8.6

1. Aug 30, 2010
    I am really surprised this game slipped past so many people when it was released. Obviously Warband is just a polished version of the original with MP...so it's perfect to play on it's own. I can see how people gave it negative marks for being exactly like the original, however...but I love this game. It's tremendously fun, intuitive, and cuts a lot of wasted time out of the typical RPG play. I really was excited to learn that you don't have to walk through a town to get to a person you wanted to talk to, or get to a vendor you wanted to work with - all you need to do is click on that person or area and you're there. I can't tell you how much more enjoyable it is to play something like this. The battles are so fun, like, ridiculously fun. This game has one of the highest user scores on metacritic for a reason...it's just really really fun. There is something terrible satisfying about throwing a huge pike and an enemy on a horse and knocking them off of it with a kill shot.

Boom.
  2. Sep 5, 2010
    This is certainly a love it or hate it game, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Easily worth the price for the amount of game time. The controls feel smooth, the graphics great considering the number of AI on the screen at one time and the music is awesome too, when it's not skipping or repeating...
  3. Sep 11, 2010
    Mount & Blade: Warband's name couldn't be more apt: warband leadership and intensely personal combat is by far the most detailed aspect of the model, which extends to provide scope for just about everything a real medieval warband leader could hope to accomplish.

TaleWorlds squeezed so much sophistication into their fight controls that I found myself wondering whether they couldn't have
    added footfall timing to the agility model: you can beat opponents on timing and distance and feints, but you can't actually wrong-foot them. I mention this not as a complaint, only to suggest the level of detail. A twitch game this isn't -- if you just point and click you're going to get pwnt pretty darn quick. Within its limitations, fighting feels totally immersive and real.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CvE67YjIyQ for the best small-battle intro I've found.

What isn't apparent in that video is, again, how much sophistication they've gotten into the controls. It's WASD and mouse with good keystroke defaults for the ancillary controls (though I like to put sheathe on V because you can run faster with empty hands) like looking around and picking up weapons or spent arrows if you happen to see what you want LMB controls attack swing strength and timing, RMB controls block direction and timing, combos control feints, mouse movement controls tip trajectory and body or viewpoint rotation, MMB controls weapon and shield selection, WASD combinations control body movement..

I haven't loved a fighting game so much since the first Prince of Persia on my mac, 20 years ago. Elite equipment and high character level will not keep you safe. They're skill amplifiers, not I-win buttons. In arena and tournament combat in town (deathmatch-style open melee with wooden weapons, i.e. the basic combat and tactics tutorial range) I started out unable to kill even a single opponent taking quarter damage against the weakest combat AI. It took me practice and focus and more practice and some time just thinking about it and then more time in to be able to take first prize at that level most of the time, by which time my character was fairly skilled -- more so than the knight in the video above, for example. Then I tried it on full damage and good AI. The adrenaline rush was incredible. I'm pretty sure I sounded like the in-game recorded battle yells when I hit my stride, only at full volume. I'm still learning. I can now more or less expect to survive about a quarter of an arena combat playing as a new character. I'm not good at mounted combat.

Many things your arena opponents will do seem unfair until you realize they're the result of lessons learned. A tip: unless I'm imagining this, and I don't think I am, don't run directly at an opponent if you don't want them attacking you. Don't even stare directly at them. They're running threat assessments just like you are. You'll learn more lessons.

These guys aren't just having a great time and a lot of fun building this. They love it.

Real combat in the game world adds terrain and weapon variety, not to mention upping the stakes dramatically. Plus you're commanding a warband. See the video for a small taste.

The rpgfan reviewer gets many things right, but I simply don't understand why he said: "the game is ultimately directionless.". Say what? I also came up with the Pirates! and Total War comparisons, (I'd say the economic sim is closer to Railroad Tycoon in its depth, though I haven't pushed it yet). But I called Pirates! a story-construction kit and loved it for that; and both their game and their name say it: TaleWorlds love the same things in a game. As with Pirates!, you start out a newly-arrived, inexperienced youth in a limited world, and set out to make your fortune.

Ruling the world or whatever part of it pleases you isn't direction enough? From the bottom, there is only one direction: up. If making yourself king of one country isn't enough, you can conquer the world, but you sure as hell won't do either just by winning battles. It will take smart alliances and marriage, attention to loyalty and economic development, staff development and broad political awareness and strategy.

I considered giving this game only a 9 because of the faults many people have noted: the graphics outside of combat settings are perfunctory at best, there are some real bugs and lots of long-unfixed typos, there are undocumented features like ctrl-space to accelerate campaign map motion, leaving me to wonder what other of the game's infelicities I could avoid if only they'd bother documenting how, and the incredible combat sophistication they do manage to cram into the left five fingers on the keyboard and the mouse on the right actually make me long for ... perfection.

And then I realized steam tells me I have almost a hundred hours into this game, I've barely scratched the surface, and I care enough to write this review.

Frakking awesome.
  4. Jul 4, 2011
    all i can say is this game is fantastic, when i first saw this game it looked meh to me, but im glad i got past my unfair judgements for this game because its on of my favorites now.
  5. Duh
    Sep 29, 2010
    You might ask yourself whether Warband is worth its money. The answer to that are your personal preferences, since there are a lot of great things in the game, but also things that will anger you till you tilt, especially because you will - at that point - know that the game has a huge potential which seems to be not used. The PROs include The best fighting system there is. You are in control of your attacks and blocks, the direction, the timing, the distance and the speed. The fights are intense.
    Amazing battles sizes not only in the singleplayer, but also on the multiplayer. No not only 64 as falsely proclaimed in many reviews, there are servers that offer room for up to 222 players. The Singleplayer mode is in Vanilla limited to 150, but by using the MBW Battle Resizer the only limitation is your hardware. I play with a battle size of 700.
    The SP world. Kingdoms rise and fall with or without your doing. This war-torn country of Calradia does not need a player to function :-D.
    The multiplayer. You will hate it for crushing you (I have no clue how so many people can be so good). You will love it for the excitement, the rush of adrenaline when being faced by a group of enemies, the joy of making a kill - finally, and the tactical thinking.
    A great community. It is a must for anybody buying this game, to use the forum. Otherwise you will never get the full potential out of this game. The Mods are the true jewels here. More on that later.
    The developers put a lot of effort into fixing bugs and improving the game. Since the release in March there have been 6(!) official patches i know of, that fixed bugs, rebalanced weapons, added new game features, etc. . The game was playable from the beginning, it just got better.

The CONs
    The singleplayer lacks a tutorial. The game is very complex and especially the character creation is too complex for newbies. Later on you will be happy for the amount of choices tho. A mission to start off with was added, which helps a little on getting into the game.
    No big questline. You can roleplay the squat out of this game, but you will have to create your story yourself.
    At some point the game becomes repetative. Its after getting started, gaining power and before starting your own kingdom. Overall the Vanilla Singleplayer is missing something to keep it interesting.
    Sieges are the biggest flaw in Vanilla SP. The AI sucks here and the possible choices - really opposing the general game theme - are basically nonexistent. It is a pity that the multiplayer siege options werent implemented into the SP.

The conclusion:

The Vanilla game has highs and lows. 30 Bucks is acceptable for it, but its not a great deal.

HOWEVER Mount and Blade: Warband is a long term investment. This is due to the huge modding community of the game (Forum!). You dont like the graphics? Get Polished Landscapes. You dont like the Battlesize? Get a Resizer. You dont like time period? Download a total conversion, which plays in the Renaissance or WW2. There are even mods solely dedicated to the Multiplayer. F.E. You dont like to always have to choose from the same troops and equipment? You want to customize your character? You want to change your skills? Get the CRPG mod and play it on their servers, which hold up to 120 spots for players. This ever growing amount of mods add amazing things to the Multiplayer and the Singleplayer and thats why the game is in my opinion worth the buy. You will get not only 1 game, but you will get a growing number of games. Therefore a tip of my hat to Taleworlds and their modding community.
  6. Aug 2, 2011
    melee combat at it's best. Realism at it's best. Huge battles. RPG elements. Open world. Already played it for hundreds of hours. For me its the best game in some genres
  7. Nov 7, 2010
    I have been playing this game for 8 months now on a casual basis and yet everytime I sit down to play it I get sucked in and the next thing I know 5 hours have passed and in the midst of a massive battle with 200 units battling always brigns a smile to my face as I ride along cutting down my enemies. There is so much to do and the developers have patched in more content, items, quests and ways to make money (like buying property) constantly.

Graphically the game is not amazing to look at compared to say a modern FPS but the thing is M&B: Warband is showing you massive battles & sieges with sometimes 200+ units & horses fighting with arrows and bolts flying through the air, blood spattering and the general chaos that makes this game of medi-evil battles so much fun. Sure there is diplomacy & trading and questing but these things are available in other games, Such excellent mounted combat can only be found in Mount & Blade & Mount & Blade: Warband.

Worth every penny.
  8. Nov 5, 2011
    best game I have played in years, bought it for £5 in a steam sale, played nearly 200hrs in just over a month, no other game since UT2k4 have I played for hours on end and not been bored or sick of it at all.

So many good mods, mount and musket, c-rpg, vikingr etc. always full servers, literally the best game around atm.
  9. Nov 15, 2010
    I believe this game to be the ultimate simulation of medieval times. The possibilities are endless, I have played the game's single-player for 250 hours, yet I still haven't tried them all out. It is all very well done, from the combat to the politics. You can become king, and rule the land, from the Sarrinid deserts to the Nord seas, or you could just be a robber, raiding caravans and living the good life, or you could be an honest trader, making a living and defending his caravans from brigands, so that you might eventually buy your own producing business. Expand
  10. Dec 1, 2010
    I recently bought this on Steam during a sale they were having and am so glad I did.
    If you're looking for a unique RPG'ish type game that's medieval but doesn't have anyone named Lleggolas11 or people flinging magic around - this is for you.
    if you have a bit of trouble getting the hang of combat initially, please stick with it as the brilliant game design really is worth getting used
    to a different sort of control system. Expand
  11. Dec 8, 2010
    Having never played the first Mount and Blade, I happened on Warband by chance, and WOW!

At the start of the game you make several choices on who your character is obviously starting first with your gender, but then moving onto your fathers background and then your own. All these affect how the other characters in the game react to you. For example, some of the Lords DESPISE women being
    on the battlefield, while a lot of them will respect men from a Noble Background, some of them will threaten to tear your families "banner" (coat of arms) apart.

Now to get down to business. You first find yourself stumbling across a merchant, who gives you a brief tutorial on how to recruit members to your party but also how to fight! But after this very short tutorial, you're kind of thrown into the world to build up experience yourself!

The trading system can be quite complicated if you don't know where to buy and sell things. For example (not naming cities) I can buy Iron in one city for around 120, but sell it in another for around 300 making a massive profit, but you can't find these deals unless you look for them, or know what cities produce which resource. Sure, the forums are pretty active and have people posting all their advice on there about different trade routes and this may be very helpful, but I find the best way to learn is to figure it out for yourself.

Of course being called Warband, there can be a lot of fighting, especially when you first start out with Bandits, Sea Raiders but also when you've got a LOT of man power if you join a Kingdom! I've found myself having battles will well over 1000 people on each side with my Kingdom defending a Castle from an opposing Kingdom. Now with these Kingdoms, there are 6 present in the game when you start out, but if you start doing well for yourself you can set up your own and convince the Lords from other Kingdoms to join you! Overall, I have 211 hours of play time but I KNOW I haven't completed HALF the opportunities Warband offers me. To be honest, I haven't "won" the game by taking over the whole map with one Kingdom yet, but that's the fun, I've made about 15 different characters trying to get them exactly how I want to, and I've finally settled on one (who has just come out of "prison" for attacking another Kingdoms caravan)!

So overall, Warband can be quite complicated for the first couple of hours, but as soon as you figure out the systems in place in game, it becomes a VERY addictive game!!!!
  12. Dec 22, 2010
    Another underrated game. This is one of the most fun and addicting game of its genre. the fighting system is absolutely amazing and unique making it a very skillful and rewarding game to play online. Its online game play is excellent due to the huge battles and the combat system. Modding is very popular in this game which provide players with different experiences online which is always a bonus. The single player is extremely addictive and fun to play, allowing you to play for hours on end without getting bored of it. Totally worth $30. Expand
  13. Jan 17, 2011
    I am not east to please my number one thing is total content. I like story, I like sand box, I like to be able to do whatever i want in the game. This game has it all!!! the graphics are a little crude but there are mods that improve that aspect. there could be more voice overs, that would be interesting. The game is great and replay ability is Great! There was only two developers, I could imagine what they could do with a team. they could rival Bioware. Expand
  14. May 1, 2011
    Highly authentic medieval combat. The most unique gaming experience I've had in a long time. In 8 hours of this Action Adventure game I've trained in weapons, archery and horseback, fought in tournaments, searched for volunteers for my mercenary band, fought bandits and deserters, tracked down criminals, ran errands for lords, delivered ransoms, ransomed/sold prisoners into slavery, traded goods between villages, trained villagers to fend for themselves, delivered aid to said villagers, drove cattle, wrangled cattle, lost in battle and was captured several times.

I'm still a lowly mercenary and have yet to even become a vessel, let alone fight in a war or earn a fief and who knows what else.

This is NOT some text based RPG. I can't put it down and highly recommend this game to anyone who loves this era.
  15. May 27, 2011
    This game doesn't have grate graphics -rather medium level at most. This game doesn't have grate scenario - only repetitive misions given by pesants, lords or merchants that -even worse - are re-given after few months game time doesn't matter if you completed them already or not. This game doesn't have interesting characters - they are only little more than nameless peasants recruited to your band of mercenaries. So what makes this game just grate? Battle system - it's the greatest, and most realistic medieval battlefield - or rather mounted knight - simulator that i ever played. When you and your 30 fellow knights charging few times bigger line on infantry it really feels like battle field. It;s not Oblivion where horse is only driving equipment - here horse is as important - or even a lot more - than sword in your hand. Without horse you're just an easy prey. And even with poor mission system this game has excellent game play - you start as mr. nobody with a stick in your hand, lame horse and a cheese +bread in your backpack. Soon you will be chef of mercenary band that can try his luck even with some lords with mighty army ... to ultimatly became 1 of those lord for himself. And then the real fest start - fighting lords of other realms, conquering castles and cities and accumulating might to ultimately trying your luck as a ruler either by declaration of independence or acknowledging right to rule of some royal bastard and making him your puppet. No campaign here, no interesting missions - you have to create campaign for yourself and it is fun! But if you like everything given to you at plate than no problem also - fun works and mods are just plenty - and they are really good - most of them by few levels exceeded original - native campaign. Expand
  16. Jan 12, 2012
    great game buy it now ........................................iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
  17. Jul 30, 2011
    Is Warband worth it? Am i buying the same game? Did the developers even try to update the game? People, stop worrying, its a great game, and surpasses the original in every aspect. The hit detection is more responsive, the AI is greatly improved and...well...it feels more, refined. Every single little tiny detail seems more refined than the original, but that may just be me, but i belive they had a graphical overhaul. So stop worrying people, its well worth you time, your effort and your money. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2011
    This game, if it were set up in a mmo with fleshed out carears other than combat would be some serious fun. Even when it is only the combat you can spend hours with just one more seige game play, and I havent eve gotten around to the multiplayer yet. In a world of poor game releases and games that are pretty but crappy you cant go wrong with this one.
  19. Apr 19, 2012
    Ok i bought this hidden gem for 5$ on Steam sale and am convinced its the best 5$ ive ever spent. I didn't think mele combat could be done this well, and the archery and horseback physics are brilliant.
    80 hours in and still havent played the single player yet...lol

Try the crpg mod for multiplayer.....it effectively turns it into an mmo rpg.

BUY THIS GAME!!
  20. Oct 8, 2011
    I was pleasantly surprised when I picked this up for under ten dollars during the sale out of curiosity; the combat in this game matches that of one of my favorites of all-time (chronicles of riddick) and adds a plethura of weapons into the mix. The world is huge and there is so much to do; I'm already coming up to the 50-hour mark (about half was spent in sp, half in mp) and I feel that I'm barely halfway through the single-player campaign. If you're interested in a game of this type, get it, it's the only one. If you're interested in it because it looks good, get it, it is Expand
  21. Jun 17, 2012
    excellent gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  22. Jan 29, 2012
    Awesome Multiplayer mod experience(mm russia3), I find the single player to be fun but the multiplayer mods are where this game shines. Ive been playing for hours on servers with 150 people and the huge battles are just so addicting with the mods adding huge amounts of replay value!
  23. Jul 5, 2012
    This game is a gem. It's single player campaign is highly immersive. In the Kingdom of Calradia there is 6 factions, each representing an area of the Medieval world (Italians, Arabs, etc) .You start as a individual with a backstory decided by you and a character who's stats and looks(to the nose and eyebrow size) are decided by you. Beginning as the leader of a small warrior band, your military grows in size as you seize control of towns and castles and train your peasant recruits into elite warriors that can tear through enemies like medieval tanks. Eventually you will be able to conquer Caldaria alongside your Noble King or start your own Kingdom and conquer the land yourself. Little touches like interactive companions with very interesting backstories and have complex relationships with your other companions increases the feel of immersion. The Multi-player is simply epic, especially with the Napoleonic DLC. The game has developed a community of "regiments" that partake in historical linebattles. These linebattles are heavily strategic and exciting as you are always given a single life. Melee combat is simple to learn but hard to master. You direct your weapon to body parts with the mouse and block with the mouse. Engagements are exciting and there is a huge variety of modes, from large battles, duels to even great sieges. The game's servers have high player limits, 64-200 leading to epic battles. A gem and considering the price, a MUST HAVE. The game's modding community is incredibly powerful allowing for an endless stream of new content. Expand
  24. May 13, 2012
    A highly addictive "medieval knight simulator" (impressive blend of action, strategy and role-playing) with true in-game freedom (no storyline-imposed limitations whatsoever).
  25. May 18, 2012
    Takes 2nd place in my personal best games list, really absorbing game 5 - 10 hours pass like 5 - 10 minutes, that might be the only bad part of it, the graphics aren't that good and some animations weren't even finished but that just doesn't matter a bit compared to gameplay itself, i love the way you can choose to be some kind of noble knight serving your king, a bandit, a rebel, or even an emperor yourself. I hate to spoil anything ... so i won't. Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2012
    This game is easily the best first person medieval game i have ever played, not only does it have a great single player but also a highly addictive multiplayer. A must have PC game
  27. Sep 23, 2012
    As was previously mentioned in a few other reviews, this game will either bore you or knock your socks off. The unmodded single player is one of the most addictive and rewarding experiences I've yet encountered in any video game. the multiplayer however is worthless... that is without the right mods (all mod content is free in case you were wondering) CRPG is the current mod of choice to turn this game's lack luster multiplayer into a something comparable to a medieval call of duty. Custom classes and equipment etc. Now what you should know are the most impressive points of this game:
    A blend of RPG and strategy that fill both roles flawlessly. Something that many games have tried and nearly always failed.

Exelent customization options for your character and troops. RPG style skils to aid you in combat or support your army, somewhat comparable to an elder scrolls game. Additionally each soldier in your army levels up and is upgraded to whatever you choose for the soldier to be. Lead a small force of elite knights and prevail using superior quality of soldiers. Or Recruit dozens of conscripts and send them in droves to swarm and overwhelm your opposing force. Or completely fill out a balanced army of archers, cavalry and a core of infantry to co-ordinate and out maneuver your opposing force.

thirdly probably one of the features that this game has that so many other games fail to deliver is the unlimited style of game play. You don't have to choose between swarms of cheap units or a few quality warriors. You can have your cake and eat it too. work hard enough and upgrade those conscripts to swarms of highly trained knights or hundreds of elite heavy infantry loaded to the teeth with heavy weapons and armor. There is no limit to how many soldiers you can control and upgrade so long as you manage them appropriately. Also no level cap (though it will become exceedingly difficult to level up somewhere near level 32) you can specialize in tactics and troop support skills, focus all your stats to mastering combat with the weapon in your own hand, or find a niche to split your skills with your companions (hero units) and be both that combat master and a perfect commander. The only limit is the soldiers that appear in individual battles at one time, but this is easily removed with the right mods.

and lastly just to top it off the controls re astoundingly innovative. Though to be fair it takes some adjustment, the controls can be awkward at first and somewhat complicated, but the steep learning curve is over shadowed by complete control of your character. With only a bit of practice the controls become familiar and user friendly. I haven't played any other game that lets you have so much immersion in combat than warband. Not even elder scrolls can come close to the combat system.

though there is a few thing this game fails to use such great potential for:

Yes the sieges are somewhat bland. Though just as action packed and exiting as feild battles, your soldiers will merely be headbutting in a continuous clash with the other army. More of a tug of war without any strategy to use.

Also with some work-arounds this game could have impalement a co-op to the single player that could be outstanding. There are mods to allow multiplayer co-op but cannot incorporate the strategic map.

The graphics are modest at best. A bit dated look the textures and models are well done but falling short of most modern standards. However the graphic quality is good enough to merely leave room for improvement, but do not present a major drawback.

If you are crazy about story lines and ingame lore, this game lacks much of a story. Don't misinterpret, the setting is spot on perfect and the world around you is very well in theme. There is no story line past the tutorial. The reason; to allow freedom for the player to manipulate and create the story as he or she goes,but don't expect to be on the edge of your seat for what happens next.

This game will be challenging at the beginning, regardless of personal skill of the game. When you are beginning you will face a harsh, unforgiving world before you finally can dominate even the weakest of opponents. I give this game a score of ten, and for a valid reason. This is a damn good game. Period. The drawbacks are overshadowed by the positives. I seldom speak this highly for anything less than an immaculate shining gem of a game.
  28. Sep 28, 2012
    wow, where to even begiin? i just love this game so much! the gameplay, the possibilites, the multiplayer!! i would just say that this game is underated for some reason. 78? really? what were they smoking?
  29. Oct 13, 2012
    Outstanding gameplay followed by hour's of enjoyment. For the money this game Knock's the ball right out of the park :) Would highly recommend this game, for it's age it still in my opionion outperfom's even the most recent title's such as war of the rose's that try and compete.
  30. Jan 4, 2013
    Mount & Blade: Warband, in my opinion, is the most innovative medieval fighting game released in this year. This game uses mouse movement to control your players' attacks and defenses (unless otherwise toggled), unlike any other game in this genre (with the exception of the War Of Roses). The singleplayer and the multiplayer are two different experiences using the same combat system. Singleplayer is the more complete RPG exerience, with customizable armies, companions, nations, entirely open map, and an unforgiving, uncaring world. (Quite realistic.) Multiplayer is mostly combat, with the exception of a customizable avatar and what you bring into combat (essentially your loadout). This game almost reaches it's full potential if you're willing to modify it (singleplayer, anyways).

PROS: Extensive RPG experience, Original combat system, Singleplayer/Multiplayer, Large & active playerbase, realistic, Globally played, Difficulty is easily adjusted, Entirely Open Word, Decent price, Almost 2 games in 1.

CONS: O.K. graphics (This isn't Skyrim, folks), Tendancy to house Bugs, Glitches, and other Parasites, , Difficult to learn, Addictive ; )

In CONCLUSION, this game is worth picking up if you're a true RPG/Fighting fan.
    On Steam you can grab the entire series for $8-$15.
  31. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is the biggest adrenaline rush ever! I still can not stop playing it, the modding community has made this game more alive then ever. It has a mod hosted at www.c-rpg.net that makes this game extremely fun! Nothing then a melee combat fight. :)
  32. Oct 28, 2013
    Better game that I thought it would be and even better with the best mods in place. I played it for about 50 hours without mods before finally giving in to see what it would be like with them... and wow I've already spent close to 200 hours in this game (and I've yet to conquer all of Calradia haha, and in my defense, it's harder than it first seems). So much variety in what to do and with what happens based on what you do. Also a good amount of units, tactics, and equipment.

I honestly am not a big fan of the fighting aspect because its rather rough and could use more polish and fluidity in my opinion. Again, mods help improve this aspect of the game along with most other gripes I originally had (such as more variety in towns/taverns/castles maps since in vanilla they're mostly carbon-copies of one another)

Without mods this would be a 9/10 for me, but with mods it's definitely 10/10.

Literally a choose-your-own destiny type of game that gives you the freedom to do whatever the hell you want. Recommended!
  33. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is great fun and possibly the best open world/RPG/Realistic games you will find as the singleplayer never ends and the combat is really well balanced and fun but unfortunately after a few days of playing the singleplayer it began to become repetitive so I moved onto the multiplayer which was far far better than I thought it was gonna be.

The multiplayer is well balanced and
    the buying of equipment is an interesting way of dealing out weapons and armor. The multiplayer modes are very simple as you have your DM and TDM but all the real fun is in siege mode where one team defends while the other teams attacks, this is amazing due to fact you can have up to 100+ players. If you get bored of the singleplayer and multiplayer the fun goes on because Mount and Blade Warband is open to mods and there are thousands of high quality multiplayer and singleplayer mod.

The graphics are not amazing but there are some serious optimization options in this game meaning alot of people are able to run it without problems.

If you love open world RPGs and med-evil combat games your gonna really want to play this!
  34. Jul 15, 2013
    I get near unlimited entertainment out of this game the combats done perfectly fun multiplayer. (Wish there was co-op but still doesn't take away from its overall glory) Near best single player i've ever had the experience to play so many amazing mods that you can never claim you don't get your moneys worth. Epic battles with over 200 players in them and the single player with mods has practically unlimited size if you can get 700 troops together then with the help of an easy to install mod you can have the most epic battle i've ever seen. The graphics may not be the best but this game but intuitive gameplay proves that graphics don't make a game the character customization isn't the best but there's certainly some variety although messing with most of the advanced options will create some pretty hideous sights. The story is one of the best parts for me theres no script its what you make they release you in this great world and then its up to you to make it it very organically creates a story from events you make happen or participate in whether or not you roleplaying. This game is must a buy. Expand
  35. Mar 22, 2013
    A nearly FLAWLESS re-edition of an absolute epic cult classic game.
    Greatly improved. Almost bug free. It's a shame that it took 5 years to come out.
    The only downside that i can think of right now: The lack of new music and no improvements for siege artillery. Don't forget the try out Mods, MODS make this game the best game ever. There is tons of mods out there and it is certainly the
    best game ever.

you must download mods to turn it into the best game, without mods this game is nothing. Go to moddb to check out for warband mods, so many out there
  36. Mar 29, 2013
    without doubt a must-play for any medieval game lovers. come to talesworld forum there is tons of mods for you to try. like lord of the rings mod, a song of fire and ice etc.
  37. May 2, 2013
    This is clearly the best game that I have ever played. I`ve spent over 180 hours into the single player adventure mode. I will not spend time spoiling the amazing game play for you, just buy this game if you feel like an amazing middle evil experience. please help me to fill up the server list on the great 200 player multiplayer.
  38. May 27, 2013
    Possibly my most played and favorite game of all time, and I still haven't got around to having a career with all the factions (how I have no idea). This game is still roaring with fire as well thanks to the huge mod capabilities, there's a bunch of great ones out and some that I'm really looking forward to.
  39. May 27, 2013
    I have played 118 hours of Mount and Blade: Warband's single player. It is a basic concept, but the scale of the world, countries, and battles are enough to make me keep playing. For the price, this game is everything you could hope for in a single player game. The multiplayer, In my opinion is lackluster. I didn't even touch it until over 100 hours in. But I personally don't consider it when reviewing this game. The fact that I can start my own country and obliterate the existing ones amazes me, but adding that is actually takes time and effort makes it that much more engrossing. Expand
  40. Jan 29, 2014
    This is the best single player game I've played in the last 10 years. If you struggle with complex games in which proficiency takes time, you may not enjoy this like I did. After a few hours, you'll say "this is pretty good". After 10 hours, you'll say "this is really good". After 20 hours, you'll say "I am only just now beginning to see the true brilliance of this game." Just check the /played time on steam reviews. There isn't another game in the catalog that CLOSE to compares with how devoted players are to this game.

TLDR: If you're a hopelessly mainstream gamer with a short attention span - don't bother. If you tend to enjoy games that take effort and learning and reward that effort, you'll love this.

Suggestion: Once you've played the vanilla game, play some mods. My personal favorite is Prophecy of Pendor.
  41. Sep 27, 2013

42. Feb 7, 2014
    Fantastic!

Mount and Blade Warband is a precious hidden diamond. Along with some of the best mods, it becomes simply irresistible. One of the most addictive games ever. I am talking about hundreds of hours of game-play, that's most certain.
  43. Oct 22, 2013
    It could be said that the game doesn't add a lot to the original Mount & Blade.

There are some minor graphical changes, a new faction, a marriage system and multiplayer.

Though I played a lot of the original Mount & Blade and gave it a 10/10, I've barely touched single player since I bought Warband. Multiplayer is a huge addition and a completely new and different experience,
    showcasing the beautiful combat system that could be largely ignored in the original.

There are a lot of ways to play and while many of them have a steep learning curve, it's easy to be competitive with just the basics.
  44. Nov 8, 2013
    This game is just amazing. It has a large island with different kingdoms. Each kingdom has relations with each other, resulting in wars and alliances. You can mess with this system, or ignore it and make money alone. You can become whoever you want, be a lone traveler, be a merchant, be a leader of an army, or be a notorious bandit. The combat system and commands for your party makes this feel even better, and alone is enough to justify the fairly dated visuals. Expand
  45. Nov 19, 2013
    It is one of the best games i have ever played.
    I liked the Singleplayer because of building an empire and don't be bound to follow a storyline and because you can do what you want.
    But most of the time playing Mount and Blade iam playing the Multiplayer because i like this medieval setting and this action based combat mechanics.
    I think this is the best opportunity for people who like
    this genre. Expand
  46. Dec 29, 2013
    One of my favourite games of all time. There is no other game anything like this. This game is unique. The combat requires skill. Great singleplayer mode, great multiplayer. I have spent hundreds of hours playing this game.
  47. Jan 7, 2014
    It's not an RPG basically it's a different type of ingaming and I naming it now as "Medieval Whirlwind".
    First you really cannot find that fighting system anywhere and any game and the fighting and warfare ,s really pretty and it seems they going to improve it in Taleworlds' sequel to Warband: Mount&Blade Bannerlord.
  48. Jan 6, 2014
    This game amazing. Epic and engaging multiplayer with a addicting single player. Amazing combat with a sense of fulfilment when you start to get good at it. Almost as good as Cory in the house.
  49. Feb 19, 2014
    Well, this game pretty much changed my life. I'd say it has better replay value than Tetris and Smash Brothers put together. The multiplayer mods are amazing and the game can be challenging and funny if you want it to be.
  50. Mar 20, 2014
    By itself, a solid 8/10 game that will provide numerous good hours of entertainment.

But what really makes this game great is the outstanding mod community and DLC.

The Napoleonic Wars DLC in particular is worth every penny (especially with its challenging yet legitimately rewarding melee combat system). Get it, join a regiment (one of the numerous player clans that have banded
    together and host numerous amazing events ranging from fun period-style linebattles to epic sieges all with up to 200 players in game).

If you want it, there's a mod for it. Ranging from Lord of the Rings to Game of Thrones to feudal Japan, there's countless mods to fit your needs/desires. The modding community for this game is simply outstanding.
  51. Jun 4, 2014
    best game i've played, good graphics when you are in very high settings, good playability, good sounds but no speaking characters, there is no history, but you can create you own story.
  52. Jul 24, 2014
    Jogo bom não pega em nenhuma aspecto, quem não gosta é porque não sabe jogar, sinto falta apenas de poder criar um reino, mas de resto acho muito bom.
  53. Sep 11, 2014
    This game is a bit rough around the edges, but this kind of gameplay is something I really haven't found with anything else. A fitting description for this game might be "Medieval simulator" or something like that. It is EXTREMELY addictive and I can't see myself putting it down anytime soon despite my already countless hours. Would highly recommend to any strategy or Medieval lover.
  54. Aug 17, 2010
    Warband, even though many people may not have patience for such a game nowadays, is excellent. It features very deep gameplay mechanics that are hard to come by for a game of this genre, and a enormous community following. Not that the original game is bad at all, but the mods that have been created for this game lend even more towards it's fun and re-playability. An excellent game for any would-be knight of the past! Perhaps the best of it's kind, in that case! Expand
  55. Sep 14, 2010
    Mount & Blade Warband is a medieval warfare simulator placing a first person avatar in command of small units or warbands. Set in a redrawn map of the European continent you can deposed monarchs and become a king yourself. Graphically the game is built on a robust engine, that is fairly bare boned, this is deliberate as the designers, TaleWorlds, are an inhouse team. This means mods can add very impressive levels of detail but combined with the potential of the default engine (400 corpses and their equipment littering the field of battle) can crash even the mightiest of PC's. Default game graphics are good enough and can be quite captivating although the battlefields are a little sparse of foliage at times. It is not a pretty game but it can have flashes of wonder. The type of gamer who will play M&B:W wont care that much though about graphics. The gameplay consists of primarily first person wandering around towns and villages speaking to the guild masters, lords, and village elders about fairly traditional fetch, escort quests with some nice rescue, pay the ransom and capture the spy missions. These tasks improve your favour allowing you to recruit troops in greater number, trade in towns at a discount or in the later game sway lords to your military or political needs.

Starting with a rag tag band of peasants you slowly grow into a capable army. With troops becoming more experienced and levelling they go from a peasant to a footman to man at arms & finally knights with the power and durability on the battlefield that entails. As your troops grow so do you. A fairly decent RPG system allows you to develop as a warrior, statesman or trader. Even as a surgeon, allowing some of your troops to survive despite their KIA status at the end of battles. The level component of the engine does not restrict your actions in the game. You dont have to be level 12 to use that sword or any other artificial constraint but you do have to have hefty skills to use bows & thrown weapons. Charming your chosen wife into marrying you requires Persuasion as does convincing her father to side with you in the civil war your about to start. So skill choices have a effect on late game actions. But thankfully you can recruit 'companions' who round out other areas of ytour skill base, provide an unkillable (they can be badly wounded & out of the fight for days though) part of your army and you can equip & level them as you see fit.

Most of the gameplay occurs riding around the rather bland world map chasing fleeing groups of enemy forces & avoiding large warbands of not fleeing enemy forces :D. While the AI can be rather irksome it generally engages when it can win and avoids fights when it cant. Recent patches allow the AI to use nearby allies in combat meaning small groups can dog pile in on your 'sure thing'.

The real meat on Mount & Blades bones is the battles. Prior to battles a few mano-e-mano fights on foot, either training peasants, or thrashing some muggers or drunks in bars are the main stay. Battles supporting 150 very individual fighters going at it are amazing. With a skill called Tactics affecting your disposition & ratio of troops and Looting affecting the prize for the fight, in addition to the value of the target affecting your renown and reputation you can gain alot from picking a fight well. Rudimentary commands can be issued to archers, infantry & cavalry and micro tactics can be used but generally your troops manage to stand in a line until they are hit with a wave of cavalry or bow shot. What the game engine allows for however is detail & precision in the combat. I have shot a man in the face through the legs of half a dozen charging infantry. I have used ballistic trajectory to drop an arrow on someones head through ramparts. Melee is a little rougher but the weapons function approipriately with two handers cutting through a riders leg, the horse and at the end of its swing the man next to the horse. It is very capable and requires you to use nuances of the engine in blocks and attacks dependant on the weapon your using. This challenging and rewarding mechanism allows you to be a devastation force when your skilled enough but puts you firmly in your place enough spear points will kill you :D. Levelling isnt some artificial RPG nonsense for power it allows options.

The game is at its best when you ride through the enemy lines lance and sabre in hand and sweep the enemy strongpoints with a cadre of heavy knights & tooled up companions behind you. One important battle detail worth noting is your troops gear. Each man is individual, I have seen peasants pull out cleavers, clubs, knives & daggers while wearing a seelction of hats, and a selection of shirts. Against it, the AI can be fairly dull (enemy lords particularly charging straight to contact), but it does do a very good job of creating a confused and messy battlefield a trademark of the medieval period
  56. Oct 7, 2010
    This is truly a unique and engrossing game play experience. Most games have you progress straight up until you finish the game, but in this game any shred of linearity is gone. The graphics are just decent, but that is a natural limit of this kind of game where over a hundred characters can be on screen at the same time, fighting. Replay value is incredible, and that's just the single player part, and the multiplayer is an equally long-lived joy. Overall a 9 because the graphics don't stack up to today's games in some ways. Expand
  57. Nov 7, 2011
    Great game. One the best i'have ever played. If this game would have good graphic engine they would ruin skyrim! Buy it - and they will!
    Awesome story - you can make your own kingdom!
  58. Jun 29, 2014
    This game is a little bland on its own, it doesn't have much in the way of story, but for a medieval world game, it hits spot on with the gameplay, the controls can be a bit hard to get used to, but once you do the game is very enjoyable, it just lacks a decent story.

Luckily the modding community have managed to make some truly great mods for it. I am currently playing a mod based on
    the George R. R. Martin book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" called "A clash of kings", the title of the second book in the series. And I am having a hard time stopping sometimes.

If the game had the story that some of the mods provide in the unmodded game, it would be a solid 10 for me, but even without it it is still a great game, and the mods are available, just difficult to find sometimes.
  59. Feb 3, 2011
    The game mechanics are engrossing. The interface sufficient. But... this sandbox game cries out for a story mode or more casually achievable goals. It desperately tries to be all things to all players: strategic, tactical, romantic, historic, deeply playable, casually playable, replayable and just plain fun. It barely keeps a head above water on average.

Fortunately the programmers
    made it modifiable and the mod community around it is unbelievably prolific. If the engine can handle it, the game will eventually take on the depth of a Tolkien novel (but probably without the fantasy elements).

It is the medieval "Counter-strike". Here's hoping the devs "Source" it.
  60. Feb 12, 2011
    This game was such a wonderful surprise. Bought for me by a friend through Steam I almost didn't play it. I'm sad that there were a few weeks where I had this installed but didn't bother to start it up. I was not aware of the original game so the sand box / freeplay world is just so exciting and refreshing. You really get to play any type of character you like and seek out your own future. For me it is very much like a offline MMORPG, but much better and without all the annoying 11 year olds calling you a noob. Fantastic game. Expand
  61. Aug 23, 2012
    Extremely unique and extremely fun. I have put more time into this than every other rpg for a long time. If you don't like sandbox games then you won't like the single player at all but if you like medieval warfare at all then you will love the multiplayer.
  62. Nov 28, 2011
    Really enjoyed this game. I got it for next to nothing in a Steam sale. I had a vague idea of what it was about but I had never played the orginal. Within a week I had racked up hours on end of gameplay. It is quite unique and I absolutely loved how FPS battles have been combined with tactical, RPG and strategy elements. Sure theres a few edges that can be smoothed out, but for the price its a no-brainer. I would love to see some of the bigger developers (notably Bethesda) try something along these lines. Also the dozens of really cool mods out there really add to the longevity and scope of this game. A pleasant surprise. Expand
  63. Nov 17, 2011
    Love this game, especially how it combines rpg with medieval warfare and economics. It is a whole new way to feel the traditional medieval tale of a young man (or woman) going from nothing to everything. The game scales great from you having nothing but a sword and your horse to you controlling an entire army of a hundred men or more. Especially if they are all cavalry to charge the enemy down.. I spend many hours on this game, trying different methods, armies, factions and character developement. You can do so many different things and it is amazing how such a small team of developers can create something so wast and full of entertainment. The only really bad thing about the game is the sieges, where the AI is somewhat stupid and you can have a hard time to get into a castle (as the only way is over the wall by a ladder or two. But it is not that big of a deal and you should really try it out! Remember to set settings on realistic, as it gives the best experience in my opinion. Expand
  64. Sib
    May 3, 2011
    The game on itself is good. Has some downsides and bugs, but in general is really good. With mods it gets amazing. You just gotta join the community to truly realize its potential!
  65. Feb 14, 2012
    The best medieval game ever. Combat is the best part of the game, the controls are perfect, leading your army from behind or throwing yourself in the middle of the fight, sieging castles, everything is nicely done and very fun.

Single player campaign has hundreds of hours of gameplay, mod community is very active, multiplayer is glorious.

Great game.
  66. Apr 18, 2012
    This game has a very unique combination of RPG, Action, and Strategy elements that adds a nice fresh combination to the RPG genre. There are a lot of things to do in this indie game, and there are a lot of items you can receive. The game itself barely suffers from any glitches (surprisingly) and it's obvious that it took a lot of work to make this game. Most people get angry over the graphics of this title, but truth be told it's an RPG and with one as massive as this one I find graphics an excusable element, but for graphics I took '-1' off of the score. This game really is a 9/10 for me. I've had so much fun playing this incessantly and building my own kingdom with my own knights. Can't wait for the second game Expand
  67. Nov 24, 2012
    I have literally played this game for over 300 hours after the initial purchase. The vanilla single-player, while lacking a tad, is amazing and quite unique. Becoming a Lord is no easy task and takes time, with becoming a respectable king/queen even longer. The multiplayer is an entirely different experience. The skill curve is higher than most games, and it takes quite some time to become like the pros. There are tons of mods, and the developers encourage modding their game which is something every developer should do for their PC launches. Graphics are 'outdated' but authentic and believable. Sounds are good. After playing several mods I wish the developers added more diplomatic features or more variety in terms of troop trees and locations. It's a great game, and is well worth more than the selling price. I cannot wait for Mount and Blade 2. Expand
  68. Jul 6, 2012
    One of the best games I have played in years. Would absolutely recommend this game to anyone who enjoys medieval combat. There are so many ways to play. Trader, ambassador, warrior etc. I myself prefer commanding armies on the battlefield. Coming up with different troop formations etc. Its awesome. I'm not very good at the multiplayer admittedly & I think 2H weapons need to be balanced in MP, but other than that, a wonderful game. Expand
  69. May 31, 2012
    Love this game. A lot more added features compared to the original M&B and there's so much opportunities. I read the comments below and I must agree that the game is especially good in the matter that the Calardia will run by itself without the player. But The Player has a possibility to change it, like everyone else.
  70. Jul 15, 2012
    I've played this game for over 250 hours. This game is simply amazing, there's just so much to do! From traveling across open plains and helping foreign lords get rid of simple outlaws, to fighting massive battles alongside the greatest of kings and against the strongest of foes. Once you conquer your own castle, nothing can possibly deny your ascension to the throne! Revolt against your overlords and rule Calradia from your capital! Expand
  71. Jul 18, 2012
    This was a unique game, but I will give this review to this certain expansion since it was the greatest.
    Mount & Blade offers a different way to play a real-time-strategy game. The graphics are above average, the soundtracks are fit to the themes and the mechanics are well-thought out. Instead of sitting back and watching your troops in a battle, you can immerse in the fight yourself,
    which is a mechanic rarely seen in an RTS game. This game focuses more on skill than equipment, and it actually takes precision to use a bow effectively. A good game which is perfect for people that love medieval warfare, and always wished to be that master bowman! Expand
  72. Jul 21, 2012
    This is more a review on the expansion Napoleonic Wars. Not only is dose this expansion take a certain prowess to play its that 'certain' prowess that also makes the game absolutely hysterical. for example: stalking an enemy fifer away from the heat of battle into possibly the most remote section of the map only to find that the first two notes into his patriotic whistling was met blissfully with the sound of my sword cutting through his poorly animated torso and the end of yet another enemy fifer.. (on till of course he re spawns in which case ill have to go searching for him again) or to join the bobbing session in the band of your alley bobbing frantically to the sound of the bag pipes on top of the fort we are so posed to be protecting.. only to be met with a thundering artillery attack obliterating the sound of our fortuitous quest to kick the arss of every french man in the enemy ranks thus splaying our corpses into a perfect star shape on the top of our crumbling fort and the end of yet another broken band.. there are endless moments of hilarity in this game and is undeniably a grate laugh. Expand
  73. Nov 8, 2012
    This is a great game! Its one of the best medieval open-ended RPG's around, and you'll find you spend an easy 40 hours in-game before you even think of playing anything else. The improvements from the original Mount & Blade are all good, but there aren't really enough of them to call this a full sequel. If you're new to the franchise, I'd recommend starting here, but if you already have the first Mount & Blade, there isn't really much reason to buy Warband, unless you're a real fan of the series, which I admit that I am. Expand
  74. Mar 31, 2013
    Great game, picked up for 10 euros and got way much than i expected. Played over 80+ hours and still loving it. Game is challenging and very fun at the same time.
  75. Aug 20, 2014
    I've managed to play over 600 hours on this game getting all the single player steam achievements. I highly recommend using Diplomacy Mod or any other mod with Diplomacy built in. I sucked hard at low levels, but kept at it until I ruled all Calradia. This has been one of the few games I've bought recently where I know I got my money's worth.
  76. Dec 17, 2012
    I bought this game expecting nothing. It gave me everything. The single player is amazing. Multiplayer is the weak point. Single player is like a Medieval Times version of Grand Theft Auto. Do what you want. Get strong. Wreck people. Be a king.
  77. Dec 19, 2012
    This game is really special, its not just the original game play, its not just the amazing community, its the mods, do you want a harder game, got it . Do you want to be a samurai, cowboy, Stark knight, British Warlord , Roman Centurion, Napoleonic soldier, you can have it ,in all the amazing mods .
    But if you need nice graphics, this is not your game
  78. Oct 30, 2013
    This is a fantastic, fantasy sandbox game. Emphasis on the sandbox. PROs: the modding community is absolutely fantastic, it's what makes the game so great. Fun combat, very immersive, distinct factions, cool battles and sieges, mounted combat. Graphics are ok. There are patches that really make them great. CONs: it's sandbox, you have to largely make your own adventure which some people might find difficult. Starting out your guy is pretty weak and you have to play a while to be able to field a large army. Its a great game and its on sale often. Go grab it. Expand
  79. Feb 18, 2013
    Lots of lots of fun. The singleplayer is amazing! So chill :D many hours of entertainment! Unfortunately you'll notice while playing that it's not exactly a new game.
  80. Mar 2, 2013
    Mount and Blade: Warband beats it's predecessor and successors, hands down. Warband is the best of the series. However, in comparison to the original, Warband only adds a new faction and more varying missions. I feel that mounted combat in specific is worse here in Warband than in the original. Nonetheless, Warband will make you spend tens of hours playing.
  81. Mar 13, 2013
    Fantastic game, so much content, great user made modifications. Awesome Napoleonic wars DLC. I got so much fun out of campaign and multiplayer game play.
  82. Jun 26, 2013
    300+ and I haven't lost interest in warband.

First of if you need good graphics to enjoy a game your wasting your time here, tbh the graphics are poor.
    If you look past this however theres an addictive game with brilliant combat mechanic's and decent multiplayer.

However what really makes this game is the mods, there 100s of different conversion mods which keep gameplay fresh and exciting.
  83. Sep 11, 2013
    you might ask yourself is Mount & Blade Warband worth the money well i am here to tell ou that it is and heres why theres nice graphics (for a small game) great gameplay that never gets old amd of course you get to have your own bussiness in towns and make your own kingdom which you couldnt d in the previous game after playing for like 200+ hours i haven't found to many issues theres a few glitches here and there but nothing game breaking, however you can easily exploit the AI at certain points and you can get highly annoyed by bandit camps because when you leave them alone they get out of cotrol fast like i fought like 10 bandit groups of like 60 bandits that is crazy but they do help for leveling your guys like crazy. Multiplayer is ok not the best but ok so overall i would give this game a 9/10 oh and this is not an easy game it is very hard at first but when you understand it it makes sense and you just go around the map owning everyone Expand
  84. May 17, 2014
    Truly great game, will definitely go down as a classic.
    From a great battle engine that allows you to engage in combat realistically, to use of differing items such as horses, shields, bows, swords etc., you really do get a great feel for the game and the kit you buy/capture.
    This is far superior to the shambles that is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, as you get used to attacking and
    defending with different weapons, and it actually works rather well; you will become accustomed to timing in a more intuitive way.
    The map is impressive, whilst the missions make up for some entertaining outcomes!
    This game had the feel of Elite (to all those old 80's/90's gamers!), open ended, and allowing you to progress at your own rate.
    What made this game particularly special though, were the sheer amount of modded gaming engines available to download. I played the Roma Bellum mod, and the only description I can give is superb.
    Makes not for hours of play, but weeks and months, as the open ended nature of the game allows you to tackle your goals in any way you desire.
  85. Nov 1, 2013
    Warband added some cool things, and some not cool things. The first thing I have to point out is that they destroyed the charge system on horseback. In some scenarious I am trying to poke an enemy with a lance or spear but fail to do so because of the horrible charge timing(how fast the player swings), it might just be my skill, but the original game play on horseback(charging etc.)was better. I like that there are a little more units. I don't like that whenever I am in a arena, everyone charges at me. The enemies could be running next to each other, but they are running at me. I feels like 2 guys are just constantly spamming hits at you, you really just die at that point. Expand
  86. Sep 22, 2013
    While some might argue other similar games offer prettier graphics, none offer such a deep gameplay and the replayability M&B offers. Mount & Blade: Warband also comes with a plethora of interesting mods including some based existing lore like LOTR, ASoIaF heck even Star Wars while others are purely new like Prophesy of Pendor and Eagle and the Radiant Cross. Warband is the best in the Mount and Blade series and its smart, fast and fun combat mechanics will always have you coming back for more even months after you think you're done with the game! Expand
  87. Oct 12, 2013
    mount and blade warband would be a 10 if it was a little more polished with a few bugs but other than that if you are patient, like RTS/ACTION/MEDIEVAL types of games then this is a definite pickup i would pay for this game three times over
  88. Oct 21, 2013
    While the game may not be the prettiest one around, it still one of the games with the most variety. You can make your character go from a lowly street beggar to the king of the continent. The game allows you to do whatever you want whenever you want, sure it may not have an intense story like TES but the game play is just wonderful.
  89. Dec 3, 2013
    Quite simply one of the best games I've ever played. The graphics leave a lot to be desired and the learning curve is steep, but the combat and rpg elements are exceptional, and if you set goals and roleplay you'll find yourself completely immersed in a narrative you created yourself.
  90. Jan 27, 2014
    Brillant game, one of my favorites, recommendable. Wonderful multiplayer, great community of players, nice maps, a lot of fun. Real medieval times, no dragons, no magic. Of course fractions are imaginary but based on real. We have a lot of mods, I recommend Floris Mod Pack - significantly expands game for single player, game gets even better and more extensive.
  91. Feb 27, 2014
    A really great game. The graphic (real-time-battles) isn't very good, but the battles are epic and fast and so it doesn't matter. The graphic of the "strategic" map is also not very good, but good enough for a map and after all very detailed. Every other things in M&B Warband are just awesome, The RPG-part is very deep and you have a lot of different ways of skilling your char. the battles are just epic. a lot of Units, massive cavalry attack, archers, everything that a medieval-game Needs. And there are hundreds of items, from Food to weapons, nearly everything. you can Play as a Bandit, an Lord or king or as a merchant, and every way is funny and difficult. and you can Play this game hundreds of hours and Play it again and again, every single start is unique. Expand
  92. Jul 6, 2014
    Mount & Blade: Warband - WOW, was my first reaction playing this game. Although the graphics are not awesome, it doesn't even mind. It's the "most sandbox" game I've ever played. True, you cannot run through cities and visit bars, clubs etc., cause it's medieval game.
    You start as a yourself-created person looking for a new life in a land called Calradia. I'm not gonna tell you what you
    can do in this game, because you can do everything. Here are at least the main aspects:
    •RPG System - As you fight, complete quests you earn experience which helps you to wear new armor, weapons, horses, allows you to lead bigger army and MANY other advantages.
    •Battles - The fighting system and horse riding is incredibly fun and awesome. It's very realistic so it mostly depends on your skill. You can even defeat many enemies self if you are skilled enough.
    •Factions - You may help one faction to earn respect, improve your relationships (which is very important) or help other factions as well, fight against enemy lords, help villagers, get married etc. Later you can also create own faction and possibly conquer other factions and the whole Calradia!

Problem is, the game is easy to learn, OK, but very Very VEry VERy VERY HARD to master.

9/10 - Warning! Game might ruin your life.
  93. Jul 11, 2014
    One of the best medieval fighting games ever made. Multiplayer is addiktive and gives more feel and options than most bigger titles. Single player is fine too with so many mods, Mount & Blade series allways had huge and great modding community.

Ever dreamed of playing multiplayer map defending helm's deep against horde of individual enemies? Then this is your game.

Mount and Blade
    (2): Bannerlord, Im waiting you! Expand
  94. Sep 24, 2014
    Good rpg for novice in this grade. But I think there is not enough things to do for longer play. So game is exciting for first 20 hours, later you must download mods or get fun on cheats.
  95. Aug 23, 2010
    This is a fun game. Even though it looks like the original after playing awhile you will be able to see some differences.
    while the graphics aren't the best in this game it's not the part that counts. The game play is fun and addicting if you like this style of game. Start your own kingdom join another kingdom own your own castle town or village. Dominate the land along side your army,
    companions, and king/queen. Also you can always try the demo before you buy! Expand
  96. Jun 30, 2013
    The multiplayer is where this game shines. If you have played the Total War games and always wanted to get in the mix in 1st/3rd person, then this is the game. 200 player maps and realistic medieval combat. I only reason I gave it "only" and 8 is because the graphics could be better, but they are not that bad for it's age.
  97. Jul 15, 2011
    This game all comes down to personal preference, You will either love it, or hate it. Personally, i loved it, this is my definition of a free roam RPG. But it is not only an RPG, it feels like a strategy game also. There are so many elements to the game its rediculous, this is what makes the game fun. HOWEVER, i have encountered numerous bugs in the game, the quests can be really annoying, and there are pretty bad consequences for losing a battle. Also, the graphics aren't the best, and the game seems a little.. stale, that is where imagination comes in however, unlike other games such as Dragon Age: Origins, you do not follow a guided storyline, you kindof make your own, and that is what i really like about the game. Expand
  98. Oct 15, 2011
    The game play in warband has been improved with additional features. players can now kick enemies, making their foes open to an attack. Enemies are more difficult to hit because the hitboxes were changed to be more accurate. he singleplayer mode has been improved quite a bit. There is a wider variety of areas. Villages and castles now have a more unique feel for each faction.
    The player
    can now become a king or queen, and may marry a lord or a lord's daughter.
    There are more characters and scenarios in the custom battle mode. However I found the multiplayer mode is terribly done and unblanced. but I definitely recommend this to new players of the seires.
  99. Mar 10, 2011
    Warband brings some interesting new concepts to Mount and Blade. Better graphics, more intuitive interface, a new overhead map,some new castles and a few more things to do such as marry or start a buisness. Wtih that said the gameplay is basically the same as the original and the dialogue still feels like I'm talking to a sack full of rocks trying to fit into human society.
    Where this
    game really shines is in multiplayer. Warband multiplayer is a bit unlike anything I've tried before. This is the only game I've played where real time close combat is done right. The learning curve may be high but those people who keep at it for awhile will find warband to be one of the most intense and rewarding multiplayer game for some time. Expand
  100. Mar 16, 2011
    M&B:W is not a particularly beautiful game. This was brought home to me early on when practice-fighting in Praven's arena. As my sword curved up, my neck (which was a different colour to the rest of me) appeared to detach from my shoulders. Oh well. It's only a flesh wound. That said, the graphics aren't bad: just unpolished. The combat is frankly the best I have ever seen from a first-person hack and slash: I only hope that Bethesda are paying attention to it for the Elder Scrolls V. Mounted combat is thrilling and exhillerating. Issuing orders to my army felt second nature after a while. It is difficult to express just how enjoyable it is to engage 50 enemy spearmen and archers with my own infantry and archers, then have my cavalry flank the enemy and turn those proud lines into an utter rout. Where this game does falter, apart from the graphics, is the role play element. Quests and characters seem to have been lifted from a game 15 years older: while perfectly adequate, they don't provide much in the way of immersion. But M&B is the only game I've come across which offers the opportunity to build and control a warband from a first person perspective, without sacrificing anything in the way of action. I wouldn't be without it. Expand

Although there is still room for improvement, Warband's excellent combat system, respectable multiplayer and a lifespan that will prove to be a total timesink means that the game is well worth the USD$29.99 price tag on Steam. Fans of the action RPG genre and medieval games in general would do well to pick this one up.
    All in all, Mount and Blade: Warband is a great game, even despite its flaws. The overall concept is satisfying, and with a more heavyweight publisher behind the team at TaleWorlds, this is one game that could be absolutely great.
  3. On the one hand, there are the open world and the freedom to do what you want to do, on the other hand, the world is lifeless. It's a great game for some people, but the opposite for most.