7.4

1. Nov 28, 2016
    I remember this game first game out, It was amazing and a lot of fun but now they have added so much crap and it is not what it used to be.This game is dead
  2. Oct 6, 2016
    Let me sum up why Minecraft should seriously try a little harder by showing you an example featuring one of it's rivals that it is frequently compared to - Terraria. Ok, so in Minecraft you have the bow. In Terraria you have 26 bows all with different powers. Plus Minecraft isn't on Steam, which sucks a whole bunch.
  3. Aug 29, 2016
    Well so what can i say about this Game?

What made the biggest negative impact was every patch above 1.7.10. Most of the mods are not compatible with higher versions so i guess the modders feel same.

You atleast need optifine to not immediately kill yourself.
    Eats Ram like hot dogs.
    If you got a chance to get it for less than 20€ then do it. Not worth more than 10 bucks tbh.
  4. Aug 22, 2016
    Extensos modos de juego algo mas cortos en un jugador en los típicos modos de juego. Si quieres salirte del los modos de juego por defecto necesitaras mapas, comandos, servidores o mods; eso si completamente gratis. Por lo contrario a pesar de ser free to play necesitaras pagar para que los demás usuarios puedan ver tu skin y poder tener acceso a servidores premium. Gráficos muy sencillosExtensos modos de juego algo mas cortos en un jugador en los típicos modos de juego. Si quieres salirte del los modos de juego por defecto necesitaras mapas, comandos, servidores o mods; eso si completamente gratis. Por lo contrario a pesar de ser free to play necesitaras pagar para que los demás usuarios puedan ver tu skin y poder tener acceso a servidores premium. Gráficos muy sencillos pero que le dan mucha mas jugabilidad al juego y por lo tanto hasta el peor ordenador del mercado podría iniciarlo pero por lo contrario no muy buena optimización en cuanto a FPS en dispositivos normales los que podría suponer tener que bajar la calidad de gráficos o descarga de programas externos para la mejora de estos Expand
  5. Jul 13, 2016
    Minecraft is alright. It's not bad, not at all, but it's just overrated. It's really overrated. It is detailed and good, and a lot of fun can be had here, but it's not as good as everyone says. It surely deserves a lot of gameplay hours, but i personally don't like it as much as everyone does.
  6. Jul 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a review of minecraft 1.10 on windows.

Minecraft is a game of pluses and minuses. Every time something good or special shows itself, something, usually from the fan base, pops up and ruins everything.

Minecraft, i find, is most fun with some friends in survival or creating something in creative. Single player survival can be boring after a bit. after issue is the online player base should you not have any online friends, as it's mostly 12 year old scum, 6 year old try hards, and 30 something people riding that youtube money train. Many of the mini game modes on it are empty on american servers, as survival games (think hunger games but worse) and factions (think some mmo with clans but worse) are the popular ones as of late. Voice chat would be nice, as way too many times have i and others been killed before we could speak.

Another thing is the nature of the game, as it runs off java, which for those 12 and under, was a basic programming code and a old 3d web browser game thing like flash was for 2d stuff. Java by this point has gone senile, a glitch randomly occurring which basically bricks your game, preventing little timmy from smashing his mother's acer facebook machine like a very colorful pinata... oh hell, that would still happen.

Honestly, if you have some friends and wait a bit for 1.10's java issues, minecraft would be a blast, but if you're looking for a fun single player or online with randos experience, looking elsewhere would be advised.
  7. Jul 3, 2016
    I do not like multiplayer cause it's boring and has an annoying community. But the other things like realms, singleplayer, and other stuff I'm okay with but the game can get boring sometimes. I don't know if I would recommend it. Only if your really bored I guess.
  8. Jun 10, 2016
    Mine craft is not a bad game despite what the haters say, and even though fanboys worship this game like the second coming of Christ, and bloat the game's score beyond the reasonable amount, its not the best out there. Mine craft is an original and playful idea, with the whole world consisting of blocks. And sure, you CAN create anything, but for a player who isn't sparsely creative, andMine craft is not a bad game despite what the haters say, and even though fanboys worship this game like the second coming of Christ, and bloat the game's score beyond the reasonable amount, its not the best out there. Mine craft is an original and playful idea, with the whole world consisting of blocks. And sure, you CAN create anything, but for a player who isn't sparsely creative, and is a somewhat bad builder, this game gets boring quick. Mining and exploring is immense and fun, but gather enough ores, and explore the world entirely, there's just not much to look at. That's how many players feel. Modding is difficult and filled with shady websites, so its not a great option if you find vanilla boring. Expand
  9. May 19, 2016
    Summary: an overall enjoyable, influential and interesting game pockmarked by poor design decisions, flawed development and philosophical contradictions.

What I liked (* indicates a caveat - see following section): + Minecraft clearly popularized survival crafting games, for better or worse. Interacting with the environment and using it to your advantage by "mining" it and then

What I liked (* indicates a caveat - see following section):

+ Minecraft clearly popularized survival crafting games, for better or worse. Interacting with the environment and using it to your advantage by "mining" it and then "crafting" with it is the essence of the game and it is a relatively fresh concept.

+ There is a decent amount of content*(1).

+ The game clearly lends itself to co-operative multiplay, which I enjoy. Players have had some success with PvP due to novel situations you can get into with the mechanics, though I find it rather unsophisticated overall.

+ Minecraft will get you to think both creatively and geometrically. Mining and farming are matters of tiling, a classic category of math problems, based on a few facts you will learn contingently in-game. This encourages problem-solving skills not normally required in video games. Meanwhile, building aesthetic structures allows the player to express themselves in-game instead of following a railroad path so familiar to many modern games.

+ Item progression is relatively exciting and satisfying*(2).

+ Technically speaking, Minecraft is interesting for a number of reasons. It wasn't anywhere near the first game to use voxels in graphics and gameplay so extensively, but it popularized their use. Voxels are a kind of "atomic" graphical structure that constructs larger shapes out of smaller particles, not unlike LEGOs. Until Minecraft, they were mostly used outside of gaming for things like molecule imaging. Minecraft used fairly remarkable terrain generation algorithms to procedurally generate fresh worlds made out of voxels for each playthrough.

+ There is so much to do*(3), and the player can set their own pace. The game can be played in short bursts or in massive marathons and it lends itself to being rather addictive.

What I didn't like:

- *(1): There is a lot of content, but the way in which it is accessed is poorly conceived. Due to the terrain generation, most new content that comes in the form of new block types or new items needs to be reached by approaching the frontiers of what has already been discovered; for middle-to-old-aged worlds this can be several kilometers away from the starting point for a mere chance at visiting the new content. For instance, I easily have over 1000 hours in the game, and the "mushroom island" biome type was added to the world 4 1/2 years ago. I still have never encountered it. This flaw in the terrain generation algorithm forms the basis of several tedious game struggles later on, like finding a Nether fortress or village (necessary to acquire Eyes of Ender, items used to locate the final boss and "End" biome), finding biomes that were introduced years ago to experience all the content, or even finding content that is new to biomes that you've already experienced.

- *(2): In the beginning of the game, there's a clear material progression as you advance through wood->stone->iron->diamond tools and armor. After this point, though, all progression comes in the form of using a rather contrived enchantment system that is frankly an inconvenience. Since this enchantment system requires wheat, sugar cane, cows, and trees you're somewhat limited to where you want to put your "base" unless you feel like traveling a great distance to visit your cows or want to try leading them across great expanses (the pathing AI is not that great). Even then, once you have gone through the bother of acquiring the 46 leather, 90 wood planks, 135 sugar cane, 4 obsidian, and 2 diamond necessary to max out enchantment (yes I know this off the top of my head), it becomes increasingly expensive to repair your super-items.

- *(3): Most tasks in the game are about resource collection of some kind. There is combat and exploration but it is very lackluster. Once you've seen an example of something you've really seen it all. The rest of the game is about gathering resources, and this can be tedious. A few years ago one of the developers actually intentionally made crops slower to mature, not because he thought the game was too easy but just to make everything more tedious. Mining can take minutes upon hours of your time doing repetitive tasks to get modest gains, even when you meticulously plan it in a statistically favorable way and perfect all your equipment.

- Many ancient bugs, like poor achievement detection and Nether portal calculation, persist to this day.

- Numerous promises have been left on the floor: a modding API, more weapons than a sword or bow, a living villager economy, off the top of my head.

- Devs are less imaginative than modders and have been spending the better part of 5 years inserting inferior versions of mods as patches.

- The recent combat update adds more hackneyed decisions, hamstringing the player in pointless ways.
  10. Apr 27, 2016
    In my opinion Minecraft is overrated as hell. It's an fine game, but nothing more than that. It's original, but also simple. Keep in mind though that I'm rating the vanilla game here. I'm not including the vast amount of mods that are made for this game in my rating.
  11. Apr 18, 2016
    With my Minecraft experience, I put down a 6. You can definitely have fun with this game building forts and houses and visiting the netherworld. The game itself works and you can have lots of fun with friends and online. The possibilities are endless, but also pointless and repetitive too. The enemy mobs, while iconic, are worthless which can be easily avoided. This makes undergroundWith my Minecraft experience, I put down a 6. You can definitely have fun with this game building forts and houses and visiting the netherworld. The game itself works and you can have lots of fun with friends and online. The possibilities are endless, but also pointless and repetitive too. The enemy mobs, while iconic, are worthless which can be easily avoided. This makes underground exploring not very fun, and only a handful of structures are there to explore anyway. Ore mining is alright, finding diamonds is pleasant but not challenging. Some mechanics aren't thought out very well or are just unfinished. An example is potion brewing- it's pretty hard to access and the effects themselves are hard to craft, and are not TOO helpful. The game itself just seems dense from the surface, but once you dig in there actually isn't very much to see. Still, you can have some fun playing around making single player bases if that is what you really desire. The graphics and aesthetics are great which can be modified around, and the different biomes are empty inside but still pretty in their own way.

I could've easily given this game a 5 or even a 4, but since I rate games purely out of my enjoyment, I gave it an extra point. It's a decent game but I had some fun using redstone, playing with friends and joining online servers to PvP. It's still not a very fun game compared to its competitors. Minecraft is just the more popular, casual and dumbed-down sandbox version of other masterpieces.
  12. Apr 15, 2016
    Minecraft...oh boy, where do i even begin?. When i had the age of 10 or 11 it was actually one of my favorite games and still is a lot of fun to play and i actually started a new playthrough a few moths ago and the i just...dropped it...

STORY: You appear out of nowhere!!...go mine and attack stuff to survive...THE END. PRESENTATION: This is usually the first thing that people bring

PRESENTATION: This is usually the first thing that people bring up to critic this game and honestly i don't know why. I actually rather like this mixture between a retro-cubic-3D style of graphics and i don't think a construction game like this would've been possible without them.

The music is made up of different piano pieces and i feel like they fit very well. But the one thing that this games lacks is a stable frame rate, since the graphics are so basic you would think that this would run well, right?...RIGHT?, well no, the game runs very poorly even in the lowest settings and i don't even know the resolution is on.

GAMEPLAY: Minecraft is a...umm... Building/Combat/Platform/RPG/MMO??....i think. I don't know really what this game is really. There's 3 different modes in the single player and there's also a Multiplayer mode, but i will focus more on the Single Player since that's what i play the most in my games.

The mechanics are very simple. You use the W, A, S and D keys to move and you use the mouse to face the direction you wanna go. There's 2 motions that you do in this game: Mine and place, and you use the left and right clicky things on the mouse respectably to do them. They do exactly what the sound, you mine things or hit things depending on what your mining and when you do so the block or enemy that you mined or killed respectably will drop an item that you can put in your inventory. You can have 9 items in the "Use" inventory and by pressing E you will bring up the rest of it that will allow you to have more stuff with you. Aside from that you also have 4 extra spaces to the side of your character and depending on the item and pattern that you put in those 4 spaces, you can craft something, if you do a crafting table you are able to put 9 things on the "Craft spaces" and you can create different tools, armor blocks, etc.

The right clicky thing on the mouse is used to interact with different things and defend yourself with the newly implemented shield that you put on your extra slot or...you know...you can put anything on there so you can use both of you hands. You also the right clicky thing on the mouse to place blocks on top of other blocks and construct...pretty much anything. You have a hunger meter that depletes over time and to keep it full you will need food from animals or your own harvest, why do you need to keep it full?, well the hunger meter will refill your health when you take damage and if it depletes 100% it will hurt you and leave you with the half of your last hearth.

Minecraft respects this mechanics in all of its different modes like:

Survival: You have limited resources, Limited health and hunger and if you can respawn. There's 3 difficulty settings and you just...have to survive.

Hardcore: In this mode the difficulty is locked to Hard and you can only die once, if you do that world will be deleted.

Creative: You can fly, you can break anything, you can spawn things at pleasure and you have unlimited resources. If you came here to build stuff...this is for you.

There's some enemies in this game like Zombies, that just move around and attack you, Creepers that explode if they get to close, Withes that throw potions, Esqueletos that shoot arrows, the list goes on and on.

Finally there's 3 bosses in this game: The Ender Dragon which is pathetically easy. The wither which you have to build your self by putting 3 wither skeletons heads (that you get on this games other dimension, the Nether) and soul sand...and he is very easy too. Finally there's the Guardian, he lives underwater and he's a pain on the butt to kill. All of these bosses will give you a reward like a Dragon Egg, a Nether star and a...sponge...uh.

Now, i can go on and on about what you can do and can't do in this game because i haven't even mentioned the different Biome, the different blocks, the different minerals, the Multiplayer, the experience and...man this game is just overwhelming.

I mentioned before that i dropped my game and that's because...there's too much to do and i feel that Minecraft lacks focus, plus most of the things in Minecraft requiere so much time and dedication that i just got bored.

I am planing to go back to that save one day or another to finish what i was doing, but for now i have school and other games to occupy my time.

Now for the score...out of all the games that i reviewed so far, i haven't had so much trouble on putting a score. This is a game that really, REALLY depends on your taste for video games. Personally i really like building games so i really like Minecraft, but i feel it can be really boring at times.

I'll give it a 7/10.
  13. Apr 14, 2016
    maincrah mi amigo marcos burgos de chile juega maincrah todo el dia es una verdadera rata fanboy se sabe todos los mods y tiene un pc master race solo para el maincra.
    ma ma ma ma maincrah!!!
  14. Apr 2, 2016
    Without mods this game it's not enjoyable. It's a mess to play with friends. But after all still been a good game to create your own world. If could be so much easier having this game on steam with a workshop.
    This game should be playing on free to play. Because will you pay u$s30 for only a skin and your name? Its not worth it. The community make this game so much batter than it is
  15. Dec 27, 2015
    Minecraft may be fun at the start... but like every game in the world... after a while, it gets boring... like way too fast. It deserves a better rating from me but a 6 would do it. All you do is just basically build and fight to survive. Doesn't that sound fun? It does from the start.
  16. Oct 25, 2015
    It will fill your time, but the irritation is how it compares to the promised product. I've gotten days of enjoyment out of this game. I still play it every now and then. At the very beginning, it was cross-platform, easy to set up a server, and just play. Then came the promises and the failures to deliver. The game still isn't open source, still doesn't have a proper modding API, andIt will fill your time, but the irritation is how it compares to the promised product. I've gotten days of enjoyment out of this game. I still play it every now and then. At the very beginning, it was cross-platform, easy to set up a server, and just play. Then came the promises and the failures to deliver. The game still isn't open source, still doesn't have a proper modding API, and still uses placeholder art from its earliest alpha. Not to mention, but all the features introduced in later patches have just been incomplete fluff and half-baked nonsense. Expand
  17. Sep 20, 2015
    Let's face it, Minecraft had a lot of potential to be a GREAT game, but unfortunately the fandom ruined it completely. I'm not going to judge the game by it's fandom, but rather on my own experiences with the game. When I first played this game (summer of 2010), I had little to no experience, but that didn't stop me to enjoy the game. Back then until 2013, the game had a score of 8+ forLet's face it, Minecraft had a lot of potential to be a GREAT game, but unfortunately the fandom ruined it completely. I'm not going to judge the game by it's fandom, but rather on my own experiences with the game. When I first played this game (summer of 2010), I had little to no experience, but that didn't stop me to enjoy the game. Back then until 2013, the game had a score of 8+ for me, nearly perfect. But then, the raging [insert random age of young children here] came into play and ruined the multiplayer aspect of the game. But in Single Player it's still fun from time to time, but overall the multiplayer experience is almost NOT enjoyable at all. My final verdict to this game is a 6 out of 10. Expand
  18. Sep 10, 2015
    Minecraft starts out really fun. You must build, survive and fight. However, after a while, Creative Mode (where you are immortal and build anything, with immediate access to all the materials) can get boring, Survival Mode can become sort of repetitive, and before you know it your closing your computer after an hour or less.
  19. Aug 12, 2015
    Back in the day i used to enjoy the game since 1.8 beta came out i stopped playing due game becoming not typical build/cooperating game now its all about hunger games and other things that makes the game very unsatisfying
  20. Jul 5, 2015
    I started playing Minecraft in 2009, while it was on Beta 1.8 state (I think so), the game was so fun to play with friends and blah blah blah, fun at all.
    The Final Version was a blast, bug-fixes, graphical updates, new items, and yeah.
    Then, the 1.4 version really screwed up the game, they tried to make Minecraft an RPG, then 1.6 with horses and yes...

From 10 to 7, nice job, Mojang.
  21. Jun 15, 2015
    Ah Minecraft. I loved this game early on for its capabilities for active multiplayer and the number of active servers that were available, engaging in many adventures with my friends. Now however, I don't even have the game downloaded due to the sheer lack of new stuff to do. Sure, mods solve this, but I really don't want to risk my computer's security to download stuff that would take theAh Minecraft. I loved this game early on for its capabilities for active multiplayer and the number of active servers that were available, engaging in many adventures with my friends. Now however, I don't even have the game downloaded due to the sheer lack of new stuff to do. Sure, mods solve this, but I really don't want to risk my computer's security to download stuff that would take the developers a few minutes to add. It is already out there, now just work with the developers of these mods and release an update with all sorts of bonus stuff. I would redownload the game if this were to happen.
    Secondly, this game also got boring, as the Single Player survival was extremely tedious after a while, the only fun coming in playing with TNT and Redstone. Also may I mention that this game is $27? You could almost get a used XBOX 360 with this money, but instead I spent my $27 dollars on a game I would end up deleting. This game held a lot of sentimental value to me, so I have very mixed feelings about it.
  22. Jun 2, 2015
    For the price this game is awesome and I like that they update the game rather than give you pointless DLC to get all the new stuff and the skins are free (unlike playstation and Xbox).... This game is great but this is where I get bored with the game...... How long can you actually play this game...... I am a person who likes to try new games and I could not play this for hours onFor the price this game is awesome and I like that they update the game rather than give you pointless DLC to get all the new stuff and the skins are free (unlike playstation and Xbox).... This game is great but this is where I get bored with the game...... How long can you actually play this game...... I am a person who likes to try new games and I could not play this for hours on end......It was fun for a little bit then It got boring.... Expand
  23. May 24, 2015
    Minecraft is okay. I think it's good that this is influencing kids now more than things like call of duty. This game promotes creativity and teaches kids about the joys of things like survival, exploration, building, crafting, and various other activities. Sure, it may be annoying to hear about it all the time, but like it or not, Minecraft is going to pave the way for a better generationMinecraft is okay. I think it's good that this is influencing kids now more than things like call of duty. This game promotes creativity and teaches kids about the joys of things like survival, exploration, building, crafting, and various other activities. Sure, it may be annoying to hear about it all the time, but like it or not, Minecraft is going to pave the way for a better generation of gamers than the last. Expand
  24. May 6, 2015
    + great sandbox game with unlimited creativity
    + simple and fun, lots of mods
    +great soundtrack, bought it on iTunes
    -most of the players play p2w minigame servers that destroy the point of the game (creativity! Not paying $70 for "UBER" armor)
    -trollz
    -playing in public attracts millions of 2-10 year olds
    -was more fun back in 1.9 beta when it was still not ultra popular.
  25. Apr 18, 2015
    It took me many attempts to actually somewhat enjoy this game in the end. It has a new type of gameplay (especially for the time when it was first released and before many of its clones came out). It's mostly about digging ores and then crafting items. Also some players (especially small kids) will be interested to build toy houses from blocks. Aside from the primitive survival andIt took me many attempts to actually somewhat enjoy this game in the end. It has a new type of gameplay (especially for the time when it was first released and before many of its clones came out). It's mostly about digging ores and then crafting items. Also some players (especially small kids) will be interested to build toy houses from blocks. Aside from the primitive survival and fighting mechanic, it's mostly just a Lego constructor. Terraria and Don't Starve are much better games because they add a purpose to the whole thing. Minecraft is very unfriendly to new players: for the recipes you have to go to online wikis, management of the inventory is tedious, and the graphics are ugly, especially those of the mobs. Still, even if it's a somewhat enjoyable game, it doesn't deserve the hype around it at all. Expand
  26. Feb 9, 2015
    In my honest opinion this game IS overrated , and i'm saying this after i had been playing it for the last year . When i started it was very fun , that's because you had absolutely no idea of what was going on , you didn't know how to craft things and what to look for when you start on a new world . At this point the game is a blast to play , many biomes waiting for you to discover them ,In my honest opinion this game IS overrated , and i'm saying this after i had been playing it for the last year . When i started it was very fun , that's because you had absolutely no idea of what was going on , you didn't know how to craft things and what to look for when you start on a new world . At this point the game is a blast to play , many biomes waiting for you to discover them , tons of mobs and generally you get the feeling of being defenceless while you have a constant urge to keep going and going until you discover something new . Until there really isn't anything you haven't discovered . Techically you can build anything you can imagine but after a while most people just don't get the same amount of satisfaction from it . To be fair this game is the king of this sandbox-type games genre but after a while you realise that it doesn't really offer you anything anymore . To this day , i still visit minecraft once in a while in hopes of falling in love with it again but i always end up leaving the game after 5 minutes . Nevertheless , Minecraft will have a soft spot on my heart as it was one of these games that i really enjoyed but in the day . Expand
  27. Jan 23, 2015
    *Graphics* No wonder so many Resource Packs have been created, being the graphics so bad. Whether such bad quality was for laziness or choice, the community had to supply what the developers didn't. Some people might like the retro atmosphere.
    *Sound* The soundtrack is just ambient music, which is seldom played, by the way. The noises monsters do are somewhat nice, and useful to recognize dangers. Sounds of crafting, mining etc. are appropriate
    *Game* Despite the continual updating and feedback, it's the community for the most part who creates what the game lacks. The absence of a tutorial of any kind forces to check the Wiki countless times; when not constantly checking the Wiki, I completely forgot that certain recipes even existed. The nice part is that one can modify the world as desired: (almost) every block is breakable, and reusable for whatever building you have in mind. Complex and bizarre mechanisms are possible thanks to the redstone components, and that's great.
    The success it had created a fervent community, but lazy developers. Overall, I would recommend the game if played on multiplayer and with the appropriate mods added.
  28. Dec 19, 2014
    By the end of 2012, I heard for the first time about Minecraft; People only had bad things to say about how blocky it is, as well as how it lacks graphical content. But what those people dont understand, is what the games they usually play are lacking which Minecraft has - Creativity and Fun.
    I'm a solo player, not by choice, but by extremely slow internet, and i tend to really enjoy a few hours of Minecraft every once in a while.
    Command blocks are something i havent touched yet, but i'm enjoying the creation of different factories and mechanisms with redstone.
    Exploration is also quite nice once you overcome the "i wont to break everything" phase.
    The main and only quest of the game, is to kill the Ender Dragon, which does not make any difference, if you do or dont.
    Minecraft is a great and fun game to play, but it's lacking a story line, quests, and role-playing.
    This is perhaps something that will be implemented in the near future, and it will bring in a much broader audience.
    Another huge issue i seem to have and cannot seem to get use to is the really, really bad animations that the mobs seem to have; They either walk straight, no bobbing, no attack animations, and make me wonder why im playing the game every time.
    Monster animations should be the main focus for a few months at Mojang, and Shaders are also another great concern. So based on visuals, animations and story-line, i wont be giving a great review for Minecraft. It's really good and has a massive community, but it needs a lot of work still, and fast.
  29. Dec 4, 2014
    Minecraft is a pretty good game. I purchased it around alpha-ish time.

It can be really fun, and building, while not particularly fun is satisfying. The main problem I have with it is that, after you've put maybe 10-15 hours, maybe 20, the game will get really stale unless you're really slow at the game or want to take it slowly. After that, the only thing you can really do to
    Minecraft is a pretty good game. I purchased it around alpha-ish time.

It can be really fun, and building, while not particularly fun is satisfying.

After that, the only thing you can really do to refresh it is either play with friends which is fun for a while or install mods.

Personally, apart from a few games, I feel mods can ruin a game. This is one of those games I feel is ruined by mods. It is just my opinion tho, so if you love mods whatever the game, go ahead.
  30. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I had a lot of fun with Minecraft, and lost several hours of my life...

The sandbox experience is really great, and the blocky world has a charm to it, and is really nicely done. Yes, I am applauding the graphics. People think every **** game should have Crysis-like graphics, gee... But, moving on... The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is

The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is that... Well, it gets boring kinda fast. I mean, 1 week after you start a game and you play it like crazy, but then you're just bored, and you don't really wanna start a new game.

The mods are awesome and the multiplayer is really nice, but it's not MY kind of multiplayer, so I give it a miss.

But what annoys me is that all the internet is FULL of Minecraft, everywhere. And this turns me off. There's a gazillion videos on Youtube of Minecraft, with kids screaming everywhere... and yes, this lowered the score for me. I know, if it is so popular, it means it's a sucessful game. And I'm not trying to be a hipster. But the community of the game ruined some of its charm for me.

But, still, it's a very nice game, and I'm glad I played something like 20 hours of it.
  31. Oct 23, 2014
    Good fun. One gets immersed for a while then it loses it's appeal. Overall it's a very intuitive idea, but if I have to mine another piece of rock I'll kill myself.
  32. Oct 13, 2014
    This game used to be good back when Notch was in charge, but now it has gone over the cliff. A fun game single-player, but often repetitive and boring as all hell.
    5/10 - Ben Hazelden
  33. Sep 28, 2014
    If your into gaming, there's probably nothing you already don't know about Minecraft. Chances are you have it, played it and love it. However Minecraft is only fun if you have a vivid and strong imagination for things to create. If not then perhaps you waste your savings on the new Call of Duty. Even with 1.8 Minecraft still has a lot to do and improve. I would not say this is forIf your into gaming, there's probably nothing you already don't know about Minecraft. Chances are you have it, played it and love it. However Minecraft is only fun if you have a vivid and strong imagination for things to create. If not then perhaps you waste your savings on the new Call of Duty. Even with 1.8 Minecraft still has a lot to do and improve. I would not say this is for everyone, there are frustrations if you don't know how to start things off. If you have the console version this won't be a problem since there is a tutorial and basically tells you the crafting recipes and points out every block you see. Don't be fooled into thinking this game is only playable on "The master race" that is PC because it isn't. But while it is undoubtedly dumbed down for players in the console version and doesn't have as many updates it is still fun and you do still get a sense of accomplishment on either really. Minecraft should at least be tried by everyone just too see what all the fuss is about then you might find yourself remembering every rule and crafting recipe in the game at three in the morning. Expand
  34. Jul 7, 2014
    A frightening good example on just how popular something simple can get. Minecraft has laid out the groundwork for the booming indie industry we know today but unfortunately, It haven't really aged as well as I hope it would have.

Mods are being produced a hundredfold times faster than the actual standard game, be it the automated industry mining mod or the dozens of graphic mods that causes a game consisting of huge clunky squares look like Crysis, the developers themselves seem to keep falling more and more behind as the producer (Notch) distances himself more and more from the title as the community continues to have an far-above majority population consisting of little, impulsive school children.
  35. Jul 6, 2014
    Minecraft is a game were you have only 10 minutes until dark. This game was created by Notch and developed by Jeb (Short form for Jens Bergensten). this is a great and awesome game. hope you enjoy this game
  36. Jul 1, 2014
    The vanilla game is great, but after a few weeks you get bored of it.
    The mods are where its at.
    There are literally hundreds of mods that you can play to keep you into the game.
    the only problem is that its hard to install mods at this time.
  37. Jun 24, 2014
    A very nice game in a voxel based world.It features offline and multiplayer modes. It is pretty much a game of life where you mine and craft and farm and explore. It is a pretty good game but it is definitely over priced. I have the game from a gift card from a friend, but I would not pay $27 USD to play this game. And it is also overpriced on android and apple devices and consoles too.
  38. Jun 5, 2014
    I loved this game when I first started playing in 2010. I've had lots of fun with it, and it's a great game. It WAS, that is. My interest towards this open world game started decreasing, as it's now monotonus and overplayed on YouTube. I've resided to making Custom maps and Statues.
  39. Jun 4, 2014
    Minecraft is a well-crafted masterpiece with many features, an expansive world, and unrivaled replayability. However, a lack of a built in tutorial, button-mashing combat,, repetitiveness, and lack of balance undermine (pun not intended) the gameplay experience. Overall, it is a game worth buying, though some issues still show beyond its hype.

First, the good. It has in-depth features,

First, the good. It has in-depth features, such as a huge branching crafting system, a smelting system, and a brewing system for potions (in game items that can give players, NPC's and enemies buffs and debuffs), and a fun, but not necessarily advanced, enchanting system.

The expansive worlds allow the player to explore and build huge structures. The full PC version (not the classic or console versions) has an infinite world to explore, exploit, and build in. The world generation algorithm creates diverse worlds, with everything from mountains to oceans. Every world is unique, and the ability to choose and share the world generation "seed", or the code that starts the random number generator in the generation algorithm, allows players to find their perfect world.

The game also has unrivaled replayability, as every game is different, with different worlds and different approaches, this game can get you glued to your chair for hours. Different game modes (the creative, survival, and hardcore modes) allow you to choose how to play the game, whether you want to go into god-mode and build huge castles, or survive in a wooden cabin with limited materials.

However, the issues start becoming apparent as you start playing the game. The lack of a tutorial results in your first few hours of gameplay being just "How do I do this again? I have to go online and search on a fan-made website, again!" ad nauseam.

The melee combat is simple and limited to button mashing. Newer updates have made changes, such as "critical hits". a game mechanic where the damage done increases slightly if the player jumps before hitting the enemy, but the melee combat is still somewhat repetitive, in my opinion.

Despite its replayability, it still becomes repetitive over time, as you spend a lot of your time digging huge tunnels to find that one more diamond you need to make a new tool.

The game also has a complete lack of balance. Coal and iron are supposed to be the most common underground minerals in the game, as they are low and medium tier items respectively, but I frequently find stacks of redstone (a high-tier item) before I even find any coal, when digging underground.

In conclusion, while minecraft is a worthy buy, with many features, an expansive world, and replayability, issues, such as a lack of a built in tutorial, button-mashing combat,, repetitiveness, and lack of balance seriously ruin the gameplay.
  40. May 21, 2014
    ok, I am a die-hard Minecraft fan, I am part of the community and I even do a lot of vids on minecraft. But, I can't say minecraft is flawless, and I'm going to give my honest review.

Minecraft is a great game, and it is a truly open world sandbox, where your minecraft world ends with you. This Game is definitely a mark in video game history, and I hope this game leads to new ideas for future sandbox games. First, I'll start with survival. My first time, like most new players, was rough. Minecraft kind of puts you in the wild and says "you're on your own, have fun". But that's not that bad, it adds a bit of the charm to the game, and that there is lots to learn to do, and aim for. It also introduces you to the minecraft community, as you rely on it to learn more about the game, and how to play it. I'll talk more about the MC community later, as it plays a big role in the game. As you learn more and more, you explore your world, survive ravage nights, and build whatever you can imagine. Minecraft life will have many things to do, make, or explore. this review was made in ver 1.7.9, and there is a point where you have done it all, and once you've explored the game inside and out, the game starts to lose steam, the game-play isn't that interesting past that for the most part. Then there is creative mode, where you are invincible, and can build (or destroy) with few limits.

now, back to the community. The minecraft community is the absolute best, and really works hand and hand with the game to make it bigger and better, in a way I have never seen in any other game. if you have a decent amount of tech smarts, or look up tutorials, there you will really get the full effect of the minecraft community's mark on the game, and get more out of the game when you've explored it all. First off, the I am so impressed by what, amateur developers that loved the game, created in the minecraft community. There is like a mod for Freaking everything; shooting kamehameha's, guns, weapons from RWBY, SAO, KH, etc, Pokemon, magic, npcs, superpowers, bosses battles, alternate dimensions, you name is, it's most likely a mod for it, and will being the game to life. In addition, there are also resource packs to change the look and feel of the game. and Many maps custom maps; from an epic adventure map (most likely made by Hypixel), a survival world with the creators flare, recreations of other things or places, or just an awesome looking thing someone built. Don't even get me started on multiplayer server, minigames and stuff. Even outside of gameplay, youtubers have made minecraft so popular, and really something that people enjoy.

Now here comes the sad part of this review. The flaws of minecraft. The wonderful things the minecraft community brings to the game will keep you entertains for a long time, but it also starts to die. Minecraft's huge gaping hole that keeps it 2 points away from a 9/10 is the gameplay. Im sorry, but you the battle mechanics are pretty... eh, and just barely passes as enjoyable. Way you move, the way you fight, and just the way your character performs, it's just... ok.... it passes, and it wouldn't take away from the minecraft experience, but once it's you've explored everything, and you've exhausted your creativity, tried many mods, the game dies there. Gameplay is an important part of if you would come back to the game, and a game like this can't be played for a plot. but another point was deducted for the way the game is being improved. as more and more updates have come out, less and less is actual added. The updates just aren't giving me anything to return to the game to do something new.These flaws will not affect new players, but more players that have played minecraft for a while. If this ever changes in future versions, I would gladly give this game a 8/10, maybe even a 9/10. It hurts me that I had to give this game 7/10, but, I just can't go any higher.

overall, you will love Minecraft, and if you're a gamer, get this game. Let your imagination and exploration run free. And a tip, take shelter before the sun sets in the game, because the night is evil.
  41. May 17, 2014
    Now, let me make this clear, I don't HATE minecraft, as it is a VERY well made game!
    but the real problem lays within the community. Sure, the mods are fun, and I spent quite a while
    playing M.C.A. or minecraft comes alive But when XBOX players criticize a port thats NOT on XBOX for not being on XBOX (and not even trying it), and your community starts going on a rampage of calling everything a "ripoff" and not giving poor devs a chance, even if their game is very original or good in its own ways, I'm done. Minecraft is fun, and multiplayer CAN be fun, but I'm not so sure your game is safe when you have a pirated version out there donning the title "minecraftSP" for free, I have a bad feeling.
    5 OUT OF 10 FOR THE COMMUNITY, 8 OUT OF 10 FOR THE GAME.
  42. May 14, 2014
    Minecraft is a sandbox - survival game consisting of you making your own story, branching your own path and making your own choices. This game is fun mostly whilst playing with your friends and online. Without those features, the offline is boring and lonely, which is sad as I have seen people who make videos of Minecraft offline with or without modifications have so much fun which makesMinecraft is a sandbox - survival game consisting of you making your own story, branching your own path and making your own choices. This game is fun mostly whilst playing with your friends and online. Without those features, the offline is boring and lonely, which is sad as I have seen people who make videos of Minecraft offline with or without modifications have so much fun which makes no sense to me. Now for the gameplay features, it is simplistic which I like. You punch blocks to make blocks, to make tools to get better blocks. The bosses are boring however and require nothing else but SHOOT THE THING and the AI is ok. The enemies are intelligent enough and the friendly creatures are responsive to you killing them. The graphics aren't next generation but are stylised with the game and getting a graphics modification ruins the feel so don't. However it runs like crap as it uses Java script as the coding language and it really isn't ideal with making three dimensional games with such expansiveness. As of bugs, the only ones I see are shading errors and generation problems but overall a good built game, and I am not surprised as of how many people actually play this game and bug report.

Overall this game is good and I see appeal to those who want to play games that are expansive and simple and I find it OK. 7/10
  43. May 10, 2014
    Minecraft is indeed a good game, but I would not say a masterpiece. In my opinion, it come as a light in a bad age of games, it came right when those repetitive first-peron shooters were dominating the market. Minecraft emerged as an alternative to those who don't like these games.

I guess it's an insult to all other games to say that minecraft is the best game ever - However, I think it's the most striking game from the present.

Well, to explain these paragraphs I will make a list of the bad/good points from Minecraft:

GOOD POINTS
    - Creative game with thousands of possibilities;
    - Different and unique graphics;
    - Classic music which fits in the game;
    - A very good platform to mod and make plugins for;
    - Runs on any PC (on lowest settings);
    - A quite good multiplayer;
    - Hollow (and sometimes dark) atmosphere;
    - Several large and mysterious worlds to explore.

BAD POINTS
    - Poorly coded, with much lag;
    - Poorly detailed graphics (the game couldn't improve them a bit more without losing its style);
    - Bad sound effects;
    - Many non-sense addons (since the official release);
    - Have a lot of bugs;
    - A game with no point, nothing to do... You get sick of it quickly (unless you start playing in servers full of plugins (or mods). But that's not the game content);
    - Non-sense ending! A dragon WTF?! There could be a truly explanation (and end) for a square-ish world! And it could be more original and less cliché;
    - Several features that Notch promissed to include not included;
    - Despite being a light game, when on high settings runs only in NASA pcs (and have not "that" good graphics);
    - Barely made GUI;
    - It could have missions, portraying the story of herobrine, but NO, it's just a **** non-sense sandbox!
    - It could be a lot better than it was, enjoying a lot more its features (that have no purpose).

So that's it. For who overrate this game, that's my opinion...
    Loving minecraft is like loving water in a desert. It's not because of its "awesomeness", but because the other bad and boring games we have today.
    Who don't play anyother game, try a truly good one (such Age of empires, C&C, Total annihilation, etc) before saying **** ("MINECRAFT IS THE BEST GAME EVER"). There you see that MC isn't a so good game.

(SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, IMN'T A FLUENT SPEAKER XD)
  44. Apr 2, 2014
    Minecraft us a fun game, in the beginning after a while it really begins to loose it's charm. It also irritates me that Mojang (the creators of minecraft) could make an AWESOME game out of This by wedding simple bit fun changes (making blocking effective, more types of armor/weapons and USEFULL NPC's) but instead they add carpets....
  45. Mar 17, 2014
    Minecraft is a very unique game, but does it deserve this much acclaim?

Pros:
    It gives you total freedom
    Nice LEGO style graphics

Cons:
    Dull combat
    Boring gameplay
    It's more of a toy rather than a game

Minecraft does have its moments, but it's not quite the game I wanted
  46. Mar 7, 2014
    Minecraft! An extremely repetitive, yet attractive game towards a lot of the younger audience. Minecraft is fun to play at first, but then when you get tired of it, you take a break and go to the mods. The modding community is quite amazing. It offers many advancements to the game, and brings in a ton of extra hours of playtime. Overall, this game is EXTREMELY addictive if you like sandboxMinecraft! An extremely repetitive, yet attractive game towards a lot of the younger audience. Minecraft is fun to play at first, but then when you get tired of it, you take a break and go to the mods. The modding community is quite amazing. It offers many advancements to the game, and brings in a ton of extra hours of playtime. Overall, this game is EXTREMELY addictive if you like sandbox survival games, but atrocious if you don't. Expand
  47. Jan 2, 2014
    minecraft is fun at first but gets way to repetitive after your first few times playing though it. trust me every time you start a world you chop down a tree look for coal then make your first base. it fun for the first time but after a few times it really turns you off of the game
  48. Dec 29, 2013
    Minecraft is probably going to be the hardest thing to review because sometimes the community pushes me to call it a horrible game but sometimes it can be addicting so well i'll give it a 5 because the developers are making horrible decisions with a game that has much potential. But it's not entirely the devs fault Minecraft is a 6 to 12 year old magnet and since the devs listen to theMinecraft is probably going to be the hardest thing to review because sometimes the community pushes me to call it a horrible game but sometimes it can be addicting so well i'll give it a 5 because the developers are making horrible decisions with a game that has much potential. But it's not entirely the devs fault Minecraft is a 6 to 12 year old magnet and since the devs listen to the people who don't actually know what their talking about we have a game that's aging very quickly for the people like me who have played it for 3 years. Expand
  49. Dec 26, 2013
    Let's start by saying this game is pretty good. The building is easy and looks good. You can add mods to change parts of the game. Modding is very easy to do. Multiplayer keeps you playing for a long time. Generally, most of the mobs are somewhat difficult. It also allows for many different ways to play such as adventure maps, multiplayer custom gamemodes, and more. Anyone starting thisLet's start by saying this game is pretty good. The building is easy and looks good. You can add mods to change parts of the game. Modding is very easy to do. Multiplayer keeps you playing for a long time. Generally, most of the mobs are somewhat difficult. It also allows for many different ways to play such as adventure maps, multiplayer custom gamemodes, and more. Anyone starting this game would certainly enjoy it, and for a long time. But let's get to the bad.

Why this game is also pretty bad. First off, gameplay. When I am at the diamond age, what is there to do? Sure there is building, but making buildings gets boring after some time, and really doesn't do much. Sure there are bosses, such as the Ender Dragon (Boring: Swoops down every 5 minutes, and has the knockback of the devil) and the Wither (interesting, but the beacons just make the game more boring and easy: Pretty difficult to kill, gathering the materials needed to make the wither can be extremely annoying and boring), but the ender dragon barely gives you anything that is needed, and the Wither drops a star to make the beacon which makes a easy game even easier. Sure there is multiplayer, but seriously, it does get boring after a long time (Like all games do when you overplay them). Sure there are mods, but that isn't part of the game, and most make the game even easier. Sure there are new updates, which aren't very interesting, and add mostly annoying things to the game, and the developers aren't so nice/good. Take Jeb for example which says "If you don't like the game, then don't play it." Why is that bad to say? Because that means he doesn't care, and wants money since he already knows you bought the game. Then he takes bad community output from players who don't care for gameplay and want a game that is easy. I'm not even going to get into recent updates. Disgusting.

Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot, and it started a new style for gaming and graphics.
  50. Dec 16, 2013
    Minecraft is a very cool role playing game. I often play it, almost everyday. That is because this game is very good. Graphics was also good even if all things were like polygons but the gameplay is awesome. I have created a blog post for my minecraft review and you can kindly visit it in ...
  51. Dec 14, 2013
    it is the best sandbox open world game, however is far too complex and luck is required in the current version 12/12/13, it will most likely end up that you no life this game or die and restart over and over until boredom this game was amazing back in the day of 1.7.2 when it peaked.
  52. Nov 25, 2013
    Minecraft haven't conquered me in the pc edition, i like to play in the Xbox 360, even with all the mods that the PC edition have.
    Just like, you don't have any instruction, it's like mojang saying to you Learn by yourself !!!
    Altought if you know how to play, you are going to love it.
  53. Nov 18, 2013
    Decent combination of exploration and building. I don't regret buying it for $12, though I only sometimes play it. It's lots of fun if you find a good server, and build a home, compound, or village with 2 or more friends, like in a LAN party setting. Playing alone can be somewhat tedious you might ask yourself "what am I doing, there is no objective, what objective should I make?" IDecent combination of exploration and building. I don't regret buying it for $12, though I only sometimes play it. It's lots of fun if you find a good server, and build a home, compound, or village with 2 or more friends, like in a LAN party setting. Playing alone can be somewhat tedious you might ask yourself "what am I doing, there is no objective, what objective should I make?" I confess it has those limitations, but with friends you can make your own objectives. So my advice.. play with friends. Expand
  54. Nov 13, 2013
    this game is thought of as the best building game around by a lot of people but when you think about the fact that the graphics are bad you place down cubes and half cubes and its still thought of to be the best how low are you standards for a building game then.they have to be really low may be the best of its kind but its not a very good game still
  55. Nov 12, 2013
    it is an spectacular game. awesome grafics, awesome monsters, awesome materials, just one thing i dont like. to play multiplayer you need to pay 20 dollars!??! I know not all games are free but minecraft doesnt have a long gameplay. so 20 dollars is too much.
  56. Nov 6, 2013
    I'm going to come out of the Hedgerow of the gaming industry and really say the truth of what I think of this game, I don't like it I think it's boring I made a house out of mud, wow cool. I'm sorry They are blocks, I can easily make these 'Top' rated builds with my eyes closed, there's no still involved only placing of blocks and patience.

Mojang's games are terrible only Minecraft

Mojang's games are terrible only Minecraft managed to shine because it's 'okay' hell i don't think it is and before you strike me down everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

I love multiple genres of games, this just doesn't shine off the dome I'm sorry, at-least i'm not getting paid to lie about how good it is.
  57. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, I'm highly addicted to it so don't get me wrong with lower than excellent rating. Not really mod friendly, or, not mod community friendly. Apparently the java is a devil to code with b/c each update requires mod overhauls; the mod websites are plagued with malicious coding to lure people to install browser hi-jacking software. How is this relevant you ask? Steam hasThis game is great, I'm highly addicted to it so don't get me wrong with lower than excellent rating. Not really mod friendly, or, not mod community friendly. Apparently the java is a devil to code with b/c each update requires mod overhauls; the mod websites are plagued with malicious coding to lure people to install browser hi-jacking software. How is this relevant you ask? Steam has a wonderful mod installation/update method, so at this phase in the games history, a Mahjong approval system is really a must, b/c this game can keep the entertainment flowing with a little more flavor in the vanilla. Expand
  58. Nov 2, 2013
    I wrote before that this game is completely awesome and outstanding. Well, I got bored of it. It can be really repetitive when you play more like a year, almost every day. Still a good game, though. If you never played it you will love it.
  59. Oct 28, 2013
    This game used to be fantastic. As a kid, this game was my life. But after a while, the developers have become lazy and add literally NOTHING to the game. Its just the same old same old. Start a new world, find diamonds, done. The game isn't terrible, but look at Terraria. They have literally added 2000+ items within the past 6 months. So, get this game, play it for a bit and be done with it...
  60. Oct 18, 2013
    i admit that minecraft is a original game
    it has an original gameplay
    but what can i say?
    minecraft its no for me
    i guess its not enought fun for me
    i dont see the interesting
  61. Oct 15, 2013
    The game has gone a long way since 2009. It began as a novelty sandbox infinitely-generated 2D game, but eventually the game, although not losing it's appeal to new players, slowly started getting less invigorating and more arduos to the old veterans, like me. I don't like some of the changes Mojang has made to Minecraft, but I would honestly say the good slightly outweighs the bad. ButThe game has gone a long way since 2009. It began as a novelty sandbox infinitely-generated 2D game, but eventually the game, although not losing it's appeal to new players, slowly started getting less invigorating and more arduos to the old veterans, like me. I don't like some of the changes Mojang has made to Minecraft, but I would honestly say the good slightly outweighs the bad. But again, it starts to lose appeal to old Minecraft fans, namely because of some of the updates Mojang has made and the fact that survival just isn't a long-term thing after a while. Then again, it's come a long way and tons of friendly people, mods, and texture packs live in the Minecraft wild, and it is indeed fun to play with sometimes. In short: Minecraft's good concept is very slightly ruined by updates that kinda ruin the game's aspect and eventual non-appeal. For 26 bucks? I'd say it's worth it. Maybe even a must-buy. But if this game was in any older stage, I might have given it a slightly higher score. Expand
  62. Oct 15, 2013
    While I enjoyed this game for its fun gameplay, great sandbox and creativity, it has it's drawbacks. When you first begin, you have to survive. You have to hunt, gather and create a shelter to avoid being killed. This is most certainly the best part of the game. However, after this you can just create. This is fun, but gets rather dull after a while. There is no real threat anymore. ThatWhile I enjoyed this game for its fun gameplay, great sandbox and creativity, it has it's drawbacks. When you first begin, you have to survive. You have to hunt, gather and create a shelter to avoid being killed. This is most certainly the best part of the game. However, after this you can just create. This is fun, but gets rather dull after a while. There is no real threat anymore. That is why I always play on the hardest difficulty. I think it is fun, but definitely overhyped in my opinion. Expand
  63. Aug 27, 2013
    Pretty cool, gets boring after a while. and don't tell me that mods are going to fix that issue seeing as I get bored of the minecraft environment and overall look. CSS mods ftw :P
  64. Aug 20, 2013
    Not really even a game. Sure, it has bundles of entertainment value. Sure, the skies the limit when it comes to what one can do. Sure, it can be modded into the depths of Hades, but when it comes down to the brass tacks the game just lacks inherent substance. Much of the praise for the title comes from the idea that there is literally oceans of potential, potential that is left to theNot really even a game. Sure, it has bundles of entertainment value. Sure, the skies the limit when it comes to what one can do. Sure, it can be modded into the depths of Hades, but when it comes down to the brass tacks the game just lacks inherent substance. Much of the praise for the title comes from the idea that there is literally oceans of potential, potential that is left to the creativity of the player to attain. It's just a framework for the user to nucleate their hopes and desires. The developers haven't done enough to give a definite experience. There's almost too much freedom. It's like they just gave a peasant an empty plot of land and neglected to provide any instruction. Granted, the newly minted farmer can grow whatever they choose but I'm sure the majority of the impoverished would much rather prefer some stuff on it initially. I liken it to a three dimensional Microsoft paint in which the artistically inclined are unlimited in their scope whereas the majority of the uninspired will grow bored of it in an hour. Expand
  65. Aug 15, 2013
    I've been thinking about it for quite a while, but in the end I could not give this game the passing grade. Let me get this straight, this game has an awesome, innovative gameplay mechanic, and that's the reason I'm so upset to see it wasted so much. Once the game became popular things has just gotten increasingly worse. The medium "consumer" of minecraft now is a ten to fourteen years oldI've been thinking about it for quite a while, but in the end I could not give this game the passing grade. Let me get this straight, this game has an awesome, innovative gameplay mechanic, and that's the reason I'm so upset to see it wasted so much. Once the game became popular things has just gotten increasingly worse. The medium "consumer" of minecraft now is a ten to fourteen years old kid that wants everything right away, leading the dev to implement "stuff" just for the sake of it, without gaving it any real ingame purpose, balancement, or effort required in order to attain it. The real potential of the game has been ignored and rpg like features has been added to make it more commercial and appealing to the casual gamer. And the bugs. The game is just full of them and every release adds more than it solves. This is a real pity, but it almost looks like the devs doesn't even care about it anymore, Minecraft maked them rich, why should they bother? This game could have scored ten, and probably someone will soon make the game that Minecraft was meant to be, I'm looking forward to that while I watch another great game get beaten into commercial rubbish. Expand
  66. Aug 11, 2013
    Not bad. The game's key concept is doing whatever you want, be it constructing the Empire State Building, or making giant Megaman pixel art. However, it is held back by a few key problems: This game probably has the steepest learning curve I've EVER seen in a videogame. So many crafting things to remember, so many ores, so much everything! Also, the game is quite buggy, but I won't hold itNot bad. The game's key concept is doing whatever you want, be it constructing the Empire State Building, or making giant Megaman pixel art. However, it is held back by a few key problems: This game probably has the steepest learning curve I've EVER seen in a videogame. So many crafting things to remember, so many ores, so much everything! Also, the game is quite buggy, but I won't hold it against it for this kind of game. It has its problems, but the game should last you A LONG TIME, as long as you are ready to learn! Expand
  67. Aug 9, 2013
    I do like it a bit. However, if you don't know what to do in this game, then you are pretty much finished playing already. The game doesn't say what you have to do, so for a lot of people it is unclear. Also, even though the graphics are bad, the engine is horrible and it doesn't even run properly on my "good home entertainment pc"
  68. Jul 30, 2013
    Well, as someone who played the game before it became a giant gaming staple, here's what I think:
    Minecraft is a good game, if you can call it that. It really is. It's fun, engaging, creative, and endless. However, Minecraft's many fallacies are covered up by it's community, who seem to worship Mojang as if they're gods.
    Fallacy number 1: It's not a game. It isn't. It's like playing with
    Fallacy number 1: It's not a game. It isn't. It's like playing with Legos. Sure, you can fight stuff, and fight bosses, but that doesn't make it a game. You can play with Lego figures and make them fight. That doesn't make Lego a game. It's a toybox/sandbox, and really nothing else. The gameplay is repetitive and gets boring after a while.
    Fallacy number 2: Updates. Minecraft's updates used to add new things that build onto the gameplay, not worthless things like more biomes and potions. Minecraft no longer progresses.
    Fallacy number 3 (the BIG one): Community. Minecraft's community sucks, plain and simple. It's full of moronic fanboys who bought the game because it's popular. The defend Minecraft and Mojang with their lives, despite Mojang being uncaring for it's fans.
    So there it is. You may not like it. You may have already disliked this review. I do, however, enjoy Minecraft once in a while. It's not the best game ever as some people say, but it's fun once in a while.
  69. EGB
    Jul 27, 2013
    Minecraft has steered away completely from what it originally was. That original idea is far gone now. The game is now in a confused state where it does not know whether to be an RPG or a Sandbox game. The game is filled up with little useless content.

If only Minecraft focused on adding more content, mechanisms, bug fixing, multiplayer stability, tools, modding possibilities. Notch,

Notch, you should have listened to yourself and made the game what you originally wanted it to be.
  70. Jul 24, 2013
    This game is overrated. The mechanics themselves are poor. Of course you can spent a lot of time and be creative, but then its like a 3D-Paint programm. Of course you can make some funny things with red stones too, but honestly, i wouldnt pay over 10€ für a java written unpeformant game like that.
    Its a okay game, but nothing more. To less content and bad implementation for a higher rating.
  71. Jul 12, 2013
    Minecraft has been a great game for all ages. You could Kill, build, and (for almost everyone) mod. The newest updates (1.6.1 & 1.6.2) have changed almost everything about this game. You need to do a lot more to mod it or add texture packs. Whatever Notch is doing he really needs to turn his act around before he crashes. I hope this turns out for the better.
  72. Jul 7, 2013
    While I do find the game to be extremely overrated, It is still a solid game. I have fun running about a endless world making anything I want in the creative mode. But I do not care for the adventure mode at all. But the game is also incredibly glitchy, but that is to be expected. I do recommend minecraft, but it is not as good as people say.
  73. Jun 27, 2013
    When I first started to play Minecraft, I had no clue what to do. After a while, I began to figure things out, building mud shacks. As I got better, I built bigger and cooler buildings. There was a point while I played this game where I was addicted, trying to build giant structures, spending hours at a time completely immersed. It was really cool.
    And then it got boring. After a while,
    And then it got boring. After a while, the game just loses its original charm and becomes a chore to play.

My fun while playing Minecraft is like a parabolic curve. I started off bored, got really into it, then at the end got really bored. The first two weeks are still a blast, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.
  74. Jun 10, 2013
    Minecraft is a game with its own rules. It is the pure spirit of creativity. You can buld everything from blocks and build new blocks or entities by combining these blocks.
    The Multiplayer is the collective fight for life, against creatures of the night, which like in the Singleplayer culminates to greed for ores, gold, diamonds short: for all luxurious goods. But it is a fading greed, only leaving a feeling of having left something unfinished.
  75. Jun 6, 2013
    Minecraft is a game of freedom, survival, crafting and building. The graphics are simple, still good. Everything is built up from pixelated blocks. There is a nice day/night cycle, randomly generated terrain with hidden dungeons, underground cave systems, huge oceans, hills, swamps, villages, and with lots of other biomes and areas. In normal survival mode, you start basically withMinecraft is a game of freedom, survival, crafting and building. The graphics are simple, still good. Everything is built up from pixelated blocks. There is a nice day/night cycle, randomly generated terrain with hidden dungeons, underground cave systems, huge oceans, hills, swamps, villages, and with lots of other biomes and areas. In normal survival mode, you start basically with nothing. You need to collect resources, craft tools, clothing, hunt, and explore new areas and visit other worlds. There is an ending for the game, so it is not just for nothing.

Redstone is an other really cool feature, you can build traps, complex machines with it. It is a really nice, unique feature of the game.

Also there is an unlimited creative mode, where you can build and create without limitations. You can generate normal and flat world in case you want to build on a flat area.

As much the game is, there are large amount of flaws in it. One of the frustrating factor is it is still very badly optimised. It lags sometimes like hell, You should say, get a better PC, but to be honest, I saw better looking and well working similar programs, that ran much better and had nice, high resolution textures. So the code is unoptimised, and also buggy. With all the updates we get some new content also lots of new glitches. That's sad.

There are still not enough mobs (creatures) in the game. My other problem is the sounds. The game lacks of nice environmental sound effects. I would be happy with cricket sounds at night, birds tweeting, and other nice environmental sound effects.

Multiplayer is much more enjoyable than any modes of single player. Unfortunately, it can be also glitchy sometimes. Don't think about major glitches, but they're still there. Also there is no server browser, which would be a nice feature.

In multiplayer, there are much more possibilities, also there are non-official servers programs that gives great expansion for the game as permissions, better tools for editing the world, add shops into the game, make PVP arenas, etc...

Good news, there are lots of modders and there lots of mods out there, however, modding is not supported by Mojang (the creators of the game). Some mod APIs are already done by modders, gives possibility to play with mods in both single and multiplayer!
    For 1.6 there is a Modding API in plan, that will give official support for mods. I can't wait for that!

So in overall, Minecraft is a unique experience, if you can live with the graphical limitations, but I still feel the game unpolished and unfinished.

If I was reviewing 1.0 (or 1.7.3 Beta, which was my favorite), maybe I would give it a higher score, but I think the game is going slight downhill, the updates are not really large progresses at all, they doesn't really fix some basic problems, the optimization is bad, and it has some basic issues.
  76. May 28, 2013
    Minecraft was an Action/RPG/Sandbox game but they changed it to Sandbox/Survival game,i dont know if i recommende it, this game is an OPEN WORLD that load chuncks and i hate it beacuse it lags.
    If you an old,bad computer you wont run it so good with mods like Mo creatures.
    If you an old,bad computer you wont run it so good with mods like Mo creatures.
    The game is avarage for SP but i really recommend SMP(Survival Multi Player) i like Vanilia servers but Bukkit servers are the modded ones that have "Plugins" Plugins are like a mod my favorite plugins are the ones that allows you to protect your stuff i.e chest,personal door etc.
    This game has many items,2 bosses,many blocks and the 2 bosses are:Wither and Ender Dragon.
    Wither is a boss that gives you "Wither" effect that is like Poison but you cant see your hearts
    *WARNING THOSE PARAGRAPHS CONTAINS SPOILERS*Ender Dragon is the final boss that you must defeat when you defeat him you get 120+ levels for enchaments and 1 Ender dragon egg,to get the egg you must have a Piston and a lever.
    When the Wither patch was in minecraft the sky was darker when you didnt defeat
    Gameplay is not too great but it was their first game created
    Enchantments are terrible,i recommend to save your xp if you dont have too many bookselves beacuse level 30 is the good enchantment but still you get bad enchants so if you click 1-29 levels you get bad enchants.
    I recommend to play the Demo version
  77. May 9, 2013
    I had a rather good gameplay experience with Minecraft, however, I quickly got bored. I played about 50 hours in the first week, and then just kinda stopped. My interest slowly petered out. It's an excellent game, and certainly worth the price (I bought it in late alpha, so I got it cheaper.), but don't expect 600 hours of gameplay.
  78. May 6, 2013
    After I bought my Xbox 360, the game I wanted the most was Fallout 3, a game that I heard had taken some people's sleep due to its depth and infinite possibilities that kept people thinking about what decision to make next and what would be the outcome of that decision. I did end up buying Fallout 3 but it didn't kept me awake at night like it did to some people (still, a great game!). TheAfter I bought my Xbox 360, the game I wanted the most was Fallout 3, a game that I heard had taken some people's sleep due to its depth and infinite possibilities that kept people thinking about what decision to make next and what would be the outcome of that decision. I did end up buying Fallout 3 but it didn't kept me awake at night like it did to some people (still, a great game!). The game that did that for me was Minecraft. The idea of being able to modify the ole world and build everything I could think of was incredible! Even more incredible when the stuff you build actually had a purpose, to help you survive. I really became a fan of survival games when I started to play Minecraft, unfortunately, the survival element of the game disappears after the first 4 or 5 in-game days because, by that time, I'd already built myself a basic house, I had a mine and I had weapons. It turns into sandbox RPG where you just want to raid dungeons, farm XP, get better gear, kill bosses and then kill the Ender Dragon (the final boss). The developers really got me confused when they started putting these RPG-ish things into the game (bosses, leveling system, potions, dungeons, enchantments...) instead of enhancing the survival aspect of Minecraft. That (to me) was a problem. Another problem tis game has is that you will probablly lose interest on the game when you get to the middle part of the game because you've become so strong and resourcefull that nothing feels challenging anymore. Lucklly for Minecraft, those are the only mistakes I found in the game. The random map generator is amazing, the creative mode lets you use every block in the game so you can just build awesome stuff hardcore mode adds permadeath, making the game more challenging and the multiplayer makes everything more enjoyable (and there's LAN). I gave this game a 7 out of 10, not because it's a good survival game but because it's a great adventure game that's even better with friends, because it allows you to shape the world as you want and because of the amazing world generator that give this game a lot of re-playability. If you own a PC, you probably already played Minecraft, but if you haven't, you have to! Expand
  79. Apr 2, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft it was AMAZING!!!! However, it quickly got boring due to the fact that there is no change. Survive the first night, expand during the day, hide at night, after about 2 months this quickly became repetitive and boring. It became interesting again when I started playing online with a few (3 or 4) friends, but again became very repetitive.
  80. Mar 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a very good game. A nice, if not new concept which allows players to achieve great things. The game works well with friends, and alone, but you must realize that in order to be entertained, you need to have a goal. If you aren't working on something this game gets boring fast. So think of something, and build it!
  81. Mar 26, 2013
    Minecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually aMinecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually a game for those who are creative- those who imagine huge castles or roller coasters and thus will get quite boring after a while if you don't have a constant intake of these ideas (which is where the mods come in). The community is great- if not oddly overenthusiastic at times and should give you a good time. The graphics have never been a problem to me.
    An 8 for those who are creative and a 6 for those who aren't, so an average of 7 is pretty good.
  82. Mar 21, 2013
    At first I thought WOW!! Really? I can do anything." And when I did just that...I sat there. Bored, so what did I do? Went online to share it of course. Only to be greeted by obnoxious children, clearly brain dead from playing the game too long and arrogant administrators who just want your cash. While the game is creative it is also pointless and aimless, some of the things i've seenAt first I thought WOW!! Really? I can do anything." And when I did just that...I sat there. Bored, so what did I do? Went online to share it of course. Only to be greeted by obnoxious children, clearly brain dead from playing the game too long and arrogant administrators who just want your cash. While the game is creative it is also pointless and aimless, some of the things i've seen built are magnificent but a lot of them are just uninspired. You feel as if you've just been dropped somewhere and forced to do things, kind of like school really. The "mobs" are at first exciting but they soon become boring and you just don't care anymore. Obviously the graphics is bad and texture packs still don't make any difference but I don't care, its not a graphics reliant game. The "game" has no....gameplay, I would recommend you attend an oriental zen garden class rather than Minecraft, leave all the Minecraft players in their dark caves... Expand
  83. Mar 8, 2013
    I'll admit that Minecraft is a generally enjoyable game, but as a standalone title, it's a little underwhelming. The game almost relies on mods to stay interesting, whereas the base game honestly gets old pretty fast. The singleplayer "campaign" is rather dull, but the game's redemption comes into the light with the multiplayer avaliable. Plenty of servers are up 24/7, and I personallyI'll admit that Minecraft is a generally enjoyable game, but as a standalone title, it's a little underwhelming. The game almost relies on mods to stay interesting, whereas the base game honestly gets old pretty fast. The singleplayer "campaign" is rather dull, but the game's redemption comes into the light with the multiplayer avaliable. Plenty of servers are up 24/7, and I personally know 3 people who own their own. However, servers are still only interesting with mods, and as a base game, there's only so much you can do.
    In terms of standalone games, I'd recommend Terraria much more. However, if you're willing to put up with the installation of 30+ mods just to make the game better, I'd recommend this.
  84. Feb 14, 2013
    Minecraft was a very fun game. It quickly became boring during the full release phase. It just doesn't have that feeling of adventure and creativity anymore from recent patches. They didn't add much to the game.
  85. Feb 3, 2013
    An interesting concept that comes with MANY flaws, and is as boring as hell.
    An interesting concept that comes with MANY flaws, and is as boring as hell.
    Minecraft is quite a revolutionary game that attracted tens of millions of players from around the world. Once you get past the fact that the graphics are absolutely terrible, Minecraft is actually quite an addicting game. In Minecraft, you can build just about anything. From a dirt house to a functioning Television, the possibilities are basically infinite. The multiplayer is extremely fun. Minecraft is a great way to hang out with friends online in a casual setting.
    However, Minecraft has terrible gameplay outside of building. You generally have no sense of progression, and reaching the "end game" only takes about a week to do. The minecraft community is terrible. I mean, i don't think i even have to explain that. The music in Minecraft is awful, and generally, It's really a boring game.
    The most points i can give Minecraft is about 6/10, but the fact that is is a complete ripoff drops it down to a 5 for me.
  86. Jan 21, 2013
    after seeing the review total of a 7.1 i was confused how it could be so low, but then i realised thats what it truly was. If i were to say minecraft was not and incredible game i would be lieing, but the key word there is WAS. Minecraft started out simple, elegant, and an amazing game. However, the turning point came with the add ons. Alchemy, Enchanting, the end, all it did was hurtafter seeing the review total of a 7.1 i was confused how it could be so low, but then i realised thats what it truly was. If i were to say minecraft was not and incredible game i would be lieing, but the key word there is WAS. Minecraft started out simple, elegant, and an amazing game. However, the turning point came with the add ons. Alchemy, Enchanting, the end, all it did was hurt minecraft. It was a game that lost its point and turned from a simple peaceful farming game into a tolkin RPG with farming element. Expand
  87. Jan 13, 2013
    After playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see aAfter playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see a point in continuing to try to change the game anymore than they already have, there is not much more they can add to improve the games mechanics and features at all. I enjoyed the days where minecraft was a game where you were not forced to eat almost all the time. Now they are making it more "realistic", which I can see makes the game more challenging. Realism also attracts more people to play the game. I am really tongue tied on this one, and I really don't have a clue what I want to say about this game anymore. It went from being excellent, to now it's starting to get boring. They need to improve it for the better instead of the worse, and they need to do it quick before they lose a lot of fans, and players. When I got a new computer, I had intentions of having a good time playing it. The worse had already happened though, it changed. I am going to give this a score that I just need to give, and I recommend giving it a try, but don't expect too much from what used to be the original minecraft. Expand
  88. Dec 22, 2012
    Is quite a bit of fun at first. Especially if played with friends but it gets old fairly quickly. Even with mods and creative mode, I didn't put any more than 20 hours with this game. I wanted to like it (many of my friends play it) but it seems the objective of the game is to build things just to look at them. That concept is fun for a while but won't keep you coming back for more
  89. Dec 16, 2012
    Good game, but not technically. The game offers a nice gameplay for the first 4 hours. Then, it becomes boring and you have to play multiplayer. Multiplayer is good, and offers some plugins feature, but it can't be a very good multiplayer, since the game isn't that competitive.
  90. Dec 7, 2012
    The best minecraft version is, hands down, 1.7. All versions above that suck. Mojang just ruined the game with RPG stuff and **** and released the game in a BUGGY STATE.
  91. Nov 29, 2012
    This game never called me, just when a friend told me to give it a try i checked it out. At the beginning i got addicted to it but after playing some hours i got bored. This game at the beginning is fun, finding your first diamond but . . . it ends soon. The good thing in this game are the constant updates and the mods made by players. I think the game is expensive for what it is. TheThis game never called me, just when a friend told me to give it a try i checked it out. At the beginning i got addicted to it but after playing some hours i got bored. This game at the beginning is fun, finding your first diamond but . . . it ends soon. The good thing in this game are the constant updates and the mods made by players. I think the game is expensive for what it is. The graphics suck ba***. The first thing i noticed is the horrible graphics that almost made my eyes suicide when i saw people actually playing this but overall is not a bad game, maybe with a little more of story and more development it could have been a great game, who knows? Expand
  92. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a good game, but Terraria is better. What to do after you beat enderdragon? Sit around punching creepers with a stick? It is still a good game, but I prefer Terraria more... Expand
  93. Nov 5, 2012
    Minecraft is fun and very different experience from most games, but it finds itself in a very odd position however, It finds itself in between a game and a sandbox editor. The game doesn't have much direction to it and while this is fun at first, the game gets progressively less fun when you get the hang of it. The problem is generally remedied by the numerous mods that are released forMinecraft is fun and very different experience from most games, but it finds itself in a very odd position however, It finds itself in between a game and a sandbox editor. The game doesn't have much direction to it and while this is fun at first, the game gets progressively less fun when you get the hang of it. The problem is generally remedied by the numerous mods that are released for it, but until mod support is officially implemented I cannot give the developer any credit for it. Overall, vanilla Minecraft doesn't really really have much going for it, but it serves as a great building block (no pun intended) for mods, which is where the game redeems itself. Expand
  94. Oct 2, 2012
    The FACEBOOK of level design. Facebook, and before that MySpace and web"blogs", made having your own 'webpage' available to everyone. Minecraft makes level or map design available to everyone. In the past this was limited to people who could understand the design tools for a given game. They've simplified it enough that everyone can create, and the people flocked to them, in some casesThe FACEBOOK of level design. Facebook, and before that MySpace and web"blogs", made having your own 'webpage' available to everyone. Minecraft makes level or map design available to everyone. In the past this was limited to people who could understand the design tools for a given game. They've simplified it enough that everyone can create, and the people flocked to them, in some cases not even sure why they loved this 'game' so much. Guitar Hero tapped in to that for music. The question we should each be asking ourselves is probably: what's the next creative activity that we can make so brain-dead simple, that we'll all want to do it? Because like my friend Thomas is fond of saying, "this isn't really a game, it's a system for tapping into a deep seated cognitive bias: that we all want to create."

Perhaps story writing can be simplified further. In a way, blogs, D&D, TheSims, Civilization, and Neverwinter nights have made that possible, but it isn't yet easy enough to link words, and music, and visual content. So are you going to be the next multimillionaire? Hopefully this will inspire someone.

(What shall we call it? Storycraft? BookBook? :))
  95. Sep 2, 2012
    Minecraft was a good game, when notch was developping it, he listened to fans and updated according to that, but now that he has left, he has let a drunk phyco run the game
    Really? emeralds? stupid annoying npc's and extreme lag even if the graphics are bad
    I'd say that if notch dosent get his fat- ass on that developer chair again, minecraft will go to a wonderfull and fun indie to a
    wonderfull and fun indie to a complete disaster
    im giving a 5 because of minecraft before
  96. Aug 16, 2012
    This game was revolutionary when it came out. It was original and yet retro with the basic graphics, however with later updates the game went downhill. Notch had good intentions when he started but he seems to have been corrupted by the money. The single player is fun enough to play but becomes boring somewhat quickly. Multiplayer held out some hope for this game with multiple players andThis game was revolutionary when it came out. It was original and yet retro with the basic graphics, however with later updates the game went downhill. Notch had good intentions when he started but he seems to have been corrupted by the money. The single player is fun enough to play but becomes boring somewhat quickly. Multiplayer held out some hope for this game with multiple players and plugins. The $10 beta price was amazing for this game but $30 is too much. However if you are good with computers Minecraft mods really make this game shine. They can range from fixing simple bugs, to adding new ores, mobs, blocks, and player modification. Which goes to show you that the community can make a game so much better for than the company. If you aren't good with a computer then this game is not worth it but with mods this game becomes absolutely amazing Expand
  97. Aug 6, 2012
    At first i loved this game it had a lot of potential and was overall fun either in survival or creative but i soon got bored and didn't really play it anymore i just started terrorizing the nearby villages with TNT and lava
  98. Aug 1, 2012
    Whats interesting is that in the alpha stage, I would give this game a 9 or 10, it was a masterpiece that was constantly updated with excited content that kept us coming back for more and more. Sadly though, the "finished product" lacks so much of the charm from the alpha verisons and more importanltly feels like a very unfinished product. Notch is great in a lot of ways but to me, itWhats interesting is that in the alpha stage, I would give this game a 9 or 10, it was a masterpiece that was constantly updated with excited content that kept us coming back for more and more. Sadly though, the "finished product" lacks so much of the charm from the alpha verisons and more importanltly feels like a very unfinished product. Notch is great in a lot of ways but to me, it feels like he rushed the release version for more profits which he honestly didnt need at that point and in doing so left his early fans dissapointed. The villager AI is basically non existant and I beleive they should have just been left out, it used to be you where the only humanoid in this world and that gave you a sense of that lone wolf lone survivor feel which was terrific. IF the villages had some decent AI this wouldnt be a problem but now they feel tacked on and pointless. The combat could have been so much more, but as it is, it is nothing but rapid mouse clicks, no thought AT ALL to strategy and some will argue thats not the point to minecraft but those people honestly dont realize that in a survival mode game, combat is the key element that seperates it from creative mode. Lastly, the survival mode promised since alpha was never released which was a big let down and I feel its because Notch figured he made his money from the game, why put more money into it to keep his fans happy. For alpha all of these downfalls were forgiven since hey, it was ALPHA, but for a supposedly fineshed product, it sure does not feel like one. I feel that a 7 is a fair score. Expand
  99. DME
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sandbox-junkies will find a lot to do, but players looking for a game with goals and objectives should steer clear.
  100. Jul 15, 2012
    My feelings for vanilla Minecraft are mixed. The huge, limitless world is stunning, and the ability to create almost anything you want is awesome. I think the best thing about Minecraft is its endless possibilities, especially when you factor in the huge assortment of mods that have been made for the game. I would rate Minecraft with mods (Technic Pack, etc.) a 9/10, but vanilla MinecraftMy feelings for vanilla Minecraft are mixed. The huge, limitless world is stunning, and the ability to create almost anything you want is awesome. I think the best thing about Minecraft is its endless possibilities, especially when you factor in the huge assortment of mods that have been made for the game. I would rate Minecraft with mods (Technic Pack, etc.) a 9/10, but vanilla Minecraft is sort of becoming a real let down, as the updates are getting fewer and fewer since the game was released and without all the cool mods, vanilla Minecraft does start to get a bit boring. However, I still strongly recommend this game for its huge potential, and as for the graphics: who cares? I am a big fan of realistic graphics, but in my opinion, anyone that would ignore a great game just because of old graphics is a fool. Besides, Minecraft with realistic graphics would need a supercomputer to play. Expand
  101. Mar 26, 2013
    It's a wonderful sight to see another indie game shoot up to the top of the gaming industry, and Minecraft is no exception. This is a definite buy for any gamer, as it provides something unique to the open-world RPG/ adventure genre. The sky is the limit!

Off the mark, most people will know Minecraft for its unique graphical style. Blocks make up every object in this game, and the simple, yet brilliant art-style ties straight into the core gameplay. Running Minecraft is easy- the requirements are extremely low, and with a good gaming PC, I've run this game at well over two-hundred frames per second (that's fast). However: Minecraft is not brilliantly optimised due to its low budget, so expect some very major slowdown when you crank up the settings. 9/10

In the way of story- there is no definite experience. Your story will be personal to you alone, and nobody's adventures will be quite the same, although there isn't a way of tracking what you've done so far by means of recording gameplay, a feature which many people would enjoy. 9/10

The game has a very distinct sound design, which delivers around five or six memorable tracks that play at random intervals. An introduction of some new pieces would be nice to hear, though, as the repeating soundtrack can begin to go stale after a while. Sound effects are also good, but their repetitiveness sours the aural experience a fair amount. 7.5/10

But where Minecraft excels the most is in gameplay. When a player first starts their Survival Mode world, they'll have to chop down trees, craft a crafting table and quickly get to work crafting objects and tools to keep them alive, and safe from the evil enemy "mobs" such as exploding Creepers or bow-wielding Skeletons that attack at night. From here on in, the player is left to do basically anything they want, mining underground for better resources with crafted tools, farming plants and animals to eat and pet, and creating almost anything imaginable with blocks. Minecraft is a completely open world, there for players to explore and adore. 10/10

And if the stellar singleplayer wasn't enough, a multiplayer mode is also available too! This holds the most issues in the game, but will last you even more time. All the servers in Minecraft are private, meaning that you'll have to look up which games are free, type in the IP address of the server, and only then be able to play games. The process is frustrating, and so is making a server (which is free, but needs downloads and looking up to be able to make one), but it pays off when you finally get a game. There are varying player versus player and co-op gametypes that will keep you and your friends entertained together, and all can be found on the Internet. The addition of voice chat would be welcomed, and it isn't yet in the game as of the time this review was written, but a chat bar is sufficient enough. Overall, though, Minecraft is a stand-out multiplayer game. 8.5/10

Altogether, Minecraft is a brilliant must-buy for gamers of any age, and really brings something new to the table. Updates are common, and they give definite improvements every time, the art style is great, the gameplay is unique and the game can literally be played forever. Minecraft easily earns a 9/10.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]