7.4

1. Dec 6, 2011
    A game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's an MMORPG after all. But that doesn't make it good. My problem isn't graphics- they're fine and the game works better this way. And sure, it's different from MMORPGs in that you BUILD the world rather than navigate through it. But this game has way too many fanboys who are going to say this review is unhelpful because I gave it a zero. Big deal. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. The point is that we're approaching 2012 and still people are satisfied from such a primitive, repetitive and frankly un-original concept? I just don't see why you'd want to play this when there's so many better games out there which are FREE. You actually have to pay for this rubbish. This game is just Doodle God mixed with Runescape imo. There's no justification of why it's good other than you can place blocks on top of each other. Why not play lego? It's so much better. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  3. Jul 31, 2014
    This game's only achievement is that it attempts to unite gaming with videogame making. You actually build something of your own game without having to cope with the actual making of the game. Gamers join its evolution process and this is the reason so many mods exist. It is an interesting approach, but it cannot be regarded as a game itself. Besides that, "Minecraft" is distinctive for its terrible graphics and boring gameplay. A lot of critics and gamers seem biased and do not even think that we are in 2014 and not at the beginning of the videogame industry. This overrated "innovation" is so repulsive that I'd rather install some software and make a game of my own. And they didn't even attempt a serious improvement since 2009!

For me it's up to your taste, your aesthetics and what you actually seek to get from it.
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  5. Feb 16, 2014
    A once fantastic game, Minecraft over the time has hit a sudden decline every since certain things were added, removed, and changed. Some for the better, and for the worst. Some like it, others do not but I'm in the middle, a decline from when I first played it---which was a 9.
  6. Oct 19, 2014
    Si su estética y su desarrollo fuera dirigido hacia un público mas adulto sería de agradecer. Con una cierta edad, a uno le da vergüenza jugar a esto. Los objetivos son repetitivos y aburridos, para crear algo decente hay que dedicarle demasiado tiempo.
    ¿Muchas posibilidades? Puede ser. Pero si el juego se hace aburrido pronto de que sirve.
    Un juego así pero con un enfoque adulto y real
    podría estar bien, pero no, Minecraft es un mundo de cubos aburrido e infantil. Una pérdida de tiempo, algo así como LBP pero peor. Expand
  7. Jul 26, 2013
    After all the hype I finally decided to try out the demo, and.. it's crap. My first impression is that it's a super low-budget, pointless and unplayable game. Ugly cubical graphics. Lack of instructions whatsoever. Clumsy controls. The only things i understood were that you can create some items from other items after you press E. And that you can hit mobs by left clicking.
    The game lags
    on my laptop where I could run World of Warcraft at high graphics settings this is totally inexcusable given it's absurdly low budget graphics.
    No matter what you heard about Minecraft, try the demo before buying! And since you won't like the demo, don't buy it.
    And instead of saying that I am an ignorant newbie who doesn't want to understand some depths of this game, please introduce proper instructions tutorial to just let the player know about the depth, if there is any..
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  9. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  10. Aug 14, 2012
    this game is near the top of my most hated games uv all time! its so stupid and its graphics suck so bad that my eyes threw up. its horrendous and it has terrible gameplay, and its stealing my favorite PC game's thunder, Spore! Spore FTW
  11. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is hugely overrated, grows boring after a quick play, and I know the graphics are intended to look bad, but its just ugly to play. The mechanics are boring and overly repetitive, and is not worth the 20 dollars it costs. Do not buy this game, go with Terraria or Garry's Mod, which are both excellent sandbox games. Minecraft however, isn't, so don't buy it!
  12. Jul 31, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it. I installed many mods because the alpha was just too boring with lack of content. Because of all the updates Minecraft got, I just didn't saw much improvement and most of the popular mods didn't got updated anymore. Also installing them became harder. I gave up on Minecraft, just because it's lack of weapons and armor, unoriginal enemys besides the creeper... It's boring. If Mojang just could add many things from the popular mods, it would be so much better. Expand
  13. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  14. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  16. Oct 9, 2014
    Objectively the game has always been bad. But it was still lots fun! Nowadays however, the game has gotten a lot worse and ISN'T EVEN FUN. The hunger system makes Survival Mode a chore to play. Your character starves before you even find a place to build. Want to build? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to explore? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to go spelunking? Nope, gotta find food first.
    The world generation is terrible. Back in Alpha & Beta, each world had it's own twists that made them all unique and interesting. But now, all worlds are almost exactly the same. I'm not even exaggerating. Also the color schemes in some biomes are terrible. WHY IS THE GRASS BLUEISH IN THE MOUNTAIN BIOME?!
    The sound design has gotten cringe worthy. It used to be nice to listen to, and cheesy in a good way. But now the sounds are unfittingly realistic(?) or cheesy in a bad way. NO ONE ASKED FOR REALISTIC SOUND DESIGN FOR MINECRAAFT. IT IS COMPLETELY UNFITTING TO THE GAMES STYLE. As for the sounds that are cheesy in a bad way: Who's idea was it to make the villagers sound like depressed chickens that have a cold?
    The game goes in too many different directions. It has sandbox themes, it has cartoony themes, it has adventure themes, it has survival themes, it has mythical themes. None of these coincide with eachother. It feels like a bunch of community mods were thrown together in one big package. Actually a bunch of the stuff they've added are in fact rip-offs of community mods.
    I haven't even mentioned all the bugs yet. The Alpha & Beta versions of the game were more playable than the current version.
    The game isn't optimized. Like at all. Despite the fact that it looks like it's from 1990, despite the fact that there is nothing that should be remotely hardware intensive in the game, it still runs horribly. Even if you have a perfectly up to date PC, you will still experience random FPS drops.

Pros:
    -Decent gameplay.
    -Multiplayer can be fun.
    -You can do almost anything you want, if you don't get bored that is.
    -There is an official way to revert to the older, better versions of the game.

Cons:
    -Singleplayer is no fun.
    -There is nothing interesting to do.
    -Not much replay value.
    -Tons of annoying little bugs.
    -Badly optimized.
    -Bad AI.
    -The developers ran out of ideas, so they just steal from mods.
    -The hunger system makes survival mode nearly unplayable.
    -Every update adds something bad/useless.
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    This is a game the same way lego is a game- meaning, it isn't. This is a building simulation which is ultimately the most overrated game of the decade. Graphics, controls, and UI are all absolutely horrid- but it's an indie sandbox, so naturally that's enough for those who hate anything made by a big company to love it. If this game was made by EA, every person praising it would instead be talking about how horrible it is. Too bad this era's of gamers are more interested in gaming politics than they are in actual games.

And queue the flood of terrible but cheap or free indie games.
  19. Aug 29, 2012
    I honestly think this game is grossly overrated. It's just an aimless Sandbox, and unless you look up a guide or have friends helping you, you've got no way of knowing what to do. And it's pretty costly, at around $30, you can get Terraria, basically a 2D version of this game on Steam for about 10 dollars.
  20. Jan 26, 2014
    The game started out fine, don't get me wrong. But as it updated more and more and more, it became clear that this game is just a cash cow. There is nearly no actual new content in these updates and it's pretty horrible, really. The only good thing about this game is the building aspect. To say that Terraria is a shameless Minecraft ripoff is an insult to humanity.

This is without a
    doubt the most overrated game of all time and if you want an actually, you know, FUN game, check out Terraria. It's cheaper and still better in pretty much every aspect, except that it's 2D except of 3D but that isn't necessarily bad. Expand
  21. May 27, 2014
    Possibly the most overrated game of all time, it has nothing new ever, it has boring gameplay, stupid AI (even for a game that kids can play) and the same thing that is the opposite of fun Mining and Creating, it is the same all the time, if you want to draw create or whatever just draw with pencil and paper instead of £17 of boredom, also GMod is way better than this, if you think this has lots to do, it hasn't compared to GMod (Garry's Mod) Expand
  22. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  23. Aug 17, 2013
    Now my old review for Minecraft I gave the game a 5/10 now it get's a flipping 0/10 for being one of my most hated games. First of all what makes Minecraft suck are the developers. Notch the original creator of Minecraft made many promises about things he was going to add to Minecraft. He fulfilled 1/100 of those promises and than gave it to Jeb so he didn't have to take the blame for it. Than we have the new owner of Minecraft Jeb. Jeb completely ruined the game by adding all this new stuff that made the game look and feel worse. Everything went downhill from 1.8 and Jeb has only made it fall at a rapid rate. The game was not complete when released. It had little content and looked horrid compared to what it use to look like. Now we get rare updates that add more adventure qualities to a CREATIVE game! Look at the new update for example it added horses and that's about it and how long did it take them like an entire 2 months. This game is a sorry excuse for a game and I wish to see it burn! Minecraft is now a PvP game with terrible combat! 0/10 Expand
  24. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    Having played this game from early beta I can safely say I got my money's worth. This is only true due to the modding community which the developer has refused to support by releasing a mod API( which would allow modding without editing core game files). The unmodded game is very bland. While it contains enemies and NPCs the AI of both are extremely lacking( with NPCs being completely uninteractible, even ignoring the player as they are being beaten to death and enemies moving in a straight line towards the player, being trapped by any pillar too high to jump over due to no pathfinding). The 'release' version of the game carries over many bugs that have existed throughout beta as well as bugs that accumulated near the end of beta when certain user-made mods were implemented into the core game(with less functionality).
    Overall it is an unfinished game by any standard. Anyone giving this game a green score is either doing it to spite others or are considering the work of the modding community in their score.
    to anyone who thinks it is correct to give this game a higher rating because of all the fun you had with the Yogbox mods, ect. remember that this is a review of the actual game, that actually has no support for any mods despite promises from the developer
  26. Mar 29, 2013
    i have played the game, OH YEA i have played this game. it was fun. FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES. i liked modding and the game overall was pretty decent. till now. almost nothing useful has been added, only some serious useless no body's interested of. and this is an overrated piece of garbage anyway, so i say you mojang and your STUPID, OVER RATED trash. period!
  27. Oct 8, 2014
    Not worth the purchase at all! The game is full of bugs and glitches! It wouldn't download on my PC either. The controls were easy. I don't recommend Minecraft to anybody!
  28. Dec 6, 2011
    First I'd like to respond to people claiming I haven't played the game. I have (and continue) to spend 4+ hours a day in this game, and I've hosted a semi-popular for nearly 8 months now.

Now, minecraft is a revolutionary and fun game, and you will be amazed at how long you can keep on playing something as simple as this. If you get bored, you find a server with a different set of rules
    and plugins, and you get a completely new game in doing so. Minecraft has such great potential in so many ways, it's possible to make MMORPG-like servers, competetitive pvp servers, and everything in between.

The problem is, that mojang has decided to spend most of their time on other projects, and adding new features to minecraft. Why is this bad? Because they've released a non-working incredibly glitchy game, and yet they've decided to spend time on either making completely unrelated games, or making it more glitchy by adding more features.

Anybody who wants mojang to add more features is downright stupid, mojang will never be able to satisfy every persons need, it's an impossible task. The fact that so many kids want them to take on the task (and more incredibly that they have taken on the task) is just unbelievable considering the owner is supposedly a member of mensa.

Mojang have supplied us with the base, let the modders take over from here. The only feature they need to add now is some sort of clientside mod API, like spoutcraft but without the need for each player to install it. After this, fix bugs, make the game run as smooth as possible, but do not add anymore features.

FIXING BUGS > ADDING USELESS FEATURES
  29. Jul 20, 2012
    I'm not enjoying this game. It's nothing against the plot of it (Mining/building) It's just that I don't like the graphics. Large pixels and 3D games aren't my thing. I also don't like the lag that the game gives me. I lag, and I've got a really nice computer.

I don't like it, personally, but I can really see how it appeals to a lot of people! If you are a fan of 3D games, get this!
  30. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is absolute rubbish. The combat is mindlessly simple spamming of mouse 1 and the enemies pathing and AI is a joke. The building and mining is incredibly boring. The "exploration" is an absolute waste of time. The entire game is the same thing with slightly different textures. What a waste of money.
  31. May 16, 2012
    Ok, actually this game is bad. I starts funny, ok. But then.... later on it's just very, very boring. Ok, it's cheap. But this is the only good point at that game. Don't buy.
  32. Jan 3, 2012
    Me-Buys 2000$ computer that can run Crysis and Skyrim Maxed out with full anti-aliasing
    MInecraft- Java
    Me- Cant run 256x256 texture packs without lag
    Java, I'm done here
  33. Dec 21, 2011
    Can the people who JUST bought this game please stop making reviews for it.
    You give it a 10 and in a week or less you're gonna find you'reself playing a better game like starcraft 2 or skyrim. It's not bad, but its not worth paying for at all, you're paying for mods and lego.
    Dwarf fortess.....
  34. Feb 22, 2014
    Ah, good old Minecraft... I honestly don't know where to start with this one. Discussing Minecraft in a negative manner is extremely dangerous thanks to the amount of drooling drones that will defend this game to their last breath. Hmm... Well, let's break this review up into multiple categories.

1. Graphics
    This is a very subjective and sensitive topic to elaborate on. It all comes
    down to your personal opinion. Some people like Minecraft's 'retro' graphical style, and some people say it's disgusting. But games aren't all about the graphics, right? Well, maybe for some people... Don't worry though, the vast modding community surrounding the game has come up with many fantastic texture mods to suit your needs. Hell, you can even make a texture mod yourself if you wanted to. Personally, I think the original textures look bland and boring, but I digress...

2. Sound
    The sound design for Minecraft is nothing short of a masterpiece. Whether smashing a block, or listening to the game's soundtrack, you'll instantly be satisfied. I haven't found one person that doesn't like Minecraft's vast soundtrack. It has a calm and soothing tone to it. Sometimes you'll hear creepy cave wind sounds when mining, or hear running water when near a stream. It's definitely one of the better things about Minecraft. There are many different sounds modifications as well.

3. Gameplay
    Minecraft's simplistic nature is what makes it so easy to pick up and play. Well, when you learn the different crafting recipes of course. But this fact is also it's greatest downfall... After you've conquered every dungeon and cave, found every mineral and treasure, and built your own little town, there's not much left to do. The game has no plot or purpose, it's just kind of there for you to paint your own world on the canvas of your own choosing. I'm simply saying after doing this same process over and over, it starts to grow on you. It becomes less and less exciting for every diamond or rare goodie you find. Don't worry though, there's tons of mods to keep you interested, right? Eh, most of the mods are focused on making the game even easier than it already is so... it's a mixed bag. It all comes back to your own opinion.

4. Community
    This goes without saying... Minecraft's community is horrible. Lemme give you some insight on what kinds of 'people' I've come across.

A. Extremely immature children that think they know everything and anything about the world.
    B. Teenagers that have no life outside of coming home from school and sitting on their computer.
    C. Adults in their 30s and 40s that haven't quite grown up yet.
    D.(EXTREMELY RARE) All around good people that respect fellow players and the game itself.

So yeah, another mixed bag... Eh, this topic is pretty pointless. It'll only serve to get more mindless drones to thumb down this review because they can't accept the truth.

Conclusion...
    All in all, this game is not horrendously bad... It has it's flaws, but let's be honest... The only thing that has kept this game afloat in recent years is the vast modding community that adds new content regularly. The original developers, Mojang, have become greedy and lazy, and are just letting the community do their work for them. The only thing they seem to add to the game are more bugs and glitches. I am appalled at the childish behavior by the main developers on social media sites... But the matter of the fact is, money changes people. It makes them evil. That's a fact we can all agree on...

Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate you taking time out of your day for my review. To all the mindless drones, go ahead and thumb this down into oblivion. I really don't care.

-Starkiller94
  35. Apr 18, 2012
    Was EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they added cats, which really pissed me off, not because I was mad about them adding cats, but because instead of fixing many of the GAME BREAKING BUGS (I'm serious, the game lags more than Skyrim) they added CATS. Also the golems, they also do nothing, there aren't any zombie attacks or anything to defend against. The game WAS great, best game I ever played, but that was before the useless updates and laziness of staff.

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.
  36. Apr 2, 2012
    93 metascore?Seriously93?This does deserve 50-60.No,i don;t care about the graphics,they are supposed to be bad anyway.I care about the gameplay,which is bad.REALLY bad.It gets boring very easily,after 2-3 hours it just becomes generic.Why play this when i have Skyrim to play with?
  37. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is horrible, let me first start by saying the graphics are just HORRIBLE, and the game is way too overpriced. The only thing you can do in this game is place stupid blocks. Combat is also boring, there are no animatons and the sound effects are horrible. 0 out of 10
  38. Jul 3, 2012
    this game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a much better game. The only thing this game is good at is it's replay ability witch rates very high for me. You will spend thousands of hours messing around with the crafting table and the various items you can create. Graphics: 4
    Sound: 5
    Game mechanics: 6
    Replay ability: 9
    Intelligence: 2 Bugs: 5
  39. May 16, 2012
    Over-hyped trash with no point. A big lego sandbox with horrible AI, poor controls and a clear lack of vision.

Terraria is about 9 times the game Minecraft is. Minecraft is a good idea, poorly implemented.
  40. Dec 8, 2011
    A game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire who passive-aggressively abuses people on twitter, takes more vacations then he actually works and abandons the game upon release. Expand
  41. Mar 25, 2012
    This game showed tremendous promise, at least in the early stages. However, I feel as if the developers added unnecessary things and were very slow to fix bugs. The novelties begin to fade, and the game becomes boring. The game is also overpriced for the experience it delivers. If Notch made the game around $10, it would be a better deal. The difference between the full release and the Beta is nonexistent. The only real fun you can have is when you create a server to play with friends. But that requires too much work, and the game, at least right now, is NOT worth it. Expand
  42. Oct 27, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game. I mostly play games single player though, and I feel that the single player experience is Minecraft's biggest weakness. Exploring is fun at first, as is mining minerals and getting better gear, but this quickly becomes repetitive because there is not as much to find. Building grand structures and complex mechanisms (the highlight of the game) is not much fun in a world where you are the only one to appreciate it. Combat is another big weakness. There are essentially only two ways to attack enemies: melee attacks and bows. All weapons in the game have the same "attacks" so combat is the same formula throughout the game, you just don't have many options. This all might have been tolerable if the game had a pleasant atmosphere, but with graphics that I personally don't think look good, and a lack of good music, the game is not fun to spend time in. If it had better physics, more combat options (like magic), and more "progression" the game would be fun for single player, but as it is now it's really just a sandbox building game with some survival, exploration, and combat elements tacked on. Expand
  43. Nov 1, 2013
    This is the most overrated game I have ever played. It quickly got boring after a while. I swear, this is not where creation games should go. And the fanbase of this game is worse than the fanbase of CoD hating on every person who gives even the smallest disliking to this game. And worst of all, the terrible YouTube channels like SkyDoesMinecraft make this game worse.
  44. Jun 10, 2012
    When I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will get exploded. I cant belive that this game cost money i mean if you watch gameplay you would think that its free from its ****ty graphics but no they want you to pay 10 bucks for it. If your going to buy this game just save the 10 bucks for a real game or buy Terria or however you spell it. Expand
  45. Nov 28, 2011
    its not even a game that should be getting great reviews i played like an hour of this piece of **** game and it sucked. who would find this fun? maybe some one with a good imagination and has no friends. and if i wanted to build stuff like that i would just get my box of legos out so screw this game!
  46. Apr 10, 2013
    Horrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers are terrible at optimizing the game. The AI in general is terrible and you can hardly consider it AI at all. Zombies run at you and attack you with no pattern. Skeletons shoot you and do nothing else. They have no death animations. You can hardly interact with villagers. Infact, villagers were pointless from the beginning, as when they were added they just came with some randomly spawned village that you couldn't do anything to but destroy or modify. They don't talk. All they do is move around a little and stare at you. The fact that this game got a rating almost as good as Bioshock Infinite makes me sad. The fact that this game got more than a mixed rating makes me sad. Expand
  47. Apr 29, 2013
    The worst game ever created. The graphics: must I explain? They are lazy and terrible beyond the appropriate words I am going to use in this review. The combat sucks. The building is decent at best. The enemy AI is horrible. The friendly AI is horrible. The developers spend more time using their ocean of money and playing April fools jokes than updating the game. What does this god forsaken game have? The answer is simple: Nothing. Play a much better copy, or better sandbox games like ROBLOX and Terraria. This hellhole mess should be destroyed on sight. Expand
  48. Dec 26, 2011
    What is this graphics in 2011? This is awful! I thought this game is very good. This was a big disappoint. This is a BAD game. Don't pay for it! This game has lots of bugs. BAD GAME
  49. Mar 7, 2012
    Please, if you are writing a review after playing after only one day, please don't. I would give this game a 10/10 after the first day, but after a couple of days you WILL get bored, unless you're autistic. After building a couple of houses, a couple of underwater houses, a few castles, and other complex structures (not the houses, those aren't complex) you run out of things to do. Sure, you can go to the end, but the end is actually not everything it was supposed to be. It is a four at best, and I'm being generous. Expand
  50. Mar 10, 2012
    This game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might take you a fair while. As far as building stuff goes a lack of intelligent opposition and the general low difficulty level makes it pointless while building for its own sake is boring due to the simple nature of the game's engine.

A novelty that became a short lived cultural phenomenon. Avoid.
  51. Jul 28, 2012
    its is very boring and uninterseting. I like the idea of being able to do whatever you want and it is a very original idea that strays away from traditional ideas for what a game can be.
  52. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terribly boring game. It's like playing legos online. Not with the 20 bucks. The swede who made this piece of **** racked in at least 20 million dollars off of this terrible block game. Expand
  53. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  54. Nov 25, 2011
    **** graphics
    i honestly do not get the point of this game
    you run around and create a world but honestly who is willing to waste their precious time trying to create a fake virtual world
    only good thing is you can go online and show off but even still who is that bored and lonely that they have to make a world of their own and cannot live in the real world.
    there are also too many
    creepers at night time. Expand
  55. Nov 24, 2011
    Nenhum pouco engraçado, preciso de mais motivação pra encarrar algo tão chato, não gostei principalmente da parte gráfica. O som é péssimo também.
  56. Nov 25, 2011
    If you like sandbox games with no plot, storyline, or point, you will love Minecraft. If you want any of the above, skip Minecraft entirely. I played the game every night for a month or two, but eventually realized that I found it utterly pointless. Sure, I could built a giant block castle, but why? Sure, I could stockpile tons of wheat or iron or diamonds, but again, why? Once you've built a bed and shelter from the monsters at night, nothing you do has any lasting importance or urgency. Sure, you need to farm or hunt for food, but any half-decent farm will develop enough food in a week or so of ingame play to last months. Sure, you can build elaborate traps for the monsters, but there is no need, as all you have to do is sleep and they become irrelevant.

Minecraft is a fancy lego set. If lego turns your crank, have at it. If it doesn't, pass this by.
  57. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a nice gimmicky game that will provide you something to do for a few hours. Any more is questionable. The main idea is building anything you want out of the blocks that create the massive random generated world you are on. The biggest flaw of this concept is building anything you want is limited by just how creative you are. A natural artist could spend months building complicated designs, but for most people, they will only build simple things. The problem is the eventual lack of direction for most people. Survival mode starts the player in the middle of nowhere, having to rush building a shelter for the night before zombies come and eat you. It sound exciting and it is exciting on the first night, but once you figure out how to build a proper shelter, enemies become irrelevant. The player then may decide to dig to as far down as they go, and find the rare diamond. Yet again this is exciting the first time you do it, but becomes completely boring any other time. Exploring also may be fun at first, but becomes pointless shortly after. Currently minecraft is $26.95, which is an absurd price for the game. Most people will struggle to finding things to do after 5 to 10 hours of gameplay. Even if you are the creative type that spends countless hours painting or just building, that hefty of a price tag is not worth it. Unless the game price is lowered or on sale to something more reasonable like $10 would I buy this game. Don't waste your time otherwise. Expand
  58. Mar 17, 2012
    It's been so long and so little has been accomplished, I still have a Sneak key that doesn't sneak. If my dog is sitting and a close the game it is forever stuck sitting. I have a room that is about 5 x 5 with 10 torches in it and zombies still attack me when i goto sleep in the bed, If you want a game that absolutely nothing can go right, this is it. (it's only rated a 1 cause I can still classify it as a game.) Expand
  59. May 14, 2012
    I gaveMinecraft a zero not a ten :). So what I said before but this is actually what I scored it zero so hopefully I get a correct gamescore this time.
  60. Jan 20, 2013
    Over hyped and designed carelessly, Minecraft may be an icon to the indie gaming industry, but it is not gaming perfection by any means.

Part sandbox game. Part strategy. Part... clicking over and over until your mouse button is worn and your finger hurts. As more Minecraft clones appear, to bank in on the game's success, we see copy-cat developers actually better certain aspects of the
    game in their own redesigns. Even now, the developers behind Minecraft seem to be blindly throwing in new ideas hoping to improve the game by adding to the pile of so-so concepts.

Minecraft certainly wasn't the first block-building indie game, and still not the best. But its combination of monsters, mining, and crafting seems to have hooked a hit with the gaming crowd, in a burst of luck and overexposure through social media. Minecraft has its moments of fun, but is a complete bore without multiplayer interaction. The construction system is reasonably lack-luster and the mining system very much feels like a mind-rotting chore than a fun gaming experience. The crafting system redeems the game, barely holding game play together.

The visuals, though cute, also feel too basic. Is the pixel style an intentional design, or just a half-baked cover up for cheap 3D graphics?

Its too expensive for what it is, and as a sandbox game is reasonably lackluster. Exploration and crafting seem to be the best aspects of Minecraft. Everything in between is a fragile experience.
  61. Mar 29, 2014
    Wow, this game really restricts your creativity. I mean, all you can make are giant penises. I haven't jerked off in about two years because I'm so sick of seeing penises. I'm even afraid of my own penis now. I haven't changed pants in about ten years. Well, I guess I'm gonna go play some DickCraft. See ya big boy.
  62. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  63. Nov 21, 2011
    While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The only great thing about this game is the community, they have MADE the game with all the mods and support. The developer has simply profited off everyone else's hard work. Expand
  64. Nov 27, 2011
    Maybe you're looking for a game and you've heard of minecraft. You might be thinking right now, "oh yeah, I heard it's alot of fun, a 95 on metacritic, AND all my friends have it!" The reality is, it's just not a fun game. I mean, yes, it is fun for the first time where you're wondering around trying to survive on what resources you can get - but after a couple hours you will stop and thinking to yourself, "WHY am I DOING this?" there is no purpose but to run around and dig all day. watch out, though, for there are npc's that will attack you! No worries though, for the combat is flawed and not fun, and you can easily get away by digging a hole in the ground. There are no tutorials - so you'll be spending your time watching YT videos of how other people do it - which is okay, no big deal, but that will spoil the fun for you and it will ruin the critical moment of the game. "What about the multiplayer? The mods?", you might be saying. While the mods might be fun and add SOME re playability, there isn't much too it, that goes for the multiplayer, also, because really what else could you do with the multiplayer? Oh - that's right, dig & survive. This game is fun for a couple hours but it is not worth $20 - or however much it is worth now. You will be severely disappointed. Expand
  65. Dec 28, 2011
    Besides the game looking 20 years old, it is merely Lego on your computer screen. Only 6 year olds should be playing it as everyone else should have grown out of the need to put block on other blocks to make a castle or boat which does nothing, but alas, many have not.
  66. Jan 2, 2012
    Don't be fooled by the media attention and hype surrounding Minecraft : It is an incomplete mess of a product - I'm not even calling it a game, it's only intention from day one was to line Notch's grubby pockets with more gold. The game is supposed to have a "retro" feel to it, it was meant to be a "fresh" new indie game which "innovated" the genre. Pay little attention to any review which uses any of these buzzwords. For anyone that played any games which could be defined as retro, you would understand that these games made best use of the graphics they had available to them at the time. Some of them could even be described as visual masterpieces. Minecraft feels like somebody who has never played a retro game in their life before and with little knowledge of the genre has rushed together an abortion of a better game. Every single video game is supposed to have a point, a purpose or a goal for the character or players to achieve. It could be as simple as "deactivating a bomb" or far more complex like the complete storylines found in many modern RPGs. What is the point of Minecraft? What is the player striving to achieve? Nothing. There is no point to anything in this game. Why are villages randomly spawned in the deserts? Can you even interact with the NPCs you find? You can't. There is no purpose to them whatsoever - If you attack them.. they do nothing... you cannot trade with them, they own no items and wander around aimlessly. If this game was still in a beta stage I could appreciate that this is work in progress. But it isn't... This is what the game developers actually want you to play.. this is the display of their talents for the world to see. The only pro of this game is the music, which although it is only a single track it is very soothing to dig away to in the middle of the night. Playing this game online with friends was supposed to be the clincher, but that really gets boring after a while, especially once you realise how poorly made the combat system is for this game. Even if every other aspect of this game was the same, if the developers had even bothered to introduce a decent combat system then I could appreciate this game for what it is, and even give it a better score. However the fact that the developers had left such a poor combat system - which was supposed to be one of the primary features of this game - seems to round this game off as a rushed product with no real intention of being decent. I recall retro games from the 1990s with hundreds of different combat features that wound the audience into the web of the games story. But minecraft only has ONE single click attack... that is it. You must beat your opponents to death with an array of different weapons (4 or 5 different coloured swords) and that really is it. Once you have a full set of Diamond armour pretty much any attacks made by NPCs against your character is made redundant and that makes the game far too easy - where is the replay value in that? Diamond armour can also be made only an hour or two into a game so there isn't even a challenging aspect for combat in this game. Expand
  67. Mar 25, 2012
    This is a very bad game, I have never played a game as bad as this one in my whole entire life, in addition this game looks like it was made in a day by a 2 year old. DON'T BUY THIS GAME YOU WILL REGRET IT !!!
  68. May 2, 2012
    Minecraft, when in BETA, was an incredible fun start to bringing old graphics back into the world. It was actually fairly stable too. But now since it's become more popular, Java has turned bad on it and now all the modifications and the community have ruined how it works. It's just not Minecraft anymore. Sorry guys.
  69. May 15, 2012
    A mediocre sandbox game with alot of potential that it never tried to live up to.
    The game lacks content instead giving you a bland sandbox to play in with nothing to do in the long term except play with lego blocks and find diamond.
  70. Nov 24, 2011
    We are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, the "game" is the problem and such high metascore for a map editor... Well it's a joke. Expand
  71. Nov 23, 2011
    Boring game made great by moders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  72. Dec 12, 2011
    All my friends are always playing Minecraft. They told me to check it out, so I did. I first decided to check out a video of it first to see if it was any good. It looked so awesome, but was I fooled. Within five seconds of loading a new world, I couldn't help noticing the p*ss-poor graphics and came to the conclusion that the whole game was bad. Do not buy this game, it's a waste.
  73. Dec 30, 2011
    MineCraft was the best game I've played when I first bought it when beta first released, but it's gotten really boring. I remember I'd play the game non-stop and then updates began to come slowly and the updates added something maybe cool, but managed to bug and ruin something else or didn't really do anything at all (I mean an update like 1.5 to 1.6 not 1.7.0 to 1.7.1). As a ton of people have said, setting up a multiplayer server is terrible. Mojang, the creators of the game, throw the server software at you with little to no instructions. Sure they maybe some tutorials on YouTube and it may be very helpful but sometimes it just confuses you to the point of frustration. In summary, fun game for quite sometime but eventually will get boring and multiplayer is very weirdly setup. The game, all in all, didn't feel worth the 20 bucks I paid. Expand
  74. Jan 4, 2012
    minecraft is a little bit fun but the graphics are terrible, its just blocks and bits of rubbish , cheap and not good also very unrealistic because i could just put a random block in the middle of the sky
  75. Feb 8, 2012
    The reason that this game is so popular is because it seems incredibly fun in the first few hours, first few days, weeks, etc., but the fun doesn't last. You run out of things to do almost immediately, as there is hardly any content besides playing with blocks. A novelty idea, but not a good game.
  76. Mar 23, 2012
    Not even a real game... Buy a real MMO or RPG! It has the worst graphics ever seen, hell, Jet Set Willy & Monty Mole put this to shame! The fact that so many foolish people hype it up is in itself scary, if you like Lego and are about 7yo you'll probably love it!
  77. Mar 20, 2012
    This game is the most boring piece of **** ever it gets boring after 10 or5 minutes all you do is build **** the graphics are to retro enemies randomly spawn this game is utter **** its just a fail and a abortion of a game
  78. Jul 14, 2014
    **New Review**

Okay hmm, where to start. Well, minecraft is a fun, openworld game with lots of possibilities. Server developers and modders seem to do more work than the actual game developers. The AI is laughable, because modders can make massive, scaly dragons or gigantic pumped zombies. The supposed 'creator' of this game spends more time on vacation than he works. I myself own a MC
    annual 2014, and the mojang people have a pinball machine which they spend more time on. They think themselves cool but really their not. Minecraft is a amazing game, which has skyrocketed in sales. But "Notch" promised things he couldn't deliver, such as a CTF. After the game was released, he basically dumped the game on Jens (or Jeb). The only reason I play this game is because of the mods and servers people make. Minecraft Singleplayer gets incredibly boring. While minecraft mod makers can produce a mod in two days, BAM you have massive dragons, fire breathing trolls, a brand new varirety of weapons, food, tools, ores and even a portal gun! But the developers keep us every time we log onto minecraft staring at that same screen, the same screen all the time. The only ever updates they produce are bug fixes. They promise a amazing "1.8" but they just keep adding and adding and most people won't be able to support their game. Surprisingly, you need a pretty good computer to run the good parts of minecraft, such as Amplified, servers and a Custom World. If you want to have a bit of fun, then I would defiantly recommend this game. But for the hardcore gamer, this isn't for you. Expand
  79. Nov 21, 2011
    Sorry dont see whats the hypes about. tried it for a few days but could not get passed the dos graphics. Play Skyrim instead. you can also explore, mine, etc etc.....what is that i hear - it wont run on your pc oh shame....
  80. Nov 23, 2011
    Bad.. Pointless.. Waste of time.. Terrible Graphics.. Terrible Performance.. infact, not 1 redeeming feature. A game for douches who enjoy playing "hip" "indy" games just for the sake of it to fit in with their douchey gamer friends. How can they even charge people to play this rubbish? It is complete and utter turd.
  81. Nov 29, 2011
    The first time I played it I had to check the calendar. The graphics are so bad I thought I had time traveled back to 1995. I think they borrowed the same engine from Wolfenstein 3D.
  82. Nov 26, 2011
    The hype was astounding, I had to try it. Minecraft was supposedly the creative mining game that allowed you to do whatever you want. It was intended to be fun, despite the horrendous graphics. From what i gathered, you dig holes. Then dig some more holes. If you're feeling edgy you could build things and if you get lucky you'll come across some materials to make stuff. Even so, you'd have to mix and match blindly or open up the Wikipedia page on the side in order to create something useful. I admit, digging into caverns and building a fortress is kind of fun. Sadly, this game's lack for user friendly elements leaves me wondering what is the point of harvesting flowers? Personally, i believe this game is just filled with people with outdated computers trying to have fun with their friends with equally outdated computers. Somehow this ended up with them convinced that this was a good game and so a cult following was born. I decided to give this a better rating than zero only because some people may enjoy learning all the different combinations of crafting within this game. I certainly would not waste my time in this silly and boring universe called Minecraft. Expand
  83. Dec 25, 2011
    This game started off like other indies. Cheap Price, Cheap Game. High ratings go to people not realizing their ridiculous waist of money, almost 30$ for this bug ridden game. It's using popularity to their advantage and overcharging. Its not a bad game, but bugs, awful AI, awful graphics ruin it. Singleplayer is boring out of words, multiplayer is virtually impossible to create a server, and when you join one you're restricted to areas or have to sign up at some stupid forum. Mods are the only cure to this game. One mod alone, in my opinion, doubles the fun of the game. The modders put more effort into this game than Mojang. And with their massive profits they haven't even fixed very old bugs. Expand
  84. Feb 1, 2013
    I was always hearing my friends say "oh minecraft is so awesome i love it" so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad if everyone said that BOY was I wrong, I started out trying survival mode I got bored of that in 5 minutes and the crafting system was so different that i had to look up how to craft things because there was no tutorial or anything to tell you ANYTHING about the game.then i decided i would try creative mode and make some stuff and it is not a bad game if you want to do that but i went back to terraria in 40 min because that actually has good combat also i couldn't play with my friend because it was so hard to figure out his REAL IP address and join it all in all i wish i could get my 20$ back Expand
  85. Aug 20, 2012
    The developers sat around a table one day and made a bet.
    One guy said to another «Hey! I'll bet you $100 that I can come up with a really STUPID IDEA, CHEAP RETRO GRAPHICS, REPETITIVE GAME-PLAY, LACK OF CONTENT, LIMITED ACTION video game title that will entice millions of idiots to play it as if it were the next best thing to sex with 4 women at a time! I bet you that people who
    can't tell the difference between a good RPG and a dog turd will LOVE my game and hype it up to no limits, getting other weak-minded individuals to play it endlessly! I bet we could overprice it, under-develop it, sub-maintain it and no one would give a crap! I bet you that the graphics could be SO BAD that it will make ASCII based games on the TRS-80 in 1981 seem like next-generation DirectX 11 games! I'm willing to bet you that NO ONE will figure out that we're basically laughing our asses off at them to liking it! I bet you we'd be able to MINE their pockets and CRAFT a real piece of dung title!» Expand
  86. Dec 30, 2012
    I baught this game about 2 years ago. I loved every secound of it, i could never wait to get out of scool just to play it! i wanted to do everything, collect every block, kill every zombie, sheep, spider, craft everything, build a cool house and i did! but there was something that allways made me stop playing. something that made me loose intrest. I ussaly started a new game every time i played but i never knew why... now i know. this game is pointless. there is no point in anything you do. you can kill all the zombies collect all the blocks build as many houses as you want but it will now feel rewarding in any way. it seems that most people look at the ultamate goal of this game to collect damounds. and what do you do with them? MAKE A FREAKING DIAMOUND PIC? and what do you do after that? look for more diamounds. that's all there was to this game just collect stuff. there was little no notheng you could do with all the most rare things like gold, iron and diamounds besides buiding more tools to get more diamounds. but they've updated the game a lot but it fells like every update has made the game easier! the hunger gave you regenerating hp the sprinting made it possible to run from spiders the armor update made the armor last at least 10X more and the list goes on. even with all these updates there is still notheng to do in this game. all you do is collect rare items. it's sad rly that this game is so popular. i'm gona talk about some of the updates: the enchantment table interduced an rpg element to the game where by you kill enemys and anamals and get ep to gain levels. you use the levels to upgrade you weapons and armor but this is so pointless it's sad. the only way to level up is to grind zombie after zombie, skellaton after skellaton ec. and what do you get fro this grind? better gear. what's the point? you are able to defend your self just fine without enchantments and there is not rly any monster you need to fight. keep in mind it's hard to explain why this game is so bad and i'm trying to explain it as best i can. there is also multyplayer but that's just as pointless. in multyplayer you are just doing the same pointless thinks with a friend. you can build a house and collect diamounds but that's pointless. it feels like minecraft doesn't know what kind of game it is. is it a survival game? is it a fighting game? is it an rpg? is it a building game? it is all and none of those things. it does not know what it is suposed to be and these "updates" are making the game worse if anything. i think that the thing i tought the most when playing the game is "what should i do now?" i never knew what to do because there is no goal! the game is pointless! there are bad games out there many worse than this one but they all have a point where you start, something you have to do, and a point where you end the game and win. i know there are mods for the game and i've moded the crap out of minecraft many times but even with them the game still feels emty. you can get a mod that adds more monsters to fight but there is no reward for fighting. you can get a mod that lets you create a mineing mechene but there is no point in mineing you can get a mod to give you airplanes to fly around and explore the worl. but there is no point in exploring! THIS GAME HAS NOOOO POINT! NO REWARD FOR DOING ANYTHING! they would have to do a lot to make this game fun for me witch i dubt they will do, now they're trying to relese this pointless game on more platforms to get more money. what do they do with it??? they have so much money! how can they not make this game better when they have soooo much money?!!? one last thing, there is also potion making but that only involves grinding the nether for some crap for hours only to get some potion witch you have no use for since the monsters are rly not that hard to kill. this game is pointless if you don't agree with me feel free to tell me why, i want to hear what you have to say. sorry for the typos. Expand
  87. Jul 31, 2013
    I hate how biased critics are now. They give everything a good review. And this is one circumstance where it deserves nothing. This is probably the most overrated game of all time. It's boring and every person who thinks it's good has either no taste or is under the age of 13. I don't care if the graphics are bad, that's a dumb thing to care about in a game, but Minecraft is so boring and repetitive, I can't even play it for more than 10 minutes without being bored. There really is no point to playing the game. It's weird. A game without a purpose for playing. Notch got lucky with this game. If he put it out 10 years ago it would have gone nowhere. It's overrated and not worth anyone's money. Expand
  88. Aug 29, 2013
    Ugh, just terrible. Sure, good graphics doesn't mean a good game, but this game was bad in every aspect. What is this game? What exactly is the purpose of this game? It's not about creativity, it's not what the game developer aimed for. The game is terrible and deserves this nil. As another person suggested, this is merely Lego on your computer screen, and yes, the Minecraft community consists of under aged immature kids. Expand
  89. Jan 25, 2014
    I loved Minecraft 2009-2011, but then the community peed on me. On me and a lot of other players. It got demolished by these "youtube stars". Stars, but about to go supernova. Please, stop, its disgusting. About the game, it was fine until you play a lot of it, not its so horrible. Best was around 1.8, then it was ****
  90. Jun 11, 2014
    Ehh i have to say this game was PERFECT until 1.8 patch. The added all RPG and **** stuff wich completly destroyed the feeling of minecraft. It was a great, simple and FUN game. Now? It's stupid, boring and completly not fun game..
  91. Sep 17, 2011
    This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game
  92. Nov 26, 2011
    My eyes still burn. What were they thinking????
    Extremely dull, pointless, ugly, worst time i had on a "videogame" in al my life. I could feel it suck the life out of me as i struggle to perceive what was in front of my eyes. Please save your lives and don´t pay the devil for this game because the minute you start playing you start a journey to HELL. For a minute there i
    tought i was on crack because i could only see BLOCKS with different colours but alas it was real. Don´t play this, don´t go near this crap if you value your sanity this is hardly a game but more like an aplication to something. Calculator graphics, extremely painful sound that make your ears bleed and scream to you "why are you doing this to us". In one word, ZERO. Expand
  93. Nov 29, 2011
    When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game, with animals. Booring. Bad gameplay, bad graphics, bad... game i guess. And bad game reviewers giving this mostly positive reviews. I'm talking to you pros at GAMESPOT, IGN and etc: You are supposed to be professionals and you aren't acting like it. Giving this "game" a passing score is **** Grab your **** ponytail and pull your head out of your ass, I don't read game reviews to get my **** hard, i read them to know if a **** game is good or **** bad. Stop being misleading you dickheads.

And to the many fans of the game, enjoy it if you want, I don't give a **** I buy EVERY Harvest Moon game and play them constantly. I know most of them are **** I don't care, it's a matter of preference. So enjoy your game but don't tell me its a **** 10/10 perfect game, have some **** pride and self worth and say "its a 4/10 but I love it". I knocked 3 points off my score to compensate for the dick sucking around here.
  94. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  95. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is fun, sometimes. The vast majority will get addicted to playing it for a few hours here and there, but will eventually get tired of it over and over again. This game is ONLY getting perfect scores from critics because they are hopping on the bandwagon of trying to support something that's indie and still well known, if you know what I mean. Also, Notch is a tool.
  96. Nov 28, 2011
    I had been playing Minecraft since early beta, and upon first playing the game, I thought it was brilliant. The quirky style, the ability to do whatever you wanted, in a random, often beautifully formed world. The mobs were scary and the game was always a laugh with friends, and it was an exclusive thing we shared. However, as of the 1.8 Adventure Update, I've felt the game has been somewhat ruined by the new, rpg style elements they've tried to implement. The Endermen seem forced, and don't seem to click in with the game's atmosphere, or the previous four mobs, at least in my opinion, and the same with the new Silverfish. I thought the hunger bar was clumsy and unnecessary, as is the levelling and enchanting system. For me this has let the game down and left it in a bit of a mess, unsure of what kind of game it wants to be. Also, many people (including myself) have found the novelty to wear off not long after purchase, so be warned, and try and play with friends on a server if you can, and remember what you see is exactly what you get with this game. Expand
  97. Jan 5, 2012
    This game is severely overrated. The creator now hardly updates it at all, and there isn't really that much to do. People say that you need to explore or build if you don't have anything to do but that's boring... I don't want to spend 3 hours building some stupid castle that won't be worth anything when I could enjoy that 3 hours on another game
  98. Jan 21, 2012
    Minecraft hasn't been a nice experience for me. Nothing more. Why? Minecraft is -not- a good gaming experience. I've been playing ever since indev first came out, I was super excited whenever the SMP test server was on and I've wasted hours upon hours just breaking blocks and placing them somewhere else, making cool creations which I'm very proud of some. But why is it a bad experience? First off, there's no tutorial or whatsoever. You'll have no idea what to do on your first playthrough - luckily there's a fan made wiki which will supply you with detailed information about every aspect of the game - but WHY do we have to rely on these kind of sources? Why is there no official tutorial or instructions? I understand that some people enjoyed the aspect of exploring and finding things on their own - but goddamn there aren't even crafting instructions.
    The game itself plays off rather nicely at the start; you randomly break blocks, suddenly it's noon. You build a shelter and start collecting resources... Then what? Nothing. The game becomes bland. There's no objective or win-stage. If you're creative you might still have fun, designing small contraptions and stuff. Maybe after some time playing you'll have an objective set for yourself - which is just collecting resources. But there is only a handful of resources in the game, and it doesn't take long until you get them all. There are some other things that you can do, like build a portal to the nether, or travel to the end... but how are you supposed to know these things exist, without, once again, checking the wiki or getting help?? Everything is simply scattered around the game and the devs expect the player to find these elements on his own while in reality it's an impossible task without some sort of guide or help.
    Then there's multiplayer - a fresh aspect for the game. After you've finished toying around with single player you'll probably want to try out multiplayer. But, guess what? There's no server list (only favorites), you have to type an IP of a server yourself - and where in the hell are you supposed to even get one? In addition to that there are no official game servers or a real way of obtaining a server IP other that asking a friend for a one or searching for a good one on the internet for countless hours. Once again, everything is simply scattered and feels unfinished. I've been playing for a while, so I know how to play the game and what to do. But I almost never find myself just randomly playing. The game gets BORING and the oblivious devs completely didn't take that into account while making this. Let's leave the gameplay-wise section. The game itself, has poor graphics compared to other games todays. Notch's reason for using pixellated graphics is to maintain a "retro" feel. And I can accept that - but WHY does the game take up so many system resources!? I can run Skyrim, Crysis, L.A Noire and other games in the highest settings but this game just slows down after a while and slows down my entire computer. I have occasional lag spikes and even crashes from time to time. This proves Notch didn't care for performance and wanted to release his game asap just to get it out there and earn more money from critic reviews. The game is also COMPLETELY overpriced - I've enjoyed The Binding of Isaac which is only 5$ MUCH more than I've enjoyed this game - And I bought it when it was just 10 euros. It should've stayed with that price, but it didn't. The game is also overpraised just because of what it's been through. All of the critics giving insanely high and undeserving scores have obviously played the game in the beta stage and were eagerly waiting for the game to come out so that they can review it. If the game DIDN'T have an alpha-beta stage and would just come out as it is today without no one knowing about it previously it would've gotten VERY low scores. It's a bad game. It would've been BUTCHERED by critics. Heck, if I could show Notch what his game would become he would've completely changed his plans. But instead he's money hungry. He has made so many promises that he didn't keep, like different gameplay modes or official mod support. I didn't even write about the other crummy features of the game in my review - like the so-called "end" - which is just a boring, artificially difficult boss fight, or the level up system which actually relies on the simple click-to-spam combat. There are even non-responsive NPCs in the game which Notch promised a long time ago but didn't have the patience/time/power to finish them. The game feels unfinished for an old player like me or confusing and bland for new player. It's shameful how it's getting these amazing scores from critics - it simply shouldn't. I'm giving it a 4 because I did spend a lot of time playing it with friends, and made a few creations which felt mostly rewarding and even fun. Thanks for the read.
  99. Apr 16, 2012
    It started good. The alpha was great. Everyone's arch enemy was a creeper. Notch was awesome. But then... BAM! When the Full Version came out there was more bugs than the alpha and beta COMBINED. Notch got really famous and rich that he just left us behind. And when the Adventure update came, I thought it was pretty good. That was, until I found out the NPC to nothing at all but let you trade with them. Then : Minecraft 1.0... WHAT THE **** This is nothing like minecraft! Hardcore? **** that! If you die by even FALLING off a cliff you have to start over THE WHOLE ****ING WAY.... I don't reccomend this game. Expand
  100. Apr 26, 2012
    This game is creative and fun, but it's in Java and it's very poorly optimized. And I don't really think this game is worth 27$, that's really expensive for a game made in JAVA imo. Terraria is just most fun, have no performance issues, it's 10$ full price and it's on Steam.
  101. Jan 21, 2012

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]