7.5

1. Dec 30, 2011
    The critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOSThe critic ratings are too overrated despite the usage of decent graphics using javascript. This is a game I would afford to play in 2000 as a free indie game with unlimited possibilities of creating all kinds of stuff, but just not in this time when all Internet games use updated graphics with flash and java combined and they wind up better looking. Overall this game looks more like a DOS game back in the old PC days. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    First I'd like to respond to people claiming I haven't played the game. I have (and continue) to spend 4+ hours a day in this game, and I've hosted a semi-popular for nearly 8 months now.

Now, minecraft is a revolutionary and fun game, and you will be amazed at how long you can keep on playing something as simple as this. If you get bored, you find a server with a different set of rules and plugins, and you get a completely new game in doing so. Minecraft has such great potential in so many ways, it's possible to make MMORPG-like servers, competetitive pvp servers, and everything in between.

The problem is, that mojang has decided to spend most of their time on other projects, and adding new features to minecraft. Why is this bad? Because they've released a non-working incredibly glitchy game, and yet they've decided to spend time on either making completely unrelated games, or making it more glitchy by adding more features.

Anybody who wants mojang to add more features is downright stupid, mojang will never be able to satisfy every persons need, it's an impossible task. The fact that so many kids want them to take on the task (and more incredibly that they have taken on the task) is just unbelievable considering the owner is supposedly a member of mensa.

Mojang have supplied us with the base, let the modders take over from here. The only feature they need to add now is some sort of clientside mod API, like spoutcraft but without the need for each player to install it. After this, fix bugs, make the game run as smooth as possible, but do not add anymore features.

FIXING BUGS > ADDING USELESS FEATURES
  3. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is absolute rubbish. The combat is mindlessly simple spamming of mouse 1 and the enemies pathing and AI is a joke. The building and mining is incredibly boring. The "exploration" is an absolute waste of time. The entire game is the same thing with slightly different textures. What a waste of money.
  4. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  5. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  6. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game overMinecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  8. Sep 17, 2011
    This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game
  9. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  10. Jul 3, 2012
    this game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a muchthis game is intriguing but fall flat for several reasons. One of these being the limited customization of your character. Your are limited to 4 armor sets ARE YOU JOKING. and don't give me this bullcrap that they are indie producers if you can't produce DON'T MAKE YOUR GAME! The graphics and music do nothing for me. if I want to play a sandbox survival game I will play TERRARIA a much better game. The only thing this game is good at is it's replay ability witch rates very high for me. You will spend thousands of hours messing around with the crafting table and the various items you can create. Graphics: 4
    Sound: 5
    Game mechanics: 6
    Replay ability: 9
    Intelligence: 2 Bugs: 5
  11. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  12. Nov 21, 2011
    Sorry dont see whats the hypes about. tried it for a few days but could not get passed the dos graphics. Play Skyrim instead. you can also explore, mine, etc etc.....what is that i hear - it wont run on your pc oh shame....
  13. Jun 27, 2013
    Minecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of aMinecraft has inspired many good even great games from the indie community, certainly including Terraria (which was actually a game). However, if we're going to judge this as a creative toy rather than a game, well there are many far-superior games which come with extremely powerful world-editors, unit-editors, etc. So why are you guys building a replica of the Enterprise instead of a great new WC3 or SC2 custom map, or new animations, characters, or UIs? Maybe you want to create flying dragons for Skyrim, or just new music? There're a ton of moddable games out there people want to play in, but not necessarily create for, and it's generally pretty simple to mod games, even when script editors are involved. Particularly for Blizz games (and I haven't touched SC2 modding due to Activision/Blizz rules, on top of their DRM), the modding tools are powerful enough to allow you to create whatever kind of game you want, faster, simpler, prettier, and just more fun than possible to do in modding MC. For music, use something like Fruitloops why limit yourself to the extremely simple, and unwieldy tools in Minecraft? To that extent, I just don't get it and as a game alone, Minecraft just doesn't have much content. If I thought there were going to be massive monthly updates like we see in games like Don't Starve, I'd stick around but Minecraft's just too barren this late in. It was all hype, and it showed a ton of promise (mostly because it was actually being developed), and then.... it pretty much stayed the same.

It's difficult to really score this, though. Objectively, especially. I mean even though the base game is more-or-less unsupported at this point, the modders are still going full-steam and dramatically increasing the usability, flexibility, and enjoy-ability of the game. It's just a bad game (which was very promising) without good tools to help the modders out. So... I give the base-game alone 2/10, but 4/10 considering the current mods.
  14. Nov 23, 2011
    Bad.. Pointless.. Waste of time.. Terrible Graphics.. Terrible Performance.. infact, not 1 redeeming feature. A game for douches who enjoy playing "hip" "indy" games just for the sake of it to fit in with their douchey gamer friends. How can they even charge people to play this rubbish? It is complete and utter turd.
  15. Jun 10, 2012
    When I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will getWhen I started playing this game it was fun for a little but then I noticed so many flaws i mean whats the point of having a sword when there is absoulutly no point of killing an enemy i mean that there is no strategy when killing them u just hit them and hope you dont die. This game will also get boring as F u c k when you realize your just getting stone and building **** that will get exploded. I cant belive that this game cost money i mean if you watch gameplay you would think that its free from its ****ty graphics but no they want you to pay 10 bucks for it. If your going to buy this game just save the 10 bucks for a real game or buy Terria or however you spell it. Expand
  16. Jan 24, 2012
    I must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, theI must say, I gave up on the game after the wolf patch came out. And looking through the version history, the updates are freaking USELESS. So few bug fixes, mods still break the game half the time, STILL no good new content. All I see now is new textures and a few new mobs. The modders have made minecraft into a great game and yet Mojang don't take advantage of that. As it is now, the game itself is 4 hour, mediocre, half broken game, not worth your money. With mods, it would be a 75, but without, it's a 2. Mojang and Notch need to wake the **** up. The game is apparently released, yet it still is, in all honesty, a beta, if not an alpha version. Expand
  17. May 16, 2012
    Ok, actually this game is bad. I starts funny, ok. But then.... later on it's just very, very boring. Ok, it's cheap. But this is the only good point at that game. Don't buy.
  18. Aug 28, 2011
    Mineboring brings a game with a decent concept, The world where you start seems decent at the first impression, you can walk around an explore the world with your person, make your own house and start collect things to upgrade your tools or to make new structures.
    After you played a while this game gets bored, The game seems uglier then your first impression and there is nothing else to do then the same things that you already did for hours.... so you go play online...

When trying to play online and find a good server this game is lacking, It has no serverlist except on the forums, this is not good since many kids play this game, and want to play it online, it is really hard to find a good server that is working properly.

Overall a decent Game but gets bored after a time, online play is way more fun but hard to find a good server.
  19. Feb 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft was really fun at first and it wasnt fun at all you know minecraft sucks so badly i dont know why ok you suck at minecraft i suck at it MINECRAFT IS A VERY BAD GAME **** MOJANG Expand
  20. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  21. Apr 18, 2012
    Was EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they addedWas EXTREMELY FUN at first, but the updates are terrible. They said they would make combat better, they didn't. They said they would make it more "adventurous" with an "adventure update", they didn't. What they did was make small village things with these creatures that do nothing, and I mean NOTHING. I wasn't too bugged by this though. The hunger is just an annoyance. Then they added cats, which really pissed me off, not because I was mad about them adding cats, but because instead of fixing many of the GAME BREAKING BUGS (I'm serious, the game lags more than Skyrim) they added CATS. Also the golems, they also do nothing, there aren't any zombie attacks or anything to defend against. The game WAS great, best game I ever played, but that was before the useless updates and laziness of staff.

TL;DR: Was a great game, ruined by pointless updates and game-breaking bugs.
  22. Dec 6, 2011
    A game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's anA game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's an MMORPG after all. But that doesn't make it good. My problem isn't graphics- they're fine and the game works better this way. And sure, it's different from MMORPGs in that you BUILD the world rather than navigate through it. But this game has way too many fanboys who are going to say this review is unhelpful because I gave it a zero. Big deal. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. The point is that we're approaching 2012 and still people are satisfied from such a primitive, repetitive and frankly un-original concept? I just don't see why you'd want to play this when there's so many better games out there which are FREE. You actually have to pay for this rubbish. This game is just Doodle God mixed with Runescape imo. There's no justification of why it's good other than you can place blocks on top of each other. Why not play lego? It's so much better. Expand
  23. Nov 24, 2011
    Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else.Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else. There are far better actually complete games (that have only been around for as long as the Beta's) you can spend your money on. Look at games around or under the £17 mark, check it's metacritic score is more then 50 and buy it. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a far better *game* then this. Expand
  24. Nov 24, 2011
    We are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, theWe are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, the "game" is the problem and such high metascore for a map editor... Well it's a joke. Expand
  25. Nov 26, 2011
    My eyes still burn. What were they thinking????
    My eyes still burn. What were they thinking????
    Extremely dull, pointless, ugly, worst time i had on a "videogame" in al my life. I could feel it suck the life out of me as i struggle to perceive what was in front of my eyes. Please save your lives and don´t pay the devil for this game because the minute you start playing you start a journey to HELL. For a minute there i tought i was on crack because i could only see BLOCKS with different colours but alas it was real. Don´t play this, don´t go near this crap if you value your sanity this is hardly a game but more like an aplication to something. Calculator graphics, extremely painful sound that make your ears bleed and scream to you "why are you doing this to us". In one word, ZERO.
  26. Nov 29, 2011
    The first time I played it I had to check the calendar. The graphics are so bad I thought I had time traveled back to 1995. I think they borrowed the same engine from Wolfenstein 3D.
  27. Nov 29, 2011
    When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game,When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game, with animals. Booring. Bad gameplay, bad graphics, bad... game i guess. And bad game reviewers giving this mostly positive reviews. I'm talking to you pros at GAMESPOT, IGN and etc: You are supposed to be professionals and you aren't acting like it. Giving this "game" a passing score is **** Grab your **** ponytail and pull your head out of your ass, I don't read game reviews to get my **** hard, i read them to know if a **** game is good or **** bad. Stop being misleading you dickheads.

And to the many fans of the game, enjoy it if you want, I don't give a **** I buy EVERY Harvest Moon game and play them constantly. I know most of them are **** I don't care, it's a matter of preference. So enjoy your game but don't tell me its a **** 10/10 perfect game, have some **** pride and self worth and say "its a 4/10 but I love it". I knocked 3 points off my score to compensate for the dick sucking around here.
  28. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  29. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health.Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  30. Nov 21, 2011
    While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The onlyWhile this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The only great thing about this game is the community, they have MADE the game with all the mods and support. The developer has simply profited off everyone else's hard work. Expand

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]