7.4

1. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is actually quite a fun experience for a while, a fairly short while and it is by no means a game. Notch struck it lucky with a great idea and an amazing response from the internet that has catapulted him into the realms of the super rich, I think this was probably the worst thing for minecraft, a good steady income would of resulted in much more work being done on the game over the last year or so instead it has seen little progress as like anyone would in the same situation Notch has been distracted by his new found wealth.It has been the tireless efforts of unpaid mod makers that have fleshed the game out into a much more enjoyable experience. Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam. The developers don't take the game seriously, they would rather sit around in the office all day, playing games, promising features they never deliver on. It would be great to see a serious developer who isn't full of themselves take this game on and make it into something really great. It has SO MUCH potential. The only great thing about this game is the community, they have MADE the game with all the mods and support. The developer has simply profited off everyone else's hard work. Expand
  3. Sep 19, 2011
    This game use to be fun, but its way too repetitive and boring
  4. May 29, 2011
    Minecraft is just a little novelty game, if you can get past the sickeningly horrid graphics, which I couldn't. I have NEVER hated a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just wrong. I mean for starters you can't give this game a perfect score when it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year.
  5. Nov 30, 2011
    A fine little gem of a sandbox marred by apathetic developers, primitive and thereby buggy coding and an unreasonable amount of praise for what is really just a simplistic open-world sandbox. While that might be a rarity nowadays, it doesn't constitute an amazing game or gameplay; it merely allows for a potentially huge investment.
  6. Nov 24, 2011
    Virtual Lego's with bad graphics. That's all it is and it sells for over $25. It does nothing new, creative or original. I don't understand fads, never have and probably never will. What I do understand is people waste millions on them and later wonder what they were thinking. This is Minecraft.
  7. Nov 24, 2011
    Not delivering seems to be mantra of Mojang, as Minecraft, now in final release, delivers nothing from the better priced (and less expensive) beta-release but at a higher price.

The game, if you can call it that, relies on the user to make their own fun that, while interesting for the first few hours, will quickly become boring and tedious. This can be sometimes overcome with new
    content supplied by it's large user-base and their custom mods (many of which were designed to fix problems within the game or with it's lack of actual content).

However, if you don't feel like taking your time and finding new mods to try and extend the game's playtime, many of these mods will find their way into actual Mojang official updates.

This product, for better or worse, is more of a "LEGOS on computers" than a sandbox-style RPG but you might have more fun with the limitations of the LEGOS than then the "here is the world, you figure out what to do" style of Minecraft.
  8. Nov 24, 2011
    nothing to see here just an over-rated game; it doesn't even come close to living up to the hype; definitely not worth the asking price. the game does run properly, but its all programmed in java, which sucks. its far from a masterpiece; its at best a temporary distraction; or a game to play if you have a computer from the stone age.
  9. Dec 15, 2011
    Lets see. This game ripoffs Infiniminer. The devs are obviously lazy and greedy. Not only it looks like **** but it also runs so, i get more FPS in Skyrim than here. Its also overhyped, overrated and overpriced. Hardly worth even a neutral rating.
  10. Nov 25, 2011
    At it's core a strong game, but lacking too many promised features and functions to be considered a complete game. Minecraft lowers the bar for design, graphics, expectations for a finished title (no server browser?), and only functions well when mods are implemented. Buying this one-hit wonder from Notch is only increasing the length he'll inevitably fall, since he isn't an experienced enough dev to either refine / fix this game by himself or create another fun one. Expand
  11. Nov 24, 2011
    Ignore the critics. Buy this game today and you'll be nothing but bitterly disappointed. There are no tutorials meaning you'll spend most of your play time on the wiki and actually and no real purpose to this game. Yes it is an excellent time sink at first and some people will never grow tired of building ever more vast structures, but the average gamer should look for something else. There are far better actually complete games (that have only been around for as long as the Beta's) you can spend your money on. Look at games around or under the £17 mark, check it's metacritic score is more then 50 and buy it. I can pretty much guarantee it will be a far better *game* then this. Expand
  12. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecrap final version review: DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The final version of this game is nothing but the original game with added "survival mode." The Survival element gets boring after a few days of playing. The combat is boring and repetitive. The few amounts of weapons and armor are all the same, they just have a different color. The AI... they suck. Get close to them, you loose health. You just spam attack from a distance and kill them. You block them in a hole, they can't get out. Then you have the NPCs.... THEY DO NOTHING! You can't talk to them, can't trade items with them, you can't do anything with them! The dungeons? All the same. Filled with the same boring AI inside them. The only enjoyable element of this game is building structures alone or with friends.... WHICH YOU CAN DO FOR FREE ON MINECRAFT CLASSIC! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! Its not worth 30 bucks, its no better then any other free java game on the web. Expand
  13. Nov 24, 2011
    We are really close to the end of the world for this kind of game being appointed as the best PC game of the Year. If it was appointed for best game for your Windows 95 I would try to accept, because it's not a game, it's a tool. I don't see any elements that appoint this as a game, it's more like a 3d map editor with disguised monsters and horrible AI. The graphics isn't the problem, the "game" is the problem and such high metascore for a map editor... Well it's a joke. Expand
  14. Nov 19, 2011
    - Full of bugs - Performs terribly - Bad graphics - Repetitve gameplay - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space - Half-assed RPG elements. - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming - Multiplayer often doesn't work - Poor developer support - Despite simple aesthetic, requires immensely powerful hardware to run at acceptable settings. + Cheaper than most other games
    + Good replay value
    + Large modding community

This system won't let me go into the negatives so a zero was the best I could give this. This game is an excellent example of wasted potential. It became popular as a building/Lego game with small combat elements to keep you on your toes. Now it's a game about swinging pixelated swords at things until they fall over. The world is so cluttered with 'dungeons' now that it's impossible to dig for five minutes without breaking into another spider pit. The height limit hasn't been raised since pre-alpha, so you won't be building anything taller than the London Tower or digging anything deeper than your swimming pool. The multiplayer is buggy, incomplete, and lacks the tools for proper moderation. This game is so incomplete that there is literally no one that plays this game vanilla.
  15. Sep 17, 2011
    This game is just terrible, its boring and it has the graphics of a calculator. I played games in the 80's that had better graphics than this. This is only a game for people who are sheep. Stay away from this Horrible, terrible game
  16. May 15, 2012
    Minecraft had a lot of potential. I have been checking up with Minecraft since its alpha stages, back when the only player modes were some weird survival and creative, and zombies dropped feathers. People like to root for the underdog, and I understand. So, of course, people root for Notch. But if you separate yourself from the emotions and the novelty, you realize that Minecraft is vastly unfinished upon release. Promises made by Notch, for example, included various game modes like capture the flag, and a fully-functioning NPC village, among others I won't even bother listing. Yes, I play this game. I do like it to some degree, which is why I'm giving it a 4 out of 10. But the reality is that, when you compare it to everything on the market, nay, just compare it to other indie games, and you realize just how hard Notch dropped the ball on this one. The graphics are atrocious, and the term "retro graphics" don't justify it. Chrono Trigger is "retro" and still a beautiful game, so calling something retro to justify it being plain and ugly is awful. The music is serene, but nice. The combat is unvaried and unfortunately dull when it comes to the majority of the game, but the brewing/potion system and enchanting added a little to the game. Shame your only two real weapons are swords and bows.

The strength in Minecraft's programming comes from Jeb and, guess what, people other than Team Mojang. It's the mods and add-ons that aren't from Team Mojang that make this game actually fun and entertaining, and people tend to forget that. If you mod the heck out of it, great, fantastic, good game. But stand-alone it's an incredibly monotonous, uninspired simulator.
  17. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is absolute rubbish. The combat is mindlessly simple spamming of mouse 1 and the enemies pathing and AI is a joke. The building and mining is incredibly boring. The "exploration" is an absolute waste of time. The entire game is the same thing with slightly different textures. What a waste of money.
  18. Dec 23, 2011
    Game seems like a great idea and building is fun but... The AI is really bad and the NPCs merely exist (they don't talk, interact with you or even run when attacked). The game has been in beta development for years and is still bug ridden after the "official release" this year. It's sold well but once you play, you'll see how much the developer has dropped the ball with giving meaningful updates and listening to the community. It takes me 15 minutes to log into MY OWN server due to Minecrafts central server having issues with validation. Anyone else trying to log in has the same problems. The game gets very boring to play by yourself (but once again, good luck getting other players on your server). The end dimension is very pointless and you can tell that there wasn't much effort put into coming up with it, as with most of their other updates...just read the update history and you'll see: Mooshroom cows for example.

Don't buy this and get Terraria instead. You can usually get it for under $3 on Steam (it goes on sale all the time) and it's a much better made (and less buggy) game.
  19. Dec 8, 2011
    A game in which you play as a generic block guy and run around a randomly generated world full of blocks. Your aim is a collect blocks and stack them. If you're an imaginative person you can quite possibly pretend that the game is an amazing adventure. Reality suggests otherwise. Buggy, horrible graphics, horrible AI, rushed final release. Meanwhile, the creator is a multimillionaire who passive-aggressively abuses people on twitter, takes more vacations then he actually works and abandons the game upon release. Expand
  20. Nov 28, 2011
    Honestly, i have only one quite small question. Where is the magic in it ? Because i don't see any reason to waste my money and pay for Tetris-like looking game...
  21. Nov 25, 2011
    Terrible, unfinished game. Not even old school games look this bad and the lack of an actual AI past, "I KILL U" and "I NO KILL U" is inexcusable.
  22. Mar 10, 2012
    This game has a good premise and literally nothing else. The game looks ugly (not "retro"), the combat is shallow, most items are either too easily obtained or just plain pointless (for example rare food types do nothing for you that common foods do not) and the randomly generated nature of the game means that while occasionally you'll stumble upon something kind of cool that might take you a fair while. As far as building stuff goes a lack of intelligent opposition and the general low difficulty level makes it pointless while building for its own sake is boring due to the simple nature of the game's engine.

A novelty that became a short lived cultural phenomenon. Avoid.
  23. Apr 14, 2012
    The brilliantly simplistic and fun idea that powered Minecraft at the beginning of its creation is overshadowed by many, many flaws. The graphics are disgusting. Supposedly they are suppose to look "retro"; no retro game has ever looked this bad. It really hurst your eyes to look at it. The combat is very basic and boring. It basically comes down to who has farmed enough items and has spent enough hours playing the game to get the better loot. Multiplayer (without a whitelist) is absolute mayhem. Most of the server "owners" are 15 years old or a furry. (Usually both) This leads to you getting banned from servers because the owner was mad because he was picked on in school that day, you have a skin they don't like, or you killed an animal (and furries evidentally hate that). In conclusion, the game gets boring very quickly and a community that is full of furries, children and homosexuals makes it even worse. So, unless you are one of the above mentioned, you will want to steer far clear from this game as it will dillude your mind and pull you into those digusting and appalling fandoms. If you are one of the above mentioned, then by all means play the game and discuss your pathetic, freakish, loner lives together away from all the normal people of the world. Expand
  24. Nov 26, 2011
    notch is a complete hack. He gets way too much esteem for his "accomplishments." First off, Minecraft is almost an exact copy of Infiniminer, a game created by Zach Barth. Do a search on Google if you are not familiar with that game. So he is no genius game designer. Secondly, Minecraft runs like crap. Given the way the game looks, it should easily run at 60fps in a browser. Instead, even on high performance machines, it still does not run smoothly as a standalone application. So he is no genius programmer.

Lastly, he's hired a crew of programmers and started a "game company", yet take a look Minecraft today versus 2 years ago. It's virtually the same game, with a few new crafting items thrown in.

I still don't understand why people regard this game so highly. It feels like a classic "the emperor has no clothes."
  25. Dec 6, 2011
    A game for people that have given up on life. There's no other way to say it but if you like this game, you can't possibly be a true gamer, or you must be bored out of your mind beyond the point of redemption. Just like Runescape really. No skill, no challenge. Just repetitive grinding. Only those who have achieved nothing can like this. If you get addicted it's understandable- it's an MMORPG after all. But that doesn't make it good. My problem isn't graphics- they're fine and the game works better this way. And sure, it's different from MMORPGs in that you BUILD the world rather than navigate through it. But this game has way too many fanboys who are going to say this review is unhelpful because I gave it a zero. Big deal. It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. The point is that we're approaching 2012 and still people are satisfied from such a primitive, repetitive and frankly un-original concept? I just don't see why you'd want to play this when there's so many better games out there which are FREE. You actually have to pay for this rubbish. This game is just Doodle God mixed with Runescape imo. There's no justification of why it's good other than you can place blocks on top of each other. Why not play lego? It's so much better. Expand
  26. Nov 25, 2011
    **** graphics
    i honestly do not get the point of this game
    you run around and create a world but honestly who is willing to waste their precious time trying to create a fake virtual world
    only good thing is you can go online and show off but even still who is that bored and lonely that they have to make a world of their own and cannot live in the real world.
    there are also too many
    creepers at night time. Expand
  27. Apr 24, 2012
    Minecraft should be for free if you ask me. There was a website called minecraft for free whith you could play minecraft for free but however Notch ha to shut it down. God Notch now i'm glad I never ever buy minecraft. Minecraft is no fun and is so boring. Minecraft 4.2/10
  28. Nov 29, 2011
    The first time I played it I had to check the calendar. The graphics are so bad I thought I had time traveled back to 1995. I think they borrowed the same engine from Wolfenstein 3D.
  29. Nov 29, 2011
    When this game was in pre-release, waaay back when, waaaaay back before indev. This game was interesting and fun, and people were already pre-ordering it. Well luckily I didn't have a credit card, because we all knew this game had POTENTIAL. Unfortunately that potential was never fulfilled. What originally was like a bare bones sandbox legos game evolved into... a sandbox legos game, with animals. Booring. Bad gameplay, bad graphics, bad... game i guess. And bad game reviewers giving this mostly positive reviews. I'm talking to you pros at GAMESPOT, IGN and etc: You are supposed to be professionals and you aren't acting like it. Giving this "game" a passing score is **** Grab your **** ponytail and pull your head out of your ass, I don't read game reviews to get my **** hard, i read them to know if a **** game is good or **** bad. Stop being misleading you dickheads.

And to the many fans of the game, enjoy it if you want, I don't give a **** I buy EVERY Harvest Moon game and play them constantly. I know most of them are **** I don't care, it's a matter of preference. So enjoy your game but don't tell me its a **** 10/10 perfect game, have some **** pride and self worth and say "its a 4/10 but I love it". I knocked 3 points off my score to compensate for the dick sucking around here.
  30. Nov 25, 2011
    If you like sandbox games with no plot, storyline, or point, you will love Minecraft. If you want any of the above, skip Minecraft entirely. I played the game every night for a month or two, but eventually realized that I found it utterly pointless. Sure, I could built a giant block castle, but why? Sure, I could stockpile tons of wheat or iron or diamonds, but again, why? Once you've built a bed and shelter from the monsters at night, nothing you do has any lasting importance or urgency. Sure, you need to farm or hunt for food, but any half-decent farm will develop enough food in a week or so of ingame play to last months. Sure, you can build elaborate traps for the monsters, but there is no need, as all you have to do is sleep and they become irrelevant.

Minecraft is a fancy lego set. If lego turns your crank, have at it. If it doesn't, pass this by.
  31. May 15, 2012

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]