8.1

1. JoeI
    Jan 15, 2009
    Controls on the PC are a pain and the game tutorials assume you are using a Xbox controller. Really, DICE? You couldn't at least display mouse/keyboard mappings (or whatever the user happens to be using) in the PC tutorials instead of LT, RB, LB, etc..? The controls are tricky enough as it ii. IMO, not worth the effort. The PC version doesn't even meet you half way if you Controls on the PC are a pain and the game tutorials assume you are using a Xbox controller. Really, DICE? You couldn't at least display mouse/keyboard mappings (or whatever the user happens to be using) in the PC tutorials instead of LT, RB, LB, etc..? The controls are tricky enough as it ii. IMO, not worth the effort. The PC version doesn't even meet you half way if you aren't using an xbox controller. Expand
  2. EricV
    Dec 3, 2009
    Not a bad game, but if I hadn't paid a mere $5 for it, I would be disappointed. Short, uninteresting story, far too linear. Some parts were really fun, like a lot of the rooftop parts. There's not much replay value besides trying to find quicker paths. Even if you do find a cleverly hidden route, you'll end up meeting back with the main path within 10 seconds.
  3. AndrésM
    Jan 12, 2010
    Controls are unconfortable and games is quite repetitive. PC conversion is awful.
  4. ConR
    Dec 29, 2009
    Some incredibly figity controls make this game one of the most annoying and infuriating games i have ever played! While it is also the only game i've ever played like it. It's fun... sometimes and rewarding even less of the time! It's quite hard from the camera angle to actually get what the character is doing all the time. Which makes improvement in a particular area of Some incredibly figity controls make this game one of the most annoying and infuriating games i have ever played! While it is also the only game i've ever played like it. It's fun... sometimes and rewarding even less of the time! It's quite hard from the camera angle to actually get what the character is doing all the time. Which makes improvement in a particular area of the gameplay just pure chance. Be prepared to get stuck on area's and be frustrated. Good innovation, poor execution. Expand
  5. LysanderS
    Dec 3, 2009
    Was really looking forward to Mirrors' Edge months before any press releases. Followed this game for a while, but it's no where near as good as it could have been (EA). Instead of being the free roam like game it's explained as, it's just a set-area to follow. Then there's the fact that, like all EA games, there's a completely stupid, cliche story line, with Was really looking forward to Mirrors' Edge months before any press releases. Followed this game for a while, but it's no where near as good as it could have been (EA). Instead of being the free roam like game it's explained as, it's just a set-area to follow. Then there's the fact that, like all EA games, there's a completely stupid, cliche story line, with a terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE twist. Much like good ol' Crysis, you'll, halfway through the short game, encounter super-enemies. Not only do these ruin the gameplay, but they're also incredibly stupid. That said, the story is also incredibly short. Once you've completed it once, in around 5 hours might i add, and you know where you're going, it turns into a 1 hour game, quite literally. The average ranking for the time trials are all under 10 minutes, which are easily beaten, along with the fact that there's only 9 levels. Then there's the fact that the 'online' is completely ruined by cheaters. This isn't just me being sore about not being top, these are clear and outright cheaters, completeing each level in around 3 seconds flat. EA should remove the clearly cheated scores to allow other players to actually enjoy the ranked system. Much like Assassins' Creed, this game will also force you into doing exactly what you're NOT supposed to be doing towards to end of the game. Namely, forcing you into combat with huge amounts of enemies. Not that this is incredibly difficult, but it is terrible when the weapon and fighting mechanics are disgusting to perform and watch. Each weapon behaves horribly, and your unarmed moves are incredibly limited. There's around 4 different moves. (wall kick, slide kick, disarm, punch). Lack of actual parkour moves are another weak point in the game. There's no fancy moves, just simple running, and wall running. That's literally all there is to the game, while the super-cops are able to perform backward flips and somersaults. All this aside, it's pretty much the only game of its kind. And there's quite a bit of fun to be had. Worth a try if you can stomach EA games. It's still fun to try and shave seconds off your best time per level. Expand
  6. JoshD
    Aug 24, 2009
    The gameplay and setting are truly revolutionary and I look forward to more games like it. I still felt however, that Mirror's Edge could have been so much more with a few tweaks. First, as others have said, the combat can be frustrating, as can the map layouts occasionally (when you can't find the exit to the next section). I'd really like to see a quicksave, as opposed to The gameplay and setting are truly revolutionary and I look forward to more games like it. I still felt however, that Mirror's Edge could have been so much more with a few tweaks. First, as others have said, the combat can be frustrating, as can the map layouts occasionally (when you can't find the exit to the next section). I'd really like to see a quicksave, as opposed to checkpoint saves, as doing the same path 25 times only to fall on the last obstacle before the next checkpoint really gets old. Finally, I feel like the story could have used better writers, and nearly all the voice actors could have been replaced (Faith was the only major character who didn't sound like she was reading off a cue card). Ultimately, though the foundations are there for game-of-the-year material, it just needs a little more work. Expand
  7. MikeH
    Jan 15, 2009
    The city itself is wonderfully designed, though the game does have its issues. Sometimes it isn't obvious where you're going - okay if you're doing a puzzle, but frustrating when you're being shot at and didn't notice the tiny little vent three storeys up behind a screen. I don't know how they could have resolved the police better - perhaps having them only The city itself is wonderfully designed, though the game does have its issues. Sometimes it isn't obvious where you're going - okay if you're doing a puzzle, but frustrating when you're being shot at and didn't notice the tiny little vent three storeys up behind a screen. I don't know how they could have resolved the police better - perhaps having them only appear in short bursts, to keep you on your toes? It's hard - how do you make running under pressure a challenge, when faced with bullets which travel near-instantly? I like this game - I really do. It's got the style, it's got good playing mechanics for the running... but the combat marrs it in parts. Also... small thing, lens flares of the sun which are behind buildings don't become occluded - whoops! Expand
  8. WilliamS
    Jan 31, 2009
    The Good: Fresh, exciting gameplay that pays off heavily in certain areas (especially the subway sequence). I held my breath between skyscrapers! Beautiful colors contrast a blindingly white world, creating a striking, original atmosphere. Superb sound and original score. PhysX effects can utilize either AGEIA's PPU or NVIDIA's GeForce GPU, are implemented well, and tack on some The Good: Fresh, exciting gameplay that pays off heavily in certain areas (especially the subway sequence). I held my breath between skyscrapers! Beautiful colors contrast a blindingly white world, creating a striking, original atmosphere. Superb sound and original score. PhysX effects can utilize either AGEIA's PPU or NVIDIA's GeForce GPU, are implemented well, and tack on some nifty (and realistic) eye-candy. The Bad: Some frustrating sequences slowed down gameplay and bored me half to death. The game's combat element leaves much to be desired. The vast, open setting is surprisingly linear. The Ugly: Lame flash animation cut scenes bring little to the table. Story is weak, dialogue is laughable and characters are uninteresting. Occasional game freezes (this has supposedly been patched) scream "console port." Expand
  9. Sep 4, 2010
    The controls take a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of it the game is kind of a fun little diversion. I picked the game up for $5, at that price it was well worth the money!
  10. Oct 11, 2010
    Very fun game and if you keep an eye for it on steam you can actually luck out and grab it for a bargain price. Definitely a beautiful game, specially if you have a PC that can run it on maxed settings.
  11. Nov 4, 2010
    A fun, but short game. The campaign is alright, and can be completed twice. Time trial is just some worthless crap which makes you spend 3 hours perfecting a 50 second run. The custom maps are fun, but there are far from enough of them. In the end you'll get ~10 hours of fun from this game, don't expect anymore.
  12. Jun 10, 2011
    'A' for originality. A very different game than the norm. Suprisingly enjoyable although quite short with little or no replayability. Good attempt at a novel concept. $5 bucket will give you good entertainment value.
  13. Oct 20, 2011
    It's a glorified tech demo. It has it's charms but in the end it feels like an unfinished, unpolished product. It has some great part and ideas which it delivers in a way that could be fun and exciting, but it also contain elements that is so poorly executed that it's almost insulting(fighting and shooting mainly)
  14. Mar 2, 2012
    Mirrors Edge probably seemed like a good idea at the time (the concept sounds good to me) but somewhere between thought and execution the game lost it's way - plummeting again, again to the hard streets below. Not to put too fine a point on it, this game is tedious - and very reminiscent of the old 8-bitters where the only way to progress was to learn from death after death.

Watching

Watching your hands drift past what should have been an easy grab or battling to climb onto a low box when fences are easily hopped doesn't help. I'm sort of wondering if it was as an apology that the game sometimes moves you forward a check-point when you die. My cynical soul, though, assumes it's just a bug.
  15. Jan 10, 2013
    When you manage to keep your freerunning momentum in Mirror's Edge, it's an amazing game. Unfortunately, the action grinds to a halt when you stumble, and it becomes an exercise in frustration as you use trial and error to determine how to proceed. The controls don't really help, as they are clunky regardless of whether you use a controller or mouse + keyboard, and the hit detectionWhen you manage to keep your freerunning momentum in Mirror's Edge, it's an amazing game. Unfortunately, the action grinds to a halt when you stumble, and it becomes an exercise in frustration as you use trial and error to determine how to proceed. The controls don't really help, as they are clunky regardless of whether you use a controller or mouse + keyboard, and the hit detection seems to take a perverse pleasure in letting you miss seemingly easy jumps. The combat is also mostly trial and error. I feel bad saying this, but this game made me appreciate the hand holding, auto-grab stuff that goes on in Assassin's Creed. Apart from the controls and 'flow' though, Mirror's Edge has great graphics (AMD users turn off phys-x) and it's fun running around avoiding enemies. Expand
  16. Oct 8, 2013
    Deserves praise for trying something new, but what begins as a novel idea quickly becomes a frustrating, irritating exercise. The controls feel unresponsive and the game does not do a very good job of telling the first-time player where they need to be going, marking usable surfaces red only goes so far without the use of peripheral vision, first-person does not lend itself well to judgingDeserves praise for trying something new, but what begins as a novel idea quickly becomes a frustrating, irritating exercise. The controls feel unresponsive and the game does not do a very good job of telling the first-time player where they need to be going, marking usable surfaces red only goes so far without the use of peripheral vision, first-person does not lend itself well to judging distances. Bloom can lead to white-out which makes seeing ledges, etc. difficult/impossible to see. These issues come together to make the whole running part redundant (instead of free-running I found Faith scrabbling at walls like a panicked cat). The majority of game time is spent trying the same jumps again, and again, and again, and again, made all the more aggravating when SWAT teams and attack helicopters are shooting at the player. Expand
  17. Jan 12, 2013
    It's an original game; but running around, jumping over roofs, and disarming enemies just isn't my cup of tea - i find the gameplay boring, despite a descent story.
  18. Sep 17, 2011
    Good game, typical EA **** Game has massive drm and requires internet connection to play, so once again publishers **** over a unique and well executed game.
  19. Dec 30, 2011
    The game is far too short and there are issues everywhere, such as dim enemies, control issues and the drabness of the setting. However, the core gameplay does work most of the time. The whole idea does make sense. A sequel should be made because somewhere in this idea, there is a great game to be made.
  20. Nov 15, 2013
    This game has so much promise, but doesn't really deliver. The mechanics take a while to get used to, and the training level could have been better integrated into the game. It would be nice to practice without falling 100 feet to my death over, and over, and over again.

Much of the game boils down to either falling to your death, over and over x 50 or getting shot to death. The plot is weak, the characters are weak, they seem like they were put there to satisfy some sort of 'plot' demand.

The core mechanic has potential though! I love running, jumping, climbing! And the graphics are great, the aesthetic is pretty darn good, with minimal colors, and red objects guiding the player.

But so much of the game is thin. Super trigger happy cops EVERYWHERE who very quickly forget you when you pass through the right door. Great idea, poor execution. Did I say that already?
  21. Jul 1, 2016
    Oh, wow. How boring can a game be?

High rating is due to 10 year old kids than haven't managed to get many thousands if hours into playing games, and have no clue they can get the same from any action game, that allows jumping and climbing ladders as as playing Mirror's Edge. I'm baffled at the reception of this game. You can get all the thrills this game has to offer in any other
    Oh, wow. How boring can a game be?

You can get all the thrills this game has to offer in any other game, that's not just a big parkour playground, and offer so much more other that the jumping and climbing this game offers.

My god, mind-numbing boring.

As for my 5 rating. I'm taking into consideration that it was probably very good for it's time (2008). I assume the freedom of movement it provided was unparalleled with any other game at the time. It looks good, very cool with it's almost monochromatic aesthetic. That's it. That's what this game had to offer.
  22. Apr 27, 2014
    FPS games are the most realistic. Mirror's Edge shouldn't be better in 3rd Person Shooter. It's a fantastic game, and it feels really great, but it becomes quite boring after about 2 hours of gameplay.
  23. May 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Whats good about this game: The graphics. And the feeling. God, it feels so smooth and free. Well, until you fall off because Faith resisted to jump. Or because you thought that you may go this way but NO, you cannot. You die Thats probably the worst aspect of the game: its omnipresent linearity.. I mean, you see a roof which doesn´t lead you anywhere, but its near so why don´t explore it? Well, because, even if the hight isn´t to high, you die. Not cool. Also, there is ONE way to the exit. One. No side ways. Thats not that bad, because the ways are obvious enough, most of the times. Hints are ok, even if not useful at every time. I mean, what does it help me to know where the exit is, if i don´t know how to reach it? Ok, but enough nagging. Because mostly, this game is butter. I mentioned the controls already, sometimes you just fall of because you apparently didn´t hit the button hard enough. But lets forget about that for a moment. Because most of the time, you just slide trough the beautiful clean world. The story is helping I think, because its no big mind bordering stuff. Honestly, you can forget about that completely. All you have to do is running and jumping. And man, thats just smooth. You navigate Faith from cut-scene to cut-scene. Doesn´t sound challenging? Well, perhaps it isn´t. And jumping and running are not that great variety of actions. But the good looking surroundings with different aims (more jumping or running) makes up for that. At the end all I can say is: It isn´t the best game I´e ever played. But it was definitely worth the feeling. Expand
  24. Jan 1, 2015
    A good and highly original game nearly ruined by unforgiving controls and sparse checkpoints, resulting in frustrating trial and error gameplay.
    Graphics are nice, and I liked their ultra clean urban vibe. Environments are well designed and look more realistic than in many other games. The music is minimalist and fits well. The story is fairly short, but well presented and I liked the stylised cutscenes. Most of the story has you running away from a police manhunt, and reminded me of some of the story in HalfLife2. Gun combat is basic, but not bad, and this game is not about combat anyway.
    The first person view can make it difficult to keep your bearings, but is fairly well implemented and refreshing in a market saturated with 3rd person views. The controls are a good concept and quite nuanced, but difficult to master, and can feel very inconsistent. You are either someone who quickly "gets it" and then is free to enjoy the game, or like me, you are not quite able to master them. In my case this is also partly because the parkour is inconsistently realistic and arcade at the same time (only someone with a Crysis style Nano-Suit would be able to do those wall running jumps etc). I think many gamers with perfectly normal keyboard/controller talent will still struggle, like I did. I found some segments a bit too difficult and the scripted events were harsh, also resulting in many frustrating re-attempts. The checkpoint save system is a pain if you are struggling with a segment, and in that respect, it renders this game inferior to something like HalfLife2 which has an excellent manual save system. I had so much trouble at times, that I had to look up some youtube walkthroughs for help. It would have helped if there were more advanced training tutorials. Maybe the random loading screen tips could also have helped, but I have a fast SSD, so never got to read them. Parkour controls in Assassin's Creed may be a bit too simple and forgiving, but at least it is a lot less frustrating most of the time.
    Annoyingly, there is no way to pause or reload cutscenes, as it is easy to accidentally skip them. This game is a fairly good port to PC, with no mouse accel or lag, and rebindable controls. Fortunately, no Origin account is needed with the steam version.

It is such a pity this game has serious flaws, as it is otherwise quite good and I would have really enjoyed it. I look forward to Mirror's Edge 2, hoping the devs will have ironed out the issues without dumbing the game down.

Conclusion:
    Whether you will enjoy this game depends entirely on how good you are with your keyboard/controller, and how much trial-and-error gameplay you can tolerate.
  25. Aug 26, 2012
    This is one solid game. Definitely, one of the most creative I have played in the last decade. The atmosphere and graphics are incredible, and the gameplay will be the only thing driving you to finish the game. The ONLY thing. The story in this game isn't anything special and is very forgettable, and that is the biggest fault in this game.
  26. Feb 16, 2013
    This is a terrible port of a great game. There are massive memory leaks, and it doesn't run very well in general. At one point when you walk into the subway, the game slows to a crawl; I know I'm not the only one, NerdCubed had the same problem. I have Portal 2 which looks better than this and runs better than this on my computer. Maybe its good if you have a high powered gaming computer,This is a terrible port of a great game. There are massive memory leaks, and it doesn't run very well in general. At one point when you walk into the subway, the game slows to a crawl; I know I'm not the only one, NerdCubed had the same problem. I have Portal 2 which looks better than this and runs better than this on my computer. Maybe its good if you have a high powered gaming computer, but you shouldn't need it for such a technically sub-par game. Expand
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    Mirror's Edge has a fantastic concept. It's a shame the final project is so... mediocre. The concept is that of a free-running game over city rooftops, which is unfortunately where the game almost immediately begins to waver. The level design, filled with an entirely too bright art style, is designed to appear open while remaining linear; this is done a bit too well. Most of the time it'sMirror's Edge has a fantastic concept. It's a shame the final project is so... mediocre. The concept is that of a free-running game over city rooftops, which is unfortunately where the game almost immediately begins to waver. The level design, filled with an entirely too bright art style, is designed to appear open while remaining linear; this is done a bit too well. Most of the time it's hard to figure out where you're supposed to go next, and when you figure that part out the method you need to use to get there is often completely unintuitive. The fact that your character will sometimes simply not grab onto things that she really should have doesn't help the frustration. Many times you'll be stuck for quite a while only to discover that the first thing you tried was right and you were just off to the side by an inch or two. Later on, the game throws the running thing to the side and basically tries to become a shooter, and while with one exception it's theoretically possible to play through the game without ever engaging in combat, in reality you're unlikely to be successful if you were to try that. Even considering the inevitable delays and numerous restarts, the game still clocks in at under eight hours of gameplay. To top it off, the game's attempt at a plot falls horribly flat, throwing you into the middle of it too soon and ending rather anticlimactically, complete with characters that we are given no chance to gain interest in and "plot twists" that would make M. Night Shyamalan cringe. Expand
  28. Nov 4, 2012
    This is a breath of fresh air from the common RPG or action game. The concept is so foreign to me, and yet so appealing that I just had to pick it up. It turned out to be a rather good decision as I couldn't put it down originally. It's incredibly fun at first, until you reach a point where it gets repetitive and boring. Some glitches or moments when Faith just doesn't feel like climbing.This is a breath of fresh air from the common RPG or action game. The concept is so foreign to me, and yet so appealing that I just had to pick it up. It turned out to be a rather good decision as I couldn't put it down originally. It's incredibly fun at first, until you reach a point where it gets repetitive and boring. Some glitches or moments when Faith just doesn't feel like climbing. I'm giving this game what it deserves in a 7/10 but I hope to see a sequel as it was a great experience nonetheless. Expand
  29. Jun 18, 2013
    Disappointing. A brilliant idea that had so much potential. For a game that immerses you in the idea of running the rooftops of the city, the game is much too linear. This is the type of game that requires an open world, not a 6 hour linear snooze fest. The idea was great, but they failed to execute well in every aspect. Poor story, short, bad gameplay, bad FPS sections. I really believeDisappointing. A brilliant idea that had so much potential. For a game that immerses you in the idea of running the rooftops of the city, the game is much too linear. This is the type of game that requires an open world, not a 6 hour linear snooze fest. The idea was great, but they failed to execute well in every aspect. Poor story, short, bad gameplay, bad FPS sections. I really believe this franchise has what it takes to be revolutionary. Sadly, Mirrors Edge 2 is just a side project rushed out by Dice and EA. This game is worth buying for $5 though. Expand
  30. Dec 11, 2012
    Beautiful first person platformer that actually works. Despite the awkward combat and occasionally frustrating trial-and-error parkour puzzles, this is a very unique game with clean, sharp visuals that stand the test of time. I only wish it was longer... clocking in at around 6-7 hours with no replay value and no multiplayer, it's easy to see why this didn't sell well. Pick this up at aBeautiful first person platformer that actually works. Despite the awkward combat and occasionally frustrating trial-and-error parkour puzzles, this is a very unique game with clean, sharp visuals that stand the test of time. I only wish it was longer... clocking in at around 6-7 hours with no replay value and no multiplayer, it's easy to see why this didn't sell well. Pick this up at a reduced price or borrow from a friend if you can because it is really a one of a kind game. Expand
  31. Aug 18, 2013
    Really clean,slick and beautiful design is flawed deeply by a rather uninteresting story and a game filled with annoyances. As much as it is fun to perform really slick continuous flow of parkour, the disappointment of this game comes when you aren't. Filled with confusing paths and annoying cops, this game pulls some if not chunks or hair from your scalp. Great idea, poorly executed.
  32. Mar 2, 2013
    This game is not really fun.
    At the first beginning i had a little bit fun by jumping over skyscrapers. There was a little adrenalin kick...(just a little :P)
    After Level 3 the game sucked so hard. I Cant understand why this title is an AAA TITLE WTF. The KI is so dump. the Gameplay is really not mature and every level is like the level bevore. I Would prefer to play every tomb
    This game is not really fun.

I Would prefer to play every tomb raider or prince of persia but this title is really not good.
  33. Nov 15, 2013
    Mirror's Edge is definitely a production different from any a game combining FPP with platform game. Visual style and design environment has been well-designed. The overall gameplay is good but combat system should be better. Playing the story mode enough for about 8 hours.
  34. Rem
    Oct 5, 2014
    I truly adore the art style of Mirror's Edge as the primary colors strongly contrasts with the white wash totalitarian architecture. But don't be fooled, this is no place anyone wants to live in, but that's up to Faith to fix. What really caught everyone's eye was the first person platforming which to say has been a disaster up to this point. Mirror's Edge really makes you feel as ifI truly adore the art style of Mirror's Edge as the primary colors strongly contrasts with the white wash totalitarian architecture. But don't be fooled, this is no place anyone wants to live in, but that's up to Faith to fix. What really caught everyone's eye was the first person platforming which to say has been a disaster up to this point. Mirror's Edge really makes you feel as if you're in Faith's shoes running as the camera follows and shows her contextual body parts as she rolls, kicks, climbs, and ledges her way to the next red object. However, while this delivers some truly immersive platforming, the game ends all too quickly and without much closer, but it wasn't that interesting to begin with. However with the upcoming sequel, I feel this idea cannot be expanded on rather than just giving it an open world, but I'll wait to be proven wrong again by DICE, who keeps surprising me. Expand
  35. May 7, 2013
    It has potential, but the frustration is just too much. You are going to die, a lot. And most of the times because of game's mechanics, where the protagonist just won't grab a ledge for some reason.
    I didn't play it all the way through but I think it's safe to say that the missions' guidelines are nonexistent.
    I just spent 30 minutes running in circle, being chased by armed guards,
    I just spent 30 minutes running in circle, being chased by armed guards, unable to figure out where am I supposed to go. I suppose I could keep trying, if I knew how to fight them. At least my copy of the game has a glitch: the tutorial mission stuck's at a certain point, keeps me trying over and over again the wall-jump thing and forces me to just start the story with no idea how to play properly.
    The soundtrack is one of the best I've heard and overall atmosphere is very very nice.
    I bet the game will kick ass on consoles, presumably without the tutorial-problem.
  36. Nov 28, 2015
    I can imagine what kind of great ideas led to the production of this game, but the finished product is dull and frustrating. Good idea, bad execution. It was fun for just a couple of hours.
  37. Aug 7, 2013
    A horrible story line that fails to grab my attention, but what makes this game good is the superb, and fun gameplay.The combat is a little lacking, and the voice acting could be better.The graphics are really good for it's time.Overall the game could be better by providing a better storyline, and improving it's voice acting.
  38. Aug 20, 2013
    We step into the running shoes of Faith, a runner in this fast paced, acrobatic game, which is one of a kind. There aren't many games that combine the action adventure platforming with the first-person genre. The concept is well executed, too bad the game falls short in other areas.

In the unknown dystopian city, where crime virtually doesn't exists the Runners are the only ones that disturb the peace achieved by the totalitarian regime. It's a small group of anti-government individuals who can do one thing very well: run... and climb pipes and do acrobatic jumps, but that's (and committing crimes) part of the life style. Our protagonist is one of them, whose sister (a cop on top of that) is caught in political crossfire and arrested for the murder of the mayor candidate. From now on it's on Faith to discover the secrets that lie below the surface.

Unfortunately there are no hearth stopping, breath taking moments in the story. It's pretty plain and simple, nothing we haven't seen somewhere else (1984 Orwell). Likewise the length and scope of the game doesn't allow the story to get to deeper levels. The game can be finished in a mere 4-5 hours. On the other hand the cartoony cut-scenes are a nice touch and the characters are believable thanks to the great voice acting.

Mirror's Edge consists of 9 chapters. In every chapter you have to get from point A to point B to complete an objective. It doesn't get any deeper than that, but at least the time spent between the start and finish is fun. The controls are responsive and you can take alternate routes to get an advantage over the riot police or just to be quicker and more efficient. In almost every level there is at least 1 point where you'll find yourself dying in 10-15 seconds after the checkpoint loads. Over and over again until you find the correct route or you can execute your jumps perfectly. These parts are pains, but the most frustrating thing in the gameplay are the gunfights. It's simply not meant to be there. Disarming guards and policemen, then shooting others feels off balanced, weak, and frustrating over all.

Faith's story has its flaws, but the game is at its best when you have to do what it's created for: platforming, wall running, jumping from pipe to pipe, rolling, sliding and so on. When you learn the levels and you become more proficient in spotting out the best routes it feels like you are a panther capable of anything. Unfortunately if you aren't in for the challenge of finding the best routes in each map there is not much else the in the game that could keep it installed on your computer for a long time. After finishing the story mode you can jump in and do some time trials, but as I said there isn't anything else beside that (if you don't count the bags which can be found in the story mode 30 in total).

Rating: 68/100; Replay Value: 2/5; To Beat: 5 hours; Played on: normal.
  39. Oct 26, 2013
    This is not a bad game. Actually, the first hours were nice. But once you've done all the different actions 20 times, you get bored. Then you realize that the game offers very little options and you have to follow a given path without much difficulty. You finish the story mode just in case there was a good story.
  40. Aug 18, 2014
    Although Mirror's Edge brings something fresh to the table, the way it is executed, makes this game mediocre in the end. It is sad because this is a game that is truly inventive unlike many of the copy-and-paste games that we are used to in AAA.

Pros: The art-style and unique world of Mirrors Edge is very uniqe and cool The movement system is in many regards good. You can do many

Pros:
    The art-style and unique world of Mirrors Edge is very uniqe and cool
    The movement system is in many regards good. You can do many types of movements that are absent in typical adventure games.
    The animations are really good considering the game was created in 2008.

Cons:
    The gameplay is generally very tedious - you mostly learn from dying.
    The cut-scenes are cartoony and looks very cheap and stops one from being drawn into the plot.
    You can't save so you have repeat stuff over and over again until you finally reach a checkpoint. This makes the game very boring.
    The plot is thin and uninspiring - it lacks interesting NPC's.
  41. Aug 10, 2016
    Mirror's Edge is fast, stylish, and filled with heart-pumping moments, but it's not great, and definitely not perfect. The game gives you a mind-blowing experience, but not a good story, decent voice-acting and enjoyable combat.
  42. Jun 9, 2014
    Mirror's Edge is a great game with beautiful visuals and fluent gameplay, but it still has flaws. For one, it's frustrating. The game requires perfect timing with jumps and slides, and the enemies only add to the irritating situation. Another thing is the slim to none amount of replay-ability. While you are provided with time trials and speed runs to do, there is absolutely noMirror's Edge is a great game with beautiful visuals and fluent gameplay, but it still has flaws. For one, it's frustrating. The game requires perfect timing with jumps and slides, and the enemies only add to the irritating situation. Another thing is the slim to none amount of replay-ability. While you are provided with time trials and speed runs to do, there is absolutely no customization to the character meaning there is pretty much no difference between play-throughs. However the lack of customization also works towards the game's favor. It allows the player to simply focus on moving forward and not have to worry about searching around every corner and making decisions. Another thing is the story, which is interesting at first, but in the end becomes a little too cliche. Overall, this game is enjoyable, while a bit frustrating, on the first play-through, but makes some serious mistakes. Expand
  43. Jun 10, 2014
    Un buen intento pero se queda corto a lo hora de conseguir el gran videojuego en primera persona de plataformas. Aún así es interesante probarlo ya que hay momentos de mecánicas y experiencias interesantes.
  44. Oct 4, 2014
    Me acabo de pasar el juego, así que, si hay algún error al hablar de la historia pues es mi culpa. No entiendo como puede sacar un score de 8 en metacritic por críticos y usuarios. El juego es corto. Compre el juego por 5 dolares pero cuando salio valía mucho mas y eso me inquieta, el juego dura de 4 a 7 horas como máximo. La historia es simple de hecho es promedio o mediocre. En un futuroMe acabo de pasar el juego, así que, si hay algún error al hablar de la historia pues es mi culpa. No entiendo como puede sacar un score de 8 en metacritic por críticos y usuarios. El juego es corto. Compre el juego por 5 dolares pero cuando salio valía mucho mas y eso me inquieta, el juego dura de 4 a 7 horas como máximo. La historia es simple de hecho es promedio o mediocre. En un futuro no muy lejano la humanidad... pues esta igual pero la seguridad de la ciudad avanza a un punto que la gente casi no tiene privacidad en la calle, un grupo de gente protesta y pues matan a muchos, después de las protestas los que aun quieren la cuidad como solia ser contratan a "Corredores" una especie de mensajes que hacen parkour y entregan mensajes por dinero. A mi me interesaba eso de los corredores saber como operan como funciona y saber mas del mundo, sin embargo, al final todo se enfoca en una chica llamada Ege o algo así y su hermana fue secuestrada. Tienes que limpiar su nombre y eso es en lo que se enfoca el juego. Los personajes no están bien desarrollados de hecho seguro que se te olvidan rápido, no me interesan sus vidas para nada, el único que me llamo la atención es el que te ayuda por todo el juego. Aquí harás parkour por todas partes y esta bien echo aun que aveces falla, en ocasiones darás un salto bien pero el personaje no se agarrara a la pared donde debía sujetarse y morirás. Aun que debo admitir que es divertido, pero el combate es... no se, no es bueno pero casi malo, en el combate la detección fallara amenos que lo hagas 100% perfecto. Es difícil pelear y las balas parecen balines, no hay sangre, en este juego sangrar es de mala educación al igual que mover un cadáver. De echo no hay diferencia entre alguien muerto y alguien noqueado. Los niveles son muy muy lineales, no hay rutas alternas ni nada, tienes que ir directamente por un lugar te guste o no. Los gráficos son buenos de echo todo se ve muy similar, haz visto caricaturas y ves que hay cosas mas coloridas y detalladas que otras? pues bueno también sabes que lo no detallado no sirve, que no se moverá. En este juego todo tiene la misma calidad gráfica así que te hará usar la cabeza. Bueno eso solo si lo juegas en difícil, pero solo se puede desbloquear difícil después de jugar fácil o normal, entonces tu ya medio sabrás por donde ir y odio que no este libre la dificultad difícil desde el inicio, esa decisión fue simplemente estúpida. Y si juegas en normal el juego te dirá siempre por donde ir, !!pero no cuando de verdad necesitas ayuda!!. Hay una zona en donde debes ir están en rojo pero cuando estas en una habitación y tienes que salir no aparece el indicador rojo NUNCA. Es como si el juego te ayudara cuando no lo necesitas y nunca te ayudara cuando si lo necesitas. Aparte de las misiones de la historia principal no hay nada mas, hay un modo carrera pero es lo mismo pero con la excepción de un cronometro que te dice tu tiempo. Hay solo 1 coleccionables en todo el juego, maletines, el juego en steam no tiene logros así que al menos a mi no me dan ganas de re-jugarlo. Seguro suena que odio el juego, pero no es así. (solo algunas cosas que estuvieron mal hechas/pensadas) Puede que en el lejano 2009 esto fuera muy bueno, pero en el 2014 no es la gran cosa. la ultima cosa de que me quejo es el final. Es malo, no nos dicen que paso con que personajes, no dicen nada sobre por que este se volvió bueno/malo solo paso y listo, tal ves una secuela lo hubiera arreglado, pero no hay secuela después de 5 años de espera. A pesar de eso el parkour es exquisito, de no ser por lo extremadamente lineal del juego me darían ganas de volver a jugarlo por que de verdad el parkour esta bien hecho. Hay rumores de una suecuela en 2017, si es verdad, espero que hagan algo mejor. Le doy un 06/10 casi decente. (enfoque en "CASI") Expand
  45. Sep 25, 2014
    A good experimental game. The parkour is good and the visuals are good. However, the game is REALLY short like i almost beat it in one sitting (Game is roughly 3-4 hours). But overall its worth getting on a sale.
  46. Jun 18, 2016
    Awesome concept, horrible execution. I really hate super negative reviews and I really really appreciate that the game tries to be unique in an environment where creativity is a rare sight in most AAA studios. Not only in its gameplay, but in the art style as well, it's great.

What isn't great is the level design. On top of the far too many trial and error moments, the levels are very confusing, especially in the indoor sections where everything is cramped together. You are going to need to do a lot of looking around in a very tiny space which leads to awkward camera angles at times; this can get disorienting and in my case even lead to a few instances of motion sickness. Take regular breaks if you want to avoid the sickness and headaches. I have no problem with the game dropping off small puzzles at times, but it's executed in a bad way forcing you to stop for far too long in what is otherwise a pretty fast paced game.

To counterbalance this the devs made it so things you need to go to are marked in red, and there's a button that turns you in the direction you need to go to. But in my opinion this clashes with the concept of parkour/freerunning, which is to find your own unique creative ways to go to your destination. On top of that I became far too reliant on it, leaving me directionless in cases it didn't gave me a concrete direction the very second I needed it. Especially annoying when you're chased by cops shooting at you, at which point every second counts.

The platforming sections, hooh boy. The trial and error mentioned before really is a big problem. You will die a lot because of your character performing wrong moves, sending you back to the last checkpoint. Now there are a lot of these, but there's noting fun about playing a certain section over and over again just because you can't make that last jump. The window for error may be very small, you don't know if you're doing something wrong or the character flat out won't do what you want her to; either way these problems pop out more often than they should. I'm sounding more negative then necessary here because this doesn't happen all the time, but when the level design is frustrating it's really frustrating.

Am I being overly negative here? Of course. The game is not bad but it could do without the frustrating parts. I'm not really a fan of the controller's button layout but it works fine enough. The soundtrack is decent, nothing outstanding, and the graphics are nice. Art style is amazing giving a great color palette that's very pleasing to the eye. The story isn't all that interesting but that doesn't really matter for a game like this. Voice acting is good too.

I'm a very big (3D) platformer enthusiast and I'm glad I gave this game a try. But I was surprised to see me having such a hard time, expecting my experience with the genre to pull me through comfortably (that sounds more arrogant than meant). It's very much a breath of fresh air in gaming as a whole, but the bad level design and tedious, frustrating segments make it so that the game doesn't click with me.
  47. Oct 23, 2017
  48. Mar 11, 2015
    Mirror's Edge is generally unpolished with temperamental controls, inconsistent use of runner-vision, Merc's often crucial audio being drowned out by combat, bright colours being used for both guidance and decoration which often left me confused as to where to go and what to do. The game should have been cut in half if not more with a much greater emphasis on 'flow' and retailed for $20.
  49. Jun 14, 2016
    I had really fun time despite my relatively negative approach at first. I was really eager to play again every time I must have ended. Demanding, sometimes irritating engine isn't the best the game offers but there's certainly lot of work put and idea of PK that was surprisingly addictive. Major flaw is the length of gameplay. Barely 6 hours including countless deaths from me.

1. Mastering the game's in-body platforming is an urgent thrill, beaten down less violently here under the auspices of our old friends keyboard and mouse, and stands out from the homogenised interfaces of modern first-person and platform games.
  2. The beautiful visuals look even better on the PC and the controls are smart and responsive. There are some flaws, though, in particular the short play time, some stiff level design and the overall potential for frustration. But if you manage to go with the flow, you will find Mirror's Edge to be a thrilling and unique gaming experience.
    While its elegant controls, visuals and audio weave a dreamlike tapestry that its animated cut-scenes do their best to eat away at, the whole is an experience you'd be remiss to let fly by if you missed it on consoles.