7.4

1. DME
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sandbox-junkies will find a lot to do, but players looking for a game with goals and objectives should steer clear.
  2. Dec 23, 2011
    Scores of 100? Really? ---- I am new to Minecraft and never event gave it a fleeting look before its full release. I picked it up a few days after release just to see what all the fuss was about.................... Well, I appreciate that I have effectively missed the preverbial boat with this game, and there are a lot of people about that have played it do death during it's somewhatScores of 100? Really? ---- I am new to Minecraft and never event gave it a fleeting look before its full release. I picked it up a few days after release just to see what all the fuss was about.................... Well, I appreciate that I have effectively missed the preverbial boat with this game, and there are a lot of people about that have played it do death during it's somewhat lengthy beta cycle to the point that they've given up on the game either before it ended or just as 1.0 came out................. So, what is all the fuss about? Well, it's beyond me. Whilst I have spent quite a few hours in the game, I tend only to bother with it whislt I'm watching football on SkyGO in a window, or now, more recently, whilst i'm sitting in a 40 minute queue waiting to get in to play SWTOR. I have, when I first got it ploughed numerous hours into a world, but I cannot for the life of me find any kind of motivation to keep on playing as I'm almost certain I've seen pretty much everything it has to offer....... I bought a cheap rental server to see if some of my friends wanted to join, but it really isn't holding anyone's interest. Mojang's website have mentioned something about new game modes coming soon, but from what I can read into things, Minecraft, now released is now as good as being declared a finished project for the developer............. A way to pass an hour or two if needed, just like Tetris was in the 90's and the Rubik's Cube was in the 80's. A fad, slightly innivative, but ultimately flawed with no insiprational outlook. 7/10 Expand
  3. Dec 24, 2011
    It's not for everyone.

Let's be honest here: Minecraft is an internet phenomenon and it's something that has gone crazy mainstream, and if you haven't tried it you owe it to yourself to do so. It's pretty impressive that the basics of this game were written by a single person. I have been following Minecraft since mid-2010 and it's the game that I sincerely want to love, but I just....
    It's not for everyone.

I have been following Minecraft since mid-2010 and it's the game that I sincerely want to love, but I just.... can't. It's good, but it's just not for me and whether or not you're going to like a game like this depends solely on how much of a 'builder' you have in you. Some people just have a proclivity for making things, playing with legos, building stuff in a shed, tinkering with their car, etc, and if you're one of those people then this game is like catnip for you. But if you're a person that likes to sample things but not get too involved, or play competitive style games, or be 'the best' at something, then take a pass.

Minecraft is, essentially, a simplified map editor that you get in other games like Starcraft or Civilization. If you played a game like Starcraft or Warcraft and used to pore over the editor making the perfect map, then this game is probably for you, but if you spent all your time online on ladder then it's probably not. It's a good game for what it is, but it's definitely a niche game and not for everybody.
  4. Dec 8, 2011
    Giving this game a 7 is my opinion and a very reasonable one at that. The game itself is endless. It contains massive amounts of building designs and possibilities in the human mind, if not endless. It just so happens to have monsters. It is basic in graphics, but quite complicated in structure. However, it DOES get old after a while of playing on single-player, so you move ontoGiving this game a 7 is my opinion and a very reasonable one at that. The game itself is endless. It contains massive amounts of building designs and possibilities in the human mind, if not endless. It just so happens to have monsters. It is basic in graphics, but quite complicated in structure. However, it DOES get old after a while of playing on single-player, so you move onto multiplayer. Great way to play the game. Buggy, but fun. I would recommend this to anybody will to take large amounts of patience to build the White House or Starship Enterprise in Minecraft. Expand
  5. Nov 27, 2011
    The game itself is good, but the game developer is definitely not.

Notch definitely don't deserved to have that much money for the efforts he gave this game.

Most of the new features are already done by modders, so Notch basically don't have to do anything but copy the mods and put them into the game.

The game could be MUCH better if someone else develops the game.
  6. Nov 29, 2011
    This is a rare game. It expands the entire medium in a way that VERY few games come close to doing. If you want great action, buy Battlefield 7, or Madden 20XX, or go rob a bank. I guess this game is more fun for creative people looking to learn and build. I gave it 7/10 mainly because it feels unfinished. I have a feeling the modding community will grow now that it is 'official'.This is a rare game. It expands the entire medium in a way that VERY few games come close to doing. If you want great action, buy Battlefield 7, or Madden 20XX, or go rob a bank. I guess this game is more fun for creative people looking to learn and build. I gave it 7/10 mainly because it feels unfinished. I have a feeling the modding community will grow now that it is 'official'. Performance, purpose, and polish is what the game lacks, and modders will surely work on that. In the mean time, use the Dokucraft texture pack for a far more pleasant Zelda-like look to the game. Expand
  7. Dec 31, 2011
    Ok believe me in this I have been playing this game since ... September of 2010 I LOVED IT so much i still like it a lot BUT after the whole release of it idk I just dont feel the same if I had to vote on this game a year ago it would of been a 9.5 not it is a 7 because I think since notch left as lead just doesn't feel cool to keep up with.
  8. Nov 19, 2011
    Minecraft is a good game. But at the same time it might possibly be one of the most overrated games ever. Minecraft is either a "love or hate" game. For people who like to build and create structures and just be creative minecraft is excellent. For people who expect good gameplay and story telling from a game. Minecraft clearly isn't for us.
  9. Jan 1, 2012
    Minecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimateMinecraft used to be one of the best. I still "like" it, but Minecraft was utterly terrible towards the end of the year. 1.7 was amazing, it was a fun solid, blockarific game. It was quite clever in a matter of elements to the game. 1.8 came out and fried the game whole. It started with hunger, which ruined the normal expirence for me. Creative mode is just bad, it's just like legitimate mods, and how is that fun? Then they added crap to the nether, and etc. Minecraft is just like any other video game now. It's amazing how it turned to one of the year's best into the biggest trainwrecks this year. Is Minecraft still a good game? Yes, yes it is. Do I still play it? If I'm bored, yes. Do I recommend this game? Yes, but 1.8+ ruined some of the best elements of the game. In 1.9, they added Villagers, them alone ruins the clever feeling of YOU being the last person on earth. Which is how I felt before they came out. 1.0.0 had a bug, where servers are down, saying there is an invalid server key. Thirst was "added" but there is no bar, it just helps prevent your hunger from going down. I forgot to mention expirence, which makes this sandbox game into a RPG. These updated also, take the fun out of Mineraft, they are taking a blocky "creep controled" land, too seriously. However, what was Minecraft is still there, and you will still enjoy this game and probably always will. Minecraft will always be itself in a unique way, and it is worth the cheap 20 dollar price tag. Mojang and Markus Persson have overall, done proud with Minecraft and they still continue to update it. However, I still look forward to see what they have planned for us in the future as they are very intelligent and I'm sure they will release a few witty updates. Although its no longer a sandbox game, Minecraft is still enoyable, and that is what videogames are all about. Expand
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    I really like it. It's awesome and cheap, but they rushed in when it came to the full version and added the ender. This is a game that wasn't ever meant to have an ending. I run into massive amounts of memory shortages with the default allocated memory of the game. I had to make a custom batch file to launch it, so that it could have more allocated RAM. By the way, if your commenting onI really like it. It's awesome and cheap, but they rushed in when it came to the full version and added the ender. This is a game that wasn't ever meant to have an ending. I run into massive amounts of memory shortages with the default allocated memory of the game. I had to make a custom batch file to launch it, so that it could have more allocated RAM. By the way, if your commenting on bugs and stuff, we can't really comment on those, since it's updated and changed a lot. I really am pissed that they always make a file that attempts to stop mods from working. This game is formed by the community, and they should stop trying to do this. I like the updates, but they need to do more testing before they release them. Also, every time they update, since they try to break mods an all that, since they're mindless retards, I have to wait weeks for bukkit to update, and then I have to wait even longer for the plugins to update. They need to accept the fact there will always be modders. Other than that, I have gotten a lot of fun gameplay from this, but it needs a better community for the game. I find it hard to keep track of servers and friends I play with, since it's impossible to keep track of everything. They also have a lot to do with survival. I mean, there's only like 3 crops total. This game isn't really made by the developers, it's created by the people who play it, and that's why I like it. Anyways, overall, I like the game, but they have a lot of work to do before its a good game. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2012
    Minecraft has a unique visual style and gameplay premise - you can do whatever you want to survive and/or create things that emulate your personality. In the core singleplayer mode you are dropped into a randomly generated infinite world. You can be what you want - be it warrior, archer or forager - but the night brings horrors in the form of monsters. This is a great start but it alsoMinecraft has a unique visual style and gameplay premise - you can do whatever you want to survive and/or create things that emulate your personality. In the core singleplayer mode you are dropped into a randomly generated infinite world. You can be what you want - be it warrior, archer or forager - but the night brings horrors in the form of monsters. This is a great start but it also confuses you and there is nothing to tell you what to do.
    Multiplayer is amazing with a group of friends. The creations and ideas that can be produced are all astounding. But, however, the confusion and the fact that there will be nothing to do sometime into your adventure creates negative points that cannot be ignored.
  12. Apr 25, 2012
    I love Minecraft. i love everything about it. Its simply a wonderful idea, well executed, crazy awesome fun time.

unfortunately, its not perfect. the game is still riddled with bugs, and lacking in certain gameplay elements. the combat is still more tedious and pestering instead of challenging and fun. the crafting takes some pretty good memory skills or the wiki. the occasional bug can sometimes screw up your game. but even with this, i still enjoy it plenty. graphics i don't even need to speak of. you may think they are crap, but i cant find any other game were something as simple as a texture on a block can be so iconic. you try putting the texture of the gears of war brick wall on a shirt and tell me who recognizes it. they have an unparalleled amount of charm in them, and i've played cubeivour. the exploration, mining, building and other things other than the combat are an absolute joy. but the most fun i've ever had with it was when i play with friends. no matter what your doing, be it fighting to the death, spelunking together for diamonds, or simply running around in circles (oops sorry, no circles in minecraft) they all are much more fun with your mates doing it with you.

its an experience you wont ever forget. go buy it. its worth every single penny.
  13. Sep 19, 2011
    It's a very good game, though I think the Java will kill it. Since the 1.7 update, most of the users experience "Out of Memory" bug. The game just freezes, and shuts off. Like, every five minutes for some, ten for others.

I really love the game, as I said though, for a bunch of bricks, this requires some serious hardware.
  14. Nov 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a lovely original AND INFLUENCED game! Graphics are waste but you will get use to easily. The only problem I found in this is the repetitve way to do things -_-'
    I bought it a year ago, and now I play it once or twice a month... In some words,quite a borring game after a year playing to it.
  15. Nov 21, 2011
    minecraft is any amazing game but it lacks in few areas.
    Graphics: 8 the graphics are more artistic than realistic and it pulls it off great except for some occasional areas,
    Gameplay: 9 the gameplay is near endless with mods and many other options this area does suffer from bad optimazation and bugs. Sound: 7 the music is great for this game but the sound affects due lack alot.
    minecraft is any amazing game but it lacks in few areas.
    Sound: 7 the music is great for this game but the sound affects due lack alot.
    Multiplayer: 8 the multiplayer is just really you with other people building it is fun but noting groundbreaking.

Overall: 8 it is a great game for the creative person but bugs bad optimization and poor sound effects due bring it down. the game is really hard to review for if you are creative you will love it but if you need graphics and intense action then no it;s not so great. this is a indie game and it should be rated as one not a big budget title.
  16. Nov 21, 2011
    Gameplay: 8 - Great. Minecraft. Addictive? Yes. Deep? No. Minecraft's building mechanics are amazing, but the combat is terrible. However, the combat is hardly the focus. Minecraft is about diggyholeing, crafting, and creating. In those areas, Minecraft shines.
    Story: N/A.
    Story: N/A.
    Graphics: 6 - Okay. Minecraft's blocky style is great, and extremely endearing. However, the vanilla textures are so terrible that it is nearly nauseating. Even 16x16 texture packs vastly improve the looks of the game (Recommended: Painterly and Wayukian), and with higher-res packs, the game can look beautiful (Recommended: Dokucraft, LB Photorealism).
    Sound: 7 - Good. Minecraft is a scary game. The sound of a creeper is the most terrifying things on the planet. The music of Minecraft, however, is strange.
    Overall: 7 - Good.
  17. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft has established itself as one of the best games of this gaming generation. Over the last few years it has accumulated a worldwide fanboyish cult following, including millions of gamers. I have played it since the Alpha stage, through the Beta and now I enter the famed 1.0.0. I have built hundreds of castles, explored thousands of dungeons and have had the adventure of a lifetime.Minecraft has established itself as one of the best games of this gaming generation. Over the last few years it has accumulated a worldwide fanboyish cult following, including millions of gamers. I have played it since the Alpha stage, through the Beta and now I enter the famed 1.0.0. I have built hundreds of castles, explored thousands of dungeons and have had the adventure of a lifetime. Nothing can describe the satisfaction of finding diamond, nor the disappointment of rebuilding your house after a creeper attack. But now, I can put the game down and not play it again. For the people experiencing Minecraft for the first time, it will seem like a masterpiece, and in some ways it is. But for every seemingly perfect feature,there is a plethora of annoying glitches to accompany it. This is why I have rated it at 7.

For the people who are prepared to spend hours on this game, building, mining and exploring, I encourage you to buy it. But for those who are expecting to dips their toes in Minecraft and nothing more, don't bother. The be all and end all is: the more you put in, the more you get out.
  18. Dec 1, 2011
    There is no feeling quite like the one you get when u first play minecraft. i stumbled upon the game back when it was in "alpha" by youtube videos and it interested me. I can easily say that this game is awesome, but the repetition slowly killed my interest over the year or so i had it. Don't get me wrong, my main world is massive and playing kept me entertained for hours on end. and eachThere is no feeling quite like the one you get when u first play minecraft. i stumbled upon the game back when it was in "alpha" by youtube videos and it interested me. I can easily say that this game is awesome, but the repetition slowly killed my interest over the year or so i had it. Don't get me wrong, my main world is massive and playing kept me entertained for hours on end. and each update refreshed my interest for a day or so, it would be nice to see updates that bring in a lot more craftable uses for some items that dont seem to do much other than just be there for asthetics. Expand
  19. Nov 23, 2011
    This game is a joke, you can't even finish the game BUT I have a love to this game, you can express your true creativity in this game and see how good you can actually make your own paradise. I do play 1.0.0 on Hardcore mode myself, as a serious gamer I like to make the greatest challenge for myself possible although I do believe that this game isn't really that hard so it doesn't testThis game is a joke, you can't even finish the game BUT I have a love to this game, you can express your true creativity in this game and see how good you can actually make your own paradise. I do play 1.0.0 on Hardcore mode myself, as a serious gamer I like to make the greatest challenge for myself possible although I do believe that this game isn't really that hard so it doesn't test how good of a gamer I am. Beginners and kids choose to play on survival - for the serious gamers - go hardcore. If you can't do hardcore you can't even consider yourself serious because it's too easy. Expand
  20. Nov 25, 2011
    Minecraft is a game which is a little bit like Marmite. You either love it, or you hate it. Unlike Marmite however, it lasts you far longer than just trying it once and then never coming back to it. The basic premise behind Minecraft is that you do whatever you want to do, within the limits of the game, of which there are basically none. This makes it one of the most addicting singleMinecraft is a game which is a little bit like Marmite. You either love it, or you hate it. Unlike Marmite however, it lasts you far longer than just trying it once and then never coming back to it. The basic premise behind Minecraft is that you do whatever you want to do, within the limits of the game, of which there are basically none. This makes it one of the most addicting single player games i have ever played.
    You can attempt to survive in the hostile world, craft all manner of items and even just build a massive pink woolly castle just because you feel like it.
    Minecraft has two modes; Creative and Survival. Creative is the mode where you are given unlimited amounts of every block which you may do with what you please, Survival challenges you to gather the resources yourself in an attempt to survive the monsters that come out at night in the Minecraft world. To survive in this world, you may craft anything from swords to minecarts, jukeboxes to bread and this is where the main issue with Minecraft comes in.
    it is hard to become fully immersed in a game where you have to consistently tab out to check the internet for recipes on crafting, which with no guide available in game, is often. A further issue is with the recent implication of potions and enchantments. These seem very tacky and seem to work inconsistently and are relatively pointless. The way that Minecraft worked until full release was that it would receive regular free updates adding new features, often as suggested by players. I fear that now following the release of the full game, these updates will become "expansion packs" which can only be obtained through payment. Many of these updates in the past have not been worth paying for, and so if this situation develops, it will most likely detract away from the game. A further issue is the ending of the game, which seems very unplanned and the difficulty level of the game sparks highly at this point.
    However, ignoring these factors to the game, there are many good things about this game. One is the style of graphics in the game, which means that most computers will not struggle to apply textures and allows for much customization of the game. This is seen through the huge amount of mods and texture packs that are available for the game. However another issue with this is at there is no in game method of implementing mods, and players must have some technical knowledge to get them to work.
    It must of course be mentioned that there is a multiplayer option to this game through the ability to join friends servers ( a program for which can be downloaded from Minecraft's website) and craft, mine and build with friends. However, the only way to join a server is to directly enter the ip address and even though the game saves that server from thereon, it is still annoying that you cannot see a list of available servers for you to join. Some aspects of the single player game do not work in multiplayer which is extremely annoying for those who want to explore Minecraft's full potential with friends.
    To conclude Minecraft is a great game with quaint graphics and addicting gameplay however the many faults it still has makes me think that is possibly should have remained in beta for a while longer to work out the kinks and adjust some of the features within the game. Taking all my points made into account I award this game 7 out of 10 with hopes that perhaps in a view months this review will no longer be relevant due to updates since.
  21. Nov 25, 2011
    Great indie sandbox environment. By itself, it is not what could call a great game, the fun is there, but limited. Mods and continued work can allow it to continue to grow. I think it may be one of those cult classics that will still have a following many years from now.
  22. Nov 26, 2011
    Good intentions. Lego world, for big guys, but NPC's, doing anything, bugs, and trying to do RPG ... What the? And it's boring when you're having a lot of diamond's, big tower, and what? You must always defend your own from zombies and other sh**...
  23. Nov 27, 2011
    Minecraft is an innovative and fun experience in which you build, survive and mine your way to victory. The 'blocky' graphics are a fun and interesting way of bringing that nostalgic feel back to gaming. Unfortunately, the game is let down by bugs and dead ends, which a full game should not have. The ending feels like it has been rushed, and doesn't really give a feel of accomplishment toMinecraft is an innovative and fun experience in which you build, survive and mine your way to victory. The 'blocky' graphics are a fun and interesting way of bringing that nostalgic feel back to gaming. Unfortunately, the game is let down by bugs and dead ends, which a full game should not have. The ending feels like it has been rushed, and doesn't really give a feel of accomplishment to beating this brilliant game. Minecraft is amazing, but some small things let it down. Expand
  24. Nov 30, 2011
    I like the game, I think its a nice "get away from the others" game, but the ending SUCKS. You can tell, no thought was put into it, it was done in couple days, plus it doesnt go along with the theme of the game since Alpha. If you like a sandbox game of building, exploring, and creating, its great, but if you want a thriller, with puzzles, and adventure, it just doesnt cut it. If theI like the game, I think its a nice "get away from the others" game, but the ending SUCKS. You can tell, no thought was put into it, it was done in couple days, plus it doesnt go along with the theme of the game since Alpha. If you like a sandbox game of building, exploring, and creating, its great, but if you want a thriller, with puzzles, and adventure, it just doesnt cut it. If the game, for some odd reason, goes above $20, DO NOT BUY IT. Expand
  25. Dec 1, 2011
    This game was ruined after 1.7. Notch has started to add things that in my opinion just don't belong in the game. The combat system is uninteresting and boring but that was made up for by the large amount of creative potential the game offers. The only reason it out lives other creativity tools like Gary's Mod is because it makes you work for the resources.
  26. Dec 6, 2011
    While the game is by no means bad, it can just get too boring too quickly. This probably isn't the games fault, but there weren't enough features to make me addicted, which I admittedly once was. One reason is that it's too hard to find enough diamonds to do anything, another reason is that the best things in the game i.e. going to the End and defeating the dragon take too much useless andWhile the game is by no means bad, it can just get too boring too quickly. This probably isn't the games fault, but there weren't enough features to make me addicted, which I admittedly once was. One reason is that it's too hard to find enough diamonds to do anything, another reason is that the best things in the game i.e. going to the End and defeating the dragon take too much useless and fustrating toiling over smelting enchanted rhubarb and whatnot. The rest of the game, however, is very good and worth buying. My biggest complaint, however, is that the servers that don't lag require you to donate, which leaves the rest of us to aimlessly wander around the Spawn building, hoping that someone will start an interesting conversation. You don't even want to go and explore because the world has been devoid of its beauty and turned into a flatland full of eyesores. Your best bet is to play singleplayer (even if it's hard to decide what to build) or local multiplayer with your friends next to you. Expand
  27. Dec 7, 2011
    Did you like to build stuff with lego when you were a child? Do you like games where you can catch an occasional scare? Do you like to explore a sand-box and eventually get lost watching a beautiful sunset? Do you want to do all this with a few selected friends? Minecraft is for you, as long you buy it for 10$ or 15$ you will have made a great buy.
  28. Dec 10, 2011
    Minecraft is definitely a fun Sandbox game, but the current cost of the game is about $10 too high. More so, this game also lacks the serious drive for long term play, since the multiplayer environment either turns into a co-op based adventure with friends or an MMO style grindfest on some of the hardcore Role-Playing servers. This is definitely not a bad game, and well worth the $15 thatMinecraft is definitely a fun Sandbox game, but the current cost of the game is about $10 too high. More so, this game also lacks the serious drive for long term play, since the multiplayer environment either turns into a co-op based adventure with friends or an MMO style grindfest on some of the hardcore Role-Playing servers. This is definitely not a bad game, and well worth the $15 that I paid for it, though I'd love to see more of a reason and drive behind the game. As it has nothing to keep me entertained in the single player environment once I get finished creating a fort, farm, & house. Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    Dehydrated review. There is a reason this game is so popular despite it's rudimentary graphics. Genuinely fun and intuitive, with a pure sandbox model and completely open world. Make this world anything you want it to be. This is a definite buy.
  30. Dec 30, 2011
    First off, I feel totally betrayed by the game's developers. Early in the development cycle they were adding a whole lot of really interesting things (secret Friday updates were always a joy). Right around 1.6, 1.7 though, the quality of development dropped with an almost audible 'clunk'. Instead of new, interesting things, we get... wolves. Well okay, fine - they can just fix bugs for aFirst off, I feel totally betrayed by the game's developers. Early in the development cycle they were adding a whole lot of really interesting things (secret Friday updates were always a joy). Right around 1.6, 1.7 though, the quality of development dropped with an almost audible 'clunk'. Instead of new, interesting things, we get... wolves. Well okay, fine - they can just fix bugs for a while and maybe do performance optimization, maybe - but they didn't even really do that. For a while, the updates were adding as many bugs as they were fixing. My heart sank when I realized that they were going to add a level system... because I knew they would not do it justice.

And that's exactly what happened. Some odd months later, we get the "retail" version of minecraft. At the last second (really, the last month of its development to this period was a *massive* crunch), they started shoving in a bunch of features that users didn't really want or even cared for. None of these really expanded game time at all - people who had already caught the carrot at the end of the stick would feel cheated. We got animal breeding, NPC villages... which are really just mobs that don't do anything, and more randomly generated structures, all-in-all. The biomes were improved, we got some changes to seed generation and other such minor fixes that didn't really impact gameplay - but made it a whole lot more sellable. The final straw? Dragons. They were so pathetic and desperate for sales, they literally slapped in a dragon to a spot where they simply ran out of ideas. Considering Skyrim came out around the same time... yeah. Sigh. Even worse, the devs had hinted at more interesting game modes, which simply never materialized.

But you'll note I gave it a 7, still. This is because the game, at is very core elements, deserve that. If you haven't played it before, the easy comparison is electronic legos with a greater sense of reward. The "game" elements to it, survival mode, really only exist to make the creative part of it more rewarding. Monsters are not difficult to fight and absurdly predictable, AI pathfinding is so laughably bad it'll routinely fall down into lava or kill itself, health regenerates pretty quickly, and nothing really hurts you with armor. In fact, mid-to-late game, the only thing that can really kill you is lava, and that's if you're really being dumb about mining in the first place. It's not really 'surviving' it's "building" which is occasionally interrupted by the need to gather materials, kill some monsters, and eat food. You don't need to build walls to protect yourself - the most safe thing to do is just dig a hole in the ground. Really.

That all being said, the game is wonderfully fun for the first week or so if you have any desire to build things. If you have a goal you want to materialize, Minecraft is addictive, simple, and fun. Multiplayer is great in every sense except for PvP which is *almost* pointless.

But the true potential in the game is actually the fact that it's in Java, there's an absurdly large modding community, and the devs screwed up so hard at the end. Mods have literally increased the amount of time I've played this game by a factor of five, if not more. If you like building, there's Buildcraft. If you like crazy fun things, there's Equivalent Exchange. If you like end game things, there's Industrialcraft 2. If you like circuits, there's Redpower 2. Simple mods are so trivial and easy to make it doesn't even require a working knowledge of Java. The tutorials will guide you literally through every step. If you're looking for a canvas to mod and add your own ideas to, while learning a language, this is clearly the game for you.

It's a seven because while great, they stopped making it good halfway through and just started adding in things that would help it sell. I got it for half off the beta price and it was well worth my money, but if I had paid four times as much I might feel a little peeved. It's a creativity tool first and foremost, and while Mojang is a business, they missed a huge opportunity for the sake of cashing in as much money from this cow as possible. I would not advise you to get this on anything but the PC because mods are just that amazing.
  31. Dec 31, 2011
    Hurrah! I have deleted my game rating account and am back to doing games on here. The first thing I would like to say is that Minecraft is a helluva fun time, for a while. Skyrim had the same problem: after hours of fun, it gets boring. I got it for free, so I am not complaining, but kudos to the guys who had to pay for it.
  32. Zxp
    Dec 30, 2011
    At first I fell in love with this game from the start with the whole building and survival element of it,but it soon became very boring and repetitive,same old explore a cave,mine some minerals,and thus it got boring very fast..
    Another complaint I have to make is with the Developer themselves,Mojang.
    It seems to me that this said company does not take the game seriously and adds
    Another complaint I have to make is with the Developer themselves,Mojang.

It seems to me that this said company does not take the game seriously and adds pointless things to the game (Snowmen,Coloured sheep,Animal breeding,and so forth)
  33. Jan 3, 2012
    the game is very fun until you slave away to make a huge structure and you are rewarded with nothing and its isnt very compatable with many systems as java makes it very laggy but the game is ok
  34. Jan 9, 2012
    Good for spendind a short time playing a video game when you're out of options. Not that fun to play the whole day during months like other games, but it is enjoyable. Playing alone is bad, but in a multiplayer server with the friend it's nice.
  35. Feb 13, 2012
    The game concept itself is very good. but if you have finished the game once. It won't be many fun anymore. At least if your playing without mods. If you use mods it can be a very fun game. Multiplayer is much fun. You can play with friends on multiplayer. So I would only recommend it to people that know how to install mods, and play multiplayer else it isn't a very good game for you
  36. Feb 24, 2012
    If you have many idea's and if you are creative, this game is a good game for you^^
    I think, the multiplayer is better than the singleplayer. It's funny to build big things with your friends.
    But there is one thing i hate: Java!
    The FPS are jumping between 30 and 500. Graphics are very bad in the year 2011/2012. But if you install a Texture Pack and Shaders, it doesn't look so bad.
  37. Mar 13, 2012
    Although I've put multiple hours into this game and even host a fairly popular server the game is made by it's modding community which Mojang has until recently ignored making it hard to install mods. For servers only server-side mods are available without using a different client which severely limits it's possibilities. If mojang let clients download mods when they join a server the gameAlthough I've put multiple hours into this game and even host a fairly popular server the game is made by it's modding community which Mojang has until recently ignored making it hard to install mods. For servers only server-side mods are available without using a different client which severely limits it's possibilities. If mojang let clients download mods when they join a server the game would be soo much better! Expand
  38. Apr 12, 2012
    I bought minecraft from 1.26 Alpha back then it was so different from now, the feeling of danger in every corner has been lost through the updates i am still though a daily player of it and will still play it as long as i get my updates, but the lost of feeling as i described before is going to cost them the good score they had.
  39. Apr 29, 2012
    The stress-relief and creative possibilities of Creative Mode are the real shining point of Minecraft, the game itself being only occasionally rewarding and often not worth the effort. Get it if you want to build things. If you want an actually satisfying dungeon-spelunking experience, though, Terraria is probably a better investment.
  40. Aug 27, 2013
    Pretty cool, gets boring after a while. and don't tell me that mods are going to fix that issue seeing as I get bored of the minecraft environment and overall look. CSS mods ftw :P
  41. Jun 6, 2013
    Minecraft is a game of freedom, survival, crafting and building. The graphics are simple, still good. Everything is built up from pixelated blocks. There is a nice day/night cycle, randomly generated terrain with hidden dungeons, underground cave systems, huge oceans, hills, swamps, villages, and with lots of other biomes and areas. In normal survival mode, you start basically withMinecraft is a game of freedom, survival, crafting and building. The graphics are simple, still good. Everything is built up from pixelated blocks. There is a nice day/night cycle, randomly generated terrain with hidden dungeons, underground cave systems, huge oceans, hills, swamps, villages, and with lots of other biomes and areas. In normal survival mode, you start basically with nothing. You need to collect resources, craft tools, clothing, hunt, and explore new areas and visit other worlds. There is an ending for the game, so it is not just for nothing.

Redstone is an other really cool feature, you can build traps, complex machines with it. It is a really nice, unique feature of the game.

Also there is an unlimited creative mode, where you can build and create without limitations. You can generate normal and flat world in case you want to build on a flat area.

As much the game is, there are large amount of flaws in it. One of the frustrating factor is it is still very badly optimised. It lags sometimes like hell, You should say, get a better PC, but to be honest, I saw better looking and well working similar programs, that ran much better and had nice, high resolution textures. So the code is unoptimised, and also buggy. With all the updates we get some new content also lots of new glitches. That's sad.

There are still not enough mobs (creatures) in the game. My other problem is the sounds. The game lacks of nice environmental sound effects. I would be happy with cricket sounds at night, birds tweeting, and other nice environmental sound effects.

Multiplayer is much more enjoyable than any modes of single player. Unfortunately, it can be also glitchy sometimes. Don't think about major glitches, but they're still there. Also there is no server browser, which would be a nice feature.

In multiplayer, there are much more possibilities, also there are non-official servers programs that gives great expansion for the game as permissions, better tools for editing the world, add shops into the game, make PVP arenas, etc...

Good news, there are lots of modders and there lots of mods out there, however, modding is not supported by Mojang (the creators of the game). Some mod APIs are already done by modders, gives possibility to play with mods in both single and multiplayer!
    For 1.6 there is a Modding API in plan, that will give official support for mods. I can't wait for that!

So in overall, Minecraft is a unique experience, if you can live with the graphical limitations, but I still feel the game unpolished and unfinished.

If I was reviewing 1.0 (or 1.7.3 Beta, which was my favorite), maybe I would give it a higher score, but I think the game is going slight downhill, the updates are not really large progresses at all, they doesn't really fix some basic problems, the optimization is bad, and it has some basic issues.
  42. Jul 15, 2012
    My feelings for vanilla Minecraft are mixed. The huge, limitless world is stunning, and the ability to create almost anything you want is awesome. I think the best thing about Minecraft is its endless possibilities, especially when you factor in the huge assortment of mods that have been made for the game. I would rate Minecraft with mods (Technic Pack, etc.) a 9/10, but vanilla MinecraftMy feelings for vanilla Minecraft are mixed. The huge, limitless world is stunning, and the ability to create almost anything you want is awesome. I think the best thing about Minecraft is its endless possibilities, especially when you factor in the huge assortment of mods that have been made for the game. I would rate Minecraft with mods (Technic Pack, etc.) a 9/10, but vanilla Minecraft is sort of becoming a real let down, as the updates are getting fewer and fewer since the game was released and without all the cool mods, vanilla Minecraft does start to get a bit boring. However, I still strongly recommend this game for its huge potential, and as for the graphics: who cares? I am a big fan of realistic graphics, but in my opinion, anyone that would ignore a great game just because of old graphics is a fool. Besides, Minecraft with realistic graphics would need a supercomputer to play. Expand
  43. Aug 11, 2013
    Not bad. The game's key concept is doing whatever you want, be it constructing the Empire State Building, or making giant Megaman pixel art. However, it is held back by a few key problems: This game probably has the steepest learning curve I've EVER seen in a videogame. So many crafting things to remember, so many ores, so much everything! Also, the game is quite buggy, but I won't hold itNot bad. The game's key concept is doing whatever you want, be it constructing the Empire State Building, or making giant Megaman pixel art. However, it is held back by a few key problems: This game probably has the steepest learning curve I've EVER seen in a videogame. So many crafting things to remember, so many ores, so much everything! Also, the game is quite buggy, but I won't hold it against it for this kind of game. It has its problems, but the game should last you A LONG TIME, as long as you are ready to learn! Expand
  44. Aug 1, 2012
    Whats interesting is that in the alpha stage, I would give this game a 9 or 10, it was a masterpiece that was constantly updated with excited content that kept us coming back for more and more. Sadly though, the "finished product" lacks so much of the charm from the alpha verisons and more importanltly feels like a very unfinished product. Notch is great in a lot of ways but to me, itWhats interesting is that in the alpha stage, I would give this game a 9 or 10, it was a masterpiece that was constantly updated with excited content that kept us coming back for more and more. Sadly though, the "finished product" lacks so much of the charm from the alpha verisons and more importanltly feels like a very unfinished product. Notch is great in a lot of ways but to me, it feels like he rushed the release version for more profits which he honestly didnt need at that point and in doing so left his early fans dissapointed. The villager AI is basically non existant and I beleive they should have just been left out, it used to be you where the only humanoid in this world and that gave you a sense of that lone wolf lone survivor feel which was terrific. IF the villages had some decent AI this wouldnt be a problem but now they feel tacked on and pointless. The combat could have been so much more, but as it is, it is nothing but rapid mouse clicks, no thought AT ALL to strategy and some will argue thats not the point to minecraft but those people honestly dont realize that in a survival mode game, combat is the key element that seperates it from creative mode. Lastly, the survival mode promised since alpha was never released which was a big let down and I feel its because Notch figured he made his money from the game, why put more money into it to keep his fans happy. For alpha all of these downfalls were forgiven since hey, it was ALPHA, but for a supposedly fineshed product, it sure does not feel like one. I feel that a 7 is a fair score. Expand
  45. Aug 6, 2012
    At first i loved this game it had a lot of potential and was overall fun either in survival or creative but i soon got bored and didn't really play it anymore i just started terrorizing the nearby villages with TNT and lava
  46. Aug 16, 2012
    This game was revolutionary when it came out. It was original and yet retro with the basic graphics, however with later updates the game went downhill. Notch had good intentions when he started but he seems to have been corrupted by the money. The single player is fun enough to play but becomes boring somewhat quickly. Multiplayer held out some hope for this game with multiple players andThis game was revolutionary when it came out. It was original and yet retro with the basic graphics, however with later updates the game went downhill. Notch had good intentions when he started but he seems to have been corrupted by the money. The single player is fun enough to play but becomes boring somewhat quickly. Multiplayer held out some hope for this game with multiple players and plugins. The $10 beta price was amazing for this game but $30 is too much. However if you are good with computers Minecraft mods really make this game shine. They can range from fixing simple bugs, to adding new ores, mobs, blocks, and player modification. Which goes to show you that the community can make a game so much better for than the company. If you aren't good with a computer then this game is not worth it but with mods this game becomes absolutely amazing Expand
  47. Mar 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a very good game. A nice, if not new concept which allows players to achieve great things. The game works well with friends, and alone, but you must realize that in order to be entertained, you need to have a goal. If you aren't working on something this game gets boring fast. So think of something, and build it!
  48. Nov 5, 2012
    Minecraft is fun and very different experience from most games, but it finds itself in a very odd position however, It finds itself in between a game and a sandbox editor. The game doesn't have much direction to it and while this is fun at first, the game gets progressively less fun when you get the hang of it. The problem is generally remedied by the numerous mods that are released forMinecraft is fun and very different experience from most games, but it finds itself in a very odd position however, It finds itself in between a game and a sandbox editor. The game doesn't have much direction to it and while this is fun at first, the game gets progressively less fun when you get the hang of it. The problem is generally remedied by the numerous mods that are released for it, but until mod support is officially implemented I cannot give the developer any credit for it. Overall, vanilla Minecraft doesn't really really have much going for it, but it serves as a great building block (no pun intended) for mods, which is where the game redeems itself. Expand
  49. Jan 13, 2013
    After playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see aAfter playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see a point in continuing to try to change the game anymore than they already have, there is not much more they can add to improve the games mechanics and features at all. I enjoyed the days where minecraft was a game where you were not forced to eat almost all the time. Now they are making it more "realistic", which I can see makes the game more challenging. Realism also attracts more people to play the game. I am really tongue tied on this one, and I really don't have a clue what I want to say about this game anymore. It went from being excellent, to now it's starting to get boring. They need to improve it for the better instead of the worse, and they need to do it quick before they lose a lot of fans, and players. When I got a new computer, I had intentions of having a good time playing it. The worse had already happened though, it changed. I am going to give this a score that I just need to give, and I recommend giving it a try, but don't expect too much from what used to be the original minecraft. Expand
  50. Jan 21, 2013
    after seeing the review total of a 7.1 i was confused how it could be so low, but then i realised thats what it truly was. If i were to say minecraft was not and incredible game i would be lieing, but the key word there is WAS. Minecraft started out simple, elegant, and an amazing game. However, the turning point came with the add ons. Alchemy, Enchanting, the end, all it did was hurtafter seeing the review total of a 7.1 i was confused how it could be so low, but then i realised thats what it truly was. If i were to say minecraft was not and incredible game i would be lieing, but the key word there is WAS. Minecraft started out simple, elegant, and an amazing game. However, the turning point came with the add ons. Alchemy, Enchanting, the end, all it did was hurt minecraft. It was a game that lost its point and turned from a simple peaceful farming game into a tolkin RPG with farming element. Expand
  51. Jun 27, 2013
    When I first started to play Minecraft, I had no clue what to do. After a while, I began to figure things out, building mud shacks. As I got better, I built bigger and cooler buildings. There was a point while I played this game where I was addicted, trying to build giant structures, spending hours at a time completely immersed. It was really cool.
    And then it got boring. After a while,
    And then it got boring. After a while, the game just loses its original charm and becomes a chore to play.

My fun while playing Minecraft is like a parabolic curve. I started off bored, got really into it, then at the end got really bored. The first two weeks are still a blast, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.
  52. Mar 26, 2013
    Minecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually aMinecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually a game for those who are creative- those who imagine huge castles or roller coasters and thus will get quite boring after a while if you don't have a constant intake of these ideas (which is where the mods come in). The community is great- if not oddly overenthusiastic at times and should give you a good time. The graphics have never been a problem to me.
    An 8 for those who are creative and a 6 for those who aren't, so an average of 7 is pretty good.
  53. Jul 7, 2013
    While I do find the game to be extremely overrated, It is still a solid game. I have fun running about a endless world making anything I want in the creative mode. But I do not care for the adventure mode at all. But the game is also incredibly glitchy, but that is to be expected. I do recommend minecraft, but it is not as good as people say.
  54. May 6, 2013
    After I bought my Xbox 360, the game I wanted the most was Fallout 3, a game that I heard had taken some people's sleep due to its depth and infinite possibilities that kept people thinking about what decision to make next and what would be the outcome of that decision. I did end up buying Fallout 3 but it didn't kept me awake at night like it did to some people (still, a great game!). TheAfter I bought my Xbox 360, the game I wanted the most was Fallout 3, a game that I heard had taken some people's sleep due to its depth and infinite possibilities that kept people thinking about what decision to make next and what would be the outcome of that decision. I did end up buying Fallout 3 but it didn't kept me awake at night like it did to some people (still, a great game!). The game that did that for me was Minecraft. The idea of being able to modify the ole world and build everything I could think of was incredible! Even more incredible when the stuff you build actually had a purpose, to help you survive. I really became a fan of survival games when I started to play Minecraft, unfortunately, the survival element of the game disappears after the first 4 or 5 in-game days because, by that time, I'd already built myself a basic house, I had a mine and I had weapons. It turns into sandbox RPG where you just want to raid dungeons, farm XP, get better gear, kill bosses and then kill the Ender Dragon (the final boss). The developers really got me confused when they started putting these RPG-ish things into the game (bosses, leveling system, potions, dungeons, enchantments...) instead of enhancing the survival aspect of Minecraft. That (to me) was a problem. Another problem tis game has is that you will probablly lose interest on the game when you get to the middle part of the game because you've become so strong and resourcefull that nothing feels challenging anymore. Lucklly for Minecraft, those are the only mistakes I found in the game. The random map generator is amazing, the creative mode lets you use every block in the game so you can just build awesome stuff hardcore mode adds permadeath, making the game more challenging and the multiplayer makes everything more enjoyable (and there's LAN). I gave this game a 7 out of 10, not because it's a good survival game but because it's a great adventure game that's even better with friends, because it allows you to shape the world as you want and because of the amazing world generator that give this game a lot of re-playability. If you own a PC, you probably already played Minecraft, but if you haven't, you have to! Expand
  55. May 9, 2013
    I had a rather good gameplay experience with Minecraft, however, I quickly got bored. I played about 50 hours in the first week, and then just kinda stopped. My interest slowly petered out. It's an excellent game, and certainly worth the price (I bought it in late alpha, so I got it cheaper.), but don't expect 600 hours of gameplay.
  56. Jun 10, 2013
    Minecraft is a game with its own rules. It is the pure spirit of creativity. You can buld everything from blocks and build new blocks or entities by combining these blocks.
    The Multiplayer is the collective fight for life, against creatures of the night, which like in the Singleplayer culminates to greed for ores, gold, diamonds short: for all luxurious goods. But it is a fading greed, only leaving a feeling of having left something unfinished.
  57. Nov 2, 2013
    I wrote before that this game is completely awesome and outstanding. Well, I got bored of it. It can be really repetitive when you play more like a year, almost every day. Still a good game, though. If you never played it you will love it.
  58. Aug 9, 2013
    I do like it a bit. However, if you don't know what to do in this game, then you are pretty much finished playing already. The game doesn't say what you have to do, so for a lot of people it is unclear. Also, even though the graphics are bad, the engine is horrible and it doesn't even run properly on my "good home entertainment pc"
  59. Jul 1, 2014
    The vanilla game is great, but after a few weeks you get bored of it.
    The mods are where its at.
    There are literally hundreds of mods that you can play to keep you into the game.
    the only problem is that its hard to install mods at this time.
  60. Oct 15, 2013
    The game has gone a long way since 2009. It began as a novelty sandbox infinitely-generated 2D game, but eventually the game, although not losing it's appeal to new players, slowly started getting less invigorating and more arduos to the old veterans, like me. I don't like some of the changes Mojang has made to Minecraft, but I would honestly say the good slightly outweighs the bad. ButThe game has gone a long way since 2009. It began as a novelty sandbox infinitely-generated 2D game, but eventually the game, although not losing it's appeal to new players, slowly started getting less invigorating and more arduos to the old veterans, like me. I don't like some of the changes Mojang has made to Minecraft, but I would honestly say the good slightly outweighs the bad. But again, it starts to lose appeal to old Minecraft fans, namely because of some of the updates Mojang has made and the fact that survival just isn't a long-term thing after a while. Then again, it's come a long way and tons of friendly people, mods, and texture packs live in the Minecraft wild, and it is indeed fun to play with sometimes. In short: Minecraft's good concept is very slightly ruined by updates that kinda ruin the game's aspect and eventual non-appeal. For 26 bucks? I'd say it's worth it. Maybe even a must-buy. But if this game was in any older stage, I might have given it a slightly higher score. Expand
  61. May 19, 2016
    Summary: an overall enjoyable, influential and interesting game pockmarked by poor design decisions, flawed development and philosophical contradictions.

What I liked (* indicates a caveat - see following section): + Minecraft clearly popularized survival crafting games, for better or worse. Interacting with the environment and using it to your advantage by "mining" it and then

What I liked (* indicates a caveat - see following section):

+ Minecraft clearly popularized survival crafting games, for better or worse. Interacting with the environment and using it to your advantage by "mining" it and then "crafting" with it is the essence of the game and it is a relatively fresh concept.

+ There is a decent amount of content*(1).

+ The game clearly lends itself to co-operative multiplay, which I enjoy. Players have had some success with PvP due to novel situations you can get into with the mechanics, though I find it rather unsophisticated overall.

+ Minecraft will get you to think both creatively and geometrically. Mining and farming are matters of tiling, a classic category of math problems, based on a few facts you will learn contingently in-game. This encourages problem-solving skills not normally required in video games. Meanwhile, building aesthetic structures allows the player to express themselves in-game instead of following a railroad path so familiar to many modern games.

+ Item progression is relatively exciting and satisfying*(2).

+ Technically speaking, Minecraft is interesting for a number of reasons. It wasn't anywhere near the first game to use voxels in graphics and gameplay so extensively, but it popularized their use. Voxels are a kind of "atomic" graphical structure that constructs larger shapes out of smaller particles, not unlike LEGOs. Until Minecraft, they were mostly used outside of gaming for things like molecule imaging. Minecraft used fairly remarkable terrain generation algorithms to procedurally generate fresh worlds made out of voxels for each playthrough.

+ There is so much to do*(3), and the player can set their own pace. The game can be played in short bursts or in massive marathons and it lends itself to being rather addictive.

What I didn't like:

- *(1): There is a lot of content, but the way in which it is accessed is poorly conceived. Due to the terrain generation, most new content that comes in the form of new block types or new items needs to be reached by approaching the frontiers of what has already been discovered; for middle-to-old-aged worlds this can be several kilometers away from the starting point for a mere chance at visiting the new content. For instance, I easily have over 1000 hours in the game, and the "mushroom island" biome type was added to the world 4 1/2 years ago. I still have never encountered it. This flaw in the terrain generation algorithm forms the basis of several tedious game struggles later on, like finding a Nether fortress or village (necessary to acquire Eyes of Ender, items used to locate the final boss and "End" biome), finding biomes that were introduced years ago to experience all the content, or even finding content that is new to biomes that you've already experienced.

- *(2): In the beginning of the game, there's a clear material progression as you advance through wood->stone->iron->diamond tools and armor. After this point, though, all progression comes in the form of using a rather contrived enchantment system that is frankly an inconvenience. Since this enchantment system requires wheat, sugar cane, cows, and trees you're somewhat limited to where you want to put your "base" unless you feel like traveling a great distance to visit your cows or want to try leading them across great expanses (the pathing AI is not that great). Even then, once you have gone through the bother of acquiring the 46 leather, 90 wood planks, 135 sugar cane, 4 obsidian, and 2 diamond necessary to max out enchantment (yes I know this off the top of my head), it becomes increasingly expensive to repair your super-items.

- *(3): Most tasks in the game are about resource collection of some kind. There is combat and exploration but it is very lackluster. Once you've seen an example of something you've really seen it all. The rest of the game is about gathering resources, and this can be tedious. A few years ago one of the developers actually intentionally made crops slower to mature, not because he thought the game was too easy but just to make everything more tedious. Mining can take minutes upon hours of your time doing repetitive tasks to get modest gains, even when you meticulously plan it in a statistically favorable way and perfect all your equipment.

- Many ancient bugs, like poor achievement detection and Nether portal calculation, persist to this day.

- Numerous promises have been left on the floor: a modding API, more weapons than a sword or bow, a living villager economy, off the top of my head.

- Devs are less imaginative than modders and have been spending the better part of 5 years inserting inferior versions of mods as patches.

- The recent combat update adds more hackneyed decisions, hamstringing the player in pointless ways.
  62. Oct 28, 2013
    This game used to be fantastic. As a kid, this game was my life. But after a while, the developers have become lazy and add literally NOTHING to the game. Its just the same old same old. Start a new world, find diamonds, done. The game isn't terrible, but look at Terraria. They have literally added 2000+ items within the past 6 months. So, get this game, play it for a bit and be done with it...
  63. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, I'm highly addicted to it so don't get me wrong with lower than excellent rating. Not really mod friendly, or, not mod community friendly. Apparently the java is a devil to code with b/c each update requires mod overhauls; the mod websites are plagued with malicious coding to lure people to install browser hi-jacking software. How is this relevant you ask? Steam hasThis game is great, I'm highly addicted to it so don't get me wrong with lower than excellent rating. Not really mod friendly, or, not mod community friendly. Apparently the java is a devil to code with b/c each update requires mod overhauls; the mod websites are plagued with malicious coding to lure people to install browser hi-jacking software. How is this relevant you ask? Steam has a wonderful mod installation/update method, so at this phase in the games history, a Mahjong approval system is really a must, b/c this game can keep the entertainment flowing with a little more flavor in the vanilla. Expand
  64. Nov 12, 2013
    it is an spectacular game. awesome grafics, awesome monsters, awesome materials, just one thing i dont like. to play multiplayer you need to pay 20 dollars!??! I know not all games are free but minecraft doesnt have a long gameplay. so 20 dollars is too much.
  65. Nov 18, 2013
    Decent combination of exploration and building. I don't regret buying it for $12, though I only sometimes play it. It's lots of fun if you find a good server, and build a home, compound, or village with 2 or more friends, like in a LAN party setting. Playing alone can be somewhat tedious you might ask yourself "what am I doing, there is no objective, what objective should I make?" IDecent combination of exploration and building. I don't regret buying it for $12, though I only sometimes play it. It's lots of fun if you find a good server, and build a home, compound, or village with 2 or more friends, like in a LAN party setting. Playing alone can be somewhat tedious you might ask yourself "what am I doing, there is no objective, what objective should I make?" I confess it has those limitations, but with friends you can make your own objectives. So my advice.. play with friends. Expand
  66. Nov 25, 2013
    Minecraft haven't conquered me in the pc edition, i like to play in the Xbox 360, even with all the mods that the PC edition have.
    Just like, you don't have any instruction, it's like mojang saying to you Learn by yourself !!!
    Altought if you know how to play, you are going to love it.
  67. Dec 16, 2013
    Minecraft is a very cool role playing game. I often play it, almost everyday. That is because this game is very good. Graphics was also good even if all things were like polygons but the gameplay is awesome. I have created a blog post for my minecraft review and you can kindly visit it in ...
  68. Sep 28, 2014
    If your into gaming, there's probably nothing you already don't know about Minecraft. Chances are you have it, played it and love it. However Minecraft is only fun if you have a vivid and strong imagination for things to create. If not then perhaps you waste your savings on the new Call of Duty. Even with 1.8 Minecraft still has a lot to do and improve. I would not say this is forIf your into gaming, there's probably nothing you already don't know about Minecraft. Chances are you have it, played it and love it. However Minecraft is only fun if you have a vivid and strong imagination for things to create. If not then perhaps you waste your savings on the new Call of Duty. Even with 1.8 Minecraft still has a lot to do and improve. I would not say this is for everyone, there are frustrations if you don't know how to start things off. If you have the console version this won't be a problem since there is a tutorial and basically tells you the crafting recipes and points out every block you see. Don't be fooled into thinking this game is only playable on "The master race" that is PC because it isn't. But while it is undoubtedly dumbed down for players in the console version and doesn't have as many updates it is still fun and you do still get a sense of accomplishment on either really. Minecraft should at least be tried by everyone just too see what all the fuss is about then you might find yourself remembering every rule and crafting recipe in the game at three in the morning. Expand
  69. Mar 7, 2014
    Minecraft! An extremely repetitive, yet attractive game towards a lot of the younger audience. Minecraft is fun to play at first, but then when you get tired of it, you take a break and go to the mods. The modding community is quite amazing. It offers many advancements to the game, and brings in a ton of extra hours of playtime. Overall, this game is EXTREMELY addictive if you like sandboxMinecraft! An extremely repetitive, yet attractive game towards a lot of the younger audience. Minecraft is fun to play at first, but then when you get tired of it, you take a break and go to the mods. The modding community is quite amazing. It offers many advancements to the game, and brings in a ton of extra hours of playtime. Overall, this game is EXTREMELY addictive if you like sandbox survival games, but atrocious if you don't. Expand
  70. Jul 13, 2016
    Minecraft is alright. It's not bad, not at all, but it's just overrated. It's really overrated. It is detailed and good, and a lot of fun can be had here, but it's not as good as everyone says. It surely deserves a lot of gameplay hours, but i personally don't like it as much as everyone does.
  71. May 10, 2014
    Minecraft is indeed a good game, but I would not say a masterpiece. In my opinion, it come as a light in a bad age of games, it came right when those repetitive first-peron shooters were dominating the market. Minecraft emerged as an alternative to those who don't like these games.

I guess it's an insult to all other games to say that minecraft is the best game ever - However, I think it's the most striking game from the present.

Well, to explain these paragraphs I will make a list of the bad/good points from Minecraft:

GOOD POINTS
    - Creative game with thousands of possibilities;
    - Different and unique graphics;
    - Classic music which fits in the game;
    - A very good platform to mod and make plugins for;
    - Runs on any PC (on lowest settings);
    - A quite good multiplayer;
    - Hollow (and sometimes dark) atmosphere;
    - Several large and mysterious worlds to explore.

BAD POINTS
    - Poorly coded, with much lag;
    - Poorly detailed graphics (the game couldn't improve them a bit more without losing its style);
    - Bad sound effects;
    - Many non-sense addons (since the official release);
    - Have a lot of bugs;
    - A game with no point, nothing to do... You get sick of it quickly (unless you start playing in servers full of plugins (or mods). But that's not the game content);
    - Non-sense ending! A dragon WTF?! There could be a truly explanation (and end) for a square-ish world! And it could be more original and less cliché;
    - Several features that Notch promissed to include not included;
    - Despite being a light game, when on high settings runs only in NASA pcs (and have not "that" good graphics);
    - Barely made GUI;
    - It could have missions, portraying the story of herobrine, but NO, it's just a **** non-sense sandbox!
    - It could be a lot better than it was, enjoying a lot more its features (that have no purpose).

So that's it. For who overrate this game, that's my opinion...
    Loving minecraft is like loving water in a desert. It's not because of its "awesomeness", but because the other bad and boring games we have today.
    Who don't play anyother game, try a truly good one (such Age of empires, C&C, Total annihilation, etc) before saying **** ("MINECRAFT IS THE BEST GAME EVER"). There you see that MC isn't a so good game.

(SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, IMN'T A FLUENT SPEAKER XD)
  72. May 14, 2014
    Minecraft is a sandbox - survival game consisting of you making your own story, branching your own path and making your own choices. This game is fun mostly whilst playing with your friends and online. Without those features, the offline is boring and lonely, which is sad as I have seen people who make videos of Minecraft offline with or without modifications have so much fun which makesMinecraft is a sandbox - survival game consisting of you making your own story, branching your own path and making your own choices. This game is fun mostly whilst playing with your friends and online. Without those features, the offline is boring and lonely, which is sad as I have seen people who make videos of Minecraft offline with or without modifications have so much fun which makes no sense to me. Now for the gameplay features, it is simplistic which I like. You punch blocks to make blocks, to make tools to get better blocks. The bosses are boring however and require nothing else but SHOOT THE THING and the AI is ok. The enemies are intelligent enough and the friendly creatures are responsive to you killing them. The graphics aren't next generation but are stylised with the game and getting a graphics modification ruins the feel so don't. However it runs like crap as it uses Java script as the coding language and it really isn't ideal with making three dimensional games with such expansiveness. As of bugs, the only ones I see are shading errors and generation problems but overall a good built game, and I am not surprised as of how many people actually play this game and bug report.

Overall this game is good and I see appeal to those who want to play games that are expansive and simple and I find it OK. 7/10
  73. May 21, 2014
    ok, I am a die-hard Minecraft fan, I am part of the community and I even do a lot of vids on minecraft. But, I can't say minecraft is flawless, and I'm going to give my honest review.

Minecraft is a great game, and it is a truly open world sandbox, where your minecraft world ends with you. This Game is definitely a mark in video game history, and I hope this game leads to new ideas for future sandbox games. First, I'll start with survival. My first time, like most new players, was rough. Minecraft kind of puts you in the wild and says "you're on your own, have fun". But that's not that bad, it adds a bit of the charm to the game, and that there is lots to learn to do, and aim for. It also introduces you to the minecraft community, as you rely on it to learn more about the game, and how to play it. I'll talk more about the MC community later, as it plays a big role in the game. As you learn more and more, you explore your world, survive ravage nights, and build whatever you can imagine. Minecraft life will have many things to do, make, or explore. this review was made in ver 1.7.9, and there is a point where you have done it all, and once you've explored the game inside and out, the game starts to lose steam, the game-play isn't that interesting past that for the most part. Then there is creative mode, where you are invincible, and can build (or destroy) with few limits.

now, back to the community. The minecraft community is the absolute best, and really works hand and hand with the game to make it bigger and better, in a way I have never seen in any other game. if you have a decent amount of tech smarts, or look up tutorials, there you will really get the full effect of the minecraft community's mark on the game, and get more out of the game when you've explored it all. First off, the I am so impressed by what, amateur developers that loved the game, created in the minecraft community. There is like a mod for Freaking everything; shooting kamehameha's, guns, weapons from RWBY, SAO, KH, etc, Pokemon, magic, npcs, superpowers, bosses battles, alternate dimensions, you name is, it's most likely a mod for it, and will being the game to life. In addition, there are also resource packs to change the look and feel of the game. and Many maps custom maps; from an epic adventure map (most likely made by Hypixel), a survival world with the creators flare, recreations of other things or places, or just an awesome looking thing someone built. Don't even get me started on multiplayer server, minigames and stuff. Even outside of gameplay, youtubers have made minecraft so popular, and really something that people enjoy.

Now here comes the sad part of this review. The flaws of minecraft. The wonderful things the minecraft community brings to the game will keep you entertains for a long time, but it also starts to die. Minecraft's huge gaping hole that keeps it 2 points away from a 9/10 is the gameplay. Im sorry, but you the battle mechanics are pretty... eh, and just barely passes as enjoyable. Way you move, the way you fight, and just the way your character performs, it's just... ok.... it passes, and it wouldn't take away from the minecraft experience, but once it's you've explored everything, and you've exhausted your creativity, tried many mods, the game dies there. Gameplay is an important part of if you would come back to the game, and a game like this can't be played for a plot. but another point was deducted for the way the game is being improved. as more and more updates have come out, less and less is actual added. The updates just aren't giving me anything to return to the game to do something new.These flaws will not affect new players, but more players that have played minecraft for a while. If this ever changes in future versions, I would gladly give this game a 8/10, maybe even a 9/10. It hurts me that I had to give this game 7/10, but, I just can't go any higher.

overall, you will love Minecraft, and if you're a gamer, get this game. Let your imagination and exploration run free. And a tip, take shelter before the sun sets in the game, because the night is evil.
  74. Jun 4, 2014
    Minecraft is a well-crafted masterpiece with many features, an expansive world, and unrivaled replayability. However, a lack of a built in tutorial, button-mashing combat,, repetitiveness, and lack of balance undermine (pun not intended) the gameplay experience. Overall, it is a game worth buying, though some issues still show beyond its hype.

First, the good. It has in-depth features,

First, the good. It has in-depth features, such as a huge branching crafting system, a smelting system, and a brewing system for potions (in game items that can give players, NPC's and enemies buffs and debuffs), and a fun, but not necessarily advanced, enchanting system.

The expansive worlds allow the player to explore and build huge structures. The full PC version (not the classic or console versions) has an infinite world to explore, exploit, and build in. The world generation algorithm creates diverse worlds, with everything from mountains to oceans. Every world is unique, and the ability to choose and share the world generation "seed", or the code that starts the random number generator in the generation algorithm, allows players to find their perfect world.

The game also has unrivaled replayability, as every game is different, with different worlds and different approaches, this game can get you glued to your chair for hours. Different game modes (the creative, survival, and hardcore modes) allow you to choose how to play the game, whether you want to go into god-mode and build huge castles, or survive in a wooden cabin with limited materials.

However, the issues start becoming apparent as you start playing the game. The lack of a tutorial results in your first few hours of gameplay being just "How do I do this again? I have to go online and search on a fan-made website, again!" ad nauseam.

The melee combat is simple and limited to button mashing. Newer updates have made changes, such as "critical hits". a game mechanic where the damage done increases slightly if the player jumps before hitting the enemy, but the melee combat is still somewhat repetitive, in my opinion.

Despite its replayability, it still becomes repetitive over time, as you spend a lot of your time digging huge tunnels to find that one more diamond you need to make a new tool.

The game also has a complete lack of balance. Coal and iron are supposed to be the most common underground minerals in the game, as they are low and medium tier items respectively, but I frequently find stacks of redstone (a high-tier item) before I even find any coal, when digging underground.

In conclusion, while minecraft is a worthy buy, with many features, an expansive world, and replayability, issues, such as a lack of a built in tutorial, button-mashing combat,, repetitiveness, and lack of balance seriously ruin the gameplay.
  75. Jun 5, 2014
    I loved this game when I first started playing in 2010. I've had lots of fun with it, and it's a great game. It WAS, that is. My interest towards this open world game started decreasing, as it's now monotonus and overplayed on YouTube. I've resided to making Custom maps and Statues.
  76. Jun 24, 2014
    A very nice game in a voxel based world.It features offline and multiplayer modes. It is pretty much a game of life where you mine and craft and farm and explore. It is a pretty good game but it is definitely over priced. I have the game from a gift card from a friend, but I would not pay $27 USD to play this game. And it is also overpriced on android and apple devices and consoles too.
  77. Jul 6, 2014
    Minecraft is a game were you have only 10 minutes until dark. This game was created by Notch and developed by Jeb (Short form for Jens Bergensten). this is a great and awesome game. hope you enjoy this game
  78. Jul 7, 2014
    A frightening good example on just how popular something simple can get. Minecraft has laid out the groundwork for the booming indie industry we know today but unfortunately, It haven't really aged as well as I hope it would have.

Mods are being produced a hundredfold times faster than the actual standard game, be it the automated industry mining mod or the dozens of graphic mods that causes a game consisting of huge clunky squares look like Crysis, the developers themselves seem to keep falling more and more behind as the producer (Notch) distances himself more and more from the title as the community continues to have an far-above majority population consisting of little, impulsive school children.
  79. Nov 29, 2014
    Actually, I had a lot of fun with Minecraft, and lost several hours of my life...

The sandbox experience is really great, and the blocky world has a charm to it, and is really nicely done. Yes, I am applauding the graphics. People think every **** game should have Crysis-like graphics, gee... But, moving on... The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is

The problem with Minecraft, despite all that you can do with it, is that... Well, it gets boring kinda fast. I mean, 1 week after you start a game and you play it like crazy, but then you're just bored, and you don't really wanna start a new game.

The mods are awesome and the multiplayer is really nice, but it's not MY kind of multiplayer, so I give it a miss.

But what annoys me is that all the internet is FULL of Minecraft, everywhere. And this turns me off. There's a gazillion videos on Youtube of Minecraft, with kids screaming everywhere... and yes, this lowered the score for me. I know, if it is so popular, it means it's a sucessful game. And I'm not trying to be a hipster. But the community of the game ruined some of its charm for me.

But, still, it's a very nice game, and I'm glad I played something like 20 hours of it.
  80. Oct 23, 2014
    Good fun. One gets immersed for a while then it loses it's appeal. Overall it's a very intuitive idea, but if I have to mine another piece of rock I'll kill myself.
  81. Jun 2, 2015
    For the price this game is awesome and I like that they update the game rather than give you pointless DLC to get all the new stuff and the skins are free (unlike playstation and Xbox).... This game is great but this is where I get bored with the game...... How long can you actually play this game...... I am a person who likes to try new games and I could not play this for hours onFor the price this game is awesome and I like that they update the game rather than give you pointless DLC to get all the new stuff and the skins are free (unlike playstation and Xbox).... This game is great but this is where I get bored with the game...... How long can you actually play this game...... I am a person who likes to try new games and I could not play this for hours on end......It was fun for a little bit then It got boring.... Expand
  82. Jul 5, 2015
    I started playing Minecraft in 2009, while it was on Beta 1.8 state (I think so), the game was so fun to play with friends and blah blah blah, fun at all.
    The Final Version was a blast, bug-fixes, graphical updates, new items, and yeah.
    Then, the 1.4 version really screwed up the game, they tried to make Minecraft an RPG, then 1.6 with horses and yes...

From 10 to 7, nice job, Mojang.
  83. Sep 10, 2015
    Minecraft starts out really fun. You must build, survive and fight. However, after a while, Creative Mode (where you are immortal and build anything, with immediate access to all the materials) can get boring, Survival Mode can become sort of repetitive, and before you know it your closing your computer after an hour or less.
  84. Aug 29, 2016
    Well so what can i say about this Game?

What made the biggest negative impact was every patch above 1.7.10. Most of the mods are not compatible with higher versions so i guess the modders feel same.

You atleast need optifine to not immediately kill yourself.
    Eats Ram like hot dogs.
    If you got a chance to get it for less than 20€ then do it. Not worth more than 10 bucks tbh.
  85. Apr 15, 2016
    Minecraft...oh boy, where do i even begin?. When i had the age of 10 or 11 it was actually one of my favorite games and still is a lot of fun to play and i actually started a new playthrough a few moths ago and the i just...dropped it...

STORY: You appear out of nowhere!!...go mine and attack stuff to survive...THE END. PRESENTATION: This is usually the first thing that people bring

PRESENTATION: This is usually the first thing that people bring up to critic this game and honestly i don't know why. I actually rather like this mixture between a retro-cubic-3D style of graphics and i don't think a construction game like this would've been possible without them.

The music is made up of different piano pieces and i feel like they fit very well. But the one thing that this games lacks is a stable frame rate, since the graphics are so basic you would think that this would run well, right?...RIGHT?, well no, the game runs very poorly even in the lowest settings and i don't even know the resolution is on.

GAMEPLAY: Minecraft is a...umm... Building/Combat/Platform/RPG/MMO??....i think. I don't know really what this game is really. There's 3 different modes in the single player and there's also a Multiplayer mode, but i will focus more on the Single Player since that's what i play the most in my games.

The mechanics are very simple. You use the W, A, S and D keys to move and you use the mouse to face the direction you wanna go. There's 2 motions that you do in this game: Mine and place, and you use the left and right clicky things on the mouse respectably to do them. They do exactly what the sound, you mine things or hit things depending on what your mining and when you do so the block or enemy that you mined or killed respectably will drop an item that you can put in your inventory. You can have 9 items in the "Use" inventory and by pressing E you will bring up the rest of it that will allow you to have more stuff with you. Aside from that you also have 4 extra spaces to the side of your character and depending on the item and pattern that you put in those 4 spaces, you can craft something, if you do a crafting table you are able to put 9 things on the "Craft spaces" and you can create different tools, armor blocks, etc.

The right clicky thing on the mouse is used to interact with different things and defend yourself with the newly implemented shield that you put on your extra slot or...you know...you can put anything on there so you can use both of you hands. You also the right clicky thing on the mouse to place blocks on top of other blocks and construct...pretty much anything. You have a hunger meter that depletes over time and to keep it full you will need food from animals or your own harvest, why do you need to keep it full?, well the hunger meter will refill your health when you take damage and if it depletes 100% it will hurt you and leave you with the half of your last hearth.

Minecraft respects this mechanics in all of its different modes like:

Survival: You have limited resources, Limited health and hunger and if you can respawn. There's 3 difficulty settings and you just...have to survive.

Hardcore: In this mode the difficulty is locked to Hard and you can only die once, if you do that world will be deleted.

Creative: You can fly, you can break anything, you can spawn things at pleasure and you have unlimited resources. If you came here to build stuff...this is for you.

There's some enemies in this game like Zombies, that just move around and attack you, Creepers that explode if they get to close, Withes that throw potions, Esqueletos that shoot arrows, the list goes on and on.

Finally there's 3 bosses in this game: The Ender Dragon which is pathetically easy. The wither which you have to build your self by putting 3 wither skeletons heads (that you get on this games other dimension, the Nether) and soul sand...and he is very easy too. Finally there's the Guardian, he lives underwater and he's a pain on the butt to kill. All of these bosses will give you a reward like a Dragon Egg, a Nether star and a...sponge...uh.

Now, i can go on and on about what you can do and can't do in this game because i haven't even mentioned the different Biome, the different blocks, the different minerals, the Multiplayer, the experience and...man this game is just overwhelming.

I mentioned before that i dropped my game and that's because...there's too much to do and i feel that Minecraft lacks focus, plus most of the things in Minecraft requiere so much time and dedication that i just got bored.

I am planing to go back to that save one day or another to finish what i was doing, but for now i have school and other games to occupy my time.

Now for the score...out of all the games that i reviewed so far, i haven't had so much trouble on putting a score. This is a game that really, REALLY depends on your taste for video games. Personally i really like building games so i really like Minecraft, but i feel it can be really boring at times.

I'll give it a 7/10.
  86. Apr 27, 2016
    In my opinion Minecraft is overrated as hell. It's an fine game, but nothing more than that. It's original, but also simple. Keep in mind though that I'm rating the vanilla game here. I'm not including the vast amount of mods that are made for this game in my rating.
  87. Aug 22, 2016
    Extensos modos de juego algo mas cortos en un jugador en los típicos modos de juego. Si quieres salirte del los modos de juego por defecto necesitaras mapas, comandos, servidores o mods; eso si completamente gratis. Por lo contrario a pesar de ser free to play necesitaras pagar para que los demás usuarios puedan ver tu skin y poder tener acceso a servidores premium. Gráficos muy sencillosExtensos modos de juego algo mas cortos en un jugador en los típicos modos de juego. Si quieres salirte del los modos de juego por defecto necesitaras mapas, comandos, servidores o mods; eso si completamente gratis. Por lo contrario a pesar de ser free to play necesitaras pagar para que los demás usuarios puedan ver tu skin y poder tener acceso a servidores premium. Gráficos muy sencillos pero que le dan mucha mas jugabilidad al juego y por lo tanto hasta el peor ordenador del mercado podría iniciarlo pero por lo contrario no muy buena optimización en cuanto a FPS en dispositivos normales los que podría suponer tener que bajar la calidad de gráficos o descarga de programas externos para la mejora de estos Expand
  88. Oct 25, 2015
    It will fill your time, but the irritation is how it compares to the promised product. I've gotten days of enjoyment out of this game. I still play it every now and then. At the very beginning, it was cross-platform, easy to set up a server, and just play. Then came the promises and the failures to deliver. The game still isn't open source, still doesn't have a proper modding API, andIt will fill your time, but the irritation is how it compares to the promised product. I've gotten days of enjoyment out of this game. I still play it every now and then. At the very beginning, it was cross-platform, easy to set up a server, and just play. Then came the promises and the failures to deliver. The game still isn't open source, still doesn't have a proper modding API, and still uses placeholder art from its earliest alpha. Not to mention, but all the features introduced in later patches have just been incomplete fluff and half-baked nonsense. Expand
  89. Nov 24, 2011
    Disclaimer: Played every version since 1.2 alpha. As a game, it sucks. As a game, it sucks. The ending is poorly done an innovative compared to the other concepts in the game. After these newer updates, minecraft has become seemingly random. It started as a creativity game, but started getting odd RPG elements like leveling, dragon bosses, fortresses, and enchanting. All of which seemDisclaimer: Played every version since 1.2 alpha. As a game, it sucks. As a game, it sucks. The ending is poorly done an innovative compared to the other concepts in the game. After these newer updates, minecraft has become seemingly random. It started as a creativity game, but started getting odd RPG elements like leveling, dragon bosses, fortresses, and enchanting. All of which seem prehistoric compared to modern games. If you are looking for enjoyment, it is in the building. That is where this game soars. It's awesome to build castles and mines, but I wish it hadn't strayed so much. I blame Notch's laziness. Notch slowed his updates to a crawl once he got rich and started vacationing most of the time. Minecon's high ticket price makes me think that it was for-profit and it make it harder to respect the MineCraft game/company. So, overall, MineCraft ended up as a messy, unfinished game with strange elements, but being creative can lead to lots of fun. You just have to come up with the creativity yourself. Expand
  90. Feb 1, 2011
    Minecraft is an excellent game, no doubt about it. The gameplay is simple yet completely addictive, enough so that most people can play it for hours and not get bored. However that being said, it's novelty will wear off after a while. There's only so many things you can do with a bunch of blocks. This game is definitely well worth the price of admission, though, because you will mostMinecraft is an excellent game, no doubt about it. The gameplay is simple yet completely addictive, enough so that most people can play it for hours and not get bored. However that being said, it's novelty will wear off after a while. There's only so many things you can do with a bunch of blocks. This game is definitely well worth the price of admission, though, because you will most likely play it for longer than most blockbuster titles while paying less than half the price. Expand
  91. Dec 12, 2011
    A very fun game at Beta when Notch was developing it. Went downhill fast after 1.0 (full release version). Put it this way, the game was worth it in BETA, not so much in it's current state. The Full Retail seems rushed and not complete.

BETA - The Beta was fun, building large complex structures is great, especially in Multiplayer. Singleplayer gets old real fast, unless you're into building stuff out of the world stuff like a 1 to 1 scale of Middle Earth and have no life.

Full Retail - Like I mentioned, feels very rushed and incomplete. While the Beta was fun and full of anticipation, the Full Retail adds little while adding what seems to be 'a lot' on the surface. In other words, inconsistent.

Here's hoping that Notch will continue supporting the game, because the Retail version isn't the minecraft I enjoyed in Beta.
  92. Feb 8, 2012
    I must write this review to remind all of you of one fact that was brought up in the famous review by BestGamersOfUSA.....the game was not completed on release. It is a fine game as itself, definitely fun with friends, but there were many features promised that were not delivered (NPCs actually doing something, leveling system finished and actually doing something, etc). The main point ofI must write this review to remind all of you of one fact that was brought up in the famous review by BestGamersOfUSA.....the game was not completed on release. It is a fine game as itself, definitely fun with friends, but there were many features promised that were not delivered (NPCs actually doing something, leveling system finished and actually doing something, etc). The main point of this game is to build stuff (being anything honestly), which is fine as itself, but there is a survival aspect that we cannot forget. As much as I would love to just keep writing on and on about the actual flaws, I just implore you guys to watch the review I was talking about earlier, it brings up every point I was going to bring up anyways. It's fun enough, but I'm being nice considering that if this game was not in beta the whole time and was released with no one having any idea what to expect, they would have found a really **** game. The long beta and popularity base saved this game, not the game itself. And even then, the beta didn't help fix that it was an incomplete game that was released anyways. Expand
  93. Dec 28, 2011
    Minecraft invented a whole new genre of games, but It's not like it used to be. There are some new features every update, but back when only Notch coded the game every friday new features were added in a secret update. Notch promised a lot of features for the final game, which never made it into the game yet.
    Also, the game is full of bugs and since it's no indie game anymore, they should at least try to keep the game bug-free. Minecraft is a good game, but it's not what it used to be - there are tons of other better games on the market.
  94. Jan 21, 2012
    This review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull butThis review is on a personal perspective so alot of people may disagree with me. I had high hopes with the game since everyone talks about it and youtube is filled with MC videos but when I played it, it was ok. I got pretty bored faster didn't understand what was so addicting about stacking blocks on top of each other. so basicaly it wasn't my type of game. this review is pretty dull but idc atleast it isnt trolling 0/10 Expand
  95. Feb 10, 2012
    MINECRAFT (V.1.0 REVIEWED): An indie game that you guys have been waited for. After playing the BETA version, I can't wait for the complete version to be released. Unfortunately there's a little disappointment here. Is it just me or the Minecraft is getting more RPG-ish? I mean what's with all these potions and boss battles? I just want a simple game that allows me to mine stuff and makeMINECRAFT (V.1.0 REVIEWED): An indie game that you guys have been waited for. After playing the BETA version, I can't wait for the complete version to be released. Unfortunately there's a little disappointment here. Is it just me or the Minecraft is getting more RPG-ish? I mean what's with all these potions and boss battles? I just want a simple game that allows me to mine stuff and make my own mining company. I liked that kind of game, especially when it's in the First Person Perspective. Oh yes, there's the BuildCraft mod. I want that mod to be the whole game! I just want miners and assistant for me just to.. You know, mine stuff? I liked the idea of dungeons and abadoned structures inside the world, but the game just can't focus on the mining aspects, but instead it's focusing on Dungeon Crawling RPGs. I think that's what the game was supposed to be, but I want more mining options in the later version. That's my main problem in the game. But so far, it's an Okay game. I can't rate it higher because this simple game can't run in a simple netbook. So one suggestions to Mojang, can you guys built-in the Optifine mod inside the game? There are tons of mods that can fix the game and tweak the game too, but the Vanilla isn't a recommendation for you guys. It's addicting, but disappointing too. I'm sorry guys, I love you Notch, I love you Minecraft, but I'm expecting more than just a Dungeon Crawling Adventure. I want you guys to focus on Mining. That's all. [6/10] "Okay" Expand
  96. Oct 23, 2011
    Minecraft is an alright bit of harmless fun, but after you've built what you've wanted to build and explored a bit, I found it rather forgettable. The graphics are alright and there are very few enemies, zombies, skeletons, creepers, endermen, spider jockeys, spiders, cows, pigs, chickens, sheep and wolves compared to something like Terraria which has 45 and the cows, pigs, chickens andMinecraft is an alright bit of harmless fun, but after you've built what you've wanted to build and explored a bit, I found it rather forgettable. The graphics are alright and there are very few enemies, zombies, skeletons, creepers, endermen, spider jockeys, spiders, cows, pigs, chickens, sheep and wolves compared to something like Terraria which has 45 and the cows, pigs, chickens and sheep aren't really even classified as enemies. Many people are HUGE fans of minecraft, but I didn't find the charm that Minecraft addicts find in the game. Although, if you are a sandbox fan boy, minecraft can't be recommended enough because it is the ultimate sandbox game.(And it's cheap!) Collapse
  97. Nov 16, 2011
    This is as bare minimum as a PC game can get. It is more of an App than a full game. I think that it would fit better on the iPhone than the PC. It is already on Android, so why not the iPhone? Mobile devices are where it belongs. On a PC, it leaves much to be desired. Maybe if I had never played Garrys Mod I would have liked it more...
  98. Jul 11, 2012
    Minecraft... It's spread like some plague. Every kid on the block now loves Minecraft. diamond pickaxe this an' Yogscast that. At one point, I was one of those people but now, I've lost interest.
    With update after update Mojang put in little things, from TESTIFICATES (thats what I call them now :P) to new biomes, but to be honest, It isn't enough!
    If you don't know what Minecraft is,
    If you don't know what Minecraft is, you've probably been living under a rock, but for those 3 people...
    Minecraft is an open-ended experience where you wander around a bright and colourful world composed of blocks: this is a major characteristic of Minecraft because the game allows you to break the aforementioned blocks with tools to get materials. You can then use these materials to do whatever you feel like. At first glance it looks like a boner-fide lego clone, but then you see a skeleton ride a spider, then the lego comparison goes out the window.
    The game has you survive the dangerous night-time. monsters tend to spawn in darkness so when it gets dark, they come in packs. This is where you usually start to dig undergound to find important ores like iron and coal. If you're lucky you may find lapiz lazuli of even diamond. This gives Minecraft an addictive edge. You want to find diamond, but it's rare, so you gotta dig deeper and deeper and... deeper... ugh.
    since the official release the game now has mines and strongholds underground which gives a bit of spice to going down-under: you may find labrynthene, albeit very repetitive structures that you can explore and... not much else. they are just there, with not much of a purpose.
    The graphics are simplistic, but not distractingly so. true they can be a bit boring at times, but you can always just download a texture pack to resolve that. The music is great, full of atmosphere, but I do wish that there were more tracks. what's there though is fantastic.
    Y'see, I should like this game, but after a while, I start to get really REALLY bored. there's only so much building, wandering and scouring the undergrouth for materials I can do before it really wears on me. If it didn't for you, great but Minecraft in my opinion is WAAAAAAAY over-rated. the official release doesen't have enough new content to really call it a finished game.
    I know i'm not gonna change anybody's mind, because you have already dicided: you either love or hate the game. I fall somewhere in between.
  99. Nov 21, 2011
    This is a very unique and fun game. I had quite a bit of fun with it. The only real issue I have with it is that it is JUST a sandbox game. There's no true goal. There are no rewards or punishment for performance. I still like it, and I still log in and play for a while every update, but after a while there's just not much more to do. It looks like there are some planned updates thatThis is a very unique and fun game. I had quite a bit of fun with it. The only real issue I have with it is that it is JUST a sandbox game. There's no true goal. There are no rewards or punishment for performance. I still like it, and I still log in and play for a while every update, but after a while there's just not much more to do. It looks like there are some planned updates that might change this in the future though. I say buy it and play it, just don't expect it to be a game you play forever (Unless you REALLY like building things.) Expand
  100. Nov 23, 2011
    I am a serious gamer, i play games that fulfil all game mechanics - characters, storyline, gameplay etc. And when i sat down and played this game, i thought why am i playing this. It has no storyline, no campaign, no real characters. So how can a game that defies all of these aspects even sell 1 copy. I eventually found myself enjoying making something out of mined pieces, but only forI am a serious gamer, i play games that fulfil all game mechanics - characters, storyline, gameplay etc. And when i sat down and played this game, i thought why am i playing this. It has no storyline, no campaign, no real characters. So how can a game that defies all of these aspects even sell 1 copy. I eventually found myself enjoying making something out of mined pieces, but only for about 17 minutes. For those with simply entertained minds i would reccommend this game, however for serious gamers, you may as well have a go at it, but i would not reccommend purchasing it. Expand
  101. Oct 23, 2011

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. games(TM)
    Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]