MVP Baseball 2004 PC

7.9

1. JeffJ.
    Nov 24, 2004
    This game is unbelievable. I'm anxious to get my hands on the next product to see where they go from here with the features of the current year's game.
  2. DougD.
    Mar 12, 2004
    This game has brought the gameplay aspect of baseball games to new heights. The pitching system is undoubtedly fun, and very realistic. On opening day I had Pedro with 12 K's through 7, and when I brought him out in the 8th, I noticed it was getting harder and harder to place the ball, leading to two singles and my yanking of him. Fielding grounders has never been more fun, even This game has brought the gameplay aspect of baseball games to new heights. The pitching system is undoubtedly fun, and very realistic. On opening day I had Pedro with 12 K's through 7, and when I brought him out in the 8th, I noticed it was getting harder and harder to place the ball, leading to two singles and my yanking of him. Fielding grounders has never been more fun, even diving for that fly ball can make your heart skip a beat. If you were to just give me the actualy gameplay, I would rate this game a 10.5/10. However, there are some drawbacks. Most notably is the absence of all players not registered with the MLBPA, Barry Bonds is one, and Kevin Millar is another. There are many more, this should not count against the score of the game however since none of the other games in the genre carry these players either. Another is the Dynasty Mode. At 120 years (ridiculous!), it can keep you playing for months. However, you are forced to play a 162 game schedule. You cannot set the length of the season, forcing you to use their "Momentum" meters. Pretty much, each game is rated in importance 1 to 10. The more important games you win, the more momentum you gain, the more momentum you gain, the better chance you win simulated games. Forcing you to simulate games against the tigers, devil rays, and reds and playing games against teh A's, Yanks and Braves. I wish you could have set a season length of 30 or 40 games (like in high heat), and just played out the entire season. Another fault is the complete lack of statistics. They keep stats during the season but not year to year. Therefore, at the beginning of your second season in dynasty mode, you cannot see how your players in your lineup faired the year before. This is a pure console port, they did not put anytime into upgrading the interface in the matter of statistics or the GUI. Weird things like having to click on a player, then hit the "select" button, and then select another player and then select the "substitute" button could have easily been redone. Overall, I think it's a game that will keep people coming back for the incredible gameplay it offers, I have never had more fun in game. It will not however satisfy my baseball Sim/Managing instincts. Its clunky interface makes it difficult and the lack of year to year stats makes the dynasty mode a little empty. Expand
  3. GuyIncognito
    Mar 14, 2004
    Only play this on the PC if you have the proper gamepad, otherwise you will hate this game. I only got into it after I hacked the registry so that my unsupported gamepad would work. One thing that pisses me off is that they don't show the catcher throwing the ball back to the pitcher after a pitch. What the hell is that? Also, you'd think there would be more animations and Only play this on the PC if you have the proper gamepad, otherwise you will hate this game. I only got into it after I hacked the registry so that my unsupported gamepad would work. One thing that pisses me off is that they don't show the catcher throwing the ball back to the pitcher after a pitch. What the hell is that? Also, you'd think there would be more animations and whatnot since it seems like you see the same ones over and over again. Expand
  4. CarlosA.
    Sep 16, 2004
    The best baseball game ever done. JUST COMPARE TO OTHER GAMES AND FEEL THE DIFFERENCE.

1. All new pitching and hitting interface make the game approachable for beginners but with nice subtleties to keep even great players still working to fine tune their game.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    MVP makes up for its lack of polish with good looks and plenty of polish. [June 2004, p.85]
  3. The best baseball game that’s hit the PC in a very long time. It’s pretty, it’s smart and it’s packing a deep pool of gameplay options that’ll keep you going well after this year’s World Series is put to rest.