7.4

1. Nov 11, 2011
    "Minecraft" lacks the graphics, but is abundant with creativity. Expect enormous fun...with CRAFTING!!!
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    A game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's anA game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's an MMORPG after all. But that doesn't make it good. My problem isn't graphics- they're fine and the game works better this way. And sure, it's different from MMORPGs in that you BUILD the world rather than navigate through it. But this game has way too many fanboys who are going to say this review is unhelpful because I gave it a zero. Big deal. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. The point is that we're approaching 2012 and still people are satisfied from such a primitive, repetitive and frankly un-original concept? I just don't see why you'd want to play this when there's so many better games out there which are FREE. You actually have to pay for this rubbish. This game is just Doodle God mixed with Runescape imo. There's no justification of why it's good other than you can place blocks on top of each other. Why not play lego? It's so much better. Expand
  3. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and hasThe brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2013
    The PC version of "Minecraft" is fantastic. It's a brilliantly designed 3-D game. You can play by yourself and construct houses, explore caves and fight mobs. You can also play online and build together with your friends, PVP with other online players, or just explore the beauty of Minecraft together with friends. Definitely a recommended game for young and old.
  5. Jul 31, 2014
    This game's only achievement is that it attempts to unite gaming with videogame making. You actually build something of your own game without having to cope with the actual making of the game. Gamers join its evolution process and this is the reason so many mods exist. It is an interesting approach, but it cannot be regarded as a game itself. Besides that, "Minecraft" is distinctive forThis game's only achievement is that it attempts to unite gaming with videogame making. You actually build something of your own game without having to cope with the actual making of the game. Gamers join its evolution process and this is the reason so many mods exist. It is an interesting approach, but it cannot be regarded as a game itself. Besides that, "Minecraft" is distinctive for its terrible graphics and boring gameplay. A lot of critics and gamers seem biased and do not even think that we are in 2014 and not at the beginning of the videogame industry. This overrated "innovation" is so repulsive that I'd rather install some software and make a game of my own. And they didn't even attempt a serious improvement since 2009!

For me it's up to your taste, your aesthetics and what you actually seek to get from it.
  6. Dec 8, 2011
    The simplest of ideas are often the best. A great idea and value for money. Players can look forward to many improvements and possibilities in the future of Minecraft. Highly recommended.
  7. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  8. Dec 29, 2012
    Minecraft is the best game on the PC. Building for free is great and Survival is excellent. I thought because it was pixelated it was bad but when i played it it was satisfying and really excellent fun
  9. Feb 16, 2014
    A once fantastic game, Minecraft over the time has hit a sudden decline every since certain things were added, removed, and changed. Some for the better, and for the worst. Some like it, others do not but I'm in the middle, a decline from when I first played it---which was a 9.
  10. Jun 27, 2013
    When I first started to play Minecraft, I had no clue what to do. After a while, I began to figure things out, building mud shacks. As I got better, I built bigger and cooler buildings. There was a point while I played this game where I was addicted, trying to build giant structures, spending hours at a time completely immersed. It was really cool.
    And then it got boring. After a while,
    And then it got boring. After a while, the game just loses its original charm and becomes a chore to play.

My fun while playing Minecraft is like a parabolic curve. I started off bored, got really into it, then at the end got really bored. The first two weeks are still a blast, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.
  11. May 25, 2011
    If you haven't bough this, buy it now! This game has 3D pixels for graphics, and the maps are made of FREAKING BLOCKS! Multiplayer is a hit because you can build with your friends or with a 16-year old Scottish dude. Simple but marvelous gameplay makes this one of the best PC games in my opinion.
  12. Nov 23, 2011
    I have never had so much freedom in a game and Minecraft deserves its high praise because it is near limitless. The simple controls yet addicting gameplay makes Minecraft one of the best indie games out there. Want to build a house? Minecraft can do it. Want to build a castle? Why not? Minecraft can do it. This game is fun as hell and you will never get tired of it as long as Mojang bringsI have never had so much freedom in a game and Minecraft deserves its high praise because it is near limitless. The simple controls yet addicting gameplay makes Minecraft one of the best indie games out there. Want to build a house? Minecraft can do it. Want to build a castle? Why not? Minecraft can do it. This game is fun as hell and you will never get tired of it as long as Mojang brings out newly updates for more enjoyment. Buy it now. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2014
    Si su estética y su desarrollo fuera dirigido hacia un público mas adulto sería de agradecer. Con una cierta edad, a uno le da vergüenza jugar a esto. Los objetivos son repetitivos y aburridos, para crear algo decente hay que dedicarle demasiado tiempo.
    ¿Muchas posibilidades? Puede ser. Pero si el juego se hace aburrido pronto de que sirve.
    Un juego así pero con un enfoque adulto y real
    Un juego así pero con un enfoque adulto y real podría estar bien, pero no, Minecraft es un mundo de cubos aburrido e infantil. Una pérdida de tiempo, algo así como LBP pero peor.
  14. Nov 2, 2013
    [9.1] Minecraft is what you make it and much more. An incredible idea that was executed flawlessly, Minecraft is the best of its genre and can easily rival major titles. Minecraft proves that while simplicity might be requisite in an indie game, it can be used to make something much greater. It takes a massive world, a player, and produces an infinite number of solutions. Exploration is[9.1] Minecraft is what you make it and much more. An incredible idea that was executed flawlessly, Minecraft is the best of its genre and can easily rival major titles. Minecraft proves that while simplicity might be requisite in an indie game, it can be used to make something much greater. It takes a massive world, a player, and produces an infinite number of solutions. Exploration is always overlooked in video games. Developers focus on things like mechanics, challenge, variety, interactivity, and visuals, but don't realize that if given an environment that allows players to freely conquer each of those aspects, their work is done. All a player needs is tools and the internet, because someone will gain enough interest in a game to learn everything about it, and the resulting cascade is a devoted fan base. Expand
  15. Dec 16, 2012
    Good game, but not technically. The game offers a nice gameplay for the first 4 hours. Then, it becomes boring and you have to play multiplayer. Multiplayer is good, and offers some plugins feature, but it can't be a very good multiplayer, since the game isn't that competitive.
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    Minecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hardMinecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hard tasks it can feel very rewarding. I also love creative mode because it's the opportunity to go around a create things that are huge and beautiful with almost no limitations; some things in creative do take a long time to make but when I am done they are very rewarding as well. I also love the music in this game and some of the atmospheres; however I will warn you that there are some really creepy things in this game. Overall, Minecraft is a masterpiece! I really wish people wouldn't bash this game just because they may call it too "mainstream" or something like that. The game is great, It also great to come back to this game after not playing it for a while. Trust me, I started playing this game back in 2012 and I am still playing it a lot today in 2014. Expand
  17. DME
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sandbox-junkies will find a lot to do, but players looking for a game with goals and objectives should steer clear.
  18. Feb 13, 2012
    I was born a hugely creative person. I focus on artwork, screenplays, and am trying to make headway in the film world. As either a screenwriter or possibly director. I am also a gamer, and have been seeking out creative games. I loved the old rpg maker, little big planet. Any opportunity I get to create something I take it. This game had a fantastic initial impression, It was far betterI was born a hugely creative person. I focus on artwork, screenplays, and am trying to make headway in the film world. As either a screenwriter or possibly director. I am also a gamer, and have been seeking out creative games. I loved the old rpg maker, little big planet. Any opportunity I get to create something I take it. This game had a fantastic initial impression, It was far better than I was expecting. I purchased it when it was in early alpha. And while it's a good game - it's not the game I want it to be. While it's very fun going onto peoples servers and looking at what insane rpg-like creations they have made - and it's even more fun creating underground worlds. In every way that I want this game to be more, it dead ends. It's great for spending a lot of time in, but like most mmo games. It leaves you hollow. In this case it's more noble than a mmo's purposeful time consuming-for-money content. It's simply the lack of evolution. To sum it up. This game is brilliant. It's just not as brilliant as it has the potential to be. And as a result I see nothing but limitations. Expand
  19. Dec 27, 2011
    While it doesnt have the looks, the sheer creativity sandbox aspect is a very big selling point, if you ever liked lego bricks as a kid this game is for you, chuck in some mods that add new visuals and things to play with, play on a co-op multiplayer server with friends and you have best reserve a lot of your real life time for this. Simple and Fun, and runs even on the **** PC.
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    Minecraft is a great game and is a unique fun experience. for the price you get a massive amount of content (its basically endless) you have to try it out for yourself to really understand what the game is about. there are problems with the game for example, the ending is pretty bad, a game like Minecraft didn't need any type of ending and that one we got was bad. the boss fight was coolMinecraft is a great game and is a unique fun experience. for the price you get a massive amount of content (its basically endless) you have to try it out for yourself to really understand what the game is about. there are problems with the game for example, the ending is pretty bad, a game like Minecraft didn't need any type of ending and that one we got was bad. the boss fight was cool but you could only take on the ender dragon once, it would have been better if you could re fight the boss and maybe get some cool loot like new ender armour. The final problem with the game in my option is the multiplier, it is a pain in the arse to set up, Mojang should try to make the multiplier easy to set up and use. Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2013
    Minecraft is one of those games where you decide what to do, but this time, you decide literally EVERYTHING. Want to make a farm? Go ahead, make one! Want to live in a cave? Go live in a cave! Want to make a big-ass castle? Why not! How about a spaceship? I mean, who doesn't like spaceships! The freedom in this game makes it the best experience you could have!
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is amazing, with new updates every few months, that get rid of some old bugs. People complain about graphics, but there's more to enjoy, because you can do almost, or a lot of things that you normally wouldn't be able to do in any game you'd find.
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    After all the hype I finally decided to try out the demo, and.. it's crap. My first impression is that it's a super low-budget, pointless and unplayable game. Ugly cubical graphics. Lack of instructions whatsoever. Clumsy controls. The only things i understood were that you can create some items from other items after you press E. And that you can hit mobs by left clicking.
    The game lags
    The game lags on my laptop where I could run World of Warcraft at high graphics settings this is totally inexcusable given it's absurdly low budget graphics.
    No matter what you heard about Minecraft, try the demo before buying! And since you won't like the demo, don't buy it.
    And instead of saying that I am an ignorant newbie who doesn't want to understand some depths of this game, please introduce proper instructions tutorial to just let the player know about the depth, if there is any..
  24. Jan 1, 2012
    Minecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimateMinecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimate mods, and how is that fun? Then they added crap to the nether, and etc. Minecraft is just like any other video game now. It's amazing how it turned to one of the year's best into the biggest trainwrecks this year. Is Minecraft still a good game? Yes, yes it is. Do I still play it? If I'm bored, yes. Do I recommend this game? Yes, but 1.8+ ruined some of the best elements of the game. In 1.9, they added Villagers, them alone ruins the clever feeling of YOU being the last person on earth. Which is how I felt before they came out. 1.0.0 had a bug, where servers are down, saying there is an invalid server key. Thirst was "added" but there is no bar, it just helps prevent your hunger from going down. I forgot to mention expirence, which makes this sandbox game into a RPG. These updated also, take the fun out of Mineraft, they are taking a blocky "creep controled" land, too seriously. However, what was Minecraft is still there, and you will still enjoy this game and probably always will. Minecraft will always be itself in a unique way, and it is worth the cheap 20 dollar price tag. Mojang and Markus Persson have overall, done proud with Minecraft and they still continue to update it. However, I still look forward to see what they have planned for us in the future as they are very intelligent and I'm sure they will release a few witty updates. Although its no longer a sandbox game, Minecraft is still enoyable, and that is what videogames are all about. Expand
  25. Nov 29, 2012
    This game never called me, just when a friend told me to give it a try i checked it out. At the beginning i got addicted to it but after playing some hours i got bored. This game at the beginning is fun, finding your first diamond but . . . it ends soon. The good thing in this game are the constant updates and the mods made by players. I think the game is expensive for what it is. TheThis game never called me, just when a friend told me to give it a try i checked it out. At the beginning i got addicted to it but after playing some hours i got bored. This game at the beginning is fun, finding your first diamond but . . . it ends soon. The good thing in this game are the constant updates and the mods made by players. I think the game is expensive for what it is. The graphics suck ba***. The first thing i noticed is the horrible graphics that almost made my eyes suicide when i saw people actually playing this but overall is not a bad game, maybe with a little more of story and more development it could have been a great game, who knows? Expand
  26. Jul 27, 2014
    Holy god, I haven't played a game this good in quite a few years. I first played the game in March, and got hooked in June this year. I must say, this is a truly remarkable game, and I say it replaces New. Super Mario Bros WII. for the spot of 2nd best game of 2009, with Plants vs Zombies at 1st. Within the game, you can gather resources, slay animals/monsters, mine, craft, and mostHoly god, I haven't played a game this good in quite a few years. I first played the game in March, and got hooked in June this year. I must say, this is a truly remarkable game, and I say it replaces New. Super Mario Bros WII. for the spot of 2nd best game of 2009, with Plants vs Zombies at 1st. Within the game, you can gather resources, slay animals/monsters, mine, craft, and most importantly: BUILD. Also, if you find the game too easy or hard, just lower/raise the difficulty level, as there are many to choose from. Great game, and people who don't like it due to lack of SHREK are truly dumb. Expand
  27. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOSThe critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  28. Jun 4, 2012
    One of the most brilliant game ideas ever. The world is infinitely sized, and every small change you make to any small block in this world persists. Every structure you build, everything that is made. Put that on multiplayer and you literally have cities of creation. The underground is huge to explore, digging tunnels and discovering things is sick. The crafting system and incentive toOne of the most brilliant game ideas ever. The world is infinitely sized, and every small change you make to any small block in this world persists. Every structure you build, everything that is made. Put that on multiplayer and you literally have cities of creation. The underground is huge to explore, digging tunnels and discovering things is sick. The crafting system and incentive to find minerals add tons of longevity to the game, and goals. You must have a creative mind to grasp this game, there are no "quests", you are simply but into an infinite world to interact with it as you wish. People not finding entertainment in this just goes to show they have no imagination or creativity whatsoever and they are themselves unable to forge an epic experience from the never seen before sandbox that has been given to them. This game has blown my mind. The point lost is due to the unfortunate lack of quality in character control and mechanics and lack of polish in many areas of the game, had it been taken more seriously or made by a more professional team. Thirdly, the game could have run much faster if better coded. Expand
  29. Sep 12, 2014
    As much as I hate what Minecraft has done for the gaming industry,there is no reason why you shouldn't play it.Ive spent more hours then I can count on this game,and every time I think I'm free of its clutches,I feel the need to mine one more block
  30. Oct 18, 2013
    i admit that minecraft is a original game
    it has an original gameplay
    but what can i say?
    minecraft its no for me
    i guess its not enought fun for me
    i dont see the interesting
  31. Nov 30, 2011
    Originally, Minecraft didn't deserve the criticisms thrown at it. 'Lame graphics'-nah. There delightfully retro, and look great in this decidedly modern world. But, after the game FINALLY got out of beta, it's now been criticised of not fulfilling it's enourmous potential. I'd argue it's done a lot-massive, devoted community, multiple biomes, tons of blocks. This isn't the end of MinecraftOriginally, Minecraft didn't deserve the criticisms thrown at it. 'Lame graphics'-nah. There delightfully retro, and look great in this decidedly modern world. But, after the game FINALLY got out of beta, it's now been criticised of not fulfilling it's enourmous potential. I'd argue it's done a lot-massive, devoted community, multiple biomes, tons of blocks. This isn't the end of Minecraft though. It will continue to be updated. Improved. Refined. It rocks all kinds of awesome now, but in the future, it will be unstopable. Er, just don't hold your breath. Expand
  32. Jul 6, 2013
    This is the game that made indie gaming so popular it is really good while the graphics aren't realistic they are memorable and not dull but interesting the exploration is really encouraging and will keep you engaged the unlimited creativity is what makes this game excel. Then there are all the mods and texture packs.
    The Bad
    The multiplayer is hard to set up
    Java is slow
  33. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  34. Sep 24, 2011
    A hugely entertaining game that is as addictive as an illegal substance. The sandbox feel is what I enjoy the most; just the idea of being able to go anywhere, anytime and do anything you want once you arrive is a sense of freedom that goes so far as to possibly give GTA a run for its money. My only complaints are that if your computer is slow, the game is VERY laggy when you try to playA hugely entertaining game that is as addictive as an illegal substance. The sandbox feel is what I enjoy the most; just the idea of being able to go anywhere, anytime and do anything you want once you arrive is a sense of freedom that goes so far as to possibly give GTA a run for its money. My only complaints are that if your computer is slow, the game is VERY laggy when you try to play on maximum settings. Also, there is not a wide variety of tools and weapons and once you play for a little while, you will notice that most tools are just upgraded rather than being different (eg. a wooden pick-axe will upgrade to a stone pick-axe etc.). But apart from that, this unique take on the free roam genre is destined to become a classic. Expand
  35. Dec 31, 2011
    Hurrah! I have deleted my game rating account and am back to doing games on here. The first thing I would like to say is that Minecraft is a helluva fun time, for a while. Skyrim had the same problem: after hours of fun, it gets boring. I got it for free, so I am not complaining, but kudos to the guys who had to pay for it.
  36. Aug 14, 2012
    this game is near the top of my most hated games uv all time! its so stupid and its graphics suck so bad that my eyes threw up. its horrendous and it has terrible gameplay, and its stealing my favorite PC game's thunder, Spore! Spore FTW
  37. Jul 7, 2013
    While I do find the game to be extremely overrated, It is still a solid game. I have fun running about a endless world making anything I want in the creative mode. But I do not care for the adventure mode at all. But the game is also incredibly glitchy, but that is to be expected. I do recommend minecraft, but it is not as good as people say.
  38. Mar 14, 2012
    I fail to see what all the fuss is about, but I concede to the fact that Minecraft is very unique and enjoyable title that has made the market a more interesting place with its arrival. Should it be continued, expanded and promoted? Of course. Should it receive unworthy plaudits? No.
  39. Jul 20, 2014
    Arguably, Minecraft is the best video game of all time. The idea is so simple yet so brilliant. A 3D block-based game. in which you can survive, and build anything you could possibly imagine. I find it brilliant because it gives you a sense of accomplishment when you perform the most mundane of tasks, like when you smelt your first iron bar, all the way to defeating the Ender Dragon.Arguably, Minecraft is the best video game of all time. The idea is so simple yet so brilliant. A 3D block-based game. in which you can survive, and build anything you could possibly imagine. I find it brilliant because it gives you a sense of accomplishment when you perform the most mundane of tasks, like when you smelt your first iron bar, all the way to defeating the Ender Dragon. Obviously, the game is always better with friends, which gives you the option of making combat and adventure maps for you and your friends to enjoy. A lot of people say the game has gotten worse as updates have occurred, but I believe it has just increased the game's depth. Minecraft truly holds a place in my heart, simply for how undeniably spectacular it is. Expand
  40. Aug 17, 2012
    Minecraft's unique idea, makes a wonderful gameplay. Exploration, mining and killing monsters It's fun, bt the creative idea for building is amazing. And the crafting is logically created. The infinite world of Minecraft, lets you explore the unknown. Not only that, but the great idea for mechanics makes you trap some monsters. But, unfortunately, Minecraft doesn't have a tutorial (theMinecraft's unique idea, makes a wonderful gameplay. Exploration, mining and killing monsters It's fun, bt the creative idea for building is amazing. And the crafting is logically created. The infinite world of Minecraft, lets you explore the unknown. Not only that, but the great idea for mechanics makes you trap some monsters. But, unfortunately, Minecraft doesn't have a tutorial (the game, for someone, is hard to learn). 89 out of 100 Expand
  41. May 2, 2013
    I give it 8.
    Minecraft is a Sandbox game,whether you can play Survival mode,like the classic mode where beating mobs,make shelter,Mining Ore,or discover the unholy place of Mineshaft,Nether or even End World.Or you play Creative,where you are god,do everything,blow world to pieces,or build something cool to share your creativity :)
    Although i do not enjoy the Single-Player Mode,since it
    I give it 8.
    Although i do not enjoy the Single-Player Mode,since it kinda bored easily when you alone on the world,the multiplayer,shows how great this game was,it was like Life-Consumer xD
    The graphics through,its not really bad,but i think you can know the blocks easily,its charming textures that reminds how good the game graphic was.
    Thats all for my review,so my last verdict about the review is,Better play with friends and also,the game makes its better if the people show their creativity rather than none.
  42. Jun 27, 2012
    Minecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which bringsMinecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which brings lovers of all genres together in one experience. In fact, that's the best way to describe it. It's more of an experience than a game, and an experience which is different to each unique user.

As an aside, the User Score for this game genuinely brings shame on the Metacritic system and undermines the point of a user based aggregate score. Trolls, go back under your respective rocks.

9/10 - A gaming experience not to be missed.
  43. Jan 21, 2012
    This review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull butThis review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull but idc atleast it isnt trolling 0/10 Expand
  44. Dec 30, 2013
    Minecraft is one of the best if not the best game I have ever played. It has a vast world to explore and plenty of weird and interesting mobs (animals). Although it did get a tiny bit repetitive, Minecraft has me so addicted that I can't stop playing.
  45. Dec 21, 2011
    Minecraft is a very original game, which is very easy to learn but still has alot of depth when it comes to building. After playing it for a few hours however, you start to wonder why you should build anything. There is no real goal, and in singleplayer is gets boring very quickly. Instead of building useless world in minecraft you could just aswell build a real map for some game (TF2 forMinecraft is a very original game, which is very easy to learn but still has alot of depth when it comes to building. After playing it for a few hours however, you start to wonder why you should build anything. There is no real goal, and in singleplayer is gets boring very quickly. Instead of building useless world in minecraft you could just aswell build a real map for some game (TF2 for example) and upload it. When it comes to multiplayer minecraft becomes much better since you constantly show your progress to others, but it still feels as a major waste of time. Expand
  46. Dec 21, 2014
    The Reason Why I give Minecraft a solid 10 is because i love creating or making houses and other stuff.Minecraft gets better whenever you go to multiplayer mode playing with you friends making dumb stuff and playing other Mod.Minecraft is certainly great for those people who love making or creating stuff.This shows of how creative you are! But In night time go to sleep don't go out causeThe Reason Why I give Minecraft a solid 10 is because i love creating or making houses and other stuff.Minecraft gets better whenever you go to multiplayer mode playing with you friends making dumb stuff and playing other Mod.Minecraft is certainly great for those people who love making or creating stuff.This shows of how creative you are! But In night time go to sleep don't go out cause you surely need some armor and a sword or any weapons cause night time brings out unrealistic versions of different monsters!! Expand
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    Minecraft is the best game I have played in years! Having just taken out a 6 month sub playing Rift (which Iâ
  48. Sep 7, 2011
    The 2nd Best Indie Game EVAR!!!!!
    The 2nd Best Indie Game EVAR!!!!!
    Apart from the fact that sometimes it's hard to come up wih something to do, so a bit too free for all, this game is the best 3d indie game, like a 3d (WHYDOESHEKEEPSAYINGTHREEDEE???!!!) 8 bit game. At night monsters come out and try to KILL YOU OF DEATH and the whole game is an amazing experience. Because there is no point of the game (that sounded... negative) there is no actual replay value, which means the game is infinite!!!! (Once I craft everything that's what I call completion...)
    Anyways:

+ Me likes graphics
    + It goes on forever
    +Mods, texture packs and more
    + Only in Beta: Imagine in November when the game is released... HEAVEN
    - Sometimes confusing...

95%
  49. May 31, 2014
    Good things: insane modability provides a great amount of content, multiplayer on MMO-scale on some servers, total creative freedom, entire worlds to explore and conquer with friends/enemies
    Bad things: It does get stale after a long time of playing it, the combat system sucks

If you buy it check out multiplayer, this is what pumps up the score, survival is only a small part of this delicious cake.
  50. Jan 27, 2014
    I know, I know, I am incredibly late on this one. I've played Minecraft for years now, and it is not only a game that revolutionized the Gaming Industry and especially the Indie industry. It is one of the most addictive, rewarding experiences you will ever play.
    If you haven't play Minecraft, what the hell are you waiting for? And trust me, the PC version is the one you want. First, almost every computer in the world runs it, you don't need a megalodon with high-tech specs to run the game. Second, don't **** about graphics. Minecraft is a beautiful game. It's blocky art stile is charming, and seeing a sunset for the first time with the eclectic piano music behind is just mesmerizingly beautiful.
    The objective in Minecraft is to survive. Or at least it is in "Survival" mode. As you progress through the game, you will progress in things like building a house, hunting monsters or going to hell. Everything can be for nothing in a blink of an eye (When you are dead, YOU ARE dead). You must orientate yourself in the random generated world, find shelter and food, and protect yourself from the creatures of the night. At moments it is thrilling, at moments scary, at moments funny. You never know what is going to happen in a typical Minecraft day.
    Then you have "Creative" mode. In this mode, you can do whatever you want with the blocks you want. Build a giant diamond mansion, and why not shape it like a yatch? How about farming zombies? The limit is literally your imagination.
    Minecraft also offers a multiplayer service. You can either play with friends or join a server to play something with the community. Want to play Hunger Games, Block Hunt and many other games with people from all around the world? Then the multiplayer experience is perfect for you. The variety of things to do and see is amazing.
    Minecraft is easily one of the jewels of this generation and of gaming history. It isn't ambitious and still, it feels like the biggest-scaled game ever made. It is always updating, expanding to keep things fresh, and it truly is the Indie Game that revolutionized the industry.
  51. Nov 2, 2014
    the pc verison of minecraft isn't bad its just the confusing controls and downgraded graphics compared to the console verisons its still a bit good its just harder to play on a keyboard than a controller
  52. Sep 3, 2014
    Minecraft seems hard to get used to in the first place since there's no tutorial, but when you know what to do to survive in the wild, the game becomes an unforgettable experience which encourage you to do whatever you like, especially when your imagination's big!
  53. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok believe me in this I have been playing this game since ... September of 2010 I LOVED IT so much i still like it a lot BUT after the whole release of it idk I just dont feel the same if I had to vote on this game a year ago it would of been a 9.5 not it is a 7 because I think since notch left as lead just doesn't feel cool to keep up with.
  54. May 9, 2013
    I don't understand the negativity towards this game. This may be the most inclusive game I have ever seen. There is something for everyone. If you like surviving in the wild, there is the survival game mode. If you like building, there is creative mode. If you like building complicated machines and working with wiring, there are modpacks such as Tekkit and Voltz. If you like PvP, there areI don't understand the negativity towards this game. This may be the most inclusive game I have ever seen. There is something for everyone. If you like surviving in the wild, there is the survival game mode. If you like building, there is creative mode. If you like building complicated machines and working with wiring, there are modpacks such as Tekkit and Voltz. If you like PvP, there are hundreds of Hunger Games servers, Search and Destroy servers, etc. If you like playing Call of Duty or Battlefield, there are servers for that as well. There are maps made for RPG play too. Anything you want to do in Minecraft, you can, so go buy this game as it is much less expensive than most other games. Expand
  55. Feb 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a far too addictive game especially online.

You can build everything and everything from Hogwarts School to whole Kingdoms if you wished and the best part is that its available for download meaning you HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT NOW!
  56. Mar 5, 2014
    Minecraft is THE open world game! It promotes your creative side. But it gets booring after awhile and the enemies are irritating (fortunately you can switch off all enemies, if you want). Dying is also annoying...
  57. Jul 29, 2014
    Why does this only have a user score of 7.4??? This is a very fun game with loads of replay value. As for the graphics, they are unique and memorable (AND SUPPOSED TO RESEMBLE 16-BIT YOU IDIOTS THAT IS THE POINT). The combat is very basic but that is not what this game is about. It is about creativity. End of story.
  58. Nov 29, 2011
    An amazing gem inside a hard rock of game breaking bugs, lazy developers, masked by a disgusting coding language that fails to handle the game for what it is. All the community needs to wait for is the promised modding support so we can fix this mess ourselves. 2 Years of development, 6 months worth of features.
  59. Nov 26, 2010
    It's PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The environment is creative and the building and mining is interactive and addictive.
  60. Mar 13, 2011
    Positive - The grphics are the best of 2009-2011.
    The controls are fluent
    The monsters are cool. And building is fun. Gripes - Combat is too unforgigivng The camera is a little **** And Multiplayer is too glitchy. So it basically has the Silent Hill Problem. Terrible gameplay being made up for by Scary-ness and brilliant atmosphere. And hey! To get your account premium it's only $24. Go
    Positive - The grphics are the best of 2009-2011.
    The controls are fluent
    The monsters are cool.
    And building is fun.

Gripes - Combat is too unforgigivng
    The camera is a little ****
    And Multiplayer is too glitchy.

And hey! To get your account premium it's only $24. Go Go Go! (At least compared to other games at over $60)
  61. Jul 21, 2014
    Minecraft is a great sandbox survival game in single player mode and one of the best multiplayer experiences ever which can be modded to enhance its greatness enough said, buy it now
  62. Mar 28, 2012
    This game is hugely overrated, grows boring after a quick play, and I know the graphics are intended to look bad, but its just ugly to play. The mechanics are boring and overly repetitive, and is not worth the 20 dollars it costs. Do not buy this game, go with Terraria or Garry's Mod, which are both excellent sandbox games. Minecraft however, isn't, so don't buy it!
  63. Aug 14, 2012
    I avoided this game for the longest time because it was not available on Steam. After some reviews and seeing others talk and play it, I had to try it out. I was not disappointed. The building, exploring, solving problems, and making neat/weird contraptions is a lot of fun. I spend countless hours running around, getting killed by mobs and frustratingly searching for resources to make coolI avoided this game for the longest time because it was not available on Steam. After some reviews and seeing others talk and play it, I had to try it out. I was not disappointed. The building, exploring, solving problems, and making neat/weird contraptions is a lot of fun. I spend countless hours running around, getting killed by mobs and frustratingly searching for resources to make cool stuff such as diamond and gold. The community is huge, and seems there is almost a cult of personality around the developer. I have not interacted much with this community, but may at some point. Putting all of that aside, one gets to the downsides. Graphics are not the best (perhaps that is intentional), the music is horrific, and I encounter bugs such as re-spawning in a weird place. If you are into explosive action, sex, neat cutscenes, and all the rest of it, do not bother with this game - it will bore you to tears. Otherwise, if you want something different, laid back and fun, give this a go. Expand
  64. Dec 13, 2011
    This game is the best game for computer it is awesome !!!!!! I play it all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is totallty worth playing!!!!!!
  65. Jul 31, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it.When I first started playing Minecraft back in the Beta, I didn't like it. I didn't understand what you had to do first, and I wasn't impressed at all by the gameplay. After a while, when I learned the game, I started to like it more. I knew how to survive the first night, and how to craft things. I really got into the game and I was addicted to it. But after some years I got bored by it. I installed many mods because the alpha was just too boring with lack of content. Because of all the updates Minecraft got, I just didn't saw much improvement and most of the popular mods didn't got updated anymore. Also installing them became harder. I gave up on Minecraft, just because it's lack of weapons and armor, unoriginal enemys besides the creeper... It's boring. If Mojang just could add many things from the popular mods, it would be so much better. Expand
  66. Nov 23, 2011
    amazing game, you should already know about it. not without its flaws, but probably the best building game i've played in YEARS. or maybe since legos.
  67. Feb 27, 2012
    Honestly, the user reviewers can be some of the most annoying people I've ever seen. Half of them are members of a fanbase who are angry because of one trivial thing the developers did. The only reason why this game doesn't bear the 10.0 user score it so rightfully deserves is because a bunch of fans got upset with some decision Notch made or something and so they spammed negative scores.Honestly, the user reviewers can be some of the most annoying people I've ever seen. Half of them are members of a fanbase who are angry because of one trivial thing the developers did. The only reason why this game doesn't bear the 10.0 user score it so rightfully deserves is because a bunch of fans got upset with some decision Notch made or something and so they spammed negative scores. It's bad enough that Spore, a great game, has a 4.6 user rating because people were upset that they didn't get the 2005 Spore. That being said, Minecraft is probably one of the most intuitive ideas for a game that I've seen in a long while. It's a good example of how a huge idea can derive from a simple concept. This is true art at its very finest. Expand
  68. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I had a lot of fun with Minecraft, and lost several hours of my life...

The sandbox experience is really great, and the blocky world has a charm to it, and is really nicely done. Yes, I am applauding the graphics. People think every **** game should have Crysis-like graphics, gee... But, moving on... The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is

The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is that... Well, it gets boring kinda fast. I mean, 1 week after you start a game and you play it like crazy, but then you're just bored, and you don't really wanna start a new game.

The mods are awesome and the multiplayer is really nice, but it's not MY kind of multiplayer, so I give it a miss.

But what annoys me is that all the internet is FULL of Minecraft, everywhere. And this turns me off. There's a gazillion videos on Youtube of Minecraft, with kids screaming everywhere... and yes, this lowered the score for me. I know, if it is so popular, it means it's a sucessful game. And I'm not trying to be a hipster. But the community of the game ruined some of its charm for me.

But, still, it's a very nice game, and I'm glad I played something like 20 hours of it.
  69. Sep 30, 2013
    This game is a fun experience. The single player is pretty fun, with a immense world to explore and millions of blocks to build to your hearts extent. The final boss, the Ender Dragon, is very easy, though Minecraft is mostly for the creative aspect. This game really hits its mark when it comes to the online community. Thousands of servers are populated to play hundreds of mini-gamesThis game is a fun experience. The single player is pretty fun, with a immense world to explore and millions of blocks to build to your hearts extent. The final boss, the Ender Dragon, is very easy, though Minecraft is mostly for the creative aspect. This game really hits its mark when it comes to the online community. Thousands of servers are populated to play hundreds of mini-games in Minecraft, with more games being created all the time. The mods expand the single player and multiplayer survival to unthinkable lengths. Mods add so many things to the game, such as blocks, enemies, and even quests. The possibilities with this game are great, and is really a game for everyone. Expand
  70. Apr 29, 2011
    To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought.To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought. Building an awesome house. Go out and fight the mosters. Tame a Wolf to be you pet. I'm always finding these underground waterfalls and lavafalls. You get the sense that you're going where no-one else has gone before. Bugs and Glitches: This is an indie game that is massive. Ok. Some bugs are major and they suck. Moving on! This game is overwhelming if you don't know what to do. Use the Minecraft Wiki to help. Build a house and go out mining and exploring. Build a massive minecart track. Sometimes, a nice little tune would play to ease you up a bit in tough situations. Bottom line: It's a triumph of Indie gaming. It's up there with the games that started out small and turned huge like the classic Donkey Kong, World of Goo, Braid and many others. A modern classic, hands down. I'd like to give it a 9.5, but I can't... Expand
  71. Nov 23, 2011
    Best game ever created... bad graphics? WHO CARES? the gameplay possibilities are almost infinites! Awesome.... thanks notch ... keep up the good work :)
  72. Jan 9, 2012
    Good for spendind a short time playing a video game when you're out of options. Not that fun to play the whole day during months like other games, but it is enjoyable. Playing alone is bad, but in a multiplayer server with the friend it's nice.
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    Very hard to talk about as a game, which may be the 9/10. But I have put tons of hours into this and watched it evolve from alpha, to beta, to release and get better and better. A lot of fun if you like building stuff, if you are a MW3 fan, then you might want to stay away.
  74. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is more than a game, it will suck in your life and force you to become one of the square people, you will start to relate everything in real life to stuff in minecraft, some people are saying this game is bad because "its a game where you move around blocks, its digital legos" Well guess what folks, you can choose between creative mode or survival mode! so its more aboutThis game is more than a game, it will suck in your life and force you to become one of the square people, you will start to relate everything in real life to stuff in minecraft, some people are saying this game is bad because "its a game where you move around blocks, its digital legos" Well guess what folks, you can choose between creative mode or survival mode! so its more about surviving than building, not to mention the huge amount of servers that all have their own cool game modes, another complaint is : "there is no goal!" Yes there is, you can build a portal to the final boss called "the ender dragon" so THERE is a goal, I could also say that guess what : ITS A SANDBOX GAME, IF YOU DONT LIKE SANDBOX GAMES, then dont play minecraft, yes, after you have done everything it CAN get boring and you wish you could get that feeling of discovery whenever you craft a new thing out of blocks, but its a rather cheap game in comparison to other titles, also, one may say that terraria is better than minecraft, I would debate that they are incomparable because terraria has ALOT of unbalanced garbage in it, but everything in minecraft has a purpose and is balanced to a very good extent. Such as melons being easier to farm but wheat can be used to get your more animals (etc) or stone pick axes are better at mining huge areas than iron pick axes but iron picks pick faster, etc. The people who are voting this game down dont like sandbox games and cant see beyond their own gameplay perspectives, Geoffory2 says "this game is repetitive and boring" well its an opinion. You cant state opinion without evidence. Dont forget that this game is very unique in comparison to other titles, seriously, give this game a shot because its a master piece. (but only if you like sandbox games) if you dont like sandbox games then dont buy it, its as simple as that. Some people are marking this game down for the modding community working faster than Notch (the game creator) WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH MODS? MORE CONTENT FOR YOU.Some say "OMG THE GRAPHICS SUCK, THIS GAME IS SO GAY" well guess what, those people are COD aid infected idiots, because minecraft was not meant to be a very graphical game, graphics are extra credit really, nothing more. Also, it does NOT perform terribly if you simply dont set everything on highest settings, yes folks the rules still apply because JAVA is a REALLY REALLY BAD ENGINE.
    If there are any problems with this game, its that notch worked so slowly to get everything right before it was released, but that does not matter now!
  75. Mar 17, 2012
    Simply put a lot of fun. I never gave this game a try until a year after it was first announced. The idea never seemed to intrigue me. A friend than asked me to play with him. Next hing i know, i had no job and my social life had deteriorated. I built an entire city with a friend, with sky bridges and castles, and a mining underground reaching the lowest depths of the game. I builtSimply put a lot of fun. I never gave this game a try until a year after it was first announced. The idea never seemed to intrigue me. A friend than asked me to play with him. Next hing i know, i had no job and my social life had deteriorated. I built an entire city with a friend, with sky bridges and castles, and a mining underground reaching the lowest depths of the game. I built armor, i had a water elevator and everything. This is the ultimate co op game and if you have a party it is even better. Expand
  76. Nov 17, 2011
    The game used to be a lot more entertaining back then, when it wasn't too popular. I remember when me, my brother and a couple friends played it. We were like totally addicted, but now it has just lost it's meaning. It's another game among many others, there's no signs of unique. It just reminds me of another zombie survival game. Repetitive and boring.
  77. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  78. Jul 30, 2011
    Simply the best virtual Lego simulator out there complete with monster pieces and crafting recipes! The best deal/hours played ratio that I could ever imagine...
  79. May 10, 2012
    I purchased Minecraft when it was in Alpha for about 5-8$. It was an excellent game and is an example of how independent developers, through innovation can make excellent games but I was disappointed with the games actual release. Bugs, Issues, lack of content, Price..etc

Despite this, this game is revolutionary, showing us that graphics are not that important(imagination ftw) and that it's GAMEPLAY that matters. *Play with Friends for best experience
  80. Sep 25, 2014
    A well crafted indie game. It's really addicting and fun and even if you get bored of survival mode there are like a billion servers out there with different game modes and stuff. Its a lot of fun and if you don't have it already get it, its worth it.
  81. Dec 12, 2011
    A very fun game at Beta when Notch was developing it. Went downhill fast after 1.0 (full release version). Put it this way, the game was worth it in BETA, not so much in it's current state. The Full Retail seems rushed and not complete.

BETA - The Beta was fun, building large complex structures is great, especially in Multiplayer. Singleplayer gets old real fast, unless you're into building stuff out of the world stuff like a 1 to 1 scale of Middle Earth and have no life.

Full Retail - Like I mentioned, feels very rushed and incomplete. While the Beta was fun and full of anticipation, the Full Retail adds little while adding what seems to be 'a lot' on the surface. In other words, inconsistent.

Here's hoping that Notch will continue supporting the game, because the Retail version isn't the minecraft I enjoyed in Beta.
  82. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of aMinecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  83. Nov 24, 2011
    I was introduced to this game back in December '10, and it was explained to me as a "never ending world made of cubic meter cubes where you can build to survive attacks from creatures and excavate to upgrade tools." I nearly s*** my pants when I heard this because I've been looking for a game that had vast terraforming capabilities ever since I played Red Faction (the first one) where youI was introduced to this game back in December '10, and it was explained to me as a "never ending world made of cubic meter cubes where you can build to survive attacks from creatures and excavate to upgrade tools." I nearly s*** my pants when I heard this because I've been looking for a game that had vast terraforming capabilities ever since I played Red Faction (the first one) where you could make your own tunnel with rocket launchers. I bought the game, started it up, looked at the graphics and was disappointed, but my friend told me "just give it a try, it'll grow on you." I've been playing 11 months since then (off and on). The saving grace to this game is the modding community, without it I would be bored to death, but since the developers programmed in functionality to be modded (with a simple programming language, mind you) I am including the online community while rating this game. I host my own server, my friends join with me, and we have an RP world made with mods, and a Survival world made legit. That's the fascinating thing about this game, is that it is made to be a single player survival game, but unintentionally has practically turned into an MMO with all of the online modding capabilities. Idk if it's fair or not, but i docked a point for the speed of Majang's work, I've been in beta for 11 months and haven't seen much added. Sure there's a big list of core changes to the game in the last year, but month-to-month it's actually not that much. Keep in mind that I am rating this as an indie game, as if this were a fully financed corporate project then I would rate this a 6, due to lack of content, but for a small team of developers, the fair price (comparative to a typical game), and the online community, this is definitely deserving of at least a 9. Expand
  84. Dec 3, 2011
    I love Minecraft, but the fact that Mojang released the game unfinished it's not acceptable. The NPCs do nothing, the Adventure Mode is unfinished, and there's a list of bugs that haven't been corrected. This game is awesome, but is uncompleted yet. Come on Mojang, you can correct all the bugs and make this game one of the best games of History!
  85. Dec 23, 2011
    Scores of 100? Really? ---- I am new to Minecraft and never event gave it a fleeting look before its full release. I picked it up a few days after release just to see what all the fuss was about.................... Well, I appreciate that I have effectively missed the preverbial boat with this game, and there are a lot of people about that have played it do death during it's somewhatScores of 100? Really? ---- I am new to Minecraft and never event gave it a fleeting look before its full release. I picked it up a few days after release just to see what all the fuss was about.................... Well, I appreciate that I have effectively missed the preverbial boat with this game, and there are a lot of people about that have played it do death during it's somewhat lengthy beta cycle to the point that they've given up on the game either before it ended or just as 1.0 came out................. So, what is all the fuss about? Well, it's beyond me. Whilst I have spent quite a few hours in the game, I tend only to bother with it whislt I'm watching football on SkyGO in a window, or now, more recently, whilst i'm sitting in a 40 minute queue waiting to get in to play SWTOR. I have, when I first got it ploughed numerous hours into a world, but I cannot for the life of me find any kind of motivation to keep on playing as I'm almost certain I've seen pretty much everything it has to offer....... I bought a cheap rental server to see if some of my friends wanted to join, but it really isn't holding anyone's interest. Mojang's website have mentioned something about new game modes coming soon, but from what I can read into things, Minecraft, now released is now as good as being declared a finished project for the developer............. A way to pass an hour or two if needed, just like Tetris was in the 90's and the Rubik's Cube was in the 80's. A fad, slightly innivative, but ultimately flawed with no insiprational outlook. 7/10 Expand
  86. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  87. Nov 4, 2014
    Objectively the game has always been bad. But it was still lots fun! Nowadays however, the game has gotten a lot worse and ISN'T EVEN FUN. The hunger system makes Survival Mode a chore to play. Your character starves before you even find a place to build. Want to build? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to explore? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to go spelunking? Nope, gotta find foodObjectively the game has always been bad. But it was still lots fun! Nowadays however, the game has gotten a lot worse and ISN'T EVEN FUN. The hunger system makes Survival Mode a chore to play. Your character starves before you even find a place to build. Want to build? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to explore? Nope, gotta find food first. Want to go spelunking? Nope, gotta find food first.
    The world generation is terrible. Back in Alpha & Beta, each world had it's own twists that made them all unique and interesting. But now, all worlds are almost exactly the same. I'm not even exaggerating. Also the color schemes in some biomes are terrible. WHY IS THE GRASS BLUEISH IN THE MOUNTAIN BIOME?!
    The sound design has gotten cringe worthy. It used to be nice to listen to, and cheesy in a good way. But now the sounds are unfittingly realistic(?) or cheesy in a bad way. NO ONE ASKED FOR REALISTIC SOUND DESIGN FOR MINECRAAFT. IT IS COMPLETELY UNFITTING TO THE GAMES STYLE. As for the sounds that are cheesy in a bad way: Who's idea was it to make the villagers sound like depressed chickens that have a cold?
    The game goes in too many different directions. It has sandbox themes, it has cartoony themes, it has adventure themes, it has survival themes, it has mythical themes. None of these coincide with eachother. It feels like a bunch of community mods were thrown together in one big package. Actually a bunch of the stuff they've added are in fact rip-offs of community mods.
    I haven't even mentioned all the bugs yet. The Alpha & Beta versions of the game were more playable than the current version.
    The game isn't optimized. Like at all. Despite the fact that it looks like it's from 1990, despite the fact that there is nothing that should be remotely hardware intensive in the game, it still runs horribly. Even if you have a perfectly up to date PC, you will still experience random FPS drops.
  88. Apr 16, 2012
    Minecraft has a unique visual style and gameplay premise - you can do whatever you want to survive and/or create things that emulate your personality. In the core singleplayer mode you are dropped into a randomly generated infinite world. You can be what you want - be it warrior, archer or forager - but the night brings horrors in the form of monsters. This is a great start but it alsoMinecraft has a unique visual style and gameplay premise - you can do whatever you want to survive and/or create things that emulate your personality. In the core singleplayer mode you are dropped into a randomly generated infinite world. You can be what you want - be it warrior, archer or forager - but the night brings horrors in the form of monsters. This is a great start but it also confuses you and there is nothing to tell you what to do.
    Multiplayer is amazing with a group of friends. The creations and ideas that can be produced are all astounding. But, however, the confusion and the fact that there will be nothing to do sometime into your adventure creates negative points that cannot be ignored.
  89. May 9, 2013
    The game is fun but the textures are simplistic and blocky but its infinite replayability might get tiresome if you play it for hours and hours, And there are still bugs here and there.
  90. Jul 7, 2014
    A frightening good example on just how popular something simple can get. Minecraft has laid out the groundwork for the booming indie industry we know today but unfortunately, It haven't really aged as well as I hope it would have.

Mods are being produced a hundredfold times faster than the actual standard game, be it the automated industry mining mod or the dozens of graphic mods that causes a game consisting of huge clunky squares look like Crysis, the developers themselves seem to keep falling more and more behind as the producer (Notch) distances himself more and more from the title as the community continues to have an far-above majority population consisting of little, impulsive school children.
  91. Feb 10, 2012
    For creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth theFor creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth the purchase price (I also can't understand why there is so much user hate...the game is half the price of the usual crap that's sold today) Expand
  92. Nov 23, 2010
    when people ask me what is minecraft, i reply "its a game where you mine and craft"
    well. all i can say is iff a game has sold over 600,000 units, and is currently in Alpha and is currently FREE then this proves that minecraft is one of the best, most creative games you will play in a long time. a downside, (which isnt really a downside) is that it is addictive. really really addictive. one you start playing, you will not stop, either by creating new stuff or by perfecting existing creations
  93. Jan 13, 2013
    After playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see aAfter playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see a point in continuing to try to change the game anymore than they already have, there is not much more they can add to improve the games mechanics and features at all. I enjoyed the days where minecraft was a game where you were not forced to eat almost all the time. Now they are making it more "realistic", which I can see makes the game more challenging. Realism also attracts more people to play the game. I am really tongue tied on this one, and I really don't have a clue what I want to say about this game anymore. It went from being excellent, to now it's starting to get boring. They need to improve it for the better instead of the worse, and they need to do it quick before they lose a lot of fans, and players. When I got a new computer, I had intentions of having a good time playing it. The worse had already happened though, it changed. I am going to give this a score that I just need to give, and I recommend giving it a try, but don't expect too much from what used to be the original minecraft. Expand
  94. Nov 4, 2013
    Minecraft is one of the most revolutionary games out there. The open worlds are AMAZING. There is so much to do now with 1.7 just came out. It is so worth the cash. Go get it now.
  95. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  96. Nov 27, 2012
    It's really hard to review a game like Minecraft because Minecraft is a game of what you make of it. The only limits in this game are the limits of your own imagination. Graphically, in Vanillia, it's hard to rate. The simple blocky graphics are charming and endearing to some (myself included) whereas super ugly to others. But if you find the vanillia graphics ugly, download andIt's really hard to review a game like Minecraft because Minecraft is a game of what you make of it. The only limits in this game are the limits of your own imagination. Graphically, in Vanillia, it's hard to rate. The simple blocky graphics are charming and endearing to some (myself included) whereas super ugly to others. But if you find the vanillia graphics ugly, download and install one of the plethora of user made texture packs. I guess it is easy to criticize the simple combat mechanices, but again, this game is what you make of it. Most Minecraft hardcores don't play the game to have a fight, we play the game to build and socialize (if playing on a server). Any review is going to be 100% biased based on the users personal experience with the game. What I'm trying to get across is don't listen to any of these reviews. If you're interested, buy the game and play it for yourself, and create your own experience. This game is a breath of fresh air in today's gaming industry, and I can wholeheartedly recommend that you at least give it a try. Expand
  97. Nov 16, 2013
    This game gives to you total freedom: Play as you like, do the "job" finishing the game, or simply explore the world building big and strange houses! You'll love it, if you loved Lego years ago. It's an enormous and very fun sandbox game, that represents the top of Indie Games. VIRTUALINN.IT
  98. Oct 13, 2014
    This game used to be good back when Notch was in charge, but now it has gone over the cliff. A fun game single-player, but often repetitive and boring as all hell.
    5/10 - Ben Hazelden
  99. Nov 23, 2011
    I change my opinion about Minecraft. Back when it was 1.6 or 1.7 it was hard to find lots of cool things to do when you built a awesome house, had diamond weapons and armor, etc. Now, at the full release, we have leveling up, hunger, creative mode, hardcore mode, and so many other new features to keep you glued in your seat.
  100. Nov 26, 2011
    The games brilliance is with the possibilities. The random worlds are wonderful and beautifully generated, but the creatures are un-balanced, bland and lack soul. Creative mode provides an outlet for art or good slapstick humor. Survival mode feels incomplete, lacking content and balance, but provides a very open ended area for adventure and exploration. Minecraft is the brain, but theThe games brilliance is with the possibilities. The random worlds are wonderful and beautifully generated, but the creatures are un-balanced, bland and lack soul. Creative mode provides an outlet for art or good slapstick humor. Survival mode feels incomplete, lacking content and balance, but provides a very open ended area for adventure and exploration. Minecraft is the brain, but the user created mods and support is the heart and soul. Collapse

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]