8.4

1. Oct 1, 2015
    Deserves every last bit of success. If only we could have full releases of other nostalgic Half-life mods such as Science & Industry that are even half as good as this turned out. One of the greatest, most organic, most extravagant multiplayer experiences ever created.
  2. Jun 24, 2015
    An awesome game, a sequel to the best Half Life 2 mod Natural Selection or NS1, now comes Natural Selection 2 or NS2! BUT there are some problems, it takes too long on the loading screen and times-out a lot in the multiplayer! But over the past few months, I have seen Unknown World Entertainment doing updates to try and fix the problem so I know the company knows about this problem andAn awesome game, a sequel to the best Half Life 2 mod Natural Selection or NS1, now comes Natural Selection 2 or NS2! BUT there are some problems, it takes too long on the loading screen and times-out a lot in the multiplayer! But over the past few months, I have seen Unknown World Entertainment doing updates to try and fix the problem so I know the company knows about this problem and that they are trying to fix it Expand
  3. Dec 22, 2014
    I like the game. Got an upgrade to a brand new machine with all the bells and whistles, so on max settings the game looks really nice. Gameplay is dynamic, I like being commander. Each side, Alien and Marine have asymmetric strategies that they can use to win even if they are losing overall in tech and credits... which is important for giving people a reason to play a losing game.

My

My only negative experience with the game is being steamrolled by one or two really good players on the opposite team. Unfortunately, it only takes one or two out-of-balance players to destroy the game experience for everyone. Since resources are very tight early game, when one player goes 15-0 its pretty much time to forfeit and start again.
  4. Nov 6, 2014
    I have never felt the need to write a review for metacritic until I discovered this game. I wanted to share this masterpiece of a game with the world! Natural Selection 2 is by no means a perfect game, but it is extremely enjoyable, addicting, and just plain fun. This game mixes strategy, first person shooter, and RTS elements all into one game. If shooters aren't your thing, then youI have never felt the need to write a review for metacritic until I discovered this game. I wanted to share this masterpiece of a game with the world! Natural Selection 2 is by no means a perfect game, but it is extremely enjoyable, addicting, and just plain fun. This game mixes strategy, first person shooter, and RTS elements all into one game. If shooters aren't your thing, then you can jump into the hive (yeah ALIENS!) or the command chair. Teamwork leads to victory and having a strong and cooperative team will bring you far. Both sides, the Frontiersmen (marines) and the kharaa (aliens) have unique strategies and combat options. If you're a fan of the alien franchise you'll probably love this game. NS2 is what Aliens Colonial Marines should have been like- fast paced and full of alien destruction. NS2 has a great rookie-friendly community all of who are always available to help out. So please, buy this amazing game! Expand
  5. Oct 27, 2014
    Best game i ever played, deserves more than the entire CoD Franchise ever did. The graphic effects are sublime and immersive. with smooth gameplay, aliens and marines, extra AI units, and to top it all off its just fun. No question about it.
  6. Oct 25, 2014
    Easily my favorite Multiplayer. Its really a shame that this game is losing players (dont get me wrong, there's still plenty of people who play - die hards at that). Unknown Worlds really dropped the ball by letting this opportunity slip away. I know people don't like microtransactions, but that could have kept the studio releasing updates consistently instead of abandoning the game andEasily my favorite Multiplayer. Its really a shame that this game is losing players (dont get me wrong, there's still plenty of people who play - die hards at that). Unknown Worlds really dropped the ball by letting this opportunity slip away. I know people don't like microtransactions, but that could have kept the studio releasing updates consistently instead of abandoning the game and giving reigns to the community. They're a great studio with a great game on their hands - Its the most organic tactical gameplay in a team based online shooter. However, considering the asymetrical teams (aliens vs humans) constant patching and balancing is necessary. Its mostly balanced, but there are times when that doesn't seem to be the case. All in all, the fact remains that I can't play any other game but NS2. Its that good to me. Precisely why, I'm so dissapointed at the Dev not capitalizing on the opportunity to really make this game big. Unkown Worlds, Please return to NS2! Enable ingame microtransactions so you folks can maintain revenue for bug fixes and new maps. Expand
  7. Sep 17, 2014
    This is a game with great potential but falls short of greatness. The community desperately needs more players, who are turned away by the combination of toxic experience of being pubstomped by the pros and being berated by them. The lack of matchmaking prevents this from becoming a more widely appreciated title. A diamond in the rough.
  8. Aug 16, 2014
    i am going to have to give this game a 8 as it is a good game you will find this more into something you would like to play for fun when you are getting bored of your MMO's or your typical FPS games unless you were like me in the past always playing the HL 1 Mod of it then you will have fun. the game does have replay value but a quick warning for 1st time users of this game it will take ai am going to have to give this game a 8 as it is a good game you will find this more into something you would like to play for fun when you are getting bored of your MMO's or your typical FPS games unless you were like me in the past always playing the HL 1 Mod of it then you will have fun. the game does have replay value but a quick warning for 1st time users of this game it will take a long time to load at 1st so you will be expecting that. Expand
  9. Aug 13, 2014
    This is one of those FPS games with a tight knit community, a steep learning curve, and strong inclination towards competitive gaming. Twitch aiming, fast paced skills are necessary. This game is essentially Team Fortress Classic (not that abomination TF2), Counter-Strike, Starcraft, and Tribes all rolled into one game. Close quarter combat and a bevy of skills to learn and master.This is one of those FPS games with a tight knit community, a steep learning curve, and strong inclination towards competitive gaming. Twitch aiming, fast paced skills are necessary. This game is essentially Team Fortress Classic (not that abomination TF2), Counter-Strike, Starcraft, and Tribes all rolled into one game. Close quarter combat and a bevy of skills to learn and master. This game will supply hours of entertainment if you are the type of player who enjoys a challenge. This is not a game for you if you prefer the shoot'rm'up style of battlefield or call of duty. An underground cult classic comes to the modern age. Buy it. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2014
    It's a unique game, with asymmetrical teams, personal resources and team resources, jetpacks, exosuits, aliens that can teleport, fly, take a tonn of damage and more. It's not the easiest game to get into if you haven't looked at any guides or something beforehand but its unusual gameplay is what makes it worthwhile. The gameplay is pretty fast paced and twitchy. You need to play as a teamIt's a unique game, with asymmetrical teams, personal resources and team resources, jetpacks, exosuits, aliens that can teleport, fly, take a tonn of damage and more. It's not the easiest game to get into if you haven't looked at any guides or something beforehand but its unusual gameplay is what makes it worthwhile. The gameplay is pretty fast paced and twitchy. You need to play as a team to succeed. If you try to go lonewolf you will die a lot, and every time you die all upgrades that you've paid for with you personal resources are lost, so you really have a strong incentive to stay alive. The game also have mod support so this means community created maps, skins etc all free content which is great. Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2014
    Always one of the most interesting games in my library. This is a game that blends a lot of different play-styles together in one grand, immensely entertaining arena. The RTS role, the many different alien abilities as well as the FPS style Marines all come together in a well made, and overall balanced game. It's always fun, never repetitive and looks great as well. If you're looking forAlways one of the most interesting games in my library. This is a game that blends a lot of different play-styles together in one grand, immensely entertaining arena. The RTS role, the many different alien abilities as well as the FPS style Marines all come together in a well made, and overall balanced game. It's always fun, never repetitive and looks great as well. If you're looking for something different, this is the game I'd always recommend. Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2014
    I believe this is a masterpiece of game development. I am not sure sure how it is even humanly possible to come up with an idea so complex and put it all together into a working game. It is a blend of RTS and FPS. There are 2 teams with completely different mechanics, units, weapons, special abilities and gameplay. Each team has a commander who views the game from an RTS viewpoint. HeI believe this is a masterpiece of game development. I am not sure sure how it is even humanly possible to come up with an idea so complex and put it all together into a working game. It is a blend of RTS and FPS. There are 2 teams with completely different mechanics, units, weapons, special abilities and gameplay. Each team has a commander who views the game from an RTS viewpoint. He places structures, upgrades units, gives orders etc. The rest of the team plays an FPS. The game is not rookie-friendly, It takes about 20 hours to more-or-less get the whole thing. Loading time is atrocious though... Expand
  13. May 26, 2014
    This is a 10 for the sole purpose of putting the game above 90 where it deserves to be, negative ratings about this game are simply ill informed, or from players who didn't like the fact that clicking with accuracy doesn't get you as far in this as it would in call of duty. It's an incredible game made by a team I've been following since they released natural selection 1, the mod forThis is a 10 for the sole purpose of putting the game above 90 where it deserves to be, negative ratings about this game are simply ill informed, or from players who didn't like the fact that clicking with accuracy doesn't get you as far in this as it would in call of duty. It's an incredible game made by a team I've been following since they released natural selection 1, the mod for half-life. This tiny team has put more on the table for their customers than any company I can think of. And they did it making next to no money. Shame on gamestop for **** on this games future Expand
  14. May 15, 2014
    Any game that doesn't even start gets a zero in my book, because that is how much fun I got out of it. I feel bad for the guy who gifted it to me, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    The biggest problem of Natural Selection has always been that even in the most casual of matchups, there is a heavy reliance on teamwork. There's no way to Rambo in a game like this, which means you're only as strong as the people you're working with. It's great as a high-level competitive e-sport, but for people who just want something to play in their free time, this isn't the rightThe biggest problem of Natural Selection has always been that even in the most casual of matchups, there is a heavy reliance on teamwork. There's no way to Rambo in a game like this, which means you're only as strong as the people you're working with. It's great as a high-level competitive e-sport, but for people who just want something to play in their free time, this isn't the right game. If you're a newbie you're going to get chewed out constantly by people who *know* what they're doing and are really vocal about how bad you are to the entire team (since it isn't just a matter of K/D ratio, you need to coordinate resource captures, base strikes, base defense, buliding, etc. etc.), or you're going to be the guy that knows what he's doing, and feel like a loser for getting frustrated that people who don't play as much as you are ruining a *video game* for you.

Aside from that, the load times are still ridiculously long, and the game has ludicrously high system requirements, either because it isn't well optimized or it's too big for its own good (the longer games go on, the more tech both sides have which means more effects going off at once, and there's also more buildings, more creep for the game to render).

It's a really great concept, but the realization is that a game like this is too massive to be wielded. The engine collapses upon itself regularly, and you aren't going to even be an "average" player without being able to play this game like a full-time job.

The 6 is not because it's a bad game, it's just too ambitious for its own good. I feel like the development team is composed of a bunch of hardcore gamers that are passionate about their work and wanted to take a genius idea they had and share it with the world, but they didn't have anyone around to rein them in and keep them in reality. In NS1 or NS2. Which is a real shame, because if this game was even half of what it is right now, it'd not only remain as a unique multiplayer FPS in a sea of derivative titles, it'd likely actually be a better game all around.
  16. Apr 8, 2014
    Remember guys , Unknowworlds Studio is an indie , small development team but they still can make this great NS2
    Unlike Call of Money : Bla bla-----> every year on Steam take you 49,99$ and another 4DLC 49,99$
    Of course , the money the pour on this NS2 is still small , game still have bugs , performance Until now (2014) UWE have fixed those problem and FPS is increse ,i have to admit
    Until now (2014) UWE have fixed those problem and FPS is increse ,i have to admit that they do a great job compare to Big Company Activision
  17. Jan 6, 2014
    Steep learning curve. Except to loose hard for the first hours, especially when playing alien, which is mostly melee combat. Once you develop a feel for how the various creatures move it is extremely satisfying. Commanding is pretty hard and it takes a bit of brain to master both strategy, tactics and micromanagement.
    The marines are forced to play in small groups if they are to avoid
    The marines are forced to play in small groups if they are to avoid getting eaten by the aliens.
    Without proper team play your team looses, or will have severe difficulties ending the game. All this forces cooperation and discourages the typical CoD behavior, making NS2 a game you can spend hundreds of hours playing.
    From time to time there is an influx of rookies and this strains the community quite a bit as the rookies can easily destroy the game, thinking it is a straight FPS or jumping into the command chair without a clue about what to do. I would advice future commanders to spend some time on Youtube there are lots of great guides.
    If you are going to play this you need a reasonably powerful computer. A mic is in my opinion a hard requirement, at least for the commanders.
    Also, it hardly costs any money anymore.
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    Out of most strategy games, this one is best. Unlike Dota 2, you cannot just rush in and kill; Dota 2 gives that permission. Here in Natural Selection, you actually have to lead and take charge commanding your allies to win the game; you cannot just run in and kill. I was in a 2 hour game against my friend who was on the Marine side, and I was on the Alien side, and I beat him, and he andOut of most strategy games, this one is best. Unlike Dota 2, you cannot just rush in and kill; Dota 2 gives that permission. Here in Natural Selection, you actually have to lead and take charge commanding your allies to win the game; you cannot just run in and kill. I was in a 2 hour game against my friend who was on the Marine side, and I was on the Alien side, and I beat him, and he and I thought it was a lot of fun. I would highly recommend this game to people with a taste in strategy, command, and fight. I'm not sure if the graphics are good, since I had to lower them to improve my computer's performance, but I'm pretty sure the graphics, fighting (PvP), commanding, and the way strategy plays a significant role makes this game completely awesome. Get this game and play with others, I will assure you will have a lot of fun! Expand
  19. Dec 31, 2013
    I believe Natural Selection 2 is a masterpiece of a game, that represents the perfect blend of FPS and RTS game play. It is one of the few games where teamwork and individual skill are highly rewarded. On top of that, the community is accepting of new players and offers a friendly hand to educate those who are new.

Due to the fact that Natural Selection 2 is a hybrid of FPS and RTS game

Due to the fact that Natural Selection 2 is a hybrid of FPS and RTS game play, it allows for very competitive play in that the deciding factor of victory and defeat involves the long term decisions of a commander and/or the quick reactions and overall skill of the individual combatants (whether shooting aliens, or stalking marines). Due to this style of game play, games can very well last over an hour and yet feel very "tight" throughout the entire match.

However, as of now, there is a lack of a ranked match system. The fact that the average game easily lasts over 20 minutes, and longer games tend to last for at least an hour, a very serious deciding factor of the winner is simply how many players leave and join the game. I understand that this is not really a game breaking problem, however due to the fact that players do not have much "loyalty" to their respective team, and the fact that the average match is rather lengthy, if a number of "pro" players join or leave the match during the middle of the game, it could drastically change the fate of the match instantly. I believe that having a sort of ranked match system, like that in Counter Strike: Global Offensive, will serve a very competitive game like Natural Selection 2 justice. Having ranked matches will also remove the occasional "newb stomping" matches, where there is a skill-based team stack.

The game features asymmetrical teams with very different game play styles. This provides for a different style of FPS game play, and not the traditional shooter vs shooter like in most FPS games. I believe that because of this asymmetry, it expands the average gamer's experiences about FPS games in general. However, in Natural Selection 2, because it is also an RTS hybrid, a player could choose from essentially four game play experiences within one match alone which highly increases the game's overall learning curve. These four game play "roles" are: Marine commander, Marine player, Alien commander, and Alien player. Each type of "role" presents new strategies and information upon which the player has to know, and ultimately, having a sense of all the 4 roles is the minimum requirement for being "decent" in the game. Overall, having asymmetrical teams can interest those who are tired of the same-old shooter vs shooter, and because Natural Selection 2 is an asymmetrical FPS/RTS hybrid, such game play increases the overall learning curve to become fully understanding of every aspect, tactics and counter-tactics within the game.

Do not let the lack of a ranked match system and rather difficult learning curve stop you from playing this game however. The lack of a ranked match system simply means that Natural Selection 2 is always going to be played on a "casual" game play setting, which many FPS games have. The difficult learning curve is also easily passed if one simply spends about a good 2 hours playing in a sandbox training server by themselves, learning all of the abilities, techniques, tech-trees, map-knowledge, weapons, and life forms to get that "full" understanding of the 4 game play "roles" I mentioned earlier. Furthermore, if you still need further clarification and help, the overall community in Natural Selection 2 servers are kind, vocal, and willing to help those who ask.

I believe that Natural Selection 2 marks the standard for all asymmetrical and even symmetrical FPS/RTS hybrid games in the future. I would highly recommend this game to anyone, especially those with a background in playing other FPS and RTS games as they could easy apply their knowledge of both game genres into their Natural Selection 2 game play.
  20. Dec 6, 2013
    A bit overrated but still a good game. When i bought this game on steam i wasent expecting much, just a typical online shooter and that's more or less what i got. The game has strategic elements as well but all you do is build structures on territory's you have captured. You get to play as either the aliens or the marines and i found that playing as the aliens was much more fun. you get toA bit overrated but still a good game. When i bought this game on steam i wasent expecting much, just a typical online shooter and that's more or less what i got. The game has strategic elements as well but all you do is build structures on territory's you have captured. You get to play as either the aliens or the marines and i found that playing as the aliens was much more fun. you get to climb on walls and tag enemy players so that other players know where they are. There are about 5 classes on the alien team and all are fun to play as. Now negative things about the game, the game has no xp or leveling up, no customization of characters, no leaderboards or stats so you cant compare scores with friends, which should be in a multiplayer game. Games like CS GO and Planetside 2 have these features and Planetside is free. So why buy this game, because its fun and i enjoyed playing it for a while. But quickly it got a bit repetitive and dident really care if i won or lost. Also there is one game type, no team deathmatch no capture the flag no free for all. The only game type is building up your base and taking the whole map which is a great mode but i want more variety. If you like sci fi shooters then get this game, it only cost me about £4 so you get a good game for the price. Expand
  21. Dec 5, 2013
    The only downside I would consider is that it's really hard to master this game. Not like any other casual FPS game. First games in the game can be a tough experience for someone since it takes much time to fully understand it.
  22. Dec 3, 2013
    It wasn't pleasant to me! To servers it isn't connected, hangs, it is long loaded, all this takes off also for 500! rubles in steam? Battlefield 3 on ultra goes, and natural selection 2 and on averages takes off!
  23. Nov 27, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is a asymmetrical FPS/Strategy hybrid. The game consists of 2 teams; marines and aliens and both sides have a commander. The thing I like most is the map design and the graphics are pretty decent. However, if you’re thinking about picking this up, I wouldn't bother due to the humble bundle, steam sales, patches, the game has not only changed significantly, the communityNatural Selection 2 is a asymmetrical FPS/Strategy hybrid. The game consists of 2 teams; marines and aliens and both sides have a commander. The thing I like most is the map design and the graphics are pretty decent. However, if you’re thinking about picking this up, I wouldn't bother due to the humble bundle, steam sales, patches, the game has not only changed significantly, the community has gone downhill. This game was perfect upon release with the community being the highlight but it has now passed it's golden age, the regulars are long gone with the “balance test” patch. I usually play as commander now I keep getting ejected over extremely trivial things like: not having a mic and not building specific things early in the game. People also don't follow orders and blame it on you for things not going well. The gameplay changed significantly due to map modifications and game breaking nerfs and buffs. The hitboxes on aliens isn’t great especially for lerks. If you're looking for a decent RTS game, there are better games out there like the total war series. If you're looking for a FPS game, there is counterstrike. However, if you are still interested, I would recommend either getting a mic or playing this with a bunch of friends, otherwise be prepared for endless amounts of frustration Expand
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    Very steep learning curve, but there is so much depth to this game. The blend of RTS and team-based shooter is unique, and it is fantastic. Difficulty and necessity of teamwork weeds out all the young and annoying gamers, there is a real level of maturity to the players in this game. I've never played a competitive multiplayer game where hostility was so pleasantly absent. The community isVery steep learning curve, but there is so much depth to this game. The blend of RTS and team-based shooter is unique, and it is fantastic. Difficulty and necessity of teamwork weeds out all the young and annoying gamers, there is a real level of maturity to the players in this game. I've never played a competitive multiplayer game where hostility was so pleasantly absent. The community is somewhat small, but I selfishly hope it stays that way, because I don't want to see it spoiled. Expand
  25. Oct 23, 2013
    Oh my what a masterpiece. An original concept where players play as either Aliens or Marines. The gameplay of the 2 are very different and both are surprisingly balanced. Wins are traded often. I just can't express how much I love this game.
  26. Oct 1, 2013
    When I log into Steam, it's to play this game! An amazing blend of FPS with RTS, in which you face off as aliens or marines. I've played other multi-player FPS and they just don't keep me coming back for more the way NS2 does. Also, the developers (www.unknownworlds.com) continue to push out patches and new content for free! Also, the developers are very involved with the community andWhen I log into Steam, it's to play this game! An amazing blend of FPS with RTS, in which you face off as aliens or marines. I've played other multi-player FPS and they just don't keep me coming back for more the way NS2 does. Also, the developers (www.unknownworlds.com) continue to push out patches and new content for free! Also, the developers are very involved with the community and keep them well informed on the game and their efforts. The game is also highly mod-able and the developers promote modding. It used to have a steep learning curve, but the developers have since made the new player experience much better and recently included significantly better tutorials. This one is definitely worth checking out! Expand
  27. Sep 21, 2013
    Looking back I was rather unfair to this game, so im re-reviewing it to a 5/10. The matchmaking is a nightmare, but at its core its probably about as good as this hybrid genre can get.
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    I played the original. This is a good game and a good remake. The community sucks and the lack of anti-cheats (full on VAC is not enabled) hurts the game a lot.
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    Great game and a ton of fun with friends. Draw backs are the maps and how same old same old they become which really hurts the game long term. But they are always adding to it.
  30. Sep 4, 2013
    This game is amazing. There is a ridiculous amount of content and especially with the new updates the performance is very good. I don't think i will ever get tired of this game.

I also love how easily mod able it is.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Certainly not for newcomers in the genre; but it’s a blast for hardcore gamers that crave for action instead of the classic FPS mechanics and want matches that last something between a Counter-Strike and Battlefield 3 battle. [March 2013]
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Natural Selection 2 is unquestionably a unique title, but its bar to entry is incredibly high for the average FPS player. For the hardcore strategist, it has its appeal, but its complexity severely limits the enjoyment in matches that aren’t significantly populated by experts at the game.
  3. CD-Action
    Feb 6, 2013
    I am sure Natural Selection 2 will gather a group of devoted fans. After all it’s a good, surprisingly original game. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.50]