NASCAR: The Game 2013 PC

4.8

1. Jul 25, 2013
    Let me start this off by saying that I am not a NASCAR fan, I get all I know from the sport off of sportcenter when trying to watch something I actually care about. But I do LOVE racing games, I'm pretty damn good at them too.

PROs: Having never played a NASCAR game that was actually based on real NASCAR I've got to say that playing with a controller and less control in that big mob of cars trying not to crash at 170 mph is quite frankly one of the coolest experiences I've ever had in a racing game and truly had me on the edge of my seat. The racing experience is rather solid. A career mode is always a good thing and even though it's not fully fleshed out (as far as I can tell I just finished Daytona).

Critiques: I'm putting these here because they may not be cons for everyone. I see a lot of reviews on here about how the AI crashes too much. I played my Daytona at 200 laps and almost every caution was my fault. I was in some pretty rough crashes and was able to continue, perhaps if big crashes like this happen you should be out of the race if that's your thing.

Cons: It seems as if the game is unfinished almost like the Developers didn't get a chance to add everything they wanted. (wouldn't be the first time a publisher pushed a game out before it was ready.) There have been one or two freezes that were kind of bad. I think that being a rookie driver in NASCAR should be more difficult, I've seen how much trouble Danica Patrick has had making the transition on sportscenter. I'm playing on Hard difficulty and I finished 4th in Daytona simply by making my pit stop times add up correctly and being one of the guys who doesn't pit on lap 195, this could have been because I messed with the gas thing a bit. I'll know the next race. Let me create a driver with a portrait and do interviews and stuff in between races, these kinds of things add to the experience and allow you to make up your own story, having driver rivalries and stuff like that would also be cool.

Overall Impressions: It's a solid racing game, with a better career mode than most (it has one). It had me a more tense than most racing games I've playing in a while. I had to actually work to get position despite the aforementioned ease in tricking the AI with pit stops. AI causing crashes there were only 2 in the 200 laps I ran last race, the other 7 were because I tried to move over or my car went a little too high.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    Ultimately, NASCAR games have been one of the greatest stepping stones in the budding career of a sim racing enthusiast. Many drivers can recall countless hours spent fine-tuning their setups on NASCAR ‘99 for the original PlayStation, signing their first multimillion dollar sponsor on the legendary NASCAR Thunder 2004, or turning their daydreams into reality by purchasing a Nextel CupUltimately, NASCAR games have been one of the greatest stepping stones in the budding career of a sim racing enthusiast. Many drivers can recall countless hours spent fine-tuning their setups on NASCAR ‘99 for the original PlayStation, signing their first multimillion dollar sponsor on the legendary NASCAR Thunder 2004, or turning their daydreams into reality by purchasing a Nextel Cup team in NASCAR 07. While the occasional challenger appeared, offering innovating new career modes and racing series, EA’s long-running NASCAR franchise experienced both immense highs and devastating lows, going from critically acclaimed to universally hated in less than a decade. Incredibly detailed career modes were steadily phased out, extra tracks and game modes suddenly went missing, and by the final game in the series, NASCAR 09, even the four makes involved in the 2008 NASCAR Sprint Cup season did not appear in-game, in favor of a generic set of brand markings for all cars.

If, like me, you’re not well-versed in NASCAR, you’re probably thinking there’s not much track variety at all, however if you only look at the shape of the tracks, you’re right. They’re mostly oval shaped tracks, though there is one track in the game that looks like a ‘normal’ race-track. While the tracks are all the same general shape, the size, banks, corners and pit area are all different. Some tracks are large and wide, allowing you to pull far ahead, driving solo. Some tracks are small and narrow, forcing you to stick with the pack. Some tracks are a mixture. It isn’t until you get out there and drive or in this case play the game that you realize how different these tracks really are.

In NASCAR 2013 there are plenty of customization options to choose from. You can paint your car and stick it with sponsors of your choice. There is a lot of freedom in the design as you can make your own sticker using simple-shaped decals and turn it into one layer. Doing this allows you room to create detailed images and decals for use in recreating real-life stock cars or even creating your very own design Not that you’re likely to run out with 1200 layers available. Visual customization isn’t the only customization available. During season mode you can unlock new sponsors for your car and also upgrade the parts using your race winnings.

There are many different ways to get first place. One is Drafting. Drafting can be driving behind a car to reduce drag, then shooting out from behind it to overtake it this is the type most people are familiar with but it can also mean ‘docking’ your car with another to allow both of you to gain speed. ‘Docking’ is a bit riskier as it can raise engine temperatures, but can have a larger pay-off if you do it correctly. On the other side of ‘Docking’, there’s Blocking. Blocking is simple and just involves positioning your car in a way that stops you being overtaken, but trying to keep this up can easily cause a crash and a caution this could cause loss of position. Interestingly, while crashing brings up a caution flag, you can use this to your advantage and gain some positions by bringing the whole pack closer to first place and gaining positions on driver who decide to pit under a caution. Finding a balance between all of these techniques can be fun and cause for experimentation.

In my experience of multiplayer, coming into this as a rookie, I was destroyed. In the races I participated in online, everyone was much faster than me from the starting line, almost as if their cars were more powerful. I think the reason for this is single-player upgrades carrying over to multi-player. In multi-player, the only race option is a normal race. This was a little bit disappointing. There is plenty of control over the parameters of the race, which somewhat makes up for the lack of other modes.

NASCAR 2013 does enough to redeem itself from the negative pre-conceptions of the sport, but only if you give it the chance to. While there are a few minor bugs to be found, they don’t detract from the well-polished and fun core experience. NASCAR 2013 is full of little touches that neatly tie the package together. From the ambient garage in the menus to your character’s feet moving in first-person view, there are lots of little touches that just tie the game together well.
  3. Jul 24, 2013
    NASCAR: The Game 2013 is overall a solid sim-cade title. Much like Codemasters "F1" titles, it offers a semi-authentic racing experience with polished graphics. If you have the right equipment, it can actually be an extremely enjoyable experience.

Using a controller can be quite frustrating, so I personally recommend a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel. The force feedback is absolutely atrocious in this game, so I also recommend using the centering spring in the wheel instead and turning all in-game feedback settings off.

The online multiplayer is extremely buggy much like the console version. But the single player is very polished in comparison to the console version. The AI is more responsive, but they do still randomly brake check on super speedways in the lower difficulties. The car upgrade system is very basic and kind of pointless in my opinion. It is also virtually impossible to finish well in the harder difficulties in career mode until you have a vast majority of the upgrades.

The paint booth feature is a strong point for this game, you can get very in depth with your paint schemes and even recreate old obsolete schemes from your favorite drivers if you want to take the time to do so.

Overall, the game is solid and much better than its predecessor and console counterpart. It includes all sprint cup tracks and regular drivers and offers a fun NASCAR experience for PC. That is something that we have not been able to say in over 10 years.
  4. Aug 31, 2013
    Well..it looks pretty.. the tracks are nice... that is all I can "honestly" say about this title.. They dropped the ball big time on this one..

LAG LAG LAG.. the whole Multiplayer is screwed in this title.. very poor performance.. no ping limiter.. you will be hard pressed to get 5 people to go around the track 2 times without LAG! A MONTH after the first MP race weekend.. There is a

A MONTH after the first MP race weekend.. There is a “second” Beta running that suppose to fix some issues.. nothing is mentioned in steam forums as to what and when this will happen. You would think a company that makes games would know how to update their community..as broken as it is.. I assume they will add some steam server list thing and nothing else for multiplayer. The whole title is just an assumption at this point. disgraceful... buyer beware...
  5. AWG
    Aug 13, 2013
    The worst AI from a racing game I've ever experienced. Cars will keep driving on their prearranged paths no matter if there's another one (including you) blocking the way. "AI balancing is still on-going and the team is hard at work on it". Too bad this would have been done BEFORE the game release, not three weeks later.
    I don't know. I tried to love this game because I really wanted to
    I don't know. I tried to love this game because I really wanted to enjoy some different race experience (different from F1 and Rally) but I've never been able to. I'll be happy to change my vote when the Ai is still fixed but for now it's just a 6.

1. Oct 1, 2013
    For some, it may be enough to simply have a new Nascar experience, but as a game, it’s not going to hold an appeal for anyone beyond those who simply want a straightforward replication of the sport.
  2. Aug 23, 2013
    Despite a lot of content, Nascar: The Game 2013 is lacking in almost every gameplay aspect. Please let someone more talented do the Nascar series in the future.
  3. Aug 14, 2013
    If you are a casual racing fan or someone who has not played a racing simulation with any regularity, NASCAR 2013 is not the game for you. The lack of a comprehensive tutorial pretty much prevents you from gaining any sort of entertainment out of it past the first hour or two. But, if you are a fan of NASCAR and its simulations, or if you have plenty of experience with racing simulations, I think you will be able to look past the obstacles and find a relatively enjoyable game within.