that played any games which could be defined as retro, you would understand that these games made best use of the graphics they had available to them at the time. Some of them could even be described as visual masterpieces. Minecraft feels like somebody who has never played a retro game in their life before and with little knowledge of the genre has rushed together an abortion of a better game. Every single video game is supposed to have a point, a purpose or a goal for the character or players to achieve. It could be as simple as "deactivating a bomb" or far more complex like the complete storylines found in many modern RPGs. What is the point of Minecraft? What is the player striving to achieve? Nothing. There is no point to anything in this game. Why are villages randomly spawned in the deserts? Can you even interact with the NPCs you find? You can't. There is no purpose to them whatsoever - If you attack them.. they do nothing... you cannot trade with them, they own no items and wander around aimlessly. If this game was still in a beta stage I could appreciate that this is work in progress. But it isn't... This is what the game developers actually want you to play.. this is the display of their talents for the world to see. The only pro of this game is the music, which although it is only a single track it is very soothing to dig away to in the middle of the night. Playing this game online with friends was supposed to be the clincher, but that really gets boring after a while, especially once you realise how poorly made the combat system is for this game. Even if every other aspect of this game was the same, if the developers had even bothered to introduce a decent combat system then I could appreciate this game for what it is, and even give it a better score. However the fact that the developers had left such a poor combat system - which was supposed to be one of the primary features of this game - seems to round this game off as a rushed product with no real intention of being decent. I recall retro games from the 1990s with hundreds of different combat features that wound the audience into the web of the games story. But minecraft only has ONE single click attack... that is it. You must beat your opponents to death with an array of different weapons (4 or 5 different coloured swords) and that really is it. Once you have a full set of Diamond armour pretty much any attacks made by NPCs against your character is made redundant and that makes the game far too easy - where is the replay value in that? Diamond armour can also be made only an hour or two into a game so there isn't even a challenging aspect for combat in this game. Expand
  76. Jan 2, 2012
    Although the others are right, as Notch has indeed become lazy and detached from the project, MineCraft is still a great game which can provide hours of fun. Although singleplayer loses its appeal after a while, multiplayer with friends is great and leads to a different experience every time you play. The random map generating system ensures you'll never play the same world twice. TheAlthough the others are right, as Notch has indeed become lazy and detached from the project, MineCraft is still a great game which can provide hours of fun. Although singleplayer loses its appeal after a while, multiplayer with friends is great and leads to a different experience every time you play. The random map generating system ensures you'll never play the same world twice. The graphical style looks old and quite ugly, but this can be overcome with the right texture packs. The 1x1x1 block system allows easy building. It's a great deal if you picked it up when it was in alpha. I'm not sure the current price tag is justified for a game that is not updated often anymore, though. Expand
  77. Jan 1, 2012
    Minecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimateMinecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimate mods, and how is that fun? Then they added crap to the nether, and etc. Minecraft is just like any other video game now. It's amazing how it turned to one of the year's best into the biggest trainwrecks this year. Is Minecraft still a good game? Yes, yes it is. Do I still play it? If I'm bored, yes. Do I recommend this game? Yes, but 1.8+ ruined some of the best elements of the game. In 1.9, they added Villagers, them alone ruins the clever feeling of YOU being the last person on earth. Which is how I felt before they came out. 1.0.0 had a bug, where servers are down, saying there is an invalid server key. Thirst was "added" but there is no bar, it just helps prevent your hunger from going down. I forgot to mention expirence, which makes this sandbox game into a RPG. These updated also, take the fun out of Mineraft, they are taking a blocky "creep controled" land, too seriously. However, what was Minecraft is still there, and you will still enjoy this game and probably always will. Minecraft will always be itself in a unique way, and it is worth the cheap 20 dollar price tag. Mojang and Markus Persson have overall, done proud with Minecraft and they still continue to update it. However, I still look forward to see what they have planned for us in the future as they are very intelligent and I'm sure they will release a few witty updates. Although its no longer a sandbox game, Minecraft is still enoyable, and that is what videogames are all about. Expand
  78. Dec 31, 2011
    Hurrah! I have deleted my game rating account and am back to doing games on here. The first thing I would like to say is that Minecraft is a helluva fun time, for a while. Skyrim had the same problem: after hours of fun, it gets boring. I got it for free, so I am not complaining, but kudos to the guys who had to pay for it.
  79. Dec 31, 2011
    Minecraft was definitely made for playing with a few friends, or if you're feeling a little adventurous, complete and total strangers. Single player is enjoyable, but only for a couple of days. I'm giving this a low score because of the price increase. Why the price increase? This official release seems no different from the beta. If it was still $10 I would have given this an 8 or even aMinecraft was definitely made for playing with a few friends, or if you're feeling a little adventurous, complete and total strangers. Single player is enjoyable, but only for a couple of days. I'm giving this a low score because of the price increase. Why the price increase? This official release seems no different from the beta. If it was still $10 I would have given this an 8 or even a 9! Minecraft has SO much potential, but Team Mojang seems like they're too busy trying to figure out the fastest and easiest way to funnel money into their pockets rather than fixing old bugs, or implementing some of the more popular mods into the game itself. Without player created mods, this game would have died out a lot faster. Expand
  80. Dec 31, 2011
    It features simple, intuitive, and interesting mechanics easily learned on the fly, yet it features an emergent depth of gameplay. I must say this game is a masterpiece even in this late alpha stage
  81. Dec 31, 2011
    It really is hard to review Minecraft. Some people review it by how it is made. Some people review it by the concept of the game. I am going to review it by both. I am going to say it's a bad game if you think by how it was made. Many things aren't done yet, and there are still thousand of bugs. But it was made by 5 people, and they were being rushed by thousands. But I think that theIt really is hard to review Minecraft. Some people review it by how it is made. Some people review it by the concept of the game. I am going to review it by both. I am going to say it's a bad game if you think by how it was made. Many things aren't done yet, and there are still thousand of bugs. But it was made by 5 people, and they were being rushed by thousands. But I think that the concept of the game kind of weighs up that is was badly made. I have been playing it for about a year and a half, and I still enjoy it. The limitation really is your imagination. Most games give you the content. Minecraft gives you the tools. So people who wants to be served content shouldn't play this game. People who can give them their own content should play it. I'm gonna give Minecraft 9 in score, because I know how to play it. Expand
  82. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok believe me in this I have been playing this game since ... September of 2010 I LOVED IT so much i still like it a lot BUT after the whole release of it idk I just dont feel the same if I had to vote on this game a year ago it would of been a 9.5 not it is a 7 because I think since notch left as lead just doesn't feel cool to keep up with.
  83. Dec 30, 2011
    First off, I feel totally betrayed by the game's developers. Early in the development cycle they were adding a whole lot of really interesting things (secret Friday updates were always a joy). Right around 1.6, 1.7 though, the quality of development dropped with an almost audible 'clunk'. Instead of new, interesting things, we get... wolves. Well okay, fine - they can just fix bugs for aFirst off, I feel totally betrayed by the game's developers. Early in the development cycle they were adding a whole lot of really interesting things (secret Friday updates were always a joy). Right around 1.6, 1.7 though, the quality of development dropped with an almost audible 'clunk'. Instead of new, interesting things, we get... wolves. Well okay, fine - they can just fix bugs for a while and maybe do performance optimization, maybe - but they didn't even really do that. For a while, the updates were adding as many bugs as they were fixing. My heart sank when I realized that they were going to add a level system... because I knew they would not do it justice.

And that's exactly what happened. Some odd months later, we get the "retail" version of minecraft. At the last second (really, the last month of its development to this period was a *massive* crunch), they started shoving in a bunch of features that users didn't really want or even cared for. None of these really expanded game time at all - people who had already caught the carrot at the end of the stick would feel cheated. We got animal breeding, NPC villages... which are really just mobs that don't do anything, and more randomly generated structures, all-in-all. The biomes were improved, we got some changes to seed generation and other such minor fixes that didn't really impact gameplay - but made it a whole lot more sellable. The final straw? Dragons. They were so pathetic and desperate for sales, they literally slapped in a dragon to a spot where they simply ran out of ideas. Considering Skyrim came out around the same time... yeah. Sigh. Even worse, the devs had hinted at more interesting game modes, which simply never materialized.

But you'll note I gave it a 7, still. This is because the game, at is very core elements, deserve that. If you haven't played it before, the easy comparison is electronic legos with a greater sense of reward. The "game" elements to it, survival mode, really only exist to make the creative part of it more rewarding. Monsters are not difficult to fight and absurdly predictable, AI pathfinding is so laughably bad it'll routinely fall down into lava or kill itself, health regenerates pretty quickly, and nothing really hurts you with armor. In fact, mid-to-late game, the only thing that can really kill you is lava, and that's if you're really being dumb about mining in the first place. It's not really 'surviving' it's "building" which is occasionally interrupted by the need to gather materials, kill some monsters, and eat food. You don't need to build walls to protect yourself - the most safe thing to do is just dig a hole in the ground. Really.

That all being said, the game is wonderfully fun for the first week or so if you have any desire to build things. If you have a goal you want to materialize, Minecraft is addictive, simple, and fun. Multiplayer is great in every sense except for PvP which is *almost* pointless.

But the true potential in the game is actually the fact that it's in Java, there's an absurdly large modding community, and the devs screwed up so hard at the end. Mods have literally increased the amount of time I've played this game by a factor of five, if not more. If you like building, there's Buildcraft. If you like crazy fun things, there's Equivalent Exchange. If you like end game things, there's Industrialcraft 2. If you like circuits, there's Redpower 2. Simple mods are so trivial and easy to make it doesn't even require a working knowledge of Java. The tutorials will guide you literally through every step. If you're looking for a canvas to mod and add your own ideas to, while learning a language, this is clearly the game for you.

It's a seven because while great, they stopped making it good halfway through and just started adding in things that would help it sell. I got it for half off the beta price and it was well worth my money, but if I had paid four times as much I might feel a little peeved. It's a creativity tool first and foremost, and while Mojang is a business, they missed a huge opportunity for the sake of cashing in as much money from this cow as possible. I would not advise you to get this on anything but the PC because mods are just that amazing.
  84. Zxp
    Dec 30, 2011
    At first I fell in love with this game from the start with the whole building and survival element of it,but it soon became very boring and repetitive,same old explore a cave,mine some minerals,and thus it got boring very fast..
    Another complaint I have to make is with the Developer themselves,Mojang.
    It seems to me that this said company does not take the game seriously and adds
    Another complaint I have to make is with the Developer themselves,Mojang.

It seems to me that this said company does not take the game seriously and adds pointless things to the game (Snowmen,Coloured sheep,Animal breeding,and so forth)
  85. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOSThe critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  86. Dec 30, 2011
    This game is amazing. I gave this game an 8 because it's still very buggy and Notch had told us that Survival Multiplayer would be fixed before the full release. But don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is still great and worth buying on its own. I bought Minecraft while it was in mid-Alpha so i only paid around $13. But $27 is still worth the price of this game, that I've spent daysThis game is amazing. I gave this game an 8 because it's still very buggy and Notch had told us that Survival Multiplayer would be fixed before the full release. But don't get me wrong, the multiplayer is still great and worth buying on its own. I bought Minecraft while it was in mid-Alpha so i only paid around $13. But $27 is still worth the price of this game, that I've spent days playing with friends. That's one thing, you either need friends that have this game or a server to play with others. And I know people have said that the single player gets boring after a while, but this is another reason to buy it...mods. This game has one of the largest modding communities I've ever seen. There are tons of mods that do just about anything that you wished vanilla Minecraft had. I've probably played this game more than any other game that I own, and plan on playing it more. Expand
  87. Dec 30, 2011
    MineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of peopleMineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of people have said, setting up a multiplayer server is terrible. Mojang, the creators of the game, throw the server software at you with little to no instructions. Sure they maybe some tutorials on YouTube and it may be very helpful but sometimes it just confuses you to the point of frustration. In summary, fun game for quite sometime but eventually will get boring and multiplayer is very weirdly setup. The game, all in all, didn't feel worth the 20 bucks I paid. Expand
  88. Dec 28, 2011
    Besides the game looking 20 years old, it is merely Lego on your computer screen. Only 6 year olds should be playing it as everyone else should have grown out of the need to put block on other blocks to make a castle or boat which does nothing, but alas, many have not.
  89. Dec 28, 2011
    Minecraft proved to be the great game independent of year 2011, Minecraft is a game that explores the infinite creativity and puts the games back at the top of survival.
  90. Dec 28, 2011
    Minecraft invented a whole new genre of games, but It's not like it used to be. There are some new features every update, but back when only Notch coded the game every friday new features were added in a secret update. Notch promised a lot of features for the final game, which never made it into the game yet.
    Also, the game is full of bugs and since it's no indie game anymore, they should at least try to keep the game bug-free. Minecraft is a good game, but it's not what it used to be - there are tons of other better games on the market.
  91. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is for those that enjoy creating. If you do not like creating, you will instantly be turned away. Now, this game, as many have already pointed out, the graphics are not that great, but what you must understand is that the game was not built to host amazing graphics, and that it is an indie game. The game isn't an AAA game, and if you can't rap your head around the fact it doesn'tThis game is for those that enjoy creating. If you do not like creating, you will instantly be turned away. Now, this game, as many have already pointed out, the graphics are not that great, but what you must understand is that the game was not built to host amazing graphics, and that it is an indie game. The game isn't an AAA game, and if you can't rap your head around the fact it doesn't have good graphics, and you can't play it because of that, then so be it. You get used to the games graphics, and then eventually love it, and its uniqueness. This game is hands-down amazing. I started playing when it was Alpha, and it didn't even have multiplayer at the time. Back then, it was so much fun to play Single Player, because you had an entire world to explore and make a house impervious to enemies, find out all the tricks to the game and the like. I have played many games, and I must say, this game compels you strongly to build bigger houses, get better gear, find better ways of producing your resources, and the like. Then Multiplayer came out-- the game became wonderful! Sure, it had a few kinks here and there, but having friends to explore that world with, makes you feel like you were a little kid again exploring the world as a free soul trying to find cool things to do. The only problem was, after Multiplayer came out, Single Player was not worth playing to me anymore, because my friends couldn't use the things I made, therefore Single Player felt worthless.But, the game is wonderful: music that fits the atmosphere, gripping gameplay that makes you thirst for more, and graphics that gives it, its own style and spot inside your heart. As a side note, forget all those people that keep complaining about Notch and his choices; everyone makes mistakes and he has made a few, but he has still tried to make the game great, even more so great than it already is. Expand
  92. Dec 27, 2011
    Minecraft is the best game ever.The Grafik is nice and if you don't like it,insall a texture pack.You want to play even more and more.Buy it,20 â
  93. Dec 27, 2011
    I bought the game a few months back and really got into it. I was playing single player and the wide range of things you can do in the game is only limited to your imagination. Granted, the graphics are not that good, but with MODS, you can really visually play the game the way you like. After days of playing, I started to get bored, maybe that's just me. I tried a server, which you canI bought the game a few months back and really got into it. I was playing single player and the wide range of things you can do in the game is only limited to your imagination. Granted, the graphics are not that good, but with MODS, you can really visually play the game the way you like. After days of playing, I started to get bored, maybe that's just me. I tried a server, which you can play with other people, but it still was pretty much void of players. I think if you had a friend to play with, the game would be more interesting.

It is a great game for the creative mind type people, but lacks the social aspect of some other games out there.
    Overall, I would highly recommend this game to anyone who likes to create and has an artistic mind. It is allot of fun and should be a game to have in your library.
  94. Dec 27, 2011
    While it doesnt have the looks, the sheer creativity sandbox aspect is a very big selling point, if you ever liked lego bricks as a kid this game is for you, chuck in some mods that add new visuals and things to play with, play on a co-op multiplayer server with friends and you have best reserve a lot of your real life time for this. Simple and Fun, and runs even on the **** PC.
  95. Dec 26, 2011
    Bugs, content which could have been made in a different way, lower FPS as the game has developed and no real change between BETA and official release, but why care? Spending a first night stuck in a cave in the dark, wondering what that green depressing creature is outside is probably one the best experiences you can get from any game. After a mad dash to find shelter in the first day,Bugs, content which could have been made in a different way, lower FPS as the game has developed and no real change between BETA and official release, but why care? Spending a first night stuck in a cave in the dark, wondering what that green depressing creature is outside is probably one the best experiences you can get from any game. After a mad dash to find shelter in the first day, ignoring everything, you come out into the daylight and well, it's beautiful. The landscapes are randomly generated and sometimes very odd, but look as if they have been hand crafted, the animals just tempt killing sprees and who doesn't like punching a tree?
    Minecraft may not be perfect for everyone, but it has potential and ongoing development is sure to give us a few hidden suprises.
  96. Dec 26, 2011
    What is this graphics in 2011? This is awful! I thought this game is very good. This was a big disappoint. This is a BAD game. Don't pay for it! This game has lots of bugs. BAD GAME
  97. Dec 25, 2011
    This game started off like other indies. Cheap Price, Cheap Game. High ratings go to people not realizing their ridiculous waist of money, almost 30$ for this bug ridden game. It's using popularity to their advantage and overcharging. Its not a bad game, but bugs, awful AI, awful graphics ruin it. Singleplayer is boring out of words, multiplayer is virtually impossible to create a server,This game started off like other indies. Cheap Price, Cheap Game. High ratings go to people not realizing their ridiculous waist of money, almost 30$ for this bug ridden game. It's using popularity to their advantage and overcharging. Its not a bad game, but bugs, awful AI, awful graphics ruin it. Singleplayer is boring out of words, multiplayer is virtually impossible to create a server, and when you join one you're restricted to areas or have to sign up at some stupid forum. Mods are the only cure to this game. One mod alone, in my opinion, doubles the fun of the game. The modders put more effort into this game than Mojang. And with their massive profits they haven't even fixed very old bugs. Expand
  98. Dec 25, 2011
    how could you hate a game that lets you do whatever you want there is no downside if you dont like something mods are easy as pie and ill bet most haters dont play on a server with friends cause thats where the real fun is
  99. Dec 24, 2011
    It's not for everyone.

Let's be honest here: Minecraft is an internet phenomenon and it's something that has gone crazy mainstream, and if you haven't tried it you owe it to yourself to do so. It's pretty impressive that the basics of this game were written by a single person. I have been following Minecraft since mid-2010 and it's the game that I sincerely want to love, but I just....
    It's not for everyone.

I have been following Minecraft since mid-2010 and it's the game that I sincerely want to love, but I just.... can't. It's good, but it's just not for me and whether or not you're going to like a game like this depends solely on how much of a 'builder' you have in you. Some people just have a proclivity for making things, playing with legos, building stuff in a shed, tinkering with their car, etc, and if you're one of those people then this game is like catnip for you. But if you're a person that likes to sample things but not get too involved, or play competitive style games, or be 'the best' at something, then take a pass.

Minecraft is, essentially, a simplified map editor that you get in other games like Starcraft or Civilization. If you played a game like Starcraft or Warcraft and used to pore over the editor making the perfect map, then this game is probably for you, but if you spent all your time online on ladder then it's probably not. It's a good game for what it is, but it's definitely a niche game and not for everybody.
  100. Dec 23, 2011
    Poorly implemented ideas, stale gameplay, it gives you no idea of what you are supposed to do and it is full of bugs. Plus now it is marketed to autistic 8 year olds, not the fans who made it popular in the first place. I cannot believe how much greed governs it now. Finish your games before releasing them.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]