Mirror's Edge Catalyst PC

User Score
3.8

Generally unfavorable reviews- based on 434 Ratings

User score distribution:
Buy On

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. Jun 12, 2016
    2
    Did they put just 10 people to develop this game in 6 months or what ?
    Like said before, the open world thing is bull*hit, you have to take the same paths back and forth all over again, boring -_-
    Add repetitive useless combat, not so good visuals, boring story...
    I didn't even finish it and watched the ending on youtube just for the sake of it.
  2. Jun 8, 2016
    4
    In short:

    Backtracking Simulator 2016 In detail: I'm so very disappointed with this title; I really had faith (haha) that it would be just as good if not better than the original. It's beautiful, no doubt about it, and it runs fantastically, as most DICE games do, but holy crap the rest of it can't hold up. Game play is repetitive in the worst way, the combat is unreasonably
    In short:

    Backtracking Simulator 2016

    In detail:

    I'm so very disappointed with this title; I really had faith (haha) that it would be just as good if not better than the original. It's beautiful, no doubt about it, and it runs fantastically, as most DICE games do, but holy crap the rest of it can't hold up.

    Game play is repetitive in the worst way, the combat is unreasonably hard in some places, and the story can be guessed very easily! Another huge disappointment is the open world; I thought it'd be awesome but I found it very tedious to have to walk back and forth across the map 30 or so times just for the main missions.Fast travel would be fantastic!

    Overall I cannot recommend this game at this price, period. Wait for a sale for like $20 or so. It's a shame, really it is.
    Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2016
    3
    How do you make an original idea turn into a pile of crap, give a development team 8 years and force an unwanted open world system into a game. The game has lost its fast paced nature, too much time going from point A to point B, there is too much down time. Way to go DICE/EA, another franchise has been ruined, well done guys.
  4. Jun 7, 2016
    4
    Disappointment of the decade. Awful lifeless characters, Awful level design, Awful story, Awful combat mechanics,.. But it looks graphically really good (if we forget that face and head design of the characters is very unnatural and inhumane) and it sounds fairly good. Gameplay in general seems OK but there's this constant feeling of something being wrong. The game is repetitive tooDisappointment of the decade. Awful lifeless characters, Awful level design, Awful story, Awful combat mechanics,.. But it looks graphically really good (if we forget that face and head design of the characters is very unnatural and inhumane) and it sounds fairly good. Gameplay in general seems OK but there's this constant feeling of something being wrong. The game is repetitive too without added challenge. This game really didn't need to be open world title. Open world stuff is just huge wasted potential in this game because it isn't properly being utilised. But oh god, the architecture of the city and graphics are so good. Expand
  5. Jun 7, 2016
    4
    Dear DICE, if you claim you are making an open world game, make it open world, not just hopping along the rooftops. We did that in the last game. Open world should have been street level running, bouncing off cars, climbing up buildings from ground level. That would have been a good leap forward. Also thank goodness for the ESC key on my keyboard, did you even employ someone to writeDear DICE, if you claim you are making an open world game, make it open world, not just hopping along the rooftops. We did that in the last game. Open world should have been street level running, bouncing off cars, climbing up buildings from ground level. That would have been a good leap forward. Also thank goodness for the ESC key on my keyboard, did you even employ someone to write the story or just came up with something bland and pointless, skip, skip , skip those pointless pace ruining cut-scenes. My suggestion to people that haven't bought this yet, wait till xmas when it will be about $10. Expand
  6. Jun 7, 2016
    2
    Perfect Summary: This game is a perfect example of how to f*** up an awesome concept. This sequel is worse than its predecessor in almost every way. Thanks EA, great job as usual
  7. Jun 8, 2016
    1
    Отвратительная поделка не игра. Нахрен такое вообще делать? Для кого? Для людей, которым понравилась 1-я часть? На них как раз наплевали, изменили все что притягивало в той игре: стильный белый город- превратили в бездушное пластиковое нечто, в котором просто скучно перемещаться, поразительное ощущение присутствия от паркура- похерили порезав все звуки издаваемые персонажем, осталосьОтвратительная поделка не игра. Нахрен такое вообще делать? Для кого? Для людей, которым понравилась 1-я часть? На них как раз наплевали, изменили все что притягивало в той игре: стильный белый город- превратили в бездушное пластиковое нечто, в котором просто скучно перемещаться, поразительное ощущение присутствия от паркура- похерили порезав все звуки издаваемые персонажем, осталось только какое-то чиркание тапками по паркету, как будто играешь за робота который даже не дышит, а не за человека который совершает немыслимые кульбиты. Да и вид от персонажа отдалился, как будто наблюдаешь съемку камеры "гоупро" которая закреплена на полметра выше над башкой этого "робота". Очевидно что погнались за широкой публикой ведь первой части в основную вину ставили скомканный сюжет, коридорность локаций и затянутые сцены перестрелок, и они прикрутили эту унылую усыпляющую сюжетку в виде нескончаемых катсцен, пустой скучный открытый мир и бесконечные шлепки по попках тупых антагонистов. Браво! Ведь именно этого так ждали все эти 6 лет. Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2016
    2
    After the first episode I am really disappointed about Catalyst. It is a heartless, boring and forgettable action game with all of feature that players hate in AAA games like AC and those kind of sh*ts.
  9. Jun 17, 2016
    0
    Uninspired, boring, badly optimized, with poor characterization, broken single player due to hanging cut scenes and the usual removal and censorship of negative reviews. Disappointing but not surprising from a company that care so little for its customers. Where I come from we give poor products zero. Way to lose customers DICE.
  10. Jun 17, 2016
    1
    The first game was decent and fun to play. I didn't find any enjoyment with the last title. Really a poor job from the developers who didn't care about the details and put minimum effort in shaping this game. This won't get the series anywhere but down the drain. Whomever EA consulted in making this game clearly knows very little about the gamer mindset, that is enjoying a decent story aThe first game was decent and fun to play. I didn't find any enjoyment with the last title. Really a poor job from the developers who didn't care about the details and put minimum effort in shaping this game. This won't get the series anywhere but down the drain. Whomever EA consulted in making this game clearly knows very little about the gamer mindset, that is enjoying a decent story a and playing an immersive adventure with good gameplay mechanics. This is not the game fans of Mirror's Edge were hoping for. Expand
  11. Jun 13, 2016
    4
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The main problem I have is that the game pretty much throws immersion out the window and leaves you with so many "why" questions.

    You have to unlock skills like knowing how to roll.

    You run around collecting floating letters like you would in a tony hawk game.

    All delivery quests have a time limit of around a minute, while the package has probably been there for a long time, whats the hurry?

    You can do "dashes" which have you run a course in as fast a way as possible, and at the end you can see how well you did compared to others. This is fun except that you're not running against people with the same amounts of upgrades as you, why?

    Why is Faith bulletproof? Why is Faith so superhumanly strong? Why is faith?

    Please let me be on the ground.

    There are soooo many "side quests" which are just things like running a course, destroying a pillar then running away and so on. These things are enjoyable but only in the way that junk food is enjoyable, while junk food is bad for your health these side quests are just plain bad, They only prolong the gaming experience. You could argue that they force you to explore more of the world they have created, but in reality you aren't going to see very much you haven't seen after two hours of running on rooftops. The places that are cool looking are either in the main quest or places you cant get to (the ground).

    For the most part I didn't like anything besides the main story, so why don't I just skip the 50% of the game I dislike and just play what I do like? Well there's a problem that some players experience with the cinematic cutscenes, where the sound is desynced and you're lucky if you can watch them with even 2fps. I myself have this problem so at this point there isn't very much for me to enjoy.

    The game might be enjoyable in its finished state but right now it's not, definitely not worth 59.99€, just download it.
    Expand
  12. Jun 20, 2016
    2
    Boring game. All this game is is time trials and nothing more. For an open world game, it's a terrible idea to make every side mission a tedious time trial with no variety. Why even make it open world if you lack the ideas and inspiration to make the missions varied and fun? Just stick to the old style and make well designed sandbox missions. The parkour is well done I will give the devsBoring game. All this game is is time trials and nothing more. For an open world game, it's a terrible idea to make every side mission a tedious time trial with no variety. Why even make it open world if you lack the ideas and inspiration to make the missions varied and fun? Just stick to the old style and make well designed sandbox missions. The parkour is well done I will give the devs that much but that's where the good things end. There is only so much enjoyment you can squeeze out of the parkour system because the game is lacking in most other areas. The story and characters are very lacking and you have no emotional connection with any of them. The missions are uninspired and mostly require you to find a set path without the need for exploration. The combat is functional and rather easy (for most enemies, have them chase you, run up a wall, turn around (unlockable skill) and do a take down), but you won't have any fun with it. The side missions are all time trials with a very tight time limitation, I mean very tight. You will keep losing the objective because you were few meters away when the timer ran out. Go all the way back and try again. Not fun at all. Don't buy this game now and don't buy it on sale. Just get the original if you really want to see what this series is about. Expand
  13. Jun 11, 2016
    0
    This game sucks.

    The openWorld is bad. It doesn't match to Mirror's Edge. The Challanges (time Sidequest / Runs / etc) are to hard for normal Players ... The Controls are the worse of all.... I want my Money back -.-
  14. Jun 17, 2016
    3
    Game comes out with broken cut scenes. Single player is unplayable therefore. EA acknowledged the problem, but turned into complete ignore, unwilling to fix.
  15. Jun 12, 2016
    1
    I'm a heavy Mirrors edge fan here is the deal I will be clear and no ****

    If I have to compare this to old 2008 one I say CATALYST: Negative: -Reboot, but at least this nothing to do with 2008 so 2008 was not ruined by this. -The story was better in 2008 it was hardly predictable, unlike this, and a bad romance thing here and there -MAGRope was uninteresting and ugly, why a
    I'm a heavy Mirrors edge fan here is the deal I will be clear and no ****

    If I have to compare this to old 2008 one I say
    CATALYST:

    Negative:
    -Reboot, but at least this nothing to do with 2008 so 2008 was not ruined by this.
    -The story was better in 2008 it was hardly predictable, unlike this, and a bad romance thing here and there
    -MAGRope was uninteresting and ugly, why a runner need this!? I have no clue its not feel I play as a real runner
    -the cameras around the city and the BAGS(secret ones) have a really irritating sounds
    -no more 2d cg-s
    -Badly optimized frostbite is a p.o.s engine, it would be better with UE4
    -Irrational high pc demand even in ultra or hyper with 390 oc you cant get 60fps stable
    -Most cutscene is pre rendered if you play 30fps/30hz then its lock 15 choppy fps if you play 60fps/60hz then the cutscenes go 30fps bravo EA/DICE! why make a game to be standard 60fps experience? so you think everybody can play the game stable 60fps? you know there are more people around the world who have need only 30fps and not need 60fps.
    -ugly characters Icarus (irritating useless guy who always around faith, and talking in radio and he's in faith ass)..,noah (Antonio banderas and retired Nathan drake mixed bad merc copy-cat) nomad ( a lover boy who wants love faith and make ugly graffities) :( no characters was even come close to jackknife or merc,or hell any runners, faith from 2008.
    -Most voice acting/actors is so bad especially faith voice is so bad like she didn't even care the act, jules de jongh was perfect in 2008.
    -no tattoo signal =emblem on runners artistic (concept) is **** up in characters too, now most of the runner use sunglass, and everyday natural cloth and hairstyle and no woman important runner only faith..
    **** up artistically the whole game, (city,characters) drones,drones everywhere, everywhere i look I see drones welcome to the stupid futuristic drones world.
    -Well most but not all Music is SO UGLY! what happens with solar field? they make a awesome work back on 2008!
    -fighting system is irritating! its way worse in every aspect than 2008 was, cmon i kick the enemy once and he is DEAD!? plus the gamebugs every enemy is stuck in the wall!
    -Graphics is so bad, every character except the important ones is washed out! the level textures is washed out!, i swear mirrors edge 2008 have a better graphics!
    -Rhianna Pratchett did a great job on 2008 unlike the new writer
    -Icarus most of time he is there you are, the game would be better with faith alone doing the game missions.
    -wow they did it they gived faith a bigger ass.... That was really important right EA/DICE!? ehhh
    catalyst is nothing more just a artistically **** up and downgraded version of 2008. Congrats EA/DICE you know how to ruin something good, and special, you really good with that.
    -If you are a real mirrors edge fan you not buy this game, at least not full price.
    so we waited for this ugliness 8 year!? bravo EA/DICE! BRAVO

    Positive:
    -DOGAN! he was interesting (WHAT ELSE IS THERE!)
    -some side mission, open world.
    -isabelle kruger was interesting as well
    -Gabriel kruger
    -some music but not all its not a great job like in 2008 was.
    - the story wasn't bad but still like I said up there 2008 was better.
    -The game have some memorable moments with faith and dogan, faith and isabelle kruger.
    -faith wasn't bad but not great like 2008 was, maybe at the ending, just maybe.
    Expand
  16. Jun 9, 2016
    1
    First one was better in every possible way. Don't waste your time and money on more ''STREAMLINED'' trash.

    The word disappointment was is a perfect fit for this new bland and generic cash-grab.
  17. Jun 9, 2016
    0
    Terrible performance on all gpu's except 1070/1080....
    denuvo protection
    They tried to make a good sequel but failed hard.
    Wouldn't recommend to buy this for full or even discounted price.
  18. Jun 11, 2016
    0
    Did you actually think EA/DICE would change their ways just to make this game? Lots of EA shills in the review section trying to defend this latest entry to EA's list of botched franchises.
  19. Jun 8, 2016
    0
    It was too hard to spoil the great formula of original game: clean level design, short story, which was on a background, great gameplay, aesthetic graphics and no excess things. So, EA&Dice made it. They fkd up all simplicity of the game.
    There is few things i want you to tell:
    1) RPG system. Yes, i hate new games with RPG system which exists only because it's trendy and all new games
    It was too hard to spoil the great formula of original game: clean level design, short story, which was on a background, great gameplay, aesthetic graphics and no excess things. So, EA&Dice made it. They fkd up all simplicity of the game.
    There is few things i want you to tell:
    1) RPG system. Yes, i hate new games with RPG system which exists only because it's trendy and all new games have it. Roll from start? Forget about it, farm EXP and u will unlock the roll. It's so lame.
    2) Story as a basis. I love original game because of stupid story which was so invisible. But in this game story is a whole game. Not for gamers, but developers. They put so much time to make a story which consists of only cliché, but this game never needs a good story. The whole original game rested on simplicity. Simple movement, simple gameplay (but very entertaining), simple story and clean design.
    3) Optimization. I have never expected my GTX970 and i5 4690 can't handle ME:C in 1080p. Freezes, texture glitches and uploading textures pissed me off.
    4) Movement. I thought it was impossible to spoil Faith's movement. But they did it. At half it depends on new RPG system, and at other half it depends on "auto-clinging" to all ledges.

    In conclusion i want to say that EA should rethink their own approach to their games. SW:BF was a big bad boring mess. And ME:C didn't go so far.
    Expand
  20. Jun 8, 2016
    0
    A series of good games rolled to the bottom. Charts no. Level design slag. What are the developers tried a few years? Better I replayed the game series in thumbs
  21. Jun 7, 2016
    0
    Did anyone actually think this game would be good? I knew it would be a pile of doodoo from the moment I heard about the new game mechanics. Games today from most of the major studios, EA, Ubisoft, Activison, are all turning out to be awful despite all of their potential. It's just a formula that the business executives include in every game to maximize profits regardless of user experience.
  22. Jun 8, 2016
    3
    TL;DR: The game has terrible heavy-handed and blunt storytelling. The art style, while appealing to cyber-punk fans, has absolutely no place in a Mirror's Edge title. The lack of proper world exploration as well as the elimination of the optional gunplay of the first is a horrible cop-out. The forced tutorials, impossible-to-disable marking of obvious paths and general hand-holdingTL;DR: The game has terrible heavy-handed and blunt storytelling. The art style, while appealing to cyber-punk fans, has absolutely no place in a Mirror's Edge title. The lack of proper world exploration as well as the elimination of the optional gunplay of the first is a horrible cop-out. The forced tutorials, impossible-to-disable marking of obvious paths and general hand-holding throughout is an insult to the player's intelligence. The charm of the original is absent in almost every regard, though superior melee combat is satisfying.

    Art Direction:
    Mirror's Edge took place in a realistically foreseeable future from our own.
    Catalyst, despite being a prequel, would be what life was like if we had already perfected living on Earth and were moving on to colonizing other planets.
    The game is littered with animated billboards which killed any possible chance of a minimalist art style the first game had. I understand why, but it's still far-too heavy-handed an approach to get an idea across.
    The art style is far more Ghost in the Shell than Mirror's Edge. I'm a massive cyberpunk fan, yet I understand this style has absolutely no place in a Mirror's Edge game. I would go so far as to say that given what we were to expect from the first game, it's simply ugly.

    Story:
    The first Mirror's Edge game had a simple story. The story didn't break any boundaries but didn't fall unforgivably short, either.
    Catalyst begins with heavy-handedly telling you why you should dislike the "bad guys."
    Every character you meet is a cliche and has their personality written on their face.
    Cutscenes come off as being poorly written, despite having flawless animation and voice work.

    Difficulty:
    There are no difficulty settings. Thankfully, you can turn Runner Vision off for a slightly harder experience, however, more than half of every parkour-able surface has these atrociously ugly skid marks on them to constantly remind the player that they can run along them. Part of the charm of the hardest difficulty on Mirror's Edge was not being told where it was possible to go next. It was incredibly satisfying to flawlessly execute a successful run using your own wits and quick thinking.

    Much of the beginning of Catalyst has it teaching you what you can do without a way to skip. The game will continue to drill you on combat techniques past the tutorial. If you decide you'd like to engage an enemy in a different way, or skip the enemy altogether, the game will simply reset you to the last checkpoint so it can make you play it the way that it wants you to.

    Combat:
    Easily the redeeming feature of the game, albeit a bit repetitive and forced at times (combat in ME should almost always be optional.) The combat in the first game was fun, and the combat in Catalyst has been improved ten-thousand fold. It's incredibly satisfying to defeat enemies in melee combat, and feels just as unforgiving as the first if you make a mistake, which is a good thing.

    Progression:
    A horribly executed idea. For starters, the game has 9/14 skills already learned for you - why?
    This is unnecessary filler, given that the player will never have these skills taken away from them later in the game. They're as superfluous as adding "running" "breathing" "jumping" as learned abilities.
    All the learnable skills should have been given to the player at start; It should be the player's responsibility to grow and learn how to effectively use these techniques, not locked behind some arbitrary numerical EXP system.

    The world, and other cop-outs:
    The open world is neat, but disappointing. It has a lot of potential, but given you can never travel to the lower altitudes (such as streets) seems like developer laziness. Their explanation is that the streets are too dangerous for Faith, which seems absurd given the amount of patrolling done on the rooftops by Kruger security.
    Additionally, as another cop-out worth mentioning: weapons being DNA-locked to their owners is a terrible excuse to exclude gunplay from this game. Pardoning the fact this technology didn't exist in the first game, the gunplay being a choice was incredibly empowering in the first game. There are numerous scenarios where using weapons against PK security would have been easy, yet the game allowed the player to choose not to use them, either to prove that they were superior fighters that didn't need such an advantage to win, or because they believed that killing others wasn't something that their incarnation of Faith would do. It also allowed such players to have the experience of becoming frustrated or otherwise emotionally affected by their hostility to the point of using their weapons against them, thereby stooping to their enemy's level and having to reflect on this fact.

    These potential experiences are gone simply because the developers decided not to implement gunplay into Catalyst.
    Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2016
    0
    This game is horrible in every single aspect, I don't understand how they managed to fk it up, they had a lot of time. Welp, whoever was in charge of this game should get fired lol
  24. Jun 8, 2016
    3
    Un verdadero desacierto de un juego parkur que lo hallan transformado en un juego de combate , mundo abierto que no tiene de nada ("abierto") que tenga misiones secundaria repetitivas y cansinas y que una flecha te guía . Algo que mas me di-justo fue la inteligencia artificial del enemigo ,que no sabia como seguir el combate .
  25. Jun 7, 2016
    0
    Mushy textures, this looks more like a joke than an actual video game.

    It looks as if the devs decided to let another "spectacular" studio develop this title, like **** for example, it looks like their perfect video game, minus some towers to unlock, some f****ng feathers to collect.
  26. Jun 26, 2016
    4
    Pluses games that have done good graphics improved combat system (more than techniques, though not so much but still) but run in the soonest bored to perform all sorts of errands just bored on this 4/10
Metascore
76

Generally favorable reviews - based on 18 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 11 out of 18
  2. Negative: 0 out of 18
  1. Jun 24, 2016
    85
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst fully improves the concept of the first chapter by enormously expanding the setting and deepening the characters' and the world's story.
  2. Jun 20, 2016
    80
    If you're a big fan of the first game, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one. However, if you never played the original, you might want to take a test drive first to see if you want to commit to it.
  3. Jun 19, 2016
    69
    The impression that Mirror's Edge Catalyst leaves is like a person with bones full of calcium, covered with weak flesh. A better implementation of story, characters, mission design and combat system should be the first priorities on a future sequel.