6.1

1. May 5, 2013
    Has great potential, but ultimately fails spectacularly due to some idiotic game design decisions.

The game has a weird handling model, but as it's a cartoony RC game it's forgivable and something you soon get accustomed to. The visuals are nice enough and there is a wide choice of cars.

The main problem with the game is the AI competition, which is vastly unfair. Races will turn out
    one of two ways: either you get away cleanly, or you will get smashed into by another car and a huge pile-up will ensue while another of the AI drivers gains a huge advantage.

Collision physics are laughably bad, with cars sticking to one another and the scenery, and very iffy collision detection means that you can easily collide with objects that are nowhere near you. Traffic cones are apparently made of solid iron, and running over a stray tyre can flip your car entirely.

More alarmingly, the AI is shockingly bad at actually driving around the track, but hell bent on making your life a misery, deliberately targeting you to stop you from succeeding. The slightest touch on your car will send it into a spin or into some scenery, while it takes a huge amount of effort to spin out an AI. Even if you do manage to spin out an AI, its car will magically recover and overtake you before you have the chance to get away.

So, the game degenerates into a restart-fest, because unless you get away cleanly from the start line, there is almost no point continuing the race.

Tracks and environments are varied enough, but earnings from race winnings are so meagre you will end up grinding the same ones over and over, and make no sense. 3 laps round a beginner track? Have $250. 7 laps round intermediate? You only get $175.

Not to mention that certain car upgrades are vital to win, but when they double in price each time, there's little incentive to play through the same races over and over to earn enough cash. Car not fast enough? Have a speed upgrade, at $4000. Enjoy your 20 races of $200 to get there.

Bugs abound too, with cars regularly disappearing through the floor and nitros being wildly unpredictable.

This might be worth a couple of dollars on a mobile phone, and entertain for an hour or so, but this kind of game is just insulting to PC gamers, especially priced at $10. Even the Steam Workshop support won't be enough to save this one, as it doesn't matter how many tracks fans come up with, if every race degenerates into an ugly crash fest unless you can get away quickly enough to dominate and never see another car, it's not a racing game, it's just a really poor attempt at a crashing simulator.
  2. May 9, 2013
    This is bad, I mean really bad. Even if it looks decent, the controls are terrible. If you're trying to make a turn, you're going to have difficulties with that, since if you hold a direction a bit too long, and you'll spin out, or just slam yourself into the closest wall, and yet slightest tap doesn't cut it, so you have to hope you hit that 0.1ms (exaggerating a bit) long sweetspot. Plus the fact, that you lose like 4/5 of your speed when you even slightly scratch the wall is really annoying. I really couldn't play more than few minutes of this game, it just feels terrible from the start, and learning to decently drive in that game is a waste of time, since you're probably not going to find another person who's willing to go through that hell. This is bad, I do not recommend it at all. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    The game is really good. This game is not to be realistic. Portal and Team Fortress levels are so funny. I have to play
  4. May 23, 2013
    I have really enjoyed the precurser to this game (Mini Motor Racing) on my Android phone so I jumped at the chance to play a PC version. Its just as good as the mobile version. It is very easy to start with but once you progress it gets harder. Once your car spec is maxed out you have no way to win other than to improve your skills. Great fun. Well worth the cash.
  5. AWG
    Jun 8, 2013
    My computer perfectly runs F1 2012 with all video settings maximized and still this game lags terribly if there are more than 3 cars on screen at the same time. Yes, graphics are nice but requirements are just ridicolous for a game that's basically a micro machine mobile game ported on PC.
    It can be fun sometimes but that's rare: you'll spend most of the time raging and that's not what
    I'm looking for in a game. Great waste of potential. Play Bang Bang Racing instead. Expand
  6. Aug 7, 2014
    omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!! omg!!!
  7. Mar 8, 2014
    Nothing special, but a lot of mindless fun, at least to me, all very simple. It's casual, but have a grinding component that keeps me playing, although the rewards are too sparse.

The worst part is the annoying AI. The AI opponents are not dumb, but they will forget the race just to crash on you. Sometimes you even start and they bang on, one by one, leaving you trying to recover the
    race. They are experts on doing that, it's like developers wanted to troll us. The scenery have some glitches you may learn.

It's exactly what you get on mostly 10 dollar game. Something fun, you feel that lacks some polish, not much depth or resources. But still enjoyable, funny and a little addictive, but the AI doesn't let you play a lot of time without losing patience, may be a good thing.
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    Amazing top down racing game with nearly all the bugs worked out now. Could have better ranked multi-player as well as possibly a battle mode but I'm truly impressed with the rest of the game. The controls are perfect with a joypad once you get used to them. I hope the developers continue to work on this game. I can see it blowing up with people interested in top down racing games or causal racing like Mario Kart. Fingers crossed on more content. Would totally buy some DLC. Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2013
    It's pretty fun and cool when you give it a few tries, but it starts to get repetitive after 17-20 races due to the A.I. "un-cleverness". It is also too easy to win. Another thing that ruins the experience is the track designer! It is pretty much tasteless because of the scarce options that they give to the players. They shouldn't even add a designer into the game!

But it doesn't mean
    it's that bad. It has a decent amount of cars you can drive, physics are fun to mess around with, the tracks are colorful, and they contain two of Valve's own tracks and cars! I like to play this game whenever I'm bored or under the weather. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Even last year’s Bang Bang Racing, which is far from perfect, is better than MMR EVO. Here is hoping that one day a talented studio would come and properly revive the concept of micro machines racing.
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    Don't get fooled by its funny and nice graphics, Mini Motor Racing EVO can be cruel and harsh. Its arcade driving style is flawed by questionable design choices, which perfectly suit games like these only on mobile scene.