6.8

1. AWG
    Jun 13, 2013
    Here's a list of synonims for the term "boring": arid, bromidic, bummer, characterless, cloying, colorless, commonplace, drab, drag*, drudging, dull, flat*, ho hum, humdrum, insipid, interminable, irksome, lifeless, monotonous, moth-eaten, mundane, nothing. Pick one to describe this "game".
  2. Jun 11, 2013
    Monster Loves You! is a cute, whimsical and basically well done Choose Your Own Adventure kind of game, but it is entirely too short.

In each phase of the monster's evolution, the player faces a number of "challenges" where multiple choice answers slowly form the characteristics of the monster. If it helps others, the kindness stat goes up, if finds good solutions to problems, the
    cleverness attribute increases. if it flies right into battles with claws extended and teeth exposed, it becomes more ferocious, and so on.

In essence, this is the entire game. The graphics are well done and atmospheric, the dialogue is shallow but funny, with plenty of references, but there isn't much actual gameplay here and you'll be through in under two hours. It's more like an (simplistic) interactive story, and not like Tamagotchi, as I had initially believed when I read the description.

It's not bad. It's just too short and has little replay value unless you are going to hunt for the Steam achievements. It is clear that love has gone into making the game and visuals and audio are beautiful, there just isn't enough game here for the money.
  3. Jul 10, 2013
    Monster loves you! is a simplistic point-and-click game that aims to let you develop a (cute) monster of your own. The game is designed in a quite cute, near adorable way and most of the controls are rather smooth. I got annoyed by the music a little, since it consists of one loop per area and these loops are rather short. Aside from that its design is very enjoyable.

I was somewhere
    between honestly surprised and shocked when I discovered that finishing the game takes about half an hour... for the first time. All other times I finished it in about five to ten minutes. This reveals the main weakness of the game. While nicely designed it lacks substance and story. It advertises itself with "over 900 choices to make", but only a fraction of these are required in a single play-through. Also, you don't actually do anything beside read and choose some option, which leads to a very passive gameplay. To increase replayability the game has "medals" that are tied to achievements one-to-one. While I do like achievements very much, for me, the game lost further points because of these. Most of these medals/achievements are rather simple, but at the same time not necessarily interesting. The final two, again for me, took some time and finally guides, because there are basically no hints whatsoever how to get these. This lead to a frustrating repetition of the same choices, which in turn reflected badly on the whole game. Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2013
    Pros: Cute visuals, nice music, interesting concept of choosing your monster's character and destiny. It's nice for people who like text-based games as the writing can be witty here and there.

Cons: If you are a fast reader, a single play-through takes only 10 mins (perhaps 15 mins the first time). Even though you can theoretically play the game through several times, making different
    choices, you'll soon realise that there are very limited adventures, and you'll more or less know the results after playing it two or three times. The story is very short, and very limited, despite the attempt at giving multiple choice answers. While the visuals are nice, they are mostly just backdrops, and you can't interact with them.

Verdict: I paid US$6 for the game (on sale) and find that it isn't really worth the money. I think I could find several better (albeit older) games for that price. The game would have really benefited from a more extensive storyline and a greater decision tree.
  5. Jun 13, 2013
    Monster Loves You! is a beautifully animated, majestic game with a great story line and fun adventures that you can set out to achieve. There are hundreds of ways your monster could end out.

The engine and cut scenes were well thought out and the Radial Games Corp. has just done an amazing job. You can pick your future and it changes with every choice.

Monster Loves You! has a unique
    sense of humor and i would recommend to any of you out there with a boring life to get it! It is also great for children and it is very addictive.

I have played for 4 hours straight picking my destiny and wishing it would end out as perfect as it can be. I rate it 10/10, awesome game
  6. 57x
    Jun 12, 2013
    Monster loves you eh?
    Yet another odd game but that doesn't make it a bad game. You start of in a cauldron of goo and work your way up to adulthood. The game itself is as short as that description. The first time I finished it it took me just under an hour. That's the main drawback of the game, short as hell.

Monster loves you is a Visual Novel. The art although I regret not getting to
    see much of it during the story, mainly because the dialog boxes covered the images is what you would find in a children's book but not to childish to stop anyone else from playing it in that regard.

What do you get to do? All you do is click dialog boxes. What do these boxes contain? Text of course. Just joking. This is the core of the game. You grow up based on the choices you made starting from day 1. The shortness of the game is countered by a decent amount of choices that you get.

Verdict time. I for one got this on a -50% sale and got exactly what I signed up for. An amusing story that did not drag on to the point clicking a dialog box becomes a chore. I couldn't wait to click and read what my choice did and let me tell you, some of the choices you get to make are either hilarious on their own or the result is.

If I were to give it a score I would go for around 8 10, and as always that's the grade according to how much they achieved and how much more they could have.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

Dejobaan has made a game with attention to detail: the text is tingling with witty black humor, there’s pleasantly looped music and the static drawings portray beautifully this surreal monster-world. [May 2013]
  2. May 31, 2013
    Monster may very well love you, but it will probably have to get used to you simply liking it back. [June 2013, p.92]
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    If you go into Monster Loves You with the knowledge that this is really an interactive story for children, then you can get plenty out of it. It's quick to get through and packs the same kind of charm and sweetness as a good kids book but it really is a game designed for younger gamers.