Miner Wars 2081 PC

6.0

1. Nov 28, 2012
    I want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/downI want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/down button, the equivalent of jump and crouch in action games, that would make flying in this game much better. I'm not really enjoying the combat mechanics that much. There's no shield. Once the enemy hits your armor, you are SOL - there's no way to repair a ship, unless you find one of the repair boxes or buy a repair kit. There's no rechargeable shield, and I find myself replaying battles too many times, even on normal difficulty. I tried the mining part, and am not really impressed by it: the screen shakes and there's black dust covering half the screen. This gives me 5 credits, if sold, and my ship can hold about 16 units. A repair kit costs 6000 credits. I really don't see myself mining for hours in this game.

I don't really understand why I have to run out of fuel so quickly.
  2. Dec 1, 2012
    Do not buy this game for multiplayer. As of the time of this post, multiplayer is only working for a minority of people. Do not buy this expecting a sandbox-ish open world game.

This game is still in a very beta stage. Graphics are on par with the 10 year old Freelancer.

Still giving a 5 as it's current single-player is fun despite the always-on DRM.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    This is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start lookingThis is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start looking at the key mapping, it doesn't pause and the baddies keep shooting you while you're trying to work it out. Loading times are also very long, but they provide an excuse. Sound is fairly tame, and there's no sense of real physics. When you stop your spaceship's throttle, your ship suddenly stops. Not at all realistic, but the alternative would make for trickier gameplay. Time will tell whether it's worth $20. I'm going to play it some more, for sure. It is different, at least. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2012
    Once you get things setup correctly you can almost play it. The Internet connection requirement when the game starts is the worst DRM one can have. There are lots of bugs (going from full armor to no armor in 1 hit for example). the game just isn't good.
  5. Dec 26, 2012
    I recently purchased this game on steam as I have gained a lot of interest in the space sim genre and didn't care about the multiplayer nor single player but only the interesting sandbox mode where i could mine asteroids. On the first day I couldn't even play the game as it has always on DRM and couldn't connect to the servers.

On the second day:today: I was able to connect to the

On the second day:today: I was able to connect to the servers but only to be able to play single player if I wanted to play multiplayer I would have to contact the games customer support. First thing in game I was dropped into a lame mission with zero orientation as to the mechanics (though I was able to figure them out with a bit of effort on my part) other than this is the history. The mission glitchy forcing me to roam around before it recognized I was on the objective marker, mining is tedious and not made up for by the destruction physics which aren't even used but exist more as a novelty or for multiplayer. When I finally finished the mission the travel mechanic was entirely unituitive forcing you to have to zoom in on a tiny square of the world map to which I didn't care as I believe I had finally gotten to the open world part before the game crashed. I honestly suspect this game is still in beta as its mechanics don't seem to work very well.

In conclusion the game doesn't work correctly, has always on DRM that is not advertised, and is missing core mechanics from the steam store advertisement. Avoid this game there are way better space sims coming down the road.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Fans of the old Descent games will go mental, no doubt about it. Miner Wars 2081 will also be a blast for gamers that want a sci-fi space shooter with an interesting story, charming setting and solid gameplay. [March 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 7, 2013
    Developer Keen Software House has overextended its reach. [March 2013, p.90]
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Miner Wars is a game with great potential, perhaps wasted. Defects are many: poor IA, complex level design, technical sector not great increase the sense of frustration that might have been.